Speaker 1: For tonight's soundtrack.
Speaker 2: How about a little Crosbie bills in cash, not like Buffalo bills. He's still on the Raiders, but that joke sounded better in my head. Bottom line, Max Crosby's not leaving Las Vegas. Will break down how this deal got done, squashing some very real trade interest. The Seahawks said goodbye to one veteran wide receiver today and another could be the next out the door. We will tell you why DK Metcalf requested a trade now while the Seahawks will listen, and who could be in the mix for the two time Pro Bowl pick. Tonight's guest actually dr comparisons to DK with his explosive combine performance last week.
Speaker 1: I can jump like that.
Speaker 2: But the South Carolina safety nick Emon Warri also have a future as the next two way star. His answer might surprise you. Welcome inside with the Insiders along Judy Batista and Ian Rappaport.
Speaker 1: I am Tom Pelaicero. We still do.
Speaker 2: I am told have five days until the free agent negotiating window officially opens, but it felt today like we are already off and running. This was a massive news day around the NFL, as evidenced by all the social posts from us among others. We had a dk Metcalf trade request. The Seahawks are gonna explore their options. We got a Zach Bond deal, we got Max Crosby extended, Christian Kirk's gonna have a new home soon. We're gonna get to all this, the Joe Toney trade as well. But let's start out in Las Vegas, where the Raiders did sign up their superstar pass rusher, Max Crosby. It is a three year, one hundred and six point five million dollar extension, including ninety one point five million guaranteed. The thirty five point five million dollar year average in new money makes him the highest paid non quarterback in NFL history, at least for now.
Speaker 1: When I say at least for now.
Speaker 2: Because there are a bunch of other players cleaning a couple of NS rushers, including Jamar Chase, who are probably going to be leap frogging.
Speaker 1: This in the not too distant future.
Speaker 2: Max Crosby had this to say about sticking with the team he loves.
Speaker 3: It's been an absolute blessing in so many ways. My family, obviously my wife and my daughter here today. The sacrifice, the ups and downs, the five ams. The NonStop commitment to excellence on a daily basis is what this is all about. So I have so many teammates, I could think, I have so many coaches. I could think I have so many people in general I can thank, including these two guys right here believing in me and giving me this extension. But now I'm just worried and and focused on being the best version of myself every single day and giving them everything I got.
Speaker 4: To.
Speaker 2: Max Crosby had two years left on his prior deal, and there's a lot of times where we talk about Ian players who have two years left. Take one Barkley yesterday, where it's a big deal, but it's not a big deal within the context of It's not like Saquon was going anywhere. The difference with Max Crosby is he has given everything to that organization. He has played hurt, he has been through, however, many front office and coaching changes. There were other teams hovered around this that if this went sideways with the Raiders, there was going to be real interest, real offers for Max Crosby. In the end, how did the Raiders get this done and keep the face of their franchise in Vegas?
Speaker 5: This really rammed up at the NFL scouting combine. And you're right, this is not a free agent deal. Usually this time when you were talking about free agent deals. This is not that this is a player under contract that many many other teams hope would eventually somehow shake free, not as a free agent, but in a trade. And to be sure, Max Crosby had his eyes wide open. Wanted to know that the Raiders had a plan, wanted to see proof that this was going to work. You saw those two guys. He was sitting next to Pete Carolyn John spy Tech. He's actually done that a couple different times, a couple different coaches, a couple of different general managers. He has been through it. He has been a soldier through all of it. He has been a worker, he has done everything. He has just wanted to know that this thing was head in the right direction and then he would be properly compensated for his efforts as one of the best edge rushers in the NFL. And so the Raiders came to play. They did it decisively, they did it early. He gets a deal that is thirty five point five million dollars on its average duty, and the fact that it resets the edge market. He's the highest paid non quarterback in the NFL. It's great news for all the edge guys who are trying to get new deals. And you know that everyone in this locker room who's kind of wondering about this new Raiders regime got a big time message today, right.
Speaker 6: I thought this was significant beyond the fact that Max Crossbey got paid and he certainly has earned all of it and will earn.
Speaker 1: More of it.
Speaker 6: This was significant because of what it said about Max Crosby's belief in the direction of the franchise. Everybody was wondering if he was going to want to stick around there to be part of another rebuild. He has been there through an awful lot of upheaval and uncertainty, and John Spytek said something today about they want that to build a place that players want to be. Well, this is a big signal that this might be a place that players want to be, that Max Crosby wants to be there. It is really an important signal, not just within their own locker room, but to other players around the league who will eventually be free agents, who are maybe free agents in the next few days that this is a place where good things are happening. A guy like Max Crosby, as talented a player, as driven a player as Max Crosby believes they are headed in the right direction. Really important and obviously a really important contract for all of the Ed rushers who are also looking for deals this offseason.
Speaker 1: Of course money talks and free agency.
Speaker 2: So just got one very powerful recruiter who has never been shy about talking to other players about potentially joining him. I Meanwhile, Miles Garrett somewhere watching that contract come in, knowing that one way or another he's going to get a deal, missed his trade request in Cleveland. Add another player to the list of trade requests this offseason. As ED and I reported earlier today, Dk Metcalf met with the Seahawks early today. This has been an ongoing discussion for weeks, if not months. Metcalf now officially requesting a trade, and we are told these Seahawks have told Metcalf they're agreeing to explore their options right now. DK has one year left on his contract at about eighteen million dollars IAN. He is easily in a year where there's not a lot in terms of free agent wide receivers, Especially with T Higgins getting tagged, there's not a lot in terms of top and wide receivers in the draft. DK, at twenty seven years old now is clearly the top available wide receiver. There is going to be significant interest here. It probably has to come with a contract, not just for DK, but for a new team that's going to have to make the type of offer that Seattle is still going to want to let this guy go.
Speaker 7: Yeah, and you're right.
Speaker 5: I mean, if you're a new team acquiring DK Metcalf just twenty seven years old, but you're going to want to know if you do a trade, you want to have him beyond that. So I would imagine the trade would be all encompassing, either immediately or surely thereafter. But you're right, DK Metcalf. I met with the Seahawks right after the last game of the season. Sounded like there was a pretty open ended conversation. Both sides agreed to talk more. Those talks ramped up over the last couple of days, and I think for Seattle to even be willing to part with DK Metcalf, they have to know this he is the best receiver available. I mean, you're right, looking at the free agent list, you have several really good receivers though Devonte Adams, you have Chris Godwin, you have Darius Layton, you have keen it Out.
Speaker 7: All older, still really good, but all older.
Speaker 5: I would say Josh Palmer probably is like the best young receiver is going to have a really good market. There's just not a lot of these guys available, So some of these numbers people are going to be I can't believe it. There's just teams are dying for receivers. As far as who might be interested, I would say the Chargers of Sanji Lao's old receivers coach will probably be interested. Texas would be one, Patriots would be another. There's several teams, many teams, the Las Vegas Raiders who have his old coach, Pete Carroll. A lot of teams going to be interested in DK Metcalf.
Speaker 6: I remember last season in Seattle they started to they were not using DK metcalf as heavily. They were not going to him as often as they had in the past. But this is still a two time Pro Bowl receiver and as you're pointed out, still under thirty, very much in the prime years of his career. He will have plenty of teams at least making a phone call to see what it would take to pry him loose from Seattle. It certainly seems like Seattle is prepared to turn the page now if they're prepared to trade him, And they also released Tyler Lockett today, so they're going younger in Seattle. It's going to be interesting to see where DK ends up, because, as you pointed out, he is certainly now the best receiver available in a year where there's just not top end talent on the receiver market, and certainly not in the draft in particular. So if you're one of the teams like the Chargers, like the Packers, there are so many teams. As soon as this became public today the trade request, everybody online was saying, WHOA all of the teams that could use him? So many teams need a top end wide receiver. He will certainly have a market. It's going to be interesting to see where he lands.
Speaker 2: Tyler Lockett, by the way, that release, had been pretty evident that was coming for several weeks. Now he had a big number. He's getting toward the later stage of his career. I would say I wouldn't entirely slam the door on Tyler Lockett eventually returning to Seattle.
Speaker 1: This gives him the opportunity gets a head start.
Speaker 2: He was on the wire today, so he can sign immediately, just like DeVante Adams getting cut loose by the Jets. And as for DK Metcalf in the same offseason where Deebo Samuel, a fellow member of the same draft class, got traded, DK could end up being the next one. Ay J Brown, also in the second round of that same draft. He's not going anywhere from Philadelphia, and either is Zach Bonn. The Eagles working out a deal today three years, fifty one million dollars, getting that linebacker market back on track and keeping Bond off the open market. Judy, he was one of the best values in the NFL a year ago on essentially a one year, five million dollar contract. He was a priority for Philadelphia. How did they get this one done?
Speaker 6: Well, don't forget Philadelphia has a number of free agents, or had a number of free agents to be on the defensive side of the ball in particular, and Howie Ersman has been clear they're not going to be able to keep everybody. This was the priority though he was a difference maker. We go back to last year's off season. He comes in for a really small contract, at first thinking he would be a special team contributor. Then Vic Fangio said, Hm, let's see what he can do at this position, and he flourished an all Pro season. This is part of what Philadelphia has been doing this week, right, great player, Let's reward them for what they've done and keep them really, really happy. Zach Bahm will be there. They have more free agents, but Zachbahm was the parody because they just don't have as much depth at that position behind him as they do some of the linemen.
Speaker 2: A very wild newsday began this morning when the Kansas City Chiefs agreed to trade their three time Pro Bowl guard Joe Tooney to the Chicago Bears. It is for a twenty twenty six fourth round pick. Ian Tooney was due a big number in the last year of his contract. Chiefs not really in position at this point to extend a thirty two year old guard.
Speaker 1: They love Joe Tooney.
Speaker 2: He gets a big opportunity in Chicago, where they're obviously putting a lot into trying to build that protection you did in front of Caleb Williams.
Speaker 8: Oh yeah.
Speaker 5: So much about the Chicago Bears have done over the last week has been to solidify everybody in front of Caleb Williams, the trader for Jonah Jackson, who obviously did not work out with the Rams, but it has been in the same system and has thrived. And then Joe Tooney comes in today in a blockbuster trade. Rarely do all pros get traded a couple of days before free agency.
Speaker 7: That is a situation for Joe Tooney.
Speaker 5: My understanding is that have not had conversations yet on a new contract. You would think that the Bears would would want to lock him in, but it was just simply do the trade and then move on from there. And look, if you're the Kansas City Chiefs, you're right. I mean they have Trey Smith, they have Creed Humphrey, both those guys huge numbers. They're gonna move Kingsley Suwamatia to guard. They basically said, we love Joe Toney, just can't pay him.
Speaker 7: They move on from get a draft pick, get a little younger.
Speaker 5: Reminds me of what they did for Tyreek Hill. He's a great player, but probably don't need to pay him a third time, as far as Kansas City is concerned.
Speaker 1: Freees up a lot of cap in cash resources.
Speaker 2: As Kansas City, after another very good season that ended in a resounding defeat to the Eagles, once again try to reinvent themselves a little bit. They're not reinventing things down in Dallas, so they do have a new coaching staff, same quarterback Zak Prescott, who has restructured his contract, freeing up close to thirty seven million dollars in cap space for this season. Here is your annual reminder. This is not a pay cut. Dak is making every single dime that's actually advantageous for the player.
Speaker 1: You get it in a lump sum signing bonus. Instead, the team can.
Speaker 2: Pro rate it as an accounting mechanism to free up short term cap space. But every doll you spend hits the cap eventually, and this is going to push Deck's cap number for next year close to one hundred million dollars. The Brown's looking for their next quarterback and maybe some other players who can help them. They had three of the top prospects, Abdul Carter, Travis Hunter, and Shdor Sanders all visiting the building today. Cam Warden not on that list, but they are going to host him as well. Several teams getting a jumpstart on these visits, and the Browns sitting up there at the top of the draft number two overall, behind only the Titans, certainly getting out ahead of things. Charles Davis with his latest mock draft is first one of this cycle. And how about that this is the first one I've seen. Okay, there's a lot of mocks out there. I haven't seen quarterback one at two three. He's got Sintur to the Titans, cam Ward to the Browns, and Jackson Dart to the Giants. Start certainly try to take advantage of his opportunity the top quarterback, along with the likes of Queen Ewers and Jaln Milroe, who threw at the scouting commic, could e vault all the way up until the top three picks in this draft. Fifty days to the NFL Draft, or you're if you're as fast as nick Emon worry.
Speaker 1: Maybe like forty nine days.
Speaker 8: What do you know?
Speaker 2: Nick also quick enough to get onto this show. Welcome back to the insiders, Tom Pelicero and Ian Rappaport. Here, nick I would say that there's no better comp when you get you hear him talk about Derwin James there. But in terms of your numbers, your measurables, the one that I saw you side by side with is DK metcalf. That's a pretty rare dude, that's a pretty good one. Did you know going into the combine you were going to test like that? And how do you feel coming out of it?
Speaker 8: Oh?
Speaker 9: Yeah, yeah, yeah, that's that's a great comparison to be compared to. And going into the combine, I didn't know I was gonna tests like that. I was pretty confident by my numbers the night before I wrote down on a whiteboard my forty time is going to be my vertical and my brads. I was pretty confident waking up and going into it.
Speaker 7: Wait, so you so this for us?
Speaker 5: This was kind of like not a surprise, but certainly eye opening for you. I mean, considering like the numbers you rude in your whiteboard, I mean, was it was it the same where you sort of like, all right, well I ran and jumped to what I thought, no big deal.
Speaker 8: Yeah, yeah, there you go.
Speaker 9: So my yeah, my vertical I was specing like either forty one, forty three, my broad I was specting eleven five for sure. In my forty I was going for four three year olds or four to five, So four three five.
Speaker 8: Sorry, yeah, so.
Speaker 10: Not that.
Speaker 2: You know, sometimes when we watch, especially like the forty yard Dash, it it's kind of hard to tell. Like, I know you're fatts, I know a lot of guys there are fasts. What I love is when they do the overlays of guys from years past at the COMMNE with the current players. They compared you to guys like Ceedee Lamb, Justin Jefferson, George Pickens, and you're absolutely blowing these guys out of the water. See in your mind, what does that say about your ability to be matched up? You see overlay by the way, look at you pull it away from them right here. What does it say about your ability to match up with whoever you're seeing on the other side when you get to the NFL.
Speaker 9: Oh yeah, I'm pretty I'm insanely confident in my speed, so I think I can match up and line up anyone in the field. Of course, you know, it's more than just running, So those guys are insanely talented.
Speaker 8: But I think I.
Speaker 9: Believe my own ability to line up and run with those guys that match up.
Speaker 7: So I'm curious about how you match up with guys.
Speaker 5: Do you if I'm like, you're obviously a big dude, big for a safety, would be really big for a corner I think, if I'm not mistaken, came into South Carolina as a as a linebacker. Maybe why why and how did you settle on safety as your position rather than I guess either one of the others.
Speaker 9: H Yeah, coming to South Carolina is kind of quote what my position was going to be. But I always know I was a safety, or at least at the defensive back. I grew up playing cornerback and I just grew into my bigger body. So when I went up to South Carolina that asked me what I wanted to play, I told them I want to play defensive back, and that's just really what it was. So I got confidence in my bulty. I know I'm a bigger dude than usual, but I moved like a cornerback size of a linebacker.
Speaker 2: So you like natural right there with the ball in your hands coming off that pick. And we talked so much about Travis Hunter is going to play two ways and stuff. Would you ever go to the coaches and be like, you know, I think I got like, give me five ten routes in the game.
Speaker 1: I think I could win some of these.
Speaker 9: Yeah, of course there's a little special package for me in there. You know, I play a little receiver, red zones out ball. I feel pretty confident about coming out with that.
Speaker 8: You know.
Speaker 5: One of the things Daniel Jeremiah, our colleague, was saying on the Combine was you start to wonder why teams like South Carolina did so well this year.
Speaker 7: It's because they got a.
Speaker 5: Lot of dudes at the Combine and a lot of guys that are really fast. What did you see from some of your other teammates at the combat What was just year like under Shane Beemer at South Carolina.
Speaker 9: Oh, yeah, we had a great season, and I think we sent eleven dudes for the Combine.
Speaker 8: So this is like a school record.
Speaker 9: So it just shows what type of season we had and what type of dudes we had in our team. Man, the locker room was still with a bunch of athletic dudes. We got Nick Harbor, Uh, he's six 'y five runs, he's a track sprinner. Dylan Stewart six' six it's built like a. Superhero so we had a bunch of athletic dudes in the building AND i just sold with type of team at this year and we went to have told a lot of.
Speaker 11: Teams so.
Speaker 2: Now you have an older brother who played at several different college. Programs he was IN dB. Two in our research shoes it says he's five nine. Two i'm very curious where did the extra six inches come? From and at what age do you realize this guy's got no chance to beat?
Speaker 8: Me?
Speaker 9: Yeah, man my brother he's about like five, Ten but, uh he kind of taught me EVERYTHING i.
Speaker 8: Know so look at.
Speaker 9: Him, man he's the reason Why i'm a. Grinder he tied me out to PLAY. dB he was MY dB coach for all my life UNTIL i really got to. College AND i think it was it was maybe my senior in high school WHEN i do.
Speaker 8: Like, yeah you, KNOW i don't think he beat me and. Anything, now so.
Speaker 5: You go to the, combine you run really, fast you jump really, high and obviously become a big topic that a lot of us and then a lot of teams you're talking about it was a good. Week you now go into a fifty days or so of. Uncertainty where do you think you're going to go in the twenty twenty FIVE nfl?
Speaker 8: DRAFTS a tough, question.
Speaker 9: Man i've been talking to a lot of, teams had a lot of great, interviews and, honestly, man whatever team drafts me, First i'll be. Blessed Hopefully i'm blessed enough to go in the first. Round BUT i Think i'm one of the best defensive players in his, draft regardless of position, offense, defense, safety, linebacker. Cornerback SO i, think you, know if teams looking at, DRAFT i think they should should just go best of a. Player i'm a difference make on the. Defense i'm coming to change the defense for.
Speaker 2: Sure So, nick best of, Luck, man thanks for the.
Speaker 1: Time make sure you have a frequent flyer.
Speaker 2: MILE i have a feeling you've got a few trips around the country coming up.
Speaker 1: Here we appreciate your, time, man good.
Speaker 8: Luck thank, you SO i appreciate. It bang, You.
Speaker 1: Nick em And.
Speaker 2: Warri you'll hear his name called end Of april, here that Guy Jackson dart's name called as. Well who are some of the guys that had really helped themselves at the twenty twenty five combine and how do the impact Lands zerline's mock. Draft lance will join us right after this to talk about it on The. INSIDERS nfl dot com is your place for seventeen mock drafts every day until the draft officially kicks off next. Month that number is an. Estimate Landser, LINE i can tell you does have his second mock up right, now and among many interesting, notes he's Got Shadoor sanders sliding quite a ways down the, board all the way outside of the top twenty. Five take a look right here at the top ten For. Atlance it includes some familiar names up there at the, top Including Abdul carter going to The, Titans Travis hunter to The, Browns camord to The. Giants let's break down though a lot of things about this, draft but also including one name you're not seeing there Because lance is with us right now on The insiders with Me Tom piliicero as well as he In. Rapaport all, Right, Lance Chador. Sanders he is a polarizing prospect within the, league much less to say on the. Outside, here breakdown for me why you Have chador.
Speaker 1: Sliding to the point that he did in this last mind.
Speaker 12: Well you, KNOW i Mean mike grade hasn't changed on to. Him by watching, tape it's. Good it's not, great but it's good. TAPE i think he's a STARTING nfl. Quarterback but really what it was, was you, know it's a matter of people are slotting him right now with teams with quarterback.
Speaker 11: Needs but the reality is we saw just a couple of years ago With Kenny.
Speaker 12: Pickett he was the only first round quarterback that we saw and everyone else was in the third, round and there had been discussions there was an expectation That Malik willis would be a first.
Speaker 11: Rounder, WELL i think what we're going to have.
Speaker 12: Now make no, mistake Schandor sanders tape is much better Than Malik willis's final year At. Liberty BUT i will say, this coming out of the combine and TALKING nfl, TEAMS i began to realize that they're really just sticking with the. TAPE i, mean, yes there's some concerns about what they have to deal with With Dion, sanders and you, know is that going to be an?
Speaker 13: Issue but for the most, Part i'm just believed that if teams don't believe that he's a guy that can lead them to conference, CHAMPIONSHIPS i think they may pass because you, know the defensive line talent is so good in this, draft AND.
Speaker 12: I think that could be something that causes him to. Fall there are some good spots for him to. Land eighteen At seattle would make some. Sense twenty one to The Pittsburgh. STEELERS i Had cleveland trading back up into the first and getting them because with the first, pick they Took Travis. Hunter and in my, mind AND i think that would be a great combination Of.
Speaker 11: Shador we're to Have cleveland come back into the.
Speaker 12: Draft and pick, him you, know and grab him after grabbing a player Of Travis hunter's, STATURE i think it would be fantastic for his confidence and for his ability as a future starting quarterback over there With, cleveland provided That cleveland Played Travis hunter on the offensive side of the.
Speaker 5: Ball, Actually lance kind of reminds me of what The Baltimore ravens did With Lamar, jackson taking a player in front of, him trading back into the first round and getting him and then, YadA, YadA.
Speaker 7: YadA now he's THE.
Speaker 5: Mvp talk to me About tetuo, McMillan t mac as they, say the number one receiver for several experts much like. Yourself he is all the way at number five talking me through that.
Speaker 12: One, yeah you know that one's a little trickier because it doesn't match up necessarily with my. GRADE i think his grade is more like a back half of the. First but you, know the twenty three tapes a little better than twenty. Four he had a foot ish you that slowed them.
Speaker 11: Down early in the.
Speaker 12: Season phenomenal ball skills as we'll see on all the highlights.
Speaker 11: HERE i, mean just.
Speaker 12: Unreal you know WHAT i did, Here ian WAS i tried to get inside the mind Of. Jacksonville they just got done Pain Trevor lawrence a ton of. Money they're going to live and die the entire organization With Trevor lawrence's. Success and so WHAT i tried to do here is is emulate what The bengals have. Done they Have chase And, higgins AND i took A chase type With Brian thomas who's already on the, roster AND i paired him with A higgins type And ted, McMillan And i'm basically giving them an opportunity to Give Trevor lawrence everything he needs at the skill.
Speaker 11: Position with that, SPOT i think it has a real chance of happening.
Speaker 2: Too ashton gent might be the most unique skill spot guy in terms of the, runners the, receivers the tight ends in this. Draft how, high, though do you have him going?
Speaker 12: Here, Lance, well you Know i've had him as high as in my FIRST moca had The jets at.
Speaker 11: Seven then NOW i have The Dallas cowboys in this.
Speaker 12: One you, know it's tough BECAUSE i think he might be the best pure player in this tire. Draft now we know running backs don't get drafted, first, second or third, typically but we did See Bijon robinson move way up the draft.
Speaker 11: BOARD i think That Ashton gents.
Speaker 12: Is a better pure player than The, bijon certainly on the same, level but he is a really special. BACK i think what we're seeing after this great running back draft as well or great running back, SEASON i should, say is teams may recognize effect that you can grab five years with the running, back plus one with the, franchise plus another one with another, franchise and have running backs for seven, years and this idea that they don't have value in the first.
Speaker 11: ROUND i disagree strongly with.
Speaker 12: That if you can get a really special back in the first, round and.
Speaker 11: Get seven years out of that.
Speaker 12: Back that is tremendous value considering what we saw running backs do in the league this.
Speaker 5: Year, well, yeah and some, TEAMS i don't, know The philadelphia egos are signing them and extending him and doing all sorts of things to give them money and reward. Them the time of the running back certainly is upon. Us what About Will, johnson the corner From michigan at twenty, One we went into that.
Speaker 12: One, well so this is really purely and you guys know. THIS nfl teams want to see cornerbacks run like he's gonna have to.
Speaker 11: Run he didn't run at the.
Speaker 12: Combine he you, know he missed a chunk of the season with a turf.
Speaker 11: TOE i expected that to be.
Speaker 12: Better he may not be at as fast as, SPEED i understand, it but speed is going to be really important unless you, know if you don't, run teams are going to, Assume, okay this guy with great ball, skills great, instincts but we're gonna have to play on his own because we don't know if he can. Run you, know until we get him on the, field we don't know if he can run and cover AGAINST nfl.
Speaker 11: Speed so UNTIL i see a forty. TIME i really can't push him all the way up there WHERE.
Speaker 12: I have him great and BECAUSE i think teams will be a little bit concerned with the speed until he proves.
Speaker 7: It thank You lance very, much. Inc that was me a lot going.
Speaker 5: ON i apologize as free agent, Friends i'm getting a million. Texts this is what the show is going to be for the next week or. So, lance thank you very much for joining.
Speaker 6: Us Caleb williams with the first overall draft pick just about a year, ago and he certainly showed flashes in his rookie season of what The bears think they got in their future franchise.
Speaker 1: Quarterback they hope he's going to be the franchise.
Speaker 6: Quarterback, also what they got was a whole lot of, sacks sixty eight sacks that led the. League and it tos you an awful lot about what The bears are probably focusing on this off. Season and to talk more about, that we've Got Jeffrey chidia And Brian. Baldinger jeffrey has a story a column nfl dot com slash shadea on teams that need to make a splash in the upcoming free agency. Period so let's start it off with The Chicago.
Speaker 10: Bears, yeah the no brainer of the bunch, Here, judy you're talking about a team that has to get better at the offensive line and already has done so in trading For Joe touney And Jonah, jackson two guards. There they need to find a center because all three of their interior alignment are, leaving and there's some good candidates out, there like The Falcons Drew. Dollman but they have to find a way to better Protect Caleb. Williams they have the money to do at about seventy nine million dollars in cap. Space but on a defensive line as Well Montes, sweats they're only proven pass.
Speaker 8: Rusher he had five and a half.
Speaker 10: Sacks they got to find a, Way baldy to get more pressure to go on that.
Speaker 8: Front so the trenches are big. HERE i could agree with you.
Speaker 1: More.
Speaker 14: Jeff you, know the signing Of Joe tooney is. HUGE i, mean this is he just played his ninth. YEAR i don't know if he's missed a game in nine. Years he's played twenty one postseason. Games he brings a ton of experience to that huddle and to that. Team so they're they're gotten better, already AND i. AGREE i, Mean caleb left the pocket way too, early way too, frequently and it was hit too. Often so they identified the. Quarterback Ben johnson knows this coming From. Detroit you never stop building around your, quarterback and it always starts up front and then you can just reverse it and add to. It we saw as soon As Aiden hutchinson went down In detroit last year that defense went. Backwards SO i believe that you, know they're going to really concentrate on the, trenches and there's some good free agents with money that they had to spend to upgrade the it Was areas.
Speaker 6: All. Right next up on the list Of Cincinnati. Bengals they made some news earlier this week when they put the franchise tech again on receiver T.
Speaker 1: Higgins what are their, priorities.
Speaker 8: Well finding a way to keep their stars in.
Speaker 10: HOUSE i know that T higgins is the big one, here and they've got to find a way to work out long term deals With Jamar chase And trey hendricksonmil they're still under. Contract but, again if they can find a way to keep these, guys that's a huge boost of their.
Speaker 8: Team but they also need to find defensive help.
Speaker 10: Here they have a lot of issues on that side of the football rate twenty but in the league in yards allowed and, scoring but really keeping those guys in the, house not making the splashing, moves but keeping that core together baldly means they can still be A champions of contender moving.
Speaker 14: Forward And Sam hubber just retired, Today, Jeff, SO i mean they're starting left nd Hopposite Trey. Henderson over the last you, know five years has. Gone BUT i, mean, Look Trey henderson for the second year in a, row had a seventeen and a half. Sacks he's under contract this. Year the rest of the defensive line only had fifteen. Sacks so they've got upgrade At Sam hubbard spot. INSIDE i remember a game last, Year week two Against Kansas. City at the end of the game they had two healthy defensive. Tackles it was an issue all. Year they need to address. That they let Lou anarumo. Go he's a heck of a defensive. Coordinator Al golden comes. In he's Coaching, cincinnati but they got upgrade to talent For Al golden at defense.
Speaker 8: Right, now.
Speaker 6: All, right The washington commanders have already made a big move this. Offseason they Got Deebo, Samuel what else are they going to?
Speaker 2: Do Jeffrey, WELL i.
Speaker 10: Can't imagine A gm who feels better about life right now Than Adam. Peters when you've Got Jane daniels and you come into the off season with eighty two million dollars in cap space and you had that big move did the trade For Deebo samiel was tremendous and adding another weapon For daniels and taking some pressure Off terry.
Speaker 8: McLaurin BUT i want to see them do some stuff on.
Speaker 10: Defense you're talking About Cleveland farrell leaving and free, Agency Dante fower leaving a free. Agency they Gave Jonathan Taylor jonathan excuse, Me Jonathan allen permission to seek a, trade and so they got to find some help as far as rushing the, passer AND i think they will do.
Speaker 8: That they'll be aggressive on.
Speaker 10: That From, balder they also got some big free agents Like Bobby wagner And Zach urge to, resign so that money can be used a lot of different ways.
Speaker 11: HERE i, AGREE i.
Speaker 14: AGREE i think Av peters did a great job last year of restructuring the. Team they had five starters from free. Agency on, offense they had eight guys that really contributed on, defense not counting the trade For Marshawn lottimore during the. Season BUT i, mean, Look Frankie louvio was a great. Signing Bobby wagner gave him. Leadership they can continue with the money that they have to really hit the key. Spots then they can, continue especially with the, quarterbacks ability to continue to grow this team and make this team even more competitive than when we saw in the postseason a year.
Speaker 6: Ago All, Right Jim harbaugh got The chargers back to the playoffs in his first year as a head.
Speaker 1: Coach there where do they go this?
Speaker 10: Offseason well he did that by also dumping a ton of a ton of. Salary you, know they had over fifty million dollars, worth fifty million dollars over the cap when he got, there and they found a way to get get rid Of Keyan allen And Mike williams And Austin. Eckler and now they're coming into this season with sixty one million dollars to work, with and we all know what they have to.
Speaker 4: Do.
Speaker 10: Offensively they have to find more weapons For Justin herbert to throw the football. Too lad McCaughey was great as a, rookie but those outside spots are wide. Open you, Know Chris godwin is a guy that could make sense That Tampa bay doesn't resign.
Speaker 8: Him you're also talking About Darius.
Speaker 10: Slayton not a great receiver market, here but even A cooper cup on a trade they can work out a deal with his salary could make. Sense but they got to find another weapon For Justin herbert, Here, Baldy.
Speaker 14: Jeffy DID i Hear Jim harball say this week That Justin herbert is the greatest quarterback he's ever?
Speaker 11: SEEN i, mean DID i hear that?
Speaker 8: Right because it does time, THEN.
Speaker 14: I you, KNOW i want to believe everything That jim, said but that's what he. Said so go Help Justin herbert. Out he was terrible in the playoff, game but he didn't get a lot of help around. Him this, Guy laddy mcconcue's old world as a, rookie but go get yourself. Bored guys Named lad or lad d or whatever they call, it right, now give him some. Help Joe walt was a huge addition in the draft last. Year they can certainly look at the offensive line to continue to build that, up AND i think they need help at the defensive tackle, position AND i wouldn't be surprised to see them hit free agency and had a body or two in.
Speaker 6: There all, right stay Out west for the last. One The Denver, broncos what do they need to, Do Jeffrey.
Speaker 10: Again another team that did a great job of managing the cap and getting out of some debt problems with The Russell wilson. Contract they've got about forty one million dollars to work with. Here and just as The, chargers those offensive skill, positions putting more people around Bow, nicks especially at the running back, spot Whereas John payton would love to find a joker type running back that you had With Alvin kamara with The saints who can do a lot of running and receiving tight didn't got to get better Than buckley at running back is not that. Strong but there's some guys who could make, sense like A. Jk dobbins Or Nasia, harris even The kenneth Gain. Well SO i think, again they've got SOME i need to spend and they can do well by themselves because that defense they're going to be. Extending nicknito at some point and Even Portland sutton is coming up here for an.
Speaker 8: Extension but they're in.
Speaker 10: Good shape up they can get more People baldy around, Though, NICKS i.
Speaker 14: AGREE i, Agree and it was a great coaching job By Sean payton on a team that had limited draft picks and limited resources to, spend but we saw the development of the quarterback and so that's. HUGE i think they need a tight, end whether it's through the draft or free, agency because just Knowing Sean, payton the guy is ben niacal about red zone offense and he's always had, great big tight ends where sometimes you just throwed up on the rim and let him go get it. Now court And sutton did a little bit of that last. Year BUT i feel like that's a position of need in this offense right, now.
Speaker 6: All, right starting next, week we will see if these teams are following your. Advice, jeffrey thank you for joining. Us, baldy thank you, also and don't forget you can read more About JEFFRIES colmnfl dot. Com slash chadea.
Speaker 5: One of the top safeties in THE, Nfl Javon holland still available when The Miami dolphins did not use the franchise tag on. Him if only there was someone to talk to who may or may not have a podcast With Javon holland to give me some insight into The Miami. Dolphins this guy and thereforet Oh, kim, well thank you very much for joining. Us as, always let's talk about not just your podcast, partner but also his, team The Miami. Dolphins they Got Bradley chubb locked in on a, deal kind of reduced his salar and made sure he. Stayed that happened. Today now they got to face some uncertainty in free. Agency what are they gonna?
Speaker 4: Do, well we're not going to break any house rules, here but let's start With Johann, holland who you just. Mentioned Javon holland is expected to reach free. Agency The dolphins do have, interest but from WHAT i, understand he's going to have a very fruitful market talking to people In india and even through the last few, days he's expected to eclipse fifteen million dollars a year and maybe even close to twenty million dollars a, year and that may be something that's a little rich for The dolphins'. Blood so you, know we'll keep an eye on how that evolves in the days, ahead but a couple of, teams The, titans The PANTHERS i, heard are in the mix potentially for, Him and so if he does indeed, leave that would leave The dolphins trying to find potentially two new safeties to replace in that realm Of Jordan poyter is also a free agent not expected to return at this, stage so.
Speaker 11: That's one thing for.
Speaker 4: Them the other big headline for them this offseason Is Tyreek, hill and we learned a week or two ago That Tyreek kill is having off season surgery on his wrists and expected to miss most of the off, season and so talking to people By tyreek along with this, surgery it seems more likely than not he's headed to being on the team in twenty twenty. FIVE i know that was a bit a question mark for a little. Bit for The, dolphins this offseason is going to be similar to last, year trying to find value free. Agents they hit On Aaron, brewer they hit On Kalais, campbell they hit On Jordan.
Speaker 7: Brooks they need those type mid level.
Speaker 4: And smaller signings because they don't have a lot of salary cat space to. Spend but the main position group is going to be their offensive, line trying to get it, back trying to run the ball, better trying to Protect tua and Toront armstead is the one key decision that they were waiting. For at this, point they're not planning for him to be. Back he's going to make a decision in the coming weeks on his, position but they're planning for him as if he will retire And Patrick paul their second round pick from last. Year they're prepping him to be that left. Tackle got a chance to talk to him a few weeks. Ago he said he shedded about ten pounds and ready to be that starting left.
Speaker 1: Tackle, well let's stay in the.
Speaker 5: Division talking about a team that really didn't do very much in free agency last year at.
Speaker 7: All last year The Buffalo, bills all.
Speaker 5: They did was shed, money getting ready for a rebuilding, year and they rebuilt in lightning. Speed they got a lot of priorities locking In Josh allen to a new. Contract potentially you got a couple Other James cooks could he get in a new. Deal what are The Buffalo bills priorities in free?
Speaker 11: Agency?
Speaker 7: Ye hit on the.
Speaker 4: Money they're definitely in a lot better cap situation With Brandon bean than they were last, year and so a key for them is what can we do that one or two pieces to get us over the, top to get us past The chiefs and into The Super. Bowl AND i think today was a very interesting day for The Buffalo. Bills they have been sneaking around kind of looking into the receiver, market trying to.
Speaker 7: Find that value guy to add.
Speaker 4: In and then you have a bunch of guys that become available, today whether it be A Christian, kirk whether it BE Dk metcalf requesting the, Trade Devontae adams Already Cooper cup available for. TRADE a couple of those guys make a lot of sense For. Buffalo And i'll start WITH. Dk talking to The bills general Manager Brandon bean and the. Combine they really want that vertical threat to be able to stretch the fiel For Josh, allen AND dk certainly fits.
Speaker 11: That now he'll certainly.
Speaker 4: Be the most expensive given the trade and the contract of those. Options but maybe The bills if they have one more push push for a guy like. Him, Also Christian, kirk who was released By jacksonville or will be released in the day From. Jacksonville he actually has a really good relationship With Josh, allen such a good relationship that he was at his bachelor party this week And Palm Beach gardens AT, tgl the golf league That Tiger woods And rory McElroy have down, here and.
Speaker 1: They have a really good.
Speaker 4: Chemistry Christian kirk when healthy can stretch to feel horizontically and. Vertically so maybe there is a fit there if the front office listens To josh. Recommendation so those are a couple of Things i'm looking at, receiver and then they've got to figure out that pass. Rush the most immediate decision what to do with Von. Miller vaughn talked to. Him he said he wants to be. Back they have to figure out what that contract number. Is but there's a chance that he is back and they still add pass rush depth as well for The.
Speaker 5: Bills makes a lot of. Sense Cam wolf with football news and some. GOLFERS i actually like THAT.
Speaker 7: Tgl it's been a good.
Speaker 5: Watch, Cam thank you very. Much look forward to talk to you talking to you in the coming. Days we spent a lot of time talking ABOUT Dk, Metcalf, Deebo SAMUEL Aj. Brown what do all the guys have in?
Speaker 7: Common it's not just that the.
Speaker 5: RECEIVERS i, mean they are, receivers but that's not what they have in. Common we'll tell you if you just stick around for a couple of.
Speaker 2: Minutes one of today's top Stories seahawks wide receiver Dk metcalf has requested a trade From seattle and the team has agreed to explore. Options K, metcalf of, course a member of a vaunted and often traded twenty NINETEEN nfl draft class at wide. Receiver take a look at some of the. Names Hollywood, brown of, course moved from The ravens to The cardinals.
Speaker 1: In A draft day deal a few years. AGO. A.
Speaker 2: J brown was actually traded on that Same draft. Day Nikhil HARRY i totally forgot that he was a one.
Speaker 1: Point trader from The patriots to The.
Speaker 2: Bears Nicole hardman traded before ending up back In Kansas. City Deontay johnson has been traded a couple of. Times devo traded just a couple of weeks, ago which all brings us to a very important. Question welcome back to The Insider's Tom, Pilla, Sarah Judy, Battista Ian Ralph For, Judy i'm gonna give you the first crack at this, year who is the highest drafted wide receiver from that twenty nineteen class that is still on their original.
Speaker 6: Team the first name that pops into my head Is terry, McLaurin because he's still on his, team AND i don't know if there's anybody ahead of him judges that that's still on their.
Speaker 1: Team that is.
Speaker 2: Correct terry McLaurin indeed is the correct. ANSWERS i knew That ian had cheated because the producers to, Break, no that's.
Speaker 5: FALSE i was about to cheat and they saw me, googling and they stopped me from, Googling so THEREFORE i did not, Cheat but to be, FAIR i.
Speaker 7: WOULD i can't even remember who was.
Speaker 2: Drafted your first reaction to, hey we're gonna have a trivia segment is, WELL i should just google the.
Speaker 7: Answer No
Speaker 1: Eastern see it