Speaker 1: Welcome.
Speaker 2: It is Verdic with Center, Ted Cruz, Ben Ferguson with you in this episode will be a dual episode. Nice show in Center Cruise as well here because we're trying to figure out what the hell's going on, just like every other American when it comes to is the government open?
Speaker 1: Is it closed? Center?
Speaker 2: As we are doing this ten o'clock Eastern, we're recording on Sunday night. You've just left the Senate for so where the hell are we now? Because there were some reports like the government's reopened, then it's not reopen. We're heading towards reopening.
Speaker 1: What is right? What's wrong?
Speaker 3: Well, we have really good news, which is the government is in the process of reopening. It's not going to be reopened on Monday, but we got the votes tonight that will start the process of reopening it. We're going to explain exactly what that means, what the deal, what the deal was, and what the timing is going to be and how that's likely to impact you, whether it is going to a national park or going to the Smithsonian or flying on an airplane, what the timing is likely to be. We're also going to talk to you about a bill that I introduced this past week, the Deporting Fraudster's Bill that is going after illegal immigrants who are fraudulently getting welfare benefits. And right now, fraudulently taking welfare benefits is not a statutory ground for deportation. I'm introducing legislation to change that. We'll explain that all to you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's really incredible.
Speaker 2: I want to take a moment and talk to you about Hillsdale College and saying, amazing that's happening right now. I am taking a class. I wanted to say it was a refresher course. It's really been so much more than that. And it is about the constitution. Constitution one oh one, and Hillsdale College has done an amazing job of allowing people to continue to learn about this country at their own pace online. Now in a brand new six part documentary series, Hillsdale College professors are now teaching you the religious, political, cultural, and economic ideas that shape a uniquely American cultured during the colonial period. You're gonna learn why the idea of liberty, especially religious liberty, inspired the settlers of America to cross the Atlantic. You're gonna learn how Americans organize local governments to rule and protect themselves, and why America has always been a land where virtue can lead to peace and prosperity.
Speaker 1: Most of us know that the Declaration of.
Speaker 2: Independence marks the beginning of America as an independent nation, but this Hillsdale course focuses on the forging of the American character that made the Revolution possible and why it's more important than ever to remember and reclaim that character today. So here's the part that I love the most. Hillsdale College is doing something amazing. They are offering these courses to you guys listening, completely free and it's easy to access. Hillsdale is now offering more than forty other free online courses, just like the Constitution one oh one class I'm taking right now.
Speaker 1: They of course on C. S.
Speaker 2: Lewis, the stories of the Book of Genesis, the Rise in the Fall of the Roman Republic, and you can even go deeper on the American founding and the Constitution, all for free. How do you get take the classes for free right now? Go to Hillsdale dot edu slash verdict enroll right now.
Speaker 1: There's no costs, it's easy to get started.
Speaker 2: That's Hillsdale dot edu slash verdict to enroll for free Hillsdale dot edu slash verdict and see all the classes, the forty plus classes you can take right.
Speaker 1: Now for free.
Speaker 2: All right, So center, there was a lot of excitement earlier Sunday evening. My phone blew up. I'm assuming you were getting the text me. It's like, oh great, the government's wide open again. It's gonna go back to normal. I wish that was true. You just described it as we've got the votes to move forward. Explain the process, because I mean, even on social media it was like the government's reopen.
Speaker 1: I'm like, not so so fast. That's not how this can work.
Speaker 2: In fact, they could take almost another week and totally get this thing back to where it needs to be.
Speaker 3: So look, the good news is we finally have a deal and we got the votes that are necessary to reopen the government. So we've had a shutdown, the Schumer shutdown.
Speaker 4: For forty days. Yeah, fourteen different times.
Speaker 3: Fourteen times Republicans have voted to open the government, fourteen times Democrats have voted no, have voted to keep the government shut down. Now, remember, the entire reason that we have a shutdown is because under the Senate rules, you need sixty votes to move to proceed to legislation funding the government. We only have fifty three Republicans. That means we need at least seven Democrats, and unfortunately ran votes no on all of these, So we have fifty two Republicans to fund the government.
Speaker 4: So we need eight Democrats.
Speaker 3: The fourteen times we've voted over the last forty days, over and over and over again, we've gotten at most two or three Democrats. Tonight Sunday, it's just a few minutes after ten pm Sunday night, we finally got the eight Democrats we needed. So the Democrats who voted to reopen the government are Durbin, Hassen, King, Cortes, Masto, Cain, Shaheen, Rosen, and Fetterman. Those are the eight we got exactly what we needed. We ended up with sixty votes, not sixty one, so that not in a sink. Every other Democrat voted no. Keep it shut down. But getting eight is important, and there was a substantive deal. But the substantive deal has several pieces. Number one, there's a continuing resolution that runs through January thirtieth. So one thing that was really important to me and to a lot of conservatives was that we not have government funding expire right before Christmas. Often government fundings expires right before Christmas, and they use the desire everyone has to go home to their families for the holidays to twist our arms into passing a really bad bill. So this does not end right before Christmas. The CR instead, the continuing Resolution continues until the end of January. That was significant. We also included three appropriation bills in the deals. Now, these are appropriation bills. There are two ways you can fund the government. You can fund the government through an appropriation bill. There are thirteen different appropriation bills that fund different cabinet agencies in different major programs. Those take sixty votes. That's what's called regular order. That's the way the system is supposed to work. And then you can also fund the government through a continuing resolution also called a CR, that just keeps everything the way it was before and maintains the status quo. We ended up doing a combination of both. So in this deal we have number one the ag approach, So that's the agriculture appropriation that includes the funds that farmers rely on, but it also importantly includes snap It includes food food stamps. So yeah, one of the consequences of the shutdown was the funding for food stamps went away. With this appropriation bill, we will fund the food stamps for an entire year, so that will be taken off the table.
Speaker 2: And by the way, let's be very clear about that, Republicans tried to make sure that even with the government shutdown, that snap benefits were continuing and were not stopped. Democrats made damn sure that people did not get their food stamp benefits during the forty day the longest shut down in American history. They did that because they thought it was leveraged to hurt the poorest among us in America, and that would then give them leverage to get more of the port rail things they wanted for the Democratic programs and initiatives, and they didn't care if you couldn't feed your kids over the last forty days.
Speaker 3: So understand that was the entire Democrat strategy is maximize the pain on the American people, because the more pain that they could inflict, they were counting on the media to be dishonest and blame it all on Trump. And so repeatedly this past week, I went back and forth with Democrats repeatedly, and their talking points were very simple. They would say, well, you have a Republican president, Republican Senate, Republican House. The shutdown is their fault, and that was it. And they were counting on the dishonest corporate media to tell that lie what they omitted. And actually I talked about this just this weekend. I spoke on the Senate Florida. I said, look, whenever anyone takes an oath to testify in court, that they put their hand on the Bible and they pledged to tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth. Well, the Democrats saying that they're failing part number two, the whole truth, because it is true we have a Republican president, House and Senate. What they're ignoring is the fact that it requires sixty votes and it is the Democrats who forced the shut down because they're the ones that are not voting to keep the government open. This package, we took three appropriations bills, the AG Appropriation Bill which is farmers, ranchers and food stamps, the Military Construction and the VA Bill so that funds funds our veterans and also gives funds for military construction projects across the country. And then the Legislature Bill, which, among other things, we increase the funding for security for members of Congress. Given the political violence we see, I think that's very important to have more funds to increase security on both sides of the aisle.
Speaker 4: So that package.
Speaker 3: Those are three appropriation bills that were bipartisan. The Democrats had a party in that were passed along with the thirty day CR or not thirty day the CR to January thirtieth.
Speaker 1: Three, Henry thirtieth.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so all of that is what we got sixty votes for tonight. Now what does that mean tomorrow morning? Does that mean the government is opened Monday morning? Unfortunately no.
Speaker 2: FINT people are frustrated because they think, well, you guys shut it down quickly, then why can't you just reopen it quickly?
Speaker 1: And this is how the sausage is made.
Speaker 2: And that's why I think there's some misc communication on Sunday night about oh, the government's like open up. I mean there was major news out it's like government opening up, the votes to have it, and they're thinking, all right, well, if I'm flying out Monday or Monday afternoon or Tuesday, yeah, there should be no problems at the airport. That's also not true. I want to be very clear about that.
Speaker 3: Look, if the Democrats want to be full obstructionist, they could delay opening the government as late as Friday of this week. Because there are a series of votes we have to take in. Under the Senate rules, they can delay thing. They have a right to an intervening day between one voter and another. They can delay things for thirty hours, and so they could drag it out even though we have the sixty votes. They could drag it out as late as Friday. My guess is they'll drag it out till Monday or Tuesday. My best guess is the government will open up Tuesday or Wednesday. But we really are dealing with Look the Bernie Sanders is of the world. By the way, Chuck Schumer voted no, because the whole point of this was for him to tell the crazy left he still hates Donald Trump. Now, I don't think these eight Democrats would have voted yes without Schumer blessing their voting yes. So this was always going to end this one.
Speaker 2: I was going to ask you, so getting to the perfect number of eight, and again, this is how the sausage is made. So let's talk about behind the scenes. You guys, the Republicans have been meeting right behind the scenes. You have your normal lunches that you have in your other meetings, And I see you guys on the four of the Senate talking and you're outside the Senate. I mean Democrats are doing the same thing when they decide who is in the eight to vote yes? Is that strategic based on who needs cover when they're running for office?
Speaker 1: Is that? I mean?
Speaker 2: There's some like Fetterman that clearly were leaders on this, just saying I think it's wrong to hold the American be a hostage.
Speaker 1: I'm voting to open this thing up.
Speaker 2: How do they decide on the exact eight And is it literally to the point where they're like, all right, we're gonna only give eight, and you got to make your arm to us why you should be in the eight and we'll give you that blessing.
Speaker 1: How does that work?
Speaker 4: So I don't know for sure.
Speaker 3: I will say there were a number of Republicans who were surprised we did not get more than eight. So there were other Democrats who were telling Republicans privately they were going to vote yes to open the government. People like John Ossoff who's got He's the most vulnerable Democrat running for reelection in Georgia. He just voted the fifteenth time to keep the government shut down, you know Georgia. By the way, Raphael Warnock, the other Georgia senator, did as well. We actually thought there was a real possibility they would both vote tonight to open the government. I don't know what Osof's calculus was. Warnock will often vote with Osof to give him some political coverage, so we figured that they would go They would go either both yes or both no. They both voted to keep the government shut down.
Speaker 2: What is the chances to guys like that on Tuesday Wednesday vote yes? After they say all right, well fine, we're already going to be there. Does that change you think that eight number? Could that change attends over or is it pretty much as eight no?
Speaker 3: I could easily see on a subsequent vote some additional Democrats, Patty Murray, who is the senior Democrat on the Appropriations Committee, a number of Republicans believe she was going to vote yes. I mentioned we just were going to pass three appropriation bills. She played a major hand in drafting those three appropriation bills, and so for appropriators. Look, when Chuck Schumer and the Democrats had the majority, do you know how many appropriation bills they passed into law?
Speaker 1: How many?
Speaker 4: Zero?
Speaker 3: The process was broken, They didn't do appropriations. It's our hope to actually go through the process, to have amendments, to negotiate it. And that's what these three bills are doing. And yet the senior Democrat on the Appropriations Committee voted no. Chris Coons, who is widely seen as one of the more moderate Democrats, he voted to keep the government shut down. Alyssa Slotkin from Michigan. Look, Michigan's a purple state. She voted to keep the government shut down. Gary Peters, also from Michigan, retiring, he voted to keep the government to shut down. So there were another half dozen or so that a lot of folks thought we would have a chance at getting their votes, and we did not.
Speaker 2: So when you don't get those votes, we move forward. You said this thing could end up to Friday. You're guessing probably Tuesday, Wednesday the government reopens.
Speaker 1: How many more votes after tonight?
Speaker 2: Again, for people that are listening, we're doing this Sunday night at ten to fifteen right now in DC. How many people are how many votes will it take starting now to get the government actually reopened.
Speaker 3: We need to continue to hold sixty, but we're going to the underlying terms of the deal have been cut. So I don't expect any of the eight who just voted yes to flip. So I think we've got our sixty. But the remaining Democrats can just drag things out and make it painful. I hope they don't. I actually pulled Dick Durbin aside. Durbin is retiring, and I mentioned I always thought this was going to end with retiring Democrats voting to open the government. Durbin did so. Now, look he's the number two in leadership among the Democrats. He's Chuck Schumer's right hand buddy's retiring. I told Dick tonight, I said, look, we've got sixty now. It sure would be nice if like you guys, didn't drag this out unnecessarily till Friday, and just the identical outcome will happen, and it just is more painful for everybody. I think there are a lot of Democrats who feel that way. It's why I think we'll end Tuesday or Wednesday.
Speaker 4: But who the heck knows.
Speaker 3: Now, there's another element of this deal that's getting some attention online, which is a commitment to reverse the riffs, the reductions and forces that happened during the shutdown. And there's some folks online saying, you guys, cave, this is terrible. That was was an off that President Trump made, I think like two weeks ago to the Democrats. That has been on the table for them a long long time, and the White House made the decision, Okay, if you guys open the government, we agree, we'll offer you that will reverse those rifts. So that was in the deal, but it was a deal that came from the White House that we just agreed. Okay, if that's if those are the terms that the President wants to cut, we'll we'll back up the president.
Speaker 2: So you go into Monday, you're going to have more meetings throughout the day, or explain to me Monday what that looks like.
Speaker 3: We're anticipating the first vote probably around noon. And as I said that, there could be we could have done it all tonight if the Democrats had agreed to In the Senate, you can do anything by unanimous consent, and so if they wanted to open the government tonight. They could have just consented to do one vote and then do the other one next to the other one next, the other one next, and we'd be done.
Speaker 2: Like you can do that, you know, literally, instead of us recording right now, you guys could actually be voting and this could have all been Monday morning. The government is open for business. All the fa guys are back to normal, everybody's getting paid, and they're like, now, SCREWT, will just wait a few more days. So there's the flying home, right, I mean, you're not flying home tonight, are you.
Speaker 4: Nope?
Speaker 3: No, I'm in DC. I didn't see my family this weekend. I would have loved to have seen my kids. I didn't. I've spent most of the time just sitting here waiting for Democrats to finally agree to cut a deal. But it was striking. We could have done it tonight. But to do that you need unanimous consent. That means you don't need sixty you need one hundred. That means one person can object and say no, drag it out. I want to burn more time. I want to burn more time. And you have people like Bernie Sanders, you have all the Democrats who are running for president that want to want a spectacle, and so that if they really decide to be just just fully obstructionist, they could drag it as late as Friday.
Speaker 1: All right.
Speaker 2: So one other question is this is unfolding when the government opens back up, and let's just use a hypothetical of Wednesday, all right, Wednesday the government opens up, does that mean that instantly the system is going to go back to normal. I'm saying this to people traveling. Yeah, you and I've traveled a lot. We've started to see the breakdown of of air traffic control and of having to cancel flights. I've witnessed it traveling internationally and domestically over the last couple of days. You've done it as well. And so when it opens back up, is that like an instant fix or is that going to take a couple of days to cycle through the system as well? What does travel look like Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday.
Speaker 3: Look at least travel Monday and Monday and Tuesday, I would expect still really significant delays and really significant cancelations. The reason for those delays and those cancelations. We have roughly fifty thousand TSA agents all across the country.
Speaker 4: Many of them are going into work. None of them are being paid.
Speaker 3: They all missed their last paycheck, didn't get their last paycheck. We have roughly fourteen thousand air traffic controllers. Many of them are going into work, none of them are getting paid. They all missed their last paycheck. Listen if you're a TSA agent, if you're an air traffic controller, typical TSA agent or air traffic controller doesn't have a deep reservoir of savings. I mean, they're under real stress right now. How do I pay my mortgage, how do I pay my rent? How do I pay my bills? And so what is happening with both TSA agents and controllers. They're calling in sick, they're just not showing up, say summer, coming into work. The problem is in New York City on Halloween Day, roughly eighty percent of the controllers called in sick and didn't show up to work. That's Chuck Schumer's hometown, by the way. And so we're seeing with TSA. You had Monday a week ago, the lines in the Houston Bush Airport were two and a half to three hours line long to get through security because they were so short staffed on TSA agents, they didn't have enough to move people through security. So even if the government opens up tomorrow, you're dealing with the independent decisions of fifty thousand TSA agents and fourteen thousand controllers when they come back to work. And the reason that the FAA has mandated ten percent of flights be canceled is they're looking at the data and seeing that these short staffed air traffic controllers there's an increased risk to safety. So they're saying, all right, if we don't have full staffing, we got to reduce the number of flights. So in a week, do I expect things to go back to normal? Yes, a week after things open up, but it could easily take several days for people to say, Okay, I'm going to come back into work now. That doesn't happen automatically just by flipping a switch.
Speaker 2: So what you're basically telling me is this week, when I'm flying, and when you're flying, and so many others that listen to this show flying, we're gonna be dealing with this type of chaos because the Democrats decided not to do their job, even while doing their job on Sunday night, Right now, yes.
Speaker 3: And by the way, they could have agreed to open it all up tonight, that they could have given consent, said okay, you've got a deal, let's move ahead. And it's now just the obstructionist who you know, if your flight is canceled tomorrow, you can thank Chuck Schumer and every Democrat senator running for president who's trying to show off to the crazy left. But we will get it open now, but it will take It'll take a few more days at a minimum.
Speaker 1: All right.
Speaker 2: So let's move to another issue in this shutdown, and there's been some confusion over it. There's been a lot of fighting over it. It deals with Obamacare. Also knows the Affordable Care Act. Democrats decided, and this is some of the history that I do think we need to now explain because there's been so much of a political football on this one. That they purposely designed for the subsidies which make Obamacare seem cheaper than it is, even though your tax dollars are paying for the subsidies to subsidize people's health insurance. They designed it purposely to expire now, and that was something that was done by design. I'm assuming for this type of fight is am I wrong and explain what's happening with Obamacare now and moving forward.
Speaker 3: Well, look, the other thing Democrats talked about and they claimed they were fighting the shutdown for, was to extend Obamacare.
Speaker 4: And in particular during.
Speaker 3: COVID, when the Democrats had control of the House and the Senate. In the White House, they passed massive subsidies that went straight to giant insurance companies, went to the didn't go to the people, didn't go to you, but went to insurance companies, roughly fifty billion dollars worth of subsidies, just huge corporate welfare. And that corporate welfare to the insurance companies expires the end of December. And so part of this deal is Republicans agreed we will have a vote on those subsidies the first week of December. Now, by the way, Republicans offered them that we would schedule that vote forty days ago, so they've had that on the table for forty days. But we said at the beginning, sure, we'll give you a vote. They're going to lose that vote. They know they're going to lose that vote, but we said, we'll give you that vote.
Speaker 4: And so we agreed to have that vote. Now what's the answer?
Speaker 3: And this is where I want to take folks a little bit behind the scenes to some of the sausage making.
Speaker 4: So most of the Senate was in DC all weekend.
Speaker 3: We'd all planned to be back home and had many people had fundraisers at political events or family events, and we missed most of them just staying here. So Friday night I invited a dozen senators out to dinner, and so we went to a local restaurant and got a room together and had a great dinner. And we're laughing and talking and strategizing and saying, look are the Democrats going to move? So in that dinner, we decided to call President Trump. So we called President Trump, got him on the cell phone, and the president he was in a good mood, but he was he was expressing his views emphatically as he always does.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And by the way, for people I've ever done a phone call, like if you've never gotten to do this, he does not ever hold back when you're talking about the phone. I'm not a single phone call. You've had a lot more than I have. But when I've had phone calls with him, whether it was in sixteen to twenty or now forward like he does not hold back at all. When you're on the cell phone on speakerphone as.
Speaker 4: Well, he does not.
Speaker 3: So one of the things we asked of him Friday night, we said, listen, in this battle with the Democrats over Obamacare, Obamacare's failing. It's a bad program. And if you go back, go back to twenty thirteen. Twenty thirteen, when I did a filibuster against Obamacare, I said, at the time, if you remember, you remember, Barack Obama promised the American people Obamacare would would cut the average families premiums by twenty five year.
Speaker 4: Ye, that was a lie, And in.
Speaker 3: Fact they skyrocketed at the time, five thousand a year. They've skyrocketed a lot more than that. Even the Washington Post has now admitted the editorial page the Affordable Care Act, which is the misleading name of Obamacare, did not make healthcare more affordable. It caused premiums to skyrocket. So when we had Trump on the phone, we said, look, it would really help if you made the case that what Democrats are fighting for is these massive multi billion dollar corporate welfare payoffs to the health insurance companies. Instead of empowering consumers, and look, we want a lower prices. And so we said, in particular, it would really help if you would send a truth and Trump said, great, come up with something. And so I will tell you what the President sent. I had a lot of input in this, and here's what he put out. President Trump said, Democrats claimed to be working for quote the little guy driving down your health insurance. But the and the rest of this is in all caps. Obamacare scam goes straight to their best friends in the insurance industry. They are making a killing while health coverage only gets worse. If Democrats get their way again, they're in for another huge payday at the expense of the American people.
Speaker 4: No deal. In all caps.
Speaker 3: Republicans should give money directly to your personal health savings accounts all in caps that I expanded in our great, big, beautiful bill. Thank you for your attention to this matter. Now, this is really important because if you want a really strong, principled conservative reform to health insurance, expanding health savings accounts so that you give you the consumer, you the patient, more control and instead of sending money to the insurance companies, send it straight to people's health savings accounts, so you can spend it on premiums.
Speaker 4: You can spend it on deductibles.
Speaker 3: You can spend it on healthcare that expands competition and empowers patients that at lowers prices. The President leaning in with this tweet really helps in this political battle we'll have over the next six weeks because the outcome he's advocating for is something I've advocated for a long time, and that was a direct result of that dinner on Friday night where we got him on the phone.
Speaker 2: You know, there's one interesting thing that's coming out this first year of Trump being back in office. It is really empowering the American people, whether it is the accounts you've talked about, whether it's the Trump accounts that are going to be coming in this next year that you guys pass to give kids the opportunity to save money and to be able to grow accounts and to build wealth over their lifetime. Like, there is a lot of personal growth and personal excitement that it's Trump is get the government out of your life.
Speaker 1: You can do better without it. We want to help you do that. And then the.
Speaker 2: Democrats like no, no, no, no, no, Mandani's and others usually have no control of your life. We want to run the whole damn show from birth to death. Just trust the US government to be your daddy or your mommy, are both. And that's exactly the difference between the Republicans and Democrats right now.
Speaker 3: Look at it's a fundamental divide. As you noted, we passed the Trump accounts. As you know well, I wrote that legislation. This has been a major theme that I've been fighting for since the first day I got elected to the Senate. And whether you're talking about hell savings accounts, whether you're talking about Trump accounts that are essentially four A one CA savings accounts for kids, or whether you're talking about school choice and getting tax credits, the unifying theme of all of those is individual choice, empowering you the individual rather than government competition and and giving you control. That is the fundamental difference between left and right. And President Trump has been a great partner in this, and I'll tell you as a part of his tweet, he sent out a chart, a chart which which I had sent him, but I want you to see the chart. We're going to put it up on YouTube for anyone that's watching on YouTube. But it goes through the major healthcare companies their stock performance since Obamacare pass I'm going to walk through them.
Speaker 4: Etna.
Speaker 3: Obamacare March twenty ten is when it passed. Etna's stock stock price was thirty dollars and fifty cents. Today it's two hundred and twelve dollars, so it's increased five hundred and ninety five percent. Since Obamacare passed. Senteen Its stock has increased six hundred and four percent, Molina its stock has increased eight hundred and fifty nine percent, Humana Its stock has increased four hundred and ninety percent. Ends Anthem Elevance Health Its stock has increased four hundred and fourteen percent, Signa Its stock has increased eight eight hundred and twenty two percent, and United Health Group. When Obamacare passed, United health stock was twenty five dollars and sixty six cents. Today November twenty twenty five, it is three hundred and twenty seven dollars and seventy four cents. That is at one thousand, one hundred and seventy seven percent increase.
Speaker 4: That's what Obamacare did.
Speaker 3: It massively increased the profits of the health insurance companies. By the way, those health insurance companies overwhelmingly give to Democrats. They give to Chuck Schumer, they give to Keing, Jeffries and the Democrats because they recognize when Democrats are in power, their profits go through the roof and the American people's premium skyrocket. What are the Democrats say they wanted to do in this shutdown? Give fifty billion dollars to those same health insurance companies who profits have skyrocket. And it's why with the pre residents said is so important. No, we're not going to give money to health insurance companies. Instead, we're going to expand health savings accounts so you, the individual has control over your own healthcare.
Speaker 2: For the last several weeks, you've heard me talk with Josherrard at Berna and tell stories about people just like you and I and how they've used their burn A launcher protect themselves and their families. Now, if you don't know what a burna is, it is a handheld pistol that fires both kinetic rounds and chemical irritants to separate you from an attacker.
Speaker 1: And it's truly amazing. Now Josh is back today to.
Speaker 2: Share a story about a store owner and how a Berner launcher could have really come in handy.
Speaker 5: Yes, So in Seattle, the owner of local small business decided to have a sidewalk sale to engage more directly with her community. Well, today was going great when a male walking down the middle of the street could be seen yelling, streaming, and hitting passing cars. This man was clearly suffering from an acute mental episode when he then approached the store owner began threatening her. After several failed attempts at escalating the situation, the woman ultimately tried to go back into the store to try to get to safety, and it was then that the deranged man yelled that he was going to gouge out her eyes and then grabbed her, slammed her to the ground, and begin choking her. It was only due to several good Samaritans that jumped in to pull him off of her that probably saved your life.
Speaker 2: You know, this is a growing trend. Unfortunately, mental health is a serious issue and in areas where the larger homeless populations, these individuals affected by this can really get violent. Could BURNI still be effective in this case?
Speaker 5: Absolutely? You know, mental health is striking populations all over America, and those with mental health issues that also have substance of abuse issues are over eleven hundred times more likely to commit violent crime. And the problem is you never know when that may happen. Berna, especially used with our chemical agent projectiles, will incapacitate even those suffering from those acute mental episodes. So Burne is a great tool to use when you absolutely have no idea that you may need it.
Speaker 2: If you want to find out more about burna can help you or your family members. It's a great gift for the holidays coming for someone you want to help protect. Go to Burna by RNA dot com. That's Burnaby RNA dot com, burna dot com. Senator, I also want to get a little preview of something that you're working on. We're going to do a more expansive show on this, but it's important that people know that even while the government has been shut down, you have been working very hard on other things. One of those things is you've now introduced the Quote Deporting Fraudsters Act of twenty twenty five, and it deals with snap and public benefits abuses that is costing the American people millions and millions of dollars. Give us a little preview of this so people know what's been going on.
Speaker 4: Look, this is a very simple bill.
Speaker 3: It is an astonishing fact that right now welfare fraud, fraudulently taking government assistance benefits is not a deportable effe events under the immigration laws. This law will change that and make it a deportable offense. Let me give you some basic statistics. Forty eight percent of households headed by illegal immigrants received food related welfare benefits forty eight percent nearly half specifically SNAP. A CIS analysis found that thirty one percent of illegal alien households with children draw SNAP benefits. One in five households getting WICIC Women's Infants and Children or SNAP is headed by a non citizen, and ninety six percent of the children in those households are US but born, showing how illegal aliens exploit child based eligibility to access benefits indirectly.
Speaker 4: The US Department of Agriculture reports.
Speaker 3: One point seventy six million non citizens on SNAP in twenty twenty three. That is roughly three hundred and twelve million dollars in ten pair funds. In twenty twelve or not twenty twelve, rather twenty twenty two, it was one point five million recipients that cost two hundred and twenty two million.
Speaker 4: Fraud is rampant.
Speaker 3: For example, in twenty twenty four, one hundred and twenty six point eight million dollars was stolen from EBT cards. In Texas, three point seven million people, about eleven percent of the state relies on SNAP. Every stolen or unlawfully claimed dollar robs a citizen family in genuine need. And according to the CBO, about two hundred thousand illegal aliens from the surge of alien asylum seekers from twenty twenty three to twenty twenty four already received SNAP, growing to eight hundred thousand by twenty thirty four, assuming no deportations. A ten year cost. You said this cost millions. Yeah, the ten year cost is fifteen billion dollars. And so this bill is to target that and say, if you're here illegally, you do not have any entitlement to public welfare. And if you access fraudulently access public welfare, that is yet another ground to deport you.
Speaker 1: Now, Chuck Schumer is a co sponsor this bill.
Speaker 3: Right, no, And I feel confident that Schumer is not just to know he's a hell no, because today's Democrat party, it is all for giant health insurance corporations. It is all for illegal immigrants, it is all for violent criminals, it is all for men and women's sports. It's all for everyone except the average American citizen trying to work hard and provide for his or her family.
Speaker 4: And that's exactly backwards.
Speaker 1: It's incredible.
Speaker 2: Well, as we're doing the show right now at ten forty at night on Sunday evening, the government's still shut down, you're still being held hostage. We're moving in the right direction. Democrats could drag this out even till Friday, just to hurt you. If you're traveling this week, you're not alone, Sender Kruz and I are traveling with you.
Speaker 1: It's gonna suck. That's just the best way I can describe it.
Speaker 2: But at least hopefully will be safe while doing it Center and I will see you back here when the government hopefully reopens. So we'll be doing a show on Wednesday, So hit that subscriber auto download button and grab my podcast, the Ben Ferguson Podcasts on those in between days. I will keep you up to date with whatever is happening. I can promise you that, and we'll see you back here.
Speaker 1: In a couple of days