Speaker 1: Hi, Sabrina. Hey, Will I got a question? Yes, if a train lives New York going sixty two miles? Now I'm kidding. What's your favorite Halloween movie of all time?
Speaker 2: Oh? Oh, now that I've like, I don't even know why that took me a second. Hocus Pocus, hands down? Yes, I love? And I just now started thinking is Monroe too young to watch it? She's five, and I want her to love it like I do, so I don't want it to be too early. What do you think I don't want five?
Speaker 1: You want my honest opinion? Yes, I'm going to freak you out. Okay, never seen it?
Speaker 2: That does?
Speaker 1: And my friend is in it? Like I literally I've never seen it. Oh, it's so I can't tell if it's never seen it?
Speaker 2: That's wild? Will, Yeah, I don't. I don't really even know what to say about it because that's just crazy to me.
Speaker 1: Never seen it is that nuts? Yeah? I really I am disappointed in Giant Letter. Yes, I have never seen Hocus Focus.
Speaker 2: It's so good.
Speaker 1: Have you seen Break into Electric Boogoloo?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: Okay, so then we're both disappointments.
Speaker 2: But I know that's not a scary one because you don't like scary, of course not.
Speaker 1: It's not scary at all. It's just awesome. I'm just saying awesome. But it's like all disappointment.
Speaker 2: It's a Halloween movie.
Speaker 1: Focus.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, no, yours, no, God.
Speaker 1: It's nothing. What's fair to do with Halloween. I'm just saying I'm disappointed that you haven't seen it. See, we can both have disappointments in our.
Speaker 2: Life of not being but it's your favorite Halloween.
Speaker 1: I don't really have one. No, well, not crazy because I'm not a huge Halloween guy. I never have been. I don't like being scared. Being scared is really scary, and I'm not a huge candy guy. Dressing up it's not my favorite thing, and being outside and walking with a bunch of strangers also not my favorite thing. It's just it's kind of not my jam Halloween. So I met my Answervie scrooged with Yeah, scrooged with Bill Murray. Great Christmas movie, Yeah, I've got Wow.
Speaker 2: I love Halloween.
Speaker 1: Wow, you do? I do?
Speaker 2: I do?
Speaker 1: Which is brew going on there? Wow?
Speaker 2: Yes, Halloween is so fun. I'm actually having a really hard time figuring out what my family's well, I know, what our main family, uh, for Halloween itself, but I'm going to like a special Disney it's on the Disney lot, Like I'm going to a fun Disney event, and I've I cannot think of something that I want to do for the family for that event, and I put a to have for everything. Yes, I do. Like last year we were a league of their own and Monroe and I wore the pink little dresses.
Speaker 1: Jordan was the The Incredibles.
Speaker 2: No, we haven't done that yet, and Perfecta's I'm saying, yeah, it's just yeah, that's like to me. The event we're going to Zombie Oh, that's right, Zombie Descendants. Okay, Yeah, I've got a. I put a lot of effort into our costumes. I loved ours. Last year Ledger was a baseball so I wanted something really focused around him. The year before more Monroe was Marilyn Monroe and we were all her like backup dancers in the tuxes. Yeah, monsters in she was boo. I mean, I love doing the family. The family stuff is what it's about. I love it and I usually have at least two to one year. One of the first years Jordan and I were together I went to so many Halloween events that I probably had like five different costumes. Oh my god, it takes a lot of time. I'm actually kind of stayed up last night racking my brain, going what are we going to do for the second one? It's it's so important. The pictures are amazing.
Speaker 1: I can tell you what I'm gonna do. I'm gonna do what I do every year. I'm gonna lock the gate, shut off the line.
Speaker 2: You don't even pass out candy.
Speaker 1: Even if we kept the gates open. Nobody on our street ever gets strict.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, our neighborhood does not have a lot of tricker treaters either.
Speaker 1: Like literally zero, Yeah, nobody shows up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So I think I'm gonna at least put some candy out and not care if someone comes and just takes the whole role that can and.
Speaker 1: I know what I'm gonna be doing on Halloween. I'm driving down to the OC to get a bowl of candy.
Speaker 2: Yes, there you go, or I could just amazon you some.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that'd be great. That's awesome. If you could do it overnight, i'd appreciate. I'd like it your by tomorrow. Thank you everybody, and welcome back to magical rewind the show that makes you want to grab your friends, your pjs, and your popcorn and go back to a time when all the houses are smart, the waves tsunamis, and don't come to my house on Halloween. Yes, Halloween steadily approaches, as does our constant need to review d coms. And this week we're checking two different boxes, my friend scares and sequels, because we're tackling two thousand and ones. Returned to a classic Halloween Town two. This time it's personal. That's not what it's called, everybody, it's Calibars revenge. It originally aired October twelfth, two thousand and one, a few weeks away from Halloween, which you know makes sense thematically. It is the second installment in the Halloween Town series, and story wise, is set just two years after the end of our first film. Now, if y'all remember, we really like the original, a movie that has become a crucial part of the spooky season and all the Lexicona films. People make this a thing. You gotta watch Halloween Town every year. And some may even call this movie Godfather iiO of d coms because many fans find the second film to be better than its predecessor. Paste Magazine heard of that one, but Paced Magazine actually ranks Halloween Town two as the third best Disney Halloween movie, out ranking the OG and Collider lists Halloween Town two as the ninth best dcom over all.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: And most of these positive reviews have to do with the movies darker and scarier tone in comparison to the first movies, kind of goofy and campy vibes. Halloween Town two would be followed by two more Halloween Town movies, but let's just say neither of those made any lists and went back to being more comedic in tone. Apparently we haven't seen those yet, but we shall see. Also, many of the reviews cite an episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer called Halloween that aired four years earlier as the inspiration for this film, because it has the exact same plot. Sabrina, did you watch Buffy?
Speaker 2: I did?
Speaker 1: Do you remember the Halloween episode?
Speaker 2: I feel like they were all kind of Halloween episode.
Speaker 1: Well, they're all they're all mystical kind of thing.
Speaker 2: They know. No, I don't, I do not remember, And I really did like Buffy the Vampire Slayer, so I am sure if I started watching it, I would have remembered it. I will remember it for sure.
Speaker 1: This movie is filmed in We've got a big shock here people, Canada, Yes, Vancouver and British Columbia be exact. But one very weird thing about this movie is the title Calibar is spelled with a K, yet in the first movie, the villain's name is spelled with a C, and most importantly, in the credits of this movie, it also starts with the sea. It's also spelled with the C in the captions. So talk about confusing, and the captions help when you're old and also when you're old, so it was great to have those on and yes they're so a little confusing now. Disney casting and legal always seems to pull off the unthinkable by getting the exact same cast back for a sequel, and Halloween Town two is no exception. Everyone returned except for one cult classic character in his voice. Benny the Skeleton taxi driver did return, but now is voiced by Richard Side, replacing the films first it was Reno Romano, who is a very good guy, great voiceover actor and fellow Batman, and yet the film persisted. Good for them and it's available now to watch on Disney Plus. You can jump right into it right away or wait until after you listen to our thoughts. But either way, please remember that in many places, when you buy a new mattress, the retailer is legally required to offer to take away your old one for free. In California, for example, mattress retailers must offer no charge take back upon delivery. Just something you should all know, Sabrina, we knew about Halloween Town two as a film. Did you know about the other title that Calibar's Revenge? And most importantly, had you ever seen it before?
Speaker 2: I had not seen this one before, and I had no idea there was a second part of the title. I just know of Halloween Town one, two, three.
Speaker 1: Three four, that's it, okay, Calibar's Revenge. I didn't know what it was called either, no idea.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean I remembered Calibar from the first when I put it on. I remember it from the first one, of course, But other.
Speaker 1: Than that, I frankly thought the twist at the end of this movie was going to be that it was the same Calibar and he like came back and younged himself. Up, not that it was his kid acually going to be him right, which would have been an interesting way to go. But anyway, do you watch any certain movies at Halloween every year?
Speaker 2: I do. I watch hocus Pocus every year, and in my head, what I would love to do is watch as add this to our list of stuff for the kids. They are such great movies, and I've always heard such great things about them, and I remember the first one always being amazing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this one could be a little scary anyway, So open the portal and stop the spell. It's time for the synopsis. What an angry warlock steals a powerful spell book from her grandmother, Marnie Piper must race against time with the help of her friends and family to stop him from turning Halloween Town into a gray, lifeless realm. This movie was directed by Mary Lambert, who did not direct the original That was Duane Dunham. But it's always it's great see a female listed in the credits. Mary has had a long and very impressive career, first breaking out as the music director for Madonna. Her career began with the nineteen eighty four hit Borderline and would include the iconic visuals for lack of virgin material girl and like a prayer. She made videos that helped define the medium absolutely arguably some of the best ever. She also worked with The Gogs, Jana Jackson and Bobby Brown. Awesome. She transitioned into movies and was apparently a big horror fan, starting with another sequel, Pet Cemetery I, this time It's Personal Again, and then the TV show Tails from the Crypt So yep, she must like the spooky stuff. Since then, she's directed a bunch of modern TV like The Blacklist, The Goldbergs Arrow, and the recent Netflix movie with Heather Graham and Jason Biggs Best Christmas ever, So shout out to Mary Lambert. Pretty amazing career. And on the acting side, former Magical Rewind guest Kimberly j. Brown returns as the lead Marnie Piper. Kimberly was already in three Broadway shows at the age of nine and got an Emmy nomination at eleven, So what have you done with your life? We also remember her as the star of Quint's another d com, and she does appear in the first three of the four Halloween Town movies until she was unceremoniously replaced by Sarah Paxton, and I just how do you? Okay, I don't get how you do that. And I'm not just saying that because she's a friend of mine. I just don't get how you do that. Brown has embraced her position as a Halloween icon, writing the twenty sixteen children's book Poppin's Pumpkin Patch Parade. I'm gonna say that one again, Poppin's Pumpkin Patch Parade. Can you say that one time for me?
Speaker 2: Popkin's Pumpkin Patch Parade.
Speaker 1: No, it's not Popkins, it's Poppins.
Speaker 2: Poppins.
Speaker 1: See it's not easy. Poppy's Poppin Patch Parade. Thank you. And she runs an Etsy shop with some Halloween Town theme merchandise, And in twenty twenty four, she was in the news when she married her Halloween Town co star Daniel Koontz. So yeah, apparently Calibar not such a bad guy. They reconnected in twenty sixteen when he reached out to make a fun YouTube video and the rest is history. And now is a wonderful time to tell you that Daniel will be the guest and the Magical Rewind Parkopper episode this week, So we're thrilled for you to get to know him a little bit better, but probably not as well as his wife does. And we call it the Dabney Reynolds sherif for a reason, and this week she returns to it. It's the legendary Debbie Reynolds as Aggie Cromwell. She is a dcom royalty for this movie. With a Hollywood career that lasted seventy years. She starred in movies like Singing in the Rain, How the West Was Won, The Unsinkable Molly Brown, which she was OSCAR nominated for, and Albert Brooks's Mother. She was also one of the earliest tabloid queens. Her personal life always part of pop culture and listened to everything else she was part of. She was a cabaret performer, later opening her own dance studio here in Los Angeles, which Sabrina has talked about many times. She was Tony nominated, Emmy nominated for Will and Grace. She was also an entrepreneur, owning her own Las Vegas casino, Damn. Debbie Reynolds passed away in twenty sixteen at the age of eighty four, just one day after the death of her daughter, Carrie Fisher, who is of course, best known as Princess Leah in Star Wars, which also means Reynolds is the grandmother of actress Billy Lord. We have now been doing this podcast for a long time. We reviewed many dcoms, and I think I could say without a doubt we are yet to come across a bigger star. Would you agree?
Speaker 2: Absolutely?
Speaker 1: She absolutely a absolute legend. She was a legend when she's alive. Now she's going to be a legend forever.
Speaker 2: It was one of my favorite things going to the Demie Reynolds dance studio is she was there so often, so she would be behind the desk.
Speaker 1: Did you talk toever?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I mean she was so friendly and so just always bringing such a positive attitude. And I feel like she really and from the interviews we've had from the guests of the movie, like talks about how she really took on such a huge importance of inspiring the next generation. And I will tell you I was so little and just thought by I mean, I feel like my whole face would just be flushed. I was so excited to get to see her, and she would just always say the night, love your outfit, even if it's just something like that or go kill him kid, you know, or whatever, like go in there and just anything going in because whether it was an audition or a class, she just wanted you to feel so inspired. And I feel like everyone that went has gone to that studio definitely feels that.
Speaker 1: That's awesome. I love that. It's also worth noting that Reynolds appeared in all four Halloween Town movies, as does Judith Hoague, who returns as Gwen Cromwell. Piper Hogue had been seen in TV shows like Quantum Leap, Roseanne, and melrose Place, Awesome List, as well as in a big blockbuster movie, Armageddon. But our listeners will freak out knowing she was April O'Neal in the nineteen ninety cinematic attempt at a teenage mutant Ninja Turtles.
Speaker 2: Movie, And you guys got a listen to that interview because that was one of the best inspirational stories she told us about Debbie Reynolds.
Speaker 1: It was really cool. Also, in her first movie role ever, despite being a small one as vampire girl, It's local Canadian hire Jessica Lucas. Jessica has gone on to appear in a ton of stuff, Make the Crossover to American mainstream at times. You may know her from movies like She's the Man Cloverfield, which if you want to vomit while watching movie because all they do is shake a camera, go help yourself, and the twenty thirteen version of Evil Dead, or TV shows like Gotham, where she played Tigris aka Tabitha Gallavan. Also Joey Zimmerman. Another kid actor who appear in all four movies is Dylan Piper, while Philip Van Dijk also returns as Luke. And this movie's length, Oh oh people, Oh people, how about eighty minutes? Eighty minutes people, it takes longer to eat dinner. What a day. This has turned out to be ten below the target, which is worth the celebration. That's my fake trumpet horn sound whatever. Thank you. Halloween Town two, May you always be held at a higher regard than Halloween Town one, which is eighty four minutes. Still an impressive number, but at the end of the day longer. Yes, oh my. And as far as the script, the writer for Halloween Toown one, Paul Burnbaum, is credited for characters created by but now the full credit goes to the other two writers. In the first film Ali Marie Matheson and John Cooksy. They first worked together on Rugrats, then shows like So Weird and The Collector. Both Mathieson and Cooksy had been quiet for the past almost twenty years, but burn Bomb pop back up in twenty twenty three as the writer of Maggie Moore, a movie starring Tina Fe and John Ham which was directed by John Slattery. So let's ride the line between monsters and mortals. Because someone is ready to avenge his daddy. It's Halloween Town two, Klibar's revenge.
Speaker 2: Every time you say daddy, I cannot not giggle his daddy.
Speaker 1: Hey, Daddy, I'd ride Daddy. Daddy. Daddy is coming to revenges dadda. That's just the way it is. We opened with a small recap from Marty reminding us of everything that happened in Halloween Town one. We also see sites from the very Happy Creature infested actual Halloween Town and are reintroduced to the Cromwells. Marnie's family. Her mom Gwen, her grandma Aggie, her sister Sophie, and her brother Dylan were shown moments from their past battle with the evil warlock Calibar by the way spell with the CEA in the caption, so again adding to the confusion. Also, I gotta say, the costumes again in this franchise so great, both in the first one and this one, so many different costumes of the actors probably had to sit and makeup chairs for hours. But I got to say, with the monsters that they do, it's kind of riding the line between caricaturey and spooky. Not necessarily scary, but pretty awesome.
Speaker 2: What do you think, Yes, absolutely, but to the point where they're so good that when they're next to other people that might not have like not a great one, right, it's kind of like, uh, you know that that bad background actors like.
Speaker 1: Damn yeah, Like you got their late Billy, You.
Speaker 2: Got their late Billy Bob exactly.
Speaker 1: If you got there on time, you would have been cool one eye guy. But no, you're it's always the way that it is. Next, we learn that Grandma Aggie left Halloween Town after defeating Calibar and moved in with the Cromwells in the Mortal world. And now it's Halloween night again, the only time of the year where you can travel between the two worlds freely. Marnie's at her computer, updating her life via her writing on something called Google Chat. That was a very nineties prodigy slash aol vibes. By the way, it still on aol aol rid or died. I guess it's a you think I'm kidding, I am. I guess it's a chat room where whatever the other person writes is then read to you in a scary voice. I wasn't entirely sure, but I get what they're doing with the spookiness. Her mom and grandma are fighting again, and there's a party she's avoiding currently downstairs at her house, but then she feels the presence of a scary face in her room. But before she can really let that sink in, Sophie calls her downstairs to the party. Marnie uses her powers to quickly change into a witch costume for the festivities, which honestly feels kind of a little on the nose. For the costume, I figured she could have maybe gone with something else, but they wanted her to be a witch for the rest of the movie, So I get that. Yeah, maybe something I don't know. Yeah, now we are downstairs. Marnie has joined her grandma, who is playing party host. But Marnie's mom, Gwen, is not exactly excited about the party. She sees it as just exposing the ways of Halloween Town to everyone in the neighborhood. But Aggie thinks her behavior is just rejecting her own heritage, especially since Marnie is the future of the bloodline. The tension is undeniable as Grandma rushes off to her room to look into her crystal ball and see what's happening in Halloween Town. And Okay, I was a little confused here. I thought she ran in and was looking at the crystal ball and was using it as like a television TV. Yes, and she was watching a show from Halloween Town.
Speaker 2: Even when as she's talking, I thought she was talking to the cake. It seemed like her favorite soap opera. Yes.
Speaker 1: Oh, I'm so glad you thought the same thing I did.
Speaker 2: I was like, then when I realized she was at some point during her dialogue when you know the next part where the little that they come in to to her room, is like, oh, that wasn't a TV. Okay, so we're actually looking got it. I didn't get that, I.
Speaker 1: Thought, who I thought the same thing. I was like, is she watching but then my first thought was like, oh, this is really clever, like she's watching a soap opera from Halloween Town. Great idea, And then I was like, oh, oh, I did, but I thought that was kind of kind of cool. Yeah, but on this crystal Ball, she sees a young girl asking for a school donation from a grumpy creature named Gort, who steals everyday items that humans lose, like socks or puzzle pieces. Sophie enters her grandma's room just in time to see Benny, the skeleton cab driver from the first movie. Sophie knows her grandmother misses all of her friends in Halloween Town and suggests visiting tonight while the portal is still open, but Aggie says going back for a few hours is even harder than not going at all. She'll go next year when Marny can become the Cromwell, head of the Witches and choose which realm she will call home. She's gonna live there for a year, But Sophie's attention is elsewhere. She feels the presence of someone coming, and it's not good. Downstairs, Marnie has caught up with her mom to clear the air. She loves her mom and is not choosing sides, but she is a witch at the end of the day. Gwen explains that if you can achieve something with magic, you won't appreciate it. And if Marnie chooses to join Halloween Town as a witch, then it will become her life and she'll become a stranger on earth. And that's when a cute boy named Cal arrives. Oh it's Cal. We know. Marnie's happy about it for two reasons. First, she scrunches up her nose and says the bomb And second, I got it this guy. Go back and watch it again. She knows this dude up and downy is a piece of sausage.
Speaker 2: I know, and all I can keep thinking of as I had to pause because I went, wait, is this her husband? Now?
Speaker 1: Yes, it is.
Speaker 2: It is because I knew he was in the movie, and I wasn't sure because I watched the movie before I look through any of our stuff, so that I'm like getting a clean, you know, clear look at it. And I just remember going because I wasn't sure if he was in the first movie was at the brother I couldn't really remember it was the guy the the Warlock from Halloween Town. I couldn't really, you know, And then I'm going.
Speaker 1: Is this it?
Speaker 2: And I had to Now I have to look on Instagram. I'm like, oh yeah, and I remember her saying no sparks flew when they filmed, and I'm going, now, I don't believe yet.
Speaker 1: Because you go back and just watch her. She's looking this dude up and down like he is for sakee.
Speaker 2: He's a good looking guys at an age where she is now, I mean, she is looking for a boyfriend.
Speaker 1: So I know what. Damn I mean, damn. Had this been reversed and it was a guy looking, oh looking a girl up and down, it would have been a.
Speaker 2: Double completely inappropriate.
Speaker 1: Okay, why don't we just focus on her eyes, maybe smile a little bit.
Speaker 2: But I love seeing that in these Disney Channel movies because there's just something that like, especially girls, when they get the like tangles of a cute boy around, they cannot hold themselves back. Our good friend, Christy Carlson Romano is.
Speaker 1: A shout out, Christy, I love you, Christy. I love that. But yes, she wow, she's very into this guy. Right away. He's followed in by his single dad Alex another cutie. They just moved in down the street and heard about the party. Now, yes, I get this is supposed to be a not only small town, but also there. This is part of the the the like the the plan. You know that, you get it. They want to get there, they want to bring But at first I was like, who just hears about a party and then just shows up? Shows up like we've never met. But I'm just going so it's good that it was part of a plan. Ease.
Speaker 2: At first, I was like that, I will say, if you are invited or not invited and you go to a Halloween party with not a stitch of a costume, that is just complete party etiquette that you have failed because you go to cost you've got to have something, not even if this is my Halloween T shirt.
Speaker 1: Like he was dressed as your future husband, that's the that's the role he was playing, was future husband. I like it exactly, I mean I thought the same.
Speaker 2: He looked great though, he really did like cute boiler like it was cute.
Speaker 1: Do we have one that could have been on your wall as a kid? Is this one that what might.
Speaker 2: Have done it?
Speaker 1: No? I can't freaking find anybody you know.
Speaker 2: Failed me.
Speaker 1: Anyway, everyone seems very interested in one another, and the flirting starts very quickly with both mom and daughter. It got a little creepy. Marnie ends up giving cow a house tour and finds out they just moved in tonight. Nearby, Dylan asked cool girl Sindy to the Halloween dance tonight because apparently the same night they're throwing a party, there's also a dance at school, which I found that you couldn't have couldn't have made it tomorrow.
Speaker 2: But anyway, well, it seems like this party is very early.
Speaker 1: And I get it's supposed to be Halloween, so everything's supposed to be taking place on Halloween because that's when the portals are the closest, so it also to take place in the same time. But it's weird that there's a party and then a dance, like either make it the party or the dance. Yeah, it just seemed like a strange kind of Yeah, it seems like they're throwing a lot in there.
Speaker 2: Well, somebody who's invited to multiple Halloween parties. Yes, that's true to jump around.
Speaker 1: Yeah you are, Yeah, that's true. You are. You're you're the bell of the Halloween parties. I'm telling you so. Yes. Dylan asks cool girl Cindy to the Halloween dance tonight, but she's not impressed by his lack of enthusiasm about the holiday. He's not dressed up, and since most disgusting costume gets a prize at the unmasking at midnight, he is not ideal, so she rejects him and calls him gross, which seems like an overreaction, but okay, sure now stairs, Marti has brought Cal to her.
Speaker 2: Bedroom inappropriate, not okay.
Speaker 1: Pretty forward. He says her room is more conventional and ordinary looking than she is. She mentions her grandmother's room less boring and leads him to the secret space, already holding hands. This to me was very I found her extraordinarily forward.
Speaker 2: I'm already irritated with her letting these feelings go so far to you are legitimately not following the rules because her mom has already stated they She did not want people walking around her house, which is very normal for a mom at a party. No, we're keeping everyone downstairs. Number one, I don't want to get Steff destroyed. And number two, I don't want people just like roaming my house. So that's normal. Yes, you're right, and then she's instantly breaking that rule then exposing a huge part of her grandmother's like magical, very mystical looking. There's things in there that no one should be seen touching. I was already irritating.
Speaker 1: I get you, not to make it a euphemism, but you've just met this guy and already let him into your secret room. I mean, calm on, like really, but.
Speaker 2: Does she it's funny, but like it's not wrong. You need to chill out, girl, go back up, take a moment, breathe release the hand.
Speaker 1: Thank you. Learn the guy's last name before letting him into the secret chamber.
Speaker 2: That's just saying it's a good, good rule of thumb.
Speaker 1: Good rule of thumb. Thank you. Now we are inside Aggie's room, which looks like the den of a psychic potions ingredients drapes everywhere, old books, candelabras. Cal is very interested in everything he sees, and Marnie plays it off like it's just her grandmother's hobbies or halloween decorations, but he pushes more about her connection to all this, because Marnie knows a lot about witches too, does she know any magic spells? She says she knows common spells, and it's totally shoring her hand here. He knows about warlocks too, and notices a book of spells nearby. Marty becomes very defensive about it, of course, because you shouldn't be in the room anyway. He changes the subject to ice cream, but as she leaves the room first for some reason, he reaches back, uses magic to shrink the book and puts it in his pocket. Man, oh, man, me, the only thing going through my head is if you have the kind of spell where you can make things smaller? Can you? Can?
Speaker 2: You?
Speaker 1: Now? Back at the party, Cal's dad, Alex and Gwen scoop the ice cream for party goers. I'm glad you got that, and Cal is going home, and even though he's not enrolled yet, he's already heard there's a big Halloween costume party at school, which again seems like a weird thing to know about your first dan Town. He wants to go with Marnie. She accepts the invite, and he says he'll pick her up in an hour. He hands her a rose, and man, these two are moving fast, and Augie and Sophie are still looking for this terrible spirit that enters the house, but just miss cal who's now outside aggressively casting a spell at the Halloween Town bus stop. Eventually a portal appears and he walks right through it. Back inside, they're already feeling the shady after effects of their new visitors. When Aggie tries to pull some witch's hats out of her bag of tricks. Nothing's there. Magic isn't magicing, and this is the first time that's happened in centuries. So to figure out what's going on Aggie's side, she'll travel back to Halloween Town and check her house. And even though Gwen has obviously put her foot down about magic, Aggie still takes charge and invites the kids to come with her. And when she asks for permission, Gwen is too caught up with hottie Alex to cause a scene, but she still forces young Sophie to stay at home while Marnie is allowed to leave with Grandma to keep in contact with the family, though she gives Dylan headphones very cute, which are little human skull walkie talkies that can work between Halloween Town and the mortal world. But little does she know that date is with the psychopath Warlock. But once Aggie and Marnie gets to where the bus stop is supposed to be, they realize it's gone. Aggie thinks it's just a mistake, so Marnie tries to sum of the bus with a spell, but it doesn't work, forcing them to open the portal themselves.
Speaker 2: Did you remember this from the first movie?
Speaker 1: I remember that Halloween was the closest.
Speaker 2: I started going, uh, oh, we're going to go to the second movie and just start making up rules now.
Speaker 1: Ruh. I love that you're with the rules now.
Speaker 2: So I am so with the rules that I hate you a little bit for it because because it really starts to irritate me because I don't remember a portal at all. I literally remember the bus being such a huge situation that that is the only way in and out the Mortal world and Halloween Town.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and now it's and I didn't even think long. And Harry Potter. It like in Harry Potter, there's a bunch of ways in, but they explain every single way in you can operate. You can go through them, the Ministry of Magic, you can go through the bus, the night Bus, like they explain the different ways to get in there were this one. They were just like, well, let's open the portal, and you're like, wait, there's a there's a portal.
Speaker 2: Why would you wait for the bus stop then?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: Yet, I agree, no, love, what's going on? But going why would they do that? Why?
Speaker 1: Why?
Speaker 2: Why? Why was it a production thing? Because I don't remember the bus being like some crazy expensive looking production thing. I'm like so confused. Now I'm trying to think of, like what happened at the channel that we can't have this bus.
Speaker 1: But you're right, you're one hundred percent right, because it's like, if all you have to do is open a portal and walk through and you're automatically in Halloween Town, why take the big long bus ride which meant such a big was such a big deal in the first.
Speaker 2: One, it was a huge deal and it was fun. It was part of the fun, honestly, right.
Speaker 1: Because yeah, you're one hundred percent right, it doesn't doesn't make any sense.
Speaker 2: I had to get past. It was going to ruin my vibe with this movie. I was really excited to watch it.
Speaker 1: I was too We are back at the party now, Alex is still awkwardly rising up Gwen, but she's eaten up, and he also asks her to this Halloween nance even though he's old and just moved into town tonight. He says they probably need more chaperones anyway, okay, and she agrees, And maybe these women have never seen an episode of Dateline before. Ye think this never ends? Well? Hello, where it doesn't end? Well? What's going on? But anyway? Then on his way out, Alex bumps into Dylan, and instead of saying goodbye, he croaks like a frog. And once the new neighbor's gone, Dylan looks down to see just one lone frog, one lonely beast. D heb all by himself without nobody, right there in the middle of the house. I'm sorry you do a BC Boys reference right there. Meanwhile, Aggie and Marney are entering Halloween Town, but once inside, things are not what they were expecting. It's lost all its color. The large city center jack O lantern is gone, and the whole realm is basically just ash and rubble. Halloween Town has been destroyed, and the villagers are walking around like zombies, and not good zombies, but bad zombies, you know, the bad ones. Everyone's just become like normal, boring human beings talking about sensible shoes. Marni even sees Luke, who's now just a total basic human in a parka, which reminds her of the part in Halloween Town, one where Kalibar puts the spell on him. Also, everyone keeps saying whatever. Aggie recognizes that this is a spell on Halloween Town, turning the creatures not only gray but into caricatures of humans. She doesn't know who's doing this, but they know they have to reverse it. Aggie us is the headphone to call Dylan to read her spell book, but he quickly realizes it's gone. Grandma thinks someone must have been in a room. Then it hits Marnie, this is her fault, but it couldn't have been Cal, the boy she just met ten minutes prior. But Sophie says this Col could also be the evil force she felt, And so Aggie is coming back to the mortal world to have a word with this dip. And yet Marnie still sticks up for Col. She says he wouldn't steal anything. He's really sweet. Again, she's known him for ten minutes. I'm just like no yep, and he just appeared in the middle of the night, ready for a high school dance, and she's like, it can't be him. He's cute.
Speaker 2: He's cute. He gave me a rose, right, which.
Speaker 1: Should have been your first in Well, we'll get into that. Yeah, And now it's time to return to the mortal world. But the portal just won't open. They didn't try the bus again, even being in a halloween town, they didn't try the bus again. They tried the portal. This evildoer also set this trap, and that's when they hear a voice. It's Cal. In what is an unintentionally hilarious moment, his face appears on a nearby stone wall where the Jack of Lantern used to be. Cal admits he's a warlock and cast the spell from Aggie's book. Martie quickly puts two and two together because Cal gave her a rose at the party. Cal is Calibar's secret son, hell bent on crushing the Cromwells in the name of revenge. And I still thought it was I just.
Speaker 2: Did not think that it was obviously his son. I thought maybe this was like his dad or I don't know why. For some reason, it being him his son just didn't sit well with me.
Speaker 1: I wasn't gonna make it his son either. I would I would have made it him like he's like almost like a Harry Potter thing where he kept put his soul alive and now he comes back as a kid. Yeah, but this son was didn't.
Speaker 2: We have to go back quickly? Just to his face on the wall that he totally I was cracking up at it too, Yeah, to he had to he kept. Wasn't there something with Calibar's face that would be on different places in the first movie though I couldn't remember. But for some reason, it makes because his face. I don't know if it was towards the end or I just I remember the black swivel thing all the time. Yeah, but I felt like that was sort of a reference of what he would do when he wasn't wanting to be caught. He was just wanting to talk to whoever was there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think that's I think that's absolutely possible. There's also ha, that's another Harry Potter.
Speaker 2: Oh giant.
Speaker 1: It was this big, big brick face coming out of nowhere, like wait what Yeah. By the way, on his way out, cal offers Marnie a chance to join him for the big finale at midnight, but she obviously doesn't take the bait from signor bag now alone, Marnie apologizes to her grandmother, but Aggie seems optimistic that she has some tricks still try, saying that's that she has some tricks still up her, that she still has some tricks.
Speaker 2: She has some tricks still a personally.
Speaker 1: There you go, I'm gonna keep it there. She whistles for the cab and now Benny the skeleton just looks like a normal black and white taxi driver, but he's able to bring them back to Marnie's house now alongside Luke, who's there again, and once inside, she sees that all of her belongings have been turned black and white. Marty can't believe this, but Aggie drops a bombshell. There are two copies of her spell book, the second copy of somewhere in her house. So we get a weird, sped up montage of the Cromwell's feverishly looking and failing to find it. I just it almost sounded like like I was waiting for the Benny Hill theme to come on, like the Dan and that sped up stuff was kind of strange. Just when they're about ready to give up. Luke suddenly changes. He's no longer just black and white. He's become a goblin again, very orange and looks kind of like prop comedian carat Top. Something has broken the spell, but it's just temporary, they think. And also Aggie is optimistic about finding this backup spellbook. Since it's lost, she knows exactly where to go. They jump back into Benny's cab and it's off to Gortz, the evilest, smelliest, foulest collector of Halloween Town. Back at Gwen's house, Sophie and Dylan have brought the spellbook dilemma to their magic phobic mother. She is not impressed, worried, especially when they mentioned Cal and his hot dad, Alex appears just as he's mentioned, wearing a cute frog costume. He's also brought a spooky green alien mask for Gwen. Dylan volunteers to skip the dance, which I thought was very sweet and baby, said Sophie. Well, his mom goes on a date with a total stranger, especially because he got straight up rejected by every girl in school. Now, yes that's all true for Dylan, Oh, Dylan, Dylan's gonna have some tough times in high school. It gets better, Dylan, trust me. But at the same time, I thought for the character, the way he played it, like he looked at his mom. He knows he has she hasn't been on a date in two years. He mentions it. He looks at the guy and he's like, I'll stay home and babysit. And I thought it was just a really sweet moment of this kid kind of like, no, mom, you need to go have a little bit of fun. And I thought that was really nice.
Speaker 2: I also though, thought that that greed alien mask was actually like some kind gonna be something why, like it was a fly, And so now I'm thinking this frog is going to eat the mom at some time, Like I I was thinking he was supposed to be kind of more of a why or insect of some sort.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you just got that. I didn't say anything. I said. I had a lot of jokes going through my head. That's all. That's all I said. I'm just leaving it.
Speaker 2: How do you do this on a movie like Halloween?
Speaker 1: Down Well, I'm telling you.
Speaker 2: My brain couldn't be farther from that at all. Like I mean, we're talking about okay, anyway, I didn't say anything.
Speaker 1: Wait, now, wait, did you I have a question for you? Yes, did you have any problem with the mom constantly pooh poohing all of the magical stuff that's going on or could be happening when she's a full witch herself.
Speaker 2: Yes, And it was a huge thing in my notes. It's like, again, this mom who knows that it's possible that there is a world filled with warlocks and demons and all this stuff, is constantly being like, you guys are crazy, especially maybe prior to Halloween one, when that was not something that was exposed at all. But now that the kids all know about this and that that well, we also and now that there are other ways to get back and forth, not just a freaking bus, right, it's possible that stuff is going on. Mom, How do you not, like.
Speaker 1: You know, your mother who kind of runs the town, and you've got your daughter both telling you something's going on, and you're like, they're idiots, And it's.
Speaker 2: Like, really, younger one can feel fit, right, like, we know that our kids are having magical powers, So what how are you not investigating at all?
Speaker 1: I agree with you one hundred percent. I thought that was strange to me.
Speaker 2: She drove me crazy this movie, I agree, except for I do really love her and I had the best time talking to her in our interview.
Speaker 1: Oh no, she's the coolest person ever. And then I got to meet her like three weeks later in person at a convention. She was the greatest.
Speaker 2: But yeah, that's so cool.
Speaker 1: I love that the greatest. But but the characters character is I got it in the first movie because it made sense. It's like, I want to keep my daughter as far away from this as possible. I'm basically gonna pretend nothing's going on. I totally understand that. But now that you've seen what's going on, maybe some green I thought what they were going to do is, at some point you were going to realize that Cal and the Golum Dad that there is some kind of spell essentially cast on both of them.
Speaker 2: We didn't hit it, so I'm saving it for my Sabrita season. I'm going to tell you what I thought it was that did it?
Speaker 1: The Rose Nope, Okay, well we'll get there. Okay, we'll get there because yeah, Okay. Meanwhile, Martie, Aggie and Luke make it to Gort, who's one of my favorite words ever, just Gort and all of the junk in the front of his house has disappeared, and when he opens the door, he's cleaned up and is totally gray. He lets them into his now spotless, sterile home, but most of his books are gone. He sold them in a recent yard sale and has no idea who he sold them to. Then Luke notices the spell is coming in. Aggie's hands have also started to turn gray. She thinks Marnie is next. They rush to leave Gorts. Just love that Gort, But the door. I'm gonna keep saying it. But the doors are now locked, there's no way out, and the gray spell has disabled Aggie's powers. Then cal Cal's face appears again in the fireplace amongst the flames. He gloats about capturing them and somehow knew about the backup copy, even though it was lost before he was born. Cal wants to know if Marnie has made up her mind about joining him at the dance, which he reveals will also be attended by her mom, who's all horned up for his dad. When she says she's not going, Cal becomes visibly angry, and Aggie figures out a plan. He's going to use a band spell to seek revenge on mortals who have mocked the citizens of Halloween Town every year by dressing up on Halloween. This will turn them into the very creatures they are mocking. He turned the creatures into humans and now will turn all the humans into creatures. Back home, Sophie is reading about golums and has deduced that the frog Dylan saw at the party and the fact that Cal's dad showed up in a frog costume is some sort of a sign. Sophie wants to go to the party, and though Dylan doubts her theory, he agrees to go and reluctantly needs a costume. So Dylan listens to his little sister and goes, all right, you're right, we should go. The mom don't listen, but Dylan listens, and it's like I support you, love Yes, yeah, thank you. That's how should be family. People.
Speaker 2: Family.
Speaker 1: We are now back at Gorts. They're still trapped while Callan Aggie's powers are draining quickly. Marnie knows there must be a way to fix this, Like how hackers work with computers. She wants to get creative and wheezel out of the spell without actually breaking it, and this I found to be a bit of a convoluted plot point. Did this make sense you, Sabrina, She's looking like I kind of liked it where it's like you're looking for the back door of a spell, but it got a little wonky, like how would you figure that out?
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, she says it multiple times that the spells are broken if you.
Speaker 1: Say them backwards. So she does mention that, but she can't remember the spell specific spell that he that was used to reverse it, right.
Speaker 2: So you know, the thing that I kind of got more so like I don't know if it was just reaching a little bit too much for me, is just there, like cows more because he says it when he sees him in the like when he sees him her again. Is the the talk back to how she had that app or the computer thing, like they keep referencing it with just like these one liners, but don't really explain why.
Speaker 1: What it does or why it's there.
Speaker 2: Why we keep bringing it up and what what you know? So that was more of a thing that I was that I felt was like convoluted as far as the plot was.
Speaker 1: This, Yeah, it was a little this got a little hanky to me. But Aggie's powers continue to dwindle. She's unable to help them with a time travel spell, so the kids do it themselves and quickly end up back in time, watching themselves in Gort's house from only five minutes earlier. Whoops. Marnie tries again, and this time she way overshoots it to the caveman days, then tries again in his back at Gourts, but Grandma and Luke are nowhere to be found. But you know who is there Cow. He's impressed with their work, but is ready to do away with Halloween Town and the Code of Merlin, and he tells Marnie that her mom is next, and with that he disappears what In response, Marnie recites another spell and is sent back in time now to when Gort's house was still filled with other people's lost items. There's junk everywhere, and Luke apparently has made the trip too. They're immediately spotted by Gort, who wants to know what they're doing in his house. Marnie tries to butter him up by showering him with disgusting compliments. He's touched, but doesn't budge in his grumpiness, but Marnie does get his attention by revealing that in the future, Kalibar's son will clean his house. This infuriates Gort and gets him to finally listen. Next thing we know, we're haphazardly flying on a broom with Sophie Dylan. She doesn't really know how to fly yet, so it's a real trial and error kind of thing and a little scary. They circle the moon like a drunk et, and then we are back at Gorts. They are intensely searching his junk for the book of Spells and stumble on a massive child size cockroach who's like his dog. And I thought he was really cute. I did. I'm sorry, but I thought he was really cute. The thing's like nodding at him. He's like, we got to do it, and he's like, okay, I want one. Luke is starting to think that maybe they traveled too far into the past too before she even lost the book, But then out of nowhere, Go remembers the book Calibar bought it from him fifty years ago, so basically, Calibar had it the whole time, and he stole Aggie's book just to make sure that Marnie couldn't undo anything. So this guy's got everyone else's playing checkers. This dude's playing chess, and now Sophie and Dylan finally made it to the school dance in one piece and everyone's defense. The party looks rocking, which is good for them. Dylan sees cool mean girl Cindy and shows off his costume, only for her to call him El Geico. But then he does find his mom, who's damning with the mystery man. So they're not chaperoning, they're just crashing a high school dance dance. Yes, I found that really strange, so weird. Make it a town dance right, oh.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like a like a town center dance, a community center.
Speaker 1: Yes, because they literally stressed the fact that it's a school.
Speaker 2: Dance and it didn't need to be going.
Speaker 1: To chaperone.
Speaker 2: The person that ends up getting on the stage at the end and looks like he's like hosting wasn't necessarily like a principle was just an adult. It could and it wasn't like anybody. Yeah, it didn't need to be a high school dance at.
Speaker 1: All, and specifically making it a high school dance and having these two adults going at each other at the high school dance was I found out?
Speaker 2: And I feel like we come across the weirdness of these dances that happen in these d coms, Like kind of often the dances that happen at d comms where there's like strain adults there and nobody thinks it's weird, Like there's always it's almost like a dance at a high school or a school is kind of tricky to maneuver around without some point of it looking or feeling weird that the people that are there are there. Yeah, so maybe they should stop doing it or just do them better, just yeah, or like like like you said, like have it at a community center like there. You know, there's things like that that happen, like make it a.
Speaker 1: Town dance super easy to do. Uh yeah.
Speaker 2: But anyway, maybe we just stopped doing the proms.
Speaker 1: Yes, unless it was that prom that prom movie was great then happened. We love that movie. Anyway. What you do find is she's dancing with this mystery man and you're still dressed as a frog. In case anybody forgot, they get her alone to warner about Alex. They inform her that the Golam is made of frogs and that cal is in fact Calibar, and Gwen seems furious at what they've done and still doesn't believe them. Back at Courts, Marnie and Luke almost given up. They feel defeated, but Luke encourages her to think back to when the spell went away for a little bit. How did that happen? They realize she said something like this right before the spell lesson quote, something to get us out of this trap a spell or a charm unquote. Luke writes it down and realizes that trap a is apart backwards and again I thought this was pushing a little bit. He wants her to say apart, and when she does, Gort does go gray, so he goes gray when she says the word apart. They figure out how to reverse the gray spell, because then when she says trappa, Gort returns to being dirty and messy. Now they need to get back and warn their mom before anything bad happens. Yet they can't find the time travel spell. It's officially lost in Gore's house, which is bad because he finds other lost things, but if stuff is lost in his house, it goes poof forever. Marty thinks hard, trying to remember the spell, but she can't remember what it is. Back at the dance, Alex returns from getting a drink in cookies, and Sophie has an idea. She tells him a seven xth grader is dressed like a big black fly with feelers and fuzzy legs, and then uses magic to make one appear. This infuriates Gwen, but Alex is entranced and can't hold it in. He exposes his big frog tongue and eats the fly, showing everybody that he's not in fact human. Gwen quickly uses a spell of her own to make the gollum turn back into a pile of frogs. Now, with that taken care of, they have to find Marnie. Oh wow, hey, you're starting to listen to your kids. Dylan pulls out the headphone, but it doesn't work. She's out of the dimension and won't get the message for four hundred years. And back at Gort's, she's trying spells over and over but nothing's working. Gourt suggests they use his timeline, which is a glowing light behind a door that a wizard has lost. It lets you travel through time in the immortal world, meaning it's essentially a black hole. Why didn't he suggest this earlier? Thank you, Gort and to travel through the fastest timeline. Marnie unveils a new sporty broom that Grandma gave her, which is cool. Luke Nursey hops on and off they go right into some cheap dcom math graphics and these were not great. An he's got a fake fly in a decom. It doesn't really look good. And this was kind of holding on to that. It just didn't look good.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: No, But we cut to the party where Gwen, Dylan, and Sophie are looking for Cow to stop whatever plan he has. Gwen puts on her mask to hide her identity and blend into the crowd on the dance floor. Then we see col hiding in the rafters reading the spell book about to recite the creature spell, turning mortals into monsters forever at midnight, and then the countdown begins like it's New Year's Eve. For some reason, the party counts down from sixty sixty.
Speaker 2: That is the longest countdown of life, even at a New Year's Eve party. When someone says like okay, you know, five minutes out you're going, okay, seriously five minutes and then one minute and then you're sitting there and everyone's just kind of like two to dude. It isn't until like.
Speaker 1: Ten ten, right of maybe.
Speaker 2: Twenty, maybe twenty. You don't do a countdown as a group from sixty. That was ridonculous.
Speaker 1: Also, the countdown to midnight is just for them to get the prizes for who won most disgusting costume, right, So it seems like an awfully big build up to just find out who won the costume contest.
Speaker 2: Right, And we never know what they're they're gonna win either, right, No, just because I think Dylan asks like, oh, do they win something in the beginning and cheat the rude, very rude girl we have not really called out just yet and very good our rudes Cindy girl basically gave him some like stupid answer to that. Yeah, but we never we never really know what they're even getting. Why are they so excited? What's the prize?
Speaker 1: And why are you counting down from sixty? So yeah, Well, anyway, Marnie and Luke are still back in the bad computer graphics. They are only up to the sixteen hundreds. They're gonna miss midnight, but Martie spot's a possible shortcut and goes for it. As the party is still counting down. We're now in the mid forties. Gwen spots Col starting the spell, so in retaliation, Cal strikes her with lightning, forcing her mask to be stuck on her face, diverting her attention elsewhere. Cal continues with the spell as Marnie pushes on, hoping her shortcut works and eventually it lands them back at Courts on the clean timeline. She yells Trappa at her grandmother, releasing her from the spell and bringing back her color. It is working, and just like that, Marnie and Aggie connect her return to the mortal world and fix this one before midnight. But with just fourteen seconds left, yes they're still at fourteen, the portal actually starts to close, blocking her entrance. Three to one and the door closes shut. It is too late in the party. It's time for the great unmasking, but Cal reveals himself on stage and finishes the spell. The partygoers start transforming into full on monsters. Is more than just staying in costume. They're horrifying. Pretty great work here, I think on whoever made these again, there's some really good ones there, and again scary, but not so scary that a younger kid isn't going to sleep. It's more creepy than scary, if that makes sense. It's becoming a real horror show and this probably actually scared some kids. Cindy turns into a real vampire, looks to drink Dylan's blood. Cal is thrilled with his work at Gortz. Marnie can't believe she blew it. Aggie suggests waiting until next year, and once the portal reopens they'll be ready to fight Cal, but Marnie knows how long a year will feel. She is not giving up. She grabs the headphone from her grandmother and calls Sophie, who is battling her way through the monsters. Marnie says magic can open the portal if the three Cromwell kids band together and make their own spell, this could work. Even Luke and Aggie get involved in Just like that, they improv the same spell where I hate when people improv the same stuff at the same time, like how did you all know the words? I'm not a big It should have started with one of them, who says, here's the spell and then they all start chanting it not they all start going I just didn't like it.
Speaker 2: I just I knew you were gonna have that.
Speaker 1: I don't like it. It's like you with the second somebody starts at.
Speaker 2: The it is I know it just it's cringey.
Speaker 1: It's like he's shaking his keys. They're going to start us off, yes, so hoping that as it's of saying the spell over and over again, they can break the rules, and then they do. Cal is shocked to see the portal reopening. What is this? Is it friendship? What's making him do it? The group continues their diy spell, completely opening the doors and stopping the party in its tracks. Marty walks onto the dance floor and hugs her sister. But it's time to face the villain. Cal yells at them they can never beat him, but Marnie says, now that everyone is together, his powers are useless. She asks for the spell books back, but he swears she's the enemy. Marnie argues his dad's hate should not guide him. He answers by protecting the spellbooks with forces of evil. If she's supposed to have the books and she have to take them back on her own. He says his forces of evil will outdo her forces of good. Though daunting, Marnie announces she's not afraid of him and starts to glow and slowly reaches out. She tries, but it's quickly pushed back with electricity, but she focuses and slowly moves towards the book again and grabs them. She has successfully taken the books, and a very angry cow shoots into the ceiling and disappears. They know he'll be back, but they'll be waiting for him together. Aggie opens the book and reads the spell backwards, returning all the mortals to their regular form, and they all think it was just a dream. The party returns to its rock and status just as Marnie reunites with her mom. She sees it as a perfect opportunity to get her mom and grandma on the same page, and they do seem to be understanding each other a little bit better. Marnie and Aggie have to rush back to Halloween Town to release the gray spell, but Gwen decides she's going to stay in her world, but will allow the kids to visit whenever they want, and so they return to Dull Halloween Town and start the spell. Everything returns with color, even the cab drivers as Celton once again, the concrete walls become the jack O lantern, and once again, Halloween Town is finally back. The town celebrates, and that is our movie. Short and sweet, short and sweet, eighty minutes in bouta bing, bouta boom. Thank you everybody for doing that. Take a note, Peter Delaize, eighty minutes long. Why don't we do our real reviews? I think I've got the one star this week.
Speaker 2: Yes, and it is a review longer ones.
Speaker 1: It's longer and it is a doozy. This is from matthew S, who writes, I do this for all the people who sadly lost their lives from watching the first film. Thankfully, I've never been subjected to the torment, but the horror stories of people shaking toes, terminal herpes, and other debilitating illnesses have left scars in my mind. Only Vietnam veterans would understand. Don't ever watch this film. I imagine it's very similar to Ring, where you play the film, one of the characters crawls out of the TV and curses you, and you die horrifically in a shoe cupboard. Lest ye be warned. One star. Okay, wow, the review was longer than the movie. You got the five star this week, Sabrina, what do you got?
Speaker 2: And this five star is I don't even know what to say about kind of perfect. Our five star comes from Jessica M. I would compare this movie to Oatmeal. She must really love oatmeal. If it's a five star, get that girl a contract and you know.
Speaker 1: People, Uh, this is the time in our cast of Pod where we find Sabrina's favorite ever everthing to do, and that's to play games created by producer Jensen. Our feature this week, So Halloween Town has become synonymous with the holiday, and while it sadly doesn't exist in real life, we all wish it did, but plenty of real world cities go all in on spooky season. So in this game, we're gonna hear descriptions of how different places celebrate Halloween, and our job is to match each tradition to the right city. It's multiple choice, Get three out of five right and we win. I don't think producer Jensen's with us. Today's producer Jensen was not. Yeah, so who do we have with us today. You got Mikayla. It's producer Mikayla with us today. Okay, good, pretty good lucks. By the way, for the record, we do way better at these when Producer Jensen is not.
Speaker 2: I swear he like sees how terrible I do. And then we'll go into the next one like right away, like I can't wait to stupor.
Speaker 1: Again, I think so too this one. I think I feel good about this one though. I think we're gonna do well. So okay. Number one the ultimate Halloween town, famous for its quote Halloween Happenings festival made up of parades, ghost tours, and costume contests. Just don't come dressed as a witch. It might not end well. Is it a Salem, New Jersey, B Salem, Massachusetts, CE Salem, Oregon, or D Salem, California.
Speaker 2: Are there these this many Salems in the world.
Speaker 1: I'm sure there's also Salem the Cat. There's plenty of Salems. Okay, where are you going with Sabrina.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna go be Salem, Massachusetts.
Speaker 1: I am going b Salem, Massachusetts too, because that is the correct answer.
Speaker 2: That was too easy.
Speaker 1: That's correct, way too easy. Number two Okay, in this East Coast city. They go big with lantern tours, haunted hay rides, and cemetery of v don't lose your head over it. Is it A Danvers, Massachusetts, B Taratown, New York, C Sleepy Hollow, New York or D Noggin, North Carolina, Sabrina, What do you got?
Speaker 2: I'm gonna go see Sleepy Hollow, New York.
Speaker 1: Of course it's C Sleepy Hollow, New York.
Speaker 2: Yep, you're correct.
Speaker 1: These are so easy. Number three dub the Halloween Capital of the world. This city has been hosting large scale Halloween celebrations since the nineteen twenties, when it decided to encourage kids to stop pulling pranks like tipping out houses and letting cows loose downtown and focus on a community party instead. Is it A Charleston, North Carolina, B Alexandria, Virginia, see Anoka, Minnesota, or D Cowtown, Montana. What do you got, Sabrina?
Speaker 2: Uh?
Speaker 1: The first stump this.
Speaker 2: That I have no idea. Okay, I'm going back and forth between A and D. I guess ah, sure, pick, I'll go to Cowtown, Ontana.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna say it's a Charleston North Carolina.
Speaker 2: Wow, you got it wrong.
Speaker 1: It's see Anoka, Minnesota. Really Wow, I didn't a Minnesota? Got it okay? Number four? We got one wrong. Number four. Combining the spooky with the supernatural in the spectacle. This city is known for a labric costumes, parades, and a haunted voodoo tour through its infamous streets. Maybe we're an easy to remove top. Is it a Palm Springs California, B New Orleans, Louisiana, see West Hollywood, California, or D New Hollywood, Arizona.
Speaker 2: What do you the Palm Springs in the West Hollywood. It's so funny.
Speaker 1: With New Orleans, it's gotta be B New Orleans.
Speaker 2: It is so spooky all year. I swear, yes, we got it correct.
Speaker 1: See so we want already here we go and now number five. It is the filming location for the movie Halloween Town. As a result, the city transforms into the spirit of Halloween, showcasing props from the movie, pumpkins and fan events. Is it a Saint Helens, Oregon, B A Story Oregon see Gresham, Oregon, or d the Nike headquarters in Oregon. I think we talked about this.
Speaker 2: We did it. I'll be disappointed. Come on, you're gonna be, You're gonna be. I think I'm gonna do be astoria.
Speaker 1: I think it's a Saint Helens.
Speaker 2: I'm going back and forth between the two of them. But a story sounds like kind of cooler.
Speaker 1: I think it's Saint Helen's.
Speaker 2: Is it? Will is correct?
Speaker 1: By the way, are you looking at the same thing?
Speaker 2: I am what?
Speaker 1: Are you looking at the same the same sheet that Jensen sent? Yes, look at what it says right underneath that, oh, in giant black letters, it says related. Can we record a podcast from Saint Helen's next Halloween. It's like he literally gave you the answer.
Speaker 2: I don't look forward. I'm sorry, that's cheating.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm reading the next line.
Speaker 2: Is Oh my gosh, that's funny.
Speaker 1: And by the way, it's a great idea. We should record it podcast.
Speaker 2: We should. That would be so fun.
Speaker 1: I think we should get a member or two of the cast to go with us, and we should do a Halloween town thing from Halloween.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because you can tour that like where they filmed, right, if you.
Speaker 1: Could make that happen, that would be awesome.
Speaker 2: That would be rad.
Speaker 1: And now, can we please do a Sabrina sees.
Speaker 2: Okay, we've got quite a few of them. The first is Dylan. So this is why I thought there had been a way bigger gap between the first and the second one. Our character, Dylan, the actor is so much older. No he's not, he doesn't, but I mean his height, his whole like, I mean, he went from a cute little boy to this like preteen slash teen, and I mean it was such a draft where Kimberly doesn't. She definitely looks more mature her face, but it's not. I mean, his was a drastic, drastic change.
Speaker 1: It was like, whoa.
Speaker 2: A funny little thing while she was while the mom was chopping onions, I had to like really, I got my phone out actually and like pushed in because I couldn't zoom really on my my my TV. The thing she was chopping, which was like pretty long, right, it looked like it could have been like the length of like a cucumber, but it was yellow. It was a lemon, And I don't know how. I'm like, what kind of it was? She was chopping it so much when she was pissed off about it, I couldn't believe. I'm like, what kind of lemon. Is that it's the weirdest thing because it wasn't a potato, it was lemons that she was using for It was so weird.
Speaker 1: It was, that's so funny that you mentioned that, because it's such the only thing I was thinking, Yes, she was cutting it up. Is it's such actor business. Oh yep, like you just needed what can I do with my hands? What can I Okay, well we're going to cut off.
Speaker 2: Like maybe it was like the second or third take or whatever, and she was out of the lemons, so just like threw on another one and like made I mean, I'm like, that doesn't look like a lemon anymore. It's weird. It was an eleven? What was it that which also then made me think of that conversation and the conversation with when Call and his dad come in. They're well, no, first, that conversation with just her and Marnie R. They're talking a lot. They do this twice that are that's I felt very strange. They talk a lot about magic stuff and how it should be a secret. As everyone is going in and out of that kitchen, they're not even able to hear. They're not whispering like easily able to hear everything they're saying, and I'm going, what is happening? There was just so much commotion in that teeny kitchen of theirs that I thought was weird. I talked about how I was getting very upset with Marnie and her inappropriateness upstairs, with the handholding and just giving away Grandma's secrets. Okay, so I tapped on it a little bit. So I thought this green ice cream, this huge tubs of green ice cream that they brought, was gonna be some kind because it was obvious cal was bad, not what we would do, right, knew it was bad news. So I thought this tub of green ice cream was something. And that's why I thought when she later was going on with this this you know, no, it's nothing. You guys are crazy. Even though we come from a world of witches and warlocks, you guys are nuts children. I thought it had to do with like we were gonna find out that that ice cream again was the reason. So I thought that was like something like she had she was the only one that had ice cream, and that she was the one that was now under these like spell of not thinking, not paying attention to stuff. That's what I thought it was. Then it goes on to later on the bedtime for this poor little sister. She's like, it's your bedtime, and it's like, there's like a million other kids in this house that are my age, mom, why do I have to go to bed?
Speaker 1: That was us growing up, by the way, we were in bed when it was still light out, and we would hear the kids playing in the in the like the street.
Speaker 2: Okay, but that's different than you hosting a party and the kids are in your house playing, messing up your toys, taking all your stuff, eating the food, eating the cause, the desserts and candy, and you have to go to bed. That was that was harsh. Okay, So then we go on. We touched on everything else except for going to you. I thought you were gonna definitely say something about this at We're now at the dance, the high school dance, and Sophie starts talking to Alex and trying to expose that she they think he's a frog right right, exposes him, He eats the fly. He ends up turning into a bunch of frogs. Yep, And now one person on the dance floor looks left right down nothing. I'm like, the weirdest thing, even in the house when it was just a one frog, that was so strange and no one notices it. Maybe it's because I'm like just not into.
Speaker 1: I get not noticing one frog, but not noticing a pile of.
Speaker 2: The pile of them was so weird and it was just kind of That's when I started really it like hit me. And then there was just a bunch of little small things that You're going, why doesn't anyone notice this? Why isn't anyone noticing that? I hated that she put the mask on this guy who just turned into a bunch of frogs, who's obviously we're talking. No, no, Era, You're gonna put the mask that he gave you on. He gave you this mask. You're gonna go and put Mom. Mom, We've got to talk about things that need to start happening, need be a little bit more with.
Speaker 1: That's not a very present dcom wich Mom.
Speaker 2: Yes, okay. So then then the last thing she did that really frustrated me was like, okay, you guys go to the refreshment's table and I'm gonna start walking around. Why do people like to break up in times in times of like we need to be huntas we need to be together. No, you may not go to the bathroom by yourself. Stay with the group. Mom was killing me.
Speaker 1: This such a horror, you know, let's split up in the woods, Like, why, no, the six of us, let's stay together.
Speaker 2: No, we are staying together. And then the last little thing was well, the last little noticeable thing that it just had me give me little giggle. One of the like costumes was like a Kevin feederline looking costumes. I saw that just so of the era of where when this movie was filmed. It was so funny. But I'm like, are you literally supposed to be Kevin Federal just like the Fedora?
Speaker 3: Ye?
Speaker 2: Whatever. And then I had a question for you, Okay, did you understand what Cal's reasons of making the creatures more human like and boring? Why was he doing that? Because I think they revolted against the dad.
Speaker 1: They just wanted to.
Speaker 2: Be I never seemed to be explained that I caught on.
Speaker 1: I get turning humans into creatures.
Speaker 2: That part I thought was awesome, but all Halloween.
Speaker 1: Destroying Halloween Town didn't make a whole lot of sense to me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I didn't get it.
Speaker 1: I didn't either.
Speaker 2: It didn't seem and then the last one was as we were in it, it popped in my head. My other favorite movie that I watch is not necessarily really at all Halloween movie, but I watched The Craft somewhere during.
Speaker 1: Good movie time. I like the year.
Speaker 2: It's literally one of my favorite It is my favorite witch movie.
Speaker 1: Goodnighte.
Speaker 2: I love that movie.
Speaker 1: Good movie, so good.
Speaker 2: So that popped in my head, so I wrote it down real quick.
Speaker 1: Well, there you go, thank you so much. And now, of course it's our time where we have to rate our film, and I want to do something different this week because it's Halloween. I would like to make one the least and ten the most.
Speaker 2: Care all right, so spookier for sure.
Speaker 1: Yes, So here we go. Here do we want to do? One out of ten ghoul chats one out of ten, the bombs, one out of ten, hands to hold immediately, tiny books, massive child sized cockroaches, one out of ten, sensible shoes, one out of ten, backup spell books, one out at ten, gorts, el geekos, or I'm gonna add one out of ten ibang out of you. What would you like to pick? Sabrina? Which one would you like to do?
Speaker 2: Is it my turn to choose.
Speaker 1: I think it's your turn to choose.
Speaker 2: I think I'm gonna go with Gorts just because you're saying it's so much.
Speaker 1: And I think I'm going first this time. Yes, I liked this movie. Again. These movies are exactly what they're supposed to be. They're Disney Channel movies. They're fun. Kimberly's great. I thought that Daniel was great, they worked well together, that all the acting was good. Some of the characters infuriate you. Some of the stuff as stupid, but it's Disney Channel, so of course it's supposed to be. And God, coming off of the last movie, everything looks magical to me. So I'm gonna give this a solid seven point five gorts. Wow, it could have been an eight, but I had a couple of little story problems. But I'm gonna give this a solid seven point five quarts. I like the Halloween Town movies. I really do. I think I'm one of the few, though I think I might have liked the first one better.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I do you know what? Okay, here I'm going I did like the first one better, Yeah I don't. I honestly count one hundred percent. Put my finger exactly on what I like, Yes, I can. I think I like it because they were able to do some of the things because they were in a made up Halloween town versus like, you know, like the fact that like people are are not phased by certain things that are going on. That makes sense in Halloween Town because everything is magical and mystical and you know, things are birds are turning into this or whatever. You know, Like that makes sense. So I honestly think it served a plotline a lot easier. Even though we did spend a good amount of time in it, it wasn't what the community like. I don't know, the whole preface of going anywhere wasn't necessarily that I guess. I don't know. Anyway, I felt the same. I really did like the first one a lot better, but I did love this one, And I think this is a movie, Like I said, I'm really because I do love Halloween. I am excited for my kids to start being able to watch things when the time comes, and I love that these two movies that we've seen, I think says a little bit of that scary point. But it's really not enough to like have them stay up late at night because or wake them up in the middle of the night. So I'm excited and love these two movies a lot for that reason for my kids. So I'm excited about that. But I did love the first one a lot more. But I'm still thinking this one was great. And again, there were a couple things that were funny and didn't make a lot of sense. I didn't feel like I really understood one hundred percent why everything was the way it was. The rules were a little murky. So that's gonna knock a point a couple points down for me, and I'm actually gonna match your seven point five gorts. Okay, this movie I loved. I mean, I think that's a good one because I definitely think it leaves room for the first one to have a higher score.
Speaker 1: I agree one hundred percent. So thank you everybody so much for joining us. Our next movie is again It's a little spooky. It's two thousand's mystery thriller, a movie whose title we've been teasing for a while, Phantom of the Megaplex. We're excited for this one. It is on Dizzy Plus, So go ahead and watch it if you want to watch it before we talk, because you really should because it's super helpful if you do that. But at the same time, we're not leaving Halloween Town just yet, because, like I mentioned, we are talking to Daniel Koots aka Cow with either a K or a C. We'll find out he had tons of memories from the set and what it was like to be part of the Halloween Town franchise. Then fine, love in its legacy, here's a little piece of it. You know, everybody has these amazing stories about what it was like to work with Debbie Reynolds. Oh and just the legend that is Debbie Reynolds. What was it like just being on set with her?
Speaker 3: It was phenomenal because, as you know, she was a huge movie star, like from the Golden Age of cinema, and she didn't act like it at all. She just like cracked jokes and walked around and sang and was just such a lovely human being. And she was so kind to me, which I took to heart because I came in in the second movie where they had all worked together before.
Speaker 1: They were like family and everything.
Speaker 3: Everybody knew each other, and then I show up and they were just all so welcoming, especially Debbie.
Speaker 1: We had a lot of fun talking with Daniel and you can have fun too, so listen to the entire interview on the dedicated Magical Rewind Pod feed. All you have to do is search for us wherever you get your podcasts and then subscribe. Every new episode will end up on your feed, and for more info, you can follow us at Magical rewind Pod on the Instagram Machine by everybody, Bye m