Speaker 1: The problem is that you are asking a community in people in Miami to sort of trust you when the history of the franchise is basically not to be trusted.
Speaker 2: Hey, we're back with Andy McCollough from the Athletic joining us right now. Put together what's up Andy, Good to see you.
Speaker 3: Hey guys, how are you good?
Speaker 2: How are you? And loved what you put together? Encourage everyone to check it out. The little disparity between the Marlins and the Dodgers and how that series matches up for seventy six versus sixty nine million, the payroll gap has never been wider. So before we get into that, how much consideration did you put into the Pirates instead? Because that could have fit them all too right.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, they just happened to be spending like twenty three million more than the Marlins army. And that's we actually, you know, I wanted the story to I didn't want people to think that the framing of the story was specifically picking.
Speaker 3: On the Marlins as a.
Speaker 1: Franchise individually, because I think it's part of a greater trend you're seeing in the sport. Both you know, the the haves are spending at like accelerated rates and the teams that are not spending are just kind of holding firm. And so we could have written this like there would have been a historic disparity when the Dodgers played the Pirates this past weekend. There would have been this disparity when they played the A's. They share a complex with the White Sox, you know who. There's like almost a four hundred million dollar gap. So the Mardels just happened to be in last place.
Speaker 2: I guess, Well, and now we arrive on this series, which actually was an awesome beginning to the series. So what, in your mind was the most interesting part of what you put together? Like, what do you think someone reads and really resonates with them or stands out?
Speaker 1: Oh, I think I mean, I think it's the type of story that, how you I don't think it's going to change anyone's mind really per se because I think that everyone agrees that the payroll disparity in the sport is a problem, right, Like, it's probably not great that there's a four hundred million dollar gap. It's probably not great that you know, only teams in the top ten and payroll have won the World Series in.
Speaker 3: Five of the last six years.
Speaker 1: It's probably not great that a team in the bottom ten hasn't won since, you know, the three Florida Marlins. They just differ on the solutions, right like, people on the you know, the management side, would prefer that there are rules to curb the spending, which is why I think when the CBA expires at the end of next season, you know, the the sort of rancorousness of the likely lockout is going to depend on just how willing the owners are, you know, to push for.
Speaker 3: A salary cap.
Speaker 1: Obviously, folks from the you know, the labor side, believe that owners should be spending more, and they believe that, you know, it's like a reward a point to the teams like San Diego, like Philadelphia who have pumped a ton of money into their franchisees in the last you know, five to ten years and have sort of been rewarded by creating these contenders kind of out of the ether, you know, And the folks on the management side will counter back like, okay, but San Diego had to take out a loan to make their pay and the Phillies you know, sold a big chunk of equity this winter.
Speaker 3: Et cetera, et cetera, and.
Speaker 1: So like it's it's a common problem, you know, as AJ was alluding to, you know before the break, like there's always going to be labor strife in major sports.
Speaker 3: There's so much money involved. But yeah, like.
Speaker 1: It's it's basically like, why is there so much dialogue now about a salary cap as compared to the last time. It's because the spending disparity has gotten this wide.
Speaker 4: But AJ brought it up before the Marlins as an organization, I get it. It's different ownership, but it's the same mo make the playoffs or even win the World Series, break the team down. Even in twenty eleven twelve when they did the whole Burley and Jose Rays and all. Look guys, they even they sold the lies to those players. Come on in, we'll get your dog in the houses. It'll be great. And then bang trade and sell everybody. Is that ever going to change without Major League Baseball stepping in in some way to keep it a competitive league in the sense that it's about competition and that's why they have all these rules, or everybody would just do this and say, whatever kind of product we put on the field.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's it's a good question.
Speaker 1: I think part of what makes the Marlins so interesting in this case is that there are, like you, if you look at this just like in a vacuum, right, what Peter Bendix in his front office are trying to do with the team kind of stripping down the big league roster, you know, trying to you know, concentrate their resources on infrastructure and player development and you know all that sort of boring stuff.
Speaker 3: You know, a weight room, that type of stuff.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 3: It makes sense, right, Like it makes sense.
Speaker 1: We all know that teams in general are built from the ground up, and then you go out and get free agents.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 1: The problem is that you are asking a community in people in Miami to sort of trust you when the history of the franchise is basically not to be trusted. Now most of that is under different ownership, right, and not under Bruce Sherman, and certainly not under Bendix.
Speaker 3: And his crew.
Speaker 1: But like that's kind of what they're dealing with, and that's partially why I think there's probably app feet in that market. Yeah, and so like it certainly is a we will see if they will break the cycle, Like if this group, the Baseball operations group can build something of a you know, like the version of the Tampa Bay Rays, the Milwaukee Brewers and the competes, and then they'll see if they actually spend to try and keep up with the Mets and the you know, the Phillies, and you know, to an extent, the Braves. But like they're dealing with a lot of history working against them.
Speaker 3: I guess how much did.
Speaker 4: You press Sherman about the owner about the grievance. I know he declined to comment, and I don't know, you know what kind of situation you were in in a sense of like pressing him about declining to comment about most likely a grievance that's going to be coming because of their lack of spending through what they're supposed to the threshold that they're supposed.
Speaker 1: To be in. Yeah, I mean they you just said, he's not going to talk about it, and so you could sort of ask again and ask again. But when they say, yeah, we're not talking about that, you kind of okay, fair enough. But based on what their actions show, they do not appear to be all that concerned about it. They have not upped their spending in the way that the A's have. But you know that's up for them to try and explain because they just weren't going to talk about it.
Speaker 2: Crats. Let's talk about the number one recommended dermatologist hair growth supplement brand. And it's a brand that you are just starting your journey with.
Speaker 4: I'm using what about one and a half two months into my journey. It's a six months journey. See where, see what I can get? See a little thicker, fuller everywhere, filling it out. I don't know, We'll see what happens.
Speaker 2: I'm very excited to see the Neutrofoil results with KRATS. And don't show us.
Speaker 4: Your hat yet.
Speaker 2: Okay, you got to stay tuned through this journey. And if you want to join KRATS for this journey, you can start your hair growth journey with neutrofol For a limited time, Neutrofoil is offering FT listeners ten dollars off your first month subscription and free shipping when you go to nutrofol dot com and enter the promo code foul. Find out why. Over forty five hundred healthcare professionals and stylists recommend Neutrifol for healthier hair. Nutrifold dot com spelled and U t r A s O L dot com promo code foul. That's neutrafold dot com promo code f oul.
Speaker 5: Andy you mentioned you know what you said about they have no collateral. They have no they literally have no nothing with the fans. And I think that's the biggest thing about this whole thing that bothers me for Sherman to come on here and say, oh, we're building this. We built the thing in the Dominican and we got a better weight room, and we're doing the spring training and them now listen, spring training. It's them and the Cardinals. Okay, it's not just the Marlins saying oh so he looks like it's saying, oh, we're we doing No, it's you and the Cardinals. You know, Jupiter. The whole thing is also putting in a bunch of money. So let's not give him a badge of honor like, oh, way to go, you know, Sherman like you way to go, Bruce like. But also the problem I have is, you know, he says, and you said this, the fans. They don't believe them. They haven't given them anything to believe in the years when they've gone to the World Series and they've been good. The fans have come and they've come to the games, and they were I remember going there when they were you know, two thousand and three World Series. I was down there and it was it was everyone was wearing Marlin stuff. Ninety seven, everyone was wearing Marlin stuff. Right, But that for years and years and years, they haven't given them anything back. So at some point does I guess it's the old chicken in the egg question, right, do them spending and getting the trust of the fans first, or do the fans just have to trust that they're going to spend, which doesn't seem to ever happen.
Speaker 1: I think it's I think it's more about them putting a competitive product on the field year after year and not just you know, sort of basically finishing in last every year. Right there, The fans aren't going to come out to watch, you know, a last place team. This market, I know it's a bit apples and oranges, but like Miami, the Heat regularly finished like in the top five in attendance. You know, there is obviously a robust baseball culture in the city of Miami, and and you know, I would be interested to see if the baseball operations department gets things up and running and they have them being competitive, and that's sort of like eighty five to ninety win window, which is certainly not going to be easy to do in that division. But if they do that, if attendance improves and things like that, I suspect it would. But you know, that doesn't necessarily mean that they will be they will be competing for like whoever the version of Juan Soto or Kyle Tucker is three years down the road, right, Like, I think that they as a baseball operations department are looking at it as a challenge of like, let's try and create, you know, the most robust player development system we can, you know, have our sort of big league club and minor league system be an incubator for ideas, you know, try and be forward thinking and try and combat some of these inherent challenges.
Speaker 3: It'll be interesting.
Speaker 1: Like I think it's a it's a very experiment. Makes it seem like it's destined to fail, but I think it's just an interesting gambit that they're undertaking, and I'm curious to see how it plays out.
Speaker 5: Okay, here's here's here's a question on what you just said. Though we're not asking, and I don't think the players Association. I don't think players are asking them to go out and sign one Sodo Show, Tonny pretty Freeman. They're asking them to do more than spend one year four point five million on Kyle Quantrill. Do more, right, I don't think they're expecting them to be the Dodgers, the Mets, whoever you want to throw out there, but at least try to be competitive, not just say, ah, this is another year, we're just gonna throw it away, especially after two years ago they made the playoffs and they told the manager they're not coming back. They fired kim Ming, Right, they make the playoffs and they're like, oh, you're doing too good.
Speaker 4: Let's do something different.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, I think that that was a there was an obvious reason why there was so much frustration, you know, among you know, their what remains kind of their fan base after it seemed like they were kind of, uh moving in the right direction in twenty twenty three. I think at the same time, if you look under the hood at that team, it was a lot closer to a seventy five win team than an eighty five win team. You know, not to slight the accomplishments they had, but I think it was reasonable for them to say, like, Okay, we probably you know, still need to fix some stuff with the infrastructure.
Speaker 3: But yeah, like it's a it's.
Speaker 1: A reasonable, uh sort of complaint, like Okay, why can't you do both? Like why can't you spend on the weight room? Why can't you do all these you know, sort of infrastructure things and also add to the big league roster. I think it's a you know, a reasonable complaint, and you know, their their responses like we have a plan, we we kind of know what we want to do, and this is the way we're doing it.
Speaker 4: All right, So they're playing each other right now, the Dodgers in the Marlins? Is it unfair to say, are we are? We just putting the Marlins in? Everything they touch is terrible, Like when we talk about the pitch, Yeah, throwing, like practice, live batting, practice sessions. If the Dodgers would do that, people be like, they're innovative, they're the next thing. So how can we get away from that?
Speaker 1: I think you just see if it works, like see if their guys get better, like see if there's results on the field. I mean, I think when you know Joe Sherman had the story in you know, kind of near the end of spring training about how they were doing these live vps and you know, in place of bullpen sessions, and like a lot of people, I was like texting folks around the game, like what do you what do you got on this? And they were kind of and you know, some people were like this is dumb, but the majority of people I talked to were like, it actually makes sense. And at a time when more and more teams are thinking about competing in a practice setting, like sort of amplifying the pressure of practice to prepare you for the game. Yeah, it it makes a lot of sense. And if it works, it'll be a thing that in five years, you know, we will see teams doing. It'll it could be a thing, you know, as soon as next year that we see teams doing, or it could be scrapped before the year's over. I mean, I think that like a willingness to you know, sort of look silly is kind of what an organization like this has to do. And you're right cratzy, like if the Dodgers announced this or something, or if like you know, like Max Sureser came out and said like I'm getting rid of bullpens.
Speaker 3: I'm doing live BP, you know, because this is what I want to do.
Speaker 1: Everyone be like yeah, dude, like Max gets it, like this guy's like you know, But like the Marlins don't have that credibility, right, And I think to their credit as of right now, you know, they say they don't really care if people make fun of them, if their stuff works, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm with you. It's tough when that team is trying to lead the pack, right, I mean that's part of it too. I think you gain some credibility when you innovate and you're successful along the way. I don't think anyone wants to look at the Marlins over the past twenty years and be like, I'm copying that format. It's really working, right, there's winning, there's you know a lot of fans showing up the whole deal like it has not worked out, and I feel like they just built back up and then made the playoffs. Then they're starting over again. But I do want to spend some time on the Dodgers here, so I want to start with this, right. The off season was wild and super successful for them, and fans were freaking out. And since there're ain't no start about a five hundred team, I think it's safe to say this is not going to be the best regular season team of all time. They're not going to win one hundred twenty games. So what are your thoughts on the Dodger side of this equation where you know, money can buy you a level of happiness, but not all happiness. And then I want to get into a problem with the pitching injuries frankly, but what do you think overall?
Speaker 1: I mean, it's kind of about how you'd expect. I think maybe they've been a little bit worse, you know, than than you would have predicted.
Speaker 3: But like, yeah, they're they're.
Speaker 1: Going to win their division, they will be the you know, almost certainly the number one seed in the West, and we will see how it goes in October. You know, Toddler Glasnow's hurt Snell is you know a bit of a question mark, which should be okay.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 1: You know the running joke that a lot you know, myself and a lot of baseball writers were making as they just kept signing pitchers this offseason is like, well, all, remember this day when Ben Casparius is starting game one of the nld us, and you know Casparius is like now being stretched out potentially for the rotation. So like, yeah, I think they're perfectly in a fine spot. It's a long season. You know, they're hopeful that they can get through it in a scenario where like Snell, Glass, now, Yamamoto, Sasaki, maybe Otani and even Kershaw, you know, Dustin May all these guys are available, but most likely several of them are going to be down. But the whole point of the spending was just to you know, be able to throw numbers at the sort of inevitability of picture attrition.
Speaker 2: Okay, so let's get to picture attrition. You know, the Dodgers are down Glass now, right now, They're down Blake Snell, and we can go over a list of some others. How do we tie this into the Dodgers pitching? I would say epidemic. I mean, Andrew Friedman talked about it and said, we have to figure this out in the off season. But is it something that they're doing or is it more just about having a lot of money, spending that money on pitchers with elite stuff, and those guys tend to get hurt more often, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, it's not like Tyler Glasnaw was making thirty starts a year for the Rays before he came over to the Dodgers, So like I would just put him in a separate category. Snell's thing seems to be relatively minor, and they're just going to be kind of careful with it. And that's sort of the uh, you know, sort of the privilege of all the talent that they have.
Speaker 3: They don't have to worry about it.
Speaker 1: But you know, like, I don't know, is it something that the Dodgers are doing that Clayton Kershaw's on the ale or the fact that he's like pitched in the majors for seventeen years, right, and then they've gone through, you know a lot of stuff with you know, the Gavin Stones, the River Ryan's, the Machines, you know, all those guys. They had that autopsy this past winter in which they were trying to figure out kind of how to keep guys healthy, and it's like, you're all these guys who were coming off surgery.
Speaker 3: They're not suddenly going to be healthy in twenty twenty five.
Speaker 1: So some of that is just the residue from you know, kind of what they were trying to fix with their player developments system over the winter.
Speaker 2: Okay, well, if you want more on obviously this series in the big picture, then check out Andy's article right now in The Athletic. Put a lot of good work into it. Andy, thanks for joining us. Man appreciate it.
Speaker 3: Thanks so much. Have a good one, guys, Thank you you too.