Speaker 1: Welcome back to the Drive.
Speaker 2: I'm Dale Ali. He is the Matt Williamson and Matt there's some interesting articles here that looking at me. We're gonna do a little fantasy football focus here. Yes Thursday, so I saw an FT and Fantasy They made mention of, well, there's a couple couple different stories here.
Speaker 1: The first one on FT and fantasy stuff out. Yeah, I told you. Aaron Schotz was on my podcast. Had a really good conversation with him for half an hour.
Speaker 2: What do you say about the Steelers ranking?
Speaker 1: I kind of avoided it. We do like three rookie class, Yeah, and we were talking more about the matchups and how strong the Ravens and Niners are in dvo A history, and we kind of mentioned, you know, the top couple of rookie classes. I'm like, I think you sold Steelers a little short and he's like maybe, and we just kind of brushed it off, but I didn't dig deep into it, but we did good talk. He's a good dude.
Speaker 2: So they have an article here what changed in twenty twenty three And we've talked a little bit about this tight ends. It's no longer lonely at the top there's more than one tight end now, yeah, worth having that's.
Speaker 1: Changing drastically, and.
Speaker 2: That would be one thing that if I'm the Steeler, if I'm Mike Tomlin, and he talked to Dave's like, I want I want a new offensive coordinator who's going to take advantage of all of our offensive weapons. Pat Froermouth to me, is one that they live untapped.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, I mean he's had We saw that he can have big games still and I do think there were some injuries this year, but there was plenty times where he just didn't get utilized enough. And I kind of look at them as the horsey on the chess board, you know, like they're just a little weird. They're a little different, but you match up it. But if you know how to use them, man, they're dangerous suckers. And in the fantasy world, not to digress too much, but I remember some of my ESPN responsibilities were I went to the Fantasy Summit every year and there are eleven of us that had to vote, and so basically we're there for like a week and whenever you guys would go on your you know, anyone use the ESPN uh fantasy software and you see the tight end ranks US eleven built that. Yeah, and so we all kind of argue for our point. And I remember it's a old I am. I mean Eric Ebron's rookie year. He was a super high pick and huge discussion. This guy is a super talent. He's going to a great spot. But rookie rookie tight ends never produced. That's the rule. That's the rule, and it kind of has been. But lately it's switching, like I don't think that's a rule anymore. And look at Laporta, Kincaid, even Pitts his rookie year. I mean it over a thousand yards touchdowns, but like they're coming in the league and doing more now too.
Speaker 2: Well, if you think about with Friarmouth, even his first two seasons he had sixty plus catches. He was only the second tight end in league history. Wow, to have sixty plus catches in each of his first two seasons. That's going to change next year.
Speaker 1: Ye get back to that group.
Speaker 2: Is that group is going. I'm just saying overall in the league, that group is going. It's not going to be just Pat far.
Speaker 1: And Keith Jackson was the other one. Jackson rumbling stumbling bubble or something like that.
Speaker 2: Right, it was a tremendous you know, Laporta Muskray. These guys are going to right now some you know, I think Kinkaid and Laporter were the only two rookies that got over sixty probably, but they're both probably going to get over sixty again next year unless they get hurt.
Speaker 1: But like McBride didn't do anything as a rookie, Yeah, but then blew up in his second year, and I bet he think goes over sixty next year, you know what I mean. So, like, there are a lot more tight ends, even if Kelsey and Waller and some of these guys are fading off quickly, but more coming to the league and more. I think it's some of a sort of a coordinator thing. More are contributing early.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, now it is more of the pass catching tight ends. You're not going to ask those guys to be blockers necessarily. No, they're big guys, but they're not blockers. They're coming in it from college programs. The college programs are playing a spread offense. Yeah, they're being used as chess pieces at the college level in a big way to catch passes.
Speaker 1: The best example is going to be rock power. Yeah. I mean, my he go fifth overall, mighty, go twelve, but he's gonna go in the first half of round one, and we're gonna have this discussion, Well rookie tight ends z and blah blah blah. Yeah, because he's also not with all, he's not Mark Bruner. You have to look at him as a receiver. Yeah, yeah, I mean we talked about this a fair amount last week because the Bills are a great example. How often do we talk about eleven personnel twelve personnel. Teams want eleven and a half personnel, you know, they want Kinkaid and Knox to be out there, but Kincaid can do receiver stuff. So we don't really have an answer for eleven and a half personnel as a defense, right, you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: Well, just think about the success had a lot to do with this, the success the Steelers had this year at times with the thirteen package that they played there. Yeah, yeah, you know.
Speaker 1: What's the answer. Yeah, what's the answer for that?
Speaker 2: Because you've got and they've Yeah, I mean, you always bring up the basketball analogy with you when you're when you're building your wide receiver room, your receiver room. These these tight ends, you've got power forward. That's basically what they are, right in that group or the center.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but the Steelers three don't look anything alive.
Speaker 2: Nothing alike, Like if the room, you wouldn't know they were all.
Speaker 1: The same species, right, one's a fullback. One looks like a big d lineman, you know, right, Yeah, I mean, and they do things differently. So you're crazy if you're a defense if you count Hayward and Washington as the same player, right, They're just not. And another thing is, and the Steelers have experiences good and bad. There's such a shortage of second level defenders that you can just leave at the Fred Warners and Rokwond you just leave out there. So who do you exploit those guys with, you know, right, right right? Or you try to get as many of them on the fields. You probably want to keep.
Speaker 2: Those mediocre inside linebackers on the field as opposed to the defensive backs who are much better, They're much more skilled.
Speaker 1: It was actually one of the things the Bills did really well against the Steelers was everyone knows, especially with their status there linebackers, the Steelers are a heavy base team or they're a heavy dime team. So coming into that game, all of a sudden, their dime package looked a lot better than it did. Maybe this back Kz's back. So what the Bills do, This is good coaching. They put a sixth offensive lineman on the field for a third of their snaps to make the Steelers heavy, you know, and therefore you're gonna get Walker or a compromised Roberts and try to get them matched up on Kinkaid. That's today's football. I mean, that's what the Steelers should try to do with Muth. Yeah, and they have done some of it.
Speaker 2: I think that's going to be a huge part. You know, everybody wants to focus on the quarterback here. I think you need to bring the best out of Pat Firemouth.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And he's actually getting a point too where it might be extension time for him soon. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean, he just finished year three and so he'll have one year left.
Speaker 1: You know, I'm not worried about him at all, by the way, No, I'm not either.
Speaker 2: In fact, you know, when he was asked about if any of the young players stepped up in a way that he hadn't expected in terms of leadership, he said, yeah, we've had, we had some guys that, you know, you didn't necessarily expect that to happen, and they did. And he said, well, can you name any people you know who are you talking about there? And one guy that he mentioned was Pat Firemoth.
Speaker 1: Okay, I mean he seems quiet. I mean, I don't know him. I mean, but that's great to hear. I mean, you know, like Nause steps up and says his piece. I've heard a lot of good things about Roderick Jones in that capacity too, So maybe they are some of these young dudes. Yeah, the next generation of leaders is starting to sprout. Yeah.
Speaker 2: But yeah, so I think the tight end position. And I tie that into this because I saw this article on CBS Sports dot Com and it's it's really right, all eight division round teams, the final eight teams have this one thing in common, and that one thing that they have in common is very good tight end play.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're dangerous tight ends. Yeah, and I agree. I mean, I think there's an art to using those guys properly. There's certainly a bigger need for them. There's an influx of them coming from the college ranks. As you mentioned, some wide receivers just start to blow up and turn into a tight end. And it used to be like, well, yeah, but you don't block anybody, we don't care. You're playing in the Big twelve anyways, and you just run space anyways, preferably against linebackers and safeties. But if we go through the teams, it's kind of a who's who with the tight ends in the league right now. I mean it really is. Campa's the only one that's so so, you know, yeah, and they may not be in this thing much longer.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean that to me is the big Like again, I Tampa was the one team that I wanted to get one of those teams that I wanted to go against in the first round of the playoffs, and I couldn't because they were playing Philadelphia, which is one the team that I wanted to go against.
Speaker 1: The most in the playoffs. And it's been a great year for Tampa. They've out kicked their coverage, but they played a broken Eagles team and I think they're in for a long day this upcoming. It's going to be a very long day.
Speaker 2: But you know, you look at the rest of them, you're like, yeah, they get I mean, I know, you're not the biggest Dalton Kink or not Dalton k Dalton Schultz guy.
Speaker 1: But he's a quality player, quality player. Yeah, and even Brevin Jordan there's not a bad player too. He's a dangerous move guy, just as as kind of their Connor Hayward type. So I mean, let's think of him. Aten's the one I don't think is tremendous, but they're very happy with the talent. Yeah or yeah, Kittle Kiddle might the Hall of Fame. I mean, Kittle's a dangerous player that if he wasn't playing with you know, great receivers all over the place, he might be an eighty catch a year type of guy routinely. And I don't even know what is.
Speaker 2: He's the only he's the only tight end in the league this year to get there a thousand yards?
Speaker 1: Was he really tremendous after the catch? No, I don't think Laporta did get it. I don't know, but he's still in it. Laport is still in it. The young pair in Green Bay. People might not realize, but they've come on huge. Musgrave I loved coming out of school and took him a while, and then he got hurt and Croft stuff huge, and now they they're really set for a while.
Speaker 2: Then they end up drafting two of the top five tight ends.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this year's awesome tight end draft. Yeah, and awesome tight end draft. And then you look at Baltimore. Andrews is practicing again. By the way, it was a full participant, Yes, was he really and likely they kind of didn't even miss a beat with him. So they've got a pair of him. Now we already saw what the Bills can do. Kelsey goes without saying even if he's not quite what he used to be, and Schultz is good. Yeah, yeah, right, like those are dangerous dudes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it may not be the flashy you know, Tony Gonzalez. Sure, thirteen hundred yards or something like that, you know, or you know, classic Kelsey, you know when he's in his prime, one hundred catches and thirteen hundred yards. But if you get you know, sixty five catches for eight hundred yards out of your tight end.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I mean eight years out of ten, Laporta would win Rookie of the Year. Yeah, Kelsey, Kittle, Kelsey's going to the Hall of Fame and moonwalking in. Kittle's got a chance and some of those young guys are very promising, the Concaids of the world.
Speaker 2: Yeah, one of the best in the league for a long time. It was you know, in fantasy drafts, you draft a tight end. If you're going to draft the tight end, just wait unless you're getting one of those top.
Speaker 1: Two or three guys. Yeah. Now I think the landscape is much different.
Speaker 2: I mean, I I drafted Andrews this year in the league that we were in, uh.
Speaker 1: In the.
Speaker 2: Was the top of the fourth round, the third even maybe late late third tight end off.
Speaker 1: Yeah it was, but it was late third round.
Speaker 2: Then we got to that point and I'm like, there was none of the running backs that I really wanted to take there.
Speaker 1: And I think he was falling past adp when you because I know, yeah, he was walking that. I got to get Mark Andrews.
Speaker 2: Yeah right, I'd much you know, rather pivoted to one of the younger guys later.
Speaker 1: Just kind of now you can do that, Now you can do that. Yeah, I mean, and then there's some dudes like Ingram and the Jokus that are kind of hitting their stride.
Speaker 2: Han Ingram led tight ends and targets this year.
Speaker 1: I think catches too. By a bunch by a bunch, right, I mean those those are like the traditionals. Well, it takes till you're about twenty seven to start hitting your stride blah blah blah, and they are you know, I mean so Joku m same class. You know Howard didn't work out of that class. He still struggles catching the ball, yes he does, but they throw to him a lot. I mean you wouldn't mind have him on fantasy this year?
Speaker 2: Yeah for you. I think he's a better fantasy player than he is in real life.
Speaker 1: But trying to think who's something, I mean, Dallas Goddard still a really player, Like I don't think I can count of a Waller anymore. But maybe Mayor with the Raiders is going to blow up here, you know, So there's a lot of them to pick from.
Speaker 2: Now you mentioned, you know the kid in Arizona.
Speaker 1: There's both mcbrides. Yeah. McBride's used to be a really high picking fantasy right here.
Speaker 2: I mean it's you know, tight end used to just be a.
Speaker 1: Spot that you just hope he catches a touchdown. Yeah, I hope.
Speaker 2: I'll take you know, three for forty and a touchdown is what you're looking for not anymore.
Speaker 1: No either going all in on a Kelsey who might win me the league, or I'm just going to hope that he falls in the end zone somehow, you know, some big goof you know, And it's not how it works anymore. These guys are after the catch specialists, move all around. Some of them run obscenely low for you forties and things like that too. So and a lot of them come in the league year after year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So they taught the ten tight ends. They they have top ten tight ends on average what they produced this year. That includes the two rookies Tucker Craft and Musgrave and Kate Aughton with so you know, you're reading some guys who weren't exactly star stars. Yeah yeah, but the eight playoff teams they're still alive. Their average tight end production was fifty six point three catches for six hundred and thirty three yards and four point six touchdowns.
Speaker 1: Wow. Yeah, that's pretty good. I mean, that's a valuable contributor. That's what Friarmuth should have. That's what I was gonna say. Like, if you look at Pickens and Johnson, this is a credit to them, but in a way they had way too much of the receiving yards between the two of them, you know, like there was a big drop from who was number three as a Steelers third best receiver. I think it was Warren.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he ended up with right the most catches.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and with respect to him, he's a great, great receiver. But that needs to be Friarmuth or an early pick receiver or you know, one more dangerous downfield guy, you know, and Farman is very capable.
Speaker 2: Yeah, No, I'm with you. I think that's something that you know, when Mike Tomlin sits down with whoever that that offensive corner, how can you bet that first question is how can you, you know, better help my quarterback play better?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Yeah, how can we turn him into a guy?
Speaker 2: The second question is how do you bring more out of the tight end position on this team? We need to we need to get more of that and scheme things up a little bit differently.
Speaker 1: Hm. No, we had an untapped resource here and that isn't gonna fly.
Speaker 2: Yes, I mean, if George Pickens is George Pickens, Deontay Johnson, those guys are going to get theirs.
Speaker 1: But we need to we need to.
Speaker 2: Diversify a little bit across the board.
Speaker 1: No question, no question, and Friar moves very capable of the thing. You got you you don't have to go get him right, he's on the on the roster, it's been successful and he passes the eyeball task easily too. Yeah, high quality player.
Speaker 2: Well, let's get to another break because I want this next segment to be a little lengthy here. So he is Matt Williamson. I am Dale, Lollie. That's going to do it for the Fantasy Football Focus. Uh, tomorrow we will pick our DFS lineups for the weekend.
Speaker 1: All right, we get, we love it. Yeah, we get.
Speaker 2: We can do a Saturday and the Sunday schedule where it could just do one big I don't know what.
Speaker 1: We'll figure figure a big beefy one huh. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, But we're gonna get to a break now. We'll be back with more in a drive right after this.
Speaker 1: Welcome back.
Speaker 2: I'm Dale Ali, he is the Matt Williamson and Matt, what do I wanted to do here in this segment is kind of go position by position and then get your grade for the season on said positions.
Speaker 1: I mean it's just quarterback, right and we're not talking about versus verus that guy.
Speaker 2: Okay, so well, you mentioned it's let's start at quarterback. You went ten and seven with this group, but you played Kenny Pickett, you played mitchter Bisky started two games, Mason Rudolph started three four if you count the playoff game, and they produced thirty four and twenty one yards, thirteen touchdowns, nine interceptions.
Speaker 1: So I'm gonna do my best to do these in comparison to thirty one other position rooms not my expectations, or boy, it was a nice story that this guy played better than expected or I've hoped for when we can talk all through those things anyway, but I think you have to give it a C minus. I mean, there were some good things. I'm going to put a lot of value into valuing the football. I am too. I mean, I think that comes into play here quite a bit.
Speaker 2: One that you won the interception battle against other teams, yeah, sixteen.
Speaker 1: To nine, and you won a lot of those games, and you won a lot of the fumble too. Yeah. And Rudolph's play at the end of the year was very, very good. But a number you said there is hard to get around. I mean, thirteen touching touchdowns, Yeah, they ain't could have cut it. Put it this way.
Speaker 2: So the Steelers quarterbacks this season, the Steelers passers finished with a quarterback rating a passer rating of eighty four point six. Opposing quarterbacks against the Steelers this season finished with the passer rating of eighty four point seven.
Speaker 1: Oh how about that?
Speaker 2: There you go, And they threw sixteen interceptions.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, and more touchdowns more touchdowns. It was only twenty three. It's not on that you know, ageous number. Yeah, but if that could get to a B minus, yeah, it's probably two more wins if patrids just in general.
Speaker 2: Eighteen touchdown passes, yeah.
Speaker 1: Right right. I mean I don't think twenty is too much to ask for.
Speaker 2: No, I don't think any offense averaging one per game more or.
Speaker 1: Less is not not going to get it done, right or yeah, less than it's not gonna get it done. It would be nice to get to one point per game, and I think that's asking too much. So, yeah, that's below the standard, I mean, below the average.
Speaker 2: Okay, let's move on to the running back position.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna go B plus. Okay. I mean I don't think it's the best in the league, but I don't think it's all that far off as a room. No.
Speaker 2: I think I think when you look at the duo, the only one that you would say is clearly better than that duo is the one in Detroit.
Speaker 1: I don't know it's clearly. I mean, Games is really dynamic.
Speaker 2: I mean you could you could argue that Atlanta with with Algier and and Bijean is pretty good.
Speaker 1: But I mean McCaffrey at anyone. You know that type of argument obviously, But no, I thought those guys both had their best seasons as a pro. Warren as a receiver is really really impressive. I think Harris gives you enough in that regard. His attitude, runs, especially late in the year, have a ripple effect that you won't see on the stat sheet. Yeah, I mean, and yeah, I think you're really happy with that round.
Speaker 2: I mean, you got eighteen hundred rushing yards and twelve rushing touchdowns, and you also got another ninety receptions out of those two guys.
Speaker 1: That's pretty good running back. Yeah. You get a lot of production out of that room, no doubt about it. So I was sniffing around today, I forget where it was, and I was just looking at explosives. So in terms of pass plays of twenty or more yards, they were only better than five offenses. Yeah, but run plays of twenty or more yards was fifth best in the league, right, you know, like you kind of see why those grades are going where they are.
Speaker 2: It shouldn't match up that way, though, because if you're running the ball that effectively, and you would think you would get more people in the box and you would have them more explosive passing plays.
Speaker 1: But I think my hunches those passing plays came more late in the year too. I mean, some of the Pickens ones when they.
Speaker 2: Were getting explosive early in the season, they were explosive explosives like the seventy yard touchdown masses that you know, they just weren't hitting those consistently enough.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So no, I think you're very happy with the running back room in terms of grades. How about the receivers, hmmm, be minus. I mean, I think we can't forget that Johnson missed some time. Yeah, Pickens highs were really high. I'm not even saying his lows are low, but he had some stinker games.
Speaker 2: That's just I think that's the kind of receiver that he is.
Speaker 1: I think the next step is not having more be more consistent. You have a stinker game, be fifty yards four catchys, you know, not.
Speaker 2: Then then you know, you know he was upset that he didn't make the Pro Bowl. That's how you make the Pro Bowl.
Speaker 1: Yeah, in this.
Speaker 2: League, as you be, you know, you're consistent game in and game out.
Speaker 1: And Alan Robinson is a contributor. He's a tough grade for me because I don't care what you invested in him, but I want a better third receiver than him. But his blocking was important for the way they played the game. I mean, so it's not like he didn't have value, but I really want to upgrade there in the offseason, hopefully with one of these rookies coming out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so that makes you awfully young in that room.
Speaker 1: Again, I know I have part of my concerns too, Right, you'd love to have the Hayward Bay.
Speaker 2: I mean, yeah, you'd love to have that guy. And that's kind of what Robinson was for this group.
Speaker 1: I think that's why he's brought in. Yeah. At the same time, you know, it's.
Speaker 2: It's it's difficult to have George Pickens and you know, another rookie and Deontay Johnson. Is you know he's getting up Yeah, twenty I think he's twenty seven. Yeah, you know, I don't know. I don't know what the true answer is there. I mean, I like the talent that those guys have in that room.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but more consistency would be good.
Speaker 2: What consistency would be good? And you could do without some of the attitude at times.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no doubt I would have liked a little more out of Austin. I mean, if you if you've again going back to our camp shows, if you told me his final stat line, I'd be like, I bet it's better than that. If if that was the over under nine, I would have went over and I'd have been wrong. Some of that's on the quarterbacks one, no doubt, no doubt they have a massive ripple effect on all these positions.
Speaker 2: Yeah, how about the tight end positions since we were just talking about that in the previous segment.
Speaker 1: I'm really high on Washington still and expect him to have a nice jump in year two.
Speaker 2: But Matt Pro Football Reference Pro Football Focus said he graded out as like the sixty second Oh yeah, I didn't even see that is a pass blocker. They didn't mention his run blocking. Okay, they only mentioned the pass blocking.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, okay, fine, I'm still going to give that room a low grade. Though. I think this back to our conversation of I must heart friar Mouth played bad, but you can get enough out of the room, So I'm gonna give him a c. Yeah.
Speaker 2: He got thirty two catches for three hundred and eight yards and two touchdowns At of Firearmouth, Hayward was twenty three for one sixty seven. I thought they could have used him there a little better.
Speaker 1: Or right. I think he can create more mismatches and Washington.
Speaker 2: I know everybody screams about what they need to throw the botle. Washington hit ten targets, seven catches for sixty one yards.
Speaker 1: He's not a pass catcher. Yeah. Now, maybe he'll develop a little bit more with that, right, I mean, I think he can box out in the end zone and get your key first downs and that type of thing more than we saw. But all in all, I didn't love I don't want him.
Speaker 2: I don't want him having more targets than Pat Farreerman.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, no, no, people. I hope people don't look at it in that light. That's even close.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so well, let's let's talk about the offensive line.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was a mixed bag, A mixed bag.
Speaker 2: Now, there were some injuries early in the season I think kind of slowed their growth rate a little bit. But I thought, you know, probably around week six or so, they started really starting to kick into.
Speaker 1: There's definitely some high moments. I think the guards overall are a really really solid pair, well well above average. I would say it's a BB minus maybe. I mean, there isn't a star amongst them, but there might be sooner than later. I think they need a center. Yeah, I do too. Yeah, I mean I think center was a liability basically start to finish. I can live with a Dan Moore, but I can't if he's your worst guy clearly in the other four or better. Okay, you know, but not with him and the center being a problem. There were injuries, but they didn't have to dig too far into their depth. They didn't, you know, I mean, we sawt Chukes was really the only guy besides the five that ended that played significant snaps, so they were a little fortunate that way. He minus.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think I would agree with that. Yeah, I mean, I think there's I don't again I mean, recency bias plays into that a little bit as well, But I thought overall, I mean they protected the quarterback pretty well, pretty well.
Speaker 1: Ye you know, I know people look at the sack too well.
Speaker 2: Some of that was picket and picket and Trubisky drifting into sacks.
Speaker 1: I was gonna say, I mean, like if Peyton Manning was a quarterback, I don't think we'd be talking about, boy, all the pressures, all the sacks, you know what I mean, like some of them is dropping her eyes, being young, et cetera, et cetera. I mean quarterback lay has something to do with that too, Yeah, yeah, for sure, recognizing blitz is you know.
Speaker 2: How about the uh, let's switch switch over to the defensive side of the ball, the defensive line good.
Speaker 1: I mean it's a little bit blasphemous, and I know he had injuries, but I expected a bigger season out of Hayward because he was unbelievable the last couple of years and this year he wasn't unbelievable, but the Watses and Adams and certainly Benton were all pleasant surprises. Depth I think was strong. You know, if I'm not sure if louder Milker Leo will ever be anything in this league. But if they can't even really get on the field, I think that speaks to where you're at there. Ogan Joby was fine. I'm gonna get that group of b Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean people have been hard on Ogan Joby this year. Yeah, And I don't know if I he finished with forty three tackles, three sacks, not eye popping numbers, but he gave you when Hayward was out way more. I mean he was playing a lot more snaps.
Speaker 1: Yeah, right.
Speaker 2: They expected when to see you know, they wanted him to be a sixty percent snap guy, fifty five sixty percent snap guy, and he ends up playing eighty. And there's times when Hayward was I.
Speaker 1: Was gonna say too, it was a little less would be more from him. Yeah, you know, like he seems to be more effective in the first quarter of games if you can get him some breathers. We know he's had issues of practicing on Wednesdays and things like that. I'm sure he has pain and issues, but you know you're gonna have a question with him. Is he worth bringing back at his current cost or you know, those are different conversations, but anything, he was a bad player. No, I thought he was.
Speaker 2: I thought he had, you know, made some impact plays as well.
Speaker 1: So yeah, I went to you.
Speaker 2: I thought that group overall was was pretty good. It was maybe the most consistent thing on the defense.
Speaker 1: All year long. Yeah, I think it waste of Yeah, so we got to give them an A. I would say B plus on the edge guys.
Speaker 2: No, I'm talking about the defensive line as a whole. I'd say B plus, just be from from the fact that are you.
Speaker 1: Just talking to big fellows? Are you talking to the edge guys, I'm talking to big fellaws. Okay, Yeah, I'm gonna plus.
Speaker 2: Because I just thought that again, I thought they were kind of the glue that held things together time, especially late in the season when when you know they needed to stop the run.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there were times that was quite good to do.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they did very well against that, and there were some times early in the year when it wasn't so good, which is why I can't give him an A.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm not sure. I don't know what the numbers are, but.
Speaker 2: When they had Hayward on the field versus not having Hayward on the field, there's definitely the run numbers were much different.
Speaker 1: They were. I was just say the sack numbers just from that position group, though, I would like more. He'd like six more, you know.
Speaker 2: He'd like more.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the edge guys, that's an A, that's an yeah, I mean maybe A plus. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean you got more than I mean out of that ego. You know, twenty six thirty thirty three sacks out of your edge guys.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and the best one of the best players on the planet. Yeah, it's one of them, right, So I mean if you took TJ out of the equation, I'd probably still give it a C plus or a B mind. Yeah, you know, I mean high Smith was good this year. Smith was really good this year. And those other guys aren't bad players, and no big guest promise.
Speaker 2: Really hard lineback the inside linebackers is where So when Mike Tomlin was asked about the inside linebackers, uh, he said he was when when before pre injury linebackers, he said, we were making impact plays, uh, splash plays that we of course hadn't seen, you know, in previous years. Yeah, he said, but the attrition was a part of it. You know, when you start losing guys to injury, that that becomes a part of it. Now, some of that you could look at, say the injury to co Hulkem and say that's a broken leg like that. That's not something that that's it's kind of freakish. Oh yeah, it was a freak injury, of course. But you know for a guy like Kawan Alexander, you know he has a history and yeah, there's a history there, so.
Speaker 1: Maybe you do want to do better than that. Maybe. So it's funny you said that because I didn't know that. That's what coach Salmon said. If I were to give a grade when healthy and that's what we're doing here, I would say it's a B minus that that trio in Week eight or whatever it was when they were humming. I can live with that. That's good. Yeah.
Speaker 2: If two years ago was a D, probably if.
Speaker 1: Not last year was a D. Yeah yeah, and so but for the season, I still got to I mean, we were talking about eighteen football games, including the playoffs. I'm gonna go see minus like Michael Walker's not gonna get done. Yeah, I mean those type of dudes. No, I'm with you. I mean, but you know you have what you had at that point. Oh yeah, I mean that's just the way it went. But if we're gonna analyze every snap of inside linebacker play for the year and round it all into one grade, and I'm gonna go see minus.
Speaker 2: Now that being said, I thought a Landon Roberts was a relation.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think he's an important piece. Yeah.
Speaker 2: You look at what he did. So he had one hundred He led the team of one hundred and one tackles. He had two and a half sacks, ten tackles for a loss, six quarterback hits, two pass defensive. I mean he gave you something across the board.
Speaker 1: I think he brings an attitude to toughness that is very much desired. And you might know. I'm sure you know it's better than I do. But I can promise you three or four of those final games he was out there. He probably no business being out Yeah, he was playing on one arm, he was playing on one leg. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just I have a tremendous amount of respect for that guy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's somebody you want in the building. Yeah.
Speaker 2: And I think that attitude that he has also brings.
Speaker 1: Oh I think goes a long way. Yeah. Yeah, he plays plays a game the right way.
Speaker 2: Yeah, for sure, let's break up the corners in safety separately. Yeah, so cornerbacks. I'm gonna be hard on the secondary, really hard. I mean, I think there's two really good members of the secondary, one of them's Porter when we're talking corners, but I don't think Peterson or Wallace was good enough. I don't think the slot situation was good enough. So if you're analyzing, I'm gonna go C minus.
Speaker 1: I mean, the Porter stuff's really good, but those other guys are just not part of the equation for me.
Speaker 2: Now, Yeah, I mean I would be interested in bringing Patrick Peterson back as a depth piece at this point.
Speaker 1: In a restructure probably though, Yeah, yeah, I mean I think he's making a decent bock. I don't think. I don't think it's not awful but ridiculous, right.
Speaker 2: Levi Wallace, you got to be able to do better than that. You get to be able to do better than Chandon Sullivan, Right.
Speaker 1: You just don't have enough athleticism in the back end right now, and Peterson's part of that problem unfortunately at this stage. But I think he has some traits in leadership you love. But there's only two guys.
Speaker 2: So I wouldn't hate it if Peterson next year is back in the KZ role, maybe as your as your third safety is the guy who plays the post when Minka comes down and plays.
Speaker 1: More so than in an olexide corner. Yeah. I'd be more open to that idea, for sure. And I don't want him out there as my strong safety, no, no, but he's open to it, And I mean I think that's a transition he could make. Didn't see enough to say it was a success or not. And he'd get better at it, of course.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: No, But I mean Porter's an A, but the rest of the group's D. So I'm gonna give it as Yeah, I hear you, I hear you.
Speaker 2: Uh, the safety position.
Speaker 1: Similar but a little better. I don't know the KZ is really an answer. I think he's a third or fourth row. Was a nice find. But if we're talking about eighteen games, he only appeared in what four of them for the playoffs.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but in those four games he had, he was good, like thirty nine tackles. Yeah, I mean he was your leading tackler and basically every one of those games. And he had a couple of pass defenses, he had a forced fumble, three tackles for a loss, like he.
Speaker 1: Was really good. He was impacts. I definitely want him in the mix next year. Yeah, if he's up for it, I feel they make it. Is the best safety in the league. But if we the analyze his misstime hurts the grade, right, I mean, no, he played in ten games, played in ten games, right, didn't care about the takeaways.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he didn't have the takeaways three pass defenses, but it's sixty four tackles in those ten games.
Speaker 1: He did a lot of important stuff too.
Speaker 2: You know, people are killing him for the for the playoff games, and I thought he had a terrible I'm like, what game are you watching?
Speaker 1: And I never see like he heard that he had.
Speaker 2: Two tackles for a loss on James Cook when when Cook caught the football. I thought he was going to have a big game, and all of a sudden, Inca comes flying in out of nowhere and gets them on the ground both times.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna give that position a CEE for the year in eighteen grade grade, I mean eight of them are without your best guy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, I mean that's that's just the reality of it. How about specialists, Well, that's what I was going to the specialist here.
Speaker 1: Could we break them up. I think we should. It makes a grade a lot.
Speaker 2: I mean, the the kicking game in terms of putting points on the board. I thought Boswell had one of his best seasons.
Speaker 1: A yeah. I mean there's a many kickers I trade him for. He's phenomenal. I mean he was making long kicks.
Speaker 2: He you know, they trotted them out there for you know, fifty nine yarders he missed.
Speaker 1: Me he missed one extra point and two kicks one extra.
Speaker 2: Point, yeah, and one kick that was sixty yards in the rain.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah. I think he missed two kicks on the year. R. Yeah. I mean so no kicker is an A. Yes, punters a D.
Speaker 2: The overall special teams coverage units I thought were pretty good.
Speaker 1: What if we just call special teams the whole thing, I would say, I mean, including the kick blocks and the returners. Yeah, Boz, I would say, that's a bee. And the punning game is not good enough.
Speaker 2: The punning game is not good enough. No, they have to that has to be upgrade.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that has to. But that's the only thing I look at and think think of special teams as a whole. I can't live with. Yeah, you know, going in the next.
Speaker 2: And I don't even know at this point. I've seen enough of Presley Harvin that I don't even know if I want him to come and compete for a g Yeah.
Speaker 1: I don't think I need that anymore next.
Speaker 2: Year because and here's why we've seen this. We've we've sat there and watched him kick the ball in training camp, and he kicks the snot out of it when the weather's great.
Speaker 1: Brother's great, No one's rushing him. Yeah, it's like, yeah, let's try that guy special. Yeah, I'd rather not be teased by him. Yeah, let him go to New York or LA or whatever.
Speaker 2: Let him go to New Orleans where he can kick indoors. He might be an all pro, he might lead the league and punting then, right, but he struggles in weather conditions. There's just no ifans or butts of Oh.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, but watching him live, folks, when you're when the weather's nice and toasty and it's sunny, he can be It's.
Speaker 2: Like watching Tiger Woods at a golf ball.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: Oh that sounds different than everybody else.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, I mean you can get sucked in easily. I with you. I hadn't thought of that angle. But I don't want to bring the camp because I don't want to fall for the tricks anymore. You know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if you do bring him in, he's the one that you trade. Not that anybody's probably going to do that, but uh yeah, I need I need an upgrade there. But you know, the return game, first of all, nobody returns kicks anymore.
Speaker 1: But punt was okay, they did, I mean, well, it was above average is a return game overall?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Calvin Austin ended up averaging eight point six yards per punt return. He didn't break the big one, but he had a thirty four yarder that was very big. That was in the game against was it Cincinnati the second time around?
Speaker 1: I think so it was at home. Yeah. Yeah, and he's dangerous and he's reliable catching the football too. Yeah, he didn't put it on the ground, and yeah, fine with that. Yeah, that was fine.
Speaker 2: In terms of the kick return, they ever judge twenty three and a half yards per return?
Speaker 1: You know you didn't.
Speaker 2: There weren't that many, you know, when you turn twenty four, I put.
Speaker 1: A lot I've put a lot less weight on that than I do any of the other things we talked about. And I think abillity to block punts and kicks. It's huge.
Speaker 2: There's a game changing Yeah, those are game.
Speaker 1: Changing place the Steelers somewhat in that Bills game. Without that, it's not even close to it. Yeah, being the same result. Yeah, and it's happened several times this year.
Speaker 2: And it's not that it's not an accident.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And the Muykens and Killer Brews and those guys are quite good at what they do. Yeah.
Speaker 2: No, I agree. I think they they're very good. But you need to upgrade the punter position. There's just no ifans or busts about it.
Speaker 1: I mean, I know your answer. But if I said, take the exact same special team performance from twenty twenty three with a new punter and paste it into twenty twenty four, you definitely.
Speaker 2: I'm on board.
Speaker 1: You definitely take it. I'm on board.
Speaker 2: Yeah, get me somebody who who is I don't even care if he if he averages fifty.
Speaker 1: Yards whatever, he doesn't give me forty.
Speaker 2: Five yards every single time.
Speaker 1: Kept the liability to go along with yeah, right and be the twentieth best punter in the league or whatever. Yeah. There were a few more penalties on special teams than you'd like, But I don't think the numbers were seen. I think that's a league It is a league thing.
Speaker 2: I think that's to me, that's something because you see them on on some things and you're like, as the league told officials that they just don't want teams returning the ball, so you just start calling penalties on them just I think so, Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think there are some rules are have gone that way. Yeah, and so I've had a lot of buddies. A lot of people are like, man, special teams are so disorganized and like that's how they all are. I mean they really are. I mean, yeah, they had some penalties, but everyone does, and their special teams penalties aren't higher than anybody else.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're talking about the you know, fortieth through fifty third guys on your roster. Those are the guys that are out there on special teams. Yeah, and Tjan ain't out.
Speaker 1: There and they get shuffled like crazy. Yeah, I mean sometimes especially with this team this year. Yeah, the linebackers and safeties and all those dudes.
Speaker 2: Right, I don't know, Danny's smith probably needed a que card to get tell him who was in his room at times.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean some of those weird numbers are all wearing to linebackers like who are you again? So I'll give special teams to be the top to bottom led by balls of course.
Speaker 2: In the kickblocks, yeah, I mean those are two the two big areas, two big areas.
Speaker 1: I mean, no team had a combination of those things better.
Speaker 2: Yeah, imagine you know, you know, I know Baltimore always finishes high on that stuff. But they didn't block kicks like the Steelers did.
Speaker 1: I have no idea who else did, But I can't imagine anyone has as good a commodation of kicker and blocked kicks and puns, Yeah, which are game changers.
Speaker 2: They are game changers.
Speaker 1: Get a better punter.
Speaker 2: So that brings us to coaching.
Speaker 1: B minus. I mean, you made an offensive coordinator change mid season. But I think there's something to be said for not having the wheels come off late in the year and getting the team into the playoffs. I know wants to hear that he was another winning season. Big deal. It's a big deal.
Speaker 2: It's a big seventeen in a row. Again, it's not an accident.
Speaker 1: They were ten and seven yan. Yeah, defense, I don't think anyone's going to complain about defensive coordination or boy, they got out coached drastically on the defensive side of the ball. I mean, I wouldn't say it was an eight plus on that side of the ball, rightither, But yeah, it's a tough one, of course. I mean, because they get dealt different things. I go C plus B minus I think is fair. I mean, the fact you made a coordinator change is hurts a great a lot obviously, Yeah, right, but I think their head coach is really good at what he does.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, I think you do have to You don't have to separate those things because coaching is coaching.
Speaker 1: It's really broad term though.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but you' won ten games this year.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean it's a little different than analyzing the tight ends. Yeah. First of all, I can see the tight ends every that and rewind it and look it over. I can't.
Speaker 2: I mean, look what happened on Vegas. Told us at the beginning of the season, this was an eight and a half win team. You won more than that.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: The the the fact that you were able to win games early in the season when you were consistently being outpossessed and not doing anything on offense, and you still found ways to win those games that means something.
Speaker 1: That means something, and winning winning one score games has become I know some people think that that, oh it's coming back to the mean, and all the analytic folks will tell you that, but Tomlin's the best in the league at it.
Speaker 2: Like it's not by accident. I mean, you know how to do this, and you you know.
Speaker 1: You put yourself position.
Speaker 2: You not only know how to do it, but you know how to get your team to put itself in position to get.
Speaker 1: In position to be in it in the end. Yeah, even if you're getting out played. Yeah, and there's there that's that's coaching. That's coaching. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So anyways, that's our grades for this for the season for the team. I didn't write them down to roll through.
Speaker 1: I'm pretty sure, yeah, but you know, yeah, I mean we didn't.
Speaker 2: There weren't many what one one A edge edge guys, edge guys, that was.
Speaker 1: It, and an A plus running backs, there were B plus, there were be There were some b's in there and some c's. If we.
Speaker 2: If we had just done punting, yeah.
Speaker 1: But man, we don't give out a's like I mean, there's a pretty steep curve. I mean there's thirty two other teams that you're competing against.
Speaker 2: Right, anyways, we're gonna get to another break. He is the Matt Williamson. I'm Dale Lollie. You're listening to the drive here on Steelers Nation Radio. We'll be back to finish up the show right after this. Welcome back. I'm Dale Lollie. He is the Matt Williamson. And Steeler fans you can, of course, I get find the reader, right, we don't have to read ready, that's dumb one. We were talking about stuff off the air.
Speaker 1: Dumb and dummer. Yeah, ye, all the good stuffscribing us so.
Speaker 2: You could gear up with the latest sideline apparel, hats or jersey. These are your favorite players. Authentic memorabilia, custom items and exclusives you can only find directly from the team and one of the official Steelers Pro shops are located to Dechrishuer Stadium, Grove City, Premium mount Lets, or Tanger Outlets or visit online at shop dot Steelers dot com. And uh, we're just kicking around a lot of different stuff.
Speaker 1: There a lot of nonsense that had.
Speaker 2: Non football type stuff here. We don't typically do a lot of that on this show. So we'll move on.
Speaker 1: But so.
Speaker 2: A veteran play caller for Mike Tomlin.
Speaker 1: Yeah, how do you start thinking some names? Yeah?
Speaker 2: One that jumps out to me and he interviewed the last time the Steelers had an opening was Pep Hamilton. He's been out of a job, so he's available out there.
Speaker 1: I mean, I think you'll hear left which the enemy. I can see one of those blow my skirt up, to be honest with you, but I think you'll hear those names. I've heard people ask me about Frank Reich. I should know the name of top my head. But the offensive coordinator in Seattle this past year. I don't think they've announced if he's coming back. What is Waldron? I think it's okay, Yeah, yeah, I mean I don't know if he'll be They even you know, cleaned house yet. I'm sure there's five other names that people were thinking about, you know. But I know Smith from Miami has been brought up because he's not the play caller. He's the offensive coordinator. But if he hasn't called the plays, and he doesn't fit the mold either. And we've talked about too. I don't love throwing a Miami style offense here.
Speaker 2: No, I don't want to finesse offense here.
Speaker 1: Seattle would interest me, Yeah, yeah, Waldron, Yeah yeah, he's got a good reputation. If anyone wants to throw names out, I'm not avoiding you, folks. But my least favorite topics of my job are discussing injuries and assistant coaches, because I've seen what assistant coaches and I know, I don't know what they do from sitting in this chair behind him microphone, you know, in front of a microphone, as opposed to who's really good in the building. It's just a hard thing to analyze unless you're there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know if I mean Tomlin is a relationship with Jim Caldwell.
Speaker 1: I don't know if if you get down that ride.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but yeah, I mean an adult in the room.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, that's gonna be a young offense.
Speaker 2: Still, yeah, it's a very young offense. That's why I don't necessarily I understand why Mike wants to go with somebody who has called plays before. I know people talk about Clint Kobiak and yeah, some of these young hot guys, but that that you don't know what you're getting.
Speaker 1: The other issue and This is part of the issues that other teams are dealing with. If you hire a defensive coach, is okay, well, who's your offensive coordinator going to be? If you're not the one calling plays, head guy, if you're not Andy Reid, are you going to be like Houston? Get this whiz kid offensive coordinator for one year and then he's coaching and he's gone Anthers, you know what I mean? So like a Caldwell or somebody that's a little older, probably isn't going to get scooped up right away. Way you might get three four years out of them as long as they want to be here as opposed and.
Speaker 2: You can train somebody underneath them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then you can you know, right, right right? I mean, I think that's the best way to do it with a non play calling head coach. And you know they they know the league.
Speaker 2: You know what you're getting.
Speaker 1: More importantly, I think, yeah, you know.
Speaker 2: What you're buying because you've seen there are tangible results there. You're not guessing about what it's going to be.
Speaker 1: No, right, right, right, No, I think there's a lot of value to that. So I'm open to names. I'm sure now that he has press conference there'll be one hundred names area. Yeah, we'll be getting tweets left and right, and I'm fine with it. But I'll tell you right now, it's a hard thing for me to comment on. It really is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it is for me as well, because you know, I mean, we can we can guess who these guys are going to be, but that doesn't mean we're going to be right.
Speaker 1: No, you we'll investigate their trees. Like, boy, you spend a lot of time with Shanahan and this dude and this dude, but that doesn't mean that's what they wanted to do here, right, That's yeah, that's the thing. I mean, there's been a lot of different avenues and what he's doing in Baltimore is a lot differently did at Georgia.
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah, Yeah, to your point, I don't know if I don't want I don't want one of these Miami guys who are basically the off the Shanahan tree, Like, I don't know that that will that work in Pittsburgh in November.
Speaker 1: I mean, I don't mind anyone coming from the Shannan tree, but I don't like the way Miami has their offense structure, correct, ye, you know, right, And I don't know that they'd even be interested in Pickens and Deonta and Friarmouth. I mean, yeah, you have to go find the fastest guy in the draft.
Speaker 2: And you know your offense is built a certain way right now? You got power running backs, yeah, in a power offensive line.
Speaker 1: And I can promise you whoever they hire is not going to be hired to not run the ball.
Speaker 2: Yeah right, you know they're going to come in here and run the run and shoot, you're not hiring Mouse Davis.
Speaker 1: No, Like, I don't think that whoever interviews with coach is gonna be like, well, I don't really think the varning bames all that important. I don't really care about it, you know, like, well, okay, the interview, that's true, Thanks for talking. Yeah, good chat.
Speaker 2: Enjoy your line you have full I think I'll meet you at the door.
Speaker 1: I think we're about putting picket in the shotgun and going for wide exclusively, throw it every down. What do you think, coach? I don't think that's gonna fly.
Speaker 2: Mike did say that, you know it's not going to just be him making none of these hires. People need to understand, well, Mike Tomlin makes a hire it's not just him, right. People people act like, oh, it's just Mike Tomlin high when he hired Brian Flores two years ago. Yeah, he didn't just say, hey, Brian, you're hired, right, He had to call He calls upstairs and said, Art, I'm thinking about bringing Brian Flores in. Does that work?
Speaker 1: Yeah? And you don't think mister Rooney and others are going to be involved in the interview process. Of course they are. This is a major high right exactly. It's not gonna be Tom's just gonna get his buddy hire him. It's anne deal. And that's not the way it's going. That's not the way it works.
Speaker 2: But you know, if you listen to some other radio shows or read some other stuff around here, that that's the way people.
Speaker 1: Seem to think it goes. And that's not easy. The only one doing the hiring or is any say in anything. Yeah, it's not how it works.
Speaker 2: Anyways, that's going to do it for our show today, Matt and I will be back again tomorrow.
Speaker 1: We'll make our DFS picks.
Speaker 2: And we'll maybe break down some more what Tomlin had to say today, and Nate delvi into a little bit more of the ancillary stuff that he talked about, figure to say about some individual players as well.
Speaker 1: We got playoff games this weekend, and we got really good games this.
Speaker 2: Weekend that we can talk about. We'll do all that tomorrow, but for today, that's going to do it. So for my partner Matt Williamson, for Justin Miller here on site keeping us on the air, I'm Dale, Allie. We thank you for listening to this edition of the Drive on Steelers Nation Radio.