Speaker 1: Welcome into Northside Territory File Territory Networks Cubs Podcast. I'm Zadiv Sharma with my partner Patrick Mooney. We are your Cubs beat writers over at the Athletic. Patrick. Before we get to the show, I want to direct everyone to Foul Territory Shop dot com. The shop the twenty twenty six All Star collection now at the new look site. The drop features every all Star including PCA. Keep an eye out for more officially licensed gear throughout the rest of the season and playoffs at foul Territoryshop dot com. You can scan that QR code if you're watching on YouTube right now. But that's Foul Territoryshop dot com. All right, Patrick. It was the ten year reunion this weekend of you know, the series No No Cubs fan can forget a World Series. I was not there on Saturday. You covered it. Tell us tell us about the event, tell us about the vibes and how it was.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was hot. I think a lot of people. I it was some long nights there for the twenty sixteen crew, and they certainly enjoyed themselves out in the right Fields bleachers there. I guess our guy Nick Fredell was out there for that home run ball that Michael Bush hit that you know, Rissol did not actually catch. That was a spirited debate on our slack breaking news channel or whatever channel. It was just sort of like, wait, did this just happen? And didn't something like this happen actually last year? But just very very Rizzo, you know, man of man of the people out there. And yeah, I think it was almost you know, I think it's kind of funny to do a quote champions Gate when you have three World Series titles in one hundred and fifty years, But I thought it blends in well, just kind of visually, and I think they did a good job overall, just like kind of bringing those guys together. I mean that's I mean, that's what theo Epstein said. Like everything was first class, Like this was not a one afternoon It was really a full itinerary over multiple multiple days, families involved, you know a lot of kind of picking up where they left off, and it's almost almost fool proof in the sense like that team was just so larger than life and they just created so many great memories for Cubs fans that just like you know, putting their face on the video board or just kind of giving a glimpse of them walking out onto the field. It was a kind of an automatic slam dunk. You know, good feelings and you know the Cubs, you know, won a Series one, two games played pretty well. And yeah, there are two people that I chose to write about just because I thought they were just kind of a newsworthy angle. And I think maybe we start with David Ross.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, obviously, like Ross is a it's a fascinating story, right, Like I mean, like the hero like a hero's welcome, carried off the field? Was he like carried off the field? Am I remembering this right? Yeah? Yeah? And I didn't make this up? Okay, yeah, yeah it.
Speaker 2: Sounds made up, but it really was.
Speaker 1: After you know, just like a huge figure on that World Series team obviously comes back and manages the team and is unceremoniously fired to hire Craig Counsel. Could very easily have been an awkward situation for him returning, you know, being around Jed Hoyer, the man who fired him. How was that situation? Like, what were your feelings? How was Ross kind of behaving? I guess did it feel awkward in any way? No?
Speaker 2: He was definitely in character. You know, he spoke with a group of us alongside Anthony Rizzo, so they had their kind of banter back and forth. Like you know, Rizzo was like, you know, take off your sunglasses. He used another word in front of sunglasses. When you're doing an interview. Someone asked Ross about being a coach, and he was like, I was never a coach. I was the manager. Like he has that sharpness to him, and you know, my question was just I felt it just had to be asked, like, at any point in this planning for their union, do you have any second thoughts? And he said no. He said, this is all about kind of the brotherhood they created, Like wherever these guys are, I'll drop everything and be there. You know, it's about celebrating the team's accomplishment, not really his individual feelings. He said that feels like a whole other chapter of his life. That's why he went to Cups convention in January. So I feel like there were some intermediate steps before walking out onto the Wrigley Field grass and holding the World Series trophy during the national anthem, and so you know, I think I may have said this before, but I think it's kind of like David Ross got that job. When him getting into the job, that means Joe Madden loses a job. So there was some awkwardness in how he got the job, and I understand why he was hired then, but it was sort of a very narrow criteria with a specific group of players and you know, club officials upstairs. I think, on balance, he did a pretty good job, and now, weirdly, I think he's a much more attractive candidate. I think he has a lot of really good experiences, but it seems like at the moment, at least, there isn't that same sort of mutual interests that I don't know if he has that sort of godfather figure the way that theo Epstein was to kind of like you know, annoint him, or that same set of players and coaches in front off the staff that where he can kind of be plugged in the same way. But I think he you know, he learned a lot from his time in Chicago, and you know, the sense that I got was not bitterness, It was appreciation for like, Wow, how lucky you are to be part of this team. You know that you know, he jokes about John Lester, made him a lot of money. You know, it got him in into ESPN, has this podcast through Anthony Rizzo, Like a lot of great things that in his life came through the Cubs, And I think that is the overriding feeling. But still I think the urine would have been a little different if he was still the manager, And I think these last couple of years would have felt a little different in terms of that connection to twenty sixteen.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well there's a couple of things here. We don't can get into the whole psychology of it, but it wouldn't I don't think it'd be the healthiest thing to still be upset about. Obviously, I'm assuming he wasn't thrilled at the moment and for a little while afterwards. But to hold on to that for what it would be like we'd be pushing three years now. Right since he's been fired, it's like two and a half years. Like hopefully he's moved past the whatever, the bitterness or the anger that he likely felt initially. But he also it wasn't like it was a disastrous tenure, Like he wasn't fired. Yeah, because yeah, he wasn't fired because like this is a mess and they need to find someone else. Hoyer just viewed it as an opportunity. He viewed Craig Counsel as the best manager in the game, and he went and got him, Like you get it. It was pretty like it was devoid of like sentimentality, or you could argue it was a callous move whatever, but he went and did what he thought was best for the organization at the time. Yeah, it is interesting that he's not more talked about as a potential manager though for other teams. You're right, like he doesn't have that connection that theo Epstein connects connection that he obviously had with the Cubs. But yeah, no, I'm not surprised that he's not like lamenting it and sitting there bitter still like he's He's is a guy that can spin things pretty positively. He's also a very confident guy. I don't think he thinks he's like like, he believes he's a good manager and he's better than he was even when he was managing the Cubs, Like he learned something from that tenure. I like, he's not looking to, like, you know, take a minor league job or something like that. I think he believes he's a good manager and deserves another shot at it, so someone that didn't sound like he was ready to get back in the game as far as running things theo Epstein, you asked him about the potential of him being, you know, running baseball ops somewhere again.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I felt I needed just that quote on the record for whenever hiring and firing season really starts up again. And obviously he has a minority ownership stake in the Red Sox, so like there's like eight steps ahead. But I'm assuming you'd have to unwind that if you wanted to join another major league team. But yeah, he's very comfortable in his life on the East Coast, with a mix of personal and professional responsibilities, spending time with his family. He's really enjoyed that.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: I think one way he sort of marks this ten year reunion is you know, when the Cubs one sixteen, you know he's sitting there with his older son viewing it through his eyes, and you know he is now preparing to go off to college. And so that's kind of how how time flies. And I don't know, I just wanted to ask it because you know, Ross felt that deep connection to THEO, like THEO had this swagger, this confidence, this gravitas about him, that he was never a player, but he could always just sort of say screw it, like he could always walk away or he could you know, go at. He could manage up, he could manage down. He could speak to the media in ways that not everyone can. He could talk to players in ways that not everyone can. I should at as well. And so Ross felt that with THEO, I think more than Jed, even though they had a fairly good relationship going into it, like that was Theo's higher even if Jed you know, signed off on it after twenty nineteen. And so just hearing THEO, you know talk about you know, being background the guys and you know, telling the old old stories and getting a run around Chicago for a couple late nights, I was just curious if if that got the competitive juices flowing again. The Red Sox are playing a lot better now. I think maybe the quote would have been viewed differently if they were still in a tailspin. But no, he's you know, he felt liberation was the word he used when the Cubs won in sixteen, knowing that that would give him the freedom to walk away whenever he wanted, if they hadn't won. He never would have walked away voluntarily. He knew that was like the job to do. So I don't know, something to keep in the back of your mind, you know, I thought it was worth asking, Like, if he's standing there, I had to look forward somehow. I don't know how many of those opportunities will become available this offseason. I guess the Angels are kind of in transition. I guess the Padres are in the process of finalizing a sale. But you know, you can afford to be juicy. So like, whatever jobs are out there, there are very few that would appeal to him, just in an abstract sense. And so it sounds like, you know, he's pretty set on continuing in this role with the Fenway Sports Group.
Speaker 1: Yeah. No, it really like I'm not sure what more he has to prove there. Maybe just them, like you said, the competitive juices. That's the only thing I could imagine him just want like wanting that competitiveness and like to be in the mix again. But it makes sense for him to stay, you know, kind of out of that side of things. Let's take a quick break and talk about some baseball stuff, some stuff going on in the field. And just how the Cubs could possibly improve this team over the coming weeks. What if you can actually have it all?
Speaker 3: And I'm talking about mint Mobile taking the premium wireless bouginess crats, but then bringing it to the transparency in pricing and the affordability in pricing.
Speaker 2: They're going to lay everything out there with a cheap bill that you know what everybody can handle right now.
Speaker 3: You can even bring your current phone and your number. If you're thinking about it and you're like, I'm worried about that, No worries. They have you covered because they're able to convert people all the time to the Mintmobile way. Go to mintmobile dot com slash territory. That's mintmobile dot com slash territory. Cut your wireless bill of fifteen bucks a month at mintmobile dot com slash territory.
Speaker 1: That's it.
Speaker 3: There's no catch upfront payment of forty five dollars for three months, ninety dollars for six months, or one hundred and eighty dollars for twelve month. Plan required fifteen dollars per month equivalent taxes and fees extra initial plan term only greater than fifty gigabytes may slow when network is Busy includes up to twenty gigabyte hotspot capable device required availability, speed and coverage varies Cementmobile dot Com.
Speaker 1: All right, Patrick, when when talking about how the Cubs improve, it's important to understand, you know, how their system is. And I asked Jed Eyer about like the state of the system essentially, like how where he felt things were, and it was pretty clear. It's been a good year. You know that they've they've improved, the system's gotten better. And it primarily that's happened on the position player side. Like it's a lot of position players either you know, had bounce back seasons, I guess, or or kind of broke out. Uh. And and it's looked good. It's it's a it's a ton of talent there as far as bats go. Curious to see how many of them are available in the trade, you know, Like I think the big name that everybody saw breakout this year is Josiah Hartshort sixth round, sixth round pick out of high school, high school kid. Uh. They paid him, well, it wasn't like it. They were shocked that this is how it turned out. They liked him, they tarted him, and he's he's played really well, he's a top fifty ish prospect. Some would say better than that. And and I would say from just like understanding how these how how this you know front office works. This guy isn't going anywhere unless they're getting a pitcher who's around for more than this season. He's not going for a rental. Jefferson Rojas is probably like the code number one in the system. Uh, you know, middle infielder, contact power. We're very highly thought of prospect as well. And those are the types of names. If they're moved, you're not seeing, you're not seeing, you know, unless the Cubs get in on Trek's schooble and and we're talking about a different thing and some like then maybe, And even then, I just don't think that's how Jed Hoyer and Carter Hawkins think.
Speaker 2: No, I mean what jumped out to me and your piece is Jackson Wiggins. This idea we kind of alluded to it over the weekend of you know, if they've restocked the pitching side a bit, if there are some injury concerns, like normally, if you're trading a pitcher, you'd like to backfill on some level. And it seems like Wiggins plus one of these hitters, even if they're sort of on a second tier of prospects, like that will get you something that can help in a pennant race. Like I know that's not maybe that doesn't get you a two time cy Young Award winner, but he might not get traded anyways. And I think the main takeaway from your show is like Cubs are open for business, right Yeah.
Speaker 1: I don't think there's any pitching prospect off the off the table, like as far as like they drafted a bunch of guys. I feel like they're you know, they they are high on who they drafted and and guys are available. There's also I mean there's some injuries. Caleb Wing is a is a young guy that looked good for you know, high school guy drafted last summer. I believe he's out for the season. I don't know exactly it's an arm injury. I don't know exactly what's going on, but they don't sound optimistic that he's going to pitch again this year. Dominic Reed is someone they drafted last year that was the that was pitching. Well, he's got a shoulder issue. He's not going to get on the mound. It doesn't sound like again before the deadline, which likely makes it hard to move a guy like that, Like you can't. It's it's hard to move guys that are injured unless someone's just like Naborn with this guy and willing to take the risk. But it also dampens their value obviously. But there's they're they're willing to move the guys like that. You know, everyone that was in the system pre draft, every arm that was in the system pre draft, I would say, it's available for the right for the right price. You know, they they're they're willing to move these guys. They're they're they didn't love their pitching in general in the system. Uh, that's why they went so heavy with with pitching in the drafty. They were trying to find better fits and guys that they felt were higher upside and they could develop and and turn into you know, big pieces of of either the major league team or or do this again in a couple of years.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think some of these guys they have to trade. I know, you don't want to make moves out of like desperation or feeling boxed in, but like you know, Seaw Ramirez, then you get to that next layer of like a James Treanto's. Yeah, it was at triple A. He was a second round pick in the twenty one draft. He had reclassified the Cubs bought out his commitment to UNC. Thinking, like the best college hitters in the draft, this is what it looks like when they're in high school. And he hasn't gained a ton of traction in terms of, like, you know, being that next man up or generating a ton of buzz. The power just hasn't really come. But as you put it, he's quietly hitting like three fourteen now with an eight hundred plus ops. He is on only twenty three years old. He's on the forty man roster as you put it, like the best thing for his career would probably be getting traded to a rebuilding situation where he could get some runway. And like he's not the only player in that sort of predicament, Like there's not a clear path to Wrigley, And sometimes the longer you keep these guys, the less valuable they become.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it feels like Torianto's needs to be moved for both sides, like to maximize his value for the Cubs and for him to get a chance to you know, you get some major league ginnings, get out there and get in some games for some team that's you know, rebuilding and willing to give him time out there. Kane Kepley. I saw something online yesterday that he may have left a game injured. But that's a guy that, you know, center fielder like good defender, fast. He doesn't have power, but he gets on base a ton. Can you know, make a ton of contact? Like what's his path? Like, how is he gonna get to the big leagues for the Cubs? It just doesn't make sense with Pek or Armstrong in trench and center field. That's a guy that has some value. There's there's some good depth here. I like one name that I don't think the Cubs would move because it's hard to find young catchers his own as he's kind of broken out this year. I know he's twenty five. Catchers develop a little slowly. I just think I could see him like he feels like someone that like next year at this time, we're talking about like, oh, own a Ors is playing pretty well for the major league team. He's a nice bat. That's that's just my personal opinion just talking to people around the team like, and I also remember it was a year and a half ago they were desperate for catching. Like, you don't just give away catching in a trade. It's unless you're you know, unless a team is admin. It's kind of like when when the Cubs got Michael Bush, the Dodgers didn't want anyone else but Sire Hope. You know, the Cubs didn't want to give Zire Hope away, But that's who the Dodgers demanded in that trade, and that's what they need to do get the deal done. So I guess if there's a deal where they're getting someone that they rarely value, you could see, Like, I don't think any of these guys are really untouchable, but that's that's a name that I would add to like the just below Hartshort and Rojas, maybe even equal with them, just because he's a catcher and they're so hard to develop catchers, so hard to get catchers. He's supposedly pretty good behind the plate, and he's just raking everywhere he goes. He's kind of broke out in the AFL and hasn't stopped hitting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think know the Cubs don't have the number one farm system. Yes, some of these trades like will have to hurt, Like that's the the idea, But I think they have enough to be credible in just about any conversation, particularly when you include a Matt Shaw once he's healthy, or if you can discuss like I don't think they're going to trade Moistus Biasteros, but teams will have to listen, you know, if you're if you're that open minded, and there are if you're structuring a deal, you know, you can kind of go longer with Jefferson ROAs you can give an immediate everyday player in a Matt Shaw. And obviously there are you know, kind of degrees within those ranges later on pitching. But you never know what another team's model or scouting group might say. I think the Cubs, if another team is dead set on getting pitching, the Cubs are just like at a disadvantage. But there are other ways to sort of compensate to a degree for that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And it's also important to remember, like when we talk about you know, like a maybe a mistrade like the Michael Soroka trade, Eli Morgan trade, like the prospect that you gave up Ronnie Cruz and Alphone's seen Rosario they may never become good major leaguers. I think the issue you have with those trades is you didn't get the value of what those like Ronny Cruz is more valuable now Rosario is more valuable. Now you can get better players. Do you want to What you want to do is trade even if you don't love the prospect, you want to make sure you're maximizing their value. So you know, that's why when I say, like, Jackson Wiggins is available, well, do the Cubs love him? Do the Cubs think like or do they think like, maybe this is his best value and he's a reliever in the long run though. Those are the types of decisions they need to make over the coming weeks. All right, let's take a quick break and kind of talk about why they're going to have to make these moves and be so open minded about who's available in the system.
Speaker 4: This episode is brought to you by FanDuel Baseball Fans. The MLB season is in full swing, and FanDuel is giving you a chance to call your shot with daily dingers. Joining the action is easy. Just make your free pick on who's hitting a home run in their game, and if you're right, you'll get a profit boost to use on your next bet for a chance at extra winnings. It's just another reason why FanDuel is the home of home runs. So are you ready to play your game? Head over to FanDuel dot com slash podcast to get started. That's FanDuel dot com slash podcast. To opt in for daily dingers, make your free pick on who's hitting a homer playball swing for the fences on FanDuel, an official partner of Major League Baseball. No purchase necessary, opt in required, bonus issued does non withdrawable profit boost tokens. Restrictions apply, including any token expiration and max wager amount. See terms at sportsbook dot FanDuel dot com. Gambling problem caller tax one eight hundred gambler.
Speaker 1: So, Patrick, we got we got updates on everybody's health. Jamison Tyne is expected to be activated before tonight's game and pitch and start for the Cubs. We're recording on Monday. By the way, outside of that, it wasn't like imminent returns for anyone. You know. Edward Cabrera I think is a few weeks away. Still, I'm probably missing some other names, but the next name I was thinking of is Daniel Palencia, which essentially amounted to a setback, like he's not you know, he doesn't sound like he's coming back real soon. Like it sounds like he'll be back, but it's not imminent. Uh. That puts a lot August. Yeah, Yeah, that puts a lot of pressure. Yeah, that puts pressure on the bullpen. That push pressure on the starters. They need innings. And I asked Chad about the idea of like is it as simple as you know, are you sticking to your outgetters idea or do you need to go get a starter? And I was actually a little surprised by his answer because he's like, you know, we yes, we love outgetters that you know, you don't want to over complicate things sometimes and you just need to get the twenty seven outs. But you know, councol doesn't want to burn through these bullpen arms. You can't do that. You need guys that can get you eighteen twenty one outs. We saw like it was a ten nothing game yesterday Sunday against the Twins. At one point it was ten nothing. I believe in and shoulda Monaga went seven innings because that's valuable, Like he was, he was he wasn't wasting a lot of pitches. It's not like they sent out there for one hundred and twenty pitches. It was sub one hundred pitches and he gave them seven innings. That's important. You want starters that can do that. Can he go out there and get the eighteen twenty one out guy? That remains to be seen. But I thought it was interesting that he didn't just say, like, look, we need to get improve the pitching. Doesn't matter how many outs we get from the guys we acquire.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was surprised by that one as well. That quote jumped out to me and I think illustrates how aggressive this front office is going to be just in terms of getting pitching. Maybe it's not a frontline starter, but they want someone who can provide length. And the other piece of that was Plentcia. Like when we were in Cincinnati right for the All Star break, you know, he was packing up to go to Arizona for the All Star Break with the idea that you know, maybe coming out of that he could start, you know, kind of throwing with more intent and starting that ramp up. And you know, Greig Council said, if we were looking at early August. Now we're looking at kind of the middle of August, assuming they make progress and there are no setbacks, which we've all seen how just unpredictable or unreliable these timelines can be. So like they legit need a late game reliever that you trust in high leverage situations. And I think kind of winning ninety plus games and kind of finishing out this race is different than the sprint in the postseason, Like you kind of have to build your team different ways. And that's why I like, yeah, whatever started they get, maybe you're not asking you're not going to ask them to throw seven innings in a playoff game, but to get there and have just kind of the overall feel and tenor of your pitching staff to be in a much better place, like you're gonna probably have to get like one starter and one you know, dependable experienced reliever as kind of a bare minimum.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, I agree you. I think you need to get two relievers, one who's like no doubt going to help your bullpen and like level things up. It's gonna cost a lot, a lot in prospects. These aren't cheap editions, but I think you have to with Palencia kind of a question mark because you just don't know what the situation is going to be. You don't know when you're getting Ben Brown back, if you're getting I mean, the council seems to adamant that Ben Brown is coming back this season. Don't know when. Hunter Harvey's not really a part of the mix. He hasn't been all season. But like, these are the types of high end arms you'd want in a bullpend. They don't have those guys right now, and it's really a tenuous situation in that bullpen. They've done an admirable job. The numbers are aren't dreadful, but it's just one of those things where it feels like a ticking time bomb, like you don't have enough high end stuff in there right now. There's just not like they're doing an admirable job. You need to get more guys healthy, but the moves are going to have to be made otherwise. I don't really know how you get through this. And the reality is you want it like this team is good offensively and elite defensively. You can add a couple more pitchers to the group, hope for fifty percent of the guys that are hurt to come back and you feel good about the chances of making a run like that's that's how you have to look at it. So we'll see what type of moves they make and what they do going forward.
Speaker 2: I think you still try to catch the Brewers. They had a very Brewers weekend, which the Cubs gonna be hard to close that gap. I think you also can't like assume you're gonna win that wilde if you have another ten game losing streak, if you have a bad stretch, you know, in August September. Like, there are enough teams, flawed teams, but uh, you know, clubs with some talent, some pieces that aren't gonna just go away. I have a hard time seeing like the Washington Nationals staying power. Who knows what the Padres are gonna do. They could with Aj Prewler, they could do some weird stuff to reshape their team. But like Diamondbacks, Pirates, Marlins, I mean, the Cardinals are still sort of are still hanging around. And obviously the you know, the Phillies. Maybe they catch the Braves like like who knows, but it's not like an automatic It's not like their tickets been punched. Yet they still as council says like have to keep stacking up wins.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, yeah, this team can't kind of let up. There's gonna be pitching added a lot of pitching at it in the next few weeks. And they're still, like I mean, they're cycling through the smaller moves, Aaron Sabali added over the weekend, they're they're looking for innings and outs however they can get them. And like we said that you want to make that big swing and get that starter that can actually save your bullpen as well. Well, they're gonna do make moves. They're gonna start coming at some point the bigger ones. We'll see what the Cubs can actually pull off. All right, Thanks so much for listening to everyone. This is Northside Territory. Make sure to rate, review, subscribe, subscribe to the YouTube channel, and subscribe to The Athletic where Patrick and Iron top of all things Cubs. Thanks for listening to every and watching everyone take care everything to do. W I know, do they want to live