Speaker 1: The Best Bits of the Week with Morgan.
Speaker 2: Part one.
Speaker 1: I hang a scene with a member of the show.
Speaker 2: What's Up Party People. It's Saturday morning, and Mike Dye is joining me. Hello, Bike, Hey are you?
Speaker 3: I'm good If you hear my voice a little bit differently, that is because they have a little bit of a head cold.
Speaker 2: So we're just gonna ignore that.
Speaker 1: Okay, That's why I asked, how are you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we are. I'm bundled in a blanket right now.
Speaker 3: I'm either incredibly warm or incredibly hot or incredibly cold, and there's no in between in my life.
Speaker 2: Right now.
Speaker 1: I usually run cold, Like I usually get cold more than I get hot.
Speaker 3: Really, you don't like ever like sweat profusely and you're like, holy cravity.
Speaker 1: Not really. I'm usually on the opposite end, like it could be like sixty I'm freezing in.
Speaker 3: Here, Okay, after feeling that lately, especially as I get older, do you think that's the thing is we get older?
Speaker 1: Yeah, i feel like I'm withering away. My bones are like, that's too cold in here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because whenever I go to the retirement home, it's always so warm, like so.
Speaker 3: Warm, and I'm like, maybe that's the thing because we get older and then you get colder.
Speaker 1: Because I also find myself driving with like nothing, no acon, no airflow whatsoever, and my wife hates it. I'm like, oh, I like thrive in the warmer, just like car environment.
Speaker 3: That's funny too, because most of the time it's always the dudes who want like the air on below sixty, you know, in the house or in the car.
Speaker 2: That's interesting.
Speaker 1: No, I like it just warm and muggy. I guess do.
Speaker 2: You guys spide over the temperature in the house.
Speaker 1: No, not really, because I've kind of gotten used to it. But I think it's more so in the car, like our sides of the car complete opposites.
Speaker 2: So she gets really hot and you get really.
Speaker 1: Goodah, She'll crank it down all the way and then I'm like, keep it like seventy two.
Speaker 2: So what do you guys keep your house hat most of the time?
Speaker 1: Probably like seventy four.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's not an invent.
Speaker 1: My wife also likes to save money, so she's like, I'm not expecting that much money on like tristity to keep it cold. So that's kind of where the balance comes in.
Speaker 2: Okay, I see it.
Speaker 3: I need an update have you gone and done a run club and have you made any new friends in a red club?
Speaker 1: I have not gotten to a run club. I have not made any friends. I've said hi to more people on the trails.
Speaker 2: Okay, this is improvement.
Speaker 1: Like one of them happens to be like a sixty five year old man who crushes it. But I finally got him to like acknowledge.
Speaker 2: Me before he just ignore you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And he's the only person I've seen consistently for the last three years, and he like runs faster and more than I do. And I'm always just impressed by him. But he would just like keep going straight along. And I've had at least had him acknowledge me.
Speaker 2: Did he give me like the head nod?
Speaker 1: Kind of like the head nod wave. There's like a runner wave.
Speaker 2: There's a runner wave.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what is it? It's kind of like just to your side. You either do like a quick little like it's kind of like putting out your fin That's funny.
Speaker 3: It's probably because like if you're moving, you don't want to like full wave. Your body is going forward to the momentum.
Speaker 2: Does it make it?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I just to quick just.
Speaker 2: It's kind of like a salute, but not.
Speaker 1: Yeah the quick because like walkers usually like to say hello, and they'll do like a full wave. Bikers don't say anything to you at all. They'll just try to run you over or yell at you or on your left. But I feel like there's a bond between anybody I encounter who is running because you like feel that same pain, You feel that same like, oh, you're going through it right now. So they're just that runner's wave because you don't want to put too much energy into saying hello, because it's like you're trying to conserve it all.
Speaker 3: Isn't it funny how we have humans have created so many different variations of like hello's. Like there's the jeep wave, there's the runner's wave, there's the head nod, like all these different lines of communication.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because there's also a Mexican high where it's you throw your head back.
Speaker 2: Wait, so you don't do like the head nod.
Speaker 1: No, it's the opposite of the head nod. You literally throw your head back, your head back. Sometimes you add in the arms, like that's a little bit more if we're trying to fight them, But sometimes just the head nod is like a salute to maybe it's some Mexican dude thing, but I feel like I've seen some ants do it as well.
Speaker 2: Like I've seen some ants throw hands. That's funny. It's so crazy. Humans are wild. It also like who starts that one day? You know what I mean?
Speaker 1: I mean it's I think it's just like animals too. Like animals have different ways they say hi, So humans have different ways they say hi. Like dogs sniff each other's butts. We do, weird waves, we do.
Speaker 3: We've added so many different things. It was funny. I follow the account Good News Movement.
Speaker 2: Have you heard of that?
Speaker 3: One they posted a video of these two guys in Argentina and they were on the street in their cars and they were like yelling at each other from their cars and they're like angry over road rage. And then as they got closer to each other, they realized they were friends and then like hugged each other.
Speaker 2: I was like, that's such so weird.
Speaker 3: And then you see the wives come out of the cars and also like embrace each other, and I was like, what an interesting way of approaching each other. And it was like all in the comments was like, oh yeah, this is the Argentina way.
Speaker 1: That's why I don't have road rage, because I always worry that it's going to be somebody that I know, Like, especially like leaving work, I'm like, I'm not yelling at anybody, honking at anybody. His chances are we like pulled into the same garage, like, oh crap, they both work here.
Speaker 2: That's for sure happened to me before.
Speaker 3: We're like we're going to the same place, or like if you're fighting over kind of a parking spot and who's gonna get it, and you get it and.
Speaker 2: Then you end up walking in at the same time and you're like, oh, this is awkward. Yeah, that happened to be at Pilatis the other day.
Speaker 1: That's really awkward.
Speaker 3: Yeah. So, like there was two spaces, but one of them was a handicap space, and scrumpled into the handicap space.
Speaker 2: I don't know if she thought I was trying to fight her over, but I.
Speaker 3: Was like, I know that's a handicap space, but sure you can have it. And then like I pulled into the other one and we like literally start walking in at the same time. I was like, I feel really uncomfortable because like you might get a ticket, but it's fine. It was an awkward moment. Okay, Mike, I need updates on life. How's your wife? Kell's see, how is life in general? Any new things going on?
Speaker 1: We are good right now. I think I've been focused on the word I told you was going to be my word of the year. Invest Yeah, and I've been taking time to invest in myself. And I think it's because in this industry, in any industry, you go through burnout where you just feel like, man, I'm doing the same thing over and over again. Everything's still great, but I kind of feel like I want to do some more things that are for me, and I think I've done that in the last month of focusing on the things I've been wanting to do for a while, and that has been primarily with my podcast and trying to branch out a little more.
Speaker 3: So.
Speaker 1: I've taken on some events that I never thought I would do, Like I hosted my first movie screening. I saw that, which was kind of taking myself out of my comfort zone, but also what I'm comfortable with because I've spent time on a stage. I've done things like that, just not in that capacity. So it was nerve wracking but also comforting At the same time. Yeah, And I think just taking time to do things like that, it's kind of how I break out of that burnout of feeling like, Okay, I still have all these other things I need to do, but I kind of have to prioritize some time for things that I want to do that make me feel like alive, because I think we just start doing things over and over again and we're like, man, like, I feel like I haven't done anything for myself in a while. It still works, though, so I'm still doing things like career driven, but it just kind of feels like afresh, just like ah, this feels good again.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you becoming that routine of the work to live rather than like living and working, and.
Speaker 2: It's not a fun place to be.
Speaker 3: When that starts to happen, you feel like you're missing out on a lot of life and you're like things are just passing you by, and you wake up it's like three years later and you've missed everything that happens.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the time passing is just crazy when you get older and you just see like man, years have gone by, Like what do I have to show for it? Yeah, So, in like the last month, I've kind of just been just focused on that doing more interviews with my podcast, which is something I've just been trying to get better at, and I just find myself at times feeling like I suck at it, but I know that I need the reps to be able to do it more.
Speaker 2: So, you feel like you suck at interviews?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I feel like I suck at everything anything I do on my own. I feel like I suck at and you.
Speaker 3: Don't let me reassure you that you don't. Your interviews are awesome and you're great at what you do. But I also understand like this, uh it's called imposter syndrome.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't even know if exact exactly if it's imposter syndrome. I just feel that I'm somebody who gets so prepared, like I'm over prepared for an interview. I read all about the person for me, I have to watch a movie for every interview, which I love to do, and that's like my favorite thing. And I feel like I get in my head too much of like, oh, I have all these perfect questions I want to ask, and then in the moment, I'm like I lose myself and I'm like I don't know how I take how I feel about things and translate it back into here without me sounding like an idiot, or without me getting to everything, or without me feeling like I didn't have a good conversation at the end of it. So I still feel like there's a learning thing I need to get over in that process. When I listen back to them, I'm like, Oh, it's not as bad as a fella in the moment, Like in the moment, I feel like, oh, I'm ruining this right now, and then later I listen back or cut clips from it, and I'm like, Oh, it's actually not bad.
Speaker 3: I feel like there's two things I've really learned when it's come to interviews, and one being you.
Speaker 2: Can never be weird for geeking out.
Speaker 3: People love when people geek out, even if it's over them or over something they did. Like. People love seeing people being passionate, especially if it's about things that like there's similar things that they're also passionate about.
Speaker 2: So I don't feel like.
Speaker 3: You're ever gonna look stupid for like sharing your feelings and thoughts as you're like processing something. I think that's one thing that's kind of a misconception about interviews because we especially when, especially for you, you're gonna get actors and these people that you've probably looked up to or watched a lot of their stuff. I think so much of what they do as an artist wants to be seen in that way. They'd rather someone be so excited and passionate or like have a lot of questions about what they've done, then somebody who just comes to and says, this is really cool, you did a good job.
Speaker 2: Can you tell me why you came up with that? You know what I mean? So you can never not geek out enough.
Speaker 3: And two, throwing out the questions is sometimes better and just allowing yourself to have a conversation with another like human being and just existing within that moment rather than being like, I have to hit all of these things, whether it's for fans of the movie or fans of a certain type of thing that's that person is involved with. Like sometimes throwing out that role book of these are important things to get to.
Speaker 2: Is necessary to get to, like a really good interview.
Speaker 3: There's been times where I've like prepped for interviews and it will just go in a completely different direction.
Speaker 2: And it's worth it.
Speaker 3: It's always been worth it, and never once where I was like, dang, I should have stayed on my track. I was like, no, we got somewhere so much better and so much deeper. So those two things are things that I feel like I've really learned in interviews.
Speaker 2: I don't know if that helps at all.
Speaker 1: That's good advice because I think listening to you say that and thinking of like how I would go into some of these is I would try to emulate some of the people I like a little bit too much, because there's some interviewers that I like that get to the point really quickly and ask questions that I'm like, ah, like, that's just a great formulated question, And I think I've tried to do that too much, where I'm like, I need to scale it back because I need to think about how I approach even how I talk about movie where it's more from a place of passion in a place of like how things make me feel. I was like, I got to focus on that more. I got to stop trying to be the guy who's going to ask questions that is going to like rattle them or blow their minds a little bit of like, oh, he went into this amount of depth for this question. I think I got to get away from that and just talk how I talk about stuff on my podcast.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because it's also hard.
Speaker 3: Sometimes getting to the point leaves out a lot of the like vulnerable good moments. Sometimes when you just make him like get to this like very like yes, it may be deep and maybe like, oh I've never heard that question before, But most of the time when you allow them to just like be passionate and excited that you end up getting stuff that they would never say anyway because they're excited and they're passionate.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think you nailed it right there. I'm always trying to like, I think that's the best thing as an interviewer is somebody saying I've never been asked that before, and I've been chasing that too much, where I'm like, I'm getting way too specific. I'm just trying too hard in that capacity. Yeah, I need to just ask them. Sometimes it feels like you're not trying as hard when you ask more simple questions. But sometimes I probably just keeping it simple just helps it breathe a little bit.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And I don't think here's the thing too, Like there is probably a side of this where you're interviewing people who are on these circuits and they're getting so many of the same questions.
Speaker 2: But I think when you get.
Speaker 3: To geek out is when you start asking questions that they've never heard. Because so many of those people who are in those circuits are in the media and they're not watching or they're not really in depth into the movie space. They're probably more involved with them as an actor or as a person. So them getting to like really geek out about like their art and their project is going to be something that they're not having much experience with already. So you leaning into that side, I think is gonna accomplish that without trying. I don't know if that makes any sense. It does since in my brain, as obviously.
Speaker 1: It does, because that is the battle I have is they are on circuits where they're doing one after another for two to three hours, and I'm like, they're probably burnt by the time they get to me. They've been answering the same question over and over. But there are certain questions I need to get that I feel are the best representation. I'm like, gosh, how do you do it? And then I also get shorter amounts of time. It's like ten fifteen minutes most times because they are in these circuits and it's like very limited. So I'm like, I gotta just come right out of the gate and try to get something out of them quickly.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think maybe more of a strategy. It's like you ask your two things that you have to ask for, like necessity, and then you just start geeking out, especially if you love something, if you watch something and you were so excited about it.
Speaker 2: I know there's sometimes you watch no, it wasn't very good, but you watch.
Speaker 3: Something you get excited about it, and you have an interview with one of them be excited about it. I think we get so caught up in this idea of like trying to work in other people's perceptions, and the best interviews are always the ones or you just be who you are and allow that to come through.
Speaker 2: Those are the ones that are people enjoy listening to too.
Speaker 1: That is something somebody asked me recently on I think they do a dm me on Instagram is what do you do if you don't like the movie they did?
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I find that I've been lucky that most everybody I've interviewed I've actually enjoyed their work is because I find. If I don't, I usually won't take it because it's really hard when it's so focused on the movie to not like it. It come from a place and it depends because I feel like I could find something in anything even if I didn't like the movie. I could find something of the elements of filmmaking or other work that they've done that I could ask them about without me saying that I didn't like this movie. It's really hard to do, so I don't normally do that. But for the most part, I think there's something you can find in anything even if the project is bad. But I won't lie and say that I liked the movie that I didn't like and I won't give it a good review if I did it, I just kind of will tiptoe around it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I like other ways to talk about different.
Speaker 1: Pieces because also like somebody will like it, Like if I don't like it, somebody else will like it. And I think that's always the perspective I try to give in my reviews, like I hated this, but if you like so and so, you might enjoy it. So I don't try to ruin other people from enjoying something. I just give you my honest opinion.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you and I have had various like opposite reviews on a lot of things, but every time I'm like, no, I respect it, Like that's a fair point.
Speaker 2: But also I still feel the way that I feel.
Speaker 1: I think that's why I like doing this is because it is subjective. Like just because I say I like something doesn't mean that that thing is actually good. Yeah, you could watch it and hate it. That's why I enjoy and I enjoy the debate of people who like something that I don't like or don't like something that I like. That's what makes it fun. And also, like when you're talking about movies, it doesn't feel as rage feel when you're like arguing about politics or something, because it's like nobody's right here. It's it's all fiction. Yeah, nobody's gonna yeah, there's no real true it's all opinion.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's not a lot of like you don't have like punishment for feeling how you feel. Okay, we're gonna take a quick break. We're gonna come back and get some more updates from Mike. We got on a little rant there about movies and topics, which I know is fun for you to always talk about but I know, like you also have your own podcast about that, so I try and avoid it. I do want to hear about like your wife, how are things going with your wife? And other stuff outside of work.
Speaker 2: We focus on work, let's focus outside of work.
Speaker 1: Outside of work, she is trying to convince me we need to get a dog every single day.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you still haven't caved.
Speaker 1: Still haven't caved. But I'm closer to it, okay, because I think she makes really good points of she just wants somebody who because she works from home four out of the five days of the week. She's like, I just need somebody here to like hang out with me. Yeah, And I think I'm at that point where I could see it, because.
Speaker 2: What's your hold up so far?
Speaker 1: The only thing is like right now, I like the ability for us to be able to leave on a whim. We like to travel, and we like to book last minute trips, Like we just booked a trip to go home next month, and it was kind of like, okay, we can we can make it, get everything in line, we can go. I feel like adding in a dog will complicate that. But I also don't think we're going to be like that forever, right now like I feel like we have another year or two before we start thinking about kids, that we have this window that we want to be like have no restraints. That's really my only hold up at the moment, and also just I think me having to contribute to that as well, like I know, like she really wants a dog and said, like it's almost like if like a kid really wants a dog, like no, I'll take care of it. I'll walk it, I'll feed it. And I know I'll take on some of that responsibility because I will, and I'll eventually go to find a way to fit that into everything. But I think right now that feels a little overwhelming still, So that's still my only hang up. And the fact that like it's so easy to just get out of here if we want to and not worry about that, because that is hard to do. It is is what do you do when you when you leave town?
Speaker 2: I have to have friends. I like calling all my friends. I'm like, Okay, who can come stay at the house.
Speaker 3: And it's like I don't even like sending that text sometimes just because it feels like I'm asking somebody to like really help and contribute to my life and it's tough, like it really does add a thing. I've learned how to travel with them a lot. I've had to just it's like, Okay, if I really want to go somewhere on a whim, like a weekend trip, Okay, where can I go that I can drive and they're tagging along. That's kind of the attitude I've had to change around it. But then when I really want to go on other trips, it's finding people to watch them, and how does that work? And I kind of set myself up for a lot of friends to watch and like sometimes I'll drive home and literally drop them off with my parents and I'm like, Okay, thanks guys, but I have to drive twenty two hours of my life to make that happen. But in all honesty, that is so worth it to me. That's like a they are so worth it. It's worth that trade off for me to travel a few times a year to kind of change my routes and what I have to do. I will say, though, I do think you guys could start fostering, and I think that would help.
Speaker 1: That's probably yeah, that's probably a good in between.
Speaker 3: I think it would allow her to have somebody there all the time, and it would allow you to see how an animal would fit INTERI.
Speaker 2: As his lifestyle.
Speaker 1: How about the way she is. I could just see her like, no, we're not giving them back, We're not doing it.
Speaker 2: And that is true, and you've said that before.
Speaker 3: But it could be like you're like, hey, I'm willing to like give this a shot. Let's just foster and see how this goes, and let me see how I feel and if you can get her to be on in agreement with you of like, this isn't a guarantee, like this is what I want, but like I need to see how I I'm gonna be able to fit this into my life and just maybe that's an option.
Speaker 1: Yeah. The compromise I would make with her is we could foster a dog when we also have to foster a cat.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I'm more of a cat guy and she's not. Yeah, I'm like I grew up having cats. I love cats. Every now and then we'll get a cat who comes by the house just to chill and I'll feed them, I'll hang out with them, yeah, and then they go about their way. I just love I just love.
Speaker 2: Cats like they are more independent.
Speaker 1: I think that's why because they kind of chill do their own thing. They'll come over and show you a little affections and they're like, all right, I'm good man, just feed me, give me some water, and I'm good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you totally could. You can totally foster.
Speaker 3: Listen, I gotta rescue that saves dog dayan cats, so you can foster both.
Speaker 2: And I love both.
Speaker 3: I have one of each, and they're they're vastly different, but like my and maybe we need to get Kelsey to meet my cat, because everybody who's not a cat person meets my cat and they're like.
Speaker 2: Oh, I like cats.
Speaker 3: You have to have had the right interaction because there are a lot of mean cats. Like cats are, they're sassy and they have a personality, but like Siamese growing up with them, they act like dogs. They're very like attentive and they really want to be around you. They're not like like, my cat would love to be next to me and all my lap at all hours of every day, whereas some cats are like, no, don't touch me. I'll come to you when I want to hang out, you know that. Like there's different personality types. So maybe we need to get Hurt to meet my cats. And then she can be open to the idea of also fostering a cat, and then you guys both get something here.
Speaker 1: How was that integrating a dog and a cat? Do they really fight at the very beginning? Is it kind of like an adjustment? Because I remember even when I would have two cats, they would kind of feel each other at a little bit, they'd like miss at each other, kind of chase each other, and then they'd be cool after a while.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, yeah, especially because listen, Remy, my dog is she is an only child.
Speaker 2: She wanted to be an only child her entire life. That is all she ever wanted.
Speaker 3: So when I first started astering Hazel, it was for sure an adjustment for her. And they would have moments like Hazel's got a solid left right hook on her, so solid. I have to keep those nails trimmed all the time because if Remy gets too close and they're like having.
Speaker 2: A moment, it is fight. Wwe in my kitchen.
Speaker 3: So it still happens, It's okay, Yeah, It's just like they have so much, so many more moments now where they coexist so well, and they both greet me at the back door, no issues, and they've kind of like found their spaces to dominate.
Speaker 2: But Remy is super possessive over the couch, and I'm not.
Speaker 3: Really sure why, Like you would think she's possessive over her food or her toys. Which like food, she's fine, she knows she's gonna be fed all the time.
Speaker 2: Toys, she has her moments.
Speaker 3: But the couch, there's something about the couch that when Hazel like tries to be on it, when I'm on it, it's like it really is wwe. So I'm working on Remy to try and me like girlfriend, there's lots of room on this couch for ultiple animals, but that's still always a work in progress. Besides that, we've we've come a really long way. It was it was an adjustment, for sure, But I also introduced two adult animals. I think it is a lot easier when you would introduce younger animals.
Speaker 1: Together because they just get more used to it. It's like, oh, this is just normal.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Like Remy was eight years old when I adopted Hazel. Hazel was also eight years old when I adopted her.
Speaker 2: Did I say that right?
Speaker 3: Yeah, Remy was eight years old when I adopted Hazel, and Hazel was eight when I adopted her, so they were both adult cat, adult animals, like already very stuck in their own ways, and I'm like here figured out. So I do think it helps when they're a little bit younger, so you're not like Remy had eight years of her life where it was just her, and then Hazel had eight years of our life where she was around one hundred and thirty.
Speaker 2: Other cats, So we were dealing with a lot of variables there.
Speaker 1: It'd be hard for humans. I can imagine pets.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but can And there's so many people who have dogs and cats and they get along and they cut all the time. So you just find maybe you start with a cat, and then you every time you foster a dog, you make sure that it is cat friendly, because that's always a thing. I've had plenty of fosters who are great with cats. But then I found the one little grimlin from the street and she.
Speaker 2: Wanted to chase my cat.
Speaker 3: So they all have their things, their little personalities. But I do think this is a compromise and a way in for you guys, for sure.
Speaker 2: Just an idea.
Speaker 1: I think she'll love that idea because then you.
Speaker 3: Can help too, and you can both start to feel out, like what feels right for you guys instead of just like throwing yourselves to the wolves.
Speaker 2: And you're like, well, we have a dog and this is.
Speaker 3: Where we're at, you know, because I do think a lot of people do that and they're like, what do we get ourselves into? Not in a bad way, it's just it is a lifestyle change, for sure. I always have to think about them. I'm like, Okay, we're done with work, i gotta run home, gotta let all the animals like they're they're missing me. It's a it's a process for sure, but I'll be excited when you guys. Do I think you guys will be great pet parents?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I think so too. I think it'll grow on me.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you're like maybe, but I totally I didn't know you were a cat person.
Speaker 2: I love that.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, Like I I've always loved cats since I was a kid. Like in the trailer park there was always stray cats, and I'd be the one who would feed them, so they would all come to our trailer to hang out.
Speaker 2: Or your parents like wark all these cats around.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then they would just kind of embrace it. And then I made them cat people now because they have like maybe four cats at home.
Speaker 2: That's amazing. Yeah see, and they're awesome.
Speaker 3: I'm a huge cat lover, but there's more often than not people don't like cats. But I think it's most of the time they've had a bad experience with them.
Speaker 2: And they're also they can scratch you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I guess that's the thing.
Speaker 3: When I first cut Hazel's nails, I was like, oh okay. I literally was like in the head to head to toe. I even had gloves on, like not like uh text clove like gloves that you'd wear in the wintertime. I was so prepared for her to just like scratch the crap out of me, and she just literally sat there like okay, fine, just get this over with, like no big deal.
Speaker 2: I was like, cool, I really appreciate this because we're gonna have to do it like once a week.
Speaker 1: I mean, my cat that we had in from like maybe middle school to high school would be my alarm clock for school every morning. I love, like you would wake me up. As soon as he started like digging into my back, I was like, Oh, time to wake up for school.
Speaker 2: This is so cool. When they opened the biscuit factory. It's my favorite thing. That's what I call it.
Speaker 1: Oh, the biscuit Oh okay, oh yeah, you're like, what are you talking about. My cat didn't have a job.
Speaker 2: You know what they need?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I call it the biscuit factories open because Hazel goes to down on some biscuits.
Speaker 2: Man, it's the whole thing. Okay, we're gonna take one more quick break.
Speaker 3: We'll be right back, all right, Mike, any other life updates before we get into some random questions.
Speaker 1: I feel like I'm pretty close to getting my braces off. I had an orthodonist appointment yesterday and they're like, it's looking good. I have a dentist appointment coming up. This is the thing I've been just driving myself crazy with going back and forth between Orthodontia's and Denis. So I have another dentist appointment where they're going to look at the spacing in my teeth, and if they say it's good to go to get the bridge placed in there now, maybe in the next month or so that process begins. I don't know how long that process is yet, because I've been asking it for so long and they're like, we don't want to give you a timeline at this moment, but I think soon they'll come off. And I don't know how long the other process is going to be because I'm just trying to get over one hurdle.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and it's probably better to just focus on one, yeah than be like, Okay, there's eight different timelines in my brain.
Speaker 2: That's exciting, yeah.
Speaker 1: Because I'm just tired of having things poke me in the mouth and like scraping me. I'm just tired of having them that I've kind of that point of like I don't want to wait any longer. I've been patient for too long now. So I think that's probably the most exciting thing right now. That is exciting because I remember that feeling when I had them off briefly of like being able to like touch my teeth for the first time, and it just felt freeing and liberating. Yeah, So I kind of want that all the time. I'm also starting to think about the post process of like wearing a retainer and all those things, which is gonna suck, but I think that's worth it.
Speaker 3: It is, and as somebody who notoriously did not wear her retainer and then had to get a missline later in life, wear the retainer.
Speaker 2: Wear the freaking retainer.
Speaker 3: I also got the permanent one on my bottom teeth, so I don't wear a retainer.
Speaker 1: You have a permanent retainer.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you can see it here. I'm sorry you guys aren't going to see it on the podcast, but.
Speaker 1: Okay here.
Speaker 2: It's like a little silver it's literally just on my front teeth.
Speaker 1: You take it out and put it in, you stick it's in all the time. Dang, I didn't think it.
Speaker 3: My bottom teeth moved so much. That was really where my problem was was my bottom teeth. And I am really good about wearing my top retainer, but I also have all kinds of job.
Speaker 2: Problems and I'm just kind of incoreded I do any other things to worry about.
Speaker 3: But they were like, you could put this in and it's not a full retainer, so I don't have anything on my back teeth. It's just this little like metal bar that they sealed on like my two canines, and then it's right with the front teeth.
Speaker 2: So that could be an option.
Speaker 1: I didn't know that was a thing. I'm going to ask about that. Yeah, I've been learning all these things that are things that you can put in your mouth.
Speaker 3: I'm not gonna take that way from Mike, But yes, it is an option because I just didn't trust myself with my bottom teeth. I trusted myself with my top for some reason, but not my bottom. So you can't do it and it doesn't. The only thing that sex is like you can't floss regularly, like use like a fake or what.
Speaker 1: I can't really do regular fluss right now, I like this gi flaws. That sucks.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and that's what kind of you have to use this needle thread if you really want to floss them, which I'll do once a week, but I use a floss uh water floss pick thing whatever they're called. I can't think of the name right now, but I use that and it works just fine. Every time I go to the dentists every six months, they're like.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you look good. I'm like, sweet, cool, it's working. So option.
Speaker 1: I guess that's the part that blows my mind, Like how long I've been wearing these that if you don't wear that, it can take them away. I'm like, how, like how did they move back?
Speaker 3: I know it is like they and they move crazy amounts. Mike, you should have seen mine, like I had full orthodonist work for seven years when I was a kid, and then I rebellion never wore any of my retainers. At one point I was wearing them and then I'd pop them out in the middle of.
Speaker 2: The night, like while I'm sleeping.
Speaker 3: That's how much I hated them, and I'd wake up and they'd be like on my face, like I don't really know how that happened, And then they just.
Speaker 2: I stopped wearing it and they wouldn't fit anymore.
Speaker 3: They were too tight because my mouth had already moved so much within even like a month.
Speaker 2: It's wild.
Speaker 1: It is because like this space that we've been trying to make is literally like millimeters they've been looking at like maybe even less than that, and it's take taken months for that. And to think that if I don't wear a retainer for like I don't know, like a month, it all goes away. I'm like, how does it move back quicker than it does? Straighten?
Speaker 2: Yep?
Speaker 3: I trust me, I don't understand teth And maybe it's different as you get older, maybe they don't move quite as much, but I don't know that exact science of things.
Speaker 2: So exciting though, Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think the thing I'm ready to be done with is the fact that when I go in, it's mostly all teenagers and kids, and I'm like the only adult, and they're always like so surprised of how well I take everything. Yeah, like I don't care about the pain, Like I don't.
Speaker 2: Like I'm in my thirties.
Speaker 1: What did you expect? I was like, I don't know what you expect for me to like act like these other patients in here, like I know how to do this. I'm I also like I pay attention to all the things they tell me to do, and I'm not going to like defy it. Like I'm so good at like following all those rules and like not eating the foods I'm not supposed to eat because I'll like break a bracket or whatever. I feel like they're always surprised by that. They're like, oh, we don't have to like get on to you about things. You take care of your teeth. I'm like, yeah, like I'm paid for this.
Speaker 2: Yeah You're like, no, this is my hard.
Speaker 1: Money and come here every month for like an hour. I'm not gonna mess everything up.
Speaker 3: Oh man, Well, hopefully that means my next best bits you'll maybe have them off.
Speaker 1: Maybe maybe because I have another or pho appointment again in a month from now, so maybe I'm at least at the point where I'm going in to find out that I'm still thinking like two months.
Speaker 3: Well here's the thing though, too, I bet more than anything, what you're excited about is just not to have all those appointments anymore. Yeah, because it's a lot, it's a lot of work, and for how long you've had them on, like, it's just become so part of your routine. I remember when I got my lasick and I had been using contacts and glasses my whole life. When I got to take out like my step of not wearing contacts in the morning and the night, I was like, dang, I just gained like thirty minutes back to my life.
Speaker 1: It was wild, because, yeah, I mean, it's like an hour appointment, but you get the factor in like the time it takes a get there, time it takes a get back. Every time it comes up that week, I'm like, oh, I got to structure my whole week around this one appointment. Yup, and it's ortho and dentist.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so you have like a double whammy happening all the time.
Speaker 1: Luckily mine are right next to each other, so I try to plot it out where I can set the appointments back to back, and they've been pretty good because they're like they know each other and they like, oh, yeah, you go here, then you go there. Yeah, so I can knock out everything for the most part. If I have to go to both, I'll try to do it in the same visit, but then that goes away mm hmm, and.
Speaker 2: Then I'll go and you'll get so much time back. You're like, dang, what is my life? I'm telling you, it's a game changer. Okay. I wanted to ask you.
Speaker 3: I had this kind of crazy moment with a listener and I think I saw on your Facebook page you had posted something too about your running and a listener. I wanted you to share that because I had a listener reach out to me and it was like, actually, really sad.
Speaker 2: Because she had lost her dog.
Speaker 3: But what was wild was her dog in the last moments was experiencing vertigo and she wouldn't have known it if she hadn't seen my videos of my eyes.
Speaker 2: Her dog's eyes were doing.
Speaker 3: What mine were doing, and it gave her, like some clarity and understanding what was happening to her dog, and she had no idea, and it was a really weird and like horrible connection, not a connection that I would have wanted for her. But also she was really thankful that I had like posted like my insane medical experiences and it was like important, It felt important.
Speaker 2: And it mattered in a way, and.
Speaker 3: I just haven't had that kind of connection with a listener and like a hot minute you get to meet him and everybody's so kind and it's so special.
Speaker 2: But that was just like, Okay, I know I'm posting these.
Speaker 3: Like silly videos about my life experiences, but they matter and it's going to like help somebody. And just to know that I helped the listener not only that, but just like help feel some version of closure and understanding, like it was. I was so emotional when I got that message.
Speaker 1: So I didn't know dogs could also get verdi go.
Speaker 3: I think they, I believe, like it's very rare, but they can, and it's not. And it's even harder for them because like you imagine it's happening to me and I'm already sitting there like I have no idea what's happening to my body when it first happened.
Speaker 1: And you can, you can, you can hardly explain that disappointing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, let alone like a dog and you're like, what is happening in your dog? Like you probably think it's having a seizure and all these things. So it was just a really cool but unfortunate moment. And I'm so so heartbroken for them that this happened, but also just happy that the information.
Speaker 2: Was there and available to her to have.
Speaker 3: So I wanted to share that because I feel like it's important. Sometimes we get so lost in the mundane of like what we're doing doesn't really matter and oh yeah, you know, and.
Speaker 1: You also just never know what's going to connect. And you post something like that and somebody like, oh, I think I've experienced that too, or I think something like that is happening to me now, and you.
Speaker 2: Start to feel okay, like this is worth it.
Speaker 3: My silly videos, I know they're crazy, but it's helping people.
Speaker 2: So it felt really good And I saw you share something that I wanted you to share, that kind of running story.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was kind of a thing that I have been experiencing lately of like physically, I haven't felt like great about my body and like how I just feel overall I haven't felt comfortable with my clothes, and I started thinking about that my body has been allowing me to run, work out, and do the things that I want to do in life. And I realized that that kind of started to have more value than how I feel about myself. And I started thinking about like my running, like I'm able to run for hours at a time I'm and like my body has the strength to do that even though I feel like I'm not the most comfortable, Like my body is strong and it has the ability to push me. And I just started to approach running differently lately, of like I don't have to run, like I get to run, because sometimes it's hard to do, Like it's hard to do any kind of work out. You're like, I don't want to do this, I'm not feeling great, I'm feeling tired. What is it even going to change? But if I have that ability now, I have to do it because someday I won't be able to and that's going to suck when I physically can't. And I'm going to think back on those times where I wanted to and just or when I could do it and just didn't want to do it. And I think just in life, I've been able to learn from other people who've had that same type of feeling of thinking like they didn't know what they had until they lost it, and I didn't want to get to that point. Like I've been lucky in life to not have had major losses in my life or major just tragedies or traumas that people go through a lot of people going through a lot right now, and I haven't had to experience that personally to learn from it. So I think that's where this whole post came from, is like I just said, like, hey, like I run because I can right now. Someday I won't be able to. And I got a comment from a listener who said that she used to love, you know, walking, that was a big part of her life, and then she's had some health issues recently that she's not been able to do that and how much she just wants to get out there and just walk. And I thought, just walking, like that's just like a little thing we take for granted to be able to walk somewhere. So I replied to her and I'm like, next round, I'm doing I'm dedicating it to you, and I did. I went for a run the next day. I posted about it just for anybody else who maybe is going through something like that of not being able to do the thing they love right now. And I just didn't want to get to a point where I took that for granted anymore. And I know there's a lot of people out there with health issues right now that I just started reading the comments, it's like, man, like this sucks. But if I could do something like that for somebody just to feel like, oh, they acknowledge that and they're not taking it for granted, I think that meant a little bit.
Speaker 3: No, it absolutely did, and I'm sure to her she was like, Oh, somebody's validating this experience that I'm having, And it probably felt really good to her to just feel that from someone who she's connecting with on that level.
Speaker 2: So it did. That's why I wanted you to share it. And it's special. Like I'm so.
Speaker 3: Often it's it's really easy to get caught up in what we're doing. And just like as we were talking in the beginning, the burnout and gosh, Mike, the days I've been having lately where I'm like I work all the time. I don't have time to do any of this stuff. Like I was just telling something of the other days, like the lowest thing on my totem pole is like my like literal showering. If I get a shower, it's a good day. And they're like, well, when's the last time. I was like two days ago and it wasn't like, you know, not body shot.
Speaker 2: I'm trying like my full shower, because that's an experience. Yes, thank you.
Speaker 3: As a woman, you have the everything shower where you actually wash your hair. And they're like dang, like you can't do that. And then the other night, a friend came over and we're about to go to a concert and I was literally eating olives.
Speaker 2: I was like, here's my dinner and she's like, no, you need to eat. I'm like, I haven't had time to eat. It's just not in my Like there's so many other things.
Speaker 3: I have to do that like eating and showering have become luxuries.
Speaker 1: I feel that way about eating, where it's it just feels like something I do to fuel myself. And I'm like some people enjoy making dinner and like they make different foods. I'm like I have to eat the same thing every day because I don't want to think about it.
Speaker 3: I know, and see that's what sucks for me. I love dinner, I love food. I love making meals, and I don't have time.
Speaker 2: I literally I had gone to the grocery store in like three weeks.
Speaker 3: I'm pretty sure I was surviving off of olives and carrots for literally like days. I'm like, I need f dude, I need to actually be eating, and it's just become like the lowest thing on the totem pole. So I'm I'm working through that right now, trying to understand. But yes, all that to say, I know everything. We get really caught up and some days we're like, dang, this has even worth it, and I'm I'm tired.
Speaker 2: I want to sleep.
Speaker 1: For where you have food on your totem pole. I think that's where like my social stuff is, like that's like the lowest. The only thing I've kind of done recently is I've like Kelsey has made a lot of friends here now, like she has a lot of work friends. And we went to a ultimate Frisbee or match I guess a game because her one of her coworkers plays on the team, and I'm like slowly finding myself adopting to her friends because it's like she has her coworker friends who have husbands and like, you guys would get along great. And even after that, she was like, both of you guys like Pokemon. We're all going out and we're hanging out and we're making you guys friends. And it felt like parents setting up kids on a playdate where the common ground is Pokemon.
Speaker 2: You know, sometimes we need a little push.
Speaker 3: Sometimes that happens, and sometimes that's how you make really good friends. Though, and then maybe you make other friends by way of that friend and that becomes your friend.
Speaker 1: It could be my end it is.
Speaker 2: That's a way. You should totally own it. Like I get it, though. I get that that's like your lowest total pole and you're like, I don't have time for this and it's a lot of work. I get it. But also you do deserve to I deserve to.
Speaker 3: Shower and eat, and you deserve to have friends, you know, like we do deserve those things in our life.
Speaker 2: So I think you should do it. Are you Are you open to doing it?
Speaker 1: Are you like I'm open to doing it. I just feel there's an added pressure that they're so good friends already, and I'm like, I don't know if I can match that level or even find the common ground.
Speaker 3: Okay, well, you don't have to become best friends with that person, but it could be at least a friend. It doesn't have to be like your best friend or someone that you're gonna call and hang out by yourselves, but it could be a surface friend. And a surface friend is better than no friends, that's true. So I have lots of service friends in my life, Like people have tried to connect me in all the time. I'm like, okay, yeah, and I'll hang out like surface friend. Cool, this is really nice to meet you. You're really awesome. It's just you know, you know, bond in that way. So you need all kinds of friendships. This is your start because especially you still have yet to go to a room club.
Speaker 2: Mike.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I've challenged you for like four best bits now, so you got to take a step in different direction.
Speaker 2: This isn't working.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I can try this one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is maybe easier.
Speaker 3: And you have your wife there, so like worst case scenario be like, hey, I'm sick, I need to go home, you know what I mean? Yeah, and she'll be like, Okay, bye, you know it's fine. Oh Michael, thanks for being here. Any last words, anything else you want to share that we haven't got to.
Speaker 1: Hopefully I come back with two updates with braces off and an acquaintance, a surface friend, a surface friend.
Speaker 2: Okay, I like this. Well, I have hope and I believe in you as I have in all the other weeks.
Speaker 3: But that hope is dwindling a little bit, at least a friend's side. The brace's side, we know that's coming, which is a matter of time. But the friend's side, I'm putting all of my energy into believing that this will happen for you.
Speaker 2: Okay, but that means you also have to. This cannot just be me.
Speaker 1: It just feels like dating again. When it was putting myself out there to find somebody to spend my life with, Now it's like putting yourself out there to find a friend.
Speaker 2: It is.
Speaker 3: It is like dating, and don't let anybody convince you otherwise, because it is.
Speaker 2: You have to be compatible.
Speaker 3: You have to want to hang around this person often, you want to call them in vulnerable moments like that's a friend, and that is dating in a way. That's why there's BUMBLEBFF for a reason.
Speaker 2: So, but you can do this, Okay. I have faith, my hope, manifestation, all.
Speaker 1: The things I believe in. You believing in me.
Speaker 2: Okay, I like it.
Speaker 3: That's what we're gonna end on. Mike, tell them where they can find you. Hear you all that good stuff.
Speaker 1: You can listen to my podcast, movie Mike's Movie Podcast interviews with actors directors. I do deep dives on things like I just did a big deep dive on a Goofy movie, which is one of my favorite movies as a kid.
Speaker 2: Nice.
Speaker 1: So it's a mix of everything fun.
Speaker 3: Yeah, go check that out. And I have a podcast called Take This Personally. Did a fun episode where we.
Speaker 2: Just talked about all your guys of stuff that you have happening in your guys' lives.
Speaker 3: It was really fun. Well that goes up Monday. Yeah, guys, I don't know my brain's self functioning.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 3: Anyways, go follow the show and subscribe to us on YouTube. Hopefully we can hit half a million in lunchbox Eddie and I can make some money.
Speaker 2: That'd be cool too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Yah, I can do it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I believe in us.
Speaker 3: Bye.
Speaker 2: Everybody.
Speaker 1: That's the best bits of the week with Morgan. Thanks for listening. Be sure to check out the other two parts this weekend. Go follow the show and all social platforms and followed web Girl morgane to some here listener questions for next week's episode.