Speaker 1: The mother of all data breaches, What you need to know about how to protect your personal information, the new iPhone security feature you should enable pretty much right now, and why you might be able to file your taxes for free for real this time. Plus your tech questions answered. What's going on in Rich Dumiro And This is Rich on Tech broadcasting live from Los Angeles, coast to coast. This is the show where I talk about the tech stuff I think you should know about. It's also the place where I answer your questions about technology. I believe the tech should be interesting, useful, and fun. Let's open up the phone lines at triple eight Rich one oh one. That's eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. Give me a call if you have a question about technology. Email is also an option. Just go to rich on Tech dot tv hit the link that says contact. We got some great guests on the show this week. Juan Carlos Bagnell, some gadget guy on YouTube, will join me to review the new one plus twelve smartphone getting a lot of good reviews, and I think his will be positive as well.
Speaker 2: We'll hear from him.
Speaker 1: Mitch Goldstone of scanmyphotos dot com is gonna explain how small businesses can secure a portion of a five point five billion dollar payment card settlement he helped secure and I got the letter right to my house and it says it's time to file your claim. So I will explain why why he did that and how you can get some money out of that. And John Faulkner of Clean Fleet Report will join to review the Kia EV nine. This is their new three row suv. Well it is bring your wife to work day. Bobo brought Britney in, his beautiful newlywed wife, so thanks for joining us here in the studio. She might she may pick some mus I picked the first song, so well, maybe let her pick something. Uh okay, So this is really wild. I switched to the Samsung Galaxy S twenty four Ultra this week to really put it through its paces. I don't do this very often. The last time I did it was with the Pixel fold where I actually switch my personal SIM card and phone number into the phone. And it's kind of a big deal because it changes everything, right, but I really wanted to see kind of like it's been a while since I was in an Android and I kind of wanted to see like day to day what it was like, and it's been amazing. This phone is really really impressive. When I say this is the most powerful phone I've ever tested, it truly is. I mean, the screen is just impeccable. The software I've even gotten used to Samsung's little special flavor of one. UI have gotten used to that it is fast. The antenna places where my iPhone did not have a signal or work very properly. This thing is just blazing fast. The powerful nature of this thing is just really incredible.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 1: I will say the one little issue I have with it is I think the camera is good, but I think it will be great when Samsung does a couple software updates. And overall, very very happy with this phone. I think it is their absolute best device they've put out ever. The Circle to Search feature is just so much fun. The little AI features not using them as much, but the Circle to search is like it's just such an incredible feature where you can scribble anything you want on your screen, circle highlight whatever, and it will reverse search that on Google. So if you're on like Instagram, whatever, you want to see the shirt that someone's wearing, like the brand, whatever, just circle it and you can buy it.
Speaker 2: It's pretty cool.
Speaker 1: The one thing I will say I've noticed about is the the ecosystem that Apple has built. It is really tough to get out of that. And I noticed it with my chargers. They're all mag safe. My Apple Watch, I can't wear that because of this thing. And so it just goes to show the power of what Apple has built. It is very tough for people to get out of it. And not to mention the whole green bubble thing. Let me read you a couple of actual texts I got from people in the past couple of days. Friend number one we texted and he wrote Android question mark. I figured i'd spare you the complaining about the green bubble and I said, yeah, I know, I'm testing the new Samsung phone. Friend number two, Okay, thanks green bubbles. And then he put a little emoji that I don't know what it means, but it looked like it was like two eyes looking off to the side. Acquaintance this oside, I bobo said, Okay, side eye, that's what it is. Acquaintance. I don't even really know this person. And we texted a couple of times and she said, also, I noticed your green bubble. I take it you're using the new phone. Random person. Uh call screener Kim. This just happened a couple of minutes ago. I didn't say anything, didn't prep this at all. I just texted her from the green bubble. She goes, also, you're turning my text green today. Ew must be tech with that Samsung phone. And she made me switch to WhatsApp. So, Kim, I love you, but oh my gosh, this is what you have to deal with. And so this is why I love doing this actually, because I get to see what it's like to have to, you know, put up with this stuff.
Speaker 2: Anyway, it's all in good fun.
Speaker 1: My friends know that's from time to time they will see me text with a green bubble. It is all good. But Apple, you really really created a division amongst folks with this thing. Well. As the tech person, you know, I am tech support for friends and family. I have people that run into me on the street they say hi, and the second question is like, hey, can I ask you a question real quick? It's like it's like the doctor at the party, right like can I show you this rash? Like no, I'm trying to enjoy my night. But that's what people do. They proceed to pull out their phone and ask me to, you know, figure out something. Well for family, of course, I've got a soft spot in my heart. And so my mom, Well, let me tell you.
Speaker 2: First.
Speaker 1: My son comes home this morning and goes, Dad, I need a new iPad. This one's all broken. I'm like, what what do you mean? You need a new ipe? Yeah, this doesn't work. Just Coulick, go get a new one. Like, no, no, no, We're gonna figure out what's going.
Speaker 2: On with the iPad. So sure enough, I take a look.
Speaker 1: Everything's like all gobbledygook and this and that, and I said, look, I looked at his storage. I said, dude, you're at one hundred percent storage. Your iPad can't physically do anything else because it's so filled up. And so it took me a little bit. I figured out that cap cut was using up all of his storage, cleared it out, giving back his iPad. He's like, oh it works now. I'm like, yeah, you just were ready to throw this thing out. Then my mom I call my mom picking up the kids on the way to school. Call my mom just casually. She's like, oh, good thing you called. I'm like, oh, why, Well, my phone. My TV's not working. What do you mean your TV's not working? I would just stop working. Well, what do you mean, Well it comes on? But nothing comes on? I said, well is your fire stick? You know, just got the Amazon fire stick that I set up on a Roku TV, and you know, sure enough, we go through this whole troubleshooting stuff. And I don't know if you know, but like troubleshooting from three thousand miles away with someone who is, you know, not necessarily tech savvy is not the easiest thing. So she's pulling out the HDMI, she's pulling out the power cord, and I have to make sure she gets all this stuff back in. I can't figure it out. So what I do. I go to my brother justin you're on the line. This is my actual brother who I had to bring in to actually help me with my mom's set up. Did you help her get this set up?
Speaker 4: Hey Rich greeting from Jersey.
Speaker 1: Yes, greetings from New Jersey. So I had to turn to you. So I was like the I guess I was like, what do you do at the hospital when they kind of like just they figure out like what's wrong with you? They assess you the trioge I was the triage, But you actually went to Mom's place and figured out what was wrong with the firestick.
Speaker 4: To be honest with you, I still don't know. I tried everything. I swapped out the USB cable, I.
Speaker 5: Tried the plug and the wall I moved that.
Speaker 4: I tried changing the port on the HDMI port on the TV.
Speaker 6: Nothing would work.
Speaker 4: I think the actual stick is just dead or it's not accepting power for some reason.
Speaker 1: Now you are a tech savvy person. Would a mere mortal be able to figure out what you tried to do with this fire stick?
Speaker 4: I probably not. I mean she she couldn't, so I don't know.
Speaker 1: I was impressed though she was able to pull the power chords out yesterday, pull the uh she was likery. I was trying to describe like the micro USB power chord versus like HDMI, and I was like, I don't know, like the small one that plugs into the side of the fire TV versus the big one that plugs into the back of the TV.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's really complicated. What did you end up doing?
Speaker 4: So I gave up on the fire sticks all together at some point, and like, this thing's not working, so she had, Like you said, she has a Roku TV. I'm like, let me just download the apps that she uses onto the TV directly. Let me tell you this was a process what so it wasn't logged into what? It wasn't logged into any Wi Fi? So I connected it to the Wi Fi. Then the first thing I asked, before you can do anything, you have to update the TV. I'm like, all right, fine, it hasn't been connected to Wi Fi and whoever knows how long, so let me let me do the update. Ten minutes later, comes back and the Wi Fi is disconnected again. It must I think it factory reset the TV. So I get it back on my Wi Fi. And you know how much of a pain it is to enter in all the little password symbols through the control, the remote control.
Speaker 7: So I do that.
Speaker 4: Then I had to before I could do anything. Now, I had to create a Roku account account.
Speaker 1: And you sent me a screenshot of this. And what's the first thing I said? Because you handed over all of her personal information right.
Speaker 4: Asked for was like her social her birth data, birth her ads, like her full address, Like.
Speaker 1: No, you're just kidding about the social but but look, Roku is a data play. They're getting data right off the top because they do make money on ads, and so you put all that in in there and then you download it all the apps, and I imagine you crowdsource the passwords for the apps from various family members.
Speaker 6: I contacted everybody I know, my sisters, my friends, my ex boyfriends of sisters, all kinds of things, and I finally got log into several different apps.
Speaker 2: So now she's up and running.
Speaker 1: And now she's using the remote that came with the TV, So she's going from fire TV to Roco.
Speaker 4: Right, But it doesn't even end there. The remote is I don't know what happened to it, but the up button doesn't really work that well, so you got to click it like four times before it moves.
Speaker 1: Ooh, that's not fun. All right, Well, it sounds like we got to get our a new fire stick. So I bring you on and we got to go. But I bring you on to say, is this stuff easy? Like people call in this show every day. They're frustrated, they're confused, they're tired of all this stuff.
Speaker 2: Is technology easy?
Speaker 4: No, definitely not. They've made it more complicated than it needs to be in every possible way all right.
Speaker 1: Justin DeMuro, thanks so much for joining me on the show today. I appreciate you helping out and being my my tech support army over there on the East Coast.
Speaker 4: Thanks for having me on, all right.
Speaker 2: Appreciate it all right.
Speaker 1: Coming up on today's show, how Ai is ruining everything in our world from Taylor Swift to the election. But first it is your turn. Your call is coming up next to Triple eight rich one on one. That's eight eight eight seven four to two four to one zero one. Give me a call if you have a question about technology. My name is rich DeMuro and you are listening to rich on Tech. Welcome back to rich on Tech. Rich DeMuro here hanging out with you talking technology at Triple eight rich one O one. That's eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. The website is richon Tech dot tv. You can hit contact there to submit a message for me or a note for the show in the feedback segment. Let's see what else so on Instagram, it's at rich on Tech. Let's go to Jim in Claremont, California. Jim, you're on with Rich Hi.
Speaker 8: Rich.
Speaker 9: I heard that the new Android phone might have some type of translation feature where you could speak to other people that don't speak the same language.
Speaker 5: Is that true or not?
Speaker 1: Yeah? This is on the S twenty four series from Samsung. They've got a couple of translation features and they're actually really cool. So one of them will help you translate phone calls. So you can make a phone call to someone, and when you make a call to someone, there's a little pop up that says call assist, and you can tap that and it will basically translate the call in real time, so you can speak your language, it will detect the other language that the person's speaking. It will listen to that and then translate it and play it back in the language that you can understand, and you can just have a back and forth conversation like that. Is it perfect, No, but it's pretty good. I mean, if you can imagine that, you can just call someone in Japan. They can answer the phone a restaurant and speak in Japanese and you can understand what they're saying, and they can understand what you're saying, all because of this middleman translation. That's pretty incredible. So that's one way you can do it. The other translation feature they have built in is in the text messaging app, and so you can type a message and literally translate it. It'll be translated in real time, so when that message arrives, no matter what it says and what language, it will figure that out and translate it into the language that you understand. And then the third way that it can translate things is with a translator app. And so when you are sitting there talking to someone, it's a two way app, so on your side of the screen it has your language and on their side of the screen it has their language, and then it translates back and forth. And the neat thing they did here is that you can hold the phone between you and one half of the screen is sort of rotated so that they can read the bottom half of the top half and you could read the other side, so you don't have to like flip the phone around.
Speaker 2: And that was kind of the magic of that.
Speaker 1: Because Google translates been around for a while, Apple has their own translate app as well, but these are all built into the Samsung Galaxy S twenty four series. They are coming to the S twenty three series in the next couple of months, they said, in the first six months of the year, so if you have an S twenty three, you can do that and they're really fun. I mean, and it's got more than just that you can translate text on screen. I mean, there's really a lot Like our phone is getting to the point where you can pretty much, you know, deal with any language you want on this phone and it works. Jim, thanks for the call today, and Clairemont appreciate that beautiful day here in southern California. So a lot of people outside, I guess enjoying the warm weather for the first time before it rains again. All right, let me get through two quick AI stories, because AI is incredible, but it's also messing things up. So AI, these fake AI Taylor Swift images are spreading across the internet. These are explicit images that were generated using AI of Tailor Swift, and as you can imagine, not very nice. People are not happy about this. We haven't heard officially from Taylor about this, but they were spreading on x formerly Twitter for a while, read it and Facebook, and it took a while for these things to get taken down. A lot of people saw these images when they were searching for Taylor Swift related things, and as you can imagine, not a good thing. Apparently they stem from this toxic telegram group dedicated to sharing abusive images of women. So you might be saying, well, how did they generate these things, because these AI systems don't they block this stuff? Well, yeah they do, but people spend their entire day trying to figure out how to get around these things. So they didn't necessarily say make me an image of Taylor Swift. They used words that might generate images similar to Taylor Swift. And then somehow I haven't seen these, so I don't know what they look like or what they were doing, but apparently they were pretty bad. So this is not the first time we're going to see this. This is not the last time we're going to see this. This is going to be this idea of a deep fake. We are just going to see more and more of this and it's going to get more and more real. And so especially with celebrities people in the public light, you are not going to be able to believe what you see when you see those pictures. Then when it comes to the election, we know that this is going to be the election of AI and it is going to have a huge impact in this election. With misinformation and all kinds of stuff, whether it's pictures, whether it's videos, whether it's audio. So we have the first AI generated audio robo call. This happened in New Hampshire. It was purportedly President Biden urging Democrats not to vote in the primary. And this call apparently was sent to a lot of people they got it. I listened to it. It sounded like Biden, and apparently they use this this eleven Labs audio feature that basically you just need a couple of minutes of people's voice to generate an AI voice, And I thought this sounded very convincing. And the problem is people are getting these calls. You don't know is it real? Is it fake? Grobal calls are a part of the election, So how do you know if this stuff is real? How do you know if it's fake? You just have to be on guard. Anything you see, anything you hear, especially when it comes to celebrities election stuff, you might say, wait a second, is that real? You just got to think about it, because this AI stuff is really getting realistic. Triple eight rich one oh one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. Coming up, We're going to talk about the new one plus twelve smartphone getting a lot of accolades. You're listening to rich on Tech. Welcome back to rich on Tech. Rich to me Zo here hanging out with you talking technology at Triple eight Rich one oh one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. It is quite the year for smartphones. We just talked about the new Samsung Galaxy S twenty four series. Uh, there's a new mint Pixel phone which I'll talk about a little bit. But we also have a new one plus phone, the one plus twelve, and this is a powerhouse of a phone as well, very different than the way Samsung approaches things. But joining me to talk about this phone is onan Carlos Bagnell, some gadget guy on YouTube. I highly recommend that you follow him there. He does great in depth reviews of smartphones and also other things.
Speaker 2: So one, thanks so much for joining me.
Speaker 10: Yeah, I'm really stoked.
Speaker 11: We need to make this a tradition because we got to chat about the one plus eleven last year.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh was that last year that we did. I did not even realize that when I called you up. I just watched your review and I was like, all right, I gotta talk this guy about this because you know, let me.
Speaker 11: You're absolutely right. We've got a lot of fun stuff going on right now.
Speaker 1: So this phone, you know, it's got the specks that people love. It's got very high end specs up to sixteen gigabytes a RAM. It's got a nice display, it's got fast charging wired and wireless. It's got the you know, four cameras that you want, Dolby at most. It's got two colors, Silky Black and Flowy Emerald, and the price is so glad.
Speaker 11: Yeah, I got I got the Flowy Emerald, and it's a real pretty phone.
Speaker 10: So yeah, this is definitely a looker.
Speaker 1: Okay, so give me your impressions of this phone. So it's under a thousand bucks so but well pretty.
Speaker 10: Well under a thousand bucks too.
Speaker 11: So right now, I mean, just like we know with Samsung and these other companies, they love to come out with like a pre order deal or some kind of launch sale. And right now, the top of the line, the sixteen gigs of RAM with five hundred and twelve gigs of storage is at the base model price, so seven ninety nine in this early launch window. So this is a really clear shot against phones like the S twenty four plus and the iPhone fifteen plus, but with some.
Speaker 10: Of the hardware that kind of closes in a.
Speaker 11: Little bit more on the more premium pro and ultraphones, it's kind of split in the difference in a really exciting way.
Speaker 1: By the way, sixteen gigabytes of RAM, I mean, some people don't have that on our laptop, and that's on a phone.
Speaker 11: Well, and I've been doing some technical deep dives, so I won't border your audience with the hard core nerd stuff. But the more RAM we put in today, that's a company's estimation on how valuable AI might be in the future. The more AI you do on device, you need a lot more RAM to power that AI. So one plus the one plus version in China can come with twenty.
Speaker 10: Four gigs overth Oh wow, we know, yeah, we know.
Speaker 11: They're not tied into Google services and cloud services. They're going to be doing more on device, especially because a lot of areas don't have robust five G networks. So when we see these devices coming here having more RAM on the device, that's not going to do anything for your day to day phone use. But if you think AI might be a companion service for you in the future.
Speaker 10: This is sort of the promise of what's to come.
Speaker 1: So in general, the hardware, display, the haptics, speakers STUF good on this thing.
Speaker 10: Chier very very good.
Speaker 11: So one plus is moving up the food chain. The one plus eleven was a nice sort of balance of budget and compromises. There really are no compromises here. These are extremely competitive cameras. I think they're better cameras than what are on the iPhone fifteen non pro and the Galaxy S twenty four non Ultra. But the screen gets brighter than any other phone that's been released in North America. The battery is larger, but even though the battery is larger than even the most expensive Samsung, it charges substantially faster. Their charge standard on this phone can go from completely empty to completely full in roughly thirty three minutes.
Speaker 1: Wow, So that's eighty that's the eighty watt fast charging.
Speaker 10: That's the eighty watt fast charging.
Speaker 11: And then you you also mentioned they do have a it's a unique standard for them, but it is a wireless fast charging that can charge faster wirelessly than a Samsung or an Apple can charge plugged in with a cable. So they're not going light this This phone is coming out swinging and it's an aggressive play at this kind of performance per dollar.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's kind of what I always think of when it comes to one plus. It's like if you want to spend your money and get like a lot for your money, like you're getting you know, you might not be getting the best camera on the pro phones that we see out there, but you're getting a really good camera. And I feel like really good camera. The cameras have gotten better too. But tell me a little bit about one plus, like in general, like if you know, cause dec you don't. I don't think you see ads on TV for one plus like you put Samsung, Apple and Pixel.
Speaker 11: So one plus is a subsidiary of a larger brand internationally named Opo, and this is their arm that they sell in certain regions. And they made a lot of waves early on in the company's history, before they were directly under Opo, they were this kind of flagship flagship killer rebel brand, so really really low cost devices that were like sixty percent of your premium tier phone, but you spent a lot less.
Speaker 10: Over time, they've kind of matured into.
Speaker 11: More of just a direct premium handset maker, and for a while they were showing up in T Mobile stores. They had a carrier partnership with T Mobile that ended in between the ten and the eleven, where I think the brand, especially OPO, was looking at their footprint internationally where they were really selling phones, and it didn't make a lot of sense to build phones to carrier specs and then just have them sit on store shelves like this is one of those brands you would see in the dusty back corner of a carrier store. They weren't paying to really put them up right next to Samsung's and Apples.
Speaker 10: They've they've kind of scaled back on.
Speaker 11: That operation, but this is still uh they've still got relationships in North America distribution. These are going to be showing up in Best buys if you want to play with them, Yeah, that's gonna be really exciting. Is I'm not every best buy unfortunately, but you will see some of these start to show up where you can actually handle them and look at them and play with them before you have to commit money into ordering one. But this is a new strategy. OPO is saying, we're going to go very very marginly. We're going to sell the most aggressive technologies that we can get our hands on. We're gonna cut prices as much as we can, and in a way, I bet you they are probably balancing out some of those costs against their previous carrier relationships. So this is a very exciting strategy for a brand that has consistently delivered very good value for the money and now trying to push that strategy even a little bit further.
Speaker 1: All Right, So the camera, that's the thing that everyone wants to know about. How are the cameras on this.
Speaker 10: These are so good?
Speaker 11: One plus has stepped up significant. This is the fourth generation. They're saying Hasselblad. They have a partnership with the photography company Hasselblad, the company that sent cameras to the Moon. So every single time we see one of these pairings, the phone camera just gets better, like a Zeiss even back in the day Schneider.
Speaker 10: So these sensors are some.
Speaker 11: Of the most bleeding edge sensors for the types of photography that we see in a phone. This is the newest stacked sensor from Sony that's coming in for the main camera sensor. There's a new omni vision, so it's not the furthest reach, but the telephoto is a very big sensor that is excellent. It's soaking up light, so an older Galaxy could reach farther across the soccer field when your kids are playing in sunshine. But this is the kind of sensor that is really good at taking like a fun candid indoors right. The image doesn't fall apart. You can still catch a moment of people laughing or hugging. You're not shoving your phone right into their face to try and get like this moment and distract from what's going on. It's a really good candid lifestyle kind of photography solution. And the Ultra Wide is similarly a very high resolution, high performance sensor. So I would still say like an iPhone Pro or a Galaxy Ultra is likely going to outperform this phone, but at hundreds of dollars more. And when you put this up against the phones that cost the same from Apple and Samsung, these cameras are noticeable improvements in terms of hardware the physics of how we capture and play with light. One plus has the win in the sub one thousand dollars but still premium category of phones.
Speaker 1: This year, anything that you don't like about this device, any red flags, anything people should be aware of.
Speaker 11: I think that kind of goes back a little bit more to the company's relationship in North America with consumers and some of their branding strategy, Like the one Plus ten had a PRO version and a T version. The one Plus eleven just came out on its own. The one plus twelve is coming out with a twelve and a twelve R. If you really try to follow the roadmap of what one plus devices have been, it's really confusing to know which phone am I getting. Am I getting the best phone that they offer? Am I getting the nicer phone? Am I getting the more budget friendly phone. You can look at the price tags, obviously, but I feel like that is part of the education. That's part of the on ramping to someone who's considering one of these is you do kind of need to do your own research. It's not as established as iPhone, iPhone fifteen, iPhone fifteen Pro, Galaxy S Series twenty four to twenty four plus Ultra. We kind of understand this a little bit better. But when I go dollar for dollar, there really isn't anything I find on an iPhone fifteen plus or an S twenty four plus that I would recommend. There's better screen tech, better charging tech, longer battery life, bigger battery, better camera sensors. One plus has a very very clear shot at I think what is the weakest segment of Apple and Samsung currently, Apple and Samsung doing way better Above one thousand dollars. One plus is seeing a clear opportunity to kind of hit Apple and Samsung where they're most vulnerable.
Speaker 1: All right, we're gonna leave it there. One plus twelve coming in at seven hundred ninety nine dollars available on February six. You can do a pre order now, and they've got some deals. You can check them out at a best Buy as well. One Carlos Bagnew, thanks so much for joining me today.
Speaker 11: Yeah, pleasure, and I'll make sure to leave a spot on my calendar for the one plus thirteen planning ahead.
Speaker 2: I like it.
Speaker 1: Go follow on some gadget guy on YouTube, some gadget guy on YouTube. All right, if we're on a link to that phone, Rich on tech dot TV, coming up, more of your calls, Triple eight Rich one on one plus. I'm gonna tell you about the mother of all data breaches.
Speaker 2: What you need to know.
Speaker 1: Welcome back to rich on Tech. Rich Demiro here hanging out with you, talking technology at Triple eight Rich one on one and that's eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. Playing some Michael Jackson songs this weekend because last weekend, after the show, I went and saw the MJ play. It was great, but it was raining, And I'll tell you this is how people get scammed. Had nothing to do with the play. We had a great time at the play, but it can happen to anyone. And I the main thing when you're getting scammed is that you're under some sort of pressure, whether it's time, whether it's money, whether it is someone else telling you to do something. And so that sort of happened to us, and we did end up getting scammed in a huge way. But I'll explain basically, after the play, trying to get a ride home, right called the Uber Uber circling around. It's pouring in Los Angeles. Now La shuts down when it rains because people here do not know how to deal with the rain. We don't have umbrellas, we don't have boots, we have nothing. We were wearing shorts and flip flops most of the time, and so when it rains it gets pretty wild anyway, So I was under pressure after this play ended. As you can imagine, there's thousands of people spilling out onto the streets of Hollywood Boulevard and I can't meet up with the car. And my wife is like, what's going on? What's happening? And I'm not blaming her, but it's like one of these things where you want to get home like you're done, you know, and so.
Speaker 2: The car is not. I'm just not linking up with the uber.
Speaker 1: So I see this taxi at the at the curb and I'm like, you know what, let's just get in the taxi. So we jump in the taxi. It's pouring rain, we're soaked, and we start on our way home. And about three minutes into the ride, my wife is like, where's the meter. I'm like, oh, no, there's no meter, there's no sign it was it was a taxi, but I think the person was off duty and just picking up rides, and so I was like, oh no, we're going to be taken here, Like I have no idea how much this ride's going to be whatever, you know, are they going to request cash, I don't know. So long story short, we got home safely, which was my main goal. The ride ended up being about three times the price of the Uber, but I was perfectly fine with that because we were home safe. But my lesson learned is that when you're under pressure, that's when you are susceptible to being scammed. When you're trying to do something fast, you're doing something hasty, stop and think. Because if I would have thought like why is there no light on this car? And when I get in, why is there no meter in this car? Those would have been two red flags that would have made me get out of that car.
Speaker 2: Knock, get in.
Speaker 1: Let's go to Lauren in San Diego. Lauren, you're on with Rich. Welcome to the show.
Speaker 12: How did you and you love your lovely wife? Like like the taxi ride I gave you last week?
Speaker 1: That was you great? Well, you are a great driver.
Speaker 12: Do you want to tax you?
Speaker 5: Just kidding you?
Speaker 12: One quick question, Rich, would you recommend key mobile five G home Internet to just the power of one of device That would be a thirty two inch Samsung Smart TV. I like to watch the two b TV movies and like YouTube movies, documentaries and I think also.
Speaker 7: A game show like Match.
Speaker 5: Game with jeene Ate Burn and Charles Nelson Riley.
Speaker 7: Would you recommend that?
Speaker 12: Should that work out?
Speaker 5: Per month?
Speaker 9: Just just well, what do you what do you have right now?
Speaker 7: Nothing?
Speaker 5: No internet whatsoever? Just a smartphone?
Speaker 1: Okay?
Speaker 2: And what brand is your phone?
Speaker 8: Like?
Speaker 1: What what carrier are you on?
Speaker 8: AT and T?
Speaker 12: And I have a Samstung smart.
Speaker 1: Okay, you're on AT and T. So do you know if T Mobile works at your home?
Speaker 12: No idea, I take it it does.
Speaker 2: Okay, Well, are you in like a main area?
Speaker 1: Yes, okay, all right, so in that case, I would recommend this. It's it's not as cheap as it was. They have raised the prices recently, but it's a great way to uh, you know, to get internet quickly at your house. There are two other services. You have T Mobile Home Internet and also Verizon has their own home Internet, and then AT and T has one which I'm trying to remember what's it called, like Airplay or something like that. I can't remember what the name of THEIRS is, but THEIRS is not available in many locations. But let me see AT and T five G Home Internet. I gotta find out what this name is. Internet Air there it is AT and T Internet Air. So I would go on the web and I would check all three of these. I'm sure you're getting targeted ads for this T Mobile one, which is just fine. But the main thing is if you don't have a good wireless signal at your home, it's not going to be that good. So the good news is none of these have contracts, so you can call up you can get this thing shipped to your house. It's basically plug and play. You plug it in your window, it pulls in that signal and then it broadcasts that signal out as a so it takes in a cellular signal and converts that into a Wi Fi signal that you would then connect this TV too. So that's what I would recommend. See which one I would start with AT and T just because your service is through AT and T and you know it works. So I would check to see if their Internet Air is available at your location. It is in very limited areas so it may not be, but I would check to see if that one's available first. Then I would move on to Verizon T Mobile to a price check, see which one is cheaper for what you get and the speed you get and I think as far as this powering what you want to do, which is just stream stuff on your TV, it will absolutely work one hundred percent. So if you're streaming stuff on your phone already, it's the same thing, it's the same signal. It'll just be on your big screen TV. So good question, Lauren, Thanks for calling in today from San Diego. Let's see we got an email question here. Let's see. Jay says, I would like to connect my mom's phone remotely to assist her with installing apps or guide her on how to use the phone. Is there a free app that we can use. What would be your suggestion? She has a Samsung Galaxy A fourteen. Thank you, Jy. I would recommend the free app called team Viewer. Team Viewer they make an Android app. They also make an app for basically every platform, whether it is Windows, whether it's Mac Os, whether it's Linux, Chrome, Raspberry Pie. You know what that is Android and I so you can download this for free. It's a paid service if you're a company, but for personal it is free. And so if you just type in team Viewer Android on Google, you can search it. You can install that on her phone. Then you can install it on your desktop, and what you do is you basically there is a special code that the app will generate on her phone. You ask her for that code and you can log in from your device and basically take over the screen. And that should work with no problems. That's the app that I use for my mom's computer and it works just fine. And of course you have to do it with their permission, and there's like a one time access or you can link them up permanently and have more access. Thanks for the email, and let me tell you about this. The mother of all data breaches. Massive data breach with twenty six billion records was discovered Onlines, probably the largest data leak in history. Not necessarily new, but it was compiled from thousands of previous breaches. So they took all this information that was flowing around. They put it into one megaaload usernames, passwords, emails, phone numbers from places like LinkedIn, Twitter, Tencent, MySpace.
Speaker 2: Uh, what do you need to know?
Speaker 1: You need to know that you should not be reusing your passwords and enable multi factor authentication. There is a website cybernews dot com which will allow you to put in your phone number or your email and it will tell you if it's part of this breach. I recommend you do that. If it is, change those passwords. This is rich on Tech. Welcome back to rich on Tech. Rich DeMuro here talking technology with you at triple eight Rich one oh one. That's eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. This is the show where I talk about the tech stuff I think you should know about. It's also the place where I answer your questions. Coming up this hour. Mitch Goldstone of scanmyphotos dot com.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 1: Not only does he run a small business, but he actually helps secure five point five billion dollars in a settlement about how payment cards are processed with small businesses. So you might have gotten an envelope in the mail if you run a small business that says you can claim your share of the five point five billion dollar settlement if you accepted Visa or MasterCard from January first, two thousand and four through January twenty fifth, twenty nineteen, and you might have thrown you might have be ready to throw it out and say, wait, this is probably junk mail.
Speaker 2: No it's not.
Speaker 1: He will explain what that's all about and how he won that much money from these credit card processing companies. I finished watching Killers of the Flower Moon. This is a epic three plus hour movie that's trying to get through all the Academy Award nominees, and this, I think takes the cake as the most paused movie I've ever watched in my life because it was three hours and thirty minutes or something like that, and with two kids and two jobs and a wife and some other things happening in the world, I can't sit in front of a TV for that amount of time without getting up and pausing, and so I think I paused this movie probably like thirty seven times, also over two days. But I did switch to a new app for my movie watching, and I think that you should check it out. It is called just Watch, and I was using one called Real Good r ee L g oo D, but I find that just Watch is actually kind of easier, and I'm really digging it. I haven't paid for the pro they give you everything for free, but there's one pro feature that's actually kind of nice, and it lets you sort your movie list like your little watch list, by time, like the run time, So if you only have, like you know, if you're Friday night, you don't feel like staying up very long. You want to see the shortest movie on your list, you can sort it by runtime, but they charge you two dollars and fifty cents a month for that, so I subscribe for a couple of months just to you know, why not right anyway, the app is called just Watch. And if you know me, if you listen to this show, you know I refuse to watch any movie that that are not streaming on one of my services because I pay for so many of them. So I've got all of the Academy Award movies on my little list here, and it tells me where they're playing and if they're playing for free. So I think next up is going to be The Holdovers because that's on Peacock, and so I can watch that for free since I pay for Peacock. Let's go to Let's go to Stanley in Bettsville, Ohio.
Speaker 2: Stanley are On with Rich.
Speaker 5: Hello rich On Tech. Hello, Hello from the Great Lakes region of America.
Speaker 1: How is it there? Is it cold?
Speaker 6: Well?
Speaker 5: It's forty okay, well not nice cold, but dreary, rainy and snow tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Okay, well.
Speaker 5: Wait, my friend, yeah, anyway, my question, Rich is I've had an INSPI on twenty four inch all in one unit from a major computer manufacturer in round Rock text. I know who, you know who I'm talking about.
Speaker 2: Sure we can, we can deduce.
Speaker 5: Yeah, And I enjoyed it tremendously. And again it's the all in one CPU and screen all in one package. Well, looking to upgrade to the twenty seven inch version after several years, and I opted for the package they offer to transfer data from the old twenty four inch PC to the new twenty seven inch PC. Do those things actually work well? And I'm thinking, if it's going to work anywhere, it will from the same manufacturer to the same manufacturer. What's your experience?
Speaker 2: So is it?
Speaker 1: Are you? Do they give you software that's or like, what what's the old computer?
Speaker 2: Like version of.
Speaker 10: Windows on Windows ten?
Speaker 2: Okay and the new one has eleven?
Speaker 13: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, And this is software that when you're getting this new computer, they just bundle it in and say for an extra forty bucks, we'll give you this hard driving more or whatever.
Speaker 5: That's the way I understand it. I don't know if it's all software or if there's a physical connection between some ports or something. I don't know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it could be. I mean, here's the thing. So Number one, I typically don't. I don't transfer computers to the next one like I've done, you know, many upgrades over the years. I always start fresh because I feel like, if you're bringing your old computer over, unless you have a specific reason to why bring all the baggage that comes with that computer that you've run for so long onto a new, fresh computer that's going to run nice and fast and clean. So I personally always install things with a fresh start. But if you don't want to do that, there's a couple of ways around this. Number One, if you're trying to use a program that's going to bring over, like the applications and things like that can get kind of tricky, so I don't typically recommend that. But if you want to bring over your software, your files and things like that, you know you can dump those all into something like one drive which is built into the Windows computer on the you know, the old one, and then you know, on the new computer just reaccess those and bring those over. Now, you may have too many files and that's not going to work, and so you know, you don't want to spend the money on buying cloud storage for that to happen, but you can also just put them on an external hard drive and you can back them up to a drive and then bring that drive over to the new computer. The main thing is that you're probably still going to have to unless you're cloning a drive, You're probably still going to have to bring over your applications, which means you're gonna have to reinstall those on the new computer as well. Now Windows used to have sort of a migration tool built in. They do not anymore, which is probably why this computer company is offering to sell you some software. The popular software is PC mover from LapLink. That may be what they're selling you forty bucks online. So if that, you know, if you want it to be easy and simple and you want to use the software transfer, then go ahead. It's it's going to make life a little bit easier and you know everything's going to be pulled over to the new computer. Personally, I'm just much more hands on and I like to know what's happening and what's being pulled over and what settings are changing and all that kind of stuff. So I would like to do this myself. But I don't see any problem with doing this. If you want to make life easy for yourself, go ahead. That's probably the best way to do it. Thanks for the call there in Bettsville, Ohio. Stanley appreciate it. Let's go to Richard in Saint Charles, Illinois.
Speaker 2: Richard, you're on with rich Hi, I've got a problem.
Speaker 7: I've got a computer that has Windows pen on it, and it keeps every few days saying you have to update. It'll do it when you turn it off, if you tell it to or whatever, and eventually, and I always say, forget it. I never want any updates. How do I get it so I don't have to have these things screwing up my computer all the time?
Speaker 2: Oh? Good question.
Speaker 1: Well, first off, I do recommend doing the updates, and I know people don't want to do updates because it changes things, it changes the way their computer works. But there's a reason for these updates, and it is mostly security. Sometimes they do throw in an update that will change the way your computer works. But if you want to just do the updates that are security related, when you're looking at that update screen, you should have the choice to choose the individual updates that you want to do. You could tell which ones are security related. Because they're typically marked that way, but other times there's a bigger update that will change some of the things on your computer. So I would say it's best to do the updates just if you want to keep your computer protected. There is no way to stop the updates easily, as.
Speaker 2: Far as I know.
Speaker 1: On Windows, there are some ways to pause them for seven days, and you can repeat that if you want to pause them for a period of time, but there really isn't a way to stop them forever. Looking here and seeing if there's a way to defer some of these updates, yeah, I mean it's one of these things where there are some ways to just defer them for a while, but there's not a way to keep them from never happening. I mean, really, you can defer them for as long as you want to keep them from happening for a certain period of time, but eventually you know you're probably gonna have to do these things, and.
Speaker 2: I do recommend you do them.
Speaker 1: I think with any any device that you have, whether it is your phone, whether it is your computer, these software updates are put there for a reason, and they're put there to protect you from the exploits that are discovered in the wild, and so especially on a Windows computer, that is the most common platform out there, and so there are a lot of things that can affect this, and so by not doing these updates, you are putting yourself at a disadvantage. I understand it changes things. I know sometimes you get these things on there and they're just you know, they change the way your computer works or runs. But they still are very important to do. So my advice is to always do them. I know it changes, but if you want to put them off, you can pause them for a while and keep them at bay for just a little bit. But I always recommend doing them all. Right, coming up, let's see what can I tell you about. Speaking of security, if you have an iPhone, there is a new security setting that I definitely think you should turn on. And Apple is changing big changes over in Europe. I'm not sure they'll trickle here to the US, but Apple is overhauling its app store in response to this new European Union digital law, and so I will tell you what you need to know about that, plus the website. Rich on tech dot TV. If you have a question for me, you can call in Triple eight rich one on one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. You are listening to rich on Tech. Welcome back to rich on Tech. Rich Demiro here hanging out with you, talking technology at Triple eight Rich one O one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. By the way, if you hear something I mentioned on the show and you want to link, just go to rich on tech dot tv slash wiki wiki and that will give you the live show notes for the show that you are listening to right now. You can always get the show notes later at richon tech dot tv, but if you go to wiki, it will give you the ones that are basically happening in real time, like everything's being written down. Let's go to Gordon. Gordon is in Costa Mesa. You're on with Rich.
Speaker 8: Hey, Rich, I.
Speaker 14: Have a Asis laptop seventeen inch and it's eleven years old and it's starting to fail, and I wanted to know what brand is a good brand, whether I should stay with Windows or Mac. I don't do a few bills on the computer, but nothing really much.
Speaker 1: Uh as you're thinking of switching to Mac, well, I don't know.
Speaker 14: I have never used the Mac. I always use Windows. But a friend of mine was saying it was easy to learn, but I.
Speaker 1: Don't know, I think it's easy to I mean, it's definitely a change. I think that uh, you know, a really really good MacBook, the MacBook Error is an excellent choice.
Speaker 2: But what do you What do you do on the computer?
Speaker 14: Mostly emails and just kind of surfing and you know, we might get a wireless bill and I just and it's paid with a credit card or bank account, so it's not really on the computer that I have a bank account number such and such.
Speaker 1: Well, look, I mean the main thing is that you're You're probably gonna be fine with any computer. I think it's really the specs that matter with these things, because I assume you're just going to like go to get like best Buy or something like that to buy one.
Speaker 14: Is that or are you going to try either that or Costco?
Speaker 10: But oh yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 14: I need I need somebody to assist me to transfer everything I have on the other computer to the new one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's also, well, that would be yeah, I mean that would be a consideration, especially with this computer that you have that's been around for a while. But again I would recommend just you can dump all your files onto like an external hard drive, and that's an easy way to do it. But uh, okay, So when it comes to the question of Mac versus PC, so you already know PC, you already know how it works, so I have no problem with you sticking with that. I personally think that the MacBook Air is a really easy to use computer that is.
Speaker 2: Going to last for a long time.
Speaker 1: I'm impressed that you got eleven years out of this current laptop, so kudos to you for that. But you know, when it comes to the new laptop, I think it really comes down to the specs. So and Costco you mentioned, that's a great place to start because they typically only have a small selection of laptops, whether it is a couple of Apple laptops or a couple of Windows laptops, and they're all excellent. So you really cannot go wrong with something that you buy at Costco. So if that's if you do have a membership there, I would go in there see what they have. And when it comes to laptops on the Windows side, you know they have some gaming laptops and things like that. You don't need those. But if it's just a standard laptop like an a sus or an Acer. I would get something that has sixteen gigabytes of RAM. That's kind of the minimum that I would look for. And then for the hard drive, probably like a one terabyte hard drive. You could probably be okay with a five to twelve gigabyte, but I think a one terabyte drive along with sixteen gigabytes of RAM is going to be best. And then when it comes to the processor, when it comes to Intel, the higher the number the better. And so if you're looking at like say an Intel, you know they usually go by Core I five, Core I seven, Core I nine. If it's like a three, that's probably going to be you know, that's on the low end of things. I look for at least a five or a seven on the Intel processors. So that's really what it comes down to is look for those specs. Make sure you're getting something that that it's decent specs that's going to last you a long time, versus something that's just you know, five hundred dollars a best Buy and it's like a chromebook style thing and it's not going to last you very long because you got a long time out of this last computer. I'm very very impressed Now, when it comes to the Apple side of things, the Apple the MacBook Air M one is a little bit older. But this thing was on sale for like seven hundred and fifty dollars over the holiday, so I'm checking to see what the price is now. Oh, it's still seven hundred and fifty bucks. And so if you want to switch to the Apple side of things, this MacBook Air from twenty twenty has an M one chip. It only has eight gigs of RAM and a two hundred and fifty six gigabyte hard drive, so that on the on that aspect, the spect are not very good. But this is going to be a very fast computer and I think that's and it's going to last a long time and there's not a lot of bloatwear on the Mac computer. So I hope that helps. But I would say go to Costco and that's probably the best place to start. And if you need to, you can email me a picture of those the two that you're trying to decide between. There. Believe me, people have done it before, so that might be the best way to do it. All right, Thanks for the call. Gordon calling in today from Costa Mesa. Okay, so there is a new feature on the iPhone if you have an iPhone that you need to enable. It is called stolen Device Protection. This is an iOS seventeen point three, So if you haven't updated your phone to iOS seventeen point three, you'll need to do it. I talked about this. This is all because of the Wall Street Journal. If you turn on the setting, it will now require your face ID or your fingerprint, or a one hour delay before allowing big changes to your account like changing your Apple ID password or disabling fine min and so this will add an extra layer to your phone. In case someone steals your phone and also figures out your passcode, they won't be able to make major changes to your phone that will enable them to not only steal your phone, but also rob you of your identity and your data and your financial apps. So it basically puts one level of protection between you and the bad people. Go to iPhone settings face ID, and it's under Stolen Device Protection. If you don't see that new feature, you got to do a software update again. iPhone Settings face ID, Stolen Device Protection.
Speaker 2: Turn it on.
Speaker 1: Coming up next. Mitch Goldstone from scan my Photos dot Com. Welcome back to rich on Tech. Rich DeMuro here hanging out with you talking technology at Triple eight Rich one oh one, that's eighty eight seven four two four one zero one joining me in the studio Mitch Goldstone of scan my Photos dot Com. Mitch, thanks so much for joining me today, Rich.
Speaker 3: Pleasure is always for the guys.
Speaker 1: You. You're actually one of only two people who have been in studio. First, yeah, you were the first, and now you're actually the third because we've only had Jefferson Graham, my friend.
Speaker 2: I know Jeff is the greatest guy in there. I know he is a great guy.
Speaker 1: Okay. Oh and oh, Bobo reminded me, yeah, my son. Do I have both my sons on? Yeah? Okay, no, just one, just one? Okay, Parker was over the phone. Anyway, So the reason you're here, we'll talk about scan my photos dot Com and the fact that you run this great business that helps you ble scan all of the old photos and film reels and all that stuff. But you also did something really interesting. You run a small business and you somehow secured a five point five billion dollar payment card settlement, and it all relates to this you brought into prop. Tell me if you can hear this, if you're of a certain age when you went to the store. That's the sound you heard when you checked out. It is a credit card. What do you call this thing? Credit card?
Speaker 3: Imprinter with carbon copy receipts took three days to send those to Miami. Millions of merchants took three days to get their money. And that sounds so I have to say, I'm humbled to be here today after last week's show with my other hero, Joanna Stern.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, she's great.
Speaker 1: She awesome, She is awesome and every time and she emails you to say, hey, join and we come on show. Absolutely. When when do you need me? Okay, So let's talk about this settlement. So five point five to four billion dollar anti trust class action settlement for merchants who accepted Visa MasterCard from twenty four to twenty nineteen. So what started you on this journey to try to get the settlement? What was the problem?
Speaker 5: Rich?
Speaker 3: The problem was my business partner and I, Carl Berman, ran the photo business, and we realized that everything got less expensive and faster, much like Moore's law, everything but one thing. Even with scanning. We digitized two pictures and a second slides one every second, but credit card fees kept on going up, so we were concerned. I reached out to Visa and MasterCard. The biggest mistake they never took my call from Purchase New York and in San Francisco, and all I wanted to do was ask why are these rates going up?
Speaker 2: So what are these fees? Just explain what those fees are like.
Speaker 1: Every time when you use a credit card at a company, or even a debit card or is this just credit credit and debit card, they take a little patient, they take a little portion, which is a big portion.
Speaker 3: It's tens of billions of dollars a year. Back then, when you had the credit card imprint and carbon copies, it was cost based. But what happened was I reached out and found the most awesome law firm, Robins Kaplan in Minneapolis. Out here in Century City, Craig Wildfang, Ryan, the whole group. They're the ones that took on the tobacco industry. Mister Wildfang was Janet Reno. Worked with Janet Reno Department of Justice, and we got together and they explained to me that Visa and MasterCard were both owned by the same banks, Wells Fargo, ba of a chase, all of them city and they also had the same board of directors, and twice a year, millions of merchants like scan my photos would get a letter saying your rates are going up. But we got two letters, one from Visa, one for MasterCard and on the same day and the same rates.
Speaker 2: So I'm thinking, I don't want to throw out a term like collusion.
Speaker 3: But five point five billion dollars in collusion took eighteen years. Carl and I started in two thousand and five with this. It's collusion, anti competitive price fixing. So the best part about the lawsuit is once I followed as lead plaintiff, Visa and MasterCard immediately went public, which confirmed that there was a problem. And then they did the second thing almost instantly, they created a separate board of directors because the same guys are on Visa. So it took eighteen years. It's a massive, its largest antitrust suit in US history. And I know every one of your listeners around the country right now who are business owners, are thinking, well, how do I get involved?
Speaker 2: How do I get this money?
Speaker 1: But eighteen years, eighteen years, this took, and it's all because of you, Like literally you.
Speaker 3: Well, but yeah, it's kind of like, you know Aaron brockovic promos.
Speaker 1: I was going to say, I didn't.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, I have a story about that.
Speaker 3: I mentioned at cees at the Netflix Pavilion, I ran into our dear friend Lance all and Off and I was chatting with him, and as soon as I left him, these two guys came up to me and said, I overheard what you guys were talking about. One is movie producer and another is a screenwriter. And they were saying, Oh my god, this is like the next Aaron Brockovitz two point zero.
Speaker 1: We're going to see a movie with mention it. Oh, more like Matt Damon.
Speaker 3: There's a lot I don't know, but it was really it was so inspiring. They were excited with it. But the point now is people aren't taking this seriously. You know, if you have a class action envelope, you throw it away, it's for a penny or a coupon. Rich this is thousands, tens, hundreds of thousands of dollars based on the size of the business.
Speaker 1: It is huge.
Speaker 3: So I helped design When people go to the scan my Photos website, all the information is there. You'll see the claim form. Carl and I helped design it. We have barcode in it, so you just scan the barcode. It takes a second. So now there are all these other companies that are trying to help businesses with undisclosed fees. One company all over on TikTok Social is saying for forty percent will handle everything for you.
Speaker 1: No please everyone. So so just to get this straight, there is a direct way to do this where you can file you know, your claim, I guess. But then there's these other klingon companies that are coming out of the woodwork saying, hey, we'll do this for you. You tell us how much. We'll fill out all the information, but we're going to take a cut of that. Don't like a third party, you don't want to do that.
Speaker 3: No, and you received one as well in the mail, right.
Speaker 1: So is this real?
Speaker 5: This is?
Speaker 6: So?
Speaker 2: This is the real one.
Speaker 5: That is it?
Speaker 3: And all you have to do is fill it out. It takes a second. There's a bar code in it. And because there's so many millions, I never thought i'd be moiles. There are millions of merchants, businesses that are in business that are also no longer in business. So we're sending out a million a day, a million of those every day. And the important thing is all the giant big companies know about this and they're having.
Speaker 2: People figure it out.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 3: I want all small businesses to take advantage of this. The average is like five percent of people ever redeemed. No, this needs to be one hundred percent. We need every small business And the problem is if you don't fill that out, it just goes into the pool. So everyone who did gets more. But if you're no longer in business, and I know a lot of people that listen to rich and tech from you and from years ago, may no longer be in business, you still get it from two thousand and four to twenty nineteen, and all you have to do is fill out the form. We put everything on the scan my Photos website as well. If you just go to in the news or the blog, right up front all the information and there's a direct link to help with the claims administrator. All of that so really easy.
Speaker 1: So the official website is Paymentcard Settlement dot com. Right okay, scan my Photos dot com will also have a link. You might have gotten a letter in the mail that says it's time to file your claim for your share of the five point five plus billion dollar settlement if you accepted Visa or MasterCard from January first, two thousand and four through January twenty fifth, twenty nineteen, and it's it comes from the payment card Interchange Fee settlement. So again, if you ran a small business and you know, even if you're not running that business anymore, you may have a portion of this money coming your way, but you have to put in the claim for it.
Speaker 3: You do, and we want as many people as possible. That's way even on Twitter at the scan my photo c or credit card. So on Twitter the address is scan my photo CEE. Just reach out to us, ask us any questions, let us know did you get one of these? Did you not? Do you have any questions and we'll put your right in charge with the claims adjuster.
Speaker 1: Okay, So now that you did this, Mitch, I mean, has anything changed with the way credit cards are taken at businesses? Everything?
Speaker 3: All the technology has changed because back then you'd have to swipe the card. Now they're all the security features are in it with the the chip, the chip, all of that. So all of the reasons the bank said we need to charge lots of money because of fraud. Fraud has been vastly reduced because of how easy and quick and instantaneous. When you use a debit card and you go and you swipe it, money is instantly taken out of your account, yet the merchant is still being charged and interchange.
Speaker 1: Right because of that convenience. I always find it interesting when I can't use my own card, when they're protecting me from myself. I'm like, no, you're just protecting your bank. You know that, you don't really care. You know, I've been in Japan, I've been an other most of the time. It happens when I'm traveling and all of a sudden, it's like, you know, you try to use your card that first you step off the plane. You try to use your card, even debit or credit, and it's like it gets locked up, and you're like, oh no, now I got to deal with this card being locked up. So thank you for doing that. It's very exciting. And quickly before we go, give me an update on scan myphotos dot com. This is a huge business that you run just keeping people's memories digitized forever.
Speaker 3: It is well, we have crazy big news tomorrow. I'm kind of precluded from talking about it yet, but people will see it all over the country today with you, though, I'd rather focus on the credit cards than the other part. Things are going great and on that side, but this is more about the millions of businesses out there, tiny little businesses, big businesses. Please fill out the claim form.
Speaker 1: Absolutely you heard it from the man himself, Mitch Goldstone of scan my photos dot com. Five point five billion dollar payment card settlement. Go to the website payment Card Settlement dot com or scan my photos dot com to get more information and to submit your claim.
Speaker 2: Thanks so much for joining me in studio today.
Speaker 1: You're the best. Appreciate it rich On Tech dot TV. Of course we'll have a link as well coming up more of your questions at triple eight rich one on one eighty eight seven four to two four one zero one. Plus I will tell you about how Apple is making some changes to their app store because of a European law.
Speaker 2: Coming up.
Speaker 1: Welcome, come back to rich On Tech. Rich DeMuro here hanging out with you talking technology at triple eight rich one oh one. That's eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. Just had Mitch Goldstone in here to talk about his Aaron Brockovic moment five point five billion dollars. So if you ran a small business between twenty four and twenty nineteen, accepted Visa and or MasterCard, you might have some money coming your way. The website once again payment Cardsettlement dot Com. Well, this week Apple made some or is announced some major changes to the way it's doing business in Europe, all in response to this new Digital Markets Act, which takes effect in March twenty twenty three. Over in Europe. This is all for the EU. The reason I'm telling you this is because a it is a huge shift in the way Apple does business, because Apple historically, traditionally has run a very clared shop. You buy the iPhone, they make the phone, they make the software, they make the hardware, they make the app store, they make the payment system. It is all very apply and then all the accessories you buy are mostly Apple stuff.
Speaker 2: As well.
Speaker 1: Over in Europe, they are trying to break down those walls, and so Apple is making some changes to comply with this new law. So number one, users are going to be able to download apps from competing app stores outside of the Apple App Store. That's for the first time ever on Android We call this sideloading, and it's been available and Android for many, many years. This is the first time it's available on the iPhone in a big way without jail breaking. Banks and other services will be allowed to offer competing payment methods inside their apps, so you no longer have to use Apple Pay as your default. Maybe you want to use Samsung Pay, Maybe you want to use PayPal pay, maybe you want to use Venmo pay, maybe you want to use Google Pay.
Speaker 2: Whatever you want, you'll be able to do it.
Speaker 1: The new iPhones will show users an option to download a different web browser like Chrome and Firefox as an alternative to the Safari. You could already set a default browser that is not Safari on the iPhone, but they are going to also allow a different version of the web browser to run. It's a little complicated, but basically any web browser that you run on the iPhone still in the background sort of runs the Safari framework. They are now going to allow Chrome and Firefox to run their own framework. The whole point of these changes is that, you know, it's to limit the power of big tech companies like Apple, Amazon, Meta, Google, Microsoft in areas like app stores and payments, because right now they have a lot of power. You buy the iPhone, you subscribe using Apple Services to any app that you want to download in there. Now, this is going to have profe implications, mostly over in Europe, and I think that I don't really see a lot of this stuff happening in the US unless Apple is compelled to do it here for some reason. But in Europe this is a huge shift, and I'll be honest, there's a big debate online about whether this is going to be good for consumers or bad for consumers. I think that you can see both sides of that. So on the one side, let's say your kid plays roadblocks, and if you buy roebucks from roadblocks directly on the iPhone, maybe they're cheaper than if you buy the roebucks through Apple's payment system, and so in that way it will be nice. But on the flip side, and Apple has said that this is going to open up a lot of security and privacy risks for fraud, for hacks, and the reason for that is that you can now get tricked much more easily on an iPhone because you are using methods to pay, methods to download apps that are not vetted, and so there will be many opportunities where people will stumble because you think you're buying one thing and it turns out you might be buying another. So you're taking outside of that guarded security wall that Apple offers right now, and it is going to be kind of a free for all. So we'll continue to watch that. But again, big changes in the way that Apple is doing business over in Europe, and it's going to be a big deal. Ed is in Las Vegas? Ed, you're on with Rich?
Speaker 5: Rich?
Speaker 12: Here you doing?
Speaker 2: I'm doing fantastic?
Speaker 10: How are you good?
Speaker 6: Good?
Speaker 13: Good? I appreciate your show. I was listening to Leo for years and said hi to Cam. That was great to talk to her about. My question? Is here in Vegas? And I never hear you mention it that they advertise something called Tableau Ta b L Tableau TV and says you can even record TV shows. It's supposed to be I guess, kicking your table company to the curb getting better TV service. Don't know much about it. Is it worth looking into? Do you know anything about it?
Speaker 1: Yes? I just met with them when I was in Las Vegas at CS a couple of weeks ago. Right, it feels like forever ago, but it was just recent, right, But yes, so and I and I used Tableau extensively for the old model. I've not tested the new model, but they are sending me that. And so the new model, which is the one you're probably seeing advertised, looks like a circular puck.
Speaker 2: It's got an.
Speaker 1: Area on the back where you can attach a antenna, so you'll need an antenna, and then it has a built in DVR and there's no subscription, so it is free. And so what you do is you plug in the antenna into this device. You got to make sure you have a good signal for that, and it will allow you to record shows and you know, just like you would on a TVO back in the day or any other DVR. And there's really there's really no downside to this. You get fifty hours of internal storage, you can add external storage.
Speaker 2: It works over Wi Fi.
Speaker 1: And the cool thing is anything that's recorded onto this device, you can watch it on any device in your home. So inside the house, this little device becomes almost like a you know, like a DVR for every device. So if you want to watch the show on your phone, you can watch it on your phone. If you want to watch it on your smart TV. You can watch it on your smart TV. It's pretty easy to set up. You get a fourteen day channel guide for free and again no subscription fees. So the main things you don't get no four K support, no you know, no watching outside of the house. And it is a little buggy. From my friends that have used this, they say that there are some software bugs. But Tableau this is brand new for the second generation of it, and it was just purchased by Scripts, by the way, the big news company, and so they are pushing this thing hard. And I believe the price is about one hundred dollars, so I say one hundred percent. If you have a good signal over the air and you want to get over the air shows and you want to record them, absolutely go for the Tableau. I think it's a fantastic device. Just be aware of the software bugs that you might encounter, but know that they are continually upgrading and making this thing better. Thanks for the call today, Ed in Las Vegas, Triple eight Rich one O one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. Welcome back to rich on Tech. Another hour of the show coming your way, plus time for your calls to Triple eight Rich one on one. That's eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. This is a show where I talk about technology and answer your questions. It's the tech stuff I think you should know about. It's a lot of stuff to tell you about here, But silly me, I've been telling you all these you know, different web addresses to go to. But the easiest place I forgot about this feature on the website that has a nice big banner at the top. So if you go to rich on tech dot tv, just tap the big red banner at the top and that'll take you right to the links for today's show. So I know I've mentioned a lot of stuff. I mentioned that just watch app for the streaming services. I mentioned this sole and device protection for your iPhone that you should turn on. I mentioned the link to check if your data is involved in that mother of all data breaches. We mentioned the one plus twelve smartphone, the payment card settlement, Tableau TV, so many different things. So if you want links to anything that I mentioned, just go to rich on tech dot tv hit the big red banner up at the top. Coming up this hour, I'm gonna tell you about being ghosted. What the Better Business Bureau says, you can get ghosted by your tax preparer. You don't want that to happen. New Pixel features coming soon to the Pixel that. I've played with them and they are pretty cool. Plus, we have a guest, John Faulkner of Clean Fleet Report is going to have his review of the Kia EV nine. This is the three row s u V e V first of many. First, let's go to Matt in Seal Beach, California. Matt, you're on with Rich Rich. Hi, welcome to the shop.
Speaker 9: I've got a networking question for you. I recently upgraded my internet service to two point five gigabits. They provided me with an euro Mesh system, okay, which is which is great, works awesome. The problem I'm having is on the Euro there is there is a one gigabit jack and a two point five bigabit jack. I would love to get two point five gigabits coming out of that through a hard line, but I'm unable to because the only two point five big a bit jack is taken up by the connection from the O n T to the mesh system. And I'm basically looking for a unit that has you know, multiple two point five out or a solution to get that that hard line.
Speaker 1: Oh so you're saying that the two point five jack is taken up by the INN and the out is one.
Speaker 9: Yeah, the out of the one, So I can I can only get one out, which is you know, I get It's great, I get like nine and eighty up and down. Yeah, really like the two point five.
Speaker 6: If I could.
Speaker 1: Yeah, if you can get well, okay, So first off, what you have is like relatively new and very high speed. So yeah, most of these home networking solutions that are out do not have capabilities for that just yet because it is so new and it's so high end. Now with that said, there is a new euro called the Eero Max seven and it is it's pretty intense. I mean you're talking. This thing is five hundred and ninety nine dollars for a one pack, and uh, if you look on this thing, this is meant for these super high internet standards that you're that are now starting to come about. Like at my house, I have a one gigabit connection, but they actually I think it goes up to five gigabits in my house. I've not upgraded that because I just don't need that much, but it is nice to have if you can, so I think the short answer is most of these are not meant for that type of speed just yet. We're just starting to see them come into the marketplace. So if I were you, I would take a look at the super high end offerings from You already have euro so it may be worth it to just see if you can add one of these. It's called the EO Max seven. See if you can add that to the mix. And I think it should be backwards compatible with your other devices. So you would have to spend six hundred bucks on this thing, which is a lot. I don't know if this thing has gone on sale just yet, you know, I mean it's on sale, like available. I don't know if it's actually been discounted yet. But that's probably the one that you want to look at to see if they have if that'll do what you need. But this one definitely handles speeds up to nine point four gigabits wired and wireless up to four point three gigabits, so that would definitely take care of what you need if you're looking for that high end speed. Otherwise, you know, I'm looking at the back of it by the way, and there are one two, three four ports on the back and there's two two point five gigabit ports and then ten to ten gigabit ports, so you would be covered with that.
Speaker 2: But that's six hundred dollars.
Speaker 1: So that's probably the easiest way to add it to your system is just to go with the Eero Max seven and that's probably going to take care of it. But again, if you want to switch to a different system, I would just take a look at the super high end like ORB or TP link whatever they have that's like they're almost their their max or there you know, pro level systems, because that's what's going to have these speeds. But we're going to see much more of this come about in the next six months to a year, probably see many more of these. K for the question, Matt, You've got some serious speed. Matt's got a serious need for speed there in Seal Beach. Thanks for the call today, Triple eight Rich one on one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. Gary writes in Hey, Rich, you mentioned that Samsung is providing seven years of security updates with the S twenty four. How long will they provide monthly updates. Samsung doesn't make it easy to find this information. The S nine started with monthly updates, then went to quarterly, then semi annual. Their mid range phone start with quarterly then go to semi annual. Is Google any better in this regard? Do they offer monthly updates for the seven years on the Pixel eight? I'd like an Android phone that provides monthly security updates as long as possible. Thanks Gary, Well, Gary, you're right that the new Samsung does offer seven years of OS and security updates, and on the Pixel eight lineup, they're also offering seven years of updates as well. Now here's the thing. Nobody is guaranteeing the frequency of those updates. So with Google, they used to guarantee that the updates would come out on a monthly basis, the first Monday of the month. They have gone away from that. And the reason they've gone away from it is because people were setting their calendars to it and then getting angry when they didn't deliver, and that puts a lot of pressure on the company, especially over seven years, to come out those software updates. So Samsung has said, yes, we will support this for seven years, but we're not going to give you a rundown of exactly the timeline of that, so it may come out, you know, when necessary, but they will keep it up to date. Same thing with Pixel phones. They are now just coming out with the updates as necessary when they can, on their own schedule. So that's the deal with that. Tony writes in Hey, Rich, after listening to your podcast, I heard a caller talking about Verizon quietly raising their prices without us knowing. I immediately checked my bill, and yes they are. I'm tired of their antics. Living in New Jersey and I travel along the East coast, Verizon is dominant. I'm thinking of at least switching to their Visible and going with a thirty five dollars plan. I drive all night and I stream a lot. My question is if I switch my iPhone and Apple Watch to Visible and then next year upgrade my phone, it doesn't give Visible as a provider when I check out and using Apple's finance for two years, it only gives AT and T, T Mobile and Verizon. Would I just choose Verizon as always? Thank you sir for what you do, Tony. Uh, Tony, No, you could not just choose Verizon. You can you can't just choose Verizon because you're that's for a Verizon plan. So if you're going with a visible plan, the whole thing is that you would actually get a cheaper price on the plan over the couple of years. So they're not going to give you that financing deal. Now, if you've heard from me, I don't recommend financing in general. I always say save up for it and buy it out right if you can. I understand that most people don't like to do that these days, but you know, I'm just telling you what I feel. But Apple does have a program called the Apple iPhone Upgrade Program, and that is basically their own own version of a financing program that gives you a new iPhone, you know, every twelve months or every year, whatever it is.
Speaker 2: They have their own sort of program.
Speaker 1: So that's if you want to split up that payment and not pay the full price outright, that is the program that you would have to choose. You can't just choose the AT and T or the team OB or the Verizon because you do have to have an active plan with those carriers to take advantage. And the reason why is because they're making money on you staying with them and paying an inflated price every month to stay with them. So yes, you can get the Visible service for thirty five bucks a month or one of these other MV and o's that are much cheaper. But if you're on one of these big unlimited plans, which you typically have to do to get that financing or that quote unquote free phone, they're making, you know, twenty thirty dollars off of you every month kind of built into the price of your plan. If you do the math and you look at the old plans that used to pay for your phone, like let's say five, six, seven years ago, when you paid two hundred dollars for a smartphone, basically you would pay less for your phone, but more for your plan. Now you just pay more for your plan and are less for your plan and more for your phone. It's all the same. The math works out at the end of the year, if you do it like three years, it's about the same exact price. They just moved things around. It's like a it's like one of those games, you know with the cups and the balls. Is there a name for that game? Bobo is laughing. Bobo really perked up there. I don't know what I said it's a cups and balls game. I mean, come on, that's what it is. I'm sure there's a name for it. Let's see cups. I just keep saying cups and balls. No, it's a cups and balls game. It's a it's a magic game. Yeah, see Bobo. Get all right? Triple A Rich one o one eighty eight seven four two four to one zero one. Uh. Coming up, we're gonna talk to John Faulkner of Clean Fleet Report. He's going to review the Kia EV nine. The website once again, rich on tech dot TV. If you're not following me on Instagram, I highly recommend that you do that.
Speaker 2: I am at rich on Tech.
Speaker 1: I often post great Instagram stories and a little how to's and videos and all that kind of stuff. So it's a fun place you are listening to rich on Tech. Welcome back to rich on Tech. Rich Demiro here talking technology with you at Triple eight Rich one oh one eighty eight seven four to two, four to one zero one. The website rich on tech dot tv. If you want to link to something I mentioned on today's show, just click the big red banner at the top of the screen. It said heard it mentioned on the radio. Click here you can get the links to anything I've talked about Rubyl wrote in on Twitter or I guess formerly known as Twitter now X. The cups and balls is called shell game.
Speaker 2: There you go.
Speaker 1: See that's what I knew. There was a term I knew. There's the term. Bobo say, has never heard of it? Yeah, it's like to shell It's something.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 1: Let me get through a few news news spots before we get to John Faulkner of clean Fleet Report to talk about the Kia EV nine. It is tax season. I'm sure you're getting things going for the tax year. I'll tell you about my favorite app by the way that I use. It's called fly finn Ai, and it is incredible. If you're a freelancer or you keep track of like anything that you could write off at the end of the year, fly finn uses AI to figure out what those things might be. So you basically link it up to your checking account or your credit card or your debit card and all the little like items the transactions it will identify and like, let's say you make a transaction that you know, you buy a plane ticket, It'll be like, well, was this for business? And you can keep it and then give that's your tax person, or they can do the taxes later. Again, that's called fly finn Ai really cool iOS and Android. Speaking of taxes, don't be ghosted by your tax preparer. According to the Better Business Bureau, these are fly by night tax preparation offices. They offer large or fast refunds, and at the end of the day they ask you to sign your own tax return even though they prepared it. That is the red flag. They don't use a prepare tax ID number, which if you are using someone to prepare your taxes, they have to sign them with this P ten PTI N prepare tax ID that basically links them to your taxes. Doesn't put you, you know, it doesn't take you off the hook if something goes wrong, but just the irs knows that someone helped you with your taxes. So what these people do is they help you with your taxes, they get you this big refund or whatever they promise it, and then they they're never to be found again, and then you're stuck with a major headache. So only allow your refunds to be deposited in your own account. Review your return, make sure it has the proper signatures on it. Watch out for any of these pop up tax prep places that may try to ghost you and leave you with a major headache.
Speaker 2: Just be wary.
Speaker 1: This is really cool. I sat through talk about boring. I sat through a government zoom session on this new IRS Direct File free tax filing, and it was great because I learned a lot about it. But it was like over an hour and it's like, Okay, can you get to the point here, like what you know? But the IRS is launching this thing called direct File, and this is a new free online tax filing service. It's a pilot with only twelve states this year, but it means you can completely file your taxes through the IRS website for free. And they're doing it in Alaska, Arizona, California, Florida, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New York, Nevada, Hey you say Nevada, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Washington, and Wyoming. And so this doesn't necessarily have income limits, but it does have certain situations that apply. So if you have like a lot of deductions, or you have a whole bunch of like interests or something like that, you won't be able to use it. But you can look on the direct file website and see if you can do this, and if you can, it's all free. And so this is for your federal tax filing. You'll still have to file your state taxes the other way. But this is all because TurboTax, which was trusted previously with the free tax filing, basically allegedly hid their free service from Google searches and tricked people into paying for stuff they didn't need to pay for. So the IRS trusted into it TurboTax with the free file service for many years, and people would get there and they think they're filing for free, and then all of a sudden they be like, oh no, you got to pay this amount. And so now the IRS is doing their own thing and of course into it and TurboTax say they did nothing wrong.
Speaker 2: But you know, this is going to be much easier.
Speaker 1: So if you want to do this direct file thing, if you want to see if you qualify, it's not available just yet, but you can read about it on the website IRS dot gov gov. Do not go to IRS dot com. That is not an official website. You will be scammed, or at least you will be. Let's see what does that go to IRS dot com. That takes you to I'll see what. That takes you to IRS dot gov. Slash direct file that will take you to the official one. IRS dot com is a okay, it's a way to like pay your taxes and stuff. But it's not affiliated with the government, so they're sort of come on, government, like, you should just take that website because that's that's probably confusing to a lot of people. New pixel features coming out January thirty. First, you now have two new pixel phones in Mint. Pixelate Pixelate Pro are available in this new Mint color. Pixelate Pro can now take body temperature using the thermometer app. I tested this out. It is so cool. It feels like the future. You take the phone, you wave it over your forehead and it will take your temperature. And it took a lot for Google to figure this out, but this was now we know when the when the Pixel eight pro first came out, had this little had this little temperature sensor on it, and we're like, this thing is pointless because you can only use it to take the temperature of objects, like they said, you cannot use this on people. Well, the plan all along was to get this thing to a place where you could use it on people. And it was very complicated because you're holding your phone over your forehead and swiping it. So Google had to come up with a lot of different things and algorithms and a way to help you do that. And it's really good. And so now if you have a Pixelate Pro, you can update the thermometer app and it will take temperature of humans. The other feature coming out is circle to Search. I've already talked about how cool that is. You can search anything on your phone just by circling it or scribbling over it. That is going to make Instagram stalking so much easier. And I joke, but if someone shares a pair of sneakers that they have, like the other day, someone posted last night a picture of a meal they were having and on the plate it said.
Speaker 2: The name of the place. I was like, Oh, that looks cool.
Speaker 1: So I just circled to search found the place and I was like, ah, that's a cool looking place. That would have taken me like ten extra steps to get to previous.
Speaker 2: All right, they're playing me off.
Speaker 1: Coming up, John Faulkner of Clean Fleet Report, we'll talk about the Kia EV nine. My name is Rich Dumiro and you are listening to rich on Tech. Welcome back to rich on Tech. Rich Demiro here hanging out talking technology with you the website rich on Tech dot tv. You heard me mention something you want to get a link for. Just go to the website. Hit the big red banner at the top of the screen that says heard it mentioned on the radio, Easy as that there are a whole bunch of three row electric SUVs set to hit the market. One of the first is the twenty twenty four Kia EV nine. John Faulkner of Clean Fleet Report has driven it. John, Welcome to the show.
Speaker 8: Hello, Rich good speak with you.
Speaker 1: Good to have you so welcome to the show. Let's talk about these three row SUV evs. First off, this is kind of like the Holy Grail for the US because people love their big SUVs.
Speaker 8: I've been asked for so long, when is a company going to come out with a three row electric suv? A true three row. Now, there are SUVs that are electric that are still the habitaord row, but not really. This one is a true third row. You can get two full size adults in the third row with leg room and the back seat and a third row reclients, so you have nice headroom also, so.
Speaker 1: This is uh, this is basically room for seven. Is that right?
Speaker 8: It's if you get the bench seat, you have seven. If you get the captains chairs in the second row you have you have six, two four six.
Speaker 1: Okay, oh captains, Wow, they offer that. I remember when we were shopping for an SUV, we really wanted the captain's seats in the second row because then you don't have to move the row or the you know, the seats every time you want to get into the back, which.
Speaker 8: Is really something that Key has done nicely. Onto EV nine. The second row captain source chairs not only slide, but they fold, therefore getting into that third row even for a large person someone me, You're you're taller than me, you'd have no problem getting it at all.
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, So this car gets anywhere from two hundred and thirty to three hundred and four miles of range. You've got fast charging, you can get one hundred miles of range in ten minutes. Let's talk about kind of like the basics of this car. So what do you get for this price of what fifty seven thousand starting at.
Speaker 8: The yes, now well, including including the fourteen hundred ninety five dollars destination charge, which is mandatorque. You can't get around paying that.
Speaker 7: Wow.
Speaker 8: Base the base model light or wheel drive single motor is fifty six three ninety five and that's two hundred and two and fifteen horse power to fifty eight torque. Then you then move up and they have another single motor called the Light Long Range, and that gets you that three hundred and four driving range. Then you start getting into the all wheel drive models, and those are the ones that have all will drive dual motors. Two hundred and thirty for the Wind, two eighty for the Land Model, and the one that I drove is the GT Line and that's two hundred and seventy miles, but that has the most horse power and power and torque and it's a So when it comes down to which one you're looking for, this is a true family vehicle, and Kia has made a statement that they are going after families, and so you have to make a decision do you want because that is a price bread fifty six three ninety five to seventy five three ninety five, So you have to say, okay, do I want that? Extra horse power and torque when you get into the all will drive once you could tow up to five thousand pounds, So maybe that's the sideration. But if you're just driving around town doing a lot of commuting and such, probably the best one is the light long range where will drive single motor. That's sixty thousand and sixty ninety five and that's your three hundred and four all electric driving range.
Speaker 2: Now, what's this?
Speaker 1: I read in your review that you can pay for boost mode.
Speaker 2: What's that mean?
Speaker 8: Yes, you could pay one time for boost so's it's it's a subscription plan, but this one is a one time payment and what that'll do is that will give you extra power for a short amount of time. Now, you drove the EB six, yes, yes, and remember that had the boost button, so that's what this would be also, but that does not come standard on any of these models. You have to pay extra for that.
Speaker 1: We're starting to see more and more of that where it's like an add on after you purchase it. So the range, Now, because this is such a large vehicle, how does it compare to other evs on the market.
Speaker 8: Well, if you're looking at a if you're if you're looking at a vehicle that weighs in over this, like over five pounds, and it's a gasoline that's probably getting, you know, in the mid twenties, high twenties, you can you can just kind of figure out what it would be. Also, the the the consideration though, obviously with any EV is how far are you going to go? And as soon as you as soon as you load down an EV with people and gear, and then your range is going to drop. And that's that that isn't a mystery to anybody. So it really comes down to how are you going to use this vehicle? If you're going to be doing a lot of driving, then in long distances, then you may want to be going with either a hybrid or a plug in hybrid suv or a pure gasoline model.
Speaker 1: But if you're just driving to and you know, driving the kids to and from school every day, just like you know, general kind of day to day around town kind of stuff, and you have a charger at home, that's really kind of the sweet spot, right well.
Speaker 8: It is, and the and even on a level one one and twenty volt regular outlet at your house, you would still get about forty to fifty miles of range overnight just plugging in for eight nine hours. And but then if you do invest in a Level two UH in your garage at your house, you're gonna you're gonna be putting in all the range you're gonna need. And if you're do need to go to a DC fast charger, that's the beauty of this. That the eight hundred bolt architecture that this vehicle has, you're gonna be able to you can be able to get that. You're gonna be able to get that extremely fast charging which is ten to eighty percent and twenty five minutes, and that's that that that's that's fast. If you're on a road trip, if you're going from here to here to Las Vegas and you need to stop, and again everyone listening, I'm in southern California. So if you're driving California to Las Vegas, you want to stop halfway there, you plug it in and in twenty five minutes, after you've gone and gets over to eat and drink, you're charged up again. You're on your way again. So charging now is really not the issue anymore as far as speed goes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, as long as you find a charger that is you know, is a fast charger from here to Vegas. Like you know, the last time I went for CS they they've even got more chargers than before. I mean, that's that's you know, California is pretty well covered with chargers in places. It's it's when you get outside that it could be trickier. What did you think about the you know, since this is such a large ev what do you think about the ride, the handling, acceleration.
Speaker 8: I'll tell you this, this was so smooth and so quiet, and it's incredibly comfortable. The GT line has twenty one eighth tires on it, but these are these are designed to have load noise and and I mean it was quiet inside. I mean and if you if, if you really think that you need to drownd out any sound, you're going to have that fourteen speaker seven ohndred night Watt Meridian Premium audio system that sounds the best thing you ever heard. So but you don't need that. It is it's really quiet, it's really smooth, The handling is really amazing. Obviously, with all wheel drive, which is the model that I had, you have you have a you have an electronic torque vectoring which basically in simple terms, is it puts a power to the wheel that demands it the most, so you're going around the corner it needs it needs power to the right front wheel or the left rear wherever. Once it does, it automatically seamlessly, the cars just it handles amazingly.
Speaker 2: Well, got about a minute left.
Speaker 1: What is uh?
Speaker 2: What what's the competition for this?
Speaker 1: I'm assuming early competition is sort of like the Rivian that's very expensive. What's the competition a gas car?
Speaker 8: That'd probably be the gas car the So right now, the Model Y has a third row, but there's I wouldn't even put your smallest kid back there. The There are other three row SUVs and Ribbean R one s, the Mercedes Benz eqs, and Balbo has the Ex ninety upcoming. Those are all pure evs, but neither the Ribbean nor then Mercedes has a third row of the same size as this. Plus they're all over the eighty thousand dollars federal tax credit limit. For that you can they should qualify and all of the EV nine's fully loaded to fall under that eighty thousand.
Speaker 1: Range, and that's seventy five dollars credit. It's a little confusing because right now the initial models will will not have that, but eventually they will be eligible.
Speaker 8: That's right, because the first ones that you can buy now are built in Korea. The next ones are gonna be built in Georgia, and that's later this year, so yes, they will Okay.
Speaker 1: John Faulkner of a Cleanfleet Report Cleanfleetreport dot com you can read his review of the twenty twenty four Kia EV nine. I should call it the flash drive because you'll have a full review soon. But this is kind of like your initial impressions and things like that, but it is quite thorough.
Speaker 2: So thanks for being on the show. Appreciate it today.
Speaker 8: Thank you.
Speaker 1: Rich all Right, rich on Tech dot tv if you want to link to that. Coming up, we are gonna do the feedback you have been emailing me all throughout the show. I will share what you're saying coming up when rich on Tech returns. Welcome back to rich on Tech. Rich Demiro here hanging out with you, talking technology the website rich on Tech dot tv. Click the banner at the top if you want links to what I mentioned, and you can follow me on social media. I am at rich on Tech. Let's get through a couple of stories before I get to the feedback segment. Ring is sunsetting its request for assistance tool in the Neighbors app. So this was for law enforcement. If they needed help with an investigation, they could put out a request for assistance to people that may have ring video doorbells in the area and get the video from those doorbells. But of course, with the user permission, they would submit it. But Ring says, you know what, We're not going this direction anymore. Agencies can no longer use request for assistance to obtain videos now they need a warrant. So they're still inviting public safety agencies to post tips, updates, and events in this app. But critics didn't like this. They thought that they turned ring doorbells into too much of a surveillance tool that was unchecked, and so law enforcement now will need a warrant to request video. They could still go door to door and ask for this stuff, but it's not going to be an easy request for assistance tool now inside the Neighbors app. Neighbors is kind of like Rings version of Citizen. New Egg has a new refurbished program so you can buy resale products top pre owned products at competitive prices, Apple products, GPUs abs, gaming PCs, monitors, laptops, tablets, phones, vacuums. It's all part of New Egg Refreshed, and you get a ninety day guarantee with this, so ninety days New Egg refresh if you're looking for refurbished stuff at a cheaper price. US Mobile this is maybe a carrier you haven't heard of, but they have a very competitive plan now if you pay for the whole year in advance, fifteen dollars a month for a ten gigabyte data plan, unlimited talking, text, ten gigabytes of hotspot, and international calling and texting. They even have better plans that are a little bit more, but US Mobile with a really really competitive plan fifteen bucks a month for ten gigs of data, unlimited talk and text, hotspot and international calling. Google has an app called art Selfie two. This uses AI to transform your selfies into over twenty five different historic art styles works inspired by Claude Monet, Johannes Vermiir Renoir, and more. And the cool thing about this not only is it fun to see yourself in these styles, but then you get little facts about the art style you so you're learning while you're having fun with Generative AI. It's basically their secret way of teaching you about art by doing something fun. Art Selfie two is available through the Google Arts and Culture app, So if you're a teacher out there, it's kind of fun get this for your students. Google Arts and Culture. It's available on iOS and androids called art Selfie two.
Speaker 2: It's inside that app.
Speaker 1: If you have a Honda Accord from twenty eighteen to twenty twenty two, you can get a retro fit to get wireless Apple Car Play. They're going to offer this starting late this month in January. You do have to go to the Honda dealership to get this done. It is a software update and it will probably cost something. But if you want to get rid of the cables on your Apple Car Play and you have a twenty eighteen to twenty twenty two Honda Cord, this is going to be an easy way to do that. If you're waiting for that Apple Car to launch, well, it's been pushed back. The car that we've heard so much about, but yet see no evidence that it's coming out twenty twenty eight at the latest. One hundred thousand bucks for this car and it's not going to be as self driving as Apple wanted. Apple. I'm telling you just buy Lucid, solve all your problems. Buy Lucid today. You can have an Apple car tomorrow. And Lucid basically operates like an Apple car. It's about this, It's very similar. It's expensive, it's premium, it's luxurious. It'd be a perfect match. Go ahead, buy Lucid and you could get your Apple car soon. You heard it here first. And finally, T Mobile Tuesday's app it's switching to what's called Tea Life. This rolled out to iOS devices on January twenty fifth. Android release is coming soon. So basically, if you're using the T Mobile Tuesday's app, it is now called Tea Life and it has a whole bunch of other stuff inside the app, so it's like not your account information, but it's like more than just a T Mobile Tuesday's app.
Speaker 2: All right, feed.
Speaker 1: Bag segment Mark says, I'm looking for a device that will mute commercials on TV automatically, so I don't have to grab the remote, hit mute, then not leave the room so I know when to unmute. Is there anything available? Love Your Show on nine to ten am Detroit. I don't know anything that's available to automatically mute commercials. Maybe there is something, but I have not heard of it. Pat says, hey, Rich, I just heard you talking about AI fake images and audio. I have several solutions in order of importance. Number one, people need to stop being so stupid. Number two, who answers a robo call these days? Stupid people? That's who? Well, I mean, you don't know if it has the caller ID number three. Why would appla it campaign think a fake AI robo call would be useful? Because people are stupid? See the problem here proved me wrong. The level of stupidity today is exponentially higher than it was thirty years ago, headed towards idiocracy at an accelerating pace. Pat, Yes, and no, I think that we just have more access to information and things, and it's just, you know, we know more about this stuff. If someone got a fake phone call years ago or saw an image on you know whatever sent to their house, they wouldn't necessarily be able to share it with everyone else. Now it's instant sharing everywhere, so we just know more people that are falling for stuff. Renee says, Hey, we heard you on your show talk about an app that can be put on the phone and control another phone, like adjust the volume, brighten the screen. I didn't catch the name, and I want to look into it. My father in law is constantly putting his phone on mute or darkens the screen. He lives far away, and I can help him a lot instead of calling the police for a welfare check, then they have to fix his phone.
Speaker 2: Really wow, what is the name of this app? The name of the app was Team Viewer.
Speaker 1: Team Viewer. That was the name of the app. Randall says, I have an HP all in one twenty seven inch Windows eleven PC. The RAM is sixteen. I like to process raw files. Is upping my RAM to thirty two gigabytes helpful? The PC will slow down well. Doubling my RAM help absolutely. RAM will help with that. So I think you'll be very happy with doubling that and it's not very expensive to do that. Finally, let's read Steven's email iPhone issue. I got hacked last week. Within three minutes, I lost all my data on my iPhone thirteen. Apple support is useless. A hacker can change my phone number and password and Apple cannot change it back. They say it's a security issue. I was in the middle of a conversation when my phone shut down. Opened it up again, and the message told me I had been locked out. Conversations with Apple Support was a They said nothing they can do. As the day passes, there are more inconveniences to overcome. My Apple idea is worthless and I have zero help. Backstory. I got an email from Apple Support inform me I was charged thirty dollars. I checked there was no such charge. I clicked here, being busy, I received the email. I thought nothing of it. Three minutes later, I was locked out. With as careful as I've always been, I got sucker punched. Yes, this is a huge issue. You were fished and they do this all the time. Twenty four to seven. Please be careful and like I said with my taxi story, when you're doing things fast and hastily, that's when you fall victim to this stuff. Steve and I feel for you. Believe me, sorry that happened to you. If you can believe it, that's going to do it. For this episode of the show, you can find links to everything I mentioned. Just go to richon tech dot TV. Find me on social media at rich on tech next week we'll talk about the Apple Vision Pro which is launching. Thanks so much for listening. There are so many ways you can spend your time. I do appreciate you spending it right here with me. My name is rich Dimiro. I will talk to you real soon