Speaker 1: This is Frosted Tips with Lance Bass and iHeartRadio podcast. Hey there, everybody, A J. MacLean here sitting in for mister Lance Bass.
Speaker 2: Welcome to an episode of Frosted Tips, or in my case, Frosted Tip just one one big tip, definitely frosted. Thank you Lance for letting me sit in for you, buddy. I am the host with the most this is going to be such an incredible show. I'm honored to sit in for you, my friend. You're probably laying out somewhere in Cabo with Michael enjoying the sun, or you're in the gym working out, or you're playing with your kids, or you're figuring out what's going on with the next insane project.
Speaker 1: I don't know what you're doing, but what I'm doing is taking over your show.
Speaker 2: And I am so stoked to have a very special guest on the show today that I personally sought out and requested.
Speaker 1: If any of you out there are a fan of.
Speaker 2: The show The Boys on Amazon Prime, if you're not a fan, if you are a fan, it's one of the greatest shows on television. I am so honored to have the fastest man alive a train, mister Jesse t Usher on the show today, cannot wait to dive in and dig.
Speaker 1: A little and maybe maybe.
Speaker 2: See if we can get a little inside scoop into the final season, season five of The Boys.
Speaker 1: We're gonna have some fun. And also for me, what's new with me?
Speaker 2: Well, I'm gonna be hopefully setting up a colonoscopy.
Speaker 1: I need to get that done forty six.
Speaker 2: Now, haven't done it yet, and I've been kind of slacking on that. So see, these are all the things that happen when you get older and you just kind of get complacent and you forget about it. But I'm sure Lance has done it. Sure Michael's done it. Maybe we can go get like a three for.
Speaker 1: One and they can come as my moral support.
Speaker 2: So I'm actually calling you both out, guys, if you don't mind coming with me, hold my hand when I get put under before they go.
Speaker 1: Check out my butt.
Speaker 2: And I am currently actually since we're talking about The Boys, which which is an incredible show, Jesse also has a show which we're going to get into, a show called Pulse, which is on Netflix. I am actually the host of a brand new show on Netflix called Building the Band.
Speaker 1: We've been shooting in uh in Well. I don't want to say where, but we're shooting at a remote location.
Speaker 2: We are almost done filming season one and my amazing, amazing cast that is LinkedIn with me. We have the amaze he seeing Nicole Scherzinger, Liam Payne from One Direction, and the amazingly talented Kelly Rowland from Destiny's Child joining me on the show.
Speaker 1: I cannot wait for you guys to see this show.
Speaker 2: It is gonna break the stigma of how bands are put together. I think the show is gonna be over the top smash as well as you know, Bat, you boys are taking this year off, obviously, I'm not. I'm still doing all kinds of things next year, going back out to do two more seasons of The Fashion Hero as well as I am finishing up my debut solo record.
Speaker 1: I know I keep saying that, but I am finishing it.
Speaker 2: So Jesse is here, let's bring him in, Let's do this.
Speaker 1: I am stoked. What's up, Jesse? How you doing? Bro? I am blessed man. Welcome to Welcome to the show. Bro. I am dude. I have been like gunning for this for so long.
Speaker 2: First of all, First of all, congratulations on such a hugely successful show.
Speaker 1: You all deserve everything and anything. What an incredible cast me. Oh dude, So I so Carl and I have done a bunch of comic cons together, so I've I've hung out with him. He is one of the most sweetest human beings on the planet. He's such a good dude. And you know he plays he plays such a prick. But I love it. You know, It's like it's like, but you know that is that is that is Butcher. You know what I mean? That is that is the actual character.
Speaker 2: Yeah, man, Like I you know, when I when I was asked to take over for the show, I was like, they were.
Speaker 1: Asking me, who do you want to interview? Who do you want to talk to? Him? Like we got to get anybody and everybody from the boys.
Speaker 2: I have been a fan since episode one when you burst through Hughey's obliterated. Uh dude, I was like, I'm like, what am I watching right now? Like you know, I mean, I'm a I'm a I'm a huge comic book nerd. Like I'm a sneakerhead. I'm a comic book nerd, Like I got I got all my you know, I mean like dude, I don't. I I have I have a problem, Like I have a whole wall of bunkos and Marvel and everything. But you know, I knew about the comics. I knew about the comics and I never read the comics, but I knew about the comics. And when the show came out, I was like, oh, you know, superheroes.
Speaker 3: Cool.
Speaker 2: You know it's gonna be it's gonna be whatever. But not what I was expecting.
Speaker 1: I was like, Oh, we're gonna we're gonna go there. Okay, got a hold of it, and it's never been the same. Yeah. Know, where where do you guys? Where do you guys? Mainly? Shoot you guys? Shoot Atlanta? Canada? Where do you guys? Shoot? We're Canada, bro, We're in Toronto. Nice.
Speaker 2: I mean I know that's where everything everything is either Canada.
Speaker 1: Well Atlanta's Marvel World now. Yeah.
Speaker 2: But but but yeah, man, so let's let's dive in. Let's let's get in.
Speaker 1: Thanks. I appreciate that, my pleasure. Brother.
Speaker 2: So I was I was reading up some info on you, and I just got to start with this because I I'm fascinated when you when you think you know actors or actresses, you know, like some of the things that I find fascinating me being a singer. When you find out that certain actors and actresses can sting their ass off, You're like, whoa Like you know, my man Hugh Wolverine, you know, kicking ass on Broadways singing, and then you know.
Speaker 1: Bree Larson something like just all these different people that you had no idea. I'm sitting here, reading on reading up on you. You went to culinary school.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like you're a chef, dude, Like what my mind is blown?
Speaker 1: Dude? Hold on a second, Oh man, I went to culinary school. What what what drew you to that? Like? What what made you want to go to culinary school? Dude?
Speaker 4: Ten years ago, if you were to ask me what I'd be doing for a living, I would have told you I have been cooking in a kitchen, you know, working towards being good enough to like design the menu.
Speaker 1: To you know, then launch my own restaurant. That was my dream. That was the goal. It's the only thing that made sense in my mind.
Speaker 4: Like when I was starting to you know, coming out of high school the junior senior year, and I'm trying to think about, like what college I'm going to go to and what I'm going to study. Uh, the only thing that I cared enough about was cooking and like owning a restaurant.
Speaker 1: So that's what I wanted to do.
Speaker 4: Uh. This action thing was like it's always been a hobby, you know, like an after school like tivy, like anything else, because I grew up doing it and I never considered it to be a profession. I never thought that I would be paying my bills with it, you know what I mean. It's like, you know what it is when you're starting out. It's like if it happens, it happens. It's fun, it's cool. Like I enjoyed the community. I love, you know, my fellow actor kids. You know, growing up here in Los Angeles, that was all great. But when I had to think about my career, it was cooking. It was you know, I want to be a Sioux chef and eventually an executive chef, and you know, just sort of worked my way up that world.
Speaker 1: That's what I wanted, right, That's what I's.
Speaker 2: That's awesome, dude, I mean, like so I so this past February, I was in Indianapolis. I played in the NBA All Star Game.
Speaker 1: Let me just let go well, hold on, let me let me retort.
Speaker 2: Jennifer Hudson and I were glorified cheerleaders at the NBA All Star Game.
Speaker 1: I played for about ten minutes.
Speaker 2: And then I was like, nah, dude, you guys are not playing like you know, we had like c J. Stroud and these guys playing and I'm like, these are football players that are playing football in a basketball court. I'm like, this is for fun. I'm not trying to get tackled on a hard floor.
Speaker 1: So Jennifer hook shot from half court. I'm not, yeah, I got I want assist, and that I was done.
Speaker 2: I'm I'm just gonna I'm just gonna sit right here and I'm gonna look good and I'm gonna watch him and our and our coach was Lil Wayne, and I'm like he was just off in some other university. I'm like, I'm like, this isn't You're not helping us right now.
Speaker 1: Bro.
Speaker 2: I love you, man, but you're not really helping us. But I got to play with this amazing guy. His name is Kwame. Kwame is an incredible chef, world renowned chef.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: He has an amazing restaurant called Tatiana's in New York. He's about to open up his second restaurant in DC. And and it's just kind of rang bells in my head when you were talking, because it's just like, you know, I I grew up doing musical theater, so I wanted to be an actor.
Speaker 1: I still do.
Speaker 2: I mean, that's still my number one passion. Never in a million years, if you would have told me thirty one years ago now that I'd be in a boy band singing and dancing, traveling the world, yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean I never never would have thought it. But I'm blessed.
Speaker 2: I'm happy. Obviously, it pays the bills. It's been a great ride, and we got and we're nowhere near done.
Speaker 4: But because like you gave me my flowers, I gotta give you yours. First of all, Bro, I grew up watching you, man. I mean, my sister grew up practicing your dance routine.
Speaker 1: Oh dude, that's awesome. Man, shared their posters on the wall, like you know what I mean.
Speaker 4: To even be sitting here having this conversation with you right now, it's so surreal, like and I'm actually sitting because I have yet to see you live in person.
Speaker 1: So for the next we're going to change that. We're going to change that absolutely be there.
Speaker 2: Well listen what we're what we're done with all this. We're gonna exchange numbers. We're gonna let that down.
Speaker 1: I got you. Are you? Are you La based? Are you here in La?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Nice? Nice? Now did you grow up here in La or where did you grow up?
Speaker 4: Basically? I moved here right before I turned like twelve years old. Was my sister and I were both in the industry. Some of my folks moved us here from Maryland and we've been here.
Speaker 1: Nice. Nice, nice, you know.
Speaker 2: So I gotta say, like what I what I find fascinating about the boys above and beyond anything is you know, I saw this interview with Anthony not that long ago, where like he was saying, you know a lot of people are like comparing Homelander to like Trump and all this stuff and like the parallels of this narcissistic dictator crazy and He's like, no, no, no, I just played a character that's not me.
Speaker 1: I don't that that's not what I believe in.
Speaker 2: I'm not him, And you know, but what I what I think is so great about the show is it's so like socially conscious about it's so mirrors what's happening now. And it's like, I mean, it's whether it's covering you know, racism, whether it's covering you know, the LGBTQ plus community, whether it's covering government politics, all of it, narcissism, dictatory, I mean, all of the things that it covers. That's what's so genius about the writing of the show to me, and about the character development because you know, spoiler free, if anyone is not seeing the show, you better watch it because I'm.
Speaker 1: About to almost soil for y'all.
Speaker 2: Right now, So your character started out kind of like a prick, you know what I mean, Like your character was, I mean, all all of the seven were like that. But now like you and MM and just this whole relationship and like now you kind of feel like this anti hero to me and I and I just I just love the character development with all the with with just all of you, like how many of you are turning against Homelander and all these things.
Speaker 1: It's just and so I've I've I've known.
Speaker 2: Chase for like fifteen years and he is like last time I saw him, we were doing the O two in London, and he had just shaved his head and I, you know, this was happening obviously during the show when he has his little mental breakdown. Yeah, and and I was like, so, dude, let's put the Harry. He's like, oh, you know, I'm doing this new show. That was the first time I heard of the show. I hadn't seen it yet. Wow, that was the first time I heard about it. And I'm like, Okay, I'm about to check this out. And then obviously I've become oddly obsessed with the show. But so what what I like? What what about the show?
Speaker 4: Like?
Speaker 2: And the character drew you in to do this show?
Speaker 1: Like like, was this a cattle call auditionhit? Was it?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 1: This happened?
Speaker 2: Uh?
Speaker 4: So it happened kind of kind of strange for me. It was the first time the process like this had ever happened.
Speaker 1: I was.
Speaker 4: I was shooting Shaft in Atlanta. John Davis was the producer. He and Eric Kripke are sort of like, you know, their their buddies from from who knows when.
Speaker 1: They produced so many things.
Speaker 4: But h so they you know, they were sort of plotting to get me to do a read for this a train character based on some of the performances that I had done in the past. Eric Crikey, you know, I guess sent this to my reps to have me film a tape, and I turned it down because I was shooting this movie and I just you know, when I'm doing a project, I tried not to get distracted by other projects. Like my mom has always said, you know, you don't you don't lose the bird in your hand for the bird in the bush. So that's sort of where yep, you know what I mean. I'm like, I'm doing this thing. I got a line to learn for tomorrow. I'm not about to take the time to learn seven more pages for this other job that I don't even have. So I said no, And they started talking, and John Davis, you know, sat down with me at lunch and said, hey, man, I got a friend of mine.
Speaker 1: He's got a really good project. He told me about it.
Speaker 4: I think it'd be great for you. Give us some time, take a look at it. By the way, he's on the phone if you want to talk to it. Just gave me the phone and I'm like, hey, yeah, there you go.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Me having said like a blind no, I didn't know what the project was and who this guy was on the phone, but you know, he was like, you know, if you get a moment, take a look at it.
Speaker 1: Whatever.
Speaker 4: So I took a look, recorded the tape, hated the tape, scrapped the tape. I told him I wasn't going to turn it in and then just try to do it again. The morning before I went to set, and I just had this like and I feel back for my parents because they were in town I had to read with me.
Speaker 1: I just felt bound.
Speaker 4: I was like, I had this nastiness, you know, to me because I had this attitude of sort of feeling like my back was against the wall and I just had to do something and I wasn't happy with it, you know what I mean. So I sent this thing in like whatever, here if they want to take to send this tape and you know it probably freaking sucks, but whatever. So I sent the tape in and he called me back and he's like, I love this attitude that you have with this character.
Speaker 1: He has this like, you.
Speaker 4: Know, like he doesn't give it about anything, you know what I mean, He's just like pissed off and like, and that was how I felt in the moment, not really knowing.
Speaker 1: The lines, but trying to record this tape and it just worked, you know what I mean, it just worked.
Speaker 2: Familiar I mean, how familiar were you with the comics and all that going into it? Like yeah, I mean, which which I find fascinating because obviously, you know, going into something that has such a massive following already as like comic book nerds like myself, you know.
Speaker 1: You scary.
Speaker 2: You've got to live up to a very high standard, you know, whether it's The Boys, Umbrella Academy, Marvel, DC, you know. I mean, you've got diehards out there that live by This is like scripture to them. So whoever gets picked to play these characters, that's a lot of that's a lot of pressure, especially if you're not abreast of any of it, Like if you're going in blind not knowing anything about the series or any of that has to be a stress.
Speaker 1: What is u.
Speaker 2: You know, Like like when I was talking about the whole thing watching you know Anthony and all those things about him being you know, his you know, character being compared to the Orange Man. You know, have you experienced anything in public with like people not being able to separate you from the character, like, have you had any because it is a very all the characters are very controversial characters.
Speaker 1: They are you know, have you experienced that in public a little?
Speaker 4: But it's never been in like, you know, a pessimistic or like a bad way. Usually it's just jokingly. A lot of people ask me to race, you know what I mean, But also a lot of people, you know, ask me about like my stance on like the whole black Lives not Black Lives Matter movement and things like that, because that's what we've tackled in the last year or two. The last couple of seasons of the show has really just been like what it's like to be a black person in this multi dimensional corporation who you know, is involved in politics just as much as politics as they are business. So they're just wondering, you know, you know, how that feels to be the black character who's the only black man at the time, he was the only black hero in the seven, you know what I mean. So it's like, how does that feel? How does that work? So I've had those conversations with you know, with people and just sort of spoke about how it feels just being in the Seven versus you know, just looking around the boardroom and not seeing anyone who looks like me, although now we know that Black Noir is now you know Blair.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and okay, so yeah, I mean yeah, I mean, I just I think it's really it's really done so well because it does cover a very serious issue, you know, and it does cover and you really you really convey that so well, you know, supporting the black community as well as you know, obviously the first few seasons being conflicted, but now kind of really embracing who you are as an individual, as this character and really trying to kind of turn over a new leaf, supporting the black.
Speaker 1: Community, being being the hero that you're supposed.
Speaker 2: To be in like like that that that one scene, Like I got emotional when that scene at the hospital with the little boy, you know, after you you know that no words are said like that, just your face and your expression. You could see the turning point in that moment in this character, like no, this is this is what it feels like to be a hero.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: It's it's it's not being someone's patsy and like you know, letting the.
Speaker 1: Corporation and yeah, it's none of that. I mean personal journey.
Speaker 2: Yeah, now did you did you were you big in the sports when you were in school?
Speaker 1: Like, did you did you play any any sports or really nice? Yeah, I tried. I tried karate for all of a month and I just.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm a non contact sport guy.
Speaker 1: Golf is my thing. I'm a huge golfer. Okay, let's go play the golf is my thing.
Speaker 2: Hey, look, you can still get f playing golf if somebody shakes the ball, but chances are pretty slim, you know what I mean.
Speaker 5: But yeah, but yeah.
Speaker 1: Man, so what what do you mean? Well, are you sad that next season is the last? Like are you sad?
Speaker 2: Like do you do you feel like it's it's gonna be a great button or that you guys could could could keep going a few more seasons.
Speaker 6: Like here, here's what I'll say, and without getting anything away, of course, of course we can talk about this now because you know it's been announced, Like Eric made the announcement himself that this was going to be the last season.
Speaker 4: Yes, going into this thing, this is what we've known was always gonna happen. He said, Look, we're gonna do this thing. It's gonna be a crazy Ryan it's gonna be a five year run and then I'm gonna make my exit. So like we've known all in all that like this this series has been written out from start to finish in this way. You know, like obviously it gets catered to. You know, whatever's happening is as you said. You know, Eric is paying attention to the world around us. Heason incorporating that season the season, but the overall trajectory has always been five seasons.
Speaker 1: So we've known that.
Speaker 4: Seeing how it's grown so much, you're kind of sad that, like we going to put a cap on it, But you know, when you talk to him about it, he's so definite, and we just trust this man so much. He's he's always had something in mind that we couldn't see, and you know, we just couldn't envision and we've just been blessed to be so close to watch it come to fluition time after time. So at this point season five, you know, we're like, look, we trust you.
Speaker 1: We're not questioning it. You know, if you say that this is going to be it and everyone's going to be happy, then let's less rock and roll, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: I mean, you know the upside is you've got You've got the spinoffs, you have Geny, You've got you know, which is only going into season two, so you know.
Speaker 4: I mean the you know, everyone involved this is starting to refer to it as the Boys Universe now, so it's.
Speaker 1: Like, well it is.
Speaker 2: I mean, you you have the animated series, you have gen V going into second season, you know, and what I'm hoping is for you and for the rest of the cast. Obviously Homelander made a brief cameo in gen you know, in gen V, like hoping that there's a way to kind of cross pollinate so we get to see our favorite characters, you.
Speaker 1: Know, pop in and out.
Speaker 2: You know, love love to see a train come back and do these things, you know, and and you know, have a couple of spots, you know, because.
Speaker 1: Again like now you know, now you're rooting.
Speaker 2: For certain for certain characters that you may not have been rooting for at the beginning, you know what I mean. Like now, me personally, as a fan, I'm conflicted about about Butcher and how much I like the character now or not, you know, like okay, well you know, but but that's what's so good about the show, Like to me, it's it's I would compare the brilliance of this show to what was my previous favorite series ever, which was Breaking Bad, because to me, that's a that's a perfect show, like perfect show, start to find ending. Yeah, like, and I've seen it multiple times, but like this is, in my opinion, the same as far as just how it's been laid out, how the characters have developed, the storyline.
Speaker 1: It's very true to the comics, you know.
Speaker 2: And it's just it's just a perfect show for what this show is in this genre.
Speaker 4: All right.
Speaker 2: You know, I was, I was talking to some of the producers. I was like, you know, I guess you know. Amazon Prime is just like No Holds Barred. This is like NC seventeen, Like literally this is this is this is past rated R by far. Like when like I was just telling my producer, I'm like, have you seen the show? She's like, I've seen the first couple of episodes. I'm like, look, you have to get through the first season. It's the first season is very much so character development. Opening episode of season two, that's when you know how crazy this show is going to be.
Speaker 1: I was on tour on my bus before the show.
Speaker 2: I had a couple hours and I was with my security I'm like, dude, let's start watching season two. We watched the first episode. We stopped and we're just sitting there and I'm like, I'm gonna have this visual when I'm on stage right now of Liken.
Speaker 1: And this exploding penis Like, I'm like, what is happening right now? And I did the whole show. I'm just like chuckling to myself and no one knows why, but I know why.
Speaker 2: Nobody else knows why. Nick was like, dude, what is so funny? I'm like, no, no, you.
Speaker 1: Won't get it because I know you don't watch the show. You won't get it.
Speaker 5: Dude, that's funny.
Speaker 1: So you uh so there's there's a new show on Netflix, Pulse.
Speaker 2: Yeah, tell us about this because this is a complete shift from the from the show that is, you know what, soho tell us about the show? Like, what is your show about? So Pulse Like Heartbeat Pulse. It's a medical drama, you know, and it's it's very romantic. It's very sexy.
Speaker 4: Uh you know, me and my cast on Pulse have nicknamed it the Sexy Scrub Show.
Speaker 1: It's it's very early years.
Speaker 4: Gray's anatomy where you know, there's a lot of like intertwined relationships with them the hospital, and there's a lot of a lot of drama that happens right outside of the hospital and in everyone's lives, you know, as they sort of branch out from there. But it's it's a very procedural, total opposite from The Boys. You know, I mean to work in scrubs and I put gloves on, and I you know, I deal with kids and babies and I talk to parents about why their child isn't breathing, and you know, and there's love triangles and all that kind of stuff. And it's interesting to be able to jump in to something that, you know, the water temperature is so different than what I've been through because even I didn't notice how dark and twisted my perspective has become just working on The Boys, where you know, we'll be we'll be on set and I'll pitch a storyline that's completely dark and everyone's like, it's like, I'm.
Speaker 1: Like, what hold on, excuse me.
Speaker 4: I'm like, that's is not what we're doing. Okay, Yeah, you're right, you're right. Yeah, happy endings. Okay, happy endings are good. I forgot, but yeah, it's couple. It's coming on Netflix next year.
Speaker 1: Nice. Nice.
Speaker 2: So you already shot season one, that's all was done in the camp. Now have you guys shot season five yet or have you not yet?
Speaker 4: Writ His Room just started a couple of months ago. We won't go back to Cameron to the end of the year. Okay, Nice?
Speaker 2: Nice? Well, I mean you know, if you guys want any cameos, let me. Yeah, yeah, it would be even if I get killed, I don't care.
Speaker 1: I time to come in, dude.
Speaker 7: I mean, you know, like seeing seeing Will Ferrell, I was like yeah, Like I was like like this this was like varsity Blues moment mixed with like, I don't know, training day.
Speaker 2: It was like it was such a weird, you know, boys in the hood moment. I'm like, what has happened? Like the last person I'm thinking is going to get out of.
Speaker 1: That car is Will Ferrell. And I'm like, perfect, Okay, but you know, I mean, look, people, what I love about the show.
Speaker 4: You know they can throw those curve balls and like it doesn't make sense, but it does make sense at the.
Speaker 1: End of the day.
Speaker 4: And what I was saying earlier when I when I heard that Will fare was gonna come on the show.
Speaker 1: My first thought was we should kill Will Ferrell. I was like, see, like yeah, like because that's where the fans want to see.
Speaker 2: Like if if if I showed up on set and I had a cameo, like the true fans of the show would be like, Oh, please kill this battory boy.
Speaker 1: Please kill him in the most gruesome way possible.
Speaker 2: I don't care how you kill him, you know, pop his head whatever, like we you know, have have have a train run through him. I don't know something, but like, we gotta, we got to kill the battery where I would be honored to be killed. Yeah, dude, yeah, so you know, So what what is the day in the life of Jesse? Every day when you're off like, are like, are like, do you guys have a workout regiment? Do you guys like you know, do you guys hang out together when you're in the off season?
Speaker 1: Like you guys actually hang out from from time to time. I mean, we're all over the place.
Speaker 4: You know, a lot of our cast members are by coastals, so they live in New York and Los Angeles. The few of us that do live here, most of us aren't from here, so when we're not shooting, we go, you know, elsewhere, Like Anthony's New Zealand, Carls from New Zealand, so they both go to New Zealand a lot. But when we are here, you know, we will hit each other up at least around like birthdays and stuff like that. So at least come together and like have dinner or whatever. Maybe yeah, me and Jack went out for a drink not too long ago. You know who it's whoever's in town. Really, it's sort of how it goes.
Speaker 1: We hang out like that.
Speaker 2: I like how you said birthdays because like, yeah, that that's just there's no better word.
Speaker 1: You know. If this was Lance, he would say that's cute. No, but it is no, no, because it is. That's that's really cool.
Speaker 2: Like, you know, my I'm gonna I'm gonna put a dig on my boys because generally around birthdays, you know, I'm always the one that will call, physically call, and that's my bandmate, a happy birthday.
Speaker 1: I just get text messages and I'm like, all.
Speaker 2: Right, really, you know what, I was gonna get you something nice this year, but no, you know what, No, I'm not now, so screw you and yeah, I'm gonna see you in two days.
Speaker 1: Yeah exactly, yeah exactly. But no, But but like there is like Howie and I.
Speaker 2: We've actually known each other the longest outside of Brian and Kevin being family.
Speaker 1: They grew up together, they're actually related. But Howie and I have been friends for about thirty five years. Him and I have always made it a point.
Speaker 2: Every birthday We've gotten each other something religiously, no matter what it is nice, you know, because we are we are family, we are brothers.
Speaker 1: We've been through everything together. Yeah, you know, I'm sure, do you do you have a like a like a best friend.
Speaker 2: I don't want to call you out right now as far as the cant and send anybody off, but do you, like, is there someone in the cast that you really kind of gravitated towards the most and really kind of spend the most time with, hang out with, talk to you on set?
Speaker 4: And you know, honestly, I feel like we've we've sort of like compartmentalized our friendships on set. Like me and Lanz go out to eat more than me and anyone else on the cast.
Speaker 1: We both love food equally, you know what I mean.
Speaker 4: So He's like Hey, I found this new restaurant, Jess, without question, I'm there. Even if it's just me and him. We'll send an invite to everybody, But if no one shows up.
Speaker 1: It's fine.
Speaker 4: He and I will just go me and Carl golf together, you know what I mean. So it's like we have these things that like we each like to do. Jackets a huge fan of live music. He's got his band. They started being torn around doing songs and stuff like that. So we'll go watch like a small group, you know, performing at some underground club or something like that. So it just depends, you know what I mean. The only time that we ever all really get together is usually just like birthdays or if we've had a long week and everybody knows they need to be compressed, we'll just meet up in one spot and now.
Speaker 2: Has anybody has anybody asked you or have you offered to like cook a massive meal for everybody?
Speaker 1: Oh? Yeah, yeah, last asks me every day. I was like, Justice's the chef, bro, let's go. It's day of the day. Is there gonna be catering or or no? Or is it? Or is Jesse? Finally we're gonna walk on set and it's a Smorgas born what like, what is your like?
Speaker 2: As far as like, I feel like chef's kind of what I've learned from my from my friend Kwame is like he's so he's of night of Nigerian descent.
Speaker 1: His family's from New Orleans. His mom is also a chef. You know he is he making a movie about his life right now.
Speaker 2: You know what he might be. I don't know he might be. But once we exchange numbers, I'm gonna hook you guys up.
Speaker 1: Dude, he is. He's a huge golfer.
Speaker 2: I just got him hooked up with PHG because I've been with PHG now for about almost five years and I just got him fitted.
Speaker 1: I got him hooked up. But it's, you.
Speaker 2: Know, so his kind of cuisine, it's kind of a little bit of a Nigerian influence mixed with like euro Asian fusion.
Speaker 1: Like it's a little bit of everything.
Speaker 2: But I mean, like, I don't like seafood at all, Like sushi, I'll do. I'm not a big fish guy. His fish is like don't even tastes like fish.
Speaker 3: But is there is there a specific dish or style that you gravitate towards As far as like whatever that might be.
Speaker 4: Honestly, I don't think that I've sat down long enough to like specialize in anything other than sauces. Everybody that I ask like, yeah, everyone that I that I've ever asked, I'm like, what do you want me to make? They're always like, well, you're the sauce guy, Like you're the king of sauces, so like what can you make that saucy? So I'm like, all right, well we're doing seafood. Maybe I'll do a brain zeno. But like I'll try to find or try to create or try to think of some type of sauce as something that normally doesn't really go with the brazeno. I'll whip that up whatever and try to marry the two things together. I love saucy dishes myself, so I think that that's really where my my mind goes, you know what I mean, Like who cares about the protein?
Speaker 1: Like what am I going to do with it?
Speaker 5: You know?
Speaker 1: Into something? You know what I mean? So I mean, dude, you should do your own line of sauceage.
Speaker 2: Dude, I mean you should literally you should literally do your own line of sauces.
Speaker 1: That would be that would be something.
Speaker 2: I mean, you know, I just want five percent for bringing it up. That's all got you?
Speaker 1: You plug it in? Done? Is there is?
Speaker 3: So?
Speaker 1: Is there? Like obviously now you're doing this, you know, kind of romantic drama, hearies.
Speaker 2: I know you did, you know you You've you've done a little bit of everything. You've done, the sitcom thing, You've done different things. Is there any genre that you haven't tackled yet that you want to Yeah?
Speaker 4: I think action thrillers on my mind, you know, I've I've started started speaking that out, hoping to see what comes back in.
Speaker 1: I want to do something I want to like I.
Speaker 4: Don't even know if I can think of a reference point of what it is that I want to do, but I want it to be thriller and psychological in the way that like Shutter Island was, but with you know what I mean. Yeah, I rewatched it again and I'm like, this is this is the level of thriller. This is the level of you know, like psychosis that I want to put people in.
Speaker 2: We gotta we gotta get you at Jordan Peele, Yeah, man, Yeah, Jordan Peele would be a Jordan Peele would be it.
Speaker 5: God he is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I had I had a moment to pick his brain at some event, just for a brief minute, and I was just like, first of all, I gotta tell you, I'm a massive fan.
Speaker 1: I love everything you've done, and I love that you know.
Speaker 2: It's it's just so crazy because of stereotypes and all this bowl and all the stigmas, like you wouldn't put but in in in most people's minds, you wouldn't put a black actor in the sense of horror and like psychological thriller.
Speaker 1: Like he's such a horror buff. Like he's he's up.
Speaker 2: There with like Eli Roth and these guys, like he loves that that type of genre, and he has proven himself above and beyond that. He's like, dude, I can I can do this in my sleep. But I love that he's still he still stays true to the black culture, to the black community, has that undertone no matter what, Yeah, get out, get Out, just just blew everybody peran perfect movie.
Speaker 1: Nope, perfect movie.
Speaker 2: Like I mean it was just yeah, you and him, I think would would just do something fantastic.
Speaker 4: Maybe I'll see if I can get in contact with him. If you see him again, tell him I'm looking for him, dude.
Speaker 1: One hundred percent. I will definitely pass that alarm. Yeah for sure.
Speaker 2: So you were saying that you and your sister were fans growing up, you know time, so if you had to, so were you guys also in sync fans because everybody.
Speaker 1: Kind of had one side of the other. And yeah, we were both, we were both.
Speaker 4: But I think that like at the time, because this is when I had just started getting into like musical theater and stuff like that too, So, you know, performing, singing and dancing was like my thing more than acting.
Speaker 1: The acting things sort.
Speaker 4: Of came in, Like I was interested in doing commercials and stuff.
Speaker 1: That's sort of how I got into it.
Speaker 4: But then I discovered musical theater and singing and dancing became my thing, you know, That's how I started.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like being on stage and like you know what I mean, it's like this is this is you for It's a whole other world. I mean, like I've been dying. Broadway has been on my bucket list. I've been dying. If you haven't seen a show called n Juliet you need to see it.
Speaker 2: And Juliette it is so so Max Martin, who is the greatest songwriter of all time who is responsible for us, Brittany in Sync.
Speaker 1: I mean, you name it, everybody, the Weekend, Arianna, Pink Everybody. He did a show called n Juliette. It's on Broadway.
Speaker 2: The writers of the show are the writers from Shit's Creek, so it has that, It's got that undertone. But all the songs are all Max Martin songs. There's probably eight Backstreet songs in the show. But it's such a it's it's such a great concept. It's basically if Juliet didn't drink the poison and had a second chance on love. Because Romeo is a playboy. Romeo's Romeo a laundry list of you know, lovers. He wasn't the only one whoa dude. It is such a great show. The cast is incredible. You've got to go see it. They asked me if I wanted to do it next year, but unfortunately Backstreet is going to start getting busy again next year, so I'm not able.
Speaker 1: To do it.
Speaker 2: But the fact that it's at least being dangled means that I'm starting to move in that direction because it's something I've wanted to do since I was six years old, when I first stepped on stage at the Royal Palm.
Speaker 1: Dinner Theater in Palm Beach, Florida.
Speaker 2: You know, I I grew up with two speech impediments.
Speaker 1: I had a lisson. I had a stutter when I was when I was kid.
Speaker 2: So the first show I did was snow White and they cast me as Dopey, who's a mute.
Speaker 1: It's kind of a backward like a backhanded compliment.
Speaker 2: I guess, but like I'm like, like, what the hell, I don't get any lions.
Speaker 1: But now I see why.
Speaker 2: But my mom said I stole the show because I had to learn sign language a little bit, and I was like, you know, so, yeah, that's when I fell in love with being on stage. Then starting to do musical numbers and you know, singing and dancing and like, like you said, being behind a camera it's stop and go, stop and go and edit. Being on stage live when you there's there's no you.
Speaker 1: All you can do is run off stage if you want to.
Speaker 2: But like, it's the greatest high in the world, in the world, so in the world.
Speaker 4: Just like you're up there and you're you, you're the puppet because you're doing the performance. But at the same time, you know that like I can hold this line for a second and I have everyone, and then when I drop it, I have you, and then I can make you laugh, I can make you cry.
Speaker 1: It's just all of these things and you're just like.
Speaker 4: It's like you're connected to all of these people at one time, and they laugh when you want them to, and they stop when you want them.
Speaker 1: It's incredible. Like the feeling is insane. I'm just blown away right now.
Speaker 2: Overall, before we wrap, I just gotta say, like, we got we got a.
Speaker 1: Train number one.
Speaker 2: We have this like romantic drama free Gray's Anatomy.
Speaker 1: Yeah you do.
Speaker 2: You sing that, you dance, and you're a chef like this is, and you're a fan and you grew up on bout you boys. Like the world's about to explode, dude, Like fans, fans of this show are gonna be like wait what Like this is?
Speaker 1: This is the This is.
Speaker 2: Just so so freaking cool man, And like I I wish you all the best with everything you have coming up.
Speaker 1: Dude.
Speaker 2: I cannot wait to watch the new show. I cannot wait to watch season five. I hate that we have to wait, but you know, I get it. I know, and I'm dead serious. If if there's any way to get me to be on there to be killed, I will do it.
Speaker 1: I will drop whatever up doing. Yes.
Speaker 2: But man, thank you so much for for being on the show. If you, uh, if you want to tell everybody your your social handles, where they can follow you, where they can find you.
Speaker 4: Sure, yeah, socials and everything. Honestly, if you just look up Jesse Tesher, you'll find me. I'm the Jesse t on Twitter. But everything else is just Jesse Tesher done.
Speaker 2: And yeah, man, dude, you are a rock star. Dude, I love thank you. Man, that so much coming from you. Bro, I appreciate that.
Speaker 6: And you wait and you golf and yeah, golf, let's go, let's go play.
Speaker 1: We are we are golfing when I get back.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm not great, No, And man, it's it's more about the hangout and the and the kind of bro time.
Speaker 1: But man, I.
Speaker 2: Literally wish you all the best. You'd freaking deserve it all and I cannot wait to see more from you.
Speaker 1: Jesse. You are a rock star, man, Thank.
Speaker 5: You, thank you.
Speaker 1: I appreciate it. This has been great. Hey, thanks for listening. Follow us on Instagram at Frosted Tips.
Speaker 2: With Lance and Michael Turchinard and at Lance bast for all your pop culture needs
Speaker 1: And make sure to write a review and leave us five stars six if you can see you next time.