Speaker 1: New products from Apple, including a new iPad Pro and a new MacBook Air. Embracing our new lives at home due to coronavirus, plus your tech questions answered. What's going on? I'm Rich Damiro and this is Rich on Tech, the podcast where I talk about the tech stuff I think you should know about and I answer the questions that you send me. My name is Rich Dmiro, tech reporter at KTLA Channel five in Los Angeles. Joining me is producer Megan. How's it going? Let me bring this down and bring you up?
Speaker 2: Hello, you know it's going.
Speaker 3: This is an interesting new normal that we're all just you know, adjusting to.
Speaker 1: Yeah, kind of crazy. I'm in my home, Megan is in her home trying to do this. We're also Facebook living this, so we are saying hello to everyone that's listening on Facebook Live that or I should say, watching on Facebook Live. And of course I just heard the little comments. So every time someone does one of those little like thumbs up, you hear it on the show anyway, So that's fun. Yeah, there it goes again. So I got to figure out how to get that off anyway. Oh, mute sound effects. There we go. So, how are you adjusting. We are working halfway from the station, halfway home. It's very interesting for sure. Oh no, they're still there. And I don't know what to say. I mean, I've got my kids at home, I've got my wife at home, and it's pretty wild. It's like a very different experience.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I feel like every day it's changing. We're just like, you know, it's just all so crazy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it is crazy. And your whole family home, I'm guessing as well, Yes they are. And then so you know, and now California is on this crazy like shutdown. So we were watching that on TV yesterday. I mean, it's just every day it seems like something else changes. Let's get to the first story. New MacBook Air. So I know that tech news has taken sort of a backseat to you know, this crazy virus that is, you know, making its way through all of the world. But there was some tech news this week and Apple released a new MacBook Air. Now, normally we'd go up to Cooper Tino for a big event and you would, you know, have Tim Cook up on stage. None of that happened because guess what, we're in crazy time. So they just put out a press release. They put out the MacBook Air and it's now ninety nine dollars, so got a one hundred dollars price cut, it got two times of performance, a new keyboard, and twice the storage. So that's the headline, and realistically, I think they did a great job of making this a computer that is now very desirable for a student or a college student, because that price point is nine ninety nine, which one hundred dollars cheaper than before. Before it was eleven hundred. And the reality is anything over one thousand, mentally is really tough to comprehend, and so nine ninety nine is just a nice magic number, right, That's why everything is ninety nine cents, you know, three ninety nine. But if you're a student, you can actually get this for eight ninety nine, so nine hundred bucks, and I get it. That's way more expensive than like your typical five hundred dollars Windows computer, but you're getting a Mac and it's really nice magic keyboard, which means the keyboard is going to be way better than before. It's the keyboard that I use on my current MacBook Pro, which is the Magic keyboard, and it's really good. And it also has double storage, so two hundred and fifty six versus one twenty eight. And I think that's all you need to know about it. So there you have it, all right, Producer Megan, it is time for your first question.
Speaker 3: Okay, So our first question comes from Claudia Hi Rich. I saw your story about expanded sell and internet service during the next two months due to COVID nineteen. But what about security? What should we be looking for to be safe online? Especially since schools are now online and most of our activities exercise to shopping are online. How do we not become a victim during this time of increased accessibility and increased use.
Speaker 1: Okay, great question, and this is something that I actually am working up a story on. But yes, everyone's working at home and this company, my Fi, they have some executives that I asked this question too because of your email and a couple things. Number one tips to secure your home network, They say Wi Fi access points. You know the SSID like the thing you connect to. They say to change your settings to hide your SSID. So normally in your house at broadcasts, if you go on your phone and you look at all the kind of networks around you, you can see all your neighbor's networks. So of course that's much easier to hack because now you can just connect to that network if you can figure out the password, and now you're on the network. So if you hide that SSID, that means that hackers can't see your network. And that doesn't mean they can't detect it, but they can't see it, and so that makes it a little bit tougher for them. Obviously, you want to use Wi Fi Protected Access, so WPA or WPA two if you haven't done that. Make sure that your password on your Wi Fi network is long and random so it can't be cracked. Do not use the default password. And this is my favorite. Use a guest network because when I have babysitters come to the house, I have them connect to the guest network. The reason I do that is because they don't have access to all of the things on my network, which are the smart lights and the computers and the storage, and I don't not that I don't trust them, but it's just easier also to manage those guests that are on your network. So that is my recommendation, as well as the recommendation from this company, which is let's see in Sego in sego slash my fi and the other thing that a lot of people are wondering, do they need a VPN when they're working at home? Don't necessarily need a VPN. If your company requires it, obviously you should be using that, and in many cases you can't access your company's files unless you're on that VPN. But the reality is for just personal stuff, you probably don't need a VPN. So good question for our first one of the day. All right, let's get to the second story of the day. Apple unveils a new iPad pro.
Speaker 2: So.
Speaker 1: I told you there was a couple of new products out there, and this is Apple, and this is the iPad pro. So iPad pro is obviously, this is going to appeal to kind of the business traveler, the high end folks. Nobody's business traveling right now. But they're making this closer and closer to a good laptop replacement. And I think they're doing a really nice job because the main headline of the iPad pro is that it now has a trackpad support. So now that the keyboard cover has a little trackpad, you know, a little thing you put your fingers on and move them around. And I think that's really crazy because Apple always said like, we would never do that. But of course they've they backtracked on the whole stylus thing. Now they're backtracking on the track pad thing. But the bottom line on the iPad Pro is that it has a new chip that's faster. They say it's faster than most Windows PC laptops out quite the burn there. It's got an ultra wide camera and studio quality mic. So, Megan, if we got these, we can convince Katla to get us these iPad pros. We can just record our podcast without any external equipment. All we need is the iPad Wow, and how cool will that be? So the microphone built in, they're saying, is as good as your studio quality mic that you have right now. It also has LDAR, which is it's kind of like a a did you hear that? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Was that you?
Speaker 1: Yeah? That's y U great, that's that's my family. We have this giant group chat on Telegram. And when my family starts chatting, oh boy do they chat. They will chat four hours. It's basically a twenty four to seven chat. So I just muted that one and the lightar on the back side of the iPad gives you new augmented reality possibilities. Now, if you're thinking of getting one of these iPad pros and thinking that you might replace your laptop with it, well it's not cheap. The base configuration is an eleven inch for eight hundred bucks, and that has one hundred and twenty eight gigs of storage. Then you go up to the twelve point nine inch model, which is a really nice size for a iPad. That's one thousand bucks. Then then, by the way, Megan, you still have to get the keyboard, so the Magic keyboard is three hundred to three point fifty. Then after you get the keyboard, you still have to get the iPad pencil or the Apple pencil. That's another one hundred and twenty nine. So let's do the math real quick. You were good at math, right, So add this up for me ready eight hundred. This is for the smaller one. Eight hundred plus three hundred plus one thirty. That's eleven twelve thirty, twelve thirty, twelve hundred and thirty dollars.
Speaker 2: Whoa wow, that's a lot. That's a little bitulous.
Speaker 1: I just paid three grand for my MacBook and so you know, and if it could replace everything I could do on there. That's not bad. And I love the idea of having an iPad for everything. This has been my dream. I can't get away from my computer because I just love having the file rystem. Yeah, being able to write, and it's just it's just nice. Yeah. But I would drop my laptop in a second for an iPad. Drop your laptop, Oh heck yeah, I would totally go full Dropping my laptop is what caused me to get my trade in value went from six fifty to two hundred bucks when they got it because I dropped it once on my desk and there's a tiny little ding, So don't actually drop your laptop.
Speaker 2: No, A good idea.
Speaker 1: All right, I think we're getting into the swing of things here.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 3: Our next question comes from Janet hi Rich. I watch you on the morning news regularly. I am a teacher and have lots more time to watch.
Speaker 2: This weekend, I saw you show.
Speaker 3: A virtual museum tour page that I cannot find on your website or the KTLA website.
Speaker 2: Can you help?
Speaker 3: I'd like to send it to students and my parents, all of whom are looking for things to.
Speaker 2: Do at home.
Speaker 1: Oh, this is a funny thing that happens when you're on TV. By the way, no matter what story that's on KTLA, if it has to do with technology, guess who presented it you Yeah, but no matter what, Like I didn't mention this at all on TV, But no matter whatever tech story that's on there, it's it's me. So I look this up and I you know, I actually looked it up in our script system at work to see what was mentioned, and it's actually Google has this thing called arts and Culture. So it's arts and Culture dot Google dot com, and there you have. You can go through a whole lot of stuff. It's amazing you can look through, you can explore everything. I mean, there's museums, there are places like here's what's trending this week's most popular skip the queue at the Metropolitan Museum of Art. So you just click there and you can be touring the met in New York City and you can look at the all the exhibits. There's twenty eight online exhibits, including Coco Chanel, Christian Dior, Baroque, v Oz. There's all kinds. There's two hundred things you can look at in there. So that's what she was talking about. Arts and culture dot Google dot com. And that's pretty cool. I mean, I I really cool. You know you don't have kids just yet, but let me tell you. Entertaining kids at home, I will tell you this is this has been the most amazing part. It's it's very chaok. In my house, obviously, we're all working from home. We do little kids and my kids are doing zoom, my wife is doing zoom on doing a podcast. I mean it's crazy, like the bandwidth you need to get this done is really crazy. But I will tell you the most magical thing is sitting there doing lessons with my kid. Because I don't really teach my kid. I just let the teachers do that. But sitting there doing his review worksheet worksheets, it's kind of amazing to watch to see what your kids know. And that has been really eye opening because watching my kid do math is just really fun as a parent, like, wow, this little kid has like all this knowledge in his head. Like it's kind of cool.
Speaker 2: No, it's fascinating. That's so fun.
Speaker 1: So speaking of coronavirus, you know, I call it CV because I hate even saying the word at this point because it's like this thing has affected us in ways that like, what the what the heck is going on? But speaking of CV our story on KTLA today, and some of you might notice by the way that I no longer have a personal website. A lot of you been emailing me. I've gone through some changes with that and actually today, Megan, what are you drinking over there? It's a oh nice, I'm having some vodka in a water bottle.
Speaker 2: Oh nice. Well that's yeah typical.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's pretty standard. But it says body armor, so it looks like I'm having something healthy. No, I'm just kidding. It's actually just water. It's just water. But this water bottle is unique because it's really meant for like athletes because look at that wide opening, so you can like really get like a lot of water at once. So it's like it's like really to quench your thirst. And I've literally done minimal workouts since I've been stranded here.
Speaker 2: I don't believe that.
Speaker 1: Well, okay, that's that's I did. I actually did the the Planet Fitness online workout that they're doing their live streaming at like seven pm every day, So I put up YouTube and like I just did the workout just to try it out. So We're going to do a story on all these fitness companies that are doing at home workouts. It was great and it wasn't really hard, but it was great. And then today I'll probably go for a run. But the Planet Fitness people were telling me that they actually have tanning beds in their gyms. So they were like, oh, Planet Fitness sucks because they have tanning beds, which I had to look up, which I think is kind of odd in today's day and age for like, you know, you know all this stuff about tanning. I mean, you went through the tanning face, what you went through your tanning bed face? But you've given that up, right, I've.
Speaker 3: Never I've never done it.
Speaker 1: You've never done that. I'll advance actually did it once. I did it once, and it was when I when I first started at KTLA. I moved from oh no, sorry k Cal, I think it was, and I moved from like the middle of nowhere, and I felt like I didn't fit in in LA without a tan and so actually I actually went once and it was like the most humiliating experience. I never did it again. But now they just now.
Speaker 4: I realize, well now I realized they just give you the you know, the bronzer, Yeah, the bronze or whatever, and they can do whatever they want in the makeup room.
Speaker 1: You know, it's right. Okay, So some of the freebies companies are offering. This was our story on KTLA. And by the way, if you want to see my new kind of new website thing, it's uh uh what is it? It's links dot rich on tech dot tv. So you can check it out, Megan. It's actually kind of cool. I set it up today and I'm now paying like I think it's like six bucks a month for this little website. But it really it's nice. It's like very well designed, it's simple, but it just gets you to because my whole thing, and this is to kind of complete the story my whole My whole thing about rich on tech dot TV was to make it easy for viewers when they see me on TV to find my story. And we are on a whole bunch of different stations across America, and so that's why I can't necessarily say KTLA dot com slash tech because that'll bring you to our story. So the whole thing of rich on tech dot TV was that I wanted to make sure people can find the stories I mentioned, because it's my pet peeve when you see someone on TV say, oh, just go to our website and find the story, and you can't. So that's that's why did it. Okay. So here's a couple of things that I talked about today on TV that you can get for free while you're stuck at home. Zen Caster. If you've ever wanted to start your own podcast, zen Caster is lifting the limits on its basic plan through July first, which you can do an entire podcast right from your computer with them. Miro Drop. If you want to send a large file for work, miro drop will let you send up to a ten gigabyte file, and that's pretty large, so oh wow. You know, if you need to send a file for work or whatever, that's there. Trip it Pro. If all your all my flights have been canceled in the next couple of months are changed, trippet Pro will actually help you keep track of that, and you can get a free subscription to that right now for six months if you sign up before March thirty first. Peloton, I don't have a Peloton bike. In fact, the exercise bike that I talked about in this podcast that I ordered is it's like so back ordered that it's like, what's going on here? And if this would have been perfect timing, but it's still not arrived, so I haven't done well.
Speaker 2: What was it called? The bike that you you ordered?
Speaker 1: The bike that I ordered was the Bowflex C six, And I also noticed they raise the price on it, so demand must be so high that they actually up the price by fifty bucks. So when I ordered it, it was eight ninety nine. Now it's nine hundred and fifty dollars, so oh WOWK Peloton, you can use the Peloton app. They're giving that free for thirty days or for ninety days. Normally it's thirty, it's ninety. Then there's an app called Caribou cr Ibu. This lets you connect your kids on a virtual plate eate so you can connect this with grandma and you can read a book across the app, so it's kind of like FaceTime, but you can read a book. So talk about that for a second, Meggan, So I'm gonna clear my throat here, so give your thoughts on that.
Speaker 3: I think that's so cute that you can like read a book with your grandma or your aunt or your uncle.
Speaker 2: I love that.
Speaker 3: Are your kids using that.
Speaker 2: Are you still clearing it?
Speaker 1: They are not. They have not used it, but I may try it. The problem is getting your kids. Getting grandma to install that app is probably the biggest challenge. But the mark on the Facebook chat says, what was the new website for Rich? I Eventually it'll just still be rich on tech dot tv, but it'll bring you to this other website. But just go to links dot rich on tech dot tv and that should bring you to the new site. It's pretty cool, so just I mean it should some people. Here's the problem with the website. If you went to my old website and you try to go to rich on tech dot tv, it's currently giving you an error because your browser is thinking it's not finding the redirect. But if you're new and you've never been to my website and you go to rich on tech dot tv, it should work and bring you to the new one. But if you just go to links dot rich on tech dot tv, that's working all right. The other thing is kina do k I n E edu. This one's really good. If you have really little kids under four, you type in their age and all their stuff and their day to birth and it will give you activities for them daily, which is kind of cool. Sling TV is encouraging folks to stay and sling. This is kind of like their Netflix and Chill. You can actually watch a whole bunch of stuff on their website without logging in or signing up. It's watch dot sling dot com and no sign up, really easy Headspace. They're giving their meditation app free to any teacher in the US and healthcare professionals. And we actually messed up a little bit about Megan with our tags today. With our wraps, we mentioned the healthcare professionals only, and I actually kind of got that wrong. It's all teachers as well. So if you have a teacher or a school administrator or any support staff in the US, if you work at a school, you basically get Headspace for free. And I would say one hundred percent get that because I like that. And yes, Courtney recommends clear cash and cookies and then rich on tech dot tv will work. I tried that on my computer. It's still not working. I think I have to do a full reset on my browser. Apple News Plus not necessarily anything special for the free trial. Well it's just a month, but they have all kinds of magazines, and I would say, if you have never done one of the Apple News Plus subscriptions for free, take advantage right now. Thirty days is amazing. So that's pretty good. And then Go Noodle has some free stuff as well. We've featured one of their things. But the Sling TV experience is really cool. It's the real deal. I mean, it's not bad at all. Molin says, I am a teacher. Can you type in the link? Yes? Let me see if I can do this. So let's go to links dot rich On. I had like a little tiny browser and it's not working. So here, I think I can actually go in here and type stuff. So I think I can comment if I comment here, if I add a comment, boom, Let's see if that works. Did that work?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 1: I can add things to the broadcast too, which is kind of cool. So oh, I forgot that I can actually do this. Watch this, Megan, Are you watching the broadcast?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm watching on my phone. It's just it's delayed for me.
Speaker 1: See that now it's gonna It's got that. I forgot that I can do this. This is actually part of the most fun thing. So if you go to there and then click on the first story, it will have it. I have like one hundred thousand windows open right now, so it's tough for me to do anything. But I think it's working. I mean I think people are there.
Speaker 2: It loaded on my phone.
Speaker 1: Okay, perfect, Okay, you know what that sound means. And if you guys type in the wittiest comments, I'll start putting them on screen too. So do we lose Megan though? Oh no, we lost you and I did that there were You're back?
Speaker 2: Okay, I'm back, yep, okay.
Speaker 3: This next question comes from Cynthia. I have several old computer laptops that I don't know what to do with. I seem to recall you.
Speaker 1: Oh, hold on, Megan, it's saying there. It's echoing, So if you want, I don't know if you're oh I see hold on, let me see something. Okay, I think uh oh we lost Megan. Okay, echo, echo echo, Okay, something happened here when I did that. I don't know what happened. Are you you're not on your phone? Is it? If you're watching this on somewhere else, maybe just close that out? Okay, if you're watching the broadcast, Okay, I don't hear an echo about now. I don't hear it, but I don't know why I have.
Speaker 2: Everything off now Okay, should I go ahead?
Speaker 1: Or yeah? Go ahead?
Speaker 2: Okay?
Speaker 3: This next question comes from Cynthia. I have several old computer laptops that I don't know what to do with. I seem to recall a story you covered about recycling your laptops for seniors, or maybe it was a senior recycling laptops for others. I'm concerned about data on these laptops being stolen or something like that. What would you recommend?
Speaker 1: Okay, so this is a yeah, I think. I think what happened was the when I did the scene. When I changed the scene, it messed up. Okay. Uh So the question is you have an old laptop, what do you do? And the reality is when you get rid of an old computer, you want to be really careful with that because you know someone can get the data off that computer if you don't dispose of it in a good way. So the number one thing I talked about is to if you go to Best Buy, they will actually recycle your computers for free. And this is something they do nationwide and I have not personally brought something there. To get recycled. But you kind of have to trust them. They have on their website if you go to best Buy Recycling, they do have a way to They do have some like instructions on how to wipe the data from your hard drive, and I'm going to look at that right now. So wiping your hard drive is an advanced procedure. If you don't feel comfortable doing it, you can schedule an appointment to bring your computer into a Best Buy and have a geek squad agent handle the process. Now I don't know if they charge for that process. But the problem is now most of the new programs like the Max and the Windows computers have this built in, but the average person's not going to want to do this themselves. So my idea is you either have to trust them to do it themselves, or you can find a geek that you know, like a nerd, that can help you do that. But what I've done in the past is I've actually taken the hard drives out of my computer and I still have them sitting here in my garage and I kind of took a hammer to them. You can do that, but again, this is the main thing. Now, I will tell you I did bring my mom's computer to Staples. They will also recycle stuff, and they say that they will take care of it. They do say that they will get rid of the stuff on the hard drive buy themself, you know, in a responsible manner, and realistically, if you have kids, I say kids, because usually the geek squad people, you know, some of them are probably young. Hopefully they're following the instructions and hopefully you can trust them to bring it in there. If I was running best by, I would have these best practices in place and say, look, we don't go in and we don't unlock people's computers, and we don't take the hard drive contents, we don't go through them. But you never know. I mean, there's a lot of people out there in America, so you just never know, hopefully of good people doing that. But the person specifically that I think she was asking about was the Laptop Elf project. And if you google laptop Elf project, you'll see the story that we did. Just google laptop Elf KTLA and you can see the story that we did on this guy in Redondo Beach that will happily he's a nerd. He will happily take your computer and dispose of it or recycle it or erase it, whatever you need to do. So, yeah, it's a good question. Wow, I feel like this podcast is really painful because doing the podcast is one thing. Doing the live is another one. Because the live is like it's like either you're doing a live show or you're doing a podcast. And this is what I used to do, and this is why I kind of went from doing the live to the podcast only because live is like a different beast than the podcast live. I'm looking at comments, I'm kind of like responding, I'm moving a million things in my computer. But the podcast is the podcast, So you know, look, we're all trying to figure this out. You know, we're all Corona in here.
Speaker 2: Learning experience.
Speaker 1: And since you're inside, I kind of want to mention because a lot of people are wondering about this whole Wi Fi situation. I know, Megan, you were telling me the Wi Fi situation at your home, or as the kids say, the Wi Fi sitch is pretty.
Speaker 2: Bad and it's really bad.
Speaker 1: Yeah, everyone is realizing this because number one, you have a couple of things going on. People are taxing their Wi Fi systems to the limit. It's like you're using more devices than you ever have in your home with more people, So that's a problem. And then also the Wi Fi itself, if you're using just the Wi Fi router that is given to you by Spectrum or your internet provider, it's not going to be very good. And it's like us, like you, and so so in your home you have just the Spectrum WiFi router and it's just it's trying to reach the entire house, right right.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: But also my dad's computer is plugged into the Internet and it's not working for him.
Speaker 1: Well it's and that's the other and that's the other side. So that's the part B is that Spectrum Internet is really being taxed right now across everywhere in Los Angeles. I mean it's it's it's bad in a lot of places. And ours actually was out the other day. There's there's some sort of outage that a lot of people had to deal with as well, including us, and so I was scrambling. I told my wife to set up one of our phones as a Wi Fi hotspot, and she did that. But that's, you know, something to keep in mind. Anyway, I say all this because it might be time to consider getting one of these new mesh Wi Fi networking systems, which I've talked about extensively, and the one that I use is called Ero, but there's another one called Google Nest Wi Fi, and Android Police says it's on sale right now for one hundred and ninety nine bucks and that includes a router and an additional access point and the way the way that works. So like, for instance, in your place, Megan, And remember we talked about this, didn't we, And it was a little bit expensive, so you weren't ready to drop that money just yet. But from one ninety nine and maybe you can expense it, I mean it might be expensible.
Speaker 3: No, I actually wait, so you you think Google Wi Fi.
Speaker 1: Over euro well for one ninety nine and Google Wi Fi is fantastic. And so if you have the you put the router by your you know, where your internet comes in, and you put this little access point somewhere else in your house, and it creates a nice network that kind of envelopes your entire house in a you know, in real nice internet. And I would recommend it anyway. I would recommend just if you're listening and you're having problems with all this stuff, it might be the time to kind of look into a new setup. So uh oh, I hear doors opening. That could be bad. All right, Megan question.
Speaker 2: I just asked a question, but I can oh you did.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I thought I just gave the Wi Fi thing. Yeah that was the.
Speaker 2: Response to the Oh okay, well here's your question.
Speaker 1: I don't remember. Oh no, the laptop thing. That was different. Oh. Martha asks, by the way, on the live stream, well, wi Fi extenders help, especially with streaming. I don't recommend the Wi Fi extenders anymore. We did recommend those a couple of years ago. They're just not good anymore. So and I'll just do a couple questions here. Courtney Rogers says, I've Verizon FiOS. Is fiber optic Internet better for those with new Internet challenges? Better for these new Internet challenges. Yes, I think that Verizon FiOS would be fantastic. I was actually thinking of getting my Internet switched over to I can get one gig at and T where I live, and I think I might actually do that. And Vanessa says, what about the Netgear Wi Fi Extender? I would not recommend the Netgear extenders anymore at this point, because, yeah, it's just I think that these mesh networks have really done a better job, and mine has actually worked great in my house. It's it's, you know, it's it's been able to absorb all these new things, but it's still there's a limit to this, right, So okay, and let me just do one more thing. I know everyone's using Zoom and a lot of people are wondering how to change your Zoom background. So see if you'd see my background right now, I'm in my dining room. It's got you know, I've got candles behind me and like these little weird things that I put up like five years ago and I moved in that I should probably change. But it's not the best background for like work. But the reality is everyone's trying to figure out where they can, you know, use a broadcast background for their home, and it's tricky sometimes if you don't have a dedicated space and so on Zoom, you can change your background to something custom and fun. I did a little Facebook video, or I did Facebook and Instagram, So find me at rich on Tech on Instagram. You can see how you do it. But you kind of go into the Zoom settings and you choose the virtual background option and you can change it to a different background, and you can also upload your own background. And apparently that only works if you have the Zoom up downloaded. It does not work if you are trying to use the Zoom like web thing. All right, Megan, you're turning.
Speaker 3: This next question comes from Tracy. Hello, please inform me on the way to shut down callers after you've done a search for insurance companies. I've gotten dozens of calls from insurance companies asking if I need insurance help.
Speaker 1: I did the same exact thing. I did a one of those quotes from Oh Gosh. I think it was policy genius and it was great, and the guy was very nice, but he kept calling and calling and calling, and I just every time he called, I would not be in a place to like think about life insurance, right, I mean, who wants to think about that? Like I'm out at the park with my kids and this guy, you know, he's like, hey, here's the Zoom. This is the official Zoom. And actually a lot of people have had trouble because Zoom. It's kind of weird because it does not say to download Zoom, Like there's no there's no download button on the main website. Which is really odd. So that because they want you to run this in your browser. But here is this is a link to the actual zoom. It's Zoom dot us slash download Zoom dot us slash download anyway. Uh okay, So the question.
Speaker 3: Was what the question was about insurance companies?
Speaker 1: Oh? Yeah, how to block all these calls? So if you did it from a legitimate company, like a policy genius, you can go on their website or simply ask the person that's calling you to stop calling, and they will do that if you go to one of these other See the problem with all these insurance websites that you hear advertisements for on the radio and stuff is that they're mostly aggregator sites, and they are once you put in your information, like your phone number, they are pinging that out to so many different people and they're all calling you. And so that's a little bit tougher to kind of manage. But on your phone, on your iPhone, you can block callers manually, or you can do something like you can go into the iPhone settings and you can turn off all of the unknown callers. It'll send them directly to voicemail. And that's like kind of something you probably don't want to do unless you're really getting a lot of calls, but it's something that's an option. I thought this was really cool, Megan. You know, we're all home and we're all home bound, and we're trying to find stuff to watch, and everyone is blasted through every episode of Love is Blind, and so now they're looking for other garbage to watch on Netflix, and there's just not that much because they're not producing anymore. Right, So the trash on Netflix is like is at an all time low. It's like a tiny trash heap. Now. Netflix used to be a giant trash heap. Now it's just tiny. Do you like how I trash Netflix?
Speaker 2: I know what?
Speaker 3: And also The Bachelor they had to delay shooting just.
Speaker 1: Because I don't watch it. Just because I don't watch a lot of Netflix shows. I just like to trash them because everyone in the world is watching Netflix, so I just like to fine, it's fine, but it's a lot of let's be honest, it's a lot of trying to hunt for something to watch. And sometimes it's good, sometimes it's not very good. But I joke, Netflix is amazing. I just don't personally watch a lot of stuff on Netflix, you read, I read, I like to read, so, but I do like to watch movies. And Fandango Now sent me a little notice that said Pixars Onward is gonna be available today for streaming, like for buying for twenty bucks. Which this just came out in the movie theater three weeks ago or two weeks ago, I should say March six, so two weeks. They're like, look, we know everyone's cooped up, they're not going to the movies. We're just gonna let you buy this for twenty bucks. Now, twenty dollars rent to buy a movie sounds like a lot, but not really when you think about the price of a movie ticket, especially if you're bringing kids and popcorn. So I was already to download Onward tonight for twenty bucks, and then someone tweeted me and told me that it's actually gonna be on Disney Plus early in two weeks. Oh no, so you're talking it's gonna don't buy it. Well, I still feel like twenty bucks is a good deal, but I get it like right now with the whole economy and situation, like I'm kind of like, you know, the less money spending, the better. But Fandango now is actually giving everyone twenty percent off movies and TV show transactions for the first thirty days if you have a new account, So that brings the price down to twenty percent off of twenty bucks is four dollars off. That's sixteen dollars. Wow. So I'm kind of into that anyway. The other movie I want to watch that also came out early as Invisible Man, and we talked about this last week. Remember, so Ray Anthony says Onward is going to be on Disney Plus on April third, So I have to wait another two weeks, but I don't I'm tempted. I think I might get it tonight for twenty bucks. It's if I can't find another movie that's streaming that's free, I might have to just open my wallet and do that, right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I feel like you should just do it.
Speaker 1: I'm actually I'm surprised we have. We've gotten through this entire podcast without saying coronavirus that many times.
Speaker 2: I know, it's a nice break.
Speaker 1: It is a nice break because because let's be honest, it is just it's downright insane what's happening right now. Like yesterday, I watched the Mayor Talk and say that LA was on lockdown. Not lockdown, that's not the right word to use. It's safer at home. And then all of a sudden we get the governor like he's like, you know what, I'll see I'll see your safe at home, Los Angeles, and I'll raise you the entire state. And now it's like the entire state is safer at home. Now they're not like they're not putting military and police outside my front door and saying you can't leave your house and you can still go on walks and you can still you saw I tweeted last night about the fact that marijuana dispensaries are still on the list of approved places to go.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm a little bit confused by that.
Speaker 1: I just love that, Like you can't go you know, you can't go anywhere, but you know the pot shop. That's okay, We're look, it's California. We understand you have needs. Yeah, but I did see that personal grooming was on there, so I think haircuts you should be able to get in, like nail salon's. Like have you seen that meme that's going around of everyone's going to know everyone's true like roots and likes and stuff.
Speaker 2: Like it's so funny. I love that.
Speaker 1: I thought that was pretty funny too. I got a haircut.
Speaker 2: You're still gonna get your haircut?
Speaker 1: Well, I got my haircut. You know, I get it done every three weeks, and I got I got it done right before this whole shutdown. So but the place I go to is actually closed. I got like an email from them, so I don't know. I may have to. I did cut Parker's hair last night here at home, so really yeah, because and then my wife, I told her not to get a haircut right before because I was like, you don't want to be in a hair salon right before this whole thing's happening. And now she's mad at me because she could have had her hair done and she missed her window. So I don't know. It's kind.
Speaker 3: I was supposed to go on Wednesday and I canceled.
Speaker 1: You canceled, and now that's all.
Speaker 3: I canceled Monday, and then on Tuesday she was like, yeah, I think that's better, because it's just it's.
Speaker 2: Not right now.
Speaker 3: It's just like, you know, you're not really supposed to just like be around a lot of people, you know.
Speaker 1: Longtime listener Mike Lamone I think that's how you say it. He said he got his hair cut yesterday and they closed today. So and Rick Feldman look at this. He has offered to cut my hair. But I only know one style, and I assume that style is like the buzz where that's what I want to do with my kid yesterday, where you just buzz like everything. But I couldn't do that because the trimmer I had it was fine for like sideburns, but when I tried to like actually do anything more like turn out to be not as substantial as I thought. So I will be ordering a one of those like real buzzer things off Amazon, and I'm gonna have my kids they're gonna have buzz cuts by the end of the week. I can't wait.
Speaker 3: But it'll take like two months to get to you.
Speaker 2: Right now, Amazon taking forever.
Speaker 1: I know. It's like everything that we used to get like next day, same day is definitely I ordered stuff on let's see, Wednesday night, and it's it's coming here like Tuesday and Wednesday, so that's almost like I'll look at that, and Mike confirmed that's how you say it. Mike Lemone got it. That's a cool last name. It's kind of like Lemon, but Lemone?
Speaker 2: Is it Limon?
Speaker 1: Oh? Maybe it's Lemon Limon. Yeah, you know, I'm only on TV, but I can't really speak. I can't pronounce things, but that happens. All right. That's gonna do it for the podcast if you can believe it. Let me see if this even works. Oh it does. That's gonna do it for the podcast. For links to what we talked about on the show, take a look at the show notes. If you have a question for me, you can find me at links dot rich on tech dot tv. Hit that email button all the way down at the bottom. You can find me on social media at rich on tech producer Megan. Where can folks find you?
Speaker 2: I'm on Twitter at producer Megan.
Speaker 1: And currently we are all at home. I'm rich demiro On behalf of everyone that gets a show to your ears, and believe me, there's not many of us. Thanks for listening. We'll talk to you real soon. Six