Speaker 1: It is Thursday, October seventeenth. This is Jackwar's happy hour. And now a guy who loves the band Oasis so much he owns the Champagne Chevy Nova. Brian Sexton Oasis. I've heard of them. I heard they were on Saturday Night Live. That's about all I know about him, though. And I did have a Chevy Nova and it was not age for a year. It was a nineteen seventy three.
Speaker 2: Oh, that was the great year for the nova.
Speaker 1: Chevy Nova.
Speaker 2: Yeah it was.
Speaker 1: It wasn't lime green, and it wasn't a rich green. It was sort of a faded green.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I liked it.
Speaker 2: It was kind of an avocadosh green.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, yeah. It didn't have the big engine.
Speaker 2: Didn't would would you have the straight six center or something?
Speaker 1: My dad didn't want me to have something that was going to get him in a lot of trouble with the insurance.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, I get you, but I liked it. Speaking it was one of the hot rods.
Speaker 1: By the way, Well listen, if I'd had my way, it would have been yeah. But instead I sort of slow pedaled it and I got here.
Speaker 2: Well, this team is slow pedaling right now. Speaking of slow pedaling.
Speaker 1: How are you.
Speaker 2: I'm doing good. Yeah, it's good to be seeing. We're at the grove here.
Speaker 1: We are at the grove.
Speaker 2: Is this considered London or is this considered not London?
Speaker 1: If this is considered Watford. Okay, so we're on the We're about an hour and ten minute Uber ride to your hotel down.
Speaker 2: Okay, So I'm staying in downtown London.
Speaker 1: You'll be staying at the door Chester, I imagine.
Speaker 2: I no, no, I would be at the Hilton Pool, which is which if you look at like Google, which everybody does nowadays, and you look at the ratings, the ratings of the hotel that I'm at is like three stars. Okay. The hotel that Biseli's ats like five stars. And I'm just kidding either the same.
Speaker 1: Hotel and this place is a five star place.
Speaker 2: It's beautiful.
Speaker 1: It's on three hundred acres. It's beautiful of an old English country estate. And I am told and I believe this is absolutely true. There is a black oak tree on the grounds that was presented by Captain Cook to the Lord of the Manor when he returned from one of his visits to the New World.
Speaker 2: Talking about the Captain the captain, captain of the ship, Captain Cook.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, that was planted here on the grounds, and I believe it's still back that way somewhile.
Speaker 2: That's pretty amazing. There's a lot of houstory here, so the whole grounds thing here is amazing. It reminds me a lot of Virginia, you know, the broken rolling hills farm ground kind of thing. But I got a question for you, and and maybe somebody can help me out. So I take an uber out here today, me and Frank Frangie and Frank had some stuff to do out here as well, so we rode in the car together. We're walking in this hallway and then all of a sudden, up on this wall is like a projection, and there's a naked guy in the garden, okay, walking around and these jouring and I'm going, what the world is going on?
Speaker 1: He should take a left hand turn and see if it was a mirage.
Speaker 2: Somebody helped me out. What's something with the with the naked guy walking in the garden on a projector here at the grove?
Speaker 1: Listen. I don't know. And I've walked the garden not looking for that guy, but I've walked the garden a lot this week and it's I haven't seen it. I've seen it projected here.
Speaker 2: I've just tried to understand what the whole purpose of that was. Anyway, just it's eccentric. Sometimes when your team is one in five, you gotta have a little multiculvity, right.
Speaker 1: I have walked there's it's a three hundred acre property and they've got about a four and a half mile loop through the Whippindale wood. Is that what it's called the Whippindale wood? Whipping whippin'dell would? Yeah. Anyway, it's a beautiful piece of property. The jaguars like to stay here because it's a short walk across the parking lot to a field where they practice. They've got great facilities for them put up here. Yeah, and the food is outstanding. Saturday night was Tomahawk Night, Tomahawk Ribbi, Tomahawk Ribbi night.
Speaker 2: It was wine. Did they stay that they didn't? Did you bring your own? I did not.
Speaker 1: I was told that was not permitted. So I enjoyed.
Speaker 2: I would have one.
Speaker 1: I enjoyed the meat, and we'll hopefully get out to London before the week is out and enjoy some of the.
Speaker 2: One it's still there, and it's still the same, very busy and a lot of people, I will tell you a lot of people. Yeah yeah, but it's I'm ready to be home, all right, I'm ready to be home. But I'm hoping that this football team can find a way to get a win before they return.
Speaker 1: All right. When they return, by the way, they'll face the Packers. That is a week from Sunday on ten twenty seven. It does. It starts a tough stretch with the Packers, the Eagles, and the Vikings. That's the crucial catch game, by the way, And you can get your tickets at Jaguars dot com, slash tickets or dialing up nine oh four six three three two thousand. But before we get there, the Jaguars have a chance to win on Sunday against the new England Patriots team that is rebuilding with a rookie quarterback that's lost five consecutive games. Said to rather prizing opening day win in Cincinnati.
Speaker 2: Beat Cincinnati, I mean, and they won scoring sixteen points. Yeah, I mean, that's not exactly Joe Burrow's best day. Right now.
Speaker 1: They get some problems in Cincinnati.
Speaker 2: Too, yes, But you know, here's the reality, the New England Patriots are coming over here to London feeling confident that they can get a win. I mean, that's where the Jaguars are at right now. I mean, look, this Jaguars football team.
Speaker 1: It don't scare anybody.
Speaker 2: One of the worst teams in football, Okay, Carolina Panthers, Jacksonville Jaguars, Cleveland Browns, New England Patriots, and who am I missing? There's one other team somewhere in there.
Speaker 1: With me in the misery that we've been and I've just been focused on this team.
Speaker 2: And you know because and the reason I say that is that when when you're playing and you're trying to get out of a hole, you have to be able to be real and you have to accept where you are so you know how to get where you want to go.
Speaker 1: Let me ask you, is this a bad team or is this a team playing badly?
Speaker 2: I think it's bothy, I mean, because I mean the reality is you are who you are, and you are who your what your record says you are, and right now, that's what they are. Do they have the talent to be better than this? Absolutely? Do they have the talent to be undefeated?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 2: I don't think so could they be.
Speaker 1: Three and three. Yeah, you could just be one of those. You could just be like the Cowboys.
Speaker 2: If they're a little bit more mentally tough. And to use Trevor's term, what did he use?
Speaker 1: He said, We've got to stop hi fragile.
Speaker 2: We're fragile. Well, if you're a little bit more mentally tough, then maybe you can win that game in Miami when you turn the ball over, Hey, no big deal, sudden change, let's go, we'll get it back. Didn't do that. Maybe a little bit mentally tougher as far as winning the game against uh, the Buffalo Bills and get excited for a Monday night football game, and they didn't do that. Didn't he really show up in that ball game? You know, it's just disappointing that this team is where it is. And the reality is until you start playing better across the board, you're not gonna win. Because right now, this defense is one of the worst defenses in football period. I mean, one of the worst defenses in football offensively, if you look at it from a point standpoint, I mean, right now in the National Football League, you're twenty second points, I mean, and that's with a first overall pick quarterback of Super Bowl coach you know, offensive mind, first round pick wide receiverteen passes last year, ten two free agent wide receivers. I mean, look, you gotta be scoring more points than that, you know. So they are where they are. But again, the New England Patriots are coming into this game this week and they're feeling really good about where they are. Look, we've got a young quarterback who led us to our best points total of the year, was tough, stood in the pocket with a beat up offense of line, and so I think that gives them confidence coming over here, is that they're facing a team they believe that they can beat. And then also they had a performance against Houston. Although the game got away early, they battled back in that ball game.
Speaker 1: Right, So take me back to the mentally tough thing. Have you ever been on a team that you think was where this team is mentally right now?
Speaker 2: Unfortunately? Yes. I mean when I was in New York. When I was in New York, I was with a couple of football teams that we just weren't mentally tough. I mean we just couldn't We couldn't handle anything bad in a game because we just didn't have the ability to overcome, and I think that's part of being mentally tough. Part of that also is that we really didn't have a lot of talent up there. But this team here in Jacksonville is not supremely talented, but they have enough talent, especially offensively, to bounce back. For example, you know this pass game, you get an interception by Cisco Okay offense, You've got enough talent build on that momentum in the ball game, and then you know, score points and I think they end up going three and out on the following drive. I mean, that's that you can't do that, especially when that side of the ball has the amount of talent, because I believe the offense is talented enough to be a really good football team.
Speaker 1: And then the defense turned around and did it to them in the third quarter. Trevor hit the touchdown pass to make it twenty one to ten, and the defense Josh and Trayvon Walker.
Speaker 2: Would you call that complimentary bad football? I would call it it's good.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean it's kind of what it is, right. I mean, the unit didn't respond to something positive by the other.
Speaker 1: First and third down, you get sacks and you give it away with that.
Speaker 2: Where you want to be. But that's where this football team is right now. And Ryan Nielsen's look, I mean, he was brought in to improve a defense and right now hadn't done it.
Speaker 1: So did the Jets team ever switch around? Did it? Did the mental switch ever kick in? And no? Okay? All right?
Speaker 2: So then that's why I ended up at Jackson.
Speaker 1: So the only team that I can tell you, I'm hearing something, guys, I don't know, maybe you can help me with it. I'm hearing some conversation in the background. So my point is the ninety six team, were you, guys mentally tough when you were four and seven? We did winning change that we were tough? Okay, I know you were tough because Tom says that's the toughest.
Speaker 2: Ninety five and ninety six. I think we were tough. Is there's any team I think in football we did in ninety five. We didn't have a lot of talent in ninety six. We were still trying to figure it out, you know.
Speaker 1: And that's so it wasn't that wasn't a team when things were going poorly, and man, they were going poorly at one point where it wasn't mentally.
Speaker 2: We never had that mentality to war in ninety six that I think is what you're talking about, because we ended up turning around. We never had the mentality early on in ninety six that we were like, Okay, something bad happened. We were like, ah, there we go again.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: We never had that.
Speaker 1: So that was a tough team. It just wasn't enough.
Speaker 2: We were learning, we were learning how to be a good team, and also we were developing. And uh, this football team right now is past the point of developing. I mean it, it's just got to perform. So if you're Doune Peterson, it's frustrating. If you're Dug Peterson, I mean, I'm I'm what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: You say, what can you do well?
Speaker 2: And that's that's where you know, leadership matters, you know, and it's it's not easy for a head coach to deal with that because you don't want to end up having a team completely close their ears if all of a sudden you're you know, you're pounding the fist and yelling and screaming. But at the same token, there's got to be a level of accountability across the board for you, the entire football team. And and I think that this team is at the point now that Doug needs to seriously consider who's playing and who's not in percentage of playtime for certain guys and certain guys not.
Speaker 1: So we've reached that point where you don't just want to change for a knee jerk reaction. You want to see things through to a point.
Speaker 2: It needs to be measured. We're past that, yeah, and it needs to be measured. And if you make a change for somebody's level of play, that's not acceptable. Okay you make you need to make that change, regardless of sometimes what's behind that. So in other words, okay, if you if you don't play player A, and okay, behind curtain B, you have two players. Sometimes it doesn't matter how good those players are behind Curtin B. You're just putting some one of those guys in just because you want to make sure that player A is accountable that his level of play is not good enough. Okay, you see what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: I totally see what you're saying, and and can give you an example.
Speaker 2: Because if you don't do that, then where's the accountability for that player A to raise his level of play to where he can play at.
Speaker 1: Do they have the ability to do that this week? With the cornerback right? Because you're gonna get Tyson Campbell back and Monteric Brown has played pretty well? Could could you send the message to Ronald Darby? It's that's a.
Speaker 2: Little different though, because you know, in that instant, let's say, player A is Darby okay, not playing great? Okay, and then you got Tyson Campbell coming back, okay, well behind curtain C. It's not really even behind a curtain anymore. You've got Monteric Brown is playing playing good, Yeah, playing better okay than Darby?
Speaker 1: Right in my opinion, I think so too.
Speaker 2: So if Tyson comes back, I think the obvious move there and it's a it's a relatively easy move. Tyson comes back, he plays at his typical spot, right corner, move Monteric Brown over to left corner. See how it goes. And then you're gonna rotate maybe Darby a little bit in there as well. And I don't know what the ratio is gonna be. Is it one to one or is it you know, two to one with two for Monteric one for Darby.
Speaker 1: I see what you're saying. It's not the same as pulling someone out of the lineup and rein putting someone else into the lineup to replace them, because it's just it's a matter of a guy that was already playing.
Speaker 2: And and and here here's the other thing, you know, I'll bring it up an example on the other side of the ball, Okay, okay, And so people may be surprised by this, Okay, right now, Anton Harrison did not play very well this past game. You know, my level of expectation for an Anton Harrison his level of play should be up here. Okay. Well, his level of play this past game was down here. Okay. The two previous games he was pretty good. Okay, but this open the season his level of play was down here. Well, you'd have to have a conversation with Anton saying, hey, look, your level of play needs to be up here. And because it's not, we're gonna play Walker a little bit, Walker Little a little bit more in this ball game. Maybe rotates you, guys, because until we see your level of play back here, you know, we're gonna play Walker little. And and I think that, in my opinion, Anton Harrison is a better player than Walker Little. But it doesn't matter because the production doesn't meet the expectation. There So, therefore you need to have accountability.
Speaker 1: So that accountability leads to mental toughness because guys have to get inside their own head and square them.
Speaker 2: Say, determine. Am I going to be better? Okay? Am I going to commit to be better? Am I going to perform better? Am I gonna have more attention to detail, more focus? You don't know the guy. I'll throw another guy out there and needs to be better for this football team. Devin Lloyd. Devin Lloyd needs to be better for this football team. Some of those open throws that happened in this past game, you know, we're some breakdowns. He needs to be better, you know. And you don't have a lot of options at linebacker because Foyer right now is on injury reserve. But you have Chad Moveman, you have Ventre Miller, and so maybe you've reduced the percentage of snaps that Devin Lloyd gets and maybe increase the number of snaps that Ventro Miller and Chad Mouvema get.
Speaker 1: Don't you think Ventrol Miller should be on the field a lot more.
Speaker 2: Well, he's gonna know, he has some breakdowns too, He's still a young player that's still trying to figure some things out. He plays with great energy and he attacks forward, but in coverage there are moments that you know, you go, that wasn't very good, you know, but also that's part of experience, and you know he needs this more time on tasks, so to speak. Uh, but that's an interesting equation.
Speaker 1: There is there time.
Speaker 2: But again let me just real quick, Okay, regardless of who you have behind the guy. Again, this goes to accountability. Okay, if the person that is in the starting role and is not meeting the expectation here, then you, regardless of who's behind or next guy up, you look at playing that next guy to let the player know from an accountability standpoint, that's not where we expect your level of play and where you should be. So until you can get it back up in there, we're gonna play somebody else to see if maybe they can do it, regardless of whether you believe they can or not.
Speaker 1: If Doug pull some of those moves right, if he makes some strategic changes, if they have a good week on the practice field, if they go out and win on Sunday, is there time for this team to go from not mentally tough from fragile to mentally tough before this season is over, yes, okay.
Speaker 2: But is it gonna happen fast enough for this team can get to the point where they're going to be able to meet the expectations prior to the season right now that you know, look, here's the reaction.
Speaker 1: You're gonna meet expectations.
Speaker 2: The expectations were high, really high, okay.
Speaker 1: But here you have to win eleven games to meet expectations.
Speaker 2: And if you and if you can find a way just to get back into the playoff conversation, find a way, great. But in reality, in my I'm not saying that to my players if I'm Dougan, because right now, that's man, that's way too big of a meal to eat. Okay, to be able to climb out of a hole, it's got to be one bite at a time, and you gotta worry about this one bite this week against the New England Patriots and try to find a way to win this one.
Speaker 1: You know, I thought I had a manageable expectation of this team, you know, on the flight over, I thought, if they could win these two ball games and come home three and four, you have a chance with a big game against the Packers in the end of October. Now you go into November. If you're four and four, okay, you're on some stable ground, go battle. But they dropped themselves back with the loss, and not just the loss, but the way that they lost and put themselves in a position where I'm not sure even if they went on a on a winning streak here and one, two, three, four ball games.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it may not be enough. All right, it may not be enough, but it would it would make things feel better.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, it would be something that you could build and get this team some confidence.
Speaker 2: They need something. Do you remember when they were rating three last year and everybody was talking about them as being the best team in football?
Speaker 1: Doesn't that seem like yeah, it seems like.
Speaker 2: A long time ago. But here's the reality. I mean, it's you know, what is it two and ten since then? Yeah, you know, And if you want to be a franchise that is one of the elites, this up and down one good year, two bad years, that's not how That's not where you want to be. I mean, that's not where Seat Cohn wants this franchise to be, you know. And so you know, and I understand that. You know, there was a vote of confidence given to Doug Peterson and to Trent Balkey this past week. But the reality is is that that's not the level of expectation that shot Com has for this football team. And Doug will tell you, I mean, we're gonna talk to him here in a little bit. He'll tell you, look, accountability and expectation with coaches. I mean, he gets it. He's been around this league a long time. He knows Trent Balkey knows.
Speaker 1: That, all right. So the way it is, when we come back here to Happy Hour on ten ten xl in ninety two point five FM, we'll talk a little bit about the week that's been at the Grove outside London, some of the buzzwords we're hearing news about Roy Robertson, Harris, Roy Robertson, Harris's trade and how that affects the roster. You are listening to Happy Hour back after this on Jaguars Radio, Well, you can register your furry friend for the Jaguars Official Four Legged Fan Club presented by Forever That's Animal Hospital because at Jaguars dot Com, Slash Promotions Slash four Legged Fan Club. Brian and Jeff with you from the grove here on Jaguars Happy Hour. Some buzzwords this week, guys talking about focus and accountability. It's talk at this point, but apparently let's go back two weeks before the Colts game, which was the game where Tom Kauflin was inducted into the Pride of the Jaguars. Doug was asked a question at his news conference, can you coach with the same style that Tom Kauflin did that no nonsense, exacting, demanding you know what, I don't have to tell you anything about it. Doug's answer was revealing because he said that day I was coached that way, right, I mean Shula and Holmgren and read that was the way that he came up in the game. But he didn't think that with the modern athlete, that you could go after guys and front of their peers in the meeting room and hold them accountable the way that that Doug and guys of your era were held accountable. But I heard he did some of that on Monday. I heard he was I don't want to use the word aggressive, but he was very assertive and held guys accountable.
Speaker 2: Well, and I think there's an art to doing that. You know, Coffin wasn't very good at the art form of it. He was, you know, he was very direct and playing. But you know, then there's other coaches, which, trust me, folks, Tom Kaufin what the greatest coaches of all time. Okay, I'm not meeting him in any way whatsoever. But I think there's also others that do it in a different way, but they accomplished the same thing. Like Parcells, who was an old school guy. He had a masterful way of holding guys accountable in that fashion just because he had a little bit better tongue, so to speak, you know what I mean, He was a little bit more gifted at the gap. You know, Tom wasn't extremely gifted at the gap, whereas Parcels had a gift of gas.
Speaker 1: He had a very sharp win.
Speaker 2: He was charming but then very sharp in a lot of ways.
Speaker 1: How Pete Carroll do it.
Speaker 2: Pete was very different. Pete was never Pete would hold guys accountable, but in a positive, cheery sense. It was kind of weird, you know, But you know, I think also Pete grew into that and that Pete when he left the NFL went to FC, I think he learned a lot about what the modern day NFL coach needs to be and and also where accountability needs to be at. I think he really grew in that aspect. But yeah, I mean it's if Doug did that on Monday, that's great, you know. And you talk about buzzwords, I mean, there's two buzzwords that came out of this past game that that made me concerned and that you better get a handle on this number One was quit from Andre Cisco. The other word was culture from Doug himself. And when I heard that those words were used postgame, I went so alarms were going off, right, because when you hear those two words, you wonder, now, where is this team at, where is it psyche at? Where's the leadership at? And and Doug was right in this week and that look, he needs to start making sure that guys are held accountable. And you know, it is what it is, and you know, hopefully they can get this thing kind of turned around a little bit. But when I heard when I heard those two words, I was like, oh, no, quit, culture, Now where is this team gonna go from here? Because it's pretty low.
Speaker 1: You know, can you connect? The one in five finished the last season to the one and five beginning to this season, yes, you see it contiguously. In other words, twelve games, two wins, and.
Speaker 2: Look, I get that. You know at the beginning of the year, when Doug Peterson was at about that and that, he said, look, it's a different year as a new team. Yeah, but you know, yeah, but there's a lot of players that are on this team from last year. And yes, you're trying to get things going again, and but a lot of the same guys.
Speaker 1: I mean, they brought in Eric Armstead and gave David that.
Speaker 2: They haven't had the impact that they really haven't had the impact from a performance standpoint for this football team, with the exception of Mitch Morse, who's made this offensive line a little bit better.
Speaker 1: But when they when they signed him, one of the things that Doug went out of his way to say was that they were bringing in guys who had been there and done that, right, who had played at a high level Pro Bowls play.
Speaker 2: But that doesn't matter. And let me let me sell you this, Brian, and not to jump on you a little bit there, but it doesn't matter what players did. It matters what they do now. And Okay, so if the player comes in and he's performing well, then there's a lead aspect of it. If the player comes in and is not performing well, there is no leadership because the players, the guys are looking at that guy going he's dropping balls or you know, he's getting play time and he's not getting any productivity. And so then then the players close their ears to those guys. In the NFL, it's it's a fact. If you don't have production, then you cannot lead. Okay, write it down. It's going to be true forever in the National Football League. If you don't have production, you cannot lead.
Speaker 1: Does Trevor Lawrence have enough production to be able to lead this team?
Speaker 2: He does because of the position and because at moments he performs at a very high level.
Speaker 1: Okay, but not enough, not enough.
Speaker 2: He's got to be better in his performance so that then he can lead.
Speaker 1: So who in this locker room today, based on your valuation, Jeff can lead well.
Speaker 2: And that's the hard part. You look at the guys that are performing well, and how many guys are performing well for this football team. Mitch Morris is performing well. If he stands up and so something, guys are going to listen. You know, Cam Robinson along the offensive line, who has been kind of that energetic leader in the past. For this offensive line performance has just been it's been better lately but kind of okay, But not where you want to see him hit a top night in Buffalo. I want to see him finish, you know. And that's one of the things that he can do. It doesn't matter about talent, but that the level of finish is an effort thing and just a decision that's consciously made, you know, Christian Kirk, you know, I mean, look, he didn't start the year out particularly great, right, Evan Ingram got hurt early on, etn been kind of lead.
Speaker 1: Based on what he did on Sunday back on the turf.
Speaker 2: It kind of takes it a little away, a little bit, you know, because that's like the ultimate mistake you can make as a players, to turn the ball over, you know. So, I mean that's the hard part. And so when you're not playing well and your players aren't performing well, then the coaches need to lead even more.
Speaker 1: How about the defensive side, which players Wait, wait real quick, you've been talking a lot off the air about Brenton Strange can lead or is he too young?
Speaker 2: No, I think he can lead because Brenton Strange has been dependable, I mean, playing and play out. But the problem is is that his role isn't big enough to where he can be a front of the room guy.
Speaker 1: People who are listening might not be surprised. Why why would you bring up Breton Strange? You love it, he's playing his preer end off. I want to make sure I make a mistake there, you know. I mean he's playing really hard and he's finishing really well. And you know, every every week, you know, I do a when I do my film study, and it's right back there with my little notepad, and yeah, you grab that notepad because I'm going to show people something. So every week when I study film, you know, I make notes on plays good or bad. And so this is my list and you'll probably try to focus in on, you know, by pausing and all that kind of stuff. But there's good plays in the there's bad plays, Okay, Then off to the side over here. Okay, these are the bad place the ones that were very costly for this football team. And that's that's quite a bit. Okay, But there's even more bad plays that are in here. This section right here is Brenton Strange plays that are just like, holy how this guy can play ball and finishes and he's nasty and he's tough and he then he's playing winning football. There's not any other player that has his own section on my notepath. Okay, and Brent then that's a problem. There's one guy that has his own section, and you can you know, I'd like to have like five guys right here, you know, like Brenton Strange and Trevor Lawrence Wild plays right there. Oh, here's Christian Kirks Wild plays. Here's Josh Heinz Allen great plays. I mean, that's that's what you're looking for before we go to break. Who can lead on defense.
Speaker 2: Josh Heines Allen Ken. But you know Josh to raise his level of play too, you know, I mean he's you know, got dinged up a couple of games ago, you know, had the concussion Pro protocol and then he was wearing the Guardian cat the next game. This past game, he didn't have it on. Impact wasn't felt in great fashion. And I can tell you this this week, his impact had better be felt, better be felt. The New England Patriots offensive tackles. What if they missing if they're missing low their left tackle.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're not very good. Brian Trayvon Walker was miked up. I heard some of it this week. You can catch it on Jaguars social media channels.
Speaker 2: Can he lead, yeah, I mean he can lead.
Speaker 1: He was talking a lot, but he's trying to keep guys moving.
Speaker 2: He's and and that's a good thing. And I like Trayvon. He's been playing better now. He had a little bit of a couple of games where he's pretty quiet, but this pass game he played well. Game four that he played well. So that's what you want to see. Now, that's you know, when you want to be an elite player. It's not a sometime thing. It's an all the time thing. And Trayvon's getting better, but he's not there yet.
Speaker 1: All right, This is Jaguars Happy. I were on ten ten XL and ninety two point five FM. We'll take a break and return. Much more to come from the Grove outside London as the Jaguars are getting ready to take on the New England Patriots on Sunday at Wembley Stadium. Back after this on Jaguars Radio. Well, if you're looking for the MVP of the truck game. Check out the twenty twenty four Ford f one fifty gets loaded with oppressive capability and game changing technology. Test drive and f one fifty at your local Ford dealer. They're a proud partner of the Jacksonville Jaguars, Ryan and Jeff with you joined now by Kay Stevens. Hell. It's also hanging out and I don't know if you just get enough of a fuel for this library here at the grove. And when I say Phil, I mean I don't know if you can see on the camera the wallpaper.
Speaker 3: Yes JP posted a photo of John oser In here in his element yesterday writing up a storm in the little corner of the library, and it's very very fitting for John.
Speaker 2: Like we're like in a live board game of Clue, right, I'm kind of getting a Camo feel to this.
Speaker 3: I like it, of course, Jo.
Speaker 2: Does it not have a little I mean came.
Speaker 3: I don't know if it shows, but the curtains are the exact same fabric as the wallpaper, so it very much blends together.
Speaker 1: They're kind of of a Monet and then you've got sort of the Picasso on the pillows and hanging on the walls.
Speaker 2: I don't know about money or any of that. But I mean, I'm thinking mossy oak and real tree on this camera. That's what I'm thinking.
Speaker 1: Listen. You always just keep it real, big boy, You just keep it really well.
Speaker 2: You know. I do kind of get the sense that we should have like a pipe and be smoking.
Speaker 3: I got my teacup and saucer out the other day. I had a teacup with a saucer, talk about whether.
Speaker 2: Where's the crazy thing we actually all around us? This is no joke.
Speaker 3: It's prepped for tea. We have the sugar cubes.
Speaker 2: There's literally sugar cubes on every table in the room. Somebody tell me why for tea time?
Speaker 3: They have tea time in here is tea time?
Speaker 2: All like twenty four to seven?
Speaker 3: Did do it every day.
Speaker 1: I think if you'd like it, we could make a twenty four to seven.
Speaker 2: Now. I might need a little energy boost to finish the show out here. You know, we got Doug Peterson, Iro and everything. I might have to start eating so many sugar cubes here.
Speaker 1: At some point before the show's over.
Speaker 2: We're going to side like a spider monkey.
Speaker 1: It was mister Green who committed the murder with a rope in the conservatory or whether it was Missus Peacock with Colonel Mustard.
Speaker 3: It's always Colonel Mustard in the library.
Speaker 1: We'll see did you play that game? Oh? Did you play?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 1: Did love that game? Yeah?
Speaker 2: We still played it, Chris, I didn't play that game really?
Speaker 1: I mean once about jumps out in the woods doing stuff.
Speaker 2: I think I was outside.
Speaker 1: No board games. You could do it live here in the old man or at the grove. Uh. You guys have all access coming up here in a couple of hours hower of it. Who's joining you? Two guests?
Speaker 2: I believe a couple of guys. Yes, my favorite player.
Speaker 3: You have many favorite players coming.
Speaker 2: Brent Strange.
Speaker 1: Love him.
Speaker 3: You love him because he loves to block.
Speaker 2: I love him because he plays every play to the whistle.
Speaker 1: He's a football player.
Speaker 2: He is a football player.
Speaker 3: We got another football player do he's going to be with us as well?
Speaker 1: So does that mean he's close to coming back?
Speaker 3: If they come on the show, I'm sure we will discuss that today. We know he's been working his way back. When his original happened, original injury happened in training camp. They eyed around this time, so obviously he's been working his way towards that, and I'm sure we will be very excited whenever he is available to play and help out the secondary.
Speaker 1: Since you bring up Dewey, we were going to talk about changes in this block anyway, and what has to change, Let's start there in the secondary. And it isn't all going to happen this week obviously because to Shaan Gibson isn't going to be able to play on Sunday. Yeh.
Speaker 2: And by the way, just wanted to mention something real quick if the league hasn't made any kind of determination on to Sean Gibson as of now. Yeah, okay, that which is Thursday, and it's not happening this week. A lot of people like maybe thinking, oh, maybe it can happen tomorrow.
Speaker 1: No, it would have happened on Tuesday.
Speaker 2: And here's the thing that I'm kind of wondering if it didn't happen now when he was eligible to come off of it, what's going on.
Speaker 3: Also, they let him travel for this trip that was approved because normally when you're suspending, not supposed to be with the team, but they approved his travel to come out here to potentially play in this game. So you have to wonder something snagged up.
Speaker 2: In a mid to that and the approval happened quite some time ago, I believe, right, you know, So I don't know what's going to happen there, but you know, we talk about the possible return of to Sean Gibson off of that list, and then also the return of Dewey Campbell, you know, Dewey, and I don't know if he's going to be ready anytime soon or not. I mean, we're gonna have to kind of wait and see. But I will tell you the safety position is a spot where if one of those two guys were available, they would be probably put in the lineup in place of who I think Antonio Johnson's struggling right now a little bit, you know. I mean, Cisco hadn't been playing particularly well this past game. He had his probably best game of the year, but prior to that, he had his moments too, you know, in a new defense. I mean, look, I get it, but it's not like the concept completely changed from last year. Now, Antonio Johnson, some of the demands and the expectations for him changed because last year when he was playing, it was kind of in that nickel role more than anything, and now they're asking him to play safety, which you know he's having a tough time right now.
Speaker 1: Kai, what's your take on Cisco's comments last week about guys quitting.
Speaker 3: I don't know if I took it necessarily as he thought everyone was quitting.
Speaker 1: Obviously.
Speaker 3: I took it more as the end of the game, when things are out of hand, maybe people aren't playing to the end of the whistle, is how I took it. I don't think he was saying it in the sense that he didn't do it. I think it felt like a we need to not do that sort of situation. And I think what was I at least understood of it was it was emotion. And we'll talk about the sun jag Zam. It's actually one of my topics I'm bringing up is I would rather he care and is noticing that and like, yes, I don't want complete infighting, but it's the apathy. It's the people that are like, oh, we'll figure it like that bothers me more than someone getting upset and saying, hey, they were quitting. We need to play to the whist, so we need to do this sort of thing. I would rather have that than someone that's just like, oh, well, we'll figure it out because they care, and at the end of the day, they care. Yes, it needs to be redirected in a positive way, but I want someone that cares.
Speaker 2: Yeah, quit can be can mean a lot of things, you know, quick can mean that, Okay, I've given up on trying to win this ball game and I'm.
Speaker 1: Not going to go take it. That's why I ticket.
Speaker 2: And that's kind of how people took Cisco's comment. But there are other quits, I mean, quits that I view is not as bad. For example, I quit on this play and I should have just continued to give great effort until the end. And it's not that I just felt like I that I wanted to quit on the plane. I don't think we can win. It's just I didn't think I could make that play. Well, you know, if I'll give you a perfect example, you go to the early part of the ballgame. Anton Harrison, a right tackle, quits on a block and his guy ends up smashing and running back. Well, don't quit on the block, keep blocking to the whistle. Well, he's not quitting on the game, and he's not quitting on his team. He just quit too early on the play. As far as effort goes, So there's different definitions. And and you know, the one thing about if you say something like that, you better be man enough and strong enough to walk into that locker room and own it, and also to back it up, because if you don't, then you're gonna have a tough time in that locker room as a player.
Speaker 1: I saw him this week. You didn't have a black eye or bloody nose, so obviously he's tough enough to be able to handle that.
Speaker 2: And sometimes when when when a guy says something like something like that, I'm okay with it, you know, just because you know what, the status quo ain't working, you know, and if it just if it gets everybody riled up a little bit and gets everybody to pay attention, good, let it, let it, let it happen. You know, it's all good. What else has to change the performance of everybody's got to get better? Here here, here, And I'll give you a perfect example. Here's some things that are very easily controllable. Okay, off of my list. Okay, here we go again. On Okay, and I got some here. Just real quick fall start fall start drop false start personal PI call okay, P I call another drop, another drop, another drop. Those are easy, easily fixed things. Okay, awareness on finishing play and toon Harrison. Okay, going back to play number fourteen and the and the all plays real, Okay, finish the play. Maybe it gets another three yards. Well maybe he doesn't make a difference on that play, but the next down, in the next down makes it more manageable, so it makes a difference. I mean, all of these things that are controllable, make them better. That's easily fixable things. Now, can you fix where the guy gets the ball punched out? Sure you can. There's another awareness thing. Two hands on the ball, right, have an ingram going down to the ground. He's got one arm on it. Should have covered it up with two. No one he's going down to the ground. Didn't do it. I mean, that's an awareness thing. That's an easily fixable thing. Fix the things that are easily fixable. If you get beat. Okay, if Kay's a faster than me and she runs by me and catches a touchdown pass that happens, you know. I mean that's part of football.
Speaker 1: Who fixes it?
Speaker 2: The players and the coaches. Okay, players first player, player, Well, I think both. I mean I put them all in the same boat. Put them all in the same boat, because you know what, as coaches, you know, how many takeaways does our defense have. This defense in the past did a really good job with takeaways, okay, and er Mike Cole last year they were in great shaper. And one of the big reasons why is I believe that the coaches, the coaches that they had, did a really good job of coaching the awareness of takeaways. Okay, So there's an example of look, you know, do a better job of coaching the awareness of takeaways to this defense right here, because right now they're not doing a good enough job and the takeaways that they have or are not good enough for this team to win.
Speaker 1: It's funny because when you talk to Ryan Nielsen and he's they talk about how it's a focus about how they work on it every day.
Speaker 3: I don't know if it is as much as it was last year. Last year it was I want to say, their sole focused was takeaways, and I remember I felt like the back half of the season the secondary had issues probably that whole season as well, But if you can get turnovers, it's less of a burden. And I feel like because it just feels like that. Some of the other teams we play, they march down the field, and when you're not getting a turnover at any point you're on the field that entire time, they're getting tired. You can't sustain that for the entirety of a football game. So by the nature of getting able to get turnovers, that's what helped them before. And I don't know, because you can't fully change personnel at this point in the season, that's what's really beneficial for them.
Speaker 1: I heard from from members of the Bears media, from Chicago media that they are maniacal about the takeaways. And you can see the results stripping the ball, you can tell. But why isn't every defensive coordinator in the league then maniacal about the takeaways? If that's the number one an indicator over the course of a season, that that take away giveaway racio.
Speaker 2: It's a matter of how much it's talked about, and it just it's gotta be talked about in a greater fashion, with a greater emphasis and a more common amount of time.
Speaker 1: I mean, after points allowed, the next one on the list is takeaways.
Speaker 2: And they're dead last, I think in takeaways, aren't they dead? Last right now, national go.
Speaker 1: Back and look special teams, so yeah, they can't be much above.
Speaker 2: Twenty ninth twenty ninth and takeaways. But as the defense, I don't know because I mean they don't separate special teams from so we got the extra one defensive.
Speaker 1: Yeah right, so jacks all actions the one hour editions a full hour from here, the lives are.
Speaker 3: I might bring some tea for Jeff.
Speaker 2: I'll drink tea. I mean, just put some of that sugar in there.
Speaker 1: I'll be all throw some dirt the mossy oak that you'll see out there.
Speaker 2: Are we doing the show or in the same room?
Speaker 3: I think we'll be here maybe?
Speaker 1: All right?
Speaker 2: Cool, get the vibes. I gotta wear my smoking jack for that.
Speaker 1: Yo velvet, the crushed velvet camo jacket.
Speaker 2: Yeah, let you bring out your texts time. Brad Bradmester, That's what it was. He had a cameo sport cut, which is like he was like my hero.
Speaker 1: Listen. Yeah, and he had the truck on the big wheels with the cbe radio.
Speaker 2: Total redneck.
Speaker 1: God love him with six daughters. Uh, they couldn't refine.
Speaker 2: Him, no, b Brad Brad is great, all right, we'll take.
Speaker 1: The break, come back, one final segment of Jaguars Happy Hour, and then we'll lead you right into the Doug Peterson Show. This is ten ten XL and ninety two point five FM. You're listening to Happy Hour on Jaguars Radio. All right, one final segment here on Jaguars Happy Hour on ten ten XL and ninety two point five FM before we transition into the Doug Paterson Show. Time for an injury report presented by Baptist Health, changing Healthcare for Good. And we're going to yesterday's report because the boys were quite off the practice field yet all these guys were listed as limited. Eric Armstead, who has been limited with a knee injury all year all year long, gave Davis with the shoulder stands out Evan Ingram. Obviously there they're cognitive that hamstring traves ETN is a hamstring and Tyson Campbell, who's working his way hamstring.
Speaker 2: That's going to be that's going to be the interesting one. There is Tyson Campbell. You know, let's go back last year he had a hamstring other one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, cost him five games.
Speaker 2: And I talked to Tyson before the Bears game. A little bit about it and how how was he feeling and all of that, and he felt really positive about it. He said it was a little different injury, and I'm not going to go into specifics because you know, you don't want to do that, but he said it was a little different from his other one last year. But even if it's a little bit different, the concern there is last year when he came back after the one last year, he wasn't the same player. And at one point he actually kind of got demoted again and put as an inactive player. I believe it was for a game, and then was brought back again a little bit later. You know, So where's he going to be at? You know, I mean you'd like to as soon while we get him back and he's back one hundred percent, Well maybe he's not.
Speaker 1: Listen. You, more than anybody can speak to the mental side of an injury, right about You talked at length through the years about your knee and coming back from ACL and how long it took you to get comfortable. But it's the same thing with a hamstring, right, maybe even more so because those are much easier to injure than an ACL.
Speaker 2: Oh and do you trust it, you know, I mean, are you trusting it to open it up? And here's the here's one part with a hamstring, And and again I didn't have a really many pulled muscles except for a growing when I played. I didn't have a hamstring until I'm was old and way out of the game. But with a hamstring and other injuries, when you're working your way back, you're still not playing a game. So in other words, what you're repping in practice and what you're repping with the trainers is it's not as sudden and as reactive as it is in a game, and you're not put in some of these precarious body positions that you are in a game.
Speaker 1: Which is why guys with hamstrings and coaches in particular, are really particular about when.
Speaker 2: Yes, so you got to make sure that it's back. And look, he's been given a lot of time to come back, But you know, until you see it, and until you know, you don't know. So you know, fingers crossed that he's going to be the same player that he was prior to the injury, But you know, injury has a way of determining that.
Speaker 1: I don't know that we've talked enough about the quarterback. What is your magic play sheet there? Tell you about how the quarterback played in a game in which the Jaguars scored sixteen points and didn't play very well at all. But what does he tell you about his chances of playing better this week?
Speaker 2: Well, I liked, I liked, I thought he played okay this past game. But the reality is you still had the interception which should not have been thrown, and then you had the underthrown ball to Brian Thomas Junior. When you when you get opportunities like that and you've got that much separation, separation, you can't miss that, you can't And as a quarterback, and if you're gonna be the franchise, god, gotta make them. I mean, playing and simple. You have to make those throws because when you don't, it'd be different. Brian. If it was okay, Brian Thomas Junior only had a half a step and the defender were touching the arm as Brian's catching it, and maybe the ball was just maybe a little bit out of location.
Speaker 1: You hit the back of the defender it was two steps off.
Speaker 2: That's fine, But when Brian's got five steps on a guy and you vastly underthrow it to where the defender can come up in there and then have a PBu pass breakup. That's not okay.
Speaker 1: Why does he do that?
Speaker 2: I mean, I don't does he not trust? I think part of it is is the confidence, and the more you have success, the more confidence that you have, the more you just unleash it. You just just let it rip instead of thinking about it.
Speaker 1: Do you remember in twenty twenty one, which was just an absolute train wreck of a season, you think, yeah, try, I was starting to think of.
Speaker 2: This, by the way. I was just wondering, did you have an urban moment there when you were trying to pronounce Roy Robertson Harris's name?
Speaker 1: But I always got Harrison, which right, Roy Robertson Harrison. It's just a natural extension Robinson Harris. I have to remind myself that I don't have to worry about it anymore. He would come in to his news conferences after games and on Wednesday, and he was supremely confident. He said, I know the kind of player I am, I know what my abilities are, and I know what I can do. And back then it was easy to believe that because our memory of him was all the years at Clemson and he had always done it. Do you suppose that he still has that level of confidence or have some ups and downs this season maybe edged a little that out.
Speaker 2: No, I think it has. I mean, look, this team is there's two and ten and it's last twelve games and he's a big part of that. And you know, human nature is is that if you don't have success, then you start to have confidence issues. That's just part of human nature. I believe that he's still a confident player to some extent, but not a supremely confident I can win it, give me the ball mentality yet and that takes time to do it, and also takes a football team around him that in a coach that that's helping all of that, And right now that's not happening. What would you take this has been? It's why that's why this is the I'm calling this the unhappy hour.
Speaker 1: I've heard you say that, and I thought it was because I'm a most exciting not because he No, No, but listen, if Trevor walked in here and said, hey, you know, where's missus Green? Is the rope around here? Anywhere? If Trevor walked in here right now, and sat down on that couch. What would you tell them?
Speaker 2: I would ask him where's confidence is at? You know, where's your confidence at? How can you raise the level of play of those guys around you? What is it like in the huddle with your offensive lineman? What do you do with them away from practice in the building, because you know that's a big part of football too, you know, and I know that there's a lot that has been written and Trevor's talked a lot about the relationship that he has with Christian Kirk kind of away from the field. You know, you got to have a little bit of that with your offensive lineman too. You know, he gets them blocking a little bit harder on every play.
Speaker 1: All right, Thanks, it's been fun.
Speaker 2: I'm looking forward to a happier hour.
Speaker 1: Well, we're gonna get Doug Peterson a here and hopefully we'll be a big embulent sunshine sort of smile.
Speaker 2: Well, sunshines and rainbows are good, and I would like to have two happy hours next week.
Speaker 1: From your lips to God's Ears and hopefully the coach agrees with that. That's next, by the way, that Doug Peterson show. That'll do it for a happy hour. On ten ten XL and on ninety two point five FM thanks to our entire broadcast crew and let's get our number two and the Doug Peterson Show started right away