Speaker 1: Looking for a mortgage bank to help you make your next major mortgage move, whether it's a refi or home purchase, regardless of whether it's your first one or one of many. Consider our friends at Stockton Mortgage, but don't just take our word for it. Stockton Mortgage has over seventy thousand five star reviews and counting, just like this review from Joshua, who says this about his experience with Stockton. They were super professional, always answer my questions I had, and streamlined the process. I could not ask for better people to help me and my family get our first house. I feel blessed to be able to go through them. Be like Joshua or the sixty nine, nine hundred and ninety nine others just like him, and get started with Stockton Mortgage today by going to Stockton dot com and get started. I've even used Stockton Mortgage myself on my own home loan. For your home loan needs, Stockton dot com and click get started Stockton Mortgage NMLS eight two five nine, Equal Housing Lender NMLS, Consumer Access dot Org.
Speaker 2: Welcome back into Chaos. This is not Matt Jones. This is Drew Franklin with my good friends Adam Luckett and Billy Rutledge filling in while the whole crew is on vacation and right now we are happy to be joined by UK defensive back and former Frederick Douglas bronco Ty Bryant, taking a break from spring practice. Ty, Thanks for volunteering your time to chat with us. How are things going over at the facility today?
Speaker 3: They're going really good, really well.
Speaker 4: We just got out of meetings, had a good lift earlier too, so it was great.
Speaker 3: Thank you for having me.
Speaker 2: Of course, very excited to talk to you. You played a lot as a freshman and sophomore every game, I believe, and now you're only going into your third year, but it feels like you're one of the vets. Are you taking on a leadership role with all these new players on the team and taking them under your wing, even though it's only going to be your third year.
Speaker 3: Yeah, most definitely.
Speaker 4: I feel like last year that was the one thing Coach White said he felt like I led by example a lot, even going back to my freshman year. But he said this year, coming into this year, that he wants to see me be more of a vocal leader. So that's what I've been trying to do and like you said, kind of just teach the young guys, but also kind of guide the older guys that are just now getting into our program.
Speaker 2: You and some of your teammates in spring interviews and even at the end of last season mentioned that towards the end of last year, things kind of lightened up in the weight room, maybe weren't up to the standard regarding work ethic as the season went on. How is the accountability behind the scenes now in springball and you using that leadership to get things on the right track.
Speaker 4: I feel like now everybody's on the same page. I mean, there's no hiccups. Everybody is on the same page. We know what to where. I mentioned last year how there was a time where it kind of, like like you said, just kind of just got lected Daysico, we were just coming in there with whatever. It's not like that at all anymore this year. So I feel like steps like that is what's going to lead us to just have a good year this year.
Speaker 2: You've got over thirty new faces on the roster. I believe lots of new people in the building. Are what are some of the things that go on behind the scenes, not just on the field or in the weight room, but just to get to know everyone and get the team building going. Son, you have that camaraderie as the year goes on.
Speaker 4: Honestly, I give a lot of credit to Coachhould. He's put together a great team events where we have to sit there and it's mandatory we have to sit there, and we have to learn each other. Obviously, you're gonna learn about your position group because you're with them every day, but just going above and beyond and just getting to learn other people. We've done this Championship Challenge type of deal where we had nine or eight teams and there was team captains, two for each team, and we had a draft, and that's a great way just to get to know people, get to know their skill sets, what they're comfortable doing and what they're not comfortable doing.
Speaker 3: And right now we're currently in a.
Speaker 4: Phrase phase called breaking Bread where it's like you get partnered with somebody, you have to go find them and ask them a series of questions just to get to know them. And after practice it's randomly selected coach calls up two people and you got to tell them about your partner.
Speaker 3: And I feel like that that's really good.
Speaker 5: It's cool, ty Adam Luckett here. I know that team building has a big been a big emphasis for coach Stoops. I believe they they even said that they're doing kind of where your position coach will take all out the dinner, y'all for dinner or whatnot. Now, with spring practicing wrapping up and you've gotten to actually practice real football practice with your new teammates and with all this team building stuff going on, do you see that that stuff you're all doing off the field, do you see as as compared to your last two years, do you see that paying off when you're out there practicing and going through actual football activities with your teammates and coaches.
Speaker 3: Yes, sir, definitely.
Speaker 4: But I feel like with anything, it's a it's a learning experience. So just going out there and you know, continue just to build the chemistry every single day, because right now we don't have to have a chemistry a huntred and ten percent, but in the fall we do. So it's just just continue just to build that chemistry with the team. But I mean, I do feel like the chemistry that we have on this team as special and I'm looking forward to see what we do in the fall I've heard you mentioned.
Speaker 2: Is it called the Superstars competition something like that you are kind of playing as part of this team building. What's an example of something you all will go through other than you know, Lucky just mentioned having the dinners and things. But what do you all, yeah, is the basketball goal still out there doing some other have to field activities to keep you all getting close?
Speaker 4: Yes, most definitely, so the basketball goal is still in our indoor. Just to take you through a little bit, we started off the day we came in. We had dodgeball. As soon as you lose, you're out.
Speaker 3: You know, you got to support the teams that are still in. After that, we went over there and we did hot.
Speaker 4: Shots, whereas where you get to pick the location that you shoot the ball.
Speaker 3: You could either do a layup for I think it.
Speaker 4: Was one point, a free throw for two, and then a three pointer for three points, and you get to shoot four minutes straight.
Speaker 3: After that, I think we went to tugle War.
Speaker 4: We did another basketball Challenge knockout, and then we got into team competitions, which it was like, uh, dodgeball was the team's competition, tugle war, and then we did a sled racing competition, and that was pretty fun.
Speaker 3: My team ended up walking away with the devil with that one, so that's always fun. But and then.
Speaker 4: Lastly we finished off or we did push ups and set up as well, and then we finished off with an eating competition, and it's always fun just to see everybody just you know, try to munch.
Speaker 3: Down on the donuts and stuff like that. It was a good time.
Speaker 2: Well, I wasn't gonna go this direction with the interview, but I have to know who would be the first pick in tug of war and who would be the first pick in the eating competition.
Speaker 6: Who are the stars there?
Speaker 3: I'm trying to think who won, uh tug of war for me? M trying to think.
Speaker 6: One of the linemen.
Speaker 3: Uh, yeah, it's definitely gonna be one the one the lineman.
Speaker 4: I'm trying to think it's either probably gonna be Jagger for me or uh probably Jagger.
Speaker 2: Honestly, I saw Jagger at the open practice. He's put on some weight, so I believe you on that. Getting back to football, we we've only gotten one small peak of the team at a at a short practice last week, so we're gonna need you to give us some scoop. Have there been any head turning moments or any wow plays and scrimmage that have happened so far that would make a highlight reel of springball that none of us got to see.
Speaker 3: Definitely.
Speaker 4: Uh, First of all, I want to say, I believe that j Q Hardaway number six has taken great step, Like he's taking a huge step.
Speaker 3: Man. I'm excited to see what he does during the fall.
Speaker 4: He's had amazing days, he's back days, and he's gotten way better. I feel like us as a dB corps, we've gotten way better and it's exciting just to see it. Also, somebody who's been turning heads as freshman, DJ Miller. He's made a lot of great plays these past couple of days, So I'm excited to see.
Speaker 3: What he does and what he involved evolves into.
Speaker 4: But yeah, I mean there's been definitely great plays by everybody, But I mean, if I'm being honest, those two the one who stands out to me the most.
Speaker 3: Oh.
Speaker 4: Also, also uh, Mike Keith Mike Keith Grace, He's gone made some great plays on the d line, and yeah, it's been fun and exciting to see him.
Speaker 5: And Tip if you were just gonna You know, you could talk to the fan base right now through us. If you were just gonna tell the fans why they should, why they should embrace your alls team, and why this is gonna be a good year for for you all. What would you tell them.
Speaker 4: I would tell them that we've put in a lot of work and we've turned a lot of things around.
Speaker 3: We do have a lot of new faces.
Speaker 4: But we take the proper steps to uh gonna make them into our system. And I would really just tell them just to you know, stay true to us, be down for us, be with us through it all.
Speaker 3: And last year it.
Speaker 4: Definitely was a low moment for all of us, not just them, for us to I mean, we had to live the moment. They did too, but you know, we're out there playing and stuff like that. But you know, continue just stay loyal to us, and this year we're gonna make them proud. We're gonna make them happy. They're going to leave Kroger Fields or watch the games it's on away game, and they're going to be happy with what we do on Saturdays.
Speaker 2: What are your personal goals for the season, just you at your position and then as the team. If you're writing down what you want to accomplish, What are some examples of what you'd like to get done next season.
Speaker 4: So I do have personal goals, but I kind of just keep that to myself. That's just something I've always done my whole life. And then because I feel like with my faith, I just feel like whatever is meant to happen is going to happen regardless for the team. Though we do want to go to the SEC Championship, we do want to go to the playoffs, make a deep run in that hopefully win a national championship.
Speaker 2: And yeah, and this Saturday, fans can get their first look at the team at the Spring Showcase out at Kroger.
Speaker 6: Field at ten am.
Speaker 2: You're looking forward to kind of practicing and playing in front of some people that aren't just the teams and coaches, get the fans in the buildings start to feel that.
Speaker 4: Again, Yes, sir, of course, I feel like when fans get involved, that's when energy comes as well. So I mean, if you do something bad, you're going to hear it from the fans. If you do something good, you're going to hear it from the fans. So I definitely do I think that fans they bring energy and also just like afterwards, when you know you get to sit there and sign little kids stuff and giving.
Speaker 3: Them things because once upon a time I was that little kid.
Speaker 4: So I just feel like, you know, it's only right that you just show love, and for me, it's giving back to my community.
Speaker 2: Very cool, What a great way to in that. Thanks for taking time out of your busy morning to chat with us. We look forward to seeing you. It's on Saturday, and we really look forward to next fall when it all gets started for real.
Speaker 6: But thank you for your time today.
Speaker 3: Yes, sorry, thank you.
Speaker 2: Have a nice day, you too, appreciate it. Lucky, I like that some of the players he said to watch. I think we're identical to what you said to start the show. Did you entire coordinate this interview before you joined me a chast bar today, Drew.
Speaker 5: First of all, I got to point out, I just appreciate that I didn't have a screeching noise in my ears and my headset after last year's malfunction when we had Dion.
Speaker 2: That's right, you were here when Dion called in and everything all hell broke loose. The next thing I know, I'm was standing out by sonic.
Speaker 5: He was on the sonic roof with an antenna with the a satellite this trying to get service. So that was definitely definitely different.
Speaker 6: Thanks for that memory. I'd forgotten that.
Speaker 5: Most interesting part of that to me, honestly is the ty Bryant I don't want to talk about individual goals. He's not the first one that says that there's been a handful Mark stoops. Instead, he doesn't want to talk about individual players. There is very much a where they've kind of sold team mindset. We're all in this together, we're all pulling on the same rope. To me, that has been one of my bigger takeaways from the spring is that it's not just one, it's a whole collect of them not getting into into that they to me, that's been a clear kind of focus area for them. So that was to me of the interview that was the biggest takeaway. And the end again, I think he mentioned some players that they need to be good players and JQ Hardaway is a guy they need it took a big step next year. They need him to take a bigger step, and he's in line really to be you know, they kind of got a quietly kind of a pipeline of draft picks at Corner Building. He looks like a guy that could potentially be the next one.
Speaker 6: Also like he doesn't shy away.
Speaker 2: And the other teammates have been this week too way too about admitting that last year they dropped the ball, especially late in the season. Just kind of seems like guys were doing what they weren't wanted to do and weren't meeting the standard and putting in the one hundred percent work they needed to. They have not shot away and admitting that and saying that needed to change, and it you know, all they can do.
Speaker 6: Is talk about it right now.
Speaker 2: We're not over there to see the results, but it sounds like behind the scenes they're they're trying to get back what they need to be.
Speaker 7: And it's a kid that cares, right. I mean, he's from Lexington, his dad played at Kentucky. I mean, if anybody is gonna feel their pride test, and it's going to be somebody that cares about the UNIF as much as a guy like ty Bryant does.
Speaker 8: So I'm excited to see him continue to flourish.
Speaker 7: And I mean that's a guy that hasn't missed any games at him. I mean, he's stayed healthy and have been a good addition for Kentucky.
Speaker 5: Well, he was a guy we talked about Travis Perry kind of getting forced into the lineup. Yeah, it's true. Feshman season, they had a bunch of injuries at safety. He had to play a lot when it was unexpected. And now you fast forward year three, he's played a lot of snaps and he's gonna be a key call And even heard him talk Brad White said he talked to Tye It's like, I need you to be a leader on this team, and he's trying to do that. And he's a guy. You know, these are specific type of players local that you got to hit on and that you need to be leaders. It's easier, I think for a kid like him, who's grown up here, who has a connect tide of the program from you know, his dad played here, it's easier for him to I think, get easier to have a player like that being a leadership type role. And that's something that they need to have and he needs to be kind of a backbone piece for them this year on defense.
Speaker 2: And I feel a personal connection to him because I'll live next to the Douglas Stadium, and uh, I know their their playlist in the morning when they're I remember when Ty was over there. I watched a lot of his games in his last season, so you know, I feel connection to the farm and all the Douglas Broncos. So I'm rooting for him and Jager just as much as anyone on that team. You know, spring football in the air, there's also you know, other things in the air, like shaking off the gloom of winter. Our friends at Cornbread Hemp are here to help you start fresh. Relax on warm spring weekends like this upcoming one with practice with their infused gummies, relieve achy winter joints with their hemp bombs and lotions, and get the rest you deserve with their melatonin free sleep gummies. Their USDA organic hemp products are made to help you fill your best just like Nature intended. All their products are made right here in Kentucky. You contain the highest quality relief you can buy this spring. Try the Good Life for yourself and get twenty percent off your first order with code KSR at checkout. It's Cornbreadhimp dot com code KSR corn Bread Hemp.
Speaker 8: This is the good life, well done great transition into the ad too.
Speaker 6: I fumbled it a little bit.
Speaker 2: I was gonna do the spring thing there and I kind of got my words tied. But you know whatever, I'm getting exact. On day four, Drip Losa, I did get my corn bread hemp in yesterday, my own personal supply, so I took one of those last night. I can't recommend them enough, and I can't recommend enough. Sticking with us for a couple more segments, got Billy Adam lucking here. We got more football to talk, more masters to talk. We want to hear from you on the Clark's Pumping Shop phone line, and we will be right back right after this. Welcome back to Kentucky Sports Radio. Rick playing the Hits. Rick, It's been a fun week with you so far. Usually I don't get to communicate with you that much, but you've been a big help getting these interviews, books, get me my scripts.
Speaker 6: I've enjoyed working with you.
Speaker 2: Through four days. We got one more tomorrow. Brother, all right, maybe this will just be the future. Those guys can stay on vacation, Drew, Rick, Billy, we can keep this thing going. But right now we're gonna keep it going with Adam Luckett. He's joining us today, made the trip from Louisville to be a part of the show. We're talking about the Masters. We're watching the Masters. Just had a good conversation with Todd Bryant. As this leaderboard starts to, you know, get some names moving around. I guess I should get your official master's picks before you can cheat and see who's started. Well, who did you all lucky? I know you did your luck. It's locks post on KSR plus yesterday. Can you reveal maybe who you put a little dabbled on who to win?
Speaker 5: Yeah, definitely check that out. We've got all kinds of wagers and all kinds of stuff on there, so definitely check that out KSR plus. But this this tournament was made for more Kywa. It's only a matter of time before he wins it. So he was my pickup with sixteen to one. You could have got him pre and you can still get me now if you want to get on there. There's still have a lot of odds up now. But yeah, more Kyle is my pick. I think he's been top ten consecutive Masters. He is the best iron player in golf. This is an iron tournament. Second shot tournament. So more Kyle is my pick.
Speaker 7: Golf guards want let more Kawa win. All the complaining he's been doing about the media, Oh, don't interview me after I lose. I love doing top tens instead of Yeah, kind of opens up the field a little bit more. Drew, you've mentioned you've already been on Oberg. I mean, he's been on fire. I don't see a world in which he doesn't finish.
Speaker 8: In the top ten.
Speaker 7: And I didn't want to bet on Scottie, but Rory, I mean, if he doesn't win the Masters this year and deplete the Grand Slam, he may never I mean, he is playing some of his best golf and look, I mean, I'm sure he's feeling the pressure.
Speaker 8: So I'm all in on Rory this year.
Speaker 7: And I dabbled in a couple more top tens, but Oberg was really the one I circled for the most part.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I went to Sweden with a Oldberg bet. He's one of my favorite golfers. Got him at seventeen to one. Also did Koepka at thirty to one, and I have to do posting at two hundred to one, you know, very unlikely, but I'm rooting for the guy, and I hope if he wins it big, I can win a little bit big too. Also, I did a make the cut parlay on DraftKings Crown of Yours, go get your Master's bet in. But I picked five players to make the cut at plus four hundred, posting Batilla, Straka, Thomas, and Schoffling.
Speaker 6: So see if that pays out.
Speaker 5: Billy.
Speaker 2: Let's talk a little more Masters about last year, because we had a very unique Monday. Last Monday of the Masters, I was there and you cannot take your phone in. So at seven am, I parked my car, called my wife, said if an emergency happens, good luck. I won't talk to you into about eight pm, turned my phone completely off, threw my glove box, locked the car.
Speaker 6: And went into the golf course.
Speaker 2: A few hours later, John Cali Perry left the University of Kentucky. There were reports of Arkansas. All hell's breaking loose in BBN. Our website's going crazy. You actually had to host the show with Matt because Ryan and was Shannon off too.
Speaker 8: Shannon was not there.
Speaker 2: Look these big vacation guys. I took one day off. I took one Monday and the one day I took off is when everything went chaotic. But for me, it was such a real, a surreal day walking around that course because I had a good indication the night before I had been reported. I knew that it was coming, but I could not follow it. I had random people on the golf course chasing me down. People from Kentucky that listened.
Speaker 6: To the show.
Speaker 2: They're like, Drew, what are you hearing? Like, I'm not hearing anything. I'm here with you with empty pockets. But it was the anniversary of the John Cally John Caliperry departure. When I get to my phone in my cards now about eight pm, soun's going down. I call Abby and I'm like, just give me the rundown. First of all, I had so many texts it was unbelievab. I couldn't even answer them because, like I said, absolute chaos everywhere. And she's trying to catch me up on everything. And I remember her being like, and he's on the news walking his dog and a stroller. And I'm standing outside the gate in Augusta and I just yell, what do you mean he's walking his dog and a stroller? Like, what in the hell have I missed today being gone for thirteen hours, but you know you were a big part of the show and you helped you break it all down with Matt that day.
Speaker 8: Surprise, your phone still worked when you got back.
Speaker 6: It was I've never seen anything like that.
Speaker 7: It was smoking or it probably was delayed a little bit. That was an all time moment for Billy R.
Speaker 8: Sports.
Speaker 7: I mean, he got the call from the bullpen late Sunday night, knowing Drew wasn't gonna be there. All the TV cameras are setting up and incorrectly titling my name. I think actually that was Stephen Peak that did that on the YouTube channel. But anyway, that was such an interesting week, and you already mentioned the cow walking his dogs on Richmond Road and just how bizarre that was. We may have had more listeners that day and that week than ever Andrew there, He couldn't even look at his phone to figure out what was going on.
Speaker 8: It was a surreal week.
Speaker 7: It was also a week where I told a listener to show up if he disagreed with my opinion, and he did.
Speaker 6: Yeah, You're on fire that week, challenging listeners to fight.
Speaker 8: He was complaining.
Speaker 7: I was like, look do something about it show up and then he did, but he didn't say anything event so that didn't come to fruition at all. But yeah, Big Week and Billy r sports lore and it was all because Drew was gone.
Speaker 5: Ksar could have our own Rough and Rowdy with Billy.
Speaker 6: And the listener, no kidding. That guy was big, right, you didn't want that smoke?
Speaker 5: He was big.
Speaker 7: And then I'm sure you know that they tried to get me in Shannon to fight at Rough and Rowdy all those years ago.
Speaker 8: Had to back out.
Speaker 2: They just got in a car act Billy over here fighting all the time. I had just gotten into Georgia and parked my car with my good friends Kent and Manny, ready to have a good couple of days there. And we're sitting at Hooters of all places, I want to say, we're watching Bill and shout out John Daily. I think we were watching the Women's Championship that would have been on Sunday. Yeah, we were watching the Women's Championship. And I get a text from someone who would know and they said, buckle up, it's about to be a bumpy road. And at that time the cow stuff wasn't really out, and I sent back. What are you talking about? Is this related to John Caliperry? Because I just left Kentucky and I'm off no answer. Then the night goes on, and then it starts to leak out and I even consider its like do I drive back? You know this is gonna be one of the biggest shows ever. And I'm not there, and Ryn's off in Panama City. But I've got my two friends with me. You know, they're not riding back with me so I can do a radio show. And I called Matt like, I don't know what you want me to do. I got a ticket to golf tomorrow or I can't take my phone. And that's that's where they called you in and you and Matt had quite the morning there.
Speaker 7: Well, we had just gotten the video of Mitch and cow speaking with was it lex eighteen and how they.
Speaker 5: Were they farmer?
Speaker 8: Yeah, yeah, everybody was gonna get back together. I mean it was just about about working to a common goal again. And then this happened.
Speaker 5: Crazy week for the group Chats back then crazy week for the group Chats felt like we I know you were gone when you got back, felt like we were working for twenty one hours on the website when all that stuff was going on in the hiring process. Well then crazy time. That was our first real coaching search. Yeah right, Like we haven't had a coaching search since really, you know, Twitter was kind of around with Mark Stoops, wasn't really around with Mcallis hired. That was our first coaching search through Twitter.
Speaker 7: That's why I wanted to bring up I mean, Scott Drew in the Mexican restaurant in Waco. We had Dan Hurley come to Lexington and decline the job, and then it was late Thursday night we get the call about Pope and then that surreal Friday morning where all the opinions change in about a two hour span.
Speaker 6: And I wouldn't have taken off if actually, yeah, I would have.
Speaker 2: It was the Masters. I probably still had taken off, Like you said, they had just done the No he's staying, I'm like, well, surely I can leave for a Monday. I mean I was only off a Monday. No, absolute chaos. The only reason I got to go to the Masters is my good friend Aaron Fleeener, who's probably making the turn right now with the bag on his shoulder. He met me and Pittsburgh to have a full four day weekend of the NCAA tournament. We had big plans on that Friday, after Kentucky's first round game. We had other friends in town. We're gonna go to the casino in Pittsburgh and watch all the first round games that day. Of course, Kentucky loses on Thursday to Oakland. I wake up and he has already flown to Nashville. He's already home. He got the earliest flight he could. Everyone is scattered. Matt and I drive back, and so since we were all miserable and didn't get to have the weekend we wanted, he was like, Hey, you want to go to the Masters, and I was like, absolutely, yes, I do. So I kind of got that on the fly thanks to him, but made for a crazy, crazy, crazy Monday.
Speaker 8: Thank you Jack Goldkey for letting you go to the.
Speaker 2: Yes, I would have rather been watching Kentucky and then Stilly tournament, to be honest, but it was definitely wild times. I remember I was in line for the shop, very long line to go in and get my nome. I'm a big gnome guy, and there was a dude with an Alabama tattoo on his leg and he's talking about UK and then it hits him mid conversation. He's like, oh, wait, you are coming to get Nate Oates, aren't you. At the time, I'm like maybe, And he's freaking out in line about Nate Oates leaving, but just whispers all around the golf course about the chaos, chaos going on in college basketball.
Speaker 8: You can spend a thousand dollars pretty quickly in that Master's bro shop.
Speaker 6: Oh I can. I can definitely confirm. I'm wearing a lot of it right now. But we'll come back.
Speaker 2: We'll talk a little more football, take more of your call, maybe get a little goofy, maybe even talk about more about the Masters. We're having a good Thursday here on day four of Drew Palooza with Adam Luckett Billy Rutledge. This is Drew Franklin filling in for the whole crew. They get back on Monday, but you got another day of me tomorrow. Right now, we'll take a break, we'll be right back. Welcome back to KSR. Drew Franklin with Adam Luckett and Billy r Sports. The segment is brought to you by VOA Mid States, part of Volunteers of America that's what the VOA is for. At VOA Mid States Branch, which serves Kentucky, Tennessee, West Virginia, and Clark and Floyd Counties in southern Indiana, they're the region's largest nonprofit provider of human services. Volunteers of America Mid States provides quality, family focused services for women seeking addiction recovery at their Freedom House program and offers services for men seeking addiction recovery at their Liberty Place program. Since nineteen ninety three, the treatment, therapy and sobriety support programs have helped thousands of women and families across Kentucky recover and rebuild it better the national average rates. If you were someone you love are fighting substance of use, they're here to help. It's VOA Mid States. Whoever you are and wherever they serve, they're here to help. Go to voamid dot org to learn more or called five h two six three six four or five three zero. Let's put the golf talk for a side, get back to football. We gotta dig more into luck. It's a big brain, he knows all about it. I feel like I've been hearing positive things about the newly revamped offensive line like it. You know, you want continuity, but they had to go out and get lots of new pieces across the board. But it sounds like so far there is some optimism around that group.
Speaker 6: Is that correct?
Speaker 5: Yeah, we don't get to see like the money spent, like nice to see a patchhart to see where the funds are going. But I think if you were to draw one up, as an educated guess, a lot of it would be invested in the offensive line, and then some of their defensive line acquisitions, like we heard Ty talking about mcque humph for Grace who was a big one at defensive end. But again it's totally rebuilt offensive line. They good. If they wanted to start five transfers, like they've got five guys today, I think they could start. I think you start with tackle. Their two starting tackles are gonna be transfer she Os Pate was a big one. He was pete excuse me, left tackle, and then Alex Wolfschlager who was from Bowling Green was an All MAC performer. But it sounds like the word out of the open practice was the interior offensive line was impressive. Joshua bron was an All SEC player at Arkansas is probably gonna be Kentucky starting right guard. Moved Jagger inside the center. Now you'll remember that was a move they tried to make two years ago. There was some snap snapping inaccuracy they had the moving back to guard, but it sounds like they're maybe gonna try him out center. But they also added Evan Wibberley from w k U at center, Billy R Sports and then Jalen Farmer, who returns at guard, was a Florida transfer last year, really had a kind of a good year, but it was no one really.
Speaker 6: Talked about that because part of a bigger mess.
Speaker 5: But he's the guy. I think they're they're excited about moving forward. So you've kind of got the pieces, and I think they have the quality depth that they just haven't had really in any recent years. And there's a chance if they wanted to rotate, they could at a couple spots. So overall, I think the optimism is high. I think they when they talk about the group, they talk about kind of how they go about their business and how they work kind of an older group and there's no real drama there and they feel confident about what they can bring. And I think just the floor wise, I think they've really raised that really high. I think floor wise, they should be in a better spot when you add in the experience and the depth, just the depth they've added last year. I think this time last year, we talked about the floor being high, but there was worries about the depth, and then Marcus Cox seemed like he played through an injury all year. Gerald Mincy gets hurt like the second game, and that depth just got eviscerated as soon as the season started. Or this year, I think they're in a better They have a better chance to absorb an injury or two if that if that occurs. So just overall, and but when you get back to the money, like they've invested in this group, they need this group to be good and that's really gonna determine. And I think how good the offense can be is just how the offensive line comes together.
Speaker 2: With Jagger very for everyone's very familiar with Jagger, Lex and kids got over thirty starts playing at guard now playing a little center. I'm no expert on the matter, but at the thirty minutes of practice I got to watch, he looked like he's put on a lot of weight. Was that something he did, And what's the talk around him and the optimism around him stepping in that new role.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think that is the That was a surprise to me like that when he was at center. That was a surprise that I that that was that he was there, because I thought they brought in Wibberley to be the plug and play center there. But it sounds like they're they're putting Jagger there. Whibberley's kind of banged up. It sounds like for Mark Stoops and so to me, Burton that was always kind of his natural position. If he could play that, It just the snapping was an issue when he played that too. I guess Levis's last year or Leary one of those years he played center and it just didn't work out. And so if he can fit there that you could see that being a really good fit. And it gives Kentucky some depth I really think across the board if he can play there. But Jaggery, he was a guy Drew like, it would have made sense. I guess for him to transfer, right, it hasn't gone well, everyone else is leaving this room. They're bringing in all these new guys. You've had all these different position coaches, different coordinators. It would have made sense for him to get get a fresh start somewhere. But we got to talk to him about a week two weeks ago and was basically like he said, you could kind of hear some of the lectioning thing coming out. You could hear the Kentucky football fan I think coming out in him, which was basically like, I just wouldn't feel right if I left this place in this position, Like I just wouldn't wouldn't feel right. So I'm with these coaches. I believe in these coaches, and he's here to help fix that. And now we'll see how it goes. But again, like I think they're in a position where if someone's not playing well, they can put someone else in there, and that was simply just hasn't been an option last I would say, really since twenty twenty one, maybe even before then, really since twenty twenty that they haven't had the depth like this. And so we'll see how that plays out once the games begin. But we know what Mark Stoops football is. They want to run the ball, they want to drain clock, they want to win games playing complimenting football, and that means long time of possessions and that means you've got to have a good offensive line that can push people around a lot. A lot hinges on them being being able to do that, being able to establish the run game, and then where you don't have to have a lot of pressure on your quarterback or your receivers or your offensive coordinator to you know, call the perfect play that have scheming up at the perfect time to get guys open magically when you need to. If you're able to run the ball, that makes everything easier. And I think a lot is dependent on that group being good. If that group's not good, you want to talk about bad case scenario, that's the bad that's a bad scenario. It's like, well, how do we even do anything if if this group we spent all this money on, invested all our racism on it, if they're not good, then we're kind of in a tough shape.
Speaker 7: I'm excited for the Western guy, but I've heard great things about the peak the tackle.
Speaker 2: Just he sticks out so much. Six eight funny interview as well, all of six eight from the Navajo Nation. Kind of a unique background here.
Speaker 7: Our expectations too high for the offensive line, I mean their identity of the big blue wall.
Speaker 8: It's been years since that.
Speaker 5: I don't think people want the best offensive line in college football. I just think they want one that's in the middle of the pack in the sec. If you deliver that, they're gonna be in much better shape. But they have to prove they can do that. Sure they haven't done it last few years.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm very distracted by our friends from Benton here? Can you as smell those fried banana peppers? I have four or five cups of coffee on an empty stomach, and their food smells delicious. Good to have ya here. I might take a buy of your food during this next break.
Speaker 6: Luck it.
Speaker 2: If there's a position group we're really worried about, what would it be? What would you say if there's a there's one that looks like it could be a weak spot. What needs to get short up before fall gets here?
Speaker 5: It's a great question. Linebacker is one where you kind of moved to Alex Safari. Inside you lost just a lot of star power with de Eric Jackson and Jimi Johnson.
Speaker 6: Reading tacklers.
Speaker 5: Yeah, they peel confident David Rayner and they added laying them one from the portal. But then it's a lot of young guys, So linebacker is one I think. I think that sticks out. Again, I think safety, they're a little thin there, like Martell's Carter and Cam Dooley, who are freshmen, are kind of your third and four safeties. So that's that's one to watch. I think potentially, you know, they got Ty Bryant back there, but that's one I think to watch. And then offensively, Kentucky had they've the Kentucky staple on offenses. We've got a thousand yard back and we're gonna give him the dag on ball.
Speaker 2: Had a lot of all sec rushers in the successful years.
Speaker 5: So do they have that. We've never really seen them kind of do the committee thing, like be really good at it. That's kind of how it's shaping up right now. Or can one of those backs step up and be kind of a focal point of the offense. We saw what will Cox could do, but there's some trust and consistency she's with them. I think you brought Dante Daldell to come in and really they stunk a short yardage and he was one of the best short yardage backs in college football last year, so brought him in to fix that. And then Jay Patterson as a young guy. I think they're excited about. But to me, they really need one or two guys in that group to emerge and be kind of the guy for them offensively, because they have been at their best when they just had a back and say, you know what, we're giving this guy the ball seventeen to twenty two times and that's how we're gonna move the football.
Speaker 8: Well, it's good to hear you not say long snapper or kicker, because.
Speaker 5: Well, kickers are out. Kicker is a question mark, but there's other issues I think we have to worry about before we get into kicker.
Speaker 2: Looking way into the future, I intentionally saved this news piece for when you were on the show.
Speaker 6: They got a.
Speaker 2: Quarterback commitment, first commitment in the twenty twenty seventh class earlier this week on Monday Tuesday ish.
Speaker 6: Maybe yeah, But DJ.
Speaker 2: Hunter they got him out of Knoxville of all places. Tell us about him in that first piece in the twenty twenty seven recruiting goal.
Speaker 5: He's a kid actually who's got family in Lexendon apparently, so there's a connection there. He's it's very early in the process, but this is a guy who started games last year. For a high school in Knoxville and has kind of a dual threat skill set, Like if you want to go and watch the film, it's a good film. So I think there's a chance this guy can be kind of like a top two hundred national recruit. So it's nice to get him on the board early. It's a really big recruiting When we talked about quarterback, they've got to get better at developing guys. But you've got to have good recruiting wins like the typically the guys you end up being able to develop our guys who were coveted as high school recruits. And this is a guy I think we'll be coveted and I you know, it's a long recruiting process, but to get him in the boat early, it's always nice. It would be one of the like I would kind of compare it to the cutter Bully recruitment, like this is a guy who who's gonna have legitimate power conference options and you got him, you were able to get him committed early, and he's a guy again it's a long way away, but it was a very solid recruiting win. I think for the staff to get that guy early, and it came just a week after he was on campus. He was just at go on Kentucky's campus and he decided to call Mark Stoops and that was kind of I don't know, I know, everything's getting lost in the sauce now, but if you go and check it ou out on CaSR, like he calls Stoops and you get to hear stoops his raw reaction we have up on the site and that was pretty pretty cool, like behind the scenes clip there we got. But yeah, I can think for him that's a good recruiting win and it kind of keeps them where they're You got to do both. To me, you've got to be able to get portal and you've got to be able to get consistently get quarterbacks in and they're in a slow start at twenty twenty six. It doesn't look like they're probably gonna get a quarterback in twenty twenty six, so to get one in twenty twenty seven, it's really important. Then they got him in the fold.
Speaker 2: He's a future Cat in the news. We also have some former Cats in the news.
Speaker 6: Weird.
Speaker 2: Now, what is it two weeks away from today? Is the NFL Draft?
Speaker 3: Is it?
Speaker 6: Am I correct?
Speaker 2: That is correct two weeks. Yeah, it'll be right here. Dion's been slipping. You got Harston in the fold the linebackers. You mentioned any predictions for how the draft could shake out for the former Cats.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Eli Hawks is also going to get drafted.
Speaker 6: Yeah, point on the combine Star.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so he had a big bit. He crushed the pre draft process, so he's gonna get a shot to play somewhere next year. Hairston is right in the fringe first round. But one thing I will say, he's cornerback three and that's typically position teams like the draft early. So I think he's got a really good shot at you know, when you start getting in the twenties. I think he's in draft range, so he could be would be the first Kentucky player at first cornerback to be a first round pick.
Speaker 8: Wow.
Speaker 5: So that's that's a chance for him. So he's gonna go off the board early. I think for Dion, you're looking at round three's round four, as the pre draft process hasn't been great.
Speaker 2: Crazy that he's in the third and fourth round discussion now from the top two would.
Speaker 5: Be earlier in the year. Yeah, I would be surprised if he falls out of the third round. The way the draft works, Drew, once you get in the third, fourth, fifth, sixth round, they have things that are called comp picks, which is basically what they give teams if they lose a free agent, depend on how much the free agent signed for. So the Eagles are gonna get a high compick because Milton Williams signed for a lot of money. And so that's how that kind of works. I think when those compicks happen, that's kind of the range where Dion's gonna go in that third round. I would be surprised if he gets out of the third round. And then I think you look at Dumis Johnson and then eli Hawks will be Day Day three picks somewhere fourth, fifth, sixth round and that and then we'll see if any other these other Kentucky players can kind of sneak in and get get one in the seventh.
Speaker 2: Before we take a break, You're weren't a Bengals hat. I know we have a lot of Bengals listeners. How you feeling about your the offseason? The Bengals have had what they'll do in the draft. You know, you all went from being like my Titans just not in the discussion at all to contenders here lately. Are you excited about the future of Cincinnati.
Speaker 5: I'm very excited about continuing the Joe Burrow, T. Higgins Jamar Chase train. I think we're gonna score a lot of points next year. What I am worried about is what in the world are they doing on defense and how are they gonna fix that? And they have to really crush this draft. That is kind of my bigger concern. But just protect the asset, keep nine on the field. I think we'll have a chance. We just got to get this defense to some base level competent. If they do that, I think they've got a legit chance to win the Super Bowl. Well why do quarterback and now the Titans got to get there. Course.
Speaker 2: Yeah, while you're watching your team succeed, I'll be rooting for the cam Ward experience. My Titans have the number one pick. Can't wait to see how they blow that. They might take a punter with their draft history, who knows. But we'll take one more break here at KSR. We'll be right back to put a bow on today's episode, and tomorrow is the last day a Drew paloozas so We'll get you ready for that.
Speaker 6: This is KSR.
Speaker 2: There's Rick playing the hits right there. Drew Franklin for one last segment with Adam Luckett and Billy Rutledge got a message from Kentucky State Chamber. With storms continuing to hit Kentucky, the Kentucky Chambers continuing with their flood relief efforts and need the help of KSR listeners for those affected by the recent storms in Kentucky. The Kentucky Chamber has compiled a comprehensive list of community resources to assist in recovery. Individuals and families can find information on disastro assistance programs, including guidance on applying for FEMA AID and other services. Website also provides details on local shelters, food banks, and organizations offering immediate relief. If you're looking to contribute to the efforts, the site offers information on reputal organizations accepting donations and coordinating volunteer opportunities. Stay informed and access these vital resources by visiting ky Chamber dot com. Twenty twenty five Storm Relief Bill. I'm gonna put you on the spot. I got another master's question. Please, how much did you hate the kids at the Part three contests just today. I mean, we had Poppy McElroy, the daughter of Rory sink an incredible putt. I'm sure lots of people saw that twenty five footer downhill. He didn't line it up for her, she just tapped it with the putter. It felt like it took three minutes to get to the hole and dropped in perfectly.
Speaker 6: And my first thought was.
Speaker 2: Billy just broke his television because there are kids making plays at I guesst on Wednesday.
Speaker 7: No, I had the same thought when it happened, It's like, get these kids off the course. But there was a part of me like I felt like the Grinch a little bit where his heart grows like three four times the size because Keegan Bradley's throwing his kids in the air after a hole in one and just some special moments with Koepka and his son and daughter, and there was more than a few moments that were good with the kids.
Speaker 8: So I think I'm gonna allow this one.
Speaker 5: Does Billy have the Michael Jordan meme blown up and then a poster in his room the blank those kids?
Speaker 6: Yes, he does. Ronald Jordan actually took that from Billy.
Speaker 7: I feel like that was my mancho over the first two three years I did the post game shows with Matt. It was it really became a thing. And now now all the kids try to call in.
Speaker 3: And get it.
Speaker 2: I feel like we have a breakthrough. Maybe it was just a Master's Part three contest of what you needed. There are adorable little kids running around everywhere.
Speaker 8: I think it was Heather. I just need to start being nicer to the colors a little bit.
Speaker 6: You did, uh well, you want to you know, Matt's away. You have the floor.
Speaker 2: Have we I want to say, learned a lesson, but you used to just say to yourself your heart has grown a little bit. Mister grinch over there between Heather and and kids making putts at the Part three contest, Yeah.
Speaker 7: I can't challenge your listeners to a fight and to show up at the bar. I can't be that mean to children and women on the air and make them cry. I'm trying to grow a little bit, Drew, So hopefully I've made some progress over the last year or so. But we did have some eventful post game events this year that would say otherwise. But we'll see.
Speaker 2: Hopefully we're growing also as you noted you're no longer fighting listeners a year ago. This week you challenged a listener to a fight. You're past that, you're now enjoying kids making putts in Augusta. I mean, where, Billy, will we see a year from that? I know, who knows, who knows, who knows if I'm even here? I mean, I may be gone at this point. But you know that's not that's not shades of anything either. But you know, taking Mario underneath our wing has been a lot of fun. Shannon's really the only one that I need to worry about fighting nowadays.
Speaker 8: It's a we've made some growth.
Speaker 2: Well, I hope you're not gone tomorrow because you're co hosting with me. We're gonna be in studio. You know, I've used this week to get on all my my on three co workers. Been a big day for having the website crew with Jack, Zach Luckett, Had Phoenix On Had Steven. But tomorrow it's just gonna be me and you, and I've wanted all week to get goofy Can we can we kind of get off the rails a little bit with the last day. Let's let's let's see how far we can push this job and see if they'll still have us back.
Speaker 7: Yeah, no, I'm fine with that. I know you've got some great things planned. I don't know how much you've revealed, so I don't want to.
Speaker 2: I don't have that much planned to be honest, I'm gonna do that today. I got a little bit planned. Lexington has a big birthday coming up, so part of the show, I have people weekly ask me where to eat by Rapperina or what to do in Lexington. So part of tomorrow's show, in the celebration of Lexington turning two hundred and fifty soon, I will share a lot of recommendations, maybe some of my favorite things about Lexton, not just places to go, but people. We're gonna have a special Lexington guest who knows a lot about Lexington.
Speaker 6: Uh, will you have plenty to add?
Speaker 2: I know you're not, you haven't been a Lexingtonian for long, but I'm excited to, uh just shine a spotlight on this this city that is uh I call home.
Speaker 7: These days, I've branched out a little bit, I don't I don't know, only just eat at a tallex and ksbar and grill.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 7: So I've got a couple names in my pocket, like Jack Brown's, which we went to together to recently. Love love that place. That'll be on our list.
Speaker 8: Want to get to some places.
Speaker 5: Speaking of birthdays, I gotta give a shout out my dad's birthday, big six.
Speaker 6: Here we go, shout them out.
Speaker 5: And he's been in the birthday grinding away as all CPAs do at this time. Shout out to all the CPAs. You're almost you're almost through it.
Speaker 6: What's his name?
Speaker 5: Allan? Happy birthday, Alan Luckett.
Speaker 2: Happy birthday, Alan Luckett, man CPA with a birthday in April. That's gotta stink. Just working around the clock these days. I assume think thanks time you have six.
Speaker 5: Kids, you can just you know, you just spend your birthday just away in the office, so then you get doubled dip there.
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 2: Thanks to Alan's son Adam for making the trip from Louisville to talk football with us. Look forward to seeing you on Saturday as we get out there for the Spring showcase again. That's ten am at Croger Field. Doors open at nine if you want to go get a peek at this football team that's got thirty new pieces luck and help to educate us.
Speaker 5: There no TV for the Spring showcase, so if you're not there, you're gonna have to come join us at cast Board as we cover it play by play.
Speaker 2: All right, well, Billy and I will talk tomorrow. We'll celebrate Lexon's birthday. Tune in then