Speaker 1: Welcome back to another edition of the Frida Egg Podcast and the twenty nineteen Masters. We have a lot planned for the week, both on the podcast and on the website, and to kick things off we talk golf with PGA Tour Senior Editor Sean Martin a few other notes about Master's Week. If you don't already, be sure to sign up for our newsletter. It will go out every day of the tournament and usually goes out every week Monday, Wednesday Friday. It's designed to be the easiest way for you to keep up to date on everything going on in the golf world, and especially with Masters Week, we will be ramping it up and it'll pack a little bit more punch, so it'll be the easiest place to stay up to date, but also find all the new articles that we're putting up and as well as podcasts across the Frida Egg and the Shotgun Start. The pro shop is also stocked up, so we have new hats up there as well well. It's a limited edition polo by b Draddy. B Draddy is one of our official apparel partners, along with the other brands in the Summit Group, Fairway Green and Zero Restriction. I really love be dratty stuff because it looks good on and off the course. So if I'm going to meet missus Friday after I play nine for a quick dinner or brunch after a morning eighteen, I don't have to feel like I have to go change out of my golf clothes because they're clothes that are acceptable to wear on and off the golf course, and they're very stylish. So we tried to keep that in mind with the Master's polo, knowing that you might be wearing it out at a friend's place or at a bar watching the Masters, or you might be playing golf. So it's a shirt that is very versatile you can wear in any type of situation, really, So check that out in the prop along with all of our other gear. And without further ado, here is Sean Martin and the kickoff of our Master's coverage.
Speaker 2: The fried egg requires a different technique. What you need to do is actually square the face so they'll dig down underneath that bad lie and propel that ball right out onto the green.
Speaker 1: Here's the thing. Playing out of a buried lion of bunker is completely different than playing out of a nice clean lion of green side bunker. You need to be aggressive on any show, whether it's sitting cleanly.
Speaker 3: For it's Frida Egg, well, we've all faked it. The dreaded Frida Egg not to be feared, though it's actually a pretty easy shot to hit.
Speaker 1: We welcome on Sean Martin, writer at the PGA Tour. Are you senior writer? Now?
Speaker 3: You know yea works your way role, senior.
Speaker 1: Editor, Senior editor at the PGA Tour and also a new father number two.
Speaker 3: Two, number two. You're trying to catch Kyle Porter.
Speaker 1: How's it going. You're sleeping a lot.
Speaker 3: Good, We're getting there. Things are calming down a little bit, but it's definitely it's a lot of work. It's I feel like two kids, feels like three times the work. So I've been alternity leave. Augusta is the big comeback, you know, just get thrown right into the fire. I've been paying attention to what's going on, but I'm excited to get to Augusta. See you back a little golf.
Speaker 1: You have some takes just ruminating.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, I've just been fired up, just just waiting to unleash.
Speaker 1: Let's let's talk about it. What so so far? In twenty nineteen, what's surprised.
Speaker 3: You, What surprised me? I think the biggest thing is maybe the first thing that comes to mind is the way people reacting to Rory's play and just the way that I think because Rory gets very philosophical, the way we philosophize his play, Like winning on the PGA Tour is really hard, playing in a final group is really hard. Playing in a final group when you're like three back, which he's done a couple of times, but you know, the stats don't always flesh out, like all those are very hard, and I feel like a guy going like what six straight top six finishes and we're like dogging him, and I don't know. It was good to see win the player because I felt like he was playing great and it was just it's just funny how we over maybe overanalyze these things. I mean, good play is good play. And then of course speed, Like I was looking at the speed stats the other day and like being like, you know, everyone's like, oh, the putting is bad, but you look at the rest of it. He's like two hundreds and strokes gang, he's outside the top one hundred and like off the tee and approach like it's it's it's bad bad. He's playing better this week so far, but the weekends been really the big sort of struggle for him. So I think Rory and Speed, I guess, would be my two big things that stand out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we've talked a lot about this in the past. Is about like winning and how it might be a little overrated. And I think Rory was like the poster boy for this up until that Players is he was clearly the best player in the world, like playing the best golf of anybody in the world going into that Players and then you know, everybody jumped on the bandwagon after he wins. But to a certain extent, winning there is some randomness too totally. You get into the hunt and then if things go your way, you got a really good chance at winning. But sometimes things don't go your way.
Speaker 3: And yeah, golf is so golf so random. I think I saw a study once they hit like a bunch of six irons with an iron Byron and like it was like ten six ins of an iron bron and like the yardage disparity was like fifteen yards or something, just because of like air and wind changes, like while the ball was airborne, Like golf is such a random sport. I think what Joe Pete said too about clustering, Like you know, you only get one chance to hit each shot, and we all have like this you know, random basically variant, this random. Scott Fascet calls it the shotgun pattern of like where our shots go with basically like the same swing. And so golf is just a random game. You stand up on a tee, the wind shifts five miles an hour while your ball's airborne, like it can have a huge impact. And so we love to ascribe everything that happens Sunday to nerves and you know, mental and emotion and all this stuff. But in reality, like especially as a player like Rory who's done it's so much, sometimes these things just don't don't happen. I thought Joe Pete calling it clustering in the Very Special Shotguns Start was really good because yeah, some days you just you know, we want to say, we won't want to describe or redoo, but some days, like your shots happened to laying close to the pin, you're swinging it just as well as you were yesterday, but you know you've gotten good yardages, changes in the air. You know, slight changes and impact that kind of stuff, like it just works out for you would basically the same type of play you had the day.
Speaker 1: Previous when Rory went through where people were puting like he can't close on Sundays that it was like the week before the valspar or not the valspar to the players, the Bay Hill was the last time, you know. And I looked at all the stats for his last round and it was all it was was like he just wasn't hitting a pro shots that close everybody. Yeah, the thing about and I think this is a part of with golf coverage where everybody always wants to jump to the end result and blame people's putting right because they don't see putts going in, But a lot of times it's you're not hitting it close enough to make putts right. And that's the case with speed. Everybody's pointing fingers at his putting, but he's not hitting the ball close. So it's hard to make a lot of birdies if you don't hit the ball well right.
Speaker 3: So, yeah, his balls rining stats are really bad, by the way, this year.
Speaker 1: It's not good.
Speaker 3: I know.
Speaker 1: I think that that's but that's also the thing that golf can do to you is where if you're struggling with one thing, it eventually wears on everything.
Speaker 3: Oh totally.
Speaker 1: You've You've covered U golf for a pretty long time, you know, yep, pretty much all of Rory's career.
Speaker 3: Uh sure, yeah, of his career. Started doing it before Rory came out. But yeah, so I've seen a lot of Rory.
Speaker 1: Do you do you think this is as good as he's played.
Speaker 3: I think he seems more complete and I like, uh, maybe more controlled. You know, I think he would hit that high draw with the driver and just kill it. And when it was on, he could just dominate courses. But then when it was off, you know, it was off, and that the fade is hitting. Now he seems like he's still driving it pretty much just as good, a lot more control. It's the same thing we thought with Dustin. You know, dust in twenty sixteen he goes to a fade that year, wins Oakmont, wins Firestone, and I don't know, it seems like Rory he just seems under control and like and and what so seven straight top six finishes, I guess like it just seems maybe he's on a roll. And we get on the rolls, but he just seems very in controlled, very repeatable. I like it. I think that I think he doesn't. You know, you look at Augusta, his Augusta record up until a couple of years ago. Every year he had a round of seventy seven or higher. So many times he got into the mix, like through Thursday, Friday and the shot seventy seven. We saw him do a speed we saw him doing twenty eleven, saw him doing it a couple of times early before he was even in contention, and then back door of top ten, and like you know, that was his big prominent Augusta was he'd have the one big day and he's finally learned to control that and he's contended and now he just needs to, you know, maybe shave a couple more strokes off there and get that Grand Slam.
Speaker 1: It's kind of like how much web dot Com leader boards all the time, and the difference between the guys that you know have good weeks and bad weeks is usually there. It's always the bad round and it seems, you know, and that's it's at every level of golf. Is if you can usually in a tournament, in a four day tournament, you know, obviously there's situations where guys run away and play just unbelievable golf for four rounds, but more likely than not, there's gonna be one round where you just don't have it, and that's the I feel like Rory this year has avoided the bad round.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, totally.
Speaker 1: I can't really remember a year with the exception of uh, you know, obviously Speed's been struggling for almost a year now. But outside of really Brooksy we Brooks, kaptcha, we have all the big damn guys have shown something.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think that happens. I'm gonna say take I think that happens a fair amount more because I feel like I every year I see this tweet of like, you know, Rory won speak one day one Like every year it's like this might be the most Hypmasters ever, and I feel like it happens every year.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know, I don't know.
Speaker 3: I could be wrong.
Speaker 1: I feel like we have more more parody than ever. There's more you know, really big players than ever.
Speaker 3: Now totally right, you know.
Speaker 1: Like I think you could go down the list of players and you could get I mean, you get down to like twenty twenty two in the world. You're not surprised if they win this next week anybody in the Lap twenty two.
Speaker 3: Which going back to the Rory thing, makes like the winning that much harder. So all you can do is consistently put yourself in contention. You know, Joe Peterson of the clustering and the strokes gained, and you know how you can only control what you can control, and so like I was looking at like the year Christen Marco the Tiger in the playoff and DeMarco gained seventeen strokes on the field, but he lost to Tiger, but he would have won eleven or the next thirteen Masters, And so all you can do is control what you can control, but it just takes that many more strokes gained to then win. So you know, when you're comparing Rory and like all these other tournaments where he comes close, it's Rory against one hundred and fifty five other guys. Some of them are gonna have hot putting weeks all this other stuff, and so he's done the only thing you can do, which is consistently put yourself in contention and then sometimes just hope that someone doesn't happen to play better, which is not a sexy answer, and people want to wish there's more to it, but really, I mean, he's done all you can do, and he's done what you need to do to be the best player in the world.
Speaker 1: So outside of Rory, obviously he's got the Grand Slam and that's going to be the really big storyline going in. What else are you watching? Are you excited?
Speaker 3: Sure? I'm curious with Dustin Johnson. I did Kyle Porter's pod and he laughed at me a little bit for comparing Augusta and TPC Sawgrass based on obviously my employer and where I work. But you look at Dustin. Dustin's record at the Players Championship was horrendous for a long time. He was over par for his career Deep Sea Sawgrass before arriving at the Players this year, and then he played really well and he contended and had a chance to win. And Augusta was kind of that way too. For a guy you know, he kills it, hits really far, should dominate the part fives everything we say about people who should contend to Augusta, But his record there wasn't really good. I think now he's just reached that level where he's so good and so well rounded that he can contend anywhere. And he showed it at the Players, a place that he had not had a good record, and so now I'm curiously if he can kind of show the same thing at Augusta, where, like pepc Sawgrass, his results have gotten a little bit better each year after a really bad start.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I like the last couple of year times DJ's played at Augusta, I thought he's played pretty well, Like a couple of years ago, he was like, yeah, he was that one year I want to say it was three years ago. I want to say he finished T six and he was like he was right there, you know, Yeah, and he just didn't make any putts on Sunday. I think obviously, hitting the ball really far and really straight works everywhere. Sure, and like to a certain extent, it's all about approach at Augusta, you know. But obviously the DJ is always going to have a huge advantage driving the golf ball, and that's the that's the thing where DJ could just look really bad sometimes approaching greens. I feel like, yeah, but that's everybody, really, who'd you say, who's your favorite going into the week?
Speaker 3: Favorite? I don't want to say Coke favorite with Rory and Rose. Uh. And then the one I want to look beyond based on your boy Joe Pete is Bryson. So Bryson when he's an amateur, you know, he's in contention there halfway through the Masters, and then just makes a mess of eighteen. It makes triple, but still finishes like twenty first. And then last year hit the ball incredible. I think he was the worst putter in the field and finished like twenty fifth.
Speaker 1: I think Kyle Stanley was the worst.
Speaker 3: And Bryson was the second worst.
Speaker 1: Maybe yeah, I think Bryson was the second worst. Kyle Stanley lost something like nine shots on the greens, yeah something.
Speaker 3: So whatever it was, it was bad. They were both bad, but so point being of Bryson was just you know, one bad swing on eighteen, which and then you know one horrendous putting week, which is putting's been a lot better, and I think he's he could have contended twice in his two starts, which one of them was an amateur. So I do. I do like Bryson, though he has slowed a little bit in his play, But I think Rose and Rory would be my co number ones.
Speaker 1: Somebody I'm curious about this year is mol Nari. Yeah, because he's never had great success at Augusta and you could, you know, for most of his career he had probably like the worst type of game for Augusta.
Speaker 3: Short and a bad putter.
Speaker 1: But he's like kind of long now.
Speaker 3: Right, Well, he gain I last year he gained twenty yards. It's been like a three year process to gain twenty yards because he basically used to be super straight and super short. Now he's still pretty straight, but twenty yards longer. And so I asked him for like the best hole. That was a good example of how much his distance has helped him. And he talked about Aida Augusta. He always had used to go left of the right faroy bunker, and then last year it was the first time he could carry Hutting is a lot better. He has two of the things that you do. You do need there, You need to hit it farther. And of course, I mean Augusta is going to penalize Missus, especially Missus with irons on thirteen fifteen, but he doesn't miss anything.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's the thing, he can just go. That was I mean last year's open win was It was one of the most impressive golf performances I've ever seen, you know it basically didn't miss a shot for two days.
Speaker 3: And then I mean, the the match play was ridiculous going into Sunday. He played seventy three holes in five matches. That's out of a possible ninety holes. And then he lost a kissner. But then he rolled through the consolation match. I mean, he almost won the match play without ever like with seeing I think the seventeenth hole once.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he he's he's just a tough guy to play against because he never misses. Like those guys just frustrate the crap out of you. Yeah, it's like he's he's got to be kind of a sneaky Masters guy because his his odds are going to be depressed because of his form at Augusta, right.
Speaker 3: Which I want to say last year was his best finished by a long shot. I want to say he finished top twenty. I can look it up, but yeah, I think in a big part of that was that was when he was starting to really see the distance games. But last year was his best Master's finish because he's a much different player than he was three four or five years ago, so you can't look too much at his his way way back results T twenty Augusta. But yeah, that was after some pretty pretty bad finishes to start his career. And of course he has caddying experience there.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm oh yeah for for Dodo.
Speaker 3: Yeah, same group as Tiger. Tiger was defending champion and Dodo was the USM champ.
Speaker 1: No better way to learn learn Augusta than caddy out Augusta.
Speaker 3: Maybe more guys should do that.
Speaker 1: What about uh, what about your boy Decky?
Speaker 3: He just high on him. I know, I think Augusta has Augusta is more of a I don't know if this term really means because it works everywhere, but Augusta, now there's than lengthened, is more of a ball striker's course than before. You know, before it was like you had to just kind of wedge it and putt it well and go low. But now, I mean, really, you know what are we looking at? Eight nine, ten underwins some years and you know you just gotta so you don't have to make a ton of put especially with the par fives. You can just pick up a ton of strokes there. So for a guy like Hideki, You just you know, don't make any mistakes. You've got to hit good mid long irons, especially at the par fives, and then you don't have to put lights out because it's not like it used to be. It's more of a like meld of the US Open a little bit. It's more of a ball striker's course. And that's why I think Hideki has played well in the last few years.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I he hits it so good. I think the thing that Augusta does, and I've said this in a number of times, but the uneven lies clearly bring the best iron players to the forefront. I think that's why we see Paul Casey play outstanding there every single year. I the guy is like a top ten machine at Augusta. And you see you look just down the winners. I mean you look at Speth, who are the best players at Augusta. You know that we've seen as are like in our generations, Speth, Phil and Tiger and those are three of the best iron players.
Speaker 3: Well. And it's an underrated skill because TV flattens everything out and most of us play you know, fairly flat American golf courses. But I mean it's a real thing there, and Speed had that famous quote that I always love looking back at. He said he always played well at Capelloua when he was there, and then in Augusta because he loved hitting off side hill lies. Because it may you have be more athletic and kind of more innovative. It's less driving range style, it's less mechanic, it's more athletic. And so I do think that that skill is greatly underrated because you don't see it on TV and because most of us aren't used to hitting shots like that crazy enough that much of a side hill or uphill or downhill lie.
Speaker 1: It's I think, uh yeah, I agree with that. It brings so much skill to the forefront and and then I think around the greens. Obviously that's got you're gonna miss. And that's the thing where you know, Ricky, what do you think about Ricky going into this That's obviously always a big question.
Speaker 3: A little bit too with the short game stuff thos. Soon as I wonder when something is so hard it almost the great players really stand out at it, but then it kind of compresses like the average and bad. I feel like, where if you're not that good at it, you're really bad at so we like how hard shipping and pitching is around Augusta. Like guys like Phil and Speak really stand out. But if you're only like slightly above average, you're I feel like your advantage is kind of gone because you're just you're either really really good or you're bad.
Speaker 1: I feel like you're subtweeting Westy.
Speaker 3: I mean, that's that's a guy who's not known for his short game, but a consistent contender at Augusta. But then it's because he would ball striking to death.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's well, I think this about the Greens a little bit, is that I think that the Greens there. I think Kideki being so bad at puttings actually he gets closer to the you know, average guy at Augusta than he does at a place like say, uh, I don't know Valero.
Speaker 3: Yeah right, it turns I think it it kind of compresses the field a little bit of like it's kind of like, what if you have two putters you don't have one. It's kind of like if nobody's making putts, then nobody's a good putter. I think there's some of that. I think obviously there's a couple of guys that can put well there, but there's only a couple everyone else is just kind of you know, two putting taking advantage of par fives and then and also using if you're a really good ball striker there and you can use the slopes, you can be left with a lot of really short birdie puts into certain pins. So and but then you know, I think you and me and Stuart hagesth I were talking about with fourteen like that's a hole that knowledge people think about. But like there's a couple of places where you hit a good short iron shot and you can funnel it to it in like a foot. But if you miss the slope, now you left with a crazy up and down you're gonna be bogie. And so I do think that you left with a lot of short birdie putts there. No one and maybe speak is different the year that he won in twenty fifteen, but that was a crazy year. But like a lot of guys are winning there by just pouring in fifteen footers all day because it's so hard to do.
Speaker 1: It's interesting you say that, like I feel like maybe last year was the first time where I felt like Reed made a lot of really good like ten to fifteen foot putts. Yeah, But for the most part, I think it's because of the way the greens are, where there's very small targets on these big greens that you have to get to in order to have like a real makeable putt yep.
Speaker 3: But and there are some sections where if you do get to it, you are left with a flat putt. Like I was, like, I watched the final round highlights yesterday, and I mean, like, he made the big pot on twelve, but twelve is a flat green. He made a pretty good put on three, but like it was fifteen feet, but it didn't have that much movement to it, So it was in that front left section of the green. You're there, but you're not making huge bending fifteen footers.
Speaker 1: What can we talk about the strokes gain stuff you did per hole?
Speaker 3: Yeah, tell let's do it walk.
Speaker 1: Uh. So you sent me this chart and I was like, oh, what is this? What did what did you all? What did you put together?
Speaker 3: So I wanted to take the guys who so I called them seventy two hole leaders, guys who either won or got into a playoff, because I feel like when you're looking at strokes gain for the week, you can't discount a guy just because what happened after the final put dropped in regulation. So I took the last ten years and I stopped at two thousand and nine. I mean a partly for time. Data entry takes a little bit of a while. And then b I think before two thousand and nine, and you get in some weird weather years with two thousand and eight, two thousand and seven, and even before that you got in some really hard masters, and then also had different equipment. Guys are just getting used to kind of the length in Augusta, and they're playing it with different stuff than they're playing it now. So I stopped at two thousand and nine, and that was fifteen guys, and I wanted to look at like if you took that guy every year, like where did he gained his strokes in the field? What were the most important holes? Was it just thirteen and fifteen he just you know, massacred and gained all his strokes, And so I took the holes where they gained the most strokes on the field for those fifteen guys. And it was interesting, is what we talked about. But the two biggest holes were three and fourteen, which not exactly. The two most famous holes of Augusta two par fours, not the par fives. And part of it is for the reason we talked about was that their holes where you've got a short iron in hand, and if you can pull off the shot, you can be left with a very short birdy putt. But if you don't, you can make five or even six. They're really quick.
Speaker 1: I think this is a great way to think about it. And Joe Peter on the shotgun start talked about this a little bit. But everybody talks about how it's a par five contest. Yeah, but those are the ones where you have to make bertie to keep up right right, And these are the holes that when you make bertie, you you separate yourself.
Speaker 3: Yep. So and so I can go down the list, but and when we look at them, it does make sense, and it is it's not the biggest sample, but it is sixty rounds. But so the holes in order are three, fourteen, twelve, eighteen and one, and then again to eight and fifteen, a couple of part fives, and then actually the hole is last on the whole thing. And for I've gone longer and done more years, and it stays in the last places too, which is one of the par five. But I think, frank, because that one's really hard to mess up because you can you hit it up there, you go for it. There's no trouble around the green per se. You're not hitting in the water like on thirteen or fifteen. But yeah, three and fourteen two short part fours are birdie ball I looked at them a little bit. They seem to be the holes each year where a couple of years they play over par. But they allowed the most birdies out of the holes to play over par. And then after that twelve I think obviously just keeping it out of water. Eighteen I think because some of those whole locations, especially maybe the Sunday one, you can make birdie there and so a couple of good, well struck shots will give you a birdie, but you can also make a mess of that hole. And I do think one the first whole huge part four days you're picking up strokes on the field.
Speaker 1: That hole is so hard.
Speaker 3: Yeah one.
Speaker 1: I mean, did you buy a chance to listen to that podcast I did about loss of version.
Speaker 3: No, I'm saving it for my five and a half hour drive to Augusta.
Speaker 1: It's something I've been thinking about a lot lately. So the whole thing is that if you play par five, if it's a par four instead of a part five, the pros are going to a point two to one two point three shots right right per round. So it's thirteen is a perfect example of a hole that if it was a US open, they would immediately make that a part four, right yep. And but and then guys would score even better on it. Yeah, because they're a loss of verse. And I think that's there's some stuff there with Augusta where they're there's there's psychological things out there, and I think one is an example of a hole that is extremely hard, but it's made harder because it's the first one off and you're a lot of these guys, you know, Ogilvy said it on the pod, like you're more nervous there than anywhere else. The rest of the year is the first tess.
Speaker 3: Did you see Eddy Pepperrell's tweet?
Speaker 1: Yeah, we're setting to say exactly so.
Speaker 3: Like it's common we're seven days away from me pitching out of the first bunker or the punker on the first hole. Augusta National, Yes, well, I mean that's a fairly bunker that you don't you Sometimes students have to pitch out sideways on that thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean they're so deep. I think that's one of the things with I was at Pebble a couple of weeks ago, and that was something that like really shocked me, was how deep the bunkers are there. And that was something also when I was at Augusta that I was like, holy cow, these bunkers are so deep and you can't tell that from from the TV. Yeah, is like, if you're in some of those fairway bunkers, you have no chance.
Speaker 3: And also a lot of up and downs around number one if you do miss the green or all but impossible.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: One one's one of the toughest greens too. That's that's another aspect of it that it beyond like being very hard to drive it well there then you get there. It's the toughest green with unbelievably difficult surround. What uh what about first timers? Are you you watched and are you excited to see any of these first timers? Do you feel like any of them would have a chance to really perform? Well?
Speaker 3: I think because it's more of a I've read this sumwhere I feel like I'm stealing this take. But I think because it's become more of a ball striker's golf course and less of kind of a short iron and you know, go really low, that it takes some of that mystery out of it. And so you see first timers play better. I mean like even Tony Tony made is they do last year Sprain's ankle and finishes ten. So I think that, I want to say, some of the subtlety is taken out of it because on so many holes now you're just playing for par, and so you can play a little bit safer and you don't have to attack some of the.
Speaker 1: Some of those you know, I asked this question. Now, I kind of run down the list of I'm looking at the list of of who are the first timers?
Speaker 3: I would say Victor Howland. I mean that's also an amateur when I get to that later.
Speaker 1: But YE was gonna, yeah, you want to listen to the pros and the first time pros? Do you know who they all are?
Speaker 3: I don't. I was actually if you asked me that question, I was pulling off the field list and just scrolling rapidly through it.
Speaker 1: It's kind of it's kind of crazy. I I this is a this is I can't remember a first time or list with like not one guy where you're like, so it's Matt Wallace, Beureguard Pepperell, Keith Mitchell, Aaron Wise, Kevin Tway, Adam Long, Andrew Landry and Michael Kim for pros.
Speaker 3: So that's it feels like a pretty short list, too.
Speaker 1: Short, Yeah, really short.
Speaker 3: Wallace has been fairly impressive the last few weeks. He's the guy that won won six times. I think it was like three years ago he was a six time winner on the Alpsteer.
Speaker 1: I think he won three times last year too.
Speaker 3: He did so, but he's he's risen pretty rapidly from where he was at twenty sixteen. He played the Alps Tour.
Speaker 1: Alps Tour three years ago. Fun tour to go? What what?
Speaker 3: What?
Speaker 1: What if you could go for an entire season cover one golf tour? What would it be? This is a little divergence.
Speaker 3: Maybe the Alps Tour, uh man. I mean, I think you know, ship knocked into good story in late Latino America. I could see that I've gotten probably a little too old for I would probably say Canada. I'm at the stage my life for maybe some nice wide open drives through some country, you know, see some mountains, see some nice hikes. I would probably just do it. Sounds boring, but I think a lot of people do Latino America for obviously a lot of reasons. It's exotic. I think I would just go Canada, do a little hiking, a little camping.
Speaker 1: Everybody speaks in English too, you know, it sounds so American. That's such an American uncultured thing to say, like, but it's like that's a big part of like being able to communicate and get out there.
Speaker 3: It's uh, I'd stop at BAMF so that would be a big plus.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's I would uh. I think I would do Canada too. That that would be a cool Alps tour would be really cool if you if you spoke the language. Now for a word from our sponsor. Today's episode is powered by tdam Or Trade. Whether on the course or in the market, it helps to have a second set of eyes to keep you on your game. That's why Ted Ameritrades Trade Desk is here to help check your strategies so you always feel confident teeing up a trade visit tedomritrade dot com backslash fried Egg to learn more about what their trade desk can do for you. Member SB I c with uh with the masters. When do you get into town?
Speaker 3: I don't believe early Monday morning, so it's like a five hour drive through the middle of nowhere. So I've got I'm getting my podcast Q ready and yeah, I'll get there probably early Monday. Press conferences start like noon and Monday. I think Tommy Fleewood kicks it off.
Speaker 1: What's your what's your kind of schedule when you're when you're at AUGUSTA, give us a little look behind the curtain.
Speaker 3: I think it's just controlled madness. For it's just you know, sun up to sundown. I do. Let's see, I used to drive in Monday, used to get their midday, you know, trying to write something off of whatever happens that day, which isn't too much. Then do maybe a little nice late afternoon walk around the golf course because it's hard. You can get like stuck in the grindstone. I'm like, oh, I'm gonna write almost copy and got traffic and all this stuff, Like man, I'm gonna gusta like I need to enjoy this Tuesday morning to do my big all right, I'm gonna get there early and I'm gonna go walk. I usually do nine Tuesday, nine Wednesday each morning because Tuesday is like the big press conference day, where like every half hour is like some other top twenty player in the world. Wednesday is a lot more low key. It's just the chairman's press conference and in the part three contest. But yeah, I think, I mean it is. I try to spend a lot of time at the golf course. But then I'm too I'm like, why should you just go there? I mean, the press building is like stupid nice. It's ridiculous how nice it is. I was like, man, it's so hectic. I'm gona start get there even earlier. You can get there like five. Get a nice breakfast. They have like print editions of the New York Times, which is like unheard of. Get a nice breakfast, sit back, read the New York Times, collect my thoughts of the day, get my takes in order, and then you know, just be really refreshing ready to go for when the press conferences start.
Speaker 1: What are your thoughts so far? We're recording this on Friday on the and whah.
Speaker 3: I think it's a step in the right direction as someone who actually went to the inspiration the craft in the disco for a lot for a few years for Golf Week and would do the double by the getting from Rancho Mirage cal Need to Augusta Georgian not the easiest, but having done that double and seeing what that event means to those people, like I could see it's hard. I mean, that's a hard overlap to take. And I can't imagine being one of those players. It's in the position that had to choose between the two of them. I think Stacy Lewis had a quote that she gave credit to the girls and showed up to the LPGA events, like if you want to play pro golf, the only way to get better is to play in the biggest pro events and get that experience. And I think there's some of that. And I think, like, you know, you grow it's a major. So if you're a woman, you grow up. I mean, of course we all growing up or dream of playing a Gusta National growing up, but they keep you playing the inspiration as well. I just I mean there were some people that chose to go to that. I just have such a hard decision that I feel bad that people were put in that decision or put in that position that had to make that decision. But at the same time, it is I think, a step in the right direction and it is nice to see. And so it's there's good and bad. It's good. Is it perfect? Probably not, But you know, if you wait around just for the perfect opportunity, you might never get it. So at least something happens.
Speaker 1: I feel like there's no way that Augusta's going to change their schedule.
Speaker 3: Makes sense because you have the an wha end Saturday, and like you do have people starting to trickle into town, you know, possibly early or they might add nextra day onder their trip. And then you do have media already kind of starting to get there. You know, it used to be they'd get their Sunday because that was the last day the just media was on the court or was there. You weren't allowed on the course. You kind of gather under the tree. It's so funny because members play with players on Sunday, so like take your random like Condoleeza Rice is playing with I don't know if someone on Sunday and the Masters week starts the next day, but so media was already getting their Sunday. Now it's on Saturday. They're in town, so you get covered for the event. You know, if it was like there's just some random week in you know, February or whatever, it wouldn't get near that it would get good TV coverage, I think, because people will watch Augusta on TV at any time, but it wouldn't get the same same coverage. And also, their golf season is so short in Augusta that if you give it up for another week, your golf season is pretty short already. I think they're only what May or October to May, so giving up another week is a tough one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I go back and forth because obviously, like you're the b D is coming, But then on the flip side, it's like a big ask for somebody to be there for that much longer. And then the other thing is like the it just seems like you shouldn't have to choose.
Speaker 3: You shouldn't ever have such a tough choice.
Speaker 1: It'd be like if the USGA put the US Women's Am and US Women's Open right next to each on the same date. That would never happen. Yeah, right, it's actually pretty crazy, especially when you consider Ana is kind of almost like the Masters of women Golf.
Speaker 3: Right totally.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I don't know these are these.
Speaker 3: Are I give credit to the women that went to the inspiration. Like, can you imagine turning down I mean that's that's making a bold I feel like a bold statement for women's golf or maybe the LPGA tour. Like you're turning down around to Augusta National. It's hard to do.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you never know if you'll get an invite back the next year if you turn it down, right, Yes, that's a good point. I figure if they if they, if they make it big enough and in pro golf, they'll they'll get a play Augusta National. And like with the way the way the stay of the golf is too. This is the other thing. This is actually an interesting question. Are you going to get more exposure for winning the ANWA or winning the a NA as an amateur? I think the ant wal right, And that's that's kind of messed up.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean you're winning a women's major versus winning a women's amateur.
Speaker 1: Event just because it's Augusta. Like there's more mainstream appeal.
Speaker 3: You'll actually, if you win the Anwall, you'll you'll you'll be the most well known women's amateur golfer in the world for winning the Antwal versus winning the women's amateur That's the way of Augusta. Like, how many people know so much more about Jennifer cup Show and Sierra Brooks now than they did two or three weeks ago, all because of the ant Wall run up.
Speaker 1: And like because yeah, like cup Show, Like she's playing well, so everybody's talking about her. Yeah, it's it's that's the crazy thing. When I talked to Mike Wana a couple of months ago, what he said about the Olympics in South Korea and what the rating they got for mb was like twenty four, which is essentially like triple tiger raiding here. Yeah, it kind of weighs. But Augusta, is that for America? Yeah, so winning the Anwha is a bigger deal in a way to the country than to the golf world than winning any of the any of the majors.
Speaker 3: I do wonder that may not be the same case five ten years from now we are looking at the first one. So everyone's like, oh, you know this is the groundbreaking event. This is the first one. This one has the big media run up, so that might not be the case five ten years ago. It'll still be a big event, but it won't be overshadowing a major and the women's Amateur I mean, you'll the winner of the ANWHA is going to depending who wins the Women's Open, is going to be more famous than who wins the US Women's Open. You're gonna be you might be, depending who wins, you might be the most famous women's golfer in the country if you win the Nwhell this year.
Speaker 1: That's what I'm saying. It's unbelievable.
Speaker 3: I guess, yeah, I guess I'm just processing that of like, you might become better known than some of the best professional players. I don't think that'll be the case ten years from now, but this year.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I hadn't thought about it until we just started talking about it.
Speaker 3: It's like, I don't think me neither. My my head you're exploding now thinking about that it.
Speaker 1: But uh so, let's let's shift gears. I can't think about that anymore. Brooks Kopka is.
Speaker 3: This excited for the excited for the body issue?
Speaker 1: Is this the strangest thing that's ever happened a guy, this one, like, you know, the last two of the last three majors.
Speaker 3: I think, so I actually and maybe it's because I work in the PGA tour and so I work like and we talked about like storytelling and you know, getting guys into non golf media. And one thing we do is we ask players, like, what's some non golf stuff you're interested in that like you would love to be featured in. And all these guys have like something like you know, someone might be really into I don't know, like just say fishing, because it's like what would love to be in like a fishing magazine or something.
Speaker 1: Sean guys Sean Stephanie is into deer hunting in Iowa.
Speaker 3: Yes, yeah, yeah, only Iowa, not the other that maybe that's like the Augusta National of Deer Hunting.
Speaker 1: That's why I've heard it. I've heard is un like it's the most unbelievable deer hunting place in the world.
Speaker 3: So anyways, but so and there's there's guys who are hungry to be known outside of the golf space. So if you are Brooks, you're down in South Florida with Joey d Like working out is huge for you, Like I could see you being like I'm gonna do this because it's only four months out of the year. I'm just I can't believe, Like they couldn't say, like, hey, can we shoot this in December? Like and then that way I'm off and I can lose this weight and it's not gonna fack my game. But like, I don't know, I it's definitely interesting. But if you want to be like for Brooks, it might be a big deal to be the first golfer in the body issue.
Speaker 1: The song picture in the Maldives is that was like they were a precursor.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that was just that was dropping hints, that was getting us ready.
Speaker 1: Maybe it's just to get the before picture and then the after picture.
Speaker 3: But then now if he gains the twenty four pounds back like too quickly, Now, are we gonna have like two big a shift in Like you know we've gone down too fast up too fast? Like do we have to change equipment? Like I don't know.
Speaker 1: This is what kind of makes it crazy for me, Like this guy has played better than anybody else, Like he's winning the biggest events.
Speaker 3: And then he won the CJ CJ Cup to get the regular you know, can't win a regular tour event, monkey off his back.
Speaker 1: Imagine if Lebron in last year and there in a postseason run just was like, Hey, I'm losing twenty five pounds for something I can't tell you about it.
Speaker 3: This would it would be Lebron in the first like twenty five games of the season.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's true, that's true.
Speaker 3: But he is. He does have the three peat chance of the US Open coming up.
Speaker 1: I see, I think he'll be back to normal, but he just like kind of I think. I think the thing the tournament that he's screwed is the is the Masters. But watch him go out and win and prove us all wrong.
Speaker 3: You know. Actually, I want I want people at the US Open to take I don't know when the body should comes out, I assume it before the US Open, to take that picture and blow it up life size and like just carried around a pebble beach. That would be just something.
Speaker 1: That would be be a new way of heckling, right, new way. So let's let's talk about the major lists. The biggest name major list. We haven't even talked about Tiger either.
Speaker 3: So I agree with Joe I think or no, it was ship nok Man. He got lit up by people. All Shipnuk was saying was that Tiger is like the twelfth number twelve favorite this week or like maybe even like fifteen.
Speaker 1: Is that where you play?
Speaker 3: I'd probably put ten guys ahead of them.
Speaker 1: Let's let's just run let's just run down the done. I'll run down a few names here, right, Dustin Johnson ahead of them, Yeah, Justin Rose clearly, Rory Yep, Brooks.
Speaker 3: Not not downsized Brooks, not small Brooks.
Speaker 1: But j j T. Would you put j T ahead of him at Augusta a place he hasn't really done it done much yet?
Speaker 3: He hasn't but small sample what is like his third fourth, Masters third? But I don't know. I think he's still I mean, he's.
Speaker 1: So good, okay, so ahead, So he's ahead of him. So we got we got uh, now we've got we've got five guys or four guys Bryson.
Speaker 3: I'm probably putting every guy that's ahead him in the world ranking ahead.
Speaker 1: Of him except for downsized Brooks.
Speaker 3: Yeah, which that was half jokes, medium Brooks. Uh, but even in like I mean today is hell Fleetwood might be ahead of him, Tony fen now if you know, yeah, I mean there's probably he's probably like the fifteenth best favorite, which isn't I mean, ship not got killed for this, but it's a it's not a bad place to be. But also it's realistic.
Speaker 1: I mean, would you put ahead of him?
Speaker 3: Gosh, I don't think so. Phil's been pretty bad since he wanted at or wanted Pebble. He's something else and his Augusta record, his Augusta record the last few years has not been good. Yeah, I think he finished. He played well the year Speed won, but that's because Spith just ran away from everyone. Would you put it he doesn't have a top yeah, of course, even no matter just because.
Speaker 1: Just just just out of speed, you'd put ahead of him, right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, as we as we write this Speed or as we record this feat is tied the lead of Ballero too straight sixty eight.
Speaker 1: That's uh, it's kind of big news. That's going to be a big moving line.
Speaker 3: Corey Connors also type of lead Monday Qualifier to the Master.
Speaker 1: I can't believe how many times he's had in Monday Qualify this year.
Speaker 3: This is his third, so he's not even he's not in TJ vocal territory yet, but he has a third and so if he has like another high finish, like two top five off of Monday qualifying, that's pretty impressive.
Speaker 1: I been kind of disappointed with the Canadian golfers.
Speaker 3: I remember, so flashback let today, I guess flashback Friday two thousand nine. I was ringing Golf. We cover in the Amateur Game, and we had Nick Taylor and Matt Hill on our cover as like this big like Canadians are coming type thing, because Nick Taylor was the number one amateur in the world and Matt Hill was coming off his eight win season when he swept conference regionals in NCAA's like they were. I mean, it was like Nick Taylor and Matt Hill were so good. And I mean Nick Taylor's on tour, but all he has is the Sanderson And I think in ten years Matt Hill has never even I don't know if he's even gotten full time status on the web tour.
Speaker 1: This is that's the most amazing thing about golf is the guys in the peak at twenty one. Yeah, it's not about them, you know.
Speaker 3: I feel like we all think that like this this linear progression. So if you're really good at thirteen, you can be really good at fifteen and at seventeen, years can keep getting better and better. You know, you're really good to twenty one and be great at twenty five. It's like, not necessarily some guys are the best year of their career at twenty one.
Speaker 1: I was talking with somebody I can't remember who, but how golf in a way is kind of becoming more like baseball, where baseball they don't necessarily draft the best player and out of high school, they draft the best prospect out of high school, right, right, So they draft the guy that can throw ninety two. He might not have control or throw ninety four. He might not have control of his stuff, but he's six', four he's got room to, build grow, out and, GOLF i think that is the where it's kind of. Going is that a lot of times the guy that's the best of twenty one isn't going to be the one this's best to twenty. Six obviously sometimes that is the, case but.
Speaker 3: YEAH i mean college golfing might be playing shorter, Courses they might be a little, softer rough might not be a stick you can get away with a lot more versus succeeding at a. Tour you're gonna have to be six for three and pound it and hit it three.
Speaker 1: Twenty so you, know, well well let's talk about the.
Speaker 3: Ams yeah, no that's that's my. Wheelhouse let's do.
Speaker 1: It we Got obviously you're gonna be high On.
Speaker 3: Haveland hobland is by far and away the cream of the amateur cropp this.
Speaker 1: Year he's, unbelievable he's.
Speaker 3: Been him And wolf haven't played that much together this season because of just them playing all these different pro, events but they're pretty neck and. NECK i Think wolf has a higher. Ceiling the Word i've gone Is wolf has a higher. Seat hoblin hits a little bit, shorter but has maybe a more well rounded game because he can't just rely on on pure. Distance BUT i DID i tweet something About. Wolf wolfe is under power of scorning average On park, Three's par four's And part, five so it's not like he's just like eating Up part. Five like he's got a good all around, game But. Hoblin hoblin has been pretty neck and neck with him the few times that they've played this. Season they're definitely like one two in the.
Speaker 1: Country he's obviously the class the kid From South africa that plays out Of. Auburn he's a good player.
Speaker 3: Too But ernielle's, nephew which is pretty. COOL i, know we the whole family stuff always gets, overblown but like it's kind of.
Speaker 1: Cool do you think That augusta is gonna oh oh rebela a little.
Speaker 3: In wake Of. Ernie, yeah it is kind of weird to think that He's ernielle's nephew And ernie won't be, there And.
Speaker 1: Ernie like JUST i mean he unloaded On.
Speaker 3: Augusta, YEAH i think there's just so much baggage, there just because that's the. THING i, mean the thing With RORY i always retort, with, LIKE i think he'll get. It he has so many. Chances but like everyone also assumed That norman And els would get.
Speaker 1: It there is And Wise coffin And, westwood.
Speaker 3: And everyone talks About westwood and all the close calls he had there is he? Listen does he know yet about? This is he gonna be listening to? This?
Speaker 1: NO i don't think he Knows Okay? Westwood, Yeah, NO i don't think he knows WHO i. Am he doesn't know who his biggest fan in the world is you KNOW.
Speaker 3: DECKI i think it's like With Hideki hitdecky knows WHO i. Am we know each, other BUT I i kind of ACTUALLY i hope that he doesn't actually see my, tweets LIKE i assume that he, doesn't which is one reason WHY i do, it BECAUSE i assume that he. DOES i hope someone's not, like, man you see what this guy tweeded, today and then he's just, like would be?
Speaker 1: Good what If Ernie ernie gets on the bag for him?
Speaker 3: Once WHEN i was wondering that would be?
Speaker 1: Cool, Right ernie doesn't even want to go, back, THOUGH i, mean how could he possibly do that after what he? Said i'll tell you. What this Is Carlos ortiz's, brother Al. Varro he can.
Speaker 3: Really, play And carlos is, caddying RIGHT i?
Speaker 1: Think? So, Yeah i'm pretty. Sure yeah, Yeah SO i, mean what would you place the odds On Haveland? Haveland uh low am.
Speaker 3: Uh i'm bad of making, odds But I'M i think that's a pretty strong.
Speaker 1: That like two to one.
Speaker 3: Probably probably unless they all just missed the, WELL i don't, yeah probably two to one for to, ONE i don't, know BUT i MEAN i, THINK i, THINK i think what else we? Got Devin bling was the runner up and he just waxed. HIM i, Mean hovelin is just by far the best pedigree of the. Group The japanese player who won the one The Asia pacific is pretty.
Speaker 1: Good oh yeah he.
Speaker 3: Is he won't finished second In Japan. Open he. DID i can't remember his.
Speaker 1: NAME i wanted To Takumi. Kanaya yeah. HE i think he did really well in The Australian open, Too yeah he, Did, yeah yeah. HE i mean think this is the. Thing so we got like a historically small field this.
Speaker 3: Year, yeah which is it's also probably. Good it looks like a thunderstorms in the. Forecast just a, hot thunderstormy week that's.
Speaker 1: Not good for. Golf means that it will be a bunch of leader board. Though, yeah if you were going to give one player an, exemption could be a young, kid could be could be a college, player could be a could be a wily vet who would.
Speaker 3: You already know my? ANSWER i already know my, answer an exemption into augusta, yeah Having Matthew wolf, Right.
Speaker 1: Ah, NO i don't. KNOW i would go with an old.
Speaker 3: GUY i would LOVE i mean the number one amateur in the, world Which wolf just took that spot From. Hoveling he gets into THE Us open and The British. OPEN i love to see him The masters. Too, yeah that's.
Speaker 1: TRUE i think that would be a good.
Speaker 3: MOVE i, mean professionals have had their chances to. Qualify wolf didn't even get to play in The master or in THE Us amateurs. Injured SO i think just to make, THAT i, mean he obviously would have finished first or second if he had, played SO i think to rectify. That augustine obviously should give him a special. Exemption.
Speaker 1: Yeah mark cow has been really good. Too Mark cow is like sleepy great.
Speaker 3: Worst finish this year is fifth in like ten.
Speaker 1: Events he's having like the greatest college season that nobody's noticing Because Matt.
Speaker 3: Wolfe uh, yeah but did you see my tweet About tiger's college scoring? Average m, hm So. Tiger When tiger won eight Times, collage that's the Record tiger And Matt, hill that's the Record Matt wolfe is going. For When tiger won eight times in his sophomore season At, stanford his scoring average was seventy point sixty. One that would rank fifty first in the. Nation this. Season wolf's scoring average is like sixty seven point, seven and so is More, cola and so Is hoblin up. There this it's, Wild it's it's a totally DIFFERENT i, mean obviously technology that has a big part to do with. It there are there's nineteen guys with a sub seventy scoring.
Speaker 1: Average that's that's absolutely.
Speaker 3: Crazy, yeah so it actually Goes wolf sixty seven point ninety, five More kawa sixty eight point, Four hovelin's sixty eight point.
Speaker 1: Seven what's amazing to me is that the scoring average and professional golf hasn't done, this like how they've been able to combat. It do you think it's because they think they golf manipulate the scoring as much at a college. Setup, YEAH i think.
Speaker 3: Professional golf you just, moved like you moved to a new. VENUE i, mean because you can go to bigger venues because they have more land also for you, know all that goes along with the professional. Event so you move from you, know like this week you move from loch In, terra which was like sixty seven sixty one hundred yard long part seventy TO Tpc San, antonio which is like seventy four seventy five hundred, yards whereas you, know they're playing courses here where they're just you, know a course isn't building Like New te's because they host a college event once a. Year.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah that's it's it's so, True so that that kind of explains, why, like, well like they've just lengthened courses or moved to bigger venues to keep the scoring At.
Speaker 3: BAY i, mean if guys played lock In terra this, WEEK i, mean it would be, gosh it would be we probably multiple scores in the fifties because even back, then guys are shooting a bunch of sixty ones and sixty.
Speaker 1: Twos m all, Right i'm gonna throw, Ah i'm gonna throw a couple questions at, you some rapid. Fires let's do it that? Work? Yeah you ready for?
Speaker 3: HIM i am all?
Speaker 1: Right who has a better? Finish ricky Or? Ram?
Speaker 3: Who? UH i? Am My my first instinct Is, Ricky BUT i feel like that might be. WRONG i feel Like rom's been really steady this, year and they both played pretty. Good ricky's, one, Obviously i'm Gonna i'm gonna Say, ricky all?
Speaker 1: Right xander Or? Fee?
Speaker 3: Now. Peta peta made few his Favorite.
Speaker 1: Okay that was.
Speaker 3: Crazy that was that was a little that was, high that was. AGGRESSIVE i am going to go both have cooled a little. Bit i'm gonna go Was Xander casey Or. Fleetwood i'm gonna Go. CASEY i just feel like he's a machine on that golf, course.
Speaker 1: All, Right and last one we'll do two, more two, more Go rory Or. Rose.
Speaker 3: RORY i think he'll just finish top ten. Again.
Speaker 1: Guaranteed, Hey rose is going to finish top ten.
Speaker 3: Too, yeah that's. RIGHT i Mean rose is crazy good. THERE I i Still i'm gonna go still.
Speaker 1: The, rory and then we'll Go tiger Or.
Speaker 3: Phil i'm gonna Go. Tiger phil's record there the last few years has not been that. GOOD i remember there's a there's been a few years WHERE i picked him because he was playing well and it just didn't end up.
Speaker 1: Well ever since he busted out the tin man, outfit thinks have gone. Awry favorite outfit of all. Time this is a ten man.
Speaker 3: Outfit David, POLTON i think it is who tweets out like really good old videos and. Photos had one today Of Tony jacqueline in like an all live green.
Speaker 1: Outfit, dude the style of players in like the eighties and seventies was so.
Speaker 3: Good, yeah oh, yeah it was.
Speaker 1: Unbelievable what do you think About tiger going with the.
Speaker 3: VACH i was looking at it because someone said it was a, blade and Then i'm, like, no this is the. Mock and THEN i, look he wore the mock in two thousand and, five so maybe he's just trying to channel his. FIVE i should have a question for. You this is a DEBATE i had With Sean. Zach he has that great podcast to pod on like any other where they watch Old. Masters he Calls tiger's chip on sixteen o five the greatest shot ever hit In master's. HISTORY i told him That Jeene sarazon would like to have a word with, him BUT i, THINK i, mean there is a point we got into where The Gene sarazen, ONE i, mean how you have to hit it really, well but there's a certain amount of. Luck The tiger one is just a death touch that people don't. Have SO i could make a case for. BOTH i still think that If twitter had been around for a guy making a double eagle on fifteen On sunday to force a, playoff, uh it would have. Exploded SO i still say, that BUT i CAN i could see why you can make a case For Tiger.
Speaker 1: Chippin, YEAH I. Uh the bigger QUESTION i would have with that is Was dustin's drive At kapalua greater than?
Speaker 3: That?
Speaker 1: No, YEAH i Would that's just that's actually like a really hard. QUESTION i, mean like you have to think The sarazen shot just because of how far away he, was think about the equipment he was using.
Speaker 3: From two thirty five and nineteen thirty.
Speaker 1: Five that's like the equivalent of like two seventy today right over. Water maybe more than.
Speaker 3: That, yeah if you mis hit that thing at, all it's going in the. Water you're not covering two thirty. Five well with a mis, hit if.
Speaker 1: You mishit, it might not even get to the. Water that's a good.
Speaker 3: Point that's what he's. Thinking IF i don't IF i don't hit this on the screws and short of the, water AND i just chip.
Speaker 1: Up that's. It THE i WAS i was reading something about an old tournament. YESTERDAY i was doing some uh some research For Flashback, friday and, uh and THE i was reading about a guy he missed from the. Fairway he missed a green forty yards, short AND i was thinking to, myself, like and he was in the, lead how is that even? POSSIBLE i.
Speaker 3: Could see it forty.
Speaker 1: Yards short of agreed from the.
Speaker 3: Faraway if YOU i, mean you're take an old nineteen Fifties wilson's staff and a marshallow ballata and you hit it on the. Toe it's not going.
Speaker 1: Anywhere, yeah it was a crazy, Miss like that miss was. Existent IT'S i, guess, YEAH i. THINK i, Mean tiger's shot was so. GOOD i think there are just like there's so many underrated shots right that get swept Like tiger's shot was, iconic but then there are like what About sergio's at fifteen the year he.
Speaker 3: Won hitting the? Stick, yeah, yeah it'd.
Speaker 1: Be and then you think about like when he hit the ball into the woods on thirteen that you're in and didn't lose.
Speaker 3: It, yeah THAT i, mean and Tied Justin, rose WHO i want to, say it's the. FAIRWAY i Think rose might have even Been rose on two or is right around the green and two he's just and they, tied and.
Speaker 1: Then and then he hit that shot on. Fifteen that shot on fifteen was one of the most amazing. Shots, Yeah i've seen because So tiger's chip right that that was a great, shot great, Touch it went in.
Speaker 3: Underrated. ONE i THINK i was lien to Shan zo's pot they're doing ninety seven WAS i want to say. That it Was tiger's first hole with Cal montgomery in the third, round and you Know monty had been kind of to had been kind of just Downplaying tiger's true, ability and So tiger sent it like eighty yards by him on the first, hole just send a. Message and Then tiger SHOT i think seventy And colmntgomery showt eighty.
Speaker 1: One the uh did you see that? THING i tweeted From peter's book about. That, no so. Manty so here's here's an. Excerpt this is From Joe peter's book twenty Nineteen Masters. Preview very good.
Speaker 3: READ i read.
Speaker 1: That it's a quick. Reread highly recommend. It it's it's like eleven bucks and On amazon and you'll get it before The. Masters he does this strokes gained. Analysis it's unbelieve. Stuff so here's from his. Book it took it only Took Colin, montgomery then the third rank golfer in the, world playing one round With tiger at The masters to go from a hopeful challenger eager to take on the young, pro to demoralized foe and true. Believer montgomery began the third round of the ninety Seven masters in second place and was and as, such was paired With, woods the tournament, leader after thirty six holes for their third. Round when he spoke to reporters afterwards that normally cocky and Brash scottsman stood twelve strokes Behind woods and was asked about the prospect Of woods blowing his nine shot, lead knowing that he just knowing what he'd just witnessed first, hand he, said there's no chance humanly. Possible reporters reminded him that just a year, Before norman had blown a seemingly insturmontal lead On, sunday to Which montgomery, Replied Greg norman's Not Tiger.
Speaker 3: Woods SO i was WHEN i never won a, major right, WELL i tweeted, Today tiger was the REIGNING Us amateur. Champion when he won by Twelve it'd be like If Victor holland rolled in the town and one by twelve. Shots it's.
Speaker 1: Wild so this is.
Speaker 3: The quote For monty that Got tiger fired. Up is From John stragie's Biography. Tiger When tiger first turned. Pro before the third, Round monty, says if he decides to do what he's, doing well more credit to. Him we'll all shake his hand and say well. Done But i've got more experience in major golf than he, has and HOPEFULLY i can prove. That and then, yeah he says The so then afterwards he, says ALL i have to say today is one brief. Comment this Is. Monty there's no. Chance we're all human beings, here but there's no chance humanly possible That tiger is just going to lose this. Tournament no. Way so after a brief, pause someone boldly asked why he would say. That montgomery says to the, reporter have you just come in or have you been? Away have you been on holiday and just? Arrived how about? This, yeah the shade that he throws At Greg norman was pretty. Strong but then Also Constantino, roka who played in the final group Of. Tiger rocca's quote before the final round was to CATCH i would probably need a, gun which is. LITTLE i know what he's, saying but let's.
Speaker 1: Do you imagine if you said that in today's. World, yeah like Like Constantine roca uh threatening to Kill tiger was young tour pro can't can't beat young young phenom on the, course so takes to. VIOLENCE i think about that all the, time all the stuff that people used to say that one would be just completely. Ridiculous and this is even like ten years.
Speaker 3: Ago uh, Yeah like if you watch.
Speaker 1: A comedy movie from ten years, ago you're, like what? Right but how is? This you know this would not be acceptable? Today, Right so, Hey I'm i'm gonna let you, go but we gotta get you on the. Hook who's your who's your?
Speaker 3: Pick uh hit? Day i'm gonna Go. RORY i think he gets it.
Speaker 1: Done you almost did it.
Speaker 3: Well hideki's a close, second BUT i couldn't pull the.
Speaker 1: Trigger he's you, know he's he's got good. Eyes at forty five could be a good.
Speaker 3: Yeah Jamie kennedy tweeted about. That he, said like this player at forty five to one and was like second in stroscreened approach like three straight top tens At augusta or. Something augusta is actually where The hideki things. STARTED i gotta tell the story real. Quick hideki was. Playing he won The asian. Amateurs so he's Playing augusta as an amateur and he shoot sixty eight in the third round pretty, early walks off the golf course like in the top fifteen, Maybe AND i go to another, Writer i'm, like, hey you gonna go Get hideki and he's, like, no one of our interns is going and get. Him and so then ever since, THEN i was, like, MAN i like not getting the respect he. Deserves he was if he was a nineteen year Old american collegiate, kid, like we'd be freaking. Out but so then that was MY i made my life's mission to uh to Give hideki the credit he was.
Speaker 1: Doing ever since, then The hidekie JUST i think that's the same WAY i feel About Sea. Wu But Sea wu's Not. Hideki, Unfortunately.
Speaker 3: No hidecki was top two hundred in the world ranking before he turned.
Speaker 1: Fro who's who's A are you most impressed? With SUNG?
Speaker 3: Jm that's another Guy i'm, Like, man If SUNG jm was like A jordan's, speed we'd be, like this is. Amazing, uh he's pretty. Impressive HE'S i, mean he's been very, Consistent he's been on the board a. Lot he hasn't had the best weekends like, closing but he's been knocking on the door the.
Speaker 1: Clusters he's getting into the. Clusters that.
Speaker 3: All you can do is get get into contention and then lets the chips ball where they. May.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah THAT'S i, mean that's all golf, is because the more times you're, there the more comfortable you, are the more chances you have.
Speaker 3: Winning is so. WEIRD i mean you think at a time where a guy is sitting in a clubhouse and some guy bod he's, eighteen and then that means the guy in the clubhouse, wins and it's like you had nothing to do with, that.
Speaker 1: Or just like the crazy bounces that. Happened we just talked About sergio when he found the ball in the woods he somehow avoided that was like we thought that you're watching that and you're, like, oh Here's sergio's, meltdown because there's always you, know there always was one in major and then, yeah it. Does think About phil from The Pine straw the one. Year, YEAH i saw That ernie that year shot the single greatest strokes gained final. Round yeah at The. Master, yeah and he lost To phil.
Speaker 3: Or Even DeMarco's chip in two thousand and. Five it had a little bit of, speed BUT i don't. Know it's got a good part of the hole and part of the.
Speaker 1: Stick Justin ray texted me a stat THAT i gotta gotta throw out. Here this is a, crazy crazy. Stat it's About Larry Larry. MICE i know you just appreciate. This So Larry mice has made two of the last four cuts of The.
Speaker 3: Masters porter tweeted this, out but go, on despite it's.
Speaker 1: Different, Okay Larry mice has made two of the last four cuts of The masters despite losing forty two shots to the field on t shots and approach.
Speaker 3: Shots, okay that was What. Porter porter tweeted cuts made in the last Five. Masters larry miyes Three tiger.
Speaker 1: Two he's lost forty two shots to the.
Speaker 3: Field so what's his strokes? Game putting like plus six?
Speaker 1: Round, yeah it's something. Astronomical that is.
Speaker 3: AMAZING i THINK i have it.
Speaker 1: Here he's, Uh Larry mice.
Speaker 3: Is uh what are these sixty?
Speaker 1: Now he's averaging a strokes gained a stroke gained per per round the last four. Years it's pretty. Good that, is it's really. Good but That Larry, mice the legend is he going to make the cut this? Year what is he?
Speaker 3: Now?
Speaker 1: Sixty that's a good, beat that's a good prop.
Speaker 3: BET i think he missed it last. YEAR i think he, FINALLY i think he made it last. Year did he really?
Speaker 1: Well he made It hagastads. YEAR i remember that because because The HAGASTAD i think was paired With steward and uh and.
Speaker 3: My mies missed it in twenty, eighteen finished fifty second in twenty, seventeen.
Speaker 1: And they made it in twenty. Sixteen, yeah, okay that's.
Speaker 3: All.
Speaker 1: Right, well, hey it's been it's been a. Pleasure i'm sure you'll Be. Uh i'll probably talk to you on one of the either this or the shotgun start before the end of the.
Speaker 3: Week sounds. Good i'll see In.
Speaker 1: Augusta safe, travels enjoy the, drive enjoy the. Solitude some pods the ache and one is really.
Speaker 3: Good, also if anyone's going To, agusta go Play Acing Golf club and listen to.
Speaker 1: Pod place is. Amazing, yeah place is really. Cool All, Right i'll talk to you, Soon. Sean thanks for the.
Speaker 3: Time good see. You