Speaker 1: Happy New Year.
Speaker 2: It's Bills by the Numbers, where we let the stats tell you where the Bills are at. We're presented by a fanuel make every moment more with the playoffs on the horizon. What is Buffalo's most likely wild card matchup? Which AFC playoff opponents are the best and worst matchups for the Bills? And will have our one burning question? Time to settle up happy twenty twenty six Bills Mafia Glader along for the ride here on Bills by the Numbers, Bills Wall of Famers, Steet Tasker, Bill's play by play man Chris Brown here with you and the Bill's path to the playoffs will be a bit different this season, as it will not include a home game, at least here at the outset. Each of the previous five seasons, Buffalo began the playoffs with a home game by virtue of their division winning seasons. The last time they played a road playoff game was in twenty nineteen, when a sixteen to seven lead at Houston evaporated in an overtime loss to the Texans twenty two to nineteen. Buffalo has not won a road playoff game since the nineteen ninety two AFC Title Game in Miami. We all know it's one game at a time, but Buffalo will need to win three road games in a row to advance to the Super Bowl. Assess for me, if you will, mister Tasker, the path this team has to take to get to the Promised Land.
Speaker 3: It's a big ask. There's no question about it. Going on the road and beating three really good football teams. It's just it's a real, really rare feat. It's hard to go into a really good football team's house and beat them. We know that from being here in High Mark. So to do it three times to get to the Super Bowl, that's that's a rough go. But yeah, you do match up well with You're not gonna be afraid of any of the matchups now, barring any further injuries than they've already sustained throughout the course of the regular season, barring anymore that You're gonna like your matchup with any of the teams left in the tournament, no question about it. You're gonna feel good about it. Josh gives you an edge. Your running game gives you an edge. Your offensive line is good. Your defense has found ways in games here in the last month to be very effective, very effective, stifling almost so if you get into on these road games, the one thing that you can't do, you cannot turn the ball over. Even Jacksonville in their resurgence here of late, their defense is playing great.
Speaker 4: Is doing their number one defense.
Speaker 1: They've got the ball.
Speaker 3: They got thirty takeaways over the last stretch. So it's if you don't turn it over. The Bills have good enough players and a good enough roster to beat any of these teams.
Speaker 2: Your team in ninety two had to go on the road. Now was one game two you won two? Yeah, I believe you're won two road playoff games that you lost the division and you had to go to Pittsburgh and then Miami Pittsburgh to advance to the Super Bowl. The playoff pool was smaller. You only had to win two road games. Now you got to win three.
Speaker 3: That team won the playoff game in Pittsburgh with backup quarterback Frank Wright.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's twenty to six. It can be done.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it is possible. While at the time of this taping, the playoff seedings are not yet set, we do have the likelihood of where the Bills will end up courtesy of next gen stats, there is currently, prior.
Speaker 1: To Week eighteen play a thirty.
Speaker 2: Eight percent chance that Buffalo will be the number six seed. To create that outcome, the Texans and Bills would win and the Chargers would lose. La Is at Denver this weekend, and head coach Jim Harbaugh has already said they will not start quarterback Justin Herbert as they are choosing rest over in proving their seeding. That would likely send the Bills to Jacksonville, a team Buffalo has never beaten in the postseason. They are zero to two lifetime, having lost in nineteen ninety six thirty to twenty seven in Jim Kelly's last game of his career, and in Sean McDermott's first season ten to three when the Bills broke the seventeen year playoff drought. Jaguars are a hot team right now, winners.
Speaker 1: Of seven straight.
Speaker 2: This would pit the number one rushing team in actually the number two rushing team in the league. Let me correct that, because Baltimore has overtaken Buffalo the number two rushing team in the league against the number one rush defense in football. Jacksonville also second in takeaways. As Steve mentioned this season, with thirty through seventeen games. Your thoughts on that potential matchup.
Speaker 3: I'm okay with any of them going to Jacksonville. The weather will be good. It's a good track. They have got a great field. It's outdoors, it'll be honey warm. It'll be a refreshing trip for these guys to go down there. As crazy as that sounds, you get off the plane down in Florida and you just soak it in. Man, it feels good. It feels like and too because it feels good for the body. It feels great. Because I was laughing. We used to practice outside in it. You know, they're they're got the fieldhouse now and it's very nice. It used to feel like you were playing almost with no uniform on. It's like you were nude.
Speaker 4: It was because you were had to bundle up and practice up here.
Speaker 1: And you practice up.
Speaker 3: Here, you've got everything, everything, piece of clothing in your locker you're wearing, and you go out and practice like that, sweatpants like you've seen.
Speaker 4: You've seen Jordan Phillips.
Speaker 1: And where's this winter coat with a hood?
Speaker 4: That's what you do.
Speaker 3: So think about doing that and then going down with nothing but a t shirt on under your paths, let's go. It feels great. It really feels like a lot of fun. And so that's Jacksonville. And you know, you're always gonna play a good team in the playoffs no matter what you you. It's about the match. And I like the Bills chances against teams who don't play against this quarterback very often. I like it so and I'm not saying we're going to absolutely go down there because they're playing really well right now. In their defense is their strong point, and that's the problem for them. It's a little bit like the Atlanta team, and it's a little bit like the Cleveland Team's a little bit like those teams that have that defense. The Houston team, they hang their hat on their defense and their offense is do it now. Their offense has played well. But you know, you can't be there's no matchup in this tournament any of these teams are ever going to be afraid of.
Speaker 2: I do like the fact that the Jaguars have to play to win this week because they need to win in Week eight team to hold off Houston for the AFC South Division title. By staying a game ahead of them, Jacksonville would lose a tiebreaker to the Texans if they finish with the same one loss record, and Houston would take the AFC South. Now, look, they're playing the Titans, so the game might be decided by halftime and they can pull their starters then, But I like that Jacksonville has to play to win that game. And as we've said, long winning streaks are hard to maintain, and the Jags have won seven in a row. Defensively, they cannot get off the field on third down, and their pass rush for whatever reason, has not been as good as it's been in the years past. I think it's a winnable game for Buffalo, but Jacksonville, for some strange reason, has proven to be a difficult place for the Bills to score points. Everyone remembers that weird nine to six game Buffalo lost in twenty twenty one to the Urban Meyer coach Jaguars.
Speaker 1: They've got to rise.
Speaker 2: Above that and play solid three phase football. The next most likely landing spot for the Bills is the seventh seed according to Next Gen Stats at thirty five percent. Only the Chargers have a greater chance of finishing in the seventh hole at fifty one percent. A seven seed finish with likely send the Bills to New England for the wild card round. The Bills split with the Patriots, with both teams winning on the road in one possession outcomes. New England twenty three to twenty on a last second field goal. In Week five, Buffalo thirty five thirty one in a comeback from twenty one points down to match their largest road comeback in team history. In Week fifteen, New England has sustained a few more injuries of late. Mac Hollins joined Milton Williams, Kiris Tonga and Joshua Farmer, all defensive linemen on injured reserve. They're hoping to get left tackle Will Campbell back. He did not play in the week fifteen meeting against Buffalo. What can be said about playing a division opponent a third time in a season? You've done it, your team's did it with Miami.
Speaker 3: It's certainly you feel better about it now that you split. Even if you would have beaten them twice, you'd be like, you know, hard to beat a team. It's hard to beat a team three times, having split with them both one possession games. Remember the game in week of fifteen.
Speaker 1: Was it?
Speaker 2: Well?
Speaker 1: That was a comeback game.
Speaker 3: Yeah, unbelievable comeback by the Bills. But you know, and it's hard. It's hard to get up on top of a team in their own building. Yeah, I don't know what I would feel about that. Certainly the Patriots. I mean, they're as hated arrival as the Bills have in the current point in history, and it's true for a lot of teams around the league. But man, I don't know that they're playing an extremely high level offensively. Drake May is just as efficient as he can be. Just because of the Patriots.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 3: Like I said, I'm neither here nor there with any of these matchups. I think I like Jacksonville better because it'll be in better weather, it'll be better conditions, and I think our guys will thrive in that where they have been battling it and it'll feel like they have one less thing going against them in that game with the conditions. But I have no qualms about going to any of these teams.
Speaker 2: The Patriots are fifth in scoring, the Bills are sixth. New England has the number four offense. The Bills have the number five offense. The Patriots defense has slipped in recent weeks. Due partly to the injuries, particularly to their defensive front, while Buffalo's defense seems to be peaking at the right time. I don't love playing the Patriots a third time, and I've got an awful lot of respect for Drake May, but there might be some benefit to the familiarity. The last time the Bills played a division opponent on the road in the Wildcard round of the playoffs was nineteen ninety nine, when Buffalo played at Miami and lost to the Dolphins twenty four to seventeen.
Speaker 1: Finally, the third most likely outcome for.
Speaker 2: The Bills in the wildcard seating is the five seed. Tennessee and Indianapolis would both have to be Jacksonville and Houston, with Denver beating the Chargers and Buffalo winning over the Jets. According to Next Gen Stats, twenty seven percent chance of that happening. In this case, they would face the AFC North winner, that being either Baltimore or Pittsburgh, whose Sunday Night in Pittsburgh won the first meeting in Baltimore in Week fourteen twenty seven to twenty two. But the Steelers will be without dk Metcalf tight end Darnell Washington in this game, and TJ. Watt is a question mark after a punctured lung. So who would you rather face if this scenario on folds, Baltimore Pittsburgh.
Speaker 4: Baltimore's playing really hot right now.
Speaker 3: Pittsburgh has always had that feeling the entire season of their tread and water and they're doing it just they're just hanging on by the skin of their teeth.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 3: Certainly Aaron Rodgers is going to find a way to figure it out that he's going to get the most out of whatever they have of Darnell Washington is a loss for that team.
Speaker 2: Teacher's still trying to get Calvin Austin, their speed receiver, back from a hamstring injury.
Speaker 1: They're beat up.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Pittsburgh is. Pittsburgh is a little bit of a hot mess right now. They're still kind of hanging in there, no question about it, but they just took it on the chin from the Cleveland Browns. They seem to be fading at the stretch. If they find a way to beat Baltimore now that everything changes, I mean, that's that's a different kind.
Speaker 4: Of team you would think if they beat Baltimore.
Speaker 2: And there's the Lamar Jackson question too, is he playing and what shape is he in if he is, because he didn't play the previous week against Green Bay, Yeah, a game that they rode Derek Henry for over two hundred yards.
Speaker 3: So yeah, it'll be interesting. It comes down. I still think Baltimore they're rallying around their backup quarterback Huntly, They're gonna play really hard, and they're gonna be in Pittsburgh. So if they can go into Pittsburgh and beat the Steelers like that, well the steel you know. I just I just think Baltimore's I think Baltimore's just a freight trainer. I don't think there's any way they lose this game this weekend.
Speaker 2: I feel like both of these teams have kind of slogged their way through the season, Like it's hard to know if Lamar Jackson is going to be fully healthy in that game or the rest of the way if they happen to win and qualify for the playoffs. But they've leaned back on their run game, and Baltimore is very quietly, as I said earlier, overtaking the Bills as the number one rushing team in football. After Derek Henry's two hundred plus yard effort at Green Bay in Week seventeen. I don't feel like the Steelers have anyone on their roster like Derrick Henry or Lamar Jackson at any position, and for that reason, I'd rather face the Steelers if this seeding scenario were to play out. Time to swing things over to the Numbers game, where Steve will be quizzed on Bills playoff trivia. Let's do it, all, right, Steve. Question number one, what are the most points ever scored by the Bills in a road playoff game? Uh?
Speaker 4: Thirty whatever, I'm gonna safe.
Speaker 3: Whatever we scored in the championship game against the Dolphins in ninety two.
Speaker 1: That was twenty nine to ten the final. You want to go with that, Yeah, I'll go with that.
Speaker 2: That is incorrect on a road playoff game in Bill's history. I will give you a hint.
Speaker 4: It's in the sixties or something.
Speaker 1: No, it was.
Speaker 2: Actually a loss.
Speaker 1: Most points scored the road playoffs.
Speaker 3: Oh, it was in Cleveland, the Cleveland Browns game nineteen eighty ninety.
Speaker 1: That was thirty four to thirty. But it is incorrect.
Speaker 4: I don't know who is it.
Speaker 1: It's the thirteen to second game.
Speaker 2: Oh, forty two, thirty six in overtime thirty six points at Kansas City in twenty twenty one. Question number two, what two AFC teams have the Bills faced in the playoffs on the road most often?
Speaker 4: AFC teams on the road most often.
Speaker 2: There's two that are tied, and it's three times each they have faced these teams on the road in the postseason in.
Speaker 4: The Tennessee slash Houston.
Speaker 2: It is not Tennessee slash Houston or even or not. That's only twice if you add them together. Miami, not Miami, which would have been my guess.
Speaker 1: I was surprised by this, which is why I thought it was.
Speaker 3: A good question.
Speaker 2: San Diego, not San Diego only twice.
Speaker 4: Gotta be Indianapolis.
Speaker 3: It is not Indianapolis, see because they used to be an ordivision I taught in Media League.
Speaker 1: Indianapolis didn't make the playoffs.
Speaker 4: Kansas City.
Speaker 2: Kansas City has won thanks to the most recent team going there in every stink in.
Speaker 4: Year, Kansas City and the Jets.
Speaker 2: It's actually Pittsburgh, Kansas City and Pittsburgh. Question number three, what is the highest team rushing yardage total for the Bills in a playoff game in their history? And I will give you a hint. You played in that game, Kansas City Chiefs.
Speaker 3: Champion Championship game, Thurman Thomas Boss.
Speaker 1: No, there's one that was more.
Speaker 4: Miami Dolphin's down there the championship game.
Speaker 1: You have the right team, you have the wrong game.
Speaker 4: Thirty four, forty four to thirty four snow game.
Speaker 1: Nope, it's not that game.
Speaker 2: It's December thirtieth, nineteen ninety five against Miami Bills win thirty seven to twenty two. You want to guess the run, give me the guests on the rushing yardage total because.
Speaker 4: It was fat was in the wild card round.
Speaker 1: Yeah, down there here nineteen ninety five.
Speaker 3: I think Timmy Tindale, he had a big game game, Timmy Day, tim Tindale's.
Speaker 4: Let's go the Canadian comet. Love it.
Speaker 1: Ah. He wasn't alone.
Speaker 3: I gotta be gotta be two between two twenty five, two fifty.
Speaker 2: It's almost one hundred yards more than that. Really, I was stunned by this. The Bills ran for three hundred and forty one yards go against the Miami Dolphins on December thirtieth, nineteen nine hours today. Timmy Tyndale with sixty eight rushing.
Speaker 1: Yards Derek Holds.
Speaker 2: With eighty seven rushing yards and Thurman Thomas with one fifty eight three hundred forty one rushing yards on the ground. Question number four in the Sean McDermott era, which AFC club have the Bills beaten the most in the post season?
Speaker 1: Sean McDermott era only.
Speaker 4: Oh gosh, beating the most.
Speaker 2: We're only talking about a nine year stretch here.
Speaker 1: Pittsburgh. It is not Pittsburgh.
Speaker 4: Who they even play Baltimore twice?
Speaker 2: It is Baltimore And the answer is twice. I've beaten them twice in the playoffs. Wow, there you go, Divisional round for both games last year.
Speaker 1: And in twenty twenty, the COVID year.
Speaker 4: So the COVID year.
Speaker 1: The numbers game three hundred and forty one rushing yards.
Speaker 3: Holy moly, unbelievablely snapped off a fifty plus yard touchdown right then finished with sixty eight.
Speaker 2: That's great, unbelievable rushing total. My eyes popped out of my head when I saw that. Yeah, Bill's fans get in on the action with fan Duel, America's number one sportsbook. Just download the app to play anyway you want, plus with live betting you'll get updated odds on games that have already started. Best of all, you get page your winnings fast make every moment more with FanDuel Official sportsbook partner of the Buffalo Bills. Time now for our one burning question, and we looked ahead to the postseason and ask who will have more rushing touchdowns in Buffalo's wild card playoff game, Josh Allen or James Cook.
Speaker 4: Hmm, I'll say I'll say Josh.
Speaker 3: Okay, yeah, just because I think they'll get I think they'll get in close and we'll get him close, and they'll put the ball in the hands of their best player and turn him loose. Now, you know, there's a ton of stuff could go wrong, but I think that's a good question. It's a good question. I think how many times will they both have a rushing touchdown in a game would be a good question too, I think because.
Speaker 4: They're going to hand it to James Cook in these rights.
Speaker 3: And this is that year.
Speaker 1: And the other thing too, is.
Speaker 2: They've both been neck and neck all season long with multiple rushing touchdown games. I think Josh has five, right and Cook has four if I remember right from the last time I looked that up. It may have changed since the last time I checked, but they're both doing a job right on the ground this season. Just for the sake of argument, I'll say James has more rushing touchdowns in Buffalo's wildcard playoff game.
Speaker 1: Hopefully they both have a bunch. Hopefully James has three and Josh has two. That would be nice. I'll take that.
Speaker 2: Because I think it would be an appropriate representation of what this season has been like.
Speaker 4: On offense. Josh has fourteen rush and James has twelve On the season.
Speaker 2: They've been neck and neck all season long. Our closing figure deals with James Cook's quest for the first rushing title in his career. He currently has a forty seven yard lead on the Colts Jonathan Taylor, and he's just one hundred and thirty seven yards ahead of the Ravens Derrick Henry, who is back in the race after going for over two hundred at Green Bay in Week seventeen. If Cook finishes atop the league's rushers, he'll secure the first rushing title for the Bills since OJ Simpson in nineteen seventy six. That'll do it for this episode. Be sure to subscribe on whatever podcast platform you use. So you know what our next edition is out, or watch us on the Bills YouTube channel, because when you need to know about the Bills, you need to check Bills by the Numbers.
Speaker 1: For Steve Tasker, I'm Chris Brown. Thanks for listening. Happy New Year everybody,