Speaker 1: Hey, guys, welcome to another episode of Eating While Broke. I'm your host, Colleen Witt, and today we have a very special guest, and Naya love Note is in the building.
Speaker 2: You guys may know her from her.
Speaker 1: Music because she is a recording artist hailing all the way from Texas. Yes, which is different because when you think Texas, you think Beyonce.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, but she ain't the only one coming out of Texas, not at all, not at all.
Speaker 1: But before we get into all the behind the scenes of what made a Naya love Note, let's talk about what you're gonna have me eating today.
Speaker 3: Oh honey, Okay, So I call it Mama's cooking. Okay, because that's that's what I got it from my mama, and you're not taking credit. So we gonna make Mama's nachos today. We got the preference meat that you chose, brown turkey. I love it. I've been working really hard to be more healthy anyways, Okay, I love that you really chose that.
Speaker 2: Really? Yes, I'm allergic to red meat really yeah? What yeah?
Speaker 3: So I guess you've never had anything with red meat.
Speaker 2: No, I did.
Speaker 1: I abused it for years and then I finally said, I got to listen to the doctors. So I went like ten years allergically eating red meat and getting sick, and then I finally said, co grow up.
Speaker 3: See, well give it up because red meat is already unhealthy as it is, and you're allergic to it, so that's like ten.
Speaker 1: It's actually harder for the body to digest. Seriously, yes, so because you're allergic, Well it could be that or but it's funny because I was I switched to pork and chicken.
Speaker 2: I was like pork's white meat.
Speaker 1: But recently I realized I'm now allergic to pork, so I'm heartbroken.
Speaker 2: So there's no more ribs my future.
Speaker 1: And you know, the older, you know more, you respect like your body, your body's needs and commands.
Speaker 2: So now no, no more red meat.
Speaker 3: It definitely does start speaking up as you get older. And we got the meat right here, we got the about Vita cheese block. This is my favorite mild. I chose mild because it definitely gaves like a little spice to it instead of it just being like a regular flavor.
Speaker 2: That's like a chili sauce.
Speaker 4: Ok.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And then of course the Texas chips, and then we'll get to the seasons when we.
Speaker 2: And then I see almond milk too.
Speaker 3: Yes, I drink nothing about almond milk one because I am lactose intolerant.
Speaker 2: Okay, so wait, is velvet the cheese not?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm like you, I just.
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, okay, you ain't supposed to okay, okay, whoever's riding back in the clover.
Speaker 3: Yeah, look I did good by doing the almond meal.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, but you know what this Can it be real cheese because it was sitting on a shelf.
Speaker 3: Yeah that's what I thought, because you know, real cheese with rest has to be refrigerating it is.
Speaker 1: So this can't be you know, I might, I might get on the hook with Okay, okay, okay, I will say. The price egg on this dish came out to like thirty bucks or twenty bucks or something like that, which would be considered pricier, but technically it's not because of the serving size.
Speaker 2: So well budgeted. Kudos to your mama.
Speaker 1: So before you, well, I guess while you're getting cooking, I want to know what was going on during the time of the mama's nachos.
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh, So you know, should I start cooking.
Speaker 2: Now, yeah, you can start getting a kitchen.
Speaker 3: So honestly, my foster mom, she's actually my foster mother. And when I was in middle school, because she got me when I was fourteen years old. By the time I got to her home, I just could eat through anything. I just would eat, eat, eat, eat, eat your seat tiny big, that's what she would say. And I'd be like, mom, like, I'm not gaining any weight. And she started making these nachos and I just would It's so crazy. They would call me like the human disposal in the house. So I would eat like my nachos. If my sister didn't finish her nachos, I eat her nachos. I'd eat the pot nachos. And I just love these nachos so much, to the point where by time I had to have like a actual cooking schedule in the house because everybody had to learn how to cook. I had this downpack. My mom won't even let me cook it no more. Oh wow, I would just eat it all the time.
Speaker 1: What's interesting, a lot of our listeners don't know this. Not trying to chime into your story, but trying to chime in your mom. I think was the first person to hit me on the DM.
Speaker 3: So that was actually my biological So my foster mother is the one who lives in Texas, and then my biological mother she lives in Saint Louis. So my biological mother she helps me out with my career sometimes because she is also a female artist herself. Okay, kind of where I got her from.
Speaker 1: Wow, so you do have a good relationship with your biological.
Speaker 3: I have a good relationship with both of them.
Speaker 2: And there's no beef between the two moms.
Speaker 3: At first, when I was younger, it kind of was because my mom. When I first found my mom, I found my mom on my Space. That's actually how I found my mother. You're biological m I found my mama my Space. And I remember, like in high school, I was a freshman and I got on my Space and I just DMed all of her friends because she took too long to see my message. So I went on there and I was like, Hey, I'm her daughter. I've been looking for her, can you please call me.
Speaker 2: You know that she was your mom because I've.
Speaker 3: Had her when I was I mean i've had her. She had me before I got taken, So I knew my family before I was placed in care, so I found her on my Space. And when I did find my mom and I finally got in contact with her, technically it was illegal because the state didn't know about it and I was still in care of this at the time, so I had to have a judge actually okay to me to talk to my mother at the time. And when she finally found out, she didn't really like my foster mother that much.
Speaker 1: Were you reaching out to your mom because you missed her, or were you reaching out to were you beefing with the foster mom.
Speaker 3: I reached out to her because I missed her. I always wanted to know my family. I actually got taken at five years old, so I didn't have my mom, my dad, no cousin's, no aunties, just like foster home shelters, group homes, foster home shelters, group homes all the way till I was like eighteen.
Speaker 2: Do you know why you were taken?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 1: I do. Are you are you able to say without making family members?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 3: Yeah, So when I was younger, I don't know. I don't drink alcohol for a reason. I come from a background of alcoholics in a way. My grandmother, she was an alcoholic, and my great grandmother was an alcoholic, and so I would see what that would do to people when they would drink alcohol. And for me, as a young kid, I would get whoopings a lot. And I went to school one day and I the teacher saw a bruise on my back and she asked me. She was like, are you getting whoopings? Are you getting beatens at home? And she put it in the same sentence. And at the time, I had to be like four going on five at this time. I was like, yes, but you know, please don't pull anyone. But when I hear the word whoopins as a kid and then you put beaten with it, it just sounds the same in a way. So that same day, CPS actually came to my house and took us away. Wow.
Speaker 2: So they took all of you guys.
Speaker 3: You have siblings, wow, all of us, Me and my two sisters. Wow. And it kind of was like, like my grandmother kind of blamed me, but I was being placed in cares. But I've definitely coming so young. Yeah, I've definitely come to a conclusion now that I'm older, like that, you know, it was it wasn't me, But back then it was just like, dang, Like what did I do?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: I I grew up in upstate New York, and I grew up in child of definitely child abuse for sure, beatings, whoopings, and all of the above. But that the teachers and everybody they would call CPS and CPS started getting a bad rep of me and my siblings because it was like y'all ain't saving us at all, And it's it's crazy to hear that in your story.
Speaker 2: They like snatched you all up so fast.
Speaker 3: They take kids very quickly, like they instantly go when it's teenagers. They don't come to a quick hurry. So like I was four going on five, my little sister Brianna, she was like two going on three, and my oldest sister, Latrice, she was about six years old, and so all of us was just wase and we all been away from our family since then. So when I did find my mom, it was just felt it just felt like I found a part of me that I had not had for my whole life.
Speaker 1: Wow, so you were gone for what over almost ten years away from her before you found her.
Speaker 2: That's amazing.
Speaker 3: And then I found my little brother on Facebook. I found my little sister on Facebook. I've always had my oldest sister and then the other two. I actually got to get in contact them once I talked to my mom.
Speaker 2: Wow, what was your mom's initial reaction when she heard from you?
Speaker 3: She was so excited She's actually cried. She's like, I've been looking for you my whole life. Like, I'm so excited. How old you? How old are you now? Like just like typical questions that a mom would ask. I think when I was younger, I was more closer to my mom, and then my sister she was closer to my grandparents. So when I found my mom, it was more like I was excited because I found my mom. My older sister she wasn't really like around for it, so.
Speaker 1: Was she does do all your siblings have a good relationship with your mom now?
Speaker 3: It's do you know?
Speaker 4: We all are still too. We all have a great relationship with my our mom now.
Speaker 3: But because now that we're adults, we're going into that phase where it's like we're adults now getting advice and stuff. Sometimes is like, no, not thinking because I kind of know myself now at this point. But for me, again, I've always been closest to my mom. So I'm still like Mama's baby still to this day. But I think that's just because I share more in common with my mom than the rest of my siblings.
Speaker 2: In the music. Now does your mom rap?
Speaker 3: Yes, she's a female rapper. She says, she be singing, but Mama, you can't sing. Oh, she like Drake.
Speaker 2: It's like I can't stand when Drake sings.
Speaker 1: I love Drake's rap book, Please God, Please, I ain't singing Drake.
Speaker 3: Sometimes, Drake, sometimes you hit it with the note, and then sometimes I'm like, you could have just wrapped that dude anytime.
Speaker 1: You know, when he does his records like split, I don't even I won't even entertain the singing version.
Speaker 3: I actually used to love his when he redid Jojo Marvin's Room and he was trying to sing that one. It actually came out really great compared to what I thought it would at his singing days. When he left the Grassy.
Speaker 2: Okay, I never watched him on the Grassy me.
Speaker 3: Either, Sorry, Drake, I didn't know you to have to digress. I actually got to meet Drake, so too Short introduced me to Drake, and we were at Poppies and Drake goes, this is my idol right here. If he say clear everybody out, everybody got to get out. I don't care. I'm clearing out this whole club. Whatever this man say is whatever goes too short, too short. It's his idol, the man he looks up to his whole life. That's what Drake says. Yes, and the way.
Speaker 5: That I do.
Speaker 1: Yes, I'm not knocking on too short, but Drake really, But.
Speaker 3: You know, the way that I met him, for me to be an artist was amazing because I could have met him any other way, but to be introduced to him by his idol as an artist, it was like, Wow, that's a lot of respect. Instead of meeting him like in the club. Hey, yeah, so I thought I was like pretty dope.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that sounds pretty dope, y'all. I love Drake.
Speaker 3: The only way I'm gonna see him again is if I go to one of his concerts. While the brawls can toss thumbs hilarious, you know, I'm gonna have to catch one of them because I heard he give me out burning bags.
Speaker 2: Too, really at his show.
Speaker 3: He just posted it. He gave me out pink burning bags at his show. Drake, I look save one of them burning bags, just put it on the shelf, don't worry about it.
Speaker 1: So from the okay, so you start making this dish with your foster my foster mom.
Speaker 2: Your foster mom, okay.
Speaker 1: And she had other foster children, but she just she didn't house any of your siblings.
Speaker 3: She ended up taking my oldest sister in My older sister ended up being in foster care with one of her family members at the time, and I was like, mom, please, like please, please, please take my sister. I don't want to be by myself. Yeah, And I was fourteen by the time she got us. And then my sister was like seventeen years old, and foster homes don't take teenagers, and it wasn't a lot of foster homes that my sister could go to the more she got older, So she ended up taking my older sister and so she could be with me. And then when I found my little sister, she ended up allowing my little sister to come and stay as well. So I actually got to have my siblings after high school.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: And it's interesting because you call her mom. Yes, was that a hard hurdle for you because you said you didn't get to her till what fourteen?
Speaker 3: Right? Yeah? So when I got there, I used to we would call her by her name, which would be Mama Ray, and then eventually it just became mom. I was with her all the way, so I was grown and still to this day like that's Mom. I would call her and my I need advice with this, or Mom, I need help with this, and that's that's my go to. It's my mom.
Speaker 2: Wow, Okay, Okay, that's that's that's cool. That's cool.
Speaker 3: But I do the same thing to my biological mom too.
Speaker 2: So do you let them know that you get a pai from each other?
Speaker 3: Yeah, Like, yeah, they know each other. They're like now they're cool with each other, you know. They my mom will ask about Mama Ray a lot, and Mama Ray will ask about my mom. So it's more like our girls.
Speaker 2: Okay, Okay, like that now. I like that. And then as far as.
Speaker 1: The addiction on this in your family, has it like subsided or yeah?
Speaker 3: Honestly, I just found my biological family. I got to meet my aunts, my cousins, and they gave me so much insight on my background and where I come from and a lot of things that our family struggled, which was like alcohol abuse at the time. So a lot of my family member isn't alive, to be honest with you, But me, I've never had to drop an alcoholic day in my life.
Speaker 2: Good and you're gonna keep it that way?
Speaker 3: Yes, I am.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I just got my husband is a alcohol alcoholic and recovery or what have you. And I'm just now like it took me, Like it's so hard for me to understand the concept of it because for me, it's not the most logical concept. I'm like, wait, you're gonna just drink all day? Yeah, you're you know, like logically it doesn't make sense. But now I'm starting to understand like addiction is because it feels real to them. It's like I love this or I like this and I know I get sick without it or what have you.
Speaker 3: It's a dangerous situation because if they can't identify that they have an issue, it definitely can turn into a generational situation. And I think I was the one who identified the issue in my family. We decided to change the generational.
Speaker 2: So they weren't like living in denial.
Speaker 3: So like my sister, my older sister, she doesn't drink. I don't drink. My little sister she doesn't drink. A mom, she doesn't drink. Wow, we all decided we was just not gonna.
Speaker 2: Oh, your mom didn't drink. She never drank.
Speaker 3: She did when she was like younger, but she doesn't drink at all like now, so.
Speaker 2: Awesome, awesome, I like that. I like that.
Speaker 1: So let's get past this little bump and get onto the next chapter. What was the next milestone from Nachos heading towards your career?
Speaker 3: Honestly, I just always knew I was gonna be something or someone, and I would tell my foster mom all the time, I just need to leave home, like I just would like to leave home. I know if I leave then I'm gonna make it. And at the time, I could not keep a job. Every job that I had I just kept losing, Like I just could not hold down a nine to five job at all. School. I wasn't doing that great in school either, and I just felt like this is not for me, Like I have to leave Austin. There's nothing any here for me. And after I lost my job at foot like at City Trends, my mom picked me up and I had got the opportunity to actually go to Atlanta, and I told her. I said, I looked her in the car. We were sitting in the car and I looked her in the face and I said, Mom, I'm leaving, And she said, where are you going? I said, to Atlanta? And I said, I just need you to trust that this decision is going to be great. And when I just know, like, if I leave, Mama, I'm gonna make it. And she's like, I just want you to be happy and stabled, and whatever you choose to do, you know I'm going to support you. And I never looked back since I haven't been back home in ten years.
Speaker 2: And what age were you?
Speaker 3: I left when I was twenty one.
Speaker 2: Twenty one, and but knowing you were twenty one, you knew exactly you were going to go into music.
Speaker 3: But my mom, my biologic mom was big on me finishing school, so I wanted to get an education before I decided that this is going to be whatever I do. And it worked out for me.
Speaker 2: So you went to college or.
Speaker 3: So I started off in college and after I did my first year, I got the opportunity to up and move to Atlanta. Okay, okay, wait, so this is this.
Speaker 2: Is my mess up? Guys, here we go, Here we go, Here we go.
Speaker 3: I'm like, is this on your powdery?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 2: No, that's all purpose seasoning. I think this is all purpose. Look I just shopping for the show, but I was. I don't I love how you called it out, Like what is this? Wait a minute before my.
Speaker 3: Disch start tasting a little funny?
Speaker 2: Okay, okay, sorry, my bad.
Speaker 3: We're gonna we're gonna hilarious this right here. Yeah, we're gonna.
Speaker 1: We're gonna have to MANI The situation at Walmart was like, look, this is technically all purpose.
Speaker 3: I said. All purpose comes in like the little red bottle.
Speaker 2: I know, but they didn't have any more of that bottle. So she was like, this will do. And I said okay.
Speaker 1: And then here you are Anaya calling me out like what is this?
Speaker 3: What is this? Those she I you know? I should have to try it?
Speaker 2: Just try it, try it.
Speaker 3: Try My mom edited the secret ingredients.
Speaker 2: Okay, we'll put all purpose in the cookbook with.
Speaker 3: The red lid, with the red lid. Gotta get that.
Speaker 1: Okay, So you put onion, powdered garlic powder, all purpose seasoning.
Speaker 2: Tony's creole and.
Speaker 3: And then I just mix it.
Speaker 2: And then you are mixing it.
Speaker 3: Okay, okay, So my mom she always say the best way to get all the seasonal off the plate is to use your hands and the meat. So as you can see, there is no seasoning on this plate, which.
Speaker 2: Is there is what I'm not going for. But now I I already know we're gonna end up going to commercial because you're gonna have to wash your hands after this exactly.
Speaker 3: But your hands clean by the way I washed them before.
Speaker 2: So I'm sorry we got so off track. Where did we leave from? Where did we leave?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 5: You? Oh?
Speaker 1: I wanted to know when you said you had an opportunity in Atlanta? What opportunity were you referring to.
Speaker 3: So I met this artist and he needed a PR at the time. Now, funny thing is, I didn't know anything about PR. I just knew it was the opportunity for me to leave home.
Speaker 2: How did he find you?
Speaker 3: So we have south By Southwest in Austin, and then he came down as an artist to perform for south By And when we met, I was telling him like, oh, yeah, I do this, I do that. He's like, well, you know, I'm looking for a PR. I figure, I was just going to.
Speaker 2: Everything, get a limits here, here we go.
Speaker 3: He was like, you know I need a PR, so you know you should come work for me. You can stay with me, blah blah blah. Let me just say this, that was the worst decision I ever met. I a day in my life due to the circumstances of it. But I still don't change the fact that I used that as a way to get where I was going.
Speaker 2: So why did he assume that you did PR?
Speaker 3: Because I was working at the time for south By Southwest, so I had like the little like badgets and stuff on there. And I was working in the studio for other artists at the time as well. So he was like, oh, just be my PR. And I was like, oh, okay.
Speaker 5: It.
Speaker 2: And so did he like give you money up front or actually no?
Speaker 3: So I ended up moving to Atlanta only for him to try to prostitute me. Yeah, so I moved to Atlanta. He ended up taking a deal in Miami and moving to Miami, but he tricked me and had his friend there, which was like his brother, and he was like, well, you guys are going to take over my apartment. And I was like what like, what do you mean I'm going to take over your apartment? You just told me you what's going on? And so he's like, well, you guys are gonna split. It happened half. You need to get a job, you know. He was like, you need to go apply at the strip clubs and all this other stuff. And he had this one girl strip club. Yeah, he wanted me to work at the strip club. He had this one shorty that lived with him named Barbie and she was already a stripper at the time. So I was like, oh, no, she lived there.
Speaker 2: That was and there's a brother, oh and that was her dude. Yeah, and then but I.
Speaker 3: Didn't know, so he was like a d I found out that he was pimping. And when I got there before that, I didn't know.
Speaker 5: Did you mama?
Speaker 3: So I did. I let my mom know, but I didn't let her know, yeah, because I did not want her freaking out and there exactly and she's gonna be like, well, I don't think you know. I didn't want none of that. So what I ended up doing is I end up getting a job at what Willie's, which was a it was a waitressing restaurant whatever, and he put me on this site called Backpage.
Speaker 2: And I I think I know what that is. It's know what it is. It's like.
Speaker 3: I didn't even know what that was at the time. My phone is ringing of me on there, and my phone is going off and all these men are like, hey, how much do you offer? I saw your ad and I'm like, what ad are you talking about? Like, I don't even know what you're talking about. I'm in the uber on my way to work and the uber driver tells me you're on back Page and I'm.
Speaker 2: Like what, How did he?
Speaker 3: Because I'm on the phone, they say it to my friend and I'm like, I don't understand what this is. Like it says something that backpage. And I asked one of the guys who DMed me and was like, oh, where did you find this ad? He was like, You're on Backpage and I was like, what is that? And so he commonly enough before he blocked my number, he kindly enough told me what it was. I looked it up. There was several pictures of me on there, with my address where I was staying, with my phone number on there, where I worked at. Everything on there was like in detail of it was like a real dangerous situation. But when I read it, you could tell that Barbie is the one who wrote it out for him. So I was like, you know what, when I see her, it's on sight because I really tried to be your friend.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you tried to It sounds well, it sounds like she also tried to get you hurt, because I don't I can't imagine it being I don't know backpage list addresses and I don't know how it works.
Speaker 3: But when yeah problem, I as soon as I saw it, I broke down because I was just could I just couldn't stop thinking, I'm new here, I'm freshly new. It's only my first week in Atlanta. What is something happens to me?
Speaker 5: Like?
Speaker 3: There's so many pictures of me on here. He has the address, my phone number. So long story short, things didn't work out for him.
Speaker 2: Did you end up fighting her?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 2: No, she left good, and I'm glad you didn't fight her.
Speaker 3: She left and went to Miami.
Speaker 2: Oh she went to him.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they moved to Miami.
Speaker 2: Crazy girl at the time.
Speaker 3: So still to this day, I sometimes tell myself, girl, you know you looky. I'm a change woman. But the way that God worked in my favor. I ended up meeting this girl named Kashina and she trained me at work, and then I went to Target the same day and I met this guy named Corey. And I'm in Target and I just got this man laughing, cracking up about hot sauce, the fact that Target don't sell Louisian hot sauce. And when he gets home, I guess he told his wife about me. And I get to work cause Sheina's like, you know you should come over one day. I'm like, yeah, sure. When the guy put me out and I had nowhere to go, I called Kashina and she told me to come over. Come to find out the man that I met in Target was her husband.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, you met them both like at different times.
Speaker 3: Yeah, at the times, I just didn't know that they were together. So when I got there, Corey comes in the room and he's like, he's like, Kashina, remember the girl that I told you you just had to meet, Like you just would love her, You just need to meet her, like y'all be such great friends. That's her. And then he's like it's so crazy because Kashina came home and was telling Corey, I just met this girl. She's new at work.
Speaker 2: That's what I'm trying to Sorry me, man, this is bad.
Speaker 3: You ain't really cooking if you don't get me.
Speaker 2: Any lik, It's never badened in the history. Are going see?
Speaker 3: She goes Corey, this is the girl that I was telling you about at work. And I was like, wait, you told him about me, and he told you about me. He was like yes, wow, and I was like wow. And they were very big in church at the time, so they both was like this is God's doing yea yeah, because there's just no way.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Every since then, they allowed me to stay there with them and I had someone to stay. I got a job, got into my own place, and it had not been for them, I probably would have had to go back home.
Speaker 2: Shout outs to them. It's like wow wow.
Speaker 1: So after they took you in and you found your own place, what was the next step to the naya.
Speaker 3: The next step was I had joined a promo team in Atlanta, and that's kind of how I got myself out there, going to all the right parties. I always pulled up by myself, so I guess it kind of made people wonder who I was because the way I would pull up and I'd just be soul to myself always in VIP, I had a strict plan, like I was going to be wherever I needed to be. At the time, I literally mapped down, Okay, I'm gonna join a promo team. Okay, cool, I'm far of promot team.
Speaker 2: When you say promo team, what does that mean?
Speaker 3: So back then, like in twenty fifteen, Atlanta was really big with promo teams. So like one promoter would have like ten people in one group meet and they would all promote one party. And then within that promo group, there'd be like another promoter who had another ten people to his group, and then it'd be like thirty people promoting one party. So now this party is gone viral.
Speaker 2: So I don't know if you heard of Country Wayne. He had he has.
Speaker 1: A book and I read, well, of course, I don't even know why I said that, butok, Country Wayne, Yeah, he has a book, and I read in his book that one of his starts was promoting clubs.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then he would have like.
Speaker 1: A girl squad or something something is that how what you're talking about?
Speaker 3: They would literally have all girls. So each group had their own name, and one promoter would probably have like ten girls to his group, and then and about maybe three other guy other promoters, and then that's one group. Yeah, and then this other group same thing, and then they'll come together and all promote these one big parties. And that's how promoters was making them money. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think the first time I ever heard about it was in the book. I was like, Oh, that's an interesting approach. It's genius.
Speaker 2: Actually have a bunch of beautiful women promote. And if they did that too, they do it. I don't think they do it, No, they.
Speaker 3: Don't, but if they did, I just feel like things probably would be a lot more lit.
Speaker 1: It definitely would, because I remember reading it in the book, like it's pretty and genius to think, you know, you.
Speaker 3: Really can make money off of it if you learn how to do it.
Speaker 2: So you're promoting and you're a promoter, what are you doing music wise?
Speaker 5: I did.
Speaker 3: I was just one of the models for the promote team, but I still was recording music. So I recorded my first EP, mixed Villains with Super J who actually.
Speaker 1: Was the brother of the guy who was trying to pross to me. Oh shoot yeah, because he was the one that was in the house with you.
Speaker 3: Yeah. So he was an artist as well, and he knew how to record produced, right. I didn't know how to do any of those things at the time, so he actually taught me. How did it not been for Super J, I would not have had my first EP?
Speaker 1: Okay, Now, when I was a kid, I loved hip hop, but like I can honestly tell all y'all, everything I recorded was straight trash.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's just I couldn't.
Speaker 1: I don't know, my vocals don't sound good on a beat or something, but it was terrible.
Speaker 3: So it sound like you will give me like a good angie stuff.
Speaker 1: No, no, I'm pray to God that any recording that lines back to me never gets found because all it is is like something you can literally make fun of me for the rest of my life.
Speaker 2: So but no, you can't. Thank God. It was like during the time of CDs. But how did you know?
Speaker 1: You were like, Okay, you definitely had something because, like I said, I was like, girl, you this ain't your career.
Speaker 3: I put out my first project and that was actually my test to see if this was something I needed to do for the rest of my life. Based off of the reactions that I got from that, so I would I made it, then I would perform him and then just people would just cheer. Like every crowd that I performed my EP in front of I always had great feedback. People will come up, Oh my God, like can I can you perform here? Can you perform here? I really like music. At that point, I was like, Wow, this is for me. I did good. But I think I did really great my first go around because I had Super J and he was already like a pro with us, and he was a real singer. So it just made things happen even faster. Okay, so what's the next milestone from there? It was like I really wanted to just like fast forward years in advance because it really wasn't much besides me performing in Atlanta and getting my name out there. I ended up moving to LA and twenty eighteen and I never looked back after that.
Speaker 2: In LA I've been to Atlanta.
Speaker 1: I'm not gonna lie, like, if I had to move to another entertainment market, I would definitely go Atlanta.
Speaker 3: Atlanta.
Speaker 1: But Atlanta to me is like the suburbs. It's kind of like upstate New York. To me, it's very like suburbous to me. I don't know if that's how it is for everybody. Maybe I'm not hitting the right spots in Atlanta, but it definitely feels like suburbs. When now you go to LA, where you're talking to higher price tag, more competitive market. How was that initial adjudgment adjustment to LA for you?
Speaker 3: I felt like when I moved to La, my price and then the value of me just went up alone just by being in LA.
Speaker 2: What made you say I'm moving.
Speaker 3: I've always put a suther person that wants to conquer everything, like I would be set a certain amount of time that I'm going to be here. I always knew Atlanta was not my final destination, so I just gave myself a certain period of time that I was gonna be there.
Speaker 2: And your moms were like just sitting there watching.
Speaker 3: Yeah, everybody just watching. I'm quick to be like, you know what, I feel like I've made my mark in this city. A lot of people know me, like I've met who I need to meet. Let me go to the next city now.
Speaker 1: And nobody from LA was calling, so you you came no contacts?
Speaker 2: Okay, so let's hear about that journey.
Speaker 3: I started actually like a nobody in La. Nobody knew a NIHI love no at all, didn't know her music, nothing about me. So I moved out here with a boyfriend and I was doing him for like six years and then got out here and I was like, I'm just gonna do the same thing I did in Atlanta, Okay. And even though they didn't have a promo team, I made friends with the promoters.
Speaker 1: So that way, I was always everybody okay, okay, I see, I see okay.
Speaker 3: What the people people failed to realize this. It's always the background. People like. If you make friends with the promoters, you're always where you need to be, at the right parties, at the right events.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 1: That's how you network r the promoters in LA though, So I ended up.
Speaker 3: Going to this one club playhouse at the time, and you can always know who the top promoters are because they move a different way than others. So I just identified who was the top promoter, the promoter, and when I got there, I just introduced myself.
Speaker 1: But how did you identify? What's the difference between a top promoter and a regular promoter.
Speaker 3: So a top promoter, they normally stand in the front of the club because they have customers coming in, so they're always right there by the vip entrance and you'll see them like, hey, I got this girl, and they're good. They're good, they're good.
Speaker 2: Oh that guy, that guy, that guy.
Speaker 3: They're good, they're good. There were me, that's top promoter. But if you you're with a promoter and they standing in line with you, or they standing outside still trying to get their people in, and securities like you gotta hold on, you gotta you not that man, You're not the man to talk to because the man that's talk to is the one of like, oh you're good. Securities like okay, but let the men. Everybody else is just like the promoters, like you're not that man, all right. So that's how I identified. I pulled up to playhouse my first time. Instantly v I P. I make friends with DJs. I'm always making friends with DJs. And that's how i made myself out here.
Speaker 1: So you you you you make your connect with the promoter, then you go for the DJ.
Speaker 2: You're a silent killer.
Speaker 1: Now I see, I see how you you're you're working the music business.
Speaker 3: Went for the background and not I just stopped there. I made friends with security. Why because I never had to stand in line. Know where I went smart? You make friends with security, you pull up, the rope is automatically handled.
Speaker 2: How do you make friends with security though?
Speaker 3: You just stand there and talk to them. Honestly, a lot of these securities be door Every time I come to a club the first time, I'm like, is hey, how you doing? You're doing all right?
Speaker 5: Baby?
Speaker 3: How you doing? If it's hot, I see them dabbing it, I'll go get some napkins. Here you go. I see you was hot, Like I just brought you some. And the thing about is being kind, just being kind, being kind to others and patiently not rushing them like, oh I gotta get it. I got again. Half the time, people like they'll be like, don't worry about you standing right here on the side. I got you, and they let you right in. After that point, it's really like you up from there because you can pull up to an event and everybody else is standing in line. But as soon as security open a rope for you and them to them, it's like, who is that? I gotta know who she is? She got to be a somebody because they just opened the rope for her.
Speaker 1: Damn, you need to teach music marketing class. Your sales skills are pretty impressive.
Speaker 3: I think people be worried about the wrong thing half the when they get out here. It's about, oh, I gotta link with the top people. Yeah, like the big, the big, the big dogs. But what they failed to realize is is the producers, the engineers, the security. Who knows all of these big people? Those are the ones pressing the buttons. Yeah, everybody else is just being told what to do.
Speaker 1: Okay, now I see how you're handling it in person. I was also impressed by your following online. Now everything I'm learning about following is that ship is tough.
Speaker 2: How are you able to mask your following?
Speaker 3: Honestly, I'm struggling. I'm not even gonna cap with you. I'm struggling because times are just changing, and the more they come out with platforms, new apps, the more apps start getting boring to people. You have to start finding new ways to entertain your audience because it just starts getting part of like Instagram is starting to slowly like Instagram is slowly starting to die down, and I feel like a lot of people are starting to notice it. TikTok became that thing. Yeah, and now you have like Thread and then you have like I refuse. You know what's so crazy? I joined Thread only to find out afterwards like if you get Thread and you delete it, it deletes your whole Instagram. So what That's how they got already.
Speaker 2: Lunkberg got them.
Speaker 3: That's why everybody has those like little badges in their thing. It's connected to your Instagram. You cannot sign up for Thread without hooking it to your Instagram.
Speaker 2: Dang.
Speaker 1: Now I'm friends with a couple influencers, and I will say this. One of them, day Storm, is a good friend of mine. I noticed that anytime a platform drops, before it even drops, he's already on it. And they're they're quick with the transitions. And if you're not an influencer, you can you get fresh cause you're like, man, I'm just trying to do business, you know, I don't need to be you know, you know, for I guess for people trying to do business, it's like it's a way to promote your product, Like you know how you're focused on promotions. But the way they're coming up with these platforms, it's like, come on, man, how many devices do you need to see me? In ten different ways? On the same on your phone anyways.
Speaker 3: And on top of that, it's the same thing when you really think about it, all you're doing is going live. You're posting what you're doing. How many of these platforms are really different when you really think about it. TikTok you go live, Facebook, you go live, you know, you post your feeds, you post your fees on Instagram, you post your fees on TikTok, you post your feed on thread. What difference are you getting from me?
Speaker 1: I use a scheduling app for ours now, But I will say, like, it's the same content like fourteen different ways.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: And then most people that have Instagram, have Facebook that have linked and to have Twitter that have the It's like, all right, I can't do another app on my phone at this point.
Speaker 3: I can't. And that's that's why you just make your content and then post it on every single one of them.
Speaker 1: Now, when it comes to Instagram, do you fall victim to like the negatives of it?
Speaker 5: Do you?
Speaker 3: That's why I don't allow comments. Oh you don't, really, yeah, to a certain extent, because I feel like social media has come to a point where people are just too comfortable.
Speaker 2: With their opinions. Yes, everyone has an opinion.
Speaker 3: Now it's like, why does it matter? When did it become a pressure thing for artists or just anybody in an entertainment business to have to have opinions. It's like they promote you to be yourself, not to care what people think. But then it's like, oh, but you got to have a comment section for people to tell you what they think. And I just be like, well, I don't really see how it benefits me. Honestly, I don't see how letting people comment benefits me, because either you're praising me or you're tearing me down mentally and emotionally. I'm the person who has to deal with that, nobody else. So I don't allow comments because you're not gonna ruin my day, and because I know mentally and emotionally, I'm one of those people who are still working on not caring what people think. Yeah, it is just a lot easier if I eliminate what causes me like stress, what causes me anxiety, what makes me overthink and overthink about myself? I second guess myself. I second guess things that I'm about to post. Should I post this because of other people's opinion and that's tiring. It's so tiring, it's draining, and I just don't care for it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I never thought about eliminating the comments. I think that's kind of genius. I may steal that down the road. You may see me do that. I've had people recently going on. I've been having a nice lucky streak with women. I'm not gonna lie like I usually interview a lot of men, so I've been and very fortunate this past season to have more a lot more women. But the comments that come from men for the women on my show, I'm very much like, probably I will consider myself the unapproachable type girl, you know, the girl, the girl where guys think she may pull a gun on you if you approach your type. You know I'm that I'm that girl. But if if you come for a girl on my show and you say some disrespectful stuff, I don't give a rats.
Speaker 3: You gotta get it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're gonna you gotta get it.
Speaker 1: And I and I'm to the point where if someone doesn't and I all guys need to know this about me, Like I'm about to post your d M to the world, and like like you want to you you have the balls to say it in private, go ahead say yeah, so, but I blocked, But I will starting like the next time someone really gets under my skin, I'm just gonna screenshot example of inappropriate and then let people have that that.
Speaker 3: Person exactly, because we really need to start sticking up for women way more than we do. And social media has just become one of those things where damn if you do, damn if you don't.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So when it comes to hip hop, who was like your initial like in love, like who was that first or that person and rap that was your rock?
Speaker 3: So I actually started as a singer before I was rapping, and so Winnie Houston and Monica actually inspired me to even do music rapping wild because I was also a big fan of hip hop. I was a big fan of Queen Latifa mc lie, I love Little Kim just back then, and yes, yes, because they have bars and if they were unapologetic with who they were and the way that they delivered in the metaphor, and then they would change their cadence and it'd go from this to that, and I was just like, man, yeah, like I would hear you, I can hear you describe this is a nigga. Yeah, but it's the way that they describe it. Even when little Queen Latifa, who you calling up? It y, like come on, now, that's a message within that like we need more respect, and I just don't. I don't really get inspired by newer audience. So when I do, like do my research on music, I still to this day, I go back and I listen to old school.
Speaker 2: Right, Okay, yeah, I'm like that.
Speaker 1: I will say. It's so funny because I'm a huge jay Z fan. If you walk into the studio, there's.
Speaker 2: Only one in the world.
Speaker 1: Everyone who has come has seen it. It's a huge jay Z painting right in the in the the living room area of this studio. But it's the only one in the world. People can take pictures of it, but they can't take it. But but I remember, uh, you know, I'm a fan of like Lauren Hill and Foxy him and all those guys. But I remember a Million. I don't know if you remember her. I mean, I really wish we could find her and bring her back. But a Milion was like the first woman where I was like, yo, her voice sounds kind of nice on a beat.
Speaker 3: She had a flow.
Speaker 2: M hm.
Speaker 3: She had a flow that when you heard it, you knew it was her.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and that's what we don't have today.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I will say this, knowing what I know about the industry, it's kind of sucks the business side because for whatever reason, you see an artist that talented and then they disappear. You're like, what happened? You know, the industry some some red tape blocked her.
Speaker 3: Or some every time. I think a lot of artists I feel should have been bigger in the industry, they weren't because they weren't down to do what the industry wanted them to do.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And then for women, I personally have some friends that, I mean, they could give Mariah a run for their money. Okay, I got this girl to shout out to Denise if you ever need a really amazing singer. But she just couldn't deal with like just the pressure from men and producers trying to have sex all the time.
Speaker 2: It just got tiring.
Speaker 1: And it was like, beautiful young girl sing her ass off, But it's like, Yo, how many years do you want to go through being treated like that?
Speaker 3: Very discouraging, Yes, it's so discouraging. It really just makes you look at yourself, like am I good enough? Am I talented enough?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: It's like can I really sing? Because if I could? Why do you only see me that way? Why don't you see the music? Why don't you see the talent? Why can't you hear me? Versus damn you fine, let me take you out to the It's like hear my voice?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think for It's funny because I did do the shopping on the show and I was in Walmart.
Speaker 2: Weird ass story, not trying to sidetrack this guy.
Speaker 1: He comes up, He's all super nice, looks like guy that would either duct tape you and throw you in the trunk of the car or or like a super nerd. But you were like in the direction like you but you look like you're also coming. He's like, hey, uh, saw you shopping? And I'm so earheaded, like I did not notice or whatever. He was like, yeah, so you shopping, following you around and I just want to say you're beautiful, and you know, I gave him the whole merry line or whatever. But so I go to check out and then security comes up on this dude to swear to God, true story, and.
Speaker 2: They're like check him out. And then this dude has a huge box of columns and I was like, oh. I was like, yo, you can't.
Speaker 1: I'm not hating on men, but you definitely got to know that men think with two brains and one of them superseds out.
Speaker 2: Can you imagine that?
Speaker 1: And I turned around, I saw that I kept a sober face, and let me tell you something. I sped walk to my car and was like looking at Rustle.
Speaker 2: Like please, God, don't let me, but this gout follow it.
Speaker 1: I was like, yo, he was definitely the the in the trunk of his car type.
Speaker 2: Don't you think he got a van? He got a van or something.
Speaker 3: This is one of them dark bands, them Scooby doo vands.
Speaker 2: You gotta watch out for him. Now, you're beautiful, okay.
Speaker 1: So I define women as there's you know, cute, beautiful, and they're sexy, right, I.
Speaker 2: Would say, you're you're more a sexy Okay.
Speaker 1: So when I think sexy, I think I can't imagine because, like I said, I've seen some of the guests on my show the way some men comment. I'm like, yo, if you actually listen to the full episode, you not be talking like this in my dms.
Speaker 2: But I get it.
Speaker 1: You know, for sound bites, we we you know, we position things in a in a playful way, even on our snippets to obviously get people to tune into the episode. But with you, you know, your wrap is amazing. It is impressive. I used to be the type that would be like anti anything too sexy or judge girls, but a they're doing eating while broke, I'm like, I can't do that because I can honestly say the girls that have even the risky topics that I wouldn't all the way be in support of, I'm like, ah, I'm sorry, that chick is so dope, Like you know, like even getting to know you and hearing your story, you're like, ah, that chick is dope. And that's why I'm like, Yo, if you guys could just get past the look and that's in the sound bites, you can actually see the person.
Speaker 3: Right, but it would just do a lot for hip hop.
Speaker 1: But in your case, it's like, you have the sexy, the brains, the drive. Do you ever feel like you have to do you feel like you have to put on the sexy to be heard or do you feel like is there ever gonna be a place where you can tone it down.
Speaker 3: Actually, it is so funny that you say that, because I just talked to my manager about this. I think was like, yesterday, I go to the studio no makeup. I won't wear any makeup. I don't be dulled up, dressed up. I'm in sweats. And I told him the other day because when I'm in this studio, I've learned when I'm dulled up and I look good, they're distracted. Not my team, but men they come to studio, artists, producers, they be distracted. They not take me serious, and I find myself not getting no work done. And when I started no makeup, just coming in raw, it was like you had no choice but to hear me and to work.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So I say, those places like that are the only places that I can go.
Speaker 1: But so are you saying that you do feel pressure to be at least since in the public.
Speaker 3: Yes, I did, Yeah, because it's I remember I did this one interview and he asked me. He was like, I'm kind of offended that you didn't wear makeup to my interview and I was like why and he was like, because it feels like to him, I don't take him serious, or I didn't take his work serious is because I didn't show up like dulled up and you know, straight like artist. But I was like, I'm my fit was fly, everything was cute, hair done whatever. I just thought, I have no makeup on.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and by the way, your skin is flawless, just so all the listeners know.
Speaker 2: Because I wear makeup. My twins and makeup artists.
Speaker 1: And sometimes when she seems the clips online, she gets frustrated because some days I don't wear makeup.
Speaker 2: Some days I look like I'm I'm a new mom, you know whatever.
Speaker 1: Make she does not need make But I will say this though, Like I I was talking to my sister and she was like, I get so frustrated seeing clips of you online and then sometimes you look like shit and you have a makeup artist of the sister. I'm like, yeah, back, bully, whatever, but I'm looking at you. You don't need makeup for sure. But I think that's interesting that that, like I said it, because it more revealed more about him than you.
Speaker 3: It kind of offended me, Like hold on, y'all preach about us being natural and being in our own skin, and then when we not wear makeup, it's like, oh, you must not take yourself serious because look at you game.
Speaker 1: I feel like I'm almost say that guy isn't a real man, because real men, y'all like cell You y'all.
Speaker 3: Down for him. Of course I had to let him know, Oh babe, I take myself serious, which is why I have no makeup on. I'm comfortable in my skin. I'm comfortable with the way that I look. I love the way that I look with or without makeup. So you know, if you don't want to do this interview, that's fine.
Speaker 2: A how to feel me.
Speaker 1: And usually not trying to throw shade on most of our guests, but I would say fifty percent of our guest show up late. You were on time in advance, Your team was the most efficient with the follow ups, with the Mega shure. Everything was done, and I respect it. And that's why I was telling y'all wanted to touch on that. I like seeing a team that's like everyone's dying eyes, including yourself, crossing the t's let's get this, let's lock it in, let's close the deal, and that alone deserves a seat at the table, you know. But I just I was like, okay, and then listening to the music, of course, but overall, like I listened to the music, thought it.
Speaker 2: Was great shout outs.
Speaker 1: If you guys haven't heard heard a Naya Love Notes music, you should definitely check it out. You can find snippets online or you can actually go on wherever you stream your music.
Speaker 3: You get it right. Well, all my music is under a Naya Love Note. I just dropped a new visual for my new single Sidity.
Speaker 2: And I like that way.
Speaker 3: Thank you. Shout out to Will Smith. Okay, and now we're about to drop a new single called serial feature in a D and casey Veggie. So I'm pretty excited. I get to give La la vibe because we don't really have, you know, artists really pop it right now out of La. In my opinion, I feel like the last person I was like really it was blue face, Oh God, and then after that it was like, by.
Speaker 1: The way, I'm sorry.
Speaker 2: I really want Christian on my shouto. I really love her.
Speaker 3: I love her growth. Yeah, I love her growth.
Speaker 1: I just like, uh, well, I think all women we struggle with self love a little bit. And I so I feel like in that like you could see little bitsy yourself kind of in her journey.
Speaker 3: I think what I saw on myself. Was the love that she had, Like I've never like, of course, no tea, no shade, but I've never written anything in blood to be honest, or got a man's anything tatted on me, to be honest.
Speaker 2: But I didn't know she I know she got it tatt I don't know about the random blood babe.
Speaker 3: Yeah, she wrote in her blood on his wall in his house after she broke into it and then stole the car. But you know, hey, when you love somebody, you love them, and who is anybody else to tell you otherwise? And I just felt like her love was so real, it was so genuine, and maybe his one. And then it became a let's get to this money and that she found herself just the love that everyone else was giving her, letting her know like, you're beautiful and you're talented, you're smart, you don't need him. Yeah, you do this on your own.
Speaker 1: I think there was definitely a lot of probably gas lighting and manipulation on his part. Yes, usually when you see a toxic relationship, men are gonna hate me for this, But I feel like the men lead the toxicity in the relationship because they are the leaders.
Speaker 2: So if a man starts doing crazy stuff.
Speaker 1: Then usually I hate to say it, guys, but the woman will follow suit. If you're a healthy man, you're white, you're a girl, your wife will more than likely be healthy because at the end of the day, you guys, unnatural or naturally, are the leader of the relationship. So like, even if you're dating a toxic girl, I've seen toxic girls turn untoxic dating the right guy.
Speaker 3: The right man and I have been through that situation.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so there was we were talking a little bit behind the scenes about some of your relationships. There was one relationship that you said that helped you transition or helped you in some sort of way.
Speaker 3: Sodia Soldier boy. When me and him was dating, to be honest, I felt like I was so focused on him, Like anytime he'd be like, hey, what you doing, pull up? I drop what I was doing and pull up. And the reason why I said it helped me is because it taught me in this industry one it don't matter if a man has money or no money, men or men at the end of the day. So what I learned was when I was focused on him, I should have been focused on myself. Anytime I would pull up and he's recording, just knocking out songs back to back to back, and I'm sitting here, sitting here watching him do it. I should have been working.
Speaker 1: And he knew you were a recording artist. Yeah, did he support your music?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Actually he allowed me to direct and choreograph make a Clap, the first one and the second one with French Montana. So but the way that I am, I don't never try to do business and personal. I don't really care who you are, because I want to say I came up and I earned it myself. I don't never want nobody to say the only reason why she made is because so and so. That would just be a slap in the face for everything that I went through. But with Sojia, it was like I'd come, he'd plays music, we'd be dancing in the living room, and I could tell how much he loved what he did. And the only thing I could also think up on the side was damn girl, you need to be in a studio like you need to be working.
Speaker 2: You need to be there for you.
Speaker 3: And I kept finding it as a distraction. Eventually, like man, it broke me. Me and him had our situation which led us to no longer dating. But it really did break me, like Soldier broke me, and he built me at the same time, like he built me to be a better me. And you know what I mean, trying to broke me as an I he was like one of the first celebs I guess that I dated and broke me asn't. I started losing myself, just losing myself within him. Every time he would call, I'd answered. Anytime he wanted me to pull up, I drop what I was doing. Anytime he wasn't answering the phone. Why you're not answering the phone?
Speaker 2: And what are you doing?
Speaker 3: Who you with? Like? And that's not me, Like, that's not who I am naturally as a woman. So I just found myself becoming somebody that I was not trying to please him, knowing like I'm looking on the shade room, you posted up with this shorty next thing. You know you posted up with this girl?
Speaker 2: Stuff about it? Or did you?
Speaker 3: Just one time we got into it and I was yelling and he got mad at me because I yelled at him in his house and I was just like you over here posted with this girl in the shade room and da da da da, and he's like, that girl wanted to take a picture, so I posted. You could have you know, if you want to take a picture, we could have took a picture. I respect your privacy, so I'm not about to be out here. Okay, let's take a picture. It's like I'm posted it and go in the shade room. I don't care enough to do that. So by me seeing the type of women you were, and I'm looking at me like you know, and I'm gonna keep it transparent because I don't care. When before Make It, Clod came out, I was sleeping on the floor with you in your big eyes mansion when you had a small couch and my foot was one way and his feet was the other way. Before he yeah, got a bed in his crib. I'm sleeping in this big ass mansion with you on this small ass couch. And all I could think of was, this is me testing myself if I ride it. I you get what I'm saying, like you got some women, Oh you ain't gonna I'm out me. I'm like, I don't care.
Speaker 1: Now this is during Soldiers, because this is before Make It. This is when he was just making Make It. Clap so how because social came out when he was like seventeen. Yes, so that was after make it.
Speaker 3: This was like right before I met Soldier, like in twenty and twenty twenty one.
Speaker 1: Okay, so yeah, this is way after because Soldier's career, Soldier, I feel like Soldier's career is so long.
Speaker 2: Like most people that.
Speaker 1: Have a long career, it's like you ride the waves of success and family, yes.
Speaker 3: And you up and down up now and around that time, he was at just about to get back up, yes, okay, but it was still where he was, where he was at, And so for me, I just didn't care. I'm gonna sleep on this blood with you if I got to. Yeah, you ain't got no bed. I don't give a damn baby's hop on this couch.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So you were like old school with the Rider Die.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it kind of I do blame hip hop for the Rider Die Eric for a lot of us women that grew up in that, like, oh you want to be the rider die for your guy, because looking back now like that is definitely toxic.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, I.
Speaker 1: Just realized we didn't even try your nachos.
Speaker 2: Hold up, We're gonna try some of these nachos.
Speaker 1: Sorry, I'm gonna grab some of the chips, right, and then you're gonna put some on top. Do you want to use that wooden spoon? I'm like sitting here all in your start. We didn't even try these. We have to try these, these beautiful mama nachos. So you guys know one of our previous guests did have nachos on the show, So I will be comparing nachos.
Speaker 3: And you gotta be like, very honest.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna tell you. Norm Steels had to read on nacho chips.
Speaker 3: See he had.
Speaker 1: I saw that, like, oh do that he had the real dacha. He had the one, the actual doritos.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he took it there. Yeah, so I feel like you're gonna.
Speaker 3: Be cheating because that's like giving real flavor. Though, like you that's real flavor.
Speaker 2: You feel.
Speaker 1: I will say this though he had a lot more ingredients, so it may be comparing apples to tomatoes or whatever, because definitely this had very limited But let's go ahead and try this.
Speaker 3: Mamnacho's ain't fl mama nachos.
Speaker 2: Anaya mama nachos. Hmmm, pretty good.
Speaker 3: I'm not gonna liem it. Definitely tastes different and new with the turkey meat.
Speaker 2: Really you don't like it? I like him.
Speaker 3: I like it with the turkey meat. I was gonna say, I normally use the red meat, but this tastes really good with the turkey. And then that this right here is not too bad. It's not the season that I normally use, but this actually came out really good. So if I see anybody with this in their cabinet, now I know what it is. Because I really thought it was just more like onions and stuff.
Speaker 1: I will say, I want to try it with the CHILIESE on it. The chip with the chilies, M not that beast right, well done. I think belvida cheese. I think it's salty, right, is that what's given?
Speaker 2: A little salty?
Speaker 3: Actually?
Speaker 2: How you gonna compliment and take it away?
Speaker 3: I ain't gonna this one. Gave it a little bit of salt.
Speaker 2: It's definitely saltier.
Speaker 3: Oh no, no, no no. I didn't know how much to honestly use this because I never used it before, so I feel like I used a little bit too much.
Speaker 2: So stick to the original. All part it is.
Speaker 3: That's what I grew up on. This is a today's learning situation.
Speaker 2: So I may have messed up your dish a little bit, but we're still good.
Speaker 3: Still good. Okay, wait, I'm.
Speaker 2: Gonna try not to eat.
Speaker 3: Who's this better? I know what she's gonna say. She's gonna say her the dorito nachos.
Speaker 2: This girl, I'm sorry he cheated.
Speaker 1: This is what I will say. Norms nachos shout out to Norms. Steel was better, but technically he had way more ingredients, and he had luxury ingredients because this is.
Speaker 2: Regular tortilla chips.
Speaker 1: Doritos are like way more so if you're on a budget, this works fine, but between y'all, you better get Norms of recipe.
Speaker 2: Because his nachos by far work.
Speaker 3: Now my ones. Look, honey, you know chronicles.
Speaker 2: We should have you on his podcast.
Speaker 3: There so I can bring my nachos and be like.
Speaker 1: Look, yeah, yeah, he does gangster chronicles. You fit right in there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think.
Speaker 2: Damn.
Speaker 1: I didn't mean to cut off in the middle of soul, just just in your relationship, but but no, these notchos are really good. I was like, so caught up in the story that I heard a random sound. I was so caught up in the story that I forgot about the meal. Surprisingly, I don't know how that happened.
Speaker 3: It'd be like that the T be good, the T be good, the T be good.
Speaker 1: Is there any other milestones that you hit that were like kind of a little harder to overcome where you kind of stalled out a little bit?
Speaker 3: Honestly, I think being out here in La, it was a one point where as a black woman, I just didn't know how to maneuver because certain doors were more so for like women of lighter color. Yea, men flock to more lighter colored women. So when I came out here, I felt like the most thing that I struggled with was just self love at one point, because I see how people can say La can eat you alive if you don't know who you are, and just losing myself dealing with that, and then I'm trying to get in certain doors, but it's like, dang, I'm tired of everyone and try to sleep with me, but I'm the black girl of the group, and I just feel like I really had to find myself.
Speaker 2: How do you curb?
Speaker 1: I still struggle with this, But when I was younger, when I first moved to LA, I definitely used my looks to get into doors, and then I would swear on my brains to keep me there.
Speaker 2: And it was a hard battle. And that's why I said I.
Speaker 1: Became the unapproachable, like the fu Tim Waring girl. I have a fat booty for everybody that doesn't know you feel me. But but uh, but as long as I'm in the one three club, like one thirties club, it's not two outrageous.
Speaker 2: But usually I'm about one fifties, so I'm like thick.
Speaker 1: So I would always wear like whatever I can to cover, you know, but still you can't.
Speaker 2: You can only hide that so much.
Speaker 3: You from New York, they all.
Speaker 1: But but I did use looks for a long time to get in the door. And that's how the industry is. But even in that, I still every once in a while will come across like someone that I do want to work with. And then like, obviously for my history of being in the entertainment, like you could tell when a guy's trying to fuck, like even if they're trying to flee cool you like you can tell little things. How are you able to still curve those? Because I still struggle to the point where I'm like, fuck man, I just want to just keep it real.
Speaker 3: Well. Those is hard because it really just depends. Like if it's somebody I really really want to work with and they just see you as right the time, I'll just like laugh it off, like.
Speaker 1: You get past it because I can't see No, I'll tell you right now, I can't, and I'm gonna I'm gonna tell you I can't.
Speaker 3: People, But I am so upfront and I do not apologize for it instantly. I'm be like, look, I came to work, so you on anything else past what I'm trying to do. I'm just letting you know right now like I came to work.
Speaker 2: And then once they cut the bridge right.
Speaker 3: Now, at that point, it's like, yeah, no, let's work, let's get it in like that.
Speaker 2: But what if they say that then you never and I just be like.
Speaker 3: Okay, that's cool, I understand, and I just let it go. I just let it go because I think I had one person tell me one time. He was like, never say what you wouldn't do, and I was like, what you mean? And he was like, if Drake wanted to fuck and you know for a feature, would you I say, you're not, Drake. Just get that out the way. And second of all it really, I'm gonna be honest.
Speaker 2: You know what, Let's go back to the first one.
Speaker 1: You ain't Drake, Okay, you something.
Speaker 2: I don't know. I haven't seen Drake in person. I don't. I don't do light skin.
Speaker 1: By the way, I don't love I don't like white skin because I'm mixed.
Speaker 2: And I'll tell you right now. Anybody that looks like my brother, I.
Speaker 1: Am like, if you got the curly hair, like you know, the mulatto, the curls, if you don't have like the fro or like can have a fade like nah, But I don't really mess with There's like literally one.
Speaker 2: Light skin dude. I like my whole life, but that's it.
Speaker 3: Like dark skins get me in trouble. I love dark skins. I could deal with you because I know there's no future.
Speaker 1: But saying that, if you were Drake for a feature, I'm like, come on, man, you got like Drake talent, n you have. Maybe Drake ain't the worst looking dude. I maybe give Drake a pass.
Speaker 3: Because in my mind, I'm like, to be honest with you, Yeah, me getting that feature would do way more for me than anything else. But at the same time, It's like, dang, the way that you think that though, Like it was just the conversation alone and his mind frame of the way he was thinking alone just made me be like, man, this is a real industry mess. Yeah, this real industry mess, and I don't care. Oh my god. Oh it burns me up when a man is very arrogant and it goes down the list of things and people that he know and that is your reasoning for fucking with him.
Speaker 1: Oh oh, that happens all the time in the industry. It's so annoying. They'll be like, you don't know how great I am.
Speaker 2: Let me show you some shit you're missing out, Like.
Speaker 3: You just passed up on a good thing. And I know this person, I could really do something for your dream. And I'd be like, by if you got to tell me all of that, then you really probably.
Speaker 2: Not that Yeah, yeah, exactly. Now you've been in LA for how long.
Speaker 3: Now going on five years?
Speaker 2: Five years, and you're ready, you're ready to keep going. Honestly, I dropped out for ten years. I'm not even gonna lie. I took a ten year hiatus.
Speaker 3: I think I'm ready to explore somewhere new, honestly, But I honestly think me moving around comes from just being in foster care. I just stand somewhere for a certain long time. I can honestly say I don't know where I would make home.
Speaker 1: Okay, I agree with that, Like I sometimes think about that. I own a house here, about it a long time ago. So I'm keeping it because equity in LA is amazing and it's almost paid off. So it's gonna be my I feel like it's gonna be my Kelli home. But I think my real home is going to be in another that you know, just gives us more bank for our buck. They do, oh they Why do I keep spacing on this?
Speaker 2: But I wanted to ask you? Are you in a relationship? Are you do you? Guys?
Speaker 3: Girls have the asses now I know, right, but no, I do not date girls. I'm strictly for the penis and when.
Speaker 2: And I just had this conversation the other day.
Speaker 3: But every now and then against that, I'm not against it, I am.
Speaker 2: Okay. So my twin and I had this conversation.
Speaker 1: True story, we had this conversation and I was like, yeah, my husband he's a hoe, like I'm legit married a whore like.
Speaker 2: These It's terrible at this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I already married him, so I mean it's either divorce or you're married to a whore.
Speaker 2: So anyways, my sister was like, well, would you ever consider a threesome?
Speaker 1: And I was like, Rebecca, like, I'm so not gay, Like I could tell a beautiful girl. But that's where it stopped, exactly like, I'm not trying to do nothing with you.
Speaker 3: And that's where my threesome is kind of kind of like they kind of yeah, because I honestly just went through a situation not too long ago. Oh my gosh, it was the worst situation ever in life history. So I get flown out. And then it was the guy's birthday. And I had been talking to him for like a good mini right, So we're like eight months and I'm like, okay, it's your birthday. He's like, you won't have a three something. I'm like, okay, man, I'm down. He brings the shorty down me and this girl argued the entire There was no threesome. It was simply just fussing and fighting and arguing.
Speaker 2: What were y'all arguing about.
Speaker 3: It's like when he would like be with me, she'd get pissed and then when I run, yeah, like we all, we all, we all in this one place.
Speaker 2: She walks in the room and.
Speaker 3: She's like, I'm just gonna go sit outside. I'm just gonna wait outside, and I'm just like gonna sleep out. I don't want to sleep in the back and and my mom, I'm like, I'm gonna be honest with you. We came out here for a weekend. It's a weekend. It's one of those weekends that you know what it is, and then when you leave.
Speaker 2: You go about today.
Speaker 3: I didn'tn't get anything that I wanted because I was too busy, and he was too busy, and everybody else was too busy babysitting feelings. And that's one of those things that pissed me off because I'm not gay, So for her, her she is she likes girls and I don't like girls. So her argument was, well, what would I do with you and a threesome? Like, and I'm like, I'm gonna be honest. I don't like head. I don't like head.
Speaker 2: I don't like giving it or receive it.
Speaker 3: I don't like receiving it. So I don't want it from a man, and I don't want it from a woman, I don't want it, so her mind was we do it.
Speaker 2: You haven't had it.
Speaker 1: Everybody that, because I'm telling you what you haven't done right. One whoever did it right probably owns you for the rest of a life. I hate to say it, I promise you like ninety percent of the reason why I buried my husband was probably the head. I ain't even gonna lie it was. I'm not gonna say it was the best decision, but I'm gonna say that ship tips to scale for me.
Speaker 3: See, you know the thing about it, I had a total point where I'm was like, Okay, now I know what women are talking about, but I'm just it's just not a thing for me.
Speaker 2: You're not hearing me.
Speaker 3: It has to be like that.
Speaker 1: It has to be like there's there's okay, there's that the C plus to B plus head, but then.
Speaker 3: There's the head that's like unresistible can yes?
Speaker 1: And then you think to yourself, well, this person can't possibly do it again. And then once they do it again and do it again, you're like, wait a minute, and.
Speaker 3: See I've cut off a lot of that.
Speaker 1: It's like men be like let me get yeah, I won't let dudes try it, because I'm like, if you fail, I mean, I'm forever going to be.
Speaker 2: Fucked in my head. I don't want you to trying to get it right. I mean, that's how it wasn't.
Speaker 1: My husband was like, he was like, you don't want I was like, nah, man, because if you fuck it up, then I'm scarred and I don't ever want to try again.
Speaker 3: That's exactly why I think I am the way I am. When I lost my virginity and I first got head, it was so horrible. It was just so bad. I wasn't even sure if that was exactly how it was supposed to go. I just knew this is not for me.
Speaker 2: That's how I will.
Speaker 3: Never try this again. This is not it. Did this just bite me?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 1: You know, I just said, what is it?
Speaker 2: Am I supposed to kil teeth?
Speaker 5: No? No?
Speaker 2: It was bad. Yeah, And once you.
Speaker 1: Had those experiences, like I promise you, it wasn't until like a couple of years ago that I did it. Not that every listener, I promise everyone's never gonna see me the same after this. But the truth of the batter is once it's done right, and when I say right now, you know, because even with me. I was skeptical, Okay, this nigga, maybe maybe it was a random unicorn. But then there was consistency, and.
Speaker 6: I said, oh, well ship okay again, you.
Speaker 2: Want me to round? Where do I sign exactly?
Speaker 5: I do?
Speaker 2: I do? You know, don'tn't worry.
Speaker 1: But needed I got you, I got you, got me did yeah. But you know my downside is I married a whore, so you know he had experience.
Speaker 3: See, and I yet to even let I think I meet a guy and I'd be like, nope, I don't want it. You very well could be You very well could be amazing. You very well could be the one I needed to change my whole life. But because I'm so scarred off of it, I won't even let you attempt it. That's off of the fear of what you said, like it being so bad.
Speaker 2: That's how it was by the time I got to my husband. But then my homegirl was like.
Speaker 1: Oh, I think what it really is, said, you're scared he gonna do it so good you're gonna hand them your debit cards, and I said.
Speaker 5: Shut up.
Speaker 2: But then I was like, well, maybe she got a point, like what if it's good.
Speaker 3: Know, worry about the baby I'll buy lunch today and a card.
Speaker 2: I was like, take the card.
Speaker 3: You said you was going on food.
Speaker 2: My treat, my tree, my tree, it's on the house.
Speaker 3: Maybe that's what it is. I'm just too scared.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you gotta star that, and I guarantee you.
Speaker 1: I spent like I mean, I lost my Virginia late, but I definitely will say that up until my husband, everybody was trashed.
Speaker 3: So and that was her argument. She was like, what would I do in a threesome? And you want to you don't even like it.
Speaker 1: And I was like, I'll tell you though, would admitted to going down to the girl. She said she was hard for life. She just liked she can't.
Speaker 3: Do whatever again, certain things I just will not do.
Speaker 2: After story, I said, I'm good.
Speaker 3: I heard plenty of those stories.
Speaker 2: And I'm just like, if you straight, stay straight.
Speaker 3: And I think that my straightness stops there. Like we could do just threesome, but what.
Speaker 2: Are you gonna do in the three someome?
Speaker 3: So see this, That's what I was trying to tell her. You know, there's a lot of things that you could do. Besides you give me you don't got to.
Speaker 2: Give me had what are you gonna do kisser this.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's a lot of things other things, but there's like toys.
Speaker 2: And you're hilarious. We don't touch you, know, as long.
Speaker 3: As you don't you don't put your mouth down there, and I'm not putting my mouth on you down there. That's fine. But we both can give him head like we can give him head at the same time.
Speaker 2: It's hilarious. Just just say you're not doing three something. It's because it's okay. I'll tell you right now. I don't do three. I don't do nothing better if.
Speaker 3: I let him get me out of it.
Speaker 1: When a guy offers me a threesome, I say, okay, you want to offer a straight person a threesome, how about I offer you a man and know you're not gay and tell me how you feel about it.
Speaker 3: Maybe I am at fault. Maybe maybe it is my fault.
Speaker 2: You know, it's just that you're not into women.
Speaker 3: I just felt like if you was a freak, you could come up with multiple things to do besides just that one little thing. Does that one little thing really separated from being a threesome or not?
Speaker 1: If you're not into women, just own it own and naya love note not into women, sexually.
Speaker 3: Okay, I will, I will kiss a girl. I kiss the girl.
Speaker 5: Well, I.
Speaker 1: Just want to say, I'm so happy we got together.
Speaker 5: You are.
Speaker 2: I was doing that just so you know.
Speaker 1: Our waters aren't water, they're alavera juice and it has pulping.
Speaker 2: That's what I did, the same thing. I was like, just look it up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it looks funny when you because I saw yours.
Speaker 2: But no, you're still trying to talk to me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's ala vera juice, but there's pulping it. So if you see us like choking, it's so good. But shout outs to you for coming down here. You're breath of fresh air. I hope you can be called a home girl now because you are definitely funny. Yes, and now we have one thing for sure in common, which is we can we agree that we straight.
Speaker 2: We're straight.
Speaker 1: I think society puts a lot of pressure on women right now with this whole you know lgbt Q. You know, everyone's being open and accepting and the freak is the new thing. But I think it's perfectly okay. And I learned this with my husband. Like my husband's a whore, I'm not a whore. And sometimes I'll be like, this sucks. I feel like a nerd, you know. But it's like, yo, I can't change who I am, and I just got to own like who I am and who he is or two different people.
Speaker 3: Especially just being in this industry, because in this industry you were gonna have to deal with men who deals with a lot of other women. And so it's kind of like I think that's where that comes from, because I don't want him out here with everybody else. So maybe I should, you know, like some females and then bring her in the bedroom so he'd feel like he ain't gotta go looking for nowhere else my girl, like girls, what else. But it's just like it's a it's a it's a point that if you start from that point forward, you really got to find an exit plan because then it becomes without you, then it's the same, the same shit you would have dealt with, regardless if you did it or you didn't do it.
Speaker 1: I think it all boils down to like just owning who you are. Like like I said, like I'll tell my husband knows you can't pay me to be with a woman. It ain't gonna happen. But I could tell a beautiful girl from a mile away. I just you know, I think women are just naturally beautiful. It's hard for me to see an ugly woman, to be honest, because every woman I'll be like, I could see the beauty in her.
Speaker 3: I have seen a few of them in my mind. I'd be like, are you sure you're human? There's no way, no way, there's no way. All right, I don't care what you say.
Speaker 2: So what are the next milestones for you?
Speaker 3: Just putting out new music? Honestly, I want next year to be me living fully out my dreams. I want to be where I said I was going to be this year. Shout out to my new management Kyle and Nato. They are so awesome. And just being in a room where I'm tooken serious and where it's like we laugh, we joke. I've never really had management to where it was like that and where I felt like, Okay, I'm here, like I'm making the right steps. I'm with the real deal. Now, this is the real deal, so I can't mess up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you don't have any day jobs. You're a hundred percent right now just artists. So you're making your money off music and music and social media and social media because you have brand deals or.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so I do sponsor deals. I'm sponsored by bel Air, shout out to them, and then just being on like a camp influencers campaign, so I'll get paid from like posting, branding sponsorships. I just got on this new app called Bigo, and you make money just from going live, just being on live all day, change change like you cash up. So a lot of everything that my money comes from is music and social media.
Speaker 1: Wow, okay, so entrepreneur, So okay, that's amazing. I think that's a huge milestone and of itself because living in LA you'll see a lot of artists are still.
Speaker 2: Struggling to be one hundred percent all in.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and that is still a thing. I don't want nobody to confuse it. You know, I don't have it all together. I never ever want anyone to assume, which they do, because that's all that we give is positivity on social media. But I'm still figuring it out and I'm still getting there, and my dreams are still being worked on. So it's just just keep going.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And then just so you guys know, I don't know, I can't fully pinpoint. I'm not inside your life to know where you are in your career. But the thing that stands out the most for me when it comes to you is the tenacity, the openness, but more importantly the drive. Okay, like this, like I said, your team was so thorough. I probably had the crazy schedule the last couple of weeks, but the thoroughness just shows how how hard you're working to like, we're going to conquer this stone. That's it. Okay, we got that stone out of the way. Let's go after this stone. And I think that's why you're at this table. And it's a pleasure.
Speaker 2: To have you. Everyone.
Speaker 1: Go Anaya love note. You can follow her on Instagram. Is there anything else like I'm missing? Like I know there's all these platforms follow that name, but honestly, the name.
Speaker 3: You just type that in and everything will come up.
Speaker 2: Okay, Yeah, listen to her music Siditi.
Speaker 3: Yes, okay, because Sadditi is going crazy. And you know what, I shout out to everyone that was a part of Sadditi, all the writers, everyone, just video shoot girls. I just am so in love with that song. Thank you, Thank you guys.
Speaker 2: Peace out.
Speaker 1: Piece for more Eating while Broke from iHeartRadio and the Black Effect, Visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.