Speaker 1: Hey, everybody, it is Tuesday, October the fourteenth, And if you like government conspiracies, small town heroes, and one of the funniest lines you will ever hear in a horror movie, have we got a doozy for you? Everybody? Welcome to this number eighteen now as we count down our horror hit lists of our favorite horror movies that you probably don't even know and rose this. This is a favorite. And if you like this is apocalyptic, right.
Speaker 2: Yes, right movie. I love apocalyptic horror movies. This is one of my favorite ones, all time favorite ones. It's The Crazies. Release date twenty ten, runtime an hour forty one and rateed R. It's perfect. It is so much fun. It's got just the right amount of gore and horror and dissipation. You're rooting so hard for the main couple in this, and we love the acting. We love the actors. It's just an awesome movie. So the synopsis is this anarchy reigns when an unknown toxin turns the peaceful citizens of Ogden Marsh into blood thirsty lunatics. In an effort to contain the spread of the infection, authorities blockade the town and use deadly force to keep anyone from getting in or out. Now trapped among killers, Sheriff Dutton and his wife and two companions must band together to find a way out before madness and death overtake them.
Speaker 1: That's a pretty good synopsis.
Speaker 2: It's a great concept because not only are you afraid of your fellow townspeople who are now monstrous, infected, flesh eating crazy people, you're also afraid of the US government that's trying to take you out because they're afraid you might be infected.
Speaker 1: You have no friends in this and it is it's I'll get through the some of the details of it, but right it's once it starts. This is another one that keeps you on the edge of your seat because there's no relief at any point this movie.
Speaker 2: And the opening baseball game, oh yeah, If that doesn't reel you in that scene, then nothing will. I mean, that is such an iconic start to a movie. Every time I've watched this movie, we've watched it together at least five times probably, and I have watched it countless times, and it never gets old.
Speaker 1: This is one why I would say, if you have your doubts about it or doubting us give it ten minutes. This is one I just please ask, Give this one ten minutes and you'll be in.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And it did well at the box office. At the time twenty ten, it had a reported twenty million dollar budget, but it made fifty four point eight million, so it did well. So a lot of folks went out to the theaters to see this one. And we mentioned the stellar cast. We mentioned the stellar acting Timothy Olafant. Yeah, I mean, just a remarkable anytime I see him, and he's done it all rom comms. He always plays law enforcement, I feel like, and this time it's no different. He's a sheriff. He's the sheriff of the small town. Perfectly plays it so well. Roda Mitchell. I didn't necessarily know her name, but man, do I know her face. Every time I see her, I'm like, Oh, this is gonna be good. And so they're the couple. She's the town doctor, I believe, and he is the town sheriff. And together they take on the world.
Speaker 1: And there they make a perfect duo. They make a perfect loving duo that you're really because I'm usually sometimes not a fan of getting so much into some personal family story in a horror movie. This is one I really appreciate it because you're rooting for him so hard because of what he had to go through to get to her. It's a really it's a cool love story in the.
Speaker 2: Middle of this thing there is I do appreciate that she does end up alone and abandoned quite often, but he does usually get there just in a nicked time, which we love. Joe Anderson also plays basically he's his deputy correct in this Joe Anderson, he's like the sidekick, but he's great.
Speaker 1: You know, yeah, you'll know here is another one. You'll know the face, but even if you don't know the name.
Speaker 2: So here's something I found out about the movie that I did not know having watched it so many times feeling like I know this thing backwards and forwards. Did you know that this is a remake? I did not know that it is, Yes, a remake. So the director, Bret Eisner, actually brought in George A. Romero, who wrote and directed the original, to have him serve as an executive producer on the remake, which is really really cool. And so people who were big fans of the original, which by the way, was in nineteen seventy three, it was listed as an action horror sci fi film. It did pretty well. It got sixty eight percent on Rotten Tomatoes back in the day in nineteen seventy three. But people who loved it, it's pretty cool why they loved the remake because there was really a nod to the original throughout. People said it didn't have a major departure. It was changed for more modern time, but all in the right ways. So it was that's very rare where you have a beloved original. People who loved it also loved the remake, and so actually their Rotten Tomato score for the One We Love in twenty ten did really well, seventy two percent on Rotten Tomatoes. I don't understand the audience score fifty seven percent. Wow, how can you explain that?
Speaker 1: Okay, well you look through some of the reviews. How do you explain it? How were they what was their problem with the movie?
Speaker 2: I guess I think that they just felt like it wasn't scary enough. But I actually disagree. I Oh my gosh, the tension the pitchfork alone. If you look at the art, the cover of this film, The Crazies, anywhere you go to stream it, you'll see the pitchfork, and that in and of itself is frightening, and then the way it's used in the film Hello, the.
Speaker 1: Pitchfork scene might be the most terrifying. Terrifying is the word I would use for that scene, because it takes so long to build up, and nobody's jumping out at you. There's no scare. You see it, you feel it, and you're, oh, well, a great scene. So yeah, I don't know. Sometimes people in the horror movies expect jump scares they I don't know, maybe to each his or her own.
Speaker 2: I often, really, I've said this before, rely a lot on audience score versus critics score. But sometimes I am baffled by what people expect out of a movie, and maybe just I think it's I've noticed it in the zombie genre or apocalyptic genre, people have very high expectations. It just seems like they hold those movies to a higher level of They want it to be extra scary, they want the graphics to be beyond reproach, they want the zombies to be a certain way, and if it's not exactly, if there's too much comedy, if there's maybe even too much romance in this one, if there's too much of another subplot they get upset, So I'm just thinking that could possibly be the reason for the lower audience score. Don't out. But the critics consensus, I think is perfectly put, tense, nicely shot, and uncommonly intelligent. The Crazies is a horror remake that unusually works.
Speaker 1: I thought this was smart. Again, I didn't know it was a remake, so when I was first seeing it and seeing how right. We've seen a lot of zombie and apocalypse stuff, and it's usually something in nature. The government was behind this one, and there was I guess there was something more practical about, you know what. I could see them possibly having something in a lab they're developing that gets out and causes all kinds of terrors of the community.
Speaker 2: Hello wuhan COVID nineteen. I mean this is well before any of obviously our common or our present day or our recent pandemic, but man, it did kind of sound a little bit like that. Some Here are some of the critic reviews, and again most of them are good. I've got one bad one in here, just to throw it in, But The Crazies is a genuinely good film, deserving of its namesake, and bolstered by confident, muscular direction and some fine performances from the cast.
Speaker 1: Yes, great cast. Once again, it.
Speaker 2: Was so good all right. While this does have many beats that are similar to films in this genre, the leads were strong and there was some haunting imagery that makes this an interesting watch. The opening baseball scene is really effective.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 2: Yeah, to say the least. That is probably one of my favorite opening scenes of any movie. It's got to be at least in my top ten.
Speaker 1: And terrifying as well, because it was in broad daylight, it was in front of a crowd. Was how long did that? Okay? It played out for a little bit.
Speaker 2: That tension was great because it was a scene that normally would be nothing but fun and light and wholesome and family oriented. And then to have it turn on its head the way it does, Oh my goodness, all right. Another critic review one of those rare cases where the remake lives up to the original, if not exceeds it. Nice see, And I thought, again, I thought that was so cool. Now here's here's one of the bad reviews. Without the rotting ickiness of proper zombies, they just seem like methed Out Iowans looking for a fix that's scary, but not scary enough.
Speaker 1: That's kind of exactly what it is. These are just normal people who they do. They get drugged up on something and they absolutely go crazy. So I think that's maybe accurate, but it scares me.
Speaker 2: Meth Out Islands, if that's what you want to call it. They were pretty damn scary to me, and I don't want to be anywhere near anything or anyone that looks or acts like that. It was creepy, creepy, creepy, all right, and we're.
Speaker 1: I just pointing at you Iolands met Out anything scared right right.
Speaker 2: Right right. But when I saw that review, I did I did laugh. I thought that was pretty funny for a bad review. It was. It got a chuckle out of me, all right. The audience some of what they said, and some of these were recent ones, because again in the streaming world now people are discovering movies that they had never even heard of before. That's part of the reason why we're doing this series, because there are so many good horror flicks out there that you might not have heard of that didn't necessarily get the big box office splash that some others did so this one reads fantastically entertaining flick. Timothy Oliphant will forever be one of the greatest Hollywood stars that has been greatly overlooked, and he brings his a game as usual, and so does the rest of the cast YEP, particularly Joe Anderson as Olafan's cohort. The movie has an intriguing start, maniacal middle, and an awesome ending. Brilliantly directed, edited, and really well written. I thought that was so true.
Speaker 1: And you can't say enough about Timothy Olafant. What was What was the show he was just on when he was a sheriff?
Speaker 2: Deadwood?
Speaker 1: No, that's not him, this one is. I think it was on FX. We're gonna have it in two seconds. But he has been in several things. Again I say the name. You might not know it off the top of your head, but he starred as the bad guy in one of the die Hard four livet for your die Hard he played and gone in sixty seconds.
Speaker 2: As he wasn't Deadwood by the way, this.
Speaker 1: He was in debt he starting Deadwood? Yeah, Oh, what's this other sheriff show? I am bugging.
Speaker 2: I was gonna say, I just I don't know what that one is, but I knew he was in Deadwood.
Speaker 1: Oh really, are you doing this now?
Speaker 2: Well, I don't know which one you're referring to.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, I put justified. Jeez, justified.
Speaker 2: He started in Never Seen It?
Speaker 1: Okay, that was there, it is. That's the one I'm thinking about about that break. But my point is this guy is a face you know and know well. Even goes back to uh scream two.
Speaker 2: Oh yes, I loved.
Speaker 1: As well, so you know his face really well. But he does everything. He's just such. I don't want to say he should be typecast at all. But if you need a small town sheriff with heart who's gonna love his woman and defend his this is your guy.
Speaker 2: That's awesome, all right this song. I wanted to add this little funny review from an audience member because it just made me laugh. I remember the name of the movie, The Crazies, right. Here's his review, very misleading. When I saw the title and watch the movie, I was confused that not one of my ex girlfriends were in this but an he would ah well, enjoyable movie and definitely weren't the watch but it did make me laugh. I thought that was very funny. Something else that made me laugh was a line from the movie that you anticipated right at the exact time it was about to be delivered, and I heard it for the first time in a way I hadn't before.
Speaker 1: See, I don't know, I should we I don't know. I can't give that line away. You know what, I'm curious. We should have folks right in if you watch this movie, please reach out because there is a line in this movie. I think it's unmistakable as the because not a lot of humor in this movie. No, and even when he delivers the line, nobody deadpans, right, But it is the funniest thing. But yeah, I don't know how I remember so much stuff from movies that I love. I know it annoys you, Like any scenario that happens in our day. How annoying is that day to day?
Speaker 2: I can get Well, mostly it's annoying when you can remember exactly what I said and how I said it when I remembered it very differently from the day before.
Speaker 1: But I'm just trying to talk about movies. You turned into relationship, is all right?
Speaker 2: When we come back, how about we give you the line and then we'll talk about why it made our list, who it's for, who it's not for, and what's a pair with. Welcome back everyone to Amy and TJ. This is our deep Cuts, our Halloween horror hit list, and we have made it to number eighteen and the craziest one of our all time favorite movies. And TJ pointed out one of his all time favorite movie lines, there's.
Speaker 1: Not a lot of humor in this movie. I actually cannot remember another moment of humor, any moment of levity.
Speaker 2: I didn't remember that there was a moment at all until you pointed out. Truly, it went right past me.
Speaker 1: So all this is going on, it's just a moment where there's desperation. The authorities are trying to get people out of town, and they're separating people who have a fever. They put you over there in another group because they think maybe you're infected. So Timothy Oliphant, the lead, gets separated from his wife and he's desperate to get to her, but he's walking along another townsman who's like, dude, don't waste your time. He's like, it's a fool's errand to even go back and try to get your wife out, they're gonna shoot you. They're gonna kill you. Timothy Oliphant's asking him about his wife, like this guy seemed perfectly fine leaving his wife behind, at which point Timothy Olaphant delivers the funniest line of the movie, and he says, to the man, tell you what. You don't ask me why I can't leave without my wife, I won't ask you why you can leave without yours. It was just wonderful. Nobody laughed, no deadban and you would the line if you weren't paying attention.
Speaker 2: I had up until this. You literally said, here's my favorite line, and you pointed to it right before he said it, like you knew when he was about to say.
Speaker 1: It was hilarious. But it's again to somebody's point. A. Critics said, great writing.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, yes, yes, So that is one of the many reasons why the Crazies made our list. It's well acted, an amazing plot that pitchfork and yes, some excellently delivered lines by Timothy Oliphant. Amazing. So who is this for? If you love as we all do? And apocalyptic style horror film, a classic kind of zombie infection, We're all gonna die kind of movie. Yes, this is the movie for you. I think that is absolutely who this is for.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it does it well. Some could even think it's a it's a tire genre. You don't see a lot of new stuff. Yeah, there's new stuff in here. And even if it does follow a formula, the leads, the characters make this such a compelling watch. Oh yeah, but right, I guess we qualify zombies.
Speaker 2: Right, yeah, yeah, yeah, because they have to be they have to be killed and like stopped. You have to like shoot them in the head. It's not like they're going to get better, so yes, they're done. Who is this not for? I think if honestly, if you don't want to be entertained, if you don't want crazy fun, if you don't want NonStop thrills, if you don't want to be on the edge of your seat, don't watch this movie because you will be all of those things. I can't even think of. Who wouldn't like this? Is it? It's not that gory. I mean, there's a lot of horror anticipation about what might happen, certainly, and obviously there are some gruesome deaths, but I don't recall this being exceptionally gory.
Speaker 1: No, you're right, I'm trying to think through. No, you're right, but look there's blood and guts. Oh, these folks going after each other. But nah, again, I wouldn't watch it with your middle schooler.
Speaker 2: But no, no, no, no, I would not either. Maybe if you're pregnant, you might not want to watch this wow because the lead character is.
Speaker 1: Oh yes, that's right. Yes, I thought you were saying it wasna not gonna be good for the health.
Speaker 2: Oh no, I just think it might just freak you out a little bit, like just how extra vulnerable you are as a pregnant woman. But that would just be the only thing. Now. In terms of food, drink and pairing, maybe skip the water.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's a reason for that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, maybe don't drink water out of the tap. Drink anything you want out of a can or a bottle. And I would also say, because it's set in Iowa, there's corn fields everywhere, pop some corn, have some popcorn, popcorn, and anything but tap water.
Speaker 1: You know what, In our we work together hours upon hours every day. I don't see you put any more creative effort into anything than you do the food pairings on this You actually give some real thought, I really appreciate it.
Speaker 2: You know what if you if you'd like to like really go all in and theme this out where you feel like, yeah, I am watching this movie and I'm gonna pair it with this and I'm gonna watch this one. You could also watch. There are a lot of daylight hours for this. I think the last half it is dark. Yeah, probably want to watch it at night, Yeah, definitely. Yeah, don't be fooled. The first part of it's in the daytime. We're like, oh, I can watch this with the lines up and daylight. It starts to get dark and then you can't see and it's frustrating. So people are probably laughing at us, like, no one has time to watch horror movies during the day except for us. Oh, we squeeze it in.
Speaker 1: We prioritize Oh, because we usually are done with work by the time the sun comes up.
Speaker 2: That's true, that's true.
Speaker 1: We don't.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're going sleep by seven pm, just when it gets dark. So yes, our kids make fun of that constantly. Where you can watch this just about anywhere, Stars, Hulu, AMC Plus, you stream it. It's there. So this should be readily available to anybody who would like to watch this, and we highly, highly highly recommend that you do. All right, teasing ahead to our next episode, the next movie that we'll be making our list tomorrow. If you think marrying into the family of your spouse was tough, if you don't, if you don't have a great relationship with your in laws, this movie is gonna put your experience to shame.
Speaker 1: Yes, oh yes, stop complaining about your in laws. After you see this movie, you will for sure that's gonna be number seventeen.
Speaker 2: Yeah on our lists. All right, with that, thank you for listening. We hope you enjoyed the Crazies as much as we did. I may be Robock alongside TJ. Holmes. We will talk to you tomorrow. A little final insult love that have a good day, everybody,