Speaker 1: This is Bloomberg Business of Sports. Business of Sports can be intimidating for hard for starting to break into.
Speaker 2: We really appreciate where our owners are actually there, you know, with us through the journey.
Speaker 3: Teams ours especially been very intentional to diversify at all levels of the Companyshybe. We're in the golden years for the NFL and college football.
Speaker 2: Our demographic reach has continued to expande.
Speaker 3: This is going to be really unlocking the streaming platform for sports fans.
Speaker 4: Sports evaluations arising.
Speaker 1: We'll see when they peak.
Speaker 4: You don't have to be the best in your sports and make a whole ton of money.
Speaker 1: Bloomberg Business of Sports from Bloomberg Radio. Hello world, This is the Bloomberg Business of Sports show where we explore the big money issues in the world of sports.
Speaker 3: Sound like well, I'm.
Speaker 2: Scarlett Foo and Tidi Meansas hour on the lineup.
Speaker 1: Today, it's official w NBA team is coming to the Bay Area. The Golden State Valkyries were announced as the latest sticks team for the increasingly popular league, the WNBA's first expansion team since two thousand and eight, with more teams on the horizon.
Speaker 2: And so joining us later in the program to discuss what this means for women's basketball, for the city of San Francisco, and for the team itself. Is Jess Smith, president of the newest WNBA franchise, the Golden State Falkyraz.
Speaker 5: Being the thirteenth expansion team is a big deal and we take it with a great responsibility. And the fact that it is the Bay Area for us is something that we wanted to lean into. When you think of the Bay Area inside and outside of it, you know, it's the place where being progressive and innovative, you know, is part of the everyday culture there and often leading the world.
Speaker 3: Plus, we can't talk about the WNBA without mentioning their biggest newest star, Kaitlyn Clark. Bloomberg's Ira Budewagh joins us later to explain how the Caitlin Clark effect comes at a critical moment for the league.
Speaker 1: That is straight ahead on the Bloomberg Business of Sports Show. But first, the NFL release they're much anticipated schedule for the upcoming season this past Wednesday, and there are two games that is generating headlines. Can you hear right now Damien rubbing his hands. That's him being.
Speaker 2: Excited, but.
Speaker 1: Not for the reasons you may think streaming giant Netflix is continuing its major strides into live sports programming, announcing it will stream two football games on Christmas Day this year, with the defending Super Bowl champs Kansas City Chiefs taking on the Pittsburgh Steelers and the Houston Texans taking on the Baltimore Ravens. With more on that major streaming deal, we are joined by Bloomberg Entertainment reporter Lucas Shaw. Lucas, Welcome to the Bloomberg Business of Sports.
Speaker 4: Great to be here in person.
Speaker 1: Well, there's gonna be a lot of fights this Christmas. Think about it. I mean, is one thing for Thanksgiving? You know, when the Lions play Thanksgiving and the Cowboys play Thanksgiving and the Packers play on Thanksgiving, it's accepted. We're just easing into this Christmas thing. And now this big deal has been announced.
Speaker 4: Well, I'm someone who looks forward to basketball on Christmas every year. Yeah, So, I'm sure the NBA is livid that the NFL is once again trying to claim another night because I think that as NFL claims more days of the week and more times of the year, they're just stealing inventory from other sports. Because it's the most powerful sport in the US and they can. And this is another case where you know, they've added another partner. And I think if you were to ask, say Amazon, which thought they were the sort of streaming partner for the NFL, they'd be pretty frustrated that suddenly Netflix has a couple of games.
Speaker 3: So the lesson here is there are no exclusive partnerships with the NFL. The NFL does whatever it wants.
Speaker 4: That I think the last thing you said is the key part. Yes, the NFL does whatever the heck it wants at all times, and there's nothing that anyone can do about it.
Speaker 3: What happened to Netflix saying, oh, no, we're not interested in live sports, Well.
Speaker 4: They've been softening on that. They ever since they introduced their advertising business a couple of years ago, they've started to also invest in live events. You know, they had a live comedy special from Chris Rock. They had a live reunion of the hit show Love Is Blind. They've just did some live comedy out of this comedy festival in LA and that has done. You know, they had a celebrity golf event, they had a one off tennis It's obvious to anyone looking at it that if you're trying to build an advertising business, and that means you want to have live programming. The most valuable live programming in the world is sports, and I think they're just trying to slow walk it because they don't want to make it sound like they're going to start bidding billions of dollars for live sports rights, because they don't think Wall Street wants to hear them say that, and they don't believe that that's the most efficient use of their capital. But if they can find some of these one off events to do to try to kind of build up their portfolio, they seem happy to test it out.
Speaker 2: Lucas, I'm a Jeff fan, and I'm going to be We're all sorry. I've got six primetime games that I have to find on television this shield and I have Amazon, ESPN, Netflix, Peacock. I mean there's prime Time, there's ABC. How do I figure all this out? First of all? And secondly, you know, for you know you Cowboy and forty nine er fans who also have six primetime games, we're the only three. Talk to me a little bit about what this means going forward. Is there going to be any sort of directive from the NFL itself to kind of guide us on our Sundays, on our Thursday nights. So I mean, how do we know where to go? I mean, I just don't know where to go anymore. There's so many options out there.
Speaker 4: Did you really struggle to figure out where to watch the Jets last year?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 2: I didn't really, but I mean most Thursday nights Thursday nights between the NFL network, and some of these got a little.
Speaker 4: Skylight for it. I take the question because there is some frustration that the NFL keeps slicing and dicing the schedule and bringing in new partners, and so it feels a little bit like.
Speaker 2: But transparency, Just show us where to go, like you know, I mean, like you know, give us the slate, you know, or give us a pack. Is there any way they can provide their audience with a package?
Speaker 3: Well?
Speaker 4: I think I guess football to me feels somewhat straightforward, only in that they are the main packages. You know where to go? Right? Okay, So if you look at the regular season schedule, Fox and CBS have the still the lion's share of the games. Between the two of them, they have the vast majority of the games on Sunday morning Sunday afternoon, depending on what part of the country that you live in. Sure, if you want to do Red Zone Sunday ticket, you go to YouTube. That was always a separate package. I think that's fine because that's just a separate experience. Monday Night football has been around forever. The newer ones are Thursday, the occasional Saturday, and then this Netflix thing is just Christmas. I think the one that really freaked people out was Peacock with the playoffs, because suddenly you had to sign up for another service to access it. It seems like it was a big success.
Speaker 3: The playoffs are different from the regular season. That just becomes an added wrinkle here for Damian, I mean, I know it's not an issue for you with the Jets.
Speaker 4: Lucas, I'm glad you said it because thanks Carlett, you know that dagger in the side of it.
Speaker 2: But Lucas, I mean here the thing you know, I mean for me? You know you just said success and how do you define success? Yes, successful from the perspective of the NFL, But I mean pet of Peacock, okay, but how can exactly but how long can they continue this with this audience? I mean, look, I know NFL's the greatest sport on Earth, but you know, content is king. I mean, but if you can't find it and people are just not happy with the way you're presenting it, doesn't that count for something.
Speaker 4: Look, the NFL had I think the best ratings it's ever had last year, so it doesn't seem like it's hurting interest in the sport all that much, which is why the league feels comfortable doing whatever it wants to do. There may come a point at which people get frustrated by it, and you've seen in less popular sports the effort to create these other packages, right like Baseball created like Friday Evening with Apple and Sunday Morning, which it was initially with Peacock. Now it's on Roku, Like nobody's watching that package. Nobody cares. But football, the fandom is such that I think they feel they can keep carving out these games. There may come a point at which people get frustrated by it, but I would argue that their media partners are probably going to get frustrated before the fans, because the issue becomes if they have a bunch of games on services that people don't want to sign up for right, But Netflix doesn't feel like that. It presents that issue to me because Netflix is a service that basically everybody has, and you're gonna have plenty of people who open that service on Christmas Day and are happy to find football. And it's worth noting. I guess we are not hitting the peak in interest right. This is creating a new day to watch football, which I think for football fans is great. Maybe not for other people in their lives.
Speaker 1: Well, see that brings up a problem another. As I said, we're going to go back to a lot of fights on Christmas because Christmas this year falls on a Wednesday, and if you are an out of your mind fantasy football nut, you're going to be watching both of those games. I can just see Grandma right now, turn that TV off and come and eat your dinner. I can see this happening. But hey, they're the NFL.
Speaker 4: I think they can get away with doing it. To me that the losers in this or the NBA and some of the other networks, some of the other networks that are mad that they didn't get it. But to your point, they picked a couple of good games. The audience f it's gonna be.
Speaker 1: Huge that was Grandma falling over? Right?
Speaker 2: Well, yeah right, you know, Lucas, you know, we keep saying this, Scarlett said that, you said it, even Michael's alluding to it. You know, the NFL can do anything it wants, right, And you know, I'm wondering when we say the NFL can do anything at wants, who are we really talking about? Because I look at for you know, the schedule is just released, and who is the odd man out is the NFL and by the NFL is at Roger Goodell? Is it?
Speaker 4: You know?
Speaker 5: Wayne?
Speaker 2: I mean who are the ownerses of matters? Who who makes the decisions here? Who is running the NFL these days?
Speaker 4: Well, Goodell is the commissioner, so he's running the NFL.
Speaker 2: So he picks that Carolina and David Tepper od man at.
Speaker 4: Well that you know, Brian Rolap runs the media business and so he's having a lot of those negotiations. And then you have obviously they Goodell ultimately serves at the whims of the owners, and you have certain owners who are more influential and powerful than others, of course, but it's a good question. I don't know. I don't know who makes the decision to David Tepper's.
Speaker 3: Poor David Tepper. I don't think anyone's ever said those words together.
Speaker 4: It would be helpful for him if the team were good, which.
Speaker 2: It's not so exactly.
Speaker 3: So, Lucas, what does this mean for MLB? You mentioned that they're working on a partnership with Roku and they already had one with another streamer that you know, you said nobody cares. Do the other leagues look at this and say, this opens up new opportunities for us or do they look at this and say, great now the NFL is just hgging up everything for itself.
Speaker 4: Well, look, the NFL opening up Netflix as a buyer is good news for all the other leagues.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 4: The NBA tried to get Netflix in and its its current negotiations, and they had some meetings but it didn't go.
Speaker 3: Very so that's not happening then.
Speaker 4: No, No, the NBA is going to do has a deal in place basically with Disney and Amazon. They're negotiating with between Comcasts and Warner Brothers Discovery for a third package. It's a little fluid, but Netflix is almost certainly not gonna have any NBA rights, But the NFL prying that open as an option is certainly good for other sports. The issue that other sports have relative to the NFL is just the NFL has has this scarcity where there are only a certain number of games a year and they only get played once a week. Baseball. I mean, obviously they are multiple games during the week, but each team only plays once a week.
Speaker 3: Any given Sunday.
Speaker 4: Idea Baseball's problem. And look, I'm a big baseball fan. I care about baseball more than I care about football. But they people people play, they're too many games. Yeah, you know, I'm a diehard baseball fan, but I don't I'm not watching every game this week or when I'm when I'm in New York. You know, I follow it on my phone. I know the Dodgers lost last night, but I'm not needing to walk every game. And so the media rights and the value that each game has is last I mean, the NFL sold these games to Netflix for about seventy five million per regular season game. I mean, what would a one baseball game go for? Maybe a million dollar, I don't know what the number is. But these packages that they've done with the company like Roku, they're not huge packages.
Speaker 1: Thank you very much, Luca Shall for joining us here on the Bloomberg Business of Sports. We really do appreciate it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, thank you for having me.
Speaker 1: Hey Up. Next on the show, Bloomberg's Ira Boodway joins us to tell us how the star power of Caitlin Clark has become the business boom for the WNBA had a straight ahead on the Bloomberg Business of Sports Show. I'm Michael Barr along with Scarlett Food and Damian Safsawerg. This is Bloomberg. This is Bloomberg Business of Sports from Bloomberg Radio. Welcome back to the Bloomberg Business of Sports Show, where we explore the big money issues in the world of sports. I'm Michael Barr along with Scarlettfuo and Damian Sasaur.
Speaker 6: The twenty twenty four WNBA drafts number one overall pick here to Indianapolis.
Speaker 2: Please welcome Caitland Clark.
Speaker 1: Unless you've been living under a rock, you have certainly heard the name. Caitlyn Clark, the all time college basketball leading scorer for both men and women's college hoops and number one overall pick in this year's draft, is already making her mark in the WNBA on and off the court. Ticket sales way up, viewership, way up. She was on Saturday Night Live. Celebrities are talking about her, and players are traveling on chartered flights. As our Ira Budway puts it, the Caitland Clark effect is real. So joining us now to discuss the Caitland Clark effect is Bloomberg News Business of Sports reporter Ira Budway. Iirah, thank you, sir for joining us on the bl Business and Sports.
Speaker 4: Thanks for having me.
Speaker 1: She's the one that they are always going to after the game for right now, but as time progresses and the WNBA season is young, we're going to see more of her and she's going to be back in her group when she was back in college.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think so.
Speaker 6: I think everyone says that she's the real deal, that it's not just hype. And I don't think you, you know, are the all time leading scorer in college and the all time leading three point shooter in college if you don't have some real talent, So, you know, I think where the ceiling is remains to be seen, but the floor is high.
Speaker 3: A lot has been made about how much money she's potentially giving up by moving from college sports college basketball to the professional league's the WNBA, because of the rookie salary, the first year salary for players. Why is this a red herring? Why is this not the real story?
Speaker 6: Well, you know, it's interesting because of course pay in college doesn't come from your school, at least not technically, right. Any money you're going to get in college is basically a marketing agreement of sponsorship deal. They call it nil name image likeness at the college level, but it's really the same thing at the professional level. So Caitlin Clark was making millions as a player with the Iowhawkeyes. She's going to continue to make millions as a player in the WNBA. It's just that most of that money will come from her marketing partners, Nike, Gatorade, and so forth. State Farm. She's not taking a pay cut as some suggested, But it is true that her salary with the Indiana Fever is really small. It's about seventy six thousand dollars.
Speaker 2: So all right, let's talk a little bit about Caitlin Clark's impact on sports gambling, because when she was with the Hawkeyes, if I'm not mistaken, one of the statistics in front of me, the amount of gambling that went on on the Iowahawkeyes on Caitlin Clark on their team to win, etc. Was through the roof. Are we seeing some similarities now that she's moved to the WNBA into the Indiana Fever.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean I got a pitch from a gambling house to handle the amount bet on her first game was the most ever for WNBA wo they'd seen, And I think that's just one more indicator of the interest that she drives. So you see it in ticket sales, you know, for the Indiana Fever, they're going from about four thousand people attending per game to they think capacity crowds probably about seventeen thousand for most games. And you see it in ratings, you know, she drew millions to watch Hawkeyes games, way above what the records had been before. You see it in merchandise. Dick's Sporting Goods is selling her gear nationwide, which they've never done for WNBA player before. So betting is just one more way in which people follow her more than they ever have a women's basketball player.
Speaker 2: Well, right, let's just crystallize this for the sharps out there. I'm looking at the odds to win the WNBA MVP this year, right, and obviously I Wilson of the Las Vegas Aces, she's the chance up bringing champion. The Libby's Brianna Stewart is second, but then Caitlyn Clark number is third at plus nine hundred. Are we seeing maybe the fact that people are getting a little too hyped up with Caitlyn Clark for her to be in third for the MVP running in this year's I mean, is is that realistic? Is that logical? Does that make any sense in the world we live in?
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 6: I think it's you know, you would see this with Tiger Woods whenever you see a sort of transcendent figure in sports, and she's been compared to Tiger Woods. Michael Jordan's so great for the books, Yeah, yeah, great for the great interest in betting on her. You know people are gonna probably yeah squares are going to take that bet, but who knows. I mean, her talent is pretty pretty.
Speaker 3: Amazing, and her arrival on the scene at the WNBA is perfect timing because this is a league that has done better, but let's face it is still kind of struggling. They get to renegotiate their media rights fairly soon after Caitlin Clark's arrival. But and it's not clear what's going to happen with player salaries either, but they definitely needed a shot in the arm and they got it with Kaitlin Clark. Tell us a little bit about the economics of the WNBA.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean, she comes along at a really critical moment and I think arguably a perfect moment for the league, which has been trying to sort of raise its profile over the last few years. They raised money, took in outside investors for seventy five million worth of investment to kind of increase their marketing presence, and they are in the process now of negotiating some of their major media rights deals, which is the main source of revenue. The rest they'll do over the next eighteen months or so. At the same time, they will in all likelihood be at the table with their players for the next collective bargaining agreement sometime over the next eighteen months. So it's all happening in the context of Caitlin Clark's arrival, which you know, should raise the price for the media rates and provide leverage to the players to get a better pay package this time around.
Speaker 2: Well, Rick, can you talk a little bit more about the CBA, because I thought that they struck a new CBA in jen of twenty twenty with an eight year deal, So is that up in the next is that being changed?
Speaker 6: There's an option for the players at the end of this season to opt out and make next season the final season, so they would basically spend next.
Speaker 2: Year they're definitely going to do.
Speaker 6: They will do, Yeah, I mean, I think that's every indication is that they will. I think, especially with the interest that we're seeing now and with the fact that these new media rights deals will be in large part known quantities by then, and I think the players feel that they didn't really get the best deal last time around. There were some incentives baked into that CBA that were revenue sharing targets, and they never hit them, so they never saw penny of that.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean, these players clearly weren't happy because they're playing in places like Italy, Russia, Britney Griner, right, I mean, they still have to go abroad in order to get compensated fairly.
Speaker 3: Or do they? Or do they? Because there's something in the WNBA's twenty twenty Collective Bargaining Agreement that kind of addresses that yeah, So they created.
Speaker 6: These what they call marketing agreements or league marketing program where some players can stick around. The league kind of picks a few stars basically, and what you have to do to get this extra money is don't go overseas to play. You stick around and train during the offseason, and you make appearances for league sponsors, Google, Carmas, so forth, and you can make on top of your salary, you can make another two hundred and fifty thousand. So there's a few different incentives they've baked in to try to get players to help grow the league. So the league will tell you, like if the top top players can make like half a million a year all in, so, it's not as bad as the seventy six thousand rookie salary for Kaitlin Clark makes it look, but it's still not millions, which you might expect for elite professional athletes.
Speaker 2: Now, Hira, let me ask you this. I know that the NBA's package their TV rights are coming up, as we know what's the deal with the WNBA. Do they piggyback off the NBA's efforts there, Do they have their own negotiations that take place, and when do those come come up.
Speaker 4: It's a hybrid.
Speaker 6: So the biggest partner that the WNBA has is ESPN and that was bundled in with ESPN's big deal with the NBA, which kicked in in twenty sixteen. That is on the table right now. Every indications are ESPN's going to renew and that the WNBA will be included in that. And then there's also reporting by US and others that Amazon is going to get an NBA package this time around for Amazon Prime. Amazon Prime already has WNBA games, they're separate package, so it looks like they're going to add to their WNBA inventory in this bigger deal with the NBA. And then there are a couple other deals that the WNBA will do on their own over you know, that expire in twenty twenty five, so they'll have the chance to redo those as well. So it's a mix of both. They have four partners. At the moment, they bring in about sixty million a year in media rights, and Kathy Engelbert, the WNBA commissioner, has said she wants to double that number.
Speaker 3: And of course inventory is only going to increase because the league just added a new team, the Golden State, newly named Valkyries, and the talk is that Toronto will get a team in the coming years as well. The WNBA at one point did expand, but it expanded too rapidly and that proved to be well, it was kind of painful and it led to a shrinking of the league. So walk us through how the WNBA is going to move forward with this expansion now, Yeah.
Speaker 6: I mean the goal, according to Engelbert, is twenty four. So they're at twelve teams now that they're peak they were sixteen. They want to get to twenty four teams over the next decade, which I think makes sense. I mean, the way Engelbert puts it is, we've got a country of three hundred million people. Twelve teams is just not enough. And you're right, it adds inventory of all sorts, and those teams not all of them are owned by NBA owners. Some of them are independently owned. So I think they can get there. I mean, with Toronto and Golden State coming on. If you see momentum continue from where we are now, which is certainly the level starting this season is higher than it's ever been. I don't think twenty four is an unreasonable target.
Speaker 2: So got the Angelbert. Her role right as the head of the NBA is not necessarily to do what's in the best interest of the players. She represents the owners right, and so she represents you know, the business building of the WNBA, building franchise value, you know, dealing with these media companies. With all of that. Talk to us about the job she's doing. I mean, what's the sense from ownership and that, for that matter, from the players. I mean, did they respect her? Is she doing a good job in that seat? Has she fulfilled her obligation? Is she increasing not only the awareness but the franchise value of these teams era?
Speaker 6: I mean we have seen deals. The Seattle Storm sold a chunk of their revenue not too long ago at a record price for the WNBA. So from that perspective, I think owners can feel like things are going in the right direction.
Speaker 4: Players.
Speaker 6: It's really tricky because it's just this question of do you invest right. Leagues lose money, startup leagues lose money. The NFL lost money for a long time, Major League Baseball lost money for a long time, the NBA lost money for a long time. There are still teams that lose money to this day. So it's not like a highly profitable enterprise necessarily at least until you get way into developing the long term allegiances that are the lifeblood of sports. So the players can argue, look, you have to invest in us now right, and then it will be what you wanted to be later. And you see this played out recently with charter flights. So the league did not have the players flew commercial between games until this year. And you saw it for Caitlin Clark's first preseason game. It was a news story her at the baggage carousel, the person who sat in the same row with her, talking to local news reporters. And then like four days later, Kathy Engelbert came out and said, we're going to get charter flights as soon as we can get them set up in Delta. They stepped up as a partner to fund this. It's like twenty five million a year to do. They'd been really hesitant to do it because they didn't the owners were like, how can we keep stomaching costs if we're not bringing in the revenue. So that balancing act of what comes first is what she's working with now. And I think what happens is Clark accelerates both the revenue the corporate partners and the pressure to pay the players.
Speaker 1: Be in Global Business of Sports reporter Ira wood Way, thank you again, man, appreciate it.
Speaker 4: Thank you.
Speaker 1: Up Next, we stay on the topic of the WNBA and speak to the president of the league's newest expansion team, the Golden State, al Kyries. Jess Smith joins us on the other side. That's straight ahead on the Bloomberg Business of Sports. I'm Michael Barr along with Scarlett Fooh and Damian Sassaur. You're listening to the Bloomberg Business of Sports on Bloomberg Radio around the world. This is Bloomberg Business of Sports from Bloomberg Radio. This is Bloomberg Business of Sports where we explore where the big money issues in the world of sports. I'm Michael Barr along with Garlett foo and Damian Sasaur. Today I learned what a valkyrie is. It's a strong, bold, and fierce female goddess who work together to guide fallen warriors. That's according to Nordic folklore. But now they have come to the Bay Area as the WNBA last Tuesday announced that the league's thirteenth expansion team there first since two thousand and eight the Golden State Valkyries, with the team's inaugural season tipping off next year. So joining us to discuss is the president of the team, Jess Smith. Jess, welcome to the Bloomberg Business of Sports and congratulations.
Speaker 5: Thank you so much. That intro is pretty epic. I need you to do that. Every time I walk.
Speaker 1: Into a room this called me, I'll put it on tape, nil War, I'll do it for you. Well, this is, first of all, again this is a big, big move, and it's like the WNBA expanding. You know, this is another sign that the WNBA there's a lot of money to be made there.
Speaker 5: That's exactly right, you know, this moment of expansion and also an expansion through Golden State, through the Bay Area and how we're going to build This is a pivotal moment for the WNBA. You know, there's been tremendous growth over the years, but what we're seeing right now is a trajectory of speed like no one anticipated, and we are definitely going to lean into that. I think the other really incredible thing is that, yes, we are the first expansion team since two thousand and eight, but we're not the last the commissioner has come out and shared that there will be many more coming, you know, and we'll stay tuned to her for those extra details. But the reality is there's no slowing down.
Speaker 3: There's no slowing down. The team was announced as the thirteenth WIBA franchise back in October, and this week you unveiled the team's brand identity. Michael Barr said it it's the Golden State Valkyries. Although I can't quite say the way that you said at Michael Barr, can you give us a little bit of background here on what was the thinking behind the Valkyries and this being a Bay Area team? Of course, you tapped your fan base for suggestions for the team through social media for instance.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean, first and foremost, being the thirteenth expansion team is a big deal and we take it with a great responsibility. And the fact that it is the Bay Area for us is something that we wanted to lean into. When you think of the Bay Area inside and outside of it, you know, it's the place where being progressive and innovative, you know, is part of the everyday culture there and often leading the world in making the impossible possible. From what we thought and so that culture of the Bay and coupled with making that something that's a nod to the Golden State basketball culture really came to the top, not only internally as a consideration with the Valkyries, but the earliest of days there was to what you were saying. We actually went out to market and we said, hey, can you write in your answers for And we did this through a local newspaper, Thisrancisco Chronicle, can you write in what the team should be called? Not a multiple choice, not anything, And twenty five percent of fans said the Valkyrise. So this name has been out there for a while, and I truly believe the reason is not only is it an incredibly strong female warrior that can fly and swim, but it's somebody that travels together. And what we're seeing in women's sports right now is the imperative nature of doing this together, whether it's fans, sponsors, media, everyone, and you know, as that ecosystem continues to spin, that's where you're seeing this forward trajectory. You know that's going to get us to a more equitable world through sport.
Speaker 4: Jess.
Speaker 2: The inaugural WNBA season tipped off back in nineteen ninety seven June of nineteen ninety seven. You mentioned previously that you know, this is the first expansion franchise since the Atlantic Dream in two two thousand and eight. My question for you is what took it so long? Right? Is this just a byproduct of the Caitlin Clark fever that's gripping you know, women's basketball, or there's something deeper going on here.
Speaker 5: There's a lot of things that are deeper going on, and that's with no disrespect to the phenom that is Caitlin Clark and everything that she brings to the game alongside so many But when you really reflect back, this starts with title nine. You know, my generation, we thought it was normal to see women playing sports in college, and prior to that that wasn't the case. You know, so exposure to sport, continuation of sport, and so forth has been in motion for a long time.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 5: The w it was a pivotal moment. I remember seeing that announcement come out. I think I was thirteen years old to be like, oh my gosh, like this is incredible. There's finally a professional women's basketball league here. And you know, there were a lot of learnings that came along the way. I think what you're seeing happening in real time and why you're seeing a difference in growth now, in visibility now, is that there is an understanding from consumers and investors as to what that potential is. You know, for so long you would hear like, well, if they can sell six thousand tickets, you know, that would be great, but no one was necescessarily approaching it in this way with what if we had had sold out arenas what if we built something bigger than just basketball? You know, And there's that continuous narrative of you know our NBA fans WNBA fans, Well, the NBA fans aren't coming to WNBA games. Well it's a different product. Yes, it's the same sport, but the audience is different. You know, women's sports is in women's basketball specifically, a mix of sport and purpose and pop culture. And so the opportunity to lean into is building a brand around that, inviting consumers in that want that right, and that's not always an NBA fan. In fact, we're seeing a lot of folks that aren't sports fans join the sports landscape through this lens, and that's incredibly powerful.
Speaker 1: Franchise valuation for teams recently, like with the Seattle Storm, they're valued at one hundred and fifty one million dollars. That's compared to last year. That's relatively cheap compared to NBA teams. And I'm just wondering how long this is going to last before I should, like, you know, get my pennies together and get some money in this league.
Speaker 5: I mean, now that we're here, you better hurry up. But the real answer is, you know, it's not slowing down. You're seeing infrastructure built, you're seeing true investment from a broadcast standpoint. You are seeing investment from ownership groups and games and building brands like what we launched today, and it truly is going nowhere. And so when you look at team valuations, they're a compilation of all of those factors going into it, of just where they sit in the marketplace. And you know, I think I think it's the lowest that you're going to see it some time, if at all.
Speaker 3: And we should mention as well. Speaking of big numbers, the Golden State Warriors paid a record fifty million dollars to enter the WNBA. The ownership group in order to build out this expansion team. Can you talk to us a little bit about what it will mean to be partners with the Warriors and how you're going to use some of their best practices, how you're going to enhance some of their best practices.
Speaker 5: We're going to really fortunate position to have the legacy and the trust of Golden State. This ownership group has earned that. You know, everything that they do, they really do their best to be the best in the community and on the core and fans know that, and that's the trust that people inherently bring to this brand. We are partners in this, and I think that's what is going to be fun, you know, in the journey together. Mean by that is, for instance, you know, the Warriors have an incredible basketball academy. It's the largest and most diverse in the NBA. When we're thinking about that together, we're thinking about equal exposure within that. So boys and girls will have equal exposure to the WNBA with the Belkyries and the NBA with Warriors, and they're not going to be segmented by gender, right, So young boys are going to wear WNBA and young girls NBA and vice versa. And the point of that is that you know, the opportunity to really idolize all genders through sport will be very normal in our ecosystem. They have such a legacy and such resource in that nature, through that, building courts in the community, et cetera. That equal putting us know, right at the top with them is going to make a huge societal difference and really set a playbook for other DOULO.
Speaker 2: You have the Seattle Storm, you have you know, the Los Angeles Sparks. You have plenty of West Coast WNBA franchises that are uber successful. But I'm wondering, you know, if you go back to a franchise by the name of the Sacramento Monarchs, you know that wasn't you know, this isn't the first time we've tried to bring women's basketball to northern California. Is there anything to take away from that experience, anything to learn from the I guess failure of the Sacramento franchise to make it in Northern California?
Speaker 5: To be honest, No, it was such a different time, It was a different ownership group, and it was a different region. You know, there are some incredible ends that organization and kennibly, we hope that they find their way to us and become a part of the Valkyrie family. We want to be representative of not just the region, but you know, everyone who's looking for that WNBA team. But it's a really non comparable moment to what we're building today. I think the important thing to know is that we take our foot off the gas with the growthing collectively, and the foot off the gas collectively has to come from everyone, from broadcast, from fans, from brands, right fans now understand that when you buy merchandise and you buy a ticket, when you show up to games, when you share on social media accunts, when you follow athletes, that's what's driving this forward, and that's what their consumer power is being rewarded by these other entities, you know. So I think the biggest thing is just making sure that continued education of consumers, brands, and media come together for the output that we have.
Speaker 1: Toronto will be awarded the league's fourteenth franchise and that team will start to play on May twenty twenty six. But this isn't going to stop at fourteen. This is going to continue to grow, and the divisions are going to grow, and then we're going to have the problems where everybody's making the playoffs like the NBA because going to have so many teams. How long do you see that happening?
Speaker 5: What a great problem to have. Yeah, you have so many times making the plays, some people wanting to see them play in that competitive landscape. Yeah, Kathy, you know, the commissioner of the WNBA has done a great job of keeping everyone posted as to the league's growth plans. And I think what's happening right now that's really special is the collaboration that you're seeing between league and the players Association and every stakeholder alongside them. And so it's a huge opportunity for growth, you know, both an expansion and other details like media.
Speaker 1: I have to ask this one last question. The new young guns are coming in and big names in the WNBA are now retiring. We're at that point now in the WNBA where we're flipping the.
Speaker 5: Page absolutely and what you saw happen at the WNBA Draft and what you're seeing through this class, it's not just Caitlin. It's numerous names that are now household names, you know coming into the WNBA. And when you look at the trajector of college basketball, that's not going to stop anytime soon, if at all. Right, So, the talent that's flooding into the league right now, with this star power to complement the incredible veterans that have been a part of this league for so long, is a really powerful moment in some ways, to your point, does feel like a change the guard. And I can't wait to see what So many of these athletes you know that do move on from the league are a part of, you know, moving forward from a commercial part you know too. But this talent pool, I mean, how many household names are also freshmen right? You hear people talk about Hannah Hidalgo and Juju Watkins and so forth. I mean that level of just knowing women's basketball and then now waiting for them to enter the drift world is bringing a lot of that consumer attention.
Speaker 1: Jess Smith, President of the Golden State Valkyries, you can have that because I'm going to give that to you when you want to like play that and you want people to walk in the room. WNBA expansion franchise for the twenty twenty five season. Jess Smith, thank you so much for joining us on the Bloomberg Business of Sports.
Speaker 5: Thank you so much for having me. We're just getting started, so look forward to keeping in touch.
Speaker 1: Our special thanks to Jess Smith, President of the Golden State Dealkyries. This has been the Bloomberg Business of Sports Show. Thank you for tuning in for my colleague Scarlett Foo and Damien Sassour. Tuning again next week for the latest on the stories moving big money in the world of sports. You're listening to Bloomberg Business of Sports from Bloomberg Radio around the world.