Speaker 1: From Futro Media and pr X. It's Latino USA. I'm Marieojosa Today. The band Making Movies, Making Movies is a band based out of Kansas City, Missouri that mixes rock with tropical Latin music. Like SISA the US, The group is based in Kansas City, but its members have roots in Panama and Mexico. Their sophomore album, I Am Another Youth features a fusion of electric guitar, mambo rhythms, and operatic vocals, and the album reached the ears of iconic Panamanian musician Ruben Blade, which is by the way the way he pronounces his name, and this led to Ruben Blades giving them a shout out at the twenty seventeen Latin Grammys.
Speaker 2: I'm Making Movies.
Speaker 1: Spinning out and they recently collaborated with Ruben Blades to put out a song called Noe Kays. We spoke with the band in twenty nineteen and we're happy to bring them back to you today. Listen as members Enrique Chi and Juan Carlos Chao Dan talk about one of the band's most ambitious tracks on their album I'm Another You. The song is called Lo Gura Collectiva.
Speaker 3: My name is Wan Carlos Chao Dan and I played percussion and keyboards for Making Movies.
Speaker 4: My name is Enrique Chi and I am the guitar player and singer of the band and also the songwriter. I was born in Santiagopanama, and I fell in love with rock and roll music first. And I really rejected Latin music as a little kid because I wanted to play the guitar like my dad. After like becoming an adult and realizing I'm an immigrant in the United States, the longing to reconnect to the Latina roots became.
Speaker 2: Bigger and bigger every year.
Speaker 4: So he collected a bunch of vinyls and that was my introduction to music.
Speaker 2: He had all these dire straits albums and one of them is called Making.
Speaker 4: Movies, and I thought, well, that would actually be kind of a cool band name.
Speaker 5: I love Struggle Romeo seeing the streets of Sereni.
Speaker 4: It harkens back to the time period of loving rock and roll before I spoke English.
Speaker 5: Love so that he made.
Speaker 4: Music can communicate even through a language barrier. Album is called I Am Another You.
Speaker 3: The name of this track is.
Speaker 4: My grandma and I were watching the news and she's this kind of like very protesting poetic woman, and my grandma goes, which means collective insanity.
Speaker 2: I thought, oh my god, there's a song and that.
Speaker 3: I think it always brings into the ideas and the blueprint, I guess you could say. And we just start to structure it little by little.
Speaker 4: And I actually had this riff lying around that I thought could marry to that, and the riff I don't know if you know this, but I.
Speaker 2: Stole the riff from you.
Speaker 4: You've been playing on a piano. Montuno is like it's the part of the piano break in a SASA song. It gets everybody to get up and dance. And then I changed the key and I moved it to more guitar friendly places, and I simplified it down to like damn day damp damn to make it like if if led zep One had played your piano part.
Speaker 3: Or something, and so hearing a little bit of the mon it kind of already took me to more of like a mumbo rhythm and we ran with it.
Speaker 4: Our band doesn't have a horn section, and a lot of Latin music, the high energy moments come from a horn riff. I think of Willie Colan's like many of his signature horn riffs that intro songs.
Speaker 2: So to do that on the guitar, you.
Speaker 4: Kind of need to run it through a bunch of crazy effects, like the fuzz that Keith Rich's on Satisfaction. That fuzz sound was advertised in the sixties is like, make your guitar sound like a horn. It kind of pictured the story in my head once I knew what I wanted to say. The lyrics did all come together in one sitting. Something has happened and the world has come to an end, and so what would you feel like? And then you run into an old man, You say, what do you think now we have a few moments left to live? The old man despised. I just kept praying that nothing would ever change. And to me, that's like the human fear of change is inevitable, but yet people feared.
Speaker 2: The song goes into outer space.
Speaker 4: The same and that's when the story says, well, God, what do you think of that? What do you think seeing us like this, you know, at war with each other, at the end of our road as human beings.
Speaker 2: That does sound kind of like the end of the world. By the time you get to the outrail.
Speaker 3: So that rhythm that we go towards the end that we break into, I just heard it automatically. It was just like, I think we should add some about that rhythms. I don't think my kungas are just enough for it.
Speaker 4: About that, you can't one person can't properly play it.
Speaker 2: It has to be a group.
Speaker 3: With three different people. And it's a very Yoduba centric which is the santaria rhythms in Kuba.
Speaker 4: And those rhythms technically you're not really supposed to mess with them unless you are initiated in the religion.
Speaker 3: So for us it was a learning curve for me especially, and it was one of those inspiring and it was a moving moment in the song.
Speaker 4: So we're going back towards the root of all Latino music and all even American music.
Speaker 2: But this record had a.
Speaker 4: Bunch of challenges before we were able to put it into the world. We made it four years ago. We would hire and fire people and then like files kept getting lost. Then we finish it and we're waiting sitting on it to be mastered in our record label that we'd signed to seem to have lost interest. There was a considerable time where I thought we had messed with the wrong juju.
Speaker 2: We cursed ourselves, Yeah.
Speaker 4: By you playing the bata and not being initiated to Santa Rie, or maybe by me cursing God for the state of mankind. Maybe I was accidentally whipped up a curse or you whipped up a curse upon our record. For a while I was worried, and this song was probably the cool print. We've made it through now and we seem to be all right.
Speaker 1: That was Enrique Chi and Juan Carlos Chagan from Making Movies. And just before we go, dear listener, a special treat for you. The members of Making Movies stop by the Latino USA offices and played a live session of one of their songs, Spinning Out. So we leave you with the band Making Movies playing live in our offices. This episode was produced by Gini Montalgo and edited by Miguel Marcias. It was mixed by Stephanie Lebau. That's it for today. The Latino USA team includes Julia Caruso, Jessica Ellis, Victori Estrada, Rinaldo Leanos Junior, Andrea Lopez Gruzsado, Luis Luna Gldimar Marquez, Marta Martinez, Mike Sergeant, Nor South, and Nancy Trujillo. Benilei Ramirez is our co executive producer, along with myself your host Mariano Rosa. Remember you can find Latino USA on your podcast feed and on our website, which is Latinousa dot org. We'll see you with extended versions of our stories every Friday and Sunday, So subscribe to Latino USA wherever you get your podcasts, Join us again on our next episode, and remember note and I'll see you on insta ram My.
Speaker 5: Latino USA is made possible in part by the Heisin Simons Foundation, unlocking knowledge, opportunity, and possibilities more at hsfoundation dot org. Latino USA is made possible in part by the John D. And Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation and the Ford Foundation, working with visionaries on the frontlines of social change worldwide.
Speaker 1: The Latino USA team includes Mighel Massiels Really Again