Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, podcasts, radio News, The.
Speaker 2: Stock Movers Report, your roundup of companies making moves in the stock market, harnessing the power of Bloomberg Data.
Speaker 1: Let's take a look at some starts on the move today in Europe. I'm Stephen Carroll with Caroline Hepker, and we're joined by Bloomberg reporter Chloe Madi Chloy. Good morning. Let's start with Novo Nordisk. This morning, their shares sharply higher. A dose of optimism.
Speaker 3: There was very strong demand for its weight loss pill in the first quarter, and so that means that the sales decline for this year is actually going to be a little bit less severe than was previously expected. So just to give some numbers on this, As of the week that ended on April seventeenth, more than two million prescriptions of that weight loss pill had been issued in the US. So it's really a major success for Novo, and this is very reassuring after a lot of setbacks over the past year or so for the company. It is worth noting that although this does come as a relief, it's a really good performance for the Wigo V pill. There are some challenges ahead and The big one is going to be that Eli Lilly has just launched its own obesity pill just last month, so there is a risk of losing market share to this new drug, and there's also questions as surrounding supply capacity when the pill from Nova actually launches in other countries beyond the US, and that is expected to happen in the second half, So there's some things to iron out, some hurdles ahead, but there's also some relief too, and we can see that reflected in those shares.
Speaker 4: Yeah, amazing, isn't the obesity pill amazing steps forward?
Speaker 3: Well?
Speaker 4: Drink makers are also struggling. Lots of industries are struggling with the repercussions of this really massive change because of drugs like a zempeg Diagio though seems to be bucking the trend. Why.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's pretty good results from Diego. So the cells rose slightly in the quarter, so that was actually much better than what ALYSSA expected, which was expectations of a decline instead, and there was really strong growth in some geography, so Africa and Latin America did particularly well and that was enough to offset some significant weakness in the US. So this actually echoes what we heard from ab and BEV just yesterday with really strong beer demand in Colombia and Mexico and Peru and managing to offset the weakness in the US in China, and so it seems that we have got this trend of lower alcohol consumption which is driven by the uptake of weight loss drugs, as you mentioned, a general kind of health and wellness trend, and it was of course as well the cost of living pressures. But that limited alcohol consumption that's kind of limited now to some geography is not all it seems to be. And the performance in the US was still quite weak. So that is something that will need to be addressed by by management, and that is part of the CEO's plan. He said that some actions will be taken for that. He's also planning on fixing some other issues for the ADUR and things like poor service levels and things like too much focus on premium drinks as well. So now it'll focus more as well on some ready to drink, ready to drink portfolio like canned cocktails, which is something that abn BEV has been doing as well. Actually, so we are seeing things turning around slowly for the.
Speaker 1: Edge Okay, turning then to BMW, shares also higher in BMW this morning, operund six percent at the moment, and this is despite the international competition that the carmaker's facing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, at first glance, so there's actually some weakness for BMW. We're seeing some really intense competition, as you mentioned it in China. There's also the impact of tariffs and those have really hurt the margin. But then orders in Europe were actually stronger than expected of EVS in particular that was particularly strong, and a cash flow was solid to so all of that has allowed BMW to keep its guidance and so that's what investors have decided to focus on this morning, rather than the impact of that competition and of those tariffs, and Alis of called the results reasonable. So it's not groundbreaking, but given that all the challenges that are being faced by carmakers at the moment, the expectations are maybe not so high. But going forward, the risks really remain the same. China is still a big problem given how much market share BMW and those other companies are losing to local manufacturers, and then tariffs to there's still that current threat threat of twenty five percent tariffs unless the E ratifies the current trade deal. So still some issues but reassuring results so far.
Speaker 2: The Stock Movers report from Bloomberg Radio. Check back with us throughout the day for the latest roundup of companies making news on Wall Street and for the latest market moving headlines. Listen to Bloomberg Radio Live, catch us on YouTube, Bloomberg dot com, and on Applecarplay and Android Auto with the Bloomberg Business app.