Speaker 1: This crowd rises to its being what Carl slam it?
Speaker 2: Oh Carlo left wing free ball perfect, Darl p then helift block the shot at the rim pow with the left hand head of fowl.
Speaker 3: Welcome to the Chasetown Podcast, part of the Caves Media Family. I'm your host, Justin Rohan. The Chase Down is presented by Fubo, the official streaming partner of the Calves. Watch over three hundred and fifty channels of live sports and TV, including fan Duel Sports Network without cable. There's no cost and no commitment. Try for free at FuboTV dot com Slash Calves. Well, when a regular season is this fun, you just do not want it to end, And apparently that was a sentiment that was shared by the members of the Cleveland Cavaliers this year. Afternoon, I should say, uh, going to double overtime against the Indiana Pacers.
Speaker 1: There is a close one.
Speaker 3: Ultimately, I think they got a little tired and weren't able to pull it out. Joining me today to discuss that the win at Madison Square Garden and look ahead to the playoffs as my co host Carter Rodriguez.
Speaker 1: Carter, how you doing, Buddy, I'm doing well.
Speaker 2: I spent the last couple of days in Athens, Ohio, uh singing my little heart out with the Singing min of Ohio. UH so shout out for a little alumni trip with some of my dear friends. I am not in game shape for Athens, Ohio, so you know, you might need to carry the the energy a little bit on this one.
Speaker 3: There's still the vocal cords are still sounding all right, buddy brother.
Speaker 2: It was it was I can go octave deeper than normal, uh after after a weekend of debauchery. But I had had a great time, saw a bunch of good friends, and the Cavs uh took home one really really fun win. And then you know, they closed the year on a loss, but it was kind of a fun loss, and it's a you know, in his own way, there was plenty of fun stuff to happen. So no complaints here, and really really excited for the playoffs. Yeah, it's something that I'm grateful for. You know, looking back at eighty two games now in the books, I don't think there were a lot of times that we've come here on this podcast and there just wasn't anything to talk about that It wasn't fun, It wasn't entertaining in any way, shape or form. You know, we talked after that last.
Speaker 3: Indiana game where they were resting a bunch of guys and they had a chance to win that one. This one, you know, they were up against the Indiana I don't want to say starters Siakam and Halburn were out, but you know, they were competitive throughout the night. They had a big lead that they ultimately weren't able to hang on to. But they were competitive and entertaining throughout this entire season. And that's something that I really really do appreciate. And these Game eighty twos are always kind of fun. You know, the Cats historically have handled this game by you know, resting their starters. We got the Jordan McCrae game back in the day.
Speaker 1: We've had a lot of kind.
Speaker 3: Of fun performances on Game eighty two. But you know, to see Jalen Tyson go for a career high in points, to see Nakwon Tomlin go for a career high points, Amani Baits having a really fun game.
Speaker 2: That had to be his career high. There's no way he scored twenty five before.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm just going to assume that that's a career high for him as well. And you know, Craig Porter Junior having a great night like that to me is entertaining.
Speaker 1: I thought that they played competitive basketball.
Speaker 3: I thought it was a lot of fun, and you know, the fans that were in attendance got more than they bargained for with doublet.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was hilarious.
Speaker 2: I know, it's just like you could really you know, there was this moment in the game where they were like two minutes left and Rick Carlisle took a time out of four and I heard John Michael soul leave his body.
Speaker 1: What are you doing? Rick?
Speaker 2: But you know, it was a fun game, and yeah, it was really nice to see like how much depth these guys have. You know, you know, we've said it a lot. We said it last year with Amani's rookie year. If this were you know, six years ago, he's probably uh, he's probably playing twenty eight minutes a night, just getting figuring out in real time. But a lot of this stuff just happens out of out of most fans sightlines. Right now with a team that good that you know, you just don't get to see Jalen Tyson play that much.
Speaker 1: You don't get to see Na.
Speaker 2: Kwon, Tomlin play, you know, RMANI even guy like Craig really, you know, I mean, forty three minutes is hilarious for I mean nay Kuon played forty seven minutes. I mean he probably quadrupled his NBA experience to that point with that, So.
Speaker 3: Forty six for Tyson, like, you know, it's so funny in a season where Donovan Mitchell, Darius Garland, Evan Wigley all played career lows in minutes per game, and I don't think we had any that they crossed the forty minute threshold. But for a bunch of guys that don't typically play, you know, and that don't have a lot of game experience at least at the NBA level this season, for them to all basically go up to nearly forty eight minutes, yeah, you're going to be a little bit tired, and you're probably going to, you know, blow a leade. I think he was showing up in the overtimes and fourth quarter.
Speaker 2: I think I think most members of the Cavs organization probably got to kick their feet up, got to, you know, enjoy the satisfaction of a season well played.
Speaker 1: And you didn't get to relax. Probably the training and massage staff, the walking wounded came in. Oh yeah, there were some sore individuals there.
Speaker 3: But hey, you know Jale and Tyson Craig Porter Junior, they had that game earlier this season where they played a game for the Charge and then played real minutes for the Calves on the same day.
Speaker 1: You know, we talk about back to back.
Speaker 3: These guys are hoopers, and you know, I want to get into the young guys a little more in depth.
Speaker 1: But before we like fully.
Speaker 3: Dive into that, I do want to point out there's probably a decent chance that this is Tristan Thompson's last regular season game. Oh wow, I hadn't considered it dawned on me after the game. It wasn't really something that I thought about and for him to, you know, if it is in fact his last game, either in the NBA or as a member of the Cavs because he's not on their contract next season, it's kind of fun that he went out with twenty rebounds. You want to talk about someone that's sore, he played forty two minutes, but you know, just patting those stats. Moving up a little further in the kaz Record books in the total rebounds column.
Speaker 1: It was fun to see Tristan out there. Yeah, I wish.
Speaker 3: He would have wish he would have knocked down a couple more of those free throws, particularly that one in the fourth quarter was why they went overtime, as he was at the line that was already like just looking at my phone, not really you know, kind of checking out of that ending game scenario. And then ultimately Indiana forced overtime. But you know, it was nice to see Tristan out there. The goaltend that was called a block that was a little bit fortunate, but he had some moments, and you know, I'm always going to have a soft spot for Tristan.
Speaker 2: As as you should. Buddy, do you want to talk about that the young guys or do we want to talk DG against the next first?
Speaker 3: But let's go young guys first. Let's talk about, you know, the game that just occurred, because I was really really encouraged by this. One of the things that we talked about when we were evaluating the two way spots at the start of the year was this seems like the type of guys you want to take a swing on these Are you know in the archetype that would be of interest to the Caps, right, Like they have a lot of depth at the guard positions. I would say more than we even thought coming into the year, given how well Tied Jrome played, and you know the progression that we've seen Craig Porter Junior make. Obviously you have a major investment in Evan Mobley and Jared Allen, DeAndre Hunter is playing minutes at the Ford and Wade has had a very successful season. So getting athletic wings I think has been what's been.
Speaker 1: On the forefront of our mind.
Speaker 3: Then you know, looking at Jalen Tyson, Nikwon, Tomlin Amani bits not that what they did tonight is what you'd expect from them on a nightly basis. We understand the game eighty two is weird, but to me it was almost just like a little bit of a confirmation that, yeah, these are guys work taking a swing on. I understand what the Cavs were doing with this, and I think in each of their in each instance of these guys, I feel like they have made progress from when I first saw them to start this year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I think, I mean, most certainly we did see that the kids show up. We said at the beginning of the year when they were kind of filling the two way is if you feel like the three of them have a combined chance of one of them making it to be a rosterable player, if you were to say that combined percentages forty, you're making good use of your two ways. And you know, I still feel that way, you know, even after and that was when they had J. T. Thor, who obviously they moved on from in order to give Tomlin this opportunity. And Tomlin really showed out. I mean he was He is a really interesting player. I won't lie. Uh. There aren't a lot of two way uh six' ten like pretty like you, know big man, sized big men that you're running pick and, rolls inverted pick and rolls for that are on two way. Deals the ball skills are pretty, impressive honestly for a guy of that. Size the jumper obviously wasn't hitting super well, today but like, OVERALL i just, THOUGHT i just, thought like there was clearly a fluidity advantage for him against the guys he was playing. Against and a lot of the stuff that you saw that like maybe wasn't so. GREAT a lot of the time was the what were the moments where you, know the game got a little fast for? Him and but that's kind of great. News you, know of any player Around tomlin's age that has an excuse to like be a little behind on that part of the. Game it's a guy who didn't play high school. BASKETBALL i, mean what a miracle is a guy who didn't play high school basketball just played forty seven minutes in AN nba. Game so super cool for. HIM i, do, like you, KNOW i think if you were to ask me going into you, know you, know this, second this last third of the, season WHO i thought the two way with the best chance of landing on the main roster, WAS i probably would have Said, traverse Then tomlin And bates and kind of a morass from. There, YEAH i gotta, SAY i Think tomlin might be the Best ganda that we have because we are so now well stocked on the wings after The DeAndre hunter, Trade we're very well stocked at. Guard and, like if you're looking up and down the, roster like back up.
Speaker 1: Five, yeah four or, five, Right like there's just a little more.
Speaker 2: Rooms so, YEAH i don't, know maybe Maybe i'm jumping the gun a little bit on, That but that's kind of where my brain went.
Speaker 3: To, YEAH i, mean you definitely don't want to get over your skis with. This, Right, like he's played five games now in THE. Nba if you look at the per thirty six, numbers he's averaging twenty points and twelve, rebounds so like the.
Speaker 1: Activity is really.
Speaker 3: There but he is shooting forty percent from the field and twenty percent from three in those, games, Right so like he's.
Speaker 1: Raw he needs some.
Speaker 3: TIME i, think you, know the athleticism jumps off the screen blocking that jump.
Speaker 1: Shot it was.
Speaker 3: Phenomenal, honestly there was a lot of great blocks in this. Game Craig Porter junior had that one on the. Breakaway Jalen tyson had an amazing. One Jalen tyson turning the corner On Nie smith and then dunking On Jarris walker Was i'm SORRY i DIDN'T i was not familiar with your.
Speaker 1: GAME i did not know that you could do.
Speaker 3: That but he really showed a lot of craft and it was encouraging for me to see, him you, know show that craft early in the game and continue it Right like it wasn't just when some of the and the bench guys were in. There he was good throughout the. Night BUT i agree with, YOU i Think tomlin has a real. Chance anytime you have someone with that kind of physical tools and that kind of, lengths it's really.
Speaker 1: Interesting and he was of the.
Speaker 3: Group he was the most productive for The charge this. Season he led them in. Scoring he had a really really dominant. Season and you, know looking forward to next, year would it be that out rageous to, Say, hey this guy could maybe fill That Javonte green, role like as a bigger activity guy that it's a little raw, offensively but we we like what he can. Bring if you're signing him to you, know that kind of Original Dan wade Sam merril contract where it's a three four year deal with all team, options and you know it's for basically the, minimum or should say The Craig porter junior, deal because he's on one of those as. Well, LIKE i would not be opposed to, that particularly when you're talking about a team that already has its top eight pretty much locked up for next.
Speaker 2: Season, YEAH i, Mean i'm not SURE i would actually go To Javonte. GREEN i THINK i would go To Chumo, kiki who you, know is another rung lower on the priority list for the, team you, know like the. TEAM i think there's, like if you were to, say what percent chance do you think it is That kenny's turns To jamonte in a playoff, SERIES i would say like fifteen, Twenty like for a, moment you, know for a five minute stretch or whatever it may. BE i don't think he's turned To okiki unless the team's in real foul, trouble you, know, injury.
Speaker 1: Whatever AND i think that's.
Speaker 2: Kind OF i and and that's WHY i wouldn't Classify tomlin in the same way that you Classify, javonte BECAUSE i Think javonte can come into a playoff series And i'd be, like all, right let's see what.
Speaker 1: Happens let's see what he can, do.
Speaker 2: Whereas tom And i'd be, like not ready, yet, brother don't do, That like, Yeah and there is a meaningful difference.
Speaker 1: THERE i think that's a fair.
Speaker 3: Point the one Thing i'll bring up one we were negligent BECAUSE i don't think we mentioned the Sign we.
Speaker 1: Didn't it just kind of slid under bad, timing.
Speaker 3: Just had had too much head to. Discuss SO i like the. SIGNING i think that he is someone that is a polished. DEFENDER i like what he can do on that. End he's shown a little bit.
Speaker 1: Of range to.
Speaker 3: Me i'd be interested in bringing him into camp next. Year, Sure i'd rather take the. Flyers, like, honestly you have so much proven. TALENT i understand what you're saying With Javonte, green But i'd rather take the flyers when on the, perimeter you do Have, maxters you do Have DeAndre, hunter you do Have Isaac, okorro you do Have Dean. Wade, LIKE i get What Javonte green can, bring AND i think for this, season you're absolutely. Right BUT i think going into next you're understanding that in all, likelihood this is going to be a Second apron. Team get those young guys under, Contract, like get those flyers in, place because if, you you, know if you're hitting on these guys on the, margin WHICH i think is the most important thing when you talk about the play Of, Tyson, Tomlin bates And travers and Even Craig Porter. Jr if you're hitting on those guys and you already have your top eight locked, up you're able to basically keep the team together as long as you are able to financially stomach you're not in a position where you, know the necessity to make roster changes is putting you in a tough position more so than you, know we're just okay with paying this luxury. Bill so i'd either go a little bit. Younger BUT i completely understand what you're, saying and you're certainly correct when it comes to this.
Speaker 2: Year, Yeah so it's just gonna be an interesting balance to strike up and down the, roster you. Know, like and we should talk About Jalen, tyson who had a very very good, game AND i thought even though his minutes were a little more up and down against The, knicks you, know he had a you, know a brain fart pick, six he gave up on a. Pass you, know the field goal percentage wasn't where he wanted to, be but you, know overall was positive in those minutes in a very pure role player. Capacity then obviously it has to carry out a huge load in this. Game takes twenty five, shots scores thirty one, points seven rebounds FOR us is three, steals five. Turnovers you, Know but LIKE i was thinking about him a little bit about how you, know in some, ways like you do feel a little bit better if you need to count On Jalen tyson at any point next, season then maybe you did any of this, year but there is occupational hazard in making that like PLAN a or even plan like you, know one TO. A you, know think about how many of The denver guys, like, well.
Speaker 1: Oh they look.
Speaker 2: Ready those guys are, good you, know and then it's like the hold, on hold, on let me get through the, point which is to say, that like you know that it was nice when you Know Julian strawther Or Peyton watson was a. Luxury it got a lot harder when they were in. Necessity SO i would say that's something they need to think about as they're going. Through not that they should not plan on Developing tyson giving him more, responsibility but like it's not always, linear it's not always he showed, this so when we give him, more he'll be. Ready like you, know when you're a top end contending, team you, know it gets really messy to balance all these different. Priorities that's ALL i was trying to, say not that that would happen or that it's a one to one, situation but like figuring out how to plot the long term term course of the development of these young guys is.
Speaker 1: Hard, Yeah, NO i totally.
Speaker 3: Agree and you, know even if his growth continues it and it is incredibly, linear they're going to be in a bit of a Buying like the reason WHY i was jumping on The denver point, is you, know if we Retain, Ti jerome And Sam, merril you're going into next year with the core Four Deander, Hunter Max, Strus, Isaaclecorro Ti, Jerome Dean, Wade Sam, Merril Jalen tyson's your. Eleventh, yeah like what you know it is right? Now MAYBE i guess is, Yeah i'd Say javonte is right. Now So Jalen, tyson you, know he's twelve right, now and would you, know maybe move up one spot in terms of how you would enter next. Season SO i don't think you know that that's not something that you're relying. On and if you have a top ten that's spoken for eleven through, fifteen let's take some, flyers like let's you, know bring in you, know if you want to sign a veteran big man for the minimum just so they have a little bit of depth. There if you want to sign Nik Won tomlin to kind of a speculative, Deal Like i'm all for, that because that's you, know you're giving yourself a bit of a floor with signing a big, man and then you're giving yourself some upside by signing A.
Speaker 1: Tomlin but none of those guys are really going to be counted. On but you, Know.
Speaker 3: Jalen, tyson you talk about guys that would be playing if this was a couple of years, Ago Jalen tyson would have been playing a lot of minutes for THIS gaff, Team like there's no doubt in my, Mind like he's a better player Than Lamar stevens ever was for. Us i'm just as encouraged by what he did against The knicks and giving them twenty two solid minutes on a night that they needed, them even though it was up and. Down it's almost, better, Right like guy coming in off an, injury you expect some russ. There the, turnovers he only had one in that, game so it took better care of the, ball some offensive, rebounds got the hustle, plays got a steal like.
Speaker 1: That to me was really really.
Speaker 3: Encouraging and having guys like, Him like when we talk about this young, group the two guys that actually HAVE nba contracts right, now they look like they ARE nba, players and That's Craig Porter junior and That's Jalen. Tyson that's super. Encouraging and in the instance Of Craig Porter. Jr you can just tell how much better he's gone since the last. Season like the, shot how quickly he gets into it has sped. UP i still think he needs to to kind of ramp that up a little, bit but you, know he looks like a much much more confident, shooter AND i think it's really helped open up the feel for his game because he is someone that can contribute on the glass with his, passing not a lead, guard but a really helpful combo guard to.
Speaker 2: Have, Yeah craig is you, know talk about the ultimate luxury for the. Team you, KNOW i think there is a pretty, clear you, know delineation which Him LIKE i don't see a world in which like we're getting into camp and being like it Can.
Speaker 1: Craig compete for backup? Minutes Like, NO i don't think.
Speaker 2: So and some of that IS i, think you, know one tie just being a bananas player all of a sudden and kind of shutting that.
Speaker 1: Door but like.
Speaker 2: There is also like some of the fit, stuff you, know it's hard to play him And darius together against really good. Teams you, know he And donovan are kind of an imperfect fit because of the jump.
Speaker 1: Shooting. Yep you.
Speaker 2: Know so LIKE i do think there's some fit limitations for. HIM i, do like strongly, think like there's a lot of teams in the. LEAGUE i Think craig would be their backup point. Guard, Yeah like and maybe there's a ceiling on, that but like just from a luxury, standpoint like if we have you, Know i'm gonna be like really reductionist if the top thirty point guards are all, starters which they're, not you, know but like if the top they're three point guards are all starters thirty one through sixty or all your backup point guards and you, know, uh you, know sixty one through ninety or all your third string point, Guards LIKE i would put someone Like craig in that middle.
Speaker 1: Tier he's in the.
Speaker 2: Thirty, yeah he's in that thirty to sixty, range WHICH i think is a really great.
Speaker 1: Outcome you.
Speaker 2: Know and like when you're if You're Kobe, aldman WHEN i talk about like how you have to hit, singles you have to hit doubles in, addition to the home. Runs you, know you got to keep getting the bat on the, Ball and, LIKE i think those kind of hits are almost not as important, obviously but they are important to the underlying integrity of your roster is that you always have slightly overqualified dudes in spots where they are ready to step up and fill a golf that otherwise would be challenging to.
Speaker 3: Fill, yeah those singles and doubles are incredibly, portant Right like they even if it's one we have injury, depth, two we have some leverage when we go into contract negotiations of, hey like we do have depth, here Right like we saw you know in that second Lebron, Run Kristin johnson and J. R smith were, like, hey we're bringing something that nobody else is bringing to the. Table when you have a bunch of guys that are bringing some on the, table the conversation, becomes, yeah we're going to respect you, here but everyone's going to have to sacrifice a little, bit just like you, know guys are sacrificing for the. Numbers do you want to be part of?
Speaker 1: This?
Speaker 3: Right so it gives you some leverage to that. Extent but you, know while singles and doubles are, important it's also important to hit some home. Runs and right, Now, CARTER i gotta tell, you the support from Zoom Ai companion is absolutely a home. Run because only you can do your best, work Zoom Ai companion can help you do the, rest like automatically taking, notes answering meeting, questions and helping you respond to your co. Worker bailable no additional costs with eligible paid. Plans were happy with Zoom Ai. Companion moving on from the thirty one to sixty range for point, guards let's talk about a top five point guard right. Now Darius garland was dominant At Madison. Square he was so much fun AND.
Speaker 1: I Love Madison. Square, garland by the, way hell of a, Pun hell of a.
Speaker 3: PUN i really enjoy, it AND i really enjoy what he did in that. Arena you, know just thinking back to a couple of years ago in the, playoffs he had one horrific game AT msg and one good game AT. MSG i think his overall series against The knicks is you, know doesn't get, it gets talked, about is worse than it actually. WAS i think he had a solid. Series we just didn't have anyone that had a great. Series but particularly When garland.
Speaker 1: Has been in a bit of a.
Speaker 3: Funk he's coming off the game Against chicago where he was, great but you know that that was kind of a one game sample for him to take over the way that he did Against New. York you, know shorthanded and you, know all the defenses focused on. Him he's splitting doubles with With Michail branch and ogn And, Noobi he's finishing in traffic out of playmaking was. Phenomenal it was just the perfect way to cap off his regular.
Speaker 2: Season, YEAH i THINK i think the stat was that he contributed eight of The cavs nine field goals in the final eight minutes of the game that he. Played you, know between his own buckets for he go six of six uh and in a couple of dimes as. Well just a complete takeover and a complete control of the. Game and you, know those games just feel so special when they're like we go As darius goes and.
Speaker 1: We're gonna get a good look every single.
Speaker 2: Time, yeah, like, uh you, know he was really really beating up the drop, coverage just Freezing Mitchell robinson or og or whoever happened to be in drop uh and either getting the getting the float or making the perfect the perfect, pass just an absolute dominant way to close out the game and Send nick's end of their like thirty seventh crisis of the.
Speaker 1: Season you, know.
Speaker 2: You, KNOW i, realized by the, way because now The knicks are zero and ten against The, Celtics cavs And, thunder AND i realized they've only lost thirty one, games so they're fifty one and twenty one.
Speaker 1: Against the rest of the.
Speaker 2: League, yeah, like and they just like they just can't hang against These cavs. Teams but like the fact That darius at the beginning of the year and at the end of the year shuts the door IN msg in the fourth quarter and just completely takes over and like makes sure that the game he is putting his imprint on the.
Speaker 1: Game so.
Speaker 2: COOL i went ahead and pulled this up because, like what was Just darius's fourth quarters AT msg this year twenty eight, points eleven of thirteen from the, field four of five from three and plus seventeen and seventeen point two total.
Speaker 1: Minutes my, god.
Speaker 2: My pretty good goodness if, that if you, know and, like in in both, instances playoff type crowds like That nick crowd was rumbling AT. Msg, yeah and they were in that beginning of the, year same thing like they. Were it was a big, moment a big, spotlight a big kind of. Opportunity and like the fact that he he passed with such flying, colors it's hard to even call it like AN a. Plus you, know it's like off the grading, scale how good he has been against The. Knicks and, like, Man i'm sad they didn't land on our side of the.
Speaker 3: Bracket let me tell, You, yeah that is a little, unfortunate but you, know it's you play who you have to. PLAY i would love to beat, Them but, HONESTLY i think even if they did land on our side of the, BRACKET i don't know if they're getting out of the first, round particularly this matchup Against. Detroit he said that they're all in ten against the top teams. There they're one and three Against detroit and that one win came On november, first When detroit was still find in their. Footing But, garland you, know he was dominant all season long in the fourth quarter and in the. Clutch sixty nine true shooting percentage in the clutch this, season which is very. Nice they had the best offense in the. Clutch all in the ENTIRE, nba they had the best, defense at least if you look at the top ten scores in the clutch this, Season garland was part of the best clutch defense sister turnover ratio of five in the, Clutch, like you, know he's not turning the ball. Over he's scoring efficiently from, three he's scoring efficiently from the, floor and he's scoring efficiently from the free throw, line like he was dominating those spots all. Year AND i think now that we're past game eighty two here should also reflect on the work that he put into bounce back from last, season because last season was incredibly difficult for him from a physical, standpoint and you look at this. Year the two games he missed have after that fall versus The, KNICKS i think those are the only ones that were like kind of true injury missed. Games the rest were all kind of rest. Games and, hey like you, know he's got a little something, nagging but we're playing it back to back here In, sacramento so we're going to. Arrestue it's game eighty, two so we're going to arrest. You he played seventy five games this, year and That's that's a really really encouraging sign when you know we've had conversations about durability in the.
Speaker 1: Past, yeah an encouraging.
Speaker 2: Sign and AS i kind of not mentioned going into our last pod and knocked on what And i'll continue to knock on.
Speaker 1: WOOD i, mean we're healthy right.
Speaker 2: Now that is so so exciting to kind of have in your back. Pocket is, like you, know the closest thing we have Is donovan's ankle turn and you, Know kenny was pretty clear like me would be playing if the game still, mattered.
Speaker 3: And reporting on him going through you, know aggressive, workouts and he'll be part of the interest squad scrimmages this, week so that that's really nice to. See and, like you, know everyone on the roster is going to that is expected to be in the play, rotation with the exception Of Jared, allen who frankly barely, played you, know and big shouts to him for getting all e the.
Speaker 2: Two we should definitely give him his flowers as. Well but everyone else is going to have at least eight days eight days off between that their last, game That friday, game and then the first game of the round. One so it's just it feels like if you wanted to control for outside, elements you aren't as controlled as you can possibly. Be, Yep and THERE'S i mean there's some piece that comes with, that you.
Speaker 3: Know, absolutely and you know it's AND i think credit has to go to the, players has to go to the coaching, staff has to go To Kobe altman in the front office for putting together the. Debt that they were able to take this kind of long term approach all, season it's really really. Encouraging they they've put them and they've earned the position that they're. In you, know that's we're we're in a better position from a health standpoint heading into the you know after game eighty two Than boston. Is Jalen brown's getting knee injections to try to manage the pain. There, Right that's that's something that's going to be worth keeping an eye. On it's it's a better position that they've been in that they've been. In you, know since we've been covering this, run you didn't know If Jared allen was going to play in the, play and he missed the first game and then the second. One he was playing through a hell of a lot of pain basically only using his left hand going into the next. Series isaacacuoro had, missed you, know several the last few weeks of the, season and it was a question of can he managed the pain and play through the pain in that. Series last year Obviously donovan's, Knee darius was a shell of. Himself, like this is just a much much better situation to be, in And I'm i'm. Curious i'm really really curious to see how this is all going to. Translate i'm feeling incredibly. OPTIMISTIC i feel incredibly it's not even. Optimistic i'm feeling incredibly. CONFIDENT i think that this team has absolutely has what it takes to win a championship this. Year and what we're going to see is have they learned enough from the past and are they able to be quick learners and learn the lessons that they haven't yet learned in the playoffs or at least they haven't demonstrated, yet because there is going to still be a learning. Curve like they've learned a, LOT i would assume from the past couple of, years But Kenny atkinson hasn't coached outside the first. ROUND a lot of these, Guys Max druson And Tristan thompson are the only guys that have been beyond the second. Round there's going to be some learning to. Do and thinking back to that Second lebron, RUN i remember How kyrie And tristan learned along the. Way even Though kyrie was playing through some. INJURIES i thought that there were strides that he made in that, postseason AND i think we're going to need to see the same thing From, darius From, evan from basically everyone on this team that hasn't been there.
Speaker 1: Before.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah they're going to have To they're to have to, Perform they're going to have to show their. Quality AND i do want to ask that because you mentioned your level of, confidence and you, KNOW i feel really good about the health of the. TEAM i feel really good about the talent level of the. Team they did finish their last sixteen games eight and. Eight, okay now context. Abounds you, know like two of those losses were ones you know you could probably categorize is they didn't work that hard to win them in terms of the rotational and roster choices they, made you, know getting guys, rest et.
Speaker 1: Cetera but does it does that.
Speaker 2: In any way affect your confidence that they win eight and eight down down the stretch run.
Speaker 3: Not even, slightly Because donovan looked really good in his last couple of games And darius looked really good in his last couple of, Games and that was pretty much the only question THAT i. Had AND i think that the time is going to do them a lot of. Good but this is a team THAT i think showed throughout this season when they had their little, ruts they bounced, back they bounced back. Strong and you, know even in that in innate, stretch there were some really good performances there when they turned it.
Speaker 1: On they turned it.
Speaker 3: On even with the guards not shooting particularly. Well it doesn't factor in even one percent into you, know my mental calculations. Here my confidence is sky high AND i feel really good about any of the perspective for matchups in the first, Round.
Speaker 1: Well, Yeah i'm not really talking about first.
Speaker 2: Round they nothing they could have done to close the season would have me really wondering if they could win the first.
Speaker 1: Round i'm just saying that from taking a step at a time.
Speaker 2: Here like like what about for, like you, know like to take it a step, further like like against a team Like indiana who's playing unbelievably good, basketball, like and they're in great. Form you, know does the end of the season affect how you feel about that or even going up to the next series Against, boston like where you?
Speaker 1: Go all? RIGHT i still intellectually know.
Speaker 2: We could win that, series but they haven't shown forty eight minutes of elite basketball in a minute for me to know that they're going to be able to call on it or. Whatever And i'm just ASKING.
Speaker 1: I stand on all of.
Speaker 3: It what's changed for me With indiana is the level of respect THAT i have for. Them the level THAT i think The calves need to play up to to win that, series you, know in five six, GAMES i think is higher THAN i would have thought it was a month. Ago my level of confidence is still very. High and WHAT i would say, IS i do not think a team in the first two rounds of the playoffs can beat The.
Speaker 1: Calves you don't think that they. CAN i don't think they.
Speaker 3: CAN i think The, calves if they were to lose in the first, ROUNDS i think they would beat. Themselves AND i don't think. EITHER i don't think any of the matchups that they would have in these first two rounds are good enough to put them in a position where they would beat.
Speaker 1: Themselves so it would.
Speaker 3: Be in my, opinion it would be you, know individual collapses or you, know something catastrophic that you can't.
Speaker 1: Control BUT i don't think any.
Speaker 3: Of these teams are at the tier that they can straight up beat The calves in the. SERIES i think it would be The calves not executing in them falling apart in ways that would, force you, know real conversations about where this team is.
Speaker 2: GOING i feel like that's a little bit of a tomato, tomato you, know, like if The calves fall, apart isn't it a little bit because someone helped them do?
Speaker 3: So you, know, like, no, no, No i'm not Giving india any credit.
Speaker 1: There i'm purely self reflecting. THERE i. THINK i don't, KNOW i think that there is A.
Speaker 2: I DON'T i need The cavs to earn that level of like fe confidence in a postseason you, know, again it all is going to ride back. ON i, think, Hey i've kind of peppered you with these. QUESTIONS i haven't really answered, myself which isn't very. Fair What i'll say is the, slump the extended you, know month long slump from three did show me like how the ceiling can drop for this team a little, bit and how some of their you, know and just like everyone right when your ceiling, drops like where are the spots where your floor is going to stay.
Speaker 1: High enough to? Survive you?
Speaker 2: Know and like there were some times WHERE i felt, like, well it's just like they're just so dependent on that three point volume to get them back into a rhythm that if they go into a playoff series and they're getting scouted like crazy and the threes are all twenty percent, harder you, know are they going to be a little more vulnerable than we want them to? Be so like there are SO i will, say like writ large the eight and eight stretched in the, year maybe it.
Speaker 1: Affected my opinion like five to ten.
Speaker 2: Percent you, know Maybe i'm a little five five to ten percent more anxious THEN i would be. Otherwise but like they can absolutely change that with a dominant first round playoff, Series LIKE i really do think that is going to tell me a, Lot like if they are PLAYING i don't, know let's say they play The hawks or The magic of The bulls or you, know or they heat any of them really AND.
Speaker 1: I think you save money says it probably will.
Speaker 2: Be one of those four all the all the betting experts, say but if they do play one of them and they and they win in four or, five and it's like three of them are ass, kickings it's, like all, right, nope, nope that was just their. Board but if it's a hard, SERIES i do, think oh.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah then you, know my confidence is going to be very shaken if that happens in the first.
Speaker 1: Round don't get me, wrong but that's.
Speaker 3: Fair i'm almost just taking it from like an inverse position Where i'm assuming because everything that they went through was, logical, Right like that was a month and a bit from, hell where they were just consistently on the. Road they were dealing with some nagging, stuff the slumps that we saw from all of the. Guards then you, know you see Ty jerome come back from some time off and he looks. Fantastic you see them have an extended stretch where they're at home or not traveling a whole, bunch And darius looks really, Good donovan looks really. Good like that correlation is just at the forefront of my mind, here So i'm, like, well this is confirming my, Priors So i'm not going to move off of my, priors And i'm right back to that level of. Confidence and you, know do you literally the only thing That i'm sitting here disappointed about On, Sunday april thirteenth IS i think sixty five would have looked. BETTER i would have liked to have see them get that. Win but you, Know I'm i'm not sitting here with a lot of concerns going into the. PLAYOFFS i feel really really good about their ability.
Speaker 1: To make it out of The Eastern conference right.
Speaker 2: Now, WELL i think it's also reflective of like what we think of The east right, now you, know ye like dame out for the foreseeable future In, milwaukee you, Know indiana with you, know really solid, team but not a team that's like screams high end ceiling to. You boston going through their ups and downs of A i, mean still a great year for, them, no, no no shade in their, direction but like you, know they don't look as devastating as they were last year at, times and then like even and then The cavs have a higher, seat you, know like they just straight up their one. Seat AND i don't THINK i think it's probably fair to say that we don't respect any of the seven through. Ten uh perspective opponents the way we respected last Year's magic, team especially.
Speaker 1: ME i love That magic. Team last. YEAR i thought they WERE i knew they were.
Speaker 3: Going to be hard to, beat and they were near the top of the conference and drop down because of.
Speaker 1: Injuries it was very similar to, us.
Speaker 2: Right so so for, ME i was like with them last, YEAR i was, LIKE i expect a hard, Series so when a hard series, Comes i'm not going to be. Shook everyone else can be, shook But i'm not BECAUSE i thought this was going seven in the first. Place and, uh but we felt.
Speaker 3: Really confident after The game one and two blowouts where The cavs just handled.
Speaker 2: Them, YEAH i mean for, sure but LIKE i did think they were going to CounterPunch and they. Did but whereas, This i'm, Like i'm expecting a four or a five game, Series so if it extends, longer, Yeah i'm gonna be a little.
Speaker 1: Shook, YEP i would be. Too could not agree.
Speaker 3: More what a fun season, Though, Yeah i'm really really. Confident CAN i pop quiz you for a second? Here, sure what do you think The celtics starting line up with? Porzingis what their net rating?
Speaker 2: Is versus The cavs this, Season, uh minus five point five minus forty?
Speaker 1: Two how many? Minutes what do you think? Of how many? MINUTES i THINK i can't.
Speaker 3: RECALL i don't have that. Available it's not a. TON i think it might be like, thirty might be thirty or something like. That last YEAR'S i think got up over one. Hundred who want to guess where it was last year With. Porzingis i'm going to go the opposite. Way i'm going to say is plus nine plus or sorry minus?
Speaker 1: Ten oh, wow we're just not worried about their. STARTERS i Guess i'm you.
Speaker 3: Know once, again this goes to show you how many minutes you need for things to. Normalize but even with all the struggles that The caves have had Against, PORZINGIS i think he does give them fits on the. Interior not a lineup that has had success against The, calves and it's not a lineup that has had success this season. Period SO I i really think it's a fair. Fight LIKE i said last, podcast if both teams are fully, HEALTHY i think you play that series over ten.
Speaker 1: Times The calves win for.
Speaker 3: Them calves have the ability, to just like at the start of the season WHERE i SAID i feel like there's at least a five percent chance we can win a. Championship what The cavs do over the first two rounds is going to either increase or decrease my confidence there WHERE i can, say, hey fifty to fifty even if both teams are fully, healthy and if both teams aren't fully, healthy and you, know The Jalen brown knee injury starts, lingering then you got a real opportunity. Here but The calves need to show that they can get this offense to translate to the, playoffs and they need to show that they have matured enough to execute at a high enough level to beat a team as good As boston in a. Series you can't have those first quarters that you had, before those sixteen old runs that you gave up in the regular. Season you're going to have to find a way to mitigate that and get it down to an eight o run Because boston's going to have those. Runs boston's going to you, know win a game by twenty in that. Series you're going to need to come out and not look shook the next game and execute at a, high high. Level that's the things THAT i have not yet seen from this team in the. Playoffs but they've shown me a lot this, season and they've shown me that their composure is at a much much higher level against the best teams in the, league and particularly in the.
Speaker 2: Clutch, yeah the clutch stuff does feel the, best you, know feels the maybe the most important piece of data available to. Us that's like shows that there's going to be something a little different for them in the playoffs and then we're not going to have This mondo drop. UP i also think just the straight up baseline is, higher which.
Speaker 3: Helps there is one other factor that gives me a lot of, confidence and That's Evan.
Speaker 1: Mobley, sure so much. Better that's better this.
Speaker 2: Year what do you think The cavs highest offensive rating was last year in the playoffs last and these individual game it was one twenty eight Against boston in that uber fun win In game.
Speaker 1: Two that's. Right the next highest was one twelve point.
Speaker 2: Six, really it just never really gone that, good and, like that's kind of and Then i'm pulling up last year their highest was one sixteen point three in their. Win their next highest was one oh four point four two years ago in that five game.
Speaker 1: Series so like they are there are real questions to.
Speaker 2: ANSWER i need to see four or five games in a row with you at one, sixteen, one, seventeen one. Eighteen Like i'd almost rather see that than one outlier game at like one forty and then a bunch in the one. Tens you, Know, yeah like they've got to got to got to score and u and it and UNTIL i see it in the. PLAYOFFS i do think that anxiety is just as a, fan isn't gonna go, away even Though i've got a lot of good data and evidence to support that it should be.
Speaker 1: Better but, Yeah i'm gonna be angsty about, it, DUDE i just don't see a way around it for. Me that's.
Speaker 3: Fair do you wanna before we get out of, here do you want to get some predictions for THE e series that we do, Know bucks And pacers And Pistons.
Speaker 2: Nicks, SURE i THINK i think that that's a perfect series for The. Knicks LIKE i THINK i think like The pistons kind of have to play a very similar way to The knicks in the sense that like they have one lead creator and and then you, know and then a bunch of like set tertiary creators at, best you, know and The knicks have one of the best bulldogs to throw out a lead creator in THE nba in Og AND i don't think The pistons have the size to punish The knicks for putting their power forward on their point.
Speaker 1: Guard you.
Speaker 2: Know Like duran is a very one of MY pec. HATS i love Watching Jalen duran, play but like he's not just gonna mash guys in the, post you. Know and, LIKE i JUST i don't. KNOW i think they're gonna win that. SERIES i think they're gonna win it relatively handily in like five. Games and then for The Pacers, BUCKS i don't, know, MAN i feel, like you, know The bucks have won eight games in a. ROW i was vaguely aware of. THAT i was not aware of that UNTIL i just.
Speaker 1: Got To issues always doing good, Work and, UH i don't.
Speaker 2: KNOW i just THINK i think The pacers are going to be wildly heavily favored in that. Series AND i just think the honest thing matters a.
Speaker 1: Lot it's it's going to take it at least six or. Seven he's going to average forty for the.
Speaker 3: Series, YEAH i think Ultimately i'm going to pick The pacers in. Six BUT i can absolutely See giannis winning that. SERIES i don't Think.
Speaker 1: Dan bucks and seven screw, it you, KNOW i like?
Speaker 3: That, okay all, Right i'll Go pacers and. Six you Go bucks and, Seven And i'm going to go the opposite way of. You On Piston's, Knicks i'm Picking detroit in SIX. Jb Bickerstaft's revenge. Series The knicks were one and three Against detroit throughout the. Season they really had a lot of trouble with. That i'm not a believer In Karl Anthony towns in the. PLAYOFFS i Think Kate cunningham did a really really good job Defending Jalen brunson all, season and they got they got, shooting they got, physicality they have.
Speaker 1: Depth JB's been running a deprotation.
Speaker 3: THERE i Think detroit's going to shock the world and beat a emotionally hurt next team because they seem to be going through a lot right.
Speaker 2: Now, yeah just pull it up On fandal just to. Check The pistons are plus three forty four, thirty so pretty pretty. Heavy dogs And pacers are minus two thirty and The bucks are plus one.
Speaker 1: Ninety SO i don't.
Speaker 3: Know IF i, GAMBLED i might jump on That detroit, One BUT i DON'T.
Speaker 2: I just don't know IF i would weigh those that far. Apart you, KNOW i think both of those are closer in terms of the overall matchup then maybe than maybe the number, show BUT i would Pick nickson.
Speaker 3: Five all, Right, Well i'm Going detroit in, six so, well it'll be fun to track who's right on that.
Speaker 1: One.
Speaker 3: Jb getting revenge against The knicks would be a lot of. Fun and then going up Against. BOSTON i want a world Where boston has to go Through orlando And detroit just from a physical standpoint before they make The Eastern conference. Finals so Maybe i'm Maybe i'm letting my hopes and dreams get the best of me.
Speaker 1: Real quick Out. West that's.
Speaker 2: Interesting couldn't have broken better bracket wise for The, Lakers, YEAH i. Know then getting The Tea, wolves a, weird messy T wolves, season and with you, know one of the Great gobert torturers Of gobert's career In, luca you, know one of the guys who makes his life horrible and seems to really relish. It so there's, that and then and then you know they're on the side of the bracket with The, rockets who no one really believes in if we're being really honest and as a postseason, team and then it's you, know the play in morass Of Golden. State if it's not The, rockets you're gonna Play Golden, State, Memphis, sacramento Or. Dallas AND i think The lakers would be heavily favored in all those except against The.
Speaker 3: Warriors SO i was hoping for The warriors to win this game. TODAY i wanted them to play The lakers in the first, round But jimmy's a little banged. Up maybe maybe a series against The rockets to get a little healthier would do some. Good Because I'm i'm firmly rooting against The.
Speaker 2: Lakers, Oh i'm firmly rooting for, Them SO i know you BECAUSE i want A Lebron Cavs finals so. BAD i think the ratings would be. BANANAS i think the excitement would be. Bananas there would be so many interesting.
Speaker 1: STORYLINES i, MEAN i want that, too BECAUSE i don't think they're that. Good, Well i'm not a. Believer, also and here's WHERE i here's WHERE i get.
Speaker 2: SELFISH i think they're the team with the best chance of beating The thunder in The, west AND i if The calves are getting to the, FINALS i would rather play The lakers than The.
Speaker 3: THUNDER i mean, Yeah and you, know in any of the other, ones Like, Denver i'm kind of ruling out after Fiery Michael.
Speaker 1: MALONE i just you, KNOW i.
Speaker 3: DON'T i don't think that's a move you make and then make THE Nba, finals you, know any of you, know The lakers Or warriors would be very fun. Storylines if you Get chapter five against The, warriors that would be absolutely.
Speaker 1: Ridiculous, YEAH i just. DON'T i don't think The warriors are good.
Speaker 2: Enough SO i don't think, that you, know, like you, KNOW i THINK i think in The west three teams can make the, finals AND i think it's, okay See lakers And.
Speaker 3: Nuggets really, OKAY i Give Golden state a better chance than The nuggets at this. Point nuggets have the best player in the, world so that does tend to.
Speaker 2: Matter IF i am so so so biased Toward nicola jokicch who is my favorite player to watch in the.
Speaker 3: League so he's a. Genius he's a lot of. FUN i can't fault you. There but Now I'm I'm i'm. Excited, man the playoffs are finally. HERE i feel like we've learned a lot about this group over eighty two, games and now we're going to learn some lessons that you can only learn in the. Playoffs and you, KNOW i hope what we learn is overwhelmingly, positive because that would would just be building off what turned out to be one of my favorite regular seasons of all.
Speaker 2: Time oh, yeah, brother we're. Here we did. It we did, It, Joe.
Speaker 1: We are finally.
Speaker 3: Here we will be Podcasting wednesday after the Second East Playing, game just so that we know who is actually, competing or at least have an idea who the two teams may.
Speaker 1: Be.
Speaker 3: Big thanks to everyone tuning in on. YouTube we really do appreciate, you. Guys make sure you like and. Subscribe click that notification bell so you know when we're going. Live if you're listening via podcast and you want to support, us leave us a rating we, review subscribe, unsubscribed resubscribe and help cook those. Books you want to be part Of Chase down's exclusive discord, chat send a Screen charlott review To chase down pot at gmail dot. Com however you choose to support, us we really do appreciate. It make sure you guys are staying safe out there until next, Time, okay