Speaker 1: This time the stage you lacers brazy, we will sue you.
Speaker 2: Tis the Gunner. Welcome Tuesday, January twenty fifth. Welcome to the Just Baseball Show. That's Jack McMullan and Arm Lighton and I am Peter Apple. We had a crazy NFL weekend that we haven't all gotten to speak about yet, but it is Mariner's week. We're playing general manager with the Seattle Mariners today. Bill's Chiefs. Though, before we continue, is it the greatest game we've ever seen in the NFL? Jack? You said that on Twitter.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I said it's the best game I've ever seen, and it's not close. Granted, I'm twenty three years old and I, you know, watched the NFL at a pedestrian pace, So like I think I tune into the best games. Like Javier Ray has brought up.
Speaker 2: A good point.
Speaker 3: He said Rams Chiefs in Mexico City a couple of years ago gave off those vibes like, oh, best game I've ever seen. Yeah, but yesterday it was twenty five points in the last minute fifty two of regulation. Yep, that's stupid.
Speaker 2: I was. I was thinking about this. Arm. I'd rather have Tom Brady with two minutes to go down a touchdown. But if you're down thirty seconds, give me Patrick Mahomes over any quarterback. He got within field goal range in thirteen seconds. Have you ever seen that before?
Speaker 4: No? No, that's That's something I've absolutely never seen. And the weirdest thing to me, though, dude, is like I feel like it is and I understand like defense is giving cushion and everything, but thirteen seconds. That should never happen ever, ever, ever, ever, ever to be able to drive down the field and get a field goal like that. But I always feel like at the end of a ball game, offensive sliders get bumped up to ninety nine across the board and just offense becomes so easy. And I get it, they're they're giving cushion, but like, why if it's that easy, why not just play regular defense? And it's never that easy. That's the part that always blows my mind. But that part aside, Other than the Greg Camrio overtime touchdown for the o in thirteen Dolphins, I think it was Ohen fifteen Dolphins. You lost my game to beat the Ravens. Jack, that was the best game ever.
Speaker 2: I was the Owen fifteen Dolphins. No. One remembers that game.
Speaker 3: Can you say that name one more time? Greg Camrio?
Speaker 4: Greg Camerrio got it and just got lost over the middle and touchdown. Dolphins won a game Jason Taylor mob in the field. That was one of the best football games I've been too over time, but I'll take this one over that.
Speaker 2: And this Bill's Chiefs game went into overtime, and the overtime rules in the NFL are so stupid compared to the MLB rules. I mean, I know everyone has seen this quote all over Twitter. It's like someone hits a walk off home run in the top of the tenth inning and in the bottom half the home team doesn't even get to defend themselves. It's kind of similar to when we knew when that coin toss was flipped, whoever had the right call was going to win that football game. The Chiefs ended up with the ball to start the overtime period, and they ended up winning it and on a touchdown for Patrick Mahomes. I mean, it's not that hard. It's the Chiefs, but if Josh Allen had another opportunity to do so, you probably would have continued and that game might have gone on for three four more hours. If it was just touchdown, touchdown, touchdown, I don't know who would have won.
Speaker 3: I'm pro college overtime rule, I really am. Like I don't like the two point conversion bullshit that they started doing this year when you've got like nine overtimes with Penn State. But the old one where you know, you start at the opposing twenty five yard line, give me your best shot. Other team has a chance to respond here. I like that. And after two overtimes you have to go for two if you score a touchdown. I love that, Like that is big time.
Speaker 4: Or just give the other team a chance to match it right, like you can do college ot but regular football, like kick it back off to the bills and give them a shot and see what happens. Like even that, in my opinion, is an upgrade over what we're seeing right now, because it's it's just I don't like the idea of forcing overtime and then you could easily just not even get a chance to touch the football on the offensive side of things. I don't really think there's a parallel to that in sports in any other way. There's no other similar type of example where you see that, And I think the baseball metaphor is the best because that's the only other sport where you're on offense slash defense and it's not like is fluid, whereas like soccer, you give the ball back, you get it back, same with basketball. If baseball has that cut and dry, I think football should too. And that's something they got to figure out. And don't forget it used to just be field goal. You kick the field goal, the game was over. Yeah, that was the craziest shit ever. Like that was horrible. So at least it's a little bit better, but yeah, they still they got to fix that. I think they will.
Speaker 2: And just finishing up the recap. On the NFL weekend, the Chiefs were the only favorites to win. The Bengals beat the Titans, the forty nine Ers beat the Packers, and like I said, the best team in football, the Los Angeles Rams beat the greatest of all time and Tom Brady. It's a crazy football weekend but really really exciting, which was good. But what's more exciting. What's more exciting, boys, is the Seattle Mariners to us at least because we're the just baseball show. So I'm excited to play general manager with you. Guys. Any, just quick words before I get into a little bit of introduction about who the Seattle Mariners truly were in twenty twenty one.
Speaker 3: They're good, like they have a chance to be really really good. In twenty twenty two, they missed the boat by a game. Obviously, it went down to the last game of the regular seas and they did it. I think two years before their window should have opened. And now I'm bumping their window up a year, like there is a world where they are a World Series contender this year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, from what about you?
Speaker 4: A fun differential, I'm liking it. I think they've got a shot this year to do some fun things. I could also see it going the other way though, too, So this is one of those teams where I think there's a wide range of outcomes, and I think that's why they're so fun to talk about.
Speaker 2: They are fun to talk about. So let's start at the beginning. On April first, the Mariners open up the twenty twenty one season with a seventy two and a half win projection. Seattle crushed that puny projection, finishing with a ninety and seventy two record just two games out of the second wild card spot. This team finished with a negative fifty one run differential, but the fun differential was off the charts. So were they lucky or were they good? They were both. Ty Franz and Chris Flexen took huge steps forward, but Kyle Lewis didn't really and Jared Kalnick struggled in his rookie campaign. They traded away Kendell Graveman at the trade deadline, and all hopes seemed to be lost in Seattle, even though the team was still eight games over five hundred at the time. They went thirty six and twenty four after the trade deadline, slingshotting themselves into playoff contention and right into the veins of baseball fans everywhere. Fangrafts rated this twenty twenty one Mariners offense as the clutchest of all time. Seattle was America's team in twenty twenty one, But can they be world champions in twenty twenty two? That's what we are here to answer, boys. Straight away. Straight away. We got a lot, a lot of moves to make. We're going over free agency stuff, We're going over trades that they can make this offseason, while also just going over what happened in twenty twenty one. So let's get into it. Boys, Jack, I'm throwing it over to you with your handy Danny whiteboard.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so I'm kind of a hipster. I've got an orange background with a plane blacklaw sleeve T shirt, and I've got an iPad that I take notes on with an apple pencil. So am I am I Jobs?
Speaker 2: Am I?
Speaker 1: Steve Cha?
Speaker 2: I was just about to say, young Steve Jobs with his whiteboard? What did Steve Jobs have back then?
Speaker 3: Like A, well, he didn't have the iPad he made Steve Jobs was the iPad. Yeah, so here's what I got. I got position players on one note sheet with prospects there. I've got pitchers both the starting rotation and the bullpen, with prospects there. I've also got some additions that I want to make. But let's run through like we have in the last couple of weeks, just like what they have right now, a depth chart. Do we want to start on the mound or do we want to start with the bats? Let's start with the bats? Okay, catching position, Tom Murphy is pretty much the everyday catcher right now. Cal Raley is pretty solid. I like Cal Raley, and then Luis Torrenz is a third option here Areum, what do you think about the catcher position here?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean Riley struggled, but I still like him. I still think you can figure it out. I like the bat He's fine defensively Torren's. The big question is is the defense. But that's another iron in the fire. And then, like you said, they've got at least three guys that I think are all borderline regulars that could kind of take it to another level. I think they're more than fine at the catching spot.
Speaker 2: Pete, Yeah, I mean they're all right at the catcher spot. I mean, just overall, before we just get into this offense. They finished twenty second in run scored in twenty twenty one. They finished last in batting average, They finished fifth lowest in war among position players, and twenty seventh in ops. So the numbers didn't look great. But like I said, Fangrafts rated this offense as the clutchest of all time according to their clutch Metric. So at catcher, I would say they're around major league gaverage right now. Arm you'd say, cal rally, you think he can be above major league g average in twenty twenty two or.
Speaker 4: I think he can.
Speaker 2: Man Like.
Speaker 4: It was a bad year for him. I don't think there's any way around it. But I mean, the guy I can really swing it from both sides of the plate. I think he just really was in his own head.
Speaker 3: It was.
Speaker 4: It was one of those things where it just seemed like every rookie that came up kind of struggled out of the gate. I still think Raley will figure it out. It was only one hundred and forty eight played appearances, and I guess we know it takes a lot for guys to get acclimated up there. But what he did in Triple A was crazy. Three twenty four, three seventy seven, six oh eight, hit for power from both sides. I think he's gonna he's gonna be okay. And I love the swing and did the defense there is already at least average, you know, so I think at least in a complimentary role he should be fine.
Speaker 3: So former Mariner bias here, but do you see a little bit of Mike Zanino in the pop department?
Speaker 4: Yeah? Yeah, I mean, like I think he's got a little bit more consistency in terms of like bats of ball, but he can run to baseball. I don't know if he has quite the ability to impact it like Zanino.
Speaker 2: I think he's more like thirty bombs, yes.
Speaker 4: And he knows got some crazy juice. But I mean he did hit twenty two jacks. I know, actually, excuse me, twenty nine jacks back in twenty nineteen. I think most of those came in hig A. But like, this guy can really really swing it through the minor leaks. He showed that he can and again is a switch hitter. He's not getting blown up on either side of the plate. I think it was it was just a tough transition for him, But I think he's going to start to feel it out.
Speaker 3: Zannino had like a hilarious amount of swing and miss when he was in Seattle. I thought it was very funny watching Mike Zanino just like not make contact with anything when he was a Seattle, America.
Speaker 4: I think he was closing his eyes.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was bad. First base Terenz can fill in there, but for the most part it's commandeered by Ty France, who is awesome, and then Evan White, who is Evan White.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he gloved first first baseman.
Speaker 2: Love those guys glove first. I mean the glove is phenomenal, But the thing is ty France could have won a goal glove at first base with his defense this year. Like I don't think there's any need for Evan White. I wonder if Evan White could go play an outfield position. But even if we move him to the outfield, can he hit at all? I mean, I guess what's the point?
Speaker 3: Like is his bat MLB worthy as the big goal?
Speaker 2: I don't don't see anything, do you or them?
Speaker 4: No, But like you gotta find out, right, Like you got to give him a little bit more shot. He might get traded. He might get traded, honestly, I mean, I don't think there's much value there, but we'll get into it. Like the Mariners have a lot of and again, like I really feel bad using like metaphors or like words to describe players, but like they have fat to trim and I hate using that and in a way to describe the team because that's human beings. But like you look at like Taylor Treml, Jake Frayley, there's not room for all of these guys or in front of the lineup but my back. But like you look at you look at that team, like, there's a few guys across the board between beyond that too. You know you're looking at White, those guys are probably complimentary pieces. How about Justice Sheffield. We'll get to him too, But like there's a lot of guys that are like, okay enough, quadruple A type dudes are a little bit better that they could probably move. So so yeah, White's probably just a depth piece right now at this point, right, I mean, it's all he can really be.
Speaker 2: I'd like to give arm a lot of credit for ty France because I think even before Project the Plate was even an idea, before we even you know, got on these phone calls to create just Baseball. Aram was on ty France early and often.
Speaker 4: I was obnoxious about it.
Speaker 2: And Arm he's another one of these prospects that doesn't have a flashy tool. You know, he's not running super hard out of the box at crazy speeds, he's not hitting four hundred and fifty foot home runs. But the guy just hits.
Speaker 4: He just hates. That's why we've coined the ty France effect of any prospect that fits that description that you just mentioned. And yeah, I think he's gonna keep doing it too. I think we can pencil him in for that kind of production next year.
Speaker 2: And on a team that had the lowest batting average as a team. Say what you want about batting average, it still matters in that sense. Howbody hits you get it. As Betty and Betty at bats they had the oh it's at two twenty six, but Ty France to ninety one batting average. Since the guy who could put back to ball, do you think he could win a batting title one day?
Speaker 4: Actually in today's game, dude, I think anyone can win a bat seriously, but I don't think I'll quite get there.
Speaker 3: Unfortunately, anybody but Mike Sanino can win a batting title. Other corner infield spot is somewhere that they need to improve. As of right now, Abraham Toro and Donovan Walton are the two options at third base, and I am saying nay to both of those in a heartbeat.
Speaker 2: Are you saying nay to Abraham Torro?
Speaker 3: I am. He's not on a World Series winner, He's not the starting third baseman.
Speaker 2: I guess there were some things to like. He at least had a he had a decent second half. He just had a really good August. But yeah, I mean he was around one hundred WRC plus. He just didn't slug really at all. That's why his slugging percentage was down as ops was bad. But he was a round league average last year according to WRC plus. But yeah, I don't I just don't think we should give up on Toro yet. I don't think he's that bad of a player, and he can provide a ton of defensive versatility across the field. I know he could play second, you can throw him in a quarter olefield as well as Wall's third base. I bet he could play first in a pinch if Evan White, you know, whatever happens to him, and if ty Franz you know, plays the age, I'm sure he could get thrown over there too. So I wouldn't be so quick to just give up on Toro. Yeah, Toro is.
Speaker 4: Weird because I think in another situation he would make sense. But it's weird to me because the Mariners go get Adam Fraser because I like Toro's batmore at second, I'd be more excited about the idea second base.
Speaker 2: Right. That's hilarious though, to say what over Adam Fraser, considering whatever just was, but like that's it is. It's got a fact though.
Speaker 4: So I look at that infield man, and I'm like, they need slugging from third base. You just talked about their offensive metrics and the guy that was giving them a majority of that slug was Kyle Seger. Now you're replacing Kyle Seger with a bat to ball third baseman, and I just look across that infield, I'm like, they're not going to have a single eight hundred OPS guy outside of Tay France at first base, who has that's a prerequisite for first base. You have to have an eight hundred OPS. So I'm looking at the infield, I'm like JP Crawford glove first, Fraser's bats to ball, and now at third base, you're giving up power too, Like you're gonna have a lot riding on those outfielders, those young outfielders to be able to produce. I want to pick a stick.
Speaker 2: At third That's a good point. I mean, you got to replace thirty five home runs and one hundred RBIs on a.
Speaker 4: Team that that was like the majority of their like sloting, Like, you know, production.
Speaker 3: As it stands right now, you've got Fraser at second JP Crawford at shorten Dylan Moore as the third middle infielder here. So like this infield needs a facelift for sure. Outfield probably does not, because I'm looking at a five deep outfield right now without zero additions and discounting Julio Rodriguez who is waiting in the wings here, as Lewis who comes back from a meniscus tear, Jared Kelnick, Mitch Hanneger, who is a nine hundred ops guy love Hanneger, Love Hanneger. And then you've got Taylor Tremmel and Jake Fraley is the two defensive options in the outfield too, Like they are really really good in the outfield. They're really really good in the outfield. Mitch Hanniger coming off thirty nine bombs and he's thirty one years old, and I was on his Instagram earlier today and he's working out like a fiend. I mean, he's grinding and he feels like kinda he is the face of the Mariners in a way. And Jared Kelnick is one of the best prospects in baseball, was traded in the Robinson Cano deal, and he's surely going to have a good twenty twenty two, But I think the best outfielder is not even on the team yet. Just like you said, Jack, I think Julu Rodriguez will be an All Star very soon and will be a perennial time All Star in his career. I think he's going to be an MVP winner. I think Julio Rodriguez is my personal and I know in just Baseball dot Com we have Bobby Witten, Adlei Rutchman, and then Julio Rodriguez. Me personally, I like Julio at number one.
Speaker 4: What do you think We'll see what the update looks like. It's funny. I had a good conversation that episode's coming out. It will actually be out by the time people are listening to this with a Baseball America's writer, one of the writers, Jeff Ponts, and we spent more time than I thought we would on who number one is? It's splitting Harris, but they went Adlee number one and it was a fun conversation about just that trio that I think people might enjoy for the call up on that podcast. But the other side of it, though, I look at centerfield and that's the question. I love all of their outfielders I concur with everything you guys said, But who the hell's playing centerfield? Yeah, I mean, just just for a little bit of perspective here their center field situation. Last year, Jared Kallenick played seventy five games out there, negative six point four defensive rating for fangrafts, negative sixteen defensive run saved, very bad. Tarya Tremel six or thirty six games out there was about league average. Kyle Lewis, he can't play center anymore at this point, a catastrophic knee injury, a meniscus injury. I think it would be stretching him thin to put him out in center. And then Freiley.
Speaker 2: Is a guy.
Speaker 4: Then you know, he makes the flashy plays, but he's not a defensive center fielder. That's a big question. And you look at what Jerry Depoto said. He said, yeah, I think Kelnic's gonna play some more center field. That's not a priority for us. I take that as posturing because at the end of the day, they were the ones calling up Pittsburgh and saying, what's the deal with Brian Reynolds And they ask him price with Julio Rodriguez, so they hung up. I think centerfield is a priority for them. Maybe it's not the utmost priority. I know they don't want to have Kellenick out there in center if they don't have to. And that's the big question is who's playing center field for this team next year? Because if it's Kelnick, as Depoto says, I mean, they're giving up a lot there in terms of defensive value and one of the most important places defensively in the entire field.
Speaker 3: Just the thought of like Kyle Lewis and left and Kelnick and center, and Julio and right and hanneger is the dah is enough for me, like I can I can give some defense in center field there with with that quartet being the three outfielders in the DH. Do you think Jared Keelnick's a good enough athlete to at least be able to make the move over to center and at least be major league gaverage He can get better. He didn't get better, And I feel like he hasn't played a lot of centerfield in his career right He's mostly been a corner who had to move over and kind of start taking reps in.
Speaker 2: Centerfield center in the miners, mostly played center in the minors, and then came up and wasn't that good and center? You're saying, was he at least better in the miners when he played the position?
Speaker 4: He was okay, it's okay, Yeah, it's funny. I actually looked at I was like, I wonder how much he played in center, Like, going all the way back, he always played center. So here's the problem. I think he put on some weight, I think, but in.
Speaker 2: A good way though.
Speaker 4: It's like good Way, good Way.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but you know no, he's just he's just chubby now, just like out there. So the one thing I do think though, and I am a firm believer in this, is I think he took some of those offensive struggles out there at the center. I mean we see that with young players all the time. I think he can get better, yeah, obviously, So I mean if he gets better, then yeah, you deal with it, right because you're gonna get so much offensive production out of there. But ugh, it was bad. They were the only team in Major League Baseball with a negative f war from center field last year. I know a lot of that was because Countic didn't hit, but I mean a lot of that most of that was the defensive struggles. So it should be interesting.
Speaker 2: It's hard to believe that Jake Failey isn't a good defensive centerfielder because I've never seen a man rob more home runs than.
Speaker 4: Just early now.
Speaker 2: He's a magician. He is a magician. I mean, I think he's the best robber of home runs maybe in baseball.
Speaker 4: That's funny, Okay.
Speaker 3: So here's what I'm thinking. I've got some names that I want to add offensively, but I also have some pitching names here. I think we should go through like because I think it's a quick conversation on the pitching side, and then I think our big splashes are going to come offensively. I think we should go through the starting rotation of the bullpen right now, like, talk about that real quick, and then we can circle back and make some additions to the lineup. You guys, cool with that?
Speaker 2: More than cool with that?
Speaker 3: All right, So let's just jump right back in with the starting rotation here, because they just signed Robbie Ray of five years, one hundred and fifteen million dollars. He is like the number one of a ten deep rotation or a twelve deep rotation. I mean, I'm looking at it right now. Opening day, the starting five probably looks like Ray, Marco Gonzalez, Cris Chris, Flexten, Logan Gilbert, and Justin Dunn. That's a good five. But then you've got who's gonna make their MLB debuts this year George Kirby, Emerson Hancock, Matt Brash. Then you also have Brandon Williamson, who are I know you're really high on, And then I'm kind of still holding him out like a teensy bit of hope on Justice Sheffield, and then Nick mar Gavic's too. Like there are eleven MLB starters right now for the Mariners to choose.
Speaker 2: From, and with Robbie Ray at the top, five years, one hundred and fifteen million to those Seattle Mariners coming up off an al Ciung Award with the Toronto Blue Jays. But there's a lot of debate on whether Robbie Ray is actually good or not, whether he had kind of a lucky twenty twenty one, or if he's actually a good pitcher moving forward. I'm in the boat where I do think Robbie Ray is still an excellent pitcher in this league. Is he a top tier ace? Is he a top ten pitcher in baseball? Probably not? But due to I think that he learned something from Pete Walker, one of the best pitching coaches in baseball with the Toronto Blue Jays. Yes, do I think that he could give you a three four ERA with two hundred and thirty strikeouts in over two hundred innings. I also think that's the case. That's what I think we're gonna see from Robbie Ray. So you hear all this slander about how Robbie Ray's peripherals weren't that great in twenty twenty one, so people are just automatically calling him a bad pitcher. Still, I'm on the boat that's just not the case. He's still gonna be a really good pitcher, maybe just not top ten. Would you agree with that arm.
Speaker 4: Yeah, totally. I mean you look at the peripherals. I would argue that you can offset those peripherals with the fact that he's going from pitching in environments that were terrible, whether it was duddied in or Buffalo or then you know, even at times Toronto, and then going to a place in Seattle, which is one of the more pitcher friendly ballparks in baseball. I think that'll offset some of those peripherals. So I'm not entirely concerned about him taking a huge step back. I think we'll take maybe a small step back naturally. I mean, the guy was one of the best pitchers in baseball last year. And I think the big strength for the Mariners is going to be that no matter what day it is of the week, they're going to have a good chance at a quality start. And I think that's just as important as having two studs at the top, is that when it comes to rotation, I think you're as good as your week as link Like, yeah, you have a guy every fifth day that can give you a win, but if you also have a guy every fifth day that puts you a whole every single game, then you're in trouble. And I think they're not going to have that issue because, as Jack mentioned, every time one of these prospects or young pitchers goes down or falters or whatever, they've got another guy just waiting, just ready to go. It's outrageous. I've never seen anything like it.
Speaker 3: Here's the thing, Like I was just talking to you guys before we started recording, I mean in August, like August one through six. If we're looking at the Mariner schedule right now, and Robbie Ray has to miss three starts or something like maybe he pulls a hammy and he's just like went down to the spring training complex, like stretching that bad boy out using a thera gun on it, and he's going to be back in two weeks. I mean, you could put together a five man rotation of Logan Gilbert, Justin Dunn, George Kirby, Emerson Hancock, and Matt Brash, and I'm gonna want to tune into all five of those games without their ace on the mount.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Absolutely. I mean the prospects are loaded. This system is loaded with some of the best pitching prospects in baseball. And I know Arm could speak to that even more highly than me. I mean, they got cause I was even thinking Arm And you know this is not an MLB the Show simulation, but in actuality, if the Mariners decided to do so, they could package some of the guys, some of the guys in the farm system. I don't think they'd have to even gut the entire thing for a guy like one Soto. So I don't exactly have a trade for one Soto, but just talk about these Mariners prospects, because if we wanted to, we could actually propose a fair trade for one soda.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean they could trade theoretically. I mean, I think they put together a package that nobody in baseball can match. Like, that's the craziest thing is, even unless you're trading from the big leagues, if you put together a minor league package, there's not a team in baseball that could match what the Mariners can give you, because pitching is a premium. Not only are these guys all high upside pitching prospects, they all saw double A last year. Every single last one of those guys you just mentioned saw double A last year, some in varying amounts. And I mean even Brandon Williamson, who's like the afterthought of this conversation, is a guy that actually averaged twelve and a half case for nine innings in Double A as a left So I'm looking at this whole list and I'm like, yeah, you could at some point during the season trade from one of those guys and go get somebody or before that, which we'll talk about, but yeah, I mean, to Peter's point, the fact that they could actually put together a package that, based on market value, which whatever the hell market value would be for Juan Soto, Like if you put it in that godforsaken trade machine, they could match up the trade value I think with the prospects they have, which is just outrageous and kind of explains, you know, what they have going on there. And I know Peter like someone Peter. I think he tailed a decent amount last year. It was like Chris Flexen, Oh yeah, that guy's not bad. Like that's a solid, solid rotation piece for you too. And it's not like he's thirty five having a career like Renaissance. He's still twenty seven, I believe. So like they've got young guys up there too that that are pretty solid.
Speaker 2: So I do really like Chris Flexen. Chris Flexen is another guy who outperformed his peripheral similar to a guy like Robbie Ray. I mean, if we just look at for example, like fit numbers and expected era numbers, I mean, he had a three six one ERA compared to a three eight nine fIF and a four point three zero expected e er. He doesn't strike out that many guys, but he also doesn't walk that many hitters. His stuff isn't elite, but it's above average. I'm super interested to see what I'm going to see from Chris Flexen next year. Like, if I gave you an ERA total of around three six zero, do you think he outperforms that or do you think he underperforms that. Jack's going way over yeah, like in a good way or wait, like lower than No.
Speaker 3: I think he's like a three to nine guy. Oh okay, interesting, Like that's fine, fine, that's a five.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but maybe he is better than that. Maybe he is better than that. Maybe he's a guy who can continue to out perform these peripherals.
Speaker 3: Here's the thing that with the talent that you have waiting in the wings in terms of starting pitching, I'm fine with Chris Flexen at a three to nine and everything he gives me above that is gravy, Like yeah, good, Let's keep running him out there until Kirby and Hancock are ready, because Kirby and Hancock are just better than Chris Flexen, objectively better pictures than Chris Flexen. Here, I again, I do not condone trading for Juan Soto if you're the Seattle Mariners. I like, this is my parental warning, like, do not trade for one Soto. You've got enough here.
Speaker 2: But that's what. Don't trade for Won Soto.
Speaker 3: So if they don't trade, because you gotta gut the ship out of this thing.
Speaker 2: I mean.
Speaker 3: But here's the thing though, Like if we're just hypothetical again, hypothetical, does Noelvie Marte, who's one of the best shortstop prospects in baseball right now, George Kirby and Emerson Hancock, that Trio get it done for Sodo.
Speaker 2: No throwing Matt Williams in trade.
Speaker 4: Maybe I can't even answer that because I don't know what a trade for Juan Sota looks like.
Speaker 3: It doesn't exist.
Speaker 2: It doesn't throw four of the best prospects at baseballttom.
Speaker 4: You're gonna have to gut your whole like some of your top top guys, and then you know what, You're not gonna be able to pay him after. So it's like what you're you're gutting, you know, the future for a couple of years of SOD. And that's the problem is I don't want to give up that years. We're talking about five six years of control with each of these guys for two years of SODO. That that's the struggle.
Speaker 2: At least now that Kevin Mather is out old president and CEO of the Mariners. He's gone after last year, they did commit more money to some of these guys. So maybe now with their payroll near seventy one million dollars, one of the lowest in baseball new ownership, maybe they think to themselves, you know what, maybe we should give one so five hundred million dollars of fifteen years. No, that's not that's not actually going to happen. But talking about another guy that starting rotation, Logan Gilbert, who you know, his era was four to sixty one, but his peripherals were much better. He looked actually like a much better pitcher than what his era said. He had a three seven three FIP and a four point h nine expected era. Jack, would you rather have Logan Gilbert or Chris Flexen in your rotation? I'd rather have Gilbows.
Speaker 3: I'd rather have Logan Gilbert.
Speaker 2: You'd rather have looking Gilbert to.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, I think Gilbert's got like number two upside, probably closer to a number three. But he figured it out down the stretch, had a really good final six starts of the season. The command's good. He's figured out a way to make the fastball play. I think he's gonna be I think he's gonna be a really solid pitcher for them. And another guy that I mean, he's He's probably closer in the middle of the rotation, but I love what he's got going on. And a high floor guy that still has some upside.
Speaker 2: You taking Kucci is now gone, that's something interesting. But they don't need him at all. But he's a guy who at a four four one era wasn't that great last year, even his peripherals were even worse. But you know, they're losing him. I don't really have a point there, just more like, you know, that's someone that they're losing. It's someone who's been a baroner for a while. Now.
Speaker 3: Can we just note that you're big into the peripherals right now. I'm telling you again, get your head out of the Excel sheet.
Speaker 2: I'm just look, I'm talking, I'm looking.
Speaker 3: We're talking baseball, you know, Spare me, all right, Let's talk about the bullpen here before we jump back into what they need to add hitting wise, because this bullpen is sneaky, kind of awesome They've got. I'm gonna run through these guys real quick. Drew stecken Ryder, former Miami Marlin arm can speak to him. Plus fastball. He's got a miss slider, but he's got a good change up to Casey Sadler, who is cutter, dominant, but a stupid curveball. That thing is nasty. Paul Sewald who had a forty k rate, a seven percent walk rate in a sub one whip, who was pretty awesome. Diego Castillo who had a sub one whip in fifty eight innings this year across his time with Tampa and Seattle, Andres Munos is coming back from injury. Muno sits one hundred with his fastball, and then Ken Giles is coming back from injury, and Ken Giles not too long ago was like the best slider pitcher out of the bullpen in baseball. I mean, they've got serious depth here. Problem is they're all right handed.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, yeah, they had a lefty.
Speaker 4: The craziest part is, you know we just talked about I was talking about the Padres prospects. Ray Kerr, the guy that they actually sent over to San Diego in that Adam Fraser deal, is a lefty who throws one hundred with a wipeout breaking ball that would have fit really nicely in there. So the fact that they were really willing to trade Ray Kerr, who I think you know, will be in the big leagues right away for the Padres, it tells me that they've got something up their sleeves, whether they're going to you know, sign a free agent there's still so many free agent lefties out there, or or you know, maybe going to just make another upper minor league level trade. I think they'll satisfy that part. But Munios is someone that doesn't get enough attention. Came over in that trade from the Padres in with ty France, and Munios is somebody that they really believe, and I think they gave him a four year deal off of an injury where he only threw two thirds of an inning last year. He's going to be a legit, dude. I wouldn't be shocked if he's the closer in a couple of years for them.
Speaker 2: And Anthony Musavitch is another lefty in their pen who through fifty four innings he was pretty good, not great. It's solid, and I feel like he'll at least contribute as a left handed reliever. But I agree Jack, they there's an arm. There's plenty of free agents out there, and you're already you're already grinning there because you know a couple of lefty free agents that they should go grab.
Speaker 3: All right, I'm gonna go. I'm gonna go least sexy to most sexy names. And sexy doesn't mean best fit. I think sexy just means like it's gonna produce the most intense reaction from you guys. So I'm gonna go, you know, most subdued reaction to most like fuck you get out of my face, or let's do it reaction.
Speaker 1: Cool.
Speaker 3: Right, Let's start at the bottom with Daniel Norris. Are you interested in Daniel Norris at all?
Speaker 4: Then?
Speaker 2: Daniel Norris live in a van? Yes? That particularly. No, I'm not interested in Daniel Norris that much.
Speaker 3: Okay, fair because of the van. It sounds like because of the van.
Speaker 2: No, not because of the van thing, just you know, connecting dots in my bad he lives.
Speaker 3: No, it sounds like you don't like the van thing, all right? Moving on, Jake Jake's anti van. Are you anti Jake Deegman?
Speaker 2: No, not even a little bit. No, Jake Deemon, Yes, I like that name.
Speaker 3: Arham you look anti Jake Deepon, like, sure, okay, a little bit more sexy reaction here, Brad Hand.
Speaker 4: No, he was pretty bad last year, man, but like he's not this guy. But this isn't like an important role, like this is just the lefty for them.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I'm in.
Speaker 4: I'm in.
Speaker 2: On hand Hand's gonna be like weirdly expensive, though, I feel like still maybe just.
Speaker 4: Because it's value and he can kick rocks. But if he knows that he's not worth that much anymore, and then yeah, I'm in.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 3: How about Andrew Chaffin, Yeah, much better.
Speaker 2: It's not perfect, yeah, perfect veteran lefty mustache. Give it to me now, my pick?
Speaker 4: All right, I know who this is.
Speaker 3: Andrew Miller.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, no, thank you.
Speaker 4: He's given to me.
Speaker 3: Give them to me.
Speaker 2: What do you want from Andrew Miller anymore? Eighty nine with just the slider. They know that's coming that he can't throw for a strike anymore.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I want Miller in hopes of ringing the last bit out of the towel. I also want him for this insane veteran presence that is needed on this team because we talk about how much young talent there is here, where's the veteran presence now that Kyle Seger's gone.
Speaker 2: I'd rather have Jake Deekman than Andrew Miller.
Speaker 3: But Miller has won thing. Steekman has never won anything. Chafen one things, Chaffin's one thinks no, never.
Speaker 4: Don't think he's anything.
Speaker 3: Andrew Miller was the guy on a team that was like an inning away from going to the World Series or from winning the World Series.
Speaker 2: But does a back end reliever who's not going to contribute much on the field, is he that winning guy that will dispel the Donnas Haslam? That's what I'm saying you. You don't need to sign.
Speaker 4: Much like Haslam and pitched to lefties a little bit.
Speaker 3: But I see not looking for Bam out of bio. I'm wking for you, Donnis Haslam.
Speaker 2: I see what you're saying, Jack, because and that's just to point out how good this Mariner's bullpen is currently. I mean, you've named all the guys. I think according to f Ward, they were the sixth best bullpen in baseball. According to that stat they were a really good bullpen. So they just need a little bit of tinkering here and there. So I understand what you're saying with the veteran presence with Andrew Miller, But I just feel like there's plenty of other guys that provide that same presence. Maybe they haven't won championships, but they still can provide that spark that they need.
Speaker 3: So we agree that Chafin is option one, and then everybody else can go kick sand.
Speaker 2: I think Jack Deekman's a good option. I like that one. I don't know why we're throwing that one to the wayside.
Speaker 3: Well, I think Daniel Norris is a good option because I like the Van thing.
Speaker 2: Peter, all right, Well, good for you. I like the Van thing too.
Speaker 3: All right, Anti Dorris, let's transition back to the bats, and I just have one quick question for you guys, because Seattle going into twenty twenty two is one of nine teams with north of one hundred million dollars of luxury tax base to work with. They've got one hundred and six if I'm not mistaken million to work with before they hit the penalty. They're not going to get anywhere close to that. But are you team trade or are you team by start with arm?
Speaker 4: I mean, obviously the answer is always if. If it's about the money for them and like they're okay spending a little bit more. I know, I look at third base and it's a challenge right to address that position outside of Matt Chapman. And if we're talking about attainable realistic trades, how many other third base candidates are They're really out there. Josh Donaldson, Josh Donaldson's a potential guy as well, but I think the Twins may actually try to try to keep him and just see what happens.
Speaker 2: Is why.
Speaker 4: But if it's not Donaldson or Chapman, I think you gotta go and make a signing. Which I'm not going to steal your thunder jacause I know I know who you want for them to go sign, but I think that makes the most sense probably is go make a signing if you can't. If you can't, go get Matt Chapman. I'm marvel at the thought of just Matt Chapman and JP Crawford on the left side of an infield together. That would be a lot of fun. And I think Chapman would give you very similar type of production to what you got from Seger last year, which is low batting average, a lot of power, but with better defense, and I think probably a little bit more room offensively to produce.
Speaker 3: Peter, you team by or team trade.
Speaker 2: I'm team by. You look at the payroll and I know that you know they're not a team that has the propensity to spend a bunch of money. But can you finally once you see the team at ninety and seventy two with the farm system that they're cooking up, is it finally time to sign that big free agent? And Jack, I'm teeing you up right now because I know Mariners fans are probably clamoring for Jose Ramirez trade proposal, and the Mariners could do it, but we've spoken about this before. We don't think the Guardians will sell, and we kind of don't think that they should sell either. So I know oaking round about Wuan Soto trade rumors, and I'm sure we could just throw out random rumor mill trades, because you know, I love to do that, just out of nowhere. Just get the rumor milk cooking. I like the hot stove, but it doesn't I don't think that the Mariners would get Jose Ramirez, So I just I don't think it's worth going over.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I hear you I like the Chapman idea for trading. I'll get to the signing in a moment. I like the Chapman idea. If you're gonna go trade, I want to throw another name to you in the trade market that I think is probably worth a little bit less than Chapman, who can also be good here, and that's Jamer Candelario. Does that name do anything for you, guys? Candelario is a one nineteen WRC plus guy. He's got two more years of control. He had a three point two war.
Speaker 4: No, I love him. I just don't think he's available.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's an extra base hit guy in Detroit, where the park is huge. I wonder if he went to a better ballpark if some of those doubles could end up being home runs.
Speaker 4: I think they're trying to win.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I agree.
Speaker 4: I don't think they're gonna do it, but I think they're trying. So I've been Candelario. I love him. I would love that as a fit me too. Don't think the Tigers would do it.
Speaker 2: Are they?
Speaker 3: Are they entirely in Detroit? Are they entirely gone on East sac Parades?
Speaker 4: I don't love them. I don't love them.
Speaker 3: Did they because they did.
Speaker 4: I don't think they love them that much.
Speaker 3: Peter, do you like Esac Preadis at all?
Speaker 2: Not? Particularly?
Speaker 3: What if they want Torque to play third base? Like, do you keep Candelario?
Speaker 2: Are they gonna want Spencer Torksen to play third?
Speaker 3: They want him to play third?
Speaker 4: Yeah, they want. Yeah, I want to fly too, but like it's just not an option. I think he's stuck it first. Personally, Yeah, I hear you, all right. I think the Seattle Mariners should go sign Chris Bryant. YEP, I really do. Chris Bryant is a Swiss army knife. If you need somebody to play center, chances are Chris Bryant is gonna be your best option in center field. If Kelnick is playing poorly. Chris Bryant has played solid center for the San Francisco Giants down the stretch. Chris Bryant immediately solves your problem at third base. This guy had a one twenty three WRC plus last year. I mean he had what three six war hit two sixty five with a three fifty three OBP.
Speaker 3: This guy is durable as shit too. I mean I'm looking back to twenty fifteen, his rookie year, his game totals one fifty one, one fifty five, one fifty one, one oh two, and twenty eighteen was an outlier. He was dealing with some stuff. Then twenty nineteen back to one forty seven, and then in twenty twenty one, one hundred and forty four games. He's gonna play all the time for you. He's striking out a lot less than he ever has. He's walking near a career high clip. I mean, Chris Bryant is your better batting average, same amount of power, can be a run producer and defensive versatility. And you know what, I know he's a Boris guy. I know it's Chris Bryant. I don't think he's gonna be that expensive. I think you're handing out another Robbie Ray deal and we can clean up. Say that's it. Mariners are one of my World Series favorites.
Speaker 2: I have a question for the both of you. We've done a lot of this GMS episode. You know, we've done the Padres, the Reds, other teams. Now I'm forgetting is has there been a better free agency fit than Chris Bryant to the Mariners that we've talked about. I think it's like a glove. How good of a fit Chris Bryant fits with the Mariners.
Speaker 4: Oh, I totally agree, And I to answer your question, no, I don't think there is a better fit because literally, like you have someone now that actually could play center in a pinch too, which is it's just crazy, but being able to play all over the dime and the versatility was something that Topoto really wanted when they were looking at him in the trade deadline. The Mariners were reportedly the team that was the closest to getting him besides the Giants. And you know, I think that says a lot. I think that kind of shows you that the interest is there. And I bet they make an offer. I bet they. I bet they make an offer. I don't know if it's going to be the best offer, but I bet they do. And I think that changes everything for them. Their lineup instantly becomes better.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 4: There they have that versatility, and yeah, it's an upgrade Overseeker from last year. And so your lineups getting better in other ways naturally, and now you upgraded third base. This would change a lot. Just one move I think could make move the needle a lot for this team.
Speaker 3: You've got that world series winning presence too. I mean, we talk about veteran presence. Is screw the Andrew Miller Think.
Speaker 2: He signed Chris Bryan Andrew Miller immediately becomes expendable.
Speaker 3: Yeah, oh yeah, and he's not even on the team yet and he's expendable.
Speaker 2: Just get one other guys, what a world series title? Well? Now, why why even signed Edrew Miller?
Speaker 3: I don't think you have to.
Speaker 4: It's one or the other.
Speaker 3: Yes, it's one of the other. What if that was like, ah, ship, we just signed Andrew Miller. We can't sign Chris Bryant.
Speaker 2: Now we're not interested to Poto comes out with that report or to bargers fans, could you imagine, Oh.
Speaker 3: God, I mean, they'd kill him. They'd tell him he's playing fantasy baseball again.
Speaker 2: And it's funny just going back to the starting rotation because we didn't really add anything over trades or you know, through free agency, and yet this team finished with the sixteenth best era in baseball as a staff. But they're just so freaking loaded. I don't do we have to do anything to the starting rotation. I would think maybe you add a fifth starter, because I mean, how good actually is justin done but no, I give Justin Dunne a chance.
Speaker 3: You know, I think Dune's a better I mean, like, think about it. You can go as I click back to my starting pitcher sheet on the iPad here. I mean, like, in reality, you can have Rey Gonzalez, Flexen, Gilbert Dunn, Kirby Hancock, and Brash. That's nine guys.
Speaker 2: Does any rotation in baseball? Is there anything deeper? Any team that has more than nine of those kind of guys in all of baseball?
Speaker 3: I don't think so. So it's not the best, like there is not. Robbie Ray is the worst of the aces. I think, Like I'm still kind of a Robbie Ray hater because I got to see him do it again. But like Robbie Ray is the worst of the elite pitchers cy Young caliber, Like I'm taking Robbie Ray last in the fantasy draft of cy Young caliber pitchers. But like, if Ray does it again, boom, You've got your ace and then you've got so many pieces that could be phenomenal, Like the potential to be phenomenal is through the roof here. So like, yes, not the best staff in the division, in the American League by any stretch. But I think in two years we could be having the conversation that the Mariners have one of the best stabs in baseball because that is how good the prospects are.
Speaker 2: Can we do something really fun? Yeah? Can we rank like Flexen and Gilbert and Brash and Kirby and and Cock and just kind of see where they stack up against their prospects. And I mean, ar, you're the per person to throw that to first, you know you got I mean, let's just go through them again quickly. George Kirby, Emerson, Hancock, Matt Brash, Brennan Williamson, Logan, Gilbert, and Chris Flexen. Am I living in road? Justin Dunn in there too. I think Justin Dunn would be last. But that's just me in that rank like next year, No, just like I guess the pictures that you like the most moving forward, Maybe not just twenty twenty two, because these guys are rookies, but I to give I guess us and Mariners fans and anyone else listening kind of to see where their prospects rank up with their current MLB talent.
Speaker 3: Yeah, all right, all right, I've got seven.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Question that is I know what a loaded question. But it's a one, and I feel like it's important. Kirby, Kirby number one, brash. Wow, yeah yeah, Brash. Then m Gilbert is Gilbert in here? Yeah?
Speaker 4: Gilbert or Hancock. I'll go Hancock Williamson.
Speaker 2: So so we went Gilbert three, Gilbert's three, and Hancock's four.
Speaker 3: Oh wait, no, Gilbert is not even off the board.
Speaker 4: Yet Williamson Gilbert.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 4: Then I'm gonna go Justin Dunn. Then Flexen. Did I miss.
Speaker 2: Somebody you like done better than Flexen?
Speaker 4: Yeah? If he's healthy, I like done better than Flexin.
Speaker 2: That makes me so sad, not just it is because I trust you on that, and I love Chris Flexen and I watch both of them, and I just I think I see Chris Flexen as a better picture. But you know, maybe Justin Dunn can be better. I don't know. I guess. You know, sometimes my betting gets in the way because I'm just tailing Chris Flexen when he's undervalued according to Vegas, and he just continues to win game it a game out, I'm like, what are you missing here? Same thing with Cal Quantrill of the Guardians. Yeah, they just went. They just figure out ways to put their teams in positions to win, they all game.
Speaker 4: I think Flexen and Don are the biggest toss up in the world.
Speaker 5: Personally, Yes, I guess all right, I've got Kirby one, Hancock two, Gilbert three, Brash four, Williamson five Done, six flex and seven.
Speaker 2: Flex and seven.
Speaker 3: But who's he better than on that list?
Speaker 2: I think I think Flexen is better than Done. I guess I would still put Chris Flexen above Brendan Williamson. But maybe that's just me. So let me do mine. So I would go George Kirby one. I would go Brash too. I would go Hancock three. I would go Gilbert four, flex and five, Williamson six Done, seven, nick Mark gavic Is eight. Nick Mark gavage Is eight.
Speaker 3: Eighty eight with the fastball from the left side should change up.
Speaker 2: Though. What that should go to show is that although Logan Gilbert and Chris Flexen have already made their MLB impact and of our and already look at least at the bottom between a two or a four in a good rotation, you have three, four, five guys waiting that are all arguably better. This is what the Seattle Mariners have to look forward to in twenty twenty two and beyond. Do you think any of those guys are gonna make an impact in twenty twenty two, not just pitch, but make a legitimate impact. And who's going to be those those guys, all of them with the exception of Williamson.
Speaker 4: Yeah, really, I think Williamson's the one that threw the most innings in double A last year, ironically, and I think could come in into some sort of lefty reliever roll down the stretch. Worst case, I think Hancock is the least likely to chip in next year. I think he's the furthest away and still will get pulverized if he gets called up too early. The fastball just isn't there yet. Brash could be in a big league bullpen right now. They were talking about calling him up at the end of the year last year. Kirby has seventy five grade eighty grade command of a fastball that's ninety nine miles per hour. Kirby's the guy that's going to help the most. I think right away, as long as he's healthy, then I'd probably go Brash in some sort of of way. However, he's deployed out there. Those two guys I think are one and two in terms of who's going.
Speaker 2: To help me.
Speaker 3: Okay, so when Kirby comes up, I think Kirby immediately enters the Alec Manoa conversation where we're talking about, like, best young pitcher in baseball?
Speaker 2: Who does George Kirby remind you, guys of currently does because he doesn't really remind me of Alec Minoa. But I think what you were saying, Jack is not that he reminds you of Alec and no, but that he can provide that type of impact once he comes up to the big leagues.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and people are gonna watch him and like not be able to see enough George Kirby. Like George Kirby is gonna be. He's gonna be like the top pitching vote getter for Rookie of the Year either league.
Speaker 2: Does George Kirby remind you a little bit of Zach Wheeler per chance.
Speaker 3: A little bit, but the command's better, Like we haven't seen command from a prospect like this.
Speaker 2: Armed can you tell the story of George Kirby, Because George Kirby is is not a guy who went drafted. Was this immediate can't miss pitching prospect, But then he'd just start throwing harder and harder, and he and the location, the command never left, but he just started getting up there from ninety to ninety two and now he's throwing ninety nine miles an hour. The story of Kirby is honestly kind of incredible.
Speaker 3: Arm One quick thing before you answer this about Kirby, I do just want to point out his junior year at Elon when he went in the first round eighty eight and the third innings one hundred and seven punch outs, six walks, dude one oh seven to six. His junior year at Elon, So we always had the command, But how has this stuff progressed?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean the command is outrageous. And that was that kind of what got him into the Cape. You know, he was he was a closer for the most part in the Cape, which is wild too. Where out there twenty four k's one walk. So it was the same trend throughout throughout that entire collegiate career. But then he gets to Seattle, or not necessarily Seattle, but he gets to their organization and starts throwing ninety eight ninety nine and then up to one hundred and so the command didn't go to the wayside though, so you had the same elite command with ninety eight ninety nine one hour fastballs. The big issue with him, and not even issues, just the one question is the quality of the secondaries. But he commands them well. He's starting to show a better feel for the change up. The curveball and slider are good enough. I mean, when you have the baseline of that fastball, it's it's pretty easy to at least be decent. So I think, you know, he's in great shape. But his story too, I mean, is not really the most recruited guy in the world, had a pretty iffy freshman year and then just really put it together beyond that. And it took a team like the Mariners to see him and say, Okay, we can develop this guy. And this is yet another dude where it's it's you have the pitch ability and then you take the stuff to the next level. And that's exactly what they did with Kirby. I think the secondary stuff is going to keep getting better and better. This guy's got such a high floor without the compromising of his ceiling. It's so exciting.
Speaker 2: So what do you guys think about my Zach Wheeler comparison to George Kirby a little bit.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm telling you better commands.
Speaker 4: I don't think that's bad at all, though.
Speaker 3: No, it's pretty solid. Hey, real quick, areum? You and I have a mutual friend, Tim Leonard, who does great college basketball stuff. But Tim was my partner out on the Cape with the Brewster Whitecaps calling games, and there were two players out there that fully captivated our attention, like this is a major league baseball player. Like we took the headset off between innings and we're like, oh my god, what just happened. Spencer Torkelsen hit two of the loudest home runs that I've ever seen and ever heard, and then George Kirby closed a game out in Brewster. We ended the broadcast, took the headsets off, and Tim turned to me and was like, that's a major league baseball pitcher if I've ever seen one, Like, and this was before a hundred like Kirby just he looked the part. I was like, oh my god, this guy is so freaking good at baseball.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, that's the best way to sum it up. And I think he's continued to back that up throughout the minor leagues. If the secondaries just are even above average, he's in business. I mean I was watching his starts. The way he can put the fastball on either side of the plate, the way he commands it, He's gonna be damn good. And I think he's he's pretty much close to ready. Even with the secondaries being big league caliber, he'll be able to be successful at that heater.
Speaker 2: And Matt Brash looks like Freddy Peralta with the fastball slider combo. I mean, he's another guy who could be in ace potentially in this league. And not enough people are talking about Matt Brash.
Speaker 4: No, and Brash is a guy we talked about way back right, And I mean that that breaking ball, it's like a power curve, slurvy type pitch. It's disgusting. It's gonna have that same kind of Freddy Peralta ridiculous numbers. The fastball is insane, and he needs to find a feel for the changeup, but has shown some ability at times. But like Peralta, he doesn't need Paralta doesn't need the third pitch really that often. He just needs to sprinkle it in rarely to really take himself to where he needs to be consistency wise. I think Brash is right in that same boat, and I think he can do the same type of thing right out of the gate. I think he can be that dominant as long as he throws strikes. And I thought the command got better as the year went on.
Speaker 3: Okay, one more question on the Mariners. If they make zero additions, no Chris Bryant, know anybody, and Pakoda sets their win projection at ninety are you taking the over or under?
Speaker 2: That's just lofty. And if they don't do anything else, like they need to address this offense, they need to address their base. Like I said, I like Toro, but I agree with you guys that if you guys want to win ninety games, it'd be a perennial you know, wild card team, playoff team like this. This infield as currently constructed, I don't think is going to do it. And you're relying a lot on the Julio Rodriguez of the world, who I love, but a lot of these young guys to make their leaps immediately when maybe it might take them a year. That's why the Chris Bryant signing has to happen, because that changes the fabric of this team, not only from just a third base, not only from a slugging profile, but just because you said it before, his his Swiss Army knife abilities, the fact that he can go play center. He can fill in the holes that the Mariners have, and you're filling it in with Chris Bryant. So I would go under if.
Speaker 3: They if they add Chris Brian, give me a win total, you first, Pete, you can go first there, just KB. If they just add KB and Chaffin and.
Speaker 4: Chan, I put it right in ninety. Yeah, put it right in ninety. I think ninety give or take a couple, and that that could be what puts them in or takes them out. I think, you know, at the end of the day, they are forced to rely on the young guys. And as Peter said, I mean, if if you can hedge some of that and take a little bit of that off of those young guys, that's important. But at the end of the day, you're gonna have to rely on some young pitchers, You're gonna have to rely on some young outfielders, and you know that can go any any which way. And I think that's a really important thing to to monitors I mean, if if Julio struggles a little bit, or if Kelnick doesn't quite parlay that fantastic final month, if Kyle Lewis is just not quite healthy, there's a lot to be to be answered there. But on the flip side, those guys look like they're taking the steps in the right direction. They look like they're in a good spot. You're adding Julio to this team, You're adding Kyle Lewis to this team, who barely played last year and was the Rookie of the Year. So there's a lot of reason to be optimistic as well, because even if he's just thching, you're getting a big bat in Kyle Lewis back in the fold there for you. I think ninety wins is attainable because I think they overperformed in some ways last year, and you know, the clutch thing. I think that that has a little bit of luck built in, right, so you got to kind of find that balance, and I don't think you can come up big every single time in a clutch situation and count on that. So I think they're going to get better and be right around the same spot where they were last year on gems of wins.
Speaker 2: I think they're an eighty five ish eighty six win team without adding KB or Chaffin. But let's go over the roster again, with all those completions in there, what we think the twenty twenty two Mariners roster should look like with our additions, and then I'll tell you whether I think they could win ninety games.
Speaker 3: Okay, So catcher, Murph Raleigh and Torents the first, France and Evan White, Second, Adam Fraser and Dylan Moore. Short, JP Crawford with Dylan Moore as the filler, third, Chris Bryant, Abraham Toro, Left, Kyle Lewis, let's say, center, Jared Keelnick let's say with Jake Frayley as the backup right, Mitch Hanneger, Taylor Tremmel as the fifth outfielder if you're counting Freley as the fourth. Starting pitching Robbie Ray, Marco Gonzalez, Chris Flexen, Logan Gilbert, Justin Dunn with George Kirby, Emerson Hancock, Matt Brash, Justice Sheffield, Brandon Williamson waiting in the wings the bullpen Andrew Chaffin, who we're adding, Drew Steckenrider Casey Stadler, Paul Sewell, Diego Castillo, Andres Munos, Ken Giles.
Speaker 4: That's a great bullpen.
Speaker 2: That's a great bullpen.
Speaker 3: That's a great team.
Speaker 2: That team, that team wins ninety games twenty twenty three, they might win one hundred and sixty two games. Yeah, like, yeah, you're really twenty twenty three is going to be insane for the Seattle left out Julio and we left out Julio Reguez No exactly. I thought you left out Julio on purpose, just to say, like, what twenty twenty three is gonna look like? Yeah, like Julio's gonna be there.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think he's gonna be there in like three weeks into the season, so you know, And I think then Kyle Lewis goes to DH and you probably split hanneger And and Lewis with the DH outfield time. That's crazy, that's crazy. I love that. One other move I would love to see them make, though, to be honest, I would love to trade one of those Freiley Tremel, one of those guys for a defensive minded Brett Phillips type fourth outfielder. So just in case late in ball games, you can go throw a defensive stud out there in center.
Speaker 3: You've got it with Freiley.
Speaker 4: No, he's not a center field he's not a plus center fielder.
Speaker 3: He's not Rob's bombs.
Speaker 2: Yes, that's great.
Speaker 4: He's flashy. That's great. They need a fourth outfielder that's like a wizard defensively, a Jake morrisnik type. Maybe they can go get Christianistic.
Speaker 2: If you squint a little bit, he kind of looks like Harrison Vader if you squint to Jake Freyley.
Speaker 4: But you understand, like Mauristmik serves a purpose. He serves a purpose. Poor outfielder, what purpose does he serve? With the padres and the astros, Like you need afford the fielder, like it's good defense matters.
Speaker 2: It does, especially in the outfield. You want to turn those doubles and outs.
Speaker 4: Yes, Brett Phillips.
Speaker 2: Brett Phillips, I could see. Brett Phillips s.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I care about the things that maybe most people don't care about.
Speaker 2: Brett Phillips bumps up the fun differential for sure, But Jake losing him dampers the fun differential. So you gotta you gotta your give and take.
Speaker 4: There, So trade Trammel. He's so boring.
Speaker 2: He doesn't do anything for the fund differential. That's for me.
Speaker 3: No, do you guys, I like Trauell I to stop moving. I want him to stop apartment hunting.
Speaker 4: Yes, I know, I do. I don't want to trade it. I feel bad for him at this point. The guy's been passed around. It's it's it's Unfortunately.
Speaker 2: The Marlins would love Taylor Tremont feels like a perfect Martlin.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they'll think, yeah, I'll fit right in.
Speaker 3: We should end the pod with that.
Speaker 4: Yeah more than oh no, not thank you.
Speaker 2: Everybody. First, go get your just Baseball merch people. It's in the episode description of this podcast. I'm rocking up Just Baseball t shirt. We also have not gambling Advice merch hoodies. It's still freezing cold outside. Get you just Baseball hoodie. Also check out arms podcast to Call Up Now on the Just Baseball network as well. He's going over all the prospects. He's gonna do a Seattle Mariners prospect episode, right even though we kind of don't, just because it's so freaking exciting.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, oh yeah, I can't wait.
Speaker 2: I can't wait. That's just some so fun system is so fun. So we're gonna have write ups as well about these Seattle Mariners on Just Baseball dot com and we're gonna have another episode later. You know, we got to interview somebody from the Mariners. We got to see if any of these moves make sense. I mean, who would say no to Chris Bryant on the Mariner Maybe Jeppoto might be Jerry Depoto, the GM of this this Mariners, might be the only person to say no to Chris brand because he doesn't want to spend any money, but we want him to spend money.
Speaker 3: I like shortening it to Jepoto.
Speaker 2: And go also give us a follow on TikTok and Instagram at Just Baseball Fans, anything else before we end the pod.
Speaker 3: Boys Nope, So I got well with that.
Speaker 2: Thank you everybody,