Speaker 1: This episode is brought to you by Unstoppable. Discover the inspiring true story about Anthony Roebliss, who defined every expectation to become a national wrestling champion, and Unstoppable, a new original movie from Amazon MGM Studios and director William Goldenberg, evoking the excitement and camaraderie of classic sports dramas and thrilling wrestling matches. Unstoppable features an all star ensemble cast including Jirel Jerome, Jennifer Lopez, Don Cheatle, Michael Panya, and Bobby Canavali. Watch Unstoppable now exclusively on Amazon Prime Video.
Speaker 2: Welcome in episode one nine two. What's right with Nick Wright? Starting promptly and on time. Great job by our tech staff today making sure we didn't have to deal with some of those tech things we dealt with on Tuesday. Apologies again for that fact wrong time. I forgot to tweet out the link. Now I've done it, thanks to Jake and Victor and Daniel and everyone making sure that happened. Ton to do today. I was at MSG last night. I went there to watch Wimby. Instead I just watched how terrible the Spurs are. We'll discuss that in a moment, we have our gambling show. One of the two of us is coming off not only a winning week, but what really could have been, should have been, would have been a five and oh week. The other one is on the third longest teaser losing streak in recorded sports media history. I'll let you guys guess who's who, but we will discuss later in the show. All right, here's what missed the Cup. For today's show, Kyler Murray set to return with a question about that. Carson Wentz signs with the Rams and the Nets fans boo Harden at Barclays Demansey, I actually want to talk about Kyler coming back for the Cardinals for just a moment, because what what do you what are you all gotting?
Speaker 3: I'm getting it. By the way, are you gonna say something about the call of duty that's coming out Friday?
Speaker 2: Oh No, I didn't even know there's a call of duty coming out of Friday.
Speaker 3: Friday.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Oh my goodness, what a bad beat for Kyler comes out right when he's got to go back to work. No, I didn't know. I did not know that, But that's hilarious. Here's what I was going to say, So Jonathan Gannon. If he can, he's the coach of the Cardinals, rookie head coach. If he can thread the following needle, then I think maybe he should get Coach of the Year consideration. And then what they are and this is what I mean, Jonathan Gannon. The Cardinals obviously had a plan going into this year be terrible draft Caleb Williams and that's the plan. And also, by the way, have the Texans draft pick and the Texans are better than we expected, to draft another guy and then hopefully get another good draft pick for Kyler Murray. Now, because he's a new coach, I don't think he wanted to come in and immediately have it be like this team has no hope, they got no chance. So they beat the Cowboys in Week three, throw everyone off the tanking scent, and now all of a sudden, we wake up in week ten and they're like, wait, they haven't won since then. So now what the Cardinals need to do is bring Kyler back, have him play well enough that he is worth a first round pick to someone while maintaining the number one pick. So they need to have their quarterback play pretty well and look healthy, not win any games, and If they do that, they are set up beautifully for the future, and all believe that, all believe in Jonathan Gannon despite his odd who took the Boss press conference. I'm very interested, and I'm interested if Kyler comes back, looks great or looks good even and they end up with the third pick, and then it's like, do you pivot entirely and instead of going quarterback, stick with Kyler, draft Marvin Harrison Junior and go from there. It's a very fascinating situation in Arizona. So a quick little take there on what missed the cut. Now let's get into the show.
Speaker 3: Demansey, all right, so you were really low on Wimby at one point, and it seemed like this season, okay.
Speaker 2: I not hauled on, so you can't start the show off with lies. I thought that Folks putting his floor at a chem Olajuan was maybe gonna be a little too much pressure on the nineteen year old French kid. I was never low on Wimby. I just wasn't as astronomically high as others. Now go ahead.
Speaker 3: One might argue that's kind of low, but uh.
Speaker 2: Well so in reference in comparison to others, Shore Go ahead.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so you went to the game last night and he did really poorly. Did seeing him in person and put up that performance give you a different type of perspective on him or are you still at the same.
Speaker 2: Well, listen, he he had a by a rookie standards, a legendary performance one week ago.
Speaker 3: Today.
Speaker 2: The game he had against Phoenix out playing KD going thirty eight and ten, being a monster defensively made I think all of us stop and be like, oh my god, like, what is this guy not going to be eventually? What is he right now? Because and Wilds made this point. They played Durant in back to back games, and you kind of saw in the first game he was a little shaky in the first half and then by the second half had figured some things out. And then when they played him again a couple days later, all of a sudden, he's the best player on the court. And it's like is he learning in real time? Like artificial intelligence and like you know all the you know, like, oh, okay, so this is how you play Kevin Durant when I get him again, and people were really I mean, Tom Haberstrow, where I have a lot of respect for, was talking about how there was great value on him to be the NBA's MVP this year at like forty five to one, So we all did get maybe a little ahead of ourselves. We did a game on the show where I put up jail would you rather have not for the future, but for this season, and the names I wimby or and we did. Jalen Brown, we did Kevin Durant was one of them. The we didn't do Tatum. I tried to do guys that I thought I'm trying to think of. We didn't do Lebron, we did Kawhi uh and it is but it was like that caliber of player we did, I'm trying to think of everyone that with Jimmy Butler, you know what I mean, we did like guys in that seven to twenty five range in the league. And I mean Brew took him over KD. After that game, It's like, how could you not? Okay? So he since then, he and the Spurs have not been good at all. They haven't won. Last night, he came out firing, he didn't hit his early shots, and then he seemed to lose a bit of confidence. But all so, here are my big takeaways from watching him on every single possession, he goes seven eight possession stretches without touching the ball. The Bill Simmons made this point prior to yesterday, and he's one thousand percent right. The Spurs desperately need a point guard. They have Jeremy Sohan, who's a small forward running point for them. No one knows how to get wimby the basketball, and that's a little frustrating. The other thing that is true is this he he does right now despite his size, He just has no inside offensive game whatsoever other than rim runs and putbacks, Like you can't give him the ball and just have him go to work, and we know he can't lean on people. But what I found so interesting watching him, at least yesterday, is maybe because he missed those first or few shots, he was when he did get the ball on the perimeter, he seemed to be trying to go by people when it felt like the whole idea of why he's going to be so transcendent is he can just shoot over everyone. And he either was hesitant to last night or it just didn't have it. And I don't want to overreact one night, but what it definitely did do was took him out of the game a bit. Defensively, he didn't make an impact defensively that one could see in that game, and offensively he was a negative. Now you remind yourself he's nineteen years old and that was his eighth career NBA game. But for people that were arguing, should the Spurs have been a little more aggressive this offseason, I didn't think they should because you don't want to try to microwave this. But for his development, them having an actual adult point guard I think could be incredibly useful, like a guy like a Mike Conley, or it doesn't have to be a great player, just someone that can come in and orchestrate things, because I mean, Doug McDermott's out there running and gunning, so hand is trying to play out a position. I mean, the Spurs are a bad, bad team. So it was fascinating to watch the most stunning moment of the night, honestly, because when you're watching the game, because of like guys at different depths and perspective or whatever. You can tell who the tallest guy is, but it's you don't really have the exact right perspective on it. The most stunning moment was the national Anthem. I know it sounds ridiculous, but it's because all the guys are lined up next to each other and Wimby looked make believe, he looked like how one of the like NBA guys look when they go to like see people at a school and they take a picture with the administration. It's like, oh, there's Kevin Durant and then there's regular people. But he was standing next to well, yeah, I mean it's it's really that part was remarkable. He had a really rough game. But listen, I picked Scoot Henderson for Rookie of the Year and we haven't talked much about him. And the reason we haven't talked much about him is because he hasn't got it going. Scoot so far this year is I'll give you his numbers exactly. He's only played five games because he got hurt. He's given you eight points, four and a half assists on thirty five percent from the field and nine percent from three. So it's listen, tough life for ye long season, tough early on for rookies. There have been some rookies. Derek Lively for the MAVs has been really good. There have been some the obviously the thunder of two excellent rookies. Caseon Wallace and then Chet, who's like a rookiecause he didn't play last year but was let the previous year's draft class. Chet's been excellent. Now Chet is a guy I was very down on who thus far has been excellent. And so we'll see all right next.
Speaker 3: All right, So it seems like the longer lebron On stays in the league, the more disrespect he gains. He's getting disrespect from players, panelists. The refs of Dylan Brooks held him to eighteen points last night, locked him up. Like you said, if he's still playing at a high level, why is the disrespect only growing from fans?
Speaker 2: So think all right, so let's talk about the refs thing for a moment. This is not even a controversial opinion. This is backed up by the data. One of the I forget which site it was, but actually just compiled the in the last eight years. You know, the NBA does those last two minute reports. What player has been disadvantage, what player has had more calls be wrong calls by the NBA's own reports, No players had more calls go against them than Lebron James at the end of these games, and even when you do well, how many did he.
Speaker 3: Have go for him?
Speaker 2: He is more in the negative than any player in the league. I think Embiid set Embids the opposite. Embiids had more things go his way that the refs then say, hey, he got the wrong whistle in his favor. There is a level of and last year the data back this up as well of if you take all the play and people are like, well, it's because Lebron's shooting so many more threes. If you take all the players, the league leaders, and either points at the rim, points in the paint, or shots in the paint, Lebron last year and the year before and this year it's very early, was the lowest and free throw rate, so you're talking about attacking guys, guys going to the basket. He just hasn't been getting calls, and there is an element of that he has lost. I think some of the luster of this is the down best player in the game. He needs a beneficial whistle, like every best player. Jordan got it, Kobe got it, Yeah, anyone in the discussion for all time legend at their apex, Giannis can get it to an agree he doesn't get that anymore because he's older, but he's still so physically imposing that guys slap him on the arm when he's going up for a layup and it doesn't seem like it affects him the way it would affect other guys. So that is frustrating, and I think it's incredibly frustrating for Lebron and the Lakers are right that it's not just like Laker fans being like, oh, the refs are against us. By the data, he has had a very tough whistle for his entire Lakers tenure. That's first thing as far as player's going at him, it's the only player that's really going on this years Dylan Brooks, and guy's a clown. This is clown. Dylan Brooks has lost the right to be taken seriously. He lost it in the series against What what are you wincing about? Tell me, tell me why.
Speaker 3: Dylan Brooks isn't having a bad year.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, He's actually having an excellent year. But when you Dylan Brooks, when you say the things he said in the playoff series against the Lakers and then run from the media and then cry saying I don't know why everyone is calling me a villain. The media has done this, and then introduce yourself repeatedly, is Dylan the villain? And or the last time you played Lebron you got kicked out of the game for punching him in the balls, and then this time you're like, I'm gonna lock him up. You're a clown. You're a clown, and you don't deserve to be discussed. Like, the only reason we talk about Dylan Brooks more than one hundred and fifty other guys in the league is because he just talks like he's a star. He's just the obvious manifestation of the evolution or I should say evolution of Patrick Beverley. Exactly right, It's a clown. Now we the media stuff. I don't know, like everyone was. It seemed like on a lot of shows the would Lebron have been the same guy with or without Miami? Did he need Miami? Everyone was a lot more interested in that discussion than I was. Like, what I do think is it is possible that without Miami, Lebron's career would not have gone this long. I think that if those four years in the apex prime of his career he didn't have. He didn't go to Miami learn what he learned from that organization, be around Spolstra and maybe most importantly, for the only four year stretch of his entire career, could was he on a team that if he went to the bench, they could survive and he didn't have to play these crazy minutes things like that. I don't know if he'd still be at this level in year twenty one. He was already one of the greatest players ever before he went to Miami. Before he into Miami, he was a two time League MVP, four time All NBA First Team, two times second Team, and had taken a team to the finals at age twenty two and had had a playoff run where he averaged thirty five points a game. Now, he wasn't a champion yet, and if people believe well, he wouldn't have won any championships if he hadn't gone to Miami. I think that's crazy. Would he have had the same number?
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 2: He won two in those four years, but everything about his career changes after that. Does he go somewhere else? Does he stay in Cleveland? If he stays in Cleveland, they never get Kyrie Irving. They don't get you know, Kevin Love. It's the whole thing's different. So I don't know. What I do know is there are certain guys across sports history, particularly in the NBA, that we're going to be all time great legends no matter what. Lebron obviously is on that shortest of short lists. Now, like let me be, people could say, what would Kareem's career have been if he didn't go to the Lakers. Well, it's an interesting question because Kareem had already won won one championship and won one finals MVP, and won multiple MVPs with the Bucks. But he then won what four more MVPs, five more championships, and went to nine more finals with the Lakers. So I don't know what you know the career would have been. I do know that Lebron's career could not have possibly worked out better. In my opinion, he's the greatest athlete ever and so every decision along the way, I don't think you could have been like this decision it would have worked out better for him. I don't think. I don't think there could be a better outcome than the story of you get drafted to your hometown team. You're within a year in the discussion for the best player in the league. Take him to the final, lose to a legend in Tim Duncan. The Boston Celtics, a legendary organization, creates the first modern super team because of you, because you're there and they need to get past you. You then can't get past that super team that was created to defeat you. You go to Miami, a team that has a guy, a friend of yours in your draft class, who had already teamed up with a legend in Shaquille O'Neil to win a championship. You guys, immediately make the finals and you have the one and only true failure of your career. It humbles you to a degree, it makes you a better basketball player, and then from that moment on you reel off the greatest decade of basketball anyone's ever played. In the next ten years, you can squint, you can argue, But in the next nine years, I should say, you make the NBA Finals eight times games. You have the longest winning streak in the history of the league. You or in the second longest wing streak pardon me, in the history of the league. You are involved in one of the greatest game sixes in game sevens of the finals ever. You then go back home, you have the greatest comeback in Finals history. Sandwiched around the greatest comeback in Finals history, you have the greatest series in a losing effort in Finals history, the thirty six, thirteen and nine with your teammates injured, and then on the back end of it, the single greatest game in Finals history, the fifty one to eight to eight in Game one against Durant and those guys, the greatest individual playoff run in NBA history, the twenty eighteen playoffs where he had eight to forty point games. You then go to the greatest organization in the history of the league that, for the first time in its seventy year career or you know, seventy year existence, is in a downswing, hasn't made the playoffs in six years, and within a year you win a title for him, And then in that uniform, you become the NBA's all time leading scorer, breaking the record of a legend from that organization. And now in you're twenty one, you're still the best player on your team and one of the best players in the league. There is no, it's not like, well, but if he'd have gone to Chicago, Wuddy would have not that, not that, and so uh I think it worked out pretty well. All right.
Speaker 3: Next, I guess I just listen.
Speaker 2: It's just an accurate telling of this tale. It's just, you know, I I am if nothing else, I am, you know, an arbiter of truth and fairness, and uh it's important to be you know, have somebody out there that is going to tell the true story. And what's a better story than a guy being immediately great, can't get over the hump, tasting real failure, reaching the absolute pinnacle, going back home over what was considered an insurmountable deficit, and then saying new challenge, going to the greatest organization ever that was in total shambles and instantly delivering them a championship, and now being literally the oldest player in the league and still one of the best players in the league. Never seen anything like it.
Speaker 3: Next, all right, So the forty nine Ers and Jags are gonna face off. Both teams are coming off of bye. The Jaguars are obviously on the five game winning streak and the forty nine Ers are on the three game losing streak. So is this the ultimate setup for a Nick was right situation with Perty facing off versus Trevor Lawrence.
Speaker 2: It feels like it, doesn't it. I mean, if after this weekend and it's the biggest game of the weekend, this weekend slate is not great at all. Last weekend had an amazing slate. This weekend slate is not a group of great games. It's the it's the marquee game. And if the Jags get to seven and two while the Niners fall to five and four, and it's because Trevor cooks and Purty struggles and all of a sudden within a month the same you know what's gonna be glorious if and when this happens. By the way, it's a tough game. Niners still an excellent team. They're coming off the by they should be healthier. You know, this is a big test for the Jags. No team in the league this year has had a winning streak longer than six games. They're trying to get it to six like they're yeah, they're trying to what are they? Yeah, they're trying to get it to six games. That would be right. So listen, this is by no means is this like, oh a layup win. The Niners are still a really good team, but nothing will be more satisfying for me then if the Jags win. Watching the same my same colleagues, some of which I host a show with, many of which you know what I mean, or on other networks that I like and respect, having on Monday morning a month after they were talking on their shows or on our show, is brock Perty the NFL's MVP. The topic will be is Trevor Lawrence the NFL's MVP, And the follow up question is could brock Perty be benched? I'm letting you know right now we are one Jags win away from that being a conversation. Now. I also want to make this clear, I do not think Trevor's the NFL MVP. I do think if they win this game and get to seven and two in a year, there is no standout runaway MVP favorite. It will be a discussion. And I am not saying you should bench brock Party for Sam Darnold, but I am saying if you're the Niners and you've lost four in a row.
Speaker 3: EP by the way, but who is Sorry Lamar Jackson, but I get it like they do the whole mate.
Speaker 2: I mean Lamar right now, right now, I think Lamar. If the voting were today, I think Lamar would win it. It would also be an the reason for a quarterback who has nine passing touchdowns through nine games, you can say, oh, well running two okay, so fourteen total touchdowns because he is five rushing through nine games. That would be a below average MVP season. Does that make sense? Like if you look at guys who've won MVPs over the last few years, there's not one. There's not an Aaron Rodgers with thirty eight touchdowns, six picks, Mahomes leading the league in points and yards and touchdowns. There isn't one, no doubt candidate, you could make a great Lar. I'm not arguing against it. I actually we talked on the show because there's no standout candidate. Could Joe Burrow get back in the conversation even though he was terrible for five weeks because he was hurt. The answer is probably yes. Like everyone talked about how bad the Chiefs offense has been, Mahomes right now is the favorite to win the award because there's no standout. So that that's why Trevor despite his numbers. I think he has eight touchdowns passing touchdowns this year, maybe nine, Like his passing numbers have not been super gaudy, and he obviously doesn't run as well as Lamar. I do think with the Ravens, the biggest story of the Ravens season so far is and we're I guess we'll get to it in a second, but is their defense more than Lamar as good as Lamar has been. Point I'm making is if the Jags win, first of all, Trumpeters live and in person on first things first, Second of all, uh is Trevor Lawrence the NFL MVP will be a talking point, and should the Niners give Sam Donald a look will be a talking point. By the way, I won't argue for either. I don't think Trevor's the MVP even if they win, not yet, And I don't think that the Niners should go to Donald even if Party plays terribly, But that will be a talking point from the very same people that are trying to convince me brock Perty was the NFL's MVP. Let me ask you one other question before we move on. If Party fully falters and also given what pre and you know sad he got hurt, but what Daniel Jones was looking like before he got hurt. If both of those things happen next football season, if we're fortunate enough to still be doing this, will you take my quarterback? I need to see more. I don't don't quite trust them opinions a little more seriously, or will you still just think I'm an unrepentant hater. I'm asking you specifically storing both of these.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it'd be that'd be very fair. I feel like I wouldn't call it stupid, but it'd be kind of ignorant to ignore that. But uh but yeah, no, I definitely I might kind of where I need more test samples. But but yeah, there you go. I like it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right, go ahead.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So does does it offend you or all? Or like a little hurt that Trevor Lawrence has no idea that like you call him the prince that was promised like he kind of like shows me.
Speaker 2: I didn't like that. I got listen. I'll be honest, I I didn't like any part of it. I listen now. Sam Pepper used to produce He used to produce My TV show. He now works for Omaha productions, and I think he don't know, but I think he probably had a hand in that question being asked. Was trying to do me a solid every single part if people didn't see it. Peyton asks Trevor Lawrence a question and he says Nick right from Fox. And by the way, the way he said it, it was not like the next words out of his mouth were gonna be like, Oh, I love that guy. It was more like who is this? Like that was from like it was very clear Peyton.
Speaker 3: Peyton also said when Trevor said that he had no idea about it, or does he go by that? And Trevor said no, and Peyton was like, good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so he was. He asked him if so, Peyton says, Nick Wright from Fox Sports, you know, has called you the prince that was promised. It's also your nickname on Pro Football Reference? Has this name called on in the locker room? And Trevor said, knowing that he'd never heard it, and Peyton said good, and then they left. And I will admit, at first demonse that was sad and disappointing, and then I realized he's just a humble prince, which we need more of. He didn't you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: He did.
Speaker 2: He was humble and didn't want to draw more attention to himself, so I understood.
Speaker 3: All right, next, All right, then, Currently the entire AFC North holds a playoff spot, with the Ravings leading the way. Obviously a predicted team that fits for each of these categories by the seasons in division winner strong five seed, fighting for the seven seed, or misses playoffs completely.
Speaker 2: All right, the the smart the logical order would be this, The Ravens hold on to win the division, the Bengals are a terrifying five seed, the Browns get the fight for the seven, and the Steelers miss the playoffs completely. That's the logical smart if you've been watching them up to this point order of how it's going to go, I do not think it's going to go that way. I think that something funky is gonna happen with either Baltimore or Sinsey. I don't know which, but I just I feel like right now people are getting a little ahead of themselves that we know.
Speaker 3: Like speak it into existence. I think something's funky gonna happen.
Speaker 2: Come on, dude, well, I just I've been doing this too long to not have my antenna go up when everyone in the media this prematurely has the same opinion, and everyone in the media has.
Speaker 3: Essentially prematurely I means just prematurely to the posts.
Speaker 2: And yet well, it's just a ton of football left, a ton of football left. We played half of the season remains half like as much has been played, that much is left. And there is when everyone is in agreement seemingly that the AFC North is gonna come down to Baltimore in sensey, and when it's it's one thing if these two like if you were to be like, well, the nfcast is gonna come down to Philly in Dallas, it's like, well, the Giants are you know, almost mathematically eliminated already, and Washington's trading away its players. Got it. But when the Steelers have underperformed as much as they have on offense and are still five and three, it makes you pause. When the Browns are getting d level play from the quarterback position and are still right there, you pause. And when you recognize that the Ravens have been six and three or better every year. Lamar has been a starter and it has gone sideways on them multiple times. Now, people are like, well, that's because of injury. Agreed, but I think that is just one of the concerns. But the other reason that I'm just pumping the brakes on it a bit is this, here is the Ravens, and I'll then do the Bengals remaining schedule. And by the way, the same can be said about the Browns and the Steelers to a degree. But here's my question for you, Demanse, because I'm gonna read it off to you.
Speaker 3: I see him, so I'm.
Speaker 2: Gonna read it off and my only question is how many easy spots do they have? So they are home for the Browns, home for the Bengals, at the Chargers, home for the Rams, at the Jags, at the Niners, home for the Dolphins, home for the Steelers. How many easy spots do you count there? Because I know how many, I can.
Speaker 3: Say, like kind of one and a half. I think will take care of that, But Chargers, I'm not like, I feel like we'll take care of that. But same time, it can be a little frisky.
Speaker 2: Exactly that is that is the exact math I did. The Rams are the one game where you're like, the Rams are cooked. They cannot block Baltimore. They cannot And then the Chargers. You want that to be an easy game. But that was at the Chargers, right, And so it's like Baltimore going all the way to the West coast, weird spot the Chargers. You just never know what you're gonna get to them on a week to week basis.
Speaker 3: We don't know who the Dolphins are yet, and I mean, and we're a good team. So it's like when the Dolphins.
Speaker 2: Oh that's fair and that's correct, and that's in Baltimore, right, So in Baltimore in January or yeah, into December or January. But you follow me that. It's not a there are no like, oh, okay, lock up three wins, all right, now, we're gonna do Cincinnati do the same thing. Tell me the easy games home for the Texans, at the Ravens, home for the Steelers, at the Jaguars, home for the Colts, home for the Vikings, at the Steelers, at the Chiefs, home for the Browns. So how many easy games do you count?
Speaker 3: There? About two and a half maybe with so actually with the Tech, I mean, Texans be in the half. Vikings and Colts I've seen them easily get.
Speaker 2: But Vikings and Colts are the easy are the two games. I counted the Texans spot and we'll get to it when we do our picks in a minute. You don't know. And when you when you're the Bengals and you had basically four consecutive season on the line games one in three and you're in Arizona, You're season's on the line, even though it's early because you're playing the Cardinals. You're one and three. You get that win? Yeah, then two and three, okay, home for the Seahawks, get that win, and then I guess season one on the line anymore. But massive spots at the Niners home for the Bills, and next week the division is on the line because you've already lost to Baltimore at the Ravens. The Texans are like the vintage trap game spot and Jamar Chase is banged up and all of a sudden, T Higgins mispracticed. So I don't consider the Texans right now an easy spot at all. Texans meanwhile flying so high off there insane win. So moral of the story is, I think, to use a you know, a term from political parlance, I think it's too early to call the AFSCO. I just think, yeah, and and here is the other thing that and I know you don't You're gonna say I shouldn't speak this into existence, and I'm not trying to. But the other thing that would concern me if I were any of these four AFC North teams is having games this man, if well, the Bengals in particular, having Raven Steelers, Steelers Brows four games remaining against divisional rivals, all of which that have awesome defenses and want to hit the you would really give me anxiety about what is even if my team can get rolling, what shape are we going to be in physically by the time the playoffs start? And for if you're the Bengals, your final three games of the year being at Pittsburgh at Kansas City home for the Browns, three of the best defenses in the league in cold weather, it's a tough spot, man well, and so take.
Speaker 3: Care of the next three games. I feel like if they if they can come out of the next three games two and one, maybe I'd say we're in pretty good shape. And honestly, I think my fear to bench lamar towards the end of the year.
Speaker 2: Well, probably not if you're trying to get the one seed, but maybe the you know I have. I've always thought actually the best thing that for a team, that a team could have going for him if they can't get the one seed is to actually be eliminated from contention for it. So in week eighteen, what you don't want in week eighteen. Let's say you're the Ravens and you're in this scenario in week eighteen, if we win and Kansas City loses to the Chargers, we get the one seed. You don't want to be in that, se Anario. I it's I understand you're like, oh, well, it could happen, But then you go all out play all your guys. The Chiefs win anyway, you're in the two. You'd almost now what you'd rather is it flatly be if we win, we're the one seed. We don't need anything else. We win, we're the one seed, or have it locked obviously, But the next best thing is this, we can't be the one seed. The Chiefs have it locked. We're not getting the buye. And then you give yourself your own buy in week eighteen and rest your guys like, who cares if we fall to the three? We just don't you know what I mean? We want to give ourselves a bye week. And what you don't want is to think you're playing for something, go all out and then you know then not get it and have.
Speaker 3: To play the very next week.
Speaker 2: But the AFC North point of the story is the AFC North is gonna be. I mean, it's the most interesting and tightly contested division and I don't know what's gonna happen there. All right, quick break to our gambling show next. What's right now? Hey, guys, welcome back in. We'll drive in the great episode one ninety two. And the holidays are upon us, and I know everyone will start thinking of what gifts to buy their significant others. I know I have, and I'm excited to share a great holiday gift idea with you. Light Box light Box Lab grown diamonds are grown from one hundred percent renewable wind energy at the light Box Lab in Portland, Oregon. Not only that, but there's simply priced light Boxes Lab grown diamond jewelry ranges from classic studs to more of the moment tennis bracelets, drop earrings, and so much more. I know my wife would like any one of these. Light Box Lab grown diamonds are perfect for family, friends, or even yourself. Make it easy for yourself and get everyone something special with a discount we have for you. Shop now at lightboxjewelry dot com and use promo code nick Wright for ten percent off sitwide. That is Lightboxjewelry dot com promo code nick Right for ten percent off site wide. All right, welcome back in What's Right with Nick Wright Week ten Gambling Show. I told you last week, Demons, I felt good about the picks. We not only had a winning week, but zero bad picks. Let me, well, you know the the I mean, I understand what you're saying, but yeah, I mean the royal We Kansas City minus a point and a half against Miami. They're of twenty one to nothing at a halftime, or covering the entire game. Tampa Bay plus three at Houston. I thought that was going to be a disgusting push. Did you see, Demonse? What so Houston is winning? Baker leads an amazing drive down the field, throws a strike. Tampa is now all of a sudden up four with forty five seconds left. CJ. Stroud then drives Houston down. They score, But Houston in that game, their kicker had gotten hurt, so they were going for two. They had the backup running back kicking field goals. All thing well, right, he had a field goal, but up to with six seconds left. Demigo ryans, this is not just because he got me the cover. Did's this right thing, which was he was nervous to kick an extra point because he is a backup kicker, and he didn't want to go for two because if you you're up to, if you turn it over, the other team can return it for two points and it's a tie game. So he did something that has rarely been done in NFL history, but is smart, even smarter than kicking the extra point there because it could be blocked and returned. He took a knee on the extra point, so which you never see but was the sharp play and made my Tampa plus three cover now Atlanta minus four and a half against Minnesota. DeMont, Yeah, I think he's been excellent. Demond's eight. You know, tried to talk me out of He's like, you keep fading these quarterbacks just based on the fact their quarterbacks you keep losing. Here's the deal. The quarterback I was fading, Jaren Hall immediately got injured, and then Josh Dobbs comes in and Cooks. I wouldn't have laid four and a half points with Taylor Heineke against Josh Dobbs. Josh Dobbs is legit. Aila was laying four and a half points with Taylor Heineke against Jaren Hall. Jaren Hall got injured. Not fair, but whatever. Dallas plus three against Philly. If Dak doesn't step out, you know we're covering. They still have a chance to win outright. I don't feel badly about that pick. I feel like taking the points to the right side there. And the Chargers minds three and a half against the Jets. They annihilated him, so that's three and two. So that means despite the fact that on TV it's been shaky, and despite the fact that we have not you know, had the monster weak yet Demanse, we're just twenty one and twenty four, which means we are minus five point four units on the year, So one perfect week away from being above five hundred and the picks and being right at even almost in the actual dollars. And this is the exact situation we found ourselves in last year before we got red hot to finish the year. I do believe last year, after nine weeks we were twenty one and twenty four. Now we've gotten here this year on a somewhat circuitous path. Last year I think we had some own five, some five and oh's. This year it has simply literally been, I believe two and three or three and two every single week. If we go four and one, we're at five hundred. If we go five and oh, we're above five hundred. Let's get going. What's my first pick of the week.
Speaker 3: First pick is Jacksonville plus three versus San Francisco.
Speaker 2: All right, so they're both coming off of bye, so that's a wash. San Francisco traveling cross country for a one o'clock start, tough spot. Brock Purdy has not been a good road quarterback this year. Doug Peterson seven and one last eight games against the spread as an underdog, Trevor Lawrence whenever he has extended rest, three and oh, straight up and against the spread. And I simply think that this Niners defense right now is a touch overrated now and I think that there are right right now real cracks in the armor for that Niners offense. Now, obviously this is a game where the injury report is going to matter a ton if you check the forty nine ers injury report, and this is where doing the picks Thursday morning is tough. But Trent Williams is still not practicing, so that is highly concerning for San Francisco. Now, fortunately for them, uh Deebo Samuel was a full participant, so he will be back. The Jags injury report is pretty damn clean. I think the Jags win the game outright. I certainly like them plus three. The Jags defense has been underrated and that Niners offense has not been humming the Jags running game. People are gonna talk more about Travis etsy In after this game. I like the Jacksonville Jaguars coming off of bye at home getting the full three points against San Francisco. Your thoughts, demons.
Speaker 3: I like that one. I honestly do not believe in I don't. I'm not. I don't want to say I don't believe in Brock Party.
Speaker 2: But wow, wow you've come around. Wow all right?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean yeah, three three three game. I'm losing streak coming off of by I mean, but next you've got Cleveland plus six at Baltimore.
Speaker 2: Okay, so this is not me picking the Browns to win out right. This is me saying the Brown this is statistically the two best defenses in football, and it's a divisional matchup and I'm getting six points. Now, I know the Ravens Demonse have blown out the Lions and the Seahawks. So here is an importance, man. Yeah, so here is an important note on this. Lamar is now I think eighteen and one in his career against the NFC, which tells you a few things. Most notably is if you don't face Lamar often or you almost never face him as these NFC teams, you can't. You can't deal with him if you see him twice a year. I'm not saying he's easy to deal with, but you at least have some familiarity. You can draw upon game plans that you previously had. Now, Baltimore played Cleveland earlier this year and annihilated him twenty seven to three. But if you remember, that was the game that Deshaun Watson mourning of was like I can't play sorry, guys, Dorian Thompson, Robinson, good luck buddy. So I'm not throwing that one out, but I am putting a little mini asterisk just on how much of a blowout it was I'm getting six points. Lamar over the last three years is four and fourteen against the spread when he's favored by more than three, and he's three and eight at home against the AFC North against the spread in his career. And so Cleveland getting a full six points in a game that feel very twenty to seventeen ish to me, I'll take Cleveland plus the six go ahead.
Speaker 3: I don't like it. I'm never I'm never gonna do this again, betting straight up line teaser. I'm not betting against the Ravens. I just think that on any given Sunday they are liable to blow a team the hell out of the water, and I just am not going that's fair.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, no, I understand. I just it's a divisional game, tough opponent. Six points is too much.
Speaker 3: Next, all right, you got Houston plus seven at Cincinnati?
Speaker 2: All right, I'm getting a full seven. Jamar Chase did not practice yesterday and T Higgins all of a sudden popped up on the injury report, limited the While the Bengals right now they need every game. They really must have next week's game against Baltimore, So why does that matter? I think they will be extra cautious demanse, certainly with Chase and maybe also with Higgins. Higgins it's a soft tissue thing. So if they are worried, if we push him to go this week and he can't play against Baltimore, they could be cooked for the division. Jamar Chase hurt his back, I don't expect him to play. He had the massive win against San Francisco, huge win against Buffalo. Next week you have Baltimore. So this is a spot that I think Cincinnati could trip up. It certainly is a spot that they are not going for style points. They are not gonna if they get a lead, they will just try to hold on to it for dear life, get everyone healthy and get to next week. So I'm getting a full seven points with a quarterback that I like a lot. They've shown you in Houston. The back door cover is alive. At they canna be down thirteen points, They're gonna be, you know, throwing it to try to just keep in rhythm, and I think Houston could win outright. I definitely think they can at least keep this relatively close. They're healthier, they are you know, this is a massive spot for them where to kind of announce themselves as a real playoff can.
Speaker 3: Contention, Who's Who's this a bigger game for it? It's got to be Cincinnati, right, Well would be.
Speaker 2: Here's the thing, yes and no, yes, and that Cincinnati is, you know, trying to be a super Bowl contender, so all their games are bigger.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 2: In this regard, for Houston, you could argue this is one of their biggest games of the year, and for Cincinnati it's their least big game of the last month or the games moving forward because they have Baltimore they had, but you know what I mean, And so in that regard, this game just means more for Houston. And I'm getting seven points, and so I'm going with Houston go ahead.
Speaker 3: This one directly contradicts my teaser. I hate it when that happens, but sorry sticking it out. But yeah, I think it's a good to logical bet. So next, you've got Detroit minus three at the Chargers.
Speaker 2: All right, This was the one I struggled with the most. But Detroit coming off of Bye Detroit in a spot where I feel like, because they got rolled the way they did by Baltimore, people you know, kind of were like, oh Okay, that's not that's not a real, you know, contender team. But as we then saw Balton more Roles Seattle know, maybe Seattle's not a real contender team either. There are some things Baltimore can do that no one else can. The Chargers we're a little too happy with themselves with the win over the Jets in a game where once again their offense didn't look great. The Detroit is off a bye the Chargers played Monday. I always hate when the NFL does that to teams, like it's not only does the other team have an extra week, but the Chargers don't even have the full week. The Lions, aside from that Ravens game, have been a covering machine, and the Chargers are not a trustworthy team in my opinion. And so for all those reasons, do I think Detroit's going to win? And I listen, Do I love laying the full field goal on the road? I don't, But it's what the line is. I'll take all tepidly. Take Detroit minus three.
Speaker 3: Next, got Dallas minus sixteen and a half versus the Giants.
Speaker 2: Okay, I understand that in theory, laying sixteen and a half points is super square. I mean this sincerely doubt. If Dallas gets to twenty four, it is impossible they don't cover. If they get to twenty they might cover, and at seventeen they could cover. The New York Giants offense with Tommy DeVito playing quarterback with their offensive line injuries, I would and I might make this bet. I bet the Dallas defense outscores the Giants offense. I bet the Dallas defense has more defensive touchdowns than the Giants offense has offensive touchdowns. The Giants are right now, given the injuries, the worst team in the NFL, and Dallas is what they have shown us this year. Whether the Super Bowl contender or not, we can argue about is they annihilate teams, annihilate them. They beat the Giants forty to nothing already this year, and that was with the Giants having Daniel Jones at quarterback. They are now have Tommy DeVito at quarterback with Matt Barkley signed the team. I think that Dak owns THENOT. I think I know Dak owns the NFC East. The Giants right now are the worst team in the league. It's a big number, all lay the big number. This is a Cowboys blowout. This feels like thirty to three Dallas. I'll lay the sixteen and a half. Your thoughts, Demant, say.
Speaker 3: My thoughts is Dallas minus sixteen and a half. That's a huge number those are.
Speaker 2: It is a huge number. It is. I mean, there's no doubt about that.
Speaker 3: I think that little rant that you just went on might have been more disrespectful than any other rant that I've heard you go on. And there was the time.
Speaker 2: Listen, the Giants are. The Giants are with.
Speaker 3: It's seventeen points, but.
Speaker 2: I mean they can shut them out. All right. So here's my five picks for the week. We're taking three dogs, two favorites. One of them is a massive favorite. Jags plus three against the Niners. I think they went out right. Cleveland plus six at Baltimore. I think they keep it close. Houston plus seven at Cincinnati. Sneaky trap game spot for Cincinnati. Detroit laying three at the Chargers. Don't love it. Dallas minus sixteen and a half against the Giants. Love it. There are the five picks for the week. All right now, Demonse's teaser.
Speaker 3: So energy seemed to go down when you when you were all right?
Speaker 2: So, first of all, our producer.
Speaker 3: I got the Miami one right.
Speaker 2: The Miami one, you got right. It's in red, but it should be in green. Demonse's teaser was Miami plus eight and a half, which covered see we can put it on the screen. Guys, it's all right, Seattle plus twelve and a half, which I warned him against. I told him the Ravens screwed him before. He didn't care. It didn't cover, and in Cleveland minus a half point against Arizona that did cover. Demond's season record on the years one to eight. So the bright side is, uh, you can still finish above five hundred. The downside is to finish above five hundred, you have to go undefeated the rest of the way. So it's unlikely, but it's on the board. What are we doing this week?
Speaker 3: All right, it's time to make a comeback, guys. I've got some And just look at it as like, you know how when you learn a new language, like you're learning Spanish, they tell you to behave or act as if you were a baby and you're a sponge and just like trying to take it in solely. That's what we're doing on these teasers, guys. I've got new rules and principles that I'm gonna as the season goes on, and then hopefully, like like my dad said, if we have the graciousness to be doing this next year, we'll get better. But hey, this is not me being down myself. This is this is a winning teaser right here. This week, you got a three team seven and a half point teaser. Know you love those half points at plus one oh five. Yeah, we got Jacksonville. We're teasing them up to plus ten and a half. We got Minnesota, we're teasing them up to plus ten. We got Cincinnati, and we're just basically making them a pick them versus the Texans. Hey, man, go ahead, Yeah, the whole little Texans, the whole the no the Texans talk that you had. I don't want to say it got me down, but Texans plus fourteen and a half would be sweet versus the Bengals. But I'm very confident that the Bengals are gonna win that game. As far as Minnesota, I've got no worries that they'll go out there and be within ten points of the New Orleans Saints and then Jacksonville. Like I said, I just trust Trevor Lawrence A little bit more than I trust Brock Party. They're on the winning street. Brock parties on the losing street. They're both coming off a bye. What do you want to say? I feel like he got something to say about Cincinnati.
Speaker 2: The Vikings one worries me a bit. I stayed away from that game. I just wonder if there's a bit of an emotional let down there still playing a quarterback that just got in the building. Saints have been playing well, it's not terrible. You obviously know where I stand on not only teasing across the zero, but the Texans Bengals game in general. I don't love it. I'm not gonna lie to you there. If I were to construct a teaser for the weekend, I am, I am, I'm trying to This is not a great teaser weekend. I'm not gonna lie to you on that front either.
Speaker 3: All right, Wait, hold on, I'm hijacking the teaser boath. Hey take Cincinnati out play US one. We're doing Texans plus fourteen and a half.
Speaker 2: Wait you're wait, You're just keeping the same game and switching it.
Speaker 3: One thousand percent. What's the problem.
Speaker 2: Okay, I'm with you. You know what? Good for you? Pal, This is how you turn it around. I thought you were gonna be like putting the Cowboys to minus nine or something. No, duh, oh, that's not a bad one. By the way, Texas Cowboys down to minus nine, and I'm saying, but they always down to my sign is not a bad one.
Speaker 3: No hundred percent. No, As you were saying that they could. The whole rant that you went on made me think about putting the Cowboys. But I mean, no, I'm not going to carry away from the game entirely. I want to keep the Texans in there.
Speaker 2: I was thinking of it. Okay, all right, so we got Jacks plus ten and a half, Minnesota plus ten and a half, using plus fourteen and a half. This is how you turn it around. What's the offer this week, demons?
Speaker 3: The offer this week is called Nick was right? Uh prety under one and a half touchdowns under two hundred and thirty nine and a half yards and the over one and a half touchdowns over two hundred and forty one and a half yards odds are plus eleven hundred. You want that? So you don't want that because of the San Francisco defense, and we're not sure.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, no, I'm a little worried if the Jags are winning the game. It's always if you think the Jags can win the game out right, you're a little nervous of the underpassing yardage numbers for the opposing quarterback. Uh, here's the deal. I'm gonna decline that offer, but I am going to create a nice same game parlay for this exact game that i'll tweet out. All right, we've got We'll answer your chat questions quickly, take quick break, come back. What's right? All right, quickly, let's do the questions because I gotta get to work. Demons. What's the first one?
Speaker 3: First question is from Dusty demonte A. You're gonna play the new Call of Duty with me again? On the new one. We can get in by joining Zealand Lobbies right now, Dusty, I get paid this Friday tomorrow, so it won't be playing tonight, but it might be able to get on tomorrow after I got that.
Speaker 2: Okay, all right?
Speaker 3: Next next one, Jack Fisher asked, why do you think the Eagles don't use the push to the push toush for two point conversions? Seems like they could get it almost every time. That's disgusting.
Speaker 2: Oh so you're coming around on me on this with me on this.
Speaker 3: No, I've never said that the play looks good, but like if you can't be stopped doing it for two point.
Speaker 2: Conversions, I honestly think the Eagles smartly understand we've gotta be that with how we utilize this, we don't want it to get banned. And I thought there when they were doing it. They did it on first and ten when they were backed up on their own one, and I was like, oh, they always could do this, you know what I mean, Like, but it was a big spot in a big game, So I listen, I would not rule it out of the realm of possibilities that they do something like that in the playoffs. They're saving it for the playoffs and be like, stop it, what are you gonna do? I think that's on the board. I absolutely think it's on the board next All right, season, I don't I don't have to takes in the NBA and season tournament.
Speaker 3: Go ahead, actual, we still love you. Brian Reyes said, if CJ. Stroud continues to play at this high level for the rest of the season, do you think he has a chance at MVP.
Speaker 2: We'll see if the Texans make the playoffs. I mean, the guy's got what fourteen touchdowns one pick if they make the playoffs and his numbers are amazing, it's on the board, like this is a weird MVP year. I made a case yesterday on TV that Miles Garrett should be getting consideration. The Browns of the best evens in the league has been awesome every single week, Like, yeah, what are you gonna do? All right? There was the show the oh do you.
Speaker 3: Want to do?
Speaker 2: The last question? I didn't know if you had.
Speaker 3: I mean, you kind of brought me to the last question perfectly. The Texans are my underdog, my underdog playoffs.
Speaker 2: Playoff that would be so much fun. It would also mean a team with very high expectations in the AFC gets left out. That would be really fun, really interesting. All right, I'll see guys on TV today at three. See you guys for the pot on Tuesday, Round ten thirty. What's trick