Speaker 1: You know what I can't I can't control of that. And and you know, listen, I've been I've been around this league a long time, and you know, if it's gonna happen, it's gonna happen, obviously. But but at the same time, I still have a job to do, and and and that's to you know, you know, get ready for a you know, a good division opponent here in two weeks.
Speaker 2: Welcome to jag Xam.
Speaker 3: I'm Kaanni Stevens, Brian Sexton, and John Osier are with me this morning. That's head coach Doug Peterson responding to questions about his coaching future as things go forward with this team. A absolutely terrible performance against the Lines. We're gonna start up with big things, which is effort list the worst loss in franchise history. Brian, there's rumors, there's reports about Doug Peterson going forward with this team.
Speaker 2: Nothing official at this point.
Speaker 3: When we talk about effort, we didn't see any of it in that game.
Speaker 4: Do you remember when I made the case that the Bills Monday Night lost was the worst loss in franchise history.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'm not remembering that either.
Speaker 4: There's no argument this is the most humbling, the most embarrassing, the most difficult loss for anyone to swallow, and the rumors that were swirling before the wolves are howling at the door right now. And it doesn't surprise Doug. He's been around this, and it doesn't surprise all the assistant coaches who have to deal with it. It just doesn't make it any easier, John, because the Lions they ran a hook and ladder play. Those are at the end of the game, right that's when you're trying to get back into the game. They were beating you twenty one to three and it was the second quarter, and they did it because they said, we can do anything we want today. And that's what it felt like that the Jaguars were hapless. And you know, thirty years of covering this football team, they've been bad at times, but hapless is not.
Speaker 5: A word I've ever used to describe them.
Speaker 6: Yeah, they've had bad games, bad seasons.
Speaker 5: I know a by Brian.
Speaker 6: Your wife's in real estate, so they know about comps. It's hard to find a market comp for this. It's they scored every time they tried to score.
Speaker 5: The Lions did.
Speaker 6: And not only it wasn't big plays early, it was We're gonna get eight and seven and eight. It looked like a JV team playing its varsity team, and that's not supposed to happen in the NFL. It was ridiculous and anything more. But like I was thinking about what we're gonna say on the show ran and it's it's hard because the performance spoke for itself. Anything we say is sort of piling on. Well, it's obvious you can't I don't know that you can lose worse than that.
Speaker 5: The score can be worse.
Speaker 6: But I've never seen anything like it, So I'm not sure what else I'm gonna say for a half hour, but we'll give it a whirl. I've got one more thing I want to add to this kind, and that is you watch their offensive line, and they were always four yards past the line of scrimmage involved in the play. They play at a completely different level than we have seen the Jaguars play at in all of twenty twenty four. They are impressive to watch.
Speaker 4: I think I said last week, I think that the Lions are the best team in the NFL. Well, I watched some of that Chiefs Bills game yesterday. The Lions are the best team in the NFL.
Speaker 3: It's not close. Let's go to our second big thing, which is three and out again. We're going to do our best effort to keep talking about this. John, I know you love it. We talked about this offense getting slow starts, but the last two weeks with Mac Jones at quarterback, you've seen what Trevor Lawrence has been able to do with this.
Speaker 2: I already thought what.
Speaker 3: Trevor was doing was impressive, and now when you look at what they've done the last two weeks, you realize he was doing a lot for this offense.
Speaker 6: He's a starting quarterback. He's good, he's a sending all the stuff we talked about, and Ma's a backup, and there are certain throws. It appears for the last two weeks that the defense doesn't have to respect downfield, and then when he does go downfield, the result has been interceptions. So I never really thought that there was a question. I mean, when Trevor was quote struggling, Oh, let's try Eimac to Trevor is the starting quarterback. And I guess for people outside the team, the statistics are so stark the difference that they realize it now. But it was never a question here.
Speaker 4: Trevor is a starting quarterback. You have to help him. You have to build a better offensive line for him. You've got to be able to run the ball better for him to be as good as he wants to be. And you obviously have got to figure out something on defense. I mean, that's a long laundry list. Three and out again, it's become their personality kind that when you need the offense to give the defense a break, just go and control the ball for a few minutes. They go three and out after each of the Lions' first two touchdown drives, and there were seven consecutive, which still baggles my mind.
Speaker 5: The offense goes three and outs. Part of that is play calling.
Speaker 4: Part of it is execution, but that the third part of it is it's it's become who this offense is. It wasn't good the last month, early in the first half of any of those games. But if Trevor Lawrence is in there, at least you think you have a chance.
Speaker 3: You didn't yesterday ran You talk about how the lines make everything look easy, the Jaguars make everything look difficult. That's our final big thing today as we look at how difficult things work for the defense. Josh Heinz Allen talked after.
Speaker 5: The game, today was not our day.
Speaker 7: Moving forward, man, I think we have a better message going tomorrow. Right now, everybody's lost for words, trying to figure out what to say, what what's going on?
Speaker 2: What it is is?
Speaker 7: You know right now it's point it's it's it's almost like point the finger. But instead of us getting to that point, we just need to not be emotional. Wait till tomorrow, watch the tape, triggure out what it is and move forward from there and uh, then we can talk about what the heck cammunity to do better. But again, like I said, Earl, today was.
Speaker 5: Not our day.
Speaker 2: Ermy today was yesterday. It was not their day.
Speaker 3: That's for Suair Brian and talk about loss for words, trying to figure something out. We know things aren't working at this point, and I don't know if we have the words either, but we're gonna try.
Speaker 4: Listen, people want someone fired, they want someone cut. The problem with that is is not starting, it's stopping. I mean, because you can point the finger of blame across so many different places that aren't working. The defensive line, the interior of the defensive line was on its back all day long, all day long. The corners, I mean, looks that passing attack is outstanding and the league is set up for the passing attack.
Speaker 5: Those corners were just where to go? Where do who go?
Speaker 4: Same thing on offense, the offensive line couldn't move anybody off the ball on third down and short the quarterback. I mean, just that's the problem right now, is that the Jaguars lack something John that they can absolutely say, well, we can do this. We can always count on being able to throw the ball to Evan in room or create some room for Traves Etn to find a cutback lane and great, you know, game three or four yards, you're just left with a pile of what is this?
Speaker 6: Yeah, they did get the ball to BTJ yesterday, so okay, that's a bright spot for the future. Earlier. I'm not at all saying you shouldn't got the ball to BTJ, but it's so hard to find. It's not even a silver Lions. It's okay, they did it. Look it's it's uh. I I think shod Con has to be careful. This is such a rain of sadness or of criticism, that's to be careful let's not do anything based on that, right and not. This is why owners don't make quick Hey I'm gonna do this right now. So I get why there was nothing done last night after the game post game every fans right all, why haven't they been fired yet? He has to be measured and he has to decide what's best long term. So I our emotion is sort of what caused me to think that way. I guess, Hey, don't make emotional decisions, be measured and make sure you do it's best for the franchis.
Speaker 5: You still have six games to play.
Speaker 4: Right right, I mean, if you start just throwing people out, you've got to be functional. And John bears noting you want your quarterback because you expect that Trevor Lawrence might be back in two weeks and Brian Thomas Junior and Tank Bigsby. You want some of these young players to make the most of the final six weeks, to come away with some development, some things that you can feel good about. I know that seems ridiculous after fifty two to six, but you got six more games in seven weeks. If you just say, you know, push the button, pulled the rip cord, everyone's out or at least key players. Are you risk the development of some of these guys at least not taking advantage of it?
Speaker 6: Well said better than I said.
Speaker 2: We appreciate Brian's words always sure. Stay with us here on Jagsam. Brian's gonna talk some more. We're gonna talk some more. Well, we'll all talk it out together. Stay with us.
Speaker 3: Jaguars fans can register your furry friends for the Jaguars Official Four Legged Fan Club for Pets, presented by Forever BET's Animal Hospital. Your pet will receive access to exclusive merchandise, events and sweepstakes throughout the twenty twenty four season. Visit Jaguars dot com slash promotion slash four Legged Fan Club to sign up today. We welcome you back into jag z Am today. A very tough one to watch yesterday. So we're gonna talk this all out. Maybe have a little therapy session.
Speaker 5: Here, Rosie, who gets some laid back on the couch.
Speaker 3: I think we're all we m we all might need a break at some point today, So let's talk this out. Brian, uh, John and I got the pleasure of watching this in person.
Speaker 2: You got to watch this at home.
Speaker 3: We're not gonna run through everything because I don't particularly wanna watch it all again, but let's start with I think this drive specifically is the second touchdown drive for the Lions. Showed a little bit of everything, and it showed me how well this team has been built. John audibly reacting when we saw this run from Montgomery off the top. I believe it was and just they could do whatever they wanted and in every aspect of the game.
Speaker 6: Well there I got right key plays for every game. And what struck me yesterday and writing about this when the game was in the balance, Brian, there were no key plays, No, it was just I wondered how you were going to do eight. It was just devastating drives. It's very rare to go to length of the field and then run the ball into the end zone inside the ten, just at will, and it's because usually the other team will stop you and force throws for some creativity. This was just doing this right, I mean, this was just I am better than you are. And really that's the analysis of the game. Everything else we're gonna be talking about is sort of filling air, right, because that was the difference. So stark of this is a better, more physical team and therefore they did what they wanted to.
Speaker 4: Do, and then the Jaguars compounded it with and we saw in that whole.
Speaker 5: Series horrible tackling.
Speaker 4: I mean, Ronald Darby had a shot at form tackling, breaking down and taking Montgomery down for probably a two yard gain, and it turned out to be a nine yard game because he went in there with one arm out. I mean, if you haven't played football, you know you're not gonna tackle an NFL running back with one arm.
Speaker 5: It's not gonna happen.
Speaker 6: Here's what also struck you, right, I mean interrupt. It was fifty two to six, and turnovers were not a factor though, Yeah, Ryons forced one turnover, and it was on the Jaguars, like what I mean, it was on their own like two or three. There was no field position flip. It was just we got the ball at the twenty five and now we're gonna go down score.
Speaker 4: Well, if I'm the head coach and I'm meeting with my defensive coordinator today, and I would be meeting with my defensive coordinator today, I'm looking at these drives. There was one drive I think it was fifty four yards and every other one was seventy yards or longer, including two that were ninety yards or longer. It was just they did anything they want. At one point they ran the hook in the ladder in the second quarter. It was as if they were laughing at you.
Speaker 2: Let's take a look at that hooking ladder, right, don't.
Speaker 5: We I figured that was going to be on the list.
Speaker 3: I mean, yeah, just misdirection plays, just doing whatever they wanted to do. I think third or fourth touchdown. Hard to keep track at this point, but yeah, they're doing whatever they wanted and that was not great to see and just and for me, it was we'd seen a lot of effort out of everybody for the last month or so, even with the dire situation that they were in. But we had seen them be in these games and one possession games. This was not even close to that, and it was clear from the jump that it wasn't going to be.
Speaker 2: I think we all had a little feeling going in.
Speaker 3: Obviously the Lions are one of, if not the best team in the league. But just see no resistance whatsoever. It was it was I think obviously the team felt that too.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and I think once I don't think you go in planning to have it be that way. It struck you as a game where they went down and got the early field goal, Okay, well here we go, and then the defense it just felt like collectively realized on the first drive, Oh, they're going to do this, and somewhere that three percent of you gets a little bit deflated. And that's all it takes in this league. So it's you know, I don't believe NFL players quit, but I do believe that they can lose their will a bit. And it looked like it lost its will yesterday. That's just watching it. And I don't know how you interpret what happened on the field yesterday.
Speaker 4: Well I couldn't interpret it because I wasn't there. But I'll take you this their offensive line, and we're going to stop talking about this game, I think today. So I'm gonna let me hit this with a hammer as hard as I can. Their offensive line is so much more physical. They play right on the edge of the whistle. There is a nastiness that brings in the personality of Dan Campbell, and the Jaguars had no resistance whatsoever. I watched Devon Hamilton two weeks ago in Philadelphia play maybe his best game, not just this year, but of his career. He was so disrupted in the middle of the field. I thought that's a good sign. Yesterday it was he was literally like a blocking sled and just pushed any which way and not by an all pro guard, right, And I don't mean to just single him out, but it was just so obvious that a guy who had played so well two weeks ago didn't have the resistance in two weeks time.
Speaker 3: I think it's extra frustrating for fans. I dare to speak for them that to see the lines put this together in the same amount of time that the Jaguars have been trying to rebuild themselves as well.
Speaker 5: Just throwing a massive log on the phone.
Speaker 3: But it hurts extra when you see it because you're like, wow, they've had three years to do so look what they have built in that time, Look what they've drafted. Look the culture of that team, and you see it and it works so well, and you just want it for yourself. And I think going forward, at least for us, we need to look at who we want and who we want to build around, you know, effort, right, So I'm watching this team blow out the Jaguars. Ventral Miller diving to save this play that we're going to see here gives with that huge run. That's someone we talked about. I need to look for a silver lining. I'm looking at who I want to build with. Watching that game, it's so easy to give up on that. But to see someone put an effort like that.
Speaker 5: He's listen, he is terrific.
Speaker 4: I started making a list of the guys that I wanted to carry forward, and there were ten that I was really excited about, which maybe more than the average listener the viewer this morning is thinking about. But there are some good players on this roster who have been lost in the wash of a season that is just absolutely gone. Andre Miller runs and hits and makes plays. I mean, if he doesn't dive, this is a touchdown. If he doesn't get him off his feet, Jamior Gibbs scores on that play, they ended up scoring anyway. But Ventre Miller is a terrific football player, and.
Speaker 3: For me, that's the focus. That's someone you want on your team. That's someone he would thrive on a Dan Campbells team. He's someone that is that same sort of energy, and that's what you need.
Speaker 4: Yeah, listen, this football team needs.
Speaker 6: More of that.
Speaker 2: Though, yeah, a lot more.
Speaker 5: I was trying to think of the right way to say it.
Speaker 2: It's more of that.
Speaker 3: All right, We're not gonna watch any more of this because I don't think anybody is going to enjoy that. But we are going to come back after this break talk about our hot takes and what we think going forward. Welcome back to jag Zam, brought to you by Firehouse Subs. Check out their new hot sauce bar that's been brought back, and of course Firehouse Subs also bringing you your hot takes today. I don't know how hot they're going to be, but we try. I had to be creative for you at least give you some sort of entertainment. So, Brian, what is your hot?
Speaker 4: Was in my game up in an emotional homeward because it's important to know that the last three weeks, right against the Packers, Eagles, and Vikings, I wouldn't have said this because it looked like the Jaguars were just not as good as those teams and they lost close games. But yesterday I felt as if the Jaguars didn't belong on the same field with the Lions, and clearly the score would indicate that they do not. Now, if Trevor plays, you know, maybe you're better than fifty two to six, but what is it fifty two to twenty four. If this was a premier league, the Jaguars would be in danger of relegation because yesterday it just looked like they were playing against was it Manchester United or man City? I mean, the best of the best, and they were not up to the challenge whatsoever. The Jaguars are lucky that the NFL doesn't have a second tier.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and they relegate the last three teams, and right now this is the last team, so I expect that could change, but right now they're they're there. I wasn't very creative, but my hot take was it's as bad as it gets.
Speaker 5: I mean it's I said that last week.
Speaker 3: I was just gonna say, but John is.
Speaker 6: My point is, you can't get be worse than this. In the NFL. They scored every time they tried to score, and then you had a fifty nine yard field goal which got credit to Cam literally hit it, but one of your points you needed a franchise record long field goal. So it's I'm not even in the mood to hammer it anymore. It was a ridiculously bad performance, and I mean it's I'm not sure where you go from.
Speaker 4: Well, here's where we could both be wrong and it could be worse. Is you don't get Trevor Lawrence back and against the softer part of your schedule, right, I mean the Jets and the Titans and the Raiders. These are teams that are in the same situation as you are. You don't find a way to climb out of that, So it could theoretically still not be good.
Speaker 3: That would be third number one pick in five years. All right, Well mine is a little bit different, So that's very hot, Tache. It's more of a shout out to social media. I'm gonna laugh to keep from crying. I just want to thank Jaguars Twitter, because you are the funniest fan base I've ever been around. You have a sense of self deprecating humor that I very much enjoy. Thank you for the memes, thank you for the gifts. Thank you for keeping this light, because it's not light and it stinks right now and.
Speaker 2: I'm really thankful.
Speaker 3: So if you haven't, go find something funny to laugh about today.
Speaker 2: Because the game was not good.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I wanted to watch more football last night, I just turned it off.
Speaker 4: I guess it was a great game in the Cincinnati LA Chargers game, and I just couldn't even bear to watch it. So I think I'm avoid football this week.
Speaker 3: It's a bye week, so that would be a good week to do that. Say, let's here, we'll talk to you about what's coming up before the bye week kicks in.
Speaker 2: Jags fans, if.
Speaker 3: You want customized Jaguars furniture for your home, checkout zipsure dot com to rouse all the customers options. Zipre is furniture for fans, also Texan, brought to you by Magellan Move the Freight, Move the Freight Magellan Transport voted the coolest office space in Jacksonville. You can apply online at Magellanlogistics dot com.
Speaker 8: It is the reality of this business, you know, obviously, you know it's not something anybody wishes for. You know, you've got so much love for everybody in this locker room and on this team. It's not something you wish for, but it's the reality. You know, we're not winning, and so you know, it is what it is.
Speaker 2: I'm anoid talking about changes.
Speaker 3: I imagine we will see some changes going forward at some point with this scene, because things are not working right now, so I don't know when that's going to be.
Speaker 2: It's a bye week, guys, that's we have. We will have a we'll have a break this weekend. I think that's needed.
Speaker 4: Yeah, listen, the wolves start howling at the door, and you you you can't get them to leave until you win, and that means you don't have another shot until the Sunday after Thanksgiving. And there is a discontentment angst the fan base. You mentioned them on social media that we'll just keep ratcheting up the pressure. The owner can't be happy with this anyway, so it just it just makes it feel as if something's coming, But don't have any idea.
Speaker 6: We're there again, That's what it is.
Speaker 3: We are here from head coach, a little bit later here from the locker room. We will be back on Wednesday with you. If you want to hear some more, have some more therapy happy hour tonight. Check that out with Pete and Tony. I'm sure they will have a lot to say. If not, we'll see you on Wednesday.