Speaker 1: Welcome into the Ravens Press Pass Podcast. Today was day three of organized team activities here at the under Armour Performance Center, and after today's practice, we heard from the Ravens coordinators Todd Monkin, Zach Orr, and Chris Horton. First up, we'll start things off with offensive coordinator Todd Monkin.
Speaker 2: All right, I think it.
Speaker 3: Was no I went last year.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I've been on a lot a lot of times and donated, but I've never I haven't been there.
Speaker 3: You know, I'm certainly willing to donate. That's this year.
Speaker 4: Luckily didn't donate, so it felt a lot better. I don't know what it is about winning. It's some about winning makes everything feel better.
Speaker 3: All we got.
Speaker 5: Just here too.
Speaker 2: You know, we talked a little bit about what are some of the scheme changes that you want to make and how you want to see offense to evolve up.
Speaker 3: Well, I think we want to streamline.
Speaker 4: We want to make it better for all of our players, Lamar especially, and streamline it in a way that we become a more consistent offense. And everybody's striving for that. And I thought there was a lot of really good things we did last year, but we can certainly strive to be more consistent. Certainly start faster. We've got to work to start fast. I think that that's inevitable. But year two we should be able to do that.
Speaker 5: It's the first time we've had a chance to talk to you since the PFC Championship game.
Speaker 6: When you look back at that game, do you have.
Speaker 7: Any regrets about the way you guys went offensively?
Speaker 4: You know, obviously, I mean I try not to look back. I appreciate that, but it is what it is. We didn't play well enough, didn't coach well enough, didn't execute at a high level.
Speaker 3: And that starts with me. I mean, that's the way it goes.
Speaker 4: I mean, certainly we could have run the ball better, could execute it better, not turn the ball over.
Speaker 3: But that's what you do.
Speaker 4: The only way you look back is to learn and get better. What didn't we do well? What was the plan we initially went in with? Was it execution or did we not stick with the plan? That's part of it, Just like it would have been, just like it was the week before, just like it was the week before. That just happened to be then, And it's disappointed, But it's on to twenty twenty four to linger.
Speaker 7: On this a moment.
Speaker 6: But I think John said at the time that you know, a lot of folks looked at the rush attempts in the second half. I think there were six, and John said, somewhat dictated by the terms of the game. Is that is that kind of what you see looking back on.
Speaker 3: It, somewhat.
Speaker 4: I mean, if you said, well, the rushing attempts were by the backs, it wasn't just complete. I mean, say, Flowers had a couple and Lamar did. So I'm not trying to justify it, I promise you that I'm not. I'm just saying in general, we needed to run the ball better and we didn't. I mean that's a fact. I mean we didn't. You can't control the game if you can't run the football and then not execute at a high level when it presents itself. And there were moments in the game we did but not enough. And you know, in second half needed to run the ball better. But you know we did give ourselves an opportunity in the second half. That's looking at it that I don't regret because we did give ourselves a chance in the second half. We got down in the red zone, we did move it. But we got to run the ball better, we got to tack him the way we you know, plan to attack him, and I gotta do a better job.
Speaker 3: That's the way it is.
Speaker 4: I mean, that's what I'm paid to do, and that is do it against the best, you know, when it counts. That's that's it. No, it's okay.
Speaker 6: Just how does Derek Henry shift the equation for you? Is there something you look more at in your offense?
Speaker 4: I don't see it that way. I just see another good football player. I mean, Gus had a tremendous year for us, I mean in terms of yards, touchdowns, and we expect the same from Derek. You know, he's a tremendous football player. He's been great. He's been here a whole off season and doesn't really change anything per se because to me, he's a really versatile player. I mean not only running the ball, but get him the ball in space and throwing him the ball and getting him out on the perimeter and see if some of your defensive backs can tackle him. So that's why we're doing this now, that's why we're here out, you know, to work through that and see what we have, cause no one here has worked with him, So now we're just seeing what that is and giving him those opportunities.
Speaker 8: Thought, I know you're saying you don't think you have to change a lot, But Derek, do you in terms of formation wise, do you expect to maybe be more A lot of till it's been how he's been a lot in the A lot of a under center formation. Do you expect to do that.
Speaker 3: A lot more? I mean, we'll see.
Speaker 4: I mean it's uh, we were under centered some this year and we weren't gun some and I expect to be the same, I mean both depending on where we go from here. Do I think that's what they did? Yes, but we're not them, if that makes sense?
Speaker 3: Like, uh, with.
Speaker 4: Having Lamar, is that always advantageous to us to be inner center?
Speaker 3: Probably?
Speaker 9: Not?
Speaker 3: You know, is there something to that? Yes?
Speaker 4: So we'll we'll try to find do the best we can to balance the two, cause you're right, there is a lot of good looks at him playing at the dot, you know, under center.
Speaker 9: Fading out. Eric and John are very excited about getting test Walker. What are your early depressions of him.
Speaker 3: What are your hoops at him?
Speaker 9: What do you think from what you've.
Speaker 3: Seen of this quick learner. Okay, let's start with that.
Speaker 4: So that's impressive, you know, to show up and be able to play multiple spots and it's not just knowing your assignment. But I think he's done a great job of executing a technique that makes sense.
Speaker 3: Because there's nuances with routes.
Speaker 4: It's not just a drawing, there's other nuances with coverage and adjustments these. That was something I wasn't expecting. So that was what I'm excited about. And obviously his speed shows up in his length, so that's been exciting and I would just continue to work with him, and that's what you do with your young players.
Speaker 3: And this is a great time to develop.
Speaker 4: And that's what you love about this time of year is because once you get after a couple of weeks, even in the preseason, it's it's go time.
Speaker 3: Now it's who plays.
Speaker 4: But at this point, how do we develop them our skills and then how do we drill it to get the most out of our players and create the best version of them?
Speaker 8: Do you think as a go ahead at the end of the season, John Harbron talk about you guys have went back to the John for trying to you know, continue to advance this office. How much of this offseason was put into the trying to get them the most out of Isaiah Likely.
Speaker 4: And Mark and Well, everything was going back to the drawing board to say who we want to be moving forward offensively, and that is what you do every year, but even more importantly after your first year, because there's always things you look back and go, all right, we put that in and now that we look at it, hey let's go this direction, let's do this, let's move in these certain directions we want to go. But certainly, you know, with the way Isaiah Likely came on and having Mark Patricard, the white outs we have, we do have tremendous skills. So it's how do we utilize each player in their elite skill set? What is that? How can we utilize that? So that has been a big part of the off season with those guys and how do we get him when and how on the field. That allows us to be very consistent on offense and score touchdowns.
Speaker 3: I mean, that's it.
Speaker 9: Really.
Speaker 5: Do you feel like you guys as a whole need do a better job getting our shot made more involved?
Speaker 10: Oh?
Speaker 7: For sure.
Speaker 4: You know last year was interesting in the fact that, you know, we had Odell and at the beginning, you know, bait Ha missed off season, then he missed some of fall camp, so is he going to be healthy? So put O'Dell at X, you know, and then beginning of their Bateman gets kind of banged up.
Speaker 3: A little bit, so does Odell. So here you are beginning of the year, but you're already in the season.
Speaker 4: So now we certainly could have done a better job of moving them around, for sure. But as the year went on, I mean, our shot really came on and I've seen tremendous growth. But again growth is just because he didn't have an off season last year. In my mind, I didn't see that, but I expect a tremendous year on it, and we certainly could have found a way to give him the ball more. But you know that that's a good thing because last year we did have Mark, then we had Zay Likely, then we've got Jay Flowers and then you've got Odell and after a while and then you're winning games. So you're running the ball. So why does Gus Edwards have all those touchdowns? What are the rushing yards? We're winning games and that's part of it. So when that happens and you have a lot of skill players, it's gonna come that way, like why an Hegymore touches well because he touched it, and why do well Justice did.
Speaker 3: So that's a good problem to have, it really is.
Speaker 4: Or Lamar took off and ran, you know, all those things that are that were lucky to have, and we continue to have great skill players.
Speaker 6: There was a lot of experience up front from last year. And I know you guys rotated in Daniel and Ben a lot last year and obviously had some injuries to some of the guys who've left. But what do you kind of feel like is the biggest gap that you'll you'll need to cover from the guys you lost from last year and how well that that line play last year.
Speaker 4: Well, you're right, we did rotate those guys, which was invaluable experience, you know, because you have game tape, not just preseason tape, but against frontline starters of how they played, and it's easy to show them on tape where they need to improve.
Speaker 3: Where that is. It's not third quarter of the first preseason game.
Speaker 4: It's against the best in the world, and so you do have some tape to go back and look, and again we're in the development business. That's why you draft players, That's why they keep coming up and developing. You know, when you look at the left guard situation here, we end up with I think his name is Powers, who is here and developed and he went on and then you get John Simpson and you develop him and then you feel good enough that they went on to make money somewhere else because you developed them. So that's what we're in the development business right now with Ben, you know, and you've got some of the young guys that we drafted a year ago, you know, like big solid Maurice, and you've got you know, Daniel. All those guys are getting in valuable reps now and obviously once we put the pads on for them where it'll really be critical.
Speaker 3: Right we put the pads on, we get a chance.
Speaker 4: To play in the preseason, and then you have then you can assess, hey, you know, as they keep developing, what are their strengths, what do we need to continue to work on. And they're doing a great job now and I expect them to play a really high level, I really do.
Speaker 11: Are you looking just to follow up on that a little bit, are you looking for maybe more a little more athletic of an offensive line. Of me, you always want physicality, you want to run football, but you know, with more zone, maybe you know the natural progression from what these guys did a couple of years ago offensively to where you are now.
Speaker 3: Oh, I don't know.
Speaker 4: I mean, it's so hard to say that because everybody's looking for the same guys, right, big, smart, physical, athletic like okay, and then at that point when you're drafting, it's like, well, let's just take the best player. Like it's football. If we have to run more gap schemes, we run gaps, run outsides on inside zone. Hey, it's like tight end, like all right, if we don't have this guy, we have that guy. Let's try to fit the pieces where they may. But certainly, would you like to have athletic climban for sure. But when you have like Ben and you have like Daniel, have some bigger guys, well then we might have to run more power, we might have to be more gap schemes and then play to whoever.
Speaker 3: Our strengths are the players that we have.
Speaker 5: With Derek Henry, I mean when he's helping, he's a guy that gets pretty much batt three hundred cars per season. With him getting it in that age at three year, do you think you have to manage his work load or do you kind of expect him to take a jusual for a.
Speaker 4: Way to prove well, I know this, If he carries it three hundred times, we're having a hell of a year.
Speaker 3: I can tell you that.
Speaker 4: It means we're running in a lot, right, It means that's that's we're up in games.
Speaker 3: Right. We want him to finish.
Speaker 4: We want him to be the closer right first and foremost, like every player, we want him to make it through the season.
Speaker 3: It's a long season. Seventeen games.
Speaker 4: You know, you've got a buye weekend there and you know, and then you go from there. So we'll we'll see how that goes. I mean, he's been so durable. But I thought we did a good job last year of rotating the backs. I mean, Gus was powerful, but we split the reps. Now we had Keaton hu k mo On and we had justice in those guys. But I still anticipate the same of you know, using all of our backs, try to put him in the best position to be successful.
Speaker 1: Last one, Tom yesterday Lamar he was to talk to.
Speaker 5: He said he lost way.
Speaker 8: To be more than agile.
Speaker 1: Have you seen that agility?
Speaker 5: Seeing any differences in his movement?
Speaker 8: And how do you think that how can go hist.
Speaker 4: Well, I can't comment maybe to where he was a few years ago and compared to last year. But I always thought he was agile. I always thought he was fast and hard to bring down. So does he look great? Yes, he looks great. You know, has he worked hard? I assumed that he worked hard to get that. I'm sure he didn't go on a hunger strike to lose the twenty pounds, so he's probably worked hard at it, you know, to get to that point. So I'm excited, you know, for him. He's motivated. He looks great. We're all motivated.
Speaker 3: You know. It is what it is.
Speaker 4: I mean, it's it was disappointing, but it's on the twenty twenty four, and you know, I'm jacked. I'm fired up for where we're headed. We've had a great off season and every day we get to come out here with them.
Speaker 3: Guys. Man, it's it's awesome.
Speaker 1: You're listening to Ravens Press Past podcast. You just heard from O. C. Todd Monkin and next up we have new defensive coordinator, Zach Orr.
Speaker 7: How's it going. How y'all doing alrighty man?
Speaker 9: Good players walking by us? How does it feel to be the one speaking?
Speaker 7: That's pretty crazy? It's pretty crazy.
Speaker 12: I mean I used to always, you know, just like you said, as a player, walk through, go to the locker room, exiting the practice fields, and now you know, being up here talking to you guys, you know more frequently, it's it's gonna be fun.
Speaker 7: So I gotta know you're focused on it.
Speaker 11: Exciting to see the incoming name to Dallas.
Speaker 7: As for schedule, that didn't dur oh Man, Yeah, it was exciting. It was exciting. I mean, just just for opportunity for I got a lot of.
Speaker 12: Family and friends who are big Baltimore Ravens fans for the last what ten eleven years, So just an opportunity for those guys to come to the game and get a chance to go back home and see them. I don't get a chance to see a lot of family a lot, especially during the season. So uh, y'alls are definitely excited that it is gonna happen.
Speaker 7: A little early.
Speaker 4: Talking about how a different relationship with your position coaching, y'alls, it helps you think it's a coordinatorship.
Speaker 3: See much transition to coaching this guy.
Speaker 12: Uh, it definitely helps, man. I think I think just the coaching culture that we have here. Man, like every coach coaches everybody. Now obviously when you position coach, you focus on your guys, but I mean we're a family here, so I've always as a linebacker coach.
Speaker 7: I know the D line, the the safeties, the corners, Uh, the offensive guys.
Speaker 12: We all got a great relationship. We move on one accord. So that's definitely easier. Once you have that relationship, they know what type of man you are, what type of coach you are, it's easier for that transition to happen.
Speaker 8: You'll look at the defense and just even terms of the scheme or even term of knowledge. And when you have so many guys lead and some of these guys staying in the division coaches have gone to teams that you guys may have on your schedule. How much do you feel like you have to change and how much can you can you keep this seeing?
Speaker 7: Man, I don't think you have to change the language much at all.
Speaker 12: I mean, like I said, we've been building this system for a long long time.
Speaker 7: I mean since two thousand eighteen.
Speaker 12: And the people that that are that we're here, that are are at other places, they'll tell they'll tell you it's like the the game plan gonna change week to week. So based off what you do is basically how we're gonna play you. So I don't really think that's a advantage or something something that we think about a lot.
Speaker 7: We just gonna do what we do and uh play how we play?
Speaker 2: Is that with the play calling? How how comfortable do you feel a few practices in now call and plays and and how did you practice before practices started.
Speaker 13: At cong plays?
Speaker 12: Uh, it's it's it's a it taking the day by day, you definitely get more comfortable.
Speaker 7: I think coach does a great job. Coach Harbor does a great job.
Speaker 12: Of putting us in these game like situations, even as play callers and as coaches. I mean we always d do move the ball, we do st uh call it periods where there is no script. You have to call it and you have to think on the fly and use your your play calling sheet and uh just how I prepare, Man, just go back and when I'm watching, when I'm watching the film or watching games from last year, just looking how I would call it, looking at the situation, trying to put myself in those shoes, and then just before practice, just reviewing my play call sheet and just trying to play out scenarios in my head that could possibly come up.
Speaker 6: Do you remember as a player, if you ever got a play call from your coordinator and you're like, man, I wish I could well play right now.
Speaker 7: Definitely.
Speaker 12: I mean, when you're a player, you think that you know a lot of times, you think you got all the answers.
Speaker 7: You're like, man, we could do this, we could do that. But when you when you step back and you.
Speaker 12: Become a coach and you become a play caller, you kind of see the bigger picture of things. You're not just thinking about just your one particular area or position that you're playing. You take a step back and think about the whole game.
Speaker 6: Kyle Hamilton, he was the first team All Pro year ago.
Speaker 5: He did so many things.
Speaker 10: What is his next step? Do you have him do more?
Speaker 7: Do you have him more deep this year?
Speaker 10: How do you deploy him?
Speaker 7: I mean, man, Kyle Hamilton the ultimate chess piece.
Speaker 9: Man.
Speaker 7: I think he's one of the top players in the league.
Speaker 12: My goal for him is to, you know, one day win a defensive MVP here the league.
Speaker 7: I think he's that type.
Speaker 12: Of talent, he has that type of work ethic, he's that type of person, and like I said, the thing about him being the ultimate chess piece, depending on what the offense does, he could play it anywhere.
Speaker 7: He could play safety, deep safety, box safety.
Speaker 12: He could play corner, he could play nickel, he could play backer. He can even play outside linebacker two and you guys know he could rust the passers. So the thing that you appreciate about Kyle Hamilton is is.
Speaker 7: He works at it.
Speaker 12: He's a smart player, so he can handle all the different volume that you get him. And I think he's eager going into a third year to do more.
Speaker 7: So we'll see with.
Speaker 11: That in mind, identifying a number three or a third safety to go with Zach or with Kyle and with Marcus Williams that you can deploy Kyle in different ways. Is that a priority for you right now in terms of your internal options, senor who can maybe emerge to replace that Gino Stone role in the very.
Speaker 7: Least, Yeah, for sure.
Speaker 12: I mean, obviously, with Kyle being the ultimate chess piece, like the third safety position is important. I feel like we've got some great in house candidates that are working their.
Speaker 7: Butts off since day one. Man, So we're excited.
Speaker 12: They had a good first three days of practice and so we're excited to see where it goes.
Speaker 7: But yeah, that that that position is important.
Speaker 6: Exactly the first four weeks of schedule we got mahomes Prescott. Now on how does that feel, as you know, first year coordinator, are you sort of does it just kind of like make you alert? How do you feel going into that part of the schedule.
Speaker 12: Man, It was funny because coach was talking about this the other day and he said, everybody in this league is good and if you're not, if you're not prepared and you're not doing things the right way, you'll get what you'll lose and get your butt kicked.
Speaker 7: By anybody in this league.
Speaker 12: So yeah, you respect that, You respect the guys, well, understand respect the team, the quarterbacks, the coordinators that we're going to.
Speaker 7: Face as the defense. But we honestly.
Speaker 12: Believe if we prepare the right way, we do, we play how we're supposed to play, it's not gonna really matter, you know, who we're playing or when we're playing them.
Speaker 2: There's a number of former NFL linebackers who went on to the great coaches, right get Ryan Rabel, John Tenny of Fears. What is it do you take any inspiration and tips and what is.
Speaker 13: It about being a NFL linebackers that helps.
Speaker 2: You g you didn't coach.
Speaker 12: I definitely take uh inspiration from that just playing a position. I mean all those guys you named, uh, Demiko Ryans, Mike Vrabel, Tonio Pierce, those guys are great players. I grew up watching those guys, and I just think the linebacker position, you're in the middle of the defense. You have to be able to understand what's going on up front, understand what's going on behind you, understand what's going on beside you, in the run game and in the past game. So you have to be you and all those meetings they say run game meeting linebackers in there, we say past game beating linebackers in there. Okay, protection meeting, blitz meeting linebackers in there. So you everywhere you gotta you have to have a grasp with the whole.
Speaker 7: Defense and how it fits together. Because you're in the middle of it. You have to execute a.
Speaker 12: Lot of jobs, and uh, you also have to get everybody lined up, because what people wanna know the call, the people wanna know where they're, where they gotta go. They gonna look at you just like how they look at Rocn Smith.
Speaker 13: Now kind of.
Speaker 9: Going off of that Rocn canon to governership with the defense pretty much just to use the came here. Now that you're out here with players, how much easier as are things that you already have that relationship with them, as he has that.
Speaker 7: Connection with the attorney.
Speaker 12: Man, it's good, I mean, being Roll, we built a great relationship since he since he got here, we continue to build on it.
Speaker 7: I know he knows how role, I know how he rolled.
Speaker 12: We're comfortable talking to each other, sharing ideas, sharing thoughts with one another. We respect one another, and so it's easier man, for real. And when you have a guy like Rokwan Smith in your building, like like everybody has preached time and time again, I mean, he's one of the best players in the league, one of the best humans walking his earth. And then when you have one of your best players being one of your best workers, I mean, everybody else looks at that and gets inspired, not just players, just coaches and everybody in the building.
Speaker 7: So you know, him being him, still being here is a blessing for all.
Speaker 2: Of us the last few years on the sideline. You know, you're a really animated, passionate coach and just looking at you two practices. It's a little bit different when you're the coordinator.
Speaker 13: Was that a conscious decision or what?
Speaker 9: Yeah?
Speaker 12: I got I gotta calm myself down a little bit because you know, now after the play, I celebrate. Now I gotta get ready to get the next call. I can't celebrate too hard that like previous years. I'm just listening waiting to hear the call. But now everybody's looking at me like, what's the call?
Speaker 3: What's the call?
Speaker 7: So I got to have to keep it, you know, mild tone. Now.
Speaker 12: I'm still gonna express my excitement when when the time is right, but I definitely have to be aware of that because things get moving quick and you have to be you have to be planning ahead. Or you got the call, what's the what's the next call? You're thinking, Okay, what's the down? Just what situation? What have you done before? What do you what do you want to do next? So you definitely have to be more conscious so it won't be as much animations on the sideline as as previous.
Speaker 7: But you know, it's it's all good.
Speaker 6: Was like to forget for Wes' that's your introductive presser.
Speaker 8: But do you have an idea where you'll be calm plays.
Speaker 5: During the season.
Speaker 7: H Yeah, I'm gonna be on the sideline, be on the sideline.
Speaker 13: Trent Simpson is a player that you know young is now stepping in for a big role from one point you had to do something similar to that. Just what are your first impressions of him and what's it been like coaching and working.
Speaker 12: On Man, It's been great, man. Trent been great since day one and nothing has changed. Like the thing I loved about Trent when he first got here, and we kind of knew talking you know to the people at Clemson and people close to him through the draft process, that this dude's a hard worker, he's competitive, he's gonna do whatever he needs to do to get continue to get better every single day.
Speaker 7: And he did that. Man, even last year when.
Speaker 12: He knew the situation he was in probably won't gonna play a lot, uh.
Speaker 7: Which he didn't. He came in every day, every day prepared like a starter. All right.
Speaker 12: So now you look at the situation where he's in a role now where he got a chance to compete for the starting job. Man, he's even working even harder, which is which is crazy because he was already going one hundred percent. So I've been really impressed with him. He's looked good these first three days. He's been here the whole offseason program. You know, you could tell you could see the difference in him. Guys like him, Tavius Robinson, Malie Ham, all these second year players that you know from their rookie year. They they starting to take that jump, which is exciting to see as a coach.
Speaker 5: Whether it's guys you've played with, guys you played under, or guys.
Speaker 7: You coached with him.
Speaker 5: You've reached out to any of your former defensive coordinators to pick their brain a little bit about kind of making the jump and play calling and and just kind of how they break down their week.
Speaker 3: And all that.
Speaker 7: Not n not necessarily.
Speaker 12: I mean, we've had those conversations before. Honestly, we haven't really had much time really just sit down. Now, some of the casual conversations have happened maybe at like the combine, but not nothing too in depth.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 12: Like I said, I think the good thing about it is is just relationship that we've had that I've had with obviously Mike McDonald uh wink when he was here when I was working, and even DMPs I got a inside look or see like how they broke the game down all in all in their own different way, you know, how they saw the game, how they thought about calling it an and and the how they broke down their call sheet. So just took those nuggets from those guys and try to mix it in with with my thoughts, Cause what's been.
Speaker 8: Your observations of made now that you had an opportunity.
Speaker 2: To work with him a little bit.
Speaker 12: Man, I'm excited about Nate man. Nate's Nate's a hard worker. He's great in the classroom. He's a real smart football player. And then the athletic ability speaks for itself. Like obviously he's still young, he still got a lot to learn and a lot to work on. But if he continues to work hard like how he's working in the classroom around the field, I'm really excited about what he's gonna.
Speaker 7: Be able to do for us this year.
Speaker 1: That was defensive coordinator Zach Orr after today's third OTA practice. Last up today we have Special Teams coordinator Chris Horton.
Speaker 10: Good to see you guys today.
Speaker 14: Man, I'll tell you what, Man, it's exciting being back up here. We've had three really good days of OTAs with our with our veteran guys and our young guys, and really, guys, we're just getting back into the swing of this thing.
Speaker 10: We're just you know, we're we're figuring out some new things.
Speaker 14: Obviously with the kickoff and kickoff return, and then we're trying to really just evaluate our players, uh, the rookies and then our veteran guys. I use this time as a lot of just skills and drills, uh, to set the foundation for when we move further down the line.
Speaker 10: Can do a couple more things.
Speaker 5: Questions, do you have to do more reps with kickoffs and stuff and you normally do in a uh practice, Just kind of get used to it because it's a new play.
Speaker 10: Uh yeah.
Speaker 14: I think the the way the play is set up, honestly, when they when they designed it, they've taken out a lot of the running right from from from the thirty five yard line. So it honestly allows you to get more reps. Uh, and then you get an idea of kind of what the play, what the play looks like. I mean, you're really excellent guys to run anywhere from twenty to twenty five yards, you know, before they actually make contact with a returner. So those are some things that we're still we're still figuring out and you guys know us and then we're gonna we're gonna practice fast, and the more reps we can get of the play, the more understanding we get of you know, how we're gonna build this thing and kind of how we're gonna put it together.
Speaker 5: Is it kind of a game changer?
Speaker 2: I mean, do you do you in a way start from scratch and devising how you wanna.
Speaker 7: To play it?
Speaker 9: It? It?
Speaker 10: It really is.
Speaker 14: You know, it's a it's a it's something new to our league and uh, and I talked to the players about this, is we're gonna build this thing together because we don't we don't really know what it's gonna look like.
Speaker 10: We've seen video from the XFL and we understand what that looks like, but.
Speaker 14: We actually gotta get out here and we gotta practice it ourselves to kind of see what those angles look like and see what we can run and what we can't run. So as we go through it, man, this off season, we're gonna be putting stuff in, We're gonna be taking stuff out, and then and then when it's all said and done, it's put together. I do believe it's gonna be an exciting play and hopefully we're on then we're on the exciting end of it having a lot of success.
Speaker 6: Do you see the similarities to it being like a one play in ways?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 9: I do.
Speaker 10: I see the I could see that.
Speaker 14: You know, it is a lot of close quarters, uh combat type type things.
Speaker 10: But I think all in all the play is.
Speaker 14: Set up, it's still gonna be a you know, it's still gonna be a physical play. It's still gonna be a guy whooping the guy's butt across from him right and getting to the football. So I do see that being able. You know, like, are we hitting more downhill? You know, honestly, we don't. We don't know yet, but we're gonna practice a lot of different things this offseason and into training camp.
Speaker 6: Oh, I was gonna say, it sounds like you're still experimenting. But based on the film you've seen, is there sort of a standard school of thought for for how this play should operate or is it still very in an experimental stage where nobody has a best practice.
Speaker 14: I think it's I think it's still kind of a kind of an experiment because you know, you really, you really don't know what you're getting until you get out there and you actually you put the guys in those situations. Right, Yesterday was the first time we're able to get eleven on eleven just because of the way the rules are set up, right, so we could work all the drills in the football schools and the kickoff coverage drills, But until you can get eleven guys out there against eleven on eleven and really see and fill the play and being out there, and then you ask the players, right, uh, how do how do you feel?
Speaker 10: How does that feel? If we want you to do this? Can you do that? And they're like, ah, coach, well, then we keep working those things.
Speaker 9: Good new kickoff rules.
Speaker 8: I know.
Speaker 6: Jump.
Speaker 9: We'll ask a ton of questions, what was what were the conversations like during that time between you two and how much has you been jumping in.
Speaker 8: Now that you guys are work shopping stuff.
Speaker 14: Uh, you know, I th I think the the conversations once we once we realized this thing was it was gonna it was gonna happen. And I and I think as the as the year went on last year, uh, it was more. Man, it was like, we need to make this play exciting again. And uh and and there's there's ways of just looking at how this play is gonna uh evolve. There's ways that make the play exciting and get the r the ball in your returner's hands and let those guys work. But you know, our conversations were we gotta we just gotta adjust, and we gotta adapt to whatever the standards are and whatever the rules are gonna be. Because uh or now I know our guys are feel pretty good about Man, we get the cover kicks, we get to return the ball again.
Speaker 10: Those are some things that were lost over the last couple of years.
Speaker 5: Chris, We've do you feel like it's more might be more conducive covering kicks for linebackers or dbs like smaller DB's. It's a different body type. You kind of have to emphasize now on on on kick coverage.
Speaker 14: Yeah, I think the Jeff, the guys that originally you wouldn't probably necessarily put out there because of the long speed running. Uh you know that stuff's that stuff's kind of dead now, right, It's it's a little bit closer. So again we're asking guys to really that's like, when you think about it's like almost like a defense and offensive play.
Speaker 10: Right. They're in there within five yards apart from each other, So I could see us. I could see us using.
Speaker 14: Them more of a lot of our bigger outside linebackers on this face, because they're good with hand to hand combat.
Speaker 10: They're physical players.
Speaker 14: So we're gonna again, we're gonna experiment with all these different things as we move forward this offseason.
Speaker 6: The wisdom time candidates for that spot that's with return experience or.
Speaker 7: Put their recent surprise, guys who.
Speaker 13: Have that open field ability that maybe wouldn't want to associate.
Speaker 14: With that that's by I think we'll see the same guys that return in this league. Obviously, it's gonna be first and foremost many you guys I talk about all the time, like ball security and great decisions. But I do think it's gonna be you know, some teams are gonna only have. I mean, at the end of the day, we're only gonna get where we can get personnel wise.
Speaker 10: Right throughout the league.
Speaker 14: And so whoever that whoever that player is, and how we feel about him returning the ball, I think our schemes will match that returner skill set, just like we've done in the past.
Speaker 10: I can't I could almost guarantee those those guys. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 11: Along those lines, You guys did bring in Hardy Hardy this offseason. We haven't seen him this week, but what did you like about him and what do you think he can bring? Especially no one replacing Dubernet back there.
Speaker 10: You know, I think this guy, man, he's a he's electric.
Speaker 9: Right.
Speaker 14: Uh, he's he's been a he's been a Pro Bowl player, he's been an All Pro player. And uh, when he was sitting there and his name came up, it's just like, oh man, this is like we lost we lost our guy. We need a guy to fill this, to fill these shoes, a guy with some experience. You'd like to have a guy with some experience, so you're not really relying on young guys, especially in the punt return game, right, And then it just allows us to do a little bit more back there.
Speaker 10: I'm excited about him. I know, the coaches are, the players.
Speaker 14: Are you know when I talk to the guy, some of the veteran guys like, hey, we got we got Hardy coming in and you know those guys.
Speaker 10: The guy from the Saints, the guy should be in the Saint cycle.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 14: Man, that's a little returner from the Saints. And so he's a he's a well known respective returner in this league and we love him.
Speaker 10: Chris.
Speaker 6: I mean, obviously these new rules have given you a lot of work to do, but in some ways, does it feel just like, man, my job has more value. I'm actually scheming how to get yards, not just to kneel down out of some of these plays.
Speaker 10: That's it's that's funny. I mean, it's like it's a play we get the coach, right, uh.
Speaker 14: I think that, Like we spent a lot of time out here on Wednesday's working kickoff return and I'm screaming.
Speaker 10: And then you get in the game and.
Speaker 14: Then the fair catch rules in right, or the the bass have kicked in the end zone and there's not being returned.
Speaker 10: So you come back in the meeting and you're grade in seventh place.
Speaker 14: Four punts and three part returns, and you're just like, man, I really want to coach this face.
Speaker 10: So it does give us a little bit more life.
Speaker 14: And I think our players, our players want more football, right and our players, our players, I said this last year. Man, our players live for covering kicks. And I think we'll cover kicks and we'll return kicks and we'll be we'll be pretty good at But I am fired up.
Speaker 9: Man.
Speaker 10: I told these guys that I was walking up. If you don't adapt, you die. So I love my job. I love coaching special teams. So I want to make sure we keep this going.
Speaker 13: There's a guy that pulls. Harbaugh and Across said they wanted to fly around on special teams with Sinuessa Kine. Just what are your first impressions of him?
Speaker 7: What have you seen?
Speaker 3: How good?
Speaker 9: Uh?
Speaker 10: Just a just a young guy right now.
Speaker 14: Uh, you know, just trying to figure out our trying to figure out our process.
Speaker 9: Right.
Speaker 14: We do a lot, We demand a lot. The standard is high. And uh, he's he's working his way, just like just like a lot of these young guys. He's drafted players, undrafted players. Man, they're just trying to find their role and then uh, they sit down on us and we kind of help them identify. Okay, here's where you're gonna play, here's what we need to see from you. Uh, and and let's get this done. But I love his mindset. He is a guy that's very ten of the meetings. That's the one thing I can tell you about this whole rookie class. And these guys are they're active in meetings, they communicate, and then when they come on the field, you see those things displayed.
Speaker 10: So I'm excited for you have loss conversations.
Speaker 9: With Justin Tucker after your kickoff with his reactions.
Speaker 14: We're we're still going through that process with with Justin, you know. And then as we get into our our kickoff, our kickoff part of it, which we'll start again next week. Well, you know, we'll just keep talking and trying to do a bunch of different things. See what benefits him. He's a skilled kicker, right, So I think kickers with skill will be able to place the ball in certain spots and maybe give you an advantage.
Speaker 10: So we're gonna be working on those things.
Speaker 1: That's all we have from today's press conferences. As the first week of OTA practices comes to an end. Thank you for listening to Raven's Press Past podcast, and don't forget to rate and subscribe to all of your favorite Ravens podcasts. Have a great holiday weekend, and we'll be back with you next week