Speaker 1: What's up?
Speaker 2: You're off in God's Country with Breed and also known as The Brothers Hunt, where we take a weekly drive to the intersection of country music and the outdoors, two things that go together like Mexico and or two things.
Speaker 1: That go together like Carbos.
Speaker 2: Produced by Meat Eater and iHeart podcast.
Speaker 3: So hop on up Rod Shotgun with us as we take the back roads with some of today's biggest stars and creators of the songs you know and love.
Speaker 2: We're gonna sit down with Dustin Lynch today, a fellow Tennesseean YEP told.
Speaker 3: Gold platinum and multi platinum certified singles.
Speaker 2: Yeah, had nine number one something like that. Land manager. He's got a farm. We're gonna talk about that. We're gonna talk about him as an outdoors and he loves to hunt, loves to fish.
Speaker 1: I was literally gonna say that.
Speaker 2: That's that's what we're gonna talk That's what.
Speaker 1: We're gonna talk about. So, how y'all hang with us?
Speaker 2: Thanks for hanging out with us in God's Country. Do it feel like we're all feeling good this morning?
Speaker 4: Feeling great? Yeah?
Speaker 1: With coffee? Do you guys?
Speaker 2: Is this your podcast? I'm with it?
Speaker 4: Go for it. No, well, you're just messing coffee. And Dan grabbed his and it was just it was just like, do you have to throttle your coffee intake every morning? Like me, Yeah, I feel like I feel like I don't know, I'm right. I switch up bags of beans so they react differently, and so every now and again you're like, man, I've had too much. I've had too I feel like I'm dialed in. Though I was worried about being stripping a podcast, Okay, go ahead, Sorry, I'm just saying I was worried about being too jittery for a podcast, and I think I'm I think I know my mixed What cup is that?
Speaker 1: This is?
Speaker 4: Uh two?
Speaker 2: Okay? And how do you do it? Are you a pour over guy? Are you like a what are those things called the.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I've just got a regular coffee pot.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I liked that about you too. Yeah, I'm with that house. I got jittery yesterday because because we, I mean we got back at like one o'clock from that duck hunt. I had a cup of coffee at the house and then got here out smash smashed a couple of coffees here. I got to Sony.
Speaker 3: Jumps feels like this. This is I can't even I appreciate the juice.
Speaker 1: I got plenty, man, I got plenty.
Speaker 2: Yeah, don't move that too fast. I got to Sony yesterday before our co write drink another one, and dude, I got in the I got in the room sitting there and Dan and him are talking and like, I don't like I don't drink enough coffee to do that. But I got weird, got weird. I was like, bro, what this like? I had to sit down, like take a couple of deep breath and you know, walk outside like drink. Yeah, I was, I was.
Speaker 4: I think it's a sign of getting old. Is uh? You enjoy like coffee is my favorite with the time of day, with that straight is it straight?
Speaker 1: Favorite time I don't have.
Speaker 4: I mean you guys have kids running around. I'm sure in the morning. I don't. So I'm just like a peaceful yeah black straight black, just a piece, will like get catch up on emails.
Speaker 2: Zero piece, there's zero pit. You got to have peace at our house. We have peace. We put our kids down at seven. We don't even talk for this is my wife.
Speaker 1: By way.
Speaker 2: I don't know if you knew that I didn't know that. Uh, you know, just not my roommates. But we don't talk for about an hour and a half. We just kind of chill and then you know, we start conversing after an hour and a half of silence. But you got to get up at five o'clock if you're going to have any piece at all. At seven, it's Mama, Dad dad booey booeye. Wait, let's go back to the coffee beans thing. You said you mix them up, Yeah, like like flavor wise from different different.
Speaker 4: Yeah, as much as I travel, like come across the coffee shop and you're like, oh, let's try these from wherever?
Speaker 2: What's your favorite? What's your favorite?
Speaker 4: Because I want, like I will say honestly what I'm ha And right now. I had a buddy that went on a mission trip. He does it every year down at Guatemala. It's awesome and they're like super small batch coffee farms down there, and he gifted me, just surprised me with a package and it had a bag of the beans from the farm he was there helping out, and uh, his favorite cigar that he came across down and then a bottle of wine and he was like three of my favorite things. This goes good with you know whatever in the morning. This goes good with uh friend cool and yeah, so that's what I'm drinking right now. It's dang good. That's off the line.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's awesome.
Speaker 4: Fahome from tell them at Tennessee. Yeah, and that ain't far, No, it's not. It's not far at all. I mean, but growing up, we wouldn't really ever get up here. We'd come up here for Christmas shopping.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Sometimes we did the same thing you come to Opera Lamb.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we used to do its working West, Like you know, the mom would come up here and get a mammogram or whatever right with her.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: The big doctor appointments were always in Nashville. Yeah, the kids you make a day.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: But I remember when Opery Lamb was where the mall is, like the theme park theme park.
Speaker 4: Yeah, actually went by there yesterday. I got to him all right, and I'm like, I'm gonna go bast right and mind a while. And it hit me. I'm like wow, because I hated it when they whenever they shut down the theme park. Yeah, for a mall, Like, we've got plenty of malls.
Speaker 1: What do you all do?
Speaker 4: But yesterday at you know, three pm, there's a thousand cars in the parking lot shops. Somebody knew what they were doing.
Speaker 1: So people are still going to malls.
Speaker 4: Oh man, that places passed.
Speaker 3: I figured it was Amazon Central, Man, I figured that all those guys were hurting.
Speaker 2: But it's not Can you do that? Can you rock around town and not get like too bothered?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think in a beauty of like the cowboy hat. Yeah, yeah, you know, I still uh you on social media. I think you're around. You know, I'm seeing them walk out most of the time on social media. But yeah, I still think, you know, just from years of people thinking I'm always in a cowboy hat, I can, man.
Speaker 2: I'm in that that dynamic because because I was I'm not even talking about that, I'm saying I was kind of hoping you were going to be in a cowboy hat today because I'm the first cowboy hat in here. Really, yeah, we hadn't had a cowboy hat. It's all good, like.
Speaker 3: You would just rake like occasionally be like I thow it on today and wear a cowboy hat do in the day.
Speaker 4: Not usually, No, it just doesn't like for what I do, it doesn't make sense. Like if I'm home usually and I have the day off, I'm working on the farm.
Speaker 1: See wait a second.
Speaker 3: I personally think if you have a farm, it qualifies you to occasionally, you know, maybe wear cowboy hat during I don't think that's fake, right, Like I think we need to come up with a definition of who can wear cowboy hats during the day and who can't. You have a farm, I think you're in I don't think we look out of place at all.
Speaker 2: But it's just like we'd all be like I got I've got a cowboy hat, and when I put it on, it look like rip, except like the version of rip from Yellow Stuff. I wear it one time in Jackson Holt Rodeo and felt legit as hell.
Speaker 1: But I'm not.
Speaker 2: I'm not a cowboy bro.
Speaker 4: It's amazing. What how a cowboy hat makes you feel? It always like when I put it on, I don't know.
Speaker 2: And boots, like the cowboy hat and boots, you're yeah, I.
Speaker 4: Just always you know, for me, I put it on and it's like it's time to go. But only that's like have fun, you know, get man, I think it's great. Yeah, I mean when I come home though, like I'm working on the tractor. My hat's I got a pretty big lid, so like it gets in the way. Man, Like, what's your number? Seven and three eights?
Speaker 2: That's not that I'm seven five days, bro, already mellon basketball.
Speaker 4: You got a little bigger than mine.
Speaker 2: Jordan got me a new tobogg and she was like, hey, I'm thinking about just like I just we'll just put it on it cause I put it on his way too tight. And she was like, just put it on a basketball for a couple of days. And then to get smart, bro, I have done like a baseball glove. You used to do that. All it up and yeah, what was it?
Speaker 1: Put in the all it up?
Speaker 3: Put two tennis balls in it, two baseballs, belts around it?
Speaker 1: Yeah, strapping down? Stick it under your bed for a few months.
Speaker 4: You got to be under the bed.
Speaker 1: Yeah did you put yours on the bed? Why does it have to.
Speaker 4: Be on the passed down from the granddad?
Speaker 1: So that's crazy.
Speaker 3: I mean that's exactly where we put our. We always sensed it down, stuck it under the bed.
Speaker 2: I was when I was doing my research, which probably Dan didn't do. I was looking at your instagram and uh, I saw a thing that said my kind of sunset. And I watched this video of you working on the farm, songs, going down, playing with your dog, throwing the thing, grilling some burgers. Is that, like, is that what you do when your time off?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 4: Yeah? Is that?
Speaker 2: Is that?
Speaker 1: Is that?
Speaker 2: Is that plugging in and recharging for you?
Speaker 4: It is? And and you know, I searched. It took me a while to like search around and figure out how to find balance because you jump into to roaming around. I know, you got to spend a lot of time on the road, you know, writing songs too. But that's not normal, right, It's it's overloaded, sensory overload. And as many people as we get to meet, it's awesome, but it's it's not normal. And so you come home and have this few days. And I was living for a few years. I was living at a condo downtown in Nashville before it became Nashville. It was like the only condo you could have down there. We'd have a grocery store or nothing. And it was terrible. After a few years, I'm like, I don't feel right, and it just felt like I was in another hotel. I never got to turn off, and so I moved out outside of town and I finally found peace, you know, getting back into the country and and just having something to grasp onto and and recharge with and and now you know, fast forward to have the farm out out there outside of town about an hour and it's the best.
Speaker 2: I was telling Pat in the in the parking lot. We uh, when we moved to town, my dad moved his house book from where we grew up to Percy priest Elm hill Marena and that's where we lived for four years. And that's awesome.
Speaker 1: And dude, I know that. Yeah, it's catching. We talk about it all the time.
Speaker 2: I know people guests, Yeah, that is we were catching dinner and I mean, you know, doing that whole thing. And Dan got a publishing deal with a little startup and had a lot of money. They're like, man, we got to sit flat downtown in the Bristol it's right above Losers And we were like, yeah, dude, let's do it.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, working plumbing, Like we're in.
Speaker 2: A washing machine for our clothes as from Virginia's.
Speaker 1: We can buy sandwiches and ceareheads all.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So we moved in for six months and after six months we were like, man, I think we're going we kick it back at the back. Well, it's just it was so sireny century overload.
Speaker 1: And I mean, it's what you're talking about. It. It was just.
Speaker 3: It's like your brain never turns off. But when you're used to, like if you're from Tellahoma, you're from West Tennessee where we're from, Like this ain't normal for us, you know, And as much as you try to fit yourself into that thing, it's like, man, I need some crickets, you know. And I mean that's what I fall asleep to, not not drunk people trying to get home from losers.
Speaker 4: And like you said, sirens, Yeah, every minutes.
Speaker 3: Every five seconds felt and hell that was what eight years ago, like a ten years ago maybe. I mean, it's I'm sure it's way.
Speaker 4: And I've always wondered what it's like living arena.
Speaker 2: It's awesome. It's awesome till it's not awesome. It's awesome until.
Speaker 1: You're until it's just like the worst.
Speaker 2: But we had like we had wife. They got WiFi out there, but you.
Speaker 3: Can't technically live so we didn't live a rena, right. We just visited three hundred and sixty three days here, you got it.
Speaker 2: We couldn't afford anywhere else.
Speaker 4: It seems like I think I spent a lot of time on the water. I love it. And that was the first one I moved out of downtown. I didn't mention I moved to Old Hickory Lake. Come on, I got a house out there and had a dock and everything. And I don't know, there's just as it seems like a different walk of people that are attracted to that lake life, and for you guys, obviously Marina life even more so. You know, when I'm in Marina's on a whole deckree, it feels a little bit like the Keys. Yeah, there's a little sense of pirate Yeah, for sure, all of those people. I know exactly where it's ak and I know for a fact there's people on Old Hickory Lake that are living there full time. Yeah, I mean you can just tell.
Speaker 2: Oh, dude, there were there were visit visiting, visiting. We would step out on the back and you know, pee off the back porch and or about the back of the boat. I said, the back porch as we call it the back porch. But I mean, dudes, there would be like four or five dudes doing the same thing on Like those cats live there too, Yeah.
Speaker 4: Sure, Like he's like, couldn't get enough Christmas lights? Yeah, yeah, you know they've got it all decked out, music playing.
Speaker 3: I mean it's a flooding trailer park, that's really all it is. Yeah, you just get expensive though.
Speaker 1: Well we're proud of them now. Yeah.
Speaker 4: I've looked at getting a slip and I'm like, might just stay in the driveway, dude.
Speaker 1: For us, it was like three hundred a month. We split it.
Speaker 4: That's not mad at all.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so we just that was cheaper than rent, you know, and boat was paid off. Yes, we just kind of just kind of hung out.
Speaker 4: Do you guys still house boat the enjoyed?
Speaker 1: Is that? Are you over it? Yeah?
Speaker 2: We just I mean full up, full up to Yeah. But I mean we don't have enough time, you know, with kids and stuff. But did every chance I get to get on the water. I mean I'm on the water. You know. I love bass fishing. And I was going to ask you, did you do a lot of old like fishing and old heckory I did.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I was obsessed with you know until I got my farm and then that just became crazy to do list a lot of chores. I was avid, like so much, so I would get you know, get on the bus and I would nerd out on NAVI ONYX. Come on, so I don't even have to look at a depth finder because I know I know that lakes so well. Some studying those maps constantly, I can kind of tell you where everything is.
Speaker 2: I fished a I fished as a co angler in one of those like bass Master series or whatever it was, and it was like one of the first terms I ever fished, and it was on Old Hickory and we grew up close to Pickwick and kind of the same style like boat docks, secondary points, you know, in the summer you fish ledges, and so this is like June, and I called the angler of the boat I was gonna be riding in and I was like, hey, man, what do you want me to bring you and bring some you know, drop shots Carolina riggs. We're gonna be doing them. And he was like, no, man, He's like, just bring a flipping bowl. And I was like, it's middle of summer. He's like, just just bring a couple of you know, flipping flipping rods. I was like, all right, So we get in that morning, and did we run twenty miles up the combery and back there into those some of those a's and those log jams yep? And bro he homemade made his jigs and gave me a few of them, and did we pulled them out of them logs all day? He won the tournament. I boated an eight and like eight three for him out of the river, and dude, it was It's the only time I fished old hickory like that. But gosh, it was awesome.
Speaker 4: I've done the same thing. I got in with the guy and we ran way up there. Yeah, and hell, I think it took us an hour and a half or so.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was about a forty five minute ride for us.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and we got way up in it and we missed a couple that could have got us up up in the money. But yeah, he was throwing a frog too up in there. Really Yeah, top water Yep. There ain't no better buiting than that, right, I know, it was really cool, But yeah, there's something about those guys that can custom this is this is an old cat like he was. He was traditional like the fish. Haven't ever seen it? Yeah, their own colored and uh.
Speaker 2: The hook sets not unbelievable. He's not ripping, he's just he's like, hey, grabbing that and I'm like okay, And then there's an eight pound and that's it. There.
Speaker 4: God, what's the biggest match you've ever caught?
Speaker 2: I mean in open water around seven in Pickwick, but in a pond, you know, eight I've got We've got where we live. We've got a twenty acre lake behind our house in the community and literally there's there's a bunch of houses back there and it's a private lake to the communit and me, my dad and dad are the only one that fishing. We when we moved in the day we were moving in the next day the next you have.
Speaker 1: To live there in order to fish, ye, which is really convenient for us.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that is awesome. The day we moved in, we were exhausted from moving furniture all day. And that next morning, like six thirty, my dad calls me and wakes me up, and I rolled over. I grabbed my phone and I'm like, well, He's like, hey, it's wide awake. And I was like what he what? I was this six thirty that I'm exhausted. He was like I'm here. I was like, bro, we ain't getting started till like ten. He was like, no, no, no, I want to go check out. And I looked out the window and he had his bass photo and he stopped voting and he yeah, well, yeah, not a big motor. You can just troll the motor. But dude, he's been ripping brim and crappy and BASSI that thing ever since. And so it's it's super convenient. He's caught a seven and a half out of there. I know of some eights that have been caught out of there, and it's big enough and deep enough to grow and hold a you know, ten twelve, a big one. So it's not when you can go back there and catch fifty fish a day, like you got to go look for him, and I just find the pattern and stuff. So it's it's fun.
Speaker 1: I want to everybody, farm man, tell me what you what you got where you're at.
Speaker 4: I'm northeast of Nashville, got about an hour from downtown, and it was one of those I grew up always looking for permission to hunt same and then moved up here to Nashville out of high school and just the permission farms kind of went away.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's weird that that's been happening.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: We kind of talked to Ronelle about it the other day, like I did. I did the same thing. I bought a farm and we were talking about allowing people to hunt, and he was like, you know, you let people hunt.
Speaker 1: I was like, oh dude, yeah, what are you talking about.
Speaker 2: It kind of blew him away and he was like what And I get that Western thing too.
Speaker 1: I was like, man, like I worked.
Speaker 3: I want to secure a place for my kids and my brother and his kids and my dad. Like, ain't nobody else coming on, you know, because I'm letting deer go and trying to suw.
Speaker 1: Deer and you know, you can't do anything. It's like, what about like wounded veterans?
Speaker 2: And I was like yeah, he was like what about kids?
Speaker 1: He was wounded?
Speaker 4: You know, I think that is you know, we we do have you guys obviously, especially right now. I mean, have a platform to make a lot of good happen with yeah, our dirt, you.
Speaker 1: Know, sure, sure, that's the reason we got it right.
Speaker 4: Yeah. But I started, you know, I got to Nashville and I started looking, Okay, well let's hunt public. So I started hunting out in Pegram Yeah, Land between the Lakes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, South you ever hear you?
Speaker 4: No, I never did.
Speaker 1: That's where that was our public ground for a while.
Speaker 4: I've got buddies that still hunt it really oh yeah. But there's something about those big public tracks, man, they're just stilled to me today. I mean, I get to hunt some of the best dirt in the world, and I still have this drawl to Land between the Lakes.
Speaker 1: I feel that it's it's so.
Speaker 4: Hard to get on deer there, but if you get on them, man, there's some I mean still the biggest year I think I've ever seen on hoof was it Land between the Lakes when I was scout. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Is that bow hunt only or is that they do it?
Speaker 4: They do a couple of quote hunts a year, put in for that, put in for it, and then you have your zones you have to stay in. But we would always come in on the on the north side of in Kentucky. We'd always hunt Kentucky and uh, there was this one year where it was like a drought year and nobody could find deer. Like this group that we went with, they're always on good deer, So I always killed, couldn't find him, coudn't find him, and Dad and I came across the sky with a big deer in the back and he's like, man, just because I'm done, I'm gonna tell you all what to do. Come on, get down by the water and these drawls for whatever reason, you know, acrons are down there this year. Yeah, and we did that, man, and got on them, got in them.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Never.
Speaker 4: I never never got a shot on one. Had one come in, A giant come in that was too dark. But so I've never killed up there, So it's like one of those things.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I got closed several years and I never got it done. So it still eats at me.
Speaker 2: That's the box that had been checked.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: But but years go on, and just because I always had to ask for permission, you never had a place to go hunt. I was like, man, a dream of mine is to have my own dirt eyes. And I finally got I finally got to a place where I could start looking. And I was looking, you know, looking for about a year year and a half, and came across a few options northeast of town. At the time, I was hunting on a lease south of Nashville, but I was having to drive through downtown Nashville to go hunting.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Ye, and with all your gear.
Speaker 3: It was just like it's unpredictable too. I mean, you try to catch you out at two o'clock, yeah, you may. You may get caught in two hours worth the trailer.
Speaker 4: You're trying to be in a headspace of let's go hunt, and now you're stuck in a traffic jam. It wasn't right. So I started looking north of town. So I have to go through downtown.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: The first three farms I thought were gonna be the ones, yeah, just fell flat. It wasn't what I was looking for. And like the last farm on it, it didn't show well online. It was because they had logged it and it was like dead of winter, muddy logging road pictures beautiful.
Speaker 1: Oh that's the forum, I won't baby.
Speaker 4: And so we get there and within you know, a quarter of mile riding on the on the four wheeler, I'm like, holy crowd, this is it. And not only is this it, it was dirt cheap, like this logy company try to unloaded.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So I was able to afford a pretty good chunk and I just got lucky, like it was probably gonna be a flip farm.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah. I had buddies at the time that were getting farms and kind of hunting them for a year or two and then you know, putting food pots in and flipping them, and I'm like, it'll probably be that. And then my neighbor to the east the next turkey season came around, and the turkeys would always stay on the perimeter of this farm because it was so thick from where they had logged it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, tough to get turkeys on it.
Speaker 4: And I'm like, comet, you know. And I was like, I'm just gonna cold call this guy to the east of me and see if he'll let me hunt. And he's like he answers, and I was like, I was just calling about your phone.
Speaker 3: I want to know exactly how you said, because do you go, hey, I'm dust No, no.
Speaker 2: Like country music, keep that card, keep that card.
Speaker 1: The podcasts possible.
Speaker 4: But I know I called him, It's like, hey, I was calling about your farm, you know at this address. He goes, how do you know I wanted to sell? And I'm like, oh great.
Speaker 2: And just fell from the heavens right.
Speaker 4: So got to talk to him and his sister got involved. He was older, and his sister got involved and screwed the whole thing up. She wanted to like triple the price of So I just passed and sat on sat for about a year, and then she came back and actually wanted to make sense of it. So I ended up getting that piece to the east of me, and then.
Speaker 2: That connect that joined you joined me.
Speaker 4: And then the neighbor to my north had this cow pasture and you'd always see birds out in it from my from my original piece and.
Speaker 2: Had this is.
Speaker 3: It wasn't sure exactly where you were on the scale, but now it's like our good.
Speaker 4: That went through me, and and it got to the point where I'm like, okay, I want to build like I'm going to be here. It's not I want to build a little something and have a little cabin or put an r V in or something. And how it cut. I'm like, man if I could get that farm, I would build on that farm.
Speaker 5: You always think that though, yeah, man if I can get that hement through my original piece to come in on the south side, because all of this, come to find out, used to be.
Speaker 1: His all like an actual gravel road.
Speaker 4: Actual gravel road. Yeah, And so he's like, yeah, I'm not ready to sell yet. He's just summer and cows on it. And I'm okay, well, if you ever get ready to sell, please let me have first shot at it, because you run right through me. And he's like, I'll do it. So I get We go another couple of years and I get concrete poured and trust is delivered, and this sucker stops me in the road. No way, Yes, a pad you pour it's a forty eight by ninety six.
Speaker 1: Oh gosh. Yeah.
Speaker 4: So I'm like, I'm putting, I'm putting, you know, boats in there in the off, the whole thing. And he's like, my wife wants me to get rid of it. I'm of course he does now that I've put a pad.
Speaker 2: Down where I don't want right where I try not to put a pad down for years.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and just put casters on it who could track it to it, just pull.
Speaker 4: It up to the movie. He knew he had me, man, He worked me over. He would not budge on the price. I finally got him to throw in he had because I wanted to, you know, another dream of minds to get back into cows. That was my first job ever. Was was helping on a farm down the street from where I was living.
Speaker 1: Another check on the you can wear a cowboy hat list.
Speaker 4: If you actually worked dollars an hour road.
Speaker 1: Farm, you worked with cash, you can wear a caboy as much as.
Speaker 2: You all the time.
Speaker 1: Legit. Yeah, I was sleeping.
Speaker 2: Nobody's saying nothing about that.
Speaker 1: Nope.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And so I got it. I convinced him to let me keep a corral he had made in these trees. He's like, fine, I'll do that. And then he had this old junker disc in, this old junker like eight foot deck bush hog and he's like, now you got to buy those from me. I'm like, dude, you haven't used you haven't moved these in four years. They've been sitting on our property line and a bush in a bush hog. And he's like, now you got to pay me for those. And I'm like, okay, here's what I was like, come on, man, you haven't budged on this price. Finally he gave me those and I was like, we got a deal.
Speaker 2: You had to get to the point where I ended up with.
Speaker 4: This original farm that was, you know, just a logging dump, but ended up having a giant on it. I ran cameras like, of course the first month, dumping out corn and see what's on it. And there weren't many deer trails. There weren't many deer on the farm, but there was an absolute monster on this thing. And I'm like, okay, I'm at least gonna hunt him for a little bit. But I started out with that original track, and then I wound up with three farms that joined the years. Like you come across your neighbors and are they cool people? Are they idiots? And most of them around me are cool and and I would like to say most like to grow big deer. They don't, you know, But.
Speaker 2: We run in the same problem.
Speaker 4: But I think if I do, I still got a lot of work to do to get my habitat where I want it. But that's what I'm obsessed with right now. But I think I think I'll be there pretty pretty much long term.
Speaker 2: Now, where where do turkey? If turkey and deer right here, which one do you prefer?
Speaker 4: Like, Oh, it's pretty even for me. Yeah, I think that what I obsess about the most, and spend way more money on it than I should it is probably you know, bow hunting, white tail come home, man, I just I love it is crazy and you get to chase the same animal for years, and uh most of the time they win.
Speaker 2: And you know, literally said that same statement. That's why I'm obsessed with bo hunt too.
Speaker 3: I Mean, we love it when we win, but I almost equally as much love it when they win because it just keeps the challenge of And that's what to me bow hunting is. It's just like, man, if you're going to fool an old buck bow hunting, you gotta be you gotta have it.
Speaker 1: All on that way.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and still get lucky.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there ain't still get real lucky.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And he's got to be. He's got to make her own move for sure.
Speaker 1: What happened to your big buck that you were seeing on the farm?
Speaker 4: Man, I got to watch. I chased him for a couple of years. You know, I don't get to hunt as much as I would love to. And now with the opportun he did a hunt with Drury Outdoors. I've been hunt with those guys for a handful of years, and you know, so that takes a couple of you know, weeks of hunting away from what I could be hunting. Tennessee, I don't get to chase him full time, but I hunted him for a couple of years. In November, I had a video of him chasing a dough down the slogging road, like November twenty second, I think this year or no, this would have been three four years ago now, and then I never saw him again, so I don't know. I think he was so big. I think if somebody would have got him, we'd have seen it or heard about.
Speaker 2: It, you know what. Score wise, what were we talking about?
Speaker 1: Man?
Speaker 4: He was one sixties for sure, I mean an absolute like I always showed him to Mark Drury and his team and they were like, holy crap, like we didn't know you had deer like that, Tennessee. I mean he was a dagumshooter. If you can lad and seem more like that sense, yeah, yeah, if you.
Speaker 2: Can just let him, if you can just let him age man, if you can let him get out there to six.
Speaker 4: I had a one that was like finally showed some awesome potential this year, and he was for sure a four year old because I had him last year as a three on camera and I'm like, all right, let's let's see, let's roll the dice five and.
Speaker 1: Uh, you got some killers around you? Huh.
Speaker 4: My neighbor, yeah, he and his brother hunt. They usual only hunt a week of muzzle utter, which is as we know in Tennessee.
Speaker 2: That's that's the jam.
Speaker 4: And I don't know if you got him then or later, but my neighbor ended up getting them. And of course you hear about it. He's like, man, biggest year I've ever shot. And I'm like, I bet it's the four year old. Like, do you'll get a picture of him? I had. The other neighbor's like, yeah, I think he posted on Facebook. Pull it up for me.
Speaker 1: We're all living the same.
Speaker 4: Guming yeah, but you know we always have there, you know. There, I don't have anything that's I'm super pumped up, sure, but there I've got a bunch of old deer. Still, there's all They're always going to get through. Yeah, you know, there's always gonna be something to get through. You just hope like the the pretty boys making.
Speaker 2: The ones with potential for sure.
Speaker 3: Man, I'll tell you what I started doing, and this might be a good alternative if you if you're not able to buy a lot of land around you, not you specifically, I'm just talking to the listener as I went. And so I bought my farm and there was a couple of hundred acres over here that the guy just let kids hunt it like crazy, and bro, every three year old I have was just getting capped every it'd be opening day arrival. I checked Facebook two hours later. Man, I've been passing them for two years.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And so I actually went to the guy and was like, hey, man, he was talking to me.
Speaker 1: He had ran over a shed and it pierced his tractor. He's like, man, I had my kids at the green. He was like, man, I had to put a damn tire on that tractor. There's three hundred and eighty bucks for a front tire. You know they're expensive.
Speaker 3: I was like, hey, man, why don't you let me lease that ground for you and I'll pay you X amount. Then you can you know, you can buy tractor tires ever. You know you can be able to In that moment, he was like, all right, let's do it. And I don't even hunt that.
Speaker 2: Just what you're saying, you took kids hunting rights away from you just thought about one.
Speaker 1: Of the kids. There's no way.
Speaker 3: Out here without taking somebody's rights away. I'm just saying, yes, I took it to some kids from the kids, yeah, from the good job man.
Speaker 1: And then because of that, I've been killing bigger. So if you can lock up that ground around you, just by like.
Speaker 3: Maybe leasing it, you can acquire enough to actually grow some deer. And I think that's what what I've been able to do over there, Thank goodness. It's just kind of have enough, or you can hold them tight, you know, and hold them and keep them in there with food, with cover. Honestly, the thing that's worked best for me is not pressuring those areas and just letting them know that they can walk in there and the refuge man hang out and Chase does getting shot at it.
Speaker 4: I've learned so much from Mark. He is like absolutely and like I grew up watching those guys and and now getting to be buds with them and talk to him on a regular basis. It's just amazing. You know. The strategy that goes into, yeah, you've got to you've got a farm, But what's the best way you can you can hunt the farm. What's the best way you can design it to where you're giving the deer the best chance at survival? You know, not only from hunters, but from everything else. And you know, and and and I don't think what a lot of people realize is is we're the least of a deer's worries. Like we're their best option, seriously, because if if the hunters not you know, harvesting a deer, it's going to get eaten alive, sure, which is not fun. Or or they're going to disease out, you know, and get weak. So just learning how you design farms and like the access of you know, designing you know, to and from the food plotter or the deer cent however you're going to hunt them.
Speaker 1: Has passed my mega legit.
Speaker 4: Dude, I'm he's I'm every day.
Speaker 1: Yeah, just like.
Speaker 2: And it kind of takes it kind of takes like because I heard you say earlier with your dad growing up and all that stuff, and that's a lot of like hunting back then, it's just getting in the truck with a gun, going and sitting in a bon and waiting. When you start prepping a farm and start learning about that stuff and and and really looking at it from the deer's eyes instead of your own, like that takes it to another level and of obsession.
Speaker 4: To exactly because I'm sitting here right now talking to you guys and listening to y'all talk, and I'm thinking about, Man, I've got to you know, I need to create some more cover on that real side. Like that's what I'll do on my off time. Like I'm gonna be in the woods creating cover for deer on my off day. It sounds so silly. I love it that much.
Speaker 2: You have to.
Speaker 4: I literally get injuries from yea, I just.
Speaker 2: Took I just took a stitch out of that one right there from Browton's rattling because I didn't cut my brow Tons smacked it. Yeah, I had to get stitching it. So yeah, I'm with you.
Speaker 1: Bro. Let me ask you this, what do you feel like?
Speaker 3: Are some things you've done or implemented on your farm that is that has either helped your population or has helped helped give your bucks and and those some some of that cut What do you feel like? Okay, I did this to my farm and this made a difference in the outcome of mind.
Speaker 4: I'll tell you what, you know. I got a new You get a new piece of land, and you want it to look good and you have fun keeping it up, you know, and manicuring it. Ye, and then you realize, wait a second, I've taken I've taken all of my cover, all of my edges, all of my soft edges out, and so like, for me, it's the discipline of letting weeds grow, letting it fields grow up quick. You're like, man, this looks so good and you're really manicuring everything, and it's like, yeah, stop bushogging because the turkeys are getting picked off, nowhere to go. Like you feel good about yourself because it looks awesome and it's pretty, but you're actually doing damage. And I would say that like really trying to make sure I'm throttling how much I'm on the farm. It's to like, I definitely need some help out there, but it's tough for me because I don't want I don't want to get you know, somebody involved that feels like they've got to go.
Speaker 1: Every day do something.
Speaker 4: Yeah, man, yep, And yeah, I think just letting it rest and let it be more natural. I completely agreeze your question.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we took I would say probably thirty acres of my farm and that we used to bush hog. I mean three or four times a year, honestly, and just let it grow and cut fibrakes around the outside, and we're gonna start burning it every every four years. We hadn't made it four years yet since we started doing it, but I've already seen pictures of more turkeys, more poles.
Speaker 1: More falls.
Speaker 3: And I mean it's kind of a dual deal because you're given once that natural growth comes up, you're giving protection to the to the poles and a place to feed. But that's also really great deer brows. Yeah, and we've and we've seen a lot of We didn't kill a lot because we're just letting the deer grow, but the buck I took off there spend a ton of time in that natural browse. And then I don't even really even I mean, my wife's like, let's take a ride on the subside, and I'm.
Speaker 4: Like, no, yeah, no, no. Some of my friends are like, let's go outside. Say it's like only you know, only in January.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, exactly late January.
Speaker 4: And once you start, you know, once you start riding around your life crap, you know, keeping up logging roads is a lot of work.
Speaker 1: Man, Yeah, and they start rutting up a road.
Speaker 4: It's not fun when you own when somebody else is You're like, yeah, but I think you know to to piggyback onto that. Probably my next biggest project is going back in, you know, because I've had this the original farm for five six years, seven years now, and all of that logged early sessional growth is now getting shaded out by like some mid story stuff. So I've got to go back in and like create a lot more openings than that that used to be there and get that browse back up. But my favorite project each year is control burns. I had the state come out and do it the first year.
Speaker 2: I find that's a common thing people that control burned.
Speaker 4: That's their favorite adult fire.
Speaker 2: I think I would burn all of West Tennessee if I tried to control burn our place.
Speaker 4: I love it and like now watching watching pros do it and you can like one of my favorite Like I obsess every day on you especially certain times of years. Growing Dear TV with.
Speaker 2: Grant and Great Information.
Speaker 4: Man, it's incredible and they're they're big advocates on control burns and rotating all that. But that's really kind of how I've learned how to safely do it. I was watching the guys doing on my place. They kind of forced it. They shouldn't have burned. It was just like they knew they were getting paid and it was still wet and like not even half of it went. But I initially started out with with my tour manager, a bus driver and their buddy, Hey.
Speaker 2: What you got going on? I need you have a place, and.
Speaker 4: We we burnt like the first year we burnt h this hillside that was eight acres and last year we burned eighty acres. Nice man, and dude, you talk you like eighty acres on fires? The coolest thing. It looks like the end of the world.
Speaker 2: Is there any Is there any freak out?
Speaker 4: Oh, there's always streak out. Yeah, keeps fun though.
Speaker 2: Me and Dan we had this on our place in West Tennessee, this one spot that was super overground.
Speaker 1: First off 's say this, take Dustin's advice and like.
Speaker 2: Do your research before you just go. Don't just go throw gasolina.
Speaker 1: That's what we did. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I was like, man, I think we like we could burn this. Dan was like how I was like, dude, I don't know. I think we just dumped some gasoline out here and lining on fire and Dude, before we know it, Man, there's this group of we dude, there was like helicopters flying over hiding in the trees. We had town.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we lift the woods on fire man. But there was a big grove of dead trees. And so when it got I was like, maybe I'll just skip around. All of a sudden it was and it was going and we just had this giant like inferno having it in front of us and and neighbors.
Speaker 1: We gotta stump that out over there. We go. Yeah, buddy comes like y'all burn or something. No, man, just a little campfire put it out.
Speaker 3: Right, and we were running through the woods like I mean, luckily it didn't get out of control.
Speaker 2: He could have.
Speaker 1: But easy talking about freak out mode. Bro, we were we were there.
Speaker 2: We need to win the switch, We need to win this ship.
Speaker 1: I think God had a little grace on us and just maybe dropped.
Speaker 4: It's crazy how how quickly dead grass goes and it gets to a point you're like, oh, I'll just you know, they'll get in front of it. It gets so hot you can't yeah and leave, you can't even get close.
Speaker 2: That leaves burn it in an instant.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and one thing almost my neighbors saved me for this. I just called him like, hey, just so you know, I'm about to burn this hillside is the first one I was going to tempt on my own. He goes, did you call the state? I was like, I didn't realize I had to. He's like, yeah, you better get you a burn from they're gon hanger and.
Speaker 1: There's certain times of years you don't have to have one, and there's a majority time.
Speaker 2: Of the year stay wide or is that county wide.
Speaker 4: I'm not sure. So anyway, I call the state and then I call the county you know, fire department, and you'll still have people driving down the road thinking it's the end of the world.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Sure, you can let all your neighbors know. There's still gonna be somebody driving around. All the cops Andy, this farm's on fire. If they know about it, they're like, yeah, we know, control burn whatever whatever for habitat. So that's important.
Speaker 2: Was it your dad, like got you that got you into this?
Speaker 1: Dad?
Speaker 2: Did your dad hunt?
Speaker 1: It was dad?
Speaker 4: Yeah, And I started bow hunting when I was thirteen, So I think my entry, my entry to hunting was tough hunting. Yeah, which I think is a lot of people.
Speaker 2: Dude, you're the dog, like when your dad's going and he's like, he's like, yeah, you can go. If you go pick up the dove.
Speaker 1: That's it.
Speaker 4: And so that's where it started. And I loved it, and he could tell that I loved it. And you know, he grew up in Florida, so he was chasing deer. Wasn't huge, you know, but he was. He was still out chasing hogs and trapping raccoons and stuff. So it was it was in his blood. We did a lot of fishing growing up, but for whatever reason, took an interest in and uh and honey, he went and he I remember, I think the first thing I remember of us doing with deer Honting he went, uh and built a buddy a deer stand. I think it was. I think we just built it out of wood. And I was like, man, I want to do I want a deer hunt. So I think we just started doing it. I loved it. And then he got uh, I believe it or not. Right down the street from us was a guy that did had a little archery shop and I was garage. It's part time archery shop.
Speaker 1: You were in there?
Speaker 4: Yeah, he and I got bows. I was thirteen, and we started shooting and I started hunting, man, and it was game on. Yeah, you feel that you feel out of drilling when you're on the ground with a deer. I was hunting on the ground at first, come on thirteen with a bow.
Speaker 2: And then you then you actually like harvest one. You shoot one and it just sets it on fire.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And it was all that was just that was it. And and and still like just the the end anticipation of watching the Outdoor channel. Yeah, on the weekends. You know, you're looking for the weekend because you're not in school. But then you've got you know, Jury Outdoors coming on, and you know, this is when they we still had video cameras. This big me and my buddy started videotaping each other when we were fifteen bow hunting. We had camo duct tape on these giants, these giants. And that's what I was going to do for a living, for life. I was going to be outdoor TV. Yeah, bro host and cameraman.
Speaker 1: Even before you started like playing music and singing, that was the driver.
Speaker 4: That was it, man. I was obsessed really. Yeah.
Speaker 1: The guitar.
Speaker 4: I picked it up originally when I was eight and then gave it up and then I picked it up again when I was fourteen.
Speaker 1: Did you always kind of write and sing or were you just kind of yeah?
Speaker 4: I immediately, like as soon as I could kind of get through playing and singing, I had this infinity to like really try to write a song. Man. Getting to record something on my mom's like cassette deck, go play it in her car was the coolest thing ever. I remember like it was yesterday, and it was like so addicting. Yeah, and that that became hunting and fishing always stayed.
Speaker 3: But that was like, Okay, So when did you just saw going, I'm going, I'm gonna I'm gonna chase this thing down.
Speaker 4: I will say probably fifteen, fifteen or sixteen we started a band. I know I was fifteen because my mom was taking me over to my buddy's house so we could even drive. I can't even drive yet.
Speaker 1: Was it the Dustin Lynch band? You have some names? It was?
Speaker 4: It was back in the day. We uh, it took forever to find a name, but we finally came across this This name called fifteen Rain was our band.
Speaker 1: Name by.
Speaker 4: Matchbox two. Fifteen Rain, and it took us forever to figure out can have a bunch of names.
Speaker 1: And my mom was fresh than fifteen, so mine was the thing in a number ten.
Speaker 4: Yes, my drummer was taking a was cheating on a quiz in English class on uh, I forget what it was great gas beer or something, and the answer to number fifteen was rain and somebody shouted like he was like, hey, what's you know? And somebody's like fifteen rain and he's like, and so that's what we know ourselves, and we did uh. But we were straight into like trying to do originals. It was like like kind of pop rocky immediately immediately, No, we were doing covers too, but like we mean started trying to write because I was obsessed with writing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, were you writing with your little band? Like fifteen Rain was writing fifteen rains?
Speaker 4: Yeah, sham, it's still it's still wild. It's still how I love to like make our shows just there. I don't have like somebody that helps me out and like, hey, what we were thinking about this is the soundtrack to this tour or anything like that. I know some people have like a musical director that kind of maps out their songs and whatever. Like I still get with my band and we'll huddle up and just jam until we find it. And that's how we how we still do our shows.
Speaker 2: That's awesome.
Speaker 4: And that's how we were doing. We would just sit around and like jam and find it and then I'll go home and lyrics. And we came up to Nashville and recorded in Antiok, Tennessee, and this dude's basement, went home on our you know parents printer printed off the CD cover and burned them on our burned CDs.
Speaker 1: On the you know, our family computers.
Speaker 4: And and started handing those out and selling them.
Speaker 2: And playing shows and and yeah, we would play.
Speaker 4: We would play you know, walk a Thons and car dealerships, and on the trailer they pull up, yeah are uh We We had this guy that that approached us and was like, man, I can get you all into Manchester, Tennessee at this this club. And we're like, you know, sweet big times, yeah, our first club. And he was hanging exit in over our heads too. I'll get you in there too. It's just you know, whoever.
Speaker 2: He grind trying to make.
Speaker 1: I signed contracts with like eighty of those.
Speaker 4: Yeah right, and uh so we go and we go, we we play this thing. We play this building and uh, I'm like, man, is this a Mexican restaurant a tire shop.
Speaker 2: Combined?
Speaker 4: Yeah? Why is there a stripper pole? But at sixteen you're like, hell yeah, Well, come to find out, it's like a rotational venue. So on Thursdays they have strippers and I forget what day we played one is. My dad at the time had a insulation company, like a little side gig insulation company, and a couple of his workers. I was telling Dad. I was like, it's sound like Hispanic restaurant. I can't figure out what it is.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Dad's like, wow, massa workers and they're like they tell them like, no, it's a strip club on whatever. That didn't go over well with mom.
Speaker 2: That's they couldn't come.
Speaker 4: So we got to play that place twice and then that that plug got full. Yeah, but yeah, we we just beat around in the college comes and everybody kind of had different aspirations. My drummer was a huge Alabama fan, so you wanted to go to bambas he went there. I was headed to MTSU with the guitar player. We're going to keep the music thing going. The bass player super talent. He wanted to go to UT Knoxville and do architecture. So we kind of split up out of high school. And what year was this two thousand and three?
Speaker 1: Gotcha?
Speaker 4: And uh then at last minute, I got a call from Lipscomb University to get a scholarship to play golf. Wow, and really, so I did that. It got me to Nashville. It was like that golf got me to Nashville, so I could actually really jump into learning how that man, it's funny how and uh, that's that's what got me here, man. And the first night I moved in, my parents left, and before they got to the end of the road, I was at the Bluebird man.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 4: And uh, scared of death. I thought it was in the ghetto. Yeah, yeah, I mean I did. It was like I was scared to death. To go anywhere in Nashville is like I'm going to get killed everywhere I go.
Speaker 2: Do you remember who you saw? Who was playing? I don't.
Speaker 4: I don't remember that. I didn't.
Speaker 2: I was playing yesterday.
Speaker 1: This was playing.
Speaker 2: Every time we asked me who they saw, Yeah, dance nine o'clock.
Speaker 4: I didn't get in. I got you know that. It was capacity. I just watched through the windows. But I was like the most epic moment of life right there, first night in Nashville and get to watch the Blueberd Cafe.
Speaker 1: That's awesome. Yeah, that's that's that's a great story.
Speaker 4: We had come up in high school, me and the band and played an open mic at Bluebird though cool, so like I knew, Yeah, I was obviously, Well they're actually still airing back then, they're airing like Tuesdays at the Bluebird on TNN.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I remember channel thirty three for me. I don't know what it was for y'all. We used to watch TNN all the time, yep.
Speaker 4: And it's just it's cool. Like moving to Nashville. It was the Grand Old Opry, it was Bluebird Cafe and Lower Broadway and like just trying to you know, my goals were to play all three of those things, and that's kind of where I was, man, And of course those goals have changed at this point, but so did.
Speaker 2: You Just got to Nashville, started connecting networking, writing as much as you could.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, it took a while. I had a lot of my plate trying to continue on my gos call ship was the reason I could be in Nashville. Sure, it couldn't afford to be here anywhere other way. So like that was a huge focus a lot of time, like trying to play my butt off and keep that thing that's awesome, you know, and I did and and then you know, at Lipscom University, I think it's got a lot more relaxed now, but back then, it was super strict. Like if you've left campus after seven pm, you had to check out, tell them where you're going.
Speaker 1: Really.
Speaker 4: Then you come back and they're like, where'd you go? You know, at the Sounds game? Okay, do this breathalyzer.
Speaker 1: I didn't even know college could do that. Yeah.
Speaker 4: If you're twenty one and even showed up anything on a breath lizer, you're out of college.
Speaker 1: Anything.
Speaker 2: Yeah, golf colarship gone, Yeah, super strict.
Speaker 4: So we would go to Vanderbilt. You know, we'd go see our parents, but we'd go to Vanderbilt and go to their frat parties. And that's where I was like, wait a second, you're hiring these bands for how much money to play these cover songs. I can do this. So I started chopping away at getting my cover list up and uh and and taking notes at these parties on like where I was working and research.
Speaker 3: I mean, we did this eut of the band that did basically the same thing you're saying you did in Mississippi.
Speaker 1: And like I'm a MISSISPI steaked.
Speaker 3: I'm a bulldog guy and I can't even be mad at Ole miss because of how much money we made off those I mean, they.
Speaker 1: Would shell it out.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and it really sets a great foundation, uh for for for knowing what the listener wants to.
Speaker 1: Hear without a doubt whether you like it or not.
Speaker 4: That's it. I still I still use a lot of those skills from those days. Frat houses on Lower Broadway, play Lower Broadway for years two like that never changes. We were just in Mexico for our ninth crash my apply with Luke and we've created this monster down there.
Speaker 2: Let's get give us, give us the give us your the Dustin Lance story on what happened last year.
Speaker 1: That's drunk.
Speaker 2: I know, no doubt tind of release of an apology, didn't he he did?
Speaker 4: Yeah? There's no context, right, so you see in writing in these articles on what right, but but there's no context of like how it was said. You just read it and it's like, wow, that's terrible.
Speaker 2: Oh he's snow dust and Liz, Yeah.
Speaker 4: So's he's like trying to crack jokes, and you know he's because I've been down there with them every year, Like we kind of I have done that every year together down there and multiple nights together. It isn't just like I play and he plays like we've collabed every year on stuff. So the crowd down there, everybody's been seven times or like, they've all get it, and they all understand what it is and how loose it is, and that's why they go back like you're getting a once in a lifetime show. Absolutely a circus that.
Speaker 2: You can only get there.
Speaker 4: And he's never able to say any of that in the States on tour because Live Nation will pull his contract exactly, so we know what we're getting down there, and he's trying to be funny and introduce me. Well, he starts going down this road of just bashing me, and to the point to where I'm looking at his.
Speaker 1: Manager like that you care, just that, like it might get him in trouble.
Speaker 4: And so yeah, we hit the stage and it anyways, it catches fire. We get back home, he's duck hunting and I'm deer hunting or whatever. We're looking at all these articles pop up like oh crap, and so he has to apologize, you know, especially with you know, now he's worried obviously American idol. Yeah, who cares about the country music thing. It's an American idol, no doubt. You know, you got to watch out for, no doubt. And so he does that.
Speaker 1: So he like he can't.
Speaker 4: He gets to worry. He can't sleep at night because he's worried about what my parents think, oh man, which is just shows you what kind of guy Luke is. So he like calls me, He's like, what's their email? I want to apologize to him, and he goes, you know what, next year you get to introduce me. You have a year to figure out how to do it. So I'm like, oh crap. You know, I can't like go in I don't want to go in hard on him like he did me. What can I do? So I'm like, you know what, We're going to do an official roast? And uh, the best roaster of all time is Jeff Ross.
Speaker 2: And so did you get him down there?
Speaker 4: Got a hold of him and we wore him out.
Speaker 1: Out.
Speaker 4: It was one of those things where like please connect, please connect, you know, and the first like one of the first singers that was I knew was not yeah I want to hear some of some of them, just just yeah. One of the first singers. Like the crowd reacted pretty good too, and I'm like, oh, we got them. What's coming now? You know his I think his new single Southern and Slow, so like he cracked him on that. He's like, finally you're writing something autobiographic. But it was more of that stuff. There's some stuff we had to edit out about Caroline and Ryan Seacrest and uh, but uh, we kept it pretty family friendly. But it was great, man, it was good Jeff. Jeff did a great job and he went like above and beyond. Yeah, he was really into it. So it turned out great. And and it come to find out they you know, you're always going at what point there is enough crash my applians and uh confirmed the last night of the festival, the guy's backstage. Luke was on stage and I went back to get another beer or something, and they're like, we're thousand percent do in year ten start playing for it? So that's all what we started out doing. They asked me to do a couple of songs by the pool the first year ever. They were just making it up and I'm like, a couple of songs. Screw y'all. I've never been to Mexico. Like, so, me and my band I had it was me and my guitar player and my drummer had a cahone. We stopped by the liquor store on the way there in the resort and we just grab a bunch of bottles of liquor and we take them out to the pool and we sit on the edge of the pool and we start playing songs and they wanted two songs. We played for an hour and a half and people going crazy. The promoters came to me, They're like, dude, we got to do this next year. I was like, well, give me some speakers next year. Yeah, And so we looked, did a little stage. It went off great, and then it just They're like, Okay, this is your thing. Let's start growing it. And it's grown into this just circus of like we do a big parade walk in and this year we did a theme and we're bringing it.
Speaker 1: It sounds like we brought fun.
Speaker 2: Absolutely.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we we branded it the Pool Situation. We brought up to Las Vegas and sold out three of their night clubs with the Pool Situation, and we'll bring it back to Vegas. We did it at c Mayfest, so it's kind of like it's come back to the States and become one of our staple events.
Speaker 2: Now, how many nights do you do y'all do down there?
Speaker 4: It's it's a four night festival. Cool and then the hot pool parties every day. Yeah, it's a lot of fun. I always encourage anybody that, especially you know, songwriters, anybody that's in the creative community go down there. There's there's plenty of room and you know, to to get everybody in and just see it. You know, it's it's it's always crappy weather here anyways. Yeah, and man, it's great to get down there and just mingled. There were so many artists, you were sixteen artists, Like, yeah, why would you not be down there mingling? Right?
Speaker 1: For sure? Yeah.
Speaker 2: So you're on what six studio album with Killed the Think So yeah, well I think it's six. Yeah, when when did that come? When did Kill the Cable come out?
Speaker 4: It came out September this this past year twenty three, and I'm still loving it. You know, I'm still getting better at the process. That's what I think I'm having so much fun doing. Is like you start out and as all of us do, you're like, you've recorded songs, but then you get into you know how we used to do it, you know, you you know, we're cut with eight guys and you've got his producer, and you feel like you're running from the cops trying to make what's going to be you know, what's your life and career hang on your first album?
Speaker 1: No pressure?
Speaker 4: Yeah, you don't know how to communicate to these guys, right, you know, I mean all these guys, like I've read their names on track lists, your you know, a whole life, and they're played all my favorite records. And now he's sitting there like, Okay, I don't like what he's playing, but I'm not going to tell him.
Speaker 1: Right, you know?
Speaker 4: Yeah, no, I know exactly, But now I am going to tell them, you know, like we have like the confidence in the rapport now with with musicians and worked with them so long that I feel comfortable in the studio now and it's it's a lot more fun and I've I've learned how I like to make music and and how I'm loving it right now. We cut with a smaller band, you get the bare bones of it, and then we'll just take it back to the studio and and slowly chip away at it and try to make each song unique. And been around doing it long enough to see that, you know, the pendulum of country music is constantly swinging. Luckily, I've been able to hang on to it and not get bucked off. And we've got to you know, make a lot of cool music and and and get to make some very traditional music and very you know, kind of genre pushing forward thinking music too. And and I've had fun doing all that, you know, growing up being a rock fan and getting to make some more rocking countries cool and growing up and being a George Strait's my hero. So getting to do all of that I think been George. Thank you, Yeah, thank you. That was just a fun tip of the hat of like how can I how can I get my my hero on an album? And that way, you know, I went to George show and no it was in November of last year.
Speaker 1: That was stable too, was that the thing?
Speaker 4: You know, this was a two night only at at Dick. He's in fort Worth, and I was like, man, I to get to see Straight fort Worth, Like yeah, get me straight and then like go down the street and two step billy bobs. That sounds like a great night. So I flew down there and did that. And I was sitting there and before Straight comes on, they played, you know, thirty or forty minutes of house music, but it was all songs, all country songs that had mentioned George Straight. Dang in the lyrics. Dang, it was really cool.
Speaker 2: How long was it?
Speaker 4: It was like thirty or forty minute Every song had mentioned George Straight and the lyric.
Speaker 3: That's awesome. And you could probably do thirty forty minutes out of my catalog with every Straight, no doubt.
Speaker 4: It was pretty cool though, Like, as you know, I'm sitting there as a songwriter like wow, and they're all most of them are like hits for sure. Yeah. It just shows you the magnitude of his success and his brand.
Speaker 2: So you're hitting the road on Kill the Cowboy Tour. When that when's that starting?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 4: That kicks off Actually the Ryman, it'll be our first time to headline the Rhyman April second, and uh with you, I've got I'm taking out of a buddy. His name Skis. I don't know if y'all heard of him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I want to know this guy.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he's he's a lot of fun. He's like a chameleon man. He does he's Uh, I don't know, he's got like this arm. I guess pretty much R and B based, but he's a big country fan. And he also does collapse with like top forty artists and you know, like in the rap scene a little bit. And he's just like we met honestly just hanging out at a bar and uh. I started coming across his name and liking what he was doing, and I'm like, man, what can we do? That's a little different, you know. And as artists, like if you're gonna do a tour or somebody, you want to love their music and who they are. And I love him as a person and I love his music. I'm like, hell, let's see if he no way he's going to say yes to this. And he's like, dude, I'm a thousand percent in let's go. I'm like, okay, wow, is it him and the guitars? And he got to he's gonna yeah, so I think, you know, and like he has it to a whole lot yea. And in the past he's just kind of in that world you just throw the throw the DJ or whatever. But he's bringing a band out with us so to be cool to you know, see those songs, but you know, and that interpretation. So we'll see how it goes. It's kind of a big unknown, you know, it's not like it's the country orders of the band. Yeah, I don't know what he's gonna do, which is kind of fun.
Speaker 2: You've got to collaborate with Jelly Row on this latest thing, Chevrolet.
Speaker 1: How's that?
Speaker 2: How's that? Working with him?
Speaker 4: Man? Oh, it's really cool. Man, He's you know, he's a great energy. I don't think you guys have got to spend a lot of time with Jelly.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I don't know him personally, but I've dude, what just just the fact that he went up to Washington and and so I got hi chill bumps right now thinking about that man and and him fighting for you know, for for that and it was just really cool to watch.
Speaker 4: And really he's got a lot more in the pipeline of good that he's doing. I know, actually on the drive end today, I was talking to Buddy that that's you know, in on it, working with it, and and Joey's just you know, with his background and I think he has I know, he has a lot more experience than I do. I go to the Bluebird Cafe and think I'm in danger when I moved to Nashville. That dude's an Antioch running the streets. So like he knows, he knows what's out there.
Speaker 2: And and a lot.
Speaker 4: Just a demographic that I'm not aware of in country music. And that's what I got asked the other day, like what's he bring to country music? He brings that to country music. So he brings that walk of life and like the street smarts and knowing how that works and what they need to hear. That's what he brings to country music.
Speaker 2: A voice for those people man that haven't really that voice hasn't been.
Speaker 4: Around, not not at this yeah, not at a scale like this.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: And and that's what I think he's bringing. And that's why it's a rocket ship ride. This this whole collab started before the rock ship Ride happened. It started before he knew he wanted to even try to make a country or if that's what we want to call it, right, And it started with my producers at Krall and Jelly worked forever ago. Zach grew up in Nashville and he was making like all the street beats for all the rappers cool, and he and Jelly had worked together and known each other through that for years and twenty one when when you know, we were just stuck in Nashville, Jelly and Zach reconnected and we had noticed Zach and I had noticed, like, man, Jelly's like he's got a connection with his fans. If you look at his back then if you were looking at his post, like the interactions were through the room really just having a conversation with him man where like yeah, just his reach and like just his fan base. If he would post something, we're like boom and all involved and where like anybody else was posting, because that's all we were doing, was like hey, come hang on a basement tonight, you know, like we're doing a thing. But Jelly was like Craig going crazy and we noticed it. And so Zach's like, man, let me reach out to see what you know, see what he see if you and you know, enlighten us or whatever. They got to talk and like, man, let's start making music together. Let's screw around and see what happens. And so Zach and I are working and he starts working with Jelly, and like we start talking about collapse and Chevrolet came across, and it's like, man, this thing is you know, it's a melody that's been around for decades and it's been performed by multiple artists already. We have an opportunity to continue this legacy on with a new country lyric on it, and Jelly has one of the most soulful voices in the genre at this point. Let's see if he'll do it. He was all in, so yeah, just you know, one of those lucky timing things.
Speaker 2: Me and Jordan were I don't know if it was Halloween or Christmas or something, but there's this little farm that has like a pet and zoo close to our house and you can take the kids. And we were leaving and there was like a group of kids over here playing with sticks and hitting the tree. And we walked by him and they were going only talk to God. And I was like, Okay, man, this is gonna work. This guy's gonna work there's like seven kids singing the whole course of that beating that tree, stabbing with those swordsticks.
Speaker 3: For me, man, I just love how grateful he seems, you know, and and he's you know, he's well spoken and and it just seems like he's he's really enjoying his moment, man. And I love to see that, especially in using that platform in that moment to help you know the people that he cares about and where.
Speaker 1: He comes from. I just I don't know, I like, I like his stance.
Speaker 4: He doesn't have to do it right right, They just not have to do. Artists that are that are global superstars that you know, stay in the shadows, and that's great. Some people don't don't want to spend their off days talking to politicians and Dan and we're glad ye does.
Speaker 2: Yeah you can see his heart through that.
Speaker 1: Ye.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you can see where he's at. I'm sure that was important what you were trying to say. But it's that time of the show for the one that got.
Speaker 1: God.
Speaker 2: It catches the.
Speaker 1: Usually I try to interrupt you, but it's kind of hard when it's so quiet, and I'm like.
Speaker 4: You know, I just freaked out, Like, am I gonna have to put a line.
Speaker 1: I mean, you can't. Once we can co write it.
Speaker 4: Back to coffee, I think, like, I'm down to here on this cup.
Speaker 2: And start working on that next record.
Speaker 4: If you want to, dude, I'm ready seriously.
Speaker 2: So yeah, we do.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 2: We do this thing called the One that Got Away and uh, and we ask every guest that we have in your life if it could be a deer, it could be a fish, it could be a song, be a girl. What what's the first thing? What's the story that comes to your mind when we say, man, d l I'm gonna start calling you deal if as.
Speaker 4: Please do everybody?
Speaker 2: Yeah, what's the uh? What's the one that got away? For you?
Speaker 4: I mean, I don't think girls the right answer. There's a bunch of those.
Speaker 1: But have you ever had deer season interrupt a relationship?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 1: Man?
Speaker 2: I mean how many girlfriends have you broken up with it or have broken up with you because of deer season?
Speaker 4: Well, just at this point, I don't. I don't allow that to happen.
Speaker 1: I can't.
Speaker 4: I'm smart, man, I just I can't imagine having to say no to hunting opportunity right now because I need to go home and entertain something.
Speaker 2: It's tough.
Speaker 4: It seems so shallow, but that's where I'm at.
Speaker 1: Tough, It's not so shallow, right jumps, I.
Speaker 4: Would you know, there's okay. I will try to make this quick. I don't want to like drown everybody in a long hunt story, but go for it. What for?
Speaker 1: Please?
Speaker 4: So I have this and this is still a heartbreaker, we can This is just another layer to it. So this is a turkey that got away and now a farm that got away. There's this farm in Normandy, Tennessee, which is right outside of Tullahoma there where I grew up, and it was a permission farm. And it was a permission farm.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I was like, dude, you gotta have that.
Speaker 4: So just through my dad like this, this uh gentleman had you know, this farm and it was a beautiful farm and overlooked Normandy Lake. And I had a bunch of turkeys on it. And so me and my high school buddy that we used to have the cam camp quarter. You know, we're hunting this farm year after year and had some incredible hunts. Well we start, we get this gobbler that we've been after for a long time and we can't ever get him. Off of uh this TVA hill. He always hangs up over there, so we're like, hey, today, let's just get aggressive on him.
Speaker 2: So like it was to get aggressive.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we uh we had something hang up on the west side of the farm. We come back to this guy. Well, let's go try him because he always hung out over here, and like, let's just get aggressive. And I don't know if you'll remember this slate calls old yeller. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Absolutely.
Speaker 4: At the time, it was like what all the turkeys were reacting to. And so I had that. I forget what he had. He had another slate and he starts hitting, and so we're like, all right, let's just have a like a big cut and fight, you know, and we just went hard hard hearted. Well, he starts coming and so how we're sitting. We're across this creek and uh, just trip of pasture. It's probably thirty yards. It's not far, but there's a there's an old fence.
Speaker 1: And a creek. So he's got to come down the hill, across the creek, cross the.
Speaker 4: Creek, across a fence, and then another creek. But if he gets to the fence, he's within thirty Okay, So I'm like shoot, we'll popping through this fence.
Speaker 2: Money yeah, money time.
Speaker 4: And uh so we get him down and this sucker pops out of this creek bottom and he has two ropes. I'm talking big. You see him, and this is the first time we had seen him, not knowing he had two giant double beers, you know. Gosh, boom, I smoke him, drop him. We start celebrating. No man look back, and this joker pops up and start run. He's boom and cut my buddy Cody at the time.
Speaker 1: Boo boo boo.
Speaker 2: Yeah, fired at anything.
Speaker 4: Nothing. So we jumped the fence, take off running. He's had to back up his hill and there's like cuts through this field in this brush and he's like popping it out trying to reload. Gets away. Never find look for days for him, never really so that would be the one that got away. And then years later the farm gets away from us, and it's like that's a now, you know, every time I go home, I pass it. I'm like, God, I've never killed another double beard.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we killed double beards.
Speaker 2: I don't know that I've killed a triple bearded goblin jake one time. Yeah that I couldn't see, but yeah.
Speaker 4: I'm seeing like you know, you get a beard in like a couple of little minis. Yeah, this sucker had like two ponytails.
Speaker 2: Two tens, two tens.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and of course that's the one that falls over and then decides that he's wild beau.
Speaker 2: I've heard of deer. I mean, I've shot a deer. Plenty of deer that have five watched fall, get up, take off, never found them. I've never heard of somebody dropping a turkey. The turkey jump back up, running off and.
Speaker 1: They'll find them.
Speaker 3: That's why it definitely happens. We killed double beards last year, now that I remember it. But they were the little sprigs like you're talking rutting off the.
Speaker 2: Big well, the ones we killing your place.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I was able to get, uh, let's talk some turkeys real quick. Yeah, I was able to get. You know, in twenty twenty one, we weren't touring. I was I was like, you know, what, if I'm ever going to get a chance to do the Grand Slam, let's go and uh it about killed me. Even not touring, it about killed us.
Speaker 2: You're going Grand Slam within a year, within a year.
Speaker 4: So within the season, Yes, Osceola is where we started a course in Florida, and man, that was tough hunting down there.
Speaker 1: I have thought only that that might be the only thing in a merit like continental Ola. We haven't it. We haven't hunted Ostiola's.
Speaker 4: Take your mosquitoes, prey and thermoicels and everything you can think of. It opens early, but it's think about Florida, like, they're right on the Everglades where as birds are, you know, because you get easterns once you get north of that. So we're down there in the Everglades. It's hot, but like, no, only mosquitoes will kill you down there. You've got snakes, gators, panthers. Our last morning we got there and there's a bear. There's a bear track.
Speaker 1: There's definitely there's a lot of bears about that.
Speaker 4: They're all eating turkeys. So you're calling. You've got decoys beside you, and you're calling like a turkey, and it's just so dumb to be down there doing that. It's so dumb.
Speaker 2: I've seen a video of somebody sitting I don't know, it might have been somebody we knew, sitting there calling a turkey and just on the road bed it's two tracks and this panthers, a black panther.
Speaker 1: It's like, what is crazy? Man, Florida?
Speaker 2: Have you got wild?
Speaker 4: Have y'all Have y'all seen the python?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I've seen you check him out.
Speaker 2: I've got to go.
Speaker 4: I think I might have to go on a hunt with it.
Speaker 2: It gets wild, Python cowboy.
Speaker 4: You can like, I don't want to do the python thing. I'm good on that. I'm gonna let him do that. I want to do that. The air rifle best control.
Speaker 1: Yeah, man, whether they' shooting iguanas or something out.
Speaker 4: There, all the invasive iguanas and then make some boots out of them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they eat me.
Speaker 2: You wouldn't.
Speaker 4: I try it, but I'm not going to.
Speaker 1: Like, I think it's just probably frog. It's just a beefed up frog. Probably.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I missed that, man. I haven't frog gigged in a long time, y'all frog gig man.
Speaker 1: We don't have time.
Speaker 2: The only time, the only time we got a story about that. Only time I've ever been frogging was we were down and West Tennessee story.
Speaker 1: I was in the boat. I was in the boat.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, it's the only time I've ever been frog again, and we went down there and this dude's red Man, He's super red and he comes up strap he's got a twenty two.
Speaker 1: Red is not even a good description. I mean, he is beyond the most wacko human in the world. But you know that, and you're not. He wouldn't mind.
Speaker 3: He would love for me to say, you got that guy in high school that like drives the giant truck and wears like the Pooka necklace and like the flip philosophies just this that he's this guy, right, But he's he's a great he's a great fisherman. He loves the hunt, and he's just a completely out of the box human. Like there's no way I could have him on this podcast because it would just turn into like aliens and insanity before we ever got out of here.
Speaker 1: And he but he's sneakily like a.
Speaker 2: Very good shot, pretty good woodsman too, just all just for sure. Yeah, he lives and literally lives in it. And so he asked us to go frog gig and so we piling there and.
Speaker 4: Are all using a gig or he's shooting.
Speaker 1: Them both mostly gigging, but he has like a pistol on his hip right.
Speaker 2: It's like a six shoot or twenty two.
Speaker 1: I can't make this up, dude. I can't make this up.
Speaker 3: And I'm not one for like animals come after you, because they generally don't. Man Like, even if you think one's coming after you, it's probably not.
Speaker 1: But that night, on that wake, a snake comes out of.
Speaker 4: I was gonna ask you guys, this actually, dude.
Speaker 3: It comes out of the bank and it's coming towards us, and he's like, man, you shoe that snake Oarders And I was like, yeah, I do.
Speaker 1: I think maybe we need to back up. And God is my witness.
Speaker 2: Hey wait, if we're sitting there, this snake's coming towards I'm like, hey man, I'm sitting in the front of the boat. I'm like, hey man, you need you need to back up.
Speaker 1: Bro.
Speaker 2: This thing's getting and I mean it's out, mouth open, coming at it.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 3: It sees us and literally goes mouth open and it's and I think it was probably just trying to intimidate, but it goes mouth open and comes at the boat like this, and we.
Speaker 2: Were like oh, And then I mean a split second, dude, you just feel the back of the boat rock crots, grabs a gig, takes the gig over us left handed, get into snake here, holds it up into the thing. This snake is doing this gig.
Speaker 3: He's hit him aout halfway down, so he's still got a foot down like this flashed like a from the snake's head goes front.
Speaker 1: From the head goes, God, we're not on level ground. This is a canoe.
Speaker 2: Canoe.
Speaker 1: He's like, sou God, and the thing goes. We were like, dude, I mean something, best have you'all ever heard? So?
Speaker 4: I had a roommate in Nashville from Paris. Paris, he said, obviously big duck hunting a lot of swamps out there, right right.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: He said that you can go out and they would do this and they would take a bunch of you know, shot you know, shells, and you'd get a couple of guys in each boat and you would shoot a snake and then for whatever reason, the vibration from that more snakes would come at the boat, and it was like zombie apocalypse? Is that? Is there any truth of this?
Speaker 1: That kind of happened that night? Honestly, we ended up killing like six or seven snakes. I don't think it's vibration. It may be.
Speaker 3: I what I've understood to be is a the motor Yeah, older that a snake under some anxiety.
Speaker 4: Whatever you call got it and more come at it and more come.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because I've definitely heard of people, especially cotton mouse. Now, look, this is not one hundred percent certain this could be complete. That sounds so horseshit.
Speaker 4: Well you've heard it, he's told me.
Speaker 2: But but probably there's a likelihood that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but we also all thought that what was sindbad was a was he remember the shazam? Then? Yeah? We also Marylyn Manson pulled out two ribs. Remember. Sure, nobody knows if that's true or not either. I'm just saying I think it's true, but I cannot.
Speaker 2: Be certain they do amit an odor?
Speaker 1: Wait, says who Google?
Speaker 2: This is according to in distress, the snakes do emit an odor, especially foul odor that's easy to trace.
Speaker 1: Does it attract.
Speaker 2: And lead you to it?
Speaker 4: There you go?
Speaker 1: That sounds pretty tried to that's smart on that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, sorry anybody. I mean I think that would be like the scarier cousin of you know, shooting silver carp or something done in order to.
Speaker 1: Do that though you have to be in a highly snake invested area.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's not snakes to get me though, spiders get me to snakes man.
Speaker 2: Spiders, snake. I feel like I'm going to die either by a rattlesnake or a grizzly attack. That's how I felt, which be sick, but that's how I kind of feel.
Speaker 4: Like grizzly would suck, but it'd be kind of cool.
Speaker 2: To Yeah, it wou'd be a cool story that was out there. You know what, do you nothing about?
Speaker 4: How much rather like grizzly than a shark, because like, at least you get halfway appreciate it happening, because you.
Speaker 2: Like, yeah, in a moment, you're like, this is in the ocean.
Speaker 4: You can't see it, and you're just what, it's all possibility.
Speaker 2: We're all going to go one day.
Speaker 4: The better Here's what's crazy. The better possibility was think about this in Mexico last week. I'm sitting there, I'm chilling out, drinking and I'm like sketchy all the time, and it's windy, and I'm like, I get to thinking about sharks because I'm like, I ain't getting an ocean today. That's so dumb, and then I start running the stats. I'm like, wait a second, coconuts kill more people than anything any animal. I think every year I look up and I'm like, I gotta get out of it. So I just start scouting all the coconut trees.
Speaker 1: We get back to my room.
Speaker 2: Man, we've been jumping the ocean.
Speaker 4: Yeah, We've been there so many years. We have like this. We stay down the beach aways and it's this compound of four homes. It's incredible spot. But then you know, in between all the houses or coconut trees, and I'm like trying to map out how I'll walk out to the van to get because I'm like, you know, there's a better chance of dying for one of these.
Speaker 3: I mean, I say this, this happened for a fact, and it was I think last year they were saying that we're we vacationing in Florida. Thirty A beach was the deadliest beach in the world at last year, like with waves coming and pulling people out. There's this insane undertow thing that was happenings and there were shark attacks.
Speaker 1: Right, So I'm down there with my wife's family. You know, kids are screaming.
Speaker 3: It's like, dude, give me five minutes myself right before I know it, Like, I'm pretty far. I mean, it's like chess high water, you know. So I'm like, I'm better get back in this a little sketch. So I start coming back and I meet my other a brother law of mine, and we're we're probably the belly button, you know, so we're looking at we're sitting out there and I hear like a commotion to down the beach. I was close with the beach to hear like, you know, didn't think anything about it. Simultaneously, I see. The only way I know to describe it. I can see it in my brain right now is like a lateral laying refrigerator, except silver coming right here and it goes it does the thing like this thing. And I'm like, hey, Adam, do you and He's like back up, back up, back up, And I was like, so we just start kind of like squeegeeing back, and as we do, I was like, hey, man, like I'm like you saw what I and and he was like, yes, get back, we got to get that.
Speaker 1: We start, we start going back and the people down the beach are like, did you see it. Did you see it? Did you see it?
Speaker 3: And I couldn't even talk to I mean it was I mean I see it right now in my brain and and and everybody's like, oh, it wasn't. And I'm like, dude, it might have been like some weird giant to ray tarping things. But people from the beach were seeing it and screaming down the beach like, hey man.
Speaker 4: Probably the big hammerhead or something.
Speaker 3: I'm telling you, dude, I was. I ain't even dipping my toe in that. I didn't even take a bath for two weeks.
Speaker 4: That's one of those Like and now I think about I used to love getting in the ocean and surfing and man, now just man, it's weird. That's probably one of those. Like, if I've developed any sort of phobia through the years, it's got to be the ocean now, which is so weird.
Speaker 2: It's you know, what's out there like that Rogan calls.
Speaker 4: It monster soup. It's like spot on, you know, it's so weird, pretty great, crazy, Like we have no idea what's going on.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, I don't know what the stat is.
Speaker 4: Man. They taste good, yeah, sharks no, Well, I don't know about sharks. I've probably had a shark, yeah, you know, yeah, hey this is a yeah, it's probably shark.
Speaker 1: But ocean fish.
Speaker 4: Fresh water, Yeah, I don't know, man, what's your favorite fresh water fish to eat?
Speaker 1: I mean, we have a we have a fish which is a cousin to a walle I called a man.
Speaker 4: I've got a couple of those.
Speaker 1: I can't. I mean, that's that's number one for me. Right under that though, it is brim.
Speaker 3: I actually posted to our thing the other day like, hey, guess what this fish is, and it took forever.
Speaker 1: For somebody to guess. Brim was like catfish, that's cross.
Speaker 2: Which I found interesting.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was like, no, dude, that's breas obviously golden brim. But the thing is, most people don't fill at their brim. They just spoon them down and cook them whole like this. So I guess that's that's where it came from. My kids love them, everybody loves these.
Speaker 2: Can't beat the good old fish for I just catfished out, dude.
Speaker 4: I've had so, me too, I mean like a couple of times a year. But yeah, I would rather crop.
Speaker 2: Your crappy as a crappy your face.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but I'll tell you, like shockingly enough, you know old Hickory that July August, the striple little striple getting jumps. You can catch them every cast.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's the white fun fish. And they're not terrible fish, dude. If you soak them over now, they're not bad.
Speaker 4: Yeah. I was gonna say I did that, you know. I mean you got to you gotta be careful with the bones and all. But yeah, if you soak them, and then like I'll tell you, I cooked mine in a cooking oil and its sweetened it up a little bit, really phenomenal.
Speaker 1: Do you live it in salt water over now? And had you do it? Yeah?
Speaker 4: Yep, Yeah, it was actually really good and it shocked me.
Speaker 3: But we used see them all the time back home because they're on the Tennessee River. It's like you're talking about, dude.
Speaker 2: We would they pile up in there and we go catch crawfish out of a creek and throw and rip them in half, put tails on, put heads on, and do every castro.
Speaker 4: So you can catch a hundred in afternoon, fill five gallon buckets so much.
Speaker 1: That's what we did.
Speaker 3: We would literally feel just fill five gallon buckets up and early, I mean gets pretty big.
Speaker 1: I mean there'll be two and a half two bounds.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we would. We would leave Nashville when they would start running. We'd leave Nashville and go down there and spend a day doing it. Man, it's just so much fun.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's fun. We also eat bass. I know, we're not supposed to be weave bass.
Speaker 4: I really love basket too, I know too.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And the thing about like having that lake behind the house that he said, one thing about management is if you're trying to grow a trophy bass lake, every bass you catch under fourteen inches, rip.
Speaker 1: It out of there. Yea.
Speaker 2: So we're we're frowing them up all time. They're great, as you should, no at all, you gotta do it.
Speaker 4: It was it was cool, you know. Following Yeah, we know Luke Bryan's avid fisherman, but following him trying to get his first double digit you know, out of his out of his leg. He finally got I think it was last year.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he did. Do you remember that post he was holding that giant, the big one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a.
Speaker 4: Giant he fished down there. No I haven't. Yeah, I've been down there. I haven't fished it yet.
Speaker 3: He's kind of close to us. That's kind of where we're in that neck of the woods down south.
Speaker 1: We missed anything song?
Speaker 2: Yeah, what's your what's your favorite country song? What's your what's your if you've got one, if you could listen to one song for the rest of your.
Speaker 1: Life, name something that have been named. So he knows kind of the uh boys like me. I don't know, there's been just like the ones.
Speaker 4: You know, I would say, man, and we actually I had a little bit of a selfish playlist last week and put yourself all over in Mexico. Now I want to play some songs that are my favorites and and I all said, answer that question of what made the set list? Is time marches on t L Dude, I don't know.
Speaker 1: It's just uh.
Speaker 4: And I'm still like I've heard it a thousand times, I've sung it a thousand times, and like it still makes me feel something and it's forever will ring true on at least America. Yeah about everything Like that scenario.
Speaker 1: Is I feel like in the in the nineties Prime tal was hard to touch. Dude, he had some shame. You know.
Speaker 4: What's sneaky about him is like he had eighteen number one.
Speaker 2: Like, that's a lot.
Speaker 4: It's one of those concerts you go to and you were like, oh that one, yeah, oh that one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, these are that one. Yeah, dude, I love him. Man, that's great. That's dude. You're legiti hell Man.
Speaker 4: Thank you guys. Come back man, please, I'll promise you I'll have a lot more stories once we get through Turkey.
Speaker 2: You're great, man.
Speaker 4: I think I'm just saying there's gonna be more to the pot. That's why we love around and tell the story.
Speaker 1: Let's kills part of it.
Speaker 2: I would venture to say this is going to be the best podcast voice from something from a guest that we have this.
Speaker 3: Pro voice, best podcast teeth. You got some good teach, no doubt what you dude.
Speaker 2: Your voice is just like it was made to be in front of a microphone.
Speaker 1: Man, he didn't ask what about what do you mean? Teeth you got?
Speaker 4: I give him some giant teeth.
Speaker 1: No, I gianna look great, dude.
Speaker 4: You can God bless you with pain. Real, dude, it's a pain to eat at these things.
Speaker 1: It isn't.
Speaker 4: I ended up more steak in my teeth than I did going down my hat.
Speaker 2: They look good, They look just a little appetite.
Speaker 4: Always have floss in my pocket everywhere y'all.
Speaker 2: Dustin lynch Man, thanks for coming hanging out with us, and thanks for hanging out in God's country. We'll see all next time.