Speaker 1: The following is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 2: Cowboys.
Speaker 3: This is Mick Shot screaming.
Speaker 1: Live on Dallascowboys dot Com and the official Dallas Cowboys at now Here are Bill Jones, Everson Walls, and Nicky Spagnola, and it's.
Speaker 4: Time for a Tuesday edition of mixed Shots inside the SWBC podcast studio. Here at the Beautiful Star in Frisco, Bill Jones, Mickey Spagnola and sitting in for the vacationing Everson Walls.
Speaker 2: I got good looking people in the room, in the wrong room. How you doing right?
Speaker 3: How are you all right? The grand entriest, so he's talk just to get.
Speaker 2: Talking with Nate Man. He said, Hey, it's twelve o'clock. Oh damn.
Speaker 3: So he just tried calling.
Speaker 5: So technically is ever so late?
Speaker 3: I think so?
Speaker 6: I am?
Speaker 3: I am a little bit ourselves?
Speaker 2: Oh yes, Plus I just heard it.
Speaker 7: He says, be on time, on time late, that's the deal.
Speaker 5: On time, that's right.
Speaker 3: That was Joe Avazano's philosophy too.
Speaker 2: By the way, ten minutes.
Speaker 5: Early legendary Eddie Robinson.
Speaker 4: All right, so here we are and Savannah welcome to mix shots. Yet lest at least Savannah wasn't in your.
Speaker 8: Seat exactly, I steered clear, I'm over here.
Speaker 5: And you can find Savannah on social media too.
Speaker 8: You can sports savvy with the underscore after it.
Speaker 5: All right, we're good savvy.
Speaker 2: There you go.
Speaker 4: Finally we got to sports savviness in the room for mixed shots.
Speaker 3: Yes, because we're so far behind on all that stuff.
Speaker 5: That's right, that's right.
Speaker 4: Okay, we saw some football last night and we got Is that.
Speaker 3: What it was?
Speaker 2: Oh? You guys were so bored?
Speaker 9: Well I was.
Speaker 4: I was text each other during Actually I was on the elliptical and I was not watching, And I get it. It was a group text and we need to add sports savvy to text.
Speaker 5: Now. Yeah, what was the comment, Mickey?
Speaker 10: I said, these have to be the worst two games I've watched simultaneously in my life.
Speaker 4: And when I got off the elliptical, I said, and ever sudden, this comes from a man who's watched a whole lot of Missoo.
Speaker 10: Football, not Missoo football, NFL foot.
Speaker 2: It was off.
Speaker 3: Did you watch them?
Speaker 2: Both of them? I was bored? Yeah?
Speaker 10: I have you ever seen more fumbles, interceptions.
Speaker 4: Bad pass teams that go against the Cowboys this year football.
Speaker 10: Both games past what at one time, it was like one was eleven to ten and the other one was thirteen ten thirteen nine.
Speaker 7: I think the main thing was it was very methodical. It was both games extremely methodical. You didn't see any really big plays offensively. Defensively you did, but offensively you didn't. I mean the drives, the drives that you need. Okay, we're ended the half, we're end of the game. You know they're throwing like five yards of the time. It was like watching Witting all over again when it used to be here with that by two touchdowns. It was like, hey, let's go through a three yarder to Jason Whitten.
Speaker 2: That's the kind of stuff.
Speaker 3: That was the only thing they can complete.
Speaker 7: And thus last night's situation as well, Holy that's all they can.
Speaker 5: They look nice when you get to watch the Cowboys.
Speaker 2: And everything, right, it's excited.
Speaker 5: Just think.
Speaker 2: I just think creating stuff.
Speaker 10: People need to watch that stuff and understand when they get that the Cowboys look at what's going. Neither one of those teams are I don't know all four of them offensive line problems. They couldn't block Deshaun Watson's he's missing passes by ten yards.
Speaker 3: I mean they weren't just incomplete, they were inoperable.
Speaker 7: And the commentators were doing their best, yes to try and make the game.
Speaker 2: Watch the look at the defense the defense played, well, that's why he did that.
Speaker 10: Nope, nope, I mean the first play of I forgot which game was first.
Speaker 5: It was Pittsburgh Carolina Carolina New Orleans.
Speaker 10: In New Orleans, and then the other game, which was that with the one the first versus Pittsburgh.
Speaker 7: Car apologized to you. He said I should play better. I'm gonna play better. So that was his apologies, and.
Speaker 5: Deshaun Watson said the same thing. You know.
Speaker 4: When I started watching, uh, it was when the Dealers defense looked like the Cowboys defense.
Speaker 5: Ry Smith had the strip sack and t J. Watt picked up the football, and so it was really exciting. When I started watching the game, I thought I was watching Michael watching the Cowboy.
Speaker 3: If you want a disaster to watch.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that was awful. Okay, all right, well we're talking.
Speaker 10: We got two more next week too, because ABC doesn't have anything new on television, so they picked up a football game.
Speaker 3: So you're not you're.
Speaker 5: Not a fan of multiple Monday night.
Speaker 3: No, it's fine games because there's least things to watch.
Speaker 4: Well, that's I think that's why they made it multiple games, because the Monday night schedule wasn't strong enough for bucking eight month and so to choose between, and so they Choseland.
Speaker 3: Had a lot of.
Speaker 4: By the way to the record stands intact, and I think Bill Belichick probably had a celebratory phone call to Nick Saban after the game last night when Cleveland lost. The last time the Cleveland Browns started a season two and zero was nineteen ninety three, when Bill Belichick was the head coach and Nick Saban was the defensive coordinate.
Speaker 3: Were you starting.
Speaker 2: Three? Yeah? Yeah, okay, of.
Speaker 5: Course he was starting.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: That's why I asked.
Speaker 5: You're talking to a future Hall of Fame.
Speaker 2: Of course he was.
Speaker 3: Should already have been a Hall of famers.
Speaker 2: You're looking at it.
Speaker 4: Leaving up to Bill Belichick. What did Bill Belichick tell Gil Brandt a couple of years ago the Hall of Fame ceremony?
Speaker 5: He said, you know who needs to go in next?
Speaker 2: Everyone was hell bound on getting me in.
Speaker 5: That still is still all right.
Speaker 4: So Savannah is here and ready to take your tech messages.
Speaker 2: Is that right?
Speaker 3: I am ready?
Speaker 4: I'm ready. Eight one seven two nine oh three two nine eight is the highly popular Cowboys podcast text line and Mickey, do we have permission to open up the phone lines?
Speaker 5: Sure we can do that, okay? Eight eight eight eight.
Speaker 4: Five five two two nine seven is the phone number if you'd like to talk with each of us here, scold us whatever you.
Speaker 2: Would like to do.
Speaker 3: Chrisken multitask you think so?
Speaker 5: Yeah, police producer Supreme right again? Ah, there you go? All right, Mickey? What do you have on your legal pad?
Speaker 10: I don't know why it was like breaking news yesterday when the Cowboys released Ronald Jones. In my mind, he got released before he even was suspended.
Speaker 3: He wasn't going to make this team.
Speaker 10: After they drafted Duce Vaughan and we saw in training camp what Deuce was going to do? He to me in my mind watching practice, and then he got hurt.
Speaker 2: He was the fourth You said he was going to get suspended.
Speaker 10: No, he did get suspended. Remember two games, the first two games I said, before.
Speaker 3: He got suspended, I said, they they in their.
Speaker 4: Mind, and in my mind, he wasn't going to make the team when they signed him. A better a minimum contract unless there was an injury, right, Yeah, he was.
Speaker 5: He was insurance policy.
Speaker 2: I was.
Speaker 7: I was just hoping he could bring some pop, you know, to our third and short, yeah, and fourth and goal, those kinds of things.
Speaker 4: Things played out the way in the preseason, the way the Cowboys hoped it would play out, right, with Tony Poller being healthy, and because we got to keep in mind that when Ronald Jones was signed in the off season, we didn't know for sure where Tony Poller was going to exactly to start training camp. Unfortunately, obviously he was ready to go and this and got thirty two touches in the second game of the season to show how.
Speaker 5: Ready he was. And then Rico Dudell, you know, won the d deuce.
Speaker 4: Fun won their positions like the Cowboys had anticipated they would.
Speaker 10: And they still wanted to keep Malik Davis on the practice squad. But the first, the first key to you, guys, he signs a one year deal for one point two million, so that was telling you that he signed a veteran minimum. He got one hundred and fifty two thousand dollars signing bonus, which is the most you can get a guy if you want to sign him to the veteran minimum. They did guarantee him three hundred and two thousand, five hundred, but when you take away the one hundred and twenty one thousand that he lost on the two game suspensions, so from a dead money standpoint, he only cost him three hundred and thirty four thousand dollars. So yeah, I always say it, right, follow the money, that's right.
Speaker 3: And you see how I mean.
Speaker 10: You know, Tchuma Doga was kind of in that same boat. And you know, if they didn't have anybody else that had any when they lost, well, let's go, they lost ball, he might have been gone too.
Speaker 4: And the issue for Tuma in his NFL career, he was a third round draft pick, started eight games with the Jets is rookie season, is he's been injury prone throughout his time in the NFL. And sure enough, he's been injury prone in the short time he's been here in Dallas so far.
Speaker 10: Right twice now right, so, initially in training camp when he missed a bunch of practice and now with the elbow, which I guess.
Speaker 3: Brings us to the injuries.
Speaker 10: If you're listening to Mike McCarthy, yesterday Jerry Jones this morning, it sounded like Zack Martin's probably not going to practice tomorrow, but he's going to play.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: He didn't practice all training camp.
Speaker 5: And he came in for victory formation, right, he.
Speaker 10: Did right exactly so ankle and he even said after the game it was like, yeah, I'll be back.
Speaker 7: You can see where he kind of reinjured it. He was limping badly. Everybody's looking back on the ground that's where he was doing one of those goal line plays and thank god he got up right.
Speaker 10: Yeah, So anyway, and I think Truma maybe later in the week.
Speaker 5: I want to know about Tyler Smith.
Speaker 3: Tyler Smith is getting close, so I think.
Speaker 5: Last week he was getting close.
Speaker 10: He may have a chance, let's put it that way. He didn't have a chance last week. I think that was just gamesmanship going on. Brandon Cooks, I think has a chance. He had a chance at the end there, but they decided not to and they got You know what happened if you think about this, you guys, it almost turned into a you know how they talk about relief pitchers coming in low leverage situations, Well, they got to see some young offensive line and TJ.
Speaker 3: Bass and awesome Richards in low.
Speaker 10: Leverage situations because the games were kind of in hand by time they played and got a chance to see if what we saw from Jalen Tolbert in training camp was for real, and it was. He came in at what three catches. I had to go back and look, I said, I wonder, when's the last time he caught a pass? Well, it was November twentieth against Minnesota, and he only had a one.
Speaker 5: Or two catches last year and that was a blowout win.
Speaker 3: And that was a blowout win.
Speaker 10: So they got him out there, got him some snaps, so kind of the best.
Speaker 9: Of both worlds.
Speaker 10: You know, you don't have any like season ending injuries, but you got young guys some snaps.
Speaker 4: That's what happens when you get up thirty to ten on a team and forty to nothing on.
Speaker 3: A team, right, yeah, no, absolutely, All right.
Speaker 4: Hey, we've got Mick in Austin next up here on mix shot. Nick in Austin on mix shot. Sounds right to me, Hey, no, Nick, Nick, Yeah, yeah, I'm.
Speaker 11: The first color of the year and I'm the first color to day.
Speaker 5: All right, But you got I was.
Speaker 11: Coming in because I had a couple. First of all, I got a question for Everson. Do you think because I was watching a watching the quarterback obviously still Moore and flower than he used to be. He couldn't get that one guy there, there's no way. But he's still a heck of a corner. But my deal is on the other side with big boy Garrett, was it was it? Yeah, Garrett Wilson was posting him up pretty good too. I'm wondering if you know, if they had a better quarterback with things have been different, uh number one, And on that interception, if you watch it, it looks like they just happen to be lucky to be, you know, just right there, you know, and the ball just came right to him.
Speaker 2: You don't sound like much of a Digs fan.
Speaker 11: Oh No, I mean, you know, he he's great. You know, he's just he he has those dames. You know, they used to.
Speaker 7: Say the same thing about me, Nick, The ball used to just find Ever since, and there's no you know, there's no perfect quarterback.
Speaker 11: There's never gonna be that. I believe, next to quarterback, that's the hardest position to play.
Speaker 7: Now that I agree with you on And let me say this, Nick, let me say this. I was just talking with Nate Newton in the lunch room. Theyre and uh, we were talking about you know, we like to nitpick as former players. We never just say, Okay, this is great, we're perfect team.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 7: We like to look at the things because we were we were diagnosing that manner. We like to look at that games and see where we made our mistakes, not where we did well.
Speaker 2: We always nitpick and look at our mistakes.
Speaker 7: And yeah, there were a couple of times where Diggs was a little bit hungry on the tip pass that DeMarcus Lawrence I believe made on Zach Wilson. Yeah, he was beat on that play. And the confounding thing about that was he had inside help, so there was no reason for him to take the inside move. He should have kept his outside leverage on that play. And yes, you're right, if that would have if that would have not been tipped, it would have been an easy touchdown on Diggs. But when you look at any defensive back in any game, Nick, that's just the way it is. Defensive Backs play forty to fifty plays a game. You're going to cover a wide receiver up and down the field all day.
Speaker 2: Long there are going to be those moments.
Speaker 7: That's why this is a team game, so that when I mess up, my teammates may cover for me.
Speaker 2: And that's what happened with Diggs in the game.
Speaker 10: Also, he mentioned if there was a better quarterback out there. I don't know if a better quarterback would have reduced the amount of pressure the Cowboys put on Wilson. I mean, he may be more mobile than Aaron Rodgers, so let's let's remember that it.
Speaker 7: Would be hard for Aaron Rodgers to come up with protection that would give him more than the three or four seconds.
Speaker 10: And I think we talked about it yesterday on the Gilmore thing. You know, he was trailing.
Speaker 2: And you know, I don't know safety.
Speaker 7: I don't know if they're teaching this not just on this team but around the league. But I see a lot of outside leverage coverage, and I never did like that. Of course, Tom Lander had inside all the time. We gave up sidelines and curl routes because the inside route is just as bad as a deep route. It can go to the house just like it did or if remember Bill was it Billy Waddie nineteen eighty Yeah, right.
Speaker 2: They lost?
Speaker 7: Uh was it overtime at the end of a ball game, Billy Whitey catches one going across the middle, Cowboys versus Rams, and that's when Tom Landry changed the way defensive backs played on his team against with the flex.
Speaker 10: And it would have helped on that play. By the way, if hooker comes up.
Speaker 7: And may angle, I'm assuming that's what Gilmore was expecting.
Speaker 2: I'm assuming that right.
Speaker 4: All right, we're just getting started on this edition of Mixshaw's Michael in California will be up next. We're taking your text as well. Eight one seven two nine oh three two nine eight is the text line, and we're back in a moment.
Speaker 6: I'm Dak Prescott, quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys, and they.
Speaker 12: Snapped the press guy who looks right, it's not there. He escaped Flefft. He'll want for a first down.
Speaker 6: Just like football, when it comes to crypto, it's important to have a team you can trust. With Blockchain dot Com, I know I'm in good hands. Since twenty eleven, they've been trusted by millions around the world to buy, sell, and trade crypto currency.
Speaker 12: Prescott's gonna run thish in shelf, run it up the middle.
Speaker 6: Any stores, whether you're new to crypto or an active trader, They've got you covered.
Speaker 2: What are you waiting for?
Speaker 6: Get started at blockchain dot com.
Speaker 13: You know that sound anywhere.
Speaker 14: It's the crisp crunch, that first nacho chip with its perfect cheese to sour cream ratio sitting atop a layer of delicious beans. It's a sip away from perfection. That's what we're looking for. Add a delicious, refreshing pepsi, and we've achieved absolute nacho nirvana. Because while you can pile those nachos high with every spicy, cheesy, savory topping, there's no topping of cool pepsi.
Speaker 13: Finish nachos better with pepsi. That's what I like.
Speaker 15: The Medal of Honor is our country's highest military award for valor in combat. More than forty million individuals have served in the armed forces since the Civil War. Fewer than four thousand have received the Medal of Honor. The National Medal of Honor Museum will be a place to preserve these legacies and inspire America. It's being built right next door to the Dallas Cowboys in Texas. Help us honor our country's greatest heroes. Learn more and get involved at Mohmuseum dot org.
Speaker 9: Cowboys Football and Miller Lite.
Speaker 16: What a pairing can cracks a kickoff tailgates going way past postgame Sunday night overtimes, followed by.
Speaker 9: Monday mornings Swack Brisket and the Smoker.
Speaker 16: Miller Lite and the Creek, America's team playing America's greatest sporot. Miller Lite, the only beer of the Dallas Cowboys. Dallas Cowboys Football Taste like Miller Time, Celebrate Responsibly twenty twenty three Miller Brown Company, Fort Worth, Texas.
Speaker 9: Dem Shots.
Speaker 8: Waterproofing, the official roofer of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 5: All right, Savannah Hume upgraded?
Speaker 7: Okay, oh, you sound much better than the previous.
Speaker 8: Wow.
Speaker 10: One person he likes me on this show.
Speaker 4: Savannah, we need to hear about Savannah. Okay, where are you from?
Speaker 8: I was born in Denver, but grew up in San Diego, California. All right, but I've been in Dallas for a few years now to what the University of North Texas?
Speaker 2: All right?
Speaker 13: Yes, all right, I.
Speaker 2: Went to u n T.
Speaker 7: Oh my god, my two sisters, my niece, my son, Oh my goodness, just so many people want.
Speaker 10: To here's the best part of where she lived, right, skiing and surfer.
Speaker 5: Ye, there you go.
Speaker 3: How about that, that's the both world.
Speaker 4: That's sports savvy, right there you go, all right, sports savvy.
Speaker 5: We have a text, right.
Speaker 8: We have a text. Mike from Boston would like to know if you guys are concerned with Michael Gallup. He feels it's been a long time since Gallup has really done anything.
Speaker 10: Mike McCarthy answered that question, and he sounded like they need to make a point in this next game of getting him the ball, not just calling plays and say okay, we're reading this or reading that. They need to get him involved. And he was kind of pointing out it wasn't his fault. It was just kind of how things played out.
Speaker 7: I thought it looked like they were deliberately trying to get the ball to CD. Yeah, I mean they were calling his plays only that's what it looked like.
Speaker 4: How about from the standpoint, you're moving CD around and Sauce Gardner is only on the one side of the field, and it's an opportunity to you know that Sauce is not traveling with CD, and.
Speaker 5: So you like that those matchups and CD's up against.
Speaker 7: So we created matchups mismatches with with that, and you could tell, yeah, the gallop is ready. I mean, yeah, the ball they threw to him, you could see that athleticism was back just on that one play, which was pretty impressive. He was trying to break out of that and you didn't see that last year from him because you could tell that the knee was still bothering him or whatever he had injured. So yeah, I'm hoping that they do come back to him this game of just the rest of the year, and I'd.
Speaker 10: Have to go back and look because Gardner didn't travel, and when CD was in the slot, you know who was on Gardner's side?
Speaker 3: Was it Gallop? And they took the match up they liked most.
Speaker 10: And then on the other side that they were they were working the DJ read right, it was.
Speaker 2: It was very good though, Yeah, still pretty good.
Speaker 10: But that I think that was the side that Tolbert not. Yeah, Tolbert caught the passes from on those slants, who was good too. By the way, another guy because of injury got snaps in the game.
Speaker 2: Were you surprised that Sauce.
Speaker 7: Didn't follow CD that something happened, because I mean, they are man to man most of the time they weren't playing zone.
Speaker 10: If I recall, you know, all the brilliant people that do the matchups, there was one matchup they wanted us, well, go ahead match up with him.
Speaker 2: Did we know that he would not follow?
Speaker 7: I assume that he would, especially in the game like this one when you have no Aaron Rodgerson, this huge game.
Speaker 5: They watched enough about the Jets.
Speaker 4: But I assume that maybe he's always he's still young in his career. Lookie last year and maybe anything the New York fans, right, but maybe they they left him at that one spot all last year.
Speaker 5: I don't know.
Speaker 3: Maybe he doesn't like the slot.
Speaker 2: You know, when you when you're a baller, you a ball You got where the man is. If he if they move him, you go with him.
Speaker 7: We've had those moments, especially on third downs with the Cowboys. We didn't really travel much, uh in the zone and man, of course we did, but yeah, you got it.
Speaker 4: And he didn't travel with Stephan Diggs. A week before Monday Night, all right, Michael in California, you're next up here on mix shots. Hello Michael, Goodbye, Michael.
Speaker 3: It's a long distance.
Speaker 2: He's coming back. Come on here, you come on, Mike, maybe not maybe trying to find that new button.
Speaker 5: Okay.
Speaker 4: One of the big things that the so called experts like to do in the true experts like to do it too early in the season, especially power rankings.
Speaker 5: In the NFL.
Speaker 4: And for those of you not watching the video here on Mixed Shots, you did not see the roll of the eyes for Mickey Spagnola when I mentioned power rankings.
Speaker 5: So who do you.
Speaker 4: Think might be the number one ranked power ranking team in the National Football League through two weeks of the season.
Speaker 5: Who would you put number one?
Speaker 7: I would put the Cowboys, but I know that the league may put the Niners.
Speaker 5: And I'm just throwing it out there.
Speaker 4: I haven't even seen them power I haven't seen her, but I'm going to assume.
Speaker 3: Like a good lawyer, he's supposed to know the answer.
Speaker 5: But I'm going to assume that through two weeks. The knee jerk reaction that is typical.
Speaker 4: Of observers normally is the Cowboys will be number one power rank.
Speaker 10: I still think it's they would do San Francisco and I haven't seen anything.
Speaker 7: I think because we've been here before, you know, I think they're afraid.
Speaker 4: Well, why wouldn't they do Philadelphia because they Ladelphia.
Speaker 2: They don't look good yet.
Speaker 10: You know it's coming, but they isn't Atlanta to and oh two, Bill, I actually did this last week.
Speaker 17: By the way, I took ten power rankings around the NFL. You did, like NFL, ESPN, CBS Sports and so on, so all the big ones. Okay, So I put everybody's power rankings into a top ten. So then I gave everybody a point system. You know, tim is one.
Speaker 5: Did you publish this or is this no? I just did this on my bare.
Speaker 6: He's good all this time. I have on my hands, got kids, so yeah, so yes.
Speaker 17: So the number one team throughout the whole league was San Francisco. They had ninety seven points, which eight eight number one, and it was Philadelphia and then Dallas, Kansas City, and Miami. So we did get one number one vote, and that was from the Athletic gave us the number one vote.
Speaker 5: John Machoda gave us the number one vote of the Athletic. Right, well, I would imagine that.
Speaker 2: Sounds part of the course.
Speaker 17: PFF gave Kansas City the number one vote.
Speaker 4: Producer Supreme, Since you are on the air right now, you told me a caller's name and where they're from. A.
Speaker 5: Let's go to a.
Speaker 3: Hopefully we do better on the text y.
Speaker 5: Maybe maybe Savannah needs to handle the phone call Alex in Arkansas.
Speaker 2: Your next job could with my friends, Hey, Alex, I.
Speaker 18: Good after, and Bill everything and Mickey and Savannah. I listened to you guys every day at lunch because you guys come on the same time I get my lunch break from twelve to twelve forty.
Speaker 2: Perfect, perfect everything.
Speaker 6: Man.
Speaker 18: The only thing you and Darren Woodson did wrong is that you all wore the Cowboys uniform. If you played for the sud been in a long time ago, are you?
Speaker 2: Did he say Steelers Steelers? You're a Steelers fan? No, I'm no.
Speaker 10: He just.
Speaker 2: Get it. I get it. Yeah, or Rais or Raiders or yes.
Speaker 16: Yes.
Speaker 18: So I'm telling you everything I enjoyed. I'm a long time Cowboys fan.
Speaker 2: I went to the one.
Speaker 18: And fifteenth season, so you know what I'm talking about.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was tough.
Speaker 18: That So for my point, yes, my point is, I can't remember the last time I watched back to back Copboys games this stress free. At no point in these two games I thought we was in trouble of losing this game. I am so it is so refreshing to see that the team is pulling together and not against each other. What I mean by that is that the coaches on the offensive side it's smart enough to recognize right now the strength is the difference because if I give you, if I give you five turnovers and you give me four back, then you only gained in one. And that's what was happening in the past. And I just I thought Mike McCarty would do a greater job because of his experience, not that Kellen Moore is not a great offensive coordinate. I think him and that age is too close, and Mike McCarthy would know better what to do. I play situational football and this is exactly what And so man, I am happy. I enjoyed listening to you guys, and y'all have a blessed and always go Cowboys.
Speaker 2: Thank you Adams. I love that he had this food. He has lunch with him. That's good.
Speaker 3: Well let's put it this way.
Speaker 10: So the Cowboys are two and oh and I went back to check the previous two and ohs.
Speaker 3: And this is the third time they've been at least two and oh to start a season since two thousand and eight. They were two and oh.
Speaker 10: In twenty they were three and oh and twenty nineteen, and two and oh in twenty fifteen before Tony Romo got hurt and then they lost seven straight.
Speaker 3: So don't take two and o for granted, Like, Okay, they do this all the time and then fail.
Speaker 2: I am surprised that it's so few times.
Speaker 10: Yeah, I was too, But the reason I looked tot is because everybody was making a big deal out of my Karthy having lost all the season openers since he's been here, and this was the first time he won the season opener.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I had a feeling Keller Moore's name would come up. You could see the difference though. I mean, we weren't trying to necessarily go down the field a whole lot of times, but you saw where we didn't take our foot off the gas, but we changed our mo you know, we made sure that we were going to run the ball, run the ball, run the ball, wear these guys down to make sure that we didn't make any mistakes. And having said that, the Jets are a tough defense, right to run down and they kept softening them up every time with Tony Pollard and also with the other.
Speaker 3: On twenty five carries.
Speaker 7: Yes, that's impressive, and you didn't get much of a yard per average, right, But at the same time, you got a lot of work in from your offensive linemen and they were able to go forward and pound those defensive linemen. I think they felt a lot better that they went past blocking so much doing this part of the game, when last year that's what they were doing. This time they're going forward, and we talked about how offensive linemen love to go forward, especially lay in the ball game.
Speaker 4: All Right, Alex went down memory Lane nineteen eighty nine, and we're going to go down Cowboys Cardinals memory Lane with ever Sin when we come back on mixed shots.
Speaker 2: And just all my life.
Speaker 15: The Medal of Honor is our country's highest military award for valor in combat. More than forty million individuals have served in the armed forces since the Civil War. Fewer than four thousand have received the Medal of Honor. The National Medal of Honor Museum will be a place to preserve these legacies and inspire America. It's being built right next door to the Dallas Cowboys in Texas. Help US honor our country's greatest heroes. Learn more and get involved at mohmuseum dot org.
Speaker 9: Cowboys Football and Miller Lite. What a pairing can.
Speaker 16: Cracks a kickoff, Tailgate's Going Way Pass, postgame Sunday Night overtimes, followed by Monday Morning Swagger, Brisky and the Smoker, Miller Light and the Cup, America's team playing America's greatest sport.
Speaker 9: Miller Lite the only beer of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 16: Dallas Cowboys Football taste like Miller Time, Celebrate Responsibly twenty twenty three, Miliberwan Company, Fort Worth, Texas.
Speaker 6: I'm Dak Prescott, quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 12: As they snapper the crushdout who looks white, it's not there. He escape flapped. He'll walk for a hunched down.
Speaker 6: Just like football. When it comes to crypto, it's important to have a team you can trust. With blockchain dot Com, I know I'm in good hands, says twenty eleven. They've been trusted by millions around the world to buy, sell, and trade cryptocurrency.
Speaker 12: Prescot's gonna run this ship show, run it up the middle, and he scores.
Speaker 6: Whether you're new to crypto or an active trader, they've got you covered.
Speaker 2: What are you waiting for?
Speaker 6: Get started at blockchain dot com.
Speaker 13: You know that sound anywhere.
Speaker 14: It's the crisp crunch, that first nacho chip with its perfect us to sour cream ratio sitting atop a layer of delicious beans. It's a sip away from perfection. That's what we're looking for at a delicious, refreshing pepsi, and we've achieved absolute nacho nirvana because while you can pile those nachos high with every spicy, cheesy, savory.
Speaker 13: Topping, there's no topping of cool pepsi. Finish nachos better with pepsi. That's what I like.
Speaker 3: Shots.
Speaker 8: Dallas Cowboys Game Time powered by Lenovo, the official gaming platform and community of the Dallas Cowboys. Sign up now to compete in Madden twenty four for a chance to win two tickets and a VIP experience to a twenty twenty three Dallas Cowboys home game. Qualifiers begin on October sixth and run through the thirteenth. Learn more and register at Dallascowboys dot com today.
Speaker 2: All right, so professional, yes boy, it's just such a change.
Speaker 4: Savannah Hugh Moler has joined us on mixed shops to save the day, God.
Speaker 3: Ice Bag Nola recruiting ability.
Speaker 4: It's Mickey the recruiting coordinator saved. I'm getting so much abuse reading this stuff.
Speaker 3: All right, Yeah, I'm gonna take it.
Speaker 4: Back, Savannah. We're going to go back in Cowboys Cardinals history.
Speaker 5: Here. The caller Alex in.
Speaker 4: Arkansas brought up nineteen eighty nine, and there was a road game in Phoenix.
Speaker 2: Have we nothing else to talk about?
Speaker 5: It just it just occurred to me. What you brought up nineteen eighty nine?
Speaker 2: It would ring yeah, right.
Speaker 5: It was not a good season.
Speaker 4: And but the story after the game it was a Cowboy actually took the lead late and then the Cardinals won the game on a touchdown pass to Ernie Jones. It's like twenty four to twenty something. And then what happened after the game, Actually they.
Speaker 3: Took the lead twice.
Speaker 7: They did, Yeah, and it happened, and it was twice the same guy game quarterback. It wasn't a guy what was the stud's name, number sixteen plumber.
Speaker 3: It was Tupa Tupa.
Speaker 7: It wasn't the start that Yeah, Tom Tupapa was then for his punting ability, and he comes in We're playing cover too, and man, he lights us up on my side of the field. Uh twice two man and two zone and uh man, Jimmy was smoking.
Speaker 2: Boy.
Speaker 7: We were just like, okay, game's over. Uh damn tough loss, you know, shucks with all that stuff. And we're just talking to the guys out in the field and talking with Roy Green, who didn't get to play that much, who was usually the guy running by me. Yeah, on that side of the field, but he didn't play, and so we weren't even talking about the game, but got into a conversation. He looks over my shoulder he goes, hey, I think your coach is talking to you, because Jimmy was being laid off, you know, with the marshals or whatever.
Speaker 2: And I turned around, what's going on? What's happening here?
Speaker 10: Man?
Speaker 3: Fratized.
Speaker 2: I didn't even know what that word meant at the time. Jeez, real quick. Then I chased him because he said it again.
Speaker 7: I chased him, and I remember the the telecast, that's the last thing they saw they saw was me running after him as.
Speaker 2: We cursed each other out going down the corridor.
Speaker 7: And uh, I always say, the ironic part of it was you're talking about fraternizing. The only thing that separated us from just spitting each other's faces was Eugene Lockhart and Earl Ferrell, who Cardinals and linebacker for the Cowboys. They were hugging each other walking down the card and that's the only thing that separated Jimmy and I. So I thought that was a bit ironic. We're talking about fraternizing. The only thing that stopped us from fussing about it was two guys hugging each other from opposite teams.
Speaker 10: Well, the the other part of the story was the guy that was supposed to be helping out.
Speaker 3: And I don't mean to throw him under.
Speaker 7: The bus, but Vince albre was the safety, apologized.
Speaker 10: And he was supposed to come over and help out, and he was late getting there both times.
Speaker 2: Both times right.
Speaker 10: And the weird thing of the game, as I remember, was that Troy had his best day as a rookie. He threw for three hundred and some yards, and I think at least one, if not two, were two Dixon.
Speaker 5: I forgot his number, eighty six, James Dixon.
Speaker 10: James Dixon, and he burned them after they took the lead on the first one. Each passed you and he threw one and got almost knocked out of the game to Dixon again, and they took the lead the second time.
Speaker 3: And the story on Dixon, I'll never forget this. The next year.
Speaker 10: He had suspect hands, okay, but he was a speedster.
Speaker 3: He could run.
Speaker 10: So the next year they started working him at running back, at tailback, right, And so I remember we asked Jimmy about Dixon going the tailback and he said, sometimes it's safer to hand him the ball than throw it to him.
Speaker 7: Yeah, to extend our fiasco with me and Jimmy because he's still hot, I mean that night and then going to the next day, he has a radio show, and you know, at the time, everybody had radio shows, and so he's going on we were at the time, we were Tony Roma, Tony Romas, Yeah, and they used to feed us all the time. So all the guys were there and Michael Downson got cut and gotten cut the year before he decides to join us anyway, because you know, we were still buddies and all of us were there, and he goes, hey, man, Jimmy just got through killing you.
Speaker 2: On the radio.
Speaker 7: And I was like, oh, really, because I thought you know, we were, we were done with it. And what they didn't realize was they knew it. But I had a radio show as well, and it aired right after Jimmy's show, and so it was dicey and of course I'm with Randy Galloway, the best, the best radio partner you can't ever have. Randy was so cool and he's like, all right, let's go get into it. We got He knew I was gonna come out blasted, so I came out with both barrels man smoking. But yeah, it wasn't good for either one of us. And whether I said anything or not on the radio, I don't think it was a magic that he was going to replace me anyway, right, but.
Speaker 3: That was the final straw.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was it.
Speaker 4: But if you if you look up the word frightternize in the dictionary, you will see a picture of ever so Long.
Speaker 2: With Jimmy in the background.
Speaker 10: So that lost ended up being did they play him twice that year?
Speaker 2: No? Just once, I think, And what really hurt not just no?
Speaker 10: No, you did you played them twice that year? That was the second time got beat twenty four to twenty. But it was the game following the only win of the season.
Speaker 2: That's the point. That's the point.
Speaker 7: And and you know he's like, you know, I know he was upset because you know, we had a little thing, you know, we could have had a little run going, and that's what everybody was looking forward to it.
Speaker 4: Because there was no first round draft pick to play for because they'd already used that that draft pick.
Speaker 2: And we were and eight that game.
Speaker 7: We were and eight before that game, and uh that was against the Redskins of the wed Skins at the time, right, And that's when when we went in the locker room and he goes he was just yelling, yelling, like Jimmy, we're oh and eight. I said, well, one in eight, what are you expecting to happen here?
Speaker 2: Boy? That's all he hung on to a roll. Now, yeah, he thinks we're getta eight and eight to the playoffs. Like, bro, we couldn't even make eight and eight at the time.
Speaker 10: But you know what, though, the next two games you got beat twenty four to twenty. Then you and I was not on the field Miami seventeen fourteen the field, and then there was seemingly some momentum and it was Thanksgiving and Philadelphia came in twenty seven nothing.
Speaker 5: Yeah, the bounty bull.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes it was.
Speaker 7: Jimmy has been throwing me under the bus ever since, so ever since.
Speaker 4: If the trade deadline had not passed, ever since, you would have gotten traded.
Speaker 2: Probably, I'm surprised that got shot.
Speaker 5: He's gonna get something for you, right.
Speaker 2: You didn't get much the next year a couple of times.
Speaker 4: And so the rest of the story is everything goes on to the New York Giants and they win.
Speaker 5: The Super Bowl.
Speaker 2: I mean so when you look at it all, hey, life is life.
Speaker 5: And then the Cowboys wound up going.
Speaker 2: Super everybody's cool. Everybody's cool. It all worked out.
Speaker 5: There's no ill feelings here.
Speaker 2: Let's stop right there. Stop.
Speaker 3: Savannah's got to see this side. And I think she has a text message.
Speaker 2: That's what I do.
Speaker 8: Arthur from Spring Texas would like to know that. Is it possible that Mike McCarthy is being a good poker player with being conservative with the run game?
Speaker 2: I do.
Speaker 10: I think there was something to it at the goal line. I don't think he wanted to tip his hand.
Speaker 3: I think he had some plays that they.
Speaker 10: Wanted to use, and uh, you know, they had some plays that should have worked right.
Speaker 3: You mentioned Hendershot.
Speaker 2: Yep, and you missed, you miss missed, missed it.
Speaker 10: Miss missed Ferguson. And there was the.
Speaker 3: Play with.
Speaker 2: Ric O'Donnell which had to jump jump cut.
Speaker 3: Yeah, jump cut. You don't jump cut from the one yard line. You jumped back two yards if you so.
Speaker 7: When you when you think about it, those were at least two more opportunities where for to come away with touchdown.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And they weren't fancy plays either, So I.
Speaker 7: Think once he saw that they could work, right, that's all they needed to see.
Speaker 3: And then and then when you're up the way they were up.
Speaker 4: By the way, there was a pass on the sideline that Sauce Gardner could have picked off earlier.
Speaker 5: In the game.
Speaker 4: And that was the only way play like that was the only play, only way that the Jets were going to get back.
Speaker 7: I talked about that play, but better because that's how he.
Speaker 3: Was trying to throw it away. He couldn't, he couldn't throw it away. He needed to throw one of the Deshaun Watson.
Speaker 7: But at that time, yeah, I still thought, and I told Nate this, I still thought we could have won the game anyway, even if he would have given right, Yeah.
Speaker 3: But that was close, absolutely all right.
Speaker 5: We're out of time on this. Doesn't that go fast?
Speaker 10: We're going to stop all the time change. We might have text messages all piled.
Speaker 5: Up over there. We probably have it from weeks before. It's the first time.
Speaker 3: That we just had.
Speaker 5: Let's get somebody younger in here, all right.
Speaker 4: So that does it for a Tuesday edition of Mixed Shots, and everybody's back to work tomorrow. Cardinals week officially starts to work.
Speaker 3: That's right, and we'll be here once again.
Speaker 4: All right, and for all of us here, we appreciate you joining us. And Everson closes the show as Everson always does, will Cowboys.
Speaker 1: This has been a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.