Speaker 1: This is the Eds with Eddie Judge and Edwin Ato Yavi the Husband's know Best Too Tease Production.
Speaker 2: Welcome to episode eleven. We have Doctor Debrou with us today. Doctor Debrou is married to The Real Housewives Orange County cast member Heather Dubro. They've been married for twenty five years and have four kids, Max, Nick, Kat and Ace.
Speaker 1: How you doing, Doctor Debrou. I'm good. It's great to see you guys. Great to be with you.
Speaker 2: Hey, so, do you like doctor Debreu or can I call you Terry?
Speaker 1: I prefer you call me like sir, your honor, your majesty, your majesty. Hear Terry. I you know, I introduced myself to my patients is Terry Debrou and I let them pick. But I'd rather you guys call me Terry.
Speaker 2: So yeah, awesome, awesome. Well, I know that Edwin doesn't know a whole lot about you. We go way back to, you know, when you guys first came on the show, So we have history. So I'm gonna I'm gonna have Terry's.
Speaker 1: Long longevity in the game.
Speaker 3: I'm a big fan of how long you've been in the game and.
Speaker 1: How successful you've been. So it's awesome.
Speaker 3: Finally we spoke briefly I think in Vegas, but yeah, right to finally, you know, get to know, you know everything about Terry.
Speaker 1: So I'm excited about this podcast. I appreciate. Other thing lacking is of course the alcohol. But that's okay, that that gets us in trouble, Terry. It's tru early in the.
Speaker 3: Day, right, You're like, So, I had no idea you were married for twenty five years. I mean we're talking longevity in business, we're talking longevity and obviously the family life as well. And I knew you had children. I don't know you had four. That's a lot of children there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we've done. We've had seven wonderful years of marriage together. Unfortunately, we've been married for twenty five. My wife hates when I make that job. I know hat, so I can only make it when she's not around.
Speaker 2: Let let's go back, because this is about you, Terry. I want to know about I understand you were born and raised in LA. Tell us what it's like being raised in LA. Like, what's it like growing up there?
Speaker 1: Well, first of all, what part of La? Yeah, so for the first nine years, so my mom and dad divorced when I was like, you know, two. So my mom initially raised me as a single mom up until ten in La near CBS Television City, which I know, you guys know where that is. I'm Fairbax. Yeah, And I used to skateboard, I remember in the dvs all the time. So when I go back there, it's sort of like, well, and then she met this guy. We didn't like him, but she married him anyone, and she moved us. My brother and I you know, my older brother was the Leitzinger Quiet Riot Kevin debrou Right, Oh, we're going to talk about that, that's yeah, yeah, And she moved us into the valley with this guy who had three kids. So we moved into this really tiny house with five boys around the.
Speaker 2: Savings oh my god, geez.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and the stepfather. You know, I don't really want to get too much into it, but not the nicest guy in the world, you know, not physically but emotionally. Not very cool anyway. So I grew up essentially from ten to eighteen in Van Eyes, Okay, the San Fernando Valley And for those of you across the country who don't know what the San Fernando Valley is. You'll know it when I call it the valley, all right, Valley, it's that valley. It's that valley. So you know, I was a valley boy growing up. And then I went to Van Eys High School, and as soon as I graduated, the first thing I want to do is get out of the valley. And for those of you who live in the valley, I'm not putting down the valley just wasn't my cup of tea. Yeah, yeah, no.
Speaker 2: I have friends that were raised in Big Bear, and as much as I love Big Bear, they tell me, yeah, I couldn't wait to get out. There's nothing wrong with Big Bears, just they want other opportunities.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Did you always know you.
Speaker 2: Wanted to be a doctor or when did that happen?
Speaker 1: So you know, I had no idea. I was always a really good student. I you know, you sort of lean into what you're good at, and I was okay at sports, and before I was really good looking until I hit about twelve, and then I wasn't. I remember that. I remember being treated a certain special way because I was a very cute little kid, and I hit twelve thirteen wasn't cute anymore. So, but I remember being treated special because of the way I looked, and that was gone, and then I wanted to be treated special again. And the thing that made me stand out and be treated special was I was good at school, really good at school. And so if I, you know, you get straight a's, you get this certain feedback from it. And so that was my thing. That was what I did. I got straight a's. I only got one B in high school, you know. And it was a teacher who gave me a beat. He told me I was really obnoxious in high school. Big shock, Right, Yeah. I used to walk into the class and I go, okay, so here's the a What is everybody else going to get that kind of thing? Right? Like that kid? I was that kid? You know.
Speaker 3: So were you like a cool smart I assume you were a cool smart kid. Sometimes the smart kids aren't the coolest, but I get the feeling maybe you were both.
Speaker 1: No, I was not. I was obnoxious smart kid. I was really good at tennis. But apart from that, I mean I had some cool friends, but I was not a cool kid in high school.
Speaker 2: You know, did anybody ever bully you for the confidence you had?
Speaker 1: No? Not really? No, I mean I you know, I'm one of these kids, like a lot of us, we think were special. I thought I was special because of the way I I apparently was just a really good looking kid till about ten, right, and so I remember my mom taking me to a stored people would stop, g oh, my god, your son is so beautiful, like that thing. And so I always feel like I sort of was born on the right side of the bed somehow, you know. It just was like and then when that left, I thought, oh what am I going to do get that feeling back? And so it was that so I, you know, I was, I was. I'm a very I think you know, Eddie, I'm a really kind of a gentle, nice, sweet guy. I'm a really I'm a really sweet guy, as are you. For sure. I think we're both very sweet people. And as I've gotten older, I've gotten even a lot sweeter to everybody I meet. But I wasn't sweet in high school. I was sarcastic. I mean I had buddies. Yeah, I was a bit of a pain in the ass, and I thought it was really smart and anyway, so oh I was obnoxious, you know.
Speaker 2: So when did you realize that you wanted to go to medical school.
Speaker 1: So I didn't. I had you know, I was raised by a single mom and then my stepfather was a plumber. So there was like no conversations at home about ambition or what we're going to do is never discussed. It was just you just lived. And then it came like to eleventh grade and I thought, okay, so what am I going to do? And I said to my mom what should I do? She goes, why don't you be an optometrist. That's really easy and it's clean. And I go, oh, what what do they do? And I looked up and I go and she said, be a dentist. And so I thought, okay, be a dentist. And so I did a re volunteer thing at USC dental school when I was in high school. And then I sort of started to volunteer in a dentist's office in like four days, and I said, this is incredibly boring. And the dentist said to me interestingly enough, he goes, you know what you are? Men? And I go out. He was you're a surgeon. I go I am. He goes, oh, yeah, you are a surgeon all day long? And I said, really, because you should be a surgeon, and I said okay. So then I worked. I volunteered. I went to Yale right and I volunteered at Yale's hospital emergency room in college. And when I was there, the minute I walked into the emergency room, the minute I walked in the hospital, the smell. The residents were just like the coolest people. We called it relaxed brilliance. The residents in med school at Yale were just like, yeah, you know, they just look like they it was just they were just cool and they were doing the most important things. I thought, this is it. And so when I got there, I thought I want to be a doctor. And then so I applied to med school. I got into UCLA, and like day one at UCLA, they said you're a surgeon and I said, really, did go why Gil, because you're kind of obnoxious and you're confident and you're outspoken. And I said okay. And then I met this guy, my best friend to this day, Scott Former, who's an orthopedic surgeon, and we hunt. They called us the Dude Brothers at UCLA Med School because we're always walking around and go hey dude, hey dude, Hey dude. We called everybody dude, and we graduated to give a certificate called the Dude Brothers and that's funny. And then I was going to be a heart surgeon because that's the most intense thing you can do in medicine, heart surgery. And then my second year, my second year of med school, this incredibly handsome guy comes in. You know, they give you these sort of specialty lectures when you're in your first two years of med school and they say, Okay, this is what neurologies like, this is what general surgery is like, this is what intern and this guy walks and he goes, turn down the light. He was like this good looking he looked like a tall version of Mel Gibson with cowboy boots. And he starts showing the slides and he goes, ladies, gentlemen, I'm going to show you the last true renaissance field in medicine, and it's called plastic and reconstructive surgery. And he showed us these slides for an hour of like what plastic and reconstruct surgeons do, burns, congenital deformities, gunshot wounds, the face, cosmetic surgery, replants of fingers and digits like that, and it was like everybody. He turned up the lights over and just went whoa. And then so I follow him down from the auditorium at UCLA, and he go, do you do research in your lab? Because if you want to out be outstanding in med school, you do research in somebody's lab. He goes, come with me. So he took me his lab. The next day I started working his lab, and I actually ran his lab for the next seven years. And then I did general surgery after med school. For seven years, I was chief resident in general surgery, doing trauma, gunshot wounds, cancer reconstruction, all that kind of stuff. Right, yeah, and then and then I went on to plastic surgery.
Speaker 2: Did you just say, I don't want the trauma stuff anymore. I want I want you know, beauty, I want esthetics, I want nicer things.
Speaker 1: No. So, back in my day, to be a plastic surgeon, to be a cardiac surgeon, and to be a transplant surgeon, all those super specialties, you had to complete general surgery training. Oh okay, So I did a full general surgery training. I got board certified in general surgery and then went I graduated June thirtieth, nineteen ninety in general surgery and walked into UCLA's plast surgery program July first, nineteen ninety and went right in from general surgery to plastic surgery and then graduated plastic surgery and then got board certified plast surgery that went right away into practice.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I didn't quite catch the timeline. So how long did that whole thing take? From did general surgery start to the plastic surgery.
Speaker 1: I'm ready to do this. So four years college, four years med school, seven years of general surgery training and this is like wow. Back in the day when there were no rules prohibiting it like there are now, there was no limitation the number of hours a resident would work. So for seven years, I literally this is not an exaggeration at all. If there's one hundred and sixty eight hours in a week, twenty four times seven twenty four hours time seven days, at one hundred and sixty eight, we would work around one hundred and forty and we were most of the time awake every other night in the hospital operating. And so I did that for seven years. And then in plastic surgery UCLA the hours were much better, but it was super intense.
Speaker 3: A lot of people don't realize the sacrifice that you have to make. You know, people see all your success now and all the things you've done, but they don't see those one hundred and forty hours a week out of one hundred and sixty eight.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: I'm so glad you brought that up, because again, people think that success just comes to you and you just get lucky, but like, you literally sacrifice seven years of your life.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, it's funny. We for a lot of the super intense, hair on fire type people like me, we didn't really see it as a sacrifice. You know. It was like, this is the coolest thing that a human being. To me, it was always fighter, pilot, rock star or surgeon. Those were the three things to be right. Well, my brother was a rock star with a number one album when I was in med school. I'm not good with heights and spinning, so I wasn't going to go into the air force, so I was going to be a surgeon. So it was more than anything else. It was fun, you know, it was fun. I mean, I found my call. I wasn't, you know, let's be honest, I wasn't. I had an incredible sex drive, but I wasn't particularly good with girls. All right, I was really good with my brain in my hands, and I I'm one of these. So everybody's different when it comes to sleep, and we all need sleep. But there's a certain percentage of people, maybe two to four percent of people that congenitally don't need sleep. Yeah, and I do. I don't do well with a lot of sleep. I don't really do well with six hours or five hours. I do much better with three or two and so and so if you're not a sleeper, you're going to be a good general surgery resident because you're most of your work is between midnight and six am. Yeah, such a great point.
Speaker 3: I mean, I gotta have my six to eight hours or I'm a disaster. I thought maybe it was a mental thing for me, but like, if I sleep less than six hours, I have a tough time.
Speaker 1: I got it much of them, and I think everybody should focus on that, particularly when you've reached my stage of life, you need to get as much sleep as possible. These are called the marginal decades where if you don't take care of you like I work out seven days a week, if you don't take care of yourself at this stage of mime in you're gonna rapidly decline. But at that stage of life, if I got two and a half three hours, I could remember everything I read, I could remember every detail. If I got six or seven, I was foggy. Yeah, And even to this day, even though I'm sixty five right now, even to this day, if I do four days in a row of five six hours of sleep, my brain doesn't work as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, kind of slows down.
Speaker 1: Very cool. Yeah, But I think for my heart and for my overall health, you know, I don't think it's good for me to get two hours a night, But like last night, before last, I slept about an hour and a half.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I don't recommend that for anyway. But that's just my that's just the way my body works. I do well with very little sleep. I'm very sharp on no sleep. But anyway, so general surgery was really good for me, and I loved the emergency surgery. I was it's it's work, cocaine emergency surgery.
Speaker 2: You definitely have to be in love with it to be as passionate and as good as you are with it. Because I hate going to hospitals, I hate going to doctors. I hate the whole. I gotta, you know, check up on myself. And I think it was a conversation you and I had one of the shows. We started talking about prostate cancer and You're like, that's one of the easiest things to you know, just check, just go get it checked. And I was thinking, well, I don't want some guy to put his finger up my ass. I don't want anything up my ass. But you know, it has to be done because it's your health. It doesn't matter how it's done. It's your health, and it's an easy procedure and it could save your life.
Speaker 1: So it's a good point that in colonoscopies are things that everyone after forty. If you're not getting a colonoscope, you're taking unnecessary risk. I mean, there are certain things that are completely preventable, and colon cancer is number one on the list. It starts as a pall up, but press prostate cancer. By the way, all cancers, okay, even pancreas the worst of the worst if you catch it early. And I love that you and Tamra do and talk about the pernubo scan. Right, yep, yeah, she died, did it? Well? You did it right. I think the one downside of it is that you get you're going to chase the things in beside your body that are insignificant that you don't need to know about, the barnacles that we get to get older. But that's okay because if you catch for example, you hear someone gets pancreas cancer, right, you know they've got three to six months to live there fruit not true. Pancer's cancer is completely and totally and rather easily treatable for five years while you have it.
Speaker 2: Oh do they just put it up?
Speaker 1: You just cut it out. The problem is it's so far back in the what's called retro partineum in the back of the abdomen that it grows and it doesn't interfere with anything until it gets uncurable, incurable, unrespectable. But anyway, so that pernubo scan that Tamrau is talking about, I love to see that kind of stuff. I've had. I've scanned every inch of my body and my and multiple times, and my prostate three times. Yeah, because if you get prostate cancer early, it's like big deal. It's like testicular cancer, no big deal. You catch it way way, way way late. You're going to die from it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well on that note.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so by everybody go go be depressed.
Speaker 3: Believe it or not, Terry, I actually wanted to be a doctor, but I just wasn't smart enough.
Speaker 1: But I wanted to.
Speaker 3: But I just wanted to be a doctor because I needed to get out of the hood and I needed to make enough money. And I knew doctors made a lot of money. So I'm like, maybe if I become a doctor, I could get out of the hood. And then I'm like, okay, well I'm not smart enough, so I just get into sales and uh and then but so funny story about that. So when I used to so I used to go door to door selling alarm systems in like Watts and Compton, and someone told me doctors made four hundred dollars an hour. So I started making four hundred dollars an hour as I was selling these alarm systems. Right, So I called myself while I was in the field doctor Rojave, and I wanted to I wanted to average four hundred dollars an hour. So anyway, so well that's good. I mean, I mean, a truth be told.
Speaker 1: You don't necessarily you don't have to be particularly smart to be a doctor. You have to you have to be smart to get in to medical school. So once you're in medical school, it helps to be smart. It makes it a lot easier. But it's medical school. I mean, if I told you, guys, how the kidney works, you'd go, yeah, I get that. I mean, you know, it's not like physics where you have to go, now, how does this equation work? You know? So you don't need to necessarily be smart to be a doctor. You have to be interested interested to be a doctor. You have to be wanting. Like to me, I used to sit there in medical school at UCLA and I was buzzing. I thought, this is exactly where there is no better feeling. You guys, all both of you have felt this way, whether it's on a bicycle in the middle of a long bike ride when you've hit you know, just your flow and your pace and your heart's going a million miles an hour, but you feel nothing except in doorphin hun you know, whatever it is that puts you in that flow. I'm a flow junkie, okay, like before, like right now, I am. So For example, I'm obsessed with these miracle weight loss drugs right absolutely obsessed with them. And it's a historic time and that we literally have the cure for obesity. I have no plan on opening weightlift clinics or prescribing them, but I'm obsessed with the physiology. So I am studying for the American Board of Obesity Medicine Certification Exam to get bored certified. I was doing it right before I came on with you guys, just because I always need to be doing yes, yes, you know what I mean. Like I'm vacation, I'm a loser. I'm the worst. I can't stand it. You know.
Speaker 2: I can't lay around on vacation. It's boring.
Speaker 1: It's boring. So I need to be doing something. So I have like six jobs all the time that I enjoyed doing. If you're that kind of person, and yeah, that makes a good doctor, I think, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: And I always wondered how you balanced it all, because as entrepreneurs, you know, we you know, we have to figure out the time balance with family and kids and all those responsibilities we have. And I know that you worked a lot. You did multiple shows, you were on the Housewives, you were doing surgery, and you weren't getting very little sleep. And now I know why you just don't require that much sleep. But how you balance all that around is remarkable.
Speaker 1: Well, I appreciate you saying that, but the truth is, I mean, if you really looked at it holistically from the thirty thousand foot view, you might say, well, maybe Terry doesn't balance it that well, maybe you know, he doesn't necessarily. I think I do now now that they're older. I spend really high quality, interesting, interested time with my kids. But when they were growing up, I thought to myself, I don't remember being three or five, or seven or even eleven, So I thought, why am I spending Why am I gonna sit there at the baseball I never did that stuff, you know, And some of that played out on Housewives, and you know, they like to exaggerate for story of but but there was a current. There was more than a kernel of it. I wasn't home that much. And there after I got my own TV show. Well, no, no, no, I did a TV show called The Swan. Okay, I don't know if you guys are aware of that, but this was a Housewives right way before. It was in two thousand and four, right and I think that was before the first season of Real Housewives of Orange County. I think it was two thousand and three. I don't know how long. What season is Orange County on seventeen eighteen eighteen? Okay, so that would be you know two thousand and eight, right or twosand seven. So I did a TV show called The Swan which was a giant makeover reality show on Fox, and it was on after American Idol, and like you know that we had like thirty million viewers. I mean it was like one of it was. It was before it was when there was two, four, seven, nine, eleven and thirteen, right, it was like there was an HBO. I don't think no cable. So and I was the surgeon on this makeover show, only only a few years out of my training, and that put me on the map immediately. So I got to be able to operate. And what plastic surgeons want to do is what what any surgeon want to do is we want to operate. You want to get your skill set because it's a it's a skill based profession, right, it's an experience based profession. The more I mean, can you imagine Tom Brady with his body at twenty five, with his experience and brain, now he'd be ten times, the quarterbacks ten times. Well that's the way I am now, because we don't we don't degrade in plastic surgery. We don't degrade the surgeon. But anyway, so very soon out of my training, I got this TV show. It was a major hit, and I started operating seven days a week, not six, not five, but saturdays. And I would start Sunday morning at six amte my own practice, just me. I was booked for years and so and so I remember I came home, I met the refrigerator Sunday night, and I look down and I look at my son. I go, when did you get so tall? And the heather listen, he goes, she looks at me, she goes, really, so you're going to do this their whole childhood. You just gonna operate every single day. So I went from like seven to six days a week, and then I went to five. And then now you know, now, since they're what I call sentient humans, right, you can interact with them and they're wonderful. I spend a lot of time with them now. But so I to your point, I don't think I was. I met the classic definition of work life balance. I think I'm much better now much better.
Speaker 3: Now, what was your back then? What was your favorite part to operate on? I'm curious.
Speaker 1: Well, you know, I've always liked I always like to do It's the favorite favorite procedures for a plastic surgeon, to be quite honest, are the ones that are fun, elegant, and pay and pay the most boobs. So facelifts pay the most, rests are the most common, right, And so I like to do facelifts and breasts, right because I could do five or six or seven breasts in a day. But now, well you know my practice obviously in the last time, I've been doing botch for ten years. Right, Yeah, So you don't come to Terry de Brow for a you know, a twenty three year old breast implant, twenty three year old with who wants brett you? First of all, you can't afford me. And second I and if you've come to me, I say, why are you coming to me? Go to this guy down the street. He's just as good, and he's going to be a third of the price. Right. And of course when you say that, they want you to do it more, right, right, But so now I do primary most of what I do is if you had a botch case. You come to me now, okay.
Speaker 2: Yeah, have you ever had a botch case where you just it's too risky to even attempt to fix it, and you're and you have to tell him the bad news, like, I'm sorry, I can't help you. Nobody can help you that they're so botched.
Speaker 1: Well, that's a good question. So the first deason of Botched, we got, like, you know, two thousand applicants and the network, because you know how it works, The network finds you these people with terrible visual problems, interesting stories because they have to have a story, and then they send them to you, go can you fix this? And the first like ten, we go, no way, no way, no way, too risky, I'll make them worse. I'm not. The last thing you want to do is botch. By the botch doctor is ruin someone on national television. It wo ruins the whole show. So I would accept maybe one out of three. By the fourth season, you know, you get good at what you do all the time, right, whatever it is you do a lot of By the fourth season it was like I would accept three out of five. And the last three seasons you send it over, we take it. There's nothing. We will turn down, well, turn you down if we feel you have too many red flags, like you have very very unrealistic expectations, you're hostile, you're ragging too much on your previous surgeon. But I feel like, you know, there's pretty much anything I can make better, just as long as I'm honest, which I am, And I say, look, you understand, I can make you worse. I can put you in the hospital. But here's fifteen consent forms that said I warned you of this possibility. So if you sign here, let's go. Yeah. Yeah, So Terry walk us through.
Speaker 3: So you're at swan. Was that a success? I assume it was a successful show. And then how did you make the transition a botch? How did that oak all come about?
Speaker 1: Okay, so I did in two thousand and three, I did this one. It was a huge reality show. We were on the cover of People magazine, and then they picked it up for another season, and then I did that and it was hugely successful. And that was in two thousand and four, and we were about to start the third season and we'd almost fully cap cast it. It was going to be of course, they were pushing the envelope by the way. This is back when reality TV was really pushing the envelope and really inappropriate shows like Who's Your Dad at Yeah? And you know they get they get women up on a stage and take a laser point and go, oh you could you know if you lost a little way here. Remember that disgusting show is really body negativity time in reality TV. And then the head of Fox left and the new head of Fox came from FX, which was a very cool cable show, cable NETWORKX. I'll tell you about what Botch was called. Before it was called Botch, it was. It was actually called Nip Believe it or not. It was, and we loved it, but the advertiser, the advertisers didn't like it, so they changed it. But anyway, so right, I remember it was ten o'clock at night. He was a Tuesday. I was at Arthur Smith Productions, you know, the guy does all the top chef shows and everything, and they I'm looking at the patients and oh, and we're pushing the envelope. The third season. We're going to do trip twins and we're gonna do triplets. And there was two plasters, me and another guy who I trained with the UCLA he was going to do one. I was going to do two and see what the difference was. It was like such a bad message anyway, So the one of the people over, the executives over go you can go home now, and I go, what, because, yeah, you can go home now, give us a call tomorrow. And I walk out of there and go, I think the show just got canceled. And the first move this guy did, who coming over from FFEX, goes, I'm canceling that terrible TV show, The Swan. So we got canceled because it was the most if you if you google worst reality shows of all time. I did the top two. I did The Swan and a show called Bridal Plastic. But anyway, so it got canceled. It got canceled, and then I went back to my practice and operated like a mania for the next four years. And then he asked me to do the show called Bridal Plasty that went only one season. And this also, body positivity was getting even more and more important, and body shaming was becoming a colloquial term, as it should, and we were taking these engaged women, okay, engaged women, putting him in a house. Every week they would compete in a wedding related challenge, and if they won the wedding related challenge, they got to have Terry Debrou do a plastic surgery procedure on the Oh my gosh. And then if you won the whole show, Terry Debru would do a head to toe makeover on you. But here was the caveat your fiance couldn't see you till the day you got married, and they lift the veil and now he's seeing you for the first time, completely made over. It was like, so that's the number two worst reality show. I could say why it was. It was a pretty big hit. But that was just when Julianna Ransick was colleing Zendia the weird things that she got in trouble for. Remember I don't remember on Fashion Police and body shaming coming. So they just said, okay, never mind, and they canceled that show too. Yeah. In fact, they so hated that show. They flew me out to the View to have me sit there at the table with the View women just to rag on me for doing the show. That's what they do, and so I know, and they said, do you really want to do this? And I said to NBCU, I go, do I want to do this? They go, yeah, go do it? You're good? You know. I went okay, And I remember arriving in New York going up the service elevator to do the show, and the pie goes, are you really ready for this? Like like they're going to kill you? You know. I lines that long story short. I get up there, I go to have my makeup and I go into the makeup room and they're all sitting there. Barbara Walters ope up, whoopee what's her name? The comedian, and they go, oh, you know. I go and I shmoozed them. He them like, I do you know? I you know what was that called on that that vampire show where they used to take v what was that not be? Anyway? I glammed them, you know anyway, and by the time I got there, they liked me so much they couldn't go there. Yeah, I saved it by the way. I went on Doctor Phil when I did the Swan, he brought me on to trash me too, and I shmoozed him and he went, well, Terry, maybe it's such a good idea of the d ND show. I go, You're you're not wrong, Doctor Phil. Yeah, so that show got canceled. That show got canceled, and then nothing. So I just went to my practice and then to lead into how I got botch it, That's what you're asking is that when you're we're kind of going there editions, we're at home, and the financial crisis hits, the global financial crisis, and I'm sure you guys have specific memories of that time right where if you were in real estate, it was over. Whether you win any service industry, it was over. And you know, all of our practices, even my practice was very slow. And it happened over lap a time where I'm building this giant mansion in Pelican Crest, Newport Beach, and it's like, this is not the time to cut off cash flow here, Okay, I was in the last ten percent of the remember that house ye in Pelican Chris. That was a beauty, wasn't it? Anyway? So I thought, all right, okay, all right, so what am I going to do? So I took out an iPad like this, and I concepted a reality TV show of these high end women in Newport Beach who know didn't don't know shit about restaurants, opening up a restaurant because they were going to do that. All these high like the wife of the CEO of Smith Wesson, this beautiful woman, my wife, these five other women whose husbands were like billionaires were they said, let's open a restaurant. I thought, that's a reality show. So I wrote, I looked up how to write a treatment? Right, and I, by the way, I did this at three and four in the morning, of course, because that's that's where I'm most away. How to do a treatment, and so oh, how do you do a treatment? So I wrote up Pelican Hill Wife Show or now what was it called? Anyway, because we knew would be a fail, and I set it off to literally eight production companies. Then I just what are the top production companies? And there was a three ball that did Biggest Loser, there was this, there was that, And I said who does the housewives? And it said evolution. So I sent off and I said, Denny's wanted interested in this treatment? Please email me back. It was such a good treatment, to be honest with you, I mean, the characters were so good. I had their pictures and description of all the women that the Immediately within forty eight hours, everyone said let's take a meeting. So we were going to do a deal long story shirt with some other production company. And then I got an email from Evolution, from Alex Baskin of all people, who was kind of a junior guy back then, and he said, come in for a meeting. So I drove my hybrid over. The women flew their helicopter over, and I met with Alex basket I go, let me tell you about the women you're going to meet. We had a meeting and I go, sort, are you interested? He goes, I'll call you. So on the way, Homie calls me and I said, I know you're interested in doing a deal, right because I said, but we're already kind of doing a deal with a bigger company. He goes, let me pitch you something rather than you do that show, which probably has a small chance of actually getting picked up. Why doesn't your wife come on Real Housewives of Orange County and you can incubate that show on Real Housewives of Orange County. And I go, good, idea start out on a hit show, branch off the hit show. So I get home and my wife goes, so what did that Evolution think? And I go, they think you might. They want you to come you to come on Real Housewives of Orange County and she goes, no way. That is the final nail on the cop into my acting career. And back then it wasn't like being on Housewives now. Being on Housewives now as being like, in my opinion, like on an A list show.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's it's it's why by the way, run well?
Speaker 1: I mean, who's the third banana on a sitcom on NBC? No idea, who's the new housewife? Everybody in the world knows the new housewife? Right yea? So true. So it's a big deal now, but it wasn't back then. It was kind of like, you know, the dregs of TV kind.
Speaker 2: I remember that distinctively, because you were so excited to be on the show and you were all about the show, and Heather was like.
Speaker 1: I don't want to do this. I don't want to be a part of this. Pissed And so I was lying to Alec Baskin the whole time, Oh she's doing it. Oh she's doing it. So he sends the contract. I write head their due bro, I send it in and she goes. And then I literally forced her to do it, and I mean her first few seasons she hated it so much. It's not that anybody really likes it now, to be honest with you, they're right. But at least you understand it now, you know you can get it. Yeah, and so, at the exact same time, and I'll shorten this, but the exact same time, Paul Nassip was on Real Housewives of Beverly Hills, and the first two seeds of Real Housewives Beverly Hills were really entertaining. I even watched it. Okay, I never watched Orange County because I didn't watch it. I'm a guy a housewives show, right, But I watched that. He got divorced, he left the show, and he wanted that TV juice back. So and he and I weren't practice together in Beverly Hills for a short period of time, and then we weren't practice. I stayed down in Newport Beach and he calls me one day and he goes, you do a lot of revisional surgery, don't you? And I go yeah. He goes, why don't we do a show about fixing bad plastic surgery? And I go, that's kind of a shitty idea. He goes, why. I go, because if we if other guys haven't been able to fix it? What makes us so special? And what do we do on the show when we've ruined them? He goes, I think we could do it, And it was sort of his idea at Alex's idea, and we did a sizzle, a three minute sizzle in his office, us just looking at before pictures of people who are trashed and me making fun of Paul, and it had instant chemistry Easton chemistry so much so that E went straight to series Wow, and we did no pilot. We did eight episodes, and I remember we finished the season. We made it through the season successfully and we flew to New York and Twitter was very new then, very very new twenty fourteen, very new, and we're sitting there at a restaurant. We said to the bartender, Hey, could you turn on this show on E? He goes why, He goes, well, because this is a new show and we're on it. He turns it on. I'm sitting there on Twitter like this and it's like, love this show, greatest show. I go, WHOA, we might have something here because I had one pole. I go, I go, the show is probably gonna and we got picked up for season two and three right away. Wow, after three episodes and then the rest is history. And ten years later, you're.
Speaker 2: Right, are you still filming a much?
Speaker 1: So I'm not really. I'm gonna say this in a very vague way, okay, because you know how it works in this business. There's something new, Okay, that that I'm doing. That's that's that in my little world is even bigger than watched. Wow. Yeah, that's big. And it's it's it's going, it's going on right now. It could be a total disaster, but it's it's like Botch times two. Yeah. And it's not the Botch doctors. It's me and Bop up up by. You know, you know how it works. I can't get out until it's a thing. Uh. And it's it's really exciting and really scary, and you know, it's maybe a February thing, but it's it's it's it's so until we don't know what the So what happened with Botch is interesting. So NBCUS sold the first season of Botch to Netflix. Oh yes, and so it came out on Netflix and it was the number two show on Netflix for like three weeks in a row. The season one of Botched, and when they look at the stats, because my agent does that kind of thing. The number one show this year on Netflix, that's a re that's a repurposed show that a show that was elsewhere is as you know, Suits is Suits, right, yeah, Suits. The number one, number two is Botched.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: Wow is Botched.
Speaker 2: The typical reality show where you don't get residuals. You don't get any.
Speaker 1: Of that nothing.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: But the difference is the benefit for someone like me who does a show like Botch. You know, if it feeds your primary business, you're very, very lucky.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Are you at the point where you have surgeons working for you?
Speaker 1: I don't do that, Okay, I don't do that. I never have a surgeon. I don't let surgeons come in my operating room. I don't think. Look, I thought about this, and most guys would do this. And what you can do is you can run two or three rooms, start the surgery here, have a junior guy finish it up. Start the surgery here, and literally make three times the money.
Speaker 2: Do that.
Speaker 1: I put in every stitch, I do every procedure, I do one at a time. And I think part of that is just I think that's the right thing to do karmically, and the other thing is I'm too para, you know, because like the chance that something bad is going to happen and somebody's going to try to extort me for it is relatively high anyway. So the best way to minimize any problems is to be a good dude, to be an honest dude, and do all the work yourself.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that makes a lot of sense.
Speaker 1: Actually, I mean if you would have told me after ten seasons, ten years of Botch that included Watch by Nature, Botch, post up, other shows in the batch umbrella, that we've had like two unhappy patients, Yeah, I mean, think about it. I would if you would have said to me ten years ago, how many people do you think I'll sue you within those ten seasons, I'd say, oh, I'll have fifteen lawsuits, And I've only had one and it was a BS extortion And I told Harvey Levin about I'm being extorted, and Harvey put it on TMZ and they all just went and they ran away. So it's good to be close to Harvey Levin, by the way.
Speaker 3: It is, by the way, I'm curious. I'm curious. Back then, real Housewives. Your wife's on it, you're you're un botched. Who got paid more? You're her as far as the shows are concerned.
Speaker 1: So she I didn't get botched till she was on I think four seasons or yeah, four, So yes, you guys know, well maybe you don't, Eddie because she's been on it for so long. But as you guys know, your first couple of seasons, it's like it doesn't pay your hair and makeup right on Orange in Orange County. So I think it was pretty close, like my starting point to where Heather was a season four and then and then she ultimately made more, but you know, and now like what is it now? It's pretty close. We get paid aby out the same, but you got to be you know. But you have to understand, I to be a big plastic surgeon with an operate with a surgery center and an office that is about two hundred thousand a month you need to make just to break even even. Yeah, so if you take away a day of filming a week, yeah, and three quarters a day of filming surgery a week, right, you do the math. It it takes I make a lot more money operating than I do being the botch doctor. Okay, and if they let's say they paid me, which they don't. But then let's pay say they paid me one hundred thousand an episode to do botch, which they don't. You know, one hundred thousand is not worth a day and a half for me. I got to pay this overhead. That's two hundred things, you know what I mean. So it's very expensive to run out. I have, you know, twenty two employees. I mean, it's a it's and by the way, my employees have all been with me for twenty years, so they're hay scale is all here. You know what a lot of doctors do and I've never done this is Oh somebody starts to make too much, you fire them and you get the junior person who makes this. And by everybody is at the top of the pay scale. In fact, my coordinators and my pa get paid more than doctors do.
Speaker 2: Wow. Wow, Oh the time the right company.
Speaker 1: I love them. They protect me. They keep me out of trouble. You know. Although I had a patient the other day.
Speaker 2: Listen to this.
Speaker 1: So this patient I go in to see her and she's this rich woman with all these diamonds, and she's messed up that's a good combo platter, right, because messed up and rich, I mean, where else they gonna go? They have to go to the box doctor. And so she goes, I want you to fix this. I want you to fix this. I want you to fix this. I want you to fix this.
Speaker 2: And she was.
Speaker 1: Totally unlikable and totally mean, and it sued three of her four doctors. And so I walk out, I hand the chart to my surgery coording in the hallway. I go, not for a million dollars? And she goes, really, I go, yeah. So she takes the lady out and she goes, she walks in, she goes and she's in the hallway and I go what. She goes, how about two hundred and forty thousand dollars? And I go to forty? I would do. Everybody's got a price. I'm kidding. I'm sort of kidding. I'm sort of kidding. Maybe not, but uh, you know. So it's very expensive to be a plastic serge, particularly when you're you know, have the same employees forever. So I've watched is a net negative for sure. But let's face it, do I really need any more money? I've done pretty well.
Speaker 2: Right, I mean, so well, it's a marketing platform for you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but do I really need it after ten seasons? I mean, how much more? I mean, I'm not that famous, right, You guys have the same les of fame I do. Everyone knows who we are, you know what I mean. And we're not getting any more famous by doing ten more seasons of whatever we do, right if this is it?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 1: So I'm not going to get any more famous as a plaster I don't need as a marketing and they're gonna run Botched. You turn on E right now, you turn on Peacock right now? What do you think is running? What do you think is running on E? A marathon of Botch on E? A marathon of Box is running on E? Right? And so it's on Netflix, It's on It's on Peacock, it's running right now. I mean, it's always on TV. So it doesn't really I don't need anymore. You know what I love about it? It's us. Yeah, it's fun. Yeah, it's fascinating. It's like the most interesting thing I do is Botched by far.
Speaker 2: And you've actually helped people. It wasn't just for the show. You help people.
Speaker 1: It's the hugs and the tears and the You know, it's funny about plastic surgery. If there are certain operations that nobody does very much, nobody is good at them. But there's operations that nobody does that are very rare. That if because you're the botch doctor, you get to do them all the time, you get really good at it. Right, So I can do this, Like there's a thing called a uniboo where there's two there one breast goes over to the other side because the doctor dissected too far. That in the textbooks is considered not fixable. Nobody tries to fix it. I can fix it in twenty minutes with one hundred percent success. Not because I'm so special, because I'm not. It's just because I've done it so many times experience. So to apply this skill set, I don't want to let it go. I just it's so fun. But this new thing I'm doing is super weird and super fascinating. You guys will see you know what it is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Hey, before we go any further, I want to I was really interested in learning about what it was like growing up with the rock star.
Speaker 1: How did that happen? So so my brother you know, as intense and pressured speech and crazy as I am. My brother is on another level. Okay, wow, my brother, if he were talking to you right now, this is my my brother. Yeah, well, you know, you know and so and quite a brilliant guy who they tested his IQ. It was through the roof and they let him know. And he was very obnoxious that he just runs in the family and so he like at ninth grade, he walked in and someone said to him, you have a higher IQ than any teacher you're going to have, And that was the worst thing you could say to an asshole like my brother. He was three years older than me, and he never had respect for teachers. And he dropped out of high school in the eleventh grade. Wow was he a band at that time? So all he wanted to do. He was so into rock music, you know, and really the classic rock music. You know. It started out with Mata Hoople and then The Faces and then the Small Faces, and then of course Led Zeppelin, you know who was you know, Free and then back Bob but you know, all these bands from the seventies, right, he was obsessed. We had a teeny little room in this house. He had two little beds, his drum set, his posters on the wall. I was allowed to have one little section. He hated me and he was mean to me. And he was super tall. Oh man, So I grew up with this a hole. Yeah, and it was all about He had a real de real thing in there and his drum set and he would play. He'd start playing drums when I was in bed, oh man, and I go, really, go get out. I go, okay, so I get out. So he drops out and he started a band called Quiet Riot. Yeah, of course, and then it was him and Randy Rhodes. I mean, it just so happened. One of the most talented guitarists in history, arguably top certainly top fifteen best guitarists of all time. I don't know about top ten, but certainly is always listed in the top fifteen. Some people rated him a seven.
Speaker 2: You probably know who Randy Roads is due, not really.
Speaker 1: Randy Rhodes was in Quiet Riot, and then Ozzy Osbourne stolen you know that yeah, crazy trained, you know that guitar lick that was ready anyway, so they could they formed Quiet Riot. They were good, by the way. My brother was so intense and so ambitious. He was a great drummer, but couldn't sing at all at all. But he wanted to be a front man and want to be a singer. So what he did is he just willed himself to learn how to sing. Now, let's face it, singing, can you really become a good singer if you don't have the fundamental talent you can become by the way you're shitty with your hands. You can become a good surgeon.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, yeah you can't.
Speaker 1: It's it's a trainable skill. I don't think rock and roll. I don't think so, you know what I mean. I don't think so. You can't will yourself to become good looking, right And I don't think you give surgery. You can't. But I don't think you certainly can't do anything to your.
Speaker 2: Voice like that.
Speaker 1: Right. No. No, He, through willpower and just fundamental ambition and intense desire willed himself to find a rock and roll voice somewhere in there. Wow, And he did. And they they would play at the Roxy, they played the star Wood, they play at the Whiskey, and they would sell it out every night. But they couldn't get a record deal, and there would be a lineup all the way around the block every time they were at the Roxy, star Wood and Whiskey, and they couldn't get a record deal. And then I remember one night, I'm sitting there watching my brother. I'm up you know the sort of up the you know the seats above where you sit down, and I'm up there and there's Ozzy Osbourne, Robert Palmer, Robert Palmer, Carl Palmer, the drummer for Emerson, Lake and Palmer. And I'm going, whoa look at these guys up here. And I see Ozzy Osbourne talking to Carl Palmer, and I had a bad feeling, and he goes Ozzy Osbourne goes down and you see him talking to Randy Rhodes and he stole Randy Rhodes from Choir Riot. And my brother was devastated because it was Randy Rhodes. He had the greatest guitars, so Ozzie stole him and my brother was devastated. Got new guitars, but it wasn't it doesn't you know Randy roads anymore, Long story short, Randy ends up dying because they crashed into a bus with the makeup artist on tour. They rented the plane and my brother two years later had a number one album. Wow yeah, and so so quick story about that. I am a second I'm a second year med student at.
Speaker 2: UCLA and my brother number one record.
Speaker 1: When he got his number one record, he let me live in the guest house in the back over the garage next to the pool in Hancock Parking. Got a big mansion and he let me live there. My only job was to watch his cat, Larry. That's it. So I got to live rent free in Hancock park in a mansion in the back right and go to UCLA med school and take care of his cat.
Speaker 3: I'm curious, did he leave you any of the.
Speaker 1: Leftover roopies? No? And so he would come home from he would come home for tour with David Lee Roth and Eddie Van Halen and they would play pool. There'd be naked girls all around. This is back when it was I'm sure it's still crazy. This is back when it was really crazy, right where cocaine was not like dangerous, it was just fun. All right, Candy, You know, Candy, this is nineteen eighty two, all right, eighty three. Nobody died from cocaine back then. Yet, so one night he comes home and he's true was touring Germany, and I heard he was going to be here and there. For some reason, something got canceled, so he thought he'd fly home. I didn't know. And there in the back and I hear all these cars pull up, because you know, they pulled up with all the rock star cars. And it's like three forty eight in the morning, and I hear this. My brother was an asshole, by the way, and he was very coked out, okay all the time, and I'm going, what the hell. I look down and he goes and I go, oh hey, you know, and he goes, where's Larry his cat? And I go, oh shit, where's Larry. My one job, the one thing I was responsible for to live there Red Free, was to take care of his cat. And so I go and I'm looking around in the guesthouse and there's no Larry. Oh shit, I know. And so I come out and I put my scrubs on. I'd be at work in an hour at UCLA anyway, but it was like three forty eight and I couldn't find Larry. He was so pissed by the time I got home the next day. Because I was on call that night. My mom called me. She goes, honey, I go what. She goes, your brother wants you out of there. He kicked me out of the house because I can't that what job? What JOm job? Wow? And so just to one other interesting story, So I'm first year Usilly med student. My brother gets a record contract with CBS. Okay, and he the album comes out and all of a sudden it appears on Billboard charts. When you know that you would buy LPs and it was they to the top one hundred and it was ninety eight with a bullet And I come home and you know it was the answer machines, you play the thing? I honey, it was my mom. She goes, your brother's album is ninety eight with a bullet. I go, whoa, Kevin's on the one hundred Billboard chart. Wow. And the next week, Hi, honey, it's ninety two with a bullet. Okay, how does it? And this continued on thirteen with a bullet. Eight with a bullet, because with a bullet meant you were going to go higher next week okay, because that man's accelerated growth, accelerated sales. And then the next week after that it comes out and number one album in the country was Metal Health by Quiet Riot. Number two was Thriller by Michael Jackson, and number three was All Night Long by Lionel Richard.
Speaker 2: It was like, wow, that was the eighties, right, that was eighty two eighty two?
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, no, I'm sorry eighty four. That was eighty four.
Speaker 2: I remember those songs. Yeah, yeah, And so.
Speaker 1: You know that that was sort of the evolue. And then when he came home, it was just a different It was a different world. He was much more coked, his cars were much more radical, you know, Ferrari. And then I remember when the album hit number one, he's flying in to play at the Forum, which they call what do they call it now, the Great westerns whatever it's called now? Is it called Staples? I think, yeah, Kia now, But it was called the Great Western Forum. It was called the Forum. It was like the place you wanted to headline. And he invited me there and I hadn't seen him for three months because he's been on tour all over the world. And they I go backstage and they go, hey, your brother wants to see you, and he sees me. He goes like this, right, and he takes me out backstage, and you know, the opening act had already closed, and they brought all his equipment out and he opens up the curtain like this and he says, look at that. And I look through and there's seventeen thousand lighters. Wow. Cool, wowes rush, he goes. You want to know what it's like. He was, this is what it's like. Yeah, and then he comes out. You know, it was like out of that. What a rush, right, that's the ultimate rush. But he give me out of the house. So, kim, Hey, you lost his cat. I lost his cat? Yes, oh good, good. By the way, like the cat, you know where the cat was in the main house.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's funny. He was just.
Speaker 1: Pissed that I didn't know where the cat was. Cat was in the house. Oh wow.
Speaker 2: So hey, I remember last time we had dinner. You said you did not drink an ounce of alcohol until you met Heather True. Tell us about that. How do you go through med school and not drink alcohol?
Speaker 1: So in high school I didn't drink. I did smoke weed, okay a little bit when I was when I was in twelfth grade, I discovered weed. But you know, I went to college to be a doctor, right, and so I was so you know, my stepfather was a construction plumber who was out of work all the time. I never had any money growing up, and I felt like, if I don't get into medical school, what the hell am I gonna do? You know? So I was always I was and getting into med school. I'm sure it's even harder now, but it was really, really, really hard back then. And like you sit your chemistry class and they say how many of your pre met? Everybody raise their head, and so they go look to your left, look to your right. Neither of you are getting in. That's he competitive, so plan for something else. So it was like I was so paranoid and I had a bad experience with alcohol when I was twelve. I somebody gave you some whiskey. I threw up for like hours. So I didn't drink in college. Can you believe that I didn't drink in medical school. I really didn't drink till I met Heather. And when I met Heather, Steps in the City was a huge program on TV okay, and it was just when they they're the ones that made Cosmo really popular. And if you don't drink, you can drink a Cosmos, right easy, like surely exactly. So she turned me. She goes, let's have a Cosmo. So I'd have a Cosmo and it's Heather's so elegant and beautiful and awesome. And so I drink Cosmo and go, oh, this is good. She does, and so I would have, you know, one or two and then slowly, when you're married to Heather Debro, you become a drinker, right, And so unfortunately I substituted alcohol for marijuana. I should have stuck with the marijuana. And now I obviously enjoy drinking. I keep it. You know, I don't try not to drink during the week, but uh, you know, Heather and I drink. I mean, you're not married to Heather de Bro and not drink. If you are, you're not hanging out with her.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I understand you guys were you met on a blind date? Right?
Speaker 1: So I went to I did general surgery with a really so I was chief resident General Surgery with three other guys with our four chief residents in my year. And one of the guys was an incredibly gifted, intense like black Belding, karate and super genius. This guy was like, you know, you could give him what's three hundred and forty three times eleven hundred and seventy yeight, he'd go and he tell you it. He was one of these three. He was a savant. He was a little Elon muskis little Aspergers, you know, not the greatest personality, not that much empathy. But he was a surgeon, which is not uncommon for a surgeon. And he went off to do liver transplant fellowship and the best program in the country at Philadelphia. And I went off to do plastic surgery UCLA. I graduated, and I was a serial monogamist. Okay, I was the kind of guy who by the really quick story, I remember my mother used to say, when you get into med school, girls are going to really like you. I get into med school, Nah, girls didn't like me that much. And then I got into this competitive general surgery program. My mom goes, oh, when you're a surgeon, girls are gonna like you.
Speaker 2: Didn't really, it's.
Speaker 1: Not really true. And then I get into UCLA's plastic surgery program, you know, and my mom goes, well, you're a plastic surgeon, girls are gonna really like you. Finally it was true. So that's how I scored someone like Heather debrou looking like this right. So I graduate, I open up my practice in Newport Beach. My buddy does liver transplant surgery. And I'm like three or four years into my practice and I get a call. Hey, there's a doctor Craig Smith on the phone. I go, Craig Smith from General Surgery. I go, what's happening? I go, what are you doing? He goes, I'm doing Patreo's transplants now at UCLA. I go, wow. He goes, Hey, the reason I'm calling? Are you still single? I go, yeah, I just broke up with my girlfriend. I was a serial monogamist. I would go out with girls for three months and then get bored. Take him on a shopping trip because I was a single plastic surgeon. Who you know me? I don't like stuff. I don't drive a fancy car. I don't have any one I dress. You've seen me. No jewelry, I'm simple man. No jewelry. It's all black until they make a darker color, you know. And so I you know, I don't spend money. I don't care about money. I care about having fun. And so he I go, oh. So I would always take the girlfriend I wanted to dump for a shopping trip. They didn't know, but that was the last day and I get rid of them. So I done the shopping excursion with the last girlfriend, who, by the way, ended up killing two kids in on West Lake twenty years later after she got married drunk. You know this case. I was her boyfriend twenty years before. Maybe you don't know it, but it's a famous case. Anyway, he goes.
Speaker 3: I'm curious, what was the psychology of getting them all these presents before you dumped them?
Speaker 1: Guilt guilt relief. Yeah. I would go out for three months, three in tense months. I'm into you, I'm into you, I'm into you, not into you and so, and it's like they think I'm really into them. I'm faded, I'm over it. And I just couldn't bring myself to break up with them without giving them a partying gift, good man. So I would take them. I literally would take them to Neiman Marcus and say whatever you want. And they would always think that, oh, we're going to the next level he's takings and I would drop. And this is nineteen ninety five. I would drop twenty eight thousand dollars on them.
Speaker 2: Jeez, wow, that's a lot of guilt.
Speaker 1: Yeah, think about what twenty eight thousand dollars is when in nineteen ninety eight it even.
Speaker 3: I probably saw you were going to marry them, I know, And so a new car, it's right, right, And so I did it ghost?
Speaker 1: Yeah, So I done the ghost shopping trip right and with this girl. And I was single for two months, not really dating anyone. He calls me, He goes, hey, are you still seeing I go, I am. I just broke up with my girlfriend about two months ago. He goes, great, my girlfriend has a best friend. And I go, what does she do? He goes, she's an actress. I go, really, where does she wait tables? And and he goes, no, she's on a TV show. I go she is? And he goes, yeah, she's on a show called Life with Rogers Sunday nights at eight. Man go look at her? So I go. He goes, He goes, I want to set you up with her. She wants to marry She wants to meet a Jewish doctor. And I went okay. So I go home, and you know you could there was no internet then, you know, they didn't have that TV there was no AOL, you know what I mean. And so I Sunday Night this, you know, we were going to go out Tuesday or something of the next week. Sunday Night comes on, and you know, I turn on Life with Roger and she's the bartender and she comes out. And my wife back then had very beautiful, perfect breast. This is before you know, she had no she's never had breast implants. She never had any plast surgery, right, she just fill her and botox whatever, and that face and I go, oh, she's never gonna like me. She's an actress on TV. Look at the way she looks. She was twenty eight. I'm thirty seven. Never gonna like me. And we they said, what do you want to go out? The four of us? And they want to go to the grill. I go, now, let's go to the Ivy at the shore. So we meet the Ivy at the shore. She walks in and I go, oh, yeah, this girl forget it. This goes and so this girl's never going to like me. And she was everything I like. She had that round face, that beautiful black hair, the perfect breast, this wonderful body. And she's on a TV show. Yeah, you know. I mean, yeah, I'm a plastic surgeon. I can pull some girls, but not I'm still this all right, I'm still not pulling you know that? All right? Maybe you guys, you guys can I could never pull that, all right, even as a plastic surgeon. Right, And so we hit it off awesome. Well, and she didn't like me very much because she thought I was cocky. Yeah, and I wasn't cocky. And anyway, we went out and after about six weeks that was it. Wow, that was the end of it. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Nice.
Speaker 1: So that's how I met her. And you know, here we are twenty whatever years later. She thinks I'm a pain. She thinks I'm a pain in the ass. Yeah, she loves you, she loves me. I love her. You know, she's the world's greatest mother. You know, she's she's and and he's a killer man. What she does works. You know, everything I dump on her is successful. Yeah, she's an awesome lady. Whether it's housewives or a lot and I say, just build a house. It turns out to be like, wow, you you were pretty golden. So for me, you know, it's pretty cool.
Speaker 2: Tell us, tell us about your experience on the real housefights of Orange County, the good and the bad. Because I mean when we met, I was I think I was just on the cusp of of I want nothing to do with this, And yeah, you were all about it, and you navigated through it very well until you finally figured it out and said, Okay, I don't want anything to do with it. I'm gonna go do my shows. And then every time we filmed, and you filmed a little bit, we found ourselves behind the camera a lot because we didn't want to be a part of the drama.
Speaker 1: Right, well the hell, you know. Right. So at the beginning, I didn't know the show because I was a guy didn't watch housewives. By the way, do you watch house Do you watch the show anymore? I don't watch it either. Only if I have to, I don't. By the way, she'll show me a scene, but I don't even want to see a scenes. I'm afraid they'll show me something it'll piss me off. So I think I think I don't want it. But at first I thought this is hilarious, Yeah this is And you know, I had no idea how dangerous it could potentially be, how we could spin out on you, how I just thought it was funny, you know, And every time I do a scene, I think to myself, I'm hilarious until they edit it. Are till they edit it, that's right. And you know, I you know, even in my medical practice, even in the midst of a trauma, I find the silliness in everything, you know, the yeah, well, that's just my thing. I'm I'm somewhere arrested in fourth grade. You know. Densy humor is like between eleven and twelve years old, right, I know that, yeah, And so I'm still that way. And so I thought it was really fun and funny. And Heather didn't want to do the show. She hated doing it. She was incredibly sensitive about it. Didn't want me to be joking on it and all that do with make me crazier and want to be sillier. And she hated me on the show. And then she resonated, as you know, she got better at it. And I think the turning point for me was when we were at the final dinner for one of the seasons and nothing was happening, and I thought, come on, I want another season. Let's get some ratings, and I scream at David Badoor.
Speaker 2: I remember that dinner and.
Speaker 1: I screamed at him, and I really didn't feel what I was screaming. I was kind of just acting to be honest with you, and to be honest with you, I thought he was kind of not the greatest human being in the world, and blah blah blah, But I didn't care. I love everybody. I mean, by the way, I saw David Badour two years ago at Javier's and I walked by and I look him and I gave him a squeeze and I go, how are you? Is my way of saying. If I was a douche to you ever, I apologize, you know, but I didn't say it. But he knew what I was doing right, And so I got so burned in social media for that and so hated for doing that that I thought, oh, this is not fun, because up until that point, he's the funniest, He's the greatest. We love Terry. Here, does I love Terry? He was like, yeah, go places, Oh my god, yourself funny? It was fun, right, you know, Let's face it, being on a reality show and being successful, it's like being the high school quarterback. Yeah, everybody likes you. Everybody talks to you wherever you go. It's like hey, Terry, just like hey, you know, you're not an atalist celebrity, so people aren't acting like they don't see you. Now it's maybe a little different because maybe Heather I a little more you know, you know what I mean. I don't know, I don't know. People aren't as but people are still very friendly. But whatever. So and then I ran into some negative storylines that were based partly in truth. Like I don't remember what the first really negative thing was about me. It was before it was you know, we're in two chunks, right, the first chunk and we were off and in the second chunk. And then I ran into some some shit that people were saying about me that was about maybe me as a doctor, and it was like whoa, not cool and not true? All right, and now it's like my patients were coming and they're going wow, and I'm going okay, okay. And then right about that time, I got botched. Okay, and here I am. I have my own TV show. It is a giant, at least in my little world, a giant hit. I'm the most famous, let's face it. Right then and arguably now, let's be honest, who's the most famous plastic surgeon in the world. I mean, because plast surgeons aren't on DV so it's not like there are fifty guys doing TV shows and I happen to be the most popular. I'm like, sort of it. I mean, Paul NASSIV is wonderful, but he's a bore, right right, So so here I am, and I'm thinking to myself, why would I ever expose myself to anything negative when I have my own hero show that the producers say to you, Terry, why the razor's edge, say anything you want, we will never make you look bad. And it's like, so I thought, I why would I ever want to film this show again?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: All right? And then and then, as you know, when we go back on it the second chunk I go back on, I go, you know, here, I am the botch doctor. I'm pretty famous, I'm pretty pretty beloved in the plastic surgery world. I'm kind of a little bit of a surgical hero. And we bring on a housewife who sued me to twenty years ago, and it's exploited and evolution botches production company fully leans in and I went, I can't believe you would make a storyline out of me when I'm on your hit show. Yeah, I mean, my show brings in money.
Speaker 2: For them, and it's a housewives show. Why do they make it about us? Why do they make it about you?
Speaker 1: And so it it pissed me off, and I said, I mean when I called them, when they when they exploited that, and they knew it was going on, and of course the producers all live. We didn't know. Yeah, you don't know, yea. And I said, guess what. I quit botched, I quit done. So take your fifteen million a year or whatever you make from the show and erase it for your books because I quit. And of course I said, you know what, I'm a poor acid in my own face. And so I was so mad. And so those are the negative experiences. And then you know, you ma or whatever that thing that puts out this thing that says fancy pads rumor housewife not shooting because she's fighting with her show her husband about cheating, well, not cheating, and she was filming. It was just a lie, and that exploded cheating rumors. And I wasn't really worried about that because it's not true. Whatever, but at the end of the day, it's like, Okay, what good name one good thing about being on Real Housewives of Orange County is there for me? There's only one good thing, and you know what it is, Eddie. You both know what it is. Supporting your wife. That's the only thing you part from that. There's nothing good in it for you for us, right right. I remember telling this. There was this plastic surgeon in Orange County whose wife was going to be on the Housewives. She got the job, she got it, and he says to me, hey, can you go out with drinks for me? With me? And I go sure. The plastic surga is just me and him, and he says to me. He goes, so should I do it? And I go, let me ask you. I go, let me ask you a question. Okay, Heather wanted his wife to do it. I go, let me ask you a question. I go, Is there something in your past that, if it came out, would really hurt your career? He goes no, and I go, Okay, if there's nothing in your past you didn't have, you didn't have. We're accused of sexually doing something, of some criminal behavior, of something, something something that if it came out would have a very negative detrimental effect on your life and your career if there's nothing like that in there, and you're sure there's no skeleton there, even if it was just a bullshit accusation, I said, yes, come on, and the next morning his wife said no, and Heather goes, what did you say to that guy? And I go that guy has something.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I mean we.
Speaker 1: Have a history, we all have a past. And well and by the way, even if you don't, let's say you were, you could say anything you want about a person in a lawsuit, anything, because you can't defame someone in a lawsuit because it's called litigation privileges. I can say anything, I sue you, Eddie, I can say you did anything, and there's no defamation. You'll prove. But once it's out there, once TMZ puts it out there, Eddie, judge did whatever. Even if it was complete, made up bullshit, you know it's out there. And so so now what I do is, I'm sure you do the same thing. I reluctantly, you know, with great you know, pushback film, you know, and and so my rules are of the rules used to be no kids, no careers. Remember that well that since we were off and they brought in the other housewives who said, I'll screw that kids careers and we're going after all of you, all of it come back. You know who I'm talking. You know what I do about right, all right, So that they violated that. So now it seems to be a bit better. Now, see the new, the new, the old generation of sensibility seems to be back. Would you agree a little bit? I do a little bit.
Speaker 2: Yeah. When we came back, I felt a lot more comfortable engaging and and talking. And you know, there's still obviously drama because my wife just knows how to produce it, right awesome.
Speaker 1: So now what I do is I go my new rules. It's always been no kids careers for me anyway, but my new rule is, like, look, there's stuff about one of the housewives that's just come out that's you know, about family and blah blah. You've seen it. I'm not we're not talking about it. Heather would never go there, right, never talk about it, never bring it up because that's kids. Okay, We're not doing kids, all right. And there's lawsuits that are new that we're hearing about. Heather's not going there all right, and so because that might affect careers. But what I try to do is I basically my new rule is you ask me about a housewife you're fighting with in a scene, I won't talk about it. I'll tell you. I'll say, oh, that's a bomber. Yeah, but you want and both of you know this. You want to lose. Go after a housewife, you will lose. So that's my experience. So the good I want to talk about the good. Yeah, the good. The good's awesome. The good's great because everybody knows who you are. Everybody's nice to you. I I'm just gonna be honest. I love being famous. Why not?
Speaker 2: I love.
Speaker 1: You both know what I'm talking about. It's like being the cute chick in high school. Right. Everywhere you go, everybody's nice to you, everybody wants to and let's face it, if you're ever down, okay, go to Vegas and walk around the casino about ten o'clock at night when everyone's hammered the love you. Oh yeah, you'll thank you.
Speaker 2: Hug.
Speaker 1: Yeah. You know. By the way, where do you think Heather or I are going tomorrow? Vegas? Vegas? She goes You want to go to Vegas for a night. I go to be hugged and glck down and beloved, ryry y, Yes night when everybody's hammered. Yes, that's awesome.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I just want to close with your recent health scare. Yeah, I just want to get your take on it. Likes as a doctor, you seem I know a little bit about this story, but you seem a little like resilience and didn't want to go to the doctor, and it was your wife that forced you and made it happen that ultimately saved your life. But growing up as a as a guy, you know, I, like I said earlier, I don't like going to doctors unless my arm's hanging off, you know, and and by a string. I'm not going to go see a doctor.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: So what what happened to you? How'd you get there?
Speaker 1: So it's interesting. I like going to doctors. I like being in a medical environment course because it's my playground. When I used to go to doctors as a kid, I used to like opening up the drawers and looking at this. And I was always the kid who could you know, dissect the cat, you know, check out the bud. Nothing grossed me out? Who did. I could look at who can go what for man? And when it comes to my own health, I'm pretty on it. Okay, but but when I had So we're at the IVY and we're having my IVY meal. If you haven't been in your audience, hasn't been the Ivy on Robertson It's special where. Yeah, and you know, Heather and I met the Ivy. Anyway, So I'm with my son and Heather and long story short, about half a drink in only and I start to slur my words and it lasted for one minute. And I was very excited because I was going to be on Watch What Happens Live with Heather.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Two days later, so we're getting on a plane. I'm going to you know, I'm gonna promote bunch. I get to sit there in the second chair next to Andy. You've done it. It's fun. It's hilarious, super fun. And you know you get to do all the restaurants and the bass. I love New York? Yeah, yeah, I love Is that the greatest thing we get to do? Anyway, So I all this to look forward to. I got a full surgery schedule. Boxes killing it in the race. It was just like, I'm good. You know, I'm having fun. My life is complete. It doesn't get any better. Even at this stage. I'm just enjoying every moment of every minute. And then I live. And then it resolves and Heather lips out, will you stop it? And she goes called Ione, I go, what are you doing? And we're at the ivy. And if you're at the ivy, as you both know, the TMZ bus, you know they we sit there, and we sit at a particular table. It just so happens to be the most visible table from the street. I wondered a coincidence. Yeah right, TMZ always comes by and they stop and Heather goes, don't look, don't look, and I go like this dide, I go, you know, and so I don't nine one one? Are you kidding? And I get pissed. And even though I'm a doctor and I'm I'm Board certified General Surgery Plastics d I'm like the real thing. I know exactly. I didn't really think it was a tia or stoke because it lasted a minute.
Speaker 2: Did you hear yourself slurring?
Speaker 1: Okay, So I felt like it was the ice and I was eating there was guac and tortilla chips, and there was a gimlet and there was ice in the gimmeut and I was like, and it was maybe I was just you know, every one, Oh shit, I got you know, a little overload. And so I just thought I was having trouble manipulating the food. And it was alved completely, nothing, no weakness, no except for the speech. I didn't have any of the others sociated signs right, so she wouldn't stop. She would she was calling nine to one one. And I got pissed, and I went to the bathroom and I came back and the paramedics pulled up. And by the way, I can see the other people at the table with the phones. Yeah, okay, we're at the ivy. So we're arguing, and now we're arguing on camera, okay. And so I'm so pissed and I go and the paramedics walk up and they go, I go, all right, all right, I go down to the parent I get in the paramedic things. I don't want anybody to see me, and I sit down. I go, hey, guys, because you know, and I go, I go take my pressure, what's my pulse? I go check me out. I go totally normal, right, They go yeah. I go I'm fine. They go, yeah, but you were slearning your speech. You probably should go to Cedars, which is right across the street. I go, I'm not going to Cedars, not doing that. I get out. Heather's going, let's go to se I go, I'm not, and I start to run down the streets. What an asshole. And so plus, I'm going to watch what Happens Live. I'm not just going to watch what Happens Live. I'm on watch what happens. Yes, this is like, this is like narcissism. It's like I'm a zoo animal who has me in three weeks and you're like, oh, watch rappens live and get to sit theture.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: And so I go up. So I run down to the four Seasons on doheany? And I call Uber and I go, I'm Audi here. So I get an uber. Heather gets an uber and goes Ounder Life three sixties. He's exactly where I am and follows me, and all of a sudden, three of my best friends, most brilliant doctors I've ever known from UCLA call me. They go, hey man, and I go, what's up? And I go, I go to Heather, call you. They go yeah, I go, so tell me and I go, well, I was slurry. He goes, yeah, sounds like a tia. Dude. He goes, so you know what you know what that means? Blood clot brain, you know, stroke, you know like Clockbusters, you know the Magic hour, sounds like, he goes, and they and I go, nah, hang up on him. And then another buddy of mine, another buddy of mine calls, who's the head of general surgery. You silly, all right? And he goes, hey, Terry, what's going on? And I go, uh, you two? And he goes, what appen? I go, He goes, He goes, yeah, go in go to Sieves. I go, well, I'm now halfway down at Newport Beach. They goes, well, the clock's ticking. If it's I go, it's not a stroke, Chris. He goes yeah, but you don't know, And I go, nah, no, I'll call you later. Hang up on him. And then finally a friend of mine who's a cardiologist, brilliant guy, calls me. He goes, could be a stroke, you know, and he and if you don't do anything about it, you know you're going to be you're not going to be able to ever operate. Tries to appeal to my ability to operate. That's what I learned at Yeah, it didn't work, and so he goes, he goes, he goes, how about this, He goes, don't do it for you, do it for your family. He goes, your wife, your son, your other kids. They're never going to sleep tonight. They're gonna be worried all night. And if you have a stroke, you've ruined them. And I go, okay. Yeah, so that he appealed to, and I go okay. So I went on the Uber app and I redirected him to Hog Hospital. I get into Hog Hospital and they'd let me write in. They put me on the stroke protocol and they get m RI. Normally you'd have to wait three hours. I waited three minutes because I'm on staff, it's my hospital. And so the result comes back on the I go to the nurse, I go, could you bring the computer over? And the er doc wasn't going to wait for him to tell me the result. I go and I put on my clothes. I go, let's go to dinner. Yeah, it's gonna be negative. So I put on my clothes and I'm fully dressed, you know, and I I'm about to take the IV out and I go over to the computer and I go like this, and it says, tia small plot. When I go like this, I go, oh, so I take off my clothes. Heather goes, what I go? I just I think I'm gonna put my gown on. And so I put my gown on and the air doc goes and he goes, yeah. I go yeah. So I they admit me in stroke protocol, which is not fun by the way. So they admit me, and the neurologist comes at three o'clock in the morning and I go, look, I have my carotids scanned all the time. I have my eric arch scan. I don't have a FIB. I have no reason to have a clot go up to my brain and he goes, well, you probably have paroxysmal a FIB, which I know. You know everything. There is no about a FIB. But there's a phenomenon called paroxysmal a FIB that only occurs in your sleep, right, And so I go, listen, I am not a sleeper, all right. If I had a FIB, it would wake me up and I'd never be able to sleep.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And so he.
Speaker 1: Goes, I go, what about a PFO? What about a little hole in my heart? He goes, you're sixty five. You don't have a PFO. So the next day, long story short, I go in for the PFO test and I say to this cardiologist who does that special kind of ultrasound through the esophagus study, and I go, your job, dude, is find a PFO. So he puts me under and I wake up and I look at him and he's this big, cool, funny Asian guy. He looks at me and he goes, SHO, you got a PFO.
Speaker 2: Would you can fix that?
Speaker 1: As you can fix And then with eleven minute procedure they fixed it.
Speaker 2: Nice. Nice. So what did you learn from it? What was a big takeaway?
Speaker 1: Oh? You know, and we made a big deal of it in the media. We try to teach everybody about it. The big takeaway is don't be an asshole. You know, early diagnosis is the best and most important thing you can do. Right, The best thing you can possibly particularly with something like cancer, is early diagnosis. But heart disease number one killer of men and women of all age, you know, So do your thing. I could talk to you for an hour about this, but you know, be smart, get checked out, and if you have any signs of a stroke, right, weakness, severe headache, dys ar three. You know you can't speak, arm numbness, get your ass in the hospital because they can. They can bust that cloth before it kills parts of your brain.
Speaker 2: Okay, is there a regular health test you can do to know your levels, know your cholesterol, know your blood pressures and stuff like that.
Speaker 1: I think I think everyone should become cardiac health aware by the time they're forty. You should know your total cholesterol, your LDL, your HDL. You should get on a treadmill and be tested and see because stress tests, you know, because that's the number one thing we all need to worry about forty forty five, fifty to fifty five and then after that, you know, and then simultaneously start working up for early cancers.
Speaker 2: It's great advice. Man.
Speaker 3: First of all, I got to say it's my favorite interview.
Speaker 2: I know you're not say that.
Speaker 1: Thank you.
Speaker 3: I just love how direct you are, how transparent, you are. So much fun filming this, like, seriously, it was I was just having a blast listening to you.
Speaker 1: It was so entertaining. So thank you so much, my player. I appreciate you. Guys were great, guys, were very easy. It was like, you know, having a drinks with you guys, just what I would want. Thank you, I told you yeah, fun, super fun, super fun and by the way, so much which we're talking about my favorite subject.
Speaker 2: Yes, we are me you.
Speaker 1: Massive that I love it.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much Terry for coming on. It's great chatting with you and catch nothing, getting to know you more. I know there's a lot more about you that I don't know that i'd love to know, and we'll do that over dinner and drinks.
Speaker 1: I love to I look forward to seeing you soon and i'd love to see you soon. My man Edward is as well too. We should hang out all right. I'd love to thank you Terry. I'll see you guys.
Speaker 2: Bye bye