Speaker 1: Hello, Texans, welcome to the program.
Speaker 2: As the Texans will take on the Cowboys on Monday night, and it's Thursday. That means we have the General John McClean with us. Of course, John Harris is with us. And it's a weird day because, as we've set you up all week, four game week is different. Today is a Wednesday in football land, but it's a Thursday for us, and that's why we have John in here. And we just heard from CJ. Stroud earlier today, Tamiko Ryans. Anyway, let's get to it.
Speaker 1: Let's sink our teeth into Texans Cowboys the next edition.
Speaker 2: As I tweeted out earlier today, a picture of Billy Miller crossing the goal line first touchdown in franchise history, which happened on the first drive of Texans history in general. Is that the prevailing image to you when you think of Texans Cowboys or is it something else?
Speaker 3: No, the prevailing image for me. And I'm writing about this for Houston Texans dot com. It'll be up on Sunday night or Monday morning. I asked to Miko about it this afternoon. Was the Texans fans so loud at Texas stadium, Tony Tony Roman had to go with the silent count. That was the only time I've ever seen that happen with Texans fans on the road. And yes, of course Billy Miller was important, the defining moment for me for Texans Cowboys and this may be my lead. At the end of the game, I was on the sideline, was standing with Bob McNair and Chuck Watson, Chuck being his major minor partner back then, and Chuck was all excited talking about you know, remember don't remember the Alamo, Remember the Texans beat the Cowboys, and Bob sitting there pretty quiet, and then all of a sudden we look across the field and Jerry Jones has been over with both hands on his knees. Dave Campo has bent over with both ends on his knees because Jerry is and right by, fans started chanting, thank you, Bob, thank you Bob, And all of a sudden, the section did it. And then it just started to spread, fans chanting thank you Bob. And I looked at McNair and I said, do you hear that? And he nodded, and tears were running down his face and Chuck all of a sudden shut up and had tears in his eyes, and I started getting teary eyed listening to it spread until it was a crescendo, and then all of a sudden, the TV's run over there and get in front of Bob to shoot him, and I told him I got to get out of here. I can't let anybody see me getting teary eyed. But to know everything that he went through, and to be there with him from the get go, and to have spent so much time talking to him. When I was on the road, he called me about the NFL, What are you hearing? And tell me what he was hearing because he trusted me and knowing how much he put into it. And I remember two people told me in LA all along Houston was going to get the team and I never leave it because I know how much the NFL wanted to go to LA. And one of them was Rich McKay, whose brother JK was on the LA committee and he was telling me that, and gosh, who was the other one. My mind's gone, oh, Bruce Allen. And Bruce Allen was saying that because he had sources on that committee. And Bobby told me that too, because he said he had sources on that committee, and he said the reason was LA can't decide on how to finance the stadium, where to put a stadium where we've got all of our ducks in a row. And I was so happy for him that they were able to win that game because, and this is something else I'm writing, he told me numerous times how much Jerry Jones worked to help him get the team. Now, you would have thought Jerry wouldn't want another team in Houston, but Jerry did. He told me that there were two people of all the people he talked to, two people told him the truth all the time. One was Jerry Richardson, the late owner owner of the Panthers, who was the head of I think the expansion committee, and Jerry and Bob had been friends for a long time. And then Jerry Jones. That's one reason when Bob died and had his tribute here at the stadium, Jerry the McNair's invited him to come down and speak about Bob first. And so I'll always appreciate Jerry Jones for doing that because he's he was influential in the NFL then too, he wasn't looked on as much of a buffoon as he is now because of the fate of the Cowboys, as bad as they are. But i'd the rivalry. Texans need to win this game, of course, and get on a roll. I also have a Colin's gonna run tomorrow in Houston, Texan dot Com. Looking at six four Texans last year, six four Texans this year, how they got there. Last year's team had a three game winning streak. This year's teams lost three of four and came scored in the second half. And I'm looking at the offense, and the offense was so much better at this stage last year than it is now. And I think one of the reasons is they didn't have all these protection issues last year. Wasn't Strouds sacked thirty eight times and already's been sacked thirty five and he's on the pace for like fifty eight.
Speaker 4: Nothing to see here, Yeah, well, there is something to see there, and that's something they got to make a change. We'll get to that in a second. But okay, you guys ready for a couple of numbers. Got our rays transit have gotta be broken in one way or the other.
Speaker 1: All right?
Speaker 4: How many primetime games. Have these two teams played general two?
Speaker 1: Opening night and Sunday night football? And that's it. That's it too, okay. So how many games have they played at noon? Between these two teams? How many games have played at noon or during the day. I think the rest of them were new, all of them. Yeah, who won the prime time games?
Speaker 3: Texans born, both of them.
Speaker 4: Yes, who won the games they did? Yes, they went all the day games, We went all the night games. This one's at night, this one's done. But on the flip side, how many times have we ever won in Arlington?
Speaker 1: None? None, But it's time to break that.
Speaker 4: It's time to break that and keep the prime time streak alive and break the we never went in Arlington sort of things.
Speaker 1: So general to do that?
Speaker 4: What is the is the a number one thing, the pass protection? Or is it something else?
Speaker 5: You know?
Speaker 3: You think the other day, if he had thrown that ball quick or put more juice on it today, we wouldn't be having all of this. They would have beaten the line over correct the moon do when they get down and juice, Scruggs says, old, and Shack Mason gives up his sack. You know, things like that so as bad as they were in the second half on offense, and I've got to look up. Maybe you guys can tell me this so I don't have to look it up. How many consecutive possessions have they gone in the second half without scoring a touchdown? Back to New England? Do you know what i'f off your head?
Speaker 1: I don't know how many possessions?
Speaker 3: Well, I gotta look it up. I gotta look it up because it's going to be part of my story because it's four games worth, right, But I they almost won that game as like It's like Stroud said, he took the blame, but he said, we did go to the wire with one of the best teams in the league.
Speaker 1: They did.
Speaker 3: You lose in Green Bay, Green Bay and Lambeau and you lose on a field goal with no time left. Then you lose a field goal with no time left to a brick salesman. You know, you close, And maybe that should help them in this there's favorite six and a half points and if they're ever going to beat the Cowboys up there, this would have to be the time. Cowboys can't run the ball. Texans run defense is good. They did a great job against the Lions except for one series in the fourth quarter when they got forty seven of their yards. Great run defense, and you know, I just I like, y'all, I'm just mind boggle that intercept five passes, you don't win the game. They're plus I think they're fourth or fifth in the league and turnover differential, and if they keep that up, they're gonna win yin. They should they should win this game. Give them seven. They should sweep the Titans and the Jaguars. That'll be ten, and then you beat Miami maybe here that would be eleven. I need it to beat I needed to be eleven and six is that's what I predicted and when the schedule came out on your website. And but they need to turn around. This is a game that should be a reassurance game, to reassure everybody, fans, media, everybody, Okay, we're back on a winning track. We still have a good team. No time to panic.
Speaker 2: But if you lose, who John the Cowboys are a total mess right now. It's funny because sometimes we talk about, oh, this team's going to be really upset because they lost, well, they've lost four in a row and they continually lose players. Now they've got a couple of guys back Parsons's backland. I guess it's coming back. But still they've lost four games in a row. Now the Texans have lost too in a row. They're not going to overlook anybody. I don't care who they're playing. They're playing Trinity, They're not going to overlook them. But what about Dallas. What is the biggest part of well, the biggest ingredient in this spiral that they're in right now. I know Dak got hurt, but that wasn't that long ago. It was a couple of weeks ago. And they can't run the ball. They didn't fortify the running back position. Is it a salary cap thing where they had to pay Dak? They had to give c D money. There's no money left over cop out.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 3: I'm asking Jerry Jones saying he couldn't afford Garry Henry's eight million a year. Of course he could look at all these other teams to sign players. Forty nine ers are given multi to you know, eighty million contracts to cornerbacks and other players. I just think Jerry Jones and every Cowboy fans say this it's passed his time being a general manager, and now he doesn't make every decision himself. He listens to Stephen Jones, he listens to Will McClane, he listens to Mike McCarthy. Now McCarthy's gone, we know he's gone. Does he want to go after Belichick? Does he want to hire Mike Rabel, Does he want to go after Ben Johnson or another hot assistant coach who wants to go there? Now, of course people want to go there. You got your quarterback, you got your number one team, and the interest and value it's the Cowboys. But he's going to ask some tough decisions about who he's going to hire to replace him. And they're going to get a high draft pick and they need him. They need to three, four to five, a lot of positions. But right now, I think the Texans would lose. I can't say this. I was going to say if they lose the turnover differential, but it didn't make a bit of difference Sunday night. But I still think let's Cowboys score defensive touchdown or a special team's touchdown, or one of them puts them down to the side the five yard line. The Cowboys are not going to move the ball on the Texans defense, and the Texans will score. I just wish Bobby Slowick. I think those early season long field goals by fair Baron made him get more conservative. We get across midfield, now, let's be careful not to turn it over because we know we got three. But it's not fair to ask fair Bear to keep doing that fifty six fifty eight yard field goals. Be more aggressive when you cross midfield. If makes him stop for nogate on first down, don't give it to him on a second Now, I'll throw it to him because he's such a good runner after he makes a catch.
Speaker 2: I was thinking, yeah, CJ. Stroud, I want the ball in his hands one way or in the absolutely. But also that's a tricky situation on third down and fourth and four. Let's just say it's fourth and four and you gotta kick it right there. You have fair Baron.
Speaker 1: You absolutely have to check that ball. But you're right you.
Speaker 2: Wanted it to be a lot closer because you cannot guarantee fifty eight yards.
Speaker 1: I can't. There's no shame in missing that.
Speaker 3: Thisss the only time I've ever said this in fifteen years I know it's coming. John Wikes had to have a snap. I can no longer say he's never had a bad snap in any time in his career because it was high and he took the blame afterward. But you shouldn't be in that situation where you have to kick those all the time. And you notice when they use the bunch formation and they put the receivers in tight and then they load the box with eight and they're running the ball and it's too obvious. So I wish slow it would just, I don't know, be more aggressive. I mean, you know, with Nico back, you will. I think on the first play of the game. If I'm somewhere the first time i get around to thirty or forty, I'm going damn to Nico just to show them we're gonna do it.
Speaker 4: Well, that was gonna be my question, and that is how do things change? Because we talk about and I I think it can be one guy. How much does Nico change the pass protection because Nico gets opened so quickly things you want to get Nico the ball quickly because.
Speaker 1: So good after the catch. That helps your past protection.
Speaker 4: It helps you run game because you can't completely load the box It helps everything. It helps your deep passing game. Just having him back. It's one guy, but general he can have a significant impact. If he is in deep back on Monday.
Speaker 3: Night, well he better be back on Monday night. They're out there talking like he's coming back.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: The fact is two people have to cover and that takes away one from loading up the box when you want to play the run. And just his presence. I'm like you, I think first time, i'd want to throw it to him. If you're say it to twenty of the twenty five, throwing the slant, let him, let him break some tackles. But boy, when you get up around the thirty or the forty, launch it like well like they did on the play got hurt? Was that sixty seven yards?
Speaker 1: Seven yards? And do it like that?
Speaker 3: Cowboys know it's coming. You know he's and and you know you still Tank has done really well. It dropped a couple of passes, but and and Dalton Schultz got involved in the passing game there at the end. They got to get him involved in the in the uh when they get in the red zone. He had five touchdowns this time last year Tank had seven. And but you think about if Niko have never been hurt, would that have been a difference in two points to three points in that game?
Speaker 2: In the Green Bay game, getting hurt, you're winning at least one. Absolutely, and me too, and maybe all of them. I don't know, but he's that valuable to this football team. But for both of you, guys.
Speaker 5: C J.
Speaker 2: Stroud, we all listened to him today and he was talking about I've been kind of aiming. I'm paraphrasing here him aiming can start it out. Yeah, now he wants to just let it rip, he said, swing fastballs. Yeah, So what did you think of that?
Speaker 1: Related to what he's been going through lately?
Speaker 3: I think it's good. You know the touchdown pass. You wish he'd had planted his foot and just rifled it to Tank Dale And uh, but Carlton Davis man, you talk about that kid got burned here last year for three touches and then he has two interceptions. He made a great play breaking on the ball, and I remember last year once I think it was Carolina, CJ talked about he wanted to throw the ball down the field more. Well, the problem with that is, unless it's three step dropping, you launch it. You need a little time, and he hadn't done getting the time and the run blocking was awful. But a lot of that to me was the play calls and the formations. But I think we're going to see a different offense in this game. I think the defense is going to shut down their run because they're terrible. They're next to last in running, like we all thought that would be terrible. They're gonna shut it. Cooper Rush is gonna have to pass. They're acting like they'll have some formations for Trey Lance to come in. It wouldn't surprise me if Trey Lance doesn't come in as a quarterback, because I think they'll do a good job against Rush.
Speaker 4: I think with CJ the point of him saying, yeah, it's not so much John Daily gripping, but there has to be some of that kind of bravado as you play that position. He knows that, and I think what he would tell you, I'd like to know the throat to tank that we've talked about. I've talked about it a bunch. I think that play changes the entire game course and that was one in which I don't know why he didn't throw it sooner, and then when he threw it. He did kind of look like he aimed it in there. And that's one of the things that you can see on a quarterback. And when he starts aiming the football a quarterback, that's just CJ. You know you've got him because he's trying to make that pinpoint throw and he's like, God, that just finesses it, and the like, No, you got to reach back and find the fastball a little bit. Even the throw to metch You, Like, I've seen that throw of metch You a few times and it was a great there's a great throw. There's a great throw. But that's one that I think CJ in the past would probably rip it a little bit more. Ok, that one seemed to have. That was more forefinger, that was more for steamed fastball to do seam fastball, right, And I think he's saying, look, I got a two seam fastball that's as good as anybody. I gotta throw it. He's right, He's definitely right. There's no doubt about that. So general, let's take that and transition into this question. There's a guy that probably has as good as you seating fastball as there is anywhere that we've ever seen in the NFL, but he got bench for a couple of games. Now he's coming back. Anthony Richardson is back. What does it mean for the Colts doesn't matter.
Speaker 3: I don't think it matters. You know, Flacco was bad. People think he's finally hit the wall at thirty nine. And I'll wonder how much Jim Irsey was involved in the original decision, how much he's involved in this decision, or maybe they went back and said, if we're going to lose, we got to be learning, and he's got to be learning. So I don't think after two three games off that he's going to have all of a sudden it's going to be smooth sale. He's only started ten games in NFL and thirteen in college. Bow Nick started sixty in college, and so he's going to be like a roller coaster up and down. And they just got to learn to live with it, and hopefully next year he'll show a lot of progress. Back to CJ. It's great that he wants to do all these things and he would have been doing them, but the pass protection is so bad, especially up the middle. You know, you want him to plan his foot and have perfect mechanics and fire the ball, but you can't when people are coming free up the middle. And hopefully the second game Juice Scruggs plays at left guard, he won't have two holding calls. Holdings were not problem for him at center. And Shaq Mason is giving up eight and a half sacks. Hopefully he'll improved. But you know he's he is cognizant of where the pressure comes from. And if I'm if I'm the Cowboys and I'm Mike Zimmer, I'm having Mike Mike Coh Parsons rush up the middle, not coming off the edge.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well he moves around and he's unpredictable that way. And as we say, grip it and rip it for CJ. Mike gut is and we'll talk more about this tomorrow. My gut is, just don't turn the ball over. What was that game against Miami and the David Cully year did the Texans game at five and the Dolphins got four?
Speaker 1: Did we out nine? Yeah, you're right?
Speaker 2: Nine turnover? Did we have one more takeaway than them? And he said you can't. You can't win by turning it over four times, even if you get fun or something like that. That there was a quote like that and it sounded silly. Yet I can say this. If you're turning the ball over and it's ending drives for you, that obviously stinks. They just have to avoid that because I don't think the Cowboys will be able to move the ball on the Texans at all.
Speaker 3: Don't turn it over and you're in the field, turn it over.
Speaker 1: Pawn and play. You know, they'll get the ball for you.
Speaker 2: Probably this defense will they'll be able to take the ball away from the Cowboys and you'll get good field position cash in from there.
Speaker 3: The big question, excuse me, is why can they not score touchdowns in the second half five or six games in four in a row. Why is that any issue?
Speaker 2: It's easy to say they're not adjusting general, but all right, they're not adjusting. They're not adjusting, so they need to adjust. Something happens. They look overwhelmed at times at the line of scrimmage in the second halves of these games, and it's really difficult for CJ to get going and as you said, step into throws and everything, the Jaguars are going to be at the lines. Do we even need to mention this game? It's still Mac.
Speaker 1: Jones, right, yeah, yeah, it's Mac Jones. Yeap, okay, good luckily? Would it matter? Would it matter a little bit? I think it would matter.
Speaker 2: I think I still think the Jaguars have this chance of putting up some points if Trevor's on his game and things are going right and the backs are doing their thing. Bigsby was out last week in that game.
Speaker 1: He left. I'm not sure what his status is this week. All right, So that's that. Would it matter?
Speaker 2: What about the Titans? Anything to say at all about the Titans who entertained the Vikings.
Speaker 3: The number one defense in the NFL, and they've given up more points at this stage than any number one defense in adustry.
Speaker 1: That's amazing. Well, that shows you what total yards means, after all, total yards means absolutely No.
Speaker 2: I think it does mean something because I'm gonna hang on to my number one defense in twenty sixteen for the Houst detection, and my number three defense is twenty fifteen.
Speaker 4: But the numbers matched the visuals, Like you watch a defense and went, oh, yeah, this defense is good.
Speaker 1: Then you looked at the numbers and went, oh, okay, well, yeah's that.
Speaker 3: They're kind of excited that. Will Levis was like sacks seven times, but didn't turn it over, didn't do anything stupid, had two touchdowns, one with seconds left in a blowout, and had a rating of like one eleven. They're looking at baby steps when him and their defense, but the offense doesn't help them at all.
Speaker 1: Oh, this would be a good more likely to happen, but we'll do other ones in the next segment. This is for both of you. More likely to start for his team next year? Will Levis or Anthony.
Speaker 3: Richardson Anthony Richardson, My god, Yes, Levis won't be the starter.
Speaker 1: Starter in Tennessee Chador Sanders.
Speaker 3: They're not giving up unless Dion doesn't want him there. Oh, like he's going to control where shaduer and Travis Hunter both go.
Speaker 1: Archie Manning did it and John Elway's dad did it.
Speaker 3: Jack was one player. He's saying he's gonna do it over both of them. Yeah, times change the colts. I think that's the right thing to do. I would never have gotten away from him to begin with. I thought he was so unfairly eviscerated because he told the truth about being tired for one stinking play and in flac of course, gives them no threat of a run whatsoever, and you always have to be aware of that. And the Jaguars. If it wasn't for the Jets, would the Jaguars be the most disappointing team in the league.
Speaker 2: I think, you know what, because of the Jaguars playing where they play, they'll never get too high or too low on the hot take meter on.
Speaker 3: The national Were them to be a wildcard team, yeah, then they put it out.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Bal Doug Peterson's a Super Bowl winning coach. Now he's going to be out of work.
Speaker 1: Okay, what about Chris Ballard?
Speaker 2: Is he going to be out of work because you pick a quarterback again and it's work out again. And look, I like him, but pressure is pressure and ersay is ersa. I'm not sure what he's going to do here.
Speaker 3: I think I think Chris Ballard will keep his job, and I think Anthony Richardson will be inconsistent, but they won't get rid of him, and they'll bring them back. You know, they spend a lot of time resigning their players instead of going and getting other players. And that's good for the guys on your team to see that. But Richardson is just so inconsistent and I'm guessing Doug Peterson's going to be gone. If I'm a head coach, I would rather go to Jacksonville than the Jets or the Giants or there's no pressure whatsoever. And Trevor Lawrence, I mean there's a reason everybody said he's a generational quarterback that you could still a good coach can get it out of him. I would think that would be a good job as opposed to like working for Aaron Rodgers, which is what I don't know who'd want to go there. Well, I think Grabele might end up with the Cowboys.
Speaker 5: You never know.
Speaker 1: He'll he'll definitely be in demand and then.
Speaker 3: They'll get as because he's got to have a running back.
Speaker 1: Yep. General, what do you have going on in Houston, Texas dot Com?
Speaker 3: You mentioned a couple of Friday, I will have a column on UH Texans offense at six and four this year compared to six and four last year, and then Monday, I'll have one with my best memories of the Texans and Cowboys rivalry, starting with Jerry Jones helping Bob get the contract and Bob rewarded him by sticking it.
Speaker 1: Up his UH but okay on opening night September eighteen.
Speaker 3: Thank you guys very much.
Speaker 1: I kind of got more likely to happen.
Speaker 2: We've got questions and Johnny's got answers, Nico mix in AFC South teams, other stuff. It's Texans Radio. Okay, great to have you listening here. Thursday night football coming up. But first John Harris sticks around and we do the game that we he loves so much more likely to happen. All right, Johnny, you ready to go.
Speaker 1: Let's do it. I love this. It's been a little while.
Speaker 2: It's been until we've done that, so it's more of an off season thing, but I like to bring it around during the season on occasion more likely to happen.
Speaker 1: Let's get to the first.
Speaker 2: One, shall we more likely to happen Nico Collins gets to one hundred receiving yards or Joe Mixon gets to one twenty five. I'm not gonna go with the century mark for Joe. I'm gonna say one twenty five. Dallas has been giving it up on the ground lately, so Mixon has a good opportunity here.
Speaker 1: What do you think, Johnny? Hmm? I like this one.
Speaker 4: I feel like Nico. Okay, Now, a couple of things. First of all, I want to make it really clear. You and I last week never said Nico was playing, right. We never said he was playing never. In fact, I was the one that said, I know how this is going. Yeah, And I had no incident from I just knew the way that it was going. I'm glad you brought this up. One second.
Speaker 2: This is why people need to listen to Texans radio. We told you basically last week he was unlikely to play based on the fact that he was out for four games. He came back for one practice, you think he's good to go for Sunday night, And then people were telling me, oh, he's got to go. He practiced, blah blah blah. No, you want to ramp him up. This is serious stuff. The bigger games are coming up down the stretch anyway, going absolutely.
Speaker 4: And make that clear, because I just happened to be listening to Sean Seth this morning and they were talking about it, and I was like, man, I was not.
Speaker 1: We did not say that. We did not even suggest.
Speaker 4: In fact, when people would say, hey, just off to the side, Nico playing, I would be like, no, yeah, I mean this is what I think all along.
Speaker 1: And it really came true.
Speaker 4: So we're hoping, hoping that Nico does in fact play against the Cowboys on Monday Night. And if he does, I think Nico getting to one hundred. I think Joe gets over one hundred. But man, what twenty five is such a tough number to get to put it there, you know, that's so hard to get Like Vegas, I think they're gonna try and get Nico involved.
Speaker 1: I don't think he will be any kind of decoy.
Speaker 4: I think he's gonna end up making a big chunk play that takes up a decent chunk of that hundred.
Speaker 1: So I'm going Nico over one hundred.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because Nico could go for like fifty five on one match, right, and then piece it together the rest of the way.
Speaker 1: Ye, Joe won five.
Speaker 2: You're right, that's a bigger threshold to pass, and that's why I put it there.
Speaker 1: Let's get to the next I'm likely to happen, all right, more likely.
Speaker 2: To finish in last place in the AFC South, the Tennessee Titans or the Jacksonville Jaguars.
Speaker 1: Hood you got now set it up for you.
Speaker 2: The Titans are two and seven and they'll take on the Vikings this week then of course here at at RG Stadium playing the Texans, Washington, Jacksonville, Cincinnati, Indy Jacksonville and the Texans again, and the other team in this mix would certainly be the jackson Bill Jaguars.
Speaker 4: I think that it's going to be the Tennessee Titans. Okay, It's what I've felt all along. It sounds as if Trevor Lawrence is gonna be ready for our game after their bye. So the Jacks have got this week at Detroit, then they've got the bye week, then they've got us so in Jacksonville. Yeah, I think that's an opportunity for Jacksonville at that point. Maybe not not to beat us, they're definitely I don't think they're gonna beat Detroit with Mac Jones, But I like what the Jaguar schedule looks like for them.
Speaker 2: Tennessee the Jet after US, Tennessee on the road, the Jets at home, Raiders on the road, Titans at home, Cults on the road.
Speaker 4: I feel pretty good about that for them, so as opposed to Tennessee, which I just don't feel good about Tennessee at all. I don't think Tennessee has good vibes going whatsoever. They already had their bye week. They came out of there by losing four to five. Yeah, only when they got was one against the Patriots, which they had to go to overtime wents they probably shouldn't get. They still got the Vikings US twice, Commanders Bengals, and then Colts Jaguars. It so I think Tennessee's gonna end up finishing in last place.
Speaker 2: All right, So Tennessee finishes last. Now, what about the Colts having in total meltdown, because the Jags could win three maybe four possibly if they got hot.
Speaker 1: You'll put that in the air quotes.
Speaker 2: What if they win three more, they'll end up with five and the Colt and they play the Colts again and they beat.
Speaker 1: The Colts, they sweep the Colts, and they both end up with five. That's entirely possible. It is entirely possible.
Speaker 2: And the Colts get sent to third or possibly fourth. That'd be amazing, Listen. I want the sections to be for that. But you know what, I will throw a little private party the Colts finish in la place.
Speaker 4: Especially to me, there was all this offseason talk about, oh wait, you see these cults.
Speaker 1: Wait he is see Anthony Richardson. He's gonna be awesome. Look at the things he can do. It was like a circus act in something. It's like, step right.
Speaker 4: Up and see the quarterback from Gainesville six foot five to forty five.
Speaker 1: He complete passes, Well, it doesn't matter, but he could throw it eighty yards like it was like this Carnival Barker.
Speaker 4: All off season long, coming from Indianapolis. And then you realize, oh, yeah, he's not good at quarterback. Yeah, that's playing that position. So there's a possibility. When you look at the Colt schedule too. We talked about this. They still they got to go to the Jets. They got the Lions, the Broncos, and they got the Titans and the Patriots.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry, the Titans are capable of upsetting somebody, and I hope it's not here at NRG Stadium following the Cowboy game because they still have that defense that can at least slow you down. Yeah, and offensively, Okay, not much to look at there, but it's the NFL, baby, and that's what we always like to point out. Like we said this week a couple of times, the twenty twenty two textans should serve as inspiration for bad teams trying to keep games close, if not pull off upsets.
Speaker 1: Yes, I'm still going Titans in the sun. Okay, let's do that. Still go in there next.
Speaker 2: One please, I'm likely to happen more likely to be the NFC two seed. Okay, the NFC two seed, because the Lions. I'm gonna give them the one that's gonna do it, the one. Okay, if Philly's in second at seven and two. And I talked to an Eagles fan this morning that said, listen, they were terrible at Dallas. I said, didn't they win big? I didn't see that really, I'm just looking at some of the numbers of it. They said, listen, they made mistake after they were not impressive in that blowout win. I'm thinking, well, that's good for the Texans if the Cowboys are that bad. But we can get to that another time. But you have the Eagles in the second seed right now. The three seed is the Falcons tied saying record with the Cardinals.
Speaker 1: Falcons currently have the tiebreaker. So what do you think here?
Speaker 2: The Vikings obviously have a better record than those games, sort of the Commanders, but you got to win your division.
Speaker 1: So when we look at seedings. That's what we're looking at here.
Speaker 2: So is it the Eagles, the Falcons, or the Cardinals getting that two seed in the NFC?
Speaker 4: So, at first glance, I think it's the Eagles because I think the Eagles would with Saquon the way Saquan's playing, Jalen always, can you know, the run game travels.
Speaker 1: I think the defense is getting better.
Speaker 4: I think all those Georgia guys are starting to kind of jive a little bit now. And Cooper Dejan was a great draft pick for them, Quinn and Mitchell was a great draft pick for them. All the draft capital that Howie Roseman ended up accumulating, he then made really good picks with right, Well, it seems that way right now, and so I think that's gonna make them even more dangerous.
Speaker 1: Here's my wild card, no pun intended. What is it? Deer's on a Cardinals? Yeah, well, I was gonna say. Here's their schedule.
Speaker 2: They have Seattle twice, and Seattle's four and five. Seattle to beat anybody, but they're struggling. They have the Patriots and the Panthers, all right, They're at Carolina, the Patriots at home, They're at the Rams. And that Rams home field is not a home field advantage. Talk to Dallas about home field advantage that isn't really one.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 2: The Rams know all about that at their place, and then they finished with the forty nine ers at Arizona. So I think this is a pretty good schedule for the Cardinals on the way out. But Johnny, the Falcons, what is up with them? Because the Falcons are six and four, same record as the Cardinals. They've got the Broncos, Chargers, tough defenses to face, Vikings, then the Raiders on the road. It's Vegas and whatever happens in Vegas stays there, including losses.
Speaker 1: No they don't.
Speaker 2: They go with you and the Giants Commanders Panthers on the way out. So you know, Giants can and Panthers two so called easier games down the stretch. I don't know, Oh, I don't know where to go with this one, but I think one of those two teams could possibly clip the Eagles, because the Eagles always seem like they're one snap away from implosion.
Speaker 4: To me, the Falcons are like a restaurant you've gone to. You went through this restaurant for the first time, and you're like Oh my god. They made this meal, I'm telling you, and you tell all your friends about it. Yeah, you're like, man, y'all have got to go to this restaurant. Let's just call it, you know, Kirko's Grill. You go to Kirko's Grill, and I'm telling you, this restaurant is fantastic. They made me this Jamaican jerk burger that you're gonna love. So your friends go over there, Yeah, and they get really mad at you because they're like, well, wait a second, you told us this place is great.
Speaker 1: This place is garbage. They had a bad day, and they had a bad day.
Speaker 4: The Falcons, to me, are one of those teams that when it has a bad day, it's a bad day.
Speaker 1: There's no reason.
Speaker 4: I know, Division games and all that, there is no reason the Falcons should have lost to the Saints. I don't care if Derek Carr is back or they brought back the reincarnation of Drew Brees.
Speaker 1: I just feel like the Falcons are going to give you up and down. I'm doing my hand with the up and down.
Speaker 4: Yep, you know, I just I can't. I can't buy the Falcons. But what I think the Cardinals are doing. They're the roller coaster that just keeps going up and up and up. Yeah, and just the vibe just watching that game. And I wasn't watching the full thing. I was watching it on red Zone, But every time they kept going back to that game, the Cardinals defense was just all over it. He's the offense. The offense was just getting it done, and I'm like, they've got something. They've got the run game, They've got a sneaky hot offensive line. They got Trey mc broughte at tight end, and they got Maserati mar About at ryde receiver.
Speaker 1: With Michael Wilson, they put it together again.
Speaker 4: Go back to what I just said about Philadelphia Harry Roseman accumulating all those draft picks and then making the right picks.
Speaker 1: It looks like many Austin Ford has done the same thing.
Speaker 4: And he's also getting his quarterback to play at a high level in conjunction with all those draft picks that they've had that are panting out in Arizona. So from that standpoint, I feel like the Falcons are that team. Nobody's really gonna mention it in this can't quit on the Vikings yet, but I feel like Sam Darnold is really pushing the expiration date. Oh, he's really pushing.
Speaker 1: He's pushing it.
Speaker 2: It's like, you know what, the milk, as long as it's mixed with some coffee will be there, Okay, but.
Speaker 1: You're getting it close to putting it in the cereal and wasting your cereal bowl.
Speaker 2: How about this for the Eagles Commanders. That's Thursday night for the fall Rams, Ravens, Panthers, Steelers Commanders again, and then Cowboys Giants on the way out. This could get a little bit of a rotten to be a rocky road for them. And they lost to the Falcons week too. So if it turns into a tie breaker with not so Hot Atlanta, Atlanta already has that head to head matchup in their favor.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna say this, I was thinking about this. So are we play Tennessee Jacksonville? Correct? So we play those two.
Speaker 4: We've already finished with the Colts, that'll finish with the Giant, So we have one division game the last four weeks of the year. I feel like the schedules really weird because the Steelers didn't play a division game until this week.
Speaker 1: This is their first division game.
Speaker 4: We'll have all of ours done with just one left to go, which is the most you can have, all right, So at least you can have because you got to have one in Week eighteen. It feels like the way they've put the division games in people's schedules, Like you were just reading that schedule right there, who's at the Commanders, That was the Commander schedule you're reading? It was like three division games those Eagles. Three division games close the year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Commanders, Cowboys, Giants for the Eagles to close the year, You're absolutely right.
Speaker 1: And the other thing is this with the Texans.
Speaker 2: I think the league went, we have to construct this Saturday Wednesday thing with the Christmas Day games, so we want those to be really good teams or at least appealing teams to the nation. And the Texans were piping hot offseason. Steelers are always piping hot with the Ravens and the Chiefs piping hot, so let's get a little mix going. That's why certainly the Texans would have at least one Day Vision game in the final three, but they had to set up that mini round Rock Day between Saturday and Christmas that what Week sixteen and Week seventeen.
Speaker 1: I got one more for you here, and more likely to happen, more likely to happen, and this is most likely.
Speaker 2: Well, actually it's a more likely the best team with a losing record more likely to be the best team with a losing record. I've only got three because we have more teams with losing records than this, But this is the cream of the crop with losing records. The Bucks, the Rams, and the Bengals. They all have losing records. But I think those are all teams that you know you can beat anybody on any day, and I guess you could say that about any team. Bengals are four and six on the year. And let's pull up the Bucks. So they are four and six on the year, they have a bye, and who else did I say?
Speaker 1: The Rams?
Speaker 2: They just lost Monday night an ambush game by the Miami Dolphins. The Rams are four and five.
Speaker 4: So these teams are These three teams are very very similar in one regard, and That's where I'm going with this. They have had or they have tremendous receiving cores, right, but they're all banged up.
Speaker 1: When they've been banged up, they've lost.
Speaker 4: When they've all played together, they play well you know, Pookah and Puka and Cup were hurt and they were loosing, The Rams were losing games.
Speaker 2: That didn't hold for him on Monday night though, because both those guys play they did.
Speaker 1: It's the only time all year really that's kind of held true. That's why I call it an ambush.
Speaker 2: Nobody knew that the Dolphins were gonna be Wait a minute, there's still the Dolphins with Tua.
Speaker 1: This is still possible. Yeah, they kind of are.
Speaker 4: And t Higgins and Jamar Chase, one of them has been banged up or the Higgins has been in and out of the lineup. And then you've got down in Tampa where all the receivers are hurt right now and don't know the status of Mike Evans and Chris Godwin. When those teams all they have the receivers with those quarterbacks Matt Stafford in La Baker Mayfield in Tampa, and Joe Burrow Cincinnati, they're lethal, Yeah they're lethal, but they haven't been healthy enough. And so to me, I think the best of those teams to me, ends up being the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. When Godwin and Evans are both healthy, That to me is the most dangerous crew because I think defensively it's the most complete group of those three. Now, the Rams front is really good, really good. A lot of young guys fist Verse Byron Young, Kobe Turner, those a second, first year, second year guys. Secondary is starting to come around a little bit. Cameron Kinchen's a rookie at safety, has been really really good. But the Bucks from from the front to the back, they're pretty good.
Speaker 1: How about this. They just can't stay healthy. Receivers killing them.
Speaker 2: They've lost four in a row, Ravens, Falcons, Chiefs, forty nine Ers. Yeah, tough teams and all close games, right, close games. Well ten to the Ravens, but everybody gets banged up. They lose to the Falcons by five, Chiefs by six yea and nine by three, and Chiefs went overtime, and they're battling John Ye without those receivers.
Speaker 1: And the forty nine Ers are the last play of the game.
Speaker 4: Baker has made some I mean they're down twenty to seventeen the other day to the Niners. It's fourth down, they're in their territory. They got to go for it.
Speaker 1: I don't think they have any timeouts.
Speaker 4: Left Baker's got Nick Bosa with both hands on his like forearm. Baker continues to drag him basically and throws the ball to a Shot White for a first down. Then he gets them all the way down in close. They can't put it in the end zone. They have to kick the field goal for the tie, and then Jake Moody finally makes one. The Niners should have probably won that game outright. But still the fact that he pulled off that drive with those receivers and they're in one of them that anybody knows absolutely, not one Trey Palmer. You on who Trey Palmer is? Nope, not Shot White running back? You knowing no, because you have fan on your fantasy team. He brought them all the way down to me. Baker has been fantastic. He's just run into a buzz on the last four weeks.
Speaker 1: All Right.
Speaker 2: Final thoughts on practice next plus Houston Methodist minutes, foot injuries, they plague athletes.
Speaker 1: Do you have something?
Speaker 2: We have a Houston Methodist doctor coming your way as well. It's all happening here on Texans All Access.
Speaker 1: All Right.
Speaker 2: Final segment on Texans Radio tonight in advance of Thursday Night Football Washington and Philly.
Speaker 1: That should actually be a good one.
Speaker 2: No effect at all on the Houston Texans, but fun to watch NFL football on any occasion. I am still not totally into the app format though I like it when I'm watching it, But then if I want to flick around to other channels, like there's another college game going on, there's NBA stuff going on, there's college basketball. Now, I can't flip around without exiting the Amazon app. And I think we all have that problem. I'm a flipper, all right. During commercials, I like to flip around, maybe halftime whatever. So the watching experience while on the game is fine, and we could argue about al Michaels, Kirk, Herbstreet, whatever. But while I'm watching a game, I'm okay. While I'm wanting to flip around to channels, I'm not okay. And the post game they are trying to figure out some real groundbreaking stuff. The Nicky Glazer appearances have been controversial. I think some of the jokes were funny, but the first time nobody wanted to laugh because it was awkward. The second time laugh track. We'll see how they developed that as we move along here, moving along into Texans practice. As you know, Nico Collins was out there. It was good to see him. Will Anderson not out there, Kamari Lassiter not out there, Derek Stingley Junior not out there. So we'll find out as the week progresses. And we are only starting the week for the Houston Texans as far as practice goes, because as we all know, what is happening is Monday night football. So that's game week Sunday. Today's game week Wednesday, even though it's Thursday. Don't get me started, but do get me started on Houston Methodist Minutes with doctor Jason Auero talking about foot injuries.
Speaker 1: Doctor, how's it going.
Speaker 5: I'm doing well, Mark, thank you for having me on.
Speaker 2: Well, thanks for being on. Let's talk foot injuries. And as I say that, it's funny in sports sometimes a coach you'll say, this guy's got a foot, this guy's got a hand. Well, a foot injury obviously is the meaning there. What is the most common foot injury that athletes get?
Speaker 5: You know, I think in contact sports like this, I mean we're you know, most common injuries are going to be sprains of various joints, whether it's in the midfoot, such as what we call a lisprank sprain, which is a injury, ligamentous injury or dislocation in the midfoot. Also, a turf toe injury is also very common, which is basically a hyper extension or hyperflexition injury to the big toe that results in a sprain of that joint capsule. Both of those could be very debilitating to an athlete.
Speaker 1: All right, what about planter fascheitis.
Speaker 5: So, yeah, that's one of the more common ones, and both athletes and spectators alike, I think, you know, it's probably one of the most common things that I see come into the office, and really planto fasciitis is an inflammation of the fascia that lines the bottom of our foot that connects from our heel out to the toes. It's important for kind of support of our arch and with every step we take, that fash is under a lot of tension, and over time people can develop develop micro tearing and inflammation within that fashion, which results on a lot of pain. People get up when they wake up in the morning, get out of bed, they feel, you know, first step pain, and you know, and athletes it tends to persist, you know, you know, it's the beginning of practice. Sometimes we'll have a period of time where it warms up and it's better for a while, but then you know, after practice or game, it tends tends to inflame again, and so it tends to repeat itself.
Speaker 1: So what's the best treatment for that? Because I know it takes a while to go away.
Speaker 5: It does, it can be very chronic, and I think it's it's really important that anybody that has this is doing a daily stretching program, So working on both stretching the calf must lature and the achilles tendon as well as stretching the planner fashion. I think daily icing of the planner fashion also helps. You can take a water bottle, stick it in your freezer and then put it on the floor and basically roll that underneath your arch to do kind of an ice massage. Anti inflammatory medication Adavila leive. You know, those things are also helpful, you know, for people that are not responding to those things. You know, you know, sometimes surgery is indicated, but most of the time this is a self limiting condition. Ninety percent of people this will resolve on its own. It's given enough time.
Speaker 2: There's doctor Jason Awero of Houston Methodist. It's the official healthcare provider of the Houston Texans. Logout to Houston Methodist dot org for more information Houston Methodist Leading Medicine. There's doctor Jason Awero of Houston Methodist. Houston Methodist dot org the official healthcare provider of the Houston Texans. Houston Methodist Leading Medicine. Tomorrow Big Show Assistant coaches are going to meet the media and we are scheduled to catch up with Special Teams Coordinator Frank Ross, among other things happening on the program.
Speaker 1: Can't wait. Have a great night, Go Texans.