Speaker 1: To get our starters in the number of reps they did for two days in a controlled environment really is good work, you know, because in a game like tonight they would only get maybe a quarter again or a quarter and a half. And you know, sometimes you don't get the scenarios of the situations you want, So doing a joint practice like that, you can do that and really get some good work.
Speaker 2: Welcome into jag Zam. After two days of joint practice with the Buccaneers, we got to see the Drags in action against the Buccaneers in their second preseason game without most of the starters playing. We got an extended look at some of the backups and people fighting for a roster spot. I'm Kennanni Stevens. Welcome into jag Zam. Brian Sexton and John Oser are with me here today. Start off with big Things number one, which is QB number two. Things pretty much solidified after Mac Jones had a great play, great play in the preseason game two. Brian, did you see what you needed to see for Mac Jones to kind of solidify things for you that he's QB.
Speaker 3: Two without a doubt, And Kay, you know you and I talked to him on Friday afternoon, and it was clear that he was here to push the reset button on a career that had gone south in New England last year, but not his confidence. He knows what kind of player he is. He's been a winner at every level and he just had that mentality. So he got out on the field and made plays. A couple of throws, the one to Parker Washington for the touchdown on third down and fourteen after taking a nine yard sack was a thing of beauty.
Speaker 4: I mean, he just he's got it and.
Speaker 3: You know, enjoying Wiley's here because you look around the National Football League. Would he be an upgrade in Las Vegas over their quarterback situation? Absolutely? Would he be an upgrade over the situation in Minnesota right now?
Speaker 4: Absolutely?
Speaker 3: It was a smart trade for the Jaguars to bring in a quarterback with ability, with a pedigree.
Speaker 4: Life he's got. He proved it on Saturday night. Yeah.
Speaker 5: I keep getting questions about should they trade Mac Jones for this pick or that pick? At some point, when you trade for guys, you trade for him for a reason because you want them on the field, and you know, I think that may mean not getting anything for Mac when he leaves, but you traded a six round pick for him with the idea that you wanted some security this year. He was impressive. I think more than anything. You can tell that he has confidence and why that's important. There's going to be times where things go bad in a game. Mac, not every quarterback, particularly not every backup quarterback has the ability to sort of push through that and still make plays. It appears that Mac Jones, if he starts, you know, three or four games, at some point during the season, you can see him overcoming the adversity and having solid enough play to get you two and two, three and one during those times.
Speaker 3: When I mentioned the touchdown after the nine yard sack, right, that's a great example bit. But later in the second quarter he missed Alan or I keep home Allen Austin Trammel. He threw behind him in the next play hit him for twenty nine yards to set up the field goal, the go ahead field goal at the end of the half.
Speaker 4: That's what the guy does. And you're right you wouldn't.
Speaker 3: Trade him because you brought him here to be your number two in case your number one isn't done in the field.
Speaker 2: A great security blanket to have especially after we saw what happened to Trevor getting a little banged up at the end of last season.
Speaker 5: Our big thing Number.
Speaker 2: Two is O line. He certainly saw some good things from the quarterback play, but the offensive line is still a little bit of a concern. We saw two of the starters originally in the game to start, but then the backups had some trouble. C J. Bether got sacked quite a bit. John, Is this a concern? I know we talked about the O line a ton, but what you saw in the game on Saturday.
Speaker 5: Well, anytime your backup to the backups, which is what someone was playing, struggles, is it concern you rather have it not? But are you losing sleepover compared to many other issues on the team. I don't think so. I never worried too much in preseason about offensive line breakouts meaning a couple of sacks, because once you're beyond your starters, the offensive line is only as good as its weakest link. So if you've got five offensive line when forbum can play well, if the guy who's not gonna make the team is the one guy not playing on the offensive line, then there's really not that much to be concerned about would they like to be a little deeper, would you like to get better play? Maybe I'm just not gonna lose sleep over the non starting backup offensive line.
Speaker 3: You're gonna lose sleep if you have a lot of injuries on the offensive line, and at this point you don't, so no reason to get too wound up about it. I spent a lot of time watching Javon Foster, the fourth round draft choice, and last year's seventh round pick, Cooper Hodges. Those are the two guys that I focused on, and they had some up and down moments, which you would expect, right Neither one has played more than two games in the National Football League. But if you're looking at those two guys in their progress, because you're not gonna see perfection from them, you see guys with ability, and you don't get too wound up about where you're at in this term by saying, well, I might have injuries in October, you will have injuries in October a piece.
Speaker 4: Guys get better by that, sorry.
Speaker 5: Ryan Keithing, or remember with the offensive line too, Yeah, there are past blocking breakouts. They also ran for one hundred and forty yards, so there were some decent things going on in the last two games. While we've been focused on what they've done wrong, there's been some encouraging things about the offensive line that makes you think it's not, you know, awful.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 2: A great day from Tank, John, which I'm sure you're going to be excited to talk about a little bit later.
Speaker 5: We love Tank.
Speaker 4: We're on here.
Speaker 2: Our final big thing today is going to be defensive depth. As I get close to that fifty three man roster cut down next week, a lot of the spots that are going to be opening, probably on the defensive side of the football. Brian, we got an extended look at some of those players fighting for spots. What did you see on the defense? And anybody surprise you?
Speaker 4: You know, I don't think it's already surprised is.
Speaker 3: I think what I appreciated seeing was a lot of the young guys that we've talked about, whether it's the defensive backs right Monterey or Trey Prince or Christian.
Speaker 4: Braswell, all flash. They all made a play.
Speaker 3: Bedro Miller was all over the field, some good, so bad. But you're looking at a guy you want to seek any run and read and react to what's going on, and then it was great to see both Mason Smith and Jordan Jefferson make plays up front. It was the first look we had at the other defensive tackle they drafted from LSU. There are a lot of bodies, and Ryan Nielsen likes to rotate guys in from the first level all the way back to the secondary. He's got guys he can work with.
Speaker 4: John.
Speaker 5: Yeah, they could have a pretty deep linebacker bunch. I was watching Chad Moon a little bit and he had the huge hit either first or second series, I forget which one it was. Chad's a guy they drafted third round. Has been solid and available, and you thought when they drafted and maybe he would be a guy eventually starts. Between Chad and Ventrel Miller, you feel like, all of a sudden, if they're not able, if either Devin Lloyd or Foya Lucan aren't in, there's some depth there that you don't feel like everything's out the window if the backups have to play.
Speaker 2: Could be some difficult roster decisions at the end of the day next Tuesday, when they make those cuts.
Speaker 5: Stay with us here on Jagzam.
Speaker 2: We're going to go over all the highlights for you from preseason game number two against the Box.
Speaker 5: DAGs.
Speaker 2: Fans, you can register your furry friend for the Jaguars Official Four Legged Fan Club for pats presented by Forever BET's Animal Hospital. Your pet will receive access to exclusive merchandise events and sweepstake throughout the twenty twenty four season. Visit Jaguars dot com Slash Promotion Slash four Legged Fan Club to sign up today.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think there's always things we can clean up. And I've been very fortunate to be be a starter and not off to play, and then also in this situation having to play, but I always want to be on the field, and these guys always want to be on the field, So I know it means a lot to a lot of people, and we're going to show passion and the energy and plug the young guys. And the offense line did a good job overall, and the starters did a good job on the sideline communicating. That's another thing you look for in those situations, like Trevor and everybody and Christian Gabe, So I thought it was good for all of us to come together and and win.
Speaker 2: Welcome back to jag Zam Mac Jones making the most of his first start in a Jaguars uniform, as he got two touchdowns through for ten two hundred and ten yards.
Speaker 3: In a wings well, would you try to get him a series on Friday Night with the with the ones?
Speaker 4: Maybe maybe two series?
Speaker 2: I think it depends what they do after the half, because don't they usually do the starters the first.
Speaker 5: Yeah, last year they even play him until the half. That I don't think just KR theories.
Speaker 3: I mean, he did a good job with the number twos and the number three. I just would like to see him with the Yeah.
Speaker 5: I think if Doug's normal approach, and he's only been here two years so it's hard to tell exactly his range of approaches in the last preseason game, if he plans on playing them into the second half, then maybe it feels like last year they only did three series early. So I don't know that he would risk injury to other guys trying to force him into that, but I wouldn't mind seeing it. I'm just not sure what Doug's watsfield be.
Speaker 2: On that we might see a little carryover. We did see Brian Thomas Junior play in the game on Saturday, so maybe something like that. Some of the rookies, not everybody on offense. But let's talk a little bit about the game. Let's look at some of the highlights. First off, Tank had a day. John, We know you love team Tank. Excuse me, we know you love Team Tank. But it was spacely se him being confident out there because, as we've talked about a little bit, I think kind of got in his own head a little bit towards the back of last season, and now he's running confident, which is huge as a running back to kind of just get a little bit momentum behind you.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it felt like they really wanted this was the opportunity to get him out there, get him carries, get him feeling like the main guy. Early. He has played through training camp like he did early in training camp as a rookie. He tends to be running hard. He just looks like a big time NFL running back, which he looked like early in training camp last year. I think the key for Tank this year. It feels like will be the first time he hits a snag. Does he oh, oh my goodness, this is what happens to me in the NFL? Or does he push through it. I think he'll push through it.
Speaker 4: I've talked to him. I don't sense any snags coming.
Speaker 3: I mean, I think he has a lot of confidence in who he is and what he could do. And you know, last year I was banging the drum when they couldn't convert third and short.
Speaker 4: Put him in. You're seeing right here.
Speaker 3: He's got awareness, he's got power, he's got suddenness.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 3: Is he as explosive as traps etn No, not even close.
Speaker 4: But that's not what you need him to be.
Speaker 3: You need him to be the pounder, the enforcer, the guy that can go get the yards when it's third and four or third and one. They even threw the ball to him the other night, which, by the ways, where his problem came in last year. It wasn't like he was fumbling all over the field. He just had those two go off of his hands that went crazy. I think he got unfairly tagged with a ball secure the issues last year, and I don't think that should affect his confidence.
Speaker 4: I don't think he does affect his confidence, and.
Speaker 3: I think they should just feed him the ball in situations, find a package for him and let him go.
Speaker 2: It's been good to see him kind of focusing on that as well, not trying to bounce outside every time like kind of just going getting whatever yardage is there for him and keeping the ball moving, which has been huge for them.
Speaker 3: I have told the story, but I shook his hand the first time and I had to ask him to let go. I mean, he's just got these powerful he's got He's a power back.
Speaker 5: Absolutely.
Speaker 2: We saw Brian Thomas Junior for a little bit in the beginning of that game on Saturday, and another first down, first down machine, which we love to see from him. And he's got the little celebration down too, So we love to see Brian Thomas coming into his own a little bit. But I'm just so excited to see him in the regular season.
Speaker 5: Yeah. He feels to me like a guy who is going to matter early and then potentially what I always look for from rookies. You want to see him by the end of the season, By the time we walk out of here in hopefully February. Wow, that guy is going to be a big time NFL player. You don't always see it in October, but then you'll feel these moments in November and December when you think, okay, teams are having a hard time stopping this guy. He's figured out what defenses do and you're starting to see it. And he can take everything he learned concentrated on in the offseason and come back a year two and be really strong. I'm telling you, I usually expect nothing from rookies. I'm starting to ask some expectations for him.
Speaker 4: You can tell that they do too.
Speaker 3: I mean there's no hesitation on Trevor's port or Mac in that particular instance, for.
Speaker 4: Them to throw the ball to him. They trust him, they believe he can go and make the play.
Speaker 3: If they believe in him and he believes in him, hold account.
Speaker 5: And he started to do stuff in practicing and games that translate to regular season stuff. Sometimes you will see wide receivers lower in the depth chart have big numbers in the preseason, you think, well, okay, great, that's not going to translate the rate of season. He started to do stuff that you can see will work against frontline cornerbacks. So yeah, it looks like he's going to add a dimension. And if this receiving corps is going to feel like a four deep receiving corps and it just never quite felt that way last.
Speaker 4: Year, well if other people's opinions mean anything to you.
Speaker 3: The Buccaneers, who were a good defense, were buzzing about him last week and how difficult he was for them to.
Speaker 2: Cover and playing off of him, respecting his speed, which is great to hear as well. The mac Jones experience at times can be what we've seen, at least in New England, sacking himself but then coming back and making a great touchdown throw. And sometimes that's just how it is.
Speaker 5: As he would say.
Speaker 2: He and potentionially did that to give himself a little more room to throw the football. I don't know if that was actually the plan, but also Park of Washington, which is just seeing him come into his own so far in this preseason. He's told me he felt like he was injured a lot last year and didn't really get to what he felt he could be, his ceiling, and he's getting there now.
Speaker 3: What he was I mean, he came in coming off of an injury from Penn State and then got into the ballgame in London against the Falcons and immediately tweaked his knee and wasn't really healthy until they needed him at the end of the year. So I think a lot of mac Jones, not a big Alabama guy. I'm a BK guy, not a bulls guy, right, So I didn't follow his career there very much. But in getting to spend time and watch and talk to him, you just realize he's a winner and he knows what it takes to win. And I loved how he hung in the pocket. That's one play where he overcame adversity John. The other is, as I mentioned in the A block, he missed Trammel on a short underneath rout and then came back the very next play for twenty nine more to set up the go ahead field goal at the half. He's got a little gunslinger mentality to him. He's not scared, and I think that's why Doug and Press and Mike McCoy like him so much.
Speaker 5: Yeah. Two thoughts on these guys. I think the biggest name is Mac Jones. Is don't you feel like if Trevor happens to go down and not be available and Mac Jones walks into the huddle, everybody on offense goes, oh, okay, good. Yeah, I mean not good, but okay, if we can do this, not what's going on? Yeah? Yeah, So I think that is as important as anything that mac does in the fact that I think teammates are gonna believe in him. How significant is it if Parker Washington develops and is a guy they can count on. And I'm not here to slam the last twenty drafts, but it's been a long time since a receiver has sort of developed organically from the Jaguars garden, if you will. You had Hearns and a Rob back in twenty fifteen. He wasn't either a draftmack Well, but I mean guys that came in that they brought into the organization that you didn't have to go out and spend mega millions to get. That would be such an addition to the depth and what they've built to all of a sudden, have the four we're talking about, and Parker Washington as an addition to that, and Devin Duvernet, who you feel like can add you a little something. All of a sudden, they have a receiving corps where if one guy goes down, you don't feel like now you're playing with two and you know, and a backup. You feel like you've got a starter to put in there. That hasn't happened around here in a long time. At that position before you go on.
Speaker 3: Can we just cut something off at the pass with folks with mac Jones, enjoy him while he's here right, Oh, list public's yesterday I was stopped twice bye. People said can they keep him? Can they keep him? Can they keep him? No? No, you're not going to be able to keep him because he's a good player and he's going to have an opportunity and free agency to move on. And you can't pay two quarterbacks. What it would take to pay two quarterbacks. Just put that one out there right now.
Speaker 5: Well, and in fairness to him and giving in the building know is Doug Press. He doesn't want to be kept for more than a year, right, And this should be a story where at the end of the year, he's signing somewhere, staying front a podium and saying, what a great year in Jacksonville, what a dream I was home, and now it's signed for me to move on. That's what you hope for him, and that's what the team hopes for him.
Speaker 3: I think his phrase when we talked to him on Friday was he wanted to use the opportunity against the Buccaneers to show people what he's going to do.
Speaker 4: Next.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, let's see some more from Mac. And he talked a lot off the top of this block about helping the players around him. Right. He likes to play in the preseason because he knows these guys are fighting for roster spots, that they want to showcase, get some film.
Speaker 5: He's doing that for Austin Trammel.
Speaker 2: He gave four big receptions seventy five yards for Trammel and one big third and long conversion. I was very impressed by, of course, as everyone's probably seen.
Speaker 5: M on the internet.
Speaker 2: I just I think the fact that, as Doug has talked about, there's no drop off on any of these with the quarterback play, and then to be able to see what other people are capable of it really gives you an idea of the depth of this team, because sometimes you don't really know what you have until later in the season. Yes, there, I am John. That's how you look when you see nice glass of bourbon.
Speaker 5: Or well, yeah. What you hope for Trammel is that nobody else notices this. You can get it to the practice and you can get him the practice squad guy, because again he's a guy. Last year when Christian was out, Parker wasn't quite ready to be one hundred percent, So when Christian was out, all of a sudden, you felt like they had only two guys that they could trust. For Trammel, these are big because you put up things like this and you've been in the league already three or four years. He's gonna have a job somewhere in the NFL. That's it's important to him. I love that guy. But it looks like now they're starting to have guys who they'll be able to get to the practice squad and have solid if needed.
Speaker 3: I look at it, and you covered him, but I look at him and I see West Welker, right. Wes Welker was a guy who was well. He was in San Diego and then Miami and in.
Speaker 4: Place four years.
Speaker 3: In those two places, he had like eighty six catches, and in his first year with Tom Brady, that's Tom Brady, he had ninety catches.
Speaker 4: He just looks like one.
Speaker 3: Of those guys who if you keep working to develop him, he's going to pay off for you in some way, shape or for him. So I hope they can get him through the practice squad because he had a really impressive camp.
Speaker 2: I'm going to talk a little bit about this in my hot tape, But trying to get this roster down, especially certain position groups, there's a lot that you want to keep, and I don't know how we're going to get the numbers to work out. We'll discuss that a little bit. Some good defense as well in the second half. Obviously you know second third stringers there. But we did see some flashes from some people. Brian, what were you must impressed by? I feel like the defensive line we saw some flashes as well, and then just different different.
Speaker 3: Players speed, right, I mean these guys were running to the football from any direction. And this is a fast team at Parker right there, right. I mean, he's the guy who comes in as an undrafted rookie free agent, and he ran all over the field. I thought he had a really nice night. This is a fast team, now, John. Part of that speed maybe because the defense is so simple, right. They have a few coverages, they have a few pressure packages, and they just want to execute them at the highest level possible. The other thing I say is we see Edmunds. They had some power. I mean we saw some big hits from him again and from Chad Mumma. This defense just from top to bottom has been an impressive unit.
Speaker 5: Yeah. I think in the second half with defense, you sort of look at the overall picture and again you see speed and you think to yourself, okay, there's sixteen practice squads, eight of them are on defense. If they have eight young, fast guys who are out playing the other teams young guys, then maybe you can have three or four guys on that practice squad that can come in and get you through if needed. Maybe one guy develops. It was encouraging because again you had guys late in the game getting some sacks, doing some stuff that makes you think, Okay, we're not in incredible trouble. If guys go down. I don't know that we saw guys who will be talking about in October, but that's a better sign than if you don't see it.
Speaker 3: You got to develop this wrong and the practice squad is not something we talk a lot about through the course of the season.
Speaker 4: But if you want to talk about developing.
Speaker 3: You've got to get those guys to a position where they can step into the bottom of your roster. When guys get hurt, you need to bring them along too. So guys like Trammel and Parker, Hey man, if you can get them into a position where they can contribute at the end of the year, you're really set up to protect your salary cap.
Speaker 5: Well, we're coming up on a time next week when there's cuts mentioned the practice squad. For years we talked about the fifty three. The reality in the NFL since COVID and since the practice squad has been expanded, that it's really closer to a sixty man sixty one man roster because these guys come off the practice squad so often, guys like Trammel, even CJ. Bethard, if they get him to the practice squad, If that's how it plays out, I don't know who's going to play out with CEG. Maybe they keep three. But you now have situations where these guys really come up two or three times a year and the team considers those guys very important pieces of what they might do week to week. Let's take a look at CJ.
Speaker 2: He was supposed to play the entire second half, but unfortunately he had to leave with a groin injury. We'll try to get an update from Doug on that a little bit later on in the day, but he was having quite a time running for his life at certain points there. And I know John you were saying this is late farther down in the depth chart of the offensive line, but it makes some questions as well because some of these guys have been around a couple of years. Is this maybe where you focus more on Javon Foster and Cooper Hodgs than some of the other guys you've kept around if it's getting down to that point.
Speaker 5: Well, again, it's so tough because on the offensive line, it's the one spot where one error completely can wipe out whatever eight other good things going on. So I did not break down exactly where all the pressure was coming from. Again, I've seen it so often where there's huge holes in the offensive line in the fourth quarter of the game, where nobody really plays that I just don't attach as much to it as I would if it was happening to guys who I thought were gonna be on the team.
Speaker 4: Can I just point out this.
Speaker 3: Is the point last year in a preseason game where Nathan Rourke would be running around and slinging the ball and making a play and having everybody say, we've got to keep that guy right. This is a This is what a nine year veteran, ten year veteran.
Speaker 4: You've got him out there.
Speaker 3: He doesn't get away from anybody, and he's playing behind a ligne with some guys who are going to be accountants or attorneys or back in school in weeks to come, right, I mean, that's just the nature of late in the game, in the preseason, the fourth quarter and so poor.
Speaker 4: I mean, it's just well, that's what you see is you see those those those.
Speaker 3: Run around guys that can make dramatic plays, and that's where they shine in situations where everything breaks down.
Speaker 5: Also, before you completely right off, everybody who played, which I've been doing too, it's the most it's the group that most depends on cohesion and the third offensive line. There are situations where it's the first time they've ever been together in live action the other night, So I guess keep it in perspective.
Speaker 4: A little bit.
Speaker 5: Alright.
Speaker 2: One more highlight for you that Mac touchdown throw in the latter part of the game there as we talk a little bit about just what he brings in terms of he made some good specific throws earlier in the game as well, just into a you know, tight windows or whatever it was that shows you that first round capability.
Speaker 4: Yeah that this what doesn't need much analysis. I mean he he timed it.
Speaker 5: Beautiful drop of the bucket.
Speaker 4: Yep.
Speaker 5: Well, and I think what was I guess cool? Not the CJ got hurt. But you saw MATC come in. He's been on the sidelines. He thinks he's done. He's probably done a couple of Hey mom, dad, you know, uh, thanks for coming to the game. All of a sudden he's back in, and all of a sudden, once he got back in, the level went back up. So I think he saw that he's a guy who uh belongs on the football field in the NFL. No matter what the circumstance, he could have easily come in and thrown a couple of in complations. I played well, so I was focused on the first half. So again, a good night for mack. Well.
Speaker 4: He wants to be on the field, he said that after the.
Speaker 2: Game, and if he likes to play, if we do see him come into a game, hopefully not not gonna whatever would we have it would be a situation like that where maybe Trevor needs to take off a series or whatever. It is, so good stuff there. Coming back after the break, we'll go over our hot takes from three season Game number two, Move the Fray, Move the freight, Magellan Transport, What did the coolest office space in Jacksonville? You can apply online at Magellanlogistics dot com jag exam. Also, we're gonna do hot takes today, brought to you by Firehouse Subs, because why not have a hot take on a Monday, especially after we got to see preseason game number two and a lot of good action from some of the guys fighting for roster spots. Brian, when you were looking at what your hot take was going to be today, what were you thinking about?
Speaker 3: Well, first of all, I hadn't really think about it, but Trent Balky told us on Saturday night in the.
Speaker 4: Television broadcast that they.
Speaker 3: Had a different process this year for on boying rookies, for getting younger guys engaged earlier, and I think it's gonna pay off, and not just this year's younger guys, but last year's as well. There's a youth movement coming right. I mean, you watch Mason Smith and we saw just a few plays from Jordan Jefferson, but he made plays right, and you can see where those two guys are more valuable to your roster than guys like Roy Robertson Harris and Orlando Ledbetter who were contributors last year but don't have that youth, don't come with that lower salary cap number. Aren't the developmental prospects. I don't know how ninety eight and ninety four don't make the roster over You know guys in their early thirties who carry a higher salary cap number, who you're not counting on more than maybe year to year. As opposed to these two guys, you're looking three four years in the future. I think to some degree, you could say the same thing with Cooper Hodges. Now he's not ready to step in the starting lineup today, but if you watch him on the practice field last week, you can tell he's not far and he had a bad play that gave up a sack, but also it's a good plays. On Saturday night, you can see where Brandon Sheriff, who struggled all last year with the foot in the ankle, but played because he's a tough guy. I won't have to this year, and at some point it'll be time for Cooper Hodges to step in and to take that spot. There are young, talented players here who need to be on the field, and those are just a couple of them.
Speaker 5: Yeah, those storylines need to happen because if they don't, then they have to readdress positions down the road.
Speaker 4: So it's a natural progression of a roster.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and I couldn't agree more. My hot take is that I'm team Tank more than.
Speaker 4: A welcome to the club now I've been here a lot.
Speaker 5: Again, we joke about it, and I don't know Tank much better do much more than any other player on their oster. I know that he the season started off rough last year on the weird play, the one where he caught the ball and he fumbled, and it just seemed like never got back on track. The other thing with Tank last year was because he was always in short yardage almost always. His yards per carrier were like two point three or two point four needed well, and frankly, the offensive line last year at one point, I'm not sure it would matter to anybody back there would have had had trouble. So he was in a situation where his hard for him to succeed. I think it'll be tough for the team to commit to him the way that would maximize his potential because you're not gonna pull Travis etn off the field in big, big situations, or you're not gonna take away an offense where Travis is a main focus. But I think the concerted effort to keep Tank involved and to use him more, it's a storyline to watch and they need to figure out a way to do it. My hot take today is similar.
Speaker 2: We talked a little bit about it already, but I think this is gonna be the toughest roster cut down that Doug Peterson's had, at least here in Jacksonville, because of what we've just discussed.
Speaker 5: There's some position groups.
Speaker 2: Where you may want to keep, you know, you almost tempted to keep seven wide receivers maybe, but then there's other groups where you really are going to have to commit to the youth, and I think that's a sometimes difficult decision for people to make. Specifically, obviously these are people you're dealing with, but then also like that's your future with the team as well, so you know, to make those commitments and cut people that have contributed in the past, but maybe you need to now focus on the younger players. Those are difficult decisions to make at the end of the day, and I think there's going to be more than a handful of them this time around with the Jaguars roster, specifically on the defensive side of the ball, and on both both lines, both sides of the line.
Speaker 3: You know, I think to some degree, two thirds of the teams in the league kind of say that they feel like they've got a good roster and they're going to lose some guys. It's worth noting that, you know, everybody has their ninety man roster right now, and they have worked through camp to keep a focus on their guys. So I think that this whole process of keeping some guys you want isn't quite as difficult as we think it is, because everybody would like to keep the guys.
Speaker 4: They've developed, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: There might be a Trammel right that people need a receiver, but I don't think it's as difficult, not that there won't be difficult decisions on who's on the fifty three, but getting those guys through to the practice squad. I don't think it's quite as difficult these days as it once was.
Speaker 5: Well, and you'll probably lose a guy fifty three cut. You might lose one guy that some teams enamorate with me. Brian's points exactly right. Jalen Jackson, for instance, who I think he's played very very well. You know we've seen Jalen Jackson play really really well. My guess is there's twenty teams that have a rookie free agent running back who has flashed enough for the team's gonna say, you know what, we like him. He's been in our system, He's familiar. It's mainly what Brian's talking about. When these guys have been there since April fifteenth or since ride for the draft, and they're familiar with the system. If you have a third quarterback, well, if a team has a third quarterback and he's been in their system for four months, he's probably a better option for them than CJ. Bethard would be, who's been in this system for three months. So it takes a lot for a team to say I want that guy, and I want to put him on my active roster and juggle what I've already been planning for four months. We'll have to see.
Speaker 2: We still got about a week left until they make those final cuts, but that'll be done on Tuesday that deadlines at four pm, say with us here on dag Vam. We'll talk about what we got going on the rest of the week and the final preseason the game of the year.
Speaker 5: Jagsvaans.
Speaker 2: Do you want customized Daguars furniture for your home? Checkout zipchaar dot com to browse all the customizable options. Zip Chair is furniture for fans.
Speaker 7: He really treats each day like a game day. So with that, we're trying to align the just before the pre snap win. The pre snap is what we talked about a lot, and then it's also attack and aggressive, and I think you're able to see that with our play how guys are attacking the ball, hit getting hard hits, and I think it just allows us to play fast too, and just being able to trust one another out there.
Speaker 2: Bad mom against some playing time in preseason game number two, he's trying to get in that linebacker mix they've got going on with Ryan Nielsen's rotation on defense. But the final days of training camp, you guys, I know camp officially broke, but we still got a couple more days of practice before the final preseason game on Friday.
Speaker 3: Muma's interesting guy if you get him, and he's moved to strong side and he's obviously playing in a new scheme with Ryan Nielsen, but he's a third round pick and if you get something from him this year, it reminds us that not everybody is ready to play even in year two. I mean, he's a guy who looks like he gets it now.
Speaker 4: Well.
Speaker 5: I think both he and Ventrel Meller are are are very important storylines. If you're gonna be a deep team, that depth has to come from somewhere, and they feel deep to me at linebacker. Where again, if they have an injury and you see forty eight or fifty one running out there, you're not in a panic that all of a sudden that's a weak spot in the defense. So that's it. Takes time when you take over in twenty twenty one with a depleted roster to get a roster where you feel like there's a lot of depth in a lot of places in Mac Jones, Ventro Miller, Chad Mooma, Parker Washington, Tank, Bigsby Alsome. We're talking about depth around here.
Speaker 3: One more preseason game and then the preseason by yes, which is gonna go away when they go to eighteen games.
Speaker 2: You know it, so don't ruin. Don't rain on the parade already, don't ran on the parade all right. We're gonna have Jags on Wednesday and Thursdays we get ready for that final preseason game on Friday. Thanks for joining us. We'll see again soon.