Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, podcasts, radio News.
Speaker 2: The Stock Movers Report, your roundup of companies making moves in the stock market harnessing the power of Bloomberg Data.
Speaker 3: Let's take a look at some stocks on the move today. I'm Nathan Hager, joined by Bloomberg's Louise Moon, who's doing an admirable job keeping on top of all the earnings that crossed the Bloomberg terminal this morning before we get results from SpaceX later today. Lots to talk about this morning, Louise, including results from Caterpillar, which I guess is more than just an equipment company nowadays.
Speaker 1: Good morning, it is, Yeah, good morning. So it's obviously benefiting from this wider AI story, and we're seeing that play out in its results this morning. They've had their second quarter results topped estimates and shares up in pre market trading up about eight percent this morning. Essentially, this is continued strong growth in their power generation business, so that's on the back of data center spending has become Caspilla's largest, fastest growing segment over the last few years, and investors therefore have made the company kind of part of their AI trade. Alongside a bunch of other peers as well. So, as I say, earnings beat did well this morning. In second quarter results, got to be mentioned that the stock prise has declined in recent weeks. That's on that wider sell off that we've been seeing in AI kind of adjacent stocks, but this earnings beat is boosting those shares and pre markets, so you'd expect that to continue as trading opens today.
Speaker 3: Well, not exactly AI adjacent, but we're also hearing from a couple of major drug makers this morning, including MERK. Looks like a pretty solid beat there as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so good news again for them. Second quarter results sales above estimates, they boosted their sales outlook for the full year. This is all on demand for their newer drugs and that's helping drive their revenues higher. So they've been well. It shows that they've been making progress on building sales from those new products. They've been betting on them to make up for impending losses from some of their older blockbusters products. They're facing a lower price competition and aging and so Merk has been betting on these new ones and these results show that that is starting to pay off. So shares already up more than twenty one percent through the year and up again in pre market trading as well.
Speaker 3: Now, while we continue to watch the stocks that are reported this morning, there is still a lot of attention on the big one that issued its results after the close yesterday. That would be Palentier. Still catching a major bid this morning.
Speaker 1: Yeah, shares jumped seventeen percent in pre market. As you say, this was their second quarter results after trading yesterday. They raised their full year revenue and income forecast. So if you look at some of those numbers, they see sales now as much as over eight billion US dollars. Estimates were about seven point seven billion, so a big, a big raise their in comparison to the estimates. They described their commercial demand for their data analytics toolers otherworldly, So they're saying, you know, there's a lot of demand coming through there. And what this is really doing, it's calming investor fears. There had been fears that Palenteer would suffer from kind of AI developers like Anthropics selling their own software and then also governments outside the US turning to their tech firms at home, so reducing their alliance on US tech. But this is calmed investor fares. As I say, shares jumped to seventeen percent in pre market, and if those gains continue into trading, it'd be the biggest interday gains in more than a year for Palenteer.
Speaker 3: Yeah, otherworldly is kind of the word of the morning, isn't it comes those Palenteer results. I guess we have to wait and see whether we get other worldly numbers from SpaceX when they report later this afternoon.
Speaker 1: Yeah, March anticipated obviously after they're kind of their their blockbuster ibo earlier this year. This is being watched for if it will give investors reason to buy the stock that has been on a bit of a roller coaster and sinking more recently. So they closed on Monday down fifteen percent from their IBO and they're down forty nine percent from their all time high in mid June. So this is seeing if you'll give investors chance to kind of reassess that if it raised more questions and what they're going to do with that stock.
Speaker 2: The Stockmovers Report from Bloomberg Radio. Check back with us throughout the day for the latest roundup of companies making news on Wall Street and for the latest market moving headlines. Listen to Bloomberg Radio Live. Catch us on YouTube, Bloomberg dot com, and on Applecarplay and Android Auto with the Bloomberg Business App.