Speaker 1: Pushkin.
Speaker 2: I'm Jacob Goldstein, and this is what's your problem. My guest today is Mark Barochus. He's the CEO of Shark Ninja. When Mark started at the company in two thousand and eight, they sold a mop and a cordless sweeper, largely via infomercial. Today, Shark Ninja sells six billion dollars worth of stuff every year, mops and vacuum cleaners, but also ice cream makers and air fryers and blenders and hair dryers and this thing that's supposedly good for your skin and has lights on it and you put it on your face and it makes you look like a Lucha Libre wrestler. What I'm saying is they sell everything now, and they sell it everywhere. I wanted to talk to Mark because Shark Ninja is an innovative company, not in the frontiers of science sense, but in the making a blender that does something you've never been able to do at home before with a blender since also in the designing products to go viral on social media sense. As our editor said, Shark Ninja is like Bell Labs for stuff nobody really needs but lots of people clearly want, and so there is a lot to learn from the company. In our conversation, Mark and I talked about how the company develops new products, the trade offs it makes between engineering the perfect product and the good enough product at the right price, and why the secret to going viral is Schmutz. To start, I asked Mark to tell me about the company's first big, non obvious leap from selling mops to selling a new kind of blender.
Speaker 3: We looked at the blender market and we said, you know, what do consumers want to do with blenders. Well, in their home they were doing one thing. But outside their home, American consumers want to frozen drinks. And you'd go to these Mexican restaurants and you'd get a frozen margarita and they'd be done in these kind of professional, big blenders, and you'd get home and you try to make it, and a blender had blades that were on the bottom, and so you'd put the ice into the blender and the ice would just jump up because we'd never get to the blades. And then so you'd add more liquid and add more liquid, and by the time you added a whole bunch of liquid, you no longer had a frozen drink. You had this kind of cold, watery drink. And so we said, well, hold on, if this is what consumers want, we have to solve the problem of making restaurant quality frozen drinks. And we said, why are the blades on the bottom, Why don't the blades go up the top. And if the blades go up the top, you can put a whole bunch of ice in it. You can turn the ice to snow. And we ultimately, you know, developed this technology and we would buy bags of ice in gas stations and we'd walk into the Walmart buyer and we would fill the ice to the top of the picture. We'd put the blade inside and we turned the ice to snow and we'd pour the picture of snow onto the table and we'd say, look at this fuel, this consistency. Well, the buyer thought we were crazy at the time, but that was the secret ingredient to making these creamy, restaurant quality frozen drinks. And so when we went out and the first time we launched this Ninja Master Prep was in two thousand and nine on QVC and instantly it sold out. One day, we sold like forty thousand units in one day.
Speaker 1: Was the biggest success we had.
Speaker 3: Ever had one day in the company's history, and what it was was that the minute we did these demonstrations, consumers immediately said, not wow, I've never heard of this brand Ninja, you know, or oh, what an interesting blender. What they said is they solved my problem. They solved my problem. That's what I want to do with a blender. Well, that is everything that Shark Ninja stands for today. That when the consumer sees what we've developed, whether it's a fan, whether it's an air fryer, whether it's an outdoor grill, whether it's a skincare mask, whether it's a hairstyle, or whether it's a vacuum, what we want is for the consumer to look at the product and say, they solved my problem.
Speaker 2: I know your partner did infomercials. Did you ever do infomercials? Because I suddenly feel like I'm watching an infomercial.
Speaker 1: I did not do infomercials.
Speaker 2: Is it true that you were going to call the thing that became the Ninja the Fiestaville.
Speaker 1: It is true.
Speaker 2: You could have been Shark Fiestaville instead of Shark Ninja.
Speaker 3: We could have been Shark Fiestaville. But you know, there was a you know, there was a retailer buyer that said, look, I love the product, but the name is a really dumb name. And they said, you know, go back and come up with something, you know, more more compelling. And we actually we looked at the blades. If you've ever seen a Ninja blender and you see the blades that go up, we kind of looked at them and it was like kind of when we were a kid, you know, you would take a Chinese star and you throw it against a tree or something and it would stick, and you know, literally, I think there was probably forty eight hours after that meeting where they told this Fiestaville was stupid, We said, how what about Ninja?
Speaker 1: And we socialized it and people said.
Speaker 3: Oh, you know Ninja, I don't know, Ninja maybe sounds like a dumb name as well.
Speaker 1: Look it ultimately proves to you.
Speaker 3: I mean, Ninja last year finished at a three point three billion dollar brand. We never acquired a dollar of revenue under the Ninja brand.
Speaker 2: So you've built this giant, multi billion dollar business. I read a recent interview with you where you said, you still feel like you're always losing. What's going on there.
Speaker 3: I mean, every day we're either gaining loyal consumers or we're losing frustrated consumers. And you know, I don't think that success is permanent. I also don't think that failure is permanent. I think failure is a temporary can condition, and I think success is a temporary condition. And I think that you earn the right to stay in business every day. You earn the right, you know, to generate revenue from the consumer's hard earned dollar every day. And I think that when I go into the office in the morning and I read a one star review about our products, I mean, it ruins my day. I mean it genuinely does. I mean, at the size of business that you are today, and if you get a five star review, it like puts wind at your sales. And so when I'm saying that I feel like we're losing, I feel like there's so much more that we can do.
Speaker 2: I want to talk about your product development process in a little bit more detail. And I thought it might be useful to talk about a specific product. And I wondered if we could do the Ninja Creamy the ice cream maker, because in part it seems not obvious like this seems like a case that the people of America were not clamoring for an ice cream maker to put on the counter. Where did that come from? And sort of step me through the process of actually making that turning it into a product.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 3: So look, product development is like getting little nuggets and insights and kind of trying to put all the pieces together to what we call create a mouse trap. Okay, and that mousetrap has to have.
Speaker 2: Wait, am I the mouse in that metaphorm in potentially potent? You're catching me when I buy your product. You might want to refixt that.
Speaker 1: And so the question is what is that?
Speaker 3: So we had ethnographic researchers in restaurants and we started looking at how do high end restaurants make ice cream? I mean they're just opening up a Ben and Jerry's thing and scooping it out. No, I mean they're actually making ice cream in very very expensive machines in these restaurants, and they're controlling the ingredients, and they're tweaking the ingredients and doing all these things.
Speaker 1: So that was one data point.
Speaker 3: There was a second data point where I I have two children that both have nut allergies, and you know, I have another child that has a dairy allergy, and so we felt like there was a whole market around people that would be willing in their home to kind of craft ice cream due to dietary restrictions or allergies or things like that. That's a second data point, okay, that we know. Third data point was that we know that consumers love doing things that kind of bring people together, bring families together, and so the ability for you to be able to make ice cream, you know, as a family is like an exciting thing, like everyone gets involved, and so there's like a communal aspect to it. So there's those three things that were coming together.
Speaker 2: Let me ask just before we got farther there. I mean, you mentioned there was an expensive restaurant machine, right, Is it right that part of the story is like it was going off patent, they had some particular intellectual property in it was going into the public domain. Is that right?
Speaker 3: There's lots of machines out there that you can buy in restaurants.
Speaker 1: I mean the point was, yes.
Speaker 2: What there was not some intellectual property opportunity that was some part of this.
Speaker 3: No, in fact, in fact that Ninja Creamy has a lot of intellectual property within it. But it was it was how is something made outside of the home that tastes so great that the consumers not able to do it inside of the home. Now here's something very interesting for you to know. It was never the idea of Shark Ninja to develop protein ice cream, Like we created this hardware.
Speaker 1: Okay, this Ninja creamy product.
Speaker 2: Well wait before protein ice cream is like the end of the story, right, I feel like there's a few more things that have to happen first. Like one is, you have to figure out how to turn the eight thousand dollars restaurant machine into a two hundred dollars machine. Right, how do you do that?
Speaker 3: First of all, we start with a target price of what we we'd love to sa sell it. Now, sometimes that target price is you know, complete pie in the sky where we go to the engineers and we'd say, we'd love to be able to sell this product for one hundred and ninety nine dollars. And after the engineers, you know, get back off the floor and tell you how dumb you are, because you know the motor is going to cost this and the PCBA is going to cost this. In the ways we say okay, like let's now start figuring it out, like how large could the size of the pint be? You know, in order to be able to kind of control all these variables. Product development is about managing all of these different you know, requirements. It's not about developing the best product always. It's about that trade off, its tradeoffs, and it's about developing the best performance at the best quality, at the best value, and it's the combination of those things. Sometimes product development is actually a vanity exercise. There are times where I go on to Kickstarter and I look at a product and the product is amazing, Okay, is it is incredible what they've done.
Speaker 1: And then you look.
Speaker 3: At the price tag and you're like it's eighteen hundred dollars. Yeah, and you're like, listen, for eighteen hundred dollars, you're dealing with such a small of a small consumer base. So going back to the creamy example, we had to sit there and for literally months and months it was trade off conversations.
Speaker 2: My understanding. So it comes out in twenty twenty one in the pandemic, you have this thesis about everybody's home and cooking, which was correct, but it doesn't seem like the Creamy really took off when it came out.
Speaker 3: Yes, and we started in the second half of twenty twenty two focusing it much more on social media. We started seeding it to lots of people.
Speaker 2: This is your marketing strategy, right, This is a good time to talk about that. Like you guys do as much creator marketing as let's say, anybody to a first approximation, right, tell me about what you did with the Creamy and how that sort of reflects more broadly the way you do creator marketing and social media marketing.
Speaker 3: Well, let's start with the end result is to have consumer organic flywheel going.
Speaker 1: That's the end results.
Speaker 2: You don't have to keep paying creators forever for a given produmt No.
Speaker 3: And by the way, it becomes so authentic when thousands of consumers are sharing their insights and are sharing their best recipes. But you have to light the organic flywheel. And so you light the organic flywheel by getting creators, chefs, other key opinion leaders that are doing things with the product to start to spur excitement. Now, fortunately for us, by the time that started in the second half of twenty twenty two, we already had lots of units.
Speaker 1: Out in the market.
Speaker 3: So we started investing tremendously at that point in social media influencers, social media marketing, and by Christmas of twenty twenty two, that started activating the people that had bought the product. At the end of twenty twenty one and into twenty twenty.
Speaker 2: Two, activating mean it got them to start.
Speaker 3: Posting exactly, sharing recipes, posting, troubleshooting, unboxing.
Speaker 1: Unboxing is a really exciting thing.
Speaker 3: I mean, people, there's a whole cottage industry of influencers that just go on and do that. We don't pay that just do unboxing of our products.
Speaker 2: Just to make this clear, this is literally people who open products and take them out of the box and that's the video. I will say, I love returning things. I have dreamed of making reboxing videos for other dads who love returning things, but I haven't done it.
Speaker 3: And on the unboxing it's like going through first use, like getting the consumer all the way through the unboxing process to the first use. As we got into twenty twenty three again that started accelerating. I mean, we started finding more and more use cases. The beginning of twenty twenty three is when protein ice cream really started so.
Speaker 2: Was it protein ice cream that really sent the creamy through the roof with that? What did it?
Speaker 3: Protein ice cream was a huge catalyst of being able to do it. And what protein ice cream did was it started this massive creator group of just developing their own ideas. There are you know, influencers that have channels of just will it creamy?
Speaker 2: And are you still putting money into it at this point when this is happening. Are you like seeing this and be like, oh, yeah, let's put a lot of money into protein ice cream.
Speaker 3: So we were putting a lot of money into it in twenty twenty three. Okay, here's the interesting thing that turned and it turned on us, I would say the second half of twenty four where there was so much organic content being developed that we no longer had to put our own marketing money behind it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I have my own creamy journey and we booked you before this happened. So it's just a coincidence. First of all, you're starting the viral marketing flywheel. Worked on my teenage daughters who know everything they know from TikTok. They asked for a creamy for Christmas. It's great, we made gelato together. Your dream come true, and then it broke. Wow, Yeah, it just broke. It just broke. Do you want to guess how it broke?
Speaker 1: Tell me, I'm anxious to hear.
Speaker 2: Okay, my daughter, I think she put the bowl in wrong. I mean, she's a teenager. I don't feel like I had. But there's an interesting question to me, which is to what extent I guess to some extent it's my fault because I'm the dad or whatever. To what extent is that my fault? To what extent is that my daughter's fault? And to what extent is it your fault? Because it like, it's not like we dropped it. It was not like a gratuitous thing, and like it seems like it was kind of easy to break it.
Speaker 3: Frankly, Well, here's what I would say, Like it's all my fault.
Speaker 2: Okay, I mean I'm not saying that.
Speaker 3: I'm truly not no, no, because listen, I mean, if we understand now, like what your daughter did in terms of you know, maybe she pushed it in the wrong way and maybe you know, she got some resistance and she overshot it.
Speaker 2: It's clearly a mistake other people have made.
Speaker 3: Okay, And you know what I would say, is that like, from the time we develop a product, as we're getting consumer feedback on the product, that product is evolving and changing. Okay, we're making constant upgrades to those products. Now, I'll give you a good example. When we came out with our first blender, we drop spoons and forks into the blender and to make sure that like that wasn't going to break the blender, because you know what, something could slip out of somebody's hand and it goes into there. And from a reliability standpoint, the product should be able to stand up to kind of what we call.
Speaker 1: Like reasonable consumer abuse. Okay, now I don't know what your your daughter did was reasonable.
Speaker 2: Consumer it was reasonable. I think it was reasonable. The bull get stuck seems like a thing. Although I will say, let me say the end of this, I'd actually not dealt with it, because of course you don't deal with it whatever. And I was like, oh, I'm interviewing the guy this week. I better deal with it and see what happens. And so a couple of days ago, I whatever, I filled out that just the thing online and it was a Christmas gift and like we didn't have the receipt and I was like, oh, it's gonna be a pain of this. It actually was good, at least so far. I went online a few hours later later that night somebody was like, Okay, send us a picture of these things, and I did that and they're like, okay, we're gonna send you a new one. So, as far as I know, a new one is on the way. And actually my other daughter, not the one who cause I broke it, she was like, wow, you got to tell the guy. It's great. So I think a reasonable resolution.
Speaker 3: But look, it goes to the example of what I said to you in the beginning about winning and losing, like you had an experience, and regardless of whether it's your fault or it's our fault, you know, I want you as a consumer for life.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it would be better if it hadn't broke, right, Like, there are lots of other things where you got to put the bull in right, But if you put the bull in wrong, it just doesn't turn on. It's not like broken and stuck forever right. Right, Although presumably this is one of your trade offs. I imagine the engineers were like, oh, we could fix this, but it would add twenty dollars to the cost or something, and not to say that you should have chosen the other trade offf to be clear, I'm not I don't know, but I imagine they knew that it could break in this way and they couldn't fix it, or they couldn't fix it at a reasonable price or without lowering the quality or something right in the.
Speaker 3: End, I mean, And I'm sure that the person who you randomly sent this in didn't know that you and I were speaking.
Speaker 2: No, absolutely that I didn't tell them, no, of course not.
Speaker 3: And so the fact that they made it right, you know, kind of lives up to our positively impacting people's life.
Speaker 2: The breaking was worse than an expected, but the resolution was better than I expected, and the ice cream is quite good. Like, we'll get a new one and we'll make more ice cream.
Speaker 3: And my hope is that your daughter is like, hey, like the Ninja brand really stood by.
Speaker 2: It still to come on the show what Shark Ninja learned? When they say their employees into ordinary people's houses to watch them vacuum. Tell me about the ethnographic research that you do, like, in particular, who are the people who do it, what's their background and sort of why are they particularly good at their jobs.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So you know, Steve Jobs always had you know, a famous line right of like you know.
Speaker 1: You wouldn't do focus groups.
Speaker 3: And I don't think it's really a question of like not doing focus groups. I think that the consumer doesn't know what's possible, right, They just know the world that exists with them.
Speaker 1: So when we go into one hundred consumer homes.
Speaker 3: And we watch them vacuum, and eight of those consumers turn the vacuum over, take a knife or a razor blade, slice the hair off the brush, roll, pull the hair out, throw it in the garbage, and at the end of the cleaning session, we say, is there anything you do to improve your vacuum?
Speaker 1: They say, no, I think it works great.
Speaker 3: And we said, well, what about when you nearly sliced your hand off and you pulled the hair out, And they start apologizing for it. They start saying, oh, we have two daughters with long hair, we have pets in the house. That's just they've learned to live with the problems of their existing products.
Speaker 1: They don't know what's possible. They don't notice it.
Speaker 3: There and say to our researchers, Hey, I'd love if the vacuum didn't wrap hair for fifteen years. Every two weeks they slice the hair off the brush roll and they throw it away.
Speaker 2: I feel like you don't need to be like that insightful to get that one. Like I feel like not to be a modest I feel like I might notice that one. Like, what's a subtler thing, you guys.
Speaker 1: We'll think about this.
Speaker 3: Before we came out with Shark's self cleaning brush roll about four years ago, there were eighty years of vacuums that did not have this technology.
Speaker 2: Fair Enough, I didn't notice it. I didn't come out with a self cleaning brush roll. But I imagine the people who you have going out into people's homes noticed much subtler things than that. And I'm curious about the subtler end of what they're doing.
Speaker 3: Sure, I mean, I'll give you a great example. In twenty seventeen, we came out with a product called the Ninja Foodie. At the time, all the rage in kitchens was pressure cooking. People were pressure cooking pressure cooking. It had like completely reinvented itself.
Speaker 2: It you're not saying the name, but that's what we're talking about.
Speaker 1: Pressure cooking. And so if you go online. These pressure cookers were.
Speaker 3: Getting very good reviews, I mean four point five stars, you know, four point four stars, and so there wasn't an obvious problem. We went into consumer homes and we observed that many people were taking the food out of their pressure cooker and were then putting it into the oven under the broiler, and they said, well, a chicken is very tender, but it comes out and it's like it's it's not crispy, and it's like a little like dull looking. It doesn't look all that appealing.
Speaker 2: A broiler finishes a nice move, like if you're cooking stick, it's up under the broiler at the end. It's a move, yeah, exactly.
Speaker 3: And so so there was an example where where we came back and we said, wow, there's a problem. What if we had a pressure cooker that could crisp? And that was the original Ninja FOODI. It became a huge success for us. Okay, the Ninja Foody kind of launched a whole new line of cooking products for us. It ultimately became a very very successful business for us. But that all came out of that little insight. If you would have comed consumer reviews, you would have never seen it in there. If you would have asked consumers, you'd have never seen it in there. It's watching people in their homes doing little things and then saying, well, what if we could combine the whole process for them. Now here's what's something interesting about it. Let's go back to your point on product development. In product development, there was always an approach that we called TOA, and toe TOA was referred to as the threshold of acceptability on a product. Okay, So, for example, a TOA on a vacuum cleaner might be noise. Yeah, I see, you're never We're never going to have something silent, But you know, how do we make it so that it just gets to a TA level?
Speaker 2: Quiet enough on any on any dimension? What is the good enough bar?
Speaker 3: Exactly where a consumer is not going to go online and write a review and say, oh my god, I unboxed this product and I can't believe how quiet it is. Okay, it's so it's just TOA is what you're going to put into it. Then you've got something called toe. Toe is threshold of excellence. Threshold of excellence is, for example, in a vacuum cleaner, we do an amazing job cleaning. Okay, and in particular cleaning carpets. When you use our product for the first time on carpets, the amount of dust and dirt that is in your dust cup, it's a wow. Consumers love seeing their dust cups filled up. They like these big dust cups and then they love to empty them and say, oh my god, I can't believe what was in my carpet there before I bought a Shark vacuum, And so a toe is something that the consumer is going to go online and write a review and say, I use my Shark and it is unbelievable.
Speaker 1: Okay, I can't believe what its like.
Speaker 2: I get it. So, but like I feel like you're going somewhere with this, like land this idea for that.
Speaker 3: So now there is a thing called TOV and TOV is threshold of viral or threshold of virality, and that did not exist pre two thousand and four, and so from two isn't it for onward? We now as we're developing a product, we now look at it from first principles of how is this product going to drive virality.
Speaker 1: We developed a product that.
Speaker 3: Just came out last holiday season called the Shark Facial pro Glow. It's an at home facial product. This is a product that you go around your face and you put these topicals on and it extracts the dirt from your pores and then it hydrates and moisturizes you. What we found is that what people love is looking inside of the dirty canister. Okay, after it's extracted and they see gunk.
Speaker 2: So it's all this schmutz was just in my face. That is the virus.
Speaker 1: I love schmutz. Okay.
Speaker 3: They love schmutz in a in a vacuum cleaner, dust cup. They love it in a facial you know, gunk tag.
Speaker 2: That's your real secret, at least on the other Shark side. That is your secret to billion dollars success. People love schmud.
Speaker 3: That's that's exactly. But I mean we'll develop business cards with that.
Speaker 2: Okay, let's talk about a few things that haven't worked for you or that you haven't figured out. I mean, you tell the story of sort of success after success, But what's something you did that didn't work.
Speaker 3: Back in twenty ten, we were just getting started in the vacuum business and we developed the Shark multi vacuum. We became enamored with this had massive suction power in this very small compact vacuum. The reality was is that it was like an erector set. Okay, if you've typed in Shark multivac, you could still probably see it. Okay, we couldn't scrub the Internet of the Shark multivacs.
Speaker 2: Erector set meaning too complicated.
Speaker 3: Too complicated, not easy. Its aesthetically unpleasing. You know, nothing good about it other than the fact that from a performance standpoint.
Speaker 1: It was a okay in the way.
Speaker 2: In the way you did it interesting. So it's like it was an amazing vacuum, but it sucked. Is the interesting justa position?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 3: Yes, we launch it into the market and it is a disastrous failure.
Speaker 1: Okay, at a time when our.
Speaker 3: Business was much much smaller, we we knew it was.
Speaker 1: Going to be a failure right away.
Speaker 3: We went to retailers proactively, We cleaned it up. We said we're going to liquidate the price down. It took us about a year to sell through all the inventory. But we looked at that and we did a post mortem of that, and instead of saying never speak about the Shark multi vac again, we said, like, there's something in this thing that's amazing, but the way we executed it was totally wrong. And so we ultimately said, there's something is exciting why every vacuum is designed to just clean floors. We want to develop vacuums that clean the floor but also allow you to go above the floor everywhere, and in all other vacuums that was done with a hose. And so it gave birth to a product called the Shark lift Away. The sharklift Away was developed in twenty eleven. It became the number one selling vacuum cleaner in the United States in twenty thirteen, and the sharklift Away is still the number one selling vacuum cleaner in the United States. And this all came from all the technology that was in that Shark multivac. So I pointed out because when you say like failing, we fail every day, Like I don't have to go beyond today, okay to give you examples of failing.
Speaker 1: Okay, what failed today? What failed today?
Speaker 3: We were developing product we're launching in Spain, and we realized that the packaging that we sell in Spain doesn't have anything in Spanish. But we just launched in Spain last holiday season, I mean three months ago. Our business is growing fast. We didn't take a step back and say, hey, well, I mean our packaging is not in Spanish. I mean we're not catering to the Spanish consumer. I walked out of a meeting three hours ago where this insight was served up by none other than our sales leader in Spain that was trying to work around this, and we stopped the meeting and we said time out, like we need to fix this, like we need to fix this yesterday. So you look at that and you say, like, how did we get to a place where we launched the product into the market and you know we don't have Spanish language on the packaging.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Now here's the thing.
Speaker 3: Like I said to you in the beginning, failure is all temporary, Okay, failure is a temporary condition.
Speaker 1: Like we're going to change this.
Speaker 3: We're going to react quickly, We're gonna move, We're gonna get it done, We're going to get.
Speaker 1: It into the market.
Speaker 3: I know consumers in Spain are loving our products and they're engaging with us tremendously on social media, but you know they're seeing Spanisanish language social media and then the products showing up in their house it's showing up in their house in English or in French or in German or something.
Speaker 1: And so so we got it. We got to do right by the consumer.
Speaker 2: What's a category that you want to get into but you haven't figured out?
Speaker 1: I mean there's so many.
Speaker 2: I mean, you know, what's your white whale, what's like, what's There's got to be one that you're like, come on, I really want to make X. What's X.
Speaker 3: There are a number of things in the roadmap. I think the wellness category is ripe for disruption.
Speaker 2: Okay, what does that word mean in the context of your business?
Speaker 3: So we got into skincare, and like, our skincare business is growing tremendously globally.
Speaker 1: I think that opens.
Speaker 3: Up the next doors for us SCALP, you know, other places in the beauty space. Like people's feeds are not just about skin care. Let's look in like, what are people engaging with. They're engaging with health, they're engaging with wellness, they're engaging with kind of what are ways to kind of improve the quality of my life. I think sleep is a really interesting category for us to consider and think about.
Speaker 1: So here's the thing.
Speaker 3: If I had one core technology, I would be landlocked. If I took that core technology, I applied it to a bunch of different things, and I was done.
Speaker 1: Okay, there was no other place for me to put it.
Speaker 3: My core technology is I want to go find the next consumer problem to solve, and I think there's an unlimited number of problems to solve.
Speaker 2: We'll be back in a minute with the lightning round. Let's finish with the Lightning round. Slightly more random. What's the most things in one that you think a home appliance could be.
Speaker 1: We have a product that's a thirteen and one, so.
Speaker 2: You have right now on your website the Ninja fourteen in one possible cooker pro.
Speaker 3: Okay, so fourteen is now the new benchmark. I'm confident we can go to sixteen.
Speaker 2: What's one appliance or device you wish you guys had invented?
Speaker 1: I mean, you know in the iPhone.
Speaker 2: I mean this is something iPhone good one. I like your thinking big, is this something.
Speaker 3: That good people can't live without? I mean, look, I think there's a lot of people that can't live without their Ninja creamy, and we've read consumer reviews. If I can't live without it, but I think I think the iPhone does a pretty good job of that.
Speaker 2: That is an extremely strong answer. What's a tip for me if I want to tell real user reviews from fake reviews.
Speaker 3: Look, I think there's an authenticity element that you can see, you know, as people are talking about a product, or particularly when they're writing about a product.
Speaker 1: I think that people can.
Speaker 3: Read through, you know, somebody that is reading off of a script versus somebody that has had some aha moment.
Speaker 2: What's one thing you learned selling T shirts as a student at the University of Michigan.
Speaker 1: The consumer.
Speaker 3: I mean, if you do right by the consumer, you know, and the consumer feels like they're getting value, they are going to keep coming back to you. I mean, I remember I was selling T shirts. They were five dollars a piece at J. C. Bennett, Okay, and you know, there were other brands at the time that were selling you know, fifteen twenty dollars T shirts and I was And I remember, like I never aspired to sell like the highest end things. I aspired to, you know, have something that delivered extraordinary value to the consumer. And even at that time, I remember I was buying Haynes Beefy t T shirts.
Speaker 2: Those were good T shirts. I remember hits me fifty.
Speaker 3: They were good quality, and I remember there was a competitor at the time that was selling fifty to fifty polyester cotton T shirts and minds were Haynes BFT at five dollars screen printed.
Speaker 2: Actual shark versus actual Ninja battle to the death, who wins?
Speaker 3: And that's like asking like which one of your kids would win or something.
Speaker 2: Come on, but it's not the metaphor. Not the metaphor set aside the company.
Speaker 1: Look a Ninja's pretty cunning. I mean so yeah, yeah, it's hard to go.
Speaker 2: How much water is there? Seems like the obvious question to be right, like the more water, the worse for the ninja. Thank you for your time. It was delightful to talk with you.
Speaker 1: Same here. Thanks for having me.
Speaker 2: Mark Barochus is the CEO of Shark Ninja. Today's show was produced by Gabriel Hunter Chang and Leo Rose. It was edited by Lydia Jenekutt, and it was engineered by Sarah mcgare. You can email us at problem at pushkin dot fm. Please do email us. You can also find me on LinkedIn. I'm on x at Jacob Goldstein. Thanks for listening. We'll be back next week with another episode of let's Your Problem.