Speaker 1: What lessons can we learn from the twenty twenty four season?
Speaker 2: A lot.
Speaker 1: I can also overthink some things. Well, we're going to tackle that today by using some great data right here on the Fantasy Pros Football Podcast. I am Chris Welsh joined today two of the best that you could possibly ask for. I've got Pat Fitzmorris and Andrew Rickson with me as we are going to be tackling some big questions. So what lessons did we learn? We're going to get it from these guys. Plus, we have aggregated some data from my playbook, which you guys should know all about here with Fantasy Pros, and we have the players that were on the most championship roster and we are going to be dissecting that. We're actually going to give you the all championship team. How funny that is because all these guys had to be on championships. Well, we're going to give you the highest collection of them. We're going to talk about what lessons we learned from that. We're going to look at twenty twenty four to ADP where those lessons were positional stuff Boys schools session, That's what we are. We've got Professor Fitzmorris, Pat, what's somebody doing?
Speaker 3: Well?
Speaker 2: Well, how about you? Are you enjoying the NFL playoffs so far?
Speaker 1: Not Monday Nights football game that we just watched, but there were a couple that were enjoyable. We're recording this obviously right after the first Divisional round Monday's game where the Vikings just the whole thing up and it wasn't very enjoyable. My pocketbook, as I've said million times, Ericson knows this. If I just stuck to the bets, I publicly cave everybody. I would be a massively successful better. If I just only followed my public advice. But I go rogue. I get out there.
Speaker 4: It's call of duty.
Speaker 1: It's Nuketown, and I'm like, all right, I gotta do this and I gotta do that, and I just get nuts with it. Ericson, I don't know if you follow your only trends, but I am. I'm a rogue agent in the betting world and it's hurting me.
Speaker 4: Yeah. I know. Once you start, the bolts are firing, You're just like, oh, I like this one. Oh I like this one. You're like, no, you need to step away from the computer. Turn off the smart and walk away and be like I like these bets on Thursday and Friday, and the process was good. And now I don't need to go after this twenty percent profit boost that X and O is offering because it's probably not gonna happen in this particular game. So let's just take the steps back. But Matthew Stafford somehow didn't get over his passing yards, which I was very happy about, even though he was dealing. But when you lose your number one receiver, Todd Higbee, I mean, that's the result you get. So I didn't hate the game because I did like the unders. But justin Jefferson not going over six and a half catches, yeh, he had I think five in the first half.
Speaker 1: Catches in the first half. Everybody knows you don't throw to Jefferson in the second half. Clearly that's what you don't do. Yeah, exactly, that's exactly right. Well, hey, lessons learned. That's what this is all about. Lessons learned. Playoff betting is brutal, But we're not here to talk about betting. We were talking about the fantasy season and we have got all this stuff in store. So like I said, I will just be the facilitator. I'm the voice on the screen telling you when it's lunchtime and when school is out. Here are your two professors, and both of these guys are gonna be able to break down some big questions that you can take into the new year and into your off season in preparation. Because every single year it's you know, it's a different process of like, here's where quarterbacks are. Do we trust the high end tight ends, wide receivers versus running backs? A lot of those are tackled. And let's kick this bad boy off. Let's just jump right into it with our first piece where we are going to dig into this my playbook data. So again my playbook with fantasy pros, you can sink your leagues in season all of the great tools available for you. It also allows us to be able to pull what players were on championship rosters and be able to aggregate that data. So I've got this spreadsheet with percentage totals and all this fun stuff. But I decided to make a team out of it. So here is your all championship roster roster. So all the top players that made it, gentlemen, are quarterback the number This is actually the second overall player that was on rosters. Our quarterback is going to be Jaden Daniels. Probably no shocker there. Running back is going to start with the number one player on championship rosters a court. Think about how many leagues as is across different formats. The number one player Jamior Gibbs, who is still alive. Our second running back, Saquon Barkley. Wide receivers though, don't quite look like the running backs where you've got two high end Gibbs and Barkley. That might be one and two in a lot of streets, but our wide receivers are not. We've got T Higgins and Brian Thomas who actually had the same percentage. So I added a third wide receiver, McMillan. Jalen McMillan comes in as our third wide receiver. So T Higgins, Brian Thomas, Jayalen McMillan, Our tight ends were shared. McBride and Bowers both had the same percentage of championship teams, so high and tight end and our defense, gentlemen, the Miami Dolphins, just like everybody wrote it up that they thought that would be that. So here's my question and Fitzy, let's start with you. What's the biggest standout of this roster of Championship players. I don't really I think I let left anybody off just fy. There's a couple more court like where the Dolphins are. There's a couple more quarterbacks that show up, Lamar Jackson, Joe Burrow. There's some other interesting names that we're going to be talking about that are going to be intertwined in this later. But you look at that roster of the most rostered players in Championship, it's no shock to see big names. What is your takeaway? Higher first round running backs maybe being more valuable the cheaper chalk wide receivers in their performance and making it this far Chalk tight ends, by the way, how about one and two at tight end and still were ranked pretty high? Upside quarterbacks and a guy like Jay and Daniel. I'm just throwing out some ideas. Pick a standout here from the most rostered on Championship teams for this session.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there were a few. I mean, getting tight end right was really important. And I don't know if those guys were necessarily chalk because brock Powers had an adp of tight end eleven coming into the season. He did finish as a top two tight end. That was great. Making investments in rookies was pretty and getting some of these guys right. And it wasn't like the guys who fared well in their rookie year were unpredictable. We were talking about a lot of these guys back in August. Jayden Daniels with his running ability and U you know, probably a much more advanced passer coming into the league than say Anthony Richardson Bowers, who we thought was a really extraordinary tight end prospect, Malik Neighbors and Brian Thomas and Lad McConkie, who a lot of people loved. I think the one thing that stands out most to me, though, Welsh, was that when you look at these guys who were most frequently rostered by championship teams, the production in weeks fifteen through seventeen, the playoff weeks was like weighted more so than what these players did in weeks one through fourteen. I mean, it was like walking into a college class and getting the syllabus and learning that you're gonna have some papers, they're gonna have some pop quizzes, there's gonna be a midterm, but the final exam is sixty percent of your grade. And if you knew that in advance, you would think, like, I'm gonna study my tail off for this final exam, But can you study it?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 2: Is this based on matchups that these guys rocked out in the playoff weeks and not always Like I'll give you an example. So Lamar Jackson rostered on fourteen percent of championship teams, Josh Allen only nine percent. So two guys who were great in the fantasy regular season. But Lamar had a really good playoff he let's see thirty six point one, twenty one point five, and twenty nine point four fantasy points in the three playoff weeks. And Josh Allen he had a twelve point two point performance in Week sixteen that probably tripped up a lot of his fantasy teams, And like was that predictable? I don't know, because one of the teams Lamar was going against during that great stretch, Pittsburgh not a great matchup, Josh Allen, like the game where he tripped up and had twelve point two points the New England Patriots.
Speaker 1: That's what I was going to ask you, By the way, like as you were going, I was like, well, they're kind of is a way to tell we could look at the matchups and we could rate the matchups because ultimately I was like, does this come back to paying greater attention to the playoff roster or the playoffs schedule for a guy in draft season? It's very hard to do. But then you just debunked it. You just debunked in a great way that it's like, oh, where is a predictability? Because yeah, you would think Josh Allen's going to go off and Lamar Jackson, you know, historically struggles against the Pittsburgh Steelers. So you know, where's the application? That's the And I know you were kind of rhetorically asking it, and I'm like physically asking it, like where's the application of knowing the difference between Alan and Lamar Jackson? Because you're right, it's so heavily weighted.
Speaker 2: The key though Welsh like is it predictably? Like are these matchups predictably good or predictably bad? Like jimiir Gibbs just completely crushed it in the three postseason weeks, Like he just piled up points his opponents those weeks, Buffalo, Chicago, San Francisco. Yes, all, all three of those teams were among the five teams that allowed the most fantasy points to running backs this season. But would you have predicted we knew Buffalo was a little soft against the run, Chicago maybe not as predictable. San Francisco definitely not as predictable. Jonathan Taylor's on this list. He tore up the Titans and Giants defenses. They were in the top ten as far as most points allowed to running backs, but they were also in the top half of the league in DVOA against the run. And I don't think anyone would have thought coming into this season that the Titans were going to be a pushover as far as run defense when they were pretty good last year. So you can study this stuff to an extent in August, I'm not going to say it's not important to consider defenses and look ahead towards those playoff matchups. I know people in Best Ball especially pay heavy attention to that when they're drafting their teams. But not always full proof, not always predictable.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean again, the application is kind of the tough thing about what you're saying, too, because I think a lot of these guys that are on this list. There's studs, you know, so it's like who cares if who cares in a way of like Saquon Barkley was amazing all season, even if you know him being on the championship roster was waited in those final three weeks. That makes sense. But there are two names that stand out here. Brian Thomas was a player of like getting in on because he just blew up in the second half and McMillan. And McMillan was a really tough one to kind of be able to put your finger on that he was going to break out, but playing on the side of talent and buying on those ericson we talked about, you know, like Brian Thomas a ton on the Prediction and Buy and Sell trade show all year long that it really did pay off at the end. There's a lot of studs, Erckson. Your takeaway, like I said, I threw out some you know, first round running backs, cheaper wide receivers, tied ends just as idea is what you take away, especially you can talk about the whole sheet or the all on your championship roster team that we put together give us a big takeaway.
Speaker 4: So I agree with fits. When it comes to looking at this list of players and drafting rookies, right, I think that it's kind of twofold where you have rookies that can hit immediately and break out, kind of like the Melik neighbors, or you also have ones that finish the season strong. We see a lot of rookies after they get you know, the post rookie bye week, they get more involved in offense. And that's obviously talking about players like Brian Thomas junior at Jaalen McMillan, where you saw them really be forces down the stretch when they got more opportunities or whatever. So I think that drafting rookies always is a winning strategy, no matter what year it is. Other things a point out we're talking about projecting matchups. Now this goes into adjusting your roster throughout the season, not just when it comes to like waiver wire, but when it comes to trades. Obviously, we did the trade show this year, Welsh and I remember we were pounding the table every single week, was like we got to buy Eagles players, we got to buy Buccaneers players. Because after weeks eight, nine, ten, it seemed very clear that oh these teams have smash matchups in the Plantis Football playoffs. So seeing a Detroit Lions player because the Lions get another team that had a smash matchup, now it's hard because yes, they are studs at the same time. So it was you have to trade your studs to get these studs with like the favorable playoff matchup. So it wasn't super easy, but with at least with the Buccaneers. And I know that Bucky Irving's not on this list. I know he's like a little bit farther down, but he was another player that you could definitely look at as oh. He was on a lot of championship winning rosters because not only did he take over the backfield, but he played on the Buccaneers. They played the Panthers, they played the Saints, they plied up a lot of really bad teams and that helped him really pull vault some of these teams to their championship. So along the side with Jayla McMillan as well, where hey, rookie, he was banged up earlier in the season, got healthy, got favorable matchups down the stretch, and you saw a lot of Buccaneers players really cook towards the end of the season. So I think that you can have an element of what the matchups are the rest of the season when you are making and playing in the trade market. And honestly, like the Fantasy pros Strength the schedule tool, like this is what it told me, like every single week, like oh Eagles, Oh Buccaneers.
Speaker 1: Literally at the time of the way, Brian Thomas, I believe was like number one best matchup rating I think through the end of the year if I'm remembering that correctly, and we screamed about Brian Thomas on that. So can I ask you guys real quick before we move on from this, do you have an applicable time that people maybe next year should start checking in and maybe preemptively making moves based on schedules and looking at those schedules. Obviously, it'd be great if everyone could pay attention to a preseason before the you know, we get going. But do you think like week eight, Week ten, week six, like what would be if you could just give an arbitrary number to it where you think people might be. You might be ahead of the curve if you started paying attention to those schedules. Ericson, let's start with you.
Speaker 4: I think I have to go back and read some of my fantasy forecast to kind of see the first week that I pinpointed, Oh, the Buccaneers have a good schedule, so like this, maybe that's what I kind of needed to do and just look back and see it. O. Hey, this is when it first came into I acknowledged it that this was a favorable schedule because I think it's probably better to be a week early than a week too late, because again, if you're a week too late, then you can't make the deal, like they won't want a deal, or you buy the player after a bad week. You know, Saque has a bad game, just not the top of people's minds. So I would say it's probably around that mid section, probably at least a couple of weeks before the trade deadline itself, because that's when everyone I think is looking. So that's something I'm gonna try to keep make a reminder to myself on my wall. Hey, week eight, make sure you're looking at the playoff schedule. Stay a week ahead so you can make some of these traits. You land a Saquon, you can land a Jamiir Gibbs, get Gibbs. Also, we didn't mention it, but I mean his breakout at the end were not really break up, but the way he smashed I mean, Dave Montgomery didn't play right, So like it was like the perfect storm for Gibbs to just take over and score bazillion Fantasy points because his schedule was there, there was no backfield competition in the line's offense was cooking for this number one seed, so it worked out perfectly for Gibbs. So I mean, you could have traded a Barkley for a Gibbs type player, and technically that would have been the right move because Gibs score more points during the Fantasy Championships. So maybe that's not the best example of what player you should have moved. But just going back to yeah, maybe it is that midweek sect or the mid season Week eight, Week seven where you really start a look at these playoff matchups because maybe by then we kind of know these teams two months in.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Week eate was the one that was like arbitraarly in my head, Fitzy, what do you think a little bit later, a little bit early, just right?
Speaker 2: No, I think Week seven in Week eight is great because the closer you get to the trade deadline, the more focused other managers are going to be on what those playoff schedules look like. And yet we want to give the We're going to give things time to normalize. We can't really draw firm conclusions about how good defenses are in week three. I think we need a month to a month and a half of data before we can start drawing some pretty solid conclusions about how good defenses are. Week seven, Week eight. That does seem like a pretty perfect timetable.
Speaker 1: All right, Next up class our presentation. We are going to look at our twenty twenty four ADP. So we've got a graphic here of what our ADP look like. So the top four relative disappointments to big disappointments who did not justify their cost Christian McCaffrey, Tyreek Hill, Ceedee Lamb, Breise Hall. The top two blatantly did not Ceedee Lamb, losing Dak obviously, hurt Breese was kind of there were moments, but yeah, we're going to call them all relatively big disappointments. Five through fourteen on this board performed at or like above expectations or even if we want to, you know, knock off the other two of Puka Engaineer Gibbs and just look at it like as a top twelve at or above expectations. So, knowing what we know now in twenty twenty five, would you prefer to have a first overall pick one or two even or a later pick that would allow you to draft another elite option at the turn? It's ee, let's go back to you here, so high pick or later pick to kind of stack some of the value that's going to be out there.
Speaker 2: I think it'd be okay with picking anywhere in twenty twenty five. Like, I don't know if we can draw any firm conclusions about like which part of the draft was ideal to draft in. I think in twenty twenty four it was actually near the turn, which was where Jamir Gibbs and Saquon Barkley were going, you know, like AJ Brown, even Justin Jefferson was sliding towards the back half of the first round. In some drafts that turned out to be a pretty good spot. And there were a lot of landmines at the top with Christian McCaffrey and Tyreek Hill. But no two years are quite the same. Everyone likes to get one on one, one oh two. People are happy when when they draw those picks, and I don't think anyone's going to be complaining about having a chance to get Jamar Chase or Saquon Barkley next year. But yeah, I mean there's some some value to waiting too and double tapping with two pretty good, pretty good assets.
Speaker 1: But it sounds like you're not gonna let anything that happen this year. Wait where you pick in a first round Oka, eric'son, same question. I would even I don't know there's a semi argument to be like, I don't even think it's a question that last year the wheel was incredible to get like a Saquon and Jamier Gibbs, and I look at it this year it's kind of lined up similarly. Again, a guy like Jonathan Taylor is going to be floating around there, and we do see like these high end running backs. If I were to let what happened last year affect any roles of what I would want coming this year, I think the one thing would be like, boy, that lattery area ten eleven, twelve still looks really really good to last year. But ericson, that's me, What say you no effect whatsoever, or do you take any of the failures at the top and the hits at the bottom as a as a reference for twenty twenty five.
Speaker 4: I guess that's the way I'm looking at it. And this is something I talked about in my perfect Draft strategy heading into the twenty twenty four season, was make sure you're not drafting last year's winning team, because when you look at the top three picks from this past year's fantasy season, those are the best picks in the first round the year before. Christian McCaffrey, Tarry Kill, and Sebee Lamb. They were all in that first round conversation entering twenty twenty three drafts. They all smashed wherever you ended up getting them in the first round. Now, they weren't the top three picks, but Lamb I think was at the turn with Aman Ross, Saint Brown, Tyreek Hill was also a middle first round pick. McCaffrey wasn't the first running back, but he was still like in that four or five range, and then they all smashed and they all went one, two, three the next year. So that's kind of how I'm looking at this, where I just want to make sure that I'm not, and the player that comes to mind is a Sakuon. Right to me, it seems like twenty twenty four was the year of draft Saquon. You rush for two thousand yards, it was the perfect Like, I'm very skeptical he's gonna be able to do it again, and now he's gonna be the number one overall pick. So that concertains me about do I want to take one Barkley in twenty twenty five when he just had his best year ever in twenty twenty four. So that's something I just want to keep in mind. So that's kind of I'm approaching it so again because similar to fits, I'm not stringent to I have to draft here and I know it kind of feels warm and fuzzy where you're like, well, if I don't pick up the top, I can't mess it up, right, I'll just let the volume, I'll let the value fall to me. But I still really like Chase a lot, right, so I don't want to miss on an opportunity drive to mark Chase. I don't know where Bijeon is going to go necessarily, I really I'm really excited for Bijon, Like he could be my number one overall player, and if I don't have the number one overall pick, I might not get him if I don't have a top three pick, depending on where ADP shakes out. So I think for me, it's less about where I'm picking and where about who do I want and how and who can I get at the cheapest price. I know, heading into this year, I liked picking one oh four because I felt like I didn't really want to get lam McCaffrey or Hill, because I liked brise Chase and Beijeon more than those guys. So I was like, give me one oh four and I'll take one of those three guys. And that worked out, you know, for the most part, Excepfort in the case of Breeze Hall, but I feel like to see Bjeon.
Speaker 1: We're good, you want that again. I was sitting here thinking as you were talking, I'm like, man, if you get four, it's like you're going to get one of Jamar Saquon, Bijon or Jamiir Gibbs or Jefferson if you want to throw that in. I feel like one four is in that same territory, and I think it's fair to and rightfully you don't want to like just blindly be like, oh, well, the top four failed last year. I don't want to have a top four. It's based on what the player pool looks like. But you know, the trends are super interesting, and maybe the one big takeaway there is you have a better opportunity of not messing it up and have some high upside when you are at the back end if they're you know, if we truly were taking one big takeaway from that, we've still got more takeaway and lessons learned. But first playoffs. We're talking about NFL playoffs. You bet we are get in on the action at DraftKings sportsbook and official sports betting partner of the NFL. Scoring touchdowns is key to winning in the NFL playoffs, and the key to you scoring is betting on them at DraftKings, the number one place to bet touchdowns. Ready to play your first bet, Try betting on something simple like a player's to score six. Go to DraftKings sports book app and make your pick. It's a big playoff weekend. There are a ton of minus money touchdown calls. But guess what Josh Allen staring at you right in the face at plus one ten here's another reason to watch your favorite players crush it in the playoffs. New customers bet five dollars to get two hundred and bonus bets instantly. Score big during the NFL playoffs with DraftKings Sportsbook. Download the Draftking sports Book app and use code Fantasy Pros. That's Code Fantasy Pros for new customers to get two hundred bonus bets instantly when you bet just five bucks only on DraftKings. The Crown is yours.
Speaker 5: Gambling problem called one eight hundred gambler in New York called eight seven seven eight hope and Why, or text hope and why four six seven three six nine. In Connecticut. Help is available for a problem gambling called eight eight eight seven eight nine seven seven seven seven or visit CCPG dot org. Please play responsibly on behalf of a boothill casino when resorting Kansas twenty one on over agent eligibility varies by jurisdiction, VOYD and Ontario Bonus Betzkspire one hundred and sixty eight hours, zeph richuins four. Additional terms and responsible gaming resources see DKNG dot co slash audio.
Speaker 1: Gentlemen, let's go to our third area here and let's talk about quarterbacks. Which approach to the quarterback position in draft likely paid off the most, grabbing an elite quarterback early, grabbing a mid tier option in the middle rounds, or building a strong roster led by one or two late round quarterbacks. This is kind of an open ended one because one could argue in some spots that later quarterback of one two could have been Jaden Daniels and somebody else in this same token. At the end of the draft season, we saw Jaden Daniels moving up to five. I kind of feel like Jaden Daniels owns this conversation and where we steer it. Except the next two quarterbacks which are inside the top fifteen mont rostered players were Joe Burrow and Lamar Jackson. So I mean those are some higher in quarterbacks in that top six, that higher tier. You're not seeing Joe Flaccos or anything like that. So Eric, soon, let's start with you on this one twenty twenty four to twenty five. What approach are you going to take? What lessons did we learn from this season on drafting quarterbacks in the new year.
Speaker 4: I think it's still later on quarterback and I don't think it necessarily means oh, you got a draft quarterback in the double digit rounds. I think it means you want to get the last quarterback in those tiers of elite. Lamar Jackson j I checked. He was QB four ADP, so he went behind Hurtz and Josh Allen and Mahomes. So even though you were drafting elite quarterback, you were getting the elite quarterback upside at the best price. Joe Burrow kind of following into that pocket passer. Well, he was cheaper than C. J. Stroud, right, So again you're still finding ways to get value with some of these quarterbacks by waiting, by being patient. If someone else wants to draft Lamar Jackson as the QB one overall, let them do it, and then okay, I'm going to adjust my strategy. I'm not going to go for that first tier of quarterback anymore. Or I'll let Josh Allen. If Josh Alla fall so the fourth quarterback like, then I will take him. So I think it's still trying to get value because with quarterbacks, we know that you know they touched the ball all the same, It's less about it's not about opportunity, it's about well how good is this guy? And then do they run? What's the offensive environment?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 4: And I thought this year in particular was such a smash for late round quarterback because I mean, my best team this year drafted Anthony Richardson. Bust. My team won because the drafted Jane Daniels. Like, so I got bailed out by following the late round quarterback approach because I knew Richardson was very volatile and it worked out for me. And then not even him, but Baker Mayfield. He was top five quarterback. Sam Darnold left for dead and he was still veiled after like a couple of weeks. Yeah, Jared Goff. So I still still think going after value is the best way. And that doesn't necessarily mean, hey, you have the draft quarterback with double rounds, Like, no draft your quarterback with a value proposition. Don't just oh, I got to take the first guy. I gotta get Lamar, I gotta get Josh Allen's Like No, there are so many pockets in every single draft where you can find value quarterback. So that's kind of my main takeaway is like you can still get value at this position while paying up for the skill position players a little bit more where the value doesn't necessarily seem so as obvious.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think it's well said. I think there's a couple of things in there. Jaden Daniels still floats because I don't think we can really talk about late round quarterback with Jaden Daniels because of how he ended up going like five and six at quarterbacks, so he kind of gets that mid tier. But you labeled a couple of the guys Baker Mayfield, Jared Goff, Darnald for a period of time, those were huge. Those were huge wins if you know you had made some investments in the wrong areas. But I will say, I take your value proposition to give me the cheapest best value of that middle to higher tier quarterback, and that was like a Jaden Daniels or a Joe Burrow. They kind of sit in that area. I also don't want to spend the high end, but I don't know if I want to wait and hope that I hit on a Baker Mayfield. I like that middle area, but I'm not really sure anything's changed for me on that. Pat What say you, Is there anything different there? Is it all late late round or does that middle tier feel really good or do you want to just do that high investment on the Lamars and the Josh Allens.
Speaker 2: Ericson said it really well that we want to suss out value when we start to go through some drafts and see where quarterbacks are typically landing in those drafts. And Jaden Daniels was a terrific draft value this year. We knew he was going to provide that rushing value, and I do think we want to be mindful of rushing value in a lot of cases. I mean, I hate to say it, but I would think that Anthony Richardson might be a draft value next year because a lot of people are going to be totally out on him and he still has that rushing value. And yes, the passing output is going to be really inconsistent and troublesome at times, but man, I think he's going to be Unlike this year where he turned out to not be a value at his draft cost, I think next year there's a good chance he could be. And I know he doesn't run a lot. I'm thinking Dak Prescott could be a value for twenty twenty five as a guy who is playing on a team that's probably going to add and already has one of the best receivers in football, is probably going to add another pass catcher, and has a defense that seems to be headed in the wrong direction, might have to play a lot of shootouts next year, and plus a guy who's just going to be sort of out of sight, out of mind for a lot of people after missing most of twenty twenty four. So yes, I think we are looking for value and we're looking for running ability. But that's the thing. Like Josh Allen and Lamar Jackson are awesome, and they're probably going to continue to be awesome. But do I want to spend a late second or early third round pick on them? Not really?
Speaker 1: Yeah, and the pairing might be good too. You know, if you have any type of inherent risk and you can go later, you could have taken a Baker Mayfield help Bryce Young might be a good quarterback for the next season as well as far as the value goes. We have been talking about some rookies, so we're going to have a rookie conversation this one. We're going to maybe focus a little bit more on the pass catchers. Let's save that other position for the next question. Of the top ten players on championship rosters. Four of the top ten overall are rookies. We've talked about Jaden Daniels, Brian Thomas McMillan, and Neighbors. Neighbors also is someone we haven't talked about. Those four of the top ten making it as the most roster players. By the way we scrolled down, you guys know you looked at the data, you start to see more. Lad Mconkey is down there. There's handfuls of more. There's a couple other rookie wide receivers. So the question is, does this make you feel even more comfortable drafting rookies high in your fantasy drafts in twenty twenty five? But I want to get throw a caveot at you. The top dog, Marvin Harrison, big fat, stinky failure couldn't be a bigger failure from a fantasy perspective, especially comparative to all those other guys. So you guys both have already kind of stated you know you're into your to rookies and it's more of a reason to draft rookies, specifically pass catches. You can throw tight ends in this as well. Rock Bouer is one of those guys on those rosters up up on the list. Does this year make you feel more confident in drafting your pass catching rookies for next year, even though the number one guy was a failure?
Speaker 2: Pat Big No, because this is not the caliber the wide receiver class that we had last year. Last year's wide receiver class was very extraordinary, and I think we knew that coming in this year's wide receiver class, Murkier, there's some top end talent like Ted McMillan. I think everyone loves a prospect, and a lot of people are going to like Luther Burden and Mecca Egbuka, and I think those guys are probably going to be first round picks in the NFL Draft. But we don't have the top end talent or the depth of the class of twenty twenty four coming to us in twenty twenty five. So I think we have to pump the brakes a little bit on this rookie class. There's still gonna be some guys we like, and by the way, whilsh I do have to take exception with the idea that Marvin Harrison is like a huge failure relative to expectations, And I think just because the second round of twenty twenty four drafts was so confusing. I feel like Marvin Harrison sort of got pushed into that range relative to his draft cost. A disappointment, absolutely, But then you look and see that his rookie numbers were eerily similar to those of his Hall of Fame dad, and no one was like dismissing his dad after year one. So yeah, also a little disappointing when you compare him to some of the other rookies who hit the ground running the leak neighbors Brian Thomas, Lad McConkie. But I'm not totally out on Marvin Harrison Junior. I just clearly a disappointment for twenty twenty four, yes, but like as far as a failure, I don't know about that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean I of greed to disagree like he I mean, like, where's he being drafted this coming year? He was second round? Do you think he's gonna be inside the top ten round?
Speaker 2: Oh? Top ten rounds? Yes? Or like eight?
Speaker 1: Like what round? Give me a round?
Speaker 2: Probably like five or six?
Speaker 1: I mean, then that's that's not that big ericson do you think that's around where Marvin goes five or six?
Speaker 4: I think he'd be higher to be honest, I mean, pump, we pumped this guy. I mean I think that Fits hit the nail on the head, Like it's our fault, it's the Royal Leies fault that he was a bust because we put him in the first round, at the end of the first round, second round. And this is something that I've gone back to. I'm looking at fantasy football receivers to avoid. It's the guy that gets the most hype that has yet to actually break out at the NFL level is the guy the busts every single year. And Marvin Harrison checked that box off when I was writing about him as a fantasy football wide receiver to avoid, right next to Eco Collins, which I was totally wrong about. But that was the red flag.
Speaker 2: It was.
Speaker 4: It wasn't even about him again. Look at his final stot line sixty two catches, eight hundred and eighty five yards, eight touchdowns. You're like, oh, that's like pretty good for rookie, Well, not a rookie that you draft. And I know Fits brought up comparing to his dad. His dad also wasn't a fringe verse round pick in fantasy as our rookie, right, So like that's why it's warped the perception of Marvin Harrison as a because yeah, he killed you where you drafted him. Because we should not have been pushing him up there. Why why was he he should have been going where Milik Neighbors was going? Because you look about.
Speaker 1: Would that have been better though? If he if he if he went where my Melik Neighbors or you would you would feel more confident that, like, this wasn't a bust of a season.
Speaker 4: Yeah, one hundred percent. I think it would have been way different because imagine if you because drafting the rookie that high, well, if you'd done if you had drafted Brian Thomas Junior instead of Marvin Harrison at the one two turn, you would have looked like a genius right when it all said and done, Like people have been like, what are you doing? It's like we put the wrong rookie there. And that just goes back to when we're hyping up these unproven players to an extent where it was almost impossible for him to meet expectations because we put them so high on the certain players. So I think that ties back to my lesson learned. Well, besides, like the hyped up rookie or any receiver or anything. I'm kind of taking Harrison just not even being a rookie, just the fact he was just an over hyped wide receiver in a brand new situation with a new quarterback we've never seen him play with before. I think that was an aggressive leap of faith. But it goes back to when it comes to rookies, especially pass catchers, you want the discount, right, that's the whole point. That's why we love rookies because you can get them later on because they're unproven. But with Marvin Harrison Junior, that wasn't ever part of the conversation, which is why I always argued, why draft Harrison when you can get the same rookie upside with league neighbors in round four with Brian Thomas Junior and round seven with Lat McConkie, and like that's that was always my argument. So when rookies get priced so expensively, well you're losing on half of the value of a rookie, and that's because they're cheaper because they're unproven. So those are that's kind of like my main takeaway when it comes to the Harrison thing. Now I'm just looking him as a rookie, but just as an overpriced wide receiver in general. I think that was more of his problem, not that he was a first year player.
Speaker 1: That's interesting. Yeah, I mean he finished forty second in points per game half PPR wide receiver, so that's still not I mean, it's not horrible. So maybe like me saying it's a big fat failure isn't as fair. But it's forty second, so that's still not super great. To your guys's point, it's hard when you compare like the old Marvin Harrison and then now take that old Marvin Harrison have a bunch of Jerry Rice's around him. It's like Brian Thomas and Malik Neighbors, like all these guys are these huge, big, you know, stars that produce big This wasn't really meant to be a Marvin Harrison thing. More in that, like you know, there is inherent risk and maybe the real conversation of this is the overpaying price of any of those rookies like Marvin. Like you guys should both said. Malik Neighbors benefit. Brian Thomas was a huge benefit. Think about where Brock Bauers is going relative to him. The excitement that we build up we built up. Let him fail. But I would also say, like, I guess that was fine of a season, But forty two at wide receiver is worse than all of those other rookie wide receivers. So and there might be, by the way, there might be a guy or two in this that, like I see one name, so let's call him forty one, that shouldn't count. But from a per game standpoint, like he was well under them, that is going to lead us to a nice, more fun big question surrounded it. But first we've got a special offer for you guys all. You can unlock a month of Betting Pros Premium for free. Download the Betting Pros app today. Use code fp free, get access to tools like the same game parlay tool, the prop bet analyzer, and props and price picks prop bet cheat sheet. It's easier to do than say, and don't miss out. You can try it for free for one month. Available on iOS and Android today, Go and download and get access to all those tools to make your bets. Plus, you can use the Betting Pros app just to experiment with betting. You don't actually have to like sync your books to it and make bets you can go and track your own betting. It's a pretty valuable tool. And you can access all of those great tools with promo code FP free. Okay, let's go back to rookies again. A funny other thing I want to add with Marvin Harrison that is, more to your guys's point in total points twenty ninth a wide receiver in half PPR, So that might be a little bit more benefit to what you guys are talking about as well. For the Marvin Harrison argument, much lower in per game, lots of guys that didn't end up playing. He did end up being like at least a wide receiver three. But what we did not talk about there were running backs. We saw no running backs on that list, not even Sniffin remotely close. Does Ashton genty buck this trend. This is actually going right up against the fear of what you guys were both talking about. FITZI, you and I did a show with Jake Seely talking about the first round and Jake put gent in this. So I'm gonna ask you, we saw no running backs last year. Running Back can be fickle, especially from a rookie standpoint, but sometimes these guys do do that Ericson. Let's start with you on this. Do you think Genty is going to buck the trend or is he setting up to be the next Marvin Harrison.
Speaker 4: Well, I would want to point out that, and I should have mentioned this when we're talking about Harrison, that rookie receivers are different rook running backs, Like, I think that's very I mean, Marvin Harris Junior was the most expensive rookie receiver ever in fantasy football. Like again, going back there, that's true, how ludicrous his price was on draft day. That's not the case with the rookie running I mean, we've seen rookie running backs dropped in Sakwon, Markley, e Isaical Elliott, Bijon Robinson. Now again, he didn't pay off his rookie ADP when he was like a top five pick, but he wasn't like, oh my god, this was the worst pick I ever made. Where Marvin Harris you definitely felt that a lot more than when you drafted Bijon in twenty twenty three. So now, I mean, if he gets the ideal landing spot like and just to the running class in general, we got to remember Lash's running class was terrible. It was not a good in the act. I mean, Jonathan Brooks was the first guy draft and he was injured right like like that. It's like like five plays exactly. So we really got like one major hit and it was Bucky Irving. And again he was a guy that was a Day three pick, and he carved out a big role in the Buccaneers offense. They went away from White. You had a good schedule, and he smashed down the stretch. This year's class is way different, so it's kind of the opposite. Where last year's rookie class very good at the receivers, not so much of the running backs. You're kind of getting the opposite here, so we got to adjust accordingly. We can't just copy and paste, well, all the rookie receivers were really good twenty twenty four, let's draft them all again really aggressively. Not necessarily the case. In the same thing with the running backs, where last year's class we knew going in, hey, this isn't as good as a class as we usually tend to see, and not as good as at least from my limited knowledge of looking at these potential prospects, that this twenty twenty five rookie running back class is much better. I'm sure that Fits can probably shed some more light on that as well.
Speaker 1: FITZI, what do you think is GENTI this year's Marvin Harrison, and that is from a not meeting the expectation if he goes in the first round.
Speaker 2: No, I think whoever drafts him is going to do so intending for him to be a workhorse running back, whether it's Dallas the Chargers. He's going to come in and have a heavy load right away, and I think he's going to be as good as advertised. So I don't think he's going to be a trap. But this running back class goes way beyond Ashton. Genty and Ericson nailed it. Like the class of twenty twenty four at running back not that good. This class is an absolute candy store. It's going to involuntarily retire a lot of fringy veteran running backs. It is deep, it is really talented, and I think people should take advantage of sort of the fog that's created by this volume of the excellent RB prospects, and they're going to be guys who slide through the cracks into the double digit round rounds in fantasy drafts. Jump on these Devin Neil types who people are going to be paying attention to genty as well as guys like you know, the the Ohio State duo with quinch On Judkins Traveon Henderson. But like it's so much more than that, and people should be willing to, you know, look deeper, because I think they're going to be like close to twenty really interesting running backs coming out of this class. Like it's that deep.
Speaker 1: And if you were not already following FITZI, you need to make sure to lock in because you get Fitsy is locked in and he is going to school you on all these guys, So make sure you are ready to get it, because we are not going to take last year's prospect running back class over to this year. As you said, it looks like there's going to be a lot more value and maybe a guy or two that's going to pop up on a championship team.
Speaker 2: And by the way, if I can do some cross promotion Welsh this week on our Dynasty show, our mutual friends Scott Bogman and I are going to be doing a pretty deep dive with Ryan Wormley on this year's rookie class. So anyone who wants to learn more about the Class of twenty twenty five for fantasy, might want to check out that show.
Speaker 4: Make sure you chet it extra credit with bogs and tits.
Speaker 1: That's right after the class Ooh, actually that's right. Yeah, it's not detention, not detention. If I bring up Marvin Harrison again, I'm going to go into detention. But that one, that one is a good one.
Speaker 4: All right.
Speaker 1: Let's go to number six on this list, tight end scarcity. So this is going to get Fitzy rolling again. Here did tight end scarcity matter? How did the top tight ends and eightyp perform and impact fantasy rosters this year overall? You know, to your point, I said chock and you were right. McBride was the chalk tight end, but Bowers wasn't. Bowers ended up just like quickly became like the number one guy. So you had a value tight end with huge upside. You had McBride at the top. We saw failure. I guess I'm maybe be careful about using the word failure, but we had like failure tight ends across the board on the back end that then leveled out. It was like all of a sudden, I was like, oh, TJ Hawkinson's like doing good and then like, you know, these guys were working but doing the late tight end thing didn't really feel well and didn't do good. So Fitzy, does tight end scarcity matter? And really that's just about your drafting next year? This maybe a better way to phrase this, and it was phrased was do you need to do the high high end tight end again?
Speaker 2: That's an interesting question. Whiles I had tricked myself in twenty twenty four into thinking that there was depth at tight end, so that was a big whiff. We did not have unprecedented depth tight end because a number of guys we were counting on. We thought maybe we'd milk another good season out of Travis Kelcey, he kind of hit the wall. We thought Dalton Kincaid was an up and coming tight end to target didn't really work out. There were a lot of guys who kind of didn't really work out in that regard, but it was important to get the tight end position right. Bowers was absolutely a right answer because he was going tight end eleven in ADP McBride I think was going tight end four and was worth that draft position and more. And George Kittle I had made the point back in August. Kittle is like seemingly never overdrafted and often underdrafted, and all the guy does, it's like they're gonna be games where he is asked to block a lot and doesn't run as many routes and maybe only sees three or four targets, and there are gonna be times when he gets hurt. He's got kind of a check in an injury history. But Kittle also every season gives you a bunch of smash weeks, and I think it's more important to focus on the smash weeks that he gives you rather than like tight ends are. They're duds all over the place, and you can overcome a four or five point tight end week, but there aren't many tight ends who can give you the fifteen to twenty twenty five point weeks, and George Kittle can do that. So I think he's going to continue to be one of those right answers. But do we focus exclusively on high end tight ends next year. I don't know. I want to. I kind of want to find the right answers for twenty twenty five, and I don't know if those are automatically going to be at the top of the ADP list of.
Speaker 1: The position, Erickson, do you think that the lack of depth at tight end this year is justified to carry over next year that will then in turn be wanting to draft higher tight ends or do you think again, this is another thing where it's like we just can't take over what it was last year, and there may be are good values because of the tight end position did kind of find itself at the back end of the year.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm still trying to wrap my mind around the Mark Andrews season, where like he looked like the biggest bust at the position and then he somehow was just scored a bunch of touchdowns, ended up finishing as a top five tight end, but it didn't really feel like that. And again, he was one of my guys I was drafting a ton of so like the beginning of the season was it was an absolute wreck. So I felt terrible about that, but then it turned things around.
Speaker 1: That's a fantasy thing too. By the way, I need to cut you off. I just wanted to throw this out. That's totally like my Marvin Harrison thing too, like the feel of Andrew's same thing. I had Andrews on way too many teams. The feel early on was like, boy, I made a big mistake, but then you know, like it really found itself and then it kind of came together. There are some of those players that, regardless of what the end result was, they had that feel they carried on all season. That is definitely those two Harrison and Andrews would be those. But yeah, please continue on on the tight ends and Andrews and all that.
Speaker 4: So I was looking back at my notes about avoiding tight ends and really, if you don't want to deal with the head, like, you just can't draft an early guy, like because the bus rates for these guys are so much higher where the early round tight ends that really felt like hits were. It was really like McBride, right, and even he was kind of like, is this guy ever gonna score a touchdown?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 4: So even the guy that you felt like hit was kind of like a double not even really a home run. The home run was brock Bowers, and that's because he was also a late roun tight end. He also being elite tight end Johnny Smith top five tight end. He was free. You could have picked him up off the way where you had been swimming in the tight end goodness. So I still think that, yes, if you can pinpoint the right guy early on, and that seems like it's probably just gonna be Bowers from here on out. But besides him, there are risks in fact, because with all these early round tight ends where if they don't fire like they're gonna bust, they're gonna bust hard and they're gonna hurt you. And the thing that is the toughest thing about it, and this goes from my roster management standpoint, it was impossible to like gold Mark Andrews. That's why I had him on all my teams because I invested so highly. And I'm think I see a month of him playing like I can't quit on him now, but like Isaiah, likely he's breaking out. What do I do? But because you invest it, you're like, I can't, I can't cut him to just drop for Isaiah, Like you're gonna be bouncing back and forth, You're gonna be dealing with that headache. So I've kind of come to the conclusion where it's like, if I don't want to deal with it, I'm happy to miss out on next year's trade. McBride, whoever that may be, but that means I avoid the Travis Kelsey's, the Laportas, the Dalton kin Kaid's, the Kyle Pitts, Like I don't have to sweat that, Like I'm not worried about that at all, and I'll just roll with Okay, maybe I'll stream Disley or I'll pick up John hu Smith. So I think late round titan always has a place, especially with you know, guys get hurt and Titans take on bigger roles when there are a lot of injuries. So I don't expect receivers to get hurt as much as they did this year. But I think late run tight end is always the approach to me that is going to be the safest and lead away from bus. Now you might miss again, like I said, like you'll miss on the McBride, But more often than not tight ends, I mean we all get frustrated by the position, like they usually let you down. When it's all said and done, you're justual get disappointed anyway, so don't pay for it.
Speaker 2: And by the way, John Wu was one of the there were four right answers at tight end this year, Bowers McBride, Kittle and John U and John who was a free agent in most leagues, and John Wu I think was the fourth most frequently rostered tight end on championship teams behind those Big three. So you can still do it opportunistically at tight end and make it work.
Speaker 1: He was He was available for way too long too. I remember us continuously talking about him. Well, we got a tight end giveaway another guy that you got late in drafts because there was an injury you could have paired TJ. Howkinson. Ladies and gentlemen, you've got a chance to win a sign t J. Hawkinson vikings helmet for free. He's got time for autographs now because he's no longer in the play and you could be the beneficiary of it, courtesy of our friends over at Pristine Auction dot com. All you've got to do is head over to Fantasypros dot com slash contest, complete the form, neither download the Fantasy Pros My Playbook app, leave review for the podcast, or follow us on x, Instagram and TikTok. That app is at Fantasy Pros. And the more actions you complete, the more entries you will receive. We'll be announcing a winner right here on the podcast as we do so. If you're watching on YouTube, Subscribe, turn on noties and you will be alerted when new episodes are up and maybe you can get your prize. All right, the final ones here, little lightning round ish. As we finish off with our lessons, you know Bell's about to ring here, so let's get through these. Twenty twenty four did not have a lot of league winning waiver wire pickups. I guess the first question is is this an avarition? And I think that's kind of impossible to even know because it's subjective. But I will put out here that the only three that I could come up with, and you guys might be able to identify better using this list going through the top four of most rostered players on Championship, I think the three big waiver wire pickups this year were McMillan, Bucky Irving, and Adam Feeling. Those are and Bucky Irving being the most dramatic one. I think you guys did your award show he was like the number one waiver wire pickup unanimously obviously. But those are the only three guys I really could identify. Maybe we could pick another guy or two here, but you know, do you think that changes what happened this past year in your approach at all as far as aggressiveness waiting a little bit longer. You know, the year before it was you had to be aggressive in week one for Poka. This year that didn't really exist. Ericson, let's start with you. Any change to fab this coming year, knowing what we know now now.
Speaker 4: I don't think so. I think I think this year was an apparition. Like you said, where I mean all the receivers. A lot more receivers got hurt, the running backs, and what happens is when Chris Godwin goes down like Jalen McMillan, doesn't become Chris Godwin the next week. That's just that's not how it works. But at running back, oh, that is much more likely how it works. And because you saw less running backs go down with season ending injuries. Again, Jordan Mason feels like he needs to recognized in some way, shape or form. But because his stuff was off front loaded, he didn't help you win championships, but he helped a lot of people recover from drafting. Christan mcaffey why number one overall. So had that happened in the second half of the season, we would be praising Jordan Mason, and that's usually what happens. Running Backs usually get hurt in the second half, not in the first half, and then come back. So and similar to Adam feelin right, a veteran receiver misses the first half of the season and then comes back. So a lot of weird things when it came to injuries. I think that we're going to go back to more of hey a lot into Fitz's point, and it was just like all melding in my mind, like, Yeah, the veteran running backs, they all stayed healthy for the majority of the season. The running back class was weak in twenty twenty four, the week the class is not weak in twenty twenty five. Do all these veterans run it back with a full bill of health for another year with all these talented rookies breathing down their neck. I'm not so sure. So I think that this year is a little bit more of an aberration with the waiverwund. I think you're going to see more league winning running backs you can pick up due to injuries in twenty twenty five.
Speaker 1: If it's the anything applicable in the fab market that from this year, you would take over to next year.
Speaker 2: Ericson really nailed it. The running back and the lack of injuries was kind of an anomaly. It's never how that happened. So we did not see the running back market was more predictable than usual because of this, and normally we see guys seese on opportunities, and often running back value is as much about opportunity as it is about talent, and we did not see a lot of reserve running backs get that opportunity to shine and become hot pickup. So it made the zero RB strategy I think a little less effective this year because a lot of times the zero RB drafters who sort of fade that position are counting on some running back value to bubble up on waivers that they can seize on. There were just not a lot of opportunities to seize on valuable waiver wire running backs this year.
Speaker 1: All right? Do kickers and defense matter at the end when we look at this data? Funny enough, like defenses, Miami was in the top ten of overall championship teams, so that tells you, okay, you know Miami was there, But of the top three defenses, it's like Miami, the Colts and then the Eagles. Like from a draft perspective, there's one that you were really in on on the Eagles, but they were higher owned the kickers though. Kickers there are three kickers that are but they're all under ten percent owned across leagues. And it was like Aubrey Bates McLaughlin, like it wasn't the guy. It wasn't like a dramatic amount, like one kicker stood over the other, but they were all kind of lesser owned. So it's a tough question because kickers and defense, who's interested in I feel like more kickers disappointed this year than ever. It was crazy. I mean down to saying Gonzalez's bing that just got in did drafting or maybe highly investing in quick pickups of defenses and kickers matter fitsie.
Speaker 2: I mean streaming is the way to go. Defenses and kickers are wildly unpredictable, not only year year, but week to week. The Colts were a popular streaming target for people at the end of the season. I think was a week sixteen when they played the Giants. Everyone picked up and played the Colts and they scored negative four points and Drew Locke torched the Colts defense. Whereas the Dolphins were a popular championship defense. They had a lay up matchup against the Browns in Championship Week, didn't even smash, just came through with twelve points. But a lot of teams that weren't championship games had them and thus won titles. That it makes the Dolphins look like they were some elite defense. They weren't. Johnny on the Spot stream defenses and be you know, one of the last people in your draft to draft a kicker.
Speaker 1: And yeah, I completely forgot about that Colts thing, Like that was the I've never seen so many people tweeting about a defense losing them a championship in my life, Like I couldn't imagine being a human being that tweets about that publicly, Like you're crying about a defense losing you. But I forgot that that happened. So it was big ericson same thing. Kickers in defense, what do you think extreme?
Speaker 4: I mean, if you drafted the first kicker, you probably took Justin Tucker and he was horrible, Like like the end comes from all these kickers. It's it's not worth it. In defenses, it's all about matchups, right, Like you could have drafted the Seahawks defense to start the year, and then you shift to somebody else, You shift to somebody else, and you end up on the Dolphins and Colts to win your league. So I think it's I think it's honestly, it's kind of like freeing to be like, I'm not tied down to a defense. I can just cut and drop and do as ever as I please, and I don't have to make these Oh should I roster two defenses? No? Like bye, I personally have no allegiance to any defense. I ride the hot hand and then immediately once they face a good quarterback, I'm like goodbye.
Speaker 1: Yep, all right, last two quick ones. Who is the biggest steal relative to their draft costs in twenty twenty four? And where are you drafting them in twenty twenty five? They give you relative to this data or anything. But we talked about ADPs, We've talked about champion Chip rosters. Biggest steal and where where are you drafting Bucky Irving? Is what I'm trying to ask you. But no, you can put your own player if you want in there. But it's always but it's Bucky to me. But FITZI, let's start with you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was Bucky because he went largely undrafted. I was looking at his ADP last night. It was anywhere from running back fifty to a running back fifty five depending on the source. So in twelve team leagues with eighteen player rosters, he was real marginal as to whether he would be drafted at all. So I'm drafting him probably top half of the second round.
Speaker 1: All right, ericson biggest steal from this past year, and where are you drafting him now?
Speaker 4: I won't say any rookies because we kind of talked about them already. So two veteran players, Jacksonith and Jigba. He was like around. I mean, he was a really light pig and he obviously smashed and of course I liked drafting him, and then I traded him away before I could benefit from any of his greatness. So that was very said. And then the other guy's Chase Brown. I mean, if he gets this RB one role, I mean he's like a CHRISI. McCaffrey level workload that they gave him. We'll see what ends up shaken out. But even if they bring in the draft somebody and it's not someone that we should be threatened by I mean Chase Brown mighty being of value because because there may be a market that is scared off of potential competition, but the upside of his role, I mean, he could be the number one running back based on his role in the Bengals offense. So I think that both these guys are probably going to be in that round two to three conversation. And I think that's the price you're gonna have to pay to get Smith and Jigba and Chase Brown.
Speaker 1: Final question, it kind of ties back to the very top. We looked at the all you know Championship roster team and we kind of talked about what was the standout, especially the guys that made the roster. Now based on all the data that we have, how and what specific position, if any, would your general draft strategy change based on the data that we saw. Would it be not gonna be defense because we talked about streaming, but you know, we saw what happened with the tight ends, wide receivers, running backs, quarterback. Based on the championship data of who made it everything that we've talked about ericson, we'll start with you, is there a position that will have any change whatsoever? Based off of what we've talked about today and what we saw in twenty twenty four.
Speaker 4: So quarterback is still late round for me. I think wide receivers are going to fall in drafts this year because of the RB renaissance we saw this past season. Tight ends again, if you don't want to draft the headache, then just wait on the position. From a strategy standpoint, running back is kind of my big takeaway here, and it's still that I want to go here RB no matter what. I can never be a firm zero RB draft because that means I'll never get ja Beer Gibbs, I'll never draft Seguon Barkley, I'll never offer the opportunity to draft a ultimate cheat code running back if I go full blown zero RB. Because yes, a lot of high scoring running backs come in the late rounds. You know, they also come in the first round of the draft with like with the obvious picks, so I always want to get exposure to those players. It didn't work with Breese Hall this year, but yeah, rounds one and two still have the best running backs they're going. They're going that high for a reason. I always want to get exposed to those guys, So That's why I always like to hear RB strategy, and I'll continue to deploy it in in twenty twenty five.
Speaker 1: You're allowed to say running back as well, but any position based off of all the data from a strategy standpoint, that might be altered, even just a tiny bit or significantly in twenty twenty five, I.
Speaker 2: Think I'm going to be more willing to go early round tight end than I have been in the past. I've been traditionally a dumpster diver at that position, and to see Brock Powers do what he did playing most of this season at age twenty one with one of the worst quarterback situations in the league. I don't think I ever took Travis Kelcey in the first round of a fantasy draft. I actually might be willing to take Brock Powers at the end of the first round this year.
Speaker 1: Well, class dismissed from your two professors, Andrew Erickson, Pat fitz Morris, lessons learned from this crazy season using some fun data, looking back at ADPs talking about positional stuff. You got it covered. I believe Fitzi's got an article on this that is probably going to already be out by the time this is airing, So if you want to get more of his internal thoughts kind of on a lot of this stuff, make sure you're tuned into Fantasy Pros throughout the off season. FITZI is going into hyper overdrive, ericson and I we are always rocking. There's a bunch of great content, more podcasts for the draft season. We're already looking to the new year. Seally, myself and Fitz already looked at a projected first round. So Fantasy Pros, we got you covered, my friends, and hopefully we give you some opportunities to take advantage of the BP free. That's a promo code over I'm Betting Pros and you know that TJ. Howkinson giveaway, So make sure you guys are locked in follow these boys on the social I'm Chris Well, So thank you so much for hanging out with us right here in Fantasy Pros and we will talk to you next time.
Speaker 3: Bye bye, friends, thanks for listening to the Fantasy Pros Fantasy Football podcast. If you love the show, the best free way to support us is by leaving a positive review on Apple Podcasts at Fantasy Pros dot com, slash review, or on Spotify.
Speaker 1: Follow us on x
Speaker 3: Instagram and TikTok At Fantasy Pros and subscribe to our YouTube channel at YouTube dot com Slash Fantasy Pros