Speaker 1: We're here to talk about one of the greatest episodes. Here's the thing. I don't remember this episode whatsoever. We are talking about three twelve basketballs, baskets, ball, baskets, balls.
Speaker 2: Baskets balls.
Speaker 1: Yeah, balls and also by the Female Dream Team, directed by Lorraine Scafaria, Oh my god, and written by my dear friend Rebecca Adaman. Yeah, but I forgot all about this episode was so when I rewatched it, it was truly like the first time ever hearing the story. I don't remember it.
Speaker 2: What's crazy. I remember, I think the ending of this episode. I remember, like towards the ending, there was the moment at the bar. I remember that moment, but all the other antics and things like that. I don't remember filming it, but I do remember the Jersey swap situation from seeing it before when it had aired. I do remember that back and forth with the Bulls Jersey and the Pistons Jersey. Yeah.
Speaker 1: What's crazy is I found the table draft and it's almost completely different. And so sometimes I feel like with those those episodes that got like a full rewrite, those are the harder ones to remember, right, because so much was kind of like done on the flyer in the moment and adjusted as they were figuring it out, and you were kind of like almost so present that you're not like kicked back and being like, oh I remember this, or let's store this in the memory bank. You're just kind of like, you know, falling forward a little bit with it. Yeah, all right, all right, all right, all right, let's break it down first before we dive in.
Speaker 2: Okay, So, in this episode, just decides the fake being a Detroit Piston's basketball fan in order to become friends with Coach. Here's the problem. Her boyfriend Nick is a massive Bulls fan, which causes them to get into a good old fashioned sex standoff. We've all been there. I'm constantly having to tell these women not today. Meanwhile, Winston shadows Schmidt at work, thinking that marketing and advertising might be for him. As he helped Schmid navigate getting past the backstabbing employee, Winston comes to the realization, with CEC's help, that maybe he's wanted to be a cop all along.
Speaker 1: That was the part that really surprised me. I was like, oh, this is where it came from. Yeah, this is where it came from the whole like cop trajectory. Winston comes from this episode, no idea. I just thought in class the New Girls style one day, you just walked in with a cop out I'm a cop.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: I didn't realize that they actually set the groundwork and did it properly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so right before this episode. Uh now you said you saw the table draft, not on thousand percent sure if it was in there or if this happened right before the table read or write after it. But I did. But I was already in their ear about about job possibilities for and and before. It might have been right before the season when I had to sit down chitchat with the whole squad the writer's room about potentially becoming a cop and trying to figure out what's the the best way to transition into that profession. And yeah, they made it work in this one. So it was fun to see it actually come to light. You know, you can talk about a lot of different ideas. I said this, I said on the show multiple times, I need Zoe Gravits to put my girlfriend. Never happened.
Speaker 1: It never happened.
Speaker 2: Never happened Zoe.
Speaker 1: You weren't specific. You just I want Zoe to be in the show near me? Right, done?
Speaker 2: Got it? We got you bro check different Zoe, And so with the cop thing, I was like, oh, they actually they made it happen.
Speaker 1: Well done, here's my here's my what my theory was on it where my brain went immediately, which is you were like, here I am on this comedy and it's Winston so he's doing the most with the cats and the puzzles. And you were like, but I know at some point this show is going to end. I need to show myself in a different light. And you love Eddie Murphy and was like, I'm like, is this you trying to set up for like Axel Holly, You being like, this is my Beverly Hills cop. Let me run around in the cop uniform and show you that you can put me in like the new version of Beverly Hills Cop. Right after this, I can submit the tape, I can cut the reel. I got it. I just needed to get it on this somehow, you would.
Speaker 2: Think so, well, internally, internally we always have a plan for those things, but it didn't happen. In fact, the new Beverly Hills Cop I auditioned to be in and they said then nay, no, they said no, they said no, to you. They don't. They don't want me to work with Eddie Murphy. I feel that's what I realized. Then the Internet would break, the world would the world would collapse on itself.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's true.
Speaker 2: It'd be the most it'd be the funniest movie.
Speaker 1: Of all time. It's also the most obvious thing. Yeah, it's so obvious.
Speaker 2: Like he plays my twin brother. Yeah, me and Eddie played twin brothers.
Speaker 1: I feel like this is going to be one of those recap episodes, Sorry, everybody that's listening, where we're just like mad about a lot of really small things that are just kind of like tangentially associated with this as we're like, this is one of the best episodes of all times. Let's not talk about it. Let's talk about Eddie Joel.
Speaker 2: I wonder if Eddi's wearing diapers right now?
Speaker 1: Full circle this moment. All right, Okay, let's dive in. So Winston asks Schmidt if he thinks he'd be good at advertising. She talks down on advertising and let him know he does marketing, and he says, basically, you can be like my take my kid to work day from the job shadow of me, so you can figure it out. And meanwhile, Jess is facing a little bit of like that weird blurred line situation that people get into, which is you're hanging out with your boyfriend's friends and you really like them and you see them as a friend, and they don't. They just see you as their buddies. Girl.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she's doing too much, and she wants.
Speaker 1: The friendship like a legit separate friendship that is just their own where they have their own connection.
Speaker 2: I don't do you think that's okay? Though? I mean, like, I know when it happens organically, it happens organically. But do you think that's okay? If you're like, oh, like you don't know what me and Ernie did yesterday, you won't know. That's that's between us. And you say that to your boyfriend, I'd be like, what the fuck are you talking about? What do you mean?
Speaker 1: Very well, it's very unique, right because they live together. Yeah, so it's your roommate, and so you want to be able to just like if you're hang out Guess in the morning and you're having your coffee and you want to be able to just like chat and be seen as like your own self as a human versus like, oh, that's his nixt girlfriend sitting at the counter that I live with. So in this situation, I think it's unique. I think in normal life it is a bit strange to go to this lengths to have your boyfriend's friend be like, let's go to the bar together and watch basketball. I'd be like, what you why?
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, if I fight it, it's not for me. Yeah, that's that's a bit too much.
Speaker 3: See.
Speaker 1: But I will say Nick is very supportive of the quest.
Speaker 2: Strangely, I mean, that's all right, that's all right. You know who wouldn't be supportive of that, Jake Johnson. Nick is sure, but Jake not so much. Not so much.
Speaker 1: I think you'd just be more like, you're on your own if you want to do that. I'm not getting involved, Like knock yourself out.
Speaker 2: That's you imagine waking up late at night, she's like textings about it. Who you texted? I'm trying to see if he's awake.
Speaker 1: I will say, the list of the things of the Boo Boo but Vagina thing had me the floor first. I didn't even know you could say. I didn't know you could just like list the five body parts on a network show. That's what I was like, Oh, this is already an iconic episode, just that describable women. The five Things I Like about you is wild in the order of it wild.
Speaker 2: I like the line where Winston talks about his the onesie when she's says that's how she went. She wins people over food, you know, clothes, pajamas.
Speaker 1: I like the butt flap, But can we just talk about that for one second. I have thought a lot about that, because like I've bound buffalot my life and be like, but who what, how?
Speaker 2: No, the multiple reasons why won would have a butt flap, Hannah, I'll let you do the math on that.
Speaker 1: But I'm just like, even practically, I don't quite under like, there's just too much clothing still near the toilet. It's gross to me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, you think it's getting soaked up or.
Speaker 1: Something like the legs of it, like all of it just feels like, just take it off. You chose a romper that means you go naked to the bathroom, Like, just take it out, all of it.
Speaker 2: I'm just not into Yeah, I can. I can tell you that this Pistons Bulls fan rivalry. It was a rivalry back in the day. It's it's not a rivalry now, and it wasn't a rivalry when this episode was filmed. But I gotta.
Speaker 1: Pull this up because I'm pretty sure I scream grabbed it from the when I was watching that this. It wasn't actually the Pistons. Bump bump bum. It wasn't the Pistons. I don't think. Oh I lied. See this is what happens when I read It's the best. I think it was the Pistons. There's they, but they talk about the Bruins.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Then they realized that, Nah, it's basketball.
Speaker 1: Never mind. I thought I had like this big thing to share about that that wasn't the Pistons, but it was the Pistons. It was the Pistons, but it was a joke that just didn't make it about the Ruins.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because that's not a real rivalry. It's not it's the Bulls back then didn't have a real rivalry. In the eighties. It was Bulls Pistons, for sure, and the Bulls got the short end of the stake most of the time until Michael Jordan came into his own and then the rest is history. He rose to the ranks to become the second greatest player of all time behind bron James.
Speaker 1: That's officially from the Bourne Wars basketball lists.
Speaker 2: It's official. It's official. Yeah, now let's see.
Speaker 1: Oh, this funny storyline with Bob Gunton where so so shadow him is so funny.
Speaker 2: I think again, we gotta do a segment on this episode on this show where we highlight one moment that shouldn't be that funny, but it's really funny when when she introduced him and they show him in the background, they cut back to the to the group talking, then they cut back to him over I think it's over Schmid and you see him in the background trying to get off the couch. It can't It's like he's like to get off the couch. That was one of the funniest things I've ever seen. And I'm not sure if a lot of people caught that moment, but yeah, that was well done. Well done.
Speaker 1: It did. Some actors I feel like would come onto the set and they and that's why they would get hired. They were so incredible with so many legends, and they would do so many little things fully in character that made the show and the show's so funny, and it's tiny little things like that yeahysterical Gwen.
Speaker 2: Gwen was fired because she turned forty five, and so she filed her lawsuit against them. So ed tel Schmid, he's shadowing him today because his office is closest to the toilet. It's got to prostate the size of an avocata. Have an avocat. Now you know he would be a great spokesperson for depends great exactly. Uh now, yes, she barges in the coach's room. It stinks, obviously, Eddie tells her it stays stays closed off during basketball season. Plus he's dropped them alive. Was under the bed. We've all been there. And then, uh now, which is a real thing, by the way, because I I've been in relationships where one my girlfriend would have to know the schedule, the basketball schedule. I was, are you kidding me? You can ask any of my exes. They will tell you. And there are thousands.
Speaker 1: There's a game Friday at seven o'clock. So we obviously aren't going out and doing anything.
Speaker 2: Or we can we can watch the game. But just know, this isn't one of those things where it's like what are we doing today? Like, well, you know what we're doing today. We're gonna watch the game. You can do whatever you want to do once the game is over. You know, we're free to move about the cabin. I can meet you somewhere, you know, if you want to go out tonight, if you want to go to the game, let me know. But it's game time, so don't go.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: My friend she she wants to go to Korean barbecue today.
Speaker 1: Married.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm getting married, like you know, like none like not so.
Speaker 1: Dirty, baby, I'm so sorry, but.
Speaker 2: Lakers bulls baby. So yeah, that's a real thing.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 1: Interesting, I did not know you were that committed.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm committed. Well, once I had Once I had a kid, though, my commitment kind of shifted my daughter. Don't give a damn about what.
Speaker 1: No, this is the thing I always say, it's really important you have to have like a sister or a daughter in your life because of your only love as a man is your mama's love. Yeah, it's not a true representation, that's true of the expectations and the adjustments you need to make. You need a daughter to let you know how it is, or a sister. That's not what we're doing. And you're acting.
Speaker 2: Crazy exactly, And it's in that moment though, when when she does come in the room that she's now shooting her shot, she's asking coach if he wants to watch the game, which is very awkward and strange, and you know he allows it. Now the bar, Schmidt is telling Winston that this networking is a is a big part of the job. Says it's usually more sexy. But they got Ed the old couch potato with him today. Said he could split up bake the table. They are making this man's sound very old time old.
Speaker 1: He's not that old. He looks very young and handsome, and they're just like, let's make it seem like.
Speaker 2: He's ninety be born in eighteen ninety, that's right. Yeah. So now Winston, you know, he tells Cci that he thinks marketing is a bad lead for him. All right, Schmid tells that he wants to take Gwen's job. Micro Marketing is his golden idea. Now, this is the thing that Schmid has come up with. You see a lot of times at his job he's trying to figure out ways to advance and this could be that moment. He says it's micro marketing, and Ed tells him it's a great idea.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he can recognize it. He can recognize Okay, this stuff going back to coaching Jess doing their butt bumps also wild. This is where it starts to blur a little about like appropriateness, because.
Speaker 2: What's happening is you guys are touching body parts and I'm not talking hands, You're talking reproductive ish body parts.
Speaker 1: What's also just like a cute thing to do to be like, oh, this is my boyfriend's like friend, Yes, we live together, but like it's our secret handshake with their butts.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because what if it was like the opposite, what if it was like crotch touch you know, you're just.
Speaker 1: Like so it was like Nick and Ceci being like butt bomps. I think Jess would be like, hold on, yeah, sure.
Speaker 2: You should know what her butt feels like with your butt. Yeah, there's no way, there's no way, no way.
Speaker 1: This does feel like a bit of a double standard situation.
Speaker 2: What would you do if you came home and your your girlfriend and your husband were just like their friends, like just like, you know, it's fine, it's normal, it's natural. They're just she's hanging out the house and before he like goes to do something, they do their handshake, but it's like they touch noses like this and then yeah, what you what would you do?
Speaker 1: Honest to God, very simple thought about this many times. Kill that bitch, which is the morgue. I have to say, you're about to have two incoming bodies, make so much five minutes dead. That's that's done. Now.
Speaker 2: It's funny what you said earlier about having a mother's love, like you need a sister or you need a because Nick Nick says that Michael Jordan is the first man who taught him that he can love uh man, and you know there's a whole you know. Nick can't get on board with Jess just switching teams depending on what friend she's talking to, because she's supposed to be a Bulls fan.
Speaker 1: That's right, Like, I know you love the balls, but he loves the pistons, and I'm trying to connect with him and be his friend. And once I can like we're friends and we've got like solidified and our friendship is like you know, it's golden, then I'll just I'll be a Bulls fan and like support your team, which is way more horrifying to him than her just being a full Pistons fan that you can just switch up your team.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're a psycho. And and that's when he lets her know the real, real, honest to god truth. He'll never be able to trust her. That's ever.
Speaker 1: You have to have to have some like team loyalty.
Speaker 2: So he forbids her and then he says, you can't forbid me from doing this.
Speaker 1: That also was wild, had to come up, but that is such like a you're in a new relationship with like one of your first relationships, like you've never had a real relationship. We're out of nowhere. You're just like, I forbid it, and you're like, whoa, okay, fourteen hundreds Peter forbid it.
Speaker 2: But he does what he has to do. Work well, it kind of did because he turned off the sex tap and she says that she needs her vitamin D.
Speaker 1: I couldn't with a joke had laid to I was like, after the but but you know, but this is when I need the vitamin D. I was like, what happened to broadcast standards?
Speaker 2: And we ended it. After this everything went streaming.
Speaker 1: They were just like that whole department was just gone.
Speaker 2: It felt like, oh yeah.
Speaker 1: Also, a very funny line because Jess says to Nick, don't challenge me to a sex standoff, because she can channel all her sexual energy into knitting. And that's how she came through high school. It is true in high school, I'm sure. Well. I was going to make a big generalization. I was going to say, probably more so for boys. But you know, boys, girls, what do you do with all that sexual energy.
Speaker 2: You you get out on on all the all the girls.
Speaker 1: You know you sleep some reason my brain you take it out on your toy story sheet man.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh god, oh god, Annah, that is gross.
Speaker 1: It is gross. I thought you were gonna say it. That's why I thought.
Speaker 2: I'm talking about being being being fourteen and sleeping with all the all the seniors in high school.
Speaker 1: You sleep with nobody who are fourteen years old.
Speaker 2: That's true. I didn't. I didn't lose my virginity until much later in life.
Speaker 1: So last week when you text me about it, and I was like, yeah, it's like, it's it's great. Let's take a break when you come back.
Speaker 3: More new girl, more new girl, and we are back.
Speaker 1: So Jess and Coach are watching the game. Coach calls Jess his friend, his friend, she did it.
Speaker 2: She did.
Speaker 1: She did, She's like done, locked, I don't just a basketball thing. Amazing, And then this scene I can't Okay, yeah.
Speaker 2: When Jake walks in with his Bulls uniform on, which was so funny, short shorts and everything, and he starts to squat the sexy dance, which was shockingly bad.
Speaker 1: So bad. Honestly, I know he was trying to make it funny and everything, but I was like, this is now tipping to like Family Guide territory, where I was like, this is so uncomfortably and all the tongue stuff, where then she's like, the only person you're turning on but genuinely doing a good job of doing is yourself. You're getting yourself in a mess.
Speaker 2: And he turns around because he clearly has a boner and.
Speaker 1: He has also a wild choice. No way that's in the script is sit there and be like, no, adjust your shorts as you walk out of the room.
Speaker 2: Yes, oh boy.
Speaker 1: I just want you to know the notes that we have on this episode, says Nick ends up just turning himself on and then has to waddle away, because that is how that is written as a description of the scene.
Speaker 2: Let me tell you something. When I was in high school there was whenever you would get asked to go up to the whiteboard and draw something on the chalkboard, I'd always decline. I'd be like, I can't do it today, not today, I can't do it today. Gabe over here, Gabe wearing this perfume. I can't handle myself and I gotta go. She wearing this perfume. I gotta I can't stand on yep. Yeah, a girl walked by. I can't get up. I'm sorry.
Speaker 1: That's how it was. One of my best guy friends was explaining this to me like ten years ago, about how high school was so torturous because for genuinely no reason, just the way you stand up. It could just be like hello. And he was saying that he honestly feels like that binders were invented by men, like a shield just as you walked down the hall to the next class. Oh yeah, you had to have the binder, and that they were like all boys carried them in the front of their bodies.
Speaker 2: But that's why they wore those those big ass Jenko jeans. Remember those Bis skater pants.
Speaker 1: With the nine layers of denim.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but locked up. Yeah, you have to.
Speaker 1: Okay, So back at the office, and we've said this before, but it's always worth reminding people because it makes me smile and I think of it every time I rewatch a New Girl episode. The Astrat office, we're actually the New Girl offices where all of our writers and producers were all stationed up. So when we never had to shoot at Astrat, they all had to like kind of like I don't know, rearrange themselves and all be shoved into one back room like you know, yeah, clown car full of writers.
Speaker 2: You would see like you would see like a hallway just stacked with assistants sitting in little corners. They all had their I'm like, this is crazy.
Speaker 1: So we could shoot maybe in another office floor, real practical working office. These people are working on this, Like we're going to compromise a show. Why would we do into our our own show at the Brooklyn nine nine offices rent their offices for the day. What you're doing? Gosh, that was always so fun because then you would actually get to see people. That was always fun shooting there because you actually got to see all of our favorite writers and producers and would hang out with them all day. Yeah, that was kind of nice.
Speaker 2: And in this moment here Nick Or it's about to present you know, his his micro marketing strategy. However, Ed Ed Ed cuts him off at the pass and yeah, steals it, steals it, and he beats him to it, giving himself all the glory. Now Ed, he kind of whist was over. He says, hey, man, he may be dirty, but he plays old. And then he has his paws wrapped around his avocadas.
Speaker 1: Now, what's with you on the avocados?
Speaker 2: Damn avocata? Uh not the bar Winston he's he guesses that Ed stabbed him in the you can see it coming a mile away. C. C. Tel Schmid, there's way too much going on in his Shark and Minnow metaphors?
Speaker 1: Did hand Max these these huge, like huge rants that were like half a page long. And Max would be like, great, I'll just memorize it right now in three seconds and try to spit it out. And it made no sense. That was like the Shark and menow.
Speaker 2: One, especially when he would get frustrated because he couldn't get the words out. That was always the best, Mas damnit. And Winston tells him that they need to get Ed back. Schmid struggles to keep his shark minow toast metaphor. Going now back at the laft coach is suggesting that they rewatched. So they watched the game, have a good time. It's a long, long game, you know, double overtime. Yeah, and that he's like, hey, I got an idea, let's watch it again.
Speaker 1: Have you ever done that? Rewatched a game? Yeah, a whole game.
Speaker 2: Oh, I do it all the time. They're like classic NBA games that you just get excited watching and it's actually more fun because you don't have the stress because you know the outcome.
Speaker 1: So do you know who does this? My dad does this. My dad. When I go to his house and walk in, he's always watching cricket. Oh yeah, and he's watching cricket games that are like forty years old, like old. But he only watches the cricket games where India wins. He just the games where India wins and he loves it. He just sits there and rewatches it. That there's no stress in his body of India is going to beat Pakistan or whatever. He just got so excited and he watches the game.
Speaker 2: So you know what, you know what I hate when I put on an old game like a old playoff game and I think my team won that game. So I'm like, oh, yeah, this is the game Michael Jordan dropped forty five. I'm gonna watch this and then you watch it back and then they lose and you're like, damn, they're the most winningest.
Speaker 1: Team in this this. I gotta go out myself, count myself to pay, all right. So then there's this super sexy moment between Nick and Jess right where she has gone in now with a plan, a little manipulative plan, where she's like, I'm gonna flip this.
Speaker 2: Yes, y'all do.
Speaker 1: It's going to be x tap. But I would have to do is make him take the bait, and she does a brilliant job. The polybdual dance is one of the weirdest things I've ever seen, and the fact that it works on him is wild.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they both.
Speaker 1: I realized after seeing his bulls dance and then heard you the polybdual dance. I'm like, you guys are made for each other, because these are ways to get somebody's you know, motor going.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna try that. I think I'm I'm going out tomorrow night. I'm going to try to do the sexy dance in the middle of the bar or the Paula Abdul dance, and let's see what happens.
Speaker 1: I think it's probably gonna work. That's the thing that's going to shock you.
Speaker 3: Nice.
Speaker 1: Yeah, great, it moves the steps.
Speaker 2: But that's in that moment. Nick goes in and and and he's about to turn off the sex or turn the sex tap back on, and just goes aha, gotcha, yeah yeah, yeah, yeah yeah. And now she's becoming.
Speaker 1: I can't hear aha without thinking of the coming to.
Speaker 2: America America shots. Where's the spoon?
Speaker 1: All right? So Winston is trying to help Schmid deal with this Ed situation, and he's like, here's the move. You got to find an older, crankier guy than Ed and then find out how to counter strike him.
Speaker 3: Mm hmmm.
Speaker 1: So they're making plans and plotting, right, which I think is interesting.
Speaker 2: Okay, and then that's when Nick comes in. He sits down and asks them, okay, so this is this moment is so it's so perfect because like Jake by the way, well yeah, they're they're looking for an old man that he comes down and he does real Jake Johnson's stuff. And which is we call him old man Johnson. That's a real thing. And he's asking them where they get their photos developed these days, that he wants to print out some sexy sense private selfie picks that he took to dangle in.
Speaker 1: Front and give them to Yes.
Speaker 2: Yes, And he's like, there's a there's a camera on your on your phone, yeah, And he can't quite figure it out, and.
Speaker 1: Then he dives into the greatest conspiracy theory talk mm hmm. Ever, and I feel like they gave him a bunch of to say, but I feel like Jake probably was just like, actually, I need to look up a bunch of this stuff, because it does feel like a lot of this has merit.
Speaker 2: You know, even I'm a lot older now than I was when we shot this, and I believe it, and I believe most of what he's talking about.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: He goes through this whole thing, and he tells them that he only trusts the hard copy light bulb moment exactly. So now they realize who they're talking to, and this is the perfect old man they need to dive into. Schmid tells Uh tells Nick to seek advice from him next time he wants to take sexy news because he's the one, you know what I mean. He had the the poses. He had the half Nelson pose, the Guy Fieri pose, the black licorice pose. Was reminded me of that. Remind that moment reminded me of Zulander when he had all of his uh Ben Stiller, Old Wilson. They had all their poses like Latigra and all those different like or blue Steel was it? Magnum was another one. That's this if they do another. Uh so they do another Zulander Max, Max needs to get a phone call. Sure, that's also written for him. And you know Nick is complaining about the whole jersey thing, and Winston's like, just just wear a damn pistol jersey.
Speaker 1: The lengths you're going to Yeah, it's sit there and try to like get this woman to have sex with you. It's very simple put on the.
Speaker 2: Jersey because it don't come off anyway.
Speaker 1: So who is your team, Lamar, who's your team that you've had your girlfriends schedule their lives around.
Speaker 2: Well, it wasn't really team based. It was player based. So it was Lebron James basketball. So it was the Calves a lot back in the day.
Speaker 1: The player that you dislike the most.
Speaker 2: The player that I disliked the most.
Speaker 1: Is there anybody who're just like, I guess the.
Speaker 2: Worst right now? I mean, right, yeah, right now, it's probably Dylan Brooks.
Speaker 1: So if a girl came in wearing a Dylan Brooks jersey, it was like, let's go, would you be like.
Speaker 2: No, yeah, I'd be like no, I would push her in a pool, let's go, yeah, you hope you know how to swim.
Speaker 1: A turn off? Is there a jersey that would be like a like, you'd just be like, doesn't take it off.
Speaker 2: No, I don't take it that seriously. But I but if she did it, and if she was like, you know, we're ready to become intimate, and she said I'm keeping the jersey on, then I'd be like, no, you're not. That's strange, you know. And then when she undresses she's wearing like Dylan Brooks underwear. Then I go, okay, this.
Speaker 1: Is this is here's my husband, Dylan Brooks. Yeah, it's like, oh, it's making sense now, got it? Got it?
Speaker 2: But but but here's why. Here's why it's not that he's my least favorite player because I don't because he is a he's an antics guy and a bully. He's a good player, but he's like a villain, you know what I mean. So that's why it's like, oh, if you're wearing a villain's outfit, I don't know if I can go down this path, you know what I mean? I can't do it?
Speaker 1: All right, Well, ladies understand where this is. Dylan Brooks Jersey is not going to happen more complicated for you at the karaoke tomorrow.
Speaker 2: With the morning I go out and everyone's wearing Dylan Brooks.
Speaker 1: Jersey, that becomes this thing.
Speaker 2: Dyl Brooks Jersey salesbouts to go through the room.
Speaker 1: So Jess is losing her mind. She can't watch any more basketball. She doesn't want to do it. She just wants to be friends. And she's like, this is it. I'm over it, So she cuts the cord to the TV. She tries to blame it on a mouse rat and sees now that their afternoon is freed up if they can just like talk and chat and hang out and spend some quality time together. And then he's like, I guess sure, fine, and then he has a brain wave and he's like, let's do it over food and she's like, yeah, yes, now we're going out to lunch together. This couldn't have gotten better. And then a great cut to a sports bar bar.
Speaker 2: The basket, which I thought was really funny because they're in LA and logistically speaking, at that time, the Pistons weren't playing on national television at the time, they weren't a good squad, so you have to get them on the NBA League Pass, which most sports bars don't even have in the LA area. They only play Lakers and Clippers, and then in the nationally televised games, which are the good.
Speaker 1: So much about this it's it's kind of blowing my mind.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, I was just like, no, I don't buy it, Like this is.
Speaker 1: The one loophole thing and new girl that's gonna bug me for yeah, exactly. The math doesn't math. So then she then which is also like I love that our show can do this in twenty one minutes. She finally just comes clean and she's like, I don't want to do this anymore. This is actually what was going on. This is really what I'm feeling, and this is why it's important, and he's like calls her Nick's girlfriend girlfriend.
Speaker 2: I mean listen. She was asking for it because she she's she said, there are no fun parts, there are no themes in basketball.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's very unfun to watch basketball.
Speaker 2: It's not for her, you know what I mean. Now, back at the office, Ed he's about to give his presentation, oh so fun, and he asked Schmidt for some papers, but Schmidt broke all the printers, causing Ed to use a computer to give his presentation, which his old ass don't know how to do. So what does he do? He fakes a heart attack to get out of the presentation. Schmidt wins. Now anyway, back at the bar, he's coming to look for Jess. He's gave it, he caved, so he's wearing the Pistons jersey. He sees Coach there by himself, and Nick just tells coach that he's like, listen, man just just wants to be your friend, Doug. Nick tells me he needs to tell Jess his sweet random thoughts because that's the type of stuff that you do to get to her, you know what I mean. You tell her the most the dumbest shit. And I love that. I love what he actually does tell her. It's so stupid. He mentions how he's never seen a baby pigeon before as an example.
Speaker 1: He's like, that's what you gotta tell her that.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Uh Now back at the off, Nick comes in, He's like, you win. He barges into her room and what is she wearing just standing there? Damn Bulls Jersey. He tells her to take it off. No, leave it on, leave it on.
Speaker 1: This, by the way, is a very new Girl thing because I remember shooting something with Max and it was the tag of the episode. I think after the speed dating episode where it was turbine on, turbine off, and then it was turbn on, Like, this is the Nick Jess version of that. Like nothing like Nick Miller would love more than like his girlfriend wearing a full Bulls Yeah outfit, like the full kit.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I mean that that would work for me. That would work for me.
Speaker 1: It is a very sweet end to this episode that they both were like, you know what, forget it, let's just do it. Let's just do it. I'll do it. And then she did it. It was very sweet. Again, I don't remember this episode, so I was like, oh my god, that was such a smart way to wrap this up. I buy it.
Speaker 2: I buy it now. This is the moment here that I do remember. At the bar, Schmidt is thanking Winston for all his help and he offers him a job. Winston declines, and he starts describing what he wants to do, and that's when Cec interrupts him and says, have you ever thought about being a cop officer? Bishop? In that moment, Winston's doing his Denzel impression, says Trained Day is one of one of his favorite movies. I don't know if I don't know if I if I had been working on a Denzel impression back.
Speaker 1: Then, it was not in the script. This thing was not in the script. This is you, and.
Speaker 2: You know what I think it it was in this moment. I think it was J Farrow related. It could have been it because I think on SNL J had started doing Denzel even more and it was like mind blowing, and so then I started, like everybody started doing them. I mean people had done Denzel impressions before the past, but I think Jay Ferrell really like really like captivated folks with it, and so I think that's what it was. In that moment. I had been either just heard it or did it, and I just did it, like did a bit and they kept it in there, and then for the rest of my career. I've been doing these little Denzel bits for a very very long time now, which I'm going to retire at some point.
Speaker 1: You're gonna how can you retire a bit?
Speaker 2: Well, here's the thing. Denzel keeps doing great movies and so it's hard to stop, you know what I mean. Have you seen Gladiator too? No, he doesn't have a dialect, that an accent at all. He's just done that. Yeah, he's like roam. Yeah. I like that. Uh, yeah, that was protest.
Speaker 1: That's amazing that he's just like, nah.
Speaker 2: He's ain't doing all that.
Speaker 1: And everybody's just like, Bravo, Okay, that's what we came here for, Denzel, and.
Speaker 2: Exactly he was great. Uh and social Maid has to let him know that your training day impression, that's not what it's like is gonna. I love this tag too, when when Coach knocks on the door and starts telling Jess that he would really love to be her friend, and she gets super excited. She opens the door, you know, half naked, covered in a blanket, just to like have that moment, and then she shuts the door in his face and he does the butt bump.
Speaker 1: The funniest line is he's like, I know you guys are done already. Yeah, it's like, don't lock me up because you right, what are you doing? Let me in?
Speaker 2: Oh man, we'll be right back. Is crazy, It is crazy. Well, right back, and when we come back, we're going to talk more about roommate life and we're back. That was a fun episode.
Speaker 1: That was such a fun episode. Also, real fact, I love watching basketball, so this was actually a very fun episode for me to watch.
Speaker 2: Wait, so you your team Raptors. I'm assuming I wasn't the old Vancouver Grizzlies.
Speaker 1: Ew did you see the Raptors.
Speaker 2: Then went back to old school Vancouver Grizzlies.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was exactly right. I loved the Grizzlies so much so I loved basketball. I did not live in North America for almost my entire life, and then I moved back at seventeen, and I could not believe I lived in a city that had an NBA team. And I was just like, and I was so excited, you know that. I was like, that's it. I'm here, I'm the good luck chy arm. We're gonna win everything. Ye got it? It's phenomenal what happened. It got real dark, got real dark. But there's a big rivalry between Vancouver and Toronto, and so I was definitely not cheering for the Raptors.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but then that team, that team, that team is gone. Now that team is.
Speaker 1: Nowphis sold the Grizzlies to Memphis, and little known fact, they obviously did not want to be called the Memphis Grizzlies. How does that make any sense?
Speaker 2: Does it?
Speaker 1: And so they were changing the name to the Memphis Express. Did you know.
Speaker 2: This much of the basket ball?
Speaker 1: So they were gonna change the name of the Memphis Express and the team was going to be sponsored by FedEx. I don't know, Express, the Express.
Speaker 2: They're in the FedEx building is the thing.
Speaker 1: And I guess that's where the NBA drew the line because they were like, no, we don't want like, you know, Chicago McDonald's nuggets running around the girls, you know, Junior Whopper.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: They're like, we have to, we have to draw a line somewhere. We've given them the buildings, we've given them everything, all these companies. We cannot have the little chicken nuggets just running. So they wouldn't let Memphis change the name to the Express. And then I just got even more mad because I was like, you don't even respect the Grizzlies, you don't even want them to be Grizzlies. I got the whole thing.
Speaker 2: No, I get it. I got I was happy when.
Speaker 1: I moved to LA because then I was like, all right, I'll pick a team here. But I was never going to go to the Raptors. Couldn't rivalry. You can't go to that team.
Speaker 2: It's too weird, that's true. Who's your team in LA? Lakers or Clippers?
Speaker 1: This is actually hard. I just love LA. I'm just Randy Newman here. I'll be like, it's the Lakers as long as it's I'm a much more invested in sports and the teams I don't like, like, I'll commit to that harder than the teams.
Speaker 2: I like, Yeah, that makes sense.
Speaker 1: I just got the hater raid going. All right, we're in the mess around already. I feel like it. Yeah, I feel like we just dove all the way in. Okay, So here's a question from the mess around today. What's the craziest thing you've done for a relationship that wasn't you.
Speaker 2: That wasn't like in your character to do.
Speaker 1: Craziest lots of crazy things in relationships.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I like said I love you and stuff. I would I would say, you know, that's a tough one because you know you're doing it, so it is a little part of you in your in your that just means you are willing to go that extra mile to step outside of yourself. But I would say for me, I know, I don't even want to put this information out there.
Speaker 1: Actually, careful what you say now, I know, because I also just also understand that most people put like a crazy thing done in a relationship in the same bucket as like romantic For some reason, we do, right, even like the crazy lady wearing diapers and the helmet who drove across the country.
Speaker 2: Yeah, to like.
Speaker 1: Terrorize this man. A lot of people are like, man, she really loves him though. Yeah, So be careful what you say, because you set a bar and women want will want the crazy Lamarne to show up in the relationship.
Speaker 2: I know that was the thing. I I'll tell you offline what I the real, the real crazy thing that I did, which I don't want to put that out there because and then it's going to be expected of me.
Speaker 1: That's what I'm trying to say. Crazy and like and crazy in love. Somehow we've put in the same bucket. We've watched too many grand romantic gestures and movies and TV shows where we expect the most. Yeah, and if it's borderline like call nine one one, we're still just like mmm, yeah, he's so like to me, it's great toxic. We got some weird toxic stuff going on as women, just because we've watched too many crazy movies.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, you know what I would say. I went to I went to like three weddings in a month because of my ex And that's unlike me. I'm like, I don't give a damn that your friends are in love. Like I got to show up to all damn Like they're not paying for me to wear these suits and like get there and like one of the trips was in Costa Rica. I was like, damn, it's a lot.
Speaker 1: That's a lot. I have a friend of mine, one of my best friends. I think she's been in never mind gone to I don't even know what the numbers have gone to, but she's been in something like twenty five or more weddings been in them.
Speaker 2: Is she single?
Speaker 1: She's single, and but it's wild because I'm like, that's how much everybody loves her. Everybody loves her, and she doesn't say no. And so I remember watching her make these very loving, kind choices, showing up for her girlfriends and her guy friends and being in the weddings and doing all this stuff that it actually pushed me to the other extreme, and I just like, don't do weddings, yeah, because I feel like it's hard to take cherry pick like I'll come to yours. I'm not coming to your wedding. And I'm just like, I'm not coming to any weddings. I love you. Here's a gift. I'm not coming to wedding. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean, I don't mind weddings when they're like spread.
Speaker 1: Out, like three in a month is crazy.
Speaker 2: Three in the mother is wild. And then one of them you got to travel and getting passport.
Speaker 1: Not getting on of Yeah, that's a lot.
Speaker 2: Let's see.
Speaker 1: We talked about this next one. I feel like people know where we stand on this at the fine line of being too close with their friend's significant other in part ner. We've talked about this, this this is we we know where the.
Speaker 2: Line is this when the line is body parts touching, but.
Speaker 1: The butts, the butts touching is the line. I also though, I like I said, I think this is a very unique situation because it's also your roommate and yeah, you want to have your own kind of friendship. So it was a bit weird. And I also will say Nick kind of gave the green light like you can be his friend.
Speaker 2: I don't care. So it didn't touch, cuss, bother him. So yeah, that doesn't make yeh, that's that's not There's a lot of security going on, meaning secure personalities.
Speaker 1: That's true. Nick is very secure.
Speaker 2: Yeah, very very secure because even when even in the episode where Tate Diggs was laying butt naked in his bed, he didn't no, he looked at her was like, yeah, I believe you. Yeah, and then he went and tried to beat him up.
Speaker 1: All right, final question, have you ever been backstabbed at work like Ed did to Schmidt?
Speaker 3: Hmmm?
Speaker 2: Uh, I had work not, I mean I didn't. I haven't had I haven't had significant places of employment besides acting, you know what I mean? Like I you know, I wait at tables a lot, and you know I worked at Walmart for a little bit, but there wasn't a lot of backstabbing. It wasn't there. It wasnt Walmart's not a backstabbing culture, you know what I mean. Yeah, but we're just like friendly people, you know what I mean, just trying to help folks get their toilet paper needs in order. Yeah, you know, the Walmart greeters were the best man made. It made you happy when you walked in and made you happy when you when you left. And so uh, I would say, I've had I've had people steal jokes of mine. It's kind of like, you know, you're you're improvising a moment or something, and they say your joke on the next one, and you're like, that's my joke, that's my joke.
Speaker 1: I will say. I worked at a place coffee shop, coffee shop that is a very well known coffee shop. I worked at a coffee shop for a while in London and there was a bunch of other baristas that worked there. They were all Italian and Brazilian myself, and we just had this coat, all women. We had this code if a jerk came in and ordered a coffee, where we would then kind of call the order out in a certain way and sabotage their morning coffee because we would open at like five point thirty in the morning for like six am. So I remember there were this these construction workers always were coming in. I guess they were on a job site close by, so they were always there with this girl. She was really beautiful who worked there, and she was on cash and they would tell her like a fun dream about you this morning. It was a great way to wake up. They're like twice her age. The whole thing was so gross, trust me. They got decaf with burnt beans every morning, goodbye, having all sorts of stuff. We would get like the expired sandwiches from the back and give it to them. We're supposed to throw away they wouldwich. But they were so gross and out of pocket that we were just like, this is karma. I'm so sorry.
Speaker 2: Look up you see like con trucks and workers falling off of scaffolds.
Speaker 1: Keep you with dreams, tell yourself gross. So I've never been backstabbed, I think by a co worker, but which definitely did some things at work that were not exactly fully above board. But I've have no regrets.
Speaker 2: No, you shouldn't have regrets, regrets. I used to wait. I used to wait tables in the back. You would see sometimes, you know, if there was a and this is this is gross, but I would see some weird stuff, like if if somebody didn't like the person they were serving, you would see them do shit sometimes and you would have to like, eh, I don't want to know.
Speaker 1: Oh God, you know, I was thinking about. I remember reading in like an you know, an US weekly or something that a fun fact about this celebrity. I remember that reading that who knows if it's true or not, but that Madonna brings like brought her own cutlery to restaurants. And ever since I've read it, I can't unread it because I'm like, if you think about how the forks and spoons and knives have been in everyone's mouth, look around at your fellow diners, and then they give it a lowrrence and now it's in your mouth. Why is that crazy? They made it seem like Madonna was crazy, and I'm like, that's just so smart. She's just like cutlery.
Speaker 2: Here's the thing that's if you're if yes, on one hand, if you if you are a germaphobe, or if you are taking the the ultra. If you're taking that approach that you're taking that everyone's you know, that's that's fine. However, I've worked in restaurants. They have dishwashers and they do like they have both people hand washed and like actual dish washing machine, and they have sanitizing solution that they now. Now whether these people are doing it, if they're living up to the code, I don't know.
Speaker 1: That's why like open kitchens, show me that open kitchen, let me see what's going on.
Speaker 2: But that's also like that's also like saying I'm going to bring my own food to the restaurant as well.
Speaker 1: So this is a you have a corkage fee here. I am with my wine, I brought my sandwich, I brought my chefoon.
Speaker 2: I brought my chef.
Speaker 1: Could you clear that burner? Yeah? Anyway, just.
Speaker 2: My own chair too.
Speaker 1: I don't like this restaurant, you guys. We got plus just gonna stuff opitrator. Joe's on the way. All right, guys, this was a very very fun episode basket Balls.
Speaker 2: Basket Baskets Balls. Thank you for listening. Folks. Please make sure you go ahead and follow us on ig at the mess Around pod. You know, go ahead and get some of that lovely merch that Hannah's rocking right now is dope. It's fantastic. We're selling out like hotcakes. We're selling out like Samuel Jackson and Django. We'll we'll be back next week on episode three one three birth Birthday. That was the mess around. This has been an iHeartMedia production. Our executive producer is Joel Monique. Our engineer and editor is Mia Taylor. Additional production from Daniel Goodman, Wendy Heisler, and Kyle Shevron. Our theme song was written and composed by Ronald Jukebox Jackson. So we're gonna catch you next time. Bye,