Speaker 1: Ridiculous Crime is a production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: Yo, Elizabeth Dutton, Yo, Zaron Barnette, My girl, how you been good?
Speaker 3: Good looking?
Speaker 4: Good? You look? You look really like you've been getting sun well.
Speaker 3: I shaved my head.
Speaker 4: That's what the glow is nice. Okay, I got a question for you. With that new shiny doll. You know what's ridiculous besides that? Pate I do.
Speaker 3: Mobile Army Surgical Hospital. Are you familiar with that?
Speaker 4: Yeah? Yeahs TV show?
Speaker 5: Right, So I'm talking about the novel, the TV show, the movie Richard Hooker. He wrote the book Mash and novel about three Army doctors, Richard Hooker Hooker, and then they they made the movie and they made the TV show and you know, it was like one of the best.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: The TV show is kind of like an early dramedy, so they had like comedic elements, but I mean, come on, it's like wartime. There are very heavy elements to it too, totally.
Speaker 4: And it was like before the West Wing in terms of that earnestness of like we're gonna do a real real issues but in a metaphor.
Speaker 3: And give you a little chuckle here and there.
Speaker 5: Did you know that the finale, the series finale for.
Speaker 4: Mash Yeah, most watched show until JayR got shot.
Speaker 3: Right, Well, no, it still is.
Speaker 5: It's the most it's like the most watched finale, and it broke the record for the highest percentage of homes with television sets watching a TV.
Speaker 4: Yes, exactly, everybody who had a TV pretty much was watching. It was one of those rare moments.
Speaker 3: You now.
Speaker 5: One of the demi ridiculous things I have, Like the intro ridiculous thing I have about this is that there's what they say is an urban legend, but then people have kind of backed it up from New York sanitation. Is that apparently when the show, when the two and a half hour episode ended, that New York experienced the highest water usage of anyone given time because everyone had been holding it and went to go to the bathroom at.
Speaker 4: The same time and they all flushed at the same time.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that there was Someone said that seventy seven percent of people in New York.
Speaker 3: City flushed their toilets.
Speaker 4: That's insite.
Speaker 3: Like so many people were watching this.
Speaker 5: They set up auditoriums for the US Army in Korea that was still there to watch the episode. Just fourteen hour time difference. They got to watch the episode, so it was huge.
Speaker 3: It was huge. Yes, it's now that's kind of ridiculous, right, that number.
Speaker 5: But I've got something more ridiculous when it comes to Mash. Okay, did you know that there was a mash video game developed in nineteen eighty.
Speaker 3: Three for uh Atari? Yeah? Atari ape it?
Speaker 4: Okay, what did you do?
Speaker 3: Well?
Speaker 5: So you would control a helicopter and army doctors perform surgery.
Speaker 3: Yeah, apparently where's this big surgery?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Okay, so here's the Jamie Farr did some of like the you know, promotional stuff for it.
Speaker 3: Address really aggressively marketed.
Speaker 4: This was a whole.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so they like, you know, it's this big deal, this big push. But then the reception. One guy, Mark Berman, who wrote for Electronic Fun with Computers and Games, I thought that realized the war found it quote heartless given how quote gruesome the war was, that it lacked humanity in the you know that was in the film and the and the TV show. But he said it says despite this, Berman still found the gameplay quote terrific.
Speaker 4: The gameplay is amazing, amazing gameplay. Someone else field surgery component.
Speaker 5: Yeah, someone else said it was boring because it didn't have the humor and the personalities of the TV show.
Speaker 3: Here's my favorite though, how would have the computer and video games?
Speaker 4: In their review of the magazine Computer and Video Games, Yes.
Speaker 5: They found the control that controlling a scalpel using a joystick was less responsive than it was on a keyboard.
Speaker 4: There really was a scalpel.
Speaker 3: Yes, scalpel.
Speaker 4: And then you got to use a joystick on an Atari. It was blown apart bodies. The kids are in their scalpel and elbows deep in blood.
Speaker 3: And then suicide is painless plays yeah, and they're like.
Speaker 4: A trap, Can you hand me a stint or whatever?
Speaker 3: Exactly?
Speaker 4: This is amazing.
Speaker 3: And then hot Liss.
Speaker 4: And this wasn't a hit. I've never heard of this game.
Speaker 5: Yeah, well, I mean I don't think it was much of a hit. Like I said, they went nuts on the marketing. Then they cut the price in half because there were too many Atari six twenty six hundred games on.
Speaker 4: The market, okay at twenty six hundred.
Speaker 3: And that was the other thing is.
Speaker 4: You're playing with a very simple joystick like Pong level like Tank.
Speaker 5: That's all you had with Atari was a button and a joystick. Now I will tell you that they held a contest for someone to come up with the premise for mash to video game, like this time with more PTSD, and they were going to give twenty five grand to whoever came up with the best idea, and then you'd also get like, you know, a mash t shirt. Some of the prizes, like if you didn't get it, but you came in close, you.
Speaker 4: Could get a jeep, like a military jeep.
Speaker 3: Get like an AMC jeep.
Speaker 5: They give you like computers, other cool video games. The sequel never happened. No one came up with a good idea.
Speaker 3: I guess, Okay, there you go. So that's ridiculous, ridiculous.
Speaker 4: Wow, I'm gonna need a moment. Yeah, that's a lot of process. That's a hell of a good one. I've got one for you if you got a second please. I mean, honestly, I was reading about this one and I could not believe that I wasn't the one to pull off this publicity stunt. I was like, really kind I was kind of heated. I can tell him, you know, like, how could this guy steal all the dumb glory for himself? Oh no, yeah, yeah, this California snowboarder YouTube influencer. Wanna be this guy? He takes a flight, right, and he takes his camera. Now I say takes a flight, I mean his personal plane. Oh he doesn't so yeah, no ticket involved, no drink service.
Speaker 3: He and then it was like being on Southwest exactly.
Speaker 4: It's just like Southwest and he's like up there, solo flight and he has this emergency and all of a sudden he has to crash his plane. Yeah, it turns out he may have done it on purpose. What yes, for clout and for cash? Yeah, Elizabeth, if this was me, I would have crashed this plane for free. I would have crashed this plane for the people. Trust me. This story is even wilder because this guy, he didn't do it for the people. He did it for the GRAM. Oh boy, this is ridiculous crime A podcast about absurd and outrageous capers, heists and cons. It's always ninety nine percent murder free and ridiculous.
Speaker 3: Yep, it is.
Speaker 4: Certified, right, is total guarantee. That's what the kids say right back in like ninety eight. Elizabeth, you know how sometimes you worry I won't make it here for our recordings of the show, because I've done something stupid again and got myself injured. Yeah right, well you must be glad that I don't have a pilot's license. Could you imagine if I could get up to twenty thousand feet no one could stop me.
Speaker 3: It's like, would you pilot the plane while wearing roller blades?
Speaker 4: I could? Then we need to hit a gas if you just.
Speaker 3: Put holes in the plane and when you want to land, he tried to style with rollerblades.
Speaker 4: I'm loving this. I know this is genius. So uh do you know that? Like when I was a teenager, I tried to fly.
Speaker 5: On my own, tried to fly on you with like a plane or just like a little PCP and jumped off a building.
Speaker 4: No PCP, okay, but I did jump off a building.
Speaker 3: Wait what?
Speaker 4: Oh yeah? I used to hang off the sides of buildings. It was crazy, so I could. I didn't get my driver's license at like early, like at sixteen, like most kids, like, I waited till I was like think twenty. But my best my best friend, he got his driver's license, right, so we got in his car, and being teenagers, we do dumb stuff, right, So eventually I was able to talk him into helping me achieve my dreams of flight. And you may be wondering, would he drive you to the airport to steal a plane? No, Elizabeth, I didn't steal a plane. We went out into this field right and it was this field, you know, Davis, with the town that I grew up in, the one where you went to college. This was in downtown Davis, and there was a grass field. This was like where they have like now a mall, like at the right by the train tracks to go to like the freeway right in downtown.
Speaker 3: Is one point where the unto the freeway.
Speaker 4: Yes, runs right there anyway, So right there we used to go and drive around and I would get up on top of his car and we would then get up to speed and I'd tap on the car roof. He would slam on the brakes and I would be thrown forward and I would fly.
Speaker 3: When you say, oh, when you say up to speed, what was speed?
Speaker 4: You know? We worked it out that it was thirty was the best.
Speaker 3: Speed, thirty miles an hour.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And that took a little of figuring out. We figured twenty five was not fast enough to throw me far enough in front of the car that he wouldn't run me over. Thirty five was a little too fast where I was like, when I'm coming down, I'm rolling too much. I could break an arm, and forty was like, whoa, this is way too fast. If thirty was a sweet spot where I could get up, go like forty feet in the air, maybe fifty or whatever, flying squirrel up my arms.
Speaker 3: Out and then he slams on the brakes and then you fly.
Speaker 4: Huh yeah, so that's what you. He would slam on the brakes.
Speaker 3: I would fail for your parents.
Speaker 4: My dear mother. The first time we did this, we hadn't worked out like, oh, I'm gonna roll right you you turn the wheel left, so you didn't.
Speaker 3: Do like schematics like a grash paper.
Speaker 4: I worked out like how it would go that way, feels like triangles. I was like, okay, I'll be up here. You hit the brakes. It'll throw me like this at this kind of arc. Right, So I'm like doing stuntman math as I figured it out. I figured this out works right, So I'm like, I'm gonna dream of flying and we're gonna make it happen.
Speaker 3: Yet on the road on the grass.
Speaker 4: No, he would We're on a grass field.
Speaker 3: So he'd drive on the field exactly, but he.
Speaker 4: Would slide on the grass when he would hit the brakes. So the first time he did it, I'm in front of him, right, and he's sliding on the grass, and he's worried he's gonna run me over. So he drives, you know, he basically steers to the left and then rolls to you know, the car to rolls to his left is now relative to me. I roll off to the right. Yeah, And luckily that we both made the right choices. He could have gone to the right. I got went to the right. That would have been really bad, or you know whatever. Or he just didn't turn it all and I didn't move it all. He ran me over either way, totally survived, right, So what.
Speaker 3: You're trying to say is that you and your friend were morons.
Speaker 4: Yes, exactly. Okay, So also what I'm trying to say, I.
Speaker 5: Kind of have brain damage from this. How many times did you fly off the car?
Speaker 4: Oh? Thirty forty fifty times? Like tons as many times.
Speaker 3: It wasn't like we did this three times, Oh.
Speaker 4: No, we did this multiple days until we got started getting seen people noticed us doing injury.
Speaker 3: You had I.
Speaker 4: Never get injured. I mean, like i'd like get bruised a little bit, never like broke anything or twisted anything. Because this wasn't the beginning. This was not the first thing I had dreamed of flight since I was a little boy. You know, Like how was that we go kind of person who would go and like it doesn't matter, but like I wanted to get up into the sky, right, And so what I'm saying is, if you're going to intentionally crash land to earth, I understand you, Like I get you, like I am your people. Man, Like I do this for yes, three four second flights, and you're doing this for like hours or whatever. But well, I just gotta ask you, did you and your brother ever do anything like this?
Speaker 5: Man?
Speaker 4: You're jumping bed high five like silly stumps.
Speaker 5: No, I mean here's I did break my wrist kind of like jumping a ten speed bicycle off something that's pretty stupid.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there you go.
Speaker 5: But for the most part, like I don't know if I've said it on here or not, but I don't go to amusement parks.
Speaker 3: I don't go on roller.
Speaker 5: Coasters because like I spend most of my time trying to not die, So it's not an exciting feeling for me. Feeling like you will die, like, I don't get a thrill out.
Speaker 4: I don't like edging on death.
Speaker 3: No, I come on, I'm the one who wants to start sling.
Speaker 4: Some people do like enjoy roller coasters because it's like they know they're not really gonna die.
Speaker 3: I don't like you know you're not going to die. But I don't like that.
Speaker 4: Feeling that, even getting close to it, they're verging on it.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 5: I like to lay in a hammock and enjoy the sunshine.
Speaker 4: Count the profits from stall, like.
Speaker 5: Think about all the possible diseases I might have and could take me at any.
Speaker 4: Moment, and avoided by not going out of the house percisely. Okay, Well, the reason I told you about all of this, about my teenage attempts to fly and my willingness to crash land my own body was so that you know, I don't want you to worry about me more. Know that I'm good at this stuff, right, But that's not really it. I just want to set the table for the story I'm about to tell you. Now. This fella he one upped me right because he didn't use a car. He went out and got himself a plane and then he flew that for like thirty five minutes and then he intentionally crashed that into the earth.
Speaker 5: Hu.
Speaker 4: Even I wouldn't do that. Yeah, I was like, wow, show off.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Anyway, So the grand spirit of idiots everywhere, Elizabeth, I'd like to introduce you to my man, Trevor Jacob, twenty nine year old pilot, skydiver, competitive snowboarder, all around publicity stuntman. Now. On Christmas Eve twenty twenty one, Trevor Jacob, he uploaded this thirteen minute video to YouTube with the I grabbing title of I crashed my plane Now. Spoiler alert, Trevor Jacobs, he totally survived the plane crash, so you don't have to worry about like.
Speaker 3: Well, so he didn't write it from the after life crash.
Speaker 4: Plan, his family didn't post. It was his last wish.
Speaker 3: Till his last words post I crashed my plane.
Speaker 4: Okay, there it is. So the video of the crash and him surviving it was a monster hit on his YouTube channel, right, he gets like three point one million views and yeah, and so that's like this video. It was a a roller coaster of emotion, not just because he's like, oh, I crashed the plane, but like beyond the whole plane crash angle. The flight was also originally meant to be away for Trevor to go and honor a friend who passed.
Speaker 5: I was so hoping that you were saying that he was carrying like life flight like organs.
Speaker 4: He had a heart up into like a like one of those little cooler exactly.
Speaker 5: It's all thumping away in there, tumbles down a ravine.
Speaker 4: No, he wasn't a lifeguy, flight guy, know, he was just he had his friend's ashes with him.
Speaker 3: What.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so he in the plane, uh huh yeah.
Speaker 3: Was he gonna like sprinkle him as he flew?
Speaker 4: Like that was the thing?
Speaker 3: Yeah, like like tinker bell stuff exactly.
Speaker 4: It's like, yeah, here's some magic tink tinker bell dust.
Speaker 3: He's tinkle bell when he does.
Speaker 4: He's zooming around higher over the mountains, and he's in southern California, because of course he is, and he's he's above the ski resort.
Speaker 3: He's in Southern California exactly exactly.
Speaker 4: The guy's like the well, you just got to hear his friend's name. The friend's name is Johnny Strange. Yeah, So on this fateful day, Trevor's journeyed up above the clouds to spread the ashes of Johnny Strange. Okay, now, this dearly departed best friend, Johnny Strange, had passed away from a base jumping accident. Right, So, I don't know if Trevor planned like empty his friend's ashes into the sky so that he could make it safely to Earth this time.
Speaker 3: Is he just like replaying the whole exactly?
Speaker 4: That's what I thought him, Like, that's kind of not what you should do, Like anything, you should not do that. That's kind of how whatever, it's not my call. Maybe he wanted, as I said, to make it so if he's like, you know, making sure all of my ashes eventually get there anyway, what that's not what happened. Because the day November twenty fourth, twenty twenty one, Trevor Jacobs he drives out to Lompoc City Airports, little airport in southern California. His flight plan would have him fly up to this tiny airstrip in the mountains that the locals called Mammoth Yosemite Airport.
Speaker 3: Oh, no, I you know where that is. I know where that is?
Speaker 4: Look at you Jet Center right, flying to ski resorts without Yeah, it's.
Speaker 3: Like Paris, Milan, Yosemite.
Speaker 4: Yosemite exactly in my book I know I've read so Trevor Jacob. He climbs into his tiny personal plane. So they told you. He goes through his his like pre flight check. He contacts the tower, he logs his flight plan. Then he fires up the propeller. Because it's a one prop propeller plane.
Speaker 3: Do you have to get out and spin it?
Speaker 4: Yeah? Contact, So he aims the plane. Still, No, he aims the plane's nose down the runway, grips the throttle, fires the engine, and then he turns that little plane loosened the sky and now it's a little plane, right, So it rolls down the runway, the wheels lift off the tarmac, and then it just slowly begins. It's a scent into sky. Doesn't zoom into the sky. This plane is a nineteen forty plane.
Speaker 3: Oh, he didn't make it himself. He wasn't doing it, old John Denver.
Speaker 4: No, it's not like one of those aerial planes like, oh, I've got like the lighter than air thing. But yeah, exactly, now one of those. He's a YouTube guy. So he gets himself an old plane.
Speaker 3: That's what we call in the business a tuber.
Speaker 4: So this tuber, he's got plenty of cameras right with him for his flag. The plane was outfitted with multiple cameras, multiple angles for close ups, and for narration's sake, he had a selfie stick in there with him. So he's talking to the camera on the stick and he's got you know, he's up there high above Los Padres National Forest right and below him is stretching hills, mountains. They're all recently made green from a winter rain or I guess autumn ranks. It's still it's November, so the world below him, it's turning now into wrinkled mountains, just draped with this green cloth of fresh grass. Right, boom, tragedy strikes.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I laughing. Tragedy strikes.
Speaker 4: So as this tragedy and I don't know why you're laughing, Elizabeth, but the tragedy strikes. And this guy's like, oh, what am I going to do? But he's not like some newbie pilot. This is not the first time he's taking this nineteen forty little tiny plane up into the sky. So he's like, okay, I got a cool headed I know what I'm going to do, and I'm going to tell you about it after this break, because tragedy does strike and gravity comes into play.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna adjust my bald cap, all.
Speaker 4: Right, Elizabeth. Yeah, you ready to hear about this tragedy striking this YouTube pilot and a madman extraordinaire. Yeah, yeah, you don't see him. I want to see you fired up. This man could die, Elizabeth. He's got his friend's ashes with him.
Speaker 3: Well spoiler alert, he told me he doesn't.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but he could die die. I could be lying. Maybe he died. Maybe this is the one percent. Yeah, keep yourself on the edge of your seat.
Speaker 3: How horrific.
Speaker 5: Like at the end, you're like And then Johnny Strange wasn't dead, and he popped out and shot the guy in the back of the head and the plane crashed.
Speaker 4: It's the bleakest story I'm ever gonna tell.
Speaker 3: But I want crashed into a kitten orphanage.
Speaker 4: All over on a school. So anyway, Elizabeth, rather than telling you about this tragedy in the air, I'd like you to close your eyes. I like you to picture it. You are a single mother out hunting for your children. I say, hunting because you are an apex predator. You are a California condor.
Speaker 6: Yes, yes, you have a wide, majestic wingspan which allows you to float high on the thermals, those swallows of pressurized air.
Speaker 4: You circle high above the California mountain lands looking for lunch for your youngins.
Speaker 3: Yes, I do.
Speaker 4: Then you hear it a propeller. It's one of those noisy, human made fake birds that are always polluting the skies. You are not a fan of this human with wings?
Speaker 3: Should I pull an ORCA take it out, ORCA energy on them, take it out for my brethren.
Speaker 4: Well, suddenly, though the noise stops. The propeller just cuts out. No sound being a problem for you anymore. Now that's gonna be a problem for the human and the plane. So once this engine cuts out, you're like, oh, nice, quiet again. Now the guy inside it's freaking out. He's like, not good quiet. Now you can almost make out what the pilot is saying in hurried words as he talks to his selfie stick. He narrates his ongoing emergency. His eyes are a little wild, his voice excited. He tells the anonymous viewers of his video, whom he hopes will one day watch when maybe his last earthly communication. He tells the viewers he's pretty sure the engine is out and he's truly screwed. So, as Trevor Jacob put it in I quote, Holy, I'm over the mountains and I have an engine out. So you circle the plane gazing at this man in distress. He looks kind of silly talking to his phone on the stick, all by himself in the sky. But whatever. Now, when Trevor looks around, he sees nothing but mountains below him, no stretches, a flatter, no good spots to land. He shows the camera what he sees. He says he can't get the engine to restart, so he abandons his plans to dump the ashes of his best friend, Johnny Strange. Now he just hopes he can survive his time in the sky. Elizabeth, you take a quiet flap and just watch.
Speaker 3: Just give him the middle feather, Trevor.
Speaker 4: He doesn't panic, He doesn't lose his head. His plane may be rapidly returning to Earth, but he knows he doesn't have to go with it. As you circle high and wide, watching him with the utmost curiosity, what's he gonna do? You see the door of the tiny plane kick out. The pilot leans his head out. He shouts a few more choice expletives. Then, just like a fledgling, like a brand new baby bird taking that first jump from the nest, the pilot leaps from the plane. You're like, oh, it's not gonna go well, bro, you ain't got a feather on you. Now the sky is with you. So you curl and go with the thermals, and you're gonna watch him go down. He's doing his best impression of a bird, kind of flapping his arms, but it's a really pathetic effort. He's neither soaring nor really flying at all. Instead, he just plummets. He's like a soft rock. No bird, no bat, nothing that you can go. I recognize your style. You just watch it and you circle him again. He's still plummeting. He's filming it all though. He's still got the selfie stick on him, and he's filming. The plane has gone in the other direction and it's looking like it's headed for the mountains. Gravity is taking over both. They're both headed to the earth. You're just circling again. Then, just as suddenly as he leapt from the plane, his parachute unfurls from his backside, and the parachute fills with air. It's Trevor Jacob safely sways back and forth to the sky until he comes to a gentle crash, landing in the high mountain desert. The plane, however, it beats him to the ground. You see it turn into a flaming wreck. The dude is super lucky that the plane didn't land in the woods of the National Forest and said it hit the mountain. Meanwhile, you soar off going, I don't know why they're allowed in the sky, such silly creatures.
Speaker 3: Now, Elizabeth, did his buddy get double cremated?
Speaker 4: I don't know really the story because.
Speaker 3: He didn't have it in his arms.
Speaker 4: No, no, he did not have the earned in his arm. And he's not having like from Baltimore over here. He not. No, he did not have to earn in his arms.
Speaker 3: So he's so, yeah, double cremation.
Speaker 4: I don't I don't really know happens. What's just saying that Johnny Strange double creamde Okay, there you go. So when Trevor he comes back to earth safely, the dude landed in a prickly desert bush, so at least there's that he lands like in a cactus. Right, He's like, oh, this sucks. Right, that's about the only real danger though he experiences. He totally pulls this off. Now, Elizabeth, can you guess what this cat's first words after returning.
Speaker 3: Safely to the Earth explative.
Speaker 4: No, it's mundane. I'm just so happy to be alive. So, now, if you're going to take the time to fake a plane crash, you would think you would give yourself a better line than just like, I'm happy to think about.
Speaker 5: What would you probably say, like if you, if you survive, have a plane crash, like your parachute opens, you land in like a man's in neat or some thorn bush.
Speaker 4: That's right, Gravity try again. I would be like that, Like.
Speaker 5: When I've broken bones and been like laying on the ground, you just go oh no, oh god, okay, okay, oh.
Speaker 4: I shouted gravity. Me and gravity. We got a long standing cue.
Speaker 3: I would just be having like trying.
Speaker 4: He ain't killed him yet, gravity.
Speaker 5: Although I got stung by a wasp once and they yelled, dude.
Speaker 4: Take it personal. That's how I relate to nature. It's a personal thing between Probably I'll do exactly at the Earth at the Earth. So this guy he doesn't do that. He says, I'm just gonna kind of taken in what happened.
Speaker 3: He's a great actor.
Speaker 4: He's really amazing, Right, It's like, what's that guy that Josh Josh, Paul Logan, Paul Logan, Paul Paul Logan, the boxer Josh Paul producer Dave Paul Hogan. I don't even think Logan Paul Logan Paul is that he's the boxer blonde kid. He did like the stunt we went to, like the suicide forest, but on YouTube, and he had toologized like I didn't know the suicide for us or whatever.
Speaker 5: I have no idea.
Speaker 4: Then he started boxing with real boxers. He's now a professional boxer, but he started out as like a YouTube guy like this. He's basically the same guy, right, This guy's like phenomenon impression of like him. He's got that same kind of energy. Right.
Speaker 3: That's really weird.
Speaker 4: Video is hard to find because it got taken down because of legal reasons. Well, we're about to get into.
Speaker 3: Did you check Reddit?
Speaker 4: I used your hall pacet Reddit. I'm like, I'm with the inspector. Take me to the back rooms. So my eyes are still hurting from what I saw. Anyway, So this dude, Trevor Jacob, right, what does he do now he's parachute is safely the earth. Well, he's in the desert, so he's got to survive that and that's no easy shore, right, So he starts hiking out and he's like, you know, have you you ever been stuck in the desert.
Speaker 3: I've been hiking in the desert.
Speaker 4: Have you ever been like lost? Have you been hikinger?
Speaker 5: Yeah, like in Toyobi National Park, Nevada or Zion.
Speaker 4: Did you get like any moments of like panic where you realize.
Speaker 3: Like, well, no, oh, I think it was. I think it was in Toyoba.
Speaker 5: It was with my family and we ran out of food on the last day, like on our way back. Yeah, And so everyone was bickering over like a little thing of trail mix.
Speaker 3: And then like Susie.
Speaker 5: Logistics over here, I told everyone to stop, like we're walking back to like where the car was.
Speaker 3: We've been out there a for a few days.
Speaker 5: I take off my frame backpack and I start pulling power bars out of the straps that I had hidden all up and yeah, they were like, but it was all power bars, and I start pulling them out and handing him to everyone because I'm like, I know, you guys are just gonna like you'd burn through this stuff. This is my emergency stash. So I basically saved my family.
Speaker 4: Thank you, thank you you. I know, Right, this guy, he's just stumbling around in the desert. He's like, I need water. He's drinking from like any water he finds, which, by the way, don't do that, don't you if you find like standing water in a hole in the desert.
Speaker 5: If he hadn't pooped his pants falling out of the plane, he's gonna poop his pants now.
Speaker 4: Yeah, pretty much super gard So now that he has not started a wildfire and one of the worst.
Speaker 3: Places, right, and he said this is in November.
Speaker 4: Yeah, November twenty one.
Speaker 3: The wildfire season extends to November.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he was still in the window wildfire season. Luckily there had been a recent rain and luckily where he crashed the plane was not directly in the woods. That's the only thing, right, But now that the dude is sitting there and he's like, you know, he's got to like go through hill and dale desert and canyon ravine and so forth. He's got. You know, he can't turn it a dale exactly. He needs to keep his body together in his mind on sexiness. So reality quickly sets in for him, and he's like, I got to get out of it before it's dark and all that.
Speaker 3: His phone is still able to still record.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but he doesn't have reception. Man, out of here, of course, that's the whole point. That's the one thing that's gonna happen. But he doesn't have reception. Man, I can't get out of it. I don't believe him anyway, So he's stumbled around the desert. He gets through, it goes nighttime, it's dark. He's telling his future viewers it's so hot out of here. Just need water so bad, that's what the before he got dark obviously. Then he makes it to the stark and then he before the night actually follows as you reverse this, he goes and he has to find his crash plane because he wants to make sure that one you didn't start a wildfire. But he can pretty much tell for your no smoke. But too, he needs to get the footage from the cameras. That's the real important you get Johnny Strange out of the.
Speaker 3: Out of the film double Crematorium.
Speaker 4: Whatever's left of the plane. So he hikes across the mountains and canyons as they tell you. He gets to his plane crash. Somehow he finds it, locates the plane, planes totaled. He it's never seen the skies again, this plane.
Speaker 3: I'm so upset for the Strange family. By the way, yes, this is just discussing.
Speaker 4: Go ahead, So Trevor, he's able to recover Johnny Stranger's earn or whatever dented the camera footage. Then he says on video, thank you higher power for watching over me.
Speaker 3: It's like, so like to try and be non offensive to all listeners.
Speaker 4: Higher power, higher power. And he says that to the cel phone whatever.
Speaker 3: Whatever you guys believe in voty.
Speaker 5: I like both red and black licorice.
Speaker 3: He's like with the NFL out exactly, that's his vibe.
Speaker 4: So the dude, he stumbles his way out of the mountains in his rob low NFL hat and he gets to first mountain, then hill, then finally farmland and in dawn some farmer finds him. He claims he's been a long night of hiking, right, He's saved by this farmer, and the dude eventually makes it back home. He's not hurt, totally survived his ordeal. Once he's there, he uploads the footage. He edits it. On Christmas Eve, he posts the video on YouTube.
Speaker 3: Right, I imagine.
Speaker 5: Him sitting in his house with the backpack with the parachute still connected to it, like quickly editing at his computer.
Speaker 4: He didn't even take it off, so he posts his holiday gift to the world one. You know. The world at this point, you know, is eager for distraction. So you can imagine the holiday season of twenty twenty one. In bathrooms all around the world. People are watching this video. They're in the backs of cars on uncomfortable voyages. He is being watched. So this guy, this thirteen minute long video him crashing a perfectly good airplane. It becomes huge hit. Many are entertained, right, many are amused. Many recommended to a friend monster viral hit. Some go this is a fraud, Some say this is a hoax. That other say this is chick hanery. Right, and those people all seem to know something about what we call planes. They all said this is not right. If you've ever been in a plane, you know how to fly a plane, and some of your favorite people, the flight simulator crowd, they got heated, right. So yeah, so if this lucky, you're not so lucky aviator, right. They all call him an aeronautical con artist. They're like, and they decide, we can make videos too, bro, So they start.
Speaker 3: Making videos his videos.
Speaker 4: To prove all the ways that he faked this. You remember that guy on Reddit his wife or his girlfriend wanted to know if she was the a because she wouldn't go along with her boyfriend or her husband's insistence that she introduced him as a pilot and even though he was just a flight simulator guy.
Speaker 5: That's that's right, That is why I love that stuff, right, So imagine that guy who's going around insisting that his wife introduced.
Speaker 4: As a pilot.
Speaker 5: Yeah, the white like he what job? Did he have office job or something? But he had a whole setup in his house for flight simulators and he had logged like hundreds of hours thousands, never been inside a plane, no, never been in the sky, and yet he yeah, so at parties and like at work functions for.
Speaker 4: Her, for her work functions like meeting her boss. He wants to be introduced as a.
Speaker 3: Pilot, and he get really offended if she didn't.
Speaker 4: So imagine if that guy was mad at you and he wanted to post videos proving that, yes, right, he's going to bring full throttle energy. Right, So the flight simulator.
Speaker 3: Pilots no pun intended.
Speaker 4: So the real live pilots and the flight simulator guys they get on a tag team to take down Trevor Jacob. So now this is not like an instance of blaming the victim. I just want to say flat out, because this dude laid down the gauntlet. But I'm just saying he asked for it, Like he definitely totally asked. What's about the to him? So the pilots they post video after video, also during the holiday break, plenty of people can watch those. And you know his I crashed by playing video with his three point million views. I don't know all the view totals, but they start racking up views too, right. So now we got like a YouTube like Ecology going videos on videos on videos, right, and this guy like he's got all these online commenters now coming because they've watched the flight simulator guys videos. So they come and they post on his videos. So eventually he's getting like the revenge of gravity, but from flight simulator guys. Right, so he has to like, you know, the response videos are so bad that he has to close comments on his YouTube video, which is always a bad sign. That's like basically the white flag. Right, So he's not admitted, but these guys are coming at him with legitimate questions.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 4: There's always, as I told you, suspicious aspects of the Trevor Jacobs fatal flight. The guys had questions, Elizabeth, can you imagine some of these questions? Ummm no, okay, I.
Speaker 3: Got them, but I'm eager to hear them.
Speaker 4: For one, why so many cameras like who what he said?
Speaker 3: Tuber?
Speaker 4: Exactly? So that was the explained away by some number Two, why was he wearing a parachute when he took off?
Speaker 5: That is a really good question because he's like flying the plane.
Speaker 3: So is he sitting way far up? Yes, exactly, he's got like you know, it's.
Speaker 5: Like when you're a kid, you get on the school bus and you got your backpack on and you're like pressed against the friend.
Speaker 4: But also the parachute would be under him too, would be on his back and underneath his butt. You would have to write the seat cushions out to be able to sit in this tiny plane with the parachute on. Although I got something going on a milk crate flying this plane.
Speaker 5: If I were, if I flew airplanes, I would have like eight parashes.
Speaker 4: Yes, I know you would have them in the Yes, you know you have a parachute for the plane, the plane the paris.
Speaker 3: Yes, do they make those?
Speaker 4: You actually make those? I think someone like you invented it was like, this plane needs a parachute.
Speaker 3: And then the plane like doesn't go off the ground. That's my kind of plane.
Speaker 4: Tell the other questions they got to more specifically, why was the door already unlatched? I guess that's like not common. Well, yeah, I guess you keep it long you don't want to.
Speaker 5: Fall out of the condors coming up and cracking it.
Speaker 4: Open, making laughs like you got food, got a candy.
Speaker 3: Bars, you got any games on your phone.
Speaker 4: So other people are like, why didn't he try to restart the engine?
Speaker 3: A solid question, your first, really good question.
Speaker 4: And then there's the other question, why the hell did he jump out when he could have easily coasted the plane to the ground even without an engine? Oh, remember I told you like I would flying squirrel, but as just as a human being in the air. I know if I put my arms out and spread like my clothing enough, I would start not get lyft, but I could control my descent because you just have certain properties in the air. He's in a plane.
Speaker 2: It's designed those light planes. You can kind of Oh dude, the right brothers killed it. The plane is an amazing creation. I mean, it's like birds and bats. They're made to fly and the glide. The only they don't need an engine, right they need power to like you know, flap or whatever.
Speaker 3: That's their heart their engine exactly.
Speaker 4: Same for a plane. It doesn't need an engine, needs an engine to get into the sky. After that it can like circle and soar and glide because it the wings. Right now, this is unlike those devil creations the helicopter. You can't get me into a helicopter, Elizabeth. I mean it just seems like a bad with gravity. And you know I got a feud with gravity. Yes, no offense, mister Sikorski, But I'm not so into your invention. Now. If I was an upcoming rock star or soul singer, then no, you could not get me into a small play. But other than that, I trust planes. I can't sing for anything, so I can go into small planes. But helicopters, uh.
Speaker 3: Huh so and you cleared twenty seven So.
Speaker 4: Exactly it's the roaders.
Speaker 2: I know.
Speaker 4: Yes they can auto rotate, but that's not a wing sense exactly. Well, this guy he had wings, so he could have glided down. So everyone's like, dude, why didn't he just mean? This is made. The reason why people like beginning pilots fly this plane is because if the engine cuts out, you can safely glide just land in a field.
Speaker 3: Okay, And it's like a well known thing.
Speaker 5: Oh yes, as I told meet like a secret life hack that he didn't watch the TikTok.
Speaker 4: He didn't miss the wrong TikTok. But uh as I'm telling you, these guys, the online commenters and especially the flight simulator guys and the real life pilots, they all wanted to get after them, right. But then they're also like aviation lawyers and flight instructors who got in on this. It just gets wilder and wilder. So let's take a break, yes, and then I'll be back and I can tell you about how this Uh, let's take down Trevor Jacob party turns into let's call the FAA. You're right, Elizabeth, We're back.
Speaker 5: Those ads were so good, went on so long that my hair is now as long as my way goes really nice.
Speaker 3: The Crystal Gale.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the flat iron worked so christ I'll be really impressed by the way. I told you the top of this that I wanted to be a pilot and I had my friend like, you know, take me out on the car and throw me into the sky. Right. Well, I wasn't the only insane person I knew. Like, I had this other friend, Ted, and he wanted to be a pilot too, And we grew up together. And when we were boys, he like he and I we were the We go to like the Nutcracker. We would go to the nut Tree and you know the back of the California where they have the black and white World War Two plane posters.
Speaker 3: It was originally like a nut orchard, and then they had.
Speaker 4: Turned into a tourist track.
Speaker 3: It was a roadside the restaurant.
Speaker 4: Yes, great restaurant had little airport, and so they sold plane stuff, and so we would go there and buy all this plane stuff, and you know, like we would like also go to Fairfield for the air shows, like because there's an Air Force base there. So this cat super bright, my friend Ted. He decides I'm going to become a pilot, and he goes and joins the Air Force. And the Air Force was smarter than Ted because they're like, you're not going to become a pilot here, like we're not putting that on our shoulders. You got to do that private. So he's like, I'm out of here and he leaves the Air Force. I'm over simplifying. But they didn't let him fly. He had dreams and they squashed his dream So he's like, I'm out of here, Chair Force. And then he goes and he decided he's gonna get a helicopter's license. If he can't planes will fly helicopter. So he goes. He goes to a helicopter flight school and this guy, he has this instructor. He loves a guy super brilliant, just like my friend Ted. The guy taught him everything you know. Ted flys solo helicopter flights and then he graduates. He's now an official helicopter pilot. I'm asking him, what are you gonna do? One week later, his flight instructor dies in a helicopter crash. Oh no, right, because I told you, helicopter's Elizabeth, the Devil's creation. I don't trust him. But anyways, Ted's wife is like me. She's like, look, I know we spend all this money to pay for the helicopter flight school, but honey, I love you. We have small kids. You're grounded, and like, that's the most brilliant thing she ever said other than like I do.
Speaker 3: It's like, okay, now once she got kids, I mean.
Speaker 4: And also, helicopter's Elizabeth, and helicopter.
Speaker 3: Says the guy who threw himself off a moving cars.
Speaker 4: That's my point. If I'm not willing to get into a helicopter, you gotta think what's.
Speaker 3: I would not ride in a helicopter.
Speaker 4: But anyway, back to our jackass of the day who didn't have a helicopter but had a plane, Trevor Jacob. He intentionally crashed his plane because he has my spirit. We discussed and I have his right. So now how all the real and fake aviators get mad at people like us because we do dumb things like this is why I don't post these videos?
Speaker 3: What is this us?
Speaker 4: Well, because I wouldn't post these videos. I'm like trying to fly.
Speaker 3: Get mad at me. They get mad at people like you, me and Trevor.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, that's the.
Speaker 3: You and I.
Speaker 4: No, no, no, no, no, no one gets mad at you. Come on, a lot of people get well, Elizabeth. As I told you, it was many, many VIDs all these people were posting, right, But it wasn't just them. I also told you that, like there were legal aviator like people who were like flight destructors, and then the aviation lawyers who got upset. So all these people they get mad at Trevor's flagrant play for Liken subscribes, right, and this this flight destructor, Robert Perry. He gets interviewed by the New York Times. Right, this guy he's eminently familiar with flying over these very same skies, this Los Padres National Forest. Right, so they get like an expert and this guy, he's like, uh, I looked at the videos and I thought this is sort of stupid. Why did he do that? There were so many things that made me know this was sort of a put on it.
Speaker 3: He crashed. Let's just walk this back for a second.
Speaker 5: When he crashed and he went through the desert on a name, and he wound up at the farm. What was it like, an alfalfa farmer. Did he videotape the encounter?
Speaker 4: Yeah, he edited stuff he didn't know. He talks about the farmer saving him and stuff. But also, as I told you, it was hard to find the video. So I was going off clips.
Speaker 5: If you're just this, like you know farm guy and this. You know, I was about to call him something terrible. But this guy comes walking out of nowhere with a natural and has a has a camera out filming.
Speaker 3: I just like Roundhouse kicked the camera, punched him in.
Speaker 5: The neck on your motorcycle gang, I'm like, I took down this apostrophe tuber and I just put his scalp on.
Speaker 4: The dated for the club. I understand. I respect you.
Speaker 3: On that something. He was just making me very violent.
Speaker 4: Well, the flight destructor Perry, he shared your anger, and he told The New York Times, you don't fly a little airplane with a parachute if it is your point this guy. You guys have a lot of commonalities I'm noticing. So I told you it was nineteen forty. It was a nineteen forty tailor craft plane.
Speaker 3: Okay, And I.
Speaker 4: Went because I don't know if you'd know what that looks like. I found a picture that's the plane. Okay, yeah, right, so it's like a little tiny.
Speaker 3: Plane, very Tommy fits.
Speaker 4: Yes, it's almost exactly the plane Tommy Fits would have flown.
Speaker 3: Who was your galpalv fly bar.
Speaker 4: Yes, it's very much the plane Tommy Fits would have been like using and landing on like the streets of New York. This is the type of plane you could do. So people are like, why couldn't you Tommy Fits it? Man, what's up?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 4: And he's like, I'm not the guy and the guy I'm half the man Tommy fits this. He didn't know who he is, right. But the point is I show you this plane is that plane is so small. There's so little room in the cabin. The pilot can barely turn around, like in their seats. Right, it's like flying a desk chair. It's tiny. Right, So Triver sat in that cabin he had a parachute on. They would have to remove seat cushion, possibly remove the seat, as I said, probably he've been sitting on a milk crane. So this this guy, they focus on these details.
Speaker 3: He said the parachute goes under him too.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it goes under your butt.
Speaker 3: I didn't know that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it goes. It hangs down.
Speaker 3: Beneath like a JanSport backpack.
Speaker 4: Yeah nope. I had friends who used to pack parachutes, and I go out there and help them, and I was like, I don't think I should be doing this, Like I don't.
Speaker 3: Hell no, I don't want to be responsible.
Speaker 4: I won't tell anyone. I'm like, you need to have a better attitude about your job. So this is flan instructure, parents points out to the New York Times. Right, small planes like this tailor craft. They could be landed safely by anybody. That's the whole joy of them. Right. So he's like, why don't you just glide fifteen miles and just set it down in a field? Like I think this is nonsense.
Speaker 3: He could meet the farmer that way.
Speaker 4: Exactly, see the alfalfa field land there pal Anyway, the New York Times they had more questions than this guy could answer. So the Gray lady to find an aviation lawyer. They're like, what's up with this dude? Is he Logan Paul the Air? And they're like, yeah, man, he is. Because the guy's like the whole, this whole conceit is the engine suddenly stopped right, and the aviation lawyers like, I know exactly why at Airplanes's engine would suddenly quit like that. It's a really simple and obvious answer. And the New York Times like, what is it? And he's like, the pilot shut off the engine.
Speaker 3: He just turned.
Speaker 4: He's like, well, the question is why didn't he try to restart it? I mean, at least no shown on camera. Is this guy an idiot? Or did you just skip past the whole like I should restarting when he went right to I should jump out of the plane. Yeah, which is, you know, my goal. But anyway, the guy like I was like, yo, take the keys out, blow on him, try putting them back in, like it's a Nintendo cartridge. I don't know. So the dude, as I said, he gets to my version of it, I need to step out into the sky, and he does that, and then, as you know, all the stupid stuff occurs, and then he posts it on YouTube and then everyone gets mad. So then he gets so much attention that eventually the FAA comes along, right, and this guy is like, oh, he starts realizing oh, this will be bad. So he decided, I'm gonna, like, you know, after turning off the YouTube comments, I'm gonna get ahead of this. I'm going to post a comment. I'm going to post a response video. Oh okay, Now keep in mind, Elizabeth, I said this cat was a skydive or a pilot, a snowboarder. I forgot to mention he was also a former Olympian in what he placed ninth in men's snowboard cross at the twenty fourteen Winter Olympics Snowboard Cross and as I checked out his team USA Olympian biography and it states and I quote, Trevor Jacob is also an accomplished skateboarder, surfer, motocross rider, BMX biker, snowmobiler and professional mad men with MTV's Nitro Circus. Now, I bring this up because you would think this dude would have a better media sense than he did once the cameras went and found it, because he's a former Olympian, former MTV madman on Nitro Circus, and I thought, like, you know, he should be able to handle his new brush with fans. He did not. He decided to shoot himself right in the dickies. So after the uproar of his fake plane crasher video, he refused to die down. Jacob's like, Okay, I'm gonna get ahead of it. He goes out there and he really, this is a statement. I'll happily say, I did not purposely crash my plane for views on YouTube. Given my background, I can see why people would think that I've been filming everything I do since I was five years old. Documenting this trip was no different than any other day from me. So that's was five. Yeah, that's his defense, right. So to further convince any doubters, skeptics, haters, or those idiots are just jealous, Trevor Jacobs says, quote people can believe whatever they choose. They have the freedom to just do that. So yeah, you know, whenever you're in doubt, Elizabeth, I find his best to try to draw on the energies of that really smug eight year old on the playground. It tells you gets a free country. That's the energy that wins its where, especially if you're an adult, carries you through the moment. So I'm over here meanwhile, watching this stuff and reading the stuff. I'm like, hey, Trevor, I think the FAA and the National Transportation Safety Board. I have a couple of questions for you trash the plane in a national forest?
Speaker 3: Who stays a national forest? And so like the bill too for cleanup and recovery?
Speaker 4: You, oh, yes, you see where it's going. So the FAA, the Federal Aviation Administration, and the NTS by step in. They launch investigations. That's what they do, right, So he'd kind of done the right thing. He'd contact their protocols you have to follow when you crash a plane, right, so he'd kind of followed them. He contact the NTSB and he's like, hey, man, I crashed. Few days later, it's cool, I'm alive. They're like that's not the point, like where did you crash? Getting you on? Yeah, So a few weeks past he gets contacted by California authorities and they asked for assistance, like where's the plane? Man, we got to go out and like clear it out of the woods. And he's like, okay, I'd be totally glad to help you. Guys. They're like, okay, where is He's like, I totally wish I could remember, guys. I just need to give me a little time to think. They're like, what are you talking about? I just can't quite remember.
Speaker 3: Man give for Google GPS.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Well, it turns out he was what we in the storytelling industry call lying. Yes, but the question is why. I'll tell you why. Elizabeth a helicopter the devil's instrument. He had a helicopter. He yes, Trevor had a pilot friend who was dumb as him, and so apparently this guy had a helicopter and he had his buddy fly out with his helicopter to where he'd intentionally crashed his plane. He needs to then, you know, descend down a line or hop off this kids, I don't know what he did. He has to go and hide the evidence of his crime. So in this case that means the whole damn plane. So he it's all evidence. So he goes and takes the whole plane December tenth before he posts the video on YouTube. This was smart the only thing they post. On December tenth. He goes out there and he and his pilot friend they fly to the crash site. They secure the wreckage from his plane to the helicopter. Then they lift the plane out of the national forest. They fly the plane to Rancho Ciscolock in Santa Barbara County is wait, that's what that's a little bit of a flight. Yeah, and then they load I can't believe there's not bad footage of this. They load the plane onto a trailer and then Drefor drove his wreck plane back to the Lompoc Airport hangar where he first flound And that's.
Speaker 3: Why he didn't they just fly it to the Lompoker.
Speaker 4: I don't, dude, there's so many of why didn't base so confused? Why do they fly it so far? And then they just to then put it on a trailer and drive it on a truck back to Lompo. So then once he gets back to the hangar, what does he do now? Elizabeth was like, we got to get rid of the evidence. This is like, you know, if there's no body, there's no murder. If there's no plane, there's no plane crash. So he decides to cut up the plane and dissect it down to its constituent parts. Right, So what does he do now with all this this pile of evidence he has, Well, he does he does what you know, pretty much I would call the most stupid thing he could do. I don't even I'm not mad at him, but like, I'm just like, are you kidding me? He dumps it at the first place that had a trash can, which happens to be the airport.
Speaker 3: He put it in the airport trash.
Speaker 4: He was criminally lazy, Elizabeth.
Speaker 3: I was hoping he would even like to recycling first.
Speaker 4: Trash can he came across, he just dumped the evidence in the trash at the Lompoc Airport, Like why drag it that?
Speaker 5: This is like me when I last time I moved and I had all this like stuff to throw away.
Speaker 4: M hm.
Speaker 5: I was just driving around Oakland looking for unlocked dumpsters and I have mentally a map of all the unlocked up.
Speaker 3: Figured it out.
Speaker 4: He didn't do that trip. He's no leg Yeah, even New York Wigi War criminally astute on this book right exactly. So I mean this is his It's not his biggest mistake. I think his biggest mistake was intentionally crashing a plane into a national forest, filming it all, posting the evidence of his crime on YouTube. I think that was his biggest mistake. That this was second biggest.
Speaker 3: His mistakes probably started years ago.
Speaker 4: So the FAA is investigation it was fast moving, and they they you know, the criminal investigation that was started by the US Attorney's Office for the Central District of California was also fast moving, and the latter came to the conclusion that criminal charges were recommended since the YouTuber quote did not intend to reach his destination. So no, look, it may be a free country, but you're not free to just skylitter and crash a plane anywhere you would like for some kind of nouveau. Howard hughes energy, by the way, friend of the show, So Elizabeth, uh, this guy, right, he's a he pulled his diet coke version of faking your death, and he fakes his plane crash, intentionally crashes his plane into you know, the land has a wildfire problem. The government comes after him because of course they do. Can't have idiots like that in the air, right. So April of last year, FAA bans him from operating a single engine plane. The fa decided Trevor Jacob wasn't allowed back into the sky without a seat and a ticket and a flight attendant. So the FAA wrote to Jacob, quote, you demonstrated a lack of care, judgment, and responsibility by choosing to jump out of an aircraft solely so you could record the footage of the crash. Your egregious and intentional actions on these dates indicate that you presently lacked the degree of care, judgment, and responsibility required of a certificate holder. You are grounded, young man. Yes, next came the US attorney way worse. In May of this year, the Department of Justice had their response. According to the DOJ Trevor Jacobs quote, a utuber pilot has agreed to plead guilty to a felony charge for obstructing a federal investigation by deliberately destroying the wreckage of an airplane that he intentionally crashed in Santa Barbara County to gain online views, the Justice Department announced today. So why does YouTuber in front of something make it sound so much worse? It looks like diminish his eggs, YouTuber pilot.
Speaker 5: There's so many headlines today that if we went back ten, but especially like twenty years and showed people they think, what in the.
Speaker 4: World, Yeah, we gave up on English.
Speaker 3: This is not none of them. I don't know any of these words.
Speaker 4: Yes, these are not words.
Speaker 3: Yeah, YouTuber, I.
Speaker 4: Recognized the article a and the article the so this YouTuber repiled with Jacobs, his federal founty charge is considered a serious one. The punishment is quote a statutory maximum sentence of twenty years in federal prison. Oh dang, yeah, no, it's likely he'll be getting less than that.
Speaker 5: But damn fam I mean federal facility, yes, facility in half the way states No.
Speaker 4: No, but I don't know how they will pick that up. That's the maximums. I don't think he'll get the max for this, right, he didn't start a fire. If he would have started a fire, like Billy Joel would say.
Speaker 3: Boom man, the civil suits, right.
Speaker 4: I hope he enjoyed starting a flight simulator club at the federal penitentiary. That'll be fun. You know, hey, guys, do we have computer lab time? So one question, why did he do this? Elizabeth clout for the like and subscribes, right, But he also did it for the cloud, as you just said. And he also did it for the cash, as I said earlier. But who would pay this idiot to crash his plan into a national forest in California? What investor could be that dumb, that cavalier that.
Speaker 3: It's an investor?
Speaker 4: Yeah, someone paid him.
Speaker 3: Oh so it wasn't like I thought he was just like ad revenue.
Speaker 4: Oh no, No. From the Department of Justice press release, we learned the quote. According to his plea agreement, Jacob is an experienced pilot in Skydiver who has secured a sponsorship from a company that sold various products, including a wallet. Pursuing to the sponsorship deal, Jacob agreed to promote the company's wallet and a YouTube video that he would post now the company's wallet. The company is not named in the press release, but Shame Dollars to Donuts that the company's wallet is a reference to a crypto wallet, and I'd be willing to bet you it's not a leather goods company, Like I don't think that it was.
Speaker 3: Wis like a leather goods And he'd be like, my wallet survived.
Speaker 4: The No, I'm pretty sure it was a crypto energy because who's gonna fallo? Who's going to watch these guy's videos? A crypto bro crowd is definitely going to be following this logo.
Speaker 3: That makes way more sense. I was thinking a literal wallet. I was like, is it made out of like firehose material?
Speaker 4: And that it would tough youll skin. So the thirteen minute long video that's no longer available on YouTube. As I pointed out, tryvor Jacob, he included plenty of promotion for the company and it's wallet. We can have answers, but as I do not have them for you, I can only tell you the DJ noted Jacob admitted in his plea agreement that he intended to make money through the video. So way to go.
Speaker 5: Okay, So now I have a new investigation to begin. I am desperate to find.
Speaker 4: Out who was the Crypto Bros.
Speaker 3: Who's the sponsor?
Speaker 5: Yes, because I still think maybe it's the Louth Trading Company to say.
Speaker 4: Can you imagine do you have any do years in federal prison for trying to sell crypto to people? Literal wallet, Yeah, literal wallab even better?
Speaker 3: Yeah crypto.
Speaker 4: So what's our ridiculous takeaway here? Listen?
Speaker 3: Oh my goodness, just don't get a plane.
Speaker 5: I mean, I like playing commercial bit don't don't fly a plane, don't fly, don't fly a plane.
Speaker 3: Leave it to the professionals.
Speaker 4: Well, my ridiculous takeaway once again, thank you for asking, Elizabeth, is that you are going to dance with gravity. Not you, but anybody if anyone's gonna dance with gravity, don't do it where someone else can get hurt. Take it from me a semi professional. That's just not fair. If you're gonna do your dance to it, only you get hurt. But if you're going to commit a crime, and that crime could put you in federal prison for a decade or more, please don't film it and then post it on YouTube. Just across the board.
Speaker 5: I mean, that's like, don't do so, like you said, don't. He could have hurt someone the damage that he caused to nature.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well, the possibility of fire is a real issue for us.
Speaker 3: Yeah, California, and.
Speaker 4: Then you burn down houses and rich people get mad and then we see it on the news. It's terrible now, but it's really bad the wildfire season. Honesty is very bad. But this is up there for me, by the way, this basic advice of don't film your crimes and post it on YouTube. This is kind of like the don doesn't wear shorts. It's just a rule. You don't even got to You can't disagree with this one to just boom there it is. That's a crime rule. Thank you, John, Well, that's it. Thanks for listening. Y'all. That's all I got for it.
Speaker 3: Thank you. There's plenty there you go.
Speaker 4: You can find us online Ridiculous Crime on Twitter and Instagram. We have a website now, ridiculous crime dot com. If you email us a Ridiculous Crime at gmail dot we will likely read it. We may respond who knows. It's like a door you know you can knock, we may open who knows. But anyway, we do like to hear from you. So thanks for responding, thanks for connecting, and thanks for sending emails. Yes, also, we'll catch you next time in Next Crime movements. Ridiculous Crime is hosted by Elizabethett nan Zaren Burnett, produced and edited by the former host of MTV's Ridiculousness Dave Houston. Researches by Risa Watch Out Below Brown and Andrea Here Comes Mama Song Sharpened Tear. Our theme song is by the writers in the Sky Captain Thomas Lee and Space Commander Travis Duck. Executive producers are Ben the Flying Squirrel, Boldin and No launch Pad but Quack Brown QUI Say It One More Time, Gus Cry.
Speaker 1: Ridiculous Crime is a production of iHeartRadio four more podcasts My Heart radio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.