Speaker 1: I lost the family I was born into when I was just a kid. But I was lucky enough to find a new family in a life.
Speaker 2: Can't catch me.
Speaker 3: Now, go on to bet Bro, I Win and his little brother. I'm gonna tell you.
Speaker 4: Whatever, those gangly ass selects of yours are an unfair advantage.
Speaker 5: Why don't you gonna see if mom needs her getting dinner?
Speaker 6: Why can't you go home and help?
Speaker 4: I've got other ways of pitching it, mad He's got to pointy, lie, he does always end up with dinner duty. We're gonna need a head chef when we open up our restaurant, right, I'm just.
Speaker 5: Playing the long game. We got it all planned out. You don't manage the place since you already know the business and everything, and you'll be doing what curating the vibe?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 5: Why don't you sound stoked?
Speaker 2: You're not backing out on me?
Speaker 3: All right?
Speaker 6: I just don't know if I can do the restaurant thing.
Speaker 5: I know it won't be the same as taking over your family's joint, but it could still be sick Bro.
Speaker 4: Maybe you and Maddie can be business partners. Probably be better off without me, Now, that's just stupid. Whatever we end up doing We're doing it together.
Speaker 7: You feel me?
Speaker 6: Yeah, I feel you? Thanks man, any time.
Speaker 3: There you are.
Speaker 6: Hey, Dahlia's good.
Speaker 4: My parents are going to be out until late.
Speaker 5: You want to come over?
Speaker 6: Sorry, I have plans with the Lias.
Speaker 5: Seriously, you know what they say, bros.
Speaker 4: I would have finished that cents if I were you.
Speaker 6: Let's do something tomorrow. Just hear me. All right, Fine, you're lucky, you're so cute. So what are these plans of ours? Sorry, I just needed a cover story. Oh shit, don't.
Speaker 5: Tell me you got another girl on the side.
Speaker 4: Look, I'm just trying to take things slow with Dahlia. I don't want anything happening to her. You know that should always happen to the people I care about.
Speaker 5: You don't really believe that, Niko, what happened to your folks was an accident.
Speaker 6: You love me like blood, don't you?
Speaker 4: So?
Speaker 6: If you were a cursed I'd be a honor.
Speaker 3: Seriously, I guess you.
Speaker 5: Down to hit ups some tourists later. Mom got her hours cut, and I'm sure she could use some extra cash.
Speaker 6: Sure, Hey, you know I've always got you.
Speaker 3: As a family.
Speaker 1: We had to find ways to make hands met, even if it meant getting a little creative.
Speaker 3: Sometimes. We never mugged. We didn't need to.
Speaker 1: There were plenty of other ways to get to their money.
Speaker 4: Those two, sure, yeah, they're obviously lost.
Speaker 3: And look at those designer suitcases.
Speaker 4: I'm sure they'd be happy to throw some money at us to get them wherever they're going.
Speaker 3: Okay, I trust you.
Speaker 6: What are we doing.
Speaker 5: We're gonna hit those tours off for some cash.
Speaker 8: You were going home?
Speaker 4: Come on, you never let me out.
Speaker 6: Just let them tag along.
Speaker 4: Maybe we can kilt them into some extra money if we have to run like handled those Hey, fine, just let.
Speaker 3: Us do the talking.
Speaker 9: God, I'm kidding me, honey. Why don't we just find a cab?
Speaker 2: You see any cabs around here.
Speaker 4: You're the one who wanted to come to this ramshack a little rock.
Speaker 9: I would have preferred the buddy.
Speaker 6: Excuse me, y'all to need some help.
Speaker 2: We're fine, are you sure?
Speaker 5: Because you see them kind of lost?
Speaker 6: Just keep walking, very be nice. They might be able to point us in the right direction.
Speaker 4: It's easy to get turned around on these side streets, but we can help you.
Speaker 3: You don't come any closer, all right, It's cool. I'm just trying to help.
Speaker 2: Yeah, trying to get close enough to pick my pockets. You think I'm an idiot.
Speaker 3: Please don't make a scene.
Speaker 4: We were just gonna offer to help you to get to your hotel or whatever.
Speaker 2: For a small fee.
Speaker 3: I'm sure.
Speaker 5: I mean, I wouldn't say no to a tim.
Speaker 4: Let me help you get your suitcase, ma'am?
Speaker 3: What the hell you? I told you to stay back, put.
Speaker 4: The gun away?
Speaker 10: Hey, you crazy bro, It's not that serious.
Speaker 7: I'm sorry.
Speaker 5: Hey, man, don't point that at my brother or what you.
Speaker 11: Think anyone's gonna miss a few little punks like you too.
Speaker 12: Get behind me, right, stupid.
Speaker 4: You don't even know how to do with.
Speaker 6: Elias.
Speaker 3: What did you do? I don't know. It just went off.
Speaker 7: But are you all right?
Speaker 2: You motherfucker?
Speaker 1: Stay back or I'll shoot.
Speaker 3: Get off me. That's so tough, now, are you wait?
Speaker 8: I'm sorry, Get off of me.
Speaker 9: Stop it.
Speaker 3: You're done, kid, I'm.
Speaker 7: Not a kid. Stop it. You're gonna kill it. I'm gonna call it.
Speaker 4: It's okay, it's okay, You're gonna be fine.
Speaker 9: You have to do something.
Speaker 3: Eco get out of here.
Speaker 6: I'm not just gonna leave you.
Speaker 5: You know they're gonna find a way to blame you.
Speaker 6: Well, this should it?
Speaker 4: It's all my fault, Eli, Eli, Okay, just just apply some pressure, Maty. I'm gonna go fight some help.
Speaker 1: It was my idea to approach those asshole tours, my idea to let my taale tag along.
Speaker 3: They trusted me, and I betrayed them both.
Speaker 2: Hey, what's going on over here?
Speaker 7: Meg? Live me?
Speaker 1: It wasn't the panic that sent me running away that night. I wanted to put as much distance between me and Mateo as I could.
Speaker 3: It was the only way to keep him safe. So I thought.
Speaker 1: Mateo had every right to hate me for getting the lives killed. Should I hated myself too, But I never thought I'd had to face his anger again.
Speaker 9: Underwater, Episode three, The.
Speaker 2: Dance Long Time, No see Damn.
Speaker 3: Some welcome committee you put together for me?
Speaker 2: How you liking Thistino?
Speaker 3: I knew you had eyes on me.
Speaker 13: It's a small island, people talk. What are you doing back here? I just enjoying the ambiance and find that hard to believe. I'm here on business, Mateo?
Speaker 2: What kind of business?
Speaker 3: I can't get into it?
Speaker 9: Hurry up, Mateo, I don't want to hang around this guy too long.
Speaker 3: Just let me handle this.
Speaker 13: You know, I've had a lot of time to think about what I do if I ever laid eyes on you again.
Speaker 1: Listen, you don't want me here, and I don't want to be here. Just give me a few days to wrap this job and you'll never have to see me again.
Speaker 13: I don't remember you being especially good about keeping your word, Nico.
Speaker 3: I'm a different man now, MATEO.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, sure.
Speaker 7: Look who I found you?
Speaker 9: When do you go?
Speaker 3: Hey? Hey, babe, babe, I just go with it.
Speaker 1: Please excuse me, boys, but I promise this a lovely woman a dance?
Speaker 3: Shall we?
Speaker 9: Yeah, honey, let's go.
Speaker 6: Can't avoid me forever, Nico, Uh, you do have fun.
Speaker 10: I'm I'm just gonna go and find Elena.
Speaker 6: Yeah. How are those guys?
Speaker 3: Some old friends?
Speaker 9: They didn't seem too friendly.
Speaker 3: I'll explain everything, like I promise, But right now, I just need to dance with me, all right?
Speaker 7: All right?
Speaker 9: What you're waiting for them?
Speaker 3: It's pretty crowded out here. We might have to get a little closer.
Speaker 9: How close? Exactly like this? This is pretty much the opposite of you giving space.
Speaker 1: You know, I'm sorry, but you you're helping me out in a tough spot here.
Speaker 9: I can give you one song.
Speaker 3: I appreciate that. How are you? I'll come here?
Speaker 7: Let me love.
Speaker 9: Since I've got you here, there's something I wanted to tell you that I know why you're here, Nico. Yeah, you just couldn't wait another day to shoot your shot with me again. I get it.
Speaker 10: I know.
Speaker 3: Can't you blame me?
Speaker 9: I mean, look at you, You clean up good yourself.
Speaker 3: I'm just glad I got your attention?
Speaker 9: Is that all you want from me tonight? Nico? My attention?
Speaker 3: Why don't you give me another chance and you can find out.
Speaker 9: Listen, there's something you should know about me, Nico?
Speaker 3: What's that?
Speaker 9: I don't do second chances? Hey enjoyed the party? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Where you? You can't be doing this? Ana?
Speaker 9: Man, that was brutal.
Speaker 3: Thanks for the pep talk.
Speaker 9: You want a pep talk? No, no, no, I've gotten to know Anna pretty well these past couple of weeks, and I can tell you one thing. Game alone is not gonna work with this one. If you want it to open up, you gotta go first.
Speaker 3: What do you mean?
Speaker 7: Ah? Come on?
Speaker 9: I can tell you've got a big bleeding heart underneath all that armor and those rock hard pecks. Just let it shine through and loosen the fuck up. Man, This is not a matter of life or death. It feels like you might be now, if you'll excuse me, I'm gonna go find myself a dance partner, your ex girlfriend, maybe.
Speaker 3: Be my guest, do your thing, always do.
Speaker 1: I don't know where drove on all the way that night, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't messed up.
Speaker 3: Too, and not just because of my tale. And it's guys.
Speaker 1: When Anna and I were dancing, I lost track of where the act ended and my actual feelings for her began.
Speaker 3: It threw me. I couldn't let that happen again.
Speaker 13: I had a lot of time to think about what I do if I ever laid eyes on you.
Speaker 4: You love you.
Speaker 6: I don't remember you being especially good about keeping you work pick.
Speaker 7: Up mm hmmm.
Speaker 13: Mm hmm.
Speaker 3: Morning boss, did you just wake up? Yeah? Last night was a late one, so you're on track?
Speaker 12: Then?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah? On and and I spend a little time together. I don't think I'll have any issues meeting the deadline, but I do think I can maneuver the situation a little better if I knew exactly who she was to you.
Speaker 8: That's above your big grade. Anything else to report?
Speaker 1: I did run into Mateo, and and as you can imagine, he wasn't happy.
Speaker 12: To see me, All the more reason to hurry up.
Speaker 1: I don't know what Matteo's capable of what he might try to pull while I'm here. The entire island knows what I did to him when we were kids. Don't you think I need some backup?
Speaker 8: Let's get one thing straight. You don't tell me what you need. You need to do what I tell you.
Speaker 3: I understand, but I don't think it's not.
Speaker 8: If you're still fucking talking back to me, you should be grateful that I gave you this assignment at all.
Speaker 12: After the shit you pulled in Chicago.
Speaker 3: Come on, boss, those were extraordinary circumstances.
Speaker 8: I'll fucking I sent you to collect a simple payment. You sent five guys at the hospital and one to the morgue.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well it fucked me up just as much as I fucked them up.
Speaker 12: What did I say about back talk?
Speaker 3: I need you to be sharp, I am Marcus.
Speaker 12: Then act like it.
Speaker 8: No more whining, no more excuses.
Speaker 12: Just do your fucking job. You hear me?
Speaker 3: Yes, sir?
Speaker 12: Good? Now forget about your old palsd story focus on getting on or.
Speaker 7: Back here.
Speaker 3: And Nicholas, yeah.
Speaker 12: Don't let her get away.
Speaker 10: Hey, hey, hey man, gosh, wow, you don't look it's so hot.
Speaker 3: There you go. What the hell did I tell you about sneaking up on me?
Speaker 10: I didn't realize knocking on your door counted as sneaking up on you.
Speaker 3: I'm sorry, I'm just a little on ash.
Speaker 6: You know, we have massages and shit here, right.
Speaker 3: You should look into that? Is that what you came here for? You give me spa recommendations, just seeing if you needed anything.
Speaker 10: But just so you know, I spotted our mystery women heading down to the lounge on my way over here. You know, in case you want to patch things up. I know you got your lines crossed at the party last night, but the course of true love never did run smooth.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna need everybody to cool down with the love talk. It isn't like that. It can't be.
Speaker 10: All right, all right, But methinks the Laddy doth protest too much?
Speaker 3: You feel me? No, thanks for the lead. It's my pleasure. I love love.
Speaker 7: Mm hmmm.
Speaker 11: Mm hmmm.
Speaker 2: Mm hmm.
Speaker 9: Good morning, mister Alexander.
Speaker 3: Anything I can help you with. I'm a good Sebastian. I'm just gonna check out the lodge for a bit.
Speaker 8: Oh well, I'm afraid we don't start serving lunch till noon.
Speaker 3: But you guess not what I'm here for.
Speaker 14: Oh you helloa.
Speaker 7: Again the world save this na for me.
Speaker 3: Your heart gets broken to me from mysel last for nis.
Speaker 7: Knowing the money.
Speaker 3: You know where?
Speaker 7: Well the last.
Speaker 9: I didn't realize I had an audience.
Speaker 3: Didn't realize you were a professional musician.
Speaker 9: I'm not, really, I just play for myself. My mom's the real talent.
Speaker 3: Well, she must be pretty amazing.
Speaker 9: Then she's the greatest. Not a brag or anything, but she's actually kind of famous, Well Island famous anyway.
Speaker 3: What's her name, Jay Thompson? Jay Thompson is your mother?
Speaker 9: You've heard of her then?
Speaker 3: Of course. I mean she was like a Whitney growing up here.
Speaker 1: I think maybe you could pull a couple of strings and get your boyd in autograph.
Speaker 9: Afraid not. She passed away a few months back.
Speaker 3: Oh shit, I'm so sorry. I had no idea.
Speaker 9: Yeah, no, it's okay. It didn't make the news in the States. She never broke through there the way she hoped to.
Speaker 3: Well, that's a shame. She had something real special, kind of like you.
Speaker 9: Usually i'd say you were full of shit, But I could use a little encouragement at the moment. There's going to be a memorial concert in her honor in a couple of days. The organizers asked me to perform.
Speaker 3: But is that why you came here?
Speaker 9: Now you know my secret?
Speaker 1: Well, something tells me that there's still plenty more secretus where I came from.
Speaker 9: Kill her instincts?
Speaker 1: You got there, So tell me, do I still got a shot getting to know you better?
Speaker 3: Or have I used up all my chances.
Speaker 9: I I just got out of a complicated situation. I'm really not trying to get into another one right now.
Speaker 1: Well, I don't see why things have to be complicated. That's My feelings for you are about as straightforward as they come.
Speaker 9: And what might those feelings be?
Speaker 3: Come on, you're really trying to tell me you don't feel the same.
Speaker 9: Way, Niko. We don't even know each other.
Speaker 7: Not yet.
Speaker 3: But spend the day with me.
Speaker 1: We can get to know each other and I can show you exactly how uncomplicated things could be.
Speaker 9: That is pretty tempting, but actually Honor, Honor. Hey, right on, que Sorry Nico, my afternoon.
Speaker 3: Spoken for the guy from the bar. Really, I thought you turned buddy down?
Speaker 9: What can I say? Are we considered?
Speaker 3: What about no second chances?
Speaker 9: That's my call, not yours.
Speaker 2: Hey, you ready to go?
Speaker 15: I booked this a historical walking tour, so sounds awesome. Hey, I'm not sure I caught your name last time we ran into each other.
Speaker 3: It's Nico, and you are about.
Speaker 9: To spend the day in the company of this lovely lady.
Speaker 2: But my name is Gabriel.
Speaker 9: Well, if we've concluded the pissing contest portion of this morning, I'm ready to head out. Fantastic, See you later, Nico, nice to meet you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, likewise, Gabriel, my fucking name is that?
Speaker 11: Do you go?
Speaker 3: Hey, come me on my lunch break. You mind if I join you for a second? By all means won a chip? I'm good?
Speaker 10: Thank you don't seem that good? Yeah, well, I'm just a little worked up about Honor. You didn't patch things up yet.
Speaker 1: Well I thought we're getting somewhere for a minute until that pretentious son of a bitch Gabriel showed up to.
Speaker 3: Take her out.
Speaker 4: No.
Speaker 10: Yeah, look, I've driven that guy before. He's nothing but a yuppie loser. Should be done with it, stuck up ass by the end of the week stops.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I had no doubt. The problem is I don't got that long.
Speaker 1: What do you mean, Well, you know how I told you I was here on the island because of a job.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the truth is honor is the job. Oh shit, and I'm gonna need your help with the next phase of it.
Speaker 10: You got me absolutely all right? Cool, So let's go for a drive. I got a lot to catch you up on, my friend.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 10: Sure, you know, people tell me the best stories when we're driving, and I can already tell that this one's gonna be a real doozee.
Speaker 9: How you holding up over there?
Speaker 15: I should have worn different shoes.
Speaker 9: Oxford might not have been the best choice for a walking tour. Oh my god, that's sounds amazing. I thought so. My mom used to make these when I.
Speaker 12: Was a kid.
Speaker 9: That's the first recipe she ever taught me.
Speaker 15: Oh yeah, what are they?
Speaker 9: Hand pies? Yeah, and they're delicious. Oh, let's grab a few and eat them down by the water. I could use a bite.
Speaker 15: Yeah, I'm gonna eat back at the resort. Not really a street food person.
Speaker 9: Hmmm, suit yourself. Hey, I'll take two. Thank you.
Speaker 6: Enjoy miss.
Speaker 15: So you were you were pretty close with your mom before she passed away.
Speaker 9: Yeah, it was always just the two of us against the world.
Speaker 6: What about your your dad?
Speaker 9: He wasn't come get your handmade jewelry ear rings, bracelets, rings, Let's go see what he has.
Speaker 2: Keep an eye on your purse.
Speaker 9: Wow, did you make all of this?
Speaker 7: Yep?
Speaker 9: My mom taught me how to beat. These ear rings are just gorgeous. I'll take two pairs. You got it. Hey, keep up the good work. I've got a real gift for this. Thanks.
Speaker 3: That was kind of you.
Speaker 15: But if you got the funds to stay at Dastino indefinitely, I guess you can afford to be generous.
Speaker 9: Look at that we managed to cover death and taxes all in one date. M Yeah, I like to get right to the point. Well, thanks for taking the time to plan this. Oh, I don't start saying goodbye yet.
Speaker 3: Come on, the night is still young.
Speaker 9: Actually, I'm pretty tired. I'm gonna turn in once we're.
Speaker 3: Back, so sure thing.
Speaker 15: Yeah, it's just just not before we've gotten to know each other a little better right.
Speaker 9: You know, I think I'll finish my snack here and take a cab back. Gabriel, let me out.
Speaker 6: Of the car.
Speaker 3: I'm afraid I can't do that. Why not because I'm not done with you yet. Let me hit it so motion, did you keep it up? Burdamarana Trojian, Let's save out.
Speaker 7: I'm home, man.
Speaker 1: I know you couldn't wait to buzz a while on Paso.
Speaker 3: That simple, da lucky, This simple as the commis.
Speaker 7: You just well.
Speaker 11: Underwater is an Interval Presents original production with Temple Hill Entertainment and Clamor, starring Jason Derulo and Alexandra Shipp. Written by Katrina Day, directed by Pat Kelly and Chris Kelly. Executive producer Jason Derulo executive producers from Interval Presents, Alan Coy and Jay Kleinberg executive producers from Temple Hill Entertainment, Marty bowen, Wick Godfrey and Alex Addison executive producers from Klamor. Rich Statter, Aaron Hilliard, Adam Reynolds and Alison Chano Executive produced by Katrina Day, executive producer from Future History Frank Harris Special thanks to Henri De Sources Marketing Lead Samara Still, Business development lead Cheffy Ellen Sweg Meggie and Operations leading Serao. Post production audio services by Kelly and Kelly. Sound design and mixed by Paul Teteskini. Dialogue edited by Max Collins. Original music by Genevieve Vincent. Songs arranged by Genevieve Vincent. The cast includes Jason Derulo as an Eco, Alexander Ship as Anna Kerry, Alexander as bank teller and additional voices, Beat Bridgeland as Jordan, Michael Darry as credit reader and additional voices, Anisia Dubois Dahlia and Young Dahlia, Andrew Frankel as stranger in additional voices, Walter Gray the Fourth as male tourist and additional voices, Melissa Greenspan as female tourist and additional voices, Ellis Hunter as Elena, Jeremy Jordan as Gabriel, Josh Keaton as Matteo, Tara Langella as female guest and additional voices, Jonathan Leon as Young Matteo, Donnis Leonard Junior as Elias Parker, James Logi as young Boy, Emily Martinez as Carman, Michael McLoone as Marcus Carla Renata as Bartender, John Carlos Sabagal as Diego, David Shatraw as male guest and additional voices Andre Sigluzzo as Sebastian, Cameron Jay Wright as Young Nico, and Hannah Zamora as Mia. Produced by Lillian Holman, post produced by Justin Scho and Lauren Berkovic. Associate producer Erica Lowie. Music supervision by Melanie Mitchell. Music clearances by Deborah Manis Gardner DMG Clearances Incorporated. Audio engineered by Ian Folgerty and Ed mcinti at Goldvigger's Brett Tuban at the Relic Room and Jordan Sweet at Challie Recording Studio Assistant engineered by Derek mcgrone and Amperorzerti. Vocal coaching by Bianca Blush Atterbury. Casting by Marlice Gussenhauer, Sibby Kersch and Brentagata. Additional casting by Melissa Berger, Brennan, Salem Everett and Scott Forbes at CESD Town. Script supervisor Tamara Black, Production supervisor Lizzie sam Production coordinators Ethan Aronson and Sean Green. Production assistants Chelsea Perry and Samara Malik additional special thanks to Riley Fulsom and Maxim Carlic. Underwater was recorded at Gold Diggers in Los Angeles, California, Challis Recording Studio in Los Angeles, California, and The Relic Room in New York, New York. Make sure to follow Underwater and listen on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Amazon Music, Sirius XM, or wherever you get your podcasts