Speaker 1: What's your best current health and fitness advice?
Speaker 2: Consistency is really I mean there's a lot of them, but consistency is everything, man, because everybody else is just surviving doing the basics. But anybody else was training on a regular basis, they get to have a much more interesting life. They like my wife and I went to Italy and we got on a bike tour for four and a half hours.
Speaker 1: So she's into it too, not.
Speaker 2: As much as me.
Speaker 1: Now I would have loved it. If you're like, no, no, she's morbidly obese. She's just happy as can be, just happy as can be.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she's huge.
Speaker 1: Pasha Tosh Show, Tosh Show Show, Welcome to Tosh Show. We're back. Did you miss us? Eddie? How are you doing good?
Speaker 2: Happy New Year, Happy New Year to you.
Speaker 1: Twenty twenty four sucks already? What happened? I don't. I'm going to talk about gambling for a second. Okay, here are people say like, oh, do you have a gambling problem? You know who doesn't have a gambling problem? People that win, you lose, you lose a bunch, ye, then you get then you have the problem. But it's just that doesn't seem fair. It seems like if you win a ton and you're gambling constantly, that's the problem. Whether you win or lose shouldn't affect it. But the reality is, no one's ever in a gambling anonymous meeting. I just win too much. I gotta find a way to you know, stop this. It's affecting my life, all this winning. Anyway. People get annoyed with bad beats. But this is what I'm gonna say. I don't have a gambling problem. I should know because I've I'm around for almost all my bets, and sometimes I just I call in bets. I have people play them for me. But whatever. So here's the bet that I made, because basically over three days is a five leg parlay. Okay, and I'm gonna tell you the amount. It's not staggering. One hundred dollars. That's an acceptable bet, right. Okay, Here's what I bet, Missouri Tigers barely in the SEC to beat the Ohio State Buckeyes. You get plus one point fifty on that. I say Missouri is gonna do it. Heck of a year. I'm like the buck guys are gonna fall. Easy money. My next bet was the Georgia Bulldogs versus the depleted Florida State Seminoles, who got hosed. But let's be honest, there's no way a third string quarterback I was gonna do any damage in the playoffs, but whatever, I took the over on that. The line was forty five. I think Georgia put up one hundred and seventy, so that was easy. Next, bet Oregon Ducks by sixteen and a half over Liberty. Those Christians. I was like, they're undefeated, but they're Christians and they've got no place in football. Oregon Ducks hammer them. I got that, okay. Then this game was a bit of a sweat. The Alabama Michigan game. Jim Harball versus Nick Saban, Oh who do you hate more? What did I bet? I bet in Michigan. I was like, I hope Michigan can cover one and a half and I got a little lucky in overtime and they did. I got an issue with Harball. I'll tell you about it some other time. Let me tell you now. He once said that any of his players, if they were gonna have their girlfriends get an abortion, that he would rather them just give them the child, and he would raise it and that was insane to me. Like, I just I literally pray at night that thousands of student athletes get their girlfriend pregnant and give their kids to the hardball hardballs and they have to raise them all and then I hope they grow up to be Buckeyes. Now my last leg, Oh man, what is it? It's Washington versus Texas. Texas is favored by four. I bet Texas. Ah. The whole time, I was furious. I see Matthew McConaughey on the sideline, and I'm just I'm just furious, Like I fucking bet the wrong team. You could tell in the first few minutes like, oh, this isn't gonna work. Put that Manning kid in anyway. So I lost because of that last bet. Now, technically, when you have like a big parlay and it's starting to come in, uh, and you're on the last, the last bet, you should go bet the other team, uh, the opposite of your bet to cover your losses if you do lose. But whatever, I didn't do that because I only wanted to win the full amount, which was three thousand, three hundred and fifty two dollars and five cents. And and the first thing you're supposed to do to make sure you don't have a gambling problem. You're not supposed to chase your losses. So what do you think I did? Do you think I bet another one hundred dollars on something else? No, that's that's not that. I chase the winnings that I lost. I put three thousand dollars down on Washington plus covering the over in the National Championship Game. How do you like them? Huh? Yeah, I may, I may have a problem. Whatever, Who cares, none of your business? What I gamble while I'm telling you so, then I guess that makes it your business. How's Aaron Rodgers doing?
Speaker 2: Huh?
Speaker 1: What's he up to? All right? Oh man, you know what I would.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: They're always worried about these these they take. We talk about Hollywood just is infested with pedophiles. Do you guys know any pedophiles? No? No, me neither. I guess That's why I always think it's so funny when people say it, like, oh, you're you're in that Hollywood world. What do you talk? I don't know. Eddie here got two kids, a wife, John back There's got two kids, a third on the way. Everybody I know is normal. I think the problem is people. You know, you live in a big city. You find a handful of people that are normal, and you hang out with them, and if you don't hang out with them, you're the pedophile. I guess I don't know where these pedophile groups are hanging out. Back to you, what you're going to be funny if this list comes out and I'm on it, Oh, that would be awesome? Like what? That's why I never take photos with fans after shows. I don't know which one of you is a fucking pile of shit. I don't want to meet you or talk to you anyway. Any New Year's resolutions, Daniel, I do have resolutions. I don't like to discuss them. They're mainly financial. You know, be a richer husband, be a richer father, be a richer podcast, stuff like that, you know, the important stuff. No, I certainly don't care about my body. That'll never be a resolution. Oh this is the year.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 1: I know a lot of people care about that stuff. But it's already the second week of January, so what's done is done. You'll like today's guest, though he's responsible for getting millions of Doe White dudes who are too lazy to go to a gym ripped enjoy. Pasha, my guest today, created the most popular home workout program of all time. He's a celebrity trainer to countless stars, and yet I still refuse to let him help me. Tony, thank you for being here.
Speaker 2: Pleasure to be here.
Speaker 1: Man. All right, first question I ask all my guests, Okay, Tony, do you believe in ghosts?
Speaker 2: Absolutely?
Speaker 1: God damn it.
Speaker 2: Well only because I've had very close friends experience them in their homes. But you ashtray, automatchel, slid off, came down and shattered in a billion pieces.
Speaker 1: We live in California. Stuff falls constantly.
Speaker 2: Well, all right, maybe my friends are full of shit. I have to get new.
Speaker 1: But has anything ever happened to you or like this is obviously a ghost?
Speaker 2: No? See, Just so.
Speaker 1: You know, I've never had a trainer in my life. I've never worked. I don't work out well.
Speaker 2: And your physical I'm very physical. Yeah, so you get it a different way, right.
Speaker 1: I exercised, but I've never I never know what I would do. I have a row machine. Great, I do that at night while watching like a sport. Aim. That's Stevyard, so I can plow through it. I do intervals and that's it.
Speaker 2: So you figured all that on your own. You didn't need a guy like me or one of my programs.
Speaker 1: Yeah. But here's here's my question to you. I've never worked out. I'm forty eight years old. I think, could my body get uh in six months? Could I get just three months?
Speaker 2: Four months?
Speaker 1: Could I get ripped as shit?
Speaker 2: Absolutely?
Speaker 1: Do I need to do steroids?
Speaker 2: Absolutely not? But should I absolutely not?
Speaker 1: Could I look like Chris Hemsworth?
Speaker 2: That would take longer?
Speaker 1: How long?
Speaker 2: About nine nine to nine months to a year? And I could literally, but you'd be miserable. You'd be so miser sure, because it's not in your DNA.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but right, I would leave my wife and I was just going a tear.
Speaker 2: You'd be something, it would you'd go viral.
Speaker 1: Oh that's a thing. But think that's funny when actors do this, when they like for a role, they get jacked, and then when they go back to not being jack, their bodies something looks off. It's like, oh, you look your body, don't.
Speaker 2: You don't want this world. You don't want to be really fitting that out of fit because a lot of it is psychological and mental too, because you know you're doing you're doing all this stuff. You've got this discipline, you've got this plan. You know, you've got a trainer or whatever method you're trying to get there, and then it goes away, and then you're not the same person that you were. Your personality changes as you go through those massive changes, you know. So I've been fairly fit for almost forty years, so you know, like this morning I worked out. I did twenty four sets of just pull up some push ups with some buddies of mine, and twenty four sets of pull ups and push ups, you know, so twelve and twelve total. How many pull ups did you do? The pull ups today were thirteen pull ups and twenty three push ups. Every single time. The routine's called the Challenge out of one of my workouts. It's easy because it's just all body weight and gravity and you just go as hard as you can.
Speaker 1: I used to do pull ups. I used to do pull ups, but then I don't like that it would put calluses on my fingers.
Speaker 2: Well that's weird, but okay, what do you mean weird? That's who cares?
Speaker 1: You don't care when people shake my hand. I like them to know that I've.
Speaker 2: Never worked my hand. How does that feel? All right?
Speaker 1: Right? How loose I go? That's weird.
Speaker 2: My callouses weren't weird for you, were they?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 1: I mean they weren't weird. But but I feel like that you maybe you've just built up some tolerance. Have you shave your arms?
Speaker 2: I do?
Speaker 1: Okay, I do. I shave everything?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, why do you do it?
Speaker 1: I don't know. I cleanliness, yeah, maybe cool?
Speaker 2: It looks better.
Speaker 1: I mean I leave I have chest hair, but I still but I do. I shave down the arm, not shave the armpits clippers with no guard, so it basically goes away. But it's yeah, and then I.
Speaker 2: Leave the armpits alone. For the most part, I don't like it.
Speaker 1: I don't like it when your arms are down and you see a tough hair.
Speaker 2: Now I don't think I don't have tofts Okay? Yeah. Do you actually enjoy working out most of the time?
Speaker 1: Now? Okay?
Speaker 2: But I like the way it makes me feel. I like it allows me to ski hard and climb well and ski hard snows snow skiing.
Speaker 1: I love skiing. I do too. When you're flying down a mountain going so fast. I think it's so hysterical because like, if something were to go wrong and my body is starting to like roll, it's just I just know that it would just be disaster. Guess what. I still do it every year. I still fly out of control speeds through through woods through I'm just in the trees and I'm like, a few years ago, I hit a tree so hard, snapped it. It was probably only about this big, but snapped it. It was just brutal, and I'm just laying on the ground screaming, going and then but eventually you have to just get up and go down there, get somebody to drag it down. No, I was deep in the woods. Nobody was anywhere near us. And this was this past season.
Speaker 2: Somebody hit me so hard it dislocated the ligaments in my collar bone. Just skiing or punching skin. He just didn't he blindside of me, She didn't see me, and I went down. That was painful. Where do you go skiing? Where do you like to go? I live in Tahoe Which mountain? I mean, I don't want to tell people my home out in Alpine Mine's Jackson Holla, Wyoming.
Speaker 1: Nice.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I love it there great.
Speaker 1: Well, Alpine got read. You know, it's part of Palisades, which got also got which was squad. But that's a derogatory term for a Native American girl, and so and then the locals there they're just like, well, I'm gonna always call it squad And I'm like, well, why why not just say oh, I didn't know that?
Speaker 2: And Okay, if now I'm learning something and I can change, sure.
Speaker 1: I don't have a problem calling it pal I like.
Speaker 2: That's a great name.
Speaker 1: Sure yeah, but you have to turn on squad drive, do you really? I think so? Well, they have a lot of streets to change.
Speaker 4: There's a lot there's that's amazing.
Speaker 1: Where are you originally from?
Speaker 2: Born in Rhode Island, but grew up in Connecticut East Coast?
Speaker 1: How's growing up in Connecticut?
Speaker 2: Okay? Where are you from?
Speaker 1: I mean I lived everywhere, but I Florida is kind of where I moved from. We lived everywhere too.
Speaker 2: My father was in the army and moved.
Speaker 1: My dad would just get fired.
Speaker 2: That was mine too, a little bit.
Speaker 1: Just find a new job.
Speaker 2: And I like that too.
Speaker 1: No, he said he was getting transferred, but I don't know that that was actually true.
Speaker 2: I didn't know as a kid either, that's funny. Yeah, yeah, yes. We moved six times before fifth grade.
Speaker 1: Thirteen times before I was twelve. Damn wow, and countries, like four or five different countries.
Speaker 2: Maybe your dad was a criminal or something.
Speaker 1: I mean he was. He worked for the church. It okay, well for a long time he worked for the church. Then he got into and worked at McDonald Douglas, I believe. Oh, and then he worked for NASA, but human resources. He wasn't a rocket scientist.
Speaker 2: And my dad was a was a plastics engineer, just like the graduate.
Speaker 1: Uh huh.
Speaker 2: He worked for Owens Corning, Fiberglass and companies like that.
Speaker 1: Were you were you physically gifted.
Speaker 2: As a child, not even close?
Speaker 1: No at all. Could you fight? No? Did you ever get in a fight?
Speaker 2: I got lots of fights.
Speaker 1: What do you mean?
Speaker 2: Lots of people beat me up for real? Yeah? Was that just the neighborhood I had at time? It was the neighborhood. It was the kids in the neighborhood. I had a speech impediment which made life difficult.
Speaker 1: What was the speech impediment? May I ask?
Speaker 2: Something called cluttering? Just talking really fast in the world's words, all piling up on top of each other and then the stammering would come. So they would make you know, kids, Oh look there's a flaw. Let's make fun of him and push him around.
Speaker 1: I think I got into comedy because of my hatred of bullies.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, I probably got fit because of it.
Speaker 1: Did you win any of the fights?
Speaker 2: No? No, I did not, not really. I was about to get beat up once and I got really loud and you know, took on a posture and the kid back down.
Speaker 1: Oh.
Speaker 2: I was like this kid, Nick Vancho, wherever you are, buddy.
Speaker 1: Let me tell you about TJ. Miller. No is it TJ Miller a real person that's a comic, all right? Not that guy. This guy TJ. In Saint Louis, Missouri. He was new, moved in and all of a sudden he's like sort of fighting everybody in the neighborhood. He was like it was this was sixth grade. I went to Sparing Middle School and it was like a guy that like read the book one oh one on going to prison, like you just fight everybody day one Anyway, he came up to me in the CAF tire and just punched me in the mouth, and I didn't do anything. And this girl was standing next to me and she's like, well, why do you do that? And I'm like, I don't know, And but I didn't hit him back, and I didn't fight because I didn't want to, like start fighting, because then I would get in trouble. So it's the one time in my life that I really I feel like I was in a fight. I got punched and I didn't do anything.
Speaker 2: Were you in many fights?
Speaker 1: No? No, no, no never.
Speaker 2: That was really kind of the one, huh, which is.
Speaker 1: Weird because I've always like, wasn't afraid to say horrible things to people if I if I felt like I was attacked.
Speaker 2: That's why I used to get in fights. I would say to something, to poke at somebody, right, which was stupid because I'm instigating getting my own ass kicked. But you know, they were just bullies and I felt like they shouldn't get away with it.
Speaker 1: When'd you leave Connecticut nineteen eighty ninety. How old are you?
Speaker 2: I'm sixty five?
Speaker 1: Man? Yeah, man, you look great for sixty five. I guess I don't know.
Speaker 2: You live in La Yeah, you should look good. Lighting in here is great. My wife put the makeup on, and this is who I am.
Speaker 1: What about your hair? You've always mine?
Speaker 2: I have good hair. This is the color that it grows out. I do die this part of my beard though.
Speaker 1: With any work physical reconstruction in your body.
Speaker 2: At all, it is just me. Nothing that purpose.
Speaker 1: You never had the face yanked on her?
Speaker 2: No, yank man. That's why I grow the beard to kind of cover the flaws in there.
Speaker 1: Neck. Don't lie, neck, go a lie.
Speaker 2: Maybe that's yeah, that might get done one of you.
Speaker 1: I don't think they can do it properly.
Speaker 2: Well yeah, well I have a friend whose mom did it. She looks ridiculous. And it's your guy who I want to know who your guy is. But I don't think I'm there yet.
Speaker 1: Is life? Hey? You enjoying it? Or do you are?
Speaker 3: Do you?
Speaker 1: Are you somebody that's always looking back on the past, You're like, no, the best you to come.
Speaker 2: I've had good years. I had twenty years with one company making you know, all my workout programs. That came to an end, unfortunately, and I had to kind of reinvent myself.
Speaker 1: Huh.
Speaker 2: And the reinvention process has been hard, you know, I mean, it's been a struggle, but you know, we've had some more wins than losses, so I feel like I'm very fortunate.
Speaker 1: First of all, So you moved out here in nineteen eighty, oh man, talk about the cocaine.
Speaker 2: There were some, There was some, There were some. There was a lot of weed, and there was a lot of beer, and there was some vodka. But I stopped all that about thirty years ago.
Speaker 1: You moved out to Los Angeles to chase your dream. What was your dream?
Speaker 2: I wanted your life, Oh wow. Oh yeah, I wanted to do stand up and movies and TV and YadA.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I modeled a little, and I did some commercials and I had bit parts and some movies. But I wasn't ambitious.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: I attempted stand up for a couple of years and it was a bear. Man, it was really you know, Oh, let's see Horton. You get eleven thirty and you get there at six o'clock and you're sitting around talking to other one to be comics. I mean, you probably know the drill there and there's four people left in their shit faced and you go, oh my god, here we go, and you get your six minutes and then we'd do showcases, meet about five others, which you know, you'd pack the room with your friends, and a lot of my stuff was very physical and irreverent and probably stuff you can't even do anymore.
Speaker 1: What were some of the odd jobs you took on as soon as you came out to La.
Speaker 2: Well, I was a street performer. I was a kind of an X rated mime. So I'd go down to the Santa Monica Pier. I'd go into Westwood or UCLA and I'd get put my hat out and make twenty five bucks and I'd do that a couple of times a week so I could eat.
Speaker 1: You were an X rayed min.
Speaker 2: Yeah, not always. I mean I did the box and I walked in the wind and all that other stuff. But a lot of it was, you know, imaginary women that were like in front of me and I you know, and there'd be another one and another one.
Speaker 1: It was pretty would people like steer their children away there?
Speaker 2: Yeah, a lot of them would would out on the pier that didn't go well. But like if I did a show right, I'd just play nine inch Nails and I'd turn it up and I'd go crazy and do that.
Speaker 1: Well, a show for what.
Speaker 2: Like showcases like little you know you did be a Monday night and me and my five friends would rent to a bar because it was a slow night, and we talked to the owner and whatever. We would do that, and we'd invite all our friends and we would do our X.
Speaker 1: This is this is interesting here. I didn't even know that was a thing. There was.
Speaker 2: I don't know if it is now, but it was.
Speaker 1: I wonder how much you could make down in Venice right now.
Speaker 2: I always would quit when I had about twenty five bucks. I just couldn't because you're down there. I mean, when you're performing for food to survive, it's not the same as if you know you're just doing it because it's your gig and you're having fun with it. It wasn't fun. It was you put the makeup on. It's ninety five degrees. I got all black on on a vest and a hat and YadA YadA, and most people it.
Speaker 1: Wasn't nice five degrees down in Santa Monica.
Speaker 2: Maybe not in the eighties, no, but no, it never was.
Speaker 1: It's still not not even it's a comfortable eighty two oh man.
Speaker 2: Okay, okay, okay.
Speaker 1: At least you weren't the guy and the silver Yeah, yes, too much, all right? So how did you get into, you know, the whole working out craze of everything.
Speaker 2: So I was at that point one of the many jobs I had. I was a runner over at Fox at PA and I was working for a guy by the name of Harlan Goodman who used to used to be a music guy. And I'm on this, I'm on the lot, and you know, I'm whatever. I'm feeding the cats, I'm hiding the weed, I'm making the coffee, I'm delivering the scripts. Whatever I did. That was my gig. And he was noticing my transformation. He's like, holy shit, man, you look the last three months. You look totally different. Can you help me. I wasn't a trainer. I didn't know what I was doing. I just went to my buddy's garage and he had some dumbbells in there. And so I had trained Harlan and he lost about forty five pounds, and I went, maybe I'm a trainer now, shit. And so I trained him and a few others and then he went back to music because he and Julia couldn't make a movie to save their life. Over at Fox and Tom Petty was walking down the hall and saw Harlan and said, holy shit you this is my Tom Petty. By the way, you look fantastic. I'm fat, I'm going on tour. Can yet help me? So Harlan told Tom Petty to call me.
Speaker 1: Uh huh.
Speaker 2: So Petty calls me up. My roommate, Bob picks up the phone and we had we had buddies downstairs that were jokesters, and and he goes, dude, is somebody downstairs, you know, affing around saying their Tom Petty go hang up. So Bob hung up on Tom and then he crawled back and I went to his house the next day and started training Tom and I had him for four months. He went off on tour. He got ripped and strided and tore all the sleeves off his shirts and everybody went, what the hell happened to Tom Petty? And that was how it got started.
Speaker 1: That's amazing. I'm a fan of Tom Petty. You know, he's a Gainesville guy. He was, yes, rip, Why I just he doesn't strike me as somebody that would have cared about his body.
Speaker 2: Well, because he saw Harlan's big change right in front of him in a Hallway at Easton Management.
Speaker 1: He was like, okay.
Speaker 2: And I went to Tom's house the next day and he put out the cigarette and said, I don't work out. I don't know what am I supposed to do? So I got him a bench, I got him a life cycle, I got him a heavy bag, I got him some dumbells and we just you know, we woul and we would just bullshit and train and he was it was horrible. The first month. He didn't know what he was doing. He was like a noodle, you know. But then he just got into it, you know what I mean. I didn't. I'm not a drill sergeant. I'm not your therapist. I'm just your buddy here trying to help you get through this.
Speaker 1: How long is Tom Petty working out?
Speaker 2: Four months? Now? How many hours we were our hour fifteen every day, five days a week, five days Monday through Friday. Yeah, I was training for thirty two years. I don't know off really. Yeah that's impressive. Yeah, I mean the fact that he wanted to work out confuses me. Well, you know, did you work on his diet and everything? Did you know about that kind of stuff? I mean, I'm not a nutritionist. Endoprenologist.
Speaker 1: I just made mine.
Speaker 2: I made but I was a mind training top better getting him ready for a worldwide tour.
Speaker 1: Right, That's what I'm confused by, Like how did you know how to do this stuff?
Speaker 2: Because I had been exercising for years, you know. I mean I went to World Gym in Venice and there's lou Forerigno and Arnold and I would just like spy on everybody, everybody who looked really fit and lean. And I do my own research too. I mean this is before the internet even existed, So I had to go into the library and get books and read about kinesiology and exercise science.
Speaker 1: And so you're a smart person, Not really, I mean you figure that stuff out.
Speaker 2: I just I thought, oh, this is better than doing mime on the pier. This is better than you know, go go dancing Chippendale. This is better than building furniture.
Speaker 1: This is a chippendale.
Speaker 2: I was a go go dancer, not a performer. I was at a different When the club closed, I'd get in a box about this size and I would dance on the box.
Speaker 1: There's nothing, there's nothing wrong. I don't know.
Speaker 2: I felt like as that came out, I needed to whisper it. I don't know why.
Speaker 1: All right, So this like from the day your agent said, hey, skinny pudgy boy to training Tom Petty was how many years?
Speaker 2: Maybe a year? Maybe only about a year.
Speaker 1: I mean that's impressive.
Speaker 2: Then yeah, yeah, yeah, I mean you know, all right, So did you tell him how to eat and stuff? I made suggestions. I said, hey, look, part of the problem is what you're eating. So the little I know about it is, let's just make a I made a list of the things you should avoid as a and then all the way down to things that were sort of neutral, like yeah, you can have these things once in a while, to just fruits, vegetables, whole grains and lean proteins and healthy fats. So I just gave him a list of foods. And he had his own chef, right, he had his own people. So they were making they made a little shift, and that was part of his success for sure. Living Woodland Hills, up in the hills, looking into the valley.
Speaker 1: How nice was the place it was?
Speaker 2: You know, big long driveway gates, open up a boom, gold records and planting records on the wall.
Speaker 1: I got a short driveway. I have a real short drive So I always hated that about it. The property I went with, No one's impressed. It's like, oh, the gate opens and it's like you can just fit a car on the other side of the gate, and that's not impressive.
Speaker 2: Not as one. No long ones are great, right.
Speaker 1: No one's telling a story about my driveway. Bruce Springsteen, Yes, you trained him, Yes I did. Was he a bitch on leg days?
Speaker 2: That's a great question. No, No, he was into it more than more than I was.
Speaker 1: Actually is that? Is it not fun? If the person despises.
Speaker 2: Oh, I mean I can name names, but holy crap, I mean, you're just babysitting. Sometimes it's brutal for something because you know they well me.
Speaker 1: That's why you would like if I, if I was motivated, I wouldn't fucking need you. It's just here's the thing, you see. You like the way working out makes you feel the end. That's always been my problem. Working out or any exercise where it's just an exercise just makes me sleepy.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, Like I just I just get well, probably because your body reacts that way when it's not used to it. But then you know, then after a while that starts to go away. It goes you go from sleepy to energized, especially if you're adding good warm ups, good cool downs. You're not overtraining, you're not lifting too hard, you're not trying to you know, do you.
Speaker 1: Need to stretch before you work out?
Speaker 2: A lot of people do, some people don't.
Speaker 1: Oh, great answer.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I mean if you're a former gymnast or a or a ballerina, you don't need as much.
Speaker 1: Usually yoga where you're at on yoga all.
Speaker 2: The time, every Friday hour and a half. It's so important.
Speaker 1: How did you come about inventing the P ninety X the whole thing I want to hear about that?
Speaker 2: Well, I had been you know, I was working a little bit. I was working with an order track, going back and forth to minis. I had a show on the Playboy channel called Playboy three sixty where I was the host. So it was a three camera show with with with teleprompters and a co host. So I was learning how to you know, be more comfortable in front of a camera, in front of an audience. All that kind of a thing.
Speaker 1: Did you get to have sex with a playmate in a lifetime?
Speaker 2: There was one that I used to view in college. Who is my ended up being my makeup artist on the show, Like, so here is she's in front of me. But I was dating somebody. I was dating somebody the whole time I worked there.
Speaker 1: So you've never dated a playmate in your life?
Speaker 2: I did?
Speaker 1: I did? Uh huh? Do you like that?
Speaker 2: It was nice?
Speaker 1: Sure? Yeah, you go back to that and you're roll.
Speaker 2: No, no, not that one. I don't go back to that one.
Speaker 1: You don't got that, all right? So you're doing a order track?
Speaker 2: Yeah, And so I was just you know, getting better at that.
Speaker 1: Kind that was a dumb machine. That was silly.
Speaker 2: It was silly. It was on the wood, was on the rollers, yep, and it was just this over and over and over again.
Speaker 1: But whatever.
Speaker 2: It was a gig. So I would fly to Minneapolis about six or seven times and I would be there on camera spokesperson dude. And then that was experienced and I had that show that helped me out. And then one of the gigs was just this young entrepreneur that said, hey, man, like you to be the main trainer in this really inexpensive little thing called Great Body Guaranteed. It was a two thousand dollars gig and that was that, and then we put it out into the world and then people noticed it started making money. So he said, let's let's do another one, which is kind of rare because most things that end up on an infomercial die over. So we did something called Power ninety and he gave me some time to develop that, and he said to me, he's like, when you're working with Petty or Idol or Bruce or any Lenox or whatever these types, can you recreate that in front of a TV without all the extra accoutrema, with just a dumb bells and some bands, And so, yeah, sure, it's a gig. I'll figure it out. And I did, and then that thing. I lived in the same apartment for twenty one and a half years and that Power ninety twenty one was it rent Controlled fourteen thirty eight fifteen Street, Santa Monica rent control department. Car got broken to like at least twice a month. It was, you know, it was the hood sort of where I.
Speaker 1: Was woll not the nicest of hoods, but yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah. And then Power ninety came out and I was getting royalties at that point, and I was able to move on and get a real home, and after that we thought, like, what's next, And then, you know, I thought it was a bad idea, making power ninety harder, and we said, let's call it P ninety X. Let's add pull ups, let's add martial arts. So he gave me a full eight months to develop that program, and when we first put it out there, it died because people went, holy crap, that's way too hard. I'm not going to do that. But then there was this these devotees that went, shit, that thing is real, and they started submitting that before and after pictures in their own little video, and we took that footage and their photos and we put it in the infomercial and it went from and it was on every channel twenty four hours.
Speaker 1: And now were you did you have a stake in this? Yeah?
Speaker 2: I had. Well, I got development money and I also got I got a piece of the pie every month. I get a check every month jackpot.
Speaker 1: Would you say P ninety X.
Speaker 2: Apparently it was the biggest fitness program in history something like that.
Speaker 1: Well, if it makes you feel any better. In my office back in the day, there was one copy of it that we all pirated it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, a lot of pirated it.
Speaker 1: Was.
Speaker 2: It was at one point, for whatever, some six month period of time, it was the single most pirated DVD in the world.
Speaker 1: That's something.
Speaker 2: And I would sign them and I go, I go, that ain't that's pirate. I could tell I used to go to DC and train all the senators and congressmen when I was there. I used to go to the Pentagon and train folks there and they go, hey, can you sign my thing? And I go, Congressman, this is this is pirated copy.
Speaker 1: During the penanty X thing. Let me just get a few of these right here, we had a crunchy Frog, super Skater spin squad. Looking back, do you wish you would have spent a little more time coming up with names for these exercises?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Okay, Well, most exercises are called like latisimus dorsi, you know, lap polls, and the most traditional names were dull and I would add names because I go, this name sucks. We got to get a better name here.
Speaker 1: And what about people that did these workouts in their apartments and.
Speaker 2: A lot of people who live below are very unhappy.
Speaker 1: I've heard those stories a long seems like a nightmare.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean plio metrics, for example, which is just jumping, So you're just for an hour. People below are taking the broomstick and going stop.
Speaker 1: Is every door frame a gym to you?
Speaker 2: But that an intended spit take right there? Almost not everyone, No, because some aren't strong enough. Right, that's what I wanted that one wouldn't hold up.
Speaker 1: Did you ever guys get like sued for me from the door.
Speaker 2: We had a few lawyers that are working really hard at times.
Speaker 1: Yeah. You can't just hang from any door.
Speaker 2: No. No, the device that we created was was pretty unique, pretty special, but it didn't work on every door.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 1: Here's my thing with polls too. If I can touch the floor, I will You know what.
Speaker 2: I'm saying, You got to bend your knees.
Speaker 1: No, that's what I'm saying. I'm not going to do that.
Speaker 2: Why not?
Speaker 1: Because it's just like when people go running and all of a sudden you're like, oh, I don't want to run anymore, so I just stopped running.
Speaker 2: Or start walking.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's like I need to be for me to do pull ups properly, I need to be hanging off of a building.
Speaker 2: So you're an all or nothing guy, all right, if.
Speaker 1: There's no consequences, it seems stupid not to just put your feet now.
Speaker 2: So you're getting need a taller doorway.
Speaker 1: Then, seriously, did you feel that P ninety X was kind of the precursor to CrossFit?
Speaker 2: Absolutely? Was. I didn't mean it to be, but that's what happened. A lot of people who went through P ninety X felt like, oh wow, look who I am Now I'd gotten really fit, And a lot of people did P ninety X two, three, four, five, fifteen times, and then a lot of those folks all made their way over to CrossFit. And the bummer about CrossFit for a lot of folks as they started getting hurt.
Speaker 1: Is CrossFit stupid?
Speaker 2: For some people? It saves their life. For some people, it's amazing and incredible in the community and all of that's great, But a lot of people end up getting hurt because they're just overdoing it a little bit.
Speaker 1: You know, do you flip a tire? Is that your thing?
Speaker 2: I've not my thing. I don't have a tire. I don't flip tires. But when I took a class here, I am flipping tires.
Speaker 1: So where did they Where do they get all these old tractor tires from?
Speaker 2: Huh?
Speaker 1: You ever got inside of a tire and rolled down a hill. You want to talk about a rush.
Speaker 2: Have you? You've done it on your show?
Speaker 1: Well no, I've been in tubes before and went rolling down a hill as a kid. That was so much fun. What about the shake weight? Did you ever try it? You never? You never touched?
Speaker 2: Seemed silly to me.
Speaker 1: Oh, I mean you could min that thing perfectly. I just did dumb, dumber exercise. Is shake wake or the thigh Master?
Speaker 2: I was in the thire master commercial. That was one of my first original ones, the original one.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, yeah, alright, fuck Mary? Kill Susanne Summers body by Jake Billy Blanks?
Speaker 2: Oh god, I know.
Speaker 1: Well it's not it's not an easy.
Speaker 2: Which one? When I would have sex with you?
Speaker 1: Well you can. You can have sex with your wife Mary. You could marry her. You don't pick her to marry I'm already married. I would. This isn't this is hypothetical? Is real? All right? So you're gonna fuck Susanne Summers? Okay? Then which one?
Speaker 2: Are you?
Speaker 1: Married? And body by Jake or Billy Blanks?
Speaker 2: I'd have to I'd marry Jake and I'd kill Billy.
Speaker 1: Oh man, rip Billy where do you feel, How do you feel about steroids?
Speaker 2: It's just trouble. The future is going to be a problem if you're going to be doing that.
Speaker 1: In Venice Beach in the eighties, when you saw Muscle Beach, like you saw everything.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was all going down and still there's still being abused today. Sure it's all about ego and looks. And you know when you exercise it's Snorpineffron dope means serotonin, something called brain derived neurotropic factor BDNF, which gets released out of the temporal lobe of your brain. And when I read this book sparked by doctor John Rady years ago, I was like, oh shit, this is why I should be working out now, not because of all the not because I'm chasing girls or trying to have big arms or any of that silliness.
Speaker 1: The chasing girls part that see, that's where I always, I always.
Speaker 2: But they didn't care about that. They cared about No. No, you were funny, you were smart. That's why you know exactly, that's where I wanted to be with you.
Speaker 1: The reason I never worked out was because the women that I was attracted to I could get if I couldn't get them. If they were like, no, you're not strong enough to date me, I would have gotten stronger. Oh wow, do you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: But then again, I'm thinking back in the day, it was easy for you. You're a handsome guy. You're fine.
Speaker 1: Ugly. I'm not ugly, but I'm not I But you know.
Speaker 2: Women just they want a personality. They want somebody who's got a reason for being on this earth. There, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: You know what it is. I'll tell you.
Speaker 2: Physically, it's a little different.
Speaker 1: I'm tall.
Speaker 2: Yeah, tall is good.
Speaker 1: Tall tall offsets muscles on some level.
Speaker 2: I'm only medium height.
Speaker 1: Well, we call that short in the tall world.
Speaker 2: That's why I have muscles, because I'm only five to ten five nine. I'm five ten all right and a half. But I've lost a half an inch?
Speaker 1: Oh in that weird? How about?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: I can't wait. I am not I don't think I'm starting to shrink yet, but I look forward to it. What's your best current health and fitness advice?
Speaker 2: Consistency is really I mean, there's a lot of them, but consistency is everything.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 2: You know, the more you do, the better you get right. The less you do the more complicated it is is the more frustrated you'll be. So if you're gonna, you know, if you really want to be fit and healthy, you got to it's got to be constant.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: People say, hey, man, how often I say all the time, all the time, like breathing and eating and paying your bills and going to work all the time, because everybody else is just surviving doing the basics. But anybody else's training on a regular basis, they get to have a much more interesting life. Like my wife and I went to Italy and we got on a bike tour and for four and a half hours and we did the same thing. And so she's into it too, not as much as me.
Speaker 1: Now I would have loved it. If you're like, no, no, she's morbidly obese. She just happy as can be, just happy as can be. Yeah, she's huge, No, but she's into fitness to that, not as much as me. Well, if I don't work out, though, is there any reason to start? If you're saying like, oh, it has to be constant, because constant seems so overwhelming to me that I'm.
Speaker 2: Block five to six days a week something.
Speaker 1: What do you think about taking a walk with your dog.
Speaker 2: That's great. Yeah it's not good enough. Yeah, yeah, yeah, sure it is.
Speaker 1: I always uh give every guest on the show a gift.
Speaker 2: I would love that, right, So this is oh.
Speaker 1: Shit, this is a brand. It's never been used. In Venice Beach, they play this this paddle tennis.
Speaker 2: Game that's not a pickleball.
Speaker 1: No, it's not pickaball. I play pickleball. And so this person goes, oh, this isn't pickaball, it's a different I go, I don't fucking want a different sport.
Speaker 2: I got a sport already, right.
Speaker 1: So he's like, no, no, it's a good pat So it's over one hundred dollars. I think, here, this is your paddle, and I'm like, loud light, like pickle No, I don't think you play with like a dead tennis ball or something like that. They only play it in Venice Beach.
Speaker 2: They got Venice Beach managed to have their special paddles made for just them.
Speaker 1: But you know it's right, you know what I'm talking about those courts that are right next to that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I always thought that was was pickleball.
Speaker 1: Not pickleball. It's this put on before, But that's your paddle now. But he's going to be mad at me when he listens to this episode and he's like, yeah, my my wife's cousin. He's a he's a good guy, but you don't. Don't try to introduce me to something new.
Speaker 2: I see that.
Speaker 1: Will you give that away?
Speaker 2: Probably if I if you signed it though, it would have.
Speaker 1: Just signed it. Will Yeah, sure, where's it gonna show up? It's it's a black paddle because it because I was like Venice Beach.
Speaker 2: I can show up down to Venice Beach with that paddle and look like he.
Speaker 1: Will be so confused to make Is this guy gonna go work out? Or is he gonna go play? They won't so many options for me there. How's that gym on the beach? Is it just complete garbage?
Speaker 2: It's the right thing for the right people who do it, but I just it's not you know, lifting heavy weights, rusty old sand filled weights, and those guys, A lot of those guys are using the roids and.
Speaker 1: Then then homeless ship.
Speaker 2: It's a it's a funky down there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what did you think about Venice during the pandemic? That was sad, wasn't it.
Speaker 2: I don't even know what happened. What happened?
Speaker 1: I mean, it was just it's just a shell of itself, especially what you saw.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean I have been down there, and I bet you twenty years. Oh I haven't been down there in twenty years. When I first moved here, I was in Santa Monica and in Venice all the time. I was at the beach all the time for twenty one years. Such a novelty. Having grown up on the East.
Speaker 1: Coast, I always think it's weird when people moved to California, but don't move all the way, you know what I'm saying, Like, Oh, we're going to live in what's the hipster area? Silver Lake? Like, like what you're moving out west? Go all the way, get to the water. I'm a beach person. Oh so well, I've served my whole life. It's all I can explains that. Yeah, yeah, yeah, don't touch the board.
Speaker 2: Where's your favorite favorite surf spot?
Speaker 1: I won't tell you you go to.
Speaker 2: Do you go to like Honhay Bay and do it there?
Speaker 1: Or No. I don't like to travel for surfing. I like to be in my house. Yeah, I just that's.
Speaker 2: What I say. You're a Malibu guy, Yeah.
Speaker 1: I don't like traveling. Yeah, it's like too much.
Speaker 2: Have you have you ever had Laired Hamilton on your Yeah?
Speaker 1: I surfle the Laird every day. Oh no, I've never had them on my show, though.
Speaker 2: I don't know them well, I know I know Gabby a little bit better than than Anyway.
Speaker 1: What did you do? You worked out with them? Yeah?
Speaker 2: They have an Olympic sized pool and they do a lot of underwater with dumbbells and breathing and it's intense.
Speaker 1: It's a little bit scary. Is it just underwater because you're not tall?
Speaker 2: Damn? Well, there's a there's a low end and and a deep end. You would be You wouldn't be tall enough in the deep end either.
Speaker 1: Is every is every side of deep end.
Speaker 2: I'm five, I'm not five to one.
Speaker 1: God, you're I think technically the average height of men in this five five eight. You're right?
Speaker 2: Don't you think a guy five to ten doesn't know that?
Speaker 1: Yeah? If we don't need to look it up, we know it's five eight, that's right. Have you seen that commercial about Ben Carrotts? Yes?
Speaker 2: I have, Yes, I what do they call that? They call that?
Speaker 1: I don't know why in your wheelhouse, but carrots.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because I was that in my wheelhouse.
Speaker 1: I don't know anybody that because you had an you had an infomercial about your body, I assume carrots.
Speaker 2: I have a friend who has the bent carrot. I mean the fact that just came up in conversation once and says my wife likes it. Oh, his wife likes it.
Speaker 1: It must be hooked up.
Speaker 2: That would make it better.
Speaker 1: I guess right. A hard left is a tough self.
Speaker 2: I just really get it into the direction so much so I don't know.
Speaker 1: Wait, you want to talk about your disease. Oh gosh, yeah, Ramsey Hunt type two severe. What was it?
Speaker 2: Ramsey Hunt syndrome. It affects your vision, your smell, your taste, and your balance. It's like vertigo, because vertigo is this, this is this inside your brain all the time. So if I tried to look right, I'd have to go that way and then I then I'd have to go super slow because if I went like this, it would just the shakiness and the nausea would just kick in and then bam.
Speaker 1: You know, how did you get it? How do you get yes?
Speaker 2: This period? If you have a ch chicken pox virus in your body and you get its shingles. It shingles in your ear, so you can get.
Speaker 1: She complains about it brutal.
Speaker 2: So it's burning. It's burning all the time, like lighters on your skin. The whole time I had this, whole ear was just open pussy, awful sores and affected the fifth, sixth, and seventh cranial nerves that affect your sight and your smell and your taste, in your balance. So it was going into my brain. And so nerves are weird. They'll take their good time to heal or not.
Speaker 1: A lot of people.
Speaker 2: I had Bell's palsy for a while, which is a great look for a non camera guy. And uh, and mine went away, but a lot of peoples don't. Justin Bieber's is still around a little bit if you look at them.
Speaker 1: Okay, but so he definitely had it.
Speaker 2: He definitely had it. And also Feinstein, Senator Feinstein, she.
Speaker 1: Did pean oney X.
Speaker 2: She did not No, but the Obamas did.
Speaker 1: The Obamas did Bombas did worse they did.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, Michelle looks like a definite after photo.
Speaker 1: How old right now? Are you going to live the number?
Speaker 2: I use? You're probably gonna give me some shit for but I think maybe one hundred and nine. Huh, But if I if, I, I mean, look, I feel better at sixty five than I did it fifty five or forty five or thirty five, because I keep making little adjustments with my diet and my mindfulness and my breathing techniques and my hydration and my supplementation, and my electrolytes and my phone rolling am I and all my you know, cold plunges. I'm always you know, I'm always.
Speaker 1: You're doing all that stuff.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I'm open to trying things that make me feel better and function better.
Speaker 1: If I was going to guess how long you were going to live, use it one hundred and nine.
Speaker 2: I'm probably late eighties or early nine.
Speaker 1: My guess is sixty six. Wow, No, I got things to do. Yeah. Wait a second, that's a great question. Hold on you. Just if if you knew you were only going to live one more year, would you keep doing all this stuff?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 2: If I had one more year, I would start planning the worldwide tour. I'd go ski in the in the Alps, I'd go ski in South America. I would go to you know, I would spend a lot of time in Jackson.
Speaker 1: Hole, I got, I got. I'm saying the workout stuff, the cold plunges. Would you like stop doing a cold plumb?
Speaker 2: Well, if it helped me continue to do push the envelope with everything else, I probably would do some version of it.
Speaker 1: Okay, Yeah, No, I just didn't know if it was like no, it's just such a party of your life and that you enjoyed it so much, as like, no, it's not an end to a means.
Speaker 4: I mean, with a year left, all right, fucking five years, five years that I'd keep doing what I'm doing, and I'd keep experimenting with new ideas that maybe it might help me too.
Speaker 1: Are you trying to cheat death?
Speaker 2: No, Death's coming, and I'm alright with that.
Speaker 1: And don't you think we'll be able to just download our brains onto something then put it into a new body.
Speaker 2: It'd be kind of cool if I could live long enough so that whatever they come up with I can.
Speaker 1: I'm all for that. Well, listen, this is right?
Speaker 2: Was I any good?
Speaker 1: You're wonderful?
Speaker 2: Oh, thank you.
Speaker 1: I appreciate your time and your outlook, and I wish you the best. Appreciate likewise, manks man Pasha, all right, Carl, We did it. My wonderful dog is here. Had a big scare last week. Somehow he got into my neighbor's second story balcony. Oh yeah, I only looked an hour and a half for you trying to see your Yeah, shame. Tony was great. Thanks for being on the show and for changing my body physically. We did a before uh shot before the interview of my body, and then we did one after and you can see that Tony completely transformed me. Got some plugs the charitable clothing line Boys Wear Pink. Can't wait for somebody to buy me out on that. That's kind of the goal I'm performing. I mean in Los Angeles, May fourth, at the Dolby Theater. It's part of the Netflix is a Joe Comedy Festival. Get tickets soon. They're going fast. I mean, not like one of those people's like oh I was on sale for eight minutes and sold out. No, no, I don't sell out until day of hopefully. And finally, as a reminder, people have heard me explain this before, but if this is the first time listening, I want you to understand. When my son was three years old, I recorded him every night telling me a bedtime story because I thought the way he mispronounced words and the way he talked was so sweet and cute, and I knew that one day that would go away. He's a few years older now, so these are older stories from my son at night. Then I animated him and I didn't do it. Eddie did it. But the animation is not very good. Whatever, see you guys next week.
Speaker 3: Well, let me get carry the wily stories.
Speaker 1: Sure, tell me a really short story.
Speaker 3: Oh no, I'm trying. Oh, I don't do a lot. But the rabbit didn't know how to jumpled it a lot, so he decided to make a way jump. He wid it. He winded himself on a bike.
Speaker 1: The end. How am I supposed to go to bed after hearing that story?
Speaker 3: Sit down a warm story and then and then it might be wait up, time down.
Speaker 1: Okay, thanks,