Speaker 1: Well, well, and another well, we're just just what twenty Yeah, you know I gave you that third one for free. And we're only twenty days before the first team's head into training. GAMP were under a month away from media days and about fifty days from the season starting, so we are waiting with baited breath, which means the one thing we are able to do is check in with the teams and some of their offseason moves. And you know what, Let's start today with the Pacific Division with Emmy Award winning sports journalist Lena Washington.
Speaker 2: On today's episode, I'm.
Speaker 3: Miles Gray and I'm Jack O'Brien, and this is mock slowch Sorry, got it. Look at the hitch ten okay, and be driving Spinny number eighteen that's been.
Speaker 2: Secured the Celtics or.
Speaker 4: NBA champion.
Speaker 5: Team.
Speaker 3: To be honest with.
Speaker 1: Lena Washington, you have, Lena, we famously don't, and that's why we wanted to have you here today to tell us.
Speaker 2: It's great, isn't it.
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 5: Uh, you know, I have an Emmy for each of us in the chat to be you know, not to flex, but we can all share the wealth and it's happy to be on with you guys. I think I might have a five Timers jersey or half away.
Speaker 1: Or yeah, embroider, we're waiting for the budget to get cleared. Once that budget clears, I know I did promise you a whole leather jacket that was designed by Louis Vauton.
Speaker 2: I may have over promised there, you did. But how about a gift card? I'll all right, the.
Speaker 3: Flavor exactly.
Speaker 1: But yeah, we're gonna talk specific division today that includes a team near and dear to your heart, a team near and dear to mine, a team not so much also, But hey, who better than to do that with you? But I guess overall we were looking just sort of what sort of how many games everyone's projected to win. It looks like, overall, Jack, we're the West, we're kind of making space for some ascended teams.
Speaker 3: I guess.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Like that's the thing I have to keep reminding myself anytime we're talking win totals, Like we can't have all the teams that were good last year be good again this year in the West and have Houston and the Spurs and Memphis all getting better, like I think a lot of people expect them to I personally expect them to. So I think there's like people are just like, well, the Blazers and the Jazz are going to be bad, and that may be true, but they were bad last year, right, you know, everyone thinks okay See is going to be much better. So that adds more L's to the rest of the teams in the West. Who's going to eat all these L's is the question I'm looking at whenever I'm looking at Western Conference win totals. Who who are we going to offload all these l's?
Speaker 2: Hell? Might I interest you in a three pack of l's, Sir? Maybe not so much, not so much, not so much.
Speaker 3: You're selling l's.
Speaker 2: Knock knock, Who's there?
Speaker 1: I'm the l salesman, just saying, if you want to do the community of service and absorb some of these some some others may ascend, but let's start with your Phoenix sons. What fortyeven and a half wins is the projection here?
Speaker 6: I'll take the over.
Speaker 5: I'm I think the biggest edition in their off season has been of course, my foodenholes are stepping in as head coach.
Speaker 6: I think the Frank Vogel era was a distant.
Speaker 5: Memory now and they're moving forward with a new coach and new energy, and I'm excited to see how it all comes together with a new vision and hopefully, you know, the guys who went to Paris and won a gold medal will come back even more cohesive to introduce some of the new pieces like Tias Jones.
Speaker 6: We know that he goes back.
Speaker 5: With Devin Booker and Monte Morris coming in to the fold, I think will be two good additions, and then Mason Plumley.
Speaker 6: Coming on board leaving the Clipper. So a little Pacific Division shifting with a lot of names and a lot of faces. But I think I'll take the over with that.
Speaker 5: I think you look at the division, it is one of the more competitive in the league, I would argue, but they don't have to face all of those teams every matchup, so they have that going for them.
Speaker 2: Of course.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So last year the Suns won forty nine games. This year they are targeted at forty seven point five. So that's one of the things that we realized is they've like taken They've given everybody a couple extra else. I feel like that that's the way that draft kings. HEAs like mathematically made sense of the season is like, all right, somebody's gonna have to lose, So everybody's gonna have to lose a little bit more. Like they're very bullish on like OKC, which that we're not talking about today, but like they have them winning the same number of games. They just that's first place because everybody else is losing a little bit more this year. It'll be interesting. I think I have the same question about two other teams in this division as as far as like will some Olympic magic translate, like will it like hang on them? Will there just be like that extra little fairy dust with the Lakers and the Warriors and the Suns.
Speaker 6: I think with the Suns when they came back from Tokyo, they had the winning is in enfranchise history off of that experience, if I'm not mistaken. Granted, Kevin Durant wasn't on the team at the time, but.
Speaker 5: At least Devin Booker came back with a whole new I think level and gear to him.
Speaker 2: So and neither was Bradley Beal.
Speaker 6: So that's right.
Speaker 2: Who knows now, but that's I'm now.
Speaker 1: I'm so there's there's definitely I see, like what the addition of Tias Jones and Monte Morris does like the Clippers, I think we're toured like the bottom of the league for like three point attempts aside from having like a really good uh Clippers.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry the Sun the Suns. I'm stuck in many minds here the.
Speaker 1: Suns, and you know, having Jones and Morris, you're not, first of all, they're not going to mess up that salary cap space. You actually maybe now are able to have that big three function more like a big three, because it felt like at times they were facilitating more than anything last season. So I can see where like the optimism is. But then there's the other part of me that has always looked that the Bradley Beal thing as potentially a step in not the best direction for the Suns. Like for you, do you feel that there's something is going to be different this year? What am I missing as someone who is so myopically focused on my own terrible team that I am not seeing the sun, for lack of a better word, shine on the Phoenix Suns Well.
Speaker 5: I think the question with Bradley's beal will always remain his health. How will that affect his incorporation into the lineup and his production on the court in the consistent manner.
Speaker 6: We saw that he was plugged in.
Speaker 5: A couple times, was unsuccessful, didn't show up in the playoffs pretty much at all.
Speaker 6: I mean, I'll be damned if he gets swept.
Speaker 5: Well, he was damned in fact, you know, so that famous quote. But at least we have an idea of who will be running the point. There will be no question about that in terms of who's getting the ball to facilitate too.
Speaker 6: So shooters.
Speaker 5: You mentioned the three point the lack of three point shoot which was mind boggling and confusing to everyone here as well when you have prolific shooters like Ben Booker and Kevin Durant right there.
Speaker 6: So we will we'll.
Speaker 5: Brank Vogel talk a whole lot about how he was going to use those weapons, and that never came to fruition, as we know. So I think it's just a matter of seeing how it all materializes in a way that this team can be successful from the jump, because once you get in a hole in the West, especially, it's tough to come back from. You look ahead to the turn of the calendar, the trade Deadline, All Star and then suddenly you.
Speaker 6: Know, you're talking magic numbers.
Speaker 5: So it can really snowball when you're talking about the health and availability of players, namely Bradley Beal as we know just given his career, but I think he's down for just being.
Speaker 6: Along for the ride and being a team player.
Speaker 5: His energy has always been positive from my experience and interviewing him and speaking with him in practices, so I get the feeling that he's whatever role that they want to put him in, he is willing to accept and hopefully execute as best as he can.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm an under on this one. I think Vogal because I think you missed you lost some coaching value in losing Vogel personally.
Speaker 1: Really, I'm actually good friends with Frank Vogel. I didn't want to let them meet into this.
Speaker 3: Frank. Uh yeah, I do think it's better that you guys have point guards this year. I don't think that was Frank Vogel's decision not to have point guards necessarily last year, but it's uh yeah, I don't know. You guys were like fair like at least KD was fairly healthy last year.
Speaker 6: He was the most healthy, played the most minutes, was the most effective.
Speaker 3: Uh, you know, I would love to see it again this year, would love to see that we're all we're all rooting for I always root for KD teams like I root for Lebron teams because I just love those guys.
Speaker 2: But yep, yep, yep.
Speaker 1: But yeah, bringing that, bringing that Parisian magic back will be I think key to all of it. And yeah, I mean I do as someone who is part of a fan base or like we need this kind of player and we don't see that kind of player being signed.
Speaker 5: I like that.
Speaker 1: As for sons, you identify, like could you some point guards? And now you got some and so from that, I think I'll just say you're going to.
Speaker 3: Be right in there. I don't know, to like address the big dress.
Speaker 5: Rights, the void is the big bone that people had to pick you actually.
Speaker 3: Write that, Yeah, yeah, it's novel.
Speaker 2: It's quite not quite novel, like what if that?
Speaker 3: I'm trying to think of the other examples. There was that year where Dwayne Wade came back from the Olympics and was like it seemed like he had just like taken his game up like a couple of notches that I don't know, I feel like I do feel like Devin Booker could have like we might see that with Devin Booker.
Speaker 6: I would love to see that, even just as a leader on the court, you know, franchise.
Speaker 5: You know, it's time for him to be that front facing guy, you know, not that he hasn't been before, but just to elevate that in a way that the fans can receive and be excited about.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he seemed like he had a good time in Paris.
Speaker 1: I think I saw a clip of him running into someone on the streets in a book or Jersey.
Speaker 5: Can we nominate that short film for an Oscar I'm so serious.
Speaker 6: His his camp order really put together from Paris.
Speaker 5: Can that be submitted for any kind of award? Because I think just the cinematography, the the original.
Speaker 2: He's an artist, he's a shooter, is exactly exactly exactly.
Speaker 1: Uh So you're going, so Lena's got the over, Jack's got the under. I'm gonna go slightly under, but not too bad because I've read a lot where people are like, it's I don't know what the I don't know what the sons are thinking, yau. They gave up their entire future for Bradley Beal where do you? Where do you go from here? But I just feel like it's gotta I'm an optimist, so I like to believe that things are going to click.
Speaker 3: And I was an optimist last year. It didn't turn out. I mean, they they had a good run, some good runs there, but it didn't turn out the way that I was hoping for it too. So I'm gonna fade a little bit on this one. I would say, like, we're going to return to the mean or reversion to the mean, or whatever smart people say to mean. But Bradley Beal, his means seems to be like missing a lot of time unfortunately on the injury front. So it will be different, hopefully not hopefully it's different and hopefully makes that leap, because I do think that's definitely possible.
Speaker 2: Love his shoe too, Love is shoe.
Speaker 6: I was about to say the color waves are fantastic.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I mean, I gotta say he has it's his sneaker.
Speaker 1: It's almost, dare I say, too fashionable for a basketball sneaker, Like it almost feels like it doesn't function at because it looks like such a smooth like. I just love the design of it. I think maybe I just get nervous ying really low like low top basketball sneakers, because.
Speaker 2: Then I just hear like a coach in my ear being like your ankles wrinkles. But look, that's that's for me to work out in my dreams.
Speaker 6: So yeah, that sounds like that.
Speaker 2: Yes, moving on to other things in my dreams. The Lakers.
Speaker 1: In my dreams, we're able to sort out a roster that makes sense. And I'm right now we're projected forty three and a half wins. That's down three and a half games from forty seven from last year.
Speaker 2: I'm I don't, I don't. I like you know how it works.
Speaker 1: It's a toxic positivity and I haven't quite quite gotten to the point where I'm feeling optimistic. I'm like, I need to see something more than Dalton connect that makes me feel like, oh maybe, or like footage of Bronzy like working on his like you know, the three point shooting game. Sure, that all looks great, but again, I would love a true big. You know, Austin Reeves said we could really use some bigs. Now, I understand for us to get the kind of big we want would require some real movement of assets, and we are limited in that, you know, capacity, So we have to really think smartly. Maybe we shouldn't just pile up, you know, the kinds of guys we had on minimums like we were doing. But my goodness, the inactivity is I don't even I don't even know what to make of it.
Speaker 2: For onlookers such as the two of yourselves, how do you look at the just static nature of the Lakers offseason?
Speaker 3: We have a note here from from Jabaris and are we all just stunned by the relative inactivity? Which is just such a Lakers fan not be to be stunned by an activity. Why we startled that they didn't get better or do anything?
Speaker 5: What is this?
Speaker 3: Yeah, but you were surprised?
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, I thought it was just kind of odd to see there were no additions in the season like crickets. But I guess if they found it to be successful last season and they can make it all click from the.
Speaker 6: Beginning, and that's what they're going to run with. But I do have questions, I have concerns.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I would I would probably take the under on that forty three and a half.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, it feels about right to me, Like I don't guess both of these seem about right to me. Like the Suns, like, I, you know, forty seven and a half feels like even though I don't think they're going to win a half a game, so it'll probably be either forty seven or forty eight, but like that feels about right, and like forty three forty four feels about right to me. For the Lakers, what do.
Speaker 2: You think are the Lakers a playing team?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I think they'll be thinking so last year that would have like put them in the mix to not make the plan. Yeah, I guess that would have. They would have been the very the twelfth seed last year after everyone.
Speaker 2: Yeah, which is which is tough. But again, you know there's oh my gosh, I don't even know.
Speaker 1: I'm like trying to pretend like things could get better, Like I'm I'm on like the Max Christie Copium train to or like I'm like, you know, maybe we're gonna do JJ Reddick can do something different with him, maybe he can't really coaches JJ Reddick man.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yo, you know I didn't want to say that part out.
Speaker 6: Wow, that really happened.
Speaker 2: So now we're so now we're really good?
Speaker 5: All right?
Speaker 2: Are you still? Are you still right there at forty three and a half, taking it down to like thirty.
Speaker 3: I think that makes it interesting, you know, I don't.
Speaker 6: I love that.
Speaker 2: Oh that makes it interesting.
Speaker 3: No, it does. Like it's it's a real volatile uh you know asset that we've stuck in the which I guess that almost always means like bad in uh stock, like financial stuff. I don't know, it could go either either way with JJ Reddick. Uh yeah, I don't know why. I totally memory hold that. I mean, my big thing for this one, this like Booker and KD, I feel like were about Like Booker was the best role player. It's like the Sons aren't looking for that to happen, like with the Olympic team, but bron was like the best player in the world in the Olympics. Like Ad was so good in the Olympics, Like was just like peak Ad. Like this is the team where I'm like, if we're gonna believe in anyone, like sprinkling some magic Olympics Parisian dust on themselves, this would be the one where you would want to believe in it. I just I think they're really good, like going back to the bubble, right, I think they're really good in fine night situations where it's not eighty two games, and then like the playoffs where you have to play in Denver for a whole seven game series and like a series to be like old in altitude, I feel like that I just don't have as much confidence that it's gonna it's gonna happen, but I would love for it too. I feel like I have good, a good feeling about them. The winning the n season tournament again, but that's new heights or the same single eliminate, you know, like that. It's just he's so good when he like can just like really focus and you know, can serve his energy and stuff like that. But eighty two games is a lot to ask at this point. I feel, yeah, I.
Speaker 5: Mean, I am fascinated by what the dynamic is going to be with JJ Reddick and his you know peers, his you know contemporaries that he's now going to be in charge of and managing and having to answer tough questions.
Speaker 2: Too and and make some tough decisions to as a coach.
Speaker 3: Like yeah, I like I've read up on his philosophy on basketball, and my main takeaway is hair too good. His hair too good to be basketball coach. You can't. You can't have hair that good and be a good basketball coach.
Speaker 6: Of some of it, like at the top at least like the credibility.
Speaker 1: Yeah, who is there anyone that we would give someone hair too good but also great coach?
Speaker 2: What do we think of?
Speaker 3: Chuck Daily had a good hair, but it was a floaty like it looked like it could have been cut by a floawby.
Speaker 1: So has got a good point, but it's different. Has a healthy head of hair, you know what I mean. I guess I'm talking about like when you go to go, oh.
Speaker 3: That's a that's a cool hair. That's a cool hair, a cool hair. As someone who know hair, cool hair, cool hair, that's cool hair. His hair always looks wet. We've had good coaches whose hair always looks wet, like pat Riley's hair always looks wet, and JJ's hair always looks wet, but it also looks like he just stepped out of the salon A lot of the time. It's just like two boy band for me. I think, I think, I think he just needs to come in with just a real like clean part nerdy ass hairdo just like get go to Brad Stevens barber and be like, give me the brad. He's like, I know nothing else, and you know, gives you the same haircut he's been given every other human who sat in his chair for the past hundred years, and then like that. I would feel better about that. But maybe I'm wrong.
Speaker 1: Jackson with his flow that yeah, you know, or even this is kind of an outsider pick, but long hair pop was also a vibe.
Speaker 2: I don't know if, but I was like this, this guy's cooking something up.
Speaker 3: I don't know what it is, have but tissue boxes on his feet.
Speaker 2: Let's get in the spruce goose and fly away. Oh man. So yeah, I'm I'm sadly I think I would take the under for the Lakers. I just don't.
Speaker 3: I think hair can work in college, like Quinn Snyder better better college, had better success in college, you know, but like it's too good in the NBA. I really think it's just like pat Riley pulling off the eighties. Gordon get Go was the most swag coach's hair has ever had.
Speaker 2: That's why Patino had that Gordon get Go flow too.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and he worked out really well in college. But you know, so that's that's my one note for you, JJ, and I know you're a listener, and I don't want you to be mad at me, but that's my that's my one note. Man, work on it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, less exactly, exactly exactly, all right, take a break.
Speaker 3: Yeah, let's take a quick break. We'll come back. We're going to talk about who they based these win totals. DraftKings expects to win the division. It's some one of the teams we've talked about so far. We'll be right back, and we're back. We are back, and this is specific to DraftKings, but it is notable. Like most most of these win totals from sportsbook to sportsbook are pretty in line with one another. DraftKings has the Kings at fifty point five wins. They won forty six last year. Most other sports books have them at forty six, forty six and a half. This what feels like DraftKings knows something.
Speaker 2: Do they have a DeLorean?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Do they have a sports almanac from the year twenty one hundred that they're looking at and can make some kind of.
Speaker 3: Big and just for them. They signed DeMar DeRozan, acquired Jayalen McDaniels. But I mean is the real one, right, Yeah, for sure, for sure got rid of Harrison Barnes.
Speaker 2: I think he's a good fit.
Speaker 1: He's efficient, reliable, he's gonna create, you know, get Darren Fox some good looks to get cooking. And again, I just hate that the Lakers haven't done a single thing to address their problems that were so apparent on paper.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, you did mention that, that does I see you.
Speaker 1: Mentioned that in the context of every Like, when I look at this, I'm like this. I would have loved them, anyone would have loved.
Speaker 3: Nice for you guys.
Speaker 1: Huh yeah, anything honestly, But I I guess is that really, like is that really the key? Because the way that they're the DraftKings are the DraftKings projections are working. It's almost like and this is the final piece of that light, the beam permanently, forever and ever and evermore, the eternal flame.
Speaker 2: The beam of the beam of love. Beam. Uh, Lena, what's your do you think that this is? It is fifty and a half at Where do you? Where are you? Yeah? Where are you at? I saw your shine.
Speaker 6: I'm I'm yes. That made me scrunch up my face a little bit.
Speaker 5: That's a bit surprising, I will say I do think, based of course on last season and the addition of DeMar Derozen, they probably have a good chance to win the division.
Speaker 6: For whatever that's worth.
Speaker 5: I think they will give the teams within that division more of a run for their money than they're expecting to. These are not the Kings of old. They are still on the upswing. Their ceiling has yet to be reached as a team. And with some of the moves with say like the Warriors and some of their other foes that they faced in the postseason and have faced throughout the regular season that they've given them fits, I think that they've met that place where they're able to find cohesive play on the court consistently and yes, keep that beam lit, and I think tomar de rozen being that X factor to that. Quite sure about that, but I am very intrigued to see how that all comes together and how Mike Brown can operate with this new big piece.
Speaker 6: And I mean the.
Speaker 5: Bonus has been their their glue guy in terms of just being able to find that success that they have been missing on a consistent level. And as long as he's healthy and as long as Darin's going, this team can go. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I feel like just seeing that, I was like, that was the one of all the teams we're talking about. I was like, I can foresee the improvement. I'm like, oh no, no, no, I can see how that works without being a little bit like I don't know about this and now I don't know if it's the huge jump that DraftKings has projected, but I definitely see that. You can already see, like with just how aggressive Damar is going to the rim, like he's just going to create those looks just collapsing. D's kicking it out and next thing, you know, three balls raining down upon us. But yeah, yeah, I guess to see them address the thing you know that they just I.
Speaker 3: Think I'm under on the Draft Kings. Yeah, under on Draft Kings over on the other sports books. If two to three wins lower, what.
Speaker 2: Would you what would you say if an improvement on forty six.
Speaker 3: From last year, I think they could be forty I'd say like forty eight forty nine feels about right for them. I can just like see people being like the addition of Demarto Rosen quietly like takes the Kings up to a new level. He just feels like one of those players who has been hiding out in Chicago, like, you know, just being amazing in games that weren't super consequential, but like when when you watched it was always something to behold. He was always really really good. Yeah, so I feel like I like where they're headed. There's just too many good teams in the West. But I do think I could see them picking up a win or two. Do you think so, Lena?
Speaker 5: Absolutely, I think they I don't know if four to five wins more is going to be what they see, but.
Speaker 6: You know they're going to be a team, a dark horse, I would say in the West.
Speaker 5: It's going to be I think, really competitive, you know, in spring after the trade deadline, and that's going to be exciting for all fans to watch, and every game is going to mean that much more.
Speaker 6: But then again, every game in.
Speaker 5: October is going to mean so much more because you can't let those ones go when you're thinking about every possible tiebreaker situation, you could be looking ahead to.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, well the Lakers will get off to a solid two and eighteen start.
Speaker 3: I feel like, you know, it always starts.
Speaker 2: We always love that.
Speaker 3: We love to start.
Speaker 2: Star on Ellie folks. Moving on Golden State.
Speaker 1: Now this one, I'm h I don't know, I don't know what to make of the Golden State Warriors.
Speaker 2: I I mean, I my heart says.
Speaker 1: Well, I think I think we can put a bow on this one, uh and just kind of begin to plan for the future here. But forty three and a half is what's predicted with Caesars. That would be what that would be down about two and a half games last season.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean they got Melton, who is one of my favorite seventy six ers over the past couple of years when he was healthy. Obviously wasn't healthy a lot last season. But I think that's a great addition. I think that that's probably an underrated edition. And you know, Clay was I don't I don't know how much he was helping them last season.
Speaker 1: I mean I know how much helped him in that last game they played, Yeah, and it was not at all. But I mean, I don't know, did you feel too, because it felt like at times he felt it. Clay looked a little down, you know, like as he was sort of reckoning with his own sort of skill set diminishing, or he felt like he's like, yeah, it's kind of definitely. I think I had better days, but now I have to deal with I'm on the other side of my career.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 2: Do you think that Do you think his presence may have been a distraction.
Speaker 1: Do you think that will be something that will just be missed because of his many years in Golden State in that locker room, or you think it just might just net out to like a plus minus zero, like a neutral effect on the team.
Speaker 6: I think it might have a neutral effect.
Speaker 5: I mean I was thinking, you know, life without Clay, but of course they've lived life without Clay for many seasons in recent seasons, just given his unfortunate injury history. But absolutely, I think just the finality of it, and knowing that this was coming up and likely coming to an end of this era, it's a cloud hanging over the locker room, and of course they're going to remain friends side of this team dynamic. But I think just moving on from that, I think they also added Buddy Heeld, so you supplement a little bit of three point shooting in.
Speaker 1: That Jack did not mention Buddy our famous I watched I watched Jack not mention Buddy right there.
Speaker 2: He said Anthony Melton.
Speaker 3: And I mentioned Melton, I mentioned Kyle Anderson. Yeah, I don't know. As a seventy six Ers fan who coveted Buddy Heel, you know there, he was always mentioned and the trade talked and then he finally came over. And I will just say, and it might might be our fault, might be just the seventy six ers vibe. But it felt a little underwhelming. Obviously, the the Golden State Warriors know what to do with shooting. But I think Melton and Kyle Anderson are going to be really good additions there. That's That's what I'll said.
Speaker 2: Uh yeah, I mean I could. I'm I think I'm gonna go under.
Speaker 3: Unfortunately, Yeah, a loss of two and a half wins, I'm gonna go over. Actually on this one, I'm gonna say that they're about at the same win total they were at last year, Right, forty.
Speaker 2: Six, Lena, you're scrunching the face too.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I'll go over. It's forty three and a half.
Speaker 3: Forty three and a half.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, I'll go slightly over. I'll take you over, just a scooch.
Speaker 2: What do we think Kaminga's contributional be this season? Because I know.
Speaker 1: I mean, I feel like there was like there was a lot of contention around his involvement and now I'm like, is he going to make some kind of step up?
Speaker 2: Is it going to be Puzzimski? Like there's these other players on the fringes?
Speaker 1: Yeah that I'm just like, who among you can fill in the gaps to kind of make this season memorable for a not a painful reason because I just part of me just feels just sees like a downward trajectory that I'm not sure they can fully kind of stop at this point.
Speaker 2: And I say that as somebody who's also on the sinking ship.
Speaker 3: So I just have to say love too.
Speaker 2: I know, I know how I sound right now.
Speaker 3: Yeah I don't. I don't know what cominga. I mean, Kamenga seems like he's up and down and like people thought he was. He was obviously a little bit better last year, But I don't feel like I know enough about Kamega and his off season to know what he's going to do this year. But like that my over under doesn't really take him in. Sure, Sure it's more than two guys they added in the loss of Clay, which feels like at this point, was he Clay wasn't really responsible for many wins above replacement.
Speaker 5: Yeah, right, Yeah, I think it's I think it's going to be a question of who who's going to be the auxiliary guy to jeaf And granted, any team that has Stephen Curry on it is probably going to be successful one way or another. And oh man, put it on his back and make it happen. But you're talking about eighty two games plus of that, right, and.
Speaker 3: You know, but if he shoots like he did in the at the end of that France game the whole season, just a step, can you extend that entire.
Speaker 2: Fourth quarter performance in the gold medal game?
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's the only game tape they show for the whole season. Yeah, Steve Kurtz like, bro, you know what, you know what we were doing in Paris. Just let's keep doing that, Just keep doing that, and we'll be all right, will.
Speaker 6: Be all right for America?
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly, exactly, and say bon nui, as they say in French good night.
Speaker 2: The Clippers are the last team we're going to cover here.
Speaker 7: He said that, so just unassuming the Clippers and look at this, what well one games last season and now they're projected to win forty and a half.
Speaker 2: That seems even as someone.
Speaker 1: Who as a as a rival, I'm like, that feels a little extreme. Uh, but I mean losing Paul George feels like a thing. A lot of fans were like, why huh, Jack, I know you you have now.
Speaker 2: You will welcome him into your Philadelphian.
Speaker 3: Embrace, m M city of brother leil.
Speaker 1: You feel you feel on your end, because I was what was the someone was putting out like how some coaches were rating the other team's offseason moves, and some people were like, Philly, Philly taking Paul George was in l. But then other people were like, Clippers losing Paul George wasn't. I don't know who this one person was who thought that that was an l in that direction.
Speaker 3: Coach Stephen A. Smith, Yeah, I don't know, but yeah, I think it could work out great if he stays healthy and yeah, sure, and Beid stays healthy. And there's just a lot of ifs for the seventy six ers and the Clippers still despite you know, Paul George, who whose health can be spotty, leaving the team, Uh, still have some ifs it turns out, Yeah, Kawhi Leonard and James Harden. I was big Kawhi, Like, guys, did you see how good he was in the beginning of the play in the game and a half he played before last year. And now I am no longer on I'm no longer that guy that it's that man is dead. The man said that about Kawhi Leonard.
Speaker 1: It's it's hard, I mean because like you think about all the the pieces they moved to, like get Kawhi and PG and then get James Harden and now the expectations are like I mean, every time it was like we are we feel the Warriors are like maybe on a potential downward trend, maybe this is our time to now move in and try and take up that mantle.
Speaker 2: But with a new stadium and everything, I don't.
Speaker 1: Know, it feels feels a little bit dodgy, uh, from my from from my vantage point. And I say that as somebody who who is counting on them to perform worse than Lakers, And I don't know if they'll be that bad, but I am invested. Lena, What's how are you feeling about the Clippers? Is this like does it reset time?
Speaker 6: Is it?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 6: No?
Speaker 2: No, you can there might be something here.
Speaker 5: I mean, I think they definitely already reset with the movement of two of their big stars, you know, in Russell Westbrook and Paul George, and I think it's hard to be a believer in Kawhi Leonard sadly, just to see his production on the court materialize remains a question every night every season.
Speaker 6: So I think it's tough to see them going to a deep run in the playoffs. I would say forty wins, I'll take the over. I think that yes, is an aggressive drop.
Speaker 5: But I don't know if they are going to find the success that they need to given what they have invested in this roster and what.
Speaker 6: They have given up in recent seasons to try and make it all work.
Speaker 5: And I think the most exciting thing will be this new stadium arena. I mean, shooting T shirts from the top of the Halo scoreboard.
Speaker 6: For fans, you know, and the wall.
Speaker 3: If you're a wall on that team, that's exciting. That's what you want to hear that the most exciting thing about the team is going to be the.
Speaker 2: Scoreboard, inanimate object that's part of the.
Speaker 3: Team that you just made Miles so happy. Lena I mean, I love.
Speaker 1: Look the fact is that it looks fantastic, Like I'm I'm really excited to see you what that place looks like. And I know that, look, you don't want to be fourth fiddle at the Staples Center after the Lakers, Kings and concerts. But you know, I think the the wall, I think is one of the most interesting things like about how they are really like you know, just the shape of that arena because you know, there's a lot of money going into it. The only thing though, too, is like the cost of the tickets is not low either, like they You're definitely looks like probably getting your money's worth based on what I'm seeing for what these first game ticket prices are looking like on the prime are they talking about like Lower Bowl is like three grand? Whoa for a Clippers ticket for the first game? Yeah, now it's the first game, mind you. Like, so it's definitely has the energy of like we're we're popping circumstance. Yeah yeah, we're let's pop champagne on this thing. But a lot of people were like whoa, whoa, that seems like a lot. Now I'm sure that maybe the ticket market will fluctuate, but either way, there's a.
Speaker 6: Lot of game there featuring Kaitlin Clark or is it.
Speaker 3: Starget point guard? Yeah?
Speaker 2: But yeah, I just I yeah, I think that I have to go to the over though.
Speaker 1: I will go the over though, because forty and a half just seems like I was a little it was like absurd.
Speaker 2: It's just absurd.
Speaker 6: But you talk about teams eating the l's, are the Clippers going to be that team? Then?
Speaker 2: Yeah? But are they going to fall ten and a half games?
Speaker 1: I could, like, I could see them eating a solid six, you know, down to maybe what forty four ish, forty five ish?
Speaker 3: Kawhi was healthy last year, like Kawhi was had a very healthy season for Kawhi Leonards last year relatively speaking, Yeah, relatively speaking, very healthy. Uh, they're losing Paul George James Harden has his moments, so I think this is about right. Maybe I'll go under on this one despite whoa.
Speaker 2: Yeah what wow?
Speaker 3: With three of forty Yeah, I can see that. Oh right, Unfortunately, I can see that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Okay, okay, okay, yeah, yeah, I wouldn't say that too.
Speaker 1: I didn't want to just seem like a full on Laker fan though, But I think I think they'll win twenty two games anyway, that's.
Speaker 2: What that's my feeling.
Speaker 3: Jabari just pointed out the last year was the most games played by Kawhi Leonards since twenty sixteen seventeen.
Speaker 2: So yeah, yeah, yep, yep, yep, yep.
Speaker 1: Well, look, I hope for optimism abounds for their fan base. The new logo looks great. The new logo looks great. I will say that looks fantastic.
Speaker 5: Does it.
Speaker 3: I don't I don't want to pile on. I don't want to pile on.
Speaker 2: That's why I said a compliment.
Speaker 3: That's yeah, that's why you said that with a I had something.
Speaker 2: In my eye, something in my eye on the side of it. That's why I said that.
Speaker 1: I was I saw some of my perith anyway, that's going to do it for this section of checking out what is happening.
Speaker 3: With the big vision. But that's lock. Those in those are all those. It's a lot of a lot of different like sports podcasts are like okay, and this one's a lot Every single one of the ones that I gave you is.
Speaker 2: A lock twenty two win projection for the Clippers and c k lock.
Speaker 1: Okay, take that to Love Bank all right, let's take a quick break and we'll come back to put our very dear friend Lena Washington in the hottest of hot seats for the rapid fire round of questioning.
Speaker 4: Read it for this, and we're back, and we are back.
Speaker 2: Oh Lena, Look, we love having you.
Speaker 3: Look, look, we love having.
Speaker 5: Ever.
Speaker 3: We're gonna have to do it to you. Unfortunately.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're in the hot seat. You already know what it is. It's the fourth quarter.
Speaker 1: It's the rapid fire round of questioning, quick questions, quicker answers, no filler, you.
Speaker 3: Get me, Myles. Why doesn't she look scared because she's she knows you did the evil laugh.
Speaker 2: I know she's unfazed. She's a competitor.
Speaker 3: She looked like she was trying not to as in Phoenix.
Speaker 5: So you say hot, I have to laugh at that idea, because whatever hot you're talking about, I guarantee.
Speaker 6: You I'm experiencing hotter out here.
Speaker 1: I think, quick question, I'd hate to sidetrack. Have you ever left something out in the Arizona heat and it just got ruined? You're like I left my sandal outside and it's.
Speaker 5: Absolutely I mean mainly like chocolate bars and you know wax hands.
Speaker 6: You know, you go to the Renaiss Festival.
Speaker 5: One you get like a wax statue and then you leave it on your mantle and then you come home from school one day in May and it's your peace sign.
Speaker 6: Looks more like uh yeah, yes, exactly. Yeah, yeah, so that has happened.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, because there was we had a heat wave and I had a sandal that shrunk in size.
Speaker 3: Oh it was weird.
Speaker 2: I know, I didn't have to.
Speaker 6: The ground.
Speaker 5: I know.
Speaker 1: No, there's that's I'm like, yo, I think these are this is what I get for buying seven dollars because they were.
Speaker 2: Like shrinky dinks.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they're like okay, soaking water for three days before using.
Speaker 6: Like the little the little foam dinosaurs.
Speaker 3: Yeah exactly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, No, I don't know what happened. Anyway, I'm gonna get some of those Arizona sandals. I can handle the Arizona in the.
Speaker 3: Sun, but here Jabari noted one hundred straight days of one hundred plus degree temperatures seventy six was the previous record.
Speaker 6: That was last year.
Speaker 3: That's yo, that is intense and that's yeah.
Speaker 1: Well okay, well, look, I don't want to keep you knowing that you are your the clock is running also against the time of the sun and its heat.
Speaker 6: So we were I want you to know, like you're talking hot we know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, all right, sorry, more of a like we so our legal team has asked us to clarify. It's more of an itchy seat. It's actually it's just kind of like uncomfortable. It's like, do you have any allergies?
Speaker 6: Like, are you gonna need a cream after that?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 1: No, it's just more irritating. It's no, it's just irritating. I think that was the word.
Speaker 2: They said.
Speaker 1: This segment seems more irritating than anything. And really, well, you know that it all depends on them.
Speaker 3: Right anyway? Clock? Oh my god, he's so mad.
Speaker 2: Lena Washington, I'm gonna start off. You know how these I don't.
Speaker 3: I can't. I can't vouch for him like this. Stay out of this. I told you.
Speaker 2: If you're not with me, you're against me too.
Speaker 6: The viewers.
Speaker 1: Okay, first question, Lena, and this is up, and I must ask are you from the state of Arizona?
Speaker 2: Are you born and raised?
Speaker 6: I am born and race.
Speaker 1: Okay, then you should nail this part, this one out of the Park, Lena, Washington.
Speaker 2: What is the state bird of Arizona?
Speaker 6: The cactus run?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 3: Wow, no, hesitas, absolutely you.
Speaker 6: Missus Mallan's third grade.
Speaker 3: Class cactus wren. Miles Gray. You were born and raised in California. What is the state bird of California?
Speaker 6: I got that one for you too. I got that one for you too. It's a condor.
Speaker 2: It's no, it's the quail.
Speaker 3: Oh in California quail. Yeah, California kuayel.
Speaker 2: Yeah, official state bird.
Speaker 5: I did that.
Speaker 1: It was one of our most important birds because it was on the brink of extinction. I remember doing a book report on that in third grade. And I do know that our flower is the golden poppy. What is the state flower of Arizona?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 6: That is a good question, is it? I don't know. A desert a cactus rose.
Speaker 2: It's the tomorrow.
Speaker 6: Rose, just to worrow, just the plane o.
Speaker 3: The blossom of the of the And we're getting California bird because I thought California condor also was the official bird of California, the California condor. And then they were like, our state birds should have a stupid little hat. We should make it the California quail. Because they get it's got like a little wear hat. Well, the quail has like a little Yeah, it looks kind of like a flapper. It's cute.
Speaker 6: It's cute.
Speaker 1: It changed in nineteen thirty one, so I don't know who was who previously was the holder of that title from nineteen thirty one and then before that. But anyway, all that to say is we have to keep this moving. It's not about my knowledge of my own state, which I barely have a grasp on. It's about yours. And you've actually nailed this.
Speaker 3: Producer Jabari unfortunately gave us the said answer to my question. The condor went extinct in eighty seven, so that's why.
Speaker 6: Or get loose on the ice baker Field.
Speaker 3: Oh really, yes, famously in the wild.
Speaker 6: That's plansom.
Speaker 3: They actually only exist at hockey games. I don't know all right. Is the nineteen ninety five All Star Game uniform the best ever?
Speaker 5: I would say, yes, It's got all you want from a Phoenix centric All Star jersey. I mean, the purple, the sunburst, the spawn, just everything about it I think just resonates and speaks to the Southwest.
Speaker 3: It looks like an arts and crafts project. My eight year old would do at school. Oh, that's actually a good thing because it's like really bringing nineteen ninety five energy. You know, well, yeah, your kids. It's got like a cutout cactus right.
Speaker 5: Almost any fashion from the nineteen nineties. If you asked me about it, I will defend it. I'm sorry, dobas whatever you know, bright colors, the crint hair, anything and everything that says nineties.
Speaker 2: It okay.
Speaker 3: Next question is the correct answer.
Speaker 1: Lina Washington of the state of Arizona. What is your favorite non Arizona Arizona brand? Is it Arizona Jeans Company or Arizona Iced Tea, both famously not from Arizona, but using the name.
Speaker 2: To evoke a whimsical Southwestern image in our minds.
Speaker 6: It would have to be Arizona Iced Tea.
Speaker 5: Just formative memories of getting a can for the road on the way to a movie or the park, or you know, it's just a good old standby.
Speaker 6: And there are variations of the can.
Speaker 5: The best flavor I typically go for either the sweet tea or the good old green ginseing honey. Yeah, personally, so depending on how we're doing it. But you have like the mango flavor, you have a I think a watermelon flavor.
Speaker 6: Got the raspberry. You've got whatever you need.
Speaker 5: Arizona iced Tea's got you, and they're not going to cost you more than two bucks ide.
Speaker 6: It's that thing absolutely.
Speaker 2: Because it's still affordable. Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 3: The fans are designed by the same people who designed the nineteen ninety five All Star Game uniform. So yeah, that's checks out, all right, Lena, What alternate reality scenario do you wish really happened? If you could just like take one like so for instance, this comes from Paul Garaventa in the discord, who says, for me, it's what if the Blazers had drafted Kevin Durant over Odum. They already had Brandon Roy and Aldridge and assuming they still got Andre Miller and Marcus can Be the following season, that is a solid lineup. What say you? What is what is a what if it gets you excited?
Speaker 5: I mean the recency bias for me, and just because I was working in the market at the time, would be if the King's drafted Luke instead of Marvin Bagley and that draft, how.
Speaker 3: Do you think that would have been better? Well, it's not like everyone was saying that at the.
Speaker 6: Time, definitely not definitely not How how you know the career trajectory of Luca.
Speaker 5: And Deer and Blotti, Divots and Kajasriyokovic, who are part of the front office at the time, Just how that would have expedited the success this franchise experience and all the questions surrounding the competence of the front office. How those questions would have been suspended, likely for quite some time.
Speaker 6: I would think.
Speaker 3: It wouldn't have been the Kings, though, it wouldn't be the Kings, you know, so.
Speaker 5: The Kings are going to They were definitely King Kings and Kings. But yeah, that's that's the quickest alternate reality that I can think too.
Speaker 3: For me, it's always going to be what if the Philadelphia'sleveties victors had traded Ben Simmons instead of letting Jimmy Butler go to them heat. I don't know if it's even a realistic scenario because I think Jimmy Butler wanted out, But like, you could have gotten really good value for Ben Simmons. And everybody's heard me say this already, so but I can't stop myself when this sort of question.
Speaker 2: Comes up alternate realities can be fun.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, man, that team was man b roy I was that was like one of the first non Laker jerseys I wanted to buy.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, yeah, this feels. This feels I like this game like this guy.
Speaker 1: Well, Lena Washington, you've actually answered every single question correctly.
Speaker 3: Someone, are you looking at our answers?
Speaker 6: I have a copy of the brick and the key on my hand.
Speaker 2: That's whine. You sold this.
Speaker 1: You sold this because those answers came out so organically and so natural and so accurately.
Speaker 3: Thing is like legitimately, who knows that that's important?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, that was you do.
Speaker 6: On the Five Seas, which I think I would have stumbled on, to be.
Speaker 3: Honest, the Five Seas.
Speaker 6: Yeah, Arizona. You know copper citrus cattle climate and hotten.
Speaker 2: Copper cattle, cotton citrus climate.
Speaker 5: Wow, yes, yes, those were the foundational the foundational economic drivers of people to Arizona.
Speaker 6: That is one hundred correct, Jack.
Speaker 1: But when we're not talking about the problematic cotton either, hopefully I know enough history to know that.
Speaker 2: Wasn't that kind.
Speaker 6: I don't know how south we were in the southeast.
Speaker 2: Predicted will cut.
Speaker 1: Lena Thank you again so much for joining us, blessing our show, classing up the joint with your Emmy Award winning presence.
Speaker 2: Where do the people find mony?
Speaker 3: Sorry?
Speaker 2: Sorry, sorry, three multi Emmy Award one friend.
Speaker 6: I count it like beest. You know what I'm saying. I'm always a pleasure to be on with you guys. Thank you again for having me. If you're checking for me, I'm on the Socials l Washington TV.
Speaker 5: If you live in the Greater Phoenix or Flagstaff area, you can find me on twelve News.
Speaker 6: The NBC affiliate.
Speaker 5: Sunday Night Football returns this week, so you can catch me right after every Sunday Night football game or Thursday Night football game on NBC and after Big Ten Football on NBC on Saturdays.
Speaker 6: And if you're in high school.
Speaker 5: Football, tune in for Friday Night Fever Fridays at eleven thirty five after Jimmy Fallon. We are getting ready for our first full, busy week of football, and it is going to be full steam ahead for eighteen plus weeks and then hopefully then includes a little you know, MLB playoff run, maybe a little Sun's playoff run on the back end next year. So I look forward to hopefully check it in with you guys some time along that journey. Which driving the bus here.
Speaker 3: You Which of the which of the iconic three point celebrations did you do after winning your third Emmy? Did you do the three to the head like Carmelo or Yeah?
Speaker 5: Probably that's probably my go although you know the guys that USA Basketball said Drew Holidays, you know, a little.
Speaker 6: Like that was the crowd favorite.
Speaker 5: But I think, you know, Bogdan Bogdanovitch can't be doing all that, but I think I can get away with it.
Speaker 6: Yeah, absolutely mellow and on big stages and whatnot.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, amazing.
Speaker 6: But I will look for my five Timers jersey or hat in the in the mail.
Speaker 3: No, it's gone, it's going, it's going, it's coming. It's not there yet.
Speaker 4: Oh my, what I haven't been, so.
Speaker 1: I'll just have Yeah, I'll have to let me verify your address again off Mike really quick, just to make.
Speaker 2: Sure, because that's weird. That's weird because I know it was coming from parents. We just paid for the shipping and everything.
Speaker 6: Oh oh yeah, well yeah, maybe.
Speaker 2: It's a wrong address. You know how this stuff happened? Porch pirates you never know what happens.
Speaker 1: You never know what's going on, but anyway, you can find us at the hashtag mad boosti's bw sd I E S for show links and updates, and that's where you can also find the information to join our discord server, where you can be like Paul Garavena and ask questions that make it into the rapid fire round of questions.
Speaker 2: Make sure you follow us on Twitter. You can find me at Miles of Gray.
Speaker 3: Time at Jack Underscore O'Brien and this.
Speaker 1: Has been another flawless installment of Miles and Jack got Mad Mads.
Speaker 2: We'll see you next week. Bye muss Us, muss Us and s.