Speaker 1: Welcome into jag Zam. I'm kind DOWNI Stephens, Brian Sexton, and John Osier are with me on Victory Monday. It's been a while since we've gotten to say that for the Jaguars, as they've had that losing skid, but they finally got a win, and they got a win over the Titans this week. So let's start out with our big things. Big thing Number one is finally at the beginning of that game was not pretty. It wasn't good football to watch, but the win is a win.
Speaker 2: I mean, I know it's really hard to win in the NFL, and I've learned that the hard way, and I've always, you know, followed that mantra of just the win's a win, and you can play really well and lose and play not so good and win, and it just takes that from one or two plays each game. So I told the young guys that that's the learning lesson here. And I feel like we played with a little bit more slag today and I know we're gonna continue to do that offense, even special teams.
Speaker 3: We're not gonna be scared.
Speaker 2: So we're just gonna keep that going.
Speaker 1: Frans doesn't essentially change the outlook of the season. But it is nice to win, and it's nice to recap after a win.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's nice to have a little juice in the building, right.
Speaker 3: I mean it's not the same energy as if you're playing meaningful games that all have significance in the standings, But everybody comes in with a little bit less anxiety, with a little bit more energy. For John and I for you in the locker room to talk to a guy who's got the little brighter eyes and isn't so quick to want to walk away because he didn't want to talk about what happened last week. All of this gives them, I think enough energy and momentum. You have the Jets, the Raiders, the Titans, and the Colts. Now, the Colts are a team that is playing into the final few weeks with a shot. They're on the fringe of being a playoff team. But you should be able to if you're properly motivated and energized, go play your best football on Sunday against the Jets and see if you can build a little something.
Speaker 4: John.
Speaker 3: That's what a win means when you get one, especially at the end like they did yesterday, where they had to win it in.
Speaker 4: The fourth quarter.
Speaker 5: Yeah, a couple of thoughts.
Speaker 6: First off, we know Mac Jones has guts because he can pull off that outfit and it was absolutely Hey, all hail Mac.
Speaker 5: What you realize or what I realized in the locker room.
Speaker 6: It's easy to forget when you're analyzing what's going wrong, and when you're in the middle of a disappointing season and you and I, Brian Kai, we start thinking. We started thinking about the long term and what it means. It's easy to forget that these guys are players and they want to win. And the joy for Tank Bigsby, for Josh Allen Doug talked about it.
Speaker 5: That's real stuff. I get that'll.
Speaker 6: Win after you're eliminated in a way, it doesn't feel like a win, but for a day, you know, let him enjoy good for that.
Speaker 1: Our big thing. Number two is worse.
Speaker 6: Now.
Speaker 1: I mentioned that was not a great football game to watch. There was not a lot of good fundamentals out there. But Daguar's not good. Titans are and it's always good to beat the Titans.
Speaker 7: This is a robbery game, you know, this is a rib game, you know what I mean? So like, hopefully I don't. I don't know if they told him that before the game, but I know our message before the game was this is a robbery game, so where way you need to feel to get that energy, to get that aggression up, that the type of game was gonna be. And you could tell there was that type of energy.
Speaker 1: John only got a cameo from me in the back there. I know you heard it live. It's a little different when you play the Titans, even in a season like this.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and for it's for clarification, I was a little mad because Josh was wearing my I got it back after the game. I had on the team fights. All's good. Yeah, And again with Josh it was I think the theme in the locker room was just that that he had. I think the best quote, and I'm paraphrasing, it's good to feel this way, because I didn't want to feel sad anymore, and I.
Speaker 5: Thought that really some.
Speaker 6: To be honest with you, I don't think anything that happened yesterday will be remembered in the long run. I'm not sure that they built toward that much, and I'm not sure that a lot of the guys playing will be you know, I don't know what the future is, but they got that win. And I do think for some of these young guys, getting a couple down the stretch matters because he got to feel it. And I know fans have heard that before, but I think it's still true.
Speaker 3: I would agree completely that those guys Brian Thomas Junior, Tank, big speed, Brenton Strange, we can keep going. The roster has a lot of young players that need to feel the success. I say the Jaguars were supposed to be better than the Titans this year. We expected that they would be better than the Titans this year. Will Levis in his first full season as the starting quarterback.
Speaker 4: There.
Speaker 3: You know, they changed from Derrick Henry. They did have a very good defensive front. But the Jaguars, other than the early going where they couldn't stop the run, the Jaguars were able to, sort of outside of their own mistakes, got to dictate the pace of action. They didn't let the Titans get away from them, and when they had to turn it on, absolutely had no other choice. They went down the field twice in the fourth quarter to win the ball game. I can tell you this, the people in Tennessee this morning are wondering what's up, where they're at, where they're headed. You know, the Jaguars know they're going to get Trevor Lawrence back next year and at least have their quarterback in place. I think Tennessee's got some more work to.
Speaker 1: Do there, Brian, you touched on some of this. We'll do our final big thing, which is good enough. They didn't play great, obviously, but they were good enough to get a win. And we did see certain players shining and certain players playing well, whether it was Brian Thomas Junior or Tank Bigsby Brian, there were several different players that we saw kind of come into their own when they need to.
Speaker 3: Brian Thomas Junior is a guy that you can't throw the ball to enough, and I know that's been a storyline for weeks. And Doug Peterson said in his postgame with Bucky Brooks and the radio yesterday that they made the decision at halftime that they were really going to force it. The question why didn't you do that in the first half? Of course, Doug joked about that, and there are circumstances and situations that prevent that from happening. But the more success that Brian Thomas Junior has the more success tank. Biggsby is going to have that Brenton Strange is going to have. When you have that one guy John who opens everything up, then Mack has many, many more options. It'll help the offensive line play better when the ball is getting out quickly, going down the field, stretching things, and of course when the offense is able to sustain a drive. The defense you noticed yesterday almost split time of possession for the first time in a long time. Everything is better when those young players are having success.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think they tried to get the ball to BTJ early.
Speaker 6: I think that was one of the ones that Matt got picked on, and then they didn't have a ball frankly a whole lot in second quarter. So it's the old thing where it's hard to get the ball when you're not in the flow and their team has the ball all the time. I thought along these same lines, Jaron Jones, if you're looking for guys who are starting to show that they can be something to build around, they.
Speaker 5: Don't win that game.
Speaker 6: If he doesn't play the way he did in the second half, two pass breakups, the sack, He looked like an edge rusher, there's something about him. Ventre Miller, guys like that who play with a passion that it's hard to not see them being the building blocks of this thing going forward.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and the young defensive tackles too.
Speaker 3: Of me, Mason Smith has played a lot the last two weeks and he's been reached a couple of times. But I also saw him yesterday moving guys in the pocket, which is something they desperately need. The presence in the middle. There's a lot of young players to be excited about. Yesterday was good for all of them.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, stay with's here on jag zonn We're going to go over the tape on Victory Monday. Register your furry friend for the Dagwars Official Four Legged Fan Club for Pats presented by Forever at the Animal Hospital. All your pet will receive access to exclusive merchandise, events and sweet steaks throughout the twenty twenty four season because at Jaguars dot Com Slash Promotion Slash four Legged Band Club to sign up today, Welcome back in It's Victory Monday. We get to look at some tape from yesterday and they got to win, so that's always good. I will say the first half of that football game was not something that was enjoyable to watch, probably for anybody.
Speaker 5: At that point.
Speaker 1: That was just bad football. But we're gonna start there so that we know what was good in the second half. So Mac Jones had two interceptions in that first half, I mean the Titans and score tons, So it wasn't a huge thing, but obviously never want to see interceptions there. He's trying to force the ball at that point, and I was a little concerned that we were.
Speaker 5: Going to happy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean they're trying to force the ball deep there and Mac is standing in the pocket. I thought he should have gotten rid of it about a second before he did. He took a shot just as he was releasing it, and I'd have to go back and ask him about it, but it seemed to me like if you got rid of it just a little more decisively right there, he hits Brian a thirty yard line and Brian has a chance to get to the outside.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it wasn't a great throw.
Speaker 6: It looked like Brian might have stopped short a little bit. I have no idea that might yeah, And I think it was also third down, so there was a little bit of a throw it up and make something happen, or you know, you don't lose that much field position. Look, it's it's uh, it's not gonna be a great offense, so we should And I think Max's point that he made on the podium was very interesting. When I asked him, he told me his great question, by the way, which I meant, were you the great question?
Speaker 4: Excellent?
Speaker 6: Was? Was I the great question? But he said that in the first couple of games that he played, he had bad first half and he let it affect him. Uh, he said he went around and told everybody, Hey, that's not happening today. So credit to him because he wasn't great in the first half, and he was a lot better than the second.
Speaker 1: Let's talk a little bit about that second interception and then that play right before the end of the half, because they were trying to score before the half. And then you're looking at this, it's kind of scrambling around. His feet are caught up, and obviously I've not ever been in that situation. I'm sure it's very difficult to make a decision, But you're like, no.
Speaker 6: Why I was hoping Brian that his decision would be to lose six yards right, so we could see Cam a little go for sixty seven, you would have put him.
Speaker 4: Out there for sure.
Speaker 6: That almost happened. Yeah, and I'm kidding, but I ended up point now with Cam, we're at.
Speaker 5: The end of halves.
Speaker 6: When they get around that fifty, I'm kind of hoping the measurement works out to saying he can hit it.
Speaker 3: It's easy to say that you'd like him just to understand the circumstance and go down and not throw the ball up like that. But do you have any doubt that Patrick Mahomes would have made that throw as well? I mean, he does it all the time. The difference is he's throwing it to Travis.
Speaker 4: Kelsey, who's catching it? Yeah, who's catching it there?
Speaker 1: But then with the one second on the clock as well, because that led to this play which if you guys watch call football on Saturday, it looks very reminiscent of what happened to George's quarterback at halftime of their game, which he got lit up as Josh Heinelan, who talked about this after the game, said, Oh, no one's gonna chip me. I'm just I can just run and this was the result.
Speaker 5: Josh's line was funny there too.
Speaker 4: He goes.
Speaker 6: He was saying, I guess they trusted.
Speaker 1: Boy, Yeah, you know, and he trusted his line and didn't expect it.
Speaker 3: This is where you think that sometimes some of these young coaches think it's Madden.
Speaker 4: Hey we got a second left, let's throw it up. And throwing it up you put your quarterback into why not. Yes, you don't do this.
Speaker 3: You're just you're taken me and you go into halftime, you're leading three to nothing.
Speaker 4: You regrow up and try to get better. That's not a video game coach.
Speaker 1: So will Ovis is playing with an ac joint sprain. He's been playing with that and I'm sure that did not help. But he did come back and play in the second half of this game, and when we saw the defense kind of turned up a little bit. Obviously, I'm sure Josh Seck juice them up. But Darrin Jones, we talked about John has a pass breakup and then his sack as well, excuse me, his flit sack as well.
Speaker 6: He had a day.
Speaker 1: He was all over the place.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and again, some guys are football players, right and puts themselves in position to make plays breaks on the ball. He says something interesting in the post game. After about week four or five, he started to get used to the pace of the game. And when that happens, now you can let your instincts take over. That's a huge sack. It gets them the ball back. And then he comes back and he has two pass breakupup two pass breakups in the fourth quarter. He was out there having fun playing in the backyard and that's always fun. And he's a guy that can do that. And Doug mats after the game he got down, he had some bend on that pass rush.
Speaker 5: Maybe he's the third pass rush.
Speaker 3: He's one of those guys along with Inn trel Miller. We talked about him, all those young guys. But he's a guy with a lot of potential to be that guy in the middle of that, to be the nickel guy next year. I mean, he's strong, he can blitz, he can play the run, and more than that, he's tough. He's willing to put his nose in there and mix it up. We saw that with Trevor.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and as might be expected with a young corner. Hey, could he play outside? I have no doubt he could play outside. But nickel in this league now is really a starting position, and it's a position where it's really hard to find guys who are aware enough of everything going on around him. To me, that blitz and the maybe shows you that he needs to be the nickel and not worry so much about, you know, should he have the glamour of playing on the outside. He feels like a nickel back to me, and that's a compliment absolutely.
Speaker 1: Let's talk about two of those other guys we've been talking about, Brian Thomas Jr. And Tank, because they kind of led to that one scoring drive that the Jaguars has one touchdown drive that they had this broken down play. Mac Jones said, maybe I should have thrown it earlier, but it all worked out in the end. And Brian Thomas Jor just showing this was after they've been kind of force feeding him the ball in the second half, really got him going and he's just a difference maker when he had the ball in his hands.
Speaker 4: Well, that goes to what John was.
Speaker 3: You're saying, this is not going to be a good offense the rest of the way. They're gonna have to ham an egge it a little bit and play backyard football, And that's exactly what this is, and it shows you the instincts of Thomas to be available for his quarterback.
Speaker 4: And Max's not a guy that gets out of the pocket a lot, so he was waiting for the opportunity.
Speaker 6: Yeah, sometimes it's not about scheme or play calling. It was funny Mac after the game sort of chastised himself, I should have out the pocket, your boy. Gene Fournett correctly pointed out that him leaving the pocket was what drew Ard and Key in, so they really didn't have that much of an idea what was going on. And that's okay because they made plays in the moment, and a credit to him and credit BTJ again for being aware enough to make that play happen.
Speaker 1: Also, as much as we talk about BTJ, it really opens things up for Tank. Whenever Tank plays well and scores, the team seems to win. So that's a nice combination. We can get the running game going, get Tank going as well, and then finally, well, the Titans did have a chance at this. They had two chances. I'm going to show you the first one because the second one wasn't as fun. They were about to score and couldn't get it done, and it was nice to see the defense come through on that. Calvin Ridley obviously with a big catch and kind of then his going out of bounds as well. I mean, I don't know if his momentum would have allowed him to turn around anyway, but he kind of went out before they got the could get the first down at the goal near the goal line, I think it was at the two. They could have gotten a first down these new downs, and he didn't get there very subtly.
Speaker 6: I thought Trayvon kind of made that play. He was over there and so he got his hands up. Levis had to throw here about a second late. I think people up there were sort of criticizing Calvin.
Speaker 1: I don't think he could have turned at that point.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I don't know, tough.
Speaker 4: I go back to what he said to me in Dallas last preseason. You know how good I am, right, and.
Speaker 6: I'm sure he's that good. I don't know if he's that good.
Speaker 4: Listen, you say it, you better be able to play it right there, and he.
Speaker 1: Didn't, and then I couldn't get it done on that. They also had that four down sequence in the first half, which was a little questionable as well, And it's nice to be on the other side of us for once. It's very good.
Speaker 4: Even after that, you kind of had to hold your breath because.
Speaker 1: Yeah, a little bit, because I gave the ball right free and.
Speaker 4: Out and put it right back.
Speaker 3: But that's where the Jaguars defense made enough place that they had not been able to do it. Remember the Packers game, right game is tied, you're thinking, all right, there's an opportunity here, and they gave up the big play down the field.
Speaker 4: Yesterday they didn't give up the place.
Speaker 6: One play we didn't touch on too that led to the fourth down was when Trayvon almost killed the running back.
Speaker 4: Yes, I thought that was as good a play the game as there was.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and it sort of forced it. So again it's one of those we need more guys around here who make that big play in the big moment. Not a lot of players in the NFL could have.
Speaker 4: Made that play.
Speaker 3: If that game goes to ten nothing at that point because Pollard scores.
Speaker 4: You don't know that you get.
Speaker 6: The chance, you don't.
Speaker 1: All right, stay with this, we'll give your hot takes coming up after the break.
Speaker 5: Nap move the freight moves.
Speaker 1: The freight Magellan Transport go to the coolest office space in jacksonvill You can apply on line at Magellanlogistics dot com.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think just as the game went on, he did a good job getting opened.
Speaker 4: He was open all game.
Speaker 2: But I just kind of have to hive him the ball earlier and let him settle in. You know, as a rookie, I've been there, you want to get to get some catches, get going feeling good. And all the other guys too like that. They're making plays and running backs and tank on that touchdown and stuff. So we just got to find a way to feel a little bit more consistent. But like I said, we didn't roll over and quit this time, and that's important.
Speaker 1: Welcome back to jag Zam this morning on Victory Monday, and we're gonna do our fire house sub hot takes. I'm going first because Mac Jones talked a little bit about it. Game plan, strategy, minds, a blister hot take, go for it. They should keep throwing the ball to that number seven guy.
Speaker 4: He's good.
Speaker 1: I know you all have been saying this for weeks, and I know you're dying and you're pulling your hair out because you wish they did this two months ago. But Brian Thomas Junior is special. Doug Peterson said, they made a point in the second half to go to him no matter what and kind of force feed him the ball. And this is the result. I mean, it was not pretty, but they got to win out of it, and they got Brian Thomas Junior going. And if this offense is going to be anything going forward this season next season as well, they need to develop him, continue to get him better and showcase his skills. And it's good to see it.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 3: Doug probably was a little tongue in cheek talking to Bucky afterwards where he intimated, well, you know, maybe everyone else is smarter than us.
Speaker 4: They know to get the ball to him.
Speaker 3: It's just that the practicality of a football coach comes in in first place. He's like, look, if they've got double coverage over here and we've got a guy over here, you know, let's take what we can get, especially with an offense john that's been struggling. So I think the point that he really could have made a little bit better is the hell with it, no matter what, throwing it down at right.
Speaker 6: Yeah, And it makes frankly a little more sense now in week five, you had Gabe Davis and Christian Kirk playing who whatever the production of Gabe Davis. He was a starter, So you're trying to get the ball everybody. Brian Thomas Junior much like you, Jarion Jones, whatever was said about him during the draft. This kid is a rare combination of elite.
Speaker 4: Ability.
Speaker 6: There's really nothing he lacks, and he's a player like a lot of these guys come into the league when they have Brian Thomas I mean Brian Tomas Junior's skill set and they lack that awareness.
Speaker 5: He would be good.
Speaker 6: If he was slightly less skillful, because he's a very good player in.
Speaker 1: Terms of mental John, what's your hot take for us?
Speaker 5: Off to read it?
Speaker 6: Good for these yeah, and good for these guys. Isn't good for a good guy meaning Mac Jones? Oh look, I don't necessarily, I don't believe that Mac's destiny is to be a ten year starter in the NFL. I do believe his destiny is to be a fifteen year player in the NFL or as long as he wants to. Because he's a great guy to have around. He's going to be prepared. He can get you. You know, if he was playing for a really really good team, which guess what, right now, he's not. He could be a backup and get you two and two when the starter is hurt for four games. That's what you want from a backup and handles it well, cares about it. One for his hometown team. Good. As I said earlier in the show, this is not going to be something that we look back on and say this changed the trajectory of the franchise. Yeah, no, but good for these guys. There's a bunch of good guys in.
Speaker 5: This locker room.
Speaker 6: They want to win. It was fun to be around it.
Speaker 3: If it changes the trajectory of Mac Jones staying in Jacksonville, sure, I'd be all for that.
Speaker 4: I love that guy. I love the suit.
Speaker 3: I just love the quiet, understated swagger that he brings.
Speaker 4: He's fun.
Speaker 1: I like happy Mack and oh yeah, a win will make I think everybody in this building looks happier. So that's good. Say with us here, we'll talk to you a little bit about what's one. Oh shoot, I'm sorry.
Speaker 4: Hold on. It was the hottest of all the hottest. No, I'm kidding. This is gonna be the best show.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I just there was a lot of chattery yesterday social media post about how the Jaguars blew the draft by winning the ball game yesterday. I think Adam Schefter had something out and they went from first overall to fifth.
Speaker 4: Who cares. I get the Travis Hunter thing.
Speaker 3: I'd like to have him here too, But for all the reasons that we've espoused here today, the Tank, Big SPI's, the Jari and Jones, the Ventrel Millers, the Brian Thomas juniors, all those young guys, they've.
Speaker 4: Got to have some success at the end of the year. They need to play their best football.
Speaker 3: These last four games are very important for young players for time on task and when you can do.
Speaker 4: It with a little bit more juice and a little bit more energy.
Speaker 3: It means that the reps at the end of the year will be more valuable to them, and you want that going into next April and the offseason more than you worry about whether you're picking first or fifth or seventh or whatever it is.
Speaker 6: I've always thought too, Brian, it's sort of a silly topic, and I understand the topic, but players and coaches are not going to try to lose, Nope, So it's sort of out of the control, and I think they're gonna win a couple of games here the rest of the way. This one game in early December, I guess it could hurt the draft status, but I mean, obviously it did. But you can't play your coach that way, and you can't expect him to. There's no tanking for Travis. No, it's not the thing.
Speaker 4: Right in twenty twenty, it was full on tank for Trevor.
Speaker 1: But that's because it's a quarterback and you have your quarterback and you.
Speaker 6: Have that so it was also a team capable of losing fifteen oh yeah, yeah without trying.
Speaker 3: And look, I think the Jaguars are going to end up, you know, in the top five to six players, and this has been said already to be a seven or eight player first round, impactful players.
Speaker 4: So you're going to get a player.
Speaker 3: And the Jaguars need them at nearly every position, So you'll find yourself with a good player.
Speaker 4: That's the other thing.
Speaker 1: It's not you just need a quarterback or just one thing. That this team needs several things. So I'm sure they will find someone that fits.
Speaker 3: And selfishly, it's better for us. It's more fun to talk about.
Speaker 1: Winning and Jags fans. I know you want a good draft pick, but it's nice to win a little bit. Okay, we don't want to lose out for the rest of the way, so enjoy this one. Now we will go to break and we'll come back and tell you a little bit about what's going on this week. Jags fans, if you want customized Jaguars furniture for your home, jack on zipchaer dot com to browse all the customizable options. Zip Chair is furniture for fans. And this week's game is brought to you by Hyundai. Get a great deal at a new on a New Honday at Honday Getaway Sales event. Visit Hundai USA dot You can't get to five and oh unless you get to one, Okay, alright, so hey, check the box, check the box.
Speaker 4: We gotta go back to work. No, we got another one coming next week. Hey, just keeps rolling.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 4: But I'm so proud of you guys for the way you work, the way.
Speaker 1: You hang together through highs, through lows, adversity, whatever it is, through injury.
Speaker 4: It takes every single one of us. So my hat's off to you. A great job. But before we go, we gotta get it back. Okay, we gotta get it back. So are you ready?
Speaker 1: One?
Speaker 4: Two, three.
Speaker 1: Evolves back? I haven't heard it in a minute. It is nice to hear it.
Speaker 3: I couldn't see the energy from the coach too, right, I mean we talk all the time about how what a struggle it can be, and you see the players and the coach.
Speaker 4: But for him yesterday, it was nice to see that winning's better than losing. I heard better than losing.
Speaker 1: Also, get ready for this week scheme because I mentioned it's brought to you behind it, but it's also throwbacks once again.
Speaker 4: That will bring a lot of energy.
Speaker 1: Love the uniforms. I know John loves it. Uh always?
Speaker 4: What number will you wear on Sunday? Remember what you may h who know?
Speaker 5: I love it?
Speaker 4: Alright?
Speaker 1: Say with this this week, we'll tell you a little bit about the Jets later in the week and what the Jaggs are gonna be doing.