Speaker 1: This is live coverage of the twenty twenty six Steelers training Camp on the Steelers Audio Network, presented by bud Light, Easy to Drink, Easy to Enjoy, and brought to you in part by Pennsylvania one Call Systems Dial eight one one before You dig SNT Bank People Forward Banking by Kalusy Chevrolet, serving the Pittsburgh area for over one hundred and eight years. Clearview Federal Credit Union. For every touchdown the Black and Gold Score in twenty twenty six, Clearview will donate five hundred dollars to the Light of Life Mission. Visit CLEARVIEWFCU dot org and by iron Workers Local Union Number three. We don't go to the office, We build it.
Speaker 2: Good afternoon, Stealer Nation. It's the drive on the Steelers Audio Network. Here on another day of practice, third practice of this twenty twenty six training camp at Saint Vincent College. In the books, Another absolutely gorgeous day here today, Matt and a little.
Speaker 3: Bit toastier, but still beautiful.
Speaker 2: Little little toastier. Absolutely, we're pushing into the pushing into the eighties here today. But it is another gorgeous day. They got work in today before it really got scorching earlier practice today, Matt, and a little bit of a different one with a mock game out there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, certainly things are different than a year ago. And clearly, I think because it's the acclamation period, that's what everyone seems to be focusing on. Is just the structure of practice, how they approach getting better between, you know, enduring while they're out here, something I've never witnessed before, you know, but it makes some sense, you know. I mean, if that counts as an acclamation practice, I think there's wisdom in that.
Speaker 2: First. You know, we were talking to our buddy Chris Adamski at lunchtime and he had a kind of joke of like, I think that was the first time I can ever remember seeing the Steelers practicing without helmets out here.
Speaker 3: He's at the first one in in La Trobe history that they didn't come out with helmets.
Speaker 2: In sixty some years of practice in here, and not a walk through, you know, because they obviously come out without helmets for the walk. Yeah, this is different, but for an actual practice, yes, certainly a little different today. Little mock game today here on acclimation day number three, earlier proceedings, even today than we had seen the past couple of days. So obviously one more of those acclamation practices tomorrow, and then day off on Sunday, and then finally the pads go on on Monday.
Speaker 3: Monday, right, so we'll be doing, like to reiterate this, we'll be doing shows tomorrow, We'll be off Sunday, we'll be back Monday. I expect Saturday and Monday to be really hopping from a fan perspective, and and I think the guys will come out real fired up on Monday. You know, day off, you got those four ey of the way ready to do some hitting, but not Tomblin level hitting, but I mean it definitely will have a different feel to it. But oh on all, I think that there's a lot to be gleaned from practice thus far.
Speaker 2: Now, there certainly is. And one thing you know from today that I wanted to discuss with you was and it's it's something Aaron Rodgers talked about and it's something that I think, again we always say this at the start of camp, but grain of salt, small sample size, but I certainly think we've seen the actions back up the words, and it's more work for the quarterbacks under center. Yes, that's that's something that it felt like was kind of a big talking maybe not a big talking point, but was certainly a talking point this offseason. Yes, Aaron Rodgers discussed that I can't remember it was today or yesterday, and it was kind of like a light bulb thing for me. And it really seems like you when you are just sitting in here observing practice. I told you yesterday, it felt like a lot of footwork specific drills for the quarterbacks. Also seems like they're doing a lot under center, and that that's not coincidence or by accident.
Speaker 3: No, And it's also a league wide trend that I don't think you and I have talked about. And maybe i'll when I get back to the hotel, I might take a peek at some of the not with with them too, because rich Reebar from Sharp Football did a lot of research on this, and we remember like when we were kids, even when you were kids, it was a lot of under center, you know, normal drop, three step drop, five step drop, and then the shotgun got very very prevalent, and then you saw some pistol pistols like split in the two and pistol's kind of gone away. I mean, you're not gaining enough advantage see in the field all those things, and a lot of us as quarterback preference, like Joe Burrow wants to be in a shotgun and survey the scene from there. Rogers has done a lot of both, but the league over the last couple of years has got into more and more behind center. I don't one hundred percent know the reasoning behind it, but play action definitely works better under center. You know, it just sells better, and the numbers reflect that as well when you look at the advanced analytics, and I think Rogers is probably very comfortable with it. You mentioned McCarthy's dressing. Footwork not the footwork doesn't matter. How the shotgun You're not just standing there like a statue and throwing it, you know, but it's certainly more important with the rhythm of the routes and all those things from under center as well. And I think you just sometimes you just get a different I'd love to really talk to a quarterback about it. Some might not care one or another. I know a lot of them definitely have a preference. Some of them, I think, love to see that there's a couple of inches between their offensive linemen and their defensive line. Yeah, and really like you know, get the smell and feel of the game and really see the gaps to attack and things of that nature. And you probably hear a little bit better when Ray Lewis's barking signals. And it doesn't sound like a big deal, But there are definite trends in the league right now that are pushing towards more under center.
Speaker 2: There absolutely is, And you have done a good job of breaking down some of those just cyclical things around the league, and it's all it's you know, you go from heavy defense is to lighter defenses, You go from heavier off lighter offensive personnel to heavier offensive personnel. You go from under center to in the gun to pistol usage, like you mentioned. I wonder, though, Matt, how much of that specifically for the Steelers is what feels like an onus to finally kind of crawl out of the bottom of the barrel of play action success. I was wondering, I wonder how much directly for this team, For this team, this new coaching staff that I'm sure has looked at the numbers over the past couple of years, were what were the Steelers doing well? Where were they struggling all that stuff that they do during the off season, and as you and I have outlined many times, for a portion of time, it was just thought, Yeah, the Steelers are very low in play action usage, very low in play action success. But that's because it's a Ben thing. He doesn't like to do it. He doesn't like to turn his back to the defense. But there's been four seasons now without Ben Roethlisberger and a lot of quarterbacks in those four seasons, and we've seen those numbers and those struggles remain. I wonder how much of that for this new coaching staff is directly tied to we got to have more success in the play action game.
Speaker 3: Now, I would think, and I would think you also want to, you know, be a McCarthy's been a heavy pass verse run play caller over his career, but I also think he's showing some adaptability to the way he sees the game from an offensive perspective. I expect them not to just live in eleven personnel. You're paying Darnell, you're paying Friarmouth. I think they'll be out there a fair amount by themselves that this team has had success with heavier personnel, So I think that he does probably want to amp up the run percentage as opposed to other years. Also, time and possession was a huge problem. Last year. I'm going to say it for thee hundredth time. Fourth quarter defense was horrendous. So maybe if you can be a better run team or a little more run first than he has been and use play action off that in a traditional manner, you could set yourself up for more success. And I know a lot if you've heard this many times, but what Wes was referencing to, which is just really odd, is league wide it's the gap isn't as wide as it was five years or so ago, but when throwing the football, you have more success off play action than not. I mean, that's still a league wide trend by a yard or two. It used to be a two or three yards. Defenses are adjusting, but so weird. For ten years in a row, the Steelers were better not using play action then using it despite it kind of being a cheat code for the league.
Speaker 2: And again, if it was one or two years where you're kind of bucking all the trends, yeah, you can say, hey, outliers happen.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because they're not the only team that were better at it every year, but they're the ones done it multiple years in a row.
Speaker 2: But when it's multiple years in a row, it's multiple quarterbacks in a row, it's multiple offensive coordinators in a row, it just seems like an overarching issue of not being able to make it up.
Speaker 3: It's just a Tomlin thing. I know. There's some people are like, well, there's one trend that's the same.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a head coach. Well, the former head coach.
Speaker 3: But I don't think he was a bad play action head coach.
Speaker 2: That would be that'd be a very specific niche, especially for a defensive mind and head coach. Just that that one's always confused me. It has back to the end of the Ben Roethlisberger tenure, when you.
Speaker 3: Had used to more play action, more play action.
Speaker 2: When you had weapons to like a b and juju. Yeah, Tavis Bryant and Heith Miller and Lev Bell and I mean, you know, more play action, more play action. Especially they really in those kind of final year or two of that Killer Be era. The you know, the Steelers offense went back and forth all the time from being really successful in the red zone or really struggling in the red zone. Now certainly, but that felt like something absolutely. And you know that just once you get into the red zone, particularly once you get into goal to go situations, the space just shrinks so much. Play action might give you the extra half a step, you know, extra half an inch that you need, freezes that.
Speaker 3: Line backer for half a second, or he takes one false step forward someone slips behind him.
Speaker 2: Right, yep, exactly right.
Speaker 3: I always described the red zone like this, like when when I was in grade school and they were teaching us about molecules when you heat them up, you know, like the molecules in a balloon. If it gets hotter and harder, they bounce around faster and faster. Like that to me is like the red zone. You're like, the temperature turns up and all those molecules are in the same space, but they're just bouncing a smaller bunch of smaller you know, area to handle. And some quarterbacks are as.
Speaker 2: Good at It's like a tire pressure on your vehicle. Yeah, get out the heat like this and that tire pressure starts.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it means more.
Speaker 2: You get those those weeks like we had in January. It was single degree temperatures for for three straight weeks. Then all of a sudden, that air starts slowing down.
Speaker 3: I drive the radio station every day. It's like tire pressure low, Like I'm not doing that about it. Come on, it's cold out, I'm not hopping.
Speaker 2: I get out of the car like every couple of days and here we go again, swing by, get go or sheets for some free air. But yeah, no, it's uh, it's just that that's an interesting kind of just other things, you know, just starting with things every day that we're kind of pulling from practice.
Speaker 3: Yeah, your center thing, because I want to pay more attention to that, and I might do a little little homework when I get back and see why the trends are pushing as strong as they are, because I do think the Steelers are starting to get in line with some of the league wide trends with that.
Speaker 2: Yesterday it felt like a lot of footwork specific stuff for the quarterbacks. Today, a lot of under center work. We'll see what Saturday has to bring here, as we will have our final day of acclamation tomorrow.
Speaker 3: And tying into Rogers. He's done both and he's going to be comfortable doing either. He's been in the league for two decades. I mean so, but the other thing about him, which probably goes without saying, back to the play action thing, he sells it very well too. Ben used to do as well. I mean Ben did in love turning his back to the defense to sell the play action. But his ball fakes were good, you know. I mean his ball handling and rogers are quite good too.
Speaker 2: Yes, it is.
Speaker 3: And some quarterbacks kind of go through the motion.
Speaker 2: Yeah you know, no, you gotta have that. It's it's like the art of the pump fake and basketball, right, like anybody could pump fake, but some of those guys.
Speaker 3: Are like Ben's pomp pump fake in the in the pocket.
Speaker 2: I mean, everybody bit everybody bit on that. Yeah, no doubt, get off your feet and that's a good one. That's a good one. Fun show planned for you here today, on this beautiful Friday, as the the afternoon will roll into the evening.
Speaker 3: Rose this year.
Speaker 2: By the way, I was just thinking, like, are these Baltimore ravens.
Speaker 3: Murder of crows have been noticing it? I never noticed crows here before, but every day I've seen more and more.
Speaker 2: One hey, growling Poe hanging out here.
Speaker 3: I think it is coming straight in from Baltimore.
Speaker 2: Coming straight in from Baltimore. A lot of crows flying around. They got the sprinklers out on the field. Now that's the thing, Like send a crow to yeah, yeah, oh yeah, send the raven to Send a raven to uh to wester Ross.
Speaker 3: They released one from the Baltimore facility.
Speaker 2: Send this raven to the troube. Mike McCarthy opens it up, but it's like raven. He crumbles it up and throws it down, sends Steely mcnehan back with a message of his own. Yeah. No, A lot, a lot to get to. Just listen, you know, Baltimore Ravens got spies. They got spies everywhere. They're trying to figure it out. We have got plenty to get to. On the show today, we're gonna do a fun roster exercise in the four o'clock hour, kind of comparing where the Steelers were last year at this point to where they are now. We are gonna have a little fantasy football conversation today as we'll start doing more of that as we get closer and closer to draft season. We have two guest scheduling updates for you, Matt before we got a break here. Okay. The first is our our buddy, Michael McQuaid from from the Steelers Ireland, from NFL Ireland. He's gonna join us on the show here in about twenty minutes. He just got to Pittsburgh this morning. He's been doing like a whole training camp tour of coverage.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so he's just Steelers, not just Steelers.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's done like I think, like Seattle in San Francisco, and I think he did Minnesota, and he's been done a bunch of other training camps. So it'll be fun to talk to him about what he's seen so far. He's here on campus. Oh yeah, he told me he'll be he'll be here around three forty, so we'll uh so we'll I think he's grabbing some lunch now and finishing up, you know, some some video stuff. We'll get his thoughts on the Paris game and and all that, and just uh you know, kind of some some stuff from the from the Dublin game as well, and then we are efforting. We might really finally make it happen, getting someone from the grounds crew up here to talk to us for a couple of minutes. We got our guy TV on it. Tyler V's on it. He's been texting back and forth with with us. He thinks we can make it work. So we'll I don't know about today, okay, but sometime during camp. Sometime during camp, I would I would love to, uh to love to work it out. Maybe tomorrow would be a good day because they have offs. Maybe that's like the way to do it is do it when they have an off day the next day, because then there's probably not as much urgency with what they have going on there when they have a little time for the field to rest and breathe. But we do have some ineras you know it. We do have some encouraging developments in that regard and might be able to get one of these, one of these grounds crew guys to share some of how the sausage is made with us before we get out of here. What about two and a half weeks from now, So plenty of ground to cover today as we roll along. Just getting started here for the special three hour show, our final programming of the day here at Saint Vincent College. Of course, we are in Latrobe High atop Chucknolefield. It's all part of our ongoing training camp coverage Steelers Nation Radio on the Steelers Audio Network.
Speaker 1: This is live coverage OPT twenty twenty six Steelers Training Camp or the Steelers Audio Network, presented by bud Light, Easy to Drink, easy to enjoy, and brought to you in part by your neighborhood Ford Store creator, Pittsburgh Community Food Bank first the National Bank. Let's get started. Remember fdiic suore Hole we modeling, We Imagine by Lee Coom Digital, Don's Appliances Visit Donsappliances dot Com guaranteed lowest prices, free next day delivery, CGR Wholesale and by hass Is Steake in Seahouse has Is Hospitality.
Speaker 2: Ring along here on day number three of training camp practice for your Pittsburgh Steelers. As we were laughing while we were in break, a couple of the people from the Saint Vincent facilities here came in and they're testing all the microphones and all the gear for tomorrow, because tomorrow is a big day on camp, a big day. The Steelers Hall of Honor class will be unveiled tomorrow at ten am. I believe, I believe it's ten am. I think so, tenor ten or eleven am.
Speaker 3: And of course we'll be usure right before practice.
Speaker 2: Yo, y, that's exactly right. So I think it is ten to eleven, and then practice, you know, begins begins shortly after. We'll be carrying all of that here on Steelers Nation Radio. Of course, it'll be uh, you know, team President Art Rooney, the second Bob Labriola, and then I'm not sure there's usually somebody else with him. Maybe it'll be pomp. I think it's been like I think Mary, I think Merrill Hodge has been one of the hosts in the in the past. But that'll be fun tomorrow. And then with that there's usually you know, they'll bring one or two of the Hall of Honor guys out here and give them the microphone, and you know Mike Tom's at least not more right, Yeah, And sometimes the coach will address the crowd for the first Saturday of practices, so he quite a few times, right, Yeah. So they were in here testing out all the microphones and the PA system stuff while we were while we were in break is better work, better work? Hey, it's uh, it's you know, it's.
Speaker 3: If you hear something in the background, it might be the PA.
Speaker 2: Stressful time for all of us this time of year, certainly you know, Matt, but we are we are going to have some fun here with our buddy Michael McQuaid from from Ireland. Uh in this hour. But before he steps into the booth here and joins us, Matt, you know it is getting.
Speaker 3: Closer closer to down there? Something else?
Speaker 2: What is this? We got a tweet from somebody I don't know if you saw it, that said that they loved our our commentary of the ground's crew work and the grass sam Boni. There's like a dress like a drone.
Speaker 3: It's like a robot. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Oh, I guess you're right. It wouldn't be a drunk Yeah.
Speaker 3: Soon there's a remote control for it somehow. Is it mowing anything? What's it doing?
Speaker 2: Is it seed?
Speaker 3: It's running away from everybody?
Speaker 2: Is it like is it like putting seed down? Maybe it's like yeah, it's like a little grass robot.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I tell you what.
Speaker 2: If it's putting down seed, I would like to get one of those that could put down salt for me in the driveway in the wintertime.
Speaker 3: Maybe it's good for a year round.
Speaker 2: Now. Look now, one of the equipment guys is running over to it. Let's see what he does. He's going to intercept it. He's at the fifteen, he's at the ten, he's at the five. Go oh the way finally forced out at the eight yard line. Oh man, it's fun. It's fun taking it all in here and hopefully we'll get a chance. Like it looks like they are.
Speaker 3: They're going along the goal line with it.
Speaker 2: Now down the goal line. It looks like he's got some kind of remote.
Speaker 3: Oh he's painting. Oh my goodness, so it's happening.
Speaker 2: It is a painting robot.
Speaker 3: Wow, that is cool. That's I've never seen the lines like that.
Speaker 2: That's what They probably look a lot straighter than when you used to do them back in the day.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because they brought the paint. I mean, obviously it's paint time because they brought the paint cans and all that. But these must do perfectly straight lines. I would add things. Badass dude, that is awesome.
Speaker 2: It is a it's a tiny little green you know, almost.
Speaker 3: Like a lawnmower without the handle.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, it looks almost like a lawnmower without the handles, a little bit bigger, lime bright lime green, and it is painting the lines in the end zone right now. That's pretty cool. Enough for tomorrow, because there of course tomorrow as welcome the pa. In the background, you might have just heard our guys from Saint Vincent College testing out the microphone back there.
Speaker 3: Oh that thing's cool.
Speaker 2: Here's what I want to know, Matt, is when this thing. So it's doing the it's doing the goal line right now, repainting the white spray.
Speaker 3: Paint, almost done, going across the goal line.
Speaker 2: I wonder when it gets to the end here, is it going to stop? Is it gonna that's going to kill it? I thought the guys, guys aren't That's what I was going to say. I thought the guy in the white bucket hat had like a remoter or an iPad or something.
Speaker 3: He's got something in his hand.
Speaker 2: But they're like, they're very laissez faire about it. They trust this, like they trust this thing and it's all under control. All right. It's getting to the corner here, Let's see what happens. It's gonna turn the corner.
Speaker 3: Okay, it makes the right angle. Looks beautiful, It looks beautiful. Oh look at this. Now it's going to the five yards. It's gonna do the whole fields. So it's on the right it's not coming out like the back of it.
Speaker 2: Yes, so it's not doing any of the hash marks, and it's not doing the sidelines. But it did the entire goal line.
Speaker 3: That guy gave him a little pat on the back, like that job.
Speaker 2: Good hustle, sun job. So it did the It did the whole length of the goal line that came up five yards pivot.
Speaker 3: Oh, I bet it does every five yards.
Speaker 2: How long can we keep this going here of doing play by play of the line paint probably wearing our welcome line painting robot.
Speaker 3: Have you never seen this creed?
Speaker 2: You know? The only thing that bothers me about that, though, is that's just another example of a robot taking a human job, right that this is one of the things that I think robots should do for humans. Paint lines on a football field. That's good.
Speaker 3: They can move my lawn too.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I don't need robots. I don't need robots like driving cars and doing surgery and replacing teachers and some of this crazy stuff. But yeah, they can paint lines in eighty some degree heat. At the end of July and.
Speaker 3: Summer, we had the lawnmowing conversation way back when, like lawnmowers have never changed in my lifetime. Like they've gotten a little better. But lawnmowing technology for the Joe average homeowner, yeah, it hasn't progressed nearly as fast as like the internet or age.
Speaker 2: But I will say though, like a few years ago, I bought an electric powered yeah push mower, and it's a game changer. Okay, Now I don't have a very big yard. If I had a big yard, i'd probably still go gas because I don't know. You pull a handle and you push the thing, don't though, You just press the start button. Wow, fair enough, Okay, you don't have to do gash. You eno have to do oil. You just plug the battery in. Yeah, it's it's nice. But I guess you're right walking behind this thing pushing it. Well, I think they do have like robot type thing. By the way, this is we Shuoler and Matt Williamson on Lawn Nation Radio. Yes GNR not guns Roses Grass Nation Radio. I mean, I guess you're right, aside from the gas to electric portion of it.
Speaker 3: See, I think before long and some listener may be you know that from Carnegie mellon the Technical Department might listen to this be Like, that's a great idea, Matt. I'm gonna invent that, and keep in mind when you do. I bet when my kids are my my grandkids, I think will push a button and a laser will cut.
Speaker 2: Every blade of grass, like real quickly.
Speaker 3: Well, yep, you'll say I wanted it inch and a half. Boom, It'll come up like a sprinkler and it'll just laser everything. And you got to make sure your dog's not out at the time or something, you know, or the mailman's walking through. And I think all the grass is from real and it just gets done nobody. You don't even just watch it from your window.
Speaker 2: That would be pretty cool, except for like what if someone's standing out there and then all of a sudden, maybe it's a lower chop stream or the alarms go off or you know, at the ankles. Oh my goodness, Matt, I was planning on doing a beefy fan. And how it's at the ten, so it's dead on the whole goal line, down the five yard line, ten yards.
Speaker 3: I mean they are, that's gonna do the whole field.
Speaker 2: There's four members of the Steelers grounds crew out there and they could not be less concerned with this robot, like they are very confident that it is.
Speaker 3: Bet they do the sidelines too. I bet it does all the stuff that's perpendicular to us. And then I bet it does and in the back of the end zone. Yeah, listen, we will keep you posting. Trust, don't worry, don't. I don't think the hashes are coming now, or the numbers.
Speaker 2: Or the numbers. I think painting the numbers right now because that would be very difficult to get a robot to do the numbers.
Speaker 3: I guess the hashes, so we'll see, we'll see.
Speaker 2: It is so funny though, because all four of the guys are down there working and that robot is just chugging along like no one's like babysit, no problems, no babysitting. They're just giving a nice paddle the butt from time to time. Good hustle kid, good hearts.
Speaker 3: Fill it with paint.
Speaker 2: I wonder like, yeah, if at some point, I'm sure it will stop and like beep beep in the yeah, over and refill it. But I'll tell you what, that's pretty.
Speaker 3: Maybe they know a whole field you can do and x amount of I'm sure they do know. Whatever the paint. You know, this thing holds. Oh maybe that gets you to the fifty or maybe that's the whole field. Whatever it is, this seems cool. That's definitely a new creation.
Speaker 2: That was not a right Brett tweets us and says, I'm not sure what's been more invigorating experience as a Steelers fan over the past seven months, beating the Ravens to get into the playoffs or hearing Matt and West talk about the paint robot at camp today.
Speaker 3: That's pretty cool. Yeah, I bet they don't do field number two.
Speaker 2: I wouldn't think so, But then again, who knows. Now they have been running the sprinklers over there too. I don't know if you want to paint lines right after you run the sprinklers. That seems a little counterintuitive.
Speaker 3: These next couple of hours became a lot more entertaining.
Speaker 2: They sure did, at least for us. Maybe not for our listeners, but at least at least for us.
Speaker 3: What's awesome is you don't have to like pick this thing up and line it up each time it does it knows exactly five yards when they make that turn again.
Speaker 2: This is the type of things that I like to see robots and advanced technology used for exactly this is the type of word they should be doing, peyton lines, cutting grass, cleaning out grease traps at restaurants. Yeah, don't be doing doctor stuff or driving stuff, or you know, things that are gonna things that are gonna take non grunt work jobs away from human beings. Matt Angry Bike Lane tweets us and says prediction. You know about the Steelers Hall of Honor class that we just mentioned, when will Cordell Stewart enter the Steelers Hall of Honor. He's one of the guys. So I feel like we do this every year. I try and find, you know, some names. Yeah, I haven't given much thought, but it could be that could be up here.
Speaker 3: And I don't know. The Courtell's guaranteed anything.
Speaker 2: I don't know the Courtell's guaranteed anything. I feel like at some point he.
Speaker 3: Quick note on the grass, so he just did the two in the twenty. I assume he didn't do the zero because there was about to get run over. Oh see what I'm saying. The wet paint across like.
Speaker 2: The wheel of the road. Listen, sometimes man must stop machine from making the grass.
Speaker 3: It's actual pretty cool watching them do the numbers too.
Speaker 2: Actually pretty good. It's one of those very satisfying Yes, you missed this. I don't know, maybe you got a little bit of it because your kids are a little bit older. But were your kids like big into YouTube and stuff when they were growing up. All the kids now love YouTube because there's these random they call them, like a S m R Videos. Okay, and it'll be like unboxing toys, or it'll be like cleaning up a kitchen and it's just all sights and sounds like satisfying. Yes, like cutting the grass, kind of painting, painting the wall. Yeah, this would be pressure washing. Pressure washing is a very very popular one. Yes, this would be a good one. This would be a good one.
Speaker 3: This is a good one.
Speaker 2: Now, I bet he doesn't do the zero because of the wheels, because the wheels.
Speaker 3: Is going to come around and he drag it, so I think he has to wait.
Speaker 2: Look at matt Is the golf cart and lawn science management and all that good stuff here.
Speaker 3: But the humans are ahead of the the robot in terms.
Speaker 2: Of I will say the robot's very slowly paced. But that's good though, But.
Speaker 3: His job's more I mean his job's harder of the two too.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, the robot is you know, the robot is is doing the John Wooden thing. It's it's quick, but it's not hurry right painting and listen, that robot. You don't have to worry about it's forty hours a week, or its healthcare benefits or overtime pay. It can stay out here as long as as long as it needs to to get the job done. Matt. Last year's Hall of Honor class, Ben Roethlisberger, Marquis Poutsy, and Joey Porter seniors ride. That's a h That's a pretty big trio there. For the Pittsburgh Steelers, here's the names that are mentioned. You know, I did kind of a quick just looking at some of the Yeah, I haven't done any different articles and everything. David de Castro is still not in. I think he definitely will go one hundred percent.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah.
Speaker 2: Super Bowl MVP wide receiver Santonio Holmes is still not in.
Speaker 3: I like his chance. I'm not saying on Saturday, but I like his chances.
Speaker 2: I think. You know, again, Steelers all of Honor, This is not the this is not Canton, you know, this is spurg Steelers all of honor, and for a guy who was a Super Bowl MVP and part of one of the more iconic moments and wins in Steelers history. I would think san Antonio Holmes gets along as Steeler I want to say, probably five or six years.
Speaker 3: I think the contract structure was the same where he was a first round pick. Do you pick up a fifty year option.
Speaker 2: Do you sign another deal? Then you get trade the Jets. He was a Sixer for four years. Really, I thought it was more than that, but it was.
Speaker 3: It doesn't help us his case though, it does not, but man, he was.
Speaker 2: Pretty stinking good. And it was in those four years and then four years with the Jets and then one year with the Bears. Gary Anderson could still Oh he should go. He should definitely go in the Steelers Hall of Honor.
Speaker 3: He's really one of the best kickers of all time.
Speaker 2: He's one of the best kickers of all time.
Speaker 3: I do believe numbers won't be as good as these guys, but for his era he was Him and Morten Anderson were the top two.
Speaker 2: I still think he is the Steelers all time leading point scorer, right. I know Boss is close, but I don't think Boss has passed him yet, Like I think he will here pretty early in the season. But I still think Gary Anderson is the guy that has scored the most points for the Steelers in franchise history. Yeah he should. We could debate kickers in the Hall of Fame all day, but kickers in your Hall of honor. Absolutely. Chris Boswell should be in there. He someday, absolutely strong. And a lot of people have mentioned Cordell Stewart as a candidate.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: Some have mentioned Ryan Clark as a candidate. That's an interesting one. He was another one who wasn't here for very long but was a part of some really good defenses. Antonio Brown is still out there, although I don't think he didn't finish his line. Run out of paint. They're looking at the iOS. Something's happening, folks, I have never seen Matt Williamson is intrigued by something by this painting robot. Help he's on the loose.
Speaker 3: There's all that paint over there. That's probably what's happening.
Speaker 2: They said. Now, you know what would be really cool is if there was like a gas station for this thing and it would fill up automatically, Like if he just or like an I robot, Like another robot comes out C three po comes out and fills them up. Here. Here comes our t D two too.
Speaker 3: But he definitely ran out of pain.
Speaker 2: Now I'm gonna lose. Now, I'm gonna lose man for the next five minutes here while he figures out how this thing, how this thing? You know what? Though? In terms of the paint, so he did one, two, three, four, five six almost, so about about six and three quarters of lines here.
Speaker 3: That's about fifty five yards each.
Speaker 2: That's pretty good for uh so, yeah, I mean that's just a.
Speaker 3: Fair amount of pain. We're pushing one hundred lines.
Speaker 2: Pushing four hundred yards of paint here at this point that he just now he's going here to refuel. I was hoping it was gonna be like an I robot machine where they like mount and recharge, like he just mounted into something and it dispensed paint.
Speaker 3: No, he's got the pit stop and now they're grabbing.
Speaker 2: Now they're grabbing the hose. Here is this guy and is the overheating a little bit? Does he need a little little cold water?
Speaker 3: Maybe? I don't know.
Speaker 2: Maybe it's like a jet ski where you have to like pump water through it when you're done, to keep the engine clean. I'm not sure, but all I know is all I know is that I've lost Matt here for the next five minutes until we figure.
Speaker 3: Out, I'll try. I can give you Ryan Clark, I don't think. I don't know, like a Ferrier Kirkland.
Speaker 2: What about Ryan Clark versus Cordell Stewart.
Speaker 3: How many years was Cordell the starting quarterback?
Speaker 2: Though? Only a couple?
Speaker 3: Yeah, only a couple, I mean really dynamic players.
Speaker 2: This is a different This is a different conversation, like a Hall of Fame.
Speaker 3: But still, I mean, like I might put Neil in ahead.
Speaker 2: Of him, maybe, maybe, But I mean.
Speaker 3: There's my bar is pretty high for this organization. This is not the Arizona Cardinals, you know what I mean. I mean, like, just think of the three guys they put in last year. Sure, I mean, like they're not Cordell's not Ryan Clark's not close to those guys, you know, right, They're They're good. Don't get me wrong.
Speaker 2: Those are the player names that I've seen mentioned most often, Matt. I also think there's some names that we have to mention that could could get into this conversation. That are not played because we know there there's also coaches, there's contributors, there's broadcasters in this thing.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna steel your thunder. You mentioned Bill Hillgrove. I immediately thought.
Speaker 2: Oh, yeah, Bill Hillgrove because and hey, we're we're all shaped by our experiences, right. But Wolf is going to get into the Steelers Hall of Honor one day, I thought last year, and he won't. He won't be here to receive those flowers unfortunately, right.
Speaker 3: I would think he's got a good chance.
Speaker 2: We'll be on Saturday. I think so. I think so. I again, I know Wolf will get in at some point. Yeah, I hope it's I hope it's soon. But whenever it is, Wolf won't be here to receive those flowers. I would like Billy to have his moment. Billy Hillgrove deserves that moment in front of the fan base. Guys healthy, yes, no, yeah, And I'm not trying to be crass, but yeah, yeah, you know he's up in age and he's retired. He I would I would love to see Billy get his flowers while, you know, while he can and really appreciate that moment and feel that love from the fan base. That he gave so many memories to over thirty. He's definitely going to go. I think he's I think he's definitely gonna go. And then I don't know, like I wonder about someone like a Stan saveregn because I know he never.
Speaker 3: I don't know if that counts.
Speaker 2: I know he never broadcasted. Well, he did host, you know, pregame and postgame shows for the Steelers.
Speaker 3: I mean like he was on I do, but I mean he was on this. I don't know if he ever was an employee of this. That's a good point.
Speaker 2: I know he was on the Hall of Honors committee for a long time. Is myron In Myrons myrons In? He was part of the inaugural class.
Speaker 3: He's sure, but he's like kill Grove. I mean he broadcasted, yes, and that's different.
Speaker 2: And he also invented the terrible Friggin' tal baby.
Speaker 3: I mean, I love Stan. I went on a show weekly and there's my maybe one of my favorite radio hits I've ever done on a routine basis.
Speaker 2: But I don't know if he qualifies. I mean, that's a good that's a good point.
Speaker 3: I a good point. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Uh. Here are a couple of other names to throw at you. Plexico Buris is still not in, Larry Foote still not in, Willie Gay still not in. Jeff Harding's still not in, Merrill Hodge, Chris.
Speaker 3: Hulk other than the football too.
Speaker 2: I mentioned Santonio Holmes, ho about Ernie Holmes is still not in.
Speaker 3: No one's blowing my doors off on that list.
Speaker 2: Brett Keezel. I like his chances, Leavon Kirkland.
Speaker 3: Leave Leavin was a wonderful player. I think Kirkland was better than most of these players you met.
Speaker 2: Mike Taylor should definitely be in at some point. I guess, yeah, uh, Lawrence Timmins, Lamar Woodley, Dwayne Woodruff. And then there's obviously some other names that that we already talked about, like the you know, the Craig wolf Lees and the Santonio holmes Is and those type of guyss like Louis lips In. I think so, I think he's not coming up on any of these lists of who of who could could possibly be in.
Speaker 3: Like remember we did that fantasy segment, you know, like Louis lips was a lot better than you thought, and things like that. You know, it's individual years, but I was just trying to think sort of who are the best players during the down years in the eighties too. That can be easy to overlook just because they don't have rings. Yeah, really a lot of success touches in, touches in.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and deservedly so. Uh but yeah, that'll be that's always obviously.
Speaker 3: To wolf for a combination of player and post player time.
Speaker 2: Yes, correct, they had made.
Speaker 3: That really makes some strong cases.
Speaker 2: Three four decades with the organization. Those guys were, those guys were a fabric of of everything here, and we were standing on the shoulders of some giants in the Pittsburgh broadcasting industry. Certainly, and yeah, I think sooner rather than later, Craig Wolfley and Bill Hillgrove will both being that in that Steelers Hall of Honor and and and deservedly so. The castro is another one though, if you made me ask, if you made me maybe put my I don't want to say because then I'll be wrong, But I was gonna say, maybe me put my life. Pick one, pick one person to put your life. Bet you're okay, let's not do that. Let's do the mortgage. Bet you bet the mortgage on one person who goes in tomorrow. I think I'm gonna say David DeCastro.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think that's a strong bet.
Speaker 2: In terms of all the players he feels he feels like the strongest candidate still available. There's also I'm sure there's some there's some coaches that deserve to be in this conversation that we probably I think and is uh. I think Leo is in. I bet I wonder, like someone like Bruce Arians if he would ever get it. Yeah, you know, it'll be interesting, it would be really interesting.
Speaker 3: Who was the when does Tomlin go a couple.
Speaker 2: Of couple of years?
Speaker 3: I think now, I guess coaches have to wait the same different rules and you know.
Speaker 2: What I mean, really good question. It's a really good question because you know he's go. Oh absolutely, but like if he starts getting back into coaching, then he's going to be busy this time of year. Yeah, I don't know. I wonder if John Mitchell would be I don't think. I wonder. I'm trying to figure out if he's in. I don't think. I don't think. I don't think he's in. Kind how about Munch is a good one too, Yeah, absolutely, I mean these guys were Mitchell was a d line coach for a very long time, for a long time. For he was you know before Carl Dunbar right, for forever, won two Super Bowls with the team.
Speaker 3: Mitchell played for Bear Bryant.
Speaker 2: Yes he was. He was the first ever black football player at Alabama. Right, Actually imagine what that was like for him. Yeah, yeah, but he was the first team All American, first team All SEC.
Speaker 3: Two times coach for a long time.
Speaker 2: Oh, he's in the Alabama Sports Hall of Fame. He was a NCAA Football National champion as a coach in seventy three with Alabama, two time Super Bowl champion as a coach with the Steelers.
Speaker 3: Yeah, as assistant coaches like not even non court position coaches.
Speaker 2: His cases, his case is very very strong. That was when I when I started thinking about coaches. That was one of the first ones that came to mind. Kevin Colder break call tomorrow, definite to go. We'll go see if we can find Dan Colbert over in the cafeteria and ask him, Hey, your dad, dad going in tomorrow or what's.
Speaker 3: Gonna be around tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Here comes the robot back out onto the field. So that means we need to get to a break because Matt's going to be distracted here for the next few minutes. We'll close down the three o'clock hour. When we return, Yu'ller and Williamson, the Little Robot, Nation Radio, lawn Care Nation Radio. It's all happened, and it's the drive on Steve Dealer's Nation Radio on the Steelers Audio Network.
Speaker 1: This is live coverage up Dot twenty twenty six Steelers Training Camp or the Steelers Audio Network, presented by bud Light. Easy to drink, easy to enjoy, and brought to you in part by your neighborhood Ford Store Creator, Pittsburgh Community Food Bank, First National Bank. Let's Get Started Member FDIC West Shore Home Remodeling Reimagine by Leecom Digital, Donz Appliances Visit Donzappliances dot Com. Guaranteed lowest prices, free next day delivery, CGR Wholesale and by Hoss's Steak and Seahouse. Hass Is Is Hospitality.
Speaker 2: Closing down the first hour of the show. The painting Robot is back. It has finished up the thirty yard line. It is now all built up. Matt. It's like it's perfect. That line is as straight as an arrow, baby, and.
Speaker 3: Uh they correct a little bit where we're stopped and picked up.
Speaker 2: Oh I can, I mean, I can understand they're.
Speaker 3: Still human involved here, involvement in here.
Speaker 2: They are just robots. After Yeah, I'll tell you what.
Speaker 3: That rope he's skipping the thirty five. He's got a mind of his own. The forty.
Speaker 2: That robot, that robot, I tell you what Matt has. It's got good hips. That thing turns the way to turn, triggers, triggers those hips like Chase out there turning like Jamar. Chase turns the opposite of the Titanic.
Speaker 3: I tell you the thirty five to get neglected. Not even he's not doing the forty either.
Speaker 2: You know what you mentioned. No he is. It's just you know what, it's weird that pain is not is now it's stopping again. I wonder if there's an issue with the new paint. That paint's just not as.
Speaker 3: Rope spot robots. That's the thing. Okay. Interesting.
Speaker 2: You know what one piece of lawn technology that you didn't mention was the zero turn. The zero turn mowers are pretty pretty pretty dynam This thing, this robot has, has zero turn capabilities. We'll continue to keep you updated on all the things happening out here on the grounds, say Vincent College of course, high A top Chucknolefield, Matt and I are here in press box. Yeah, well hey, listen, see you know this is why you can only rely so much on humans or on robots and technology. Pardon me, uh Berg Sports for his name on Twitter is your mom's house. Burg Sports for says, could you guys start doing fantasy segments in the drives daily lineup? Ask and you shall receive. Yeah, there's actually a few different fantasy football things that I wanted to get to with you today.
Speaker 3: Let's do it to start building my official list here. Maybe over the weekend when I'm home.
Speaker 2: Okay, we'll start. We'll start getting to those soon. Mike Clay of ESPN dot Com put together his playbook Your Plan for a Winning Fantasy Football Draft Strategy, and he kind of took the major positions and how you should approach them, and I'd like to get your thoughts on this. Okay, state of the positions basically for fantasy football. For quarterback, he said, it's Josh Allen and then everyone else. You know, last year there was this talk of this big four were with Josh Allen Jalen Hurts, Lamar Jackson, and Jayden Daniels, where truly only Josh Allen was the Josh Allen was the only quarterback from a fantasy football perspective that performed at an elite level last season.
Speaker 3: So he basically is like the best fantasy quarterback in the history of the league. I mean, Cam Newton was close, but Alan's doing it even further. Newton was like first or second like five years in a row, but it was only five. I think Allen's basically top three every year he's been the starter, except his first year when he was kind of terrible. Now he gets DJ Moore. I don't see any reason to think that they're gonna slow down on his rush attempts or I mean, he's just an immense touchdown producer air and ground. That being said, and I agree with what Clay said here that it's him and then you know everybody else. I don't think I would pay the price for Allen because there's so many dudes. I think I'm definitely going to be like the guy that takes my quarter my first quarterback last in the draft, Like you can get Kyler Murray twelve rounds later than an Alan or Malik Willis, guys that don't sound great, but they run like crazy. And Allen's a sure bet and like, so I'll throw my buddy even under the bus, even not my man. Sab is not the strongest fantasy player, you know, he's busy.
Speaker 2: It's like one of your boys.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we graduated to one of my best friends. But he's not going to monitor his team like I am sure.
Speaker 2: I mean.
Speaker 3: Right, he's kind of a set it and forget it guy. And everybody has those dudes in the league. And I tell him every year I'm and now he just does. I'm like, take Josh Allen, yeah, because you're not gonna be because you could, you're gonna be streaming quarterbacks. You're not gonna be doing that in week ten. We all know it's a take Josh Allen five picks earlier than you should, and you know then you're happy.
Speaker 2: Crock Pott it baby, just yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah. Running back, here's the state of the position. You better stock up early or else you're gonna be in trouble.
Speaker 3: That's always true.
Speaker 2: I feel like that's yeah.
Speaker 3: But I think it's a little less true than people than most years. You know, like I can live with if I'm loaded everywhere else, I can live with Warden Warren or Dowdell or Javonte Williams or I could probably go on and on swift. You know, dudes that are mid round picks that are gonna touch the football a lot. You know, Like I'm old enough that almost everybody. When you know, our league was a twelve team league, and twenty years ago, ten of those first rounders were running backs every year of course, and if not, and then there also be like ten in the second shot, I mean like they were gone quick.
Speaker 2: Like you better have your two starters by the third round. Yeah, you're in trouble.
Speaker 3: I don't know that that's the case. Like if you were to go Jamar Chase, Josh Allen and then running back running back, you could be okay. I think you could piece it together, you know.
Speaker 2: Like there's a lot of those interesting guys like the Omari and Hampton's, the Breis Hall, Yeah, Win, Shawn Jenkins, Bucky Irvik's still only twenty four years old. You know, Genarium Price is an interesting one. So there are I mean there is kind of that.
Speaker 3: There's a lot of names. Yeah, yeah, a little bit more than I think people give give that position credit for. I'm trying to think that I had a name on the tip of my tongue. I'll probably come up with it. A couple of those names you mentioned, like Hampton, are going really high. I mean that you got to use the second round pick on those dudes. But like, here's a great example. That's what I was thinking of.
Speaker 2: JK. Dobbins. JK.
Speaker 3: Dobbins gets hurt every year, but he's also really productive when he's not hurt. He's not hurt now, Denver