Speaker 1: You're listening to Comedy Central.
Speaker 2: From the most trusted journalists at Comedy Central's America's.
Speaker 3: Only sources for news.
Speaker 4: This is The Daily Show with your host dool say Foon. What about friends of the Daily Shown. We've got so much to talk about tonight.
Speaker 2: Trump's got himself a real New York jewelry, red lobsters in trouble Girl.
Speaker 4: And the newest Olympic sport is goyn ecology.
Speaker 3: So let's get to that line.
Speaker 2: Let's begin let's sports, all right, it's now just one hundred days into the Summer Olympics. When we find out which are the world's athletes, is most like a dolphin? So yesterday Nike unveiled the new Team USA uniforms, and one of the options for women's track and field is getting a lot of attention. Oh is this not getting your attention? Zoom in, zoomn right, we got your attention.
Speaker 1: Now look at this.
Speaker 2: That doesn't even come into a mannequin's pussy and she ain't even got one. This outfit should not be for Team USA, Team Brazilian atsolutely and what.
Speaker 4: Is the point of this?
Speaker 2: Are they trying to distract the other competitors folks just slamming in the hurdles like, oh, I forgot to jump.
Speaker 4: I was looking at that vagina. Don't nobody want to see this. What we want to see is that man from Tonga put it up.
Speaker 1: I miss you.
Speaker 2: In other sports news, NBA player John tay Porter recently got caught gambling on his own team and even faking injuries to influence bets, and today the NBA banned him for life. It's the harshest punishment the NBA can hand down, besides making you play for the Detroit Pistons. I mean, I guess it's easier to fake an injury than to play better, but still, fixing games is an unacceptable thing.
Speaker 4: For an NBA player to do.
Speaker 2: Now if it was the WNBA, I mean, listen, they are underpaid.
Speaker 4: You need a side hustle. You gotta do what you gotta do with this.
Speaker 2: Now, moving on, if you're going on a bad anniversary dinner.
Speaker 1: I got some news for you.
Speaker 2: Read Lobster is considering filing for bankruptcy, which is ironic because every customer in Red Lobster is already broke.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 2: The report says it's because of expensive leases and labor costs. But you know who I blame.
Speaker 5: Men.
Speaker 2: That's right, y'all aren't living up to Beyoncey standards. Y'all not your woman good enough to earn that trip to Red Lobster.
Speaker 4: That's what happened. Your dick game is weak and now an entire restaurant chain is going under.
Speaker 2: Should be ashamed of yourselves. But this doesn't affect me though. I get my seafood from the tank set an aquarium.
Speaker 4: Anyway.
Speaker 2: See, I'm dating this guy who gets into school again and cleans the glass.
Speaker 4: He brings me the best up. Have you ever had a luga?
Speaker 6: Well?
Speaker 4: Ooh, it's delicious.
Speaker 2: But let's move on to the big story, the trial of Donald cell Block Jay Trump and another edition of America's Most tremendously Wanted.
Speaker 4: The whole thing is a scam.
Speaker 2: The courthouse is on break today, you know, because it's Wednesday. So when they let out yesterday, Trump celebrated with a little tour of New York's hotspots.
Speaker 4: New York City may be heavily democratic, but former President Trump campaigns there anyway. Tuesday, visiting a bodega after.
Speaker 7: Jury selection in his Manhattan hush money trial wrapped up.
Speaker 4: For the day, movie star.
Speaker 8: It's going to be a movie star.
Speaker 5: Huh you.
Speaker 4: Are you kidding me? Donald Trump?
Speaker 2: You're gonna tell an immigrant father that his son should get into acting?
Speaker 4: What is wrong with you?
Speaker 2: As soon as you leave, the dad is gonna be like, don't you listen to that crazy man? You're taking a store over when I die. By the way, if you're from New York, you know it killed all those guys. Have Trump standing there in the store wasting everyone's time. That owner was two seconds from being like, hey, Donald, buy something.
Speaker 4: I get the fuck out now, I will say.
Speaker 2: I mean, I'm surprised Trump didn't hit up the lotto machine while he was there. Dude, owes over five hundred million dollars in fines. Can you imagine owing so much money that you have to.
Speaker 4: Hit Powerball just to get back to zero.
Speaker 2: Now, as for the actual trial, this week is all about picking a jury. And it might seem impossible to find twelve New Yorkers with an unbiased opinion of Donald Trump, but they're actually making some progress.
Speaker 9: This morning, seven jurors are sworn in to hear the historic criminal case against Donald Trump. So far, there are three women and four men. The Foeman's originally from Ireland and still has the accent.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, he better still have the accent. What's the point of telling me he's from Ireland if he doesn't have the accent. An irishman with no accent is just a white dude in America.
Speaker 4: It's funny how.
Speaker 2: The news can only point out someone's accent if they're white. You can be sure wolf Blitzer is never gonna be like he's originally from China and he still got the accent.
Speaker 4: No, wolf Blitzer, you're gonna get cancer. Friend, cancel and.
Speaker 2: Look, if you're gonna be found guilty, you want to hear it in an Irish accent.
Speaker 4: It's so pleasant and charming.
Speaker 2: He's like, looks like you're training in a pedigatus for some toilet wine.
Speaker 4: Me like, I don't know why we look for me to do an Irish accent. It sounds crazy.
Speaker 1: Anyway.
Speaker 4: Aside from Patty McGee, who else is on this jury.
Speaker 10: It's an interesting cross section of the kind of people in Manhattan.
Speaker 8: The jury of Donald Trump's peers.
Speaker 9: There's an oncology nurse who said no one is above the law. A teacher from a family of police officers said President Trump speaks his mind grandfather from Puerto Rico, who called Trump fascinating and mysterious.
Speaker 4: Fascinating and mysterious.
Speaker 2: He's got a chanel fragrance, and this dude is the least mysterious person in life. He tells us everything he's thinking. I know the names of all the people he's at sex with. I heard the details of what his penis looks like like.
Speaker 4: The only mysterious thing about.
Speaker 2: Him is what animal they made his wig out of. For more on the jury selection, let's go live to the courthouse with Josh John.
Speaker 1: Say, so, Josh, what's the rest.
Speaker 4: Of the jury gonna look like?
Speaker 7: Well, ideally they'll end up with a jury that represents New York and they already have a nurse, a teacher, and a Puerto Rican So now they just need a white woman who calls herself a witch and feels bad about gentrifying but definitely isn't moving. I'm told they're also looking for a subway masturbator and someone with a history, someone with a history of being stabbed or stabbing, and to represent the views of Staten Island, they're looking for firemen or a.
Speaker 4: Racist rais is a guess who ideally.
Speaker 7: Everybody, And of course they're definitely going to want a young black man who's nicely dressed, non threatening and standing outside the courthouse right now.
Speaker 4: Josh, are you trying to get them the jury?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 7: I mean, if I'm called upon, that's my civic duty to sure. Yes, yes, yes, I want to be on the jury.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, Josh, Why no one wants jury duty.
Speaker 4: The only people who don't.
Speaker 2: Get out of jeury jewy are the ones who are stupid or hate their families.
Speaker 7: Jokes on you will say I don't have a family or stupid, Yo, what Look, the point is in this economy. The point is in this economy you need steady work, and being on a Trump trial is the steadiest work. This gig could last met for decades.
Speaker 2: It's forty dollars a day. You can't make a living off that.
Speaker 7: That's because you're not factoring in the potential bride money. I'm not leaving anything on the table. Look, look, Trump, are you looking? Look Trump, I'm talking to you. Trump. Look now, hey boy, boy boy, look look at the TV. Now, for four hundred dollars, you walk free. For four point fifty, I'll put Stormy Daniels in jail. Okay, I don't even know if I can do that, but I'm gonna try. As long as I can walk out of that courtroom with a check and a mink coat.
Speaker 2: You can't pull off a meat coat. You're gonna look like a pre Pewbethan kat Williams. So you don't care about this trial. You just want to be on the jury for selfish reasons.
Speaker 7: Yeah, obviously this thing's a cash cow. All these jurors are gonna get book deals, daytime TV appearances. At least one of them is gonna be on the mass singer and I think I have what it takes to be a sexy wombat.
Speaker 4: It's not easy money.
Speaker 2: Being part of a high profile trial is exhausting.
Speaker 7: Not this one. I can nap whenever Trump is napping. I'll dip my head when he dips his head. I'll bop up when he bops up. As long as we snore in rhythm, nobody will notice.
Speaker 2: Josh be serious. The leading presidential candidate is on trial. Isn't there a chance that he might finally face justice?
Speaker 6: Oh?
Speaker 4: Thanks justice?
Speaker 3: And yet I said, Josh dropping everybody.
Speaker 4: When we come back, we'll drink wine. Some don't call it. Welcome mess to the Daily Show. Let's talk about wine.
Speaker 2: You might think that it's mostly for white people, but once again you're wrong.
Speaker 4: I went to a far off land to show you why.
Speaker 2: I have been watching white people drink wine and pretending to know what the hell of tanning is for decades. But they're not the only ones who want to get wine drunk on a weekday and call it a book club. Luckily, there are black owned businesses who are kicking in the trailers on this exclusive industry.
Speaker 3: So look in the wine country.
Speaker 2: I was going in shit to learn more about shattering the wineglass ceiling. I met up with Chuck and Latanya Island, owners of Pop the Cork Wine Tours, a black owned company that guide spokes from Atlanta straight to wine town.
Speaker 4: So how did y'all get into doing wine tours?
Speaker 5: Did you just wake up? One? Dango? O?
Speaker 4: I love one. I wish I could have other people come with me and drink it anywhere we travel.
Speaker 11: First thing I want to know is where is wine country and where are the spas? So when we came here and I started asking around where's wine country? We stumbled up on all of these wineries.
Speaker 5: Here, but nobody in Atlanta knew about the wineryes.
Speaker 2: He didn't know open this northern tier that was about thirty eight to forty wineries.
Speaker 5: What from grapes? Yes?
Speaker 2: Are there a lot of other black people doing wine tours.
Speaker 11: We were one of the first. The last I'd say three to four years, it has started to really explode.
Speaker 2: So it's getting a little bit more colorful, like to SI.
Speaker 4: The clientele has changing it.
Speaker 2: Yes, were there any people that came up to do a tour with y'all and were like.
Speaker 4: Hey, hello, why do we get the car.
Speaker 5: Now?
Speaker 2: I gotta get something off my chest. I'm very excited to support black businesses. But I do have a confession.
Speaker 4: I don't like wine. I've never liked wine. Why do I want to drink grape juice?
Speaker 2: You have taken the sugar out of grape juice that you have made dance on a pole.
Speaker 5: That's the reason for wine tours. We take you out to sample wine to learn how to drink it.
Speaker 4: And how to properly taste the wine. But I've had a ton my whole life.
Speaker 5: But we're gonna like open up correctly.
Speaker 4: He listen, y'all are a nice couple. You're not gonna show them how to use my tongue. Okay, Wow, people have a wine country moved fast.
Speaker 2: I guess they're gonna try out some of this stuff on myself.
Speaker 4: Our first one is a sharp knack.
Speaker 7: This is gonna be a real treat for you.
Speaker 5: Okay.
Speaker 4: This one pair is very well with shrimp and grits.
Speaker 5: And with that shrimp and grits you have shard and knee.
Speaker 7: We just can give you a little taste.
Speaker 5: This actually opens that wine up for the bouquet inside the glass. Now smell it here. You want to take a little bit in your mouth. You want to add action by sucking it up through that. I'll show you.
Speaker 4: I'm like a man telling me a slurp.
Speaker 5: Takes a little smoother, I guess. So it takes a little getting used to.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, it takes some getting used to.
Speaker 5: Chuck chuck, no ship sick.
Speaker 2: Okay, So slow drinking does not come naturally to me. When do we get to the food park.
Speaker 11: When you're growing up in Italy, you pair your wine with the food. This pear is very well with cheese.
Speaker 4: Cheese, Air out this cheese.
Speaker 1: Did you hear it?
Speaker 5: Now? Hit your wine again, I stood, don't like it.
Speaker 4: What's the heck? Damn, this one's driving my legs on a winter d Well. We're gonna get something sweet.
Speaker 11: So this is wine infused with chocolate. You just need a little bit, you know, after your dinner, just like an apple teeth.
Speaker 5: There you go.
Speaker 4: They because I yell like this, don't mean I don't know shit.
Speaker 11: Do you like it?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Because it's sweet? We are fast. Okay.
Speaker 2: So I didn't succeed in expanding my palate, but at least I support the black owned business. Besides, you got em brains what you like, and I like chocolate wine.
Speaker 4: To check the wine to chocolate wine. It's great to know the wine towards are getting more diverse, But what about the people actually.
Speaker 1: Growing the grapes?
Speaker 4: Are they black wineries in the area?
Speaker 11: So there are not. When we look at the whole country, there's about eleven thousand plus wineries across the country. Just about one percent are black owned.
Speaker 4: Damn only one percent.
Speaker 2: That gives me an idea. I gotta open up my own black owned venue. Wouldn't that make white as sweet as me? Introducing a new glench straight out of duel, says.
Speaker 4: The chocolate wine appairs perfectly with a chocolate man. Could you taste guide you down a sugary river of nu duel sat wine? Up, we ain't got none of that draw shit.
Speaker 2: When we come back, Orlando Bloom, we're we joining me on the show, so don't bowway.
Speaker 4: Welcome back to the Daily Show. My guest tonight is.
Speaker 2: An actor and adventure enthusiast who has a new limited docu series called Orlando Blow Them to the Edge.
Speaker 3: Please welcome Orlando Blue.
Speaker 10: Hi everyone, that's a nice that's a nice warm response.
Speaker 5: Hi everyone, Oh.
Speaker 4: You got interviewed before. I don't act like you've never had.
Speaker 8: A million people like.
Speaker 4: You haven't been hacked in as long as most of you people have been alive.
Speaker 2: Okay, So I just saw you jumping out of a plate, out of a plan, out of out of a plane. You know you need your face for work, right, Orlando. Mister Orlando Bloom? Why are you jumping down the plane with a batsuit on.
Speaker 5: With auit but a bad suit on?
Speaker 4: Flying squirrel?
Speaker 8: The flying squirrel?
Speaker 2: You got your jumping out planes like flying squirrels with a parachute wiffering?
Speaker 10: Well, because I didn't get any takes on me doing like a longevity show where or we get to like, you know, meet people who live.
Speaker 8: Long and prosper I kind of had that idea. It was like it was.
Speaker 10: COVID when like I felt really the palpable level of fear around me. I don't know about you, but I was like, if I get out of this, I want to do something that shows how people live in such a way that they could survive this, right, But like I said, nobody bit on that.
Speaker 8: But they said, how about we throw you out of a plane.
Speaker 10: How about we throw you to the bottom of the ocean.
Speaker 8: And upper mountain. So I was like, okay, that works.
Speaker 2: So you came up with an idea during the roney as if you like to call it, where we were in a panasonic you know, and you were like, man, I would love to talk to people about just you know, how do I become you know, a person who lives.
Speaker 4: To be one hundred years old? And then yeah, networks were like.
Speaker 2: No, I don't nobody care about that, but can't we see you risk your life now what everyone.
Speaker 8: Was like, that's exactly what it was.
Speaker 4: Yeah, okay, and so don't you have children because it's because it.
Speaker 2: It was me if if I miss Katery Perry and I got a baby at home, I'm like, sir, if you don't sit down, why for what? Oh?
Speaker 8: God love you.
Speaker 10: Yeah, she's she's amazing, super We both support each other immensely. But look, obviously perhaps she didn't know exactly quite the lengths I'd be going to until I kind of came home freaking out, sweating and going like, erh that was real and a lot, but I think, you know, I hope that Like for me, it was like this was an opportunity to kind of get super capable, super focused, and actually these remarkable athletes that taught me all these incredible things. You see, Luke Aitkins was the guy who taught me to to wing suit, and Camille Jabar was taught me to free dive with Will Treuebridge. And then there was this amazing adaptive climber named mo Beck who was born with one hand and claimed exactly what I climbed, like, these are people with an incredible skill set, and I kind of felt like, well, if I could learn instead of being this like impulsive kid that I kind of always said been in like that was when I got into trouble, you know, like flying around on my motorcycle thinking I could do anything and then not knowing the protocols or not knowing exactly.
Speaker 8: It was like an education in.
Speaker 10: Becoming super present, super capable and able to like push through. What I think was, you know, an edge for me. Now listen for other people. Their edges a little different, you know. But it was like it wouldn't necessarily play on TV in the same way.
Speaker 4: Well, my edge is being a black woman in America.
Speaker 5: So but there you go.
Speaker 8: You only have to step out the house, right.
Speaker 2: I walk outside, and I'm like, man, this is extreme, this is real. I hope I make it back tonight black at Alta. I might meet Jesus far across the street. So you went wing suited, yeah, rock climbing, free diving. Yeah, Now I thought diving didn't cost any money?
Speaker 4: What what is what is free diving?
Speaker 10: It's so I basically swam to I ended up at about one hundred and two feet thirty seven meters.
Speaker 8: I guess it's like one.
Speaker 10: Tenth of the the Chrysler building, or ten floors maybe you can think of it ten floors. I swam to ten floors on one breath. And down in back.
Speaker 4: So it was it five down and five up or was it ten.
Speaker 8: Down and ten up, ten down and ten up.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so it's like two hundred feet up there, okay. And so it's free diving called that because it's free of air? Is that why?
Speaker 2: Because you don't have like a there's no snorkel, there's no scooping.
Speaker 4: There's just it's just you and.
Speaker 8: You and your breath and the and the great deep beyond.
Speaker 5: Wow.
Speaker 8: Pretty scary. I mean, it's a.
Speaker 10: Weird feeling because you're you're literally like you know, I mean, and I'm not claustrophobic and I love the ocean. But there was a lot of technical stuff with like you know, equalizing, and I had a mask, and I mean, you know, it was it was challenging, but we got there and it was and I only had like a week to kind of do that. I mean, I learned to I learned to hold my breath. I kept doing these techniques. So Camilla, who was training me, taught me these breath routines and ways to sort of exhale whole breath out to build up this co two, which is what you feel most uncomfortably when you're underwater and then holding your breath for an extended period of time.
Speaker 8: I mean, it's it is unnatural.
Speaker 6: It's not saying that, like I definitely wouldn't recommend it just to kind of go do that, you know, but but it was like I think I got a lot from it.
Speaker 2: So like, so you learned on my breath, So you learned a lot from this experience of all way, I'm almost not making it out of these experiences. Yeah, what do you felt like you learned in those places we were at those momentary Just like I'm like right on, because like, did you reach the was the edge?
Speaker 5: Death?
Speaker 4: Was the edge?
Speaker 7: I think it's close to it.
Speaker 10: I think I say in this show, I never feel more alive when I'm as close to death. And I think that I had that feeling of you know, if you if you're in in a really intense moment, a really intense situation.
Speaker 8: And I had these incredible teachers.
Speaker 10: If I follow the protocol, if I just follow what I've learned, if I trust, if I let go all of those ideas of like being rhythm, being like trust the universe, trust this is on my path, Trust that like I'd learned everything, Trust that Luke who taught me, for example, with the free diving that I was capable to wingsuit after twenty five jumps, which is when I got my A license.
Speaker 8: So we're not sure.
Speaker 10: We're not sure anyone really has done it on the twenty sixth jump wingsuiting because it's a particularly terrifying kind of experience when you don't have a huge amount of experience.
Speaker 8: But yo, but I kind of had.
Speaker 10: I felt like being present, really present, and maybe that's something that I'll take back. Hopefully that's something that I am taking back to my family, like being more present or grateful, more like appreciative of life.
Speaker 8: I guess.
Speaker 4: That's amazing.
Speaker 2: Because the idea of being more present is the thing that's always I mean, it's we're here, I'm a present, You're welcome.
Speaker 4: But but I.
Speaker 2: Guess the id because like how it is you You're a gift.
Speaker 4: Look at God.
Speaker 8: Thank you so much.
Speaker 2: And if you have any nice friends, I want to meet me. You know, we can talk about that letter, mister Bloom. But I do wonder like, was there anything that got you? I guess like being in those moments, it feels like it's probably a very spiritual experience when you're that close to just.
Speaker 10: Yeah, so I yeah, definitely when you're that close to death. And I've had this Buddhist practice in my life since I sixteen, so I chan't aw me and get killed, which has been a really wonderful philosophy in my life and something like kind of an anchor for me. Really, So I I I actually you see me chant a little bit of that, and it's something that I would say, help me to deal with the voices in my head telling me that I was insane or that I might die.
Speaker 4: You know, that's survival, sir, that's your body gone breathe.
Speaker 8: Yeah, yeah, exactly, bro.
Speaker 10: Which, by the way, when you're doing that, you are breathing. But I think you know in a way. Yeah, it's it was very focusing and grounding and and because you're in like these hyper tense situations.
Speaker 8: I liked it. It helped. I'll use it again. I use it now.
Speaker 2: You're an actor who's been a part of huge franchises. Yeah, the read The Powers of the Caribbean. But like this is a docu series, so there's no because like I'm also a trained actor. When I started doing stand up, it scared me because I'd never been on stage, and it wasn't me being a character bringing someone else to life, and there were someone else's words. So how did it feel to be on camera but you weren't playing someone else and you were very being very true to yourself and presenting yourself kind.
Speaker 10: Of vulnerable and terrified. Yes, it was a lot, to be honest. I never thought of doing anything like this, you know. I wasn't thinking I want to do an unscripted show and I want to do some kind of action adventure thing.
Speaker 8: It wasn't in my in my thinking.
Speaker 10: It just was something that became part of my journey, which I'm grateful for. But it was like, definitely, I was I had a certain amount of like, am I going to say something really silly all the time or just part of the time, And I am I gonna sound like I know anything about anything?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 10: So that was that was That was also I think a massive I'm grateful for that question. It was a massive part of the equation because whilst doing these insane things was insane and challenging, like overcoming some of the things in my mind that prevented me from even thinking anything I had to say was going to work. For an unscripted show, because, as you point out so rightly, I've worked on some great characters and great writers. And when you have a dialogue, you know from a character that's been written. Now, it's there's there's there's choices that you make. But when you're just riffing, it's like, as you know, you can't really know it.
Speaker 8: Is that gonna look.
Speaker 10: So it was that was another element to it that I kind of had to learn to.
Speaker 5: Embryce, that's amazing.
Speaker 4: I'm so excited for you for this project.
Speaker 8: Thanks, you love him.
Speaker 5: I will love it.
Speaker 4: I love to watch you.
Speaker 5: I love you.
Speaker 4: We're gonna take a play let back after it for tonight now here.
Speaker 5: It is our moment. That's good.
Speaker 10: We'll let the record show that mister Raskins could not answer the question, Biden, but.
Speaker 4: Let me start with this.
Speaker 8: My last name is Raskin.
Speaker 1: Okay, we've sat next to each other for more than a year. You don't have to add the ask.
Speaker 7: Explore more shows from the Daily Show podcast universe by searching The.
Speaker 9: Daily Show wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 7: Watch The Daily Show weeknights at eleven.
Speaker 4: Ten Central on Comedy Central, and stream full episodes anytime on Paramount Plus. This has been a Comedy Central PODCASTOW