Speaker 1: Still the Place with Laura Layton, Courtney thorn Smith.
Speaker 2: And daphnews Aniga an iHeartRadio podcast. Hey you guys, there's jump in here and gossip and have memories and when we were all fabulous in the nineties.
Speaker 3: You get to talking about this stuff like remember when I remember when.
Speaker 1: So there's an old talk show clip of mine, kind of making the round of Norm McDonald, which comes up every few years.
Speaker 3: And I was on a talk show with.
Speaker 1: Norm MacDonald talking about a film, an art film I did with Carrot Top Calledture of the Board. And Norm McDonald leans over mid interview on the Conan O'Brien show and says, yeah, bored b.
Speaker 3: O r E D it was. I mean I was canceled today we would dis cancel him.
Speaker 1: Well, no, but it was so genuinely funny, like Conan keept saying I'm sorry, I'm like, are you kidding getting teased by Nor McDonald. I thought it was hilarious and I wasn't you know. I knew the movie was what the movie was, so I didn't take it seriously. So we thought it would be fun to talk about talk show experiences or live TV experiences like what what comes to mind when you guys think about moments like that, when there's this really surprising thing that happened on live TV and you just have to kind of roll with it.
Speaker 3: Do you guys have any stories like that?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 4: Speaking of Norm McDonald, he is that guy. He just has the greatest He thinks, if it's funny, say it, and it doesn't matter if it might be a little bit like ouch. You know, if it's funny, say it, and he does. He was in the SNL cast during the time that I hosted Saturday Night Live and.
Speaker 1: Was he doing Weekend Update. He was so extorted. I mean miss we miss him so much. Trust and peace.
Speaker 2: Norm.
Speaker 4: He was actually really kind to me. I was on the same plane with him flying out to New York.
Speaker 2: Really he was just hooking you in so he could make fun of you later.
Speaker 4: He was like trying to get material. I'm sure it's like an investor, and there was no shortage of that for sure.
Speaker 3: On SML.
Speaker 4: It's like I got there and they do a little bit of a they it's just a whirlwind of trying to put together what the sketches are going to be for the week, and you go into these meetings with all the writers in the cast and everybody's there and they're throwing out pitches of ideas, and it was they're sessing you out. They're kind of, you know, assessing what can you do and who you are, and it basically like was noted, well, you know, since you're so exotic, you you know, we should probably do so. And it was like very clear that they were going, Okay, you're such a plain midwestern person, like made fun of that in a way, like okay, let's you know, so like I had this goofy, sort of exotic like gypsy sketch with Norm MacDonald and anyway. I mean, it was truly the most exhilarating experience to the terrifying too, absolutely terrifying and exhilarating, unbelievable, and I wish it hadn't been wasted on me as a twenty five year old girl who twenty's like however old. I was just a wide eyed and overwhelmed, and you know, it was just this wonderful experience I'll never forget. It's, you know, maybe the thing that I'm most proud that I got the opportunity to.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's extraordinary.
Speaker 4: It was amazing that you got to do that, but talk to those are a whole different live beast anyway, Like there's so anything can happen, and like for you, Court Norm was the other guest on the couch and he's interjecting when it's supposed to be kind of like your turn to talk about your stuff, and he's interjecting doing his thing, and like the unexpected thing that you.
Speaker 3: Kind of have to go with is so.
Speaker 1: But it's so much fun because people who haven't done them don't know is you have to do this pre interview and a good pre interviewer will chat with you and make you feel funny. A bad pre interview will say, tell me something funny, tell me a funny story, and you're still on the spot. So they have an they're going for these stories that you're going to tell, and you have to make sound spontaneous. And one time I was on I was telling a story about my sister's wedding and my dad telling a joke as we were walking down the eye and I was on with Don Rickles, was Tonight Show and Don Rickles leans over and goes, your dad sounds like he's crazy, and my dad loved it, right, Don Rickles and he teased my dad and that was my dad's favorite thing that don.
Speaker 2: Like, he teas me the genius amazing.
Speaker 3: So what about you, JAF do you like to do them? Daf?
Speaker 2: I there's one that I've seen around that I remember doing with David Letterman, and he was like going after like my boyfriend. My boyfriend at the time was named Billy, and He's like, Billy, Billy, what kind of billy man is Billy?
Speaker 3: What does Billy do?
Speaker 2: And I'm like, oh, he's a professional, and he interrupted me and said wrestler.
Speaker 3: God, I was hoping you were going to say wrestlers.
Speaker 2: Billy's Billy?
Speaker 3: Good?
Speaker 2: So what's Billy? Like? I go, well, he's a chef and he cooks.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, what was he cook? What do you eat? What do you eat?
Speaker 2: And I just felt so like fish And then he went through all these different kinds of fish and I felt so thrown off, like I thought I was going to tell you know, like you said, Courtney, the stories that you go through with the producer beforehand, and yet then he just came at me and I and I felt a little bit like it was at my expense, do you know what I mean? Like this young actress who is like, you know, has this boyfriend and he was making fun of him and the idea of him.
Speaker 3: But what I always helping though, Right, that was Letterman's thing.
Speaker 2: It was him being funny, yes, going after it, and I did get I think it was right after I finished uh Melrose Place, because I got to tell him everything that Joe did. That's where I say that the baby, the back and the fourth and this and that, and then I gave him up for adoption and uh anyway, so I just remember that being like when am I going to get to just be funny on my own? I had to respond constantly to his being making joke after joke after joke like that in my eyes, Well, there's different like who were your favorites to do? Like?
Speaker 1: I always loved doing the View because you got to just relax because there it's just like hanging out with the girls, right, and Conan is so fun and he really listens and he's really out there to make you look good and have fun.
Speaker 3: What do you think what were your favorites to do?
Speaker 4: I had an uncomfortable experience, like you're talking about daff On, like where you have an expectation of like, this is what they said we're going to talk about in the pre interview, this is what they said we're going to talk about, this is what they said they wanted me to do and whatever. And I had one actually with Jay Leno and it was as I was leaving Melrose after the very final season and I was going on the Tonight Show and then it was they somehow in the pre interview said I heard you play the trumpet or that you used to play. I'm like, oh god, no, no, did that as a youth in my childhood.
Speaker 3: Whatever.
Speaker 4: They're like, well would you do this on the show. We am like no, no, no, no, this is really funny whatever. And they're like, okay, this is going to be okay. I like sort of reluctantly agree to do that, so, you know, play along whatever. And the premise was like they wanted to know you're on this show, tell us now is he gonna die?
Speaker 3: Is she you know? Is she coming back for another season or is she gonna die? I'm like, she's she's dead. We saw her die, you know. And they're like oh no, they're like and.
Speaker 4: Then the trumpet comes out and it's like pedny, and so I start to play tax.
Speaker 3: Horrible, Oh my god, because I don't play the trumpet anymore.
Speaker 4: Whatever, and he's like all right, up right right, and he like and it was just like everything was so like, wait, you told me I was going to do this, and now you're not. And he was like literally like pushing the trumpet away, like I'm like that thing you're talking about, but I think I'm going along with a bit.
Speaker 3: But then you're like just so hard to anticipate. Oh yeah, Oh I.
Speaker 2: Hope they can find these clips that we talked about. I would love that.
Speaker 3: I need to see you with the trumpet.
Speaker 4: It's horrible and it's I'm sure it's findable.
Speaker 3: It's terrible. So these talk shows not easy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're very intense and it goes so fast. Yeah, Like they're fun to cook, like Rachel, you would get to cook something if you were on uh like I did Martha Stewart and I got to make my hummus.
Speaker 3: Like that's fun. If you can actually do something exactly, they're not trying.
Speaker 4: I feel like the late night talk shows are like, you know, fast, and like if if they feel like the energy needs to change, they'll just change it. And so you as the guest, because suddenly, you know, going along with this new energy that it's really hard to anticipate. Doug was being I think he did the Martha Stewart one, like you're saying, and she had him fold a fitted sheet.
Speaker 3: Which.
Speaker 4: My husband knows how to fold a fitted sheet to this day.
Speaker 2: God, I remember that's something about that I didn't know Doug was on. I to this day, every time I fold a sheet, I think, Martha.
Speaker 4: Stewart, you, I'm sure that he's how to do it.
Speaker 1: The next time I see Doug, I'm gonna have him show me how to fold a fitted sheet.
Speaker 3: Mine end up a little lumpy. I did one.
Speaker 2: It was, oh my god.
Speaker 3: I was mortified.
Speaker 2: Do you remember Greg Kannear had a talk show back in the days nineties. I did the Greg Kannear Show, and right before I was so nervous before we went on, I went into the bathroom and I so that nobody could hear me pee. I clicked my you know how the mic is, there's a mic pad box behind you, and then it was already miked up, and so I'm in there, I'm like, ha, they're not going to hear me pee. So and then I just walk out. I get all ready and I go back out and we're sitting there live and Dobby b I come down and suddenly somebody goes, what what, Oh, they can't hear you and I and they moom a boom comes in and so I guess we couldn't redo it. So, oh no, I can't hear my wonderful story about the White House and everything and stealing toilet paper and all on. Thing is like, I just go, oh my god, I went to pee and so you could. I just told everybody, what the hell, I'm so sorry. I turned it off, and he goes, we don't sit around listening to our guest pe.
Speaker 3: I just want to let you know that's not a thing. I still though.
Speaker 1: If I'm working on something, you always wear mics now, and I always turn it off before I pee, because.
Speaker 3: You don't just remember to turn it back on.
Speaker 4: You don't know if the sound guy's just checking mics at that moment.
Speaker 3: And yeah, they should check before you go on.
Speaker 2: I mean they just stay around between setups, you know. All they gotta do is go, let's see what old Daphne's doing in there.
Speaker 3: Yeah. No, we actually shouldn't even turn it on until you go on.
Speaker 1: Yeah, remember I used to turn it off and on when you leave set.
Speaker 3: Now that's so funny.
Speaker 4: But doing it on a talk show.
Speaker 3: Like, oh my god, I was so moreed. But I was like, you know what was.
Speaker 1: Super fun when we did talk shows to promote this. It was so much fun to do it with you guys. Yeah, that takes all the pressure off because like, yeah, we're having a ball. Then suddenly it's I can talk about the view or one of those shows where they're the talk. When it's a group of women, I'm immediately just relaxed, like I can do I can hang out with you guys all day.
Speaker 3: So that was super easy talk. You're just chatting, you're talking in a group.
Speaker 2: I just know that it always seems like it goes so fast, Like I think at the top is like four two segments, maybe a four minutes or something. So when the three of us were doing it, it's like all I gotta do is just like they'll turn to me and say one thing, you know, and then you one thing and kind of spreads out it. But I just remember doing them, it just goes so fast and you're like no, wait, because so you have to learn to talk in sound bites, you know, like oh yeah you have are you have your PR person and they're like, okay, so what you kind of do is this, and you can't be like, well, it's funny, you should ask.
Speaker 1: And you want to be spontaneous, but it doesn't work because that's not how the system.
Speaker 3: I remember one time I thought, I'm going to go and do this show. I'm just gonna be authentic.
Speaker 1: I'm just going to be just myself and not do the bit horrible just it was just horrible.
Speaker 3: It was just like silence.
Speaker 1: I was like, okay, so I do need to do the kind of the like sitcom version of me for a talk show, because you've got three minutes. You got to cut in and hit it. You can't just there's no warm up time time. How are you like, there's no time for that.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, I've never.
Speaker 4: Been more nervous than on any given talk show. Like that makes me the most nervous of anything at all, more than even like doing Saturday Night Live, which feels a little bit more like theater, you know, that feels like enjoying some Yeah, but talk show nervous is just nervous.
Speaker 3: And even with the three of us.
Speaker 4: I just think as.
Speaker 1: In general, as a genre like talk show, it's very artificial.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right, guys, Well, since we're all so nervous and miserable at it. No, I'm just kidding, we're so.
Speaker 4: I just have to say, I'm so grateful for you that we that none of that, Like, we get to just sit around and chat and we have none of these feelings.
Speaker 3: It's just so relaxing, isn't it in our very homes? All right, it's so good.
Speaker 4: To see you as you have a Melow's minute to talk this out.
Speaker 3: All right, Great to see you, guys.
Speaker 2: We'll see you soon.
Speaker 3: Bye guys, By everyone, Bye,