Speaker 1: Hey, there're folks. It is Monday, October the thirteenth, and the next movie on our horror hit list is all the more impressive because the actors had to shoot it all themselves without ever leaving their own homes.
Speaker 2: Welcome to this edition of Amy and TJ. As we continue on our horror hit list, we are number nineteen. This is a pandemic movie, Robes. And even if I didn't tell you that ahead of time, probably fifteen minutes into this folks will figure that out.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but it's remarkable given all of what was against them in terms of production value. It's a brilliant movie. It's funny, it's not that scary, but it's creepy and mostly it's just super super super entertaining. And well, the title, don't let it fool you.
Speaker 1: The title of number nineteen on our horror hit list is untitled horror movie. That is the name of the movie, Untitled horror movie. And it makes sense as you go throughout. But yes, as we are going throughout the month that we count down our favorite horror movies that you probably don't know, this is number nineteen on our list. And yes, this one was released Robes in the Summer of twenty twenty run right in the middle of the pandemic.
Speaker 3: Yes, but it hit right at that sweet spot of our twenty seven minutes. So it's eighty seven minutes long. It's not rated, and it's genre is horror comedy, and I would say that most people who watch this movie and love this movie would flip it and say it's a comedy with some horror in it, because it really is funny. I mean, the writing is clever, the acting is wonderful, and especially when you consider the fact that these folks were never in a studio together. They didn't actually get to interact with interact with one another in person to person. So it's pretty cool that they were able to pull this off and have it be as entertaining and as good as it is.
Speaker 1: Some of these faces you'll recognize in the movie as well. But this is one you ask about the box office, and there was not one. This one did not have a wide release in theaters. Instead, it went directly to streaming. You can find it several places streaming still. But the cast, some of these names you might not know, even though were some faces you might know. Darren Barnett is a name what was the show on Netflix. I just had it up in my head. Never have I ever he was starring in that show. Then there's Katherine McNamara, Emmy Raver, Lampman, Luke Baines. But Claire Holt, I think Robes is one who's certainly had some television stardom, and she was also in forty seven Meters Down, Yes, that horror flick. But she's our running buddy.
Speaker 3: Yes, we love Claire Holt. We have actually ended up right next to her, although she has taken off way ahead of us at two marathons now right, Chicago and New York. Didn't we see her at both?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 1: Yeah, she's at every I think she's been ever, maybe not the latter. Look we see her in marathon pretty much that we have run. But she is an avid, avid runner and a damn good one.
Speaker 3: She's she's fast, she's hardcore, she's fierce, and she's fun and she's kind and she's just sweet. We've just had so much fun getting to know her leading up to starting these races. A lot of times they'll put it well, they'll put us in a tent at least in New York City, and so we get to spend a little bit of quality time with folks who are about to run and we're all nervous and sharing that excitement together. So yeah, she's been awesome. So it's been fun to cheer her on the big screen in the small screen as well, just to know how what a cool human being she is as well.
Speaker 1: But she's the asshole in this movie.
Speaker 3: She's the asshole. But it's fun. Man, She's really good. She's such a great actress. She's not just a great runner. But here's the synopsis. By the way, I don't we haven't given that to you yet. This is the basis for the film, a comedy about making a horror movie. When six co stars learned their hit TV show is about to be canceled, they decide to shoot their own film unintentionally. Some a spirit with an affinity for violence. So yes, the violence ensues, but SODA's the hilarity.
Speaker 1: That's a pretty perfect write up for what goes on. And they all really embrace being some like Hollywood just hitted big arrogant kids who they nail. They embrace, and they nail that part of it to where you're almost not rooting for them in times.
Speaker 3: Oh yes, I mean, I forgot the character the Ditsi, the super Ditsi blonde. She just leans in fully to her role, and it's so fun to watch them. By the way, don't just take our word for it this time, we actually have the backing of Rotten tomatoes. The movie got a really decent score eighty two percent by the critics. The audience score, though, was a little lower than I would have expected, sixty eight percent. Maybe people did have an expectation to see more action or to see something scarier. That would be the only criticism I could think of. If you wanted to actually watch something that was going to scare the heck out of you, this probably isn't your movie. But they're There are still some scares. There are still some thrills, some deaths, obviously, but it's all done almost with your tongue in cheek, like you don't even know, like is that real? Is that a part of the shtick? Or oh no, wow, I think they actually did die. So again, you're not going to be on the edge of your seat scared to death, but it's so fun and so entertaining.
Speaker 1: Yeah, edge of your seat, even if it's not edge of your seat scared to death, the anticipation of so many things, and there are a lot of jump scares that isn't it's not a monster jumping out. Actually, it's just a movement or a moment or a little something. And they do this so well. Now, no critic consensus on this one, but we had to dig to find anything negative. Quite frankly, they were glowing a glare, excuse me glowing. Critic reviews one saying untitled horror movie isn't a bad film. It's a simple, low budget horror comedy that's having a good time, poking fun at the genre, and it's young Hollywood characters. Yes, it's having a good time. And again, it's so impressive that they pulled this off, never having been in the same.
Speaker 3: Room with you. He Yes. Another critic review a finely tuned horror comedy exercise that benefits from the chemistry of its cast and the managed expectations feel of its storytelling.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Another. If anything, this modest but entirely charming movie may deserve a tiny slice of immortality by showing the kind of goofy, escapist fund that can be created even in a grim time that's perfect for the pandemic.
Speaker 3: Yes, and the last one from the critics that we will bring to you untitled horror movie shouldn't really work as well as it does, but it's smart, hilarious and has a killer cast to make any doubts go away.
Speaker 1: Agreed they have to carry this to think that they were, and I wondered how much of this did they have to just did they have anybody to play off of always when they're reading their lines, because there's so much they have to do in a room on their own that's over the top. And I didn't realize how funny the movie was until I started reading some of the reviews and oh, yeah, it is funny.
Speaker 3: And then we re watched it. Easy for me to say, and it's still it. It held. I mean, we were still laughing. I still enjoyed the movie. It's because it is one of those movies that, because there isn't a lot of action orienticipations, so to speak, you think, I don't know what I want to watch this again. We did to review it and it absolutely delivers. To watch it again and I loved it even more, maybe the second time because I appreciated it in a different way.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah. A couple of negative ones coming from the audience. Reviews on Rotten Tomatoes, one just simply put it no horror, no comedy.
Speaker 3: Oh disagree completely, cop. I mean, then that person doesn't have a sense of humor because I thought it was so funny.
Speaker 1: No horror, no comedy.
Speaker 3: That come on, it had both untitled horror movie is a create a create creatively and intelligently meta horror film, bringing something fresh despite predecessors like Hosts that set the bar high. Oh yes, that's another fan favorite. But yes, there are a couple movies like this, and you think that they'd each be able to deliver, and yet they do.
Speaker 1: Some don't. There are a few out there because this was really this has been It hasn't been done to death, but it has been done a bit, and the ones that pull it off pull it off really well, and this one does do so. One here, not positive or negative, said these good looking young actors are not very good actors. Disagree, you issue with that one, But it is only funny at times, has a few good laughs, but just a few. That said. Somehow, it's still not a bad movie, reasonably good entertainment, not a waste of time. It was almost like he was upset he's debating with himself.
Speaker 3: I feel like it was a waste of time to write that review, Like, what's the point of saying they're not very good actors but also reasonably good entertainment. See, in order for you to be reasonably entertained, usually you do have to have some sort of clever acting and scriptwriting. And all of those things are true. I mean they I think the acting was amazing, I thought, and look, some of it was an actor playing an actor, and so they were going a little campy on it, which I appreciated. I thought that was part of the humor, the wink we were in on it. We understood what was going on, and so that's part of what made it fun.
Speaker 1: And we didn't even mention two cameos, I guess from this two pretty big name stars. Cal penn Is at the very beginning, he plays an agent, yes, right to one of probably the biggest knucklehead actor or a big old's knucklehead character. He plays the agent, but at the very beginning he has a very funny exchange with his client, so it was good to see him. And then Aisha Tyler Tyler, excuse me, who's a very familiar face and who of course plays Lana Kane on one of my favorite shows, Archer, but she's in there at the end. She was hilarious.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you were like, that's the voice, that's the voice that's of Lana in Archer, and I never realized that. But cal Pen's been popping up. He also was in Smile too, So it's funny when you see him as a comedian showing up in some horror movies. He must have love for the genre like us, and so he lends his comedic twist to a an otherwise horrific movie in a lot of ways.
Speaker 1: We see him do that memorable in both of those roles. He was only in minutes in both of them.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but I appreciated that. All right, So coming up, we're going to talk about why it made our list, who it's for, who it's not for, what to pail with, where to watch it, and a preview of the next movie on our horror hit list.
Speaker 1: Where did you say, peevo?
Speaker 3: Disorry? Sorry about that?
Speaker 1: What was the one earlier we rewatched? Believe it? Can't even believe you up to attempt?
Speaker 3: Well, we'll be right back. We continue our horror hit list and coming in at number nineteen. It is called untitled horror movie, and we thought it was an absolute ball of laughs and entertainment and fun, a few scares. It's got something for everybody. So we just thought we had to include this one because it did. It is a different type of horror movie. And I think that's what's been so fun about leaning into this genre is there are so many different types of horror movies. This is one that needs to at least get a nod.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And then while I was talking to you about this earlier, we when we put all of our favorites like this together, we don't realize theirs acting is key to all of these movies. It's not just somebody running around yelling and screaming through the forest anymore. This is these are well acted films, and we have picked some that have Oscar winners in them. Even so, we good job by us.
Speaker 3: Got ourselves on the back for including some of these amazing horror comedy genres. But yes, I think good acting is key unless you're going total campy, and then you almost have to hope that the bad acting is deliberate bad acting because of the campy nature of a movie. But I don't think we don't have any in there that we don't have anything like that in this list, because I do. Do you think that at least it's coming around where you do have bigger names now saying hey, I'm going to give a horror genre a try, because a lot of times I think before it was considered a throwaway or a waste. And look, to die well is an art and to wake up scared is an art.
Speaker 1: Don't you talk.
Speaker 3: About this all the time?
Speaker 1: Yes, if any pay attention to movies, folks, with especially horror movies, there's gonna be several scenes where somebody has to wake up from a nightmare of some kind. There's sometimes there's sweating, but usually have to be breathing pretty hard. I actually asked your daughter, who just graduated from acting school. I'm like, hey, do they have a class in this? No, they don't. We didn't have a day or less it should be.
Speaker 3: They need one.
Speaker 1: It's hard to do.
Speaker 3: That's when you can tell a good horror movie from a bad one. How someone wakes up from a bad dream. Yes, all right, so but this is total fun and the acting is stellar. Who is it for anyone who wants to be entertained. You don't have to be a fan of horror. I actually think if you're trying to introduce somebody into a horror movie or have them watch some thing that's somewhat scary, this is a really good one to bring everybody into because it's not going to keep you up at night.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is a fun ride start to finish. It had to be on the list. I think we found this one out of kind of nowhere. We didn't I don't know if we knew what to think of it, but fell in love with this movie. And so to your point there this if you're like I would again, I don't know why I'm giving parents advice. This is one for your kids. This is kind of It might creep the kids out a little a little bit. That's some creepy stuff. It's not monstrous, monstrous stuff, a little supernatural, but it's some creepy things go on to make you sit on the edge of your seat and will have you dropping.
Speaker 3: Yeah that's true, But who is it not for? Certainly anyone who wants to be really scared. This is not the movie for you. And you say it's not for anyone who can't pay attention you have to pay close attention to this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there are little moments that are subtle things trying to recognize a shadow. You need to hear what they're saying to kind of follow the story. This reminds me of this thing kids doing a sabine does it where there's a whole You follow a whole story, a whole mystery, a whole horror story just by following text exchanges. You're actually witnessing the text exchanges, and that's how you read the story. This feels like that to me. It's piece by piece. You have to follow line by line, and they're giving some type of information that's important throughout the story and their personality everything. You do have to pay attention, but it's not born.
Speaker 3: That's why watching it the second time I actually caught and picked up on things I didn't the first time. So it's one of those kind of films which is really great.
Speaker 1: But yeah, for you you can't pay attention.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I mean sometimes it's good for me to watch things over and over again because the first time, Yeah, because my mind was somewhere else or I had my face in my phone and that was a problem. So yes, if you can't pay attention, you shouldn't watch. And also, yeah, if you want action, this obviously this was shot during the pandemic. You're not going to have any cool action scenes. No, no special the effects, none of that stuff. So this is just this is great. It's almost like watching and this might turn people off. But if you ever see like a really good play on stage, like it's set in one scene and if you have great acting and great writing, you're transported even to just one scene, and that's kind of what this movie is. Like food drink pairing.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: The funny thing is I feel like this could be because you can watch it any time of day, and we have like mourning murders, Like we have different times a day where we're like, oh, this is a good morning horror movie or murder in the morning. Like that sounds crazy, but this is one you could absolutely watch at breakfast.
Speaker 1: Yeah it's crazy as that sounds. Yes, you can't put this, no, who does?
Speaker 3: I feel like this is a brunch horror movie. So that's where my theme is. I say, you have a mimosa, you have a wonderful omelet you can eat away because it's not that gross, it's not that scary, so you know, go ahead with the bubbles and whatever else you want to put in that omelet. I think you can have some fun with this. I call this, yes, a brunch horror movie.
Speaker 1: That's a good point. You can't watch this during the day, and it's another key point of that, not just the way it feels, but for practical intents and purposes. Because they're on zoom, they have to be lit so you won't get a glare from the television from nighttime scenes. So yes, perfect important note.
Speaker 3: And you can watch it if you have the Prime subscription Amazon Prime. It's free with that, but obviously it's streaming everywhere. And this is a fun one because some of them, you know, you miss not being able to see a movie like that on the big screen. That's not one of You could watch this on your computer at an airport and fully enjoy it, which is kind of cool. You can watch it anywhere, whatever size screen, and you'll still get an amazing movie.
Speaker 1: I didn't think about that. It might be a better experience if you put your AirPods in and have your laptop in front of you, because you feel like you're a part of what you're seeing. I didn't think about that.
Speaker 3: So anyone who's stuck in an airport with a delay, you know there are movies who I that I prefer to watch on an airplane, or that I would prefer to watch in a you know, a smaller setting, So this might be exactly that movie for you.
Speaker 1: All Right, well, enjoy, We hope you enjoy that one. But the next one we're going to be at nineteen.
Speaker 3: No, we're going to be at number eight eighteen.
Speaker 1: So this was nineteen, yes, so stay tuned for our next one, eighteen will drop tomorrow. Number eighteen on the list is Horror with Heart and it contains one of the funniest lines in all of the horror movies that are on our list. Would you agree with that?
Speaker 3: Yeah, you pointed it out when we rewatched it, and I had missed it shockingly the first time around, but you're like, wait for it, wait for it, and when it was delivered it was worth the wait. And if you want action, this movie is chock full of it. So with that, thank you for listening to our horror hit List. I'm Amy Roboch alongside TJ. Holmes. We'll have another one for you tomorrow.