Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, podcasts, radio news.
Speaker 2: The Stock Movers podcast, your roundup of companies making moves in the stock market, harnessing the power of Bloomberg Data.
Speaker 3: Let's take a look at some of the stocks on the move today in Europe. I'm Stephen Carroll and I'm joined by Bloomberg's EMEA earnings reporter Chloe Melee. Chloe, good morning to you a busy earnings day. Let's start with Recus, the consumer goods company. How are the Marcus digesting their results?
Speaker 4: Yeah, so Record didn't excuse me, did really well this morning. It shares that up by quite a bit. It boosted its revenue growth forecast for all of its kind of major brands, and it also announced a one billion pound buyback, so investors are quite happy about about both of those.
Speaker 1: Both of those news.
Speaker 4: This kind of comes as the as the Record is trying to kind of refocus on its core brands. So an example might be gaviscon for example, Yourex condoms. Those are the kind of core brands that Record is really trying to focus on, and then it's trying to move away from some of the non core brands. So, for example, it agreed to share quite a large part of its essential home business just last week to private equity firm Advent International. So the essential home business includes brands like Airwick the Air fresheners and innsil It Bank cleaners as well, so that will no longer be part of RECT going forward. It's also you are currently reviewing options for its Mead Johnson nutrition unit. That's a unit that has faced lawsuits in the US over infant formula. So it's really trying to kind of streamline the operations and it seems like so far that is paying off and its reflected in the shares this morning.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Indeed, it's my favorite game to play every time that we have recket results is what brands can you name?
Speaker 1: That recort do?
Speaker 3: And I would bring another one that perhaps Clerk can offer you afterwards, which it might be a strap cell which you might.
Speaker 2: Need as well.
Speaker 3: Yes, I think that some banking earnings next, some strong out performance that likes of BMP hiri about Deutsche Bank. People also heard from Lloyd's in the UK. What our investors telling us about those banks?
Speaker 1: Yeah, pretty good.
Speaker 4: Across the European banking sector this morning, so Dotchebank and BNP Barraba both be estimates, and that's on the back for both of those banks of really strong fixed income trading in particular, So this kind of echoes what we've seen from Wall Street banks that reported earlier in the season. The market volatility in the second quarter drove this kind of really good performance in that.
Speaker 1: Fixed income segment.
Speaker 4: The flip side of that is that for BNP in particular, the equities trading was a little bit weak. So fixed income trading revenue was up twenty seven percent, equity is trading down fifteen percent for BNP, So there's quite a big contrast there, and that's kind of worth keeping in mind when we get Barclays as well.
Speaker 1: For example, next week.
Speaker 4: Lloyd's was up this morning but then down a little bit now its profit b estimates and it also reaffirmed its guidance for the year. But we do have the UK Supreme Court ruling on the Motor finance the Motor Finance probe, you know, on which customers are should be compensated, and that's due later this month, so some of that uncertainty around what is going to happen there might be feeding into that little bit of weakness this morning.
Speaker 3: For Luin's and then turning to technology st Micro, their share is plunging almost ten percent at the moment.
Speaker 4: Yes, quite bad morning, first Micro, and I guess for the chip making sector in general, there's been quite a few bad news there. So firstly micro it posted a surprise loss of one hundred and thirty million dollars compared to expectations of a fifty million dollar profit, so obviously quite a big surprise there, and that is all due.
Speaker 1: To restructuring expenses.
Speaker 4: Anless noted as well that the gross margin was really below expectations, so that was not great either. But crucially, you know, in what's worth keeping in mind for this sector in general is that it really flagged weakness in the automotive industry, which is kind of its key end markets, and that's really weighing on the chip makers, including st Micro, that are exposed to that to that sector. You know, Tesla, for example, is a really key customer for st Micro and it just warned of a really a rough few quarters ahead.
Speaker 1: So the outlook is darkening a little bit by this meekness.
Speaker 4: And you know, we also have to see what the other chip makers are saying about this, but so far not So Good.
Speaker 2: The Stock Movers podcast from Bloomberg Radio. Check back with us throughout the day for the latest roundup of companies making news on Wall Street and for the latest market moving headlines. Listen to Bloomberg Radio Live, catch us on YouTube, Bloomberg dot com, and on Applecarplay and Android Auto with the Bloomberg Business app.