Speaker 1: And I invited you here. I thought I made myself perfectly clear. When you're a guest to my home, you gotta come to me empty. And I said, no guests, you're our presences. Presents enough.
Speaker 2: I already had too much stuff, So how do you dare to surbey me?
Speaker 3: Welcome to I said, no gifts. I'm Richard Wineger. We are here in the studio. I'm in the throes of jet I know you know last week's episode I complained about jet lag, but that was actually recorded yesterday. Does this make sense? So we've recorded two in a row. I hate to shatter the illusion that the podcast isn't coming to you live, but there's I don't even know what I'm saying. I slept for an hour last night, and I feel insane. I'm kicking things over. I just kicked something over. You can't see that. No one can see that except for me. But I wanted to drag you through all of this. What's good? What's happening. I've got a new parking lot at the studio. They've really done the works with this thing. All the bells and whistles, beautiful new paint job. I don't know if they'd put new asphalt or not, but it smells like new asphalt, and so it was exciting to park and get out of my car. I was found coffee this morning. I thought I saw a mildly famous person that I think it was just some loser. So it wasn't even a famous person, but if it was, I would say who I thought it was. But then what if it was her and I just thought she was a loser. I'm so sorry. I don't know what's wrong with me. We should get into the episode. I love today's guest. It's Tim Kalpaca's Tim. Welcome to I said, no gifts.
Speaker 4: Thank you, thanks for having me. And I did clock the new asphalt in park?
Speaker 3: Did you smell it?
Speaker 4: I like, I've never been here before. But I pulled in. I was like, well, well, well, my.
Speaker 3: God, slipping and sliding on that thing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I know, my god, splashing all over the place, but I did. It's so funny, like subconsciously was just like, it's really nice to be in a brand new parking lot.
Speaker 3: There is something nice about it's just smooth. You know, you're not going to be tripping, You're not gonna be driving through any potholes. It just feels Chris, And yesterday that wasn't the case. I had to park on the street, and everybody felt how mad I.
Speaker 4: Was about that. Yeah, the street, which is actually like a closer walk into the studio because the door's right there.
Speaker 3: But it was actually probably an easier way to park altogether. But you know, the principle of it was imperial.
Speaker 4: You host the show, I host the show. I was surprised that there isn't a name plate back there. You know, this is a free for all. My god, it's a mess.
Speaker 3: It's complete chaos. I feel like I'm just some random employee. It's disgusting. What am I a production assist?
Speaker 4: Awful? I'm on the mic.
Speaker 3: Here I should be, you know, I should know exactly where I'm parking.
Speaker 4: Were you ever a production assistant?
Speaker 3: It was for a really long time, for longer than I should have been.
Speaker 4: Well, I was. I was four years at one place.
Speaker 3: Four years as well.
Speaker 4: No. Yes, mine was a Gracie Films, which does the Simpsons. So I was like James L. Brooks's PA.
Speaker 3: Wow, that's kind of an impressive PA position.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but you're supposed to do it for like one year and then become a second assistant, and then first assistant, and then you know, like be a producer.
Speaker 3: Right, it feels like you're like a really delayed puberty or something where you're just like, oh, everybody else got out of it.
Speaker 4: And they started toward the end they hinted to me like, if you're not getting promoted, you're kind of supposed to quit, you know. So they're like, Timmy kind of been here a long time, what do you want to do career wise? It's like, pa, I guess what was holding you back? Well, it was a really easy job, and I loved I was doing like UCB every night with my sketch group of birthday boys, So I kind of wanted to just do nothing all day and then go to UCB. So I wasn't putting in the type of effort that gets you promoted. But I certainly wasn't gonna leave because I had such an easy job. So I posted up for four years. But I remember like in the end of the four years, I was like, I've been here as long as I was in college.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it starts to get to a really bad feeling. I mean I got I got to the point where I was like, oh, I was literally looking up jobs in Salt Lake City again. I was like, oh, I guess I just I failed. I have to go home right now. I did my time, but I think part of it was I didn't within the place I was. I did not want to be promoted because I felt like it would become even more of a prison, and so I just thought, well, I just get to be online all days, just on the internet, screwing around and like the first hour of the day's work and then it's just whatever I want for the next seven hours. Why wouldn't I just keep doing this horrible thing?
Speaker 4: And it's weird then when you don't have that job anymore and it's like the middle of a weekday and you're not working, but you're just scrolling the internet as well, and you're like, oh, I used to get paid to this and get like free lunch from tender Greens.
Speaker 3: Yes, oh, tender Greens. That's a business I'd like to run out of town.
Speaker 4: I feel like I liked it when it was free for lunch, but I could never pay for it. That like Sweet Green, Mendosino Farms, all the salad places in LA they just taste like office food that should be free, so I would never be able to pay money for those Yeah, you cut.
Speaker 3: When I'm at one of those places, now I feel like, oh, I'm being ripped off. I'm like, what, this feels unnatural that I'm giving them my money.
Speaker 4: You know, I'm used to getting this for free. Is there something we could work out? Does James Oldbrooks know about this?
Speaker 3: Yeah? I wonder. I don't know how I would feel about any of those places if I hadn't worked in an office that had just given it to me prior to it, right, I mean I do. I can speak to Mendocino. I remember being there when they first opened, before it became an office food, and I remember thinking this is good. But now it tastes like food stuff, you know, like it feels like the idea of food.
Speaker 4: Right, And especially because they're trying to lean into a farm to table vibe, that makes it even worse because because I don't believe, well, I've never been in Mendocino to look at their farms, so I don't know. But I mean, it's the same thing with Lacroix. I can't buy Lacroix.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, can you imagine?
Speaker 4: Now? I buy Perier Laurente.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, he's at work.
Speaker 4: It's like I'll have a thousand Lacroix and won't appreciate them whatsoever.
Speaker 3: Actually I will now. I feel like kind of a fraud because I do buy Lacroix now, but that's only because we record this show sometimes in my backyard.
Speaker 4: I was hoping for a backyard.
Speaker 3: Why didn't you say something.
Speaker 4: I just didn't have the balls. I was just stewing for yourself. I'll be honest. I didn't look until I was like leaving home today. I looked at the email and put in the address, and I was like, oh, this is not okay. What are we doing on a Lisha's.
Speaker 3: There's some sort of bird noise we can play over the headphones or a helicopter. Children screaming, school bells, dump trucks, home, neighbor's fighting, cats, meowing. I think those are the typical sounds we hear.
Speaker 4: In the back of Yeah, loud.
Speaker 3: Outside of the screaming, we'll put in post. I want to hear all of those at once, just alarming sounds. Although I had a friend messaged me last night at the wonderful Katie Fishal to let me know that she started listening to the podcast to fall asleep, but she said it's because she's Uh, there's like a sweet spot of podcasts she can listen to where she's engaged enough, but they don't make alarming noises. But if we could get some alarming noises for her now, just to wake her up in the middle of the night to teach her a lesson, that would be important.
Speaker 4: Have you listened to any of the calm like the it's podcasts that put you to sleep on purpose. No, they're like short stories that are rambly and repetitive. Oh that sounds great. Yeah, it's like I did. I did a free trial and it worked, and then I was like, I don't know if we're gonna.
Speaker 3: It's a pay thing.
Speaker 4: I'm not doing that.
Speaker 3: I can find plenty of boring podcasts to listen to.
Speaker 4: Oh you know, it was a good pay thing. I another free trial that I decided recently. There is like a romance like like erotica romance podcast work. I'm forgetting what it's called, but it's like it's it's like for women, and it's like first person guys talking to you, like, hmm, I just bought this tuxedo. It's nice to see you at this gala. Would you like to step aside into a side room? And like I was just I was curious, like what are cause it's it's not like super graphic, but it captures the imagination that it's like a guy. The one I listened to that the character was an art thief. He is, so he's like wooing a lady but then also stealing art. But I guess that's the ultimate fantasy. He's a gentleman thief. Yeah, exactly, what's more like? And like he has good taste and art, you know, he's a part of like society.
Speaker 3: Yeah wow, but he's still a rogue.
Speaker 4: He's the bad boy of the art scene.
Speaker 3: That's a I mean, this is I feel like there's a good knockoff podcast of that called dream Date that's like puts you to sleep, but it's also your dream date.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and then you have a wet dream like.
Speaker 3: No, wow, I'd like to listen to that. That sounds engaging.
Speaker 4: I'll send it to you. And I mean, if that free trial had not ended, I would be I would be all over it. It was very good.
Speaker 3: This is a podcast I think I don't I'm bringing this up in comparison to that. But this podcast that I love called Rumble Strip, which this woman does out of Vermont, and she just talks to local Vermont residents and that's a very good, good one to fall asleep to, wow, because it's pleasant.
Speaker 4: She's just talking to people in a quiet voice.
Speaker 3: And I don't even know why I bring that up, probably because I'm so out of my mind.
Speaker 4: Well, it is it intentionally? Like does she know she's making just a soothing thing or is it supposed to be? Like I'm a local Vermont and these are the issues.
Speaker 3: I think it's both. I think she knows that. It's like I think when you call a thing rumble strip, isn't a rumble strip but the resign to wake you up up?
Speaker 4: Yeah? So are there loud sounds?
Speaker 3: Eventually she just has like an airhorn in the middle of wake up. No, that's a good question. But uh, I again, I don't know why I bring it up. And that's fine.
Speaker 4: I'm trying to find the logic what I'm here to promote projects.
Speaker 3: I'm trying to think of any recent pre trials that I've ripped off, you know, because I never sign up for a thing knowing that I'm actually going to pay for it. Occasionally they'll get me and then I'll complain and get my money back. I recently lied to a coffee service because I had forgotten to cancel it and then didn't and they charged me, and so I kind of blamed them how I emailed them and said, I thought I had canceled this and I'm going to be out of town.
Speaker 4: And that worked. They're like, oh, you thought that. We realized you had thought that.
Speaker 3: I couldn't believe that it had worked.
Speaker 5: Wow.
Speaker 3: It felt very like twenty fifteen customer service, when a lot of these online companies really would do whatever you wanted them to. And now I feel like they've kind of locked things up where you can't complain. I'll complain to people now and they'll be like, tough luck. I had an Uber ride like a couple of months ago where I felt legitimately in danger and I complained to them and they gave me nothing.
Speaker 4: What was the legitimate danger?
Speaker 3: The guy was out of his mind. She was screaming at everybody we had. He took only surface streets back from Lax. He was cutting through parking lots. He was just doing a lot of weird stuff where I was like, this doesn't seem normal, and the app kept trying to get him back on track, and.
Speaker 4: He's like, I know better than the app.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yes, and he absolutely didn't. It probably took at least fifty percent extra time to get back to my home.
Speaker 4: And so you complained and I just like, thank you for your feedback. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Sorry, it never.
Speaker 4: Crosses my mind to even try. I was with friends leaving I saw a movie at the Americana at the mall recently and was like leaving the parking structure and we had forgot our ticket for validation right, and my friend's girlfriend was like, oh, watch this and she said like to the voice, like you hit the button and she was like, I'm so sorry. I lost my purse and I don't have the ticket, and I know you can't let me go, but could you please and like put on a whole show. And then there's a long silence and the guy goes, can offer you a one time courtesy? Yeah, and I wonder how many one time courtesy exits he's had given out that day, but he just let us out. The arm went up and we left for free entirely.
Speaker 3: Wow. One how does he track one time. Do you take her information?
Speaker 4: No, not at all, but it would be amazing if he was like tracking very closely. But now I think if you're just she was kind of I don't know if you could see us or was just listening, but she was kind of starting to sound like she was gonna cry.
Speaker 3: Oh see, this was exactly That's exactly where my mind went. I would start with crying.
Speaker 4: I would shop excuse me where now, let me get to the matter at hand.
Speaker 3: I lost my being. Key. Wow, that's a dangerous behavior. Parking in the pay parking lot at that mall. I park in the free one all the time.
Speaker 4: Right, you mean like over at the at the galleria. That's what I used to do in the classic. Oh, there's there's free.
Speaker 3: Free one right next to the pay one by the in and out. And I know the listener loves this.
Speaker 4: They have not heard enough about Losi.
Speaker 3: But this is I want to I do want to really describe this situation. There's the pay parking lot owned by local villain Rick Cruse. Next door, there's an in and out. Do you know this in and out? The parking lot attached to that is technically part of the Galleria and it's attached to Bloomingdale's. All of this, that's all free parking.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 3: And it's truly right next door.
Speaker 4: So when I'm parking for free at Target, this is the same like ownership, same free parking situation, just a.
Speaker 3: Different one mister Galleria's lot for whatever reason, because that mall is attached across the street.
Speaker 4: Wow. People love this.
Speaker 3: I love this. That technically is the kind of its own little sovereign nation.
Speaker 4: Damn.
Speaker 3: So that's a little tip that I learned recently because I had been walking all the way from the Target. But if you see a late movie, then you have to walk outside the entire time. In the tough streets of Glendale, I'm always scared something's gonna happen to me. But now I'm in total protection, uh and free and I don't have to worry about getting my ticket validated, which also it's not free parking. And again people love ticket talk. But that parking lot, even with a validation, I think, is five dollars, which I think is ridiculous.
Speaker 4: I know, and I'll say this the one and this is relatable to people all across the world in all kinds of parking lots. The one thing that I think when I'm going into a structure is like, I'm gonna have to pay. This is gonna suck, but I'm gonna go to the tippy top and I'm gonna get a beautiful view. And I'm like, if I'll go to the top of any structure and it's like I'm on the rooftop and I'm like, this would be nice. After the movie, I'll come back up here and it'll be beautiful. But the one at the Americana has been closed.
Speaker 3: Oh you're kidding.
Speaker 4: So I've been driving up. I keep forgetting and I'll drive up and that's all of me to like the second to the top. So it's just like the long yeah, and I'm the most amount of driving to get up there, and then I'm just in the old stuff up there.
Speaker 3: What's the logic behind that?
Speaker 4: I don't know. I don't know what's going on on that rooftop.
Speaker 3: Wow, that's a real shape. They've got something happening up there. Are probably satellite I was.
Speaker 4: Hoping you would know because like I always parking.
Speaker 3: You know, a gorgeous rooftop parking in Los Angeles. I think it's is underrated. As the home depot in Hollywood. Great date.
Speaker 4: I've looked at the structure. I've part I've been able to find parking on the normal lot right in front of the building.
Speaker 3: No no, no, no, take take yourself up to the top of that trait yourself. They've got an elevator. You get a view of Hollywood. I mean to be on top of a home depot.
Speaker 4: I went when I first moved to LA I went to that home depot and I was like fresh out of college. So me and my friends were kind of like getting drunk and barfing all the time that era. So we were we like I think we maybe went to the Dresden because we trying to be like the Swingers guys. Oh god, and I got drunk. And then the next day we're moving. We had rented a U haul and we were moving to uh like uh like move into our house. That's but I'm hungover. So we're going to home depot to get some like move in type of stuff and uh, you know how there's there's like day laborer guys hang around there wanting to hire them. So I was walking in. I got kind of swarm by those guys like you do, and because they wanted me to hire them, and I puked in front of so I had. I had like twelve guys gather around me, like, hey, would you like help today with your move? And then I barfed into a garbage can and they all they all scattered at this young girl, and uh, it was I want to be like, you know, in general, I'm a good employer. Maybe today's just not my day.
Speaker 3: The idea of being hungover while moving makes you want to kill my It was the word.
Speaker 4: I mean, there's like pictures of me like just a sleep in the back of a giant U haul. I was no help. I was moving into a bro house with like five guys too, so they were they were used to and they just carted me around.
Speaker 3: That's the real rock and roll movers.
Speaker 4: That's some of those people are calling. I've hired rock and roll movers before. They're good. What are they? It's a moving company based in like Echo Park, I think, and they employ like guys in.
Speaker 3: Bands and rock and rollers.
Speaker 4: So yeah, so what's on the vent.
Speaker 3: It's like there's a skull and cross classic rock and roll.
Speaker 4: So I've hired them, not in a long time, but it used to be like really cheap, like one hundred and fifty dollars ten years ago. But two dudes show up and they are like metal heads with long hair, stoned out of their minds. And it's great. Like you hang out with these funny dudes all day and they're just giggling while they carry your couch.
Speaker 3: That's great. They're kind of I wonder if there are a lot of roadies in that business. Like when you're off tour, you're used to moving things, right.
Speaker 4: That's probably what their best at. You just be like, this couch is like an amp, and yeah, I can get get my head behind that.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I wonder if they've gotten to like a corporate level of like cafe at this point, right, it feels like a crossover that's waiting to happen.
Speaker 4: You call rock and roll Movers and you're like, oh my god, Rod Stewart showed up. This is unbelievable.
Speaker 3: I broke Rod Stewart's back. Oh boy, Well, what else? You know, there's something else I'd like to talk about. I actually just want to dive into this. Usually I want to avoid the subject, but today I'm in the mood. The podcast is called I Said No Gifts to him, right. I thought Tim will come by, We'll have a great conversation. I adore him. I think he's so funny. What could possibly go wrong? I imagine you've got at least one email about this podcast. You mentioned knowing about the Backyard, so you have some familiarity with the podcast. So it was a little bit shocked, right when you showed up with a gift back.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So I mean I did. I'm familiar with the show, and I really intended to not bring gifts, but I kind of the think about this gift is really thoughtful, and so I you know, like I follow you on Instagram and I'm familiar with you with your you and your lifestyle and stuff. And then this kind of hit me, and I was like, oh, I know, I'm violating the one rule, right, but it's maybe if it's going to be really useful in Bridgers life, maybe it's going to kind of make a difference. Uh, maybe you would make an exception for me.
Speaker 3: Okay, so you just you thought deeply about Oh yeah, I.
Speaker 4: Was lost in thought. I went for a walk around my neighborhood just kind of like looking at the sky. I was thinking about this danger I called you know, I I checked in with my local priest and I was a father. I mean, I'm in a time of great turmoil. Can you help me?
Speaker 3: Okay? Well, then totally forgiven.
Speaker 4: Thank you.
Speaker 3: I'm giving you a huge pass. Well should I open it?
Speaker 4: I'm talking to the mic from about six feet dollars? Should I open it? Here on the podcast? I think you should. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Uh, look at that gift rapp.
Speaker 4: Isn't that beautiful? It's a gorgeous bag. Where did this come from? This is the Albertons. I love this.
Speaker 3: Albertson's kind of a rock and No, there's a rock and roll Ralphs.
Speaker 4: This is more of a TV writer album.
Speaker 3: This is Hollywood Albertson.
Speaker 4: Yes, this is uh yeah, Los Felis.
Speaker 3: They used to have a The bathroom was kind of dedicated to the movies. I don't know if you've ever been in that bathroom.
Speaker 4: I've been in that bathroom many times.
Speaker 3: It's been renovated, I believe, but there was a point when there was like, it's like Hollywood movies.
Speaker 4: That's that is glamorous. I'm hoping that I could. I'm gonna bring a headshot and sign it and see.
Speaker 3: If they'll put it on an, that's a great idea.
Speaker 4: You know what's funny about that bathroom is the code like I used to know it, and then they changed in and then so I asked like a stock boy, like hey, what's good for the bathroom? And he goes five to four three two one instead of just five four three two one. So I was like, thank you, And I was like, does he not know that those are just the consect you know, He's like, you say, oh, just five for three two one. But then I was like, that was just a funny way to say it. And then like two weeks later, I was there shopping and I overheard somebody else ask the same guy and he said five four three two one. So I really I think he doesn't know that those numbers are easy to remember, abe CD right, So I know this is twisted and I want to write it down. That is a very funny way. It's so weird, Like I did want to ask him. Maybe I'll ask him like do you know do you know what like if I write him down in one chunk five for three two one, Like I'm like, what are these numbers have in common? Like like where might you encountered these in nature? Yeah? I can crack this.
Speaker 3: Okay, Well, for the listener that's not watching the video, it's a floral bag be jeweled. I mean, it's just as beautiful as possible.
Speaker 4: I love it.
Speaker 3: And it's got the tissue paper the man.
Speaker 4: Yeah, purfle purple shimmering. Mm hmm. Oh, I'm excited for you to get this gift. Okay, I'm gonna pull it out now.
Speaker 3: It's a dust pan, the Libman brand whisk Broom with dust pan.
Speaker 4: So I mentioned your Instagram you have a tendency to post like pictures of piles of garbage you've encountered on the street. Sure, go on, and I'm an Angelino, I live in this town. That I was thinking that could be beneficial to all of us that you know, it's a very funny bit that you're doing. Sure, but like maybe if you were to help kind of clean up some of those messes, if you had this in the back of your car and the brand name. I don't know, I don't know your politics, but I took a swing and I think that Libman does maybe describe describe me?
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, that's my Twitter account, right.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you're mixing it up on Blue Sky. So yeah, when I saw that, I was like, well, this is kind of perfect.
Speaker 3: Where did you buy this? Was this inn Alberson's.
Speaker 4: Purchase, believe it or not. This was two aisles over.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, which came first? The bag or the dust pan?
Speaker 4: Dustpan first? And then I was nervous going to the you know, the wrapping paper aisle, like how am I going to get this thing? Is there going to be a big enough? Oh yeah? Full of.
Speaker 3: And it kind of works out perfectly. I don't think. Actually, I do have a dustpan at home, so I'll be able to keep that at home and I can put this in my car the car on This becomes like this is one of those things where I become the local character where people are like, that's the guy who sweeps up messes on the street.
Speaker 4: People would like that. This would be a really good thing. It's like a local community guy, especially because you're a backyard.
Speaker 3: Guy, right right, I'm keeping things clean. But where do I take the trash from? I'm that's I'm parking, I'm getting the trash. I guess I'm looking for garbage cans. And this is a big complaint I have about nearly every city in the world, and this must be something. There must be some logic behind this, not there aren't a lot of garbage cans, yeah, to just throw away your trash.
Speaker 4: Right, and that they are piled up with stuff that's like clearly from one business that's nearby a lot of the time. But then that business is not in charge of emptying it. It's like the city's problem, right, and there's just there's nothing, there's nowhere to go with it.
Speaker 3: To me, it feels like some they're a simple solution, But then I'm also thinking I was in Japan last week and there are no garbage cans anywhere, and it's just up to people to hold onto their garbage until they find a garbage can, essentially.
Speaker 4: And do people do it?
Speaker 3: Yes, it's I mean, it's so clean, But I don't know that that would be the same case here.
Speaker 4: I don't think people would hold onto it.
Speaker 3: I mean I think I actually think Los Angeles is a very good example of why that doesn't work, because there's just garbage on every corner.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 4: So you're saying, maybe for you, a better gift would have been a garbage can, Well, maybe maybe this is incomplete. Maybe if I'd given you this plus a waste basket a wastebasket.
Speaker 3: But my car does have a car garbage can. But I think the idea of bringing street trash into my car might be a bridge too far.
Speaker 4: You have a garbage can in your car.
Speaker 3: From this very podcast somebody gave me, and I don't know if you have one of these. I talk about this thing way too much, but it's changed my life. It hangs off the passenger seat, and my car used to be an absolute disaster, and now it's stuffed with all the receipts and straw papers and all that garbage, and I clean it out about every two weeks. And now my car is I wouldn't say flawless, because I get it washed once a year, but.
Speaker 4: So there are flaws that are crew sure and then they're purged.
Speaker 3: But I do have that, and I recommend it to everybody. I don't know why this isn't built into every car.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's weird.
Speaker 3: I have a lot of complaints about things not having garbage cans.
Speaker 4: I guess you know it's weird. My car. I don't accrue anything because I have a rule that's like no, just no stuff in my car at all. There's not because I have a funny car. I have like a little like a thunderbird. It's like a little red convertible. This was sort of like my silly California car. But I was like, the worst thing would be to driving like a car, a car like this inul. So there's not even like my trunk is empty. There's not even like a sweatshirt in the back for when I get cold. There's there's it's an empty car. And I've found that if I have a rule, this goes. There's a lot of stuff in life like this, Like it's just like yes or no. If I were like allowed to leave a little mess here there, then it would be trashed. So then it's just like not not even a pen, not anything in that car?
Speaker 3: Do you like? Will you bring a drink into the car?
Speaker 4: I will. I will do as the people of Japan do. Or I will hold onto that drink when I'm done with it's done with it and take it out that very day. So I'm always drinking drinks in the car, non alcoholically.
Speaker 3: Constantly drunk. You smashed into the studio this morning.
Speaker 4: Man, that would I've never driven drunk, nor will I kids, But how fun would it be to me? Kind of just cruising around with a with a cocktail like a margarita.
Speaker 3: You know, well a cocktail a mocktail, you'll still get pulled over.
Speaker 4: Oh man, you're from you You're from Slia. Yes, yes, those soda places.
Speaker 3: Oh sure those what is it called, like swim wigs wigs? I love the idea. This is gross still leftover.
Speaker 4: If you have your drink is left over from Swig, come by, drop it off a swill. We can use that. I was. I went to Swig for the first time and I was ordering at the counter, but I was looking out the takeout window and I saw just like happy lady after a happy lady coming and ordering their like forty six ound sodas and needing two hands to get their sodas and like putting into the car, and uh it was. They were like, that's what I would be like with a big frozen margarita in my car. But they were just having a blast a huge straw, huge soda. It's like a fun thing to happen, like you're like hugging a barrel. It really is.
Speaker 3: Yeah, what was your order there?
Speaker 4: I was doing one that had been like a TikTok sensation that week because it was on more Secret Wives of Mormon Secret Lives.
Speaker 3: This show no one will ever get right the first time.
Speaker 4: Nobody knows it.
Speaker 3: Secret Lives of Mormon Wives.
Speaker 4: A drink somebody's drink order from that show was like a big TikTok sensation, so I wanted to try it. So it was it was like a kicked up Doctor Pepper. It was like Texas tab I think they called it. Oh, and it was Doctor Pepper plus coconut cream sauce and then some other type of squirt of some other sauce, but then strawberry flavor burst balls in the bottle. They were like boba sized balls that you suck through a fat straw but it was like candy, like Gusher's candy. You didn't and the whole thing. You know, like if if they had started with sparkling water and then juiced it up, maybe some of that would be fun. But if you're starting with.
Speaker 3: With an extremely sweet, extremely sweet and then just building it from there, it's yeah, it's just I feel like you have nowhere to go from Doctor Pepper.
Speaker 4: Yeah. So I had one sip and I was like, yeah, this is actually pretty good, And then the second sip was like fucking disgusting. Did you finish it? Not even close? And I got I got the big one to be funny, but I was throwing out like forty four ounces of soda.
Speaker 3: I've only I think I've been to one of those twice when I've been back home and I've ordered like the diet version, and I haven't been I've probably gotten four SIPs in. I'm like, this is intolerable. This is a bad beverage.
Speaker 4: Do they have diet strawberry balls?
Speaker 3: Like no other element of it can.
Speaker 4: Be like sugar syrup pumped into it's.
Speaker 3: The gravy and cream that they're just pouring in there gravy. But I feel like the most you can do is put a line in it, right, Like otherwise have to start with just a like a sparkling water or something.
Speaker 4: And you'd be so boring if you went there and like, can I have a lime wedge? Yeah? And that's it. Who's this looser?
Speaker 3: I will say. I've like kind of come around about like criticizing people for drinking those because, uh, the frappucino is the same thing right there. I know so many people who drink that shit. They're all horrible absolutely.
Speaker 4: And what's weird is I don't know, do you know in the rules of Mormonism, I don't even think there is a law against caffeine. It's like hot drinks.
Speaker 3: Wow, you're really uh, you're really educated on this because most people are so confused and the fact that you're even saying hot drinks is like a very specific thing to morrow.
Speaker 4: This was all I did a lot of learning that one morning that I went to this place and I was had TikTok open while I was there. But like, so a frappucino has caffeine, but it's a cold Is it that it was a hot drink that then became cold?
Speaker 3: And then see, that's pretty You're onto the logic here, because the logic is puzzling, absolutely puzzling. It hot drink means coffee or tea, so if it's even if it's iced, you can't drink an iced coffee or an iced tea, although the iced tea of it is starting to bend a little bit for some Mormons who will drink an iced green tea or decaffeinated tea, but they won't drink no matter what, a decaffeinated coffee.
Speaker 4: And it doesn't matter like cold bruise, not a loophole, even if it was.
Speaker 3: Never cold, not a silk coffee.
Speaker 4: What about has Starbucks embraced like you know, because they have all the sort of like lemonade and dragonfruit type beverages of Starbucks, right, are those popular?
Speaker 3: I think some Mormons will drink those, But then a lot of Mormons, I think, are afraid to probably be even seen in a Starbucks.
Speaker 4: Right because you're supporting hot drink. You're supporting this big hot drink.
Speaker 3: So, but I imagine I think if you looked at the books over at Starbucks in Utah, the dragonfruit, lemon lemonade or whatever would be probably the most popular, at least within the Starbucks world. Right, that's probably their biggest seller in Utah.
Speaker 4: I'm just speaking. I believe it. I believe you. You've definitely looking at some spreadsheets and grass. The funniest loophole type thing that I encountered on that I have a friend who is like a ski patroller at Snowbird. So he lives in Salt Lake, and I was visiting him and we went up to Park City, Okay, and I'm like, I have a cocktail podcast, Like I'm like a boost dude. So he brought me to this whiskey place in Park City that he thought I would like, and I did like it, and I but I ordered a flight of whiskeys where I'm going to taste all four types of whiskey that this distillery makes, right, And they brought out like the wooden ski that would be a flight, and instead of giving me four whiskeys, they had two, and then there were two empty slots, and then they were like, when you finish these two, we'll bring you the next two. But I was all paid. It is one transaction and it was one piece of wood. But they just couldn't bring me four equally. Yeah, so they could only serve me two ounces of whiskey at a time. But it's like I wasn't gonna like I tried, you know, like as I moved it worked out totally fine. But I like knowing that that that was like I remained pure.
Speaker 3: It's because the laws about these things are being made by people who don't drink or understand drinking culture, so they assume someone like you is just like pounding them down as.
Speaker 4: Quickly as moll, like we gotta stop this devil.
Speaker 3: We've got to save this man. Maybe too in he'll realize the error of his way.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah, I've kept get back to LA and I'm so like, I'll have two whiskys please, and I'll have the next two and fifteen.
Speaker 3: Minutes and then I'll do some hard thinking about my life.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, those laws none of them make any sense whatsoever. And it just seems annoying to people who drank.
Speaker 4: But I wonder, I mean, so for the people that are following Mormonism and stuff, I wonder if there's a comfort in doing all the stuff but following the laws and just feeling like you're in good hands along the way. You know, like looking at four shots whiskey might feel like what am I doing here? But if it's two and two, you're like, like, I did this in the responsible way, and I I was holding Jesus's hand the whole time.
Speaker 3: I Yeah, I don't understand. It's like, if they have a problem with it, just stop it all together, right. They obviously can't do that, so they're like putting in these weird I don't know.
Speaker 4: It was just funny off, Yeah, to offer a flight that I would have never thought when I was in Utah that on a menu, there would be something called a flight of whiskey, like to do like a sampler plant Like I'm fine in La never having a flight of anything. So the idea that in Park City they do have them, but just.
Speaker 3: With a flight of anything feels like such a weird menu move.
Speaker 4: Oh man. I I did the weirdest faux pas recently where I was at a German restaurant, a Red Lion, and I wanted to try a bunch of different schnops, so I ordered for myself a flight of schnops. So they gave me four shot glasses, and I was walking back to the table with my friends and they looked at me and they go toom oh, like I was bringing shots for the table. And in that moment I realized it was my friend's birthday and I had not thought to buy shots or buy him drink or anything. And I had to sit back down at the table be like, oh no, actually, these are four entirely these are four drinks for me. But you know, you guys can sit and watch me have my schnapps.
Speaker 3: Did you do anything to correct that?
Speaker 4: I put them in the middle of the tables, like anyone wants to try as if we're gonna we're gonna share everyone. Like mint schnapps is like a sweet lower abv liqueur. So I think that the idea is that it's like we know them as like like peach schnops will just be like some it's like made of grain. The alcohol is just like grain alcohol, but then they've added sugar and like fake peach flavor.
Speaker 3: It's awful to me.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that that is nasty. But in Germany they're actually like I guess, distilling, Like if you have plumb schnapps, they're actually taking a plum and I don't know.
Speaker 3: What they do, and then they leave it alone for long.
Speaker 4: Step back. So it is interesting kind of to like drink some plum snaps like it kind of tastes like a rotten plum. I mean like for me as any if any opportunity to be talking about the alcohol I'm drinking is fun, I don't know. And there's like some old German ladies that work at that bar that are really knowledgeable, so I'll be like, what do you got?
Speaker 3: What were the other three on the flight?
Speaker 4: There was honey, which is tastes like what it sounds like, and then there was one herbal that they wouldn't say what they're undisclosed. Uh yeah, and like kind of strong and kind of disgusting. But then the best one is apple and it just tastes like a like a cider or something. It was delicious. Okay, that's do you have a favorite liquor?
Speaker 1: Hmmm.
Speaker 4: I'm kind of a rum guy because I was like it like tiki bar. I'm like a my tie guys.
Speaker 3: Oh sure that feels like your entire vibe.
Speaker 4: I'm wearing a Hawaiian Yes, you're.
Speaker 3: Driving a red convertible, pristine, red convertible.
Speaker 4: Pristine on the inside of fucking mess on the ods. Actually you know what. It had hubcaps that that had the thunderbird logo on them, and recently I walked out and somebody had stolen all four.
Speaker 3: How much could those be worse?
Speaker 4: I don't know how many other like two thousand and two Ford Thunderbirds are on the road and my car like looks stupid now, but I looked up like to buy them because they don't manufacture them, because it's like a discontinued car, So it would be like me buying some weird discontinued item that's like that a collector would be selling me. So it was gonna be one thousand dollars to get like these little logo places.
Speaker 3: You're probably going to be buying them from the person who stole them from you, exactly.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna set it out. I'm gonna set up a little sting operation cats as fucker.
Speaker 3: Oh boy boy, Well, is there anything left we need to say about I feel like we haven't even talked about the dust pen to be honest.
Speaker 4: Well, I you so you are liberal?
Speaker 3: I am deeply conservative. Oh that's kind of the bedrock of this podcast.
Speaker 4: I should have gotten the.
Speaker 3: Right, right, man, We're just this, We're constantly trying to defund public education. I've got a lot of I've got a big agend on this podcast.
Speaker 4: Okay, well, yeah, I support all that.
Speaker 3: Thank you, Okay, and a podcast roll credits. No, Yes, I'm a liberal person. I would like to think, but when push comes to shove.
Speaker 4: Who knows.
Speaker 3: I mean, come on, when I'm trapped in a corner, maybe I'm deeply conservative, hateful person.
Speaker 4: I'll tell you this. My funny flip flop is I've got like sort of like my parents are conservative in the way that they like kind of go to churching. We don't talk politics, but they're like conservative. But my dad, I'm from Woodstock, New York, and my had moved there as like a hippie guitar player. Guy wanted to be a rock star, and I've seen pictures of him like long hair, long beard playing guitar, total hippie man. And then when rock and roll didn't work out as a career for him in the seventies, he opened like a hippie pizza place, okay in Woodstock on the village green, like whole wheek crust, wow, cool place, and it did well and he made money, and then he became a Reagan Republican. Guy started wearing a blazer, Oh no, and was is just like I'm a restaurant tour so that was like, that's the dad that I grew up with, is like a conservative Republican. But it was mainly based on like not wanting to pay taxes.
Speaker 3: Right, of course, that's always what it is.
Speaker 4: So if you ever open a restaurant, don't get too successful with that. You don't want to have to like be like Uncle Sam's taken all my dough pizza do money?
Speaker 3: Does he have any of those hippie ideals left.
Speaker 4: Not at all, and he won. He doesn't even lay guitar anymore. Oh what a shame. He gave me the guitar. So the guitar I'm always playing in my band is my dad's guitar from seventies, because he associates that with like, oh, you know, there was a whole it was drugs and music and all of it, and I don't want any part.
Speaker 3: Of it, like so many hippies have turned this way.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but you would think you could just still play the if you're just you know, like if you play guitar on its own, it's it's not saying anything politically. It's the lyrics that are anti Vietnam or whatever. But I don't feel like the guitar itself is to blame. But he won't touch the thing.
Speaker 3: Wow, that's crazy, like it's cursed. Certainly there's some horrible conservative songs he could be playing. Absolutely, I'm trying to searching my mind.
Speaker 4: Rascal Flats, Yeah, who was that guy that was like went viral last year. Was like out in the backyard strumming, and it was there was like some conservative guy a song that was like about welfare. Welfare people are too fin.
Speaker 3: Oh, who was that Oliver? Oliver Oliver He's mononym.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Oliver, it was Oliver. I bet my dad would like that.
Speaker 3: Wow. That And then that guy up ended up being kind of controversial for conservatives right where he's like, well that's not what I think.
Speaker 4: I think that heat Like then Fox News loved him and stuff, and he was like, I'm like a West Virginia weirdo. I don't want to be part of it.
Speaker 3: I believe in nothing.
Speaker 4: And then also actually read a really interesting interview with him, like a month later. He was touring and it's kind of adorable, like he didn't know how famous he had gotten. So he was still playing like small venues, but he was like trying to price gouge on the on the merch and was like fighting with the club owners of these small clubs because he was like give me my money, don't you take my money. But I was like, dude, you could just you could be headlining festivals, you know, like you could go to Nashville and be a billionaire. But he was like, I'm charging twenty five dollars for that T shirt.
Speaker 3: Now, taking it just out of reach of my family.
Speaker 4: Yeah. So he's like living in like a smite slightly larger shack in West Virginia, being like I'm a success.
Speaker 3: He feels kind of like, uh that like the musician becoming viral, Like it's like the what was the guy with the Golden Voice? The homeless man with the Golden Voice or whatever it was. Oh yeah, that was like the title of the viral thing and what had ended up happening with him.
Speaker 4: It feels like.
Speaker 3: It's always a darkened any viral person.
Speaker 4: I know. I mean, I was just I was in a building recently and I like, like this where there's a lot of studios, and I saw that it was the Talk to a studio.
Speaker 3: Oh my god.
Speaker 4: So me and my friend we took a picture with the sign I think like we were going to be guests on Talk To but we weren't. But we just thought it was a funny picture and we posted it and I had no idea what's been going on with her? She released like a meme coin and did like a pump and dump and people lost money. People hate her, and she was like on the lamp and stuff. She was. I think she's back now, But in the moment when I posted the picture, people were like, don't go on that show. She has screwed a lot of people out of their savings.
Speaker 3: Now she's gone too far.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's also funny the people investing their savings in Talk Talk to Rock to a coin and we're like she when this was our hard earned money and we thought we trusted her that.
Speaker 3: Person any person who put their money into that there money should be drained by the government or there should be like a babysit sitter put in charge of whatever they're doing with their finance.
Speaker 4: Yea conservatorships for everybody.
Speaker 3: Yes, wow, I wonder how much longer Sho'll lasts.
Speaker 4: Like I think she's got a long career. She's so good, she's you know, she's God. How how miserable would it be of like, you know, if you're a comedian you're trying to like write more jokes or write your next script or whatever. Imagine if you were famous for saying hawk to a spin on that thing and then you have to I've seen other clips where she has more of those, and like, how miserable. Like if you're like trying to come up with more of those, or you have writers pitching you more of those, you know, like, uh, slurp, slurp, suck on that thing, and she's like, yeah, that's actually pretty good.
Speaker 3: We're all going to be working for this person.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I know. I mean I would. I would do that job in a heartbeat. I think she would have me.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we're all looking for health insurance. It's the worst business in the world.
Speaker 4: It's the health insurance. This thing is funny. It just crossed my mind recently because I've been like, this year has been a lot of touring with my band and stuff like that, and we're doing good and everything, and then I just like, oh, no, I have I have to write for if I don't write for television. Yes, I've as as adult, I've never paid for health insurance because I've been lucky to be getting staff jobs for all that. But I'm like, oh, like, I didn't even think about that. I have to pop in and write some jokes for somebody, somebody at some point, I've.
Speaker 3: Got to find something. Yeah, otherwise wherever well with health the health insurance, you know.
Speaker 4: And it's it's kind of funny that the amount of I think the WGA, it's like I need to make like thirty seven thousand dollars a year whatever to get my next year of health insurance. It is very funny when during a light year, when you've made like, you know, thirty six thousand dollars, you're like, I'm not going to make one thousand dollars of union, Like, where is this going to come from?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 4: How's that going to happen for me?
Speaker 3: That's like you have to yeah, where would that? Because the amount you would get from another job would probably take you right well and comfortable.
Speaker 4: And it would be too much money.
Speaker 3: I just want to make the thirty can write like a greeting card or something.
Speaker 4: Just a so.
Speaker 3: Oh what a terrible hawk?
Speaker 4: Tua talk toua.
Speaker 3: Maybe sure, let's get her a show.
Speaker 4: She's very good, she's.
Speaker 3: Ultimately ultimately very good.
Speaker 4: Period. Does she have a name Haley? I think it's Haley.
Speaker 3: That sounds right, also a mononym Oliver and Haley go on to.
Speaker 4: Catch Oliver or hall Over.
Speaker 3: Okay, interesting, Okay, well okay, now see I'm thinking as a writer for both of these people, and I'm kind of pitching myself as one of their staff.
Speaker 4: If you can package them and then they need you because you had the idea for them to lab That is funny I've worked on a couple of things where it was like somebody's grandfathered in because they were part of the idea for like a very long time ago, right, and then they just get to be like in the room for a thing happening, and wow, you just have to package some stuff, say you you and you you guys.
Speaker 3: And then everyone else on the staff hates that first and it talks about.
Speaker 4: Them nonstaff, and they don't give.
Speaker 3: They get to show up and do whatever they want. They don't care how many text threads are about.
Speaker 4: They're like, go for it. I'm getting no texts. That's the dream. Look at the phone, just that the messages app is empty.
Speaker 3: No one cares about. Okay, well, I'm thrilled. I feel like at some point you said, are you liberal? And did we talk about that? This feels like a long forgotten dream.
Speaker 4: Did we? Did we say out loud that the brand name is Yes, that's what's.
Speaker 3: We have past guests, the Libman Brothers have been on this very podcast. Yes what two very funny men named the Libman's.
Speaker 4: Okay, but they're not these ones.
Speaker 3: They're not these as far as I know, they're not connected to this brand.
Speaker 4: We don't know.
Speaker 3: It might be a distant relative, or maybe they're hiding it from maybe they're a nepo babies in the worst way. And I wonder if the libman owners are.
Speaker 4: Conservative interesting feel really dirty?
Speaker 3: Yeah exactly, they're constantly trying to change their name. But lib Man that feels like a good novelty blue Sky account? Are you on blue Sky?
Speaker 4: My my podcast is on blue Sky, but I'm not out there just yet.
Speaker 3: How is it you know, I'm not. I have an account and I've never used it.
Speaker 4: I thought for a second that blue Sky would be like, oh, this is a return to silly old Twitter where we're being funny, Like that's what I know you from, Like we used to Like.
Speaker 3: You're the last Twitter account that I found funny.
Speaker 4: Really, so I kind of shut it down.
Speaker 3: You're the only one where I'd be like, oh, this is the only person on here that's still funny.
Speaker 4: Well, thank you. But then also it's funny that I feel like I was being like, hey, I'm silly in here, and then I kind of I fell off and turned dark and was fighting with people like how could you not? It's an awful website. So when I first looked at blue Sky. I was like, oh, maybe this will be silly old Twitter, and mainly what I saw was like just Democrats being like, oh, it's so nice to be away from the conservatives, and then still just like lots of talk about why they don't like Trump, and it just felt like, You're like, well, it's the definition of an echo chamber if we received from the place where the conservatives are so that we can talk about politics in peace.
Speaker 3: Oh so boring.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's boring.
Speaker 3: Your Twitter account went Yeah, there was Beverly Mysterious.
Speaker 4: That was celebrity gossip. Yeah, Linda underwear that was kind of raunchy stuff about her husband.
Speaker 3: And there was one more, wasn't there.
Speaker 4: I mean, at least one. I'd tried a thousand more and if they didn't get any results, I would change it again. But those were the ones that stuck. Yeah, And then the last one, I think it's still this to this day. I changed it like I didn't know what this meant. I was trying to be artistic. I changed the name to Manders, and I was like, I was like, what's Manders? And then I started being like, Mander's coming soon, And then I don't know what it was, and I didn't know if it was a name or a thing or whatever. So on there. Now it's still like Mander's and there's just like, hasn't been a tweet for years? Oh what a shame?
Speaker 3: What I mean, it's kind of I feel free that I don't have to do it anymore. Yeah, but there was kind of a fun element to it.
Speaker 4: Well, sometimes I think of a joke that's like, you know, a short sentence and I don't know where to type it, and I'm not on threads and Blue Sky feels like not the right place. I'm like, where do I put the sentence? I texted to a friend and ask them if they laughed.
Speaker 3: You're doing all these open mic yeah, exactly.
Speaker 4: Can I have thirteen seconds and then like me at twelve seconds and then I'll finish the sentence.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I don't know where any of that goes anymore. I guess you could slowly write a book or something.
Speaker 4: Right, Yeah, That's what I'll do every day, one sentence and then when I read it on like this was a perfect novel. Oh my god, what a moving story.
Speaker 3: It only took forty years, so right, Uh, well, I think it's time to play a game. What game should we play? I'm gonna name two. I'm gonna give you an option. We can play a game called Gift Master or a game called Gifter a Curse.
Speaker 4: Gifter a curse. It has a.
Speaker 3: Darkness, yeah, shadowy Okay. I need a number between one and ten from you.
Speaker 4: Seven. Okay.
Speaker 3: I have to do some light calculating to get our game pieces. So right now, you can promote, recommend, do whatever you want. I'll be right back.
Speaker 4: Uh all right. I write for a show called Digman on Comedy Central and Paramount Plus. Watch that show. I'm in a band called the Sloppy Boys, and I have a cocktail podcast called the Sloppy Boys checks out.
Speaker 3: Okay, it's gonna take longer for me, So.
Speaker 4: That's all my credits. I've got a Patreon podcast behind a paywall called the Sloppy Boys blowout five dollars a month. You gotta listen to that show. Okay.
Speaker 3: Next, this is my new bit.
Speaker 4: You're writing a novel? What else can you check me out on.
Speaker 3: You?
Speaker 4: I'm not on Threads, I'm not on Blue Sky. I'm on TikTok, but I haven't ever ever posted any videos. I just sort of scroll swig content very good.
Speaker 3: I almost heard nothing because again I'm out of my mind. But those are find Tim wherever you go.
Speaker 4: Tim is so funny.
Speaker 3: Uh, listener, I have all the you know, I recommend myself in this podcast all the time. Find the Instagram and I have. I'm watching Little House on the Prairie. If we've already talked about that, get into it, the old one, they're making a new one. I'm not involved. I should have been, despite the fact that I only started watching the show a month ago. But I feel like I know what Little House should be and the fact that no one's reached out is disgusting.
Speaker 4: Michael Landon, Yes, so I've never seen an episode. Don't know that guy, but there's there's a gravitas around like the way people talk about him. They're like, Michael land is that coming across as he extremely charismatic?
Speaker 3: He ah, yes, he's a very he's dreamy and he obviously was like I think he had a lot of control over the show. And you see him without his shirt on pretty frequently for a show that's like for Mormon families to watch on Sunday.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, he'll.
Speaker 3: Be like in with no shirt and suspenders.
Speaker 4: And is he in really good shape.
Speaker 3: He's a great show.
Speaker 4: He looks incredible. So he was an EP in just every week. His idea was like, I guess maybe my shirt comes off.
Speaker 3: What if I was hard at work and the beating sun and I didn't have a shirt.
Speaker 4: I remember thinking about when I was a kid, I saw Dances with Wolves and you see Kevin Costner's butt, and then I heard that he directed that movie, and as a kid, I was like, he chose to show his butt. Like I was watching that movie thinking like they forced them the show. But it is funny if you're directing a thing, or if you have any say and you're like, I'm going to be sexy in the show.
Speaker 3: It's so fine. It's such a weird move. And I also, this is something that I can't say for sure, but my boyfriend was doing some researching about Michael Landon and apparently there was that decent amount of sexual harassment going on on the show, which when you think about how family friendly it is, it's a weird thing to think about him having these wonderful moments with this family, then the cameras turn off and the.
Speaker 4: Baby and then everyone's in like old timey garbine.
Speaker 3: Yeah, nothing about it makes any sense. Okay, this is how we play Gift or a Curse. I'm going to name three things. You're going to tell me if they're a gift or a curse and why, and then I'll tell you if you're right or wrong, because there are corrects and you can lose.
Speaker 4: I hope I win.
Speaker 3: I hope you win too. I'm rooting for so to win, do I have to get two of the three right?
Speaker 4: You have to get all three right.
Speaker 3: Yeah. There's a very short list of winners, shorter list of losers, and then just a bunch of people who have done all kinds of things. So do whatever you want.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 3: This first one is from our Mega tier of listeners. Someone named Fairy Shepherd, and I can't imagine that's their real name, But who knows? Gift or a curse? Palindromes gift.
Speaker 4: I like to come across a palindrome that you know, not somebody said, some big fancy one that everybody knows. But if it's just like I catch it in the wild, that's actually a palindrome. Makes me feel smart, and it's a gift to feel smart. Wrong, that's a curse.
Speaker 3: That's I come across one of these things, and I think, why, why don't we just put a.
Speaker 4: Different word there? You know the things. I can't walk down the street anymore. They'll see these things.
Speaker 3: No, it's lazy. If you see a palindrome, you should and you're writing things down, find a synonym there to put for the second word. I don't want to see mirror words anywhere I go.
Speaker 4: Okay, so instead of madam, I'm Adam.
Speaker 3: Yes, it should be madam, I'm Brent.
Speaker 4: I agree, it's better. Yes, that is better, better writing, better writing, for sure.
Speaker 3: Yes, A man a plan?
Speaker 4: What is that one?
Speaker 3: A man a plan A canal Panama? Is that?
Speaker 4: Yeah? Yeah, a man a plant canal? There we go way better. See, this is why we get the wa points.
Speaker 3: We're working for. Hawk to a gal. Yes, Holly is that her name? Haley? Haley, Hailey, Holly Oliver.
Speaker 4: That's all over. Don't look to it, do not look into it.
Speaker 3: Okay, So you've got that one wrong and everyone is not on your side anymore.
Speaker 4: But I'm still gonna do the next two just because I have heart.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Adam, because you're a good guy, all right. The second one is from a listener named Andy gift her a curse black tie optional.
Speaker 4: This is a curse, and I'll tell you why. People read it, and they just think black tie optional means optional black tie. If I want to wear a tux, I'll wear a tux. If I don't, I don't. But it's confusing because black tie optional is kind of actually just the name of its own category. And if you google it, it's like it's like saying cocktail formal but before black tie is black tie optional. It's a very confusing. It's the most commonly misunderstood one. If I see black tie optional, I know I'm not wearing a tuxedo, but I'm confused about what suit I'm gonna wear.
Speaker 3: Correct. I hate this thing. I hate I need to be given a clear directive first, and I also hate a dress code in general. Don't tell me to anything. Just let me show up. I don't want to. I don't want to walk into a thing thinking did I get the rule?
Speaker 4: Correct? But are you never looking around at the people in shorts sayings under dressed?
Speaker 3: Well, of course, let me do that on my own time. Let me be free to judge and make my own rules. I don't need. I'm already at your stupid event. Don't give me another assignment.
Speaker 4: I just went out to dinner. I was in New York for my birthday and I went out to Ruth's Chris Steakhouse family and my sister was coming straight from work. So she was like, worried if she was dressed up enough, and I was like, don't worry. I wanted her to come, so I'm like, don't worry. It's Ruth Chris. You can wear whatever you want. I'm wearing a button down shirt but no blazer or anything, so wear whatever you want. So I was saying like, yeah, you should be able to wear whatever you want. And then she came and she was dressed sort of casually, but I was like, you look great. This is great. Then we got in there, I saw a guy with a baseball cap. I was grossed out. I was like, what the fuck it's my birthday. You were in a baseball cap. It's a steakhouse.
Speaker 3: Take that hat off.
Speaker 4: This church they did tell them to do. They did, yeah, and I think that's the only thing they would enforce. Like they were like, sir, we do have dress. We didn't mind taking the hat off. And he happily took it off, so it was not I didn't have to get involved.
Speaker 3: This is what I'm gonna say to this. If you were a a national chain of any type of restaurant or anything, you shouldn't be able to have a dress code. I think that people should. Once you become a national chain, the shine is off. People can show up in boxers and tank tops.
Speaker 4: But does that discourage people from spending money? My I got a ribbi that was all a cart seventy nine dollars, right, I hate to hear it? So am I going to spend that kind of money? Silly money? Stupid amount of money. If there's baseball caps.
Speaker 3: Being surrounded by trash.
Speaker 4: Yeah, or baseball players. I don't know. He could have been a professional baseball player like Shield, He's like, what do I miss? We were in extra innings.
Speaker 3: For me, it would encourage me to spend more if I was allowed to dress like garbage, because I'd be trying to impress everybody. But well, I got the money.
Speaker 4: I mean that is the cool move. To be the casual guy with the most money is.
Speaker 3: A cool that's very la thing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, La.
Speaker 3: There is no rest code anywhere. That's one thing to know about this city, in particular, if you show up in sweatpants, you're probably the richest person.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and and that you were embarrassed to like I was invited to dinner at SOHO House by a guy who's a member, and I dressed up and I felt like a door.
Speaker 3: Oh you feel like yeah, absolutely, like an orphan exactly that.
Speaker 4: It was like this guy's really I looked like I was going to church.
Speaker 3: Yes, Oh, the worst feeling in the world. Okay, well you got that one correct.
Speaker 4: Very nice.
Speaker 3: You're kind of winning back people's favor. This final one is from a listener named Emily Gift or a Curse, a radio host takes the opportunity on a musician's birthday to tell us there would be age though they've been dead for years.
Speaker 4: Gift, why interesting? I want to know some of these rocks ares live real long, and if they had all kept on living, I want to know where they're at. How do I stack up? How how how long I'm in a band?
Speaker 3: Are your rocks are? Just?
Speaker 4: I want to know how long? No, it is funny that, like I'm not gonna do the math now, but if you told me how old Jimmy Hendrix would be today, I'd be interested in that three hundred. That's interesting. So he was really old when he needed to die when he died, fantastic.
Speaker 3: My god, he didn't die too young. He died too old.
Speaker 4: He's like two and fifty.
Speaker 3: People were begging him to die, or.
Speaker 4: Like, we're tired of this guy, Jimmy, you've gone too far, and now he's playing guitar. He's been around for two and fifty years and now he's playing guitar.
Speaker 3: He picked up something very late. No, you're correct. I think this is a gift. I love a little trivia fact. I love being reminded of mortality in general. I love just a song being given a little.
Speaker 4: Bit of spookiness.
Speaker 3: Yeah, to hear he would have been this age, but he's now ash. I think that's a nice thing to add on pop radio.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and then it makes you think of his or like if he's buried in the ground and we're thinking about modern day him, the soul has left his body. Yeah, add something to the music.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you're suddenly so distracted, you're driving off the road. It's so disorienting.
Speaker 4: I hate when I'm driving and I stay on the road. That's just the words so boring. Everybody's doing that.
Speaker 3: Come on, let me swerve, let me hit something something, Come on, No, I think it's a true gift. And we love those DJs, and well, if any of them still exist, I think most of them are just one robot on Jack f M at this point.
Speaker 4: We love those robots.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we love those robot DJs telling us about Actually it's probably a robot bragging about not being able to die and mortal gloating.
Speaker 4: They're like, you know, Bradley Noel from Sublime is long dead, but here I am living.
Speaker 3: Forever Bradley Noel r I p he would probably be about sixty four. Yeah, that's right, that's almost right.
Speaker 4: And that's actually if that's right, it's extraly interesting because there's the Paul McCartney song when I'm sixty four?
Speaker 3: Like that, right, so again, nobody look into that. I bet he would probably be, how probably fifty three at this point, don't you think.
Speaker 4: No less interesting than fifty? Are there any songs about being fifty three?
Speaker 3: When I'm fifty three? Did Paul McCartney do one for every age? When I'm an unremarkable age? Sixty four was kind of a bad age.
Speaker 4: What was he thinking? Yeah, I don't know. He didn't give hi himself enough time, like he very quickly then became sixty four, and everyone's like, ah.
Speaker 3: You idiot. But I guess at the time in the sixties, sixty four was that was much older. Because now I think I feel like sixty four is almost middle age, like late middle age.
Speaker 4: But at the time it was probably like grandpa. Right. I just looked up do you know the actor Blair Underwood.
Speaker 3: I know that name.
Speaker 4: That means he's like a good looking actor guy from the nineties, And I just saw him in a commercial and he looked fantastic, and I was like, wonder how old he is. He looked him up and he was sixty. Wow. So now you're like, you could be like a sixty four. I mean, Brad Pitt's sixty probably. Yeah, so sixty four is not even old man anymore.
Speaker 3: No, you look great, you look fantastic. So Paul McCartney really biffed that one bad musician ultimately just a bad musician. Yeah, no good at anything he ever did.
Speaker 4: It sort of overshadowed everything else.
Speaker 3: Unearned fame. Uh, kind of a loser. Okay, Well you got two out of three. Not too bad.
Speaker 4: I feel good. So I didn't win, but I you.
Speaker 3: Got sixty six percent, so you I think it's a D minus. Great, fantastic, Honalast you honals has a gift or curse which they'll present to both of us and we have to speak to it and then we'll see. This is kind of the final nail. That's not a nail in the coffin. It's the final round, holyast, what's going on?
Speaker 5: Gift or curse? Sing along screenings at a movie theater.
Speaker 4: I gotta say curse because I've never been to one that I've never been attracted to go to one. And if if I if I want to sing along with music, I want to hear my voice, not some jag off. You know I did. I. I saw the Era's Taylor Swift movie twice in the theater and everyone was up and dancing, and that was fun, and I'm a Taylor Swift fan, so I enjoyed myself. But when people were singing, I was like, what kind of want to hear the lady? Yeah? Yeah, you know the lady lady. Yeah. I think it is.
Speaker 3: Well, let me let me just give it some quick thought here I give.
Speaker 4: It some thought. You want me to plug more projects.
Speaker 3: If you wouldn't mind. Just what else have you been working on?
Speaker 4: Jesus Christ, I've been you know. I brought new new curtains from my home and they're emerald green, and I'm not feeling great about it.
Speaker 3: Oh, that seems like a bold choice.
Speaker 4: It's too bold for me.
Speaker 3: That's a big sexy choice.
Speaker 4: It was intended to be, but it's Backfuck, it's a mess.
Speaker 3: I'm going to say curse as well. I I do not want anyone encouraged to be making noise in public at a time. I don't and I don't want them to have that freedom. I don't want them to feel that they have any opportunity. And I think that that can bleed into regular non singing screenings and people start to get confused.
Speaker 4: People. Most people are stupid.
Speaker 3: And we'll start to think I can sing whenever I want and people want to hear me. No one wants to hear you. I hate when people say anything or sing anything in unison. It makes me uncomfortable. Yeah, when I'm asked to yell along with other people, I'm silent. I don't like that feeling. I don't like cheering. I don't like I think that people have to stop it in general, curse top to bottom. You won't catch me in one of these things.
Speaker 4: I you know, it's funny when you say people sing in uise, and I really when people sing happy birthday. I hate hearing people being off pitch. I'm so not I'm in a real scrappy band and I'm not a Oh really, are are you a tone deaf?
Speaker 3: That's what I've been told?
Speaker 4: Really? Okay, so when when it's time to sing happy birthday? Are you ever the first one being like hey everyone, ah, follow me?
Speaker 3: No, I'm more like this, yeah, yeah, as quietly as possible.
Speaker 4: I Uh, I'm a follower as well, because I'm like, I don't know the range of the people in this room, what what not? Are we gonna start it? I'm gonna start too high, I'm gonna start too long. But like, yeah, when when the public is singing together or clapping together or anything, I and I'm so not like a fancy musician or anything, but I do like look at the person who's doing it wrong and thrown it off.
Speaker 3: There's just something kind of inherently dorky about like shouting in unison to me, it's something I don't know what why it makes me so uncomfortable.
Speaker 4: You're like, if we're all singing together, it means we all know it, so then why do it just think of it? I just think this quietly. That's what they should do. Oh this was funny at that steakhouse when it was my birthday, Like my mom had done the cute thing and told the hostess thing, it's Tim's birthday. Okay. During my entree, the hostess walks over and says, Tim, we hear it's your birthday, and we'd like, we'd like to thank you very much for spending with us. And she hands me a card and I'm like, thank you, And I look at it. On the front it says happy Birthday. I open it up. It says happy birthday Tim from the staff for chris Seakhouse. And I was like, okay, it didn't say like it was. It wasn't a gift card. And then dessert came out, no candle and no cake, know anything.
Speaker 3: So their policy, wow, quiet quiet, they want to keep that as.
Speaker 4: Maybe my mom has said it's my son's birthday, but let's keep this discreet.
Speaker 3: Please don't embarrass up.
Speaker 4: It was done so like, so discreet, like it had been requested that it was quiet. But I was like, why do anything? And I certainly didn't want a restaurant to sing to me. But then it was also weird that it was. It was just nothing.
Speaker 3: For all we know, your mom requested that guy's hat get taken off, asked him to take that off.
Speaker 4: It's my son's birthday. The card says like, we removed the hat. We hope you're happy. And I got to say that guy wants his hack came off beautiful head of hair, gorgeous. I was loving looking at him, just a glorious.
Speaker 3: On alas, how did we do? It's a gift, their gift.
Speaker 5: The gift not because I want to be there, because we finally have a place to put all the insufferable theater.
Speaker 3: Lock the doors, the doors, you.
Speaker 5: Know, Throw some food in there, they'll be fine. Throw some uh some audiobook versions of Babs's recent memoir they they'll they'll be totally okay in there. This now they're encouraged to do the thing that they've been doing at Denny's at midnight.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, just where.
Speaker 4: It gota know, this feels like segregation kind of. They can do what they.
Speaker 3: Want to, just keep it away from singing children away.
Speaker 5: And I love I have many I have many friends who are theater kids.
Speaker 3: But we all do.
Speaker 5: I mean everybody in this this building, probably, but let's be let's be real. They need to do what they do in private. And I'm not ashamed to say that.
Speaker 3: Yes, I have plenty of enthusiastic performer friends, and that doesn't mean I can't hate their energy and vibe altogether. Well, I hate to hear that we were wrong, but I feel like we're we all kind of got to the spirit of this.
Speaker 4: It was still a compelling conversation.
Speaker 3: It was a gorgeous conversation, and no one can complain at all.
Speaker 4: Thank you, Onalise.
Speaker 3: This is a final segment of the podcast.
Speaker 4: People are We're going to do?
Speaker 3: People are sending in voicemails or sending in emails, all sorts of things to I said, no gifts at gmail dot com. However they want to get in touch, They're getting in touch as long as they're not calling me personally. We're going to listen to a question. Will you help me answer a question?
Speaker 4: Yes? All right?
Speaker 6: Analise hit it Hi Bridger and Tolerated guest. This is Beth from Portland.
Speaker 4: Hello.
Speaker 6: I am a gen X hairdresser who is very tired and is wondering if there's another career that I might look into, maybe as a side hustle, maybe as a whole new career.
Speaker 3: And I thought who.
Speaker 6: Better to ask than Bridger? So what should I do instead of hair.
Speaker 3: Nails? Okay? The podcast is over.
Speaker 4: Easy?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think it's very clear.
Speaker 4: Well softball nails? Absolutely?
Speaker 3: Uh? Okay, Well, I'm actually a sensing I'm a little confused because here she is complaining about being tired, blah blah blah, and then it's saying should it be a side hustle? Should I add something to my plate?
Speaker 4: Yeah? That's not what you do when you're tired. I think you like, maybe you focus on your personal life. It's not a career change.
Speaker 3: Right, So what does she really want ultimately other than a tention on a podcast.
Speaker 4: I think it's reinvest in your art. It is. I think you stay as a hairdresser, but you've been maybe given the maybe give some more adventurous cuts, interesting, Maybe start talking some people into some new new looks. If you've lost your inspiration that's on you, and you got to explore. Maybe go on a trip around the world, see some interesting hairstyles. Get inspired.
Speaker 3: First of all, blame yourself. Yes, adventurous cuts is a good name for it, so.
Speaker 4: They're not We're not saying they're good.
Speaker 3: They're adventurous.
Speaker 4: We know there's fantastic Sam, but this is adventurous. Best. Where do you get your haircut? I go to fellow barber and those feelis formerly Rudi's right, But I've never I'm forty two and I've just never figured out how, like how to do haircuts, Like I wait until it's too long. Then I go without an appointment to a strange man who cuts my hair, and I'm never going to the same person. I describe what I want, they don't they cut it, Like all my hair's gone. I look dumb for two weeks, and then after two weeks, I look like myself again. I've done that every three months for forty two years. Wow, that's impressive, thank you. That's very passive. But I've never like people are like, oh, have my guy he comes over to your house, or like cost to your house. There's a lot of that. Yeah, I don't want that.
Speaker 3: I know, I want to go to the place. I want to smell the bar beside.
Speaker 4: I don't want him to see my Emerald curtains. That's harass.
Speaker 3: And then I'll get an idea about who you are and then give you that haircut.
Speaker 4: No, no, I'm not one of these Emerald guys.
Speaker 3: Okay, that's a very specific cut.
Speaker 4: I'm a good, honest guy.
Speaker 3: No, I think this is a good, good advice. Beth travels the world. She's getting all sorts of new ideas for cuts, exotic cuts, adventurous cuts. She gets back to a great clips.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and you you you you talk people in and stuff. They come in for the same one cut and you have about bangs. You know, you're you're the oh I had. I actually had a guy at Rudy's fellow try to I always just get the same haircut and my my hair parts on this side, like naturally, so I've always done that. And the guy was like, Tim, can you pitch you something? I was like, yeah, well, what He's like, no part? I was like, what do you mean. He's like, it's just sort of like thrown forward and it's just sort of like this, and then he kind of puts my hair in that like configuration, but he hasn't cut it yet, and he's like, he's like, so I would cut it so that it doesn't fall in any one way. And then I was just like, oh, yeah, yeah, yeah, this is good for a future haircut. I think I'm not there yet, but thank you, thank you for this, but yeah yeah next time. So uncomfortable, I know, like, no, it's hard to say. It's like like at a restaurant if the waiter recommends something and you don't have that record, but this one like he was really excited about this, so I just have like, yeah, that's so cool. No, that's so cool that we're not doing that.
Speaker 3: I would love to get a picture of my haircutter. I feel like they're always taking my direction, like right, I like the idea of an objective source looking at me as someone who doesn't hate themselves.
Speaker 4: Well, I mean, it's their feedback in general. One time, when I was like a teenager, I was getting my haircut at the mall and I was like, she was like, what do you think about the sideburn length? And I was like, oh, you could take my sideburns off, and then she goes, I actually wouldn't do that. I was like, what do I mean? And she's like, so you have sort of like a wider face, and in what you do, if you have a wider face, you don't want to go too high with the sideburns. Uh, it'll accentuate that with and uh like it hurt my feelings for two seconds, but then I've had like long sideburns ever since. That's good. I mean, that's a professional's advice. I learned something. Yeah, and you're looking at me thinking of this guy has got a long, narrow face, you know, arrow, the floor.
Speaker 3: Cracking behind him.
Speaker 4: It's weird. I like, I look like that McDonald's moon man.
Speaker 3: It's a problem, but really like it's the dentist doesn't ask for your advice.
Speaker 4: Like I would like to do it. I have some yellow teeth. Actually, you know, white would work well for you. Rotting teeth kind of that's not to look for you. You have a wide face, so your teeth should not rot. I will say this.
Speaker 3: Uh. I feel like for men, you kind of get trapped in a haircut for your entire life, Like when you get a new Like if I were to get like a brand new cut, I think people are like, what's happening.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's also funny that like we have short hair and it kind of doesn't matter. But you have friends who are like like Mike Hanford or Kyle Mooney or Jef Dutton from my band, like like these like comedy guys who are like, my thing is cut, my hair is kind of longer. That's a lot of pressure when when they get their haircut, we're gonna notice, like it, because it's gonna get kind of like quaffed and snipped. Oh, and a lot is gonna happen, and they might kind of come out looking like a beautiful lady with like hair that was like too snipped up. Because these are like laid back comedy bres. Like if you can't be like a pot smoking, chill comedian, but you look like you have like nicely teased.
Speaker 3: Bags completely and they can't go completely.
Speaker 4: Short, right if you everyone's gonna notice if you go short, everyone's gonna notice everything you do, as opposed to like I think, on me, a haircut just looks like a haircut.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's that thing. How do you Yeah, I don't know. I feel trapped, absolutely trapped. How do I have to like get a new life?
Speaker 4: Essentially, you have to move to a new city.
Speaker 3: Yes, Beth, did you get your answer? I mean, I hope.
Speaker 4: So.
Speaker 3: I feel like we gave Beth at least two career things, evolutions, shifts, the world, travel to ultimately, just go on a vacation and give yourself a break bath. You're sending voice notes to podcasts, you're cutting hair, you're gen x.
Speaker 4: You describe results. I mean you say I'm gen X. Hairstyle is from Portland. It painted too much of a picture that I know you too well.
Speaker 3: Back off, so you.
Speaker 4: Didn't have to tell me you were tired. I got it, but I think, uh, you know, the Portland is a lush culture fund. You can experiment. Open a food truck. Everybody's doing it. They need one up there. Every people like, oh, our food is bricking mortar.
Speaker 3: If only I had to look up the timetable of when I could get my food, if I could track down my food. Beth, thank you for writing in, but or sending in, don't ever do it again. Good luck with your new career. Good luck to your clients. They're all gonna feel so abandoned when you leave them. I don't know, Tim, I've got my dustpan and.
Speaker 4: It's gonna go in the back of your car, and when you see garbage on the street, you still take your picture.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna do what Karen Bass won't do. Yes, I'm gonna clean up the streets of La See.
Speaker 4: I'm Rick Caruso. This is to make up for all the money Rick Carrioso has lost on your parking over the years. You clean up the city.
Speaker 3: I can't wait to be kind of around town. People thinking Bridges Bridger is kind of lucy.
Speaker 4: We're worried. It is cool though, like you said, if you were the clean up guy or the dustband guy. There used to be a man that walked around the Silver Lake Reservoir. Old guy, like looped up, walking fast from no shirt but reading the newspaper, looped up and like like like Tanning Tanning oil, so slippery, one hundred years old, in great shape, walking real fast, reading the newspaper, and everybody loved him. And then when he died, everyone was like, oh, the newspaper guy died. That's sad. That could be if you want to be remembered after you just now you're getting a late starts, you better get it work.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, well I'm fine whatever I've had such a wonderful time with you.
Speaker 4: Thank you for having me, thank you for being a gift. Who cares?
Speaker 3: I'm laid back.
Speaker 4: Wow, hang loose, very cool.
Speaker 3: Listener. The podcast is over. I'm I need a nap, I need to take I'm probably gonna go fully to bed at one twenty seven pm. I don't know what's going to happen to me. I've got to at least drive home. We'll see what happens. The podcast is over, do something else. Please, I'm not going to get into your business. I love you, goodbye. I said No Gifts is an exactly right production. Our senior producer is on Alise Nelson, and our episodes are beautifully mixed by Ben Tolliday. The theme song is by miracle Worker Amy Mann, and we couldn't do it without our booker, Patrick Cottner. You must follow the show on Instagram at I said No Gifts, That's where you're going to see pictures of all these wonderful gifts I'm getting. And don't you want to see the gifts?
Speaker 6: I invit?
Speaker 3: Did you?
Speaker 4: Hear?
Speaker 1: Thot a man myself perfectly clear? When you're a guest to me, you gotta come to me empty, and I said, no guests, You're our presences.
Speaker 2: Presents enough and I already had too much stuff. So how do you dare to survey me