Speaker 1: Of the law and Order franchises, SVU is considered especially watchable.
Speaker 2: We are the amateur detectives who kind of investigate the vicious felonies. These episodes are based on.
Speaker 3: These are our stories, done done.
Speaker 2: Yay, that's messed up. In SVU podcast, I'm Liza Trigger.
Speaker 1: And I am Kara Klank and we are here to talk SVU true crime guests, interviews, random crap from the internet, things going on in our lives. And here we are.
Speaker 4: We're back.
Speaker 1: We're in a little This is a little bit of a time machine episode because when this episode comes out, I'll have just come back from spring break, which is something I have to engage in because I have my kids. But it's spring break maybe, And what are you doing? Well, I'm going this week. This tomorrow, i leave actually for Boston, and then I'm going to New Hampshire to do my yearly camp Girls Weekend in New Hampshire, and then I'm gonna come to New York for a night and then I'm gonna fly to North Carolina where Jared will meet me with the kids. And so he's flying alone with the kids for the first time. So prayers, prayers up to him he'll be fine. They're way better. They just watch TV now. But then we'll be in North Carolina. We're gonna be in Raleigh.
Speaker 4: What are their drinks in the air? What are their drinks?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Like, what do they like to get at the beverage car? At the kids? They just get. They don't get anything.
Speaker 4: They don't get an apple juice, ginger ail, nothing, they don't.
Speaker 5: They don't get.
Speaker 1: They don't drink soda, so they I'll get them water if they need water, but I don't give them apple juice. They'll spill it everywhere. They're too young. When they're a little older, they can fuck around with the drink cart truly, like shocks.
Speaker 4: Oscar will spell it all over himself, like it's just I can't do. That's a rest. That's a huge risk.
Speaker 1: And honestly, I've gotten them the bisk off and they're not huge fans.
Speaker 2: I've gotten them the cuckie thing. Don't give me the cheese, It's give me the breath right now. That have Albone's fucking gummy bears better than they're weird vegan things they had.
Speaker 4: I fucking shout out Delta for those gummy bears.
Speaker 2: Okay, and I don't even eat them on the plane, but I take two or three throat in my purse and I have a little gummy snack everywhere I go.
Speaker 4: It's awesome.
Speaker 1: Oscar will love that. He's a gummy He's a gummy head.
Speaker 2: You gotta be you gotta be sitting, you know, comfort. These are comfort snacks. Though, these are comfort stacks.
Speaker 1: You know. I don't find my kids comfort. Come on, I'm not doing that.
Speaker 4: They don't.
Speaker 1: They're basically a coach seat is delta one for them. They can like lie down if you just recline at two inches. But yeah, spring Break.
Speaker 2: I saw some clip, you know, it's like mana sphere time and everyone's like ride a pill and all whatever. The internet and I saw like some clip and it was oh, some guy was like, yeah, I go to spring break man and with the girls, and the other guy goes thirty two, what do you mean spring break?
Speaker 1: It's not for you, you know, it's for the kids. What are you breaking from?
Speaker 2: And I just I thought that was like really funny where it's like, no, you're a fucking creep if you're going to spring break to like hit on girls.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and a grown man. It's like it's for the youth. Yeah, it's like I'm going down to Miami for spring break? What or like Fort Lauderdale. Oh my god, that's for twenty five and under.
Speaker 2: I'm telling you, I think that's another strong opinion up top for back to back episode.
Speaker 1: Yeah, even like just after college, I don't really or maybe grad school. I'm like, I don't know how you're getting the time off work to go to a place that's going to be really crowded and it's more expensive because of the time of year that you're going.
Speaker 4: But people likes a party. I get it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I guess, but the it's probably also a lot of freaks and creeps because like I was on spring break as a seventeen year old and there were definitely older bro Skuys there, you know.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, so.
Speaker 1: You know, the Epstein vibes are everywhere. But but that's not what we came here to talk about. Later, we came well topping different this time it's different. Wait, you were in Vermont. I'm going to New Hampshire this weekend. I'm going very close to Vermont and a Vermont, but what love Vermont?
Speaker 2: I went to the d One Girls Lacrosse conference game theory.
Speaker 4: I played lacrosse in high school.
Speaker 2: Right, I don't know, but I assume you know, it's a very new England thing because it's very East Coast.
Speaker 4: We don't have it.
Speaker 2: But it is also Native American, which I did not know and was stolen, but but it was basically I saw the bus of the opposing team in the hotel parking lot and I go, what the fuck's going on? We're going We're going the Retrievers, a Maryland team.
Speaker 4: It was like US MBC or something.
Speaker 2: I'm inventing letters, but it was the Retrievers versus the Catamounts, which is crazy but it's some whatever. But yeah, we ran into some well, like I guess, I kept calling it u of M and then someone DM me and was like it's UVM please.
Speaker 4: From like the show.
Speaker 2: But it was a conference game eleven am Saturday morning and we were and I couldn't well. I did the classic thing where I was about to buy tickets and Katie the comic co open for me, was like, I think there'll be tickets available, like you don't have.
Speaker 1: To work at the door. Yeah, it's women's sports, it'll be fine. But you actually nailed it. It's UNBC. I mean you got the letters completely right. Oh yeah, University of Maryland, Baltimore County.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 2: Yes we met those parents. But I don't know what glitched in my brain. I forgot that it was outside. Like I had my airport sweatpants and sweatshirts, so like I had warmer clothes and I even brought a hat, but it didn't click it would be outside. So we're approaching, we get dropped off and I'm like, oh my god, I am wearing Swiss she ankle pants, like open, like loose, fake denim ankle pants and a crop top polo and just my coat and I go, oh my god. And then it starts snowing, hurt inning, like I mean, not it. I saw your stories. I was like, what's happening. Yeah. I went to support the girls and we stayed until like fourth the fourth quarter, and then during halftime though, we snuck into the ice skating rink at UVM and took a bunch of photos and I acted out scenes from the show and like, yeah, hilarious, Oh my god. So I had fun at the empty ice skating rink and then the girls were amazing u VM one and we'll see where the girls conference team goes.
Speaker 4: Okay, yeah, I hope you guys make it all the way, all the way.
Speaker 1: Amazing food, amazing crowds, like it was awesome. Wait did you go to Ahead of the Wood?
Speaker 4: Of course?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 1: I saw bread. Yeah I saw your bread. You didn't even tag it. I was like, she's a handle of the wood. We've never gone there together, have we?
Speaker 4: We tried? We could.
Speaker 2: I went once with Jared, but then it was it was before the shows. What's awesome is Thursday. It's one show, not too so. We had a nine o'clock reservation and something that's never happened to me was our waitress went, you can't get two desserts. You really can't. It'll be too much. I think you guys have had enough. And we're like what. She goes, I just don't want you to feel sick, Like how are you feeling? And we went we're really full. She goes, just please just get one. It's like, you, dumb bitch, I'm selling you down. So I got. We both were like, we've never had that. She goes, I just don't want you feeling like shit. She's like, I just don't know if there's room for both, but I've been dreaming about the other dessert I didn't get and I should have said, shut up, let me have it.
Speaker 1: But you could have taken one bite and brought it home. Like I don't know, I know, I don't know what I was thinking. I listened to her.
Speaker 2: But we did have like four things I guess with the our restaurants so fucking good.
Speaker 4: It's so good.
Speaker 2: And then we also went to Henry's like diner counter so like we got cornbief, hash eggs, sausage, bisiness, gits, gravy like breakfast potatoes with all this stuff want it like, we just had the best I fucking love Vermont. I love going there. I love how wabas and honey. Did I go out Friday night get blacked the fuck out?
Speaker 4: Or was it? Yeah? I did, I really did.
Speaker 2: We went to JP's, we karaoke, We went to a Middle Eastern Ali Baba's. We stay there until four in the morning. We went to the hotel lobby. We still didn't stop, Like I just it was a really fun trip. That's fun, so thank you to everyone that came to the show. Is such great audience, and like the club also has such good cocktails.
Speaker 4: It's really impressive. So yeah, all around the ring club are great, great people.
Speaker 2: But then I felt really cool because at the Ali Baba's it was the end of the night and the guy yelled, everyone get the fuck out, it's done, and so we start like packing our shit up, and he goes, not you two, I'm not yelling at you. And I mean, that was my first time there, Like.
Speaker 1: Like you say, or was he just not being met?
Speaker 4: Like we got to be like the last people to go.
Speaker 1: Wow, we got to like chill out, like I love that I met.
Speaker 2: I met a young swiftie. I bonded with him like at the bar. And then we also like there is a voice of an angel singing. There was a voice of an angel at that karaoke. We were like her number one fans. And then her guy friend obviously is in love with her and we tried to help them. There was a there was a bachelorette party with a mean bride and you can tell all her friends hated her. I mean, I had the time of my life in for a month.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 1: I was just at live band karaoke two nights ago.
Speaker 4: Live band. Wow.
Speaker 1: Really fine? More pressure, more pressure, Yeah, And then they only have three hundred songs because they have to know the song. So it's kind of good because they pick, like it's not like people picking like totally random shit you've never heard of. You know, it's mostly but one girl did get up and do Fiona Apple's Criminal and she just did not know the tune of it. But besides that, like there was a lot of fun people that went no angels.
Speaker 2: I wouldn't say, but I kept not knowing songs that everyone knew. And Katie turns to me and goes, yeah, you probably didn't know someone that died in Afghanistan, and I go, that is true, and that's what's the song. There was just hit after hit where everyone was like rocking out and I was like, I've never heard this. And then when she said that, all these other guys are like, that's it, and it's like they have all just had tragedy because of war, and so they like relate to these weird rock songs. And I'm just waiting for like Pink Pony Club to arrive. You know what, I got it, I've never heard this in my like.
Speaker 1: This is how you remind me?
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I know that's so. But in that genre, and but that was a that was a bigger song. I do know that song, okay, but yeah, like songs like that. So that made me laugh. Did you sing?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 1: It was full. Literally when we wandered in there, it was like, the list is pretty full, but if you want to try, I was like, I'm not even gonna try, but we might go back.
Speaker 2: Oh and then someone told me to go to Artists Baker or whatever.
Speaker 4: I went.
Speaker 2: Whoever suggested August First. I went to August First as well. The best Blueberr muffin I've ever had.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: This is a Vermont tourist guide, a Burlington, a guy of Burlington.
Speaker 4: I always have fun.
Speaker 2: And the thing is like I talked to some people after the show and they're like, you're just kidding about loving Vermont, right, like you don't actually love it. I go, sometimes I'm performing in a strip mall forty miles outside of the town.
Speaker 4: I go, you don't understand.
Speaker 2: This is like, no, this is like the greatest, one of the greatest weekends on my calendar. And I'm fine to be in these weird towns next to a Jimmy John's. You know, I'm easy at an egg white bite like I am easy to entertain.
Speaker 4: I'm happy. But yeah, Vermont is definitely like No, Burlington's cute as fuck.
Speaker 1: It's great. Yeah, it's so great. I can't believe you went to a lacrosse game.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I used to play lacrosse in high school and I had a wooden stick, not the plastic wood harder.
Speaker 2: To I don't know the I mean for a while, I couldn't even see when the goals are being scored.
Speaker 4: It's a really hard. I know the ball so fast, it's just so many skills.
Speaker 2: I just so now they catch it in that little stick, like I don't, I don't get it.
Speaker 1: I liked that it was up in the air versus down on the ground like field hockey.
Speaker 4: Like when I tried to.
Speaker 1: Play field hockey, I was like, I'm.
Speaker 4: Like, my back is hurting. I don't like being hunched over.
Speaker 1: Like like you know what it's like when you when someone like throws you something and you use like something else to grab it. That's like what it feels like to me, Like, Lookross, it's like or like when you're jumping off a diving board and someone like throws you a frisbee and you have to like jump forward to get it. I'm always like, you're always just like trying to get a ball that's like right in front of you or up in the air, and not like you do have to scoop it off the ground of course plenty of times, but it's not all on the ground the way field hockey is, which was not for me, but.
Speaker 2: No, but it was like glorious and like, also, no one has better ponytails, Let's be honest. I mean, those girls are running like the best ponytails I've ever seen.
Speaker 1: Oh.
Speaker 2: Also, I'm so fucking pissitate. Didn't I tell you that? Back Ammon's about to have a moment. Back Ammon's about to fucking have a moment. Cult Gaya is selling a five hundred and ninety eight dollars purse that turns into a backgammon board.
Speaker 1: I can't, I can't. I'm trying to get my stylists to get it for me. She's like, do you have any events? I go, no, I go, I don't know. You gotta get it for me, get it, you gotta get this for me.
Speaker 2: Well, I send it to the group chat and my family goes, please don't spend your money on it. I go I'm not gonna die. I'm not gonna buy it. I'm gonna try to get it for free. But backgammon clutch.
Speaker 1: God, how does it? Does it fit? Other shit?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 4: You you would bring it to the backgammon game?
Speaker 2: Yeah baby, yeah, yeah, yeah, it's so cute. Fuck I want it so bad. Cult Gaya do you work here? Do you listen to us?
Speaker 4: Cold Guia?
Speaker 2: I've never heard of it in my life, but someone must be connected. Must someone listening? Remember I got Taco Bell gift cards from the podcast, Like people here are doing stuff.
Speaker 1: If you know anybody at calt Gaya, we need a up for this five.
Speaker 4: I'm a batgammin girl.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, yeah, yuh wait did I tell you we had the elections and I'm the PTA president next year?
Speaker 4: No, that's crazy that you just sat on that information.
Speaker 1: It happened.
Speaker 2: I mean, the thing is, I can't even no one's surprised. No, it was honestly silly. You pretended this wasn't your Like.
Speaker 1: I thought I could put it off another year, but they wouldn't let me do that.
Speaker 2: Well, you also, there's just no way that that's the part of what you want to do. Listen to other people.
Speaker 1: No, I was going to be the vice again.
Speaker 4: You want you wanted it, you want to be in charge.
Speaker 2: I'm doing Blenny has the Vice. Oh it's too much, it's too much. So what's the new thing our people do? They have to pledge allegiance to you, like, what kind of what kind of vibrant?
Speaker 1: I mean, I'm planning a full authoritarian government, like I'm just going to overthrow everybody, and yeah, I'm gonna make people's lives a living hell. So if you listen to this podcast and some people do that, go to my school, buckle the fuck up. I'm about to root fall.
Speaker 4: Class is gonna be insane.
Speaker 2: Yeah, open open your trunks, motherfuckers, and we're leasing there.
Speaker 1: Trunkard treat is about to pop the fuck off. But uh no, congratulations, I mean thanks, thank you. It was a hotly contested race.
Speaker 2: You know, there's a Simpsons episode called The PTA Disbands.
Speaker 4: If you want to watch it, No big deal. I bet I'll really relate.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, I think I'm gonna do something for passovers. Yes, oh, like a satyr. Yeah, oh my god, I'm It's during spring break, which is so annoying because I get invited always it's always around me. It's actually, when we were kids, it was always around my sister's birthday and she was always fucked. But yeah, not anymore.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Matza for your birthday is not fun. Well let's get started. What do you think I would love to? I would love to.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is thanks everyone for supporting us in every capacity.
Speaker 1: Yes, this is a great episode we have for you today, as always, come on over and see us on the Patreon, Patreon dot com slash that's messed up.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we're having fun on the Patreon. We're having guests.
Speaker 2: We're we're not reading the books, but we've we're having authors on.
Speaker 1: Yeah, chatting, chatting to the author. Babe, I'm busy. I'm reading other I'm heavily perusing. I'm heavily perusing. Sometimes we don't have enough time.
Speaker 2: We're gonna do some drag Race stuff soon once the season's.
Speaker 1: Uh oh yes, if you want our drag Race takes, that's gonna be on Patreon. I'm excited because, oh I haven't even watched it. I know, but I like a few of these girls. I think there's really some great stuff on there. No, I'm home for five weeks. Yeah, I'm gonna sit on the couch. Yes, you're gonna get it.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna watch all of drag Race in one fucking day while I declutter.
Speaker 1: And was I was talking about it with you. I think on this podcast about like how do you fucking watch drag Race? Like because I got rid of my cable and that's like I was watching it on MTV like DVR it. I just buy it on iTunes and.
Speaker 4: It's just there the next morning.
Speaker 1: I just can't watch it on Fridays like when it comes out, but it pops up first thing Saturday morning.
Speaker 4: That was so easy. It was like twenty dollars.
Speaker 1: I thought I was good to do all kinds of shit.
Speaker 4: We're in the We're in the time machine.
Speaker 2: But I'm gonna be up tonight twelve oh one am. The Heated Rivalry vinyl and CDs go on sale and I'll give the soundtrack. Oh it's both. It's like soundtrack and score. And they're they look so cool. It's like their photos are on the discs. It's like Taylor Swift hardcore, like it is cool. There's posters in it, like they're doing their their their numbers are on the CDs. It's doubles. It's double sets, like it's Sony Music Entertainment. Yeah, I hope you guys got it. I'm staying up because I looked up the exact time because I don't know if it was gonna be ten am. But it's twelve o one am. It says I can get it on twelve on four eight. No, none of these people are getting it. It's while we're recording, we're in the time machine.
Speaker 4: They're not getting it.
Speaker 2: Okay, sorry guys. No, it's a pre order, and so I that would just fine. Smart they're doing a pre order.
Speaker 1: Oh so nothing will sell it, but I'm gonna be first, Okay, Okay, I've stunned you into silence. Yeah, well I just yeah, that's yeah, We're.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I don't I have no words. I have no words. You're getting all the stuff, you're getting, all the.
Speaker 4: Not all of it.
Speaker 1: I've actually had like a lot of restraints. I wish I could like go on that brand, like you know that website that's called like Calshie, where you can like bet on anything, like you can bet on like the Rapture, you can bet on like who's Trump's gonna fire next? I wish I could like put in a bet where and of like what your next thing is going to be? Like, or I could like see what is the next thing that you're gonna be?
Speaker 4: Oh my god, wait put it on.
Speaker 2: It's on the pod our listeners will remember you got let's let's bet, Casey get in this. I don't get it. What is it called chat roulette, polymarket, let's do it? Chat roulette? Oh my god, chat roulette.
Speaker 1: That was just like jerk off Roulette. That was such a crazy time. Oh my god, Oh my god. Also Julio Tarres.
Speaker 2: Watch it on HBO Color Theories whatever special is called. It is awesome. I went to the PREMIEHBO HBO. I went to the premiere at the Museum of Art and Design. It was funny because he is vegan. There were passed around animal products, but the the the fucking the food was vegan, and I'm like, who's eating lentils at a party? But people were, But I'm like, this is not my spread. I got a falafel patty and put it in between some pedas like people are like swooping up beans, Like what the fuck's happening?
Speaker 1: No, No, we talked about this. He's from another planet. The food is not for you on this planet.
Speaker 4: I don't think.
Speaker 1: It's called Color Theories, and it came out March twenty seven, so go check it out.
Speaker 4: It really.
Speaker 1: It's so good and fun and I'm gonna peda great he's a great man's he's a he's a unique mind.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And it was just like awesome. I just love the arts. I really love the arts.
Speaker 1: I just remember when we were in New York and Julia was like telling me about the whole process of getting like a visa as an extraordinary artist, and I was like, wow, it must be like really hard to prove that you're like an extraordinary artist. And now he is truly like one of the most extraordinary artists that I think I know personally, you know, like he really is not like anybody else. It's you know, like I'm sure there's plenty of guys that are just like, yeah, I need to tell my dick jokes. I'm extraordinary, let me in. You know, He's like really a different kind of comedian now. Anyway, It's really.
Speaker 2: I was I laughed a lot and just so clever, like fuck, it's cool, what cause you know, there's there's different experiences when you see stuff and sometimes you're like, oh, why didn't I Like you're mad someone came up with it before. You're like, oh, that's such a good joke, like I can't believe and think about it, yeah and whatever. And then there's the other words like I could never even comprehend what is anigh that.
Speaker 1: A jillion dollars enough come up with this?
Speaker 2: Yes, and I would say him and Natalie Paula Metis both have like very cool ways of set design and using the set and it constantly surprising you.
Speaker 1: And I like that, and I like, I'm gonna watch it. I got a lot of I'm gonna watch a bunch of stand up I think this one. Yeah, we gotta get into Chris Chris Fleming, because you know what, Chris and we already talking about him.
Speaker 4: They talked about what I can't.
Speaker 1: I'm not gonna we talked about him, We've tked about him.
Speaker 4: We love Chris Fleming.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's let's start the episode. No no, please, that's messed up Live for Liza's schedule for merch et cetera, et cetera.
Speaker 4: And now on with the episode.
Speaker 2: Okay, nine one one dispatcher, we hear a kid's voice, little kid named Sam, not Tommy.
Speaker 4: Shocking.
Speaker 2: We should be saying that Tommy is more often because anytime I meet a Tommy, they're like, I'm a Tommy, but we really are, say we have actually don't say it ever.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean I put it in our in our social Sometimes I'll be like Tommy Nation and Tommy, you know, yeah, rise up, Tommy's no Sam's if you're a Sam, sorry, don't come up to it.
Speaker 4: And I'm just kidding, Lisa.
Speaker 1: Don't you usually introduce the title of the episode and the episode number.
Speaker 2: Listen, Casey, I don't know why that happened. I don't know why whatever, whatever. It's episode two seventy nine.
Speaker 4: I forget.
Speaker 2: It's called Father Dearest, which obviously a chill down my spine. Season thirteen, episode twenty May second, twenty twelve is the air date. That's my niece's birthday and my friend Alex Crawley's birthday. So Taurus is okay. But anyway, so a kid's calling nine one one. The woman's actually nice and proficient in her job. The kid's only three three and a half. That's a smart kid.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, I feel bad saying this, but like my kids don't know how to open my phone.
Speaker 4: So like if I was lying there on the ground.
Speaker 1: I don't like I always tell them if anything happens to us, go next door and get our neighbors, because they know our neighbors. But like, I don't think they would know they know nine one one, but I don't think they could use our phone.
Speaker 4: And we don't have landlines anymore. But you're know, the emergency calls.
Speaker 1: Go, but I have it, but they don't know how to, like, they don't know how to do that, right, Like even in a lock screen, you got like you got to get to the nine one one part.
Speaker 4: You need to get a house phone.
Speaker 3: I know, I know.
Speaker 2: All right, well let's get positive. Let's get positive where it's a good episode. It's a good horrific episode. So he goes, Mommy is asleep, won't wake up. It's just her. The big sister left. He's super cute, little blonde kid. He says, my big sister was mad and the woman's trying to locate him and she has like an area, but since it's a cell phone, it's it's taking a little bit again. Yeah, the house phones you can like find where someone is so yeah, he has blood on his hands and phone and he touches like a bloody body that's on the ground, and Olivia a Marre at the door. Sam opens the door, is a little mismatched pajamas. He's super cute, and the mom is like fuck rags all vibes, and Olivia takes Sam and he says she was sleeping, and then his mom and sister started fighting about a bad man taking his sister away. She comforts the boy and says she's gonna and then he's gonna be okay, and then she touches his face and it's the credits, and I feel like that's really quick for season thirteen. And season thirteen is like so wild to watch because it is such a transitional year. Like I don't know, it's really it's wild to think about. But anyways, they really have the big guns. I mean, we're gonna get to the guest stars in this but like, yeah, I'm trying to think of the others. I want to look through season thirteen and be like, what did they do to try to like woo the viewers besides Rowlin's and Tomorrow being so hot? But you know what I mean, Yeah, like I want to do a little thesis statement. Okay, So the little boy is sleeping in the hospital, Benson's tucking him in. The dad is on the way, and the mom is getting an MRI. So she's not dead, which is huge, and there's a giant gash on her head. But like the kid is under four and we can't really tell him what's up.
Speaker 4: This is wild.
Speaker 2: But he heard his mom and sister fighting, so like that's important. The dad, Jeff Avery, arrives. He is very loving towards his son. He's like, where's Kate but we don't know, and she's only sixteen. He can't get a hold of her either, because she was texting at breakfast and so he took her phone away. This is so season thirteen. There's no fucking way that would fly today. He would be actually murdered before anything happened that night, and so then tomorrow turns it quick and suspicious.
Speaker 1: Where were you tonight? And the dad's face like, you know, like make furrows? Is that a word? I wrote?
Speaker 4: Furrows? But brow?
Speaker 2: Yeah, your brows. He says he was with his sisters cleaning out his mom's apartment. She died last week from cancer, so he is having like a pretty tough week. I would say, yeah, couple, this is like terrible. And then he also screams, hello, my daughter is abducted. Send out an ambreller, and Benson's like, well, we can't do that since nobody actually saw her being taken. So poor guy, his wife's unconscious daughter is missing. Mom is dead. The son, you know, is good, but probably traumatized. Annie's proud of his young boy, so he says, maybe Angela Riva, like her best friend from kindergarten, has information, but you know, he doesn't know if she has a boyfriend or goes out later anything, but because she blocked him on all socials. So they leave, the dad with the son, and Benson and Amaro leave and we open up at Angela's house and the mom is there as well, and it's with Finn and Rollins, and the mom is like, ugh, she was our surrogate daughter. She was here every night. She never wanted to go home. Uh oh. She told Angela to stay away from her though she runs with a bad crowd. And her friend is like, no, Mom, I told you she's been different. She was at the library every night on the computer trying to turn her grades around, and then Finn and Rollins are like, Lol, that can't be true. So let's go to the library. The librarian's a fucking real one and is like get a fucking warrant. Pitch like, doesn't even try, and then Finn's like, uh, the Patriot Act and the librarian responds, oh, is she involved with terrorism now?
Speaker 4: And Rollin's threatens.
Speaker 2: With the FBI and wasting half a day, and It's like, what is a librarian so busy? If I was a library and I'd be like, waste my day, come back so shiny thing? You were like what like that's like not that wouldn't be a real threat to me, I think, But they do.
Speaker 4: They go, we need to find this girl, and.
Speaker 2: She's like, I just wish you cared about civil liberties and they're like we do, just like not right now, and then she goes, here are your terror cells information? And so in the past month she read the Hunger Games trilogy, okay, queen, and then two books on children who were born through sperm donation. Done done. So now it's a walk and talk. We got munch tomorrow. Benson. She's been missing fifteen hours, abducted or run away or what no hits on atm no new cell phone contacts and Finn and Rollins arrive and there with bead Wong. Oh my god, surprise, surprise. So Benson gives him a big huh. This was like this I used for one of our trivia questions when we went on the road years ago, and so like, I loved I like that we're doing this. I don't know if this means anything to you guys, but so he's in town for a convention and they asked if he can help out. He's all smiles. Benson asked how his assignment, and he goes, a single gay Chinese American man living in Oklahoma and opposed to the death penalty.
Speaker 4: It's heaven. So we love that. We love that.
Speaker 2: So we're gonna talk donor children, and he goes, it's a huge topic, but sperm banks protect donor confidentiality, but nobody really thought about how that affects the kids in the future because it's like a newer thing and like the kids can get fucked. So then Rollins finds a site where these types of people connect and Munch calls them Turkey based your children, and bid Wong goes artificial insemination and then okay, so that's why the mom and daughter were probably fighting. You know, she was looking for her roots. What is this about? And then Tomoro gets to news the mom is awake, perfect, we meet her. Her voice is so smoke or raspy. I really enjoy it. She's looking good after like truly a lot of trauma.
Speaker 1: Not even a bandage, not a scar, not a bruise, not a scratch, like, she looks fine.
Speaker 2: She says she just slipped and fell. And they're like, well, what's what's with the bad man? She blames his imagination. They're pushing her and they're like, you were fighting. You need to tell us what it's about. So Benson's like, listen, we know she was looking for donor relatives, so if she knew something like you obviously know, so what's what's up dramatic music? She goes, my husband can never know. Kate was conceived with donor sperm I found online and I guess she was. She was going to go meet him and she's like, no, you're not going. And then the daughter, Kate's like, I don't give a fuck. So that's what they thought about. And then twelve years later she actually used the same sample to have her son, and Benson's like, well, how did she find out? And you know, she's like, listen, I don't want my husband to know. But she was making a memory book for her grandmother going through old photo boxes. She found a medical card for the sperm bank and donor one for one.
Speaker 1: So that sucks. And then they leave and of course, like why do you even have to keep it again? Why did you keep that? Why did they explain why she is not telling her husband about that?
Speaker 2: Well, because maybe wanted that sperm he his sperm wasn't working, or maybe she thinks he's a loser.
Speaker 4: Like I don't know, Okay, I don't know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like that that's like even more interesting. And she's like, I'll be married to you, but like you're actually not really good DNA for this. No, I'm sure he was shooting blanks or something like I don't know.
Speaker 4: I guess I don't know. Yeah, why did I forgot? Like I just watched it, but I forgot.
Speaker 2: Or she did it to trap him, maybe like she got like he was actually careful and then she like went and did this to trap him.
Speaker 1: But then she has kids that are twelve years apart and she found the same sperms.
Speaker 2: Interesting, listen, this woman seems like a drunk, like I don't know, she just like been wasted making bad decisions. So they leave, and of course Tomorrow hates this family secret and the man not knowing because he's thinking about his wife whatever, like his wife lied to him and manipulated him, and Benson goes, shut up. So we get a hit on the debit card of the daughter twenty four dollars at a Lincoln Center cafe. So we see a denim jacket, swoop bang. Girl wired headphones into her cell phone and she's a bright orange case. She's listening to some old timy song which doesn't seem right, and then the cops arrive. Finn and Rollins are on the scene and they're like, your mom's looking for you, and she starts looking around and Rollin's goes, who are you expecting, sweetie. So we're in woodroom blinds. Benson and Rollins sit with the teen, trying to get to the bottom of what went down. She screams that she did nothing wrong, and Benson's like, babe, you left your three year old brother at home and your mom unconscious, So that tass you, and she says she was drinking and fell.
Speaker 4: That's not, you know, my fault.
Speaker 2: They don't care about me and I don't care about them, and it's like, what do you mean they don't care about you? She says, they lied to me my whole life, and they're like, your dad doesn't know. Actually, keep a secret. Jka mentioned keep this chill. Yeah, Benson goes, okay, but you're sixteen and you were gone all night with a man you met on the internet. And then at that moment, Munch brings in the dad and he is like so happy to see her, and she just says, oh, here to clean up another mess, dad, And then they leave and then my favorite thing happens Chinese takeout. So the thing is like Chinese takeout for me is such a like Sunday night or like celebratory like night time, like to do a working Chinese food lunch seems wild. Maybe they're just eating fried rice, but like am I head? I want orange chicken, I want an egg roll, and like that's not daytime hours for me.
Speaker 1: It's just too it feels heavy to do, Like I want to lay after I eat a lot of Chinese food, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I know there's other kinds that are lighter. This is like, yeah, what they're eating, I know what it is, and it's low main and I don't know how like are they all going into the you know, bunk bedroom for a nap after?
Speaker 4: I just don't get it.
Speaker 1: But a work in Chinese takeout munch is really crazy, and let's do It's like, Okay, we're in advertising.
Speaker 4: It's ten PM and we have to pull an all night.
Speaker 1: Or like let's fuck up our lives, like yeah, but not mid investigation. It does feel like nighttime food. Yeah, it feels like we got to go through all these files. We need this. But Craigan wants these d D fives on his desk like it's nighttime.
Speaker 2: Or it's like, listen, we're gonna watch college basketball all day if that's your thing.
Speaker 4: You know what I mean.
Speaker 2: But the playan can't be like we're going to do this and solve a crime and then maybe go out on a date after. So they're looking at footage from the cafe and then Benson goes up to like the projectory video and she's holding the takeout in her hand and I just love it. And so then so then Benson goes, this guy's clearly a professional because like they're you know, like his back to the camera the whole time, and then as soon as she charged the coffees, he got up to leave. And Rollin's has been trolling the sperm Donor forum and has found four other girls posting about donor. One for one Rollin's messy bun one of the best I've ever seen, award worthy. I would put it in the top five nominations of the whole series. It's like so good. And then one girl from Baltimore writes, like, I went to NYC to meet my donor dad, and like, I encourage all of you to do it. He's the best. And I'm like, oh, it's weird. They're all girls. That's so weird. Yeah, it's so weird. Not a boy, Okay. Munch sends the men to charm City and then sends the women detectives to the sperm bank. And they're like, you're sending us to the sperm bank. They're not gonna give us anything, like we don't have enough for a warrant and confidentiality, And he leans in and he goes, I'm sure you two can think of something and what he's thinking is lesbian roleplay. Yes, so baby, they go in and as like a gay ass couple and Benson's cousin use the sperm bank and their daughter Brook is just lovely amazing, so they want to use the same sperm, share some jeans, and the woman at the bank says, like it happens all the time. So then they say Brook is seventeen, and she's like, babe, we might not have that sperm, but I'll check and it's donor one for one, ding ding ding. They ran out five years ago. He was very popular. They asked to see the profile and she agrees. She's like, maybe we can look at it and pick someone close to him. Doesn't give a fuck. They're acting's top notch. So we find other girls. So we go see Ashley Riggs. She has bangs. Ryan Shane did the pod right, Yeah, yeah, yeah. So she's in two other SVUS season nineteen and twenty three, and she's.
Speaker 4: Been just messed up.
Speaker 1: She's a Carresi, a cares Nisi. She's niece Caresy. Oh my god, she's niece Cresy. But this is her first appearance on the show.
Speaker 4: So here it's different.
Speaker 2: The mom knows they connected and vibed like they were emailing. The mom's all for it, and she went with her theater group to a Memorial Day weekend school trip to NYC, and it just worked to meet up. And then doctor Baker is a she says, but he has his own family that can't know about me. But he's one of the best doctors in New York ex vivo lung transplants. Okay, he saves lives, He feels close to God when he holds their life in his hands. Is like something that he says that she repeats, but she's like, I've only met him that one time. And then she clearly lies because she's like, well, I just met him that one time. Between Broadway shows. We saw Phanom of the Opera, and tomorrow goes, who I guess loves Broadway, tests her and tries to catch her in a lie and brings up a les Mis reference about going to jail for stealing like a loaf of bread. Yeah, and she goes, I loved that part. So then she goes and she has a fucking baby. She's a teen mom dramatic music, so everyone's very supportive. So that's going They're like who's the dad, and the grandma is like, oh god, that Joey, Like fuck, you know, he's a kid, He's shy, sickly, everyone bullies him. I would have never thought I had to worry about this loser. Baby's three months old and tomorrow uses his own tissue to steal DNA from the baby.
Speaker 1: And I love a sneak. I mean this episode of his nose, they get a little booger out of the out of a I love a sneaky DNA retrieval. I love a takeout.
Speaker 2: I love a messy bunn, I love munch being a pervert. Like this episode does have everything. I feel like Stephan. I feel like Stephan's the number one character and I wouldn't even I think I've mostly watched it online.
Speaker 4: But it does make me laugh more than anything. It's the funniest character. I love Steffan.
Speaker 1: Anytime you're doing a list of like three things that are out of place, you're like, stuff on. Yeah, Yeah, it has everything.
Speaker 2: So the detectives leave after they got the DNA and they're like, do the math, and basically the donor dad baby nine months later, like the donor Dade and the bio daughter incest fucked, Like, I mean, the ship is fucked. So bed Wong's like, okay, it could be a predator or it could just be.
Speaker 1: Genital sorry, general sexual attraction. Genetic sexual attraction one of our favorite topics on this podcast, which I'm.
Speaker 2: Going to get into more later. I did research this. I can't fucking wait.
Speaker 5: Wait.
Speaker 2: Who did we recently have on as a guest And we were like, they asked about our favorite episodes and we were like, well, the incess that she kept killing the babies and couldn't promise not And it's like, it's so crazy what we did.
Speaker 4: But you know what fucked me up? Was it?
Speaker 1: It was somebody asking what's your favorite episodes? I think it's the guy from this episode we talk. I think it's in this episode.
Speaker 4: Actually, oh yeah, I think it's this episode.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you'll see who it is.
Speaker 4: Okay, but I, oh, you know what fucked me up?
Speaker 1: And I keep bringing it up and people really don't like it. And I brought it up at dinner a few nights ago. Is the Green River Killer? Oh, people are don't want to hear about that.
Speaker 2: Him bearing the bodies and bringing dates and fucking the dates on a blanket on top of the dead body is something that it's gonna stick with me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I bet at a party, people are not really wanting to hear that.
Speaker 2: No. I was like putting a tentacle of octopus in my mouth as I was casually telling everyone about that.
Speaker 1: There's really hard. I feel bad eating octopi.
Speaker 2: And then I also, I fucking I don't even remember his name, but the crime I covered where he like took the two girls to teach them a lesson and was a cop and like hung them by nooses and raped them and he only got six months, like because it was.
Speaker 4: Like, that's been fucked for me.
Speaker 2: But the Green River killer with the blanket of it all, Yeah, yeah, because that's some sick ass shit. But that's Jimmy side because like it really reminds me of the con Air Steve Bushami character where it's like, hmm, this is him a psycho killer in the movie quote this is not how I feel. But he goes, oh, all the greats they did it for passion and fun, you know, not for.
Speaker 4: Need or whatever.
Speaker 2: I don't know, M Like, I guess no one knows if a date has brought them to a place where they've buried a body underneath.
Speaker 4: You thought you had a great picnic.
Speaker 2: He's fucking yeah, chilling out, getting a rock hard thinking about the dead woman below like a nightmare. All right, we're back. And then I wonder if Benson, munch Huang and Finn were like, whoa wait, do you remember that redheaded girl who kept killing the babies and fucked her dad? Like I wonder if they reminisced off camera.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're like, we've seen this, We've seen.
Speaker 2: This, like as DETECTI like they must be like remember that other time, Like I've never seen that unless it's like so pivotal to.
Speaker 4: The crime they're solving in that episode.
Speaker 2: We don't really get reflections back er chats, and I would love if they were one time being like, you know, this really reminds me of that, uh the other I don't just for us, but I guess that'd be like alienating to some viewers. Okay, so all right whatever, blah blah blah, we gotta find him. So obviously, I don't know what x vivo means. It reminds me of a brand of paper towels, but the.
Speaker 1: Ex Vivo lung transplants, it's like a technique where like, you keep a lung in a certain condition so that it's in better like to be transplantable, Like I obviously just googled it, but it's like, you keep the lung outside the body at normal temperature so that you can recondition it before transplantation. And it significantly expands the donor pool by making previously unusable or marginal lungs safer transplant.
Speaker 4: So it makes lung transplants more readily available, which is good, yeah for sure.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but it's a very seems very fucking specific, so specific, but yeah.
Speaker 2: So they find him easily, Colin Barnes, MD. So they watch a video of him and he says the exact quote about being close to God in the same ways that Ashley did it. So we make a house call. They go to Colin and Annie Barnes home, but they're having a big part. The mom's holding a tiny baby, the dad's wearing a tie that's very spring and it's an event and they bring up the sperm daughter stuff and he's like, it's a mistake and Benson goes, well, you got to clear it up. Then we see Taylor, a teen daughter in a pink dress, come by. She's really blonde, debutant vibes and what neighborhood. I wish I kept looked at the address more. But I'm curious where they live because it looks like such a giant, sprawling home.
Speaker 1: The Barnes Home. Yeah, like, hold on, I'll find it. Hold one sec from the episode or from the wiki. Well, the wiki has all of the the bombs, they have all the things. They're so apartment of home of Colin, of Colin and Ann Barnes five two six Arlington Avenue so fully made up.
Speaker 4: I don't think that's.
Speaker 2: Like it looks Connecticut to me, you know, like it look it didn't look like the city in any way.
Speaker 1: Oh so maybe they are because that's there's no Arlington Avenue in New York.
Speaker 5: No.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but like I know, the Bronx has big houses like I don't.
Speaker 4: Like in the Bronx.
Speaker 1: Actually, so they might live like up, I bet they live in the Bronx Riverdale. Fuck.
Speaker 4: Yeah, gotta figured that out. That makes sense. Yep, do you guys use ai?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 4: I wouldn't be able to figure that out.
Speaker 2: No, they wouldn't be able to figure out where Annie and Colin Barnes live okay, so, and he's being like, you know, he whatever. He's like reassuring his daughter, he's being an affectionate father. But the detective's eyebrows go up and they're like, we're intement room bars.
Speaker 4: So the guy's pissed off.
Speaker 2: He goes, I donated sperm on the condition of anonymity, and Benson goes, okay, you've never contacted any of the sperm kids. He says no, and my wife doesn't even know and I would never agree to meet anybody. And Tomorrow goes, okay, well, why is there a room charge at the Empire Hotel under your credit card? And he's like, I don't even have a MasterCard. What is this? So Benson throws down the photos of the girls and like what they said about meeting this like Vivo lung guy, and somebody is trying extraor he goes, someone's trying extra money. And if any girl says she met me, she's lying. Amorrow plays red pill guy like, oh yeah, for sure, these dumb sluts, they're always lying and so but it doesn't really matter. The lawyer comes in, No more games. It's a ballbuster. Woman curls, she shuts it down, like get the fuck out of here. We go straight to the lineup and none of the girls I d him, So what the fuck is happening? She goes, these men are too old and my guy had better eyes, Like, well, you know what's going on? So they do a team meeting in the squad and the wife, Alibi, is him as well. So Munch goes, okay, and he seems like busy, Like how would you find the time to like seduce all these children and find them and like have surgery. But like the pedophiles really like they persevere, you know what I mean. It seems like they have a lot of jobs and find ways to really travel and commit crimes. So but he has like such a god complex. Maybe he's like, let's pack my calendar. So he says the card isn't his, but the mailing address is for the card.
Speaker 4: Is a PO box a block from his hospital.
Speaker 2: So we're still also waiting for the DNA from the baby tissue and what if he is telling the truth, what's going on?
Speaker 4: And who the fuck met these girls? How about that question?
Speaker 2: So we have the first girl there and she's like, I'm not protecting anybody, like what the fuck? And Benson goes, okay, but we know for a fact Donor one four one was in there, so someone else met you. And she's like, that can't be and Benson goes that man is not your biological father. She says, but we look alike. They don't at all. So yeah, if you're not someone that watches SF, you you just listen to us. I'd like to let you know these people do not look alike. So then she says everything he told me match the profile. Benson leans in, what else did he tell you and that he'd been trying to contact her for years and that her dumb bitch mom wouldn't let him, you know, blame the mom. Good idea. And now Huang's with the blonde girl. There's a few blonde girls. This isn't Taylor. It's like another random girl. And so he runs. She's like, yeah, he ran marathons and I do cross country and like it makes sense because of our genes, and Huang like, well, maybe you post about cross country on your social media and he saw that, and now it cuts to our bang mom, you know, like the girl in theater, and she goes, no, we connected and Amar and she's with tomorrow and again same story. He always wanted to meet me, and he asks when, then, why did he give you a fake name? And she doesn't have an answer, but she says, you're wrong. And when I saw him, I just knew. I knew that was the dad I had dreamed of. And he treated me like a grown up. And they spoke French together, and Tomorrow asked what happened after dinner, and yeah, they went back to a hotel.
Speaker 4: They danced.
Speaker 2: She knew it was wrong, but they fucked, and she is the he is the baby daddy, so.
Speaker 1: Right, they didn't fuck, it was right. Yeah, weird, this is bad. This is twisted, for sure, It's very twisted. This is a twisted as this is one of the most fucking weird episodes.
Speaker 4: Wrote this one which one of our freaks wrote this one.
Speaker 1: Casting crew were in light and then John Paul Roche.
Speaker 4: Oh doesn't he do all the crazy ones? I don't know. I feel the other girl. A lot of them are. It's like we're like they do. He's written thirty eight episodes.
Speaker 1: That's cool, John Paul Roche, Oh, No, twenty six, he wrote twenty six episodes. Oh, he did double strands, which I like.
Speaker 2: That's some twin bike, spider tattoos, hunting ground, one of our most haunting yep, Father Dearest, and then a lot in season fourteen.
Speaker 4: I don't know these as much.
Speaker 2: Monsters legacy, Oh funny Valentine, that's the Chloe seven y one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, Vanity's bompfire like we've done a bunch of these.
Speaker 4: Oh, girl dishonored.
Speaker 1: He wrote, I'm traumatic Wound, which we haven't done yet, but that's the one about the The girl is from New Canaan and she gets hurt, assaulted at a concert but saved by an army veteran. Yeah, and then yeah, this guy's done a lot of them thirteen fourteen, fifteen, Oh and voices, He wrote, that's the one with Billy. He's our guy, Billy, Yeah, I don't know if he's our guy. I mean I like him. Yeah. Okay, So we're back to one of the girls.
Speaker 2: They're cumming back and forth between the detectives and the girls, and it's like he knew me. I wanted to be with him. They spent all weekend together, they danced, it was so romantic. He said, they can never see each other again, but they'll always be in each other's hearts Jesus Christ. So the og Girl tells Benson that he dreamt to walk her down the aisle one day and do a first dance with her to a song called My One and Only Love, and it's a song that he played for her, and she admits they kissed and like she knew people wouldn't understand me being with my father like that, but I didn't care. And then she's like, wait, hold on, So if it wasn't my dad, like what the fuck. And Benson does feel bad for her, but I think it's better that, like, I'm glad it wasn't your dad, Like, yeah, I'm sorry you've been assaulted and lied to, and it's like such a tricky, fucked up thing, but like, I'm glad you're it wasn't right.
Speaker 4: You just honestly got bamboozled.
Speaker 2: So she runs into her the dad that raised her arms her dad, her real dad, and cries and goes, I'm sorry, daddy.
Speaker 1: He says it's okay. They walk off together. I think I'll be fine.
Speaker 2: Colin Barnes is spurned daddy to all of them, but not to Ashley's baby, So that means this, yeah, you know what that means so then so that dad is not in the system, so that's fucked up. So someone posed as this stonor one for one and then raped all these girls. So then at Marrow goes he knows how to seduce, and Huang goes, no, he knows who to seduce. And two of those girls fantasized their whole life about the father they never knew. And then the other girl just found out about her dad wasn't her bio dad and is like desperate for her father's love. And all of them are vulnerable when they met him, so their inhibitions just disappeared, says Huang. And this isn't like, this is like not genetic family love, this isn't stat rape.
Speaker 4: She's like this, this is socio.
Speaker 2: This is so abap psycho dark dark dark like it's more twisted than these other things. I guess if we're comparing the twists. Okay, so we need to go back and talk to the doctor. Does he have enemies who would want to destroy him like this? So when we get to the Barnes home, the blonde daughter is screaming at them, running out. She's disgusted by her father. She calls her dad sick. How many kids do you have? One hundred more? I could be dating my own brother, Jesus. So she's enraged. She runs out of the house. The wife is like, she's right, what were you thinking. The cops arrive right at this moment, and he's like, you've done enough damage, get the fuck out of here. And Tomorrow goes, this is a great quote. Hey, you need to know someone has raped your donor daughters and did it in your own name. It's one of the craziest lines.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So the wife goes, oh my god. So they go into the office to figure this out and all the enemies. He's like, everyone loves me. I'm highly esteemed and I'm incredible. People respect me, and my patients worship me. And then the wife goes, what about Philip Kelly? And then he calls him a hack? And it's basically a surgeon. Colin fired a year ago. Colin saw his handshake while pouring a ginger ale at a party last year, which is an obvious intention tremor.
Speaker 4: Okay, so he got fired. He didn't take it well.
Speaker 2: Colin is like, listen, we went to med school together, so I bet he thought I would like, look the other way.
Speaker 4: But I can't.
Speaker 2: You can't have a tremor and you can't do these operations like go fuck yourself. You've been fired. So they go to Flannery's bar and Phili is sitting there and they're like, where were you? And he's pulling an all night shift at the hospital, like in the prison. So it's very death becomes her. Bruce willis you know what I mean? Like, yeah, yeah, he's in the prison working nights, and he goes, you can check with my son of a bitch supervisor. I mean, he clearly has a drinking problem. So then they bring up Barnes, Oh, the bastard that ruined my career, sanctimonious prick and I know what that word means because of Taylor Swift thinks. So Rolin sees him shake and he's like, well look at you shaking. He goes, yeah, but I was on meds. I had it under control. And he like, sure, but you did shake, and he goes, whatever, I was drunk at my own birthday, Like I can't shake a little fuck. He also is like, don't worry, I'm not the only one. Like everyone hates him, like, have fun trying to figure out who hates him the most. He's like, I knew about the sperm donating because he bragged about it to anyone that would listen, And clearly this is a red herring, Like I don't know what else to say, but he's like, listen, I know you had a daughter, and I did hear that the daughter talked to some guy complaining about how much she hates her dad. And so now we meet James Vanderbeek, and now we know why everyone wants to fuck their father. So yeah, you kind of see James Vanderbeek like listen, yeah, if you're like a kid, yeah, and rested. He he's literally like a teen heart throb.
Speaker 1: But I had a.
Speaker 2: Dawson's Creek bucket hat and I had the calendar, like I don't know, but I also loved Don't Trust to Be An Apartment twenty three, as did I. Yeah, Eric Andre did like a really lovely tribute to James Vanderbeek when he passed. Yeah, and it's sad he's no longer with us, but he's so hot and all of it makes sense when you see it, Like it's kind of like the Will Sasso Dad one where they're like thank god, my dad's not a garbage man.
Speaker 4: I knew it.
Speaker 1: And it's like kind of like this where they're like, oh wow, love my dad. I mean, I was not a Dawson's Creek person.
Speaker 4: I don't know why.
Speaker 1: I just like wasn't watching it but him and don't trust the bee. Like I really feel like that's where I like fell in love with him because he was so funny.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and like not self serious, you know, I mean like yeah, and then the memes, like I feel like he leaned into the memes.
Speaker 4: Oh my god, Varsity Blues. I think that movie meant That's.
Speaker 1: One I was a big one in the freshman year of college.
Speaker 4: Well yeah, I was in West Tech.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, and it was the whip Cream Bikini. I think was like pivotal sexual moment for a lot of people. I would say, who was that Ali Larder, Yeah, Casey's nodding furiously. That movie was hot as fuck and I watched it and they didn't. Yeah, I don't want your live Wait, this is psychotic. Ali Larder and Amy Smart in this movie. They're similar, Yeah they are. They're like the Bill Paxton, Bill Pullman or Dylan mcrooney and John mc whatever, McDermott or whatever it is, Rupert who cares, Dylan mulroney.
Speaker 1: And Dermott Dermott m Dylan McDermott and Dermot mulrooney. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Amy Smart is in a really horrific s view, one of the most damaging, and I would want her on the pod. Oh shit, I forget her episode. This is serendipitous. We need her because I also love the movie rat Race. It is a race, but also the Rules of Attraction was a meant a lot to me as well. I don't know if that's something that you watched. Nope, never seen that. Yeah, it was like a like, what's her name? She's in a Shannon Sassimon's in it as well. Whatever, we gotta get Shannon, and we gotta get all these people on our pod. Yeah, come on the pod, guys, if you're friends with any of these people, let him know. Scott con would be fucking good in a s fe Okay, let's get back. But anyways, James Vanderbeek is dancing slowly with Taylor, the doctor's daughter, and she's talking about her dad, you know, And the song that was mentioned earlier, My One and Only Love is playing it's an old timey song. She's like, my dad's been lying to me my whole life. Everyone's a liar. I needed to get the fuck out of there. And he caresses her hair and says, don't worry, you're with me now. They dance slowly, Taylor's smiling, his arm goes lower. Uh oh, but I did write James Vanderbeek is hot again. Okay, So Benson and Finn are at but I think he's hotter here than Dawson's Creek.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'd like to say that he's hot or grown up. Yeah, yeah, one hundred percent.
Speaker 2: And then Benson and Finn are at the Barnes home again and he's flipping out about his missing daughter, who he knows doesn't have a boyfriend because she's busy and she's pre met early acceptance to Brown and Benson goes, Okay, wow, seems like a lot of pressure, and he goes she thrives on it. Taylor would never run away, she would never hurt me. She's too mature, and something terrible is happening, and it's like everything can be true, and no one likes you like you truly are a menace. And if you didn't save people's lives, you'd be dead in a ditch. So the mom is with Amorro and rollins and Omaro opens the laptop in Taylor's room. The jazz song that we just heard them dancing to is on this laptop, and the mom goes, she hates jazz. She would never fucking listen to this, but someone emailed her the song yesterday, and she goes, well that is strange. But she goes, but I haven't heard this song in years. And they're like, you know it because it's not like it's Rihanna, you know what I mean. It is a weird jazz number. And she goes, yeah, I dated at Cornell. This guy Sean. He played it all the time. So obviously ding ding ding Sean when you see him?
Speaker 4: Does he know your daughter? What's right? Not out?
Speaker 2: She goes, oh my god, that Phillip that birthday party with the sheiks Taylor talked to a man that could have been Sean.
Speaker 1: She's like, fuck, Sean could have her. And so now they're at the precinct and the dad has been such a dick, like why haven't you picked him up yet?
Speaker 4: And they're like, well, he does medical sales. So he travels a lot.
Speaker 2: In his apartment is empty and we're trying and there's no GPS on his phone because he turned it off, and we do know that the jazz song was sent from his email, so we're on it and the dad's telling and then even his lawyers like, you need to take it easy. So they're like, is there a reason he wants to hurt you? He goes, we barely knew him. He's a loser, and he's jealous, and Tomorrow goes, I don't think this is like general jealousy. This seems pretty personal and they dated, but maybe he thinks Colin stole him away. Rollin puts up something on the screen. It's an article, and he goes, oh, fuck, I do remember this. The title of the article is Mcat's Scandal at Cornell and he was caught cheating, so basically he was taking the test for someone else. Colin saw James Vanderbeek sitting there and was like, well, I already knew you took the test.
Speaker 4: What are you doing.
Speaker 2: He goes, oh, I'm making three hundred fifty dollars and Bensa goes, so you blew the whistle and he goes yeah, and I'm proud of that. The thing is like, he is a tattletale, a loser, like all of these things. But I don't want any doctor cheating on the m cat right, So I don't, like, I don't know, you should take your.
Speaker 1: Tests yourself, like if you're gonna be treating patients.
Speaker 4: But also this guy needs to lie about her.
Speaker 2: And James Vanderubek could have been like, oh there was an error, or like they're letting me take it again or I signed up twice like whatever, like why yeah, whatever, So he's caught cheating everyone whatever. So Sean starts texting the mom he wants to see her. The dad says that's ridiculous, and the mom goes, no, it's not. If I don't see him, it says, I will never see Taylor again.
Speaker 5: Fuck.
Speaker 2: And also I think the mom's gonna divorce the dad after this episode. I think it's divorce city. So James Vanderbeek has flowers. He's at a like a beestro place and Rollins and Finn come in and they arrest him and he's like, I only want to talk to Anne. So he's in cement room. Bars Tomorrow and Menson are like trying to chat with him again. He's like, I'm only going to talk to Ann. I'm only going to talk to Anne. Benson goes, well, you have Taylor, and so you hold all the cards, so like, we'll do whatever you want.
Speaker 1: And he goes, well, I don't have Taylor. She's right where she wants to be. I didn't take her anywhere.
Speaker 2: And he says, she obviously needs me right now and we have a connection, and he calls her beautiful and special and says, I swear it was like I was looking at Anne.
Speaker 4: Okay. So now we go to this spy mirror room full as hell.
Speaker 2: Everyone's in there, and Colin's likeugh, enough with this bullshit. And Huang's like, well, the detectives know what they're doing, empathy projection. They're getting him to talk, like, shut the fuck up. Fuck, I've never felt less bad for someone whose daughter is missing, you know what I mean. So Anne's holding back tears. She's so stressed and now she knows she has to leave her husband and she's hoping that she has a good prenup. So he's so he says, Colin wants his daughter on a shelf like a trophy. But I really saw her for who she was, and Benson goes, so you gave her attention, like the attention you gave you know these other donor daughters and he gets up and I think they're really like I think this is the moment he realizes they know more that it's not just about Taylor and that he's been impregnanty in the others like did you get that impression too?
Speaker 1: I'm just like, I'm his motive is very confusing to me, Like, I know, we're going to find out that it's like, you know that it's a bit of a revenge thing on this one guy, But I don't understand why you would if you're not just like a predator or were those girls warm up so that you could get to know girls so that you could ultimately seduce the daughter Like Taylor was like, well.
Speaker 2: Well he talks about it because he said he felt so bad for her, and then he was like, I bet I feel bad for all these other abandoned women. Okay, well he hasnt simple. Yeah, I'm not trying to make sense of this. But all doctor, if you're a say yeah you have a god complex, Yeah you do. It's like a pilot you have to yeah, but like okay, yeah, there are no surgeons that are normal humans, like there I know, but that like you would translate your god complex into like I need to like groom these underage girls and then impregnate them. That's like a very big James van la Week is so hot. I'm like defending this predator. Yeah, like you don't understand, actually, Karen, you don't know surgeon culture.
Speaker 4: Yeah. So wait.
Speaker 2: I feel like once he's like the detective, Benson goes, so you gave her attention, like the attention you gave his other daughters, the donor daughters, and so he gets I think this is the moment he realizes they even know about any of that. Like, I think he thinks he's only there about Taylor. And then this is the moment they're like, we know you rape other girls.
Speaker 1: Like you're fucking shy, Like I think he like, I think this is when he realizes he fucked.
Speaker 4: But he looks out the cell windows. He admits to all of it.
Speaker 2: He's like, I remembered about his sperm donations and seeing how lonely Taylor was at the party made me think how lonely the other sperm daughters were right, but not the guys for sure, not the boys.
Speaker 1: But they don't need a dad.
Speaker 2: So marrow Egziman being like, I'm also a hot asshole freak, Like, let's connect. He's like he had a hundred kids out there, and he didn't think for one second how lonely those kids must have been. He's like, the emotions were so strong, like I just knew they needed more in a father's love, so I gave them what they needed. I was a better father than he ever was. And he doesn't deserve daughters or a family. He realizes they're watching, he goes, wait are they behind there? And then the score is very, very good, the music's dramatic, and then he's like, so he knows Anne is there, so they go, okay, go talk to her, and he starts speaking through the mirror. He doesn't deserve you, Anne, And to me, I'm like, you dodged a bullet, like you do have bad taste in men, but like this guy, I guess is worse than the guy you ended up with. But like, I wonder if she grew up in a home that really pushed her to get married young, Like I don't know why she had to end up with one of these guys, marry a doctor, like these guys suck, and she seems kind of fun, like I don't know. So he goes up super close to the mirror and he goes, I will never forget seeing you at that party. And then it's a serious face and he goes, you're you were pregnant glowing. So he's like a breeder too, like all the sperm stuff and the connected like, yeah, to look at the pregnant woman and he did you know, impregnant one of the girls. And he goes, you smiled right at me and and he goes, you said you were so blessed that this was your miracle, baby, No miracles for me. I never found the right one. And it's like, I think you're still seeming young.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you were spending a lot of time grooming teenagers that you could have just been on hinge, you know what I mean, Like I think you could still find her.
Speaker 2: You could have been on a hinge instead of the sperm donor family. You were doing a lot of like undercover recon weird plotting.
Speaker 1: And yeah, you could just be dating. So he goes, I've never met the right one. Till now your daughter Taylor.
Speaker 2: He says he will tell her where her daughter is, but he wants to see her first, and for her daughter, she'll do everything. And they do a really cool shot where like he turns around slowly and then he looks at her and then we see her in the mirror behind him but standing by the window.
Speaker 4: Does that make sense? It was like a cool spinny.
Speaker 2: Shot that I yeah. And she's doing what needs to happen to get Taylor back. She says sorry, She's doing what she needs to do. She says, sorry for hurting you. He's like, well, I have a favor, and she's like anything, anything you want, and he puts a finger to her lips then brushes her hair back and he loves it, and he wants one dance. They never got to dance, and she always said next time. So did they date or did they not dance or did they dance? Like, I don't get what's happening, so whatever, She's like sure. So he also wants the husband to walk. She's He's like, I want your husband, the doctor to watch. I want him to feel what it's like to see you with another man. And then I guess they brought in a boom box ready for him with his favorite song.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's like twenty twelve, but I don't think anyone really has like a phone.
Speaker 2: No, he truly bends over and presses the button on a like. I was like, oh, yeah, this is weird that they would Okay, they had it ready. They have a boombox, the boom box that song or was it a laptop? Like I don't even think they have the lab. It's so crazy to me. But whatever, they do what they have to do. So they dance at my one and only plays he sings it to her ear. She looks o she's like in pure fear and anguish, and he's like, I've dreamed of this forever. I've dreamed of giving away my daughter at her wedding. And she's like that's so sweet, like maybe that'll happen, and he goes, no for our daughter, and then he goes but Colin gets to do that instead of me with Taylor, and so they're still dancing. She's such a good actress, like holy shit, and then he says there's a problem and what and then he whispers something in her ear and she starts screaming no, no, no, no, no, and starts hitting him, and so then Benson holds her back. Tomorrow takes the guy, James Vanderbeek, and then the husband wants in. Finn holds him back. He's panicked, and then he begs and then she comes out he killed her, He killed her. She keeps repeating and then goes into her husband's arms, and now it's like precinct time, like why the fuck would he kill the daughter? And then something clicks for Benson. He goes She's like, oh my god, Taylor is special. We've been looking at Empire and West Side hotels. We need to look on the east side at nicer hotels. I think the west Side might have some nice ones. Like I don't know, it's strange, but the Empire Hotel where like the first credit card was found or whatever, that's where a lot of Dexter resurrection is. That's where Harrison works, and it's very exciting, so that they find the better hotel.
Speaker 4: Taylor is alive.
Speaker 2: She's alive. She's in a row in bed, so this is great. And Benson's like, Sean told your parents you were dead, and she's like, you're lying. He would never do that, and Sean is my real dad. He told me the truth, and Benson's like nope, and then tomorrow throw's clothes at and goes get dressed, like relax, but she screams, no, I want Sean, I want my father.
Speaker 4: I want him. She's so mad, like the therapy this family will need.
Speaker 2: And then that's dick well baby, it's just like her being manipulated as fucked, like believing everything this guy said and hat and.
Speaker 1: Like it's weird. He's like he did all of this for this woman, and then he just wanted to hurt her at the end with the lying about killing her, like he just wanted to stick it to her. I don't know, sick motherfucker. Yeah, for sure, for sure. It's a It's one of the most wild plots. It's extremely loosely borrowed from real stories, because nothing this crazy could happen I feel in real life. I mean we've said that, and then we've found the stories that are like identical, but like this one and this one is nuts to go after, Like there could be a guy who's a sperm donor who I could see going later and reconnecting with all his sperm donor daughters and having sex with them. But I don't see you doing it as a revenge to get back for your college girlfriend whose husband called you in for cheating and for having a tremor, like both things. This guy had it out for you. Anyway, let's get into genetic sexual attraction phenomenon or okay, so the genetics attraction. I want a T shirt that says that genetic sexual attraction.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm gonna get that. Don't wear it at home.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So, genetic sexual attraction is a hypothesis that people can be attracted to one another based on their genetics similarities.
Speaker 4: That's one part of it.
Speaker 1: Like there are people that can be attracted to people that like look like them, that have genetic similarities to them. But then it also describes this phenomenon of people who are biologically related being separated and then feeling intense feelings in sexual attraction when contact is restored. This term was popularized in the US in the late eighties by Barbara Gaugno, founder of truth Seekers in Adoption, a Chicago support group for adoptees. Is she a doctor? Is she a scientist? No, She's a woman who established contact with her own son after giving him up for adoption and felt sexual feelings towards him, but he did not feel them back, and he got the fuck away from her.
Speaker 2: And so she just created this whole syndrome to make it okay that she wanted to fuck her son.
Speaker 1: Apparently it had been a little bit discussed in like the seventies, but like there are like no papers about this, like according to my research, there's like.
Speaker 4: Neil Beart, like what.
Speaker 2: The fuck, Yeah, I thought about this so often in public as a fact that like, what do you mean it's just some incest bitch that came up with it.
Speaker 1: Well, this is interesting, this is interesting. Let me tell you, Let me tell you. So this woman had yeah, feelings, he did not want that.
Speaker 4: So okay.
Speaker 1: Others have found that this phenomenon occurs. And notice my use of the word phenomenon. It's not a syndrome, it's not a disorder. It's a phenomenon, okay, phenomenomenon, a femininenomenon.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 1: So others have found that it occurs because of physical separation of relatives. The attraction to biological relatives separated at a young age occurs because it prevents the Western mark effect from happening. So the wester Mark effect is also known as reverse sexual imprinting, and it's the psychological hypothesis again hypothesis that people are usually not attracted to people with that they live with before the age of six because the body, like dessense, it tizes to biologically related people as a natural way to avoid incest and inbreeding. So like you grow up with your brothers around you, or cousins or your father, and you don't develop those feelings because they're around you and you get desensitized to them as a sexual being. But the reason that this happens is because people get reconnected after years and years and they were not together in those times. So another suggested explanation for the phenomenon is possible narcissistic feelings. Catherine mccaskell and adoption and sexual abuse experts suggested that genetic sexual attraction cases occur when a reunion is unplanned and the parties are not adequately adequately prepared for the reunion. So like, if you're a person that's going to go like meet your biological father or mother whoever, and that's this they're the same gender that you're attracted to, I guess you should there should be like therapy, like there should be you know, like prepairing for.
Speaker 4: That to happen, a moderator or something.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh yeah, and like just not just like I looked them up on a chat room and I'm going to visit him in New York City, Like you know that's not well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because he was grooming that you know, yeah, he was doing other stuff. But you're right, like, if you're gonna do this, get some you know planning. Yeah, yeah, totally, yeah, because you know, you build it up in your head too, like meeting this person.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So there was another guy named Eric Anderson, a sociologist and sexologist who wrote in his book called The Monogamy Gap, Men, Love, and the Reality of Cheating that there really isn't enough research on.
Speaker 4: Genetic sexual attraction. And his book was what were you about to say? Genitals? Probably His book.
Speaker 1: Was published in twenty twelve, the same year that this episode came out, and at that time he goes, he goes, there's like one academic research paper on this subject, and he said it was filled with quote unquote Freudian psychobabble. So that's just like, I mean, that's one guy's opinion. A lot of other experts have also called genetic sexual attracture to pseudoscience, and there is really not a lot of heart events about it anywhere. Salon published an article about this by Amanda Marcott, which was in reaction to press coverage of this case in New Mexico. And this is in twenty sixteen, so this is since the episode four years after about this woman named Monica Mares, who at thirty six years old, reunited with her son Caleb Peterson nineteen.
Speaker 4: They lived in the same town in New Mexico, which is crazy.
Speaker 1: She had given him up for adoption as a teen, and they began a sexual relationship that was reported to law enforcement, and they decided to fight it. They were like, we're in love, we need We're going to go against We'll go to any lengths to stay together. This woman is the mother to nine other children and said she would go to prison and give up seeing any of her other kids if it meant being with Caleb, who she claimed to be madly in love with. And incests is a crime in all fifty states. It's just, you know, it depends on the I thought, if it's your over, if you're like of age, you can you can do it. I mean it's it's a crime, but the punishment's vary. So so you know, like so.
Speaker 4: Mona legal.
Speaker 2: I thought, well, just in an SVU and Taboo, they say how it's legal like in New Jersey or whatever if like you're both consenting adults.
Speaker 4: Oh they do.
Speaker 2: Okay, Well the article I was reading, I mean, but that there's time in between. But in my heat, I always thought that, like if you're of age, you can do incest. They vary widely between jurisdictions. Oh hi, in New Jersey and Rhode Island, incest between consenting adults sixteen or over for RhoD Island, eighteen and over for New Jersey is not a criminal offense, though marriage is not allowed in either state. I mean, I'm sorry for a pothead, Like I really kill it in terms of like I remember the state.
Speaker 1: Yeah you did remember that. Yeah, incests is criminalized between In all but two states, incests is criminalized between consenting adults. So you're right RhE Island and New Jersey, which those are not two that I thought would be the ones, but they are, because you're right. That was New Jersey in Taboo, but so in New Mexico they were charged with incense. It's a fourth degree felony in New Mexico. They both ended up accepting no contest plea deals where they agreed to not have contact for eighteen months, and after eighteen months they were allowed to have contact.
Speaker 4: But not a sexual relationship. Like after Jersey.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but yeah, but I guess they have to move to New Jersey. But I tried to find updates on them because this was like very it was very tabloid, and there's no update on this couple. But this Salon article was written in response to this case because the case was written up in the Daily Mail and a couple other blogs picked it up to more tabloidy kind of websites, and the author posts pushed back on it being a real thing. She's like, there's literally no research on it. It's a lot of like bullshit dressed up as a phenomenon quote unquote. But the majority of GSA cases are reported by tabloids because the subject is so taboo, and so I don't know if it's like no one's done the research. But she says even the woman who coined the phrase, Barbara Gagno like she her son did not reciprocate those feelings, so like it makes it seem like it's not like it's an un like you know, it's not like an unfightable desire phenomenon that like just comes on.
Speaker 4: It's like it happens for certain people.
Speaker 1: And I don't know. I thought in this one about New Mexico, it's like the boy that she gave up, Caleb. I mean, at that point, he's nineteen, he's a man. He was like always in foster care and then he said, no one ever cared about me my whole life. And then he meets his birth mom and she's like cooking food for him, and he just like feels loved for the first time. And I think she took advantage of that to be on like between That's my sense of it, because it's like it is a mental thing. I don't think it's like a I don't think it's like a genetic. I don't think it's like an internal like Wow, I've been I've been running around acting like it was fact, and I think it's I think it happens, yeah, but like but you can say, instead of this happens, it can be like this can occur. Yes, But we talked just now to We talked to our guests today about talking to someone on the plane who said that they were sexually attracted to themselves. Right, it's like I've never heard that specifically diagnosed. But also what they were saying in a lot of this research is sexual attraction is so complex, Like it's so to even be able to pinpoint and say, oh, this is a disorder or a syndrome or a diagnosis is like so difficult because that's such a complex thing. And it feels like people have tried to put genetic sexual attraction on it when some in some cases it feels like it's just feelings only from one side or whatever.
Speaker 2: I don't know, but but for it, like it's just so wild to be like, so, I guess the son I've been reunited with doesn't want to fuck me, and something must be wrong with him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's a sit but also something is like in taboo, it's like this man is a predator, like he is like he's grooming her like I love you, I'm the only one that loves you, or whatever, to the point that he won't even put on a fucking condom and just keeps impregnating her. You know, he's diabolical, So okay, that's that on genetic sexual attraction. And then obviously this is based on like, you know, sperm donors in general. And right at the time of this episode twenty twelve, right the year before, there was a special that came out that sort of I think in warms this episode a little bit.
Speaker 5: So.
Speaker 1: Ben Seisler was a man who uh Time magazine calls a genetic prince charming, tall, athletic, smart, handsome, jewish. Okay, he gave to spermed clinics in both Boston and Virginia to help pay his way through college and law school. So over the course of you know years, and in two thousand and five, he decided to plug his number into you know, donor one forty one, similar into the Donor Sibling Registry, and he ended up discovering in the end that he'd fathered over seventy children, though based on his estimates of how much he donated, he thought the number might be closer to one forty. So he broke the news to his fiance about this on camera for a docuseries called Style Exposed colon Sperm Donor, which was you Guessed It on the Style Channel, which doesn't even exist.
Speaker 4: An he was wondering what.
Speaker 1: I tried to find the video. I tried to find the video of it. If there's any super salutes that are good at like going on those deep web websites like or the way Back Machine, but like I could not find any video clips of it. But he does this like reality.
Speaker 2: To give me a secret on the Style Network life, I would, I mean, can you Jenny Jones murder situation?
Speaker 1: Yeah, she was obviously furious. She still did marry him. They still did get married, and you know, like around this time, there's like a lot.
Speaker 2: I think the sperm bank of it all is far like that's not my issue. I think it's a dot, like a surprise reveal on a on camera.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, what's like, what's weird is like I don't know how long he was with his girl, but he knew in two thousand and five that he had fathered all these kids, and like the doc is in twenty eleven, and it took him six y Like he didn't tell his He didn't tell his Beyonce until the show or the doc documentary. I think it was just like a one part special or whatever. But the man so basically at this time, people are hearing about these kinds of things, like there's a man in Britain who donated for over thirty years who fathered more than a thousand children apparently, which ended up causing Britain to restrict the number of child children that a donor can have, including their own, to ten. The FDA in the United States has no limits on the number of offspring a donor may have, but most sperm banks say that they limit it to twenty five or thirty children. But they have no way of tracking if a man goes to a different facility to donate, like especially across state lines, like they have no way of tracking.
Speaker 2: Now, yeah, I am actually now curious. How many of these people are like John Stamo's episode of Breeder Freaks, reproductive abusers. Yeah, that are like addicted and just like sperm everywhere.
Speaker 1: Okay, Well, this guy Seizler, he said in the Style Channel show. He explained what motivated him because he ended up reaching out to a bunch of his genetic offspring and talking to them and he said he quote he said quote, I wanted to be available for these families, to be a resource for them. He said, I'm curious as to what these kids are like. But I'm not looking for anything from them.
Speaker 4: End quote.
Speaker 1: But then when a friend replied to him, well you can't be hidden seventy chuck e cheese birthday parties, the article said, he bristled and said, they're not my kids.
Speaker 4: I don't see them as my kids. So I think he wanted.
Speaker 1: I think he wanted to, in a way be able to say, oh, I have this medical condition in my family, or I'm good at this sport like I run cross country or whatever like that stuff is just to give these kids.
Speaker 2: If he's being sincere, maybe he just wanted to offer up any if the kids needed something, you know what I mean? Yes, yeah, oh you know what movie I love? The kids are all right? We didn't talk about that.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I do love that movie. That's another thing that could happen. Maybe that's a syndrome. Yeah, lesbian guard fall in love with a birth parent. Yeah, I mean the bioparent. So basically, I think because this style thing had just came out and like people are talking about like also in twenty ten, there was a documentary called Donor Unknown that was about a girl going to find her sperm donor father who she only knows as donor one fifty, and she made this movie about it that like got Some Got Some, like one Best the Tribeca Online Film Festival best for Best Feature Film and stuff like it won a couple of awards.
Speaker 4: So it's in the it's in the conversation.
Speaker 1: There's this guy on the Style channel, there's this doc like people are talking about sperm donors, and so I'm sure like SVU got the But one of the part of the problem with the sperm donors is that the late stage capitalism of it all caught onto sperm donation industry, where sperm donors are hard to find. I guess like I had this vision in the eighties that like you could just maybe it's blood, but I thought you could just like go in and jerk off into a cup and get twenty five dollars like I always thought it like wasn't even lucrative to do it for men, like I know, like being an egg donor is like is I've known of I've had friends of friends who have done it, like to help pay for college and stuff, because it's quite lucrative. But basically sperm donors are hard to find and the good ones like they have to be medically cleared, you know, and then obviously people are doing like lesbian Rollinson and Benson are trying to like go after these specific profiles and education and this and that. So apparently a lot of the banks would require guys that were cleared and desirable to donate like once a week for their first year of being part of the bank, like donating a lot. And that's why fathering like one hundred plus kids can happen. Like I personally know a guy who donated sperm and then found a Facebook group of women that he had and he was he had fathered I believe in the teens, like he had fathered many many kids.
Speaker 2: Well, isn't Richard Hatch from surviv Like there's a bunch of Hatch babies. There's gonna be a documentary about that, I think too. Yeah, or someone just told me that about their deep personal friend and I just revealed it.
Speaker 1: But no, no, no, Richard Hatched if I ever winner revealed he was a prolific sperm donor in the eighties and estimates he may have bothered up to two hundred children and also in Virginia where he was donating whoa and then he said, also he connected with some children via the Donor Sibling Registry.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I wonder if the model will change. Like that's the thing.
Speaker 2: We don't think about these kids because sometimes in my feet it'll show up, like kids that are pissed they were adopted, and uh, it's like a perspective we don't think about.
Speaker 4: It's so much of like, oh, I want to be a parent. I want to be a parent.
Speaker 2: It's like, okay, well it seems like some twisted shit happens, like we're not thinking about the kids. Like most people don't really think about kids as people. Yeah, they really don't.
Speaker 1: I yeah, yeah, I mean a lot of this Richard Hatch stuff started coming out in twenty thirteen, so like a little bit after this episode, you know, Like, but it was I think in the third in the teens, it was people were talking about it a lot, and like finding out that as the science improves, it's just like also, like there was a woman in one of the articles I read with Ben Seisler who had like twins, she had twins with his sperm, and she's like, I know that he has other kids in the area of Quebec that I live in. And I have to keep I have to track them, like if you if he does have one hundred and forty kids and a lot of them are in the Boston or the Virginia area. You got to make sure that your kids don't end up like dating their brother half brothers and sisters, you know, which I know people have also found out. So nothing quite as wild as what Dawson gets up to in this episode, but still some crazy stuff.
Speaker 4: But uh, but yeah, we have an awesome guest, so don't go anywhere.
Speaker 1: Our guest today is an actor you may know best for his leading roles on shows like Without a Trace in Nashville, but you know him today as prolific sperm donor and framed rapist Colin Barnes. Please enjoy our conversation with Eric Close.
Speaker 4: Welcome, Eric, Welcome.
Speaker 5: Thank you, thanks for having me. Appreciate it.
Speaker 2: Yeah watching me? Yep, So you watch the episode? What are your what are some like top of mind thoughts as you were watching?
Speaker 5: Well, so, first of all, one thing you got it was cool is I had not seen that episode.
Speaker 4: Nice?
Speaker 5: No, I know, so I don't always watch everything I do, And I was actually talking to my daughters about that this morning, I was like, yeah, I didn't even see this episode, and there's like episodes as suits I haven't seen and without a trace, et cetera. So it was really fun to watch it. And I was like, dang, I was in pretty good shake back shape back then. So it was really fun to watch. And you know, I'll get this out of the way quickly. It was a bit sad to see James Vanderbeek in the episode because I knew James and I forgot that he was in the episode, and and because I had sent him a text a while back when I when he first got sick, and and uh, and I was kept remembering how did I get his number? And then I remember it was because we had worked together way back in the day on mckinna up here in Oregon, and then we worked on SUU and so we had reconnected. So anyway, just rest in peace, James. But it was good to see him, Yeah on the episode last night.
Speaker 2: Yeah, day for coming and talking about this one. We thought it would be like we would definitely mention him, and.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, we'll definitely honor his legacy when we do when we record the rest of the episode. I mean, but when you do you remember we're like getting the script for this and just thinking, wow, SVU has just really out svu'ed itself.
Speaker 4: I mean, this episode is so wild.
Speaker 2: Like my quote from tomorrow, it's somebody raped your donor daughters and did it in your name, and it's like, what a wild episode.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: So when I first got the episode, I uh, you know, I always read it and make sure I'm like, Okay, this is a little out there, right, but I love the twist in it. And uh, I was excited to work with Marishka. I'd known her for a long time and get an a chance to work with her, so and I like, I mean one of the things about SVU is these cases come up and these these weird syndromes that people have and are yeah you know what I'm saying, and this was this one was out there. I was like, Okay, that's really crazy, but it's a real thing, which sure is unfortunate, but it is. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, genetic sexual attraction. It's definitely out there. And there's a few s views on the topic. I would say we were expert level now on Oh well, I just a.
Speaker 5: Quick side note. I met this lady on an airplane one time, but told me that her husband he's now passed away because he killed himself. But he had a sexual attraction to himself, so almost like I don't know if you remember in Sound Slams when Buffalo.
Speaker 4: Bill was like yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah yeah, he got of.
Speaker 5: Getting up himself. So this guy had this crazy thing where he was attracted to himself, and he tried everything to try and get away from it. He got prostitutes, et cetera, et cetera, and he was so depressed by it he went out and ended up ending his life, which is really sad. But I never heard of such.
Speaker 1: I've never liked that, heard of that.
Speaker 5: I mean, we all liked you know, we all look at ourselves in the mirror kind of go aah, look good today. Whatever. Yeah, that's that's like a.
Speaker 4: Whole other level, a whole other level.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 4: We got to google that, and I want to read more about it because maybe you could handle it.
Speaker 1: Maybe. So how did you how did you guys.
Speaker 4: Start talking about that on the plane?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 4: I know, how does the.
Speaker 5: I Okay, for some reason, I have this thing where people just open up.
Speaker 1: To time's going to say, you kind of have one of those faces. I feel like where someone's like, you know what, I'm going to tell you about my husband's weird sexual thing.
Speaker 5: Yes, yes, and uh it's a long story. But she overheard me on a zoom call with a bunch of friends and we were talking about I think we were talking about prayer actually, and she said prayer is really important and then I go, oh, why is that? And then she told me about this thing that how prayer got her through all this trauma that she had and whatever. That's but that's what it happened.
Speaker 4: She was waiting to tell the door in that moment.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, yeah. So anyway, I've just met I've met people. I have flown all over the world and I have met people, and yes, people have shared some pretty crazy stuff with me that because I'm a stranger, it's almost like going to the therapist's office. They're never going to see me again. And you know, a lot of times they don't know what I do, so they're just like, oh, yeah, so I did this and that. I'm like, oh wow, okay, crazy. Yeah yeah yeah.
Speaker 1: So you do you remember like being like shooting this episode of the show, because I know this is like one episode of television and a long career that you've had, and you were on like one hundred and sixty something episodes of Without a Trace. You've done a lot of but do you remember, like because this is season thirteen, this is like the first episode without Christopher Maloney. This, you know, so you got onto a post Maloney set, and I was just wondering if you know there was a vibe anything you picked up on. Marishka's in charge now, but you've known her, I guess previously.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, No, she's certainly. She's certainly in charge. One things I'll tell you about Marishka is after all those seasons that she's been on it, she still was so all in. Like there was no phoning to day in. It wasn't like, oh I just my thirteenth season.
Speaker 2: She was in.
Speaker 5: She wanted to rehearse, She cared about the development of each character. We would talk it out. I mean, I was really impressed, to be honestly, because I've done enough television, you know, serious television, to tell you there's times you're just kind of in burnout mode, you know, like let's just get the day over, And that's not Marishka. I was really impressed by her and she treated me really well and we hadn't seen each other in a long time. If we have time, I'll share a Marishka's story later time. Yeah, okay, cool, cool, But I was bombed that Maloney wasn't there because he and I were an acting class way back in the day. Really yeah, and Howard Find's studio and he was he was already a forest back then in class. He was so intense and I just remember going, man, this guy's he just has an intense city, because you know, I mean, he's yeah, he's uh, he's serious and uh. I think my first thing I remember him going on to after that was I think he was in prison break in the TV series right.
Speaker 4: With Amari Od.
Speaker 5: I mean, O, yeah, yeah, there's jail. Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah he was. He was great in that. So it was just cool. It was cool to see people from class break out and do well like Scott Wolf, and there's other people I could mention, but yeah, are you gonna.
Speaker 2: Have you seen on Instagram the trend of like hey dad, what were you like in the nineties?
Speaker 4: And then have you seen this?
Speaker 2: And then it's too a whole song, so all like Scott Wolf did, that's whatever reminded me. Scott Wolf did it. Devin Sawa posted one today like oh, and it's like, oh, Jonathan Taylor Thomas like dad, what were you like in the nineties?
Speaker 4: And it's a cool song.
Speaker 2: And then people are posting their like nineties hatty photos. Jillian andersaid, like, yeah, I saw Sharon Stone doing.
Speaker 4: You have to jump on the trend all right, I'll check it out.
Speaker 2: Trend is your ninety so fine, get your haughty nineties picks.
Speaker 1: Well I saw doing research of you. You have two daughters that are like in their twenties or something, right, so maybe one of them help.
Speaker 5: You with the yeah process, Yeah, they're they're on top of it. Skot Wolf's great at it. He knows he's all he's on top of it. He knows what he's doing. But yeah, yeah, heavy daughters. Also, that was a bit of a trip watching that episode and uh.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, because you're like a you're like a girl dad that It must have been crazy.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it was out there. But the girls, I'm like, what are you guys doing? I mean it was really wild. Like some of the girls like I just want I knew he was my dad, but I wanted to be what I was like, Okay, this is that's the genetic attraction. Yeah, yeah, which I didn't but.
Speaker 1: It's not because then none of them are really he's not any of their dads.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I think it's it's like a.
Speaker 5: It's a mindset. It's a mental I mean like B. D. Wong was talking about his character was talking about how how the even like siblings that were separated at birth and then they come back, they suddenly have some sort of attraction.
Speaker 1: I'm like, Wow, it's weird because it's like an intense like closeness that then can like I think wires get crossed, But what do you get recognized more?
Speaker 4: For the most like you do you get stopped around?
Speaker 5: Well, lately the last couple of years has been Suits because it came out on uh Netflix.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's found a new audience.
Speaker 5: It sure has. As a matter of fact, there's a lady here painting our house and yesterday I walk in and she's like, oh my gosh, like I didn't know you were on Suits, so I didn't even know if you're an actor like that, and so so we're cracking. She goes, oh, I love that character. And then my wife and I were telling her, Oh my gosh, you'd just seen it in Italy a couple of years ago. We went to Italy and we arrived in Florence and people are like just coming up to me, going, hey, can I get a picture?
Speaker 4: I'm like, what is going on?
Speaker 5: Then we go to Venice and the same thing happens, and everywhere we went in Italy, I keep getting like people coming up to me and going and they call it sweets instead of suits. Sweet sweet sweets, sweet sweets, and so it was a big deal there, and uh, it was really cool because I met people not only the Italians, but people from Australia and all over the world. It just shows you the reach of Netflix alone and just the industry, how it's so global now.
Speaker 4: And I kind of live away like things that came out a while ago.
Speaker 2: You can it can find it on you never know when, or like a song and a TV show where like with the Kate Bush song and it's a song from the eighties and it's.
Speaker 5: Like, correct, Yeah, time doesn't matter, Yeah it doesn't. And I would tell people, you know, I shot that show ten years ago. I shot Suits ten years ago, and there are people are just now discovering it. What's interesting though, is us my understanding that Nashville's on Netflix now too, but it's not getting the same reaction at least has it for me?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 4: Well, it depends and it's not like algorithm with that.
Speaker 1: It's like what Netflix is pushing out to the front and like you know, yes, yeah, wait, so you love directing or.
Speaker 5: What I do? I do love it? Yeah, it's a whole different half. I mean, you're uh, you know, acting, You're you're obviously you're work collaborating with the director and and your your crew, I mean, the actors that you're working with. But that's kind of you know, you're really focused on that, and there's a lot of mental time, you know, you're trying to focus on your you know, a lot of things with it. As a director, you're you're collaborating with the entire crew of everybody, all the department heads, the studio, the writers, the direct every the producers, everybody. So you're you're making lots of you know, hundreds of decisions a day, but you're also delegating and saying, hey, here's my idea, and you're and you're just trusting all these people that are really good at what they do to come to you and say here, okay, here's my idea. Here's my three best ideas, and you go, okay, I like that one, let's go. And so it's really fun. I like the intensity of it. You're and you get to start the project before the actors show up, and then you they all take off, and then at the end you're in there with the editor putting it together. So I like the whole process of it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, jamp have you? And then did you direct episodes of TV that you were in?
Speaker 5: Yep? I did Uh Without Trace and Nashville. Yeah, and then did some stuff for Hallmark too, which was really fun. I really enjoyed that. I did a movie a few years ago with Kristin Chenowi and Scott Wolf and they were amazing, and Scott I played. I was in it too. I played Scott's best friend in the in the movie and I directed it, so I wasn't in every scene, but it was kind of fun to do both at the same time.
Speaker 1: A Christmas love story, that's right, that's right. Yeah, you're like a Christmas King. Now are there more? Then?
Speaker 5: I don't know, we'll see, you know, maybe they'll maybe they maybe they will happen. I hope. So I have a great time doing those movies. They're really fun and people people love them. They feel good about it. You know, it's a it's a nice escape from the daily grind.
Speaker 4: If you were to come back on SVU, what would you like to play?
Speaker 5: Oh, I'd love to come back and be uh it be one of the investigators a detective or or an attorney and wanted to you know, and I whatever. But it would be fun. It would be fun to be I mean, look, I can't choose, but it would be fun to work with those guys and and be you know, out chasing the cases again, kind of like I did on Without a Trace.
Speaker 1: That was Yeah, I used to watch Without a Trace. I really liked that show. It's like, I bet we have I bet when people listen to this, they're going to know you from that too, because it's like it felt a little bit a s vwish to me, that show.
Speaker 4: That's like well constructed b more. Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and we really tried to. We really fought hard to give it as much gravitas or you know, in reality and you know, a made up kind of division of the FBI. So it was it was really cool. We had an FBI consultant on set who was a twenty seven year FBI you know, he was retired, but he was our consultant. His name is Mark. He was super cool and very informative and and we fought hard to just really make that show good. And I'm proud of that show, and everybody was all in. So yeah, yeah, I wish it ran longer. It was kind of a you know, we we kind of went out on top. We were still in the top ten or fifteen of shows on TV and when we ended, so it was a good way to go. I'm not like, you know, down in the bottom, but we could have run longer for sure.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Kara is a sister's person. I got to talk to you about sisters. I can't believe you are sisters. I talk about it on this podcast all the time because Patricia Callimber, who plays Georgie was A is a judge that recurs on SVU all the time, and Susie Kurtz is a judge. Zoosie Kurtz is a judge, is a bad judge in an episode. And then I don't think Seal A Ward has ever done it. But I was obviously a Seal Award fan growing up. So your care I was trying to look up your character because I watched it when I was so young, Like what was your character on Sisters?
Speaker 5: So I basically was was, uh George Clinty two point zero. Yeah, so George was on there, and I, if I recall correctly, he played a cop or something. And then I came on and I was a cop okay, and yeah and and uh, I was fun. That was like really early in my career. And I had kind of a nice schedule on that. I was I think I had just gotten married. And uh, I loved all of them. They really made me feel welcome there, Susie and Seala, all of them. And we shot that at we shot that at Warner Brothers and the Water Brothers lot. So that was that was fun. And you know, you're working with you're working with veterans, and they really they kind of forced you to up your game, but they also are always open to giving you advice. When you're a young actor, you know, it's kind of starting it out, and so it was a good home and a good place.
Speaker 2: For me to be.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I loved that show so much, Like Wow, I don't even.
Speaker 1: Know if I've really talked to anybody who's been.
Speaker 4: On Sisters before. For so, this is exciting, that's awesome.
Speaker 5: I love that you liked that too. Nice. But when the show comes up that you know someone's not you know, if they're talking about oh it's suits or without Drace, but to talk about suits or every once in a while, I'll bump into somebody and I'll go, hey, I really liked you on this, and it's something that a lot of people can talk about. Like I did a mini series that Spielberg produced years ago, we called Taken, and someone just approached me and they go, oh, my this. They said something like, oh, you're on my favorite mini series. And I didn't know what they were talking about. And then they mentioned I go, oh, yeah, that was a great show. I loved you. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm just noticing Sisters is in Winnetka, Illinois and wine. I'm from Skochie, I think right next door. Yeah, wow, all right on, I got to watch some Sisters. You've really been working for a long time.
Speaker 5: Congrats, thank you. Yeah, I'm great, I'm very No, No, I'm grateful. I'm grateful because we all know it's the Yeah, the business is, you know, and it's different right now. Yeah, We've we're going through a lot of changes and a lot of production is going overseas, and you know, and it's there, there's some seismic shifts happening. So I'm grateful that I've had the career that I've had and I've I've worked with amazing people, and I'm not I was not like, oh yeah, it's it's the end, you know, but it's it's one of those things where I've just been very fortunate work with a lot of really awesome people and it's been really fun and just getting to tell cool stories and like I said, get to travel the world and meet all kinds of and it's not just in my industry. It's open doors to go all these places and meet all kinds of really interesting people that aren't even in the entertainment industry.
Speaker 1: So yeah, but yeah, the more people we talked to through this podcast, we just meet more people like you who were like had their careers where they lived in New York or LA and now are just like I'm living where I want to live and then I just fly where I gotta fly to go.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Well, it's the tape has changed at all.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, and you know it's weird. Bonnie Zan was talking about this on Facebook last month. They were just talking about how everything went to tape and actors were lamenting about missing coming into the room and you know, getting a chance to you know, have personal interaction. I used to love that. You know, it's more nerve racking because it's like you're going on stage in front of the people that are going to decide whether they give you a job or not. But there was something cool about Like I remember one time I went in, I had a meeting with David Kelly and it wasn't and I didn't get the job. I thought I might, but I found out that he liked fly fishing and I liked flyfish, so we just started talking about fly fishing. We talked for almost five minutes, and I remember the casting director was kind of like, Okay, are we going to do this audition? And then I did it and it didn't go any further, but we really we made a connection. It was kind of fun, and a lot of times it does go your way because you develop a rapport and the director or the producer might go you know what I'd like to work with this person for the potentially the next five to seven years. And and so that kind of got that lost, you know. And now the cool thing about going on tape is you can you know, obviously, you can try and get it as good as you can and everything and fine tune your performance where you feel good about it. But you send it off and that's it. Yeah, you don't hear anything. It's like, well, you didn't get the job. So it's very different.
Speaker 1: And I mean, don't you think that there's people though that can Like, I guess if you can't jump off the tape, you're not going to jump off the screen, right. I was going to say it feels like you got to see people in the room to really feel their energy, but I guess that's not really how most people are going to be experiencing you.
Speaker 5: No, And I will tell you the truth. When I directed, I often cast off a tape because I could see something, because that's what you're going to see on the screen.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and.
Speaker 5: So I personally think the room is more for connecting to someone just personally. But the tape, you know you're going to see, you're going to see a performance and it's you know, if the lighting's decent, you're going to get a pretty good idea what they look like camera and and if they have a sense of a camera and how they're you know, it hasn't worked for me, but no, it's kidd but it's a different it's such a different experience. But that started for me way back in almost twenty fifteen. Is like when we even before a pandemic, we I started noticing things were going to tape more. Yeah, yeah, but it is, it is what it is. Maybe someday it'll kind of open back up, and you know, because I think it's important. I mean, look, the human interaction in general is important, regardless if it's like our business. It's like anything like when all these people went home worked from home kind of stuff and left the office. You know, you want to come together. I mean you want it like all the shows we love, like Cheers and all these other shows where people came together. I mean, the human interactions like super important.
Speaker 1: So I think totally people are coming together over suits now. I feel there's right. I mean there's like you know we always talk about, there's like not there's not the same like water cooler culture of like we're all watching friends, We're all watching this. But like then when something really hits on Netflix and kind of comes back and people are I'm obsessed with them calling it sweets in Italy, that's amazing.
Speaker 5: Yeah sweet sweet. So at first I was like, what are they talking about? And then did you guys? Have you guys watched The Bear?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 5: I only watched seasons. I just started it. It's pretty cool, so I'm I'm in. I'm into that. But yeah, sweets Is, I mean, sweets now now here I go, uh my inner Italian's coming Out No Suits Is just was a such a cool show. I loved all those guys. I worked with every one of them on on without a trace other than Gabriel, So I Gabriel was the only actor when I came on the show that I hadn't met before everybody else so they they I was a guest star, but they treated me like, I mean, like I was part of the family. After after work, we're all ever all going over to Megan's house. We're gonna go play Cards against Humanity. So you want to come? I'm like, yeah, sure. So that was really fun and I felt sorry, I felt really grateful that that's not the normal experience, you know, when you come in as a guest star. Yeah, that that relationship with the with the main cast is already formed, and you know, you kind of go home to your hotel room or your trailer or whatever, and they were really cool to just kind of let me tag along.
Speaker 1: People usually say that. People usually say that about SVU. I feel like as well, like even though they're kind of running twenty seven seasons now, like they really make.
Speaker 4: The guest stars feel welcome, is what people.
Speaker 2: Look because I think, yeah, I think they understand that the guest stars are like that are the ones that are the victims really having to.
Speaker 4: Do some emotional stuff. Yes, wasted, Yeah.
Speaker 5: You know, I like I remember Marishka went up. I told you I would circle back to Mariska like, so I remember being there and she obviously had her big cool bus, you know, and she and the other actors I was working with, She's like, hey, come on up, let's let's rehearse or whatever. So we all just like went up and hung out on her bus and and rehearsed and talked about some old times, you know stuff. Because the story I was going to tell you about Marishka was so when I was growing up as a kid, John McEnroe was like my hero and uh. And so I was obsessed with McEnroe because I was a tennis player. And so anyway, we were at this John McEnroe tennis event in uh North Ranch in LA and Uh, and I was like so excited, thinking, oh, maybe I'll get a chance to meet Mack, you know, because he's hosting it. So I get there and we end up having a little of an interaction and I like totally fan over him. I was like silly, but I was like, oh, you're my hero. Whatever. It was like embarrassing, but anyway, but anyway, that evening, we were getting ready to have dinner after the event, and Marishka and I had been talking and she comes over and she says, hey, have you uh have you met Tatum O'Neill and John Mecker And I go, well, I did a little bit, you know earlier, and she goes, well, come over, I want their friends. I want you to meet them. So she brings me over and I'm like hey John, we talk again. And now that there was a connection because of Marishka, he was even more cool, like open, you know, before I was, And it wasn't like he was a jerk to me. He just was, you know, I was just anyway. And Tatum was super cool. So we chat. We have a really nice time, and then later, uh, this is this is like the cocktail hour. Then dinner happens and Marishka comes back over and she says, hey, do you wanna do you wanna have dinner with John and Tatum and I and a group of us are at this table. They'd love to have you join. I'm like, you serious? So she sits me right next to Mac and we had the best night just hanging out and talking stories and I'm asking questions about Tennis and I mean, I mean, he's one of the greatest of all time, and I was. It was I will forever be grateful to her because she opened that door and for me to meet one of my childhood you know, heroes. So that was so thank you, Mariska.
Speaker 4: I'm so glad you remembered.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, I will tell you what a couple of things real quick. Rosemary Rodriguez, who directed the episode, Yeah, she and I had worked together a bunch on without a trace. She's awesome and so to get reunited with her was a really cool experience. And she's a fantastic director, super passionate and fun. And and then the other thing, I was really cool and I didn't know that. I didn't expect this to happen is iced Ta and his wife. His wife was there a lot with him, and they had this big bulldog and I forget the dog's name, but anyway, maybe yeah, and he and the three of them, I would just go sit in his dressing room and we would just hang out and with with he and his wife, and they were so cool to me, and I was like, I'm hanging with iced Tea. This is pretty awesome. So really really made me feel welcome there, and and the whole experience was cool. And I appreciate you guys doing this because it was fun to go back and watch and just and just see it, you know, and for the first time too, So it's great.
Speaker 2: Got you we got that an Iced Tea story too. You keep giving us some nuggets because we love having He was.
Speaker 5: Very Oh they were so they were so cool. I didn't you know, you never know what to expect when you're there, and the fact that they were that cool to just let me hang.
Speaker 4: What a nice man.
Speaker 1: I love how he's just like live in a simple life up in Oregon, an early adopter of the Oregon lifestyle.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we had like a row of like not in a row, but like a few months of just like rugged, rugged guys, cowboy guys.
Speaker 4: They're in the South. They love New Orleans, you know, I don't know. Yeah, they love college football. Who do we talk to? Like, loved college football.
Speaker 2: Couldn't get enough, couldn't get enough love, the team supported, the team had the tickets.
Speaker 1: O casey, oh oh oh kat David Keith, David loves University of Tennessee, likes the balls, and he liked a gossip.
Speaker 4: Too, And I love that.
Speaker 1: We love we love a little bit of gossip. I mean, I love our guest telling a story about how a woman confessed to him on a plane that her husband was a or her friend or so who was eight was self sexual or something like. That's a big random conversation to start with a man you meet on a plane.
Speaker 4: Well, and let's talk about random.
Speaker 2: So if within the week of recording this episode met a young man who met his birth sister the day I bumped into this stranger and his dad was a sperm donor in the nineties, and they flew in and were staying at the same hotel as me, and he was like so buzzing from the experience that he didn't want to wake up his dad in the hotel, so he was like talking to him on to friends on the phone and like talking about this experience of meeting his birth sister and like loving her so much.
Speaker 4: And we had just.
Speaker 1: Recorded this episode, but hopefully not too much. What do you mean, Oh, yeah, of course, what do you mean? Genetic sexual attraction? A pseudoscience, a pseudo science.
Speaker 2: That's my This is honestly the most the most I'll ever talk about the episode and what I've actually learned, And what I've actually learned is that it's fake, that it's not real, and it's a pseudoscience and it's just something that might occur, but it's not like it's happening.
Speaker 1: I just don't think it's like it's not it can still be predators. Yeah, yeah, I guess still, you know, like we're like, oh, it just happens, and it's like or are you a Pedoh yeah, I don't know. The take on this episode is so weird. It's like if you're if a guy.
Speaker 2: No, but do you guys want to buy t shirts that say someone is raping your donor daughters and doing it in your name? Let us know if you want a sweatpant with that going down the side. We got the tommies. It's just such a weird I mean, Omar probably happy when he got that script. He goes, I cannot fucking wait to say this.
Speaker 1: It's such a weird plot for revenge to be like, you stole my girlfriend, you ruin my medical career, So I'm going to track down the girls that you don't know exist and have sex with underage girl, assault underage girls, impregnate one of them. Gotcha?
Speaker 4: Like what it if?
Speaker 5: You?
Speaker 1: Okay, if you thought you were going to do that, because it was going to get him in trouble. The girls are going to id who they had sex with, do you know what I mean? It's like if he had killed them, it would have made more sense if he had done it and then killed them. It would have been like, that's a way you can frame this guy that he's no, he wanted to How much time do you think he's getting?
Speaker 3: Like, what did he do?
Speaker 2: It's not kidnapping, Like what is it? I go, oh, it's sat they're young, they're young, young, they're statute. Yeah, yeah, the rape.
Speaker 1: But I mean, like it's like, I don't know how you thought this was going to punish this guy except for having sex with his own daughter when you got to the doctor.
Speaker 4: But then what is the point of the other girls? He was trying to bring him down?
Speaker 2: Like the they just he didn't realize the NYPD was playing like that, Like he assumed cops are stupid, Like he thought he was gonna get away with it. He didn't know Olivia Benson was on the case. Yeah, that's what happened. Like at the end of the day, they would have arrested this man, this doctor, and he would have gone to jail. But so but so he was but he was engaged, but no one identified him. Yes, yeah, like but he was engaging.
Speaker 1: With these relationships with teen girls because because he liked it, right, like obviously because he's a little bit of a pedophile, or like because.
Speaker 4: It feels like if it's just for revenge, but it's done stuff too.
Speaker 2: Maybe him and John Stamos's character can meet up in prison and kind of have a support group. Of weird breeding breeding problems.
Speaker 1: So weird. Okay, let's get into what would Sister Peg do?
Speaker 4: Shall we?
Speaker 1: This is our weekly segment where we, you know, point you to to an organization, an article, a doct something that gives you more info on what we talked about today. And we were talking about, you know, in the true crime part of it, like how sometimes this genetic sexual attraction thing happens when people are not like adequately prepared for a reunion with a biological parent that they haven't seen right or that they've never been connected to. So this week we wanted to point you to the organization Families Rising. Their mission is to assist adoptive, foster and kinship parents, educate child and welfare professionals, and champion the well being of children and families. They're committed to helping children develop both cultural and personal identity, offering support to all children in foster care and adoption experiences, including those who identify as LGBTQ. And I know in some of these cases there is it's like a sperm donor and the other parent is their biological parent, But I think this all applies. So for more information or to donate, head over to we are Families Rising dot org and that will be obviously linked in our show notes and in a story the day this episode comes out, and then we save those stories forever in our WWSPD highlights on our Instagram page, which is that.
Speaker 4: S messed up pod. You really killed it?
Speaker 1: They really did it.
Speaker 4: Thank you. It's so weird.
Speaker 2: It's like, while I'm organizing the stickers to give to people, like I think I'm like a generous person, and then I look and I'm like, well, what's the ugliest sticker I can give them because I'm not giving them the good ones?
Speaker 1: And then I feel like a really bad person. I feel bad. I'm like looking at them being like I just feel bad. Yeah, you don't want to give away your faves?
Speaker 4: I get that.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And there's stickers right, yeah, Like those stickers are fleeting. No, they're not.
Speaker 2: I have a sticker book. We talked about this last week. I can't believe this is happening to me. And for those of you who don't know, it's actually back to back recordings. It was less than an hour ago I showed I did a full display of the sticker book. I know we're going to live on ever, that's forever. They don't eventually curl up off the page and fuck off.
Speaker 4: No, that's the whole point. I think. I can't know.
Speaker 1: I just think stickers like after a few years, I.
Speaker 2: Know you clearly are uneducated. Like you, clearly, I did not experience this ignorant.
Speaker 1: You can actually say ignorant ignor Your friends were just ruining their stickers in a book.
Speaker 4: Of course they were.
Speaker 1: I think I thought they were keeping them on the sheet and then putting the sheet in a book. No, because I think I'm about to like I was poor. I couldn't do all this right, like I'm about to. I'm about to go to back into my childhood in a way, like I don't. I can't wait to open up a sticker and put it in this book, Like I'm.
Speaker 2: Like, I can't. I'm so excited because usually it is fleeting. I use them for gift cards or like when I send a card or you know that kind of stuff. Now you've got the sticker book. You're not giving good ones to friends?
Speaker 4: Just you got it.
Speaker 1: This is gonna be great. I get the good one well, because like you're hoarding the good ones. I think it's fine. It's like which ones? You know you got more than one?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know, but like so then I'm gonna give this and it's like, so I'm giving the worst one, like this one's the best one. I'm gonna tell you what we're doing next week. Everyone wants to go home. Okay, sorry, okay, did were you gonna say something?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 4: Were you gonna help me out?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 5: Uh?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, it's Deadly Ambitions. He's in fourteen, episode fifteen.
Speaker 4: Oh no, with the stick.
Speaker 1: I was just saying, I wouldn't think that that one would be the best one. I thought it would be the one where they're facing forward. Oh that Yeah, they just don't look like themselves. Yeah, bad illustrations, but it's really cute. But it's cute, like I like it. Next week's next week, Deadly Ambition. That's like such a good name. From season fourteen, episode fifteen. We're thrilled you you listen to us, We love all of you. It sounds like a lifetime movie Deadly Ambition.
Speaker 4: It sounds like something I want tattooed on my body.
Speaker 1: I love it.
Speaker 4: So ambitious, I'll fucking kill you.
Speaker 1: All right, Thank you guys, We'll see you next week.
Speaker 4: Bye.
Speaker 2: That's Messed Up as an Exactly Right production.
Speaker 1: If you have compliments you'd like to give us or episodes you'd like us to cover, shoot us an email it That's Messed uppod at gmail dot com. Listen to That's Messed Up on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 2: Follow the podcast on Instagram at That's Messed Up Pod, and follow us personally at Kara Klank and at Glitter Cheese.
Speaker 1: As always, please see our show notes for sources and more information.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much to our senior producer Casey O'Brien and our associate producer Christina Chamberlain, and to our.
Speaker 1: Mixer John Bradley and our guest booker Patrick Coottner, and.
Speaker 2: To Henry Kaperski for our theme song and Carly gen Andrews for our artwork.
Speaker 1: Thank you to our executive producers Georgia hard Start, Karen Kilgareff, Daniel Kramer, and everybody at Exactly Right Media dub the dun