Speaker 1: Howard, my husband fell at a construction site.
Speaker 2: I knew it wasn't safe.
Speaker 3: It ain't and law. We're one of the largest filers of workers' compensation claims in the state. If you've been hurt on the job, in a car accident, or suffered a medical mistake, call three one two six million.
Speaker 1: From your favorite source for Chicago White Sox talk, delivering news, interviews, analysis and more. This is The Socks Machine Podcast with your hosts Jim Margolis, James Began, and Josh Nelson.
Speaker 2: Hello, folks, welcome to you a new episode of The Sox Machine Podcast, part of the Foul Territory Network. I'm your host, Josh Nelson, and this is a special edition episode as the twenty twenty six Major League Baseball trade deadline is just a few days away, and we are expecting the Chicago White Sox, who are still in first place in the America League Central, to be active to make some type of move before the deadline. In this episode, I'm going to be pitching some ideas that I have the White Sox could pursue before Monday's deadline. Again, the deadline is Monday, August third, five pm Central Time, and joining me to look over as far as by trades and hopefully doesn't judge them too harshly. A Sox Machines managing editor Jim Margulus, and hello Jim, it's exciting to be on the other side. It's been a while contemplating how the White Sox could add before the trade deadline.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's weird, it's scary, it's frightening. I you know, what is worth? What is value? This context is new and alienating to me.
Speaker 2: Well, we do have some news. So first case for the Detroit Tigers has already been scratched from his start. The Tigers will not start him until after the deadline. Now, there is some speculation because his fastball velocity was dipping in his previous start for the Tigers. So maybe Maz gets traded. Maybe it's for injury reasons. Maybe it's both to make sure he doesn't get hurt and that really hurts his ability to get moved. But the other big name right now, and this comes from Joel Sherman out in New York. He tweeted that the New York Mets are scratching Freddy Peralta. With interest picking up from contenders. Maybe the White Sox could be one of those contenders, as many of the contending teams are looking for starting pitching, and even though Freddy Peralta appears to be having a career worst year with the New York Mets and he is a free agent after this season, teams will pursue Freddy Peralta, and maybe the White Sox would be one of those teams, hoping that he catches a second win and is just as effective for his new team as he was for the Milwaukee Brewers last year. But Jim, before we really get into my trade ideas and kind of rip them apart, let's look over the White Sox shopping list. It's still starting pitcher and catcher, right, those are the two primary needs I think.
Speaker 4: So definitely starting pitcher, I think that's at the top, just with the amount of innings the bullpen has had to cover, with Eric Fetti being carefully managed, with Noah Schultz not being able to go five innings regularly, Davis Martin not being able to go past five all that often as of late. Really it's Sean Burke being the one starter can go six, then everybody else is more or less. Get them past the halfway points, and it's more or less where there starts come to an end. So yeah, I think starting pitching is probably number one, or definitely number one. I should say they do have a couple of stopgap options in the miners. They traded for Jose Keaty, who's been on a roll in Triple A. There's some question about whether his post second Tommy John surgery stuff is actually good enough to retire major league hitters. It could be the kind of thing where he's a kitchen sing approach that works well against Triple A hitters, but against major leaguers he's running against the same kind of issues that's limiting the other pitchers on the staff to like five innings. There's also Jonathan Cannon, who's been pitching better as of late, and he's somewhat known, and when he's effective, he can go five six innings. You have David Sandlin, who's probably more along the lines of Noah Schultz when it comes to trying to figure out how he can get the lineup multiple times. So yeah, I think having a veteran starter that will venable doesn't have to think about opening four or pulling the plug on after eighty pitches because he knows like the t top is going to have some ugly in store for him. I think is probably number one catcher. They did sign Eric Haas, who's right now Rake in Charlotte's he drove in five or six runs on a Thursday. He's been He briefly caused a stir when he left the game early because of dehydration. So everybody is champing at the bits to get him in the lineup as quickly as possible, even though he's bounced around, because he is this classic third catcher, you know, he serves a purpose and hes of being a veteran guy. But asked too much from him and he ends up on the DFA pile. So it's kind of the circle of life for him. But he is I think a better option, or at least a gives you a better sense of what he might be able to provide at the plate versus Drew Romo or Edgar Carroll, like the combination of Romo and Carrol, because he can kind of go back and forth between which one of those guys is actually doing a worse job at a given time.
Speaker 2: If the White Sox trade activity is just jose Yerkidi and Eric costume, is that sufficient.
Speaker 4: It would be disappointing. I think there's a wide range of guys who could help, or at least their presence could signal we tried something like Freddie Peralta, for instance, having a terrible season. He would be a rental. You don't want to look at what he did with the Mets and say we can fix him and rush to give up somebody of value. It's more like the trade the arrays makeoff and where we'd like we have somebody who's blocked three times over. We're coming up on a forty man crunch. You know, at most to give up that kind of guy. But he if Peralta showed up and it was just Peralta, at least the front offics say we added a picture who might be able to do something. We have one idea for. The idea might not work, but if it doesn't, we can at least look back and say we tried something. We brought in an external possible solution for a known problem. All the other prices we balked at because it just wasn't worth it, but at least we did something. We had something to show for our off season. I think it reminds me a little bit of twenty two twenty and although the circumstances behind that season were considerably different due to the pandemic and the shortened season, everything like that White Sox got off to a hot start, look like, oh, it's everything's coming together earlier than anticipated, and then they started tailing off at the end. And over the course of the trade deadline that was weird. Rick O Antario wanted to starter the front office. They said they convened with you know, rick con had this way of saying, like, we're going to meet with you know, ten people. We're going to talk to Dallas Kichel and Yasmani Grandal and Josea Bray, you and Ron Kittle, and you're just basically bringing in all sorts of people, say we all agreed on this. And the the more he'd invoke that, the more he was like, he's just kind of differing responsibility, and you know, it just seemed like he brought in so many people that just led to inaction, and in this case that deadline, they said, well, you know, we talked it over and we have faith with the team that we have and so we're not going to shake it up too much. And they brought in Jira Dyson, and that was all they had to show for. It was like a pinch runner, defensive replacement, very specific use case, and Rick Rentrio wanted a starter. And sure enough, you get to the postseason and you have Rick Rentick Rhea bent over at the hips with his hands on his knease because he's trying to get his team through a opener slash bullpen game, which he never practiced because he hated openers and hated the idea of bullpen games. And he tried to get something more in the front office and give it to him. And then you look at, you know, years later, in hindsight, well that was one of two good opportunities they had with the core that they had built. And so I think you at least want to try to throw something at one of those known problems, so you know, years down the line, when you're looking at missed opportunities, you can at least say, well, we tried something which is better than what the White Sox did in twenty twenty.
Speaker 2: That is a very good history lesson to learn from for Chris Scats because I think if it's just your Kidi and Haas, that's an f for Chris scats. That's not enough to add to your team to outlast Cleveland and Minnesota. Jim, I just I just don't think it is.
Speaker 4: I would call it maybe like a D D minus like HAS is something like based on the catchers available and depending on the price that they command and Kevin, how many teams are looking for catchers. I could see HAS being you know, not meaningfully different from you know, like Freddy for Mean or anybody else we've talked about who might you know command next to nothing or you know, that's that's all you're looking to add to the position if you have Kyle Teal coming back and you're still planning on Kyle Teal being around for you know, three or four year window. So I would say HASP qualifies as something but for the position of less need or like the the you know, if if they're they're one basically they're basically one starting pitching injury away from having a crisis. So I think that's what you want to do. You want to throw a body at the situation to where your Orkidi is not the your loan hope should to go down. Or Jonathan Cannon given the up and down season he's had and basically everything's happened since a couple of years ago in terms of his staying power.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if has is that guy, I would just like to see him with Chicago right now. So that's just how I feel. So that's where the White Sox are listeners as we're recording this, And this is always a gamble when we do these types of episodes because of timing. I have to stop what I'm doing and get it published immediately because we don't know if there's breaking news and we have to record a whole new episode as an emergency podcast. So please play along. As far as with my trade ideas, some of them may come to fruition and some of them are incredibly long shots, and that's where we're going to start with trade idea number one. Jim, for me, this is the longest shot. And as far as trying to figure out a trade package that would entice his team to move this particular player, I'll admit I'm grasping at straw. So my offer is this is the most I'd be willing to offer if I was in Chris Gatz's position to acquire this starting pitcher. And my trade idea number one is Redebt Merse with the Los Angeles Angels. The more I look into Debt mers One, I forgot that the team that trades for him or the Angels hold on to Debt Merse. They have team controlled through the twenty twenty eight season. So it's more than just through the twenty twenty seven season, which I originally had thought. No, this is two years plus the remaining of the twenty twenty six season. He's having a career year. He's already hit a milestone. This is his first three war season. According to vangrafts dot Com, his strikeout rate last year coming out of the bullpen was very impressive. He was striking out batters at a thirty percent clip back to a starter, and he's still striking out batters at a twenty eight and a half percent clip. Only Grant Tailor of all current White Sox pitchers, has a higher strikeout rate than Redebt mer Sean Burke right now is at twenty seven point seven percent for that strike rate strikeout rate, And if the White Sox were to acquire Debt Merse on paper, they are starting rotation be led by start three pitchers who have three war or better. This season, and Davis Martin, Seawan Burke, and of course readebt Merse. This is where I'm going. I'm expecting a lot of pushback. What I would offer if I was in Chris Getz's position, I would send to the Angels Billy Carlson, last year's first round pick, Hagen Smith the year previous first round pick, and Jonathan Cannon kind of is an extra piece of this trade. So if the Angels needed a starting a pitcher to get through the rest of the season, Jonathan Cannon can do that. And this is where I flipped the table around or swing it around and Jim share me your thoughts as far as this particular trade offer idea for the White Sox to get Readdebt Mers.
Speaker 4: I had to think about it for a while because there are a few different ways to look at it or approach it, depending on your first impression of it. Like you look at it, you see Carlson and Smith, you see, oh, that's two first round picks. That's a lot for Debt Meers, especially since Debt Meers has He's come back a little bit, but he's had an up and down season to where like he started off then got into a real hot streak, and now I think he's leveled off into this, you know, very you know, credible mid rotation starter. Still, if he's starting game win or game two of a postseason, might feel a little bit itchy, but at least he misses bats and you kind of understand why he would be there. The thing is, I'm looking at it from the angel side, and it feels like maybe just a little bit lights or at least if they're trying to drum up competition, I wonder if they could shop it around and beat it. Just because you're looking at Hagensmith right now, is he a starter? Like hard to say that he is at this point. You know, he might be a very good left handed reliever, might be a excellent bullpen weapon. And I certainly saw him throw a great inning against Nashville, just you know, right in front of me, a sitting behind home plates taking some photos. And yet like the fastball, cutter slider combination in short bursts, gets some ugly swings and some late swings, some tough foul balls. So as a bullpen weapon, certainly think he's has a lot of attractiveness. I think when it comes to him being a starter, and like looking at Hagen Smith as a Debtmer's replacement in the rotation, I don't think you're quite getting that. And then Carlson is just he's not a lottery ticket at this point. I think he's more known than that. He's having a decent season, especially around a hand injury. Like I think he's been producing pretty well even though he doesn't have a homer yet. The defense is as advertised so far, So I think you look at him and think like that's a worthy project or a worthy guy to add to a pharm system and give a lot of leeway too on a lengthy development timeline. You don't expect great things from him, don't attach a whole lot of expectations, as this is the guy we got cut for debt merse. He has to hit, but you just look at how far away he is. He's still in Kannapolis, and it just feels it's a lot for the White Sox to give up. But it also feels like it could be beaten by a team that just has maybe a starter that they could give up and feel okay about, or a infielder who's blocked maybe at the double A level and can ultimately feel okay because they're getting a starter from next two years.
Speaker 2: All right, Well that's the best that I would be willing to go. And that's why again, like Redebt Merse I think would be a great addition for the White Sox. I know there's some pushback from White Sox fans. You don't think Redebt Merse is all that great, but just looking at the landscape for controllable starting pitchers, Jim, it's incredibly, incredibly limited. It's really whatever the Angels have that teams think is actually available in Redebt Merse and Jose Siano and I feel like as far as the controllable starting pitchers out there, debtmers is the best option. But maybe the White Sox are a little too hesitant because to your point, giving up our twenty twenty four and twenty twenty five first round picks, that's kind of a gut punch to the farm system, and they keep preaching about long term development. But I do think you make a good point. Whoever doesn't win the Trek schoolbul sweepstakes, so they turn around and they call the Angels maybe they can beat whatever the White Sox offers. So that that's why I feel like, ultimately, while this would be a good fit gym, it is a very long shot that the White Sox and Angels would be able to make this deal.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it feels like if you're the White Sox, you'd do that just because Deptmers is what you wanted Hagen Smith to be for two years good point. Yeah, and then so that's kind of you're upgrading over that and kind of upgrading over Cannon. You know, Canon's a good throwing I think I think a team would be happy to have him as a third player, perhaps, like they could use him right away given the way he's throwing away. He's throwing right now in Charlotte.
Speaker 2: So that was my line of thinking, was like, here you lose Debt Merse, here's Can and he can pick up his starts.
Speaker 4: Yeah. So I think like det Meers is, you know, if you're looking at would you rather have Reaed, Debt Mars or Higginsmith on the White Sox the next two years? He probably say Dept. Mars just because you need a starter for those two years. And then it becomes a matter of like how much would you regret giving up Billy Carlson? And I think you could get by without him, given the just drafted Rock Schelowski, given that they have Caleb Bonnomer, given that Coulson's again, they have a whole lot of infielders right now, and so I think you can get by with taking a shot that Carlson won't become like the Keith Law projection of just possible twenty homers plus gold glove defense being somebody regret missing on the other side of the table like three, four or five years from now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I would not be in the mood to swap out Billy Carlson for Caleb Bonnemer. If the Angels came back and asked for that package, I would probably pass. I think highly of Kleb Bonomer. It looks he might hit thirty home runs this year across multiple levels, Jim, and we know that the White Sox could use more right handed power as Rock Schlawski makes his way or starts his way through the White Sox minor leagues. So as far as like untouchables, I don't think anyone's untouchable for the White Sox, but I would not give up Kleb Bonnomer for read Debt Mers.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 2: If the White Sox do make any moves and they do trade as far as their prospects or if you're interested in what other teams are doing as far as trading their prospects. Our friends over at Baseball America they are the best place to learn about all the prospects of the move this trade deadline season. So now through Monday August third, Socks Machine podcast listeners and viewers, you get thirty percent off your first year of any digital annual subscription. We use Baseball America a lot at Socks Machine, so we always strongly recommend the annual subscription through Baseball America. To get thirty percent off an annual subscription is absolutely huge, So go to baseball America dot com use promo code sox Machine thirty. Again, that's promo code sox Machine thirty. To take advantage of this sale at baseball america dot com and we'll be presenting more of my trade ideas after a quick word from our other sponsors.
Speaker 3: Hey, Howard, they're over eight million drivers in the state of Illinois. With that many people on the road, accidents are bound to occur. I'm Attorney Howard Ankin, and if you or someone you care about has been involved in an auto rideshare trucking accident.
Speaker 4: I'm here to help you.
Speaker 3: N call my office for a free consultation at three one two six million. I'm heroin you need me injury law made personal. That's ink in law.
Speaker 2: My second trade idea, I think is a little bit more real. Stick We know, as Jim mentioned earlier, the White Sox need a catcher, and we talked about this in the past couple episodes three Targets. We even had Aer Kratz, a friend over at foul Territory, join the show. He recommended Jonah him. I think ultimately I'm going to go with Tyler Stevenson of the Cincinnati Reds, and the reason is is the bat he has almost the league average weighted runs cread A plus it's currently at ninety nine. He's batting two fifty one with a three point thirty three on base percentage. He's slugging three eighty nine. That's perfectly fine for hit her in the bottom of the order. He walks almost at eleven percent rate. He has eight homers and twenty nine RBIs. We can spend an entire podcast episode breaking down some of the defensive and game calling limitations for Edgar Carrow and Drew Romo. But the reason why the White Sox need to upgrade at this position with the uncertainty of Kyle Teal's injury is that Drew Romo's weighted runs create A plus is forty five and despite the to clutch walk off hits from Edgar Carrow this year, his way to runs cratiplus is thirty five. That is so bad for your two catchers right now on the team that they really don't merit any at bats in the major league level. So that's why I'm targeting Tyler Stevenson into exchange. For Stevenson. I know a lot of White Sox fans like Riku Nashida, and I think that he can be a useful utility player in the major league level. He really feels like a Terry francona typic guy, So be curious to see how the Reds would use Nashida and then Gabe Davis. This is a project. This is a lottery ticket six foot nine and he can throw up to ninety eight miles an hour. But again, Stevenson is going to be a free agent after this year, so this isn't going to be a huge prospect cost at least in my opinion for Stevenson. So, Jim, it's your turn break it down. What do you think about this trade?
Speaker 4: Think it needs a little bit more. It was funny as one Riku with Charlotte in Nashville this week, And I'm really glad he got the time in the majors this year because he's such a good minor league player, and it feels like a knock on him. But in terms of just how effective he is at Triple A, how he helps the lineup, how he gives guys extra plate appearances in Birmingham and now in Charlotte. You know, he's got a three twenty batting average, four hundred OVP, plays a few different positions, So like, he's really good to have around on a Triple A roster. He helps a team win, he creates opportunities for their guys. Teammates love having him around, like he's a good clubhouse guy. And so I don't want to say, like, you know, it was good that he got those games in the majors because they won't happen again. But he has such a narrow window for providing or another narrow path providing major league value. He's got a good outfield arm. He can create havoc on the base paths and place small ball, but we saw it with the White Sox. Just it's really hard to just beat major league defenses with soft contact over and over and over again the way that he can in the minors. So I don't know if he's somebody who is going to be attractive in a trade unless you know he's like the third player involved, or if it's like say prospect wait of like a Caleb Bonhamer and then Riko Nishida as well. I just think other teams can probably replicate that twenty six man, good clubhouse guy, you know, specific set of skills that Nashidah brings. So that's why I think I don't know if he moves a needle much in terms of trade value. I think Gabe Davis is an interesting guy just because the physical tools are there. He seems like somebody who's underdeveloped in college to where like the what he's had for a season so far in Winston Salem now in Birmingham is pretty impressive for how quickly it's come together in terms of strike throwing, but you know he is reaching new innings limits when he throws he is. Yeah, it's all kind of unknown. So I feel like, if that's the deal, then I think you do it. Perhaps Davis turns into monster because he's a big guy and he throws hard and he has a few different ways to get somebody out, But I think he's far enough away to where if that's the deal, I think the White Sox should do it. And I think the Reds can probably find at least one team offering somebody a little bit more certain that can get to the majors, just because like Davis's I think he fits that project mold, and I think if you're if he's leading the trade, and I think you need somebody a little bit stronger as the secondary piece to be a little bit more alluring.
Speaker 2: Okay, so right now in my first two trade offers, I'm light.
Speaker 4: It feels like I wouldn't say it's like just feels like in terms of value, in terms of like FV, like if you're putting feature value on, I think they're they're right on. It's just yeah, I'm thinking about the Angels and how they value you know how Arnie Moreno just wants like a couple of name brand players. He just basically wants a roster and that's kind of it. And so I think, you know, maybe you know, Carlson is just somebody's too far away to you know, and somebody can plug in pretty quickly and get the fans off his back is probably you know, more to his liking. This one just feels like, just how many teams need a catcher? Could they offer somebody who's yeah, it might not take much more. I'm trying to think if there's anybody else in the system.
Speaker 2: Well, my other idea was including Caro, Like this is a deal where I would maybe send Edgar Carro and gave Davis a Cincinnati for Stevenson.
Speaker 4: That feels like something that could hold a little bit more appeal, just because Caro has shown the ability to do it and if he rediscovers it, you know, and it's hard to know with him if it's a case where last year was Caro's ceiling. And you see this sometimes with yeah, developing players that they just try so hard to find waste to get around that or bust through it that they kind of make themselves worse. I think like Jared Keelnick is another one who you know, kind of fits that description of just trying so many swings and stances and adjustments and just getting further and further away from the guy who was like a useful platoon player with the Mariners. So yeah, if Caro's last year was his ceiling, then it might be a case where he's like a throw in if he can get back to it. It's just a matter of did he make himself worse trying to get back to that and trying to become that definite starting catcher versus somebody who's a nice backup to have.
Speaker 2: All right, And then my third and final trade idea before the deadline, and I feel like this is maybe the most realistic target for the White Sox right now in the starting pitching front, and that is Robby Ray the San Francisco Giants. So Ray right now has a pretty big discrepancy when it comes to earn run average. It's currently three point zero eight, which for the Ogs that's great. His fit is four point three to seven, So you're going to see a difference in terms of war on Baseball Reference and fangrafts. Ray has already pitched one hundred and twenty two and two thirds innings this year. He was excellent in his last outing against the San Diego Padres. Walks can be an issue with Robbie Ray, and is able to maintain fastball velocity over the course of the start has been into question, but Ray is still figuring out a way to go five six innings in his starts and with about eight million dollars left on his contract. As far as his deal originally with the Seattle Barners going to be expiring after this season, the White Sox have said that they are willing to take on some money to lower as far as the impact on prospect cost. And I feel like Robbie Ray is a good target for that type of strategy where I have a lot more confidence in his ability to start in the spots where Eric Betty and Noah Schultz have been starting, and that will help the White Sox start in rotation, I think solidify and again to go here, maybe this trade deadline is not about what can the White Sox do to add to beat the Yankees and raise in the postseason, But maybe my mindset is what can you add to outlast the Guardians and Twins so you can get into the postseason and see if chaos reigns Still in the American League even in the playoffs. So the players that I would send from the White Sox to the Giants Drew Thorpe. He's currently rehabbing, but I really don't know what the future looks like for him. I think he's still an intriguing project, but he could use more time in development. He's not going to help the White Sox this season, and Kyle Lodis, which the White Sox drafted last year, and with all the shortstops and middle infielders that the White Sox have, I think that he is probably most suited to be dealt by the Chicago White Sox as there's going to be some roadblocks and his ability to reach the major leagues. So if the Giants are looking for proving college bats because Lodis was really good with Georgia Tech last year, I think that is a worthwhile project from a San Francisco Giants perspective. And if Drew Thorpe continues his rehab and looks stronger and stronger, maybe Thorpe can help out in the rotation for the San Francisco Giants next year and get a chance to pitch at the Giants stadium. So Jim Robbie Ray lay it on me. What do you think about this trade offer?
Speaker 4: I think it's close. Like I will say, like this one, I rolled around in my head because I still like Thorpe as a contribute to the rotation. The change up is really really good. We don't know what he looks like when he's fully healthy, because he had some LB issues before the Tommy John surgery. And just the change up is so good that he can get a lot of mileage out of that. And if he's got a tick or two more velosity because he was pitching a little bit hampered, that's probably a good number four starter. And I don't say that lightly. I mean you need five starters. If somebody's good number four, if that means they're never a threatened from being replaced, or they're never the worst pitcher in rotation, that's an extremely useful pitcher. And I think a good return for rental if you are the Giants, I think maybe a team could beat that. The one thing that concerns me with Ray, and I think the one thing that'll be interesting watching his market is that he's got a big home and road split. And we talk about Giants' pitchers and how hard it is to know Homer at Oracle Park. I immediately go to his splits, and he's got a two hundred ops or a two hundred point ops split between home and away seven to eighty five allowed at home for eighty four or sorry, forty four at home seven eighty five away. He's given up ten homers in fifty seven to two thirds innings versus five homers in over sixty five innings at Oracle Park. So I think if you move him from Oracle to the Rates, you are inviting chaos. I think he's experienced enough to where you know, he's not a one trick pony necessarily. He's had enough success in his career that he probably knows how to get away with his you know, with certain environments. And when he does go to a less friendly place to pitch, then he knows exactly the mistakes that he's less like to get away with. So I wouldn't necessarily say, you know, copy his road splits and then past them in the home slot for the rest of the season. And it's that simple, But that would be the one thing that would give me pause in terms of just trying to get him to replicate his overall performance, certainly somebody who helps. And it was funny. The one guy I was thinking about in terms of rental pictures, in terms of comparable deals and what kind of prospect stock they cost, was you say, Kakuci a couple of years ago with the UH went from the Angels to the Astros, and everybody thought the Astros overpaid. It was Jake bloss and Joey Low Perfido and Will Wagner, and you look at what the Astros got, which is like very good performance from Kakuchi after the trade, and low Perveto had some moments but didn't quite stick, and I think he went back to the Astros and blossc got hurt. Like the Astros did fine. They got slaughtered in the post trade analysis because they did give up their number two and number three prospect, but it turned out like that it didn't hurt them basically whatsoever. In fact, they got low Perffito back. So if if that was a lot, you know, maybe it might cost the White Sox a little bit more. But I think between the money owed, the road splits and just you know, his overall effectiveness and just you know, he has some efficiency issues to where I think he's less likely to go deep in a game than debtvers I think his cost can only be so much before you know, you're talking about like the Giants having to cover a ton of salary and maybe change the calculus all that much. Yeah, I'm with you.
Speaker 2: Like if Kevin Gosman didn't list the White Sox at his no trade clause and that was something that you would have to negotiate, whether the Toronto Blue Jays would have to work out with Gossman before trading him. I think Gosman would be my number one target, like out of those rentals, Jim, because I think Gossman I would have the most confidence that you would want him to start one of the first three games of a postseason series, maybe even game two, behind Sean Burke, like maybe go Burke, Gossman, Martin and k I think Ray though, just being that veteran presence and the starting rotation is a better option for the White Sox than Fetti and Noah Schultz moving forward. So that's why I think it's most realistic. Like out of all the pictures on expiring contracts, that's where I do see like the benefit of the White Sox adding Robby Ray.
Speaker 4: The thing with Goxman and I wonder is, you know, when you sign that deals after the twenty twenty one season. I'm thinking about, like in terms of the White Sox reputation and being added to a no trade clause. I wonder if it is something where Yeah, how old is this no trade clause? That's a good point. Yeah, it's going back to the twenty twenty one Yeah, that's when he signed. The deal, was after the twenty twenty one season. So is it a case where the White Sox, you know, have they improved their reputation enough. We've heard about, you know, through the season and how surprising they are and how chaotic there dugout is, you know, and stories about the the dugouts Yeah yeah, and the the the very college like atmosphere that they bring. And I think you, Mike Vassal others have said, you know, what's going on your dugout in the good way, Like people have noticed that, oh, these White Sox, there's something different going on there. I wonder if that carries over to you know, Gossman having reasons for a no trade clause that may not exist. Perhaps he doesn't like Chicago, Perhaps he doesn't like, uh, you know, great fielder, doesn't you know, he's heard bad things about the accommodations for uh, you know, the the off field stuff for his family or whatever. So perhaps, like there's other reasons besides that. But that's something that when I saw he had no trade clause, I thought, how old is it and what information was he basically off of? And has that information change? Maybe it hasn't, but maybe it has.
Speaker 2: Milwaukee's on that list, what starting picture that's a veteran right now wouldn't want to be on the Milwaukee Brewers, Like the Brewers have a great chance of well, not only reaching the postseason, but reaching the Championship Series and maybe the World Series this year. So I think you're right, Jim, Like, it is fair to question how old is this no trade cost? Because if he made this in the last couple of months, maybe he just doesn't like the Midwest.
Speaker 4: Yeah, maybe maybe he you know, he wants to drink less beer or something like that.
Speaker 2: Maybe Chicago is the American version of Toronto. Kevin, Yes, come on over, Yeah, Gosslan would be my my number one option. We'll see if he's able to, if he's willing to waive his no trade class with the White Sox. White Sox go get Kevin Gossman. I would really approve that, but as far as the pitcher's out there, I do think again Robbie Ray could help the White Sox. So those are my three trade ideas. We're gonna take a quick break from a word from responsors. You guys also pitched your trade ideas to us and we'll be sharing those next on the Sox Machine podcast. Welcome back to the Sox Machine podcast again. Before we went to the break, we highlighted that you guys are listeners and those that watch our videos and our YouTube channel at YouTube dot com slash Socks Machine. You guys pitched us some trade ideas as well, so we're going to share them now. From one of our longtime supporters, Paul Reiker on Twitter, this is a doozy Jim. His His pitch is that Mike Trout is going to pull a Jake Peebe and wave his no trade clause. The Chicago White Sox received Mike Trout, read debt, merse and some cash, and the Angels receive Caleb Bonnemer, Noah Schultz, Shane Smith, and George Wilcow. That would be a headline, stealing trade very San Diego before the deadline. What is your instant reaction to this idea, Jim.
Speaker 4: An instant reactions Hell yeah, not because necessarily baseball village just like, Wow, that's a lot. That's lot to write about. That is, that's reactions, that's being a subject of baseball fascination. That is traffic four Socksmachine dot com and listeners and viewers of the Sox Machine podcast and subscribers. So yes, all four, it's all four headlines. I love me some striker trades because he's always good at this. In terms of yeah, six player deals, three player deals, that's you know, I would not have thought of that name, And don't know if anybody would could leave the UH trade table without vomiting either out of disgust or fear. But in terms of like, yeah, kind of makes sense. Really, Bondomer is the only one that you feel huge regret about. I think you're the White Sox. And then it just a matter like how much cash because like, if you're stuck with Trout and I'm looking at his contract through twenty thirty, so it's yea seasons after this, you know, and he's somebody who hamstrings the White Sox ability spend afterwards if his legs give out him again, Like that could be a case where you just collapsed your whole you know what you're trying to build, because you can no longer add from the outside anymore. But in terms of just fascination, I'm for it.
Speaker 2: Our next idea comes from Tony, and Tony wants to make a deal with the New York Mets. And he's got the Mets sending Clay Holmes and Luis Robert Junior to the White Sox or Mason Edwards ever Sin Preira and Kobe Shelton. And his idea is that the White Sox get a starter and I'll put you an option for Tristan Peters, somebody that's more reliable that could hit left handed pitching. What do you think about this trade proposal.
Speaker 4: Jim, Another fascinating one, just because it feels like Roberts, you know, given the cash ode to him. If you're taking on his entire deal, that probably takes value away from Holmes. I think Holmes is somebody who could have a fair amount of value, and I think you're talking about Colby Shelton because Pereira is out of options, like we've seen the White Sox struggle to keep him on the roster away, Like how much of a project do you want? I don't think he has much value. Mason Adams is a good six starter candidate right now. Could be a back end guy. I don't think he has a whole lot of bullpen value. If he gets that point, he's more of like a kitchen sink, command oriented pitcher who can surprise you by getting through the lineup two and a half times. Does that move a needle much? Do other teams have that kind of picture. Colby Shelton I think is he's improved his stock quite a bit. Feels like you can probably do a little bit better if you're the Mets, just because I think you're looking at Colby Shelton being the one guy who's improved his stock enough. Certainly hit some tanks to where like, oh, there's some real power in there, and if you can cover left side of the enfield spot could be underappreciated. Could be a team somebody takes interest in targets if they've been scouting the system. But I think that's probably a little bit lights for Holmes even with Robert eating into the deal. But I did, like I thought at first in terms of like would they want Robert Beck? And it would really test the theory that you know, among the players who are previously in the rebuild court cores and you know, who are the players are happy to move on from. Like Roberts, for all of his injuries, really seem like he wanted to be on the field and was trying. It just seemed like his body was built to a point that it just couldn't withstand the riggers of Major League Baseball. That would kind of test it because he does fits like in terms of how Tony described for a platoon partner for Tristan Peters in center field, like yeah, that's that's pretty good. You're getting, you know, no defensive drop off, and like it would be compelling. But it would be just a matter of would the White Sox feel like they're reintroducing their past when they've worked so hard to shake it. That would be the one, you know, perhaps it'd be kind of bs if you know, like the whole thing, like, yeah, we can bring Robert and be fine. Everybody liked him, you know, it wasn't his fault. If he gets hurt, it's no big deal, but yeah, I would be testing that theory of just was he different from like the Ilo Jimenezo on Macata sector of just uh guys who weren't leaders and kind of actively or not actively, but just maybe helped create this environment of just nobody's trying all that hard.
Speaker 2: And then finally from socksmachine dot Com from one of our supporters, Hawk checking on Fraser twenty one, so three ideas he has get Kevin Kossman for Blake Larsen and Kay Bush, White Sox acquire Freddy Peralta for Kyle Lodis and a lottery ticket. And the White Sox acquired Jonah him from the Athletics or Ryan Burrow. So very similar thought process like I had in acquiring two starting pitchers and a catcher. So what do you think about If the White Socks are able to pull this off, then I think this would be a great trade deadline and the instant reaction for everyone that covers the White Sox was Chris Getz did a very good job and he added depth to the starting rotation. He found a better catcher to buy time until Kyle Teal returns. Like the White Chris Gets would be graded very favorably if the White Sox were able to pull this trade off. That's my thought, Jim. But what are your thoughts as far as acquiring Gossman Praltenheim.
Speaker 4: Especially Gosmin for two guys who aren't pitching and haven't been able to stay on the mound. That would be I think if your Toronto your irate if that's what you get back for Gosmin. Like Larson's had four and two thirds innings of major experience, had Tommy John surgery and then Alett strain cut his first season short after three outings. Bush had Tommy John surgery. I think he's had shoulder issue since so he's had trouble rehabbing. So I think that would that deal I think would get you pilloried if you are the Blue Jays and that's the best you could do, unless like somehow he's wielding his no trade clause, that is the best you can do. But it really does seem like that is thoroughly beatable. Prolto would be just you know, how bad is it? Like because he's he's not pitching well for the Mets, and like that's it's not going well. Like you don't want to give up much more than load E's. It feels like a team could probably do, but like I almost feel like I give up Burrow, like or flip it and say, like Burrows instead of load East in that spot might do it because Burrow's just got to double A. He's been out playing Lodis at high A and has a little bit more versatility on his side, and you know, maybe he's better. It's tricky there, but like the pro Alta, yeah, just the way he's pitching and the way how bad it spent for the Mets, you don't really want to go much more before balking and say like, we've made a mistake by thinking we could, like just the way the Mets out there pulling a fast food on the White Sox, by getting Louise Robert and saying we can keep him healthy. It'd be the same thing to me just getting Pearlton saying yeah, we can fix them. We can get him back back to a postseason start in two months. So that'd be a kind of a flip of that time. I think his market's probably good enough to where you had to pony up more than Burrows, but yeah, probably not much more just a matter of like a better player, but one you don't need, and Burrows is fits that position in terms of so much redundancy up the middle for the White Sox to where you could trade them for somebody. Just feels like the White Sox could trade them for somebody who's closer, somebody who's like probably you know, in triple A versus just got to double A, you know, being more major League ready and providing the same kind of future value and ceiling. So yeah, I like the three players. Yeah, Gosman will cost more. He I'm probably a little bit more Protai. I have no idea, just because it's been so bad and so so tragic in a way, just because I think there's a video of Pat Murphy talking to Peralta and like they captured some audio and it sounds like, yeah, it wasn't anything scandalous or you know, par alter but you know, Murphy just kind of the way he I forget exactly what he said, but it's kind of like you're good, but it sounded like a heavy you good. Yeah, I'm concerned about you, like, y know what happened, Like you were not this guy for us, and even though you know we don't want you, necessarily as the Brewers, to be as good for the Mets as you are for the Brewers who probably care for him as a person and don't want to be that bad. So yeah, it's prolt I have no idea exactly what he will cost, but probably can't be much more than that.
Speaker 2: Well, let's see what happens. We are hoping the White Sox make a deal. If that does happen, of course we'll fire up an emergency podcast when the news breaks. But then again, especially Trout one, especially.
Speaker 4: Mike Trout, that would be like that would be like a three and a half hour emergency podcast.
Speaker 2: The White Sox acquired by Trout. Yes, that would be stop what we're doing right now and get on the computer.
Speaker 4: Six part series that those six parts recorded in sequence in six hours, and we just livestream the whole thing.
Speaker 2: Pretty much pretty much. But again, our friends at foul Territory are going to be having their MLB Trade deadline show that's going to start at twelve pm Central Time and go all the way up to the deadline at five pm Central time. Ken Rosenthal, Aj Brazenski, Eric Kratz, Scott Braun and others be part of that as well, so definitely check out File Territory watch that live stream on YouTube dot com. And when the White Sox I'm willing this now, Jim, when the White Sox make another trade before the deadline, we'll also be recapping that on soxmachine dot com. But thank you so much for watching and listening to this episode. If you just discover the sox Machine podcast, you can debscribe to the show where if you listen to podcasts, this is a video podcast now so you can watch our YouTube channel at YouTube dot com slash socks Machine, and if you do check out our videos, please hit the subscribe button. We greatly appreciate it. Follow us on social media. We're on all the social media platforms at sos Machine. James Vegan is in Tampa Bay covering those games for us. You can follow him at Jrvegan and you can follow me at sox Machine Underscore Josh. And if you enjoy your work and when full access to all of our coverage of the Chicago White Sox and you would like to help support Soxmachine, go to Soxsmachine dot com slash products and sign up to become a sox Machine subscriber that gets you the ad free version of the website also gets to you the ad free version of the podcast if you desire, also includes the newsletter and unlocks the comments section right now. For your first month, it's just fifty three cents for the five dollars month subscription, So fifty three cents your first month.
Speaker 4: Five dollars afterwards.
Speaker 2: We also have additional tiers that you can sign up for. Our annual Veterans Committee Sweet Night is coming up on August seventh, so all of our VC supporters will be joining us in the suite for a White Sox game. So again, if you want more from us, you can get more also with some additional benefits and perks as well. Go to Soxmachine dot com slash products and sign up today. The Sox Machine Podcast is a production of Soxmachine dot Com. You work for all of the in Chicago White Sox Baseball and part of the Foul Territory Network alongside Jim Margolis, I'm Josh Nelson. Thanks for listening and watching.