Speaker 1: Hey, Sabrina, I have a question for you that is going to of course lead into our wonderful or maybe not wonderful. I don't want to give away what our feelings are, but our movie of the day. Did you ever know any like legitimate geniuses growing up?
Speaker 2: No, I don't think so.
Speaker 3: I don't think I did either.
Speaker 1: Like there was one kid that skipped maybe two grades, but I never met the kid who was like eleven and had a PhD.
Speaker 4: Right, yeah, No, I've I've never met anyone. I feel like, well, didn't we meet Corbyn Blue? He seems like he was a change right exactly.
Speaker 1: It also depends on your definition of genius, because I met young actors or singers or dancers that were clearly genius level at.
Speaker 4: What Yeah, did I have met a I've had a couple of dancers through my program that I feel there like genius dancers as far as they just know their bodies so well, the way they do their improvs and just things like that, like just extraordinary levels.
Speaker 3: That would be me. That would be me.
Speaker 2: I think that you dance, You're on top of the list, top of the list.
Speaker 1: That's why I don't dance. It is because no, one else will be able to do it after me. It's just it would be rude. Yeah, absolutely, exactly, exactly.
Speaker 2: But yeah, no, I don't know anyone that was so young.
Speaker 3: Yeah, not at all, Not at all. Me neither. Well let's see if we can meet one today. But first, let me welcome me back to Magical Rewind, the show that makes you want to grab your friends, your pjs and your popcorn and go back to a time when all the houses were smart, the wave Tsunamis and the high School's musical.
Speaker 2: I'm Wilfordell and I'm Sabrina Brian.
Speaker 1: So let's put on some sunglasses, break out the oversized leather jacket, and just be a total dick to everyone, you see, because.
Speaker 3: It's time to break down. Nineteen ninety nine's dcom comedy Genius. This is another one of those very strange third party productions. But that third party this time was Deek Dic, which I'm sure if you are a certain age you know exactly what that is, because after certain cartoons you'd hear Deek. It's a famous.
Speaker 1: Production company that had their hands in Inspector, Gadget, Heathcliff and the Littles, and whose name stood for, and this is the truth. Do it cheap, which Disney loves, which makes sense because by nineteen ninety nine they're owned by the Disney Company. It was some very easy synergy to get it on the channel and add it to the Forever Library, which of course reminds me. Genius is available now to watch on Disney Plus. So go ahead and fire it up now or keep it warm for later. It's up to whatever the weather's like in your little neck of the woods. It first aired August twenty first, nineteen ninety nine, and you'll be happy to hear that Genius is unlike I think our last film, which we didn't understand why Genius is a critical favorite in the world of nostalgia on the list we commonly mentioned this is an absolute staple. On Complex's twenty twelve list, this was a very very impressive number six of twenty five best Dcoms ever, while Collider had it at number thirty one. Yet still it sits just under fifty percent on Rotten Tomatoes, but Rotten tomatoeses Rotten Tomatoes. It's also worth pointing out that many historians consider nineteen ninety nine to be the peak dcom year and here's why. Here's some of the nineteen ninety nine's lineup. It has a lot of bangers. Some we've already covered, some we haven't, but here you go. So ninety nine had Xenon, Girl of twenty first Century, Can of Worms, thirteenth Year, Smart House, Johnny Tsunami, Genius, Don't Look under the Bed Horse sense.
Speaker 3: It was quite a time to be alive.
Speaker 2: It really was.
Speaker 3: Ninety nine seemed to be the year of the dcom is.
Speaker 4: Absolutely when I was watching d COM's when they aired.
Speaker 3: Right, it's your perfect time.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 1: The film also involved something which Disney knows a little bit about in Love's which is ice hockey. So they had The Mighty Ducks in ninety two and D two The Mighty Ducks and ninety four both being big hits for the studio. Also in ninety eight, Matt Lawrence and I did a Wonderful World of Disney called ht Double Hockey Sticks, also about hockey.
Speaker 2: That came up on My Disney Plus the other day?
Speaker 3: Did it? Wait? What? How it's not on Disney Plus? No?
Speaker 2: I saw I maybe?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 2: Is it on YouTube? It came up when I was watching it.
Speaker 3: It's on YouTube? My guess is Susie King.
Speaker 4: I looked at Jordan, I was like, one time, yoah, it was Susie cute. You're right, I said, we have not watched this yet, and Jordan's like, I am definitely watching that one with you.
Speaker 2: I have to watch it.
Speaker 3: Yes, okay, good, well it gets to ah double hockey.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I liked it was a good movie.
Speaker 1: But then, strangely, out of nowhere, Disney then ended up owning an actual NHL team of the same name, the Mighty Ducks, which still seems fake, but they did.
Speaker 3: Either way.
Speaker 1: This was well known territory for them, so I'm sure they welcomed the subject matter with very open arms. Now we couldn't completely confirm this, but since so many of the actors in this movie are from Canada and it involves hockey, it's pretty safe to say this was shot in Canada.
Speaker 3: I can also. I mean, let's put it this way.
Speaker 1: One of the guys they originally cut to you on the hockey team, and I'll always remember his name, was a stuntman.
Speaker 3: Named Branco RECKI really he was.
Speaker 1: Up in Canada and I saw him right there front and center, and he's a staple in Canada. I believe it was in Toronto. So I'm guessing they shot this in Toronto because I recognized him. I was like, I know him, so I'm lack and also confirm that I think this was shot in Canada. So if I'm wrong, sorry, but I'm pretty sure I'm right.
Speaker 3: Sorry, didn't Now, had you heard of this movie before we did the new podcast?
Speaker 2: Nope, even even in ninety nine, even peak when you watch out, I did not remember this. And what's weird is I loved all of.
Speaker 4: The Mighty Ducks movies that I love that kind of stuff, So it is weird that it didn't.
Speaker 2: It didn't hit my radar.
Speaker 3: Yeah, in multiple wheelhouses for you, the hockey.
Speaker 1: D coms and the nineties, and yeah, do you want me to actually answer that question whether I've heard of this movie or not? I, of course i'd never.
Speaker 3: Heard of this one.
Speaker 1: I've heard of Baby Genius, but I think that's a different movie.
Speaker 2: I'm pretty sure that's not this one.
Speaker 1: But before you lace up your skates and float to the ceiling, let's get into the synopsis. A brilliant fourteen year old maintains a double life of being a studious overachiever in college and a cool, flunky middle schooler, all as a difficult to juggle attempt to fit in. Early thoughts, Sabrina, what'd you think of the film?
Speaker 4: First of all, the second our main character comes on, Uh adorable, right, total adorable.
Speaker 2: So adorable. I loved it.
Speaker 4: I loved the beginning, him and his father's their relationship was super cute. Always the gadgets that I'll get into with sabretta tease, those were fun.
Speaker 2: But I liked it at first. I was like, oh, this is cute.
Speaker 4: I'm totally getting comfy ready to see like a great movie.
Speaker 1: Okay, I did not dislike it. You know again, the main kid great, She's awesome. The two of them together were wonderful. Some of it makes zero sense, I mean even not even for d coms, where you're just kind of like, wait, what what just happened there? How did Yeah, there's a lot of big holes in it. But that being said, it is to me and it is what it is.
Speaker 3: Kind of movie. Yeah, hockey college, fun kid, you know, ROMP, what do you expect? Yes, the movie?
Speaker 1: Speaking of the fun Kid. The movie stars Trevor Morgan as Charlie Boyle aka Chazz Anthony and Trevor was a phenomenal child actor. He first broke out on Er in nineteen ninety eight, which again I only found out was actually called Er about a month ago. I just called it Err, but is best known as Tommy in The Sixth Sense, where he played Hailey, Joe Osma's best friend of the movie and apparently they were also best friends in real life. Trevor w also went on to play Mel Gibson's son in The Patriot, and that performance impressed Steven Spielberg so much he was cast as the lead Eric Kirby in Jurassic Park three. So quite the resume, and Trevor is still acting today and a very familiar name. In twenty twenty four, Emmy Rawsome plays Claire Addison. She was only thirteen when this movie was made, like she was already six feet tall next time to Trevor, so either Trevor hadn't had his growth spurt yet or Emmy had hers early. But she had barely been anything by the point of doing this movie.
Speaker 3: But since has become a premier name in Hollywood.
Speaker 1: Nominated for a Golden Globe in two thousand and five for her part in the movie version of Phantom of the Opera.
Speaker 3: She's the Phantom of the oh.
Speaker 1: She also played Fiona Gallagher on the popular long running cable show Shameless and could be seen great and seen in movies like The Day After Tomorrow and Mystic River. She most recently played Angeline, in a limited series about the Hollywood icon who drives around the city in a pink corvette. I saw her like a month ago at Staples, not the Staples Center, just the regular Staples where you buy Office of Bike and more. Canadian Proof is seen with actor Yannick Bison, who plays tough guy Mike McGregor. Yanick is very famous up North as Detective William Murdoch in the TV show The Murdoch Series, a role he has played for fifteen years.
Speaker 3: Wow. Yeah amazing.
Speaker 1: It did actually air here in the States on Ovation under the name The Artful Detective. I think my mom watched it. But he is Canadian TV royalty A.
Speaker 3: He's amazing.
Speaker 1: And lastly, in the Dabney Coleman spot Rest in Peace, Dabney, we have Charles Fleischer. Charles is best known to the Disney crowd as the voice of Roger Rabbit and who framed Roger Rabbit. He also appeared in David Fincher's Zodiac movie, which is nothing like Roger Rabbit at all, as well as the original Nightmare on Elm Street and Back to the Future too. He has a career that dates all the way back to Rowan and Martin's laugh In and is just an absolute character actor legend. The movie was directed by Rod Daniel, who started in TV on shows like Ugh, wait for It Because It's a list of some of my favorites WKRP in Cincinnati, Newhart and Magnum p I Dun dun Dun dun da du dun da Sorry, only to get his big cinematic break with the hit movie Teen Wolf in nineteen eighty five. Every when I read this man's resume, he suddenly became one of my who you wish you could have at your dinner table, you know, like the ten people you'd have.
Speaker 3: Rod Daniel was creeping up the list here.
Speaker 1: You would also go on to direct like Fatherlike Son K nine and The Super with Joe Peshi, But unfortunately he would pass away in twenty sixteen at the age of seventy three after a battle with Parkinson's disease. The movie was written by John I want to say this name right, I think it's Reek and this is his only writing credit ever. He was joined by a writing team of Jim Lincoln and Dan Studeney, who also worked on Honey I Shrunk the Kids, the TV show, as well as the Weird Science TV adaptation and much later Desperate Housewives, which is not like Honey Kids at all.
Speaker 2: Like either of no, very different.
Speaker 3: Geezh Okay.
Speaker 1: Now do you remember anything you did when you were a kid to be cooler at school that you look back on.
Speaker 3: And now you're like, Oh, that wasn't that doesn't age?
Speaker 4: Well, mean, oh cool like this, yes when I was, I guess. I mean, I don't know if I don't hate it. It's just kind of shows where I was in life at that time. When I was younger in elementary school, and I told you before, I went through a little bit of a tomboy stage right really into soccer. I also still danced and did all that stuff, but I was really into soccer. I loved being able to play on the field with the boys. So I you know, instead of calling me Sabrina, I asked everyone to call me bri and I spelt it were ee, Like I started signing my name that way, and I felt like Brie was tougher. Brie was it was my nickname. My family already calls me, do they still? Yeah, my parents and yeah, some of my friends that would catch on, Like now I have adult friends that call me Brien. I'm like, that was seven hundred years ago.
Speaker 3: Do you like do you like it? Or do you not like it? I'm curious. So some people don't like their nicknames.
Speaker 2: To me, it depends.
Speaker 4: It weirds me out when someone sort of starts hanging around my family more and then just start calling me that.
Speaker 3: Like, yeah, my family, Yeah, I get bad.
Speaker 4: New person calls that kind of throws me off, But I really don't care for people that have known me for a long time.
Speaker 2: It doesn't bother me. But yeah, so I think that's the.
Speaker 4: Only thing that I kind of did go through a stage where I really insisted I was one of those people that insisted you called me Brie.
Speaker 2: I don't go by s Breen anymore.
Speaker 3: It's and then I.
Speaker 4: Dropped it, like is that weird if I just call that's the nickname I hate the most.
Speaker 2: I hate Sab.
Speaker 3: I didn't even know what such a thing. I know, I know, I.
Speaker 2: Don't really actually care, but it is one that's.
Speaker 4: Like like it's cringey, like sabah.
Speaker 1: I had a nickname for some people growing Some people either call me Wilbur or Wilfred, which I didn't like.
Speaker 3: But now as I got older, I kind of like Wilfrid yone.
Speaker 1: I would always say my name. I'd say I'm Wilfred L and people you're Wilfrid l. Okay, So I would constantly at high Wilford high Will And then an next girlfriend called me Wilford all the time. I have some friends that call me Wilford, And at first I was like, I don't know if I like that, And now I'm like, yeah, it's fine. Yeah, you know, which is just changes to the Wilford and Bree show.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, I do not do this before telling you.
Speaker 3: Man, it's amazing season two. Now.
Speaker 1: By the way, everything I did was cringe growing up. I did never do anything cool. No matter how hard I tried, it just didn't work.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 4: I don't feel like I don't have a lot of super regrets. I feel like there's things that I remember, like my learning experiences, that I'm like, man, yeah, that was not nice or whatever.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, I always yeah, yeah, but.
Speaker 2: I feel I feel really pretty good.
Speaker 4: I mean I had I you know, I had the normal stuff, the normal stuff.
Speaker 3: And by the way, everybody makes mistakes. We're all human.
Speaker 1: The only thing you do is you take those mistakes and try to use them to become a better person.
Speaker 3: That's all you can do everybody.
Speaker 4: Of course, yeah, I think that. That's how I look at it is. I feel like I learned lessons of things that you.
Speaker 3: Know, all they are, Yeah, lessons, that's how you take them.
Speaker 4: I feel the same thing with Brie. It's just like a part of me, you know, it's like, yeah again, you.
Speaker 3: Know, we're all human, Sab, we're all human. I won't. I won't, I promise.
Speaker 2: Not true, it's not true. I know Jensen's gonna listen to this.
Speaker 4: This next trip, next next freaking movie is gonna be Sab Sab sadchabsam sasa.
Speaker 3: Never Brie, we won't do that too.
Speaker 1: The movie opens in an empty ice skating rink with a little boy and glasses wearing his school uniform suit. He's playing hockey by himself and announcing it as if he's an all star player against Eric li Intros and Mark Messier.
Speaker 3: He shoots his scores. But this is just young Charlie Boyle, and he's a little genius, hence the title of the movie. He tells his dad, who owns the rink, that he's been working on how to use pock velocity and the rate of forward momentum, but his dad doesn't understand any of it. No one in his family has actually ever been to college. He just needs his son to help clean up the ice and stop bringing rollerblades into the It's bad for business. Charlie has to be somewhere soon, so instead of breaking out the zamboni, he debuts his new invention, a machine with magnetic charges that messes with molecules and cleans the ice with just the press of a button. He'd be a jigillionaire.
Speaker 1: That's all I was thinking, is this throwaway invention at the beginning.
Speaker 4: I honestly, at this point in the movie thought, oh, okay, so this is gonna be about a kid bringing this new invention to the world.
Speaker 2: And it's this I thought all I thought.
Speaker 4: I had a whole other idea of where this movie was going.
Speaker 2: But it was shown, and then off to college.
Speaker 3: See us, he'd be a bajillionaire. Did you skate? Did you grow up ice skating? Because you're an Orange county where it's not.
Speaker 4: There are a couple rinks. I did a skate a little bit. Yeah, I had it on my resume, that's for sure.
Speaker 3: That doesn't mean anything. I had a horseback rider mind.
Speaker 2: All right. But I did have to do it at an audition.
Speaker 4: I did have to know how to skate for I think that a Christmas movie I did okay, And then in high school did you did you ever do this? It was called broom hockey.
Speaker 3: No, we're from the East Coast. We used real hockey.
Speaker 2: Okay, well this isn't in a hockey rink. This is a hockey.
Speaker 4: It was something that for a time because there was a rink in her area where you use not hockey sticks.
Speaker 3: And you go out there in mid nineties, that was a big party. Did you play broom hockey?
Speaker 4: Yeah? You do it after like a homecoming dance, and you know, after the dance, you guys go and do broom hockey or whatever, and so dangerous. Oh yeah, that was such a bad idea. I don't know if they still do that anymore, but.
Speaker 3: I call it the wrist breaker Challenge, wrist.
Speaker 2: Breaker shin cracker. I mean, it just was like so bad.
Speaker 4: I mean, so many people got hurt. It was so DUMBA that was a little bit of it too. And then I went recently and I was so scared. We were on the tiniest rink because again I live in Orange County. Sure they set up rings during the wintertime. This diameter of this rink was way too small for adults and children to be on at the same time.
Speaker 2: I kept seeing I just.
Speaker 4: Kept seeing one of these little kids just slice their their's skate up in the air and come straight towards my jugular.
Speaker 2: I was like, throwing off of this.
Speaker 3: I don't like it.
Speaker 2: This is dangerous. These people don't know what they're doing. I don't really know what I'm doing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was not good at it, even growing no, even growing up back east, I had to learn for h double hockey.
Speaker 2: He just made fun of me about it. And I remember you telling.
Speaker 4: Me specifically about a situation with a pros ice skater.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, Nancy Kerrigan.
Speaker 1: Nancy Kerrigan was I skated with Nancy Kerrigan and I skated with some most of the professional hockey players from acha ball hockey sticks, and I still don't. But again, I'm a good skater, I'm a good skier, I'm a good snowboarder. I'm a good skateboarder. I can't stop on any of those things. So going straight in one line not a problem. Stopping that doesn't.
Speaker 2: Work the stopping. Can you turn?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I can turn, so maybe you could just turn.
Speaker 1: No, it's bad for everybody involved, Sabrina, don't start with me.
Speaker 3: Charlie himself is now off to the street hockey game where he hopes he finally gets to come off the bench to play, and this is where we get our first rollerblading scene, another big thing in Disney movies.
Speaker 1: As kids play hockey in the street, Charlie is of course completely ignored parked on the bench because well, all the kids think he's a dork. Even after he debuts his rocket speed special puck, he's still just too dorky to play. And while bench we see that Charlie's troubles aren't just with his hockey stick. It's also with his riz with the ladies. As it was because he tries to talk to a girl seated next to him and ooh, it does not go well, to the point where she just gets up and walks away without even responding. It was like a very sixth sense kind of moment where it's like, hm, maybe Charlie's actually dead this whole time. Later that night, Charlie is working in his room and he tells his dad he just wants to be cool. His dad says everything will work itself out when he goes to Harvard, and he reveals an acceptance letter for the eighth grader and similar ones from Princeton, MIT, and Caltech.
Speaker 3: But even with these big names giving him absolutely full rides, full scholarships, Charlie wants to go to the Northern University of Wisconsin, where he's also been asked to not only go as a student, but to teach some courses because his hero doctor Krickstein works there and is very close to discovering the graviton, a way to manipulate and even defy gravity. It's a gravity particle, is what they're trying to find, and a way to manipulate and even defy gravity. And Krickstein's lab is just below the school's hockey rink because they have to keep the all the machinery for the gravitron, gravitator, graviteam cold. So it's underneath hockey.
Speaker 1: And so it's all of Charlie's favorite things wrapped into one, science and hockey. He's sure he wants to go there, so his father throws out his Harvard letter in a very dramatic slow motion effect where you see that the letter slowly fall Harvard label first into the trash can. We are now off to Northern University of Wisconsin for Charlie's first day.
Speaker 3: He stumbles onto the hockey team.
Speaker 1: Practice because he knows that's where he wants to go, and boom.
Speaker 3: He watches from afar.
Speaker 1: The coach explains that they need to beat Rumson this year, obviously setting up who their big rivals are, and to do that they have to avoid the Rumson rack, which is a shady move where they distract a team member and then attack their star player, essentially just trying to knock him out of the game. It starts first with an assault on the umpire or the referee and the ref and then goes into a full on assault on the team player.
Speaker 3: It's pretty it's very.
Speaker 1: Shady and Northern university is very happy because they thought they were finally going to get a rink without a science flab underneath it, But they have since found out that they recruited some quote unquote kid genius to work with doctor Krickstein and it has ruined their chances.
Speaker 3: For their own arena. Also, if they don't beat Rumson, the team could be dissolved and the coach could lose his job. Lots of stuff writing on this one game seems to be an awful lot of lives writing on this Now, just when the angry team starts slamming their sticks and want to know who this nerd kid is that has ruined their chances of having their own rink, the university d Of course, Charlie is trying to hunker away, like, oh, they can't see me. The university dean.
Speaker 1: Pops up and yells out Charlie Boyle and reveals our kid in hiding. The dean has been looking for Charlie everywhere. It's time to go meet doctor Krickstein, but the hockey team now knows exactly who they want to kill.
Speaker 3: Oh jeeves.
Speaker 1: Now we get down to Krickstein's lab and it is actually pretty much a dump the gravity chan Tron, Big Gravity. The gravity machine looks like it's just a big toy, nothing like Charlie was actually hoping for. And he even has a quick flashback to that weird Harvard Special Effect shot where the letter is falling slowly into the trash can. But the professor is really excited to see Charlie and shares his passion for apparently eradicating this horrible thing we know of as gravity.
Speaker 3: I'm kidding.
Speaker 1: He obviously just wants to make people float, and the idea of stuff floating all over the place is a dream for both of these young well one young and one older scientist. But Charlie is in for it now because he is stuck. But he's like, hey, I'm gonna ride this out. We're going to do what we have to do, and at least he has his roommate to look forward to, which led me to a question. You went to college, I never did?
Speaker 3: Did you have a roommate?
Speaker 2: I did?
Speaker 3: Did you enjoy said roommate? Oh, geez, I did?
Speaker 2: That seems like a lie, you know.
Speaker 3: Like a lie, Sabrina.
Speaker 4: I'll just you know, well, the first semester I only was in the dorms, for a semester, and out of that semester, I was shooting the first Cheetah Girls movie for eight of the weeks, right, So I was not very quickly. I was not there that much. I shared it with two roommates. We first got there and kind of set it up, and we all had very different decor ideas, which were very similar to our styles. I had one girl who had SpongeBob SquarePants everything. Okay, I had my Everyone's gonna probably giggle at this, but I had like a Cheetah black and white.
Speaker 2: This was really really before the Cheetah Girls that I.
Speaker 4: Had gotten to my buddy already. Yeah, animal print was very big. It was like animal print stuff. My other roommate was a film major and she had her favorite you know. She had Chicago and Cabaret posters. She also is a big Candles fan. Yeah, so I mean, I thought, no problem. I again, I like different styles. I don't need people to be the same ways. I'm thinking, really, I'm very excited. We're getting ready to go to our first day of freshman orientation. They had been kind of talking a lot. I was trying to chime in, you know, But at the end of the day. We were all going to go to orientation as everyone does the first day with your dormmates because that's all you know on campus.
Speaker 2: And I'm I'll never forget this.
Speaker 4: I'm in the bathroom and I'm straightening my hair and I hear the door shut and I'm like, hello, Hello.
Speaker 3: They left you? Sa I.
Speaker 4: No, Luckily there was the We had a suite, so it was a dorm a dormant in the middle we shared, you know, like a Jack and Jill bedroom type thing, and luckily are sueet mates.
Speaker 2: They hadn't left yet, so I was like, can I come with you guys? They're like sure, and we went down. But that was kind of the dynamic, you know, they just kind of you know, didn't.
Speaker 3: Oh did you ever become friends with them? Or No?
Speaker 4: Not really, you know, it was I got along with them, they didn't. They didn't bother me. I don't know if I really bothered them. Again, I wasn't there that long.
Speaker 3: I take it there not still in your lives.
Speaker 4: No, I think I've I might be friends with one of them on Facebook or Instagram or something like that.
Speaker 2: But no, definitely not like that.
Speaker 4: My my sorority sisters were my community, my my fam at college, and I was in and out of college a lot, because that's right when the Cheetah.
Speaker 2: Girls were going.
Speaker 4: So but yeah, you know, and I don't I don't know if they were being malicious or they or I don't know, but it was definitely one of those moment they were.
Speaker 3: Just adverse to animal print. That's also possibility.
Speaker 2: Maybe it was definitely one of those moments where I felt like.
Speaker 3: Bad mouth SpongeBob.
Speaker 1: That could they might have heard you bad mouthing SpongeBob under your breath or something.
Speaker 2: I don't know. I don't think so.
Speaker 4: I mean, I was shocked and appalled that that was gonna have to be in the room the whole.
Speaker 2: Year, of course, but you know, she do you do? You right?
Speaker 4: Like I wasn't gonna change my bedding, that's for sure, So it's not like that.
Speaker 3: So she had SpongeBob's bedding as well.
Speaker 4: She puts SpongeBob she was next to the window. She puts SpongeBob's curtains up on our window. Okay, well junior in college and I was like, okay.
Speaker 2: I mean, what are we gonna do? Like, you know what, it's a dorm room.
Speaker 3: It's a dorm room.
Speaker 2: That's the thing about college wells.
Speaker 4: When you have people that you talk to, you're either somebody who loved your college room and everyone came to your room, or you had a friend who everyone went to there.
Speaker 2: I have friends that I went to I didn't.
Speaker 3: I played college guys on ye And how was that? It was? It was great?
Speaker 1: I think I played them well anyway. Unfortunately, Charlie's roommate is one of the hockey goons that's already mad about him in the rink renovation. But he walks in and it's called the Layer and it looks like a big party spot. Why they would take the eighth grader and put him into the hockey party suite I don't understand, but obviously they want to set up the characters like that.
Speaker 3: Correct, So it seems like it's either two rooms or one massive room that they're sh sharing.
Speaker 4: One of the things in Sabrina's for sure, that was not a dorm room in any sense. I mean, you can have suites and things like that, but you don't have a common area that.
Speaker 2: Big for three for two people like No, it's very Yeah, it was huge.
Speaker 4: I mean it reminded me of a movie that man was called Skulls, Like they had these dorm rooms.
Speaker 2: You know, they had these dorm rooms where you're just like, dude, that looks amazing. You get to college and you're like what, But.
Speaker 1: That's also I think there's Skulls that when you get to that level of being the underground, killy kind of cult, maybe fraternity, you get I don't know.
Speaker 2: I don't know a regular anyway.
Speaker 3: Again, I don't know.
Speaker 4: You see movies that have these dorm rooms and then you get into yours and you're realizing.
Speaker 2: Your closet's this big, your death.
Speaker 1: College is all just pitch perfect to me. That's all I know of college anyway. The hockey goon, Mic obviously doesn't want to live with the eighth grade science weed, no matter how big the is, creepily big as to bring to point it out, and even worse the class that Charlie has to teach while the hockey meanies are in that too. Mike even throws what can only be seen as a giant thing of mashed potatoes or a dead.
Speaker 3: Bird or something normal where from I have no idea.
Speaker 4: You must have brought it with him, bring it to the first day of school like they hate their teacher, so I.
Speaker 3: Have things to throw at my teacher just in case.
Speaker 1: And when he gets back to the dorm, Mike has already moved out, which is very sad.
Speaker 3: He knows he has to live by himself.
Speaker 1: And then of course there's a loud gathering students outside that keeps him up all night long. Small footnote here there are visible beer bottles and solo cups in the shot, giving yet another drinking moment in a.
Speaker 3: D coom our.
Speaker 1: Second ever, this one luckily did not end in six different car crashes. While talking about the lack of a social life, krick Stein suggests that a good scientist doesn't keep repeating the same bad experiment. They have to make changes for different results. So when Charlie walks in to see a pretty figure skater which remember this scene because it is very h double hockey sticks, we do this exact scene scene h double hockey sticks. But when he sees her skating around, he takes his advice to heart and quickly changes from the dork that he normally is to a cool guy. He ditches his glasses and on the spur of the moment, makes up a persona and starts calling himself Chaz Anthony, saying he's from Chicago, and all of a sudden, he's like this rizzed up cool character. Just think Andrew Dice Clay meets Robert Pattinson. But he learns the figure skater isn't a freakishly tall college student. She's his age and goes to nearby Franklin Middle School. Would you fall him for this transformation, Sabrina, just change the name and all of a sudden, you're the cool guy.
Speaker 4: I mean, he I felt was even cuter than with I mean I loved him with his glasses and he looks so cute.
Speaker 2: I thought, I thought this kid was so adorable.
Speaker 3: So Sabrina's in.
Speaker 2: I probably I would have been. And he seemed like a nice guy.
Speaker 3: He wasn't until he became Chazz. Then he became a bit of a douche.
Speaker 2: When he showed up at school, but not at the school rink.
Speaker 3: Yeah no, that's true. At the rink. He hadn't gone full douche yet.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he was him. He was sweet, he looked very nice. I thought he was adorable.
Speaker 3: That was good.
Speaker 1: Back in the lab, Charlie realizes what he has to do to become a regular kid, and he goes on in his computer and he signs up to be a student at Franklin Middle School, but as Chaz Anthony, his new cool guy persona that also has on sunglasses, the world's biggest leather trench coat, and he means business. He kind of looks like he's in the matrix if nothing actually fit Neo. In his first middle school class, he arrives late and acts like the total d bag we were just talking about. He's disrupting the teacher and he's emulating exactly what he saw the hockey goon Mike do to him. He also gets his jacket stuck in the door and is it off like he was leaving the class. He's got a real class clown kind of jerky vibe. He's become a real idiot, but he does it all to impress the girl, and he ends up making a friend right off the bat Odie and he then looks over and bam, there is Claire So in all of his classes too. Where he's a rude idiot, He now all of a sudden has a girl, well, a girl who he likes. We don't know how she feels about him yet, and a best friend who's like, bro, you are the coolest guy in the world. I can't believe that. This is where we get into the whole thing about girls liking bad boys.
Speaker 3: Is this true?
Speaker 4: It was for me, but I also really liked the like cute, I did you know what, but.
Speaker 3: If bad boy's next to a nerd, you're gonna go for the bad boy.
Speaker 2: And yeah, yeah it's true.
Speaker 3: Okay, all right, I yeah, your husband wasn't a bad boy, right, he seems like a super No, he was the final like thank you, okay, thank you?
Speaker 2: Oh my god.
Speaker 1: Actually, the women get to us. That's just the way it is, just the way it is us nerds. We grew up to rule the world, for the record. So now here's one of the other things that I want to point out here. They then do a scene at one point where Chaz talks to his two friends about how he has a crush on Claire and she's an Honor Roll student. But he says, Honor Roll students, trust me, they don't feel that way. But all of this conversation taking place full voice right next to.
Speaker 4: Claire yep, right next to her, I mean right behind her across the desks, is one thing. But the guy who's sitting next to her in the desk.
Speaker 3: Yes, he's answering, like, that's a risky move, bro. It was weird.
Speaker 4: I was like, what are they doing that'd set her up to turn around and go I'm right here.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I can hear you, boy, I can hear you. I'm literally sitting next to you. Do you think I'm invisible anyway?
Speaker 1: Now, with everything going on, Chaz now has a huge predicament in his life because he now has to rush back and forth between junior high and college. But he is immediately caught by Krickstein, who saw the enrollment site on his computer. So Charlie has to admit to him that he's got this double life, and Krickstein, because he lived the life that Charlie did, was actually cool with it and even a little jealous. But as long as he kind of says, dude during college song, she got your work done, I'm good, which makes sense. We even get a scene where we see Charlie is practicing as Chaz, he's trying to be a rapper, and then his elvis and it's a very very strange, bizarre, weird scene in the movie where he's just they just set up the camera and just kind of said, all right.
Speaker 2: Go, I thought it was so cute.
Speaker 5: Oh, I love Sabrina's just in on Chazz and Charlie. Like Charlie, the bad boy act ramps up.
Speaker 1: He's rollerblading in the class late, he's getting six detentions in two days. But he does also create just the weirdest remote controlled skeleton display that dances for a science class. It starts cool and it looks really real and it was cementing as the class clown. It impresses the teacher though, because of his scientific thought to build it. But then they cut to just really bad animation. Yeah, it's so bad it takes you out of it.
Speaker 2: It didn't need to be that way either.
Speaker 4: Just the slight things to keep that going a little bit.
Speaker 2: Just the slight things were great.
Speaker 3: The bunny ears, Yeah, tapping him on the shoulder, all that worked great.
Speaker 4: Because he still could have gotten caught it. It's not like it needed to be that extreme. It could have just kept in that small, like just the hand gestures. And then finally because he's got a boom box, Yeah, a boombox for yeah, you could see it. He couldn't still absolutely gotten caught trying.
Speaker 1: To be you know in 'picuous while holding remote this big like who's gonna notice?
Speaker 3: Who's gonna notice that?
Speaker 4: At first no one was, and that starts to hit up my Sabrina seats like nobody sees this.
Speaker 2: And then finally like some of the students did.
Speaker 1: And then and then the teacher saw it. But it was bad animation. It really took you out of it. It wasn't necessary now, But again it impressed the teacher because the scientific thought, maybe Chaz is a genius after all, just like this eighth grader that the teacher has heard about at Northern University. Back at the college, he's running back and forth, Charlie continues to teach class and get tormented by Mike. We should also note here that Yannick Bison, the actor playing Mike, was thirty years old at the time of playing the college student and looked every day of forty years old. He did, he just they cast They went older with this guy. They also he's he's he's acting out in class. Mike is acting out in class like Chaz is acting out in class. So Chaz is obviously taking his cues from Mike. But when Charlie is trying to teach the class, and Mike then goes up and makes fun of him in the class. Charlie then leaves like you're a jerk, which kind of you can see. Actually, Mike starts to feel bad about they're showing that his forty five year old heart is thawing as he's a seenior in high school. Charlie exkews some advice from his dad and comes up the idea of getting a tutor for his middle school, which he is purposely failing, and his crush figure skater Claire would be perfect for the job. He's like, Dad, you're a genius a tutor. She eventually agrees if she can do it after school. That's when we get a terrible song called I Would Do Anything played during the montage, and it's such a bad song that it's possible that it was a replacement song for something Disney Plus couldn't afford to license, like My Date with the President's Daughter song. I noticed it. That's how bad this song was. I don't know if you did, but it was. It wasn't great, And I think maybe there's a possibility that, yeah, that was they just couldn't license whatever song was there, so they threw in something.
Speaker 2: For free to thank Claire all of our hard work.
Speaker 1: Chaz gets through the new Backstreet Boy CD, but also realizes her dad, oh no, is the Northern hockey coach. Worlds collide yet again, so as the dad comes in, he grabs a hockey mask, he hides his face behind it and then runs out of the house before he's caught. And that's not going to put up any red flags at all for the dad trying to meet the new boy in her daughter's life. Back at the lab, the graviton, gravitron, gravitational field is not working. They have tried everything, but they have hit a scientific wall until they decide to get their minds off of work and take a little dance break, and then the music makes the machine start to work. The sound waves were what they were missing. They have solved the riddle of the gravitron or gravitron or gravity thing, or they ruined it.
Speaker 3: We still don't know.
Speaker 1: There's no real explanation, but it has done something to propel their scientific experiment forward.
Speaker 3: We just don't know whatever it's going to be.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Chaz is starting to make Claire feel better. About tutoring him, so his grades are slightly getting better in the middle school class, and the science teacher then does something that every teacher does. He has set up a field trip for the class to go meet this genius kid at Northern College. They are leaving instantly. There are no permission slips allowed, Nobody talks to parents. We're just taking you out onto a bus and we are going somewhere. That's when Chaz, who apparently has carte blanche in this middle school, just gets up and runs out and he's like, bye, hey, Chaz, I'm amazed even came like.
Speaker 3: He says that a bunch of times my teachers would have called my parents in thirty seconds.
Speaker 1: Yeah, if I was just deciding to come to class whenever I want to, this teacher's.
Speaker 3: Like, hey, glad you made a buddy. Didn't think you were coming today. Really strange. But he runs out.
Speaker 1: To hide the true identity of Chaz, Charlie pretends he was recently hurt in a science experiment gone wrong and appears in a wheelchair, disfigured and in total purple face. For his speech, he bounces between being Chaz and then now disayb welled Charlie barely making it work. It is one of those supposed to be farcical romp kind of funny scenes and it works. You know, he's covered in purple, and I love the one thing where he's like, hey, how do I get this off my face? And he's like soap and water?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: So what?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Just so first of all, you didn't talk about this at all before you put it on?
Speaker 3: No? Yeah, it was permanent, yeah, or radioactive or something horrible that could have killed you. Was you found something purple in.
Speaker 2: A science lab just put it on?
Speaker 3: Geez.
Speaker 1: So they go back to college now, but Mike thankfully has moved back into their dorm and he has apologized essentially to Charlie. He says, Charlie, I need your help with his schoolwork. He will be kicked off the hockey team and out of college, and Charlie of course is happy with this because he wants to be friends with Mike so badly.
Speaker 3: He wants to fit in at school.
Speaker 1: The guy's been a jerk the entire movie, but he comes back and he needs to help, So Charlie's says he'll help him with school if Charlie can get help with Claire. And so this is a very very common dcom trope. Let's trade. Good premise works all the time. You do this for me, I'll do that for you. Let's do a trade. That's the way it works. We're then at some outdoor hockey game with middle schoolers, and good news, not only is Chaz playing, but he is dominating. That's when he looks over and he sees a quote unquote dork sitting on the bench and decides to trade out and let him play. It is a very nice move from someone who knows how it feels, and Claire saw it all happen. The thing I really liked about this moment he did it for the kid. He didn't do it to impress Claire. They made that very clear with the way he did it. He just felt bad for the kid. It was very very nice thing to see, a very Disney moment, but it was it was nice. She invites and of course good things lead to good things, so Claire sees it happen.
Speaker 3: She invites him.
Speaker 1: To go to the Northern versus Rumson game with her and her dad, but of course that won't work because then the coach is going to out him. So he says he can't go at all, he needs to watch his sister. When all his friends they remind him that they said he's an only child, he says, no, sister, Mary Christian, She's an invalid nun. We also then get it Robert de Niro impression from Chaz here, which was a little startling for a dcom.
Speaker 3: It was also just not a good impression. But hey, he's a kid. It's just how it worked.
Speaker 1: But this is when I also noticed in this movie both Charlie and Claire talk about their moms, but no mom's in the movie. We hear a voice, we hear Charlie's mom once from the other room. Yes, but but moms are not wrapped in this movie at all.
Speaker 4: I thought that the moment that we're getting into, right after they get off the bench and they talk about Claire's desire and reason why she doesn't play hockey, but she also she played, she figure skates, I thought it was going to like gonna be a deep moment my mom's not here anymore, you know. I was like ready for it, and never really happened, just never ca Yeah, it's just like oh, you know, going, oh, just kind of we're doing some depth with this character.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's very cool. Emmy, as we know, can handle.
Speaker 4: And so it was like, oh, I'm going to see a little baby at me do this, and you know it didn't happen.
Speaker 3: It just wasn't in the writing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but it's true. They didn't talk about the mom no that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was very strange, which is different, but again we're not doing normal dcom producers.
Speaker 1: Right, No, you're right, you're right. Charlie and Claire then almost kiss on the ice. This is where you really notice the height difference. She is four feet taller than him.
Speaker 2: Noticed it didn't get this kid an apple box.
Speaker 1: Seriously or have her bend down or something. But he's either very short or she's very tall, or it's a combination of two.
Speaker 3: Because it's jarring.
Speaker 1: But then some real hockey blocker kids throw a snowball and they ruin the moment, how does he not kill them? He was just about to kiss his dream girl. We are now back at the lab, with krick Stein off to Milwaukee for a conference, leaving Charlie alone with the gravitational gravitron gravity and machine for a few days. It's also happens to be the night of the Rumson game, but he obviously can't go or he'll be spotted by both his middle school pals and the college comrades.
Speaker 3: This is not a place to show up for him.
Speaker 1: But Mike shows up at the lab before the game and tells Charlie he passed his test thanks to his tutoring, and as a thank you, he got him a gift. He got him an honorary hockey jersey. It happens very fast. It was a Disney sped up moment where they are now fast friends, quick tutoring, fast test, customized jersey. Feels like it happened in the day, but hey, we know some time has passed and it's nice that he has been embraced by the hockey team.
Speaker 3: Now, yes, we are at the rink.
Speaker 1: We find out that the RUMs and kids are exclusively from broken homes and their fans boo them because they like the negative reinforcement, which is such a wildly weird detail to throw in, but they do.
Speaker 3: Where It's like, no, those are their fans. They like the negatives, so they're just made.
Speaker 1: The only thing that they should have had is like the hockey stick should have had blades at the bottom. Right where they just go slicing people as they're walking by. These are clearly the bad guys wild. It's just weird. But it gets weirder because this is where the movie starts to go off the rails a little bit. Yes, yes, In the locker room, Mike now shows his team a way to avoid the rumps and rack, which we talked about before, which is, by the way, I'm gonna say something here, Sabrina, You're never gonna get this. I don't even think our producers are going to get this, but the rumps and rack. I will guarantee you whoever wrote this movie based it on the Malachi Crunch. And there's no if. I'll be so excited if somebody in our chat goes, oh my god, the Malachi Crunch. But the rumps and rack is the Malachi Crunch. I'm not even gonna tell you what the hit producer, Tara, no clue, Yeah exactly, I'm not even gonna tell you what the Malachi crunch is.
Speaker 3: Go and google it.
Speaker 2: Okay, anyway, back to our game.
Speaker 1: It is now an idea of how to avoid the rumps and rack was given to Mike by Charlie, So it's time for the big game, and how are they going to avoid it by putting in one of the the equipment managers. Yes, is going to dress up as Mike in the game, So trying to follow this dress up as Mike in.
Speaker 3: The game so that the star players the star player.
Speaker 1: The star player is then going to put on a different jersey so the RUMs and rack will happen to the equipment manager. Couple things wrong with this plan in my opinions.
Speaker 3: First of all, you're taking one of the you're taking one of your players off the ice, and you're putting an equipment manager on the This isn't going to happen in the first thirty seconds of the game. This doesn't happen till the third period. Yeah, So they remove one entire hockey player from the team and just put an equipment manager on. So you're already down one person.
Speaker 1: Second, does no one on Rumson realize that even though Mike went from number eight to number seven, he's still the best player on the team.
Speaker 4: Yeah right, And also, can this this equipment manager actually skate?
Speaker 3: That's what I'm saying. None of it makes it.
Speaker 1: He said, why don't you just put another hockey player out there?
Speaker 3: Who instead of the equipment manager put another player out.
Speaker 4: Also, the coach is just gonna willingly sacrifice another college child.
Speaker 1: It doesn't make any sense. I thought they were gonna go up something scientific.
Speaker 4: Yes, and that was my next question, what does this have to do? I mean, this is it should be some kind of scientific thing. I thought he was gonna give him the puck or or something that was gonna one of his inventions of some sort. And this has nothing to do with his the way his brain works or whatever.
Speaker 2: I know he likes hockey.
Speaker 3: But nope, it doesn't make any sense.
Speaker 2: And then it got worse.
Speaker 3: It does, It does get worse. Then it gets worse, It gets worse.
Speaker 1: But anyway, so it's now time for the big game, and as bad as Charlie wants to stay in the labb he has to see part of the game, so he ends up leaving just at the moment that the gravity gravitron machine starts blinking and beeping.
Speaker 3: The coach was reminded that if he loses, he's fired.
Speaker 1: All of this is in front of Claire, his daughter, who sits next to him on the bench all game long, which is something that literally could never happen. Imagine Phil Jackson on the bench with his daughter hanging out with Michael Jordan and Scotti Pippen.
Speaker 3: Not gonna happen. So Charlie ends up spotted by Odie and his middle school pals, then is spotted by Claire from the bench, so to make sure her coach dad doesn't see him, he hides under the bleacher, making himself out to be a total weirdo to his new crush who is constantly bothering your dad in the middle of the biggest game of his life where literally if he loses, he loses his job, but she keeps going dead. No, I want you to meet him is my middle school crush, and I wanted him to go, like go back to.
Speaker 2: Your seat in the middle home here.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 1: So it never happened, but Charlie's idea to avoid the rack works somehow, and things look good for Northern, which is up one nothing. But he is finally caught by Claire and her dad, exposing his double life. She knows Chaz, he knows Charlie. Claire is very angry, and when she figures it all out and approaches him, he admits he's just a big, fat liar. And right then the particle accelerator erupts, leaving huge giant red cracks in the ice. It looks like the door to Hell has opened up for everyone in the town, and everyone reacts completely nonchalantly for what looks like to be the end of the world. The ref announces the game is postponed until it could be fixed.
Speaker 2: Fixed.
Speaker 3: The sign of the apocalypse has come, but the ref has announced it's going to be fixed. By the way, when a game is suspended, if you suspend a baseball game in the middle of the night and it's it's it's the ninth inning and they're up six nothing and lightning crashes net to suspend. When the game comes back, you start in the ninth inning at six nothing. You don't start the game over again, which is what they did in this case. But that's a whole nother thing.
Speaker 2: Well that anyway, I said they were gonna do.
Speaker 3: They started the game over two minutes left in the game.
Speaker 1: They were about to win, but everyone's now furious that Charlie because he ruined it. They had a chance to win. Now they have to play the whole game over again, which again, that doesn't.
Speaker 3: Make any sense.
Speaker 1: Claire never wants to see him again and starts avoiding his calls. Charlie eventually does a real say anything moment. He shows up at the middle school with a big satellite microphone, apologizing to everyone from outside.
Speaker 3: But even that doesn't work.
Speaker 1: Even creepy giant microphone guy doesn't have Okay, So here's where the movie gets even more complicated. With the help of Krickstein, who didn't seem to care that he walked away from the molecule machine and destroyed the ice rink. It doesn't even mention it at first at all. Charlie comes up with an idea to make sure Northern wins the now scheduled final two minutes of the game, but it wasn't the final two minutes of the game. I think they played the entire game over again, right, and it evolves splitting the particles up, because even when they're separated, they will do They mentioned another experiment that happens, and I think as an actual experiment. I could be wrong, and I know that our huge particle physics community that's a big fan of Magical rewind is going to come after me for this, But I think it's like when even miles apart when one half of the particle does one thing, the other particle mimics what it does.
Speaker 3: Okay, so if you hold.
Speaker 1: Your arm out to one side and move your arm, the other person holding the removed particle will also move their arm. The concept will not only defy gravity but also win a Nobel Prize. But they want to use that to lead a small college to win one NCAA win.
Speaker 3: Also, if it works, Claire could like Charlie.
Speaker 1: Again, so it's very complicated.
Speaker 3: They split. They split this atom essentially to then cheat. Yes, okay, so Charlie convinces his middle school friends and Claire to help. They aren't thrilled about it, but they're because they want to save everything because again, this is her dad's.
Speaker 1: Job, this is the hockey team. It's all in on this game. So now we're at the game.
Speaker 3: The kids distract the Rumson team and Charlie breaks into underneath their bus, finds the exact three skates of the three best players on their team, and puts part of the particle on each one of these skates. Right, okay, they're now using cameras and complex communication devices. This way they can control their movements using the skates and the little particles that are on the skates, so whatever Claire and Charlie do on their roller blades will be mimicked by the guys on the ice.
Speaker 1: And again, if you think that sounds like cheating, well, in all fairness, it is cheating in a very big way.
Speaker 2: Absolutely cheating. There's no question about it. It's cheating. It's manipulating someone's movement.
Speaker 3: It's just Charlie says it's the only way to stop Rumson from doing the rack, which again is all also cheating.
Speaker 1: So it makes it okay because two wrongs make it right. So cheating to stop cheating. The logic didn't work, But anyway, we're in the game finally, and Krickstein is furious at Charlie for doing all this.
Speaker 3: He feels like he's betrayed. He now mentions the lab mistake the first time. I can't be a part of this now. But the good news is.
Speaker 1: The plan actually works, and it leads to the Rumps and Stars not only running into each other, but checking themselves into boards and doing synchronized dancing.
Speaker 3: How does putting this the particles on the skates make them also move their hands in the same That.
Speaker 4: Was my question, Like I mean, if that's how they explained it was gonna work, that's one thing. But they only talked about it mimicking the skates, the actual skates. It's not controlling their bodies, it's controlling the skates. Obviously their legs go with the skates.
Speaker 3: But there aren't.
Speaker 2: Gonna go into a proper no ballroom. Hold, no, that's not gonna happen.
Speaker 4: And that was say It started to get a little two cartoon at this point, too.
Speaker 3: Typically flawed people, scientifically flawed. He didn't make any sense. So anyway, they checked themselves into boards.
Speaker 1: They start doing synchronized dancing the crowd, which we learn is from behind the scenes promo for the Disney Channel was one hundred and fifty extras. They all found this absolutely hysterical. But when Rumson has one more chance away to win with their final star, one more Malachi crunch, guess who saves the day?
Speaker 3: Krickstein. He appears with the final particle on his rollerblades, but he's falling everywhere because he can't skate, and he glides and he glides right into the graviton gravitron machine, forcing Krickstein, Claire, Charlie and the last Rumson Star to float after he gets like gets electrocuted.
Speaker 1: So now electricity has flown into the gravitron machine and they have now floating.
Speaker 3: The buzzer goes off. Northern's won the game.
Speaker 1: Everyone celebrates, Claire's dad's job is saved, and no one mentions the flying players during the game. No one's pointing at that. It's just, hey, we won, this is great.
Speaker 3: We now fade into a pickup outdoor hockey game at the middle school.
Speaker 1: The kids are drafting players and teams. They get stuck with the final pick. Who's going to get stuck with the final pick? That's when we learn the final pick is Krickstein himself. He has friends now, albeit younger than him, but he's learning how to play hockey. Then Mike and the college team show up and rather than kick the kids off the ice, they want to actually play with them.
Speaker 3: Mike heard about their plan that helped.
Speaker 1: Them win and the anti gravity stuff, and they're really thankful for Charlie.
Speaker 3: Who else did they think it could have been that made people float and fly? But that's the way it is.
Speaker 1: The kids agree to play under one condition, Krickstein must be on the adults team. The professors switch side. I say adults. They were college kids except for the main star, who was forty eight. The professor switches asides. He gives Mike one small secret he can float roll end credits. There we go, there's genius.
Speaker 3: Third act needed some help it off the rails. Oh they really did. They really got gravity off those rails like nuts.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh.
Speaker 1: Can we do some real reviews, Sabrina and I think you have the joy this week of our one star review.
Speaker 2: I do, and it's from Brandy f.
Speaker 4: While this movie seems like a lot of work to trick some girl you've met once into liking you. Also, I don't really understand why it was okay for the Northerns to cheat and nobody seemed to care that Charlie destroyed the ice. That has to be money to fix it, you know what, Brandy, I will get to that in my Sabrina thease. Thank you for the commons. Those are all true. I had questions. We all had questions.
Speaker 2: Why I didn't no one care about anything.
Speaker 3: That happened, right exactly.
Speaker 1: I've got the five star review this week and it comes from Jennybabe twenty five.
Speaker 3: Oh my lord, I absolutely adore this movie. It was most excellent, better than a lot of Disney movies minus Xenon and Brink and Johnny Tsunami. Charlie's other persona, Chaz is very hot.
Speaker 1: Five teas with the exception of his hair and the part where he makes skeletons dance.
Speaker 3: Two thumbs way up, many peace after the U thank you so much, Jennybabe. Twenty five.
Speaker 1: Now we lean into the part of our wonderful podcast that I'm not a big fan of, but Sabrina absolutely loves.
Speaker 3: This is SAB's favorite thing ever. It is the feature of the week, of course, the games we like to play, and this week we're gonna be playing a new version of a game we played for teen Beach movie. That's when it was called hang four. Now it's called check four.
Speaker 1: We will get four terms associated with hockey according to Weekend Warriorshockey dot Com, and we have to guess what they stand for from a list of multiple choice options. We have four shots to get them right. Once again, I've said this every time, Sabrina and I truly do not know what the answers to these are.
Speaker 3: We check, We do not know.
Speaker 1: I can also tell you that producer Jensen is not on with us today, so Producer Tara will be telling us how lame we are and how much we suck. Thank you in advanced Producer Tara. Hopefully by this point she has already googled the Malachi crunch. So our first word that we have is grinder. Is it a let's do one?
Speaker 3: Is it? One? A horizontal move with your.
Speaker 1: Skate that allows for quick turns and fast stops. Two a shot on goal that shakes feverishly on its way to goal. Three a player who makes up for a lack of talent by working hard and playing physical. Or four a dating app for hockey players to find their missing teeth.
Speaker 4: The fourth one's tricky because I feel like there is a dating app come grinder.
Speaker 3: Isn't that? It isn't the grinder? The one? It's for gay hookups? Isn't that what grinder thinks?
Speaker 2: So I think, all right, So that's a tricky one. Jensen, don't fall for that one, will.
Speaker 1: I know what I think it is, because I mean I I could be wrong, and you might disagree, but I think a grinder to me has the sense of a player who makes up for lack of talent by working hard and playing physically like you're a grinding.
Speaker 2: Grind, actual hockey term.
Speaker 1: I don't know that's that's I'm sticking with number three, Okay, sticking with three.
Speaker 3: What do you? What do you say? And Sabrina, I.
Speaker 4: Think it's a it's option number one, a horizontal move with your skate that allows for quick turns and fastops.
Speaker 2: Producer Tara Will, you're correct, Yes, it's three, number three.
Speaker 4: It's not a hockey terms a grinder.
Speaker 3: He's a grinder.
Speaker 2: I mean, I get that, all right?
Speaker 4: Fine, I thought we were talking about I thought we were talking about sophisticated moves here, Jensen.
Speaker 3: I'm still blading a hard string. Number Two. Salad is salad one, the blood left on the ice after a chirpy game. Two beautiful long hair and a hockey player sometimes seen in a mullet. Three the wood chipping from a hockey stick after its sharpened or breaks during play, or four the most traditional postgame meal enjoyed by hockey players. I'm gonna say number three again. I think it's the wood chipping from a hockey stick after sharpen.
Speaker 1: You're gonna stick with three as well? Yeah, all right, we're both gonna say number three.
Speaker 2: Producer Tara, the answer is number two. Beautiful long hair on a hockey player, sometimes seen in a mullet that's called salad.
Speaker 3: I like it, Okay, boom, I had a mullet for years. I did. We'll get into that later. Don't start with me, break, don't start with me. Uh. Next, we've got top Cheddar.
Speaker 1: Is that one a shot that scores in the top of the net, either offer just below the crossbar to a title given to the highest scoring player in any game.
Speaker 3: Three, the name given to the player with the highest salary on every team, or for a term of endearment, given to the teammate with the best lactose reaction.
Speaker 2: I mean it could be four. Because these answers are bonkers.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna go with one. Yeah. I think it's a shot shot that scores in the top of the net, either off or just below. I think I can hear them going.
Speaker 1: Like, yeah, we're gonna score top Jeddar top chedd what Producer tar.
Speaker 2: Correct, Yeah, that one actually sounds like it doesn't it right? Okay?
Speaker 3: Good, yes, excellent. Git the biscuit now this is our last one.
Speaker 1: The biscuit is it a nickname for the puck, a nickname for your helmet, a nickname for a hockey stick, or nickname for a member of the nineteen seventy three Atlanta Flames. Butch Dead Marsh, it's got to be a nickname for the puck, pass the biscuit.
Speaker 2: It's gotta be, right.
Speaker 3: I think it's gotta be. It's got to be. I'm gonna say nickname.
Speaker 2: It, or it's this random guy that he just threw up there for an.
Speaker 1: Option, I just want to I'm telling you, Butch Dead Marsh has to be the name of a character in a video game.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but I'm sticky with a name for.
Speaker 2: The number one, number one for the correct Yes, Okay, he threw us up.
Speaker 3: He threw us a biscuit. He threw us a biscuit. Thank you, producer, Tara. Now please go google Malachi Crunch. Can we now do Sabrina Seas?
Speaker 2: We hit quite a few of them.
Speaker 4: I honestly, like I said, likes this movie, so I was really enjoying it. I didn't really nitpick it apart until the third act. Yeah, and I let the character, this character that I'm going to bring up before I let him slide the first time because it was kind of just like a funny little moment, but then when he came back, it had to go down in my Sabrina seas, this principle is up there with some of the other principles we've seen.
Speaker 2: Why or Dean? I guess he's the Dean, right, the Dean.
Speaker 4: Why is this guy first of all doing the best he Canada Jim Carrey imitation.
Speaker 3: He is funny.
Speaker 4: He is funny, right, but like it was just so over the top, and no one else was playing really that big in the movie, so it was kind of.
Speaker 3: A little bit.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: He also I recognized him.
Speaker 1: He played the original Lloyd Bron on seinfelm Okay, so Lloyd bron was was the friend of that grew up near George that he was always being compared to.
Speaker 3: And he was the first Lloyd bron.
Speaker 2: Okay, I bet he was great. I bet he was great.
Speaker 4: He was funny, but it was just he was just kind of out of place at a place in this movie. His quotes were and if they lose, goodbye coach. No win big game, No win Big Game. He became like Caveman all of a sudden, and then the second one, I don't think I put down the actual quote, but him just badgerying this man in front of his daughter, who okay should not have been there, but just like really going into him and his daughter.
Speaker 2: Is right there.
Speaker 4: It was just so horrible, so he had to be he had to be talked about.
Speaker 2: And then the ice cracking over the sound system. I don't know if it was.
Speaker 4: Like remain calm, It's like, are you kidding me?
Speaker 2: I'm not remaining.
Speaker 4: I'm getting the hell out of this arena because it's like there's some devilish thing.
Speaker 2: About like pop up out of this.
Speaker 3: I'm like, you look like a volcano.
Speaker 4: Remain calm, no, sir, I'm out, goodbye, see you later. And then again there was just these are questions. Did nothing happen to the machine? Were we just not caring the fact that it ruins the ice rink? We have no idea of what happened after that whole situation. Can we make these magnetic things, maybe not bright orange, and maybe maybe have them.
Speaker 3: Made him camouflage?
Speaker 2: They made him a silver black I mean anything, I get.
Speaker 4: It for the movie, but it was just kind of funny. And then I, of course put is it cheating. Yes, it is absolutely no question to ask cheating.
Speaker 2: This is not a good idea. Where are the adults?
Speaker 4: Then the adult comes in and it's like, okay, you know, well, first you say no, I'm gonna the adults. It's like, no, I'm You're not gonna do this. I'm not I'm not okay with this. But then he comes in and elves anyway. I'm like, the adults in this movie are just ridiculous. We're again here, we are once again.
Speaker 1: That was it, and Sabrina will always see cheating. I can just tell cheating had.
Speaker 4: Okay, this is a game here evil, there's a winner.
Speaker 2: There are rules, they must be followed, and.
Speaker 1: Now we have to rate the movie one out of ten are options for this week. One out of ten, slow motion Harvard letter trash cans one out of ten, huge leather trench coats one out of ten, mashed potato chalkboard bombs, one out of ten, absentee moms one out of ten, terrible montage songs, or one out of ten ice rings opening up for hell? Which one would you like to pick?
Speaker 5: This week?
Speaker 4: We like the ice rings opening up for Okay, that was just bunker?
Speaker 3: Was it?
Speaker 1: You I think I went first last time, didn't I? Or did you go first last time? I think I did.
Speaker 2: Okay, I'll go first. I can't remember. They're starting to they're starting to merge. Now we need somebody to help us.
Speaker 4: I know they're starting okay, So again I thought this was adorable. I know we hated the montage song, but I liked the little montage.
Speaker 3: But them, I thought they were such a little him smelling her hair is a little creepy, but okay, I buy it for a thirteen year old.
Speaker 4: It's tough to rate these when we know now no after I watched it. I didn't know at the time, but now knowing that a different producer, I could tell along the lines that it's a different producer than normal. What's normal on the channel? Yep, because it's kind of different. Right. The messaging was like a little astray. Didn't make sense that she didn't follow, doesn't follow the Disney realm, right, But they did. They the actors everyone did such a great job, and I did enjoy it. I thought it was cute. The third one pulled it down a bit. I probably would have given it an eight. Act three was not great, and I think.
Speaker 2: It's gonna pull it down to a seven for me.
Speaker 3: Okay, so still okay, still ice Rinks opening up for hell.
Speaker 2: Ice Rinks opening up for Hell.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm in the same boat. The acting, the kids, The kids are great. The third act just fell apart. It really just fell apart in this movie. For me, I'm gonna be giving this six. Okay, six, six point five. Now I'm gonna stick with six. I'm gonna stick with six. Ice rinks opening up here.
Speaker 2: You're not gonna love.
Speaker 4: The little guy as much as I was just thinking he was just so cute.
Speaker 3: But he's great.
Speaker 1: But again, the actors are so good. Seeing Emmy Rossam starting, I mean all that kind of stuff. I thought that some of the adults are funny. I thought casting the sixty three year old man as Mike the hockey player was great.
Speaker 3: So he's just gonna get older every time I say it. But no, I mean again, not a bad movie. The third act really made no sense. Yeah, you know, but it could minute minute you know, you've got the minute men had the the third act that was kind of muddled, but at the same time it made sense. You're going back in time. You got this. There's consequences. They cheated and won and that didn't make any sense, and the gravity machine didn't make any sense, and then nobody even talking about them gravity machine.
Speaker 4: Yeah they're in the sky. Yeah, No, one's freaked out that there's people in the sky.
Speaker 1: Yes, And how does this movie not end with one more scene of him accepting the Nobel Prize and then all the hockey players there like cheering for him as he wins the Nobel Prize? Yeah, how do you not have that scene in this movie? But they didn't, So, yeah, this is gonna be six.
Speaker 4: It just ended in like he has friends now, Yeah, cool, Well, which is great, which is great, but it's.
Speaker 2: Yes, of course, but it just was kind of there was so much more set up.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I agree. Well, there we go. There is our film.
Speaker 1: So thank you so much for joining us on Genius, our third or fourth movie that was not made by Disney but was made by Peek.
Speaker 3: Say it that way, because that's how it was.
Speaker 1: Our next movie is one we have been waiting a long time for. It is a pod meets world favorite decom franchise, the very musical Zombies, and we're gonna be watching the first movie in the trilogy but we are gonna be joined by somebody to watch this first movie with us. He is a huge fan of this movie. He specifically didn't ask.
Speaker 3: He told me. He said, when are you doing Zombies? I go, We're doing. He goes, I'm coming, I'm watching this with you. I went, okay, great, he told me.
Speaker 4: When I came and did my little thing, he told me, then I will be there all right.
Speaker 1: So everybody please join us with Ryder Strong as we watch Zombies, and remember to subscribe to our feed. You can also follow us at the Magical rewind pod on the Instagram Machine. We will see you next time, joined by mister Ryder Strong himself, mister middle Part himself.
Speaker 3: Ryder Strong will be there. Thanks everybody. Bye eight