Speaker 1: Welcome to Bucks Insider Live.
Speaker 2: Casey Phillips here a senior writer and editor Scott Smith, and we are here to talk about everything Buccaneers related, even though right now there's very little Buccaneers related that will be happening for about I don't know, month, month and a half. We will talk about that in a little bit in terms of the schedule, what came out of mini camp, what we're looking forward to, But for now, we are going to start with our trivia question. And I thought this was a very creative one on your part that I liked, and I definitely did not know the answer.
Speaker 1: I have still not looked for the answer.
Speaker 2: Because I wanted to find out with everybody else here on our show, But I thought this was fun, so share the question with.
Speaker 1: It right here.
Speaker 3: It is Mike Evans is one of fifty two players in NFL history with ten thousand or more regular season receiving yards. How many of those fifty two players played for the Buccaneers.
Speaker 1: So when you come up with a trivia question, do you always know the answer? No? I had to look at that. Okay, all right, I was going to be like man, I could have thought.
Speaker 3: Of most of them, but I wouldn't have been sure that I got all of all of them right. So you can answer this question, you know, you can try somethingness or you could even just answer some.
Speaker 1: Of them that the people are involved.
Speaker 2: So you can either say the number this number of people, or you can just try to be like, all right, I think this guy did it this.
Speaker 1: We can maybe tag team the effort.
Speaker 2: So whatever way you're trying to answer it, put it underneath our Facebook live video in the comments, and we will get to the answer later on in the show, and we'll try to shout out anybody that seems like they've gotten any of it part of it correct. For now, like I mentioned, we're kind of in this dead time around the Buccaneers facility for the most part, So tell us a little bit about the schedule right now, what's going on, what's not going on, what kind of is the previous and then the next thing we have coming up, it's there's.
Speaker 1: Still a little activity.
Speaker 3: It'll be less next week because you get to keep the rookies around for an extra week for what is it called rookie engagement, but it's a week of doing things. And yesterday there was a bunch of commotion out in the outside my office. I came out and there's like twenty five guys walking through the hall and what they were doing was they were introducing all the rookies to everybody in the building, which was pretty cool.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I love that they do that.
Speaker 2: I think it's great and it's it's twofold that it is part of their rek engagement. They do a lot of different classes and things that are really cool, you know, from finance to learning about Tampa. And then this is part of their etiquette training, which I always love. They learned about the forks and the spoons.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, it's great. It's one of my favorite things every year.
Speaker 2: And part of the etique training is also about some of the idea of networking meeting people.
Speaker 1: So it's the twofold where it's.
Speaker 2: One they want everybody to see, you know what all it takes to make the Buccaneers run that sometimes the football side and the business side don't always know each other very well, so they want them to meet them. And then also it is the day after their etiquette training to put into practice what they learned about proper meeting people and networking how.
Speaker 3: They do if the part of the training is are supposed to be friendly. Yeah, and shake your hand and introduce themselves. Then I guess it works. They're all doing that.
Speaker 1: That's great. I love that.
Speaker 2: So yeah, now we have the break until training camp, and so tell us kind of a little bit about what we're looking forward to with training camp and of course also shameless plug training camp or port Live. We will be doing the show all the times that there are practices will be coming to you live, so make sure you are around for that. We will cover it every which way possible. By the end of training camp, we will have talked about all the things. So what are some of the things that you are looking forward to and some things to keep in mind about camp.
Speaker 3: Well, so now it's the big break. It's the biggest lull really in the entire NFL year long schedule, because you know, most of the offseason that's tenpole events like free agency and the draft and so on. But this is the break. Mini camp is over, the off season program is over, and the players don't have to report until late June July. The date hasn't been announced yet, but it's somewhere in late July. And they get this time off and I guess what you do is you crosh your fingers, hope that nobody gets in any trouble in that span, and that everybody continues to work out enough so that when they hit training camp they are in shape to hit the ground running. But right now it's just a big break. But then we will have training camp. It will once again be at the Admin Held Training Center, which is the fourth place the Buccaneers have ever excuse me held training camp. As you can see here. Started out and at the beginning the first eleven years in franchise history, they just practiced at their own facility, and they stayed at a part of that time, they stayed at a little hotel right next door that was called the Hall of Fame Hotel because it was by the Hall of Fame golf course.
Speaker 1: That's them all now, but whatever.
Speaker 3: And then they moved for quite some time in the University of Tampa where the players would stay in dorms. And then when John Gruden arrived during that tenure, we went off to Orlando to practice at Dizzey's Wild Old Sports and stayed at the Celebration Hotel. And then in two thousand and nine, it just became obvious that hey, we have this perfect facility with all this great stuff. We don't have to move everything. Let's just do training camp here. And really that's become the trend all around the league. When I first came into the league with the Chiefs, we were practiced, we were doing training camp up in Wisconsin and they had the Cheese League. Now almost every team just practices at their own facility or some more close.
Speaker 1: Those when you guys took a horse and buggy. Yeah nice. I love what it's live.
Speaker 2: So they can't stop me from making shows like that. Yeah, that's I think that it's going to be really fun this year for training camp. They have so many fun things planned for the fans, and I kind of like that we get to do it at our own facility. It's very convenient and it's cool for the fans. And I love that our facility is even right by the stadium. It just kind of feels like, you know, it's right there and buy football. And you know, back when I was with the Rams, your facility in your stadium, we're thirty something minutes apart.
Speaker 1: You better hope you did not forget anything, because that was not fun.
Speaker 2: All right, So we already have a one potential answer for the trivia question.
Speaker 1: It was just one name. It was Joey Galloway. That is one of them. Way to go.
Speaker 2: Richard nailed it and he's loved that he sent it with a bunch.
Speaker 1: Of question marks like Joey Galloway.
Speaker 3: Maybe Joey Galloway is definitely one of them. Also one of my all time favorite players.
Speaker 2: All right, So again we're looking for the rest of that trivia question because IM going to guess the answer is more than one, more than more than one. So keep on a truck and in the comment section underneath our live video with your answers to it. Something I'm looking forward to in training camp is looking at this new defensive line that this is one of the areas of the team that had a lot of change and a lot of turnover. And I know that we've gotten to They're a hard group in the off season to see much learn.
Speaker 1: Much when you're shorts and T shirt.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's not any contact all the guys in the trenches. That's the hardest thing to get any kind of feel for. But I know we've gotten to at least hear from you know, new draft pick Klijah can see about how it's going for him and what he sees so far, So what was something that maybe you learned from him or just even watching what they're trying to use him.
Speaker 3: You can see his quickness, you know, even though they're not hitting each other, you can sell you can see the guys quick and well, I guess we'll jump right to this. He's actually got elite quickness for the interior defensive line position since three, which I guess as far back as we have data, he had the fastest forty yard dash by defensive tackle since two thousand and three, and just a little bit better than fellow pit alum Aaron Donald. And of course there's constantly Aaron Donald comparisons because of their size and where they came from quickness, and nobody's going to saddle anybody with Hayes.
Speaker 2: I think they what a heavy yoke to put it on and starting your career.
Speaker 3: But which can say is that he's playing next to another really, really good, a Pro Bowl defensive interior defensive lineman in Vitavea, And he was talking the other day about how much Vita has helped him along, but also how much help he expects it to be to be playing next to Vita, because as we all know, he gets double teamed a lot, and that obviously has always helped the edge rushers to some extent, but it should really help out Collija playing next to Vitavea, and he knows that already, he's counting on it, so he could look really good.
Speaker 2: And that is just going to be so cool to watch, because I'm sure a lot of times, yes, they want a double team, but they'd love for an offensive lineman to only have to maybe give a little attention to one and be able to go to the other.
Speaker 1: But if they try to go to Vita.
Speaker 2: First, Colija's quickness I so fast that there's no way they can try to get anything on Vita and still get on Callija. So if they try to go to Callijra first, Vita's got one on one for business.
Speaker 3: For his size, he's got good quickness too, but he's also got a power game.
Speaker 2: So especially for Vita's size, good quickness would be a ten second forty yard dash. The guy is so big and yeah, somehow still so quick. Yeah, I think that's going to be a lot of fun to watch. And then the other one is going to be just watching a guy like Levonte David again that I know everyone's excited that he is back again for another year. Just one of the most beloved figures in this franchise. And it's so funny to hear him realize that this offseason.
Speaker 1: He's the old guy on the team.
Speaker 2: He talked about that a little bit. So what do we feel like our expectations are out of him and bring why the team wanted him back for sure, and just what the linebacker group could look like.
Speaker 3: You know, if you think about it, it was a nice having tom Brady around because if you were like thirty two, thirty three through four years, he's.
Speaker 1: Like twelve years older than I am. I'm not the old guy.
Speaker 3: Well, now Levante is the longest tenured guy, which was.
Speaker 2: A bummer for me because Levante's younger than me, and so I was like, oh man, well tom.
Speaker 1: Brady's younger than me. So there you go.
Speaker 2: We were all really clinging to the Tom Brady all feel closer to football.
Speaker 3: So you know, he I lost my trade of thought. Oh you know, it's not like Levonta's not never been a leader, right, He's been a team captain for something like eight or nine years ago, he's clearly a team leader, but he even feels now like he needs to be even more so just because he's that guy. And there's a lot of younger guys on the team. Out over the last two drafts, we've added a lot of youth to that defense, and some of them are going to be in big roles and for this defense to continue to be good, which it has been for most of the last four years, some of these young guys are gonna have to know what they're doing, and Levonte is the guy that's going to help them along. So and he also is still a very good player. I mean last year he had a very good season, and you know that was his tenth season. I believe in twenty eleventh season he was a twenty twelve draft picks, so I guess.
Speaker 1: That was his eletless season.
Speaker 3: And over the last Now, this is from NFL Next Gen Stats, which just started getting data in twenty sixteen, which is why it looks like cherry pickings. Since saying since twenty sixteen, but this is the average yards allowed per target when you're the nearest defender and coverage and of all off ball linebackers, probably all linebackers really these are the best. They have the best numbers in terms of not allowing yards per catch or per target. I should say and look at the aren't He's right there? He's number two in the league.
Speaker 1: Incredible.
Speaker 3: He's a great coverage linebacker and he still has speed and quickness, and so you know, that's it's awesome that we didn't lose that in the middle of our defense.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's going to be incredibly important. And I just yeah, again, the leadership, you can't overstate that. And I've seen times over the years Lavante is not always the most vocal guy.
Speaker 1: He's kind of that lead by example guy.
Speaker 2: But then when things have maybe hit super rough patches, he is the guy that will say something. And then therefore when he does, everybody listens, everybody takes it incredibly.
Speaker 3: Serious, a ton Dungee effect.
Speaker 2: All right, we are going to hear the answer to the trivia question. So we had Richard had given us one of the names.
Speaker 3: So, uh, you know, there's at least too, because Mike Evans is included.
Speaker 1: Okay, so that's that's fair. So we know it's at least too. So how many I want to guess? So many? It is five? Eight? Wow? That's amazing.
Speaker 3: It's kind of funny. And you know there's there's a couple that barely played, like Tim Brown's on the list. He played for US like three games. Yeah, So here they are eight players, eight of the fifty two have played for the Buccaneers, and those numbers in parentheses are where they are on the all time list. So you have Tim Brown, who's.
Speaker 2: Seven, Jones and Antonio Brown I should have thought of at least, and DeShawn Jackson, oh my cash.
Speaker 3: Keenum Cardale who was on the Super Bowl team scored two touchdowns in the Super Bowl. You said DeShawn Jackson, Joey Gallery was guessed Keishawn Johnson, and then Mike Evans.
Speaker 2: And what's so funny about this list is when I first thought about it, Keishawn Johnson was the first name that popped into my head, which is very funny because I was not here when he was here. And yet Julio Antonio Brown, the ones I was here with, did not occur to me. And I feel like somehow I was thinking of people drafted by the Buccaneers, which is not.
Speaker 1: What you said.
Speaker 2: No, And like, are just people that were here like longer in their career something Kevin House.
Speaker 3: Yeah, some people would guess. Some people guessed rest in peace Vincent Jackson, but he didn't quite make it. But uh, there is for a bonus answer. Another person on that fifty two man list was a Buccaneers coach, Harold Jackson in nineteen ninety two and ninety one. So if you want to count coaches, nine to fifty two is a pretty high percentage.
Speaker 1: That is a high I love it. That was a fun one. All right.
Speaker 2: Well, thank you so much for joining us on this edition of Bucks Insider Live
Speaker 1: And we'll be back next time.