Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: It's an honor, it's a pleasure. Thank you guys. Everything at Covino and Rich and we're streaming live on YouTube. Watch what you hear at Covino and Rich FSR. That's CoV I, n O, Steve Covino and Rich Davis live from the Fox Sports Radio studio. And what a fun show. We're here for the next two days. It's day one of the Dan Patrick Hatrick the DP three. Always a great time. And it's also tax day man. Yeah, you always reluctant to open up to see what the return is going to be or how much you owe.
Speaker 3: Oh, the the most anxious email of a year. Right, Well, Hey, a.
Speaker 4: Lot going on.
Speaker 3: We talked a little WNBA, some unprecedented stuff there, talked some baseball, the playing games in the NBA. We talked to Mendoz a lot. If you missed any of it, all on the podcast later. But Covino, there's a guy that the minute I started following him, Yeah, I'm hooked because I'm a big baseball and a big passion I have.
Speaker 2: Oh and by the way, when Rich brings things up, I tend to do the opposite, but he was right about this guy.
Speaker 3: Cavin't rejects everything I say, but he's on board. You know, I'm way involved with coaching all my kids and there's a guy that I think is like the master the template of how you should be handling the kiddos, and that is James Low Coach ball Game.
Speaker 4: You know we got we got him on the line. Coach ball game. What's up my man?
Speaker 5: Man?
Speaker 1: We're live this and I.
Speaker 3: Know you're a big DP guy, So welcome to the Dan Patrick Show.
Speaker 4: Cavino and Rich filling in. What's up man?
Speaker 6: Well, full transparency, you know twenty eighteen Jim nance soundlike contest winner right here, James in California. And to be on the back end of the Masters and to be on your show, what an honor. I'm excited. It's Christmas morning. Let's go.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, let me tell you coach ball game. I think it's pretty cool that you get to not only work with the kiddos. Were to talk a bunch about that, and if you have any questions for coach ball game, how to handle a crazy parent or a reluctant kid or something, we'll we'll do it all with coach, Well, follow great stories.
Speaker 2: I have a rule coach ball game, and that rule is vatos don't cry. But I know you say otherwise. I know you say, hey man, it's okay. You know, let it out means your care and things like that. Vatos don't cry. And I tell you man, I saw you tell the story about Jim Abbott to these little kiddos and I was there like, oh, it's beautiful. So definitely a great follow and some great lessons. And my first question is outside looking in. I have a teenage daughter, right, but I see rich I go to my nephew's games all the time. I see friends. I saw KFC from barstool talking about this this morning. Are we putting too much pressure on not only the kids but the families when it comes to all the different travel sports and all the different leagues that they're in all the time? Like, are we concerned about family spending family time? And what about kids burning out? It seems like there's a lot of pressure involved in this nowadays.
Speaker 4: How do you view this?
Speaker 6: Yeah, well, I agree with you, and it's the reason I started a Sandlot tour where there needed to be an injection of joy and common sense into youth baseball, which is what I coach. But it's not just baseball. It's all sports, and I think it transcends sports. It goes into the homes as well. But yeah, I think a lot of its parents living through their kids. You know, my playing career didn't pan out like I wanted it to. I played four years of college, but I really wanted to play pro ball didn't happen. So as I started coaching in my twenties, I was coming from that place of I'm not really happy with how my career panned out. So there was some passive aggressive tone. There was some frustration, and that caused a lot of pressure that made kids want to quit the game. Thankfully, I had mentors that put their arm around me and they said, hey, ballgame, You've got the energy of fifty camels. But that kid hates baseball now because of your insecurity and those light bulbs kept coming. And I think that's the reason why kids don't want to play sports, especially when they get to that twelve thirteen, fourteen where it's all about travel ball and elite is because of adult anxiety. So I'm just here. Who would have thought it'd be novel let's just inject some common sense, some calm, some big picture thinking in these parents' brains and let the kids play. If you go to the Dominican Republic, if you go to Cuba, if you go to Puerto Rico, there's sandlots and there's kids playing barefoot and there's no parents, there's no coaches, and they're doing pretty good as far as pumping out Major League Baseball players.
Speaker 3: So good, you said, Dominican Republic and some of these, uh, you know, great baseball countries around the world. When you watch the World Baseball Classic and you see what the Savannah Bananas are doing, and you see what Coach ball Game is teaching kids at his camps and tour, do we need to inject more fun into baseball? I know you work closely with Jeter and Bobby with Junior, and you're an ambassador to the game.
Speaker 4: He brings a bungo to the field. I saw Coach Ball Game.
Speaker 3: There's a Fox there's a Fox promo for MLB on Fox and it said fun is back in baseball?
Speaker 4: Is that like an initiati?
Speaker 6: Ever? What it has to be? And again, how is that novel? Right? When you when you watch the WBC. What'd you notice about all the fans going there? And I got invited in. I was the only US fan at the Dominican Republic United States game, and I was there in Miami. I was the only American fan a in a July fourth man romper, but with a drum. I brought my jumbay drum and these there was drum circles all over the place four hours before the game, and these Dominican fans, they invited me in. They said, hey, come on in, let's play. There's just a joy. There's a celebration. They celebrate everything about the game. And you notice that with the players when there's home runs hit, there's bat flips. There's just this little kid joy that comes out from those Latin countries. So I try to bring that to the sandlot that I put a drum in the on deck circle. I've got this conga drum with about seventy signatures, fifteen Hall of famers, every major leaguer that I meet, I have them sign it, and I say, this brings the party to the youth space. When parents roll up, they're expecting to stare at the scoreboard and be anxious for their kids. All game long. Meanwhile, when there's a drum in the on deck circle and coaches are calling kids by nicknames and just have this body language of joy, the parents are like, well, wait a second, so this does exist, this other thing, this fun happy baseball, it actually exists.
Speaker 3: I'm so glad you said nicknames. We're here were coach ballgame Covino and rich In for Dan Patrick. I took coach ballgames advice and after work today. Late this afternoon, we have practice for my team, and I told the kids last practice, next time we hang, I want everyone to think of a couple nicknames, because we are now a team that's gonna be doing nicknames. Can you talk about the importance of what that does for a kid's confidence?
Speaker 6: Well, I mean, I think it'll work in your board meeting room today, Adults like take ten minutes, go into the lunch or the coffee room and say, hey, let's build some camaraderie here. We're a family, we're with each other every day, instead of force feeding baseball knowledge down their throats right away. Coach rich I'm not sure what your nickname is yet.
Speaker 1: But I got it.
Speaker 4: It's Alca. He got the.
Speaker 6: Rolls off the time but say, hey, I can't coach you unless I get to know you. So let's go criss cross applesauce. I'll do it with you. I'll start. My name's James. Nobody calls me James. My nicknames coach ballgame because my favorite thing to do is I love to coach kids. I love eating spaghetti and meatballs, I love playing golf, and I love playing the drums. So if my nickname wouldn't coach ball game, it might be coach meatball. And then we go around the circle and immediately these kids are like, oh, so this coach he actually cares about me. He's curious, she's curious. They want to know who I am. Then you got him. Then you can challenge him. A lot of people think, oh, he's just the fun guy. So coach ballgame must give out participation trop since he slings out nicknames. No, no, no, I only award good choices. I don't even award home runs. I give a high five, or an ad a boy or an at a girl. But I'm really looking through a lens of character development. So there can be both. It's a both, and you can sling nicknames and joy and you can also challenge and especially when you build trust with him. That's straight out of the book of Dusty Baker. Build trust. They'll do what you ask, especially if it's outside their comfort zone.
Speaker 3: Had a boy, Hey, coach ball game? Were such on the same pitch today? And that's why a great follow because I know so many people that listen to our show and Dan Patrick, they spend their weekends and their weekdays not only coaching their kids but going to games. I have questions about parents, but I do feel like I have the reputation of like, oh, there's a rich, fun time coach, but I'm, like you, a very competitive guy, and I'm always juggling the when do I turn on the competitiveness as a dad and a coach versus, Hey, let's play music, let's have fun, let's be silly. I had Let's just say I don't. Don't I want to throw people into the bus.
Speaker 4: But let's just say.
Speaker 3: I happen to have a parent come up to me because I'm going to be coaching All Stars this summer and they say, hey, man, we better have like like a winning squad, and we're not sure it's worth it, Like, how do you balance winning versus having funcus to me, Summer All Stars win, they're six, they're playing Shetland ball, pony ball. I'm thinking pool parties, running through the sprinkler, horsing around. Just to me, that's the memories the kids will have going out to lunch in between a doubleheader, Like, am I off base here?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 6: You are absolutely not. But here's the deal. There are people that look through the win at all cost lens, and how do we approach that? Well? I think you have to prioritize the joy, and then right beside it is character development. And then what is the byprice if you're challenging kids and giving out baseball cards because kids are showing up early, practicing at home, working on those skills that you've been teaching them at practice, trying to be brave, cheering for their teammates, hustling, getting down and ready, all those awesome choices at practices and games. The byproduct is skill development and wins. But it's got to be a byproduct. It can't be the only thing you're looking at. So for that type of parent, you got to tread with empathy. There's an insecure eight year old within them that isn't really happy with how their life is going, so they're living through their kids, and you know their their ego is matching up with the trophies that their kids win.
Speaker 3: Hey, coach, how do you do with a pacing dad or dad that's on the fence like just a bit much?
Speaker 4: How do you deal with that guy? I saw? I saw a type of coach ball game literally jumping on the.
Speaker 2: Fence recently because the parents are wild, dude, And that's why there's signs at the little league here in La too. Hey, parents, the kids are watching like parents need to remember that sometimes.
Speaker 6: Exactly well, I mean it should have started before the first practice where you have a barbecue and you get to know all these parents and you build trust with all these parents. I always say, bring a kickball and let the kids entertain themselves. That way you can get to know all these parents, build trust, and then you can lay out your expectations for the year. We're going to inject maturity. These kids are going to play better when they're feeling freedom and joy, not when we are hanging on the fence. But that type of parent might even after you say that or lay out those expectations, they're still going to do it throughout the season. Maybe you can take them for a cup of coffee, find out why they are they are, why why are they the way they are? And then you can drop a truth bomb on them, but do it in a way they're going to hear it. I mean it all stems from insecurity. So they're very insecure. But I've had people drop truth bombs on me that I heard because I had built trust with them, or that they had built trust with me. You can also try and bring them in and say, hey, I need you to run a wiffleball batting practice station on Wednesdays. I need that energy, but I need you to channel it to throwing wiffleballs to kids. And then they notice, you know what, this is a hard job. Uh, and these kids are they're playing better when there's a freedom to fail. I'm gonna chill out a little bit. But more than anything, you got to lead by example. They're gonna watch what you do when you when your kid strikes out in a huge moment, Coach Rich and you have this body language of I've failed in these moments too. Baseball is hard. Let's see how you respond. They're gonna it's gonna put a rock in their shoe. They're gonna be like, hmmm, why is that? Why is coach rich not throwing a fit? He should be, No, he shouldn't. So there you go.
Speaker 4: You know, coach ball game.
Speaker 3: Cavino is a big Jeter guy, so we're gonna I'm sure he has questions about your new friendship with Derek, which must be wild for you. But you know what I did not a bad piece of advice because I know a lot of little leagues and pony balls are starting around the country, you know, or they're just beginning, right. I played for my parents on the team. That video of Jeter talking to his kids in the car, which I'm sure you saw, where he's telling us kids, have fun. Hey, but I'm still Derek Jeter. We want to win, but have fun. We're We're going to be proud of you no matter what. And I was like, kids, I told the parents, I'm like, I want you to watch this video of Derek Jeter. I hate the Yankees, I'm a Mets fan, but you got to appreciate the captain's message here.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and what I love in getting to meet him, and yeah, it is pinch me moments, but it's hard to find a bona fide major leaguer that can communicate baseball. It's really hard to find a Hall of Famer that can communicate with kids. He is a savant of people and a savant of kids, and his his message is all about failure and how to respond to failure. He also talks about joy and how that's when you have this freedom to fail. That's when you make aggressive mistakes, which leads to your highest potential. Is when you're free to dive and mess up and swing and miss, that's when we learn the most. But he's all about responding to failure. And I know he had some a bit of a climb in the minor leagues as far as making defensive plays, hitting the ball, and there was a lot of failure early on. And that's all he talks about is that's the best gift we'll ever give these kids, is a freedom to fail. Let them fail, why, because that's how they're.
Speaker 5: Going to learn.
Speaker 6: Like a rory, right, I mean, how does he win the Masters last year and this year because he was so good at failing. He failed so much that he had built this resilience. So yeah, Derek Cheeter many.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know what, And he's a guy that comes from great parents, and I think that's such a big part of it, right, you know, doctor Jeter and his mom were always there. How do you handle it when you know the parents are just the worst coach ball game? Is it a coach's job to step in sometimes to help that kid?
Speaker 6: Well, I think a great way to approach it is to well, first, you got a love on the kid. Right, If that's the public display on a baseball field or a basketball court, then I can't even imagine what the car rides are like and what home is like.
Speaker 2: So sometimes that can be tough on the kid, right if other parents don't want to deal with the parents.
Speaker 6: Right, absolutely so as far as loving on the kids, you know, just make sure that this is a safe space for them. But you can't fight fire with fire. It just never works. A one on one conversation is the best way to go. I think a message gets across much clearer when it's quiet. So whenever you can just go out for a milk or a coffee with that parent and just let them know, hey, your energy and your presence is awesome. But here's what I notice, and the only reason I noticed it is because I used to do it, you've got to throw yourself under the bus too, otherwise they're not going to hear it yet.
Speaker 5: It's a good technic.
Speaker 4: It's a good technic in marriage too. By the way, coach Paul.
Speaker 6: Bang I mean. And by the way, some of my favorite messages from dads on the road is, Hey, your message has saved my relationship with my kid. I think it's also saved my marriage too, so it definitely seeps in. But yeah, having those one on one conversations is super important. And then saying, hey, I used to do this. I was living through my kid, anxious, micromanaging everything. They hated baseball and they they didn't really like hanging out with me either. That I'm noticing that with your kid when you're here, they play a lot worse. And the only reason I noticed that is because I used to do it myself. That's the secret there. I'll paint a picture with a story because storytelling is is my fave. I'm in Virginia last year and the league president he hosted my sandlot there. He said I need to say something, And this was at the coaches and parents conversation. After the sandlot, he said, my seventeen year old son who was out here today ten years ago. We're in the backyard. We're working on this skill. We're throwing a ball. We're trying to figure out this thing. And he couldn't figure it out. Weeks and weeks went by, and on a Saturday afternoon, for some reason, he did it. He finally did it. He didn't. I said, you didn't give up, dude, You finally got it. Yes at a boy. The kid looked at Dad pretty shocked, threw his glove on the ground, sprinted at Dad, tackled Dad, and he says, oh Dad, I'm just so thankful you're finally not disappointed in me.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I mean it's a big responsibility and you're the best at it. I have another question for coach ballgame on the Cavino and Rich show. You know, you could see a little ballplayer when you know, when they're in a bunch of group of kids, they all have that look about them. They're all wearing the same like outfits. Now, those shorts and the shirts, those little chains, the necklaces, the slots, sunglass baseballnglasses like they have a look now And I love that. But along with that comes with along with the outfits comes with the hype, fire bats and all the things that go along with.
Speaker 4: It, lighting gloves when they're seven.
Speaker 2: So my question is like, hey, you don't want your kids to go without. So is this building confidence or is it a waste of money? Like you, how do you view those things? Because I do like the culture side. It's part of the culture and you know it's fun for the kids. But what are your views on that?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 6: And I see it all. I see the double barrel, four hundred dollars bats, I see the oven myths, the aura and the swag because I work with I do some camps with the bananas and coach rack and kJ and they even have a station for trick plays and aura and I black and I embrace all that if you have the means for that. But at my sandlots, we share one bat, just like we.
Speaker 4: Did as kids.
Speaker 6: That's it and it's got dents all over it, gloves and usually a tennis ball. But I always tell the Roberto Clemente story, and I say, hey, this kid grew up in Puerto Rico. Uh, they used a lemon for a ball and they'd wrapped yarn around it. So womon juice wouldn't get in their eyes when they hit it. They used a stick a branch from a guava tree for a bat, and they used trash for bases, and they played all day on a farm with animals everywhere. Uh, that guy became the best right fielder of all time. So I think if you're a little bit upset that about sharing one bat in this sandlot game, well then you need to step into Clemente's shoes. There's a lot of stories like that that David Ortiz, Pedro Martinez. So yeah, at some perspective is definitely necessary. But if you have the means and you like giving things to your kids, then I'm all right with it. But I think they also that also needs to come with some perspective as far as hey, you're very fortunate.
Speaker 4: Yeah, coach ballgame.
Speaker 2: I love the clip of mo Rivero where he shows that he used to play with the piece of cardboard. Yeah right, you've seen that. I mean that is coach ball game. A couple of quickies.
Speaker 3: I know not all questions are are quick answers, but I don't want to keep you all day. I feel like I could talk to you for hours. Gary Vaynerchuk, one of our Pal's motivational speaker, Guy Gary Vee says, when you got a kid that cries, don't necessarily think it's a bad thing.
Speaker 4: That means he cares. How do you handle the emotional kid?
Speaker 3: Because I'll be honest, my kid, my son, when he doesn't hit off the blue flame and he needs to use the t or if he misses a ground ball, he gets it a little in his emotions and I'm like, buddy, come on, let's let's control that.
Speaker 4: How do you how do you handle that?
Speaker 6: Love that question, It's the most common question I get. And I start with this, I'd much rather have that kid than the kid that is oblivious. That means that kid cares. But that kid is eight. So that throwing of the helmet or that stewing in the dugout, that's just a whole lot of give a care. That kid cares. They're just not mature enough to put, you know, respect the game or respect you as a parent in that moment. They just care a lot. I've got two daughters, and one of them really gets upset and embarrassed when they fail, and a lot of that is due to they don't want to let their team down. I remember being eight years old. I remember making a bad throw. I remember crying and my dad coming into the dugout and saying, okay, son, we care, we want to compete, and we want to make sure that our teammates like us. What do you do well? I don't know that it's the parent's job in those moments. I'm a big fan of the professional pass off. Like, hey, coach Rich, coach Steve, my kids respect the heck out of you. When they're throwing a fit or they can't hustle out a groundball at first base, will you have a chat with them. I think it'll land better.
Speaker 4: That is a That is a great tactic.
Speaker 3: We do that on my team, Like I coach with the guy Oliver, and Oliver handles it.
Speaker 4: Hey, like, I guess it's your kid. They don't you know.
Speaker 6: We've been begging him to brust their teeth and make their bed their whole life. So you know, you got to save those bullets a little bit. And I think professional pass off is great. Teach him to breathe in the moment. That's a big one. Some kids just need you to get mad with them. You know what, I'm mad with you, Bud. Some kids need humor, but ultimately the life lesson of how to respond and give them tools. The game is never life or death. But in ten years they're about to make a terrible decision because it's been failure after failure after failure. But then they text their coach that when they were eight years old and they say, Coach rich Man, I just I was thinking about you, and you taught me how to overcome adversity. Appreciate that, man, Like that's coaching. That's awesome, That's that's your job.
Speaker 2: Well, you know what, man, we could talk to you all day for sure, and you know we're gonna have to do this again and we're gonna hold you to it. So I want people to follow Coach Ballgame. James, though, thank you so much for being on the show. We love what you're doing.
Speaker 4: Man, You've got a little eager pony ball.
Speaker 3: People can hit you up right and see if the if their league wants to bring you to their town.
Speaker 4: You do that, correct, That.
Speaker 6: Is your Absolutely, I'll hit like sixty cities a year. That's the max. Missus Ballgame says, Okay, no more than sixty. We need you around the house a little bit, but yes, reach out and I'm easy to find. But I'll be all over the United States and we're even going to the UK next year. Look out for that.
Speaker 2: No Rich and I watched you at the All Star Game with all those kids. It was fantastic to see, man. So yeah, guys, make it happen if you can pretty Coach ball game.
Speaker 4: Thank you, Coach.
Speaker 2: I'm the Cavino en Rich Show in for Dan Patrick. Have a great one, man, If.
Speaker 4: You got more next right here on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 3: Hey, it's Rob Parker and Kelvin Washington from The Odd Couple on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 7: And in addition to hearing us live week nights from seven to ten pm Eastern on Fox Sports Radio, we are excited to announce brand new YouTube channel for the show.
Speaker 3: That's right, you can now watch The Odd Couple live on YouTube every day.
Speaker 7: All you gotta do search Odd Couple FSR on YouTube. Again YouTube, just search Odd Couple FSR. Check us out on YouTube and subscribe.
Speaker 2: Coach Ball Game the best. Thanks again to James Low for stopping buying. Definitely give him a follow. He's got the blueprint and I work with these little nose pickers and yeah, man, it's getting expensive. My sister is always complaining because my nephew wants all these goofy shorts that these kids are wearing.
Speaker 4: Now they look like ice cream. Yeah, a little tacos on them. And they got this baseball look. Yeah, all the culture.
Speaker 2: But it's so much fun and it's just so great to see that baseball's back. Baseball's popping and we're here for it. He can't hate on it. I mean, you're right.
Speaker 3: We all shared the same Eastern big barrel in your head, you shack magic bro. We shared helmets in my little league. I don't know about you, right, I mean yeah, they have my own helmet.
Speaker 4: Every kid's got their own helmet. They've got their name on it and everything.
Speaker 3: Highlight reels. Six year olds have sliding gloves. Crazy dude, they got they got custom Jordan cleats.
Speaker 4: No, it's no, it's next level.
Speaker 5: Do we do it?
Speaker 2: Thank you again to coach ball Game. We are Coveno on Arch. Thank you for hanging out with us, Covino and rich In for Dan Patrick again We're on Monday through front nationwide and if we're not hit up the affiliates shout out to all the affiliates five to seven on East, two to four on the West. For over forty years, Tyreck's been helping customers find the right tires for how, what and where they drive. Shipped fast and free back by free Road has a protection with convenient installation options like mobile tire Installation, tire rac tiraq dot com with tire buying should be right.
Speaker 4: Now, it's time for Midweek Major.
Speaker 1: Let's do it, Coveno and Rich get you over the middle of the week when at mid Week Major Major, Oh, I love that we throw sports and pop culture headlines and topics at the fellas and it's like the kids.
Speaker 6: Say, that's summit. We definitely major.
Speaker 1: See it our score Midweek Major?
Speaker 8: Ah Yeah, I gotta go quick here to give Iowa Sam at least seven minutes for this before we hand things over to the number one and only fill in host of this, we like to roll the two big red love dice over there in the main studio.
Speaker 5: This is to see who gets first tape.
Speaker 2: Why a your Love Day extra sticky this week, Danny eleven.
Speaker 9: All right, good luck rich Now Rich roll, that's a ten count right, Well, sorry ten, I'm not gonna beat it.
Speaker 4: No eight, you win.
Speaker 8: All right? Codino gets to go first, and now the most famous person besides Brian Belleweezer from Iowa City, Iowa, Iowa.
Speaker 4: Say hey, Sammy, get into it. Bro, let's get into this.
Speaker 9: Danny brought up the playing games, the NBA playing games, and our one. Let's stay with professional basketball, but we head overseas. You guys know Jay Cole, Grammy Award winning rapper, But did you know he had a professional basketball career in China and China? China, China. It only lasted one game. Cole was supposed to play in at least three games with the Nanjing Nanjing Monkey Kings, but due to delay and obtaining a work visa, he was one and done with the club. A little bit of backstory here. Cole played high school basketball in North Carolina and before this one game stint in China, he also played professionally in Rwanda and Canada. J Cole musician and basketball Globe trotter. Midweek or major, it's.
Speaker 4: Mid it's something.
Speaker 2: Not the greater story, but it's pretty cool that he was good enough, but we knew he had some skills. We've heard the legend. We knew he tried out. But there's some good players that have played in China. They're competitive. Stephan Marbury played in China when he was done in the NBA. The Starberry's the sneakers.
Speaker 4: Look.
Speaker 2: The fact that he's multi faceted, multi talented is cool, but it's not major.
Speaker 3: But perhaps then man, he has a love for the game. I agree, it's mid but not like not like bid story Sam. I do think it's cool when you see someone that has talents in other places because and passion. Know, sometimes you'll see a musician like, yeah, they can't ball. When you see someon of the can ball, you're like, all right, so all right, not only talented there, you're talented there. He's played in I believe, like celebrity charity games and maybe even an All Star celebrity games.
Speaker 4: So Jake Cole's got some skills. I like it, all right, guys.
Speaker 9: Moving on, Guy Fieri, the sometimes misunderstood, often beloved mayor of Flavortown. I'm sure Guy was feeling misunderstood after last Saturday night. We go to UFC three, twenty seven in Miami. Lots of celebrities there, including mister Fieri and No Shock. Everyone has their phone out recording Guy and he's captured greeting and briefly exchanging pleasantries with the Tate brothers, Andrew and Tristan Tate. If you don't know who these dudes are controversial just my opinion. I don't think you're missing much. Their influencers podcasters in the so called manisphere, but they've said and been accused of a lot of bad stuff about women in their place in society. So after this video of Guy greeting the Tate Brothers got out, apparently fury erupted online enough outrage that Guy had to release a statement on social media that he didn't even know who these dudes were prior to meeting them and that he doesn't support them in any way. He said he felt devastated after reading about the outrage to this viral moment Guy Fieri getting raked over the coals for appearing in a video the infamous Tate Brothers.
Speaker 4: Midweek or major.
Speaker 2: I think it's a major story because people are out of their minds about the manosphere. As Steve Covicular Cavino. I think I have some perspective on this. And even though these dudes in the manosphere, these misogynistic type of dudes, with this reputation, they're big in that world. We can't expect Guy Fietti, who has a life and he's a business modil, to know who they are. Are we serious about that? Like, yeah, a lot of us may know who these dudes are, but Guy Fietti, we expect him to know.
Speaker 4: He's above this, He's bigger than this.
Speaker 2: I don't expect Guy Fieri to know get off his what I say before being back here, Well.
Speaker 4: Leave Guy Fieri alone. I think it's major too. I I'm a big fan of guy. In fact, it's a great dude.
Speaker 3: Not to name drump, but he's a pell I've I've been places with Guy Fiertti.
Speaker 4: Trust me. Everyone wants to bro hug that guy. Give him a hug, take a picture.
Speaker 3: We went to the Super Bowl together one year, and getting anywhere with that guy is impossible.
Speaker 2: And he's just trying to be nice. Right He's walking out a UFC event.
Speaker 3: People are dapping them up, giving them bro hugs, exchanging pleasantries. He doesn't know Tape Brothers are misogynistic buffoons too many, and Guy Fiertti should be off the hook here.
Speaker 4: I'm a fan.
Speaker 3: Is he gonna have to do a press conference on the steps of City Hall of Flavortown.
Speaker 9: No, he released a statement. He actually had a like a media appearance that had to be canceled because of this geez with a sparkling water company. But yeah, it's unfortunate. I'm a big Guy Fierti fan, and I don't think. Yeah, he didn't know who they were and he was just taking what's up.
Speaker 4: He was probably just being cordial and that's about it. Yeah, all right, let's move on here.
Speaker 9: Last Sunday was a Master's win for Rory McElroy, his second consecutive championship in Augusta. It was also a big win for CBS's ratings, despite some criticism for how the network executed the broadcast, but Sunday's final round of the Masters was the most watched final round in eleven years. The broadcast average almost fourteen million viewers, which was up eight percent from last year's final round. At its peak, this past Sunday's broadcast had over twenty million viewers, the most since twenty thirteen. Rory McElroy, the Golden Goose of television ratings Midweek or Major writing baby rating.
Speaker 4: Old baby gold gold. This is major gold.
Speaker 2: Jerry got major, the first to repeat since Tiger. Right, he had his moment. All those people were watching. The guy could pull a crowd. Golf is popping. I think in a world of oversaturated choices, you know, so many streaming services, so many things to watch, so many things to do, the fact that that many people were tuning in says a lot.
Speaker 4: That's major.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think it's major as well. I'm I'm not a golf guy. I don't have enough chilling me yet. At this stage of my life. I need, as I said, I need my sports with anxiety. I need to be pacing in the ninth inning. I need to be fourth and short as my team to convert. Golf is too chill for me, but man, the masses love it, and I'll get there one.
Speaker 4: Day when I'm a little little more chill, maybe my senior years.
Speaker 9: And Nielsen has this new way of capturing ratings where it's not just you know, the sampling at homes, it's also like streaming devices. So this is they're saying, you know, one of the more realistic, accurate depictions of how many people are actually tuned in for this thing.
Speaker 4: Those are some big numbers. People love it and congrats to the Masters.
Speaker 3: I did see CBS, you said, criticism, but they weren't getting the angles for certain shots.
Speaker 9: It was they were saying when there was a live shots and they were actually had taken place like six or seven minutes ago. People were saying, I could follow this on the app. The feed is much more up to speed. And you know, even Jim Nance had to come out and kind of defend the Master's coverage because usually Master's coverage on CBS is like it's rated as like one of the best events all year in sports.
Speaker 4: Everyone's a critic.
Speaker 9: So this year maybe they bungle a little bit and some of them they were tracking some of the shots and they kind of lost track ofs on the balls.
Speaker 4: So on more quickie samburuwa, what do you got? Oh, we can do a quick one here, real quick.
Speaker 9: So as Danny he talked about an hour one the heat fell to the Charlotte Hornets. And you remember that guy Bam out of Bayo, I don't know about a month ago.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he had eighty three points in a game. Remember that guy.
Speaker 9: Yeah, but he had to leave at like the beginning, about the beginning of the second quarter. Because the man who would end up being the hero in that Hornets game, I forgot his name, LaMelo Ball. He kind of tripped up Bam out of Bayo. As he was falling out of Bam falls hard injures his back and after the game, Eric coach Eric Spolster for the Heat was not happy. He said the ref should have caught that. He said that, you know, LaMelo Ball should have been ejected from the game and he wouldn't be able to have that game winning layup late in the game, late in overtime. So coach Spolstro is looking at a LaMelo Ball is the villain, when Hornets fans are looking at LaMelo Ball as the hero.
Speaker 2: Midweeker, major, this is major. It was a big game last night. Danny g was on the edge of his seat. I was tuned in, and you know, LaMelo Ball is just one of those guys that garners a lot of critics.
Speaker 4: He's a bit polarizing sometimes.
Speaker 2: Did you see that play he made recently where he had a clear layup but then just went for the three. I was like, what are they doing? What's going on here? So Exposure has every right to be mad. I mean his star player. Are you just mad that you invested a lot in their sneaker brands? Yeah, with his dad, with his dad.
Speaker 5: And yeah.
Speaker 9: For his part, LaMelo apologized twice after the game. He just said he was you know. Sposter said he was frustrated, and LaMelo made a frustrated play.
Speaker 4: It was it was in.
Speaker 3: The moment like, oh, I probably wish you didn't do it, kind of swiped out his foot as he was falling in about you don't.
Speaker 4: Want injury key moments like this and key moments of the season. So that's why I'm saying major. Was he also the ball brother that's responsible for six seven? Yes? Then I hate him?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 4: Alright, thank you? I was Sam, appreciate you. Thank you for a little midweek Major. Uh.
Speaker 3: Now we got more Coveno on Rich coming up, recap a couple of things we went over today.
Speaker 2: We got to talk about things that you thought you'd never do again. It involves the Orioles manager and something he's doing perfect right. We got that and more seeing Aren't right here on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at Foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app. Search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 3: Covino and Rich remember the name as the great Yogi Berra once said, get late early.
Speaker 4: What a fun show.
Speaker 3: Today, Really a great day one of our Dan Patrick Patrick always an honored film for DP.
Speaker 4: It was great to talk to our buddy coach ballgame.
Speaker 3: Had some fun conversations about everything from Fernando Mendoza to the w NBA Draft and the fun angle that there are two women that date that are now teammates.
Speaker 2: And somehow we excited talking about Anna Russini and Rabel.
Speaker 4: Amazing, right, you know, amazing? You know what.
Speaker 5: You guys actually get gold stars?
Speaker 2: Huh?
Speaker 4: I know, we shaid.
Speaker 3: Can I ask you one question to wrap up the whole Rabel Danna Orsini thing?
Speaker 4: Can I tell you about True Green first?
Speaker 3: Of course, because you know I care more about my lawn and flowers than I care about.
Speaker 4: You this kind. It's more time telling me about his rose garden. Well do yeah, man.
Speaker 3: It's great when you're hyped up crazy man, when you're hyped up stress.
Speaker 4: Guy like me. M M it's all over the place. How do you think I get my chill?
Speaker 2: Well, I'll tell you what your Your lawn does look good True Green. They'll waste another weekend doing your lawn care. Lawn care yourself. Partner with the official lawn care treatment provider of the PGA Tour and get a golf course quality lawn the easy way. Sign up at truegreen dot com. Then sit back and relax.
Speaker 3: You know, is it is it wild for me to tell you that I will pick weeds out of my neighbors lawn. Sometimes I'll walk around the block and someonell have the like a big ass weeds sticking out of the lawn.
Speaker 4: I'm like, what if take care, have some pride bothers me.
Speaker 5: It's a little weird.
Speaker 4: Maybe be a little weird.
Speaker 5: Yeah, get off my lawn right.
Speaker 3: Let me let me give you one thought about the Diana Versini Mike Rabel thing. And it's weird because we like her and she's cool, always been cool to us. Former co worker, I like Diana, yeah, and see was like a cool dude. Everyone likes Coach Rabel. There is a difference now, Danny G. You said your boy Clay Travis put out on social media.
Speaker 2: I thought we were just patting ourselves on the back, like Barry Horwitz for not bringing her up.
Speaker 3: Because I just think there's I think there's I think there's one. There's one thought that there's two thoughts.
Speaker 9: Actually I'm taking star away, like we're not talking about it, but let's talk about it.
Speaker 4: I'm right, I'm writing his name on the board. Well, you're taking away my scratching sniff, no scratching sniff, strauwberries Mike Rabel.
Speaker 3: People are saying, like, is it a double standard as to like why no one's bothering him because as a coach anything, if if he did anything with Diane Orsini inappropriate, that's just more of his own moral compass.
Speaker 4: Doesn't effect.
Speaker 5: His job is to win games.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, her job is to report on the NFL, so there may be some.
Speaker 2: It's the word insider that really puts her in a bad position, because if she just was a reporter for the NFL, or just like cover the NFL, or just one team or one team, or like she was just a talking head on a TV show, insider, No, no, no oh, it's just the term insider that really makes it look bad because she's supposed to have the scoop, but it's like, you know, now, the speculation on how she's getting the scoop, it works against her working against that's all the NFL.
Speaker 8: The questions about A. J. Brown and Max Crosby reporting, you know, those fan bases are asking questions.
Speaker 3: Well, my question to you is what would it take for you to believe Diana Varsini and and coach Rabel Like I want to believe him because they seem like two people that I've only had good experiences with, like and I don't want to be a gossip b b like gives who gives what they did? What would it take for you to be?
Speaker 5: Like?
Speaker 4: Yo?
Speaker 3: Dan Orsini stepped away from the athletic in the New York Times because she needs to smoke to clear and she's talented. She'll find another gig, which sucks. She's gonna has to do this the best at what she does, for sure. But here's the question, what would it take for you to believe her? Because I feel like sometimes the public makes up their mind.
Speaker 4: People want to see the pictures.
Speaker 8: What do they want to see, like the pictures of the other people that she said were there.
Speaker 4: But here's the question.
Speaker 2: Speaking of who was hired or who hired that person to take the picture.
Speaker 3: But here's the question, Danny, you're asking for other pictures. It's not like she supplied the pictures.
Speaker 8: No, I'm not asking for it. Did She came out though, rich and said we weren't there alone. So why aren't those people sticking up for her?
Speaker 5: Right now?
Speaker 4: Yeah, that is the only good point.
Speaker 3: But I'm saying, like, when it's like, present me the picture, she might be like, I have no pictures. The pictures you're seeing are for some loser spy, right, Okay, Well.
Speaker 2: You couldn't resist yourself, could you see what you did? You a little jerk. Now you gotta talk about Craig Albarez tomorrow. I want to leave you time for tomorrow.
Speaker 3: We'll see you then, Ariba there you Maybe we'll see you in the Promised Land.
Speaker 4: Thank you, Dan Patrick by guys