Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio Our two.
Speaker 2: On this Thursday, Chris Collinsworth will join us coming up. We'll get phone calls as well, each seven to seven to three. DP Show email address DP at Danpatrick dot com, Twitter handle a GP show. Good morning those watching on Peacock, Thank you for downloading the app, and our radio affiliates around the country as well. Stat of the Day has always brought you by Panini America. The official trading cards of the program. Pumpkin, Spice, Maple, Tailgate Moonshine is back for the fall, but limited quantities. The first four hundred customers who order two bottles or more receive a limited edition Dan Patrick Show Panini trading card. Everything's available at Danpatrick dot com. Poll question, at least for hour two is going to be what Seaton O'Connor.
Speaker 3: Well, we had two up there for our one. We had the best way to decide who gets into the Hall of Fame is stats in Research or the I test. Right now, Stats and Research winning by They've got about fifty nine percent of the vote.
Speaker 4: It's close, but not close enough for me.
Speaker 2: I think there's certain players and I found that out first Hour with Marshawn Lynch. I said, it doesn't sound like he's a Hall of Famer, And then we did a deeper dive and we looked and he had one signature moment.
Speaker 5: I think. I think his story is great too.
Speaker 2: But he had in the postseason, he was very good, had the signature run beast mode against the Saints ten thousand yards. Didn't have I don't know how many touchdowns he scored in his career, but he was on a team that we tended to focus on the defense, the coach and maybe the quarterback as well. But we're looking at these first time nominees for the Hall of Fame.
Speaker 5: Who's going in first ballot?
Speaker 2: I think Eli is going to I don't think he should go in first ballot.
Speaker 5: I think Luke Keikley.
Speaker 2: Will have a strong case, Anddrell Suggs first ballot.
Speaker 5: Hall of Famers.
Speaker 6: Yes, Tom marsh On Lynch eighty five career rush.
Speaker 3: That's pretty eighty six would have been a big one to big number massive.
Speaker 4: Apologizes, dang Hall of Fame.
Speaker 7: Okay, Marph blop bloop, I still was it was it earlier in this season when Richard Sherman and the Seahawks roughed up Brady and the Patriots in Seattle, and that's when they came up to.
Speaker 2: Brady and go, h that was the birth of you, mad bro, You mad bro. As Brady walked off. I don't know if it was that year, but it was early in their careers, but they were like mocking Brady, mad bro. Now fast forward to that Super Bowl that Seattle lost. Richard Sherman is sitting on the ground at the end of the game, and now I'm watching because they're going to take the podium out in the you know, the stage, and we're giving out the Super Bowl Trophy. And I always wondered if it was me after Richard Sherman said that to me after beating me, you mad bro. If I'm Brady, I would have walked up and said you mad bro. Now he didn't because Brady's got more class than I do, But in that moment, I probably would have said, Hey, let me help you up, your mad bro, and be like, yeah, paybacks. You know what they say about those don't come at the goat. Yes, Todd, I was just coughing. I was araising man, You've never contributed more. All right, So poll question for the second hour of the program is going to be what Todd's got the Patriots upsetting the gents.
Speaker 5: He just sent me his predictions.
Speaker 6: That's a favored by like six six and a half. I don't see that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, no, they're still favored by six.
Speaker 6: I got newing it out right, okay.
Speaker 5: All right, I like it.
Speaker 2: And of course he's got his mock headline already for this. He got something to do with mayonnaise Mayo. I don't know why we're jumping the gun here.
Speaker 6: I would like to do it at the end of the show.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but you send it to me just now.
Speaker 6: I just thought of it and I just, okay, thought i'd share.
Speaker 5: It, all right, So now everybody's going to know your prediction.
Speaker 6: Yeah, but I didn't give you the headline writing the headline.
Speaker 2: For no pressure whatsoever on how do you use mayo girod Mayo into a headline here?
Speaker 6: You may have to do with that, maybe something with that.
Speaker 2: All right, we'll get some phone calls here. Show Hey Otani, meo, Lames, show Heyotani. Forty nine stolen base as the Dodgers beat the Marlins, So forty nine steals forty eight home runs and it feels like he's going to get to fifty. Like stolen bases are a choice. You get on first, and then you steal home runs. Obviously you need a little help from the pitcher pitching to you and and then connecting for a home run. Dave Roberts, Dodger manager, will join us tomorrow in the program. But it feels like he's going to get to fifty stolen and bases there now, is it nine games to go or ten.
Speaker 5: Games to go?
Speaker 8: I have?
Speaker 9: I have ten games, okay, at Miami, a slate against Colorado, a slate against San Diego, which San Diego needs, and then a slate at Colorado. The San Diego games are at home.
Speaker 2: San Diego has played probably better baseball than anybody.
Speaker 5: And if you remember a star.
Speaker 9: Break four years ago, that was your squad.
Speaker 5: Yes it was, Yes, stick with it.
Speaker 4: You hauled a grudge, by the way.
Speaker 5: I do, I do. I've been burned. And it turns out the Chargers.
Speaker 4: I was going to suggest the Podres, the Chargers have.
Speaker 5: Bitten you the most Arizona basketball.
Speaker 4: I'd be like, damn, it's like a decade ago.
Speaker 2: I know, but I'd still it hurts, and I hold a grudge. Do not cross me, because I'm going to hold a grudge forever. Okay, So a couple of phone calls in here, what if the Jets lose tonight?
Speaker 3: I just oh, Patriot fan there in the back, Yeah, wow, not sorry? What's wrong with the Is America rooting for the Jets tonight?
Speaker 10: What?
Speaker 11: I don't?
Speaker 5: Probably not? Probably not?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I don't know why.
Speaker 2: What's the but National TV losses seem to be like one and a half losses.
Speaker 4: Saying that the Jets, what if they lost today?
Speaker 3: And I was happy about it? I got a collective groan from the room. Why is everybody rooting for the Jets?
Speaker 5: Because we're in the content business.
Speaker 3: Okay, so what is Aaron Rodgers beating a crappy Patriots team good content?
Speaker 4: Or losing to a crappy.
Speaker 2: Paget Wait a minute, are the now the Patriots are crappy? I thought everybody's like, hey, they could have usually been two, and.
Speaker 3: They could have a surprise to and though they could have been yeah, yeah, who the hell saw that coming.
Speaker 4: They're supposed to be the worst team in the league and they're almost two, and.
Speaker 2: Well, they weren't supposed to beat the Bengals, but at home against Seattle or yeah, I mean there's there's the last year when they faced Buffalo, they'd beat Buffalo. Like, all right, I think Trod Mayo's done a nice job there, quietly done a nice job. I have over unders for Aaron Rodgers passing Marvin I'm gonna go this. According to DraftKings over under Aaron Rodgers tonight two forty two and a half, Paulie fifty five.
Speaker 6: And a half, Todd twenty six and a half.
Speaker 2: Seat, it's two fifteen and a half wolf to fifteen in a Is that more about Aaron Rodgers or is the receivers they stink?
Speaker 5: I don't know.
Speaker 2: Jacoby Brissette, the other quarterback, tonight over seventy seven yards.
Speaker 5: It's one sixty four and a half.
Speaker 4: That is, I'm taking the under on that.
Speaker 5: Yikes.
Speaker 6: That including week four, we're just talking about the chicken.
Speaker 5: I'm giving you all the reasons to not tune into this apparently, but did you see it?
Speaker 3: By the way, when uh, justin Jefferson that somebody asked him like, hey, how much did you learn from watching what like whatever team did against Garrett Wilson, and like can you have what can you take away from that and how they covered him? And he said, well, with all due respect, I'm not Garrett Wilson. I'm Slam so I'm a little different than that.
Speaker 5: Wow.
Speaker 2: The Patriots have won eighteen of their last twenty meetings versus the Jets, trend that's tied for the best record by any team against a divisional opponent since the Green Bay Packers eighteen and two against the Bears. By the way of the twenty seven quarterbacks selected first overall in the Common Draft, so that's since nineteen seventy. Bryce Young's one lost record of sixteen is the worst through the first eighteen games of his career anybody's career, and his eleven touchdown passes are tied with Terry Bradshaw for the second fewest. David Carr had only ten touchdown passes.
Speaker 12: Startup the day, start of the day, start of the day, start of the day, start of the base, start of the bay, stout of the big, start of the through.
Speaker 2: Stat of the day. Brought to you my Openadian America. We'll talk to Chris collins Worth about this. It feels like everybody is saying that the Carolina Panthers organization failed Bryce Young and he's not getting much blame here? Now is there enough blame to go around? I can start at the very top and work all the way down to the quarterback. Do I think he'll get another chance some other place? And the answer is yes, I do. Now, could he get a chance. Let's say with the Dolphins, depending on TUA? Could he get a chance? Let's say, here's something crazy, and maybe it's just it's wild and it's speculative, and it's like talk radio. I got a trade for you. What if the forty nine ers go, we don't want to pay sixty million dollars to brock Perty. What if you say we want to keep the talent together here, either you take a team friendly deal or we're going to trade.
Speaker 5: For Bryce Young.
Speaker 2: Or other Let's say, what if the Rams go to Matthew Stafford? How much longer are you going to play? Would you trade with Sean McVay. I don't know what his grade would be on Bryce Young, but you might have somebody who is a better team in a better situation to be able to bring in somebody who's going to be cheaper. And if you think he's going to be a franchise quarterback. I mean, I think we thought the Cowboys were doing this with Trey Lance. Hey, this is bargaining power, this is leverage. If Dak asked for a crazy number, well he asked for a crazy number and you gave it to him, which means Trey Lance is not ready to play. But if you believe in Bryce Young, you can get him. Not gonna cost you much. Is somebody gonna, you know, try to do. Now you have the head coach of the Carolina Panthers. So Dave Canalis was asked yesterday about would they trade Bryce Young.
Speaker 13: Yeah, it's not something we're really considering. You know, we have a great situation with our quarterbacks right now, with guys that have experienced. So we love where we're at and we're all all hands on deck. We're folks not playing the.
Speaker 14: Raiders this week.
Speaker 5: Wow, I don't believe anything. He just said.
Speaker 2: You can't love your cornerback room, you can't love where you're at with this, and you can't say we're really not now. He I thought gave away something there in the very beginning to play it again, Marvin, because he said, we're not really go ahead.
Speaker 13: It's not something we're really considering, you know that, we're.
Speaker 2: Really instead of saying no, we're not trading him, we're not really considered.
Speaker 5: You should be.
Speaker 2: I mean I would have I would say, hey, phone lines are open, operators are standing.
Speaker 3: All that might be a little strong, Yeah, oh you think little, But yeah, you can't go. You know, I like where we are and I like her quarterback room. Yeah, I got a thirty six year old Andy Dalton going out there to play. We're going to play the Raiders in Las Vegas. Max Crosby is going to greet us at the airport. He wants to make sure we all get to the hotel safely so he can play against us.
Speaker 5: You can't love where you are right now?
Speaker 8: Yes, Martin, if you're somebody that's on the Raiders, do you look at the Panthers like I'm about to get my stats up this game right here? I only have four sacts going into the season.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but then what happens when the Panthers jump out to a seven nothing start?
Speaker 15: Uh?
Speaker 6: Oh, what you're gonna do?
Speaker 2: Luciano and Brooklyn? Hey Luciano, what's up all morning?
Speaker 16: Capo? Marvin face k what of a sudden? And of course to the good fellas God Seeing and as far as I'm concerned, the real big german Pauli Pats aka Pauli the Paddles. It about baby, It's about a lot of things, all right, Capo.
Speaker 6: Listen.
Speaker 16: First of all, that analogy about Marshawn Lynch running naked in the in the prison showers is a little weird considering I just finished paying a small debt to society, which is why you ever heard from me. But we're going to move on from that. So my question is a debate that actually popped up in Rikers. Does Aaron Rodgers need another Super Bowl? Or is he currently going to go down in history as a better quarterback than Steve Young? And please ask get your two guests coming up.
Speaker 5: Wait you're you were Rikers?
Speaker 16: Yeah, for a little bit. I had a little small debt to society the play, but it all worked out. That's that's my best and I got out Sunday night.
Speaker 5: Oh okay, uh did you watch football there?
Speaker 16: Of course? Actually funny enough. I was trying to tell people they listen, I need to call Dan and who the hell is Dan? And I had to explain some who you guys were? So long story short. I had a good friend of somebody else boof of phone and uh you can look up the definition of booth on the phone. And we we actually watched you guys on Peacock a couple of times. Yeah, that's d.
Speaker 2: Well. Thank you to everybody in Rikers. Thank I love a captive audience.
Speaker 3: Uh yeah, yeah, wow, I thought he calling his cell?
Speaker 5: Oh blue Blue?
Speaker 4: Wow?
Speaker 9: Do you think they have Sunday ticket in the pen?
Speaker 7: Oh?
Speaker 5: I don't know.
Speaker 14: I don't know.
Speaker 2: Guys are like man, I love me some Scott Hansen. Where's Andrew Siciliano the riot?
Speaker 9: Because Andrew's not doing it anyway.
Speaker 6: He's on Brown's radio games.
Speaker 5: Yeah, thank you, Tom. Let's see what was his question about? Oh, it is Aaron Rodgers better than Steve Young?
Speaker 16: Uh?
Speaker 5: It's it's different if he won another Super Bowl. Uh, I.
Speaker 6: Don't know.
Speaker 5: I haven't, yes, Mar and.
Speaker 8: Steve Young's a big different because his career for a first Battle Hall of Famer was relatively short like his.
Speaker 2: It's crazy that he was in the USFL. He played for the Buccaneers and then he backed up Montana. As far as what do you have a six year career, he's.
Speaker 9: Set for five whole seasons without basically without playing football. That is amazing, and these are prime seasons, Steve. I know we have to break Steve Young's SAT from age twenty six to age thirty. God, he did all his work from age thirty to thirty seven.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right, let me take a break. We'll get to more phone calls coming up. Chris Collinsworth in the on deck circle right after this. Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 15: Hey, we're Covino and Rich Fox Sports Radio every day five to seven pm Eastern. But here's the thing, we never have enough time to get to everything we want to get to.
Speaker 11: And that's why we have a brand new podcast called over Promised. You see, we're having so much fun in our two hour show. We never get to everything, honestly, because this guy is over promising things we never have time for. Yeah, you blubber list lame in me.
Speaker 4: Well, you know what it's called over promise.
Speaker 15: You should be good at it because you've been over promising women for years.
Speaker 11: Well, it's a Cavino and Rich after show, and we want you to be a part of it. We're gonna be talking sports, of course, but we're also gonna talk life and relationships. And if Rich and I are arguing about something or we didn't have enough time, it will continue on our after show called over Promised.
Speaker 5: Well, if you don't get enough.
Speaker 15: Covino and Rich, make sure you check out over Promised and also Uncensored by the way, so maybe we'll go at it even.
Speaker 5: A little harder.
Speaker 15: It's gonna be the best after show podcast of all time.
Speaker 11: There you go, over Promising and remember you could see on YouTube, but definitely join us. Listen Over Promised with Cadino and Rich on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 2: This Sunday Night, Mahomes and the Raining Super Bowl Champs go to Atlanta to take on the Falcons. It'll start the festivities in primetime Sunday at seven Eastern non NBC and Peacock Chris Collinsworth will be on the call with Mike Turrico on Sunday Night, and Chris joins us on the program. How often do you find yourself rooting for one of the teams to win the previous week, if they're going to be on Sunday night, Like, were you a Falcons fan against the Eagles?
Speaker 17: That's a dirty question right off the bat, The answer is yes.
Speaker 14: I do have to say.
Speaker 17: You know, in life, we all kind of cheer for what's best for our company and our product, and an zero to two Falcons team going home, you know, and nobody really too excited and playing the Chiefs. But now after that thing the other night, it was that was really something that was that was some comeback. Those two teams running the ball so well up and down the field, and then all of a sudden, Cousins just went crazy. I mean it was it looked so hard to throw the ball on several occasions during the course of that game, and then you just have just exploded in four or five plays. And it was really that was exciting. And they're they're an interesting team because they can run it so well. Bijon Robinson is just so good. I mean, this sucker can not only does he have those one step cuts and speed to get the outside zone, they run outside zone about as well as as teams that I've seen this season in Philadelphia. You know, had a good running game going to But yeah, that was fun.
Speaker 2: When it comes to the Hall of Famer, you more of a stats guy or the eye test that somebody's a Hall of Famer.
Speaker 17: You know, if I've seen them or I've played against them. That's that's an easy question, right, I mean, that's that's an easy one for me.
Speaker 14: Like I'll give you an example.
Speaker 17: I'm studying the tape of Atlanta the other night and Chris Linstrom's their right guard.
Speaker 14: Nobody cares, right, nobody.
Speaker 17: Cares, And but I'm watching them, and for the whole first half, Chris Linstrom is cutting the inside back or for the Eagles, and they're breaking off these big runs. And then you start to notice that like no other guard sort of gets left alone to have to block one on one and in pass protection, Chris Linstrom does almost every time. So he gave up a sack, he gave up a quick pressure. There were a couple other things. But if you said who was the best player you saw on the field for Atlanta, Beijon would have been close. They Chris Lynch and would have been the other. Now his stat line is going to say he gave up a sack, and he gave up a quick pressure that costs him a play, But the where they put him in the game and what they force him to do against those big defensive tackles of the Eagles, I thought was the most impressive. So I don't know if that answers the question, but that's if I've seen it. I feel better about it than I would just looking at stats.
Speaker 2: But you know, Luke Keikley's a Hall of Famer, Yeah, Terrell Suggs Hall of Famer.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Marshawn Lynch hall of Famer.
Speaker 14: No doubt, no doubt, no doubt.
Speaker 2: Okay, are any of those guys first ballot Hall of Famers because this is their first year being nominated. It's Keith Lee a first ballot Hall of Famer?
Speaker 17: Yes, I think, for my money, all three of those guys. I you know, not that it's too hard.
Speaker 14: For me to understand. You know, either a.
Speaker 5: Guy is he is?
Speaker 14: You know what I mean?
Speaker 17: Dan, It's like, if he's good enough to be in the Hall of Fame, that he should be in Hall of Fame in the first ballot. And maybe we shouldn't even be considering people. I don't know, but it's like, is it a Hall of Fame? Is this the greatest players or these the greatest of all time. And Marshawn Lynch was an absolute beast. Suggs, I mean, how many times did I see him, you know, break the nose of Ben Roethlisberger and Keithley is just a no brainer. I think he kind of changed the position, not just with the way that he tackled and played in the run game, but with the way he played in coverage. He was one of the great cover linebackers that I've seen, so, you know, from those are all my eye test. Those those three guys were great.
Speaker 5: Eli Manning a first ballan Hall of Famer.
Speaker 17: I think that's harder, you know, because it's it is I've seen Eli have off years. I've seen Eli, you know, have spectacular years. Eli is the guy that when he's on, it's sort of like the Manning Show in some ways. It's like when Eli's funny and entertainment, like he can carry the whole thing. And Eli and those two Super Bowl years could not have been any better. I mean, it was stunning some of the games that he came away with. The natural statistics of Eli Manning are going to be a tough comparison against some other people. But two super Bowls is two super bowls and either we're in or we're out. On the only thing that matters is quarterbacks winning super Bowls. I'll let me pile on how many stats for my guy Kenny Anderson. I agree in the Hall of Fame four time, I'm passing champion. We go to the Super Bowl. We sucked when we in the first half of that game and we cost Kenny what sort of been a super Bowl championship. He played great. There was nothing Kenny did wrong in that game. And yet that's going to be the standard. But if that's a standard, then all right, then Eli's definitely.
Speaker 2: In talking to Chris collins Worth, he'll be on the call Sunday night on NBC and Peacock Chiefs and the Falcons. What have you noticed with the Jets so far their offense with Aaron Rodgers, what do you what do they have and what are they missing?
Speaker 17: Well, the first thing that came up is when I first saw Aaron in camp, I thought he was still limping, you know that whatever it was, And I go, oh, that's because his mobility was a big part of what he did. You know, I always thought he was one of the toughest guys to try and rush for against because as he innately knew where that was. So there's there's six places you can run if you're the quarterback, and they rushed four, and I mean he found it breaking every time, you know, so he could step up and make throws and do that. So I think Aaron Rodgers is not yet where he's going to be this year. And with the way they play defense and the improvements and the health on the offensive line, you know, you hope that Tyron Smith can stay healthy. You hope that Morgan Moses and Barrett Tucker and all those guys stay healthy, and you know they can run the football with brestall and what's the kid's name, Brelan Allen something something like that, I thought they put on a show.
Speaker 14: So yeah, I'm.
Speaker 17: Kind of bullish on the Jets because of the way they play defense.
Speaker 14: And I think Aaron Rodgers is just getting started.
Speaker 17: To me, this is like where when I played, where we were for opening day, you know, we had played in two or three preseason games.
Speaker 14: We were kind of ready to go.
Speaker 17: I don't care what anybody says about practice and the scrimmages and all that stuff preseason. You just you have to play in a game. You have to when people are out there trying to kill you. You have to play in a game to get a feel for playing in the NFL. And I mean it's every year. It startles me. It just when I see the first game that we call, it just is startling how violent and how fast the game is after you've been watching the preseason games.
Speaker 14: But I do think you'll get there.
Speaker 17: The other thing I really believe, Dan, is that I don't pay attention until we get talked ober, I really don't. I think the NFL does a great job of matching up really good teams against really good teams early, so we get early losses out of those teams, teams that haven't been so good against teams that haven't been so good, and so we get some cheap wins early, and so you don't know. And the other part of it is coaches need tape to coach, so the elite coaches can take what their guys have done in a game and that game film and coach them to take them to a level that lesser coaches cannot, If that makes sense.
Speaker 2: We're two weeks in passing touchdowns are way down, way down.
Speaker 17: Why, well, I think it's part of the reason you're seeing everybody running the ball so well. It has really become the thing in the NFL. And its started, you know, many many years ago. But if there was always an argument, you know, everybody says, oh, you got to run.
Speaker 14: The ball to win game. You got to run the ball.
Speaker 17: Almost every defensive coordinator I've talked to you, I don't give it, damn how many yards they run for. They're not going to beat me running for one hundred and fifty yards. They're going to beat me because they had three plays went for fifty over my head. And that's really where the game has evolved. So now because of Mahomes and we saw everybody went to the two deep safeties and they're just sitting there. And so now these safeties are getting a little bit better, and the slot players in particular are getting better at sort of playing that wide receiver screen, coming back in and supporting the run game. The safeties know how to get up and down, but it's really hard to get a ball over the top of these defenses anymore. So you don't get cheap points, you don't get fast points the way that you did, and you know, so, really the game is always the ebb and flow of it. Right now, that ebb or flow or whatever it is is the run game. And you're seeing these guys look spectacular running the ball, it's because they don't have enough guys to stop it in the box.
Speaker 2: I've been saying for years. I don't know why somebody doesn't be counterintuitive, and we're gonna build our team that you have to stop us. That we're not gonna be like every other team. Everybody has, you know, fast edge rushers, your defensive players are a little smaller. Everybody wants the passing game. What if we just do what Jim Harbaugh is doing with the Chargers. We're gonna have a great offensive line, we're gonna run the ball, control the clock, and we're gonna put pressure on you to score points. I maybe we're seeing that, maybe this is an aberration, but I would I would have an offense that was different. I wouldn't try to We can't be the Chiefs, so don't try to be the Chiefs. Be something that can beat the Chiefs differently.
Speaker 17: Yeah, I the opening statement that you made there, I am a thousand percent on board. If you put me in charge of any football team tomorrow, I would start scouting offensive linemen.
Speaker 14: That's I mean.
Speaker 17: I watched I watched Atlanta, I watched Philadelphia. You watch the Tier or three for Kansas City. What I mean when quarterbacks Jalen Hurts sat in the pocket a few times in that game the other night. And I know Atlanta didn't draft an edge player. Maybe they should, maybe they shouldn't, But I'm just watching Jalen just stand there, you know, And you've got NFL caliber receivers out there running around and a bunch of defensive backs trying to figure out which way they're going, and then you've got a quarterback that can take off and run.
Speaker 14: Out of that foe man rush.
Speaker 17: And we already talked about the gaps and a four man rush and what they can do. So yeah, I mean, you give these guys the ability to run the ball with a great offensive line and that kind of pass protection. I don't know how defensively you stop that. I just don't and I don't think many teams do. Now, it may be methodical because you're going to run the ball, but then you add in that element of a running quarterback.
Speaker 14: I mean it almost seems unfair.
Speaker 17: I mean there are times you go, if you're playing defense, like, coach, what do you want me to do?
Speaker 6: You know?
Speaker 14: I mean, come on, do you want me to do?
Speaker 17: There's I can't rpo, you know, so now I got to play the run game. And then I got to drop back underneath this thing, and if I do, he hands it off, and if he.
Speaker 14: Doesn't hand it off, the quarterback keeps it. You know, it takes.
Speaker 17: The one negative about that approach is it takes so long. Ten plays in the NFL, they're going to throw at least one flag for holding.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 17: It's like when you return kickoffs. I'm not sure I would ever return kickoffs because one in three year is going to have a holding call and you're going to be back inside your own twenty yard line.
Speaker 14: Right.
Speaker 17: So all those things come into play, and that's part of the strategy. But it's it's fun to watch how this game goes. I can remember back in the day when everybody was playing zone defense and then they started playing mand a man and then Dan Reno went out and got his two great receivers and it's like, oh, forget that, we can't bump around those two guys, you know, so I just it just always changes all always.
Speaker 14: Does you know?
Speaker 2: I don't know if you ever heard this. We came up with an idea that offensive and defensive linemen have to wear mittens so they can't hold.
Speaker 17: What do you think they like those things?
Speaker 5: But the yeah, you can't, you can't hold?
Speaker 14: All right?
Speaker 17: I can I take it the opposite direction, sure, Okay, I think holding should be at most the five yard penalty.
Speaker 14: Like, what are we doing?
Speaker 5: Why don't we make it legal? Why don't we make it legal?
Speaker 17: Can you imagine how much fun it would be if offensive lineman could tackle defensive linemen?
Speaker 14: So what's the entire point of the game.
Speaker 17: The entire point of the game is we want more points and we want quarterbacks alive. Right, If you said, what are the two most important things that the NFL does in all their rules and all the different things, take the quarterback, because there's when you've got a third string quarterback in December going against a second string quarterback on.
Speaker 14: Sunday night football. It's not a whole lot of fun.
Speaker 17: Right, So we're trying to protect the quarterbacks, right, and so what better way to do that then to allow holding? Or if they do hold, it's only a five yard penalty, so that it's not second and twenty and you know, warm up the punt team. You know, let's keep alive the possibility that they can still convert that in a ten yard penalty for what? For protecting the quarterback? I mean, you know, come on. And then the other thing that's come up now is they're penalizing the heck out of those tackles for taking a half step off the ball. Okay, that's okay if that's what you guys want to enforce. But what's going to happen more? Quarterbacks are going to get hit. There's a reason those tackles are standing in a half yard off the ball, so they can have a better chance against those monster edge players. There are freaks of nature when you watch this game anymore. And so are we trying to protect the quarterback? Well, then give them that half step. Are we trying to protect the quarterback? Well, let's let them hold a little bit, all right. If we're trying to protect the quarterback, well, even if they do hold, it's only a five yard penalty.
Speaker 2: I love it more from Chris coming up Sunday Night with Mike Turrico. That'll be the Chiefs and the Falcons.
Speaker 5: Great. See again, Chris, Thank you, good to see you, buddy. All right, well, take a break.
Speaker 2: Coming up Jeff Passing from the Mothership on show Hayo Tani's season and how can a team be this bad? The Chicago White Sox.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern, six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio WAPP.
Speaker 5: Show.
Speaker 2: Hayo Tani stole his forty ninth base the season and the Dodgers win over the Marlins. We'll talk to Dave Roberts, the Dodger manager. Coming up tomorrow, Jeff Passen covers the national pastime for the Mothership joins us on the program, What if Otawni finishes forty nine and forty nine.
Speaker 5: And he will still.
Speaker 10: Have one of the most remarkable seasons we've ever seen. And it's every bit as good as fifty to fifty to me, because we should not be so obsessed with things that end in zero. It makes no difference fifty to fifty, fifty one to fifty one, forty nine, forty nine, Who cares? It's awesome regardless of what it is. And to me, Dan, that's what we need to look at, just the breadth of the accomplishment, not the specific number that he's landing on in the end.
Speaker 5: I'm glad you agree with me. We like realm numbers.
Speaker 14: For some stupid reason.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's no.
Speaker 10: I like this is a It's a big pet peeve of mine because I firmly believe the reason that pitchers throw less now than they used to is because we have adopted one hundred as the number that they can pitch until people start thinking their arms are going to fall off. And why because it has two zeros at the end, is it special? No, it's it's one of our ridiculous sporting culture traits that I just want to get rid of, but I know I never will because those zeros are just so attractive, They're so pretty.
Speaker 2: The chances for Otani to pitch in the postseason, well.
Speaker 10: You talk with people in the Dodgers organization and they are saying it is extremely unlikely. We have gone from it's not going to happen to it's extremely unlikely.
Speaker 14: And yet I had.
Speaker 10: A scout who reached out to me yesterday and sent me a couple of videos, and it was a Shoho tani throwing, and in one video he had a splitter grip and in another video he had a slider grip, and he said, you know, this whole time, I've thought it was kind of a long shot, but then I see him going out there and throwing with his full arsenal, with a lot of intent. And generally speaking, if you're doing that coming back off of Tommy John surgery or off of elbow reconstruction surgery, then you know you're doing so with a purpose.
Speaker 1: So I still.
Speaker 10: Think that at the end of the day, it probably does not happen, but I'm a lot more on board with the notion of it being a possibility than I was even a week or two ago. And look, the Dodgers need something. Gavin Stone is now out for the season. Tyler Glass now is now out for the season. Bobby Miller has not pitched well. Walker Viueler even in good outing, walked five guys. Clayton Kershaw. You don't know what you're going to get at this point, and that leaves you relying on Jack Flaherty and Yoshinobu Yamamoto, who spent months on the injured list. It's not a great situation for the Dodgers, but I just have a hard time Dan believing that they are going to put the most valuable player in all of base fall at risk long term for something that short term just may not pay the kind of dividends that would be worth it.
Speaker 2: I'm talking to Jeff Poundson or the Mothership. You know, when I saw your sweatshirt, I thought it said white sucks s u X.
Speaker 10: It says wave sucks, as in the wave.
Speaker 2: I thought it was. I thought it was white instead of socks white.
Speaker 10: No, no, I wouldn't, that's real.
Speaker 14: That would be rude.
Speaker 10: Yeah. Yeah, they haven't been great this year, and you know, I'm glad that I went to Chicago and spent some time with them, actually, because the genesis behind that story was, Okay, if the worst team in baseball history is going to exist, I kind of want to see what it's like there and want to see just how I guess depressing it is for the players. And I'll be honest, man, when I went, it was not depressing.
Speaker 14: It was actually, in.
Speaker 10: A way a little bit hardening that these guys are still trying and that they still care and that they haven't given up, and that just the gravity of what they're dealing with right now, which is being the losingest team in the history of a game that goes back well over a century. You know, we're talking one hundred and twenty five years almost, Dan, in the modern era of baseball, and they're going to be the worst team to ever play. It's not the sort of thing that has like waylaid them or taken them to a place where they're fighting each other. I think they just want to go out there and try and have some spirit and try and salvage this thing, this giant mess, as best they can. And I appreciate the effort. I don't appreciate the game and the skill and the quality of baseball that they're playing. But they're trying, and you got to give something.
Speaker 2: For that number of teams who can win the World Series this year is what.
Speaker 10: They're going to be, twelve playoff teams, and I think twelve teams can win the World Series this year. This is I've been covering baseball Dan for twenty one years now. I do not remember a postseason going into it where I thought it was as wide open as this year is. And that sort of started to manifest itself mid season when suddenly I realized, like every team has had a bad stretch, and not just like a week or two off, Like the Phillies were just like mediocre for a month, and I think they're probably the best team. The Dodgers just you know, they have a great record, but they're bull time questionable. They're starting pitching really questionable. Everybody out there has a weakness, and so I'm not looking forward to making playoff predictions this year because I think that this is going to be like an anti chalk World Series.
Speaker 14: And we're also coming off one in.
Speaker 10: Which the Texas Rangers in the Arizona Diamondbacks, you know, like a ninety win team and like an eighty four win team face off the fewest combined wins in baseball history between two World Series teams. And I could absolutely see something like that happening.
Speaker 6: Again.
Speaker 5: Good to talk to you. Thank you always a pleasure.
Speaker 14: Yeah, thank you.
Speaker 2: That's Jeff Painson too, the Mothership ESPN Senior Baseball Insider.
Speaker 5: Did I come up with something here?
Speaker 2: The White Sox su X you know, had that in this script form?
Speaker 5: Yes, Paul, Do.
Speaker 9: You think it's somewhat relaxing to be a White Sox fan these days. The season's been over since four or five week.
Speaker 5: Wait to be a White Sox fan.
Speaker 9: Yeah, Like, if you're a serious White time, no.
Speaker 2: Because you're going to end up with the worst record in the history of the sport. I would be nervous, right, But they have to do what are the They have to have wins in Uh, let's see, they have to win seven of their last nine games to avoid matching the sixty to two minutes. I'm going to take the under with victories there, So they have to win seven of their last nine. I'm going to bet against that.
Speaker 5: You don't want to.
Speaker 9: Become close to making history, Yeah, you want to completely absolutely.
Speaker 2: Coming up Final Hour, al Michaels will be on the call tonight Thursday Night Football. Albino will join us and we're going to play the Woge game. Yes, there is a woge game and you could play along at home or in your car with us.
Speaker 5: Final Hour on the way more phone calls.
Speaker 2: Stat of the Day is always brought to you by the great folks at Panini America, the official trading cards of the Dan Patrick Show. The Jets are giving six to the Patriots, a team that historically they have done very poorly against.